Speaker 1: No, no, no, The solution was regally. The rock gem is Lisa.
Speaker 2: Oh please, how many sentences start with the word regally this one.
Speaker 3: Don't forgive me that.
Speaker 1: It's really Maggie Sherlock. You know, I have to point out that this only makes sense if I get the wrong answer. First, I said.
Speaker 4: Hush, four finger discount. Dude.
Speaker 1: Hey, guys, welcome to a four figure discount. With this week you're going to be solving some mysteries, which you know, I certainly love this guy over here certainly doesn't. It is their review of God Maggie going, I'm Dando.
Speaker 2: And I'm guy. Yes, what was my understanding? There will be no puzzles. There are many puzzles in.
Speaker 1: You don't like matts, matts or puzzles? Which do you prefer? Equations or puzzles? Matts is a puzzle? Means are good? Equations actually lead somewhere.
Speaker 2: Equations you know, they can build size scraper or they can send rockets to the moon or something like that.
Speaker 1: And if you watch numbers, if there's there's numbers everywhere, well, equations are everywhere. Did you ever did you finish numbers on how you gave up up the Season three you tapped out. Yeah, as we've discussed on our various shows that you were doing four figure discount those shows, if you binge them, you get very much over them quickly. That is correct, And I think we might go back to numbers, but it has to be we still haven't try the technique it. We're going to do it, Niclo and I where we get the shows that aren't bingeable, the ones that we've made for once a week, like House numbers, those kind of things. Right, Monk was another one, Monk Monk, whatever you want to call it, and watching the Monday night Monk, Tuesday night, this one and seeing if it makes it more enjoyable.
Speaker 2: One might say, the way we used to watch television, thought they were made for. That makes a whole bunch of sense, I've got to say. But yeah, you watch say numbers too often and you might see the formula anyway. But yeah, make the puzzle puzzles are kind of fun. Yeah, they're an interesting diversion, Yes, but gone make you go on. It's got some puzzles in it. It's got some stuff that I was not too mad on.
Speaker 1: We will discuss that as this episode progresses. I was a big fan of this because, as I said at the start, I'm a big fan of puzzles and mysteries, murder mysteries in particular, but I like these ones where you just got to solve equations, solve puzzles on the way to getting to the end game, which is why I'm a big fan of the escape rooms that are now booming everywhere around the world. People say Sore was the reason that escape room's kicked off, and I thought, Nah, I don't think so, because you're not trying to save your life, You're just trying to solve a puzzle. I think a lot of us you don't. You said you don't like solving puzzles, but I've always thought that people just like to solve things. Obviously, some.
Speaker 2: It it requires a little more mental bandwidth that I wanted to devote in my down time. Having said that, lou and I went to this thing at Felix's school where they had like a mystery thing.
Speaker 1: It wasn't like an.
Speaker 2: Escape room as such, but it's like we've set up a mystery and here are various clues that will help you solve it all the way through, and it's in a bunch of stages.
Speaker 1: It's everybody walking around the room the same time trying to solve it, because I fucking hate it when we got a bunch of parents sort of collaborating on shit.
Speaker 2: Yeah, honestly, I showed much more aptitude for it than I thought I would.
Speaker 1: I felt like Sherlock.
Speaker 2: Holmes or or Elliott Stable, except it wasn't a heinous crime.
Speaker 1: And I think that's why. Let's say the joke down there in the anus. But that's why I think I like those crime shows because they are very much this. They are solving puzzles on the way to get to the the what do you call them, the conclusion, the solution, who's the person the perpetrator of the Yeah, yes, indeed, this is obviously paying homage to a couple of things that were very big around this time two thousands. National Treasure two thousand and four was National Treasure. Treasure DaVinci co Book two thousand and three fell two thousand and six, a little late to the party of this episode, they still felt somewhat relevant. I feel like because at the time the da Vinci Code was massive. It was a phenomenon, incredibly big, see to the point where my mum she doesn't necessarily read too many books, and one of them that there was never many books in the Downer household growing up kids. Books, yes, but novels and no, no, no. But my mum had a copy of the DaVinci Code. I remember going, it must be big if mum's reading this book as well. Everyone loved the DaVinci Code, and it almost felt like at the time, if you didn't live through it, it might be listeners out there who aren't who weren't even alive when that book came out. In the movie and whatnot. The movie not so much of it as a huge success, but did all right, Everyone went to see it because of the book success, right, But I remember the book. If you hadn't read it, it almost felt like you were just out of the loop. It felt like you couldn't join in any conversation because the fear of it being spoiled, like, well, I just have to read this book just so it doesn't get Because everyone was talking about the da Vinci Code, it was certainly one of those things that's spilled over from bookshops to regular shops. Yeah, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: You'd see people picking it up add a big work mart or even the supermarket, as opposed to going into the mix. I guess that's the realm, sort of name brand bookstore we have these days.
Speaker 1: Airport's just stocked with them. Oh my goodness. Yes, yeah, but before it was the subtle art of not giving a fact. You had the DaVinci code everywhere. I love name checking that because Dano the Pierce. Last time, I haven't read it. Yeah yeah, yeah, no, it's a real thing. It was worth reading apparently apparently so No, he's pretty good. This Mark Benson go yea. He co wrote Will Smith's autobiography, Oh, which you're also a big fan of the Brick by Brick. I was a big fan of that part. Yes, that's all over it up to the audiobook. Actually that's that's the forward. It's like just to read. Okay, but yeah, gone, Maggie Gone.
Speaker 2: Full of puzzles. I imagine this is the reason you enjoyed it. But you enjoy puzzles and mysteries and things to be solved, it seems because you know you've introduced a couple of little mysteries into your house.
Speaker 1: We have indeed, yeah, they're called well, when we adopted them, they were called Carmen and cheesel. It's a little ginger kitten and a tabby kitten. You've seen them adorable, right, adorable in the way the kittens are.
Speaker 2: But kittens are adorable. These are ultra adorable because you've got media pose. But also you've got another cat on top of that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the the stray that's just living here now we put I tried to pull a Harry in the Henderson's last night. I was like, well, this cat, we can't really keep her, like we love her, she wants to We feel like she's always at the back door of meowing. It's like does she wanted to get out? So I took the collar off her. She had a little bout we don't leave she when she looked to be funny, they did to say, am I allowed to go? And she sort of wandered around the back. He'd be having a snif blah blah blah. I was like, go, well, I didn't get the cap obviously. I just closed the door and said and Ali looked at the wind. I said, aliottn't look at the cat. Just let it wander off and it's going to go back to its house. Just let it be right. To quote my man's sting if you love something, said it free exactly. Yeah. So I was just like, just just go go be free. You know you want to be out there, Just go go go right, And that's just imagining you as boat with his chicken. Go live your life free. And so about an hour later, I've got the kittens in the house and the kittens have to be separated because they got well. As I now know, kitten flew right, they've got a cold. So I just to spend some time taking to get there. I dotted him yesterday. I'm already taken him back once. I wanted a full refund, only got a seven day warranties, so can I can get a fixed for free? But anyway, so they had their antibiodox but about to be kicking. Separated a because they are a new cat and b because they're not well. Got the sniffles and whatnot. But what was I going for bed now or later? We're in the in the bathroom, that's where they're staying at the moment, and we're just here from outside, and to me it sounded like a cat was in pain. I thought, oh no, the cat's going under the fence next door. And there's a staffy next door and two little yet like ye yappy terriers behind us, and I thought, oh god, I've let the cat out and it's gone under the fence, and so got there's a dog down. The dog's going. I thought it was actually in pain, opened the door, and within like zero point two of a second, it's running back inside between my legs, just jumps on the couch and looks at me. And I was like, well, I guess you're living here too, then, So there you go.
Speaker 2: You're not just a cat dad. One time over You've got three cats in the house.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And Nikola got this collar. She won over, put it basically put a neck up and said yes please Nickels put the call in that on. So now she's heer cat sound dumb man. Yeah. So the kittens, yeah, so we got them yesterday. But originally they were going to just adopt Carmen, who's a little tabby kitten, and we went to pick her up they said come in. We get there, they say you can't adopt her because she's got sloppy poos and I was like fantastic. I said, it's going to take five days to make sure she got solid poo. But this is the reason I never get adopted exactly. Yeah, no one ever wants you anyway. So they isolate her and the three siblings from the litter in the same cage, and eventually they're still a bit sloppy, so they separate him into two. And though two that she the other one she became sort of really close with was a ginger cat named Cheesel. And I went to pick up Carmen, I looked at him and they just snug it up together. And I picked up Carmen with Holly and Elliott, and this little ginga cat looked up at me, is to say, but that's my best friend. And I was like, Okay, get in the car. We're adopting two. And it's good because they comfort for each other, their brother and sister. They love each other. And yes, and never got three cats. Went from having nothing, never have a cat again, to three cats. I remember not long ago, Rest in peace, Jet. Yeah, you were very much like I think.
Speaker 2: We're going to be a pet free house off for a little while to enjoy my three days, my time, my freedom, money base, a few days money.
Speaker 1: Well, the fucking cat has arrived at the back door. And I was like, Universe, what are you doing to me?
Speaker 2: Universe is realizing that you're a good and dependable soul. Someone can be a good cat dead.
Speaker 1: And the thing is to cats, you can sort of more independent. As you said, So like a dog, you have to make sure, hey, make sure he's fed, taking out for a shit, blah blah blah. Cat's like giddy lit up, you're right for a day, Give me a box, throwing me some food once in a while. Yeah, yeah, I look after myself. I actually watched the Big Cat before we get into Go and make it gone, legitimately hunt to fly today. So she sort of crash did the crash down, and the bubb was sort of like going and she's creep and I was like, I'm actually watching like a like like like the Nature documentary is like crawling the flights on the middler bitch. She stopped, she could pull back, and she kept and she sort of pounced. She looked around and a real under report. She's put in her mouth on it. And I was like, Eh, that's fucking crazy. Oh yeah, she hunted a fly.
Speaker 2: This sounds ridiculous, but yeah, there were certainly times when I've been sitting on the couch with Basing next to me, and uh, you know there'll be a nature documentary on and like a big cattle. That's you mate, Your DNA's in there. Eh, yeah, she was just I was like watching a lion hunt its prey.
Speaker 1: It was crazy. Oh, it's fascinating.
Speaker 2: Yeah, having a cat inside your house is yet not unlike just having a great nature documentary twenty four seven.
Speaker 1: It was pretty it was pretty cool to watch. Yeah. But and speaking of things that I enjoyed watching Go and Make It Gone, I really enjoyed this. So I thought this episode here was a really fun mystery in that it paid trio to National Treasure and Dvichica, as we said, two similar style of stories in the sense of them being they need to have to solve a bunch of clues and all the search for something. One being for adults, which is the Da Vinci Code and National Treasure adults can enjoy it, but that was more targeted at kids, right, And this one here, I think they did a fantastic job, the writers Billy Kimball and Ian Maxtow and Graham, of combining the two to produce a mystery that was crafted so well and that kids could really have fun trying to seriously crack these codes and crack these mysteries, right, and adults wouldn't feel like their intelligence is being insulted either. They're very simple to solve, but I don't think adults would go, oh god, it's pretty obvious. Yeah, And I think as a family unit, I would really enjoy watching this episode with Holly and Alliett. Holly still a bit too young, but I think Alliot would have fun trying to crack the code here. It almost like we would be like, who shot mister Burns kind of deal.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, when you explain it that way, I understand a lot more about why you like it. I also understand a little more why I was like watching it in my solo household with a cat next to me.
Speaker 1: Guard. All Right, yep, fine, I mean, as I said, it's not really an episode problem. I think there were problems with the episode, with the writing, with the direction, a little bit with the direction, a little bit with the writing. Mostly it's a me problem. It's just like, yeah, this is just not my bag. I mean, I think I have issue with the way the family and the characters come across. See I based a lot of my enjoyment of the episodes, I think modern day ones on the use of Homer, right, and Marge was terrible in the last one as well. They no Lonik, and I thought, sure, yeah, all terrible people. I think in contrast to that, I actually thought they were all written quite well. In this Lisa in particular was handled quite well and that she was obnoxious, but not enough where you disliked her, but you also enjoyed the fact that she wasn't the golden girl at the end because you're sort of all high and mighty. I guess, yeah, I mean that's a I guess a valuable lesson that you can take away from it. I mean, dear, don't get too high on your own supply. For you, she stayed on the on the right side obnoxious. For me, she's tripped over into the bad side of obnox I thought you were just a bit smug and a bit self satisfied. Maybe that's the point, but I would have had I would have preferred the come up and at the end to be a little bit more. Yeah, what I learned something today as opposed to know her just being kind of.
Speaker 2: Oh it's not me, okay, fine, Yeah, she's the right character to be doing this kind of thing. If you're going to have an episode where it's all we have to solve a mystery, we have the puzzle to sort of unravel or whatever. You're sure you want someone who's smart doing that. I don't think you necessarily need someone who's like, well, of course I knew this.
Speaker 1: I found that just a little bit of a drag. Yeah, yeah, just kind of smug and stuck up. Which is why I thought the switch of Lisa being wrong was actually well played, because I when she solved it, when she said regally, I thought, that's a weird sentence. It seems a bit forced. No, that was maybe by accident, but her subconsciously solving in a way that would make her the golden girl and Maggie, Like, does she actually know Maggie was the one and she sort of changes so she would make herself feel special or did she just get it wrong?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm leaning towards she just got it wrong, but her subconscious makes her change it so that she feels like she's important, because that's it's understandable why because for the most.
Speaker 1: Part, her intelligence, intelligence and talents are sort of not wasted away but sort of fobbed off amongst the chaos of the family. They're not valued. Yeah, so she has to sort of fight and scratching claw for every bit of acknowledgment she can get, so she even her subconscious is trying to go No, you area, that's a really good point, and I hadn't. I hadn't viewed it that way. So I'm glad that you brought it up, and I'm glad you're helping me solve this puzzle. You mentioned the directing before visual I actually thought this was probably the best HD era episode we've had to date, in particular just the the shot of the eclipse, when the moon or the planets or sort of like lining up. It looked almost like three D animation. And the exterior shots as well, I thought were really great. The use of shadows. The shadows are really standing out at the moment because they didn't have shadows as much when they were hand drawn. This one. It just looked really nice in particular shots, and I really liked when Lisa was looking up at the Springfield sign you can see the words written on it. That looked cool as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, No, it's had a real sort of I guess cinematic or even prestige TV sort of aspect to it, and just yeah, that eclipse scene in particular, I thought was really I don't think it's overstating this beautifully done.
Speaker 1: I thought it was very very well directed. The visuals were great. The visuals were you know, just sort of an elegant is yeah, the word ide is. But the music I thought was just beautiful as well.
Speaker 2: I thought it was really well put together scene and not something I was necessarily expecting from this episode or from the Simpsons episode in general.
Speaker 1: So the score and the writing were both nominated for various awards as well, and critics love this one. This was given a's across the board. This episode people really really enjoyed. Maybe it was an episode that at the time it felt more relevant and enjoyable because the Vinci Code National Treasure was still in the front of people's minds to an extent. I'm not too sure. Quite possibly were maybe all the Vinci code pilled around that time, but I just think the over what, I don't have any memory of watching this movie, so I'm watching this in twenty twenty five with a fresh mind, and I just think it was structured really well. I really enjoyed it. I like the fact that the first act actually played into the overall story without you actually realizing, and the total eclipse, because how often are they guilty in recent times of just having a story and going this is this is entertaining, but not enough for a full episode. Let's just cram it in here. And it feels so for you get to the end of the first act and you go, oh, so now the episode starting right And I used to do that in the Golden Ear as well, but this one here you could very much say the total that the eclipse part was just its own story, but no, that actually plays into the overall one, and you don't realize that till about two thirds of the way in as well, so everything follows it. Well, yeah, that's a good point, and that sets up the b plot of Marge not being able to see, which wasn't particularly focused on all that much, as they'd sometimes go back to it. But why do you think they needed to have Marge not be able to see? Is that something from one of the films that I'm missing.
Speaker 2: Not that I'm aware of. I mean, I don't recall that being a national treasure and I.
Speaker 1: Don't think it's in the Da Vinci code at all. I'm pretty sure there's no sort of blind characters or anything like that. I suppose you got the payoff at the end where she takes the blindfold off at least sorry, Maggie takes the blindfold off Marge. And you know, it's a nice sort of not reveal, that's not the right term, but reunion. Yeah, I guess most of some of it well peaced or you know, you're the most beautiful thing I've ever seen, or something along those lines. We will get to it. But I thought was really really nice ending. I think if you stick the lending, the ending was a bit far fetched, which I've got my notes here, But before the Bart bit, I thought the ending was quite really well put together in my opinion. But getting back to the visual, so, I just think I was excited when they became HD. I remember at the time, and now as I get older, I go, oh, you know, nothing beats the originals. If I take my bias away, the show feels fresh watching it in HD, right, it does. You watch these episodes in twenty twenty five and compare them to the episodes from the nineties. And nearly two thousands. It's a stark difference. And if you could say, you can honestly say this to anybody, this is last week's episode, and you could believe it. Oh yeah, you certainly think that. Yeah, no, they look an airy Chris In an HD world, these episodes feel better. They're much easier on the eye than the originals. I will always love the originals. They will always be my favorite. But I've said this before on the podcast. If I'm a six year old kid right now, I'm watching the HD episode, of.
Speaker 2: Course, I well, because you're a child of twenty twenty five, Yeah, you're going to be enjoying What's.
Speaker 1: I'm not watching four to three, I'm watching sixteen nine? You are? You are? And look, even going back to gold and Ero Simpsons or Vintagero Simpsons or whatever, I mean, I don't think any of us were saying, oh, we're loving the animation here or something like that. I mean, I think we're really more there for the gags, for the writing and the performances more than the visuals. Even though the visuals were up and pretty well done in terms of like angles and all that kind of business or shot composition or whatever. But it also, yeah, it looked like this isn't top notch animation, especially like season two three onwards. I think season seven eight was when it was at it's best. For me. It's when I visually I like the Simpsons the best, when it was like season seven eight ish. But I do also think people just have a nostalgia for the show just being hand drawn the way it was drawn, not how it looks, just the way it was made as well. Well, it looks a little more handmade, doesn't it all. Yeah, and it has that charm to it. Yeah, where that does it loses that element in the HD era, But you can't deny that the show looks great. And what you're going from the mid season twenty episode at the old school version to now you go, oh, this just feels new. Oh it feels like a real turn of the doar, doesn't it. Yeah? Yeah, I was just just just the shadows for me. Honest, I remember when it first came out. I went, oh, this looks I don't know if I like, this looks too different? Twenty years was the twentyear only one? It's two thousand and nine, what's that? Yeah? Whatever, Yeah, it feels right now it does. Yeah. Also, mister Burns in this episode, he comes in at the end. Right, I prefer this version of Burns. People should fear Burns. He should be a criminal, he should be a terrifying man. Right. Seeing him making two people dig their own grades whilst holding him at gunpoint felt right.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I think I prefer him when he's wielding power as opposed to being pathetic. It's very rare it seems that the show can combine those two. Well, he's someone who's old and decrepit and kind of passed it, but also potent enough to be dangerous or a threat. Yeah, and you're right, this episode kind of felt more like, no, the ons still got some juice in it, and he still wants to wheeld that power to some degree.
Speaker 1: So at Smithers, he should always be that lucky who's questioning mister Burns, but still a guest master. That's the best. Smithers to me, he is the guy that you know he doesn't quite agree, but he just he just has to follow him.
Speaker 2: Well yeah, partly out of hero worship, partly out of love, yeah, and partly out of fear as well. Yeah, it's a really complicated relationship, and yeah, the Simpson's out its.
Speaker 1: Best when it does that, when it has those all those elements working concert. You're right. It is official. We have finally launched Bob's Pods, a Bob's Burger's podcast, reviewing every episode of the series exclusively on our Patreon. We dissect the relationships, the themes, the burger specials, and everything else that goes into making Bob's Burgers one of the most loved animated series today. So if you want to sink your teeth into one of the tastiest podcasts going around, join the four Finger Discat family today at patreon dot com slash four fingerre Discat he my favorite What were your favorite moments from the episode?
Speaker 2: I had a few I mentioned, Yeah, rather sweet music for the eclipse is something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I enjoyed that very much. I don't know if this is a favorite mom because actually found this kind of sad. But you know, they've all got their little camera obscura devices to watch the eclipse, the whole Simpsons family and cause Homer foxes up Marge handing hers over. It was just a little pause there.
Speaker 2: It's kind of like, oh, well, you know, you can have mine and I'm a people pleaser. I would be the kind of person who would do that.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's the kind of thing a parent will have to do as well.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, yeah, I'm watching eclips and you busted yours.
Speaker 1: I be like, Dad, I go ahead, look at it. I trust that you wouldn't have a look at the eclipse for a second and then hand it back to ded to me. Well, that's correct. I like that moment.
Speaker 2: I sort of recognized myself in it and recognized people that I love in it. Didn't like it so much when everyone's like, oh, this is the greatest bonding experience we had as a family.
Speaker 1: Is like, this is more jerk out nonsense. But I did like that. I mean that that was just also just to set the fact that Marge really wants to have to see and that's what where she's willing to risk losing her eyesight. That's true, that's true. I mean, yeah, it's it's necessary to move the plot forward. When Lisa to the convent and I don't think one of the nuts calls are doubting Thomas and Lisa says she's more of a curious George. I don't know, I gotta tickle out of it. There's more to that joke as well. Have you ever seen Curious George Wells? His handler is the man in the yellow hat. Yeah. I thought that scene in particular. I've written in my notes that the games were coming through thick and fast, particularly in those moments, to the point where a lot of these jokes kids probably wouldn't haven enjoy. But as if you understand the source material, you're just like, this is just joke. Joe joke, Joe joke. It would necessarily be knocking to out of the park. But they at least attempting jokes. Yeah, And they at least attempting joke density. Yeah, why they used to. I'm always curious.
Speaker 2: When people have crushes or fixations on animated characters, particularly sort of romantic or sexual ones. Now, having said that, Sister Marilyn at the convent while we were oh damn and reminds me of probably my favorite thing. I've always used this kind of thing as a gift or a response meme or something. Anytime someone is so hot, I use a text Avery Wolf. Not everyone is familiar with texts Avery the animator, but maybe Texas, one of his signature characters, at least is the wolf who is just horny man.
Speaker 1: You grew up in the nineties. It's what the mask rips off very much so.
Speaker 2: But the eyes go a ruga and anytime he sees a hot redhead, essentially any sort of bangs himself over there.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I love that.
Speaker 2: Anytime you know, someone on Twitter puts up a picture of say Monica Bluchi or something, I tend to either put up text Avery Wolf. There's a frame from a Gumby where Gummy's in there going ziggity like the kids say or used to it me.
Speaker 1: That's that's a franchise that needs to make a come back at some point. Reckon. So I loved Gumby. Is a gummy veg is a Gumby, So any change. Wow, the soft and sexy sounds of Dando. You did a little wiggle there. I don't have been called that on video. It's really good. But to give a shout out to the text Avery Wolf. The way they did a lot of references in this episode, that would just quick gagys right, and I just appreciated it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not saying this is in the neighborhood of Classic Simptons or anything like that, but it would certainly if not in the ballpark. Say those are major league This is like minor league baseball, yes, or a good high school team.
Speaker 1: Now, I really enjoyed a few lines here, So Marge saying, oh, it's been great. Every day's been like the first ten minutes of Mother's Day. That's pretty much how it goes. You get breakfast in bed and then its lips onto the usual shenanigans, like you give mom a presence, cook your breakfast in bed, and then she gets up to do the dishes. I like, And normally I wouldn't like this right, but for some reason, maybe I was just in a good mood. But the Homer's hand is Maggie right when it's he's she's feeding it and he's got But then when he said cool it, she's getting suspicious and he does like a cookie monster, the voice of you could it, I'm hungry. I'm like, I put it on. I don't know why I find this so funny, but just I was in the right mood and it got me at the right time. And then just the side gag, the visual gag of the keepout sign and then saying, oh, enter, I'm not a cod hope. Yeah, because how often do you see in things that says keep out and you go, no one's around, you keep off the grass. Like, what do you speaking of signs? Right? I saw this happen in the flesh in person. Right, I've never seen it happen before, but it's true wet paint signs. Right, people can't resist. That's that's the joke. You see wet paint sign, you gonna touch it. We walk in, Elliot can read mind you, he fucking knows what this sign said. We walk into Holly's daycare and they've just rebuilt the sort of the front foy area, dirty big sign that says wet paint, do not touch. Motherfucking just touches it. I'm like, what the It's almost like you want to see a dog run have a butcheter sausages. I was like, I've seen someone see wet paint, don't touch it and just touched it. Look, why did you do that? He goes, I don't know, whole hand fingertip, fingertip, fingertip. Still, I said, why did you touch it? He goes, I don't know. I don't think he even knew don't touch the brains touched. You didn't miss a beat, just touched it. We talk a lot on the show about what a good boy Elliott is. He's a good boy. It sounds like he confused himself. He was. I don't know what I did. There's a spark of the rebel in him. Yeah, he just had to. Yeah. Next question, you there eating the beast? All right, it's time for some trivia questions. So you were only a couple here, I'll ask you my first one. What did the signs say at the hospital at the front? Oh, if you died here, you'd be home now? Correct? Yeah, yeah, I suppose makes uh. I have to wrap my head around that. I'm pretty sure it makes sense going anywhere, you'd be the Morgue. Correct.
Speaker 2: When Ken Brockman is reporting on the solar eclipse at the start of the episode, Yeah, what is the headline that he sort of had Not?
Speaker 1: It's a chiron, you know what I mean? Do I dared? Look at my notes? Do I cheat? If you took notes? It's guy and Aara Sky and Arrah. Yes. My next one for you is what car do the Brethren do their sleuthing in?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's not a it's a toya gallany.
Speaker 1: It's a car that cartman gives away, that brand, that model car cartman at the mall. Come get your Nissan. Is it a Galaxy? It is Nissan Quest Minivan Quest. Sorry I knew it was like not a play on words, but you say one thing, it could be something else. What did? What did? Can't give away Nissan something? Oh? I can't remember. Can't get your free Nissan? According much? Is it much? She says that I don't know.
Speaker 2: But the twenty twenty seven solar eclipse will take place where Yemen. Yeah, and I'm going to need more information.
Speaker 1: Oh, what was it? North Yemen? North Yemen aka? Which is actually going to be happening? Yeah, twenty twenty seven. Well, when we get through the notes, I actually looked up when the next eclipse is going to be happening in Australia. Well, have you in Australian this know when the next clip is going to be happening? Apparently there's five between twenty twenty three and twenty thirty eight. That's provided you know we're not destroyed by an asteroid. Yeah, we can only hope not, depending on the day. Yes. My next question for you is final question, where does Homer buy the rat Poison from the play on an American store. Oh oh, which because of the sign and the color, I always thought it was a rip off of JB. High five. But it's not. Yeah, simply the oh it's pest by. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, thank you very much for you help. I appreciate it. I have two other questions here, but I'm going to want to ask you one in the sake of equilibrium. The bell the Springfield bells melted down to make what civil war chest sets correct? Yes, well, then during World War two, I was like, no, no, it was World War II. It was the other one, that other one, not World War One for a different war. All right, let's get into some stone culor shirt as shall we? Oh yeah, God. Starting with the Coursey lovely Katy G. Yes with a one hundred doll support Thank you so much, kat G. Also the following Stonecutter top tier supporters on Patreon. We have Shanny Macker, Elliot j O'Neil from the Simpsons Index Podcast. We have Justin Parker, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Shawn d v, Pete Anderson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dentel, Planned Flood, Bellow, Window Back, Timothy Burlson, Jack McFadden, Addrick McLeod, March, Levan Ginger and Pickle, Preston Murray, Preston Murray, not Preston Preston Murray, Talia Enriquez, Declan, Phoenix, Heath, Applebe, Brian McCoy, Logan, b James Sheppard, Joe Reading Sect, Dave Pretzels mcneally, Gavin Lang, Charlie Joe and Damian Miller. Thank you so much. Guys have been top tier supporters stonecutters here at the four thing of discap Network. Could cutting those stones for us guys? Indeed, all right, let's get into our complete run through of Gone Mackey Gone Now. The episode title was a play on what now. You have a bit of a story here when you get well, sit down children, do sit down, children, because yeah, it's time for Generation X tells you what's what. There's been more than one outlet online saying, oh, this is a riff on Gone Baby Gone, the Dennis Lay novel that was turned into a film by Ben Affleck, his first directorial effort Beyond the Camera. I would suggest it is actually a riff on the song Gone Daddy Gone by the Violent Fems, which came out sometime in the eighties. It's why that well, gone Daddy Gone sounds more like gone, Maggie Gone. But it's also this sorry is a better baby I guess. So, hey, maybe here's a suggestion two things can be true. It also doesn't help that you cause the fact that Ems and Graham said it was a play on gone mate, baby gone. It was he No, it's just the writer. I completely made that up. By the way, continue though, so you think it's because it's sound like I think.
Speaker 2: It sounds more like gone, Meggie Gone, Gone, Daddy Gone, but also baby gone makes a whole bunch of sense as well. I'm just saying, let's open our mind to possibilities.
Speaker 1: Of course, it works both ways. Unless we actually ask Billy Kimball or e Maxtone Graham, we'll never know. The real truth will.
Speaker 2: Be, Well, you've got it in with all these people. I mean, you're the one who goes out to dinner with that's elmen.
Speaker 1: Once it wasn't invited. You just get following from yes, and I was like, hey, it's a guy. The original edit was March fifteen, two thousand and nine. Now box office, mister Davis for March fifteen, two thousand and nine, number one at the box office. This is actually very fucking relevant to this episode. Could not be any more fucking relevant. It could, but you'll understand when I say the answer. So number one at the box office. Think what this episode's about, and have a guess. Well, it's not the da Vinci Code, not National Treasure, but it's pretty fucking close, is it. Angels indebils. Yes, it was number one at the box office when this episode came out, which maybe it's a bit of synergy. Maybe they knew it was coming out. They tried to tie it in with that so people will be talking about angels and demons. We can use that in the promo for the TV for the episode. Maybe, hey, angel demons is just out. By the way, the Simpsons is going to be solving as DaVinci Code esque clues.
Speaker 2: Angels and Demons. The sequel to the da Vinci Code.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the Little step Brother didn't quite do as well. I don't think I think there was. It was the Laura Diminishing returns. When it came to these Robert Langdon adventures, there was an image code which is very big. Angels and Demons came after that. Then there was Inferno, which was an absolute stinker, and I think Guy to Death And number number two at the time was the movie that you love, a sci fi film based on an old TV shows, got your Favoritechris in it? Oh, I mean out of the four crises? Is it Star Trek Star Trek? Yeah? Ah? And number three was the end of a trilogy or was it? Actually I don't think it was X Men Origins Wolverine. No, that's a spinoff pinoff, yes, which wasn't any good? Right? Is that the one terrible? Is that the one that has Ryan Reynolds? It does? That's what I had, the poorly leads footage, right it did? Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 2: And the first appearance of well Deadpool in some ways yeah, yeah, because he's playing Wade Wilson, Okay, exactly.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So that was the top three films. Angels and Demons was number one when this episode came out, which makes a lot more sense now they would do this Star Trek and X Men Origins Wolverine was number three. Terminut of Salvation coming in at number four, and now there was no Chalk Out apparently, but the Couch gag is the couch is a pinada and blindfolder rough coming and hits it and the family all falls out of the pinnada. Have you ever hit a pinada? I have. Yeah. I had to do one of a birthday party recently because the kids couldn't open it. So I just basically said here, I'll help you. I just did it, and then he's like, oh my god, this can't. Kids are saying candy, set of lollies. Now, because I watch much American television, I don't like it. Halloween. Could they say Halloween candy? Yeah, they got so much candy it Halloween. I was like, that's you got lollies kid, Yeah, but don't go to England. So you got lollies that means lollipop. As I've already discussed, that's true. Yeah, but yeah, candy Olly, and Allie's saying candy. The friend saying candy. I want candy on Halloween. No, no lollies. Yes yeah. This Astralia mate for his America en directed by Chris Clements. This episode written by Billy Kimmel and Emxta and Graham As I said, Ed Begley Junior as himself.
Speaker 2: Episode Yes, Ed Begley Junior, well known for his advocacy of environmental causes. He's driving his solar powered Carly.
Speaker 1: Gets hit by a solar powered tree. He must have came into a voice a scream, right, I guess so. But he's appeared on the show before as himself. I'm pretty sure everyone's had him to do a scream for a future script or something. Why possibly. The episode kicks off though, with Brockman's news report on Sky and Nara, and he says, like a woman breastfeeding in a restaurant, it's free, it's beautiful, but under no circumstances should you ever look at it? Yeah, that's true. It's a fair point. He recommends using a homemade camera obscurer made from an ordinary shoe box and papertowl tube. He has one there wasn't made previously. Reminded me of the old show Art Attackers to watch when I was a kid. He used to always be making ship and be trying to go along school holidays. You got your little kid out, and then you go and here's something I'm prepared earlier. And she'd look a little bit something like this, and I'm like, motherfucker, I can't keep up now. I was still put the tube in this. The glue hasn't dried yet.
Speaker 2: No, I got in trouble for getting my kid out during the cool holiday, so I won't be doing that again. Putting your tube in other things, that's correct. And the slamming together the glue was sticky. Oh my goodness. By the way, at the end of this, when you know he's got his he throws a hissy fit. He does this is to me reminiscent of and they may have meant this, they may have not, But there's a US newsman named Bill o'reiley.
Speaker 1: Doing it live. Fuck it, we're doing it live. Yeah, it didn't seem exactly like that, but it seemed close enough. I thought the exact same thing. I've got that written down here, and that was in two thousand and eight. I believe it makes sense because this here though he says, because he says, well, I'll just built it live. That's what he says, and it just doesn't go well. So yeah, because there's trouble finding the end of the tape, why is in twenty twenty five still I was trying to wrap up a box to post something from eBay the other day and still to this day. Finally the end of the tape. Look, I used the tape gun down to prevent that. But you're just trying to find the end of a tape. Have you just got a roll? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I mean I've got the thing you have on the desk. What do you call what do you call that thing?
Speaker 1: The tape dispenser where it sort of flicks, Yeah, genius move. But yeah, so this year I definitely thought was Bill O. Raley. Fuck it, we're doing it, live good, We're in agreement. This was supposed to be pre mate. Fine, I'll do it myself. Where is the end of that freaking tape? Forget it? We'll do it next week. The eclipses today, there's an eclipse. When I say there's any clipse, then we get a really beautiful shot that we mentioned earlier from space of the eclipse starting to begin, and guys are jumping from the roof of the amaligated sunscreen building. Yeah. Why because they're clearly overreacting the fact that there's no son. That's I'm like, it's not gonna last long. No, no. And at Begley, junr Is in his solo car stops working on the train lines, but I'm thankfully his trained also stops just in time. Yes, and the family are all looking through their boxes. They've made the homemade boxes to view the eclipse, are in their backyard, and Lisa says we've hit p number. Brace your Sales for Umbra Bra But Lisa a button, Homer, i should say, trying to see it first, just being usual dickheads, which results in a tussle that sees Homer squash his viewer and Marge, being the beautiful soul that year, she offers hers. Since there's going to be another one in North Yemen, as you said in twenty twenty seven, which is now only two years away, which would have felt like forever a way back time. But Marge, you haven't aged it all, so you could probably enjoy it. Oh well, voices age a little bit. It's weird that that it makes me feel old. That joke was made to go. Yeah, but that thing's off like twenty years far away. Yeah, and it's like that's next two years away. No, no, and yes, he note it is true there is one in North Yemen twenty twenty seven, but the next one for Australia, Brace Your Sales is July twenty second, twenty twenty eight. Oh okay, so just over three years from now? Can I wait that long? Will you be alive in three years? Not the way I'm going. Yeah, who knows. It's time there for the eclipse, it's about to begin. They all can't believe how beautiful it is, and March just can't resist the temptation to look, so she just uses her eyes basically, Yeah, and it does. It actually looked really quite nice. It looks quite beautiful. Just burns her eyes. And I know this is a cartoon, but call me soft. I just anything with eyes man just does mean Oh yeah, trauma is no good.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: What's that famous film where they slice the person's eye, the old surrealist film anderlu That's what debates a from Pixies. That's what he says. That's the chorus. So that's not real, right, I don't believe so, yeah, because no one slicing for a movie, surely, but just didn't know. Maybe Eli Roth, Yeah, maybe, but I just I know eyes just funny people. Nicola one says, I've got something stuck in my eye, and I'm sorry. I'll do anything. I can't get shit out of your eye? What people say sometimes, but what is it? What would he do for love? But they always say the song doesn't explain it. I'm like, isn't a pretty self explainatory because isn't it the fact that he will never cheat? I think it's something like that, And I guess it doesn't really make sense he'd never cheat for love, but I don't know. Loves longer with us is. He was passed away. So I bought my dad a cameo for meat Loaf about a week before he passed away. He's my dad's favorite musician. I thought, what are the odds, Like, how lucky was that? Except he was a fucking weird guy and a cameo. It was worent for like seventeen minutes, Oh my god, And I edited it down myself to like maybe three and a half because it was just a lot of waffling and I don't think he quite understood the concept of oh cameo. So I sent the message through saying can you say happy bro? I'm got some of the lines of can you say, I hope you have a great day and you and you act like a like a bad out of hell or something like that, and say it like a bad out of a House and say it like the song. And I think I've put in bracket and sing like the song. And he goes and he says, he says, open bracket, sing like the song bad out of Hell, close bracket. Not sure what he means. I'm like, oh, meet cloth Bundy, so like you didn't see it. He just he goes see it like open bracket like it. He just reads what it said on Then I was like, ah, this is not what I asked for. Strange cat, make a very strange cat. Then as to have seen two out of three eight bad, and they sang like three different renditions of it. So I was like, he's sang two out of three a bad for my dad, Like, can't complain, but it was. It was a bizarre, bizarre video. We have done any cameos. We're open to doing cameos. Would people want cameos from us? We could? We always open an account and see what happens. Sure, yeah, it would be Guy and Dando Dandol guy. What we need to do is need to open up a Guy and Dando one and open up like an alien holy one and see he gets more.
Speaker 2: I don't think my ego could take that. Are they just are they just done audio? Or they do them on video as well?
Speaker 1: Cameos yeah, Jesus Christ, mean where are you? Of course they're videos. I don't use it. You have seen a cameo? Oh, I know of them, the videos people film on their phone. Well, you know, get to hold the kittens or something like that while we do them. Wow. Yeah, cameos make some real money. Come soon here. You're gonna make it somehow, don't we. But at the hospital now, and Hibbitt says that Marge's eyes must be covered for two whole weeks. Now, that line there as I got to the end confused me because I went, two weeks have not transpired during this episode. Lisa wasn't at the church for two weeks. I don't think so. No, Marge takes her blindfold off at the end, feels like it's been two days. Her eyes are okay, three tops. I don't think it's ever been. I think it's like one day. It's bizarre. I just thought that there's just being uncovered for two weeks, and then it's just I just don't have that line in there, just that she needs to have a rest and no stress because Homa says that he'll be her seeing Homer, which I thought was a nice name, and he attempts to describe the room and then quickly takes a break because well he sucks at it, and then it just gives up. And it's not necessarily funny, but as far as modern Homer goes, it was inoffensive enough to for me just give it a pass. Whatever if it's or whatever it's as you get to see if it. Then warns that any stress could cause the blood pressure Marger's eyeballs to increase or whatever. It just makes this no stress. Essentially, she needs no stress in her life right now, and it will lead to text avery syndrome. And he puts on the old cartoon wolves are all taken. They're taking all of our women. That's what Homo says at the end of it. I mean, I understand why they had to put the text Avery cartoon on, so younger of yours and understand what's going on. I think that kind of joke works better if you don't show the cartoon. We call it takes avery syndrome. Yeah, maybe just show like a hole of a picture or something. Maybe. Yeah, at home, the family have planned a meal along with flowers from Mars, treating her just like the queen that she is. And every day's been like the first ten minutes of Mother's Day. And Homo says, everything is taken care of, but then Lisa calls him into the kitchen quickly. Is there any other way to enter a kitchen? And he sees that it's full of rats and just like that delightful movie that he taped in the theater. But a nostalgia for us there right, the old cams. You still get some cams, I speke to someone recently said they saw a cam of a movie recently. I'll collbably shit, these things still exists. Oh no, cams are still very big and increasing quality all the time. So here, yeah, I like to think that Homer isn't quite up to two thousand nine technology, and you're still doing VCDs the two discs misspelling ratitude on the disc by the way, And by the way, was this a shout out or sledge to former Simpson stuff a Brad Bird the director of RATATOUI. Oh, I wouldn't got a sledge. It would have just been a tongue in cheap joke, kind of like when George Lucas and Spielbeakers have their each other's characters in their films and whatnot. I mean they love brad Bird. How could you not love brad Bird? Give us the Nelon Giant, that's correat it was the Incredibles. Give us tomorrow Land. What was it? Lasted girl? Oh, that's truly what to be said? Not much more last girl, Hot damn hot, diggity damn. But four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week. Our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Side Fuld and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com. Slash four figure discount on. I've mentioned this podcast before. My first illegal My first introduction of a cam was Space Jam in nineteen ninety six. The movie was still at the space Cam, yes, exactly, well played. It was still at the movies, and I remember being in the next door Everor's house and his uncle Joe came over and he said, you guys want watch Space Jam And I was like, oh, that's my mum. If we can go, you know, I've got it here and like King of the Kid and he had the VHS tape and I said, like, Space Jam is written on it, and I was like, what the idea I've been able to watch a movie that's at the movies at home. I didn't quite understand what he meant.
Speaker 2: I'm glad that's someone you could trust, by the way, because Joe could be very easily Space Jam kids jump into the van and check it out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what's his space game? Jam in the band? It's time to slam nowh my god. But he puts it in and fucking shure a shit shit quote. I still at the VHS tape, still got the copy of because he then because he was like the he was that guy that always had the burnt David's and whatnot, and he ripped it from one he gave me a copy.
Speaker 2: He's like Christopher walking in Big Now, little man, give the dis to you.
Speaker 1: Not at this VHR staatee VH state and yeah, I still to this day have it and it's just here people laughing. You see some heads and whatnot. But fuck man, sure a ship that changed, honestly changed my life. That is a moment I will never forget. Can you remember your first cam mine was probably Batman? I think my friend JP brought brought a VHS rip of Batman? But was it? Was it a cam though? What I'm trying to say. It was it like your first cat? Wait? No, no, yeah, no it was I was a cam Okay, it wasn't it was like a it was still it was a blank VHS filmed at the cinema. Beautiful. Yeah, so I think we're all sort of.
Speaker 2: Gathering this ship quality, but hey, we're watching Batman at home, unpresidented.
Speaker 1: It's hard to describe the thrill. I think I even put a tweet at this about once. It's like hard to describe the thrill to the younger kids now of buying a burnt DVD from the market and the thriller on the way home, just hoping that it's gonna be good quality. They always sid you're great quality, great quality, and you get how you put in like, ah, this is ship whatever. Five Bucks. But when you eventually bought a burnt one and it was a good quality, You're like, I've cracked the matrix. Yeah, oh yeah, my friend's Mark and Nat we used to go to a ship of in the plastic sleeves, so good times. Just trying to explain the concept to kids. Now, oh, you had to like buy movies kids, Aliens are like, what do you mean? Like every movie is accessible whenever I want it from on any device and any room of the house at any time. What are you talking about? That's your lost kid. But the rat uses Homer as like a ventrilous dummy kind of thing and makes him a nice gets to make a nice meal. But then he says it's good, not great. So he says he's getting the rat poison and all the rats bail. But now it shall we viel shopping plaza and Homer is buying rat poison at pest buy. I play on best Buy. Wise guys, the guy working out what is it with kids and candy killing poison? Yes, it's not to see him making an appearance here. He said, you get rid of all those dirty rats and the clean ones too. It's little things like that that's that's a joke. I enjoyed it, they said, as little helper tries to eat her rabbit toy, which I thought was the life in hal rabbit. But it's not. It's going to add to it. No, But it looks a little bit like it, a little bit. Yeah, And they said don't. He said, don't fight in front of the poison man. And on their way home, they're still squabbling, and it causes Homer to drive off a bridge, crashing the car by a lake. He then finds a boat, but they're too heavy, and he says, I need to get the baby, the dog, and the poison across the river, but can only take one at a time. I can't leave the baby alone with the poison. I can't leave the dog alone with the baby. Can someone please help me with this puzzle, which is an iconic puzzle. They fox, the goose and the eggs. Yeah, the clea.
Speaker 2: This puzzle is actually the puzzle that's most widely sighted when it comes to this kind of brain teas he has ducks, but.
Speaker 1: I'm pretty sure the visual is the goose apparently. Yeah. I was always a fox, a chicken and something chicken. It's a bird of some kind and eggs, and.
Speaker 2: I was like, I'm gonna have this a real brain to This is the reason I love die have with a vengeance. But and I've seen it many, many times, but they've got that thing in the middle where it's like, Okay, you've got a four gallon jug and three gallon jug, but I need to you need to put exactly two gallons of water on this thing otherwise this thing's.
Speaker 1: Gonna blow up.
Speaker 2: I'm like, is gonna have to fast forward through this because I'll never get it. They always get it and they save New York. But it's like, oh, man, i'd be fucked. I hate, so you have to not that I hate because you can't do it. You have to skip it. Oh it's that's what I usually take a piss. So what don't you like about it?
Speaker 1: Though? Because I'm dumb. It makes me feel dumb. And likewise, this day.
Speaker 2: It's like, I'm sure if my brain wasn't fried from various whatevers, various misadventures and you know, brain rot, I'll be like, oh, I'm sure I can weave this up, and I'm just like, oh, no, to compligate it.
Speaker 1: That's one of the people do go to trivia nights that I've always said the perfect trivia night is the one that questions are easy enough to answer, but you gotta throw in two or three that are really difficult, but the majority need to be pretty easy to answer. No, easy, easy, but enough. You don't want to go to a trivia night and never be able to answer any questions because you'd never go again. You never go again. You feel stupid.
Speaker 3: Let's see, I need to get the baby, the dog, and the poison across the river, but I can only take one thing at a time. I can't leave the baby alone with the poison, and I can't leave the dog alone with the baby. And someone help me with this puzzles, Frank, help me figure this out?
Speaker 1: Yo over here.
Speaker 3: By high great time to nap Einstein.
Speaker 1: This was such a bizarre series of events that leads to all this, so that the crash that go to the poison store crashes, the car finds the boat, but it leads to a pretty enjoyable ad break. As a kid will be left thinking how do you do that? Wanted to solve it, and I think it's simple enough for a kid to be able to figure it out. You know what I mean? But is it one of those not for me? But is it one of those things that is not meant to be able to be solved? I feel I think homer solution actually works. Oh yeah, I think that he's leaving the baby alone for a second, but like that shit would actually work.
Speaker 2: I know we're meant to do our googling prior to the show, but I'm going to do a little bit right now and say and learning to solve a river crossing puzzle. The solution is, take the goose across, come by empty, take the beans across, bring the goose back, let the goose on the bank, take the fox across, come back empty, take the goose across.
Speaker 1: I think hom solves it, right. I think Homo solved it, except he left Maggie on the doorstep of a convent of a convent. But otherwise, yeah, he did all right. The Homer here is replacing it with the dog, the poison, and the baby. So Homer has solved it. As we get back, he's taking Maggie first and replacing her with the poison. Then sounds a little Helbert, then returning for her. Now that way, she's never felt She's never left alone with the poison or the dog, but it means that she's left alone. He will then arrive home at most, which is what very correct, I'll be home letter at most. He starts going be sads. The little helper starts swimmings like we're not listening to me at all. We don't know it needs your help. Then he says Cleidus, who asks he's got the fox the duck in the eggs. But unfortunately, though Cleidus's puzzle done solves itself. But by having the fox just eat everything, that's the end of that puzzle. Homer leaves Maggie by Saint Theresa's I'll keep an eye on you. I'll I'll keep watching just in case God's busy making tornadoes or not existing haha. And the Catholics now consider her when a guy's discarded little miracles and they take her away. Then Homer pleads to have her back, but then asks why she was listening the first place. He mentions the dog and the poison and whatnot, and he wants to take her back to the rat infested house. So of course she refuses to let him have her back, and he mentions, do you have a husband. She says her husband is or she's married to Jesus and he's married to wonder Woman. Sure, but she slams the door in his face and has got little Mary of scram Yeah, they'd be hard to believe the church would just keep her. But for the second story, let's just go with it. Catholic nuns are pretty hardcore. Yeah, we've seen the Blues brothers. Oh absolutely. Yeah. We're now at home and he tells the kids that he has to lie to margin about losing Maga. We can't let her know. But Maggie's not injured. But she's been taken into this comment ove. He hasn't necessarily lost her.
Speaker 2: No, but it's not a bad setup in terms of like, oh she well, not just that she's blind, but she can't be stressed or anything like that.
Speaker 1: So yeah, so you can't there's a reason for the sub to fu That's what thought. I think they've put a lot of effort into trying to cover cracks, but I don't want to leave too many threads dangling. Yeah, exactly. So Lisa suggests she infiltrates or they infiltrate the church as a pretend. None. Homer says, I will not be doing that doing it at all, and then it cuts to him saying, see, I told you what bet be putting on a dress That seems to be the flavor of the month at the moment, the jokes where you think something's gonna happen and then it doesn't.
Speaker 2: But traditional, yeah, like I'll never do this something ar is never never never cut to them doing it, and it's like, you thought we were going to do that, old sore, We're not doing it.
Speaker 1: I think last week it was well, this is not raining. She told you it's not raining. Like, ah okay. That seems to be the gag at the moment, I'm not sure I like it. When it happens two episodes in a row, happens up for a lot more. It seems to be the thing what happens in the Simpsons writers at the moment, it's like they write three or four at a time and they go, that's cool, let's just work it into everything. Homer gets. They get there at the church, Homer shows it's not a church, that it's comment. It shows off his costume, but she tells him to leave so she can get into character, and she turns her little Darwin chain thing into this what's it called that? The Jesus fish. What's it called there? I think it's got Jesus fish. It's just this is something on those lines. I'm not religious, apologies, it's it's got a name stans of eye. But she pushes out the word Darwin and it's it's the Jesus fish. I was just called Jesus fish. Okay. I'm a lifelong Catholic man. And she claims to be she Evan's a door. She claims to be a lost, little sinner who's lost, a little sinner who's lost her way. And how do you how do you feel about neeling? I like it, come on in, make me taking many bad ways. But she says, you must wear your clothes modestly, not like sister Marilyn as you said you like you're a big fan. Well, ye're doing her seven year rich thing of being over the grade and one of the most iconic visuals in Hollywood history. I would say so. Yeah. She sees the nursery and the singing the song which was definitely Maggie Roswell. She's just got their voice. If you're happy and you know it, that's a sin. She asked about Maggie because she can't see her in the nursery. But the sister says that, well, you're looking for I want to babies or I'm want to preasures or whatever. I don't worry promise upon us. So in nine months, this place and me feel from floor to ceiling she might have you might have something at the back, maybe because the back you even put it out. Yet this is me looking for a kitten at the pound. I felt really dirty asking for a kitten at the pound because the place is full of cats. Oh yeah, and you just know that everyone wants a kitten, right And there's all these catches looking at you and you can just tal they this none of the anise. They go, yeah, sure, okay, well kittens are around the corners. Meanwhile, there's like one hundred catches sitting there going please love me. And I'm like, you've been I probably would, I would if i'd no kids, but you've been through some shit. My kids are gonna want to like touch you on the face and stuff, and I just know you're not gonna like that.
Speaker 2: Even when it happens that I'll be getting another cat, I'll be getting an older cat.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's fine. Though that, Oh yeah, of course, but get two though that's good questly friends, of course get three? No, two, you've overdone I did overdo it, yes, but I tried to get down to two'd be gone. I don't love you not horrible too. Oh yeah, looked to me like the fuck? What do you mean? There's a reason that we all remember that scene from Harry Anderson's Yeah. But then she says, what are you doubting Thomas as you're mentioning early more of a curious George, Well, you little monkey, is time for you to spend some time with the man in the yellow hat, which was a good line and accustomed her chatting to an image of Jesus the halo. And yeah, the jokes are coming thick and fast. Here wee overall pretty clever. I thought they're quite topical, not topical, good references that cause, you could say. But Lisa is now questioning Jesus. Why would Mother Superior? Why would she lie about Maggie? What's what's she trying to hide? And then she notices a jewel in the roof, which raises suspicions, and then another sister says that the jewel will lead her to Maggie and that she doesn't like the superior because she always has to be the court back when are playing football. She says that, Lisa, you must solve a series of clues, an increasingly difficult series of challenges to my intellect. I would love this. I love treasure hunts and shit like that. Not just treasure hunts, but like just fine shit. It's like go to hear to hear. My kids love it too. I think I'm really surprised you don't like mysteries, solving clues and stuff.
Speaker 2: Sometimes yes, sometimes it's not. It's not necessarily my first stop.
Speaker 1: I'm going to get to the fireworks factory. I do. Yeah. She points to the first clue, which is a stained glass window. She says that she's only twenty three, and then cows to the corner lot of Dracula, which was random, doesn't really need to be there, and it says cart daem in coort a at anama, which is to seek God with heart and soul in Latin, like yes, yeah, and she notices the organ. She's like, oh, heart and soul. She plays heart and soul, and the little castle appears, and a few mechanics like mouse trap all just keeps going and going and going, this sort of waiting there patiently but bored. I like the dig here though, at these kind of movies where you know, a window or doors opening and just excessive compartments go, which makes absolutely no sense logically, but they're there for the sake of they're a fun visual to watch in the absolutely I don't think it does Jones ever have elaborate things like this, but quite from seeing films, it's this door slides and this thing, so it's like, why why are they going to all this evidence to make all this happen? It doesn't need to be there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I guess most people think of the Indiana Jones movies when they think of that. They're not quite as elaborate in Raiders and they like but I think they certainly have them, and there have been many Raiders knockoffs.
Speaker 1: So I think feel like they have to up the ante a little bit. It's kind of similar to the next scene here as well, because meanwhile home Marge hasn't held Maggie for all day, so it's going to be one day all day, It's only been one fucking day, and she asked him to hand her to her, so He then paints his hand. He puts the eyes in his hand much like cartman hand if a little. It didn't even really need to do that because it was Marge're going to see it, I don't think, so that's my point, My point being that was a joke, visual joke for the viewer. Yes, because technically Marge can't see anything, okay, And it was the originally I had. Why is he closed on she can't see bath? I guess she's closed.
Speaker 2: Necessary painting of mouth and eyes not necessarily, But to quote my man Rainier Wolfcastle, that that's the job.
Speaker 1: That is the joke. Yes, And she says, you're not normally this greedy. And this is where we get the moment I told you, I think it's just like that sound was it cartman eating my hand up a piece of chicken? Oh? Is that chubby baby? But that doesn't mean that you can't have a little dinner.
Speaker 3: Hmmm. Not Usually they're screedy, cool literue, getting suspicious.
Speaker 1: You'll call it. I'm hungry. So then the mechanics finally finished for Lisa, and she finds a crypto message that says what if I read every other? She says, what if I read every other word, so it's it's dumbing it down a bit. But this is a kid show, sure, so you know younger viewers need this kind of thing. And by saying that it's basically what they're trying to do, I feel like Ian and Billy is guy the younger viewer without saying what it is going, here's what she's going to be doing. You try and do it as well. So she reads the first one says one more time. You're a hopeless numb skull. Right, So she tries again, but not because the war told hers so, just because she wants to. And this time it says, turn around, seek Springfields, the biggest man made ring. She gazes out the window and a beautiful shot is looking over the city and she sees lard Lad with his big donut. She sees smoke clouds coming out of some sort of factory, the haul of Hoop Repair Center, which is the kind of thing only would appear to the Simpsons Repair Center. I like that. And otto otools zero percent down oversized ovals. I don't get it. Oversized oval, So I thought it was gonna be overalls. Yeah, what's an oversized oval? Football? Oval? What was it? Anyway. She doesn't know which one it is though, which which one is the key to holding the gem? Cut to the commercial puzzle the second what Lisa just said? Then we come back from commercial as the close up of Lisa basically you think she's asking if you're asking us watching at home, but no, she's actually asking Meal how. She says, well, did you get it? Says no, I didn't. Unfortunately, I'm a smart I'm not a smart note, I'm just a weak one, late brother. Lisa then realizes the biggest ring in Springfield comes from the ball in the bell tower. Now I'll get to that in a few moments. Is actually a link here to National Treasure. So she sees a keep out sign or enter I'm not a cop. She goes in and we see two people in cloaks following her. Now at home, Marge kisses Bart good night. I guess I could enjoy the fact that this was a fun b plot where it was only it wasn't much of the episode. No, every bit sort of made sense. It was nice, but Bart's making a genuine effort to try and keep the charade going. Absolutely yeah, So she says a time for she I'll be there in a minute. Lisa. She kisses Bart good night. He jumps out the window, who fixes his hair up, puts her clothes on case, she touches it. Blah blah blah. She says, good night. Lisa is the reply. The one thing you can't do is the voice. The voice. So he things quick and he gets the saxophone out. Now Marge doing the scatting to the sacks. I was like, aw, whatever, but no thinking on his feet. I didn't mind that. Then we see the cloaked figures looking for Lisa. When they walked in, I liked that I could tell who it was just from their mouths. And I don't know whether that means they're really well designed or I'm just a super nerd a weak nerd both, a little column a little combe possibly, yeah. But Lisa confronts them. The turns that the comic book guy and Skinner and they are also seeking the gem of Saint Theresa because they're from an ancient order of history, buffs who hide in the shadows and call themselves the Brethren of the Quest because they do their slothing in mothers. This isissan quest Minivan. Lisa asked them to tell them all that they know. Skinner refuses until she says, does mother know about this van being used? And of course he start telling her the story. And legend has it that on her deathbed, Saint Teresa of Avila had a vision of a jewel that would usher in an era of peace and harmony. She dispatched a team of to the New World to see the gem. To seek the gem, I should say, And then we get footage of the nuns. This was so wacky. I thought you would have enjoyed this. The nuns being pirates on a pirate ship using their rulers, swords and whatnot. Yeah, and they landed on what is now Philadelphia and the Philadelphia fanatic fanatic Yeah, with the pH Yeah, with a phys the mascot from the baseball team. Then they turned their ship Timber into the convent. They like that. They flipped the ship upside down and they began the content. That was all right. Yeah, I thought everything was good in this. And Benjamin Franklin overhears their messages. They're talking about it their their mission, and he and the other Freemasons like George Washington and King George the Third, they all staged a phony wall of independence to cover up their search for the gem so wacky. I didn't mind it though. Yeah, and then the nuns then fled and they built, they built Springfield or they just set shop in Springfield. I think they just set up shops, set up shoppel near the Springfield sign. Anyway. I think they's up building the sign, which is sure the Springfield Sign wasn't quite finished. I missed that part. I was right near the Springfield sign anyway.
Speaker 3: Legend and Wikipedia have it that the gem will be revealed during the first full moon after a Shuler eclipse.
Speaker 1: That's tonight. One question remains, why did you come here? Because I cleverly deduced the answer to Springfield's biggest ring.
Speaker 3: It gives me no pleasure to see You're a deduction was forty.
Speaker 1: This is a fake peoper machine bell. I have not seen National Treasure. Assume you right. Films that I have been told are really really enjoyable, really really fun. They made a second one kind of fun. Now. Apparently it's a liberty bell used in the film. And it's similar to this, where it's not real or something like it's a twist or a turn. It's been a long time since I've seen the National Treasure movies. But apparently this bell is a reference to the Liberty Bell. Now, as he says here that this bell here is paper macheame. The real one was melted down in World War II to make Civil War chest sets. Lisa then looks out and finally noticed the biggest ring comic book. Guy. Oh, I see it too. Skinner is looking for it. He can't quite see it. No, he's saying that he sees it. Yeah, yeah, as he leaves. I liked this right. So when he arrives, Skinner then says, oh, the word ring. Now older viewers would go well, obviously, but younger viewers need this, I think because if you maybe you can't read a bit older you can't read as well. If you can't read, you would have no idea what's happening now. So you need to have him say that just to make sure the little kids watching can follow along as well. And I thought it's really nice, As I said, a family could really sit down and enjoy this. I think it's a really fun mystery. Good for you. King of the Kids. Four figure discount is brought to you by our incredible supporters on Patreon. With your support, we're able to hire editors, purchase new equipment, and everything else that goes into producing top quality shows. Each and every week, our supporters get early in add free access to every show, new episodes of Tales of Futurama, Talking Sciefild, and Speaking of the Heel each month, as well as access to exclusive Facebook and Discord communities. So go ahead and support the show today for as little as just one dollar at patreon dot com slash four finger discount. Unfortunately, they get there and mister Burns and Smithers are there with the hounds if it isn't the Tardi Boys and Nancy clueless, and he's known about the gem for years. He joined the Freemasons before it was trendy. His eyes on the dollar bill and also that is his pyramid on the bill as well. He then makes a joke about Smithers being in Albina, which I didn't get at first, but then I'll wait a minute. It's the Da Vinci code. It is a character Silas Silas played by Paul Bettany. Yeah, also known as ultrom No Visions, Vision Yes Master and Commander Beautiful Mind, Oh Yes, Beautiful Mind of course, Yeah, but mostly known for mostly known as Vision these days of course, yep. But yeah, so that's a reference to Silas, which I thought first, I'm like, Albina, what the hell is going on here? But you know, da Vinci code in case you didn't know, you guys playing at home. Least, Then Sea's writing on the big Springfield letters, great crimes Kill Holy Sage, and Skinner says to one the sage, you must go warn them. At least, the points out that a secret message, this awkwardly worded is always nanogram in these movies and whatnot. It's mister Burns to that's a very DaVinci code thing. I think that's I think those books are full of anagrams. And yeah. So then mister Burns tells her to unscram with the letters to spout the location of the gem, while Skinner and Comic book Guy dig their own graves, and comic book Guy calls on a help of Superman. I believes in you for years, Please can help me dig this giant grave. Then finally the final commercial, now and can you try and figure out the answer because we can't. We come back and Lisa are spelt it out. It is regally the rock Gem is Lisa and mister Burns's first things that gem is inside of her. He's going to cut her over, but this points out and know that she is the gem, and he agrees. And since Saint Theresa wouldn't want a bobble, she'd want a pure young girl, a pretty dark gay here. Of course, Saint Teresa wouldn't be interested in the mere bubble. Her greatest treasure would be a pure young girl. You are pure? Aren't you just kissing male house count? No?
Speaker 4: No?
Speaker 1: Oh? Oh shit does kissing meal house count?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Doesn't count at all. Then she thinks that she'll bring well peace, And how brilliant of God to remove by skepticism by making me the trasen one. So you're saying earlier it's all about Lisa all the time. So she's a bit sort of arrogant here. But comic book Guy points out that the gem must be brought to the convent by sunrise, which is not too far away. So they agreed to take Burns's helicopter, but the most dangle from the skids, and Smither says it feels good to help someone doesn't, and he says, no, it feels weird. I don't know why Smithers and Burns would help them, I guess because Smithers wants world peace. I like to think this here wasn't Burns is doing this with Smithers doing it. That they dropped them off, and I thought they're going to cush into the convent because they sort of trail off and look like they're going to crash. But that's the last we see of Burns and Smithers, and then the nuns are singing, Oh fortuna, which is Shit's about to go down. It's very epic. Well, I remember they stole this or they tweaked it. They put a clock in it for the This ad is big, one of the most iconic os ads of all time. Culton draft. You haven't seen it, check it out, Culton Draft. This ad is big ad? Was it? This ad? Better sell beer costs of money? That? Yeah, yes, it's a good ad, and at least interrupts them as they're singing. But they're not fussed with her at all because the gem is actually Maggie. She points out how Lisa, it was wrong, how many sentences to start with the word regular, And I've oh, I'm glad this makes I'm glad They pointed this out because it didn't say it didn't make sense to you. It didn't at all. No, and this this sass because it actually reads, it's really Maggie Sherlock. Now this sass actually works because the clues have been kind of sassy throughout because the first one, remember said a nuts scar. Now she says here, well, only makes sense if I get the answer wrong first. Maybe however, I thought I thought that at first, right, But then I think that there's a case to be argue that the whole time they were searching for a physical gem. So by saying it's really Maggie actually works as well, whether Lisa gets it right or wrong. Her point because they're looking for a physical gem, that's true, and it says it's really Maggie. It works both ways. But because they're looking for a stone, it's like, it's really Maggie, you're a stone. You make a very persuasive argument. But the sun rises, and so begins a new era of peace and prosperity in Springfield. A rainbow cast across the town. The owners of discount mattresses and matches for less embrace, The postman and the dog start loving each other. The referee and the player start kissing, and then Snake's electric electric chair set to massage, and then four centuries of patients have finally paid off. But Marge arrives to reclaim her baby because a mother knows, because she said, how do you know? Now? Look, it's kind of lazy, it's lazy out explaining that Marge is there. She just knows. But who'll we to question a mother? Story wise, we're not into it. Emotionally, of course we're into it. I mean, she she didn't first. I thought she got there by herself, but we latter see the Homer drove her there at least, but she somehow knew. Well, Hope would have had an idea, because he was the one that planted least. They're in the first place. That's true, so it kind of makes sense. But when she picks her up, all the peace stops, the lights go down. Lisa says she must stay here because she's the gem, and there's been reports of even less road rage in Shelbyville, and Marge thinks about it, it would be nice if the first thing I saw was a world at peace. When she takes the blindfold off, and then Maggie takes off the blindfold and she says she's even more beautiful than she remembered. Very nice moment. That's sweet. I'm sorry, but I know God would never ask a mother to sacrifice her child for the good of the world. Again, that was well played, right, because normally the paus wouldn't be there. Right. Normally it would just be the first bit without the again, because the joke would usually be the viewer knows that it's happened, and Marge's a bit oblivious. But Marge acknowledging it came out of nowhere for me, and I liked it. They added a little bit, oh is there something different to the usual? Usually it's like this, Marge will say that first bit without the again and you go, ah to see the thing is though, that's what really happened with Jesus, you know, we're.
Speaker 2: And I think I prefer the again to say, sort of like a little fourth wall break or something like that, which I might throw in, But no, I think I like.
Speaker 1: The again looking at the camera or whatever. Yeah, you get that. Marge thinks she may be being selfish. On the way home. She says, my being selfish here it could be well. Peace, but I want to my daughter back and says, no, I don't worry. You're the most giving soul that I know. And besides, he gave them another gem. Child who sit on the precious throne turns out to be bart and when he goes up there or how literally breaks loose. Indeed, yes, and that is the end of the episode. A pretty out there ending, but for a cannon episode anyway. But let's just run with it for the sake of a cartoon. And there are more things in life to actually worry about. Indeed, what do we learn, Bomber? I think I learned that you take the fox, then you take the chicken, then you take the grain, or come back and you drop the fox. I'm gonna have to google it, but Google has just bribed my brain. But luckily I've never had a fox, a chicken, or a boat at any at any one time. So it's okay, Robbers a forward. Your names will be all right. It's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship for season twenty. The current leaderboard stands at this in first position, we have Philip Jay Hawkins on fifteen points. In second position, his name is Jared Jared Hornby on fourteen and in third position Brian Hughesy Hughes on eleven. Take it away, sir, I will take it away. One point goes to force of habit. Not bad. That's quite clever, Oh clever. Car Kyle in fourth position on nine points, World done, sir. Two points goes too total eclipse of the march. Not bad. That is our man rand himself, Dave Randall McNally that Dave Prenzels McNelly, no coll him m mcnallly as well. Okay, then make me thirsty. He's now on three points. World done, Dave nice Dave. Three points goes to the dough benchy code. Dough always wins, it always does, wife and the land by season twenty guys, gotta throw doe in there. How you get the money? Yeah? But does the bread.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to draw all these desparate threads together about bread and dough and all that kind of stuff.
Speaker 1: You did it for me, so I appreciate you. That is Nathan Briggs. There we go, Nathan Briggs with his first three pointer. Briggsy Ever, I'm not too sure definitely for the season. He's now on four points. Weld on Nathan Briggs. So the leader board hasn't changed. It's none of the top three go any points. So it's still Philip Jay Horgan's fifteen, Jared Hornby fourteen, and Brian hugh'sy Hughes on eleven, but Clever Kyle is up by one point. He's now on nine. A nice, well done, guys. Be part of the Guy Davis New Name Championship. Just gonna be supported of ours on Patreon, where you can get access to over one hundred hours of bonus podcasts for just five dollar dues support. I love that you keep looking at the camera. If no, it's off, I'm just looking around. I'm looking at a brand, all the books and stuff, so many books I haven't read yet, but I'm like I I can't wait to get to them. I like the idea of getting to them. I'm looking all this crazy crap on the walls. Yeah, there's a lot of cozy cup on the walls, on the floors everywhere. So thank you so much guys for supporting us here at four figure discount all of our patrons. If you haven't supported us yet, please do so. Helps get the lights on here, help us hires some editors to take the worklout of my shoulders, becuse they're getting a bit so at the moment.
Speaker 2: Well, even Dan, those broad shoulders can't must down handle all.
Speaker 1: This exactly right. You can't get in touch with us is the mail bag at four figure discount dot com dot a. You sent through any question you may have for us, and we'll be getting to those in the next community podcast, the next mailbag podcast at the end of the month. Last Morn's much Fun where we spoke to Judy right from sq Customs. If you have to listen to the interview yet, make sure you do so. Shoemaker extraordinairy. Yes, she's made the assassins. You can check out that episode and she's link for that as a description of that show where you can get yourself some actual assassins from episode two season two barts Dog gets an F yes, and also, please continue to rate and review us on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, rebe. Do you listen to the show, leave us a few kind words and check us five stars if you can do so, it would be much appreciated. Now, the next episode from season twenty we shall be reviewing is in the Name of the Grandfather, and it looks like the next classic episode we shall be reviewing as voted by the patrons. Because it's a Star Wars month. They made the fourths upon us, and I said, any episode. I put up a poll four episodes that have since our Star Wars references in at least one Star Wars reference, and I thought Mad to the Mob would win because Mark Hamill makes the guest appearance, but no, it came second in the poll and it lost to the Springfield Connection, which is where Marge becomes the police officer. So we can come to reviewing that one as that classic review for this month. Nice. You can get the early and ad free by supporting us on Patreon, but next season twenty will be in the name of the grandfather, mister Davis. Any final words, well, there's incredible listeners out there. We hope you've enjoyed four finger discount. It's free, it's beautiful, and then that every circumstance should you be listening to it. M