Speaker 1: Beginning in nineteen twenty six, a string of murders targeting women renting out rooms in their homes began appearing across the United States and even into Canada. Each victim had allowed a man into their home, and each was killed in nearly identical circumstances. At the time, there was no system in place to track crimes across jurisdictions, and the cases remained disconnected. It wasn't until much later that investigators began to understand that they were dealing with a single individual moving from city to city. Eventually, descriptions of this individual began to come out. He was hunched over, physically strong, with oversized hands. Now this description would soon lead to an ominous nickname that would go down in serial killer history. This is the story of the man known as the Gorilla Killer.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcast. Warning the following.
Speaker 1: Material audience listener discretion. I'm going to be honest today, one hundred percent honest, because I think it's important for people to be honest. I'm in a funk. I am in a funk. I feel like depressed. The last couple of days. Just I think weather winter is getting to me. It's still it's an all depression. It is snowing right now here I want so.
Speaker 2: Bad, but in reality it's only April seven, So it's like, I don't feel like it's super abnormal that it's snowing right now.
Speaker 1: For our area. Maybe, but we have a lot more cold and snow than typical, and I'm just I'm so done with it.
Speaker 2: Well, I think what it really is is that Mother Nature has been toying with us, and we've had a lot of springs and then it's gone fall springs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think mother Nature's kind of a bitch. I think she's kind of a bit.
Speaker 2: At the moment. I guess she's being that way to Northern BC people.
Speaker 1: Definitely, she can fuck off. Oh my goodness, I'm sorry. I'm just being honest.
Speaker 2: I know. Well, right before we hit record, its like, okay, like, what can we do today to make you feel a little better? What would be something that excites you? Maybe we should figure that out. Yeah, so we might go to a virtual golf simulator.
Speaker 1: Go simulate summer. That's what we're gonna do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we do have a place open that's outside, But do you want to be doing that when it's snowing? So maybe going indoors where you're going to have it some nachos or something might be a little better.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for sure, for sure. But I just wanted to say that and be honest with you, just to let you know that everyone goes through it, Everyone has their ups, their downs, keep fighting. I'm going to keep fighting too. I'm going to get to happiness here soon. Not that I'm not happy.
Speaker 2: I'm just in a funk, you know, Yeah, I mean, what would it be if we were just always happy? I feel like sometimes you have to be in those funks because it makes the happy moments even better.
Speaker 1: There you go. That's a good way of putting it. I like that like that a lot. I'm not going to do any fancy transition today because I'm too much in a funk. I'm just going to go straight into thanking our amazing patron members who signed up this week. We have a big list. We have Courtney A net Bro, Gabriel Herbine, Raven Locke, Meta organ Works, Bonnie mathany A, Neetra Don and jam A Lama ding dong Hey, Red Gussie Susan McLean, Killie Graves, Christy Massey, Leanne Jeensen, and Joe h It's good list names. It good list of some amazing people.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Wow, I can't actually believe that we're we still get that many on some weekly basises.
Speaker 1: I know the support is crazy. I think basis is right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so that's awesome.
Speaker 1: I like that. Thank you, yes, thank you so much. And there was a little bit of content that I promise last episode it is going to be coming out over there today and yeah, of course there's there's lots over there. I'm just going to leave it at that. How's that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that last story was pretty wild, but this one sounds I don't know, as a female, I feel like it sounds scary.
Speaker 1: I suppose, Oh it's scary. It's a serial killer. And yeah, he's targeting women in a very certain manner. It's it's not pretty Okay. Are you ready for it? Though?
Speaker 2: Yeah, let's do it.
Speaker 1: Okay. Before before we get into the episode, I got to tell you this is a part one of a two parter story. We forgot to say that, So I had to go back and record this and I'm plunking it in for you. Guys, to give you a heads up, this is part one of the Gorilla Killer. So with that being said, let's get into it. Well, in the mid nineteen twenties, there wasn't exactly a word for what was happening. Murders were investigated, you know, one at a time, and if a body was found in one city, then it was assumed it had nothing to do with the case that was happening and unfolding in another city. Police simply worked within their own jurisdictions, you know, building those cases based on what was directly in front of them. If something similar happened somewhere else, it was well, it was coincidence, that was it. Now. On top of that, travel was certainly common. People moved between cities without much documentation. Someone could arrive in one town, rent a room, stay a few days, and leave without much of a trail behind them. There was no centralized system that was tracking anyone's movement, no shared databases connecting any sort of investigations, and no reason to assume that a crime being committed in California might be connected to one, say in Oregon or beyond. And for people living through that exact scenario, everything felt local a woman goes missing, a landlady found dead in her home. A suspect is briefly there but then disappears. Each event was treated as its own tragedy, contained within the boundaries of that single city. There was no consideration of a broader pattern, or no larger framework to place it in, just a series of incidents that didn't quite make sense. Now. It wasn't that signs weren't there. It was just no one had seen them to come together like this before. But before we get too deep into it, I should start at the very beginning. Earl Leonard Ferrell was born on May twelfth, eighteen ninety seven, in San Francisco, California. He would later become known by his mother's surname Nelson, but at birth he was Earl Leonard Ferrell. He was the son of Francis Nelson and James Carlos Ferrell. His life began in a home that was already very unstable to start with. Both of his parents were infected with syphilis, and both would be dead before he was old enough to remember them. His mother died when he was still an infant, and his father followed not long after, leaving him orphaned. Before he turned only two years old.
Speaker 2: Oh man, that is harsh.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and at that time, syphilis was a very dangerous disease. WHOA Okay, Now, we don't know a lot about his parents, but what we do know is that their relationship appears to have been troubled even before Earle was conceived. One of the more detailed sources described James as a heavy drinker who spent money on alcohol and sex workers, and says Francis was left in increasingly desperate circumstances while pregnant and then a course caring for the baby alone. So by the time Earle was born, Francis was already seriously ill, and the discovery that she had advanced syphilis at the time during her labor only confirmed how bleak the situation was, so much so that there was an immediate concern that the infection could be passed along to Earl himself. Though the accounts agreed that he survived infancy without any obvious signs of congenital infections. What mattered more in the short term was that his mother was no longer in a condition to raise him, at least certainly not for long, because she passed away. Now, after both parents did die, Earle was taken in by his mother's family in San Francisco. There he was raised mostly by his maternal grandmother, Jenny Nelson, and other family members there were as well, Like you know, in the household, there was his grandfather Lars Nelson as well, plus their younger children, Willis and Lillian. Religion also seem to have been a very large part of that environment where he was brought up, though this is one of the places where sources start to differ from one another. Several accounts describe the household as very deeply Pentecostal and very strict, and they say that Earl was raised around strong religious ideas from a very young age. Now. At the same time, some also mention the fact that his childhood religious upbringing could have been overstated in many of the retellings of this case. So the safest way to tell this is religion was present in his home, but the extent is mostly unknown now. Even as a young child, sources described Earl as very withdrawn. He was moody and strange in ways that stood out to a lot of the people around him. Some accounts say that he talked to people no one else could see that He quoted scripture very loudly, and often. He would leave for school clean and ready for the day, but he would return home wearing different clothes, ones that were dirty, ratty, and torn. He was often described as isolated and for some reason seemingly resistant to normal social interaction, and many adults even noticed something was off with him. He attended school in San Francisco, but that didn't last long. At just seven years old, he was expelled. The exact reasons very depending on the account, but they all point to the same direction. His behavior was disruptive and it was concerning enough for the school to decide that he could not remain there.
Speaker 2: At seven years old.
Speaker 1: At seven years old.
Speaker 2: I feel like that is something you don't hear very often.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, of course he did go back to other schools and stuff, but that's definitely a big old red flesh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, at that age that young.
Speaker 1: Now at home, similar patterns were playing out. He had difficulty interacting with other children and seemed to withdraw into himself. Reportedly, he would speak very loud to people, but as I mentioned, people were not there. He would also fixate on ideas and repeat them obsessively. There were also physical traits that people noticed too. Now, Earle was not particularly tall by any sense, but he developed unusually large hands and feet for his size. Combined with his now stocky build that was growing, it gave him a physical appearance that didn't match his age. And at the time it was just another detail, but later on in life it would become part of how his witnesses would identify him.
Speaker 2: There was another detail that made him stand out and not be this similar as everyone else.
Speaker 1: Exactly. He couldn't blend in quite as easy. Now. Food was another area where he stood out to One account described him refusing normal meals and instead mixing some kind of scraps together and eating far more than expected for a child his age. I even read one report, though this one didn't seem I couldn't back up this account, but it's interesting to note at least this idea. The report stated how he would smother his food in olive oil and consume it without utensils.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's interesting. I actually feel like that would not be good at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't think so either. Now, again, that's a report I could not confirm, but it at least helps betray the idea.
Speaker 2: But maybe it was just I don't know, playing devil's advocate here, that his body needed something right, and so he gravitated to olive oil. And that's like what fueled him, or potentially, who knows, whatever was in there his body craved.
Speaker 1: It's possible. It's a good way of looking at it. Actually, your body does tend to crave things that well, it needs write certain vitamins and foods and minerals and stuff. So it makes sense now whether these were isolated behaviors or part of a very much so larger pattern, it's hard to say, but they added to that growing sense that something about Earl was different and not in the way that people understood. Now, at the age of around ten or eleven, something happened that would be remembered by nearly every single account of Earl Nelson's life. A serious accident had left him unconscious for days and marked a very clear shift on how he was described afterwards. Now, reportedly, Earl was riding his bike through San Francisco when he was showing off in the streets to some other kids, and during this he ended up having an accident where he collided with a car. Now, the impact was severe, as he struck his head on the pavement hard enough to cause a significant skull injury. Reportedly, it left a visible wound near his temple, and he was taken into the hospital very quickly, and for a time it wasn't clear if he was even going to survive there. He remained unconscious in the hospital for around six days, and for a child, that kind of head trauma is extremely serious, and the expectation from doctors at the time was if he even did live, he might not fully recover. But against that though, Earle did regain consciousness and he recovered enough to return to daily life, but the people around him would later say that something had changed in him. He was weird before, but he got a little more odd now. Afterwards, he began to experience a lot of ongoing issues. He complained of frequent headaches and memory problems. There were reports of what were described as spells, moments where he seemed disconnected or not fully aware of what was happening around him. His behavior also became a lot more erratic, where he had already been very withdrawn and difficult before, while those traits now appeared much more pronounced. He was described even more as being moody and unpredictable and very much so more difficult to engage with. The combination of his earlier behaviors and the changes following the accident had shaped the way people saw him. He wasn't just a quiet or troubled kid anymore. He was someone who made people feel uneasy. Now. Unfortunately, as Earl moved into his teenage years, the instability had been building through his childhood and it didn't level out. It expanded into new areas of his life too. By his early teens, he had started spending a lot more time out of the structure of his family home, particularly in areas of San Francisco that exposed him to things most kids his age wouldn't have been. Around. The Barbary Coast, known at the time for its bars, brothels and nightlife, became one of the places that he frequented. It was there that he began drinking alcohol regularly and engaging in early sexual experiences. And he's what just early early teens.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh my goodness, gracious.
Speaker 1: Yes, so we're talking thirteen, fourteen, fifteen years old.
Speaker 2: That's pretty scary to be around that stuff at that age, because obviously it's not going to do you well at all?
Speaker 1: Certainly not. And of course as well, you have to consider the fact that, well, this is a child and he's engaging with these behaviors with adults. Okay, so that alone can do a lot for someone's psychological development.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Now It's important to note as well that this wasn't occasional behavior. He was often drinking to excess, visiting these brothels, and spending time and environments that were very chaotic and unregulated on a very frequent basis. And at some point during these years he also contracted a venereal disease, which would stay with him and become another part of his medical and personal history. But I digress.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: While all this was going on, Earle continued to struggle with anything resembling any sort of stability in his life. He didn't stay in school, he didn't build consistent relationships, and he didn't move towards any kind of structured path the way most people around him would have expected, or at least hoped. Instead, he drifted between odd jobs and periods of inactivity, never holding on to anything for very long. Now, as he continued growing as a young man does physically, he was developing in a different direction. He became strong, noticeably so. Multiple accounts described him as having unusually powerful an unusually powerful upper body. He could perform physical feats that people remembered, like walking on his hands for extended distances or lifting up objects with his teeth alone. Combined this with his large hands his stocky frame, it gave him a very intimidating and distinctive presence, making him very memorable to those he encountered. Now, as he moved further into his late teens, the gap between him and a normal life widened. Earle wasn't setting into work, family, or even a community. He was drifting between places and increasingly between legal boundaries as well. On July twenty fifth, nineteen fifteen, at just eighteen years old, Earl was arrested for robbery. Now, the charge came out of Plymouth County, California, and it marked his very first serious entry into the criminal justice system. See. Up to that point, there had been signs that he was struggling sure socially, mentally, and even behaviorally, but this was different. This was a clear, documented crime, and in fact, it resulted in a prison sentence. He was sent to San Quentin state prison and given a two year sentence for his crime. Now, for someone his age, it was a very significant moment. Prison was not just a punishment. It was supposed to be a turning point, a place of reform, where someone might come out with the clear direction or at least a stronger sense of consequences. But in Earle's case, though, that didn't happen. He was paroled and released on September sixth, nineteen sixteen, after serving thirteen months and twelve days. But whatever the expectation that was there that he would, you know, stabilize after prison, right, that didn't hold. Instead, the pattern of drifting and instability continued almost immediately. In March of nineteen seventeen, less than a year after his release, he was arrested once again, this time under the alias Clark for petty larceny. Now he was sentenced to another six months in jail. The use of an alias is a small detail, but it was one that showed up repeatedly after that later on in his life. Even at this stage, he was already moving between identities and not staying tied to one name or place for very long. Now, two years later, in March of nineteen nineteen, he was arrested once again, this time in Los Angeles for burglary, and like before, he was using a different name, which was Feral. He was held in the Los Angeles County Jail, but this time something different happened. After serving about five months, Earl actually escaped prison, and it introduced a new pattern, not just committing crimes but actively avoiding confinement. Now around this same time, he also attempted to enter the military, not once, but multiple times. He enlisted in the Army and then later in the Navy, but each attempt followed the same sort of pattern. He would join, remain there for a short time, and then disappear. In some cases he deserted it outright, in others he was discharged after showing signs of instability. Though by the end of this period, Earl Nelson had already served time in prison, been arrested for multiple times under different names, and escaped custody, while also failing to remain in any sort of structured environment, even like the military. By nineteen eighteen and into nineteen nineteen, the pattern of his behavior and his life had become very clear. Short periods of structure followed by instability followed by disappearance. But around this time something else changed, Something changed in how authorities began to view him. He was no longer just a repeat offender. He was now being seen as someone who was mentally unstable as well. After his repeated issues with the military and his erratic behavior, he came into contact with medical professionals who began evaluating him very closely. Now, a naval psychiatrist eventually described him as being in what they called a continual psychotic state, a term used at the time to describe someone who was fundamentally unstable in a way that wasn't expected to improve. Because of this, he was soon committed to a mental institution, and this marked the beginning of another cycle that would repeat itself over it over for the next several years. It would go something like confinement, escape, return, and then release, and so Earle repeatedly escaped care Some accounts suggested he got out multiple times in relatively short periods, and rather than being consistently brought back or more tightly controlled, there were moments where the staff simply failed to enforce strict containment, and this created a situation where he was moving in and out of custody without any sort of long term solution being put into place. Now. In between these periods of confinement, he attempted to live something resembling a normal life, at least for him anyways. At one point he did find some work and he was employed as a janitor in a hospital, and during that time, in about nineteen nineteen, he met and married a woman named Mary Martin, and the age difference between them was very significant. He wasn't the older one, though she was decades older than he was most accounts, she was close to forty years his senior, and the relationship itself was unstable from the very beginning, like.
Speaker 2: There was a forty year age difference, or she.
Speaker 1: Was forty, there was a forty year age difference. She was forty years older than him by most accounts. Oh, whoa, okay, yeah, that's a lot. That's a big age gap.
Speaker 2: Because I know, especially back then, I don't think the age gaps didn't seem as big of a deal, right, Yeah, but generally did seem like the man was older. But forty that's significant.
Speaker 1: That is very significant. Yeah, and especially for this time, like you said, the age gaps weren't very much a thing, and it was typically the men who were older, which in hindsight is just predatory behavior. But I digress. But yeah, she's forty years older than him.
Speaker 2: Okay, And I just have to also say, this is so interesting. We haven't done a serial killer case really for a while, and it's so interesting just how you it's just you can just it's just a brewer really right, Like it's you go through all that their upbringing and stuff, and it's just like okay, wow, like that is fucked up.
Speaker 1: Some of the shit they go through.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you just know, bad shit it's about to happen.
Speaker 1: Oh, no kidding. And trust me when I say, I think I'm going to start going on a train of serial killers here for a while at least, you know, looking for more of them to do in the show, like sort of thing more recently because it's been so longs to be covered these cases. And the interesting thing is we start to dissect as what you're kind of alluding to, their background, their upbringing, and you get to look at how a serial killer came to be. Now there's no specific recipe to say, well that's the moment that became a serial killer. There's you know, there's product of environment, and there's product of people even say, you know what, being born a killer, a serial killer, a monster. But there are patterns, which is interesting. But what I find most interesting about this case is almost everything about is upbringing was was different. What do you mean there's no specific thing where you can say, oh, well, that's like Jeffrey Dahmer, or that's like this killer or that killer, or this person or that person. He is a very unique individual.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, for sure. But it definitely is portraying like a very unstable environment, which I feel often is kind of the key.
Speaker 1: For sure. Yeah, the unstable environment is a very big factor. You're right. But the unstable environment he is in, it's a product of almost his own finding, not like he was having people bring him into it. It wasn't like he had suffered at severe abuse from his parents and then moved on to say, well okay, I get abused, so I'm going to abuse other people or those sort of patterns. It's just well, it's unstable. That's the only factor that seems to be transferable.
Speaker 2: And it does seem like they're I mean, I guess going into the hospital and stuff. It seems like maybe they're people out there trying to help. But also I think they're realizing I guess back then they're incapable of kind of helping him.
Speaker 1: I don't know if it's that they're realizing they're uncapable. I have a feeling it's also not too concerned about it.
Speaker 2: Okay, like he is just what he is, but he's not going to do anything other than kind of like these petty little crimes or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and like when you look at the history of how people treated quote unquote mentally unstable patients, well, what did they do? Locked them up, lobotomized them, They didn't really do much with them. Yeah, they're just oh, they're I'm not going to use the R word, but that's kind of how they treated them. They're they're that right, And they just looked at them as disposable and whatever. That was their attitude. Yeah, So it wasn't a matter of can we fix them. I mean, there was the can we fix them in the term of like you're a science project, But they didn't look at them as people, as humans.
Speaker 2: That's true. Yeah, when you see the facilities that they had back then, it really wasn't very great.
Speaker 1: No, So honestly, I'm not too surprised he would start trying to escape those situations. I can't blame them for that aspect. But back to the topic of you know, the patterns, there is that pattern of the broad, you know, behavior of an unstable upbringing, but there's no specific point to say that's what caused any of it, or any sort of unstability. Right. But now back to this marriage with this woman that was forty years his senior. This marriage wasn't exactly any sort of sunshine and rainbows. I want to make that clear. Accounts describe his behavior during this marriage as very erratic and very difficult. I mean, he was kind of like that anyways. But he reportedly refused to bathe, He had sudden mood swings, and struggled to function in any sort of consistent normal way. Earle also wanted to have sex on a nightly basis, and his wife Mary would sometimes well not be in the mood, which is very reasonable.
Speaker 2: Especially if your partner isn't bath Yeah her bathe, Yeah, I get that.
Speaker 1: Now. She reportedly was a very religious woman, so what happened when she did refuse deeply disturbed her, and I'm sure it would disturb many people who weren't even religious, because Earle would just then openly begin to masturbate and take care of himself next to her in bed. If she refused, okay, just quite literally take matters into his own hand.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, oh gosh. I was like yep, but then I realized.
Speaker 1: Well. Needless to say, the relationship didn't last long. Mary eventually left him, and the marriage ended as abruptly as it began. Earle moved on and his life continued as it always had. He continued to suffer from severe headaches, and there were even reports of fainting episodes still. In one instance, he even fell from the ladder at work during one of these episodes and was hospitalized again for another head injury. Even in that setting, though he didn't remain under supervision for very long, as he just escaped once again, leaving the hospital with his head still bandaged up. They were also increasing reports of hallucinations and paranoia with Earle. He had apparently been hearing voices more and more and even believing that people were trying to harm him. Now, whether these symptoms were consistent or episodic, it's very difficult to say, since Earle often refused to stay for any sort of medical assistance, but they were serious enough that medical professionals certainly took notice when they did have them in their care. Now, by nineteen twenty one, Earl Nelson had already spent years drifting through jobs that didn't last, and time in prison and time in institutions, and repeated attempts to fit into some kind of structure that never held. But up to this point, his criminal record had been mostly centered around theft and disorder, but that all changed in May of that year. On May nineteenth, nineteen twenty one, Earl approached a home in San Francisco, and he used a simple excuse to get inside. He told the occupants he was a plumber and that was enough for him to gain entry. He was let in without much suspicion. Once inside, he came into contact with Mary Summers, a twelve year old girl. Now what happened next escalated very quickly. He attempted to assault her, but almost immediately the situation broke down. Mary screamed as he approached her, loudly enough to alert the others in the house. Her brother, who heard the noise, rushed in and interrupted the act before it could go any further. Earle then fled the scene, but it didn't give him much of a head start, as police were soon notified and it didn't take long for them to catch up to him and arrest him. Now, instead of sending him back to prison, he was evaluated and declared insane, and based on that assessment, he was committed to NAPA State Mental Hospital. While they where Earle didn't respond to treatment in any sort of meaningful way. He was described as unpredictable, difficult to manage, and at times openly threatening towards staff. Some medical professionals believed he should remain institutionalized indefinitely, but despite that, the institution was never able to fully contain him. Just like before he escaped, he would slip out and return to the outside world before then being brought back in, and each time this occurred, the system was supposed to hold him, but it showed that same sort of weakness. It wasn't built to keep someone like Earl there permanently. Within these periods of confinement, he was able to move through everyday life in ways that didn't immediately draw attention. He worked some odd jobs, stayed in different places, and blended in when he needed to the line between being institutionalized and being free became that inconsistent and almost fluid normal moments in his life. That's what normal, not the jobs, not being in a place of care, but that in between. There were stretches where he was under supervision, followed by stretches where he wasn't, with no clear system holding anything together, and eventually, on March tenth, nineteen twenty five, Earl Nelson was officially discharged from NAPA State Hospital. The circumstances around that release aren't entirely clear, but what stands out is that it wasn't a result of stable recovery. This was someone who had already shown violent behavior, who'd been labeled mentally unstable, and who had repeatedly escaped from care. Yet by March of nineteen twenty five, he was no longer confined.
Speaker 2: Oh no, okay, Yeah, this isn't good because especially his last crime there affects a child. Yeah, so this needs to be taken very seriously.
Speaker 1: But it wasn't just the problem now. From there, Like before he began to drift, he moved between cities, took on some short work when he could, and use different names depending on whatever wherever he was for a time there was no confirmed incidents that tied him to any sort of serious violence, and that stretch, however brief it may have been, is part of what makes this period difficult to read clearly. See it creates a gap, one where he was moving from place to place, but not yet connected to anything that would draw attention. There are accounts that suggest he may have begun killing in this gap, which is earlier than what is officially documented. In particular, there are three murders in Philadelphia in late nineteen twenty five, the murder of Ola McCoy, May Murray, and Lilian Wiener, murders that share similarities with what would later come. Each victim was attacked in their own home, and each case there were elements that would eventually become familiar in other investigations. However, these cases are they've never been definitively proven to be his. The connection comes from a combination of witness descriptions, patterns in the crime, and the fact that items belonging to the victims were later linked to a man matching his description. Even so, they remained attributed rather than confirmed. But I digress. So this period sits in a kind of uncertainty this gap in time. On one hand, there is a stretch of time where nothing is officially tied to him, but on the other there are early signs that something may have already been happening, just without evidence needed to fully connect it. What is clear is that by this time in nineteen twenty six, when it began, Earle was once again fully on his own. He was moving freely, using different identities and interacting with people who had no reason to question him. Then on February twentieth, nineteen twenty six, San Francisco, that would all change. Clara Newman was a woman in her early sixties and she had operated a room out of her house at two zero three seven Pierce Street. Like many landladies at the time, she rented out space in her home to supplement her income. A simple sign advertising a vacancy was all it took to bring people to her door. He was a normal arrangement and it didn't attract much attention. But on that afternoon, at around one thirty PM, a man arrived asking about a room, and Clara let him in. Her nephew, Merton, was in the house at the time. He saw the man when he entered and was able to observe him briefly. The man appeared to be around thirty years old, about five foot seven, wearing a mix of clothing that didn't quite match, an army style shirt with cimiliant pants. He had a darker complexion, but nothing about him stood out as immediately alarming. He was just another man responding to the sign in the window. Clara took him upstairs to show him the available room, but he wasn't up there very long. A short time later, the man came back down on his own. He passed Merton and he said something simple, almost very casual, as he walked past. He told him to let Clara know that he would be back at about an hour to rent the room, and then he left the house. Nothing about this exchange was out of the ordinary. It was a regular kind of interaction, in fact, that could have happened dozens of times without anyone ever remembering it, especially for someone showing the room frequently to potential renters. Yeah, but the hour passed and Clara didn't come back downstairs, and the man didn't come back either, And at some point Merton went upstairs to check on Clara, and there upstairs he found her dead.
Speaker 2: Oh my goodness, Okay, I wasn't expecting that he had already done it.
Speaker 1: Clara Newman had been strangled to death. A cord had been wrapped tightly around her neck, and there were clear signs that she had struggled. The room showed evidence of what had happened, but there was no sign that there was anyone there anymore. When officers arrived, they had a description of the man who was there earlier, but not much else. There were no fingerprints that tied a known suspect to anything, no obvious trail to follow. The man who had entered the house had just left just as calmly as he arrived, and aside from Merton's brief observations of him, there wasn't anything else to go on.
Speaker 2: That's absolutely brutal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, at that point the case was treated as a single murder, tragic but isolated. Now. Less than two weeks after Clara Newman was found dead, another case appeared, this time outside San Francisco. On March second, nineteen twenty six, in San Jose, California, Laura Beale, a sixty five year old woman who operated a Deer Park apartments building, was found dead inside one of her vacant units. Like Clara, she had been renting out rooms. Like Clara, she had let someone into the space without much of a second thought. Her husband would ultimately be the one who had found her dead. She was strangled with the silk belt from her own dress pulled tightly around her neck. There were clear signs that she had struggled, and further examination showed that she had been sexually assaulted as well. Now the case was investigated on its own. At that time, there was no immediate connection that made the murder of Clara in San Francisco tying to this one. It was a different city, it was different jurisdiction, had no shared system to compare cases in real time. To investigators in San Jose, this was just another violent crime that needed to be solved on its own.
Speaker 2: Well, they probably didn't even know about the other one.
Speaker 1: No, they didn't. Then a few months later, it happened again. In June of nineteen twenty six, back in San Francisco, Lilyan Saint Mary, a sixty three year old woman who also rented rooms in her home, was found dead under similar circumstances. She had shown a man a vacant room. There was a struggle, and like the others, she had been strangled to death. Now by this point, the pattern was becoming a little hard to ignore. Three women, all operating boarding houses or renting rooms, all attacked in their own properties, all strangled after letting someone in. It wasn't enough yet to identify a suspect, but it was enough to raise a bit of a question. Investigators, for the first time began to look at these cases side by side. The way the attacker gained access, the type of victims he chose, and the method he used. They all lined up in a way that didn't seem to feel random. But they weren't the only ones who began to connect the dots. The newspapers started to take notice to but without a name or a face to attach to the crimes, they began to describe the person responsible in broader terms, based on witness descriptions of a stocky build, darker complexion, unusually large hands. Well, the press gave him sensationalized names on their own, things like the dark Strangler and the gorilla killer.
Speaker 2: The gorilla killer oh u okay, I don't know that one kind of freaks me out.
Speaker 1: A little. The names spread quickly, and with them came a growing sense of unease. People were beginning to understand that this might not be a series of unrelated crimes. But still there was a limit to what investigators could do. There was no centralized system or connecting departments across cities or anything like that. Remember this is the nineteen twenties. Information moved slowly. They often relied on written reports, word of mouth, or even newspaper coverage. Even within California, coordination wasn't consistent. What might have been obvious in hindsight was still something that they had to piece together step by step. And while that process was under way, while Earl's killings didn't stop. In Santa Barbara, on June twenty fourth, nineteen twenty six, Ollie Russell, another woman renting out rooms, was found dead after being strangled. As in the previous cases, there were signs of a struggle, but no suspect left behind. In some accounts, neighbors reported hearing unusual noises, something that might have been a disturbance, but nothing that triggered immediate concern or response. By the time anyone realized something was wrong, well, it was already long over with and then less than two months later, on August sixteenth, nineteen twenty six, in Oakland, Mary in this bit was killed the very same way. She too had been renting out of space. She too had allowed someone in her home, and once again the attack followed the same pattern, quick controlled and leaving almost nothing behind for investigators to work with. But by now that pattern was cemented, the victims were similar, the method was consistent, The circumstances lined up too closely to be a coincidence, and investigators no longer asked if the cases were connected. They were operating under the assumption that yes, they in fact were.
Speaker 2: M Well, gosh, he just found a way to get the most easiest victims exactly, and it's like no sign of stopping.
Speaker 1: Really. But even with this profound realization from investigators, they still didn't have what they needed. They had no name, no confirmed identity, no way to track this individual once he left the city. Now, after killing Mary Nisbitt in Oakland, the killings had been building across California, and they seemed to all of a sudden stall out for a short period of time, there were no new cases that clearly followed the same structure that police were After there were no new reports of land ladies found strangled in their homes, no new scenes that matched what investigators had been slowly piecing together. It looked like whatever happened had simply stopped, But the absence didn't mean the danger was gone. It only meant that it moved. In October of nineteen twenty six, nearly two months later, a series of murders began in Portland, Oregon, and they carried the very same detail that had already started to concern investigators in California. It was on October nineteenth when Beta Withers was found dead inside her home. She had been strangled, and after her death, her body had been concealed in a trunk. The discovery of what had happened was made by her teenage son, who came across the scene after the fact. It was a brutal, contained act of violence, carried out in a familiar space, with no immediate explanation for how it happened. But what made it more alarming was what followed. The next day. On October twentieth, another woman, Virginia Grant, was killed the same way, and then on October twenty first. The next day again a third victim, Mabel Fluke, was found dead in the attict of her boarding house.
Speaker 2: This is three days in a row.
Speaker 1: Now, three separate victims, three consecutive days, all within the same city, all showing the same pattern of access control concealment.
Speaker 2: That is next level. Usually you don't hear that they're doing it that close together.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is fast. Now, at that point, investigators important didn't have the benefit of a larger context. They were dealing with what looked like a sudden cluster of three related killings, and their focus was local only, trying to understand who could be responsible for this and how they moved through multiple homes without being stopped. But as information began to circulate beyond the city, the similarities earlier in other cases like California, well they came into the picture as well, and it became hard to say that they were not connected. See the victims in Portland, like those in San Francisco, San Jose in Oakland, where women who had opened their homes to someone, They were operating board boarding houses and renting out rooms, and in each case the person responsible had been allowed inside. The method was consistent as well. Each victim was strangled and in several cases their body had even been hidden somewhere within the home, delaying discovery and giving the killer more time to escape and leave. Looking at the cases side by side, the pattern wasn't subtle. It wasn't just a series of similar crimes. Now, it was a continuation of the same behavior, just appearing in a different city. And just as suddenly as it began in Portland, it stopped. There were no immediate follow up killings in the area, no suspect taken into custody, and no clear direction for investigators to move in. The person responsible had come into the city, committed multiple murders in a short period of time, and then left before anyone had the chance to even try to identify them.
Speaker 2: Oh, that's just disgusting, and usually assaulting all these victims as well.
Speaker 1: Do you know there is evidence of sexual assault in some of them, some of them, but all of them I do not know. And remember this is the nineteen twenties, so all the information is not exactly available, and information that was available has been convoluted over time, and so some of the things you can't definitively find. Even in the one that I was certain of sexual assault, I was not certain of rape, so sexual assault is all I have to go on, Okay for confirmation on that. Now, by the time authorities began to seriously consider the possibility that the same individual was responsible for both California and the Oregon cases, well, he was already gone once again. What started out as a localized problem was now suddenly something much bigger. The killings were out of control, no longer confined to a single region, and the person behind them wasn't staying put in one place long enough to be caught. He was moving between cities, repeating the past, and leaving behind just enough evidence to suggest connection, but not enough to stop him in the moment. Now, for investigators, that shift changed everything. They realized they were trying to track someone who didn't stay put, someone who crossed jurisdictions fast and without warning, and someone who at this point had already shown he could disappear just as quickly as arriving. Now, the biggest problem that investigators were facing wasn't a lack of effort, It was the lack of connection between it all. Each department was working on its own case, building up its reports and following its own leads. In San Francisco detectives had been focused on the early murders tied to the boarding houses. In San Jose and Oakland, similar cases were being investigated, and now in Portland, authorities were dealing with their three killings, and each location had pieces of the same story, but no one had the full picture. At the time, there was no centralized system to tract violent crimes across cities or states. The information surrounding each act didn't move quickly, and it certainly didn't move automatically either. If connections were going to be made, they depended on investigators recognizing patterns on their own or learning about other cases through newspapers, word of mouth, or delayed communication between departments. So think of it this way. You're in San Jose, you're investigating a murder, you're working towards something, You're questioning people, you're trying to find evidence, you have a description, and you wake up one morning after already working on this case for a few weeks, open up the newspaper and you see a report that a week ago someone was killed in the same manner in Portland. And now you need to connect the dots. Now you need to get a hold of people in Portland. You need to see what's happening in their investigation, the information they're finding out, see if the descriptions are the same. How do you even do that?
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, because at the time, this is just almost an impossible task exactly.
Speaker 1: So they were just left trying to catch up in the wake of someone who is moving so fast. By the time they found anything out, he was already killing in a whole other city.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Honestly, even nowadays, that would be a bit difficult. The fact that he's moving around so much like this. Yeah, that's that just makes it seem so daunting. I don't even know how you'd go about it.
Speaker 1: Well, there'd be delays today, like delays through telecommunications or emails or anything. You still need to have the realization that something's happening, and then you, you know what, call email, whatever, alert another jurisdiction in another city, and then relay information back and forth.
Speaker 2: Well, and nowadays too, I think in this kind of situation, you would have, you know, some evidence, some contact with this person right somewhere on a phone or whatever. But back then, he's probably just like there's a sign outside and he's showing up, and these people don't even know his freaking name or anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so there's not even a trail. Yeah, and back then, when you know you have investigators trying to communicate, it's letters, you know what, it takes days, weeks to arrive and then back and forth communication between it all. By the time any realization happens, it is far too late.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Meanwhile, yeah, other people are just getting killed.
Speaker 1: So basically, this timing made a major problem. By the time any sort of details from one CD reached another, whoever was responsible had already moved on. And what it made it more difficult was how he operated. He didn't force his way into homes, he didn't draw attention to himself in public. Instead, he relied on normal every day interactions, responding to advertisements, asking about rooms, presenting himself as someone looking for a place to stay. And, as you pointed out, with zero trail in his wake.
Speaker 2: And honestly, he's leaving very little behind too with his killings.
Speaker 1: Yep. So gosh. And so by the time anything seemed wrong, it was already over and investigators had no idea who he was. They they didn't know where he would go next. Even they had no reliable way to warn other cities in time nothing. This was the limitation of the system at the time, the idea of tracking a single offender across multiple states, across multiple cities. It wasn't something law enforcement was equipped to do efficiently. It hadn't happened like this before, and as a result, the investigation remained reactive. Each new crime scene added another piece to the puzzle, but those pieces were being collected after the fact, and not in a way that could stop anything that would be coming next. And all while investigators were trying to connect the dots in the wake of each murder, the man they were looking for was already moving again, entering new cities, finding new victims, and repeating the same pattern. It seemed absolutely hopeless. However, that feeling of hopelessness soon changed into the feeling of hope on November of nineteen twenty six, when someone survived an encounter with the Gorilla Killer and was able to tell police about it. And I think that's where we're going to stop Part one. Okay.
Speaker 2: I always get on the edge of my seat because I'm like, Okay, he's gonna stop now. No, Okay, we're still going He's gonna stop now. It's like a little game I play, and I going ahead of anxiety of when you're gonna stall.
Speaker 1: That's the game of part ones and part two's and breaking it down.
Speaker 2: You know, something else I have to comment to is the fact that this guy is doing this to some of these women when other people are in the freaking house. Yeah, I don't need I can't even comprehend that. So, like he's he's almost just gotten this. Well even one of his first ones was like this, but he's gotten this down to kind of just like a t like he knows he knows what he's doing, which is freaking terrifying. Shit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so it'll have to be part two next time, and I'll tell you how this plays out, but for now, thank you guys for being here. Don't forget to check the description of this podcast. And Nichole's gonna hate me for a few days while she waits on what happens next. And until then, well.
Speaker 2: I know, I'm still just waiting here, Okay, but we'll wait. We'll wait. Good things are worth waiting, So stay wacked. B No