Speaker 1: Thank you for listening to Pictures Media Radio.
Speaker 2: Welcome to policy and rights show us. Welcome to policy that human joy. Welcome the policy right here in Depictings Media Radio and your host Michael Floggs. You know, just the other day I got I saw this post on social media talking about how Donald Trump has done such a great job at limiting war, ending wars and such things as he has done things to end wars between India Pakistan, that he has done things to bring about the cease fire between Israel and in Iran, and how he is putting for the peace between Russia and Ukraine. And what a great job he's doing because President Joe Biden could not have done these the only Donald Trump could have done it. And why is this news isn't reporting on his success stories and bringing about more peace and bringing war to an end on our planet, bringing about the end of some of the imperialism attitudes that have brought about these wars. Well, here we have it, Okay, So as it turns out they do did this stops up in the in the news recently dead and within the last couple of days as I'm recording this, that uh Iran once again fired missiles against Israel. That the peace and tease fire that Don Trump is talking about may not be so peaceful. That Israel and Pakistan they have called the fighting for a little bit, but because because the actual problems that exists between Israel in Pakistan, it could pop right back up again. And that that is this little little country called Kashmir right right now, I think it's it's known as the territory, but at one time it was its own country. Sovereign countries and its role in Pakistan have been in a tug of war over this particular territory for quite a number of years, and its the tug of war turned into actual military action. Who who is has the right to dictate what Kashmir actually does? And with these people, however they are going to live, who's going to govern them? So we still have that out there. Part of the reason why Iran has launched as like against Israel is over Gaza, which has not been settled yet. That there's still an ongoing tension between Palestine and Israel, and most of it has to do with Palestinians went their freedom away from the colonialism. That is cause that has caused Israel some of these people were in the nineteen forties, their families were sent into sent away from Palestine, and we're turned into refugees sent to Lebanon two because they were bringing Jews from the concentration camps as they were being liberated during World War at the end of World War Two into the area that lives in which is now a totally completely Jewish state. It is the government. It is a government based on Judaism, the same as Iran's government is based on Israel. The leadership there as much okay well, in order to help quell the idea of Israel. At one point, the United States had negotiated and helped put in place a government in Iran that was agreeable with Israel and made Israel in Iran's allies. The regime that we're talking about that we keep hearing people like Danny Dannon talk about, falls away from that friendliness. That there is a directive that asks for the end of the colonialism and helps the Palestinian people get to their homes back from nineteen from the nineteen forties, away from the colonialism that actually built Israel. It isn't about necessarily as much about Hey, Palestine, we're Palestine we don't ever want to share our land with these Jews because the Palestinians, if you scroll it back enough tim into the Roman Empire, you discover that there will always those people living in Palestine because that was a Jewish colony created by the Roman Empire. All right, So we're going to hear a lot more about about that and other issues. But because we're going to hear from Francine alban Age as he is speaking to the as a special repertoire to the Human Rights CANCIL, that's part of the amazing and her she is an expert on what is actually happening between is your own in Palestine and what is happening in the Middle East as far as human rights is concerned. Some of them remember this that ultimately, what do you have when we're talking about the situation with war is a lot of times we have a government that is doing things they're saying that they're trying to protect the people, which we took very well. We trow we're not going to we're not going to dispute that. If we are going to dispute is that are they always doing things that the people themselves either one know about or would agree to. Most people aren't worried about sending someone to go in Israel. People in Israel aren't necessarily in agreement or or or are they paying attention to Israel. Sending troops to Iran is firing nipples back and forth, other than the fact that they can see the nipples being fired and back and forth. When you live in a very small country, you get to see a lot of things happening and the direct result of these things. So but basically, when you get down to it that most people on this planet, all they simply want to do is live a good life, have to be surrounded by those people that they love, and they want to keep those who they love comfortable, face and healthy. And that's where the whole idea of human rights comes about, because if once you're protected, protect those rights so that people in general can have a healthy, safe life with their family and friends and those that they love. So why don't we move forward. We're going to hear from Planting Albanis as he talks about the value of human rights in areas of course like Palestine and Israel, and we're also going to going back to their Canada again. We're also going to hear from the Federal Minister for as I again talking about things like climate change, the Federal Minister of Energy UH Tim Hodginson as he announced an investment into an Alberta based carbon capture project that will help keep our environment safe. And so.
Speaker 3: Good afternoon everyone, and then thank you for joining us at the press briefing today. Our speaker today is Miss Francesca Albanisi. She is the Special Rappertor on the situation of human rights in the Palestinian territories occupied since nineteen sixty seven. The Special Rapeta just presented her report to the fifty nine session of the Human Rights Council titled From Economy of Occupation to Economy of Genocide. We will begin with brief opening statements from the Special Rapeta and she will then take questions over to you, Miss Abanese.
Speaker 4: Thank you very much and good afternoon everyone. Mondo and those who are here and those who are following this press conference from AFAR. And I'm sure you have heard or read through my report, the Malast Report, that reveals how corporate profit eating a monetary gain as enable then legiti timized Israel's a legal presence and auction in the Little that remains of historical Palestine, occupied Palestine and territory. What I'm going to tell you paints a very grim picture in many respects. I could have written this report two years ago and it would have been a fair exposure of the economy of the occupation made of two pillars, a pillar of displacement, a pillar of replacement, held together by an ecosystem of enablers, from financial actors to institutional knowledge production actors like universities and even charities. So the system is such that today I say Palestine is a crime scene, and actually if it were a crime scene, it would have the fingerprints of all of us through what we purchase, which company we choose to ensure our as an insurer for our car or our home, and the banks where we put our money, the investments we make, and so on and so forth, and even universities where we go where we teach, which we are of which we are alumni, including those whose silence silence debate around Palestine claiming that there is not enough balance when denouncing genocide. And by the way, both me and Agnes Kalamara for what concerned the appalling decision of the University of Bern not to host a debate. I mean, we were open to the university to invite any PROSCO pro chinocide scholar. They could find. It's their decision just to silence the debate. However, if the genocide has not stopped, it's not just because there was there has always been an economy.
Speaker 5: Of the occupation.
Speaker 4: It's because the economy of the occupation has turned into an economy of genocide. And so there have been people and organizations that have profited from the violence, the killing, the maiming, the destruction in Gaza and in other parts of the occupied Palestian territory. Because it's not that the Palestinians in the West Bank and It's Jerusalem are having the happiest time of their life as we speak. In the past twenty months, while the Israeli army and accompanied by settlers was devastating Palestinian lives and landscapes, the Tel Aviv stock exchanged sword by two hundred and thirteen percent. I must sink over two hundred and twenty billions in market gains, including seventy six point eight billion US dollars in the past month a loon. So clearly, for some genocide is profitable so what has happened is that the infrastructure that was profiting from the economy of the occupation has transformed and assisted Israel in this evolution. The report I just presented builds on a database of over one thousand entities that I didn't have the time to investigate with the depth and to analyze from a legal point of view with the rigor that I have for forty eight companies along with their parents, subsidiaries, franchises, licensees, and consort partners across the sectors. However, if you read this report as a list, as another database, which this doesn't my report doesn't intend to be, I would have failed.
Speaker 5: I would fail.
Speaker 4: My report exposes a system, something that is so structural and so widespread and so systemic that there is no possibility to fix it and redress it.
Speaker 5: It is to be dismantled.
Speaker 4: And you know, had businesses and had the corporate sector observed due diligence, had Eon or its commitment to do due diligence even before October seven, twenty twenty three, he would have disengaged completely and totally from its entanglement with Israeli economy. Because, first of all, it's a fiction that there is a line dividing separating the good Israel within Israel and the bad Israel in the occupied territory.
Speaker 5: No, the economy is one.
Speaker 4: Israel's economy is one and one only and encapsulates the colonies. The colonies do not exist because some fringy part of the Israeli society is pioneering into the wild wild West Bank. No, it's because this is resolving the housing crisis in Israel. These people leave and try and within a system that is so connected that it's part of the Israeli state. And also this is this is you can see that evidently when you look at the water grid on the electricity greed, the occupied Palestine and charity does not exist as separated from Israel. So I mean, member SAIDs can continue to reassure themselves that they might al alimit prevent settlement goods from circulating in their markets.
Speaker 5: But this is not enough.
Speaker 4: Actually, it's just another it would be another phase saving solution. Because excuse me, when sanctions were imposed on appartheid South Africa, was it because of the crimes that and the violence and the racism and the discrimination and the upper tide that South Africa was imposing on its non white population, or for just what South Africa was doing in the band to stand. Do you understand the performance of stupidity that we have all been part of for decades and now it's the time to stop. If sixty thousand people killed do not push us to take in seriously international obligations, then we really really beyond the pale. So here's what I conclude. There is no possibility, no possibility to stepping out of this situation other than for Member states to do with the International Court of Justice dem MANS, through its ruling and through its provisional measures, imposing an arms embargo immediately. It's not about asking for fire. This is not a war. This is a general sidal campaign and it's clear and now it's cider carried out under the pretense of humanitarian food distribution. This is a death trap and we should learn really to be honest, including yourself. I mean, I've been really, really generous to the media because the first corporate entity to be mistigated in this mandate was yours and it will come.
Speaker 5: But again, now it's time for an.
Speaker 4: Arms arms embargo, and it's time for businesses to cut ties with the very fact of engaging in something that concerns and translates in the economic gain and profits. It's problematic. Less companies and their executives are ready to face responsibility and even criminal liability.
Speaker 6: Thank you, Thank you, Special Rappetave. She will now take questions. We'll start in the room. Uh, this go ahead.
Speaker 7: Thank you.
Speaker 8: The forty eight companies that you name in your report, is there anything that you think the customers of those companies ought to be doing?
Speaker 9: Thank you?
Speaker 1: Sorry I should have said before.
Speaker 6: We're going to take about four questions at a time, and the Special Rappetive will get to each one sequentially.
Speaker 1: Jeremy, please and the monserity understand just as.
Speaker 2: This is all.
Speaker 1: Okay, would you like to repeat your question?
Speaker 5: No, I'm sorry I was disrupted. I'm sorry I was disrupted because apparently I sported.
Speaker 4: A number I have someone I have not desired dyslexia in numbers, and I said, seventy seventy six billion. This is what has been unmassed in one month. No, it's sixty seven billions.
Speaker 5: I read.
Speaker 4: I apologize. So what should consumers of these companies do? First of all, I would like to clarify that the first responsibility is not on the consumers. I mean, of course, I think that we should be We should wake up and realize that we are part of a system where we are all entangled, and choices that we make in the u k. Or in Switzerland have an impact elsewhere in Congo and in Palestine, for example. So this is it's good to be conscientious, but the first the first, and so it's important today to listen to uh those in the civil society, the scholars, the lawyers, investigative journalists who have exposed the entanglement of the companies we are clients of.
Speaker 5: With the occupation.
Speaker 4: But the first responsibility remains with member state and then companies. So companies who do not divest should be held accountable. I do think that there is a possibility for consumers to hold that this company is accountable because we somewhat we we vote through our wallet, right and therefore, probably this year, it's the most modest contribution not to support the the erasure of Palestine is stopping normalizing the occupation by a clique. So let's choose other ways to plan our holidays that Booking dot com and Airbnb, because they have normalized the occupation with a clique they continue even at this time to advertise nice neighborhoods in settlements. Settlements are stolen land and profiting profiteering from the gains made in this way, my amount of money laundering, and certain jurisdictions. So we we have to choose better. But again many responsibility states and companies.
Speaker 1: Jeremy, I think, Please state your name and organization. Ask a question.
Speaker 9: Insurance economy, let transition economy, the occupation of economy genusy Escubo speaking on Quinn economy. The genus seeds of the term a pre profit table, economic mark in economy, the cups from sample m source, the company, city, locate Martin bar An examples a person, qua, the company, the old company, cities so pub sponsor, the company, commune, Ivolvo, Caterpillar speaking and quasi companies to pub, the participate the economy. The generals seeds of the term.
Speaker 4: Rapon tut adme, tonk set Tony, martel Mo, shol Perseville, Larovo Boyd is economist, the Solomon, the jurist, Tony, parallel reality, love, the.
Speaker 5: Questions, the sad reality, e la.
Speaker 4: Passy, numeric plu profit table, long term disposed analytic.
Speaker 5: Mister mathematic basic.
Speaker 4: Lexic chief replo celment, the.
Speaker 5: Milia don't.
Speaker 4: So jimiliamir co in sidmou p well a p part the profit company, the survellan Le company, the production arm a liner on ptrasse linear dirgt A direct on trosuki Israel ve mo a gaza or readaptrolesmemo con parluxidon como isntee customized pcre l de gaquis on gaza emno it's levan leedron quy to unmanned technology quych on.
Speaker 5: The responsibilison luteur.
Speaker 4: Yet to Mondelo tour monde la on a on a mempa capacity absorb luds and criminal director on rete tusa.
Speaker 5: Lisprofi lipre vik.
Speaker 4: The company is on Tanrando fer la mesu, the l amplication economy Sutia, the Kisra sanction and a large nel exemple sector militaire masscla mille finance quilla provoke jon the capital dollar system to memelis is a velor economy.
Speaker 5: L reduction, the.
Speaker 4: Reduction La fermeteur, the pure Cambal population a part of reflection on the stock exchange. The men Paski concern Monsemble City said let's lesand terre the sector preve presaid lesanter do la population.
Speaker 5: Not uhla.
Speaker 4: Set on the cond common set economic theme plus economy you do the plus moll d plus moll serve on ton bus port transformed gen.
Speaker 5: Le Let's service, the.
Speaker 4: Keip on civil bulldozer you see ski compan and the coast checkpoint lemm.
Speaker 5: Fences to rapport genome.
Speaker 4: Listed la cas reality to se the prof the companie is un profited all songs technique to term is on trye the profit.
Speaker 5: Sa i t plufa roturn on vera on the Gaza machine.
Speaker 4: Utilize tree costs bank.
Speaker 5: Gaza exactly if if sah.
Speaker 4: Safe famil fond the gaza so logo logo the machine you pull. Very lor Gazani created the bump, the bulldoger machine weapons so so lem modifi a intwn c f A, dont lo agaza sidra dramatic alas frank l Palestinian and La Palestina ti premier quila d s context the nation Ni Melia journalist Anthony Lawenstein ki docue monte ver on this La Palesina man feeluk antra dont look l let stay the technology a more militaire a.
Speaker 5: More surveillance.
Speaker 4: To Vernon the technology called the water dripping irrigation La Palestina, that's a padla research not shows the key sor dan Voll Institution, Analize Bla.
Speaker 10: Merci Catherine France and kat porfer suit A La Chistun and micaelags responsibility, the consumtur Gemre for reflections so responsibility, La press, the su key on trot, certain versions the ski pass, Dolly Territo, Occupy, Mercy.
Speaker 4: Roman, Palo sug do mon Avestigations, set down Suge Roman and bes sad mond Am vestigason on tels on a papalo premier u media for ravay uh.
Speaker 5: Command there.
Speaker 4: Malami the media Plu daughter avastigal the responsibility on a cre on on a manufactured manufactured consensus or to the certains arguement on the phones to Israel the long term APA fe Israel Israel is Israelian to le Monde, Toulmondo, monten On, Gardon p system pay A Mila Jplade mechanism MLA, Lambestiga, responsibility, desire, he Mondage, opportunity, Gerbiano Gerbiano Firm, Pascocia collected on mon experience fas Le Media on on Latin certain media and latn dans coustrem and the Overturned Windows, Romo and context Trailmitte tre Parcel, Dana lis On Park too, Jure song un La La Price deposition, the the Letta Israel and Rappell Toulmont, acquis an de pros and ternacional or Cometa and what functional republic Progeno, sid crime contry, lumanite crime de guerre see certain distance propos the represent pas.
Speaker 5: Le media for La rasmission.
Speaker 4: And field Trage, the field trage, the Ski government Israelian the shows on the proportion there on only on top see regard Liudu media Oxy don't.
Speaker 1: Come the question in the back, and I think we have to move to some questions online soon after.
Speaker 7: Okay, yes, thank you very much. My name is Satoko Dachi. I work for Japanese Dately newspaper, Your mute symbom, could you give us a sense of how many percent of the Israeli working population is engaged in either the economy of occupation or the economy of genocide.
Speaker 2: Thank you.
Speaker 4: I don't know, I've not investigated that, but approximately the entire population.
Speaker 5: Or Israeli Work Federation Sorry, probably I didn't understand.
Speaker 7: You didn't okay, I repeat my question. I just want to get a sense of the how many percent of the Israeli walking populations engaged in either economy of the genocide or the economy of occupation?
Speaker 5: Can you hear me?
Speaker 11: So?
Speaker 4: Looking at the at the surveys, I can tell you there is still a lot of support, ideological political support for the choices the Israeli government is taking when it comes to making when it comes to to Gaza, the West mank and is Jerusalem.
Speaker 5: While there are there are brave.
Speaker 4: Israelis and international activists the only ones to stand with their own body in between the soldiers, the armed settlers and the Palestinian villagers attacked. The majority is either inactive, indifferent or the There is a significant part of the population which supports the most settled, colonized, colonization driven government. More explicity, colonization driven government that has ever.
Speaker 5: Led the state of Israel.
Speaker 4: How many participate benefits from the economy in a state where there is not one sector other than the NGOs that stand against occupation or crimes abarthide I cannot tell you, but again today we should, as I said, we should stop looking at Israel and occupied Palestine and territory as if there were two different entities. And this is why I call for sanctions to be imposed on the States. And this is something that hopefully would lead to an awakening of the of the Israeli society itself. And I resent the limited and I have with this society. And I want to make the point that the few times I've been asked for an interview by ISRAELITYVASE then have been canceled. I've been available even when they were late, and then they're canceled, So there is no possibility for me to pass these messages. But I do firmly believe that Israeli society is also with very different sents of responsibility. Part of the I mean victimized by these apartheid because they are indoctrinated to a point of dehumanizing the Palestinians and not recognizing them as their peers. And this is unfortunately a state endeavor that comes from Afar.
Speaker 1: Thank you. We're just going to move to some questions online.
Speaker 5: We have you read, yes, thank you.
Speaker 12: I have two questions, if possible, so the first one will be about the fact that the US administration it seems that they're training to have you out from your mandate. Some US medias say that the Trump administration sent an official letter to the Secretary General in order to have you out. Do you have any comments on that and is it true? Because from now we have this only through media. And my second question is regarding the creation of a special tribunal for Israel. Is it something that you will support if it will be pushed by different countries, because, for example, when it comes to Ukraine and Russia, the western countries are the first that want the creation of a special tribunal. Do you see a kind of volunteers from these same countries when it comes to Israel? And do you think that it can happen one day?
Speaker 4: I I serve with a lot of pain and sacrifice this mandate upon requests of the Human Rights Counsel. Not just what happened last in the last three months. The fact that the Council embraced without challenging it, the decision of the the finding of the Coordinating Committee that I have not acted in violations of the could have conduct was reassuring because the only thing I wanted to do three months ago, after engaging so much of my of my time, and sacrificing so much of my own life to serve this mandate with honesty and integrity. I really wanted to present this report because I knew that I really believe that while yeah, member States are aware, are aware, and people are aware of the violations, it's difficult to see the system and many are genuinely.
Speaker 5: Surprised of this picture.
Speaker 4: What I shared and what reassures me, is that what I've seen today in that room at the Human Rights Counsel is something I've never seen. Forget the applausus, I mean, but I've never seen such an almost what we will support an endorsement for my mandate before. So yeah, I accept that there might be some divergent views, and we can live with the fact that we agree to disagree. I'm, as you, an a special repperteur, and I should be respected as such. If any Member States as issue with it, they can talk to their colleagues in the Human Rights Council and the creation of a special tribunal. Look, I do believe that justice is absolutely necessary. I've often said that while the we have international courts, we have the International Criminal Court, we have the International Court of Justice, we also have universal jurisdictions over the crime of genocide. And I do imagine the Palestine trials. I mean, people sometimes ask me, do you imagine the Palace the Nuremberg trials for Palestine. Yesess, I imagine the Palestine trials, which would be the full realization of justice across the border, because crimes are across the border. Human rights violations clearly show that there are responsibilities across the border, and therefore I want to see lawyers and practitioners Barris Tears and he invested in supporting civil society and work with judges and prosecutor to believers some justice. I'm not given thoughts yet consideration myself to the idea of a special tribunal. While I do think that the question of Palace time is so big, it is so overwhelming the injustice that the Palestinians have experience, which doesn't take anything away the from the injustices that the Jewish people have endured and suffered for centuries, which is also what triggers some moat and entered into Palestine. But never one justice, one injustice as as justified another injustice. So now it's the time to look at what for seventy seven years, actually for one hundred years the Palestinians have endured, and probably one adult mechanism would make sense. However, however, I also know that accountability per se, retributive justice, and even political solutions that take into account realize the rights and freedoms of all, because this is the only solution that I that I see, the only political solution that I see as necessary and vabull. Then it will be up to the Palestinians and Israelis to decide in what form of state. Thirty three years later the beginning of the this process, they want to live in one state to state states, It's up to them to decide. However, However, I also think that the world that particularly my part of the of the world struggles with and it's very necessary both for the Palestinians and Israeli, is healing, healing. There is a huge sense of trauma and probably we can't even reckon the depth of it right now, as the Palestinians in Gaza will have to survive, will have to be helped recover from what they have suffered, and they will need all our humanity, all the humanity that we have been prevented from showing them. But also the Israelis will need healing because when they will realize what they have done in the name of an ideology that has turned into a political doctrine and that has sent its youngest citizens into carrying out genocide, called the war a war of revenge, they will need more support than others in in stainings solid and sate mentally saying so this is what I think.
Speaker 1: Thank you, Olivia. I'm also online, thank.
Speaker 13: You, thank you very much. Selon quit about from Royt's here, It's just interested in what kind of response you had from overport. I think your report mentioned that you contacted a number of companies that were named like have you had any kind of good.
Speaker 1: Engagements with those companies?
Speaker 13: Have any of them been willing to kind of sit with you, have they kind of suggested any potential shift and in their in their business models.
Speaker 1: And then secondly, this is just related to something.
Speaker 13: You said in the Council you described the Gods of Humanitarian Foundation as a death trap. I'm just wondering what evidence, in your role as a special reporteur you've heard in terms of the types of injuries that people have been sustaining while trying to receive food aid. But also if you can maybe help us with clarification, because the GHF has consistently said that these deaths are not happening near its sites. Do you believe that that is an accurate statement by the GHF?
Speaker 2: Hmm.
Speaker 4: So, first of all, I've I've notified the old companies that have been named in the report, and I've not just shared with them the facts that I found in violation of national law. For each of them, I've developed and this is something that goes beyond what has been done in other similar cases. For each of them, I have provided a detailed analysis, a case by case legal analysis, so where I found their nonconformity with international law translating into violation of the right of self determination, other human rights violations, and even war crimes or crimes against humanity to an extent in which cases they could be embroiled in the crime of genocide. So the following this, eighteen companies replied. The others didn't. And of these eighteen, I can say that only a small number engaged with me in good faith, because a number of them reasserted what I had said and saying that there was absolutely nothing wrong that I was in the sense I was hallucinating. I was not reading international law correctly, and that's okay.
Speaker 5: We will see.
Speaker 4: Clearly they don't understand international law. Clearly they think that that international law is there to make excuses. And frankly they are in good companies because we just come from twenty months in which international human rights law violations have been justified as compliance with international humanitarian law like first displacement renamed, rebranded, like evacuation orders to population moved into the safe zones or yeah, safe zone, death zones which have become a safe zones, collateral damage humanitarian no human shields, and even the Gaza Humanidary Foundation is yet another chapter of the of the humanitarian camouflage. And I also think they are in good company when it comes to member states, because it's incredible how member states, for example, European States use the European Union to justify their non compliance with their international law obligations. Look, it's very very simple, the International Court of justic because you everyone says, no, we can't call genocide because there is no court to determination. First of all, since January twenty twenty four, the Court recognized the risk of a reparable harm to the policyanes in Gaza under the Genocide Convention, which means they recognize the plausibility of genocide, which means that this is the moment that the obligation to prevent kicked in. So if one has to be serious about reading international law.
Speaker 5: Literally.
Speaker 4: But you know they say no, but the European Union, the European Union doesn't allow. I mean, we are waiting for other UM member states to to take measures to suspend the agreements. Now you need to suspend your transactions with Israel because you have signed international treaties and because there's some of the valolations that we are under our eyes amount to crimes, so there might be a complicity. And therefore it's so sad as a European to see that European Union, such a nobel institution has become and the index behind which to hide in order to justify the non compliance with international law. So it's in the United States and the United Nations as well, because when I say, yeah, you should disengage and impose and arms embargo like member states from the Global Majority are already doing. By the way, Yeah, the Hague Group is a very nobel small but noble attend to to to start from addressing the root causes instead of a symptom for for a change. So I do believe that nonetheless, the companies need to understand. And this is why I was so so anxious to have this report presented. And so this is the only good thing that I've really the silver lining of these past months despital pressure, seeing that this would allow this report, would allow people to understand to have no further excuses being directly linked to these occupation, this unlawful occupation, because the International Court of Justice has said the occupation is unlawful. So we have a decision of the International Court of justiceing this is unlawful. Member states have to disengage, not to recognize as illegal, not to aid and assist ensure that the cessation, and even and even ensure that there are reparations from Israel to the Palestinians in the occupied policy and territory. So in the face of all these violations, how can ever be argued morally and legally that a private actor is allowed to do what a member state is not allowed to do. So again, I think that this is a pivotal moment. There have been other defining moments, as I was saying in the Council in human history, to bring businesses which normally escape accountability to account.
Speaker 5: And this is this moment.
Speaker 4: Palestine is really forcing us to that test. The Gauza humanitarian foundation is absolutely a death strap. I willn't know how to call the six hundred people who have been killed while trying to reach aid. Also the very the very So first of all, this is the most I mean, the term humanitarian absolutely cannot be utilized in a serious fashion toward that thing, because humanitarian aid must follow certain principles, the principle of humanity, the principle of dignity, the principle of protection of even life. So creating no harm. This creates harm. It's not a dignified way to distribute food. And AID is not providing all the aid that is adequate, So what are we talking about, So without even looking at it as a killing machine, it's not providing aid. And again I restate it's ludicrous. It's ludicrous that international community is not.
Speaker 5: Forcing is.
Speaker 4: Breaking the blockade, because this is the only sensible thing that should be done right now, Send all the country which have a port in the Mediterranean Sea should send the Navy with medical personnel under their responsibility under their flag, medical personnel, food, and any other necessity sorrysy necessary equipment to save life, including baby formula. So this is what Member States should do. Instead they stay there, criticizing at best the.
Speaker 5: Gaza Humanetarian Foundation.
Speaker 4: Again, this is one of the most sadistic exercises in intellectual gymnastics I've ever come across. And then the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation are saying that the killing is not happening near the site. Well, I've gone through plenty of video evidence. Of course, neither you nor I are there. I wish, I wish journalists could be allowed in the fact that it's not happening, while all the journalists that are available in Gaza are Bill Key are being killed one by one by one by one, and we have surpassed it two hundred and twenty. Now it's evidence that probably Israel doesn't want for the testimonies for their witnesses in this.
Speaker 5: What else I can I say?
Speaker 8: Thank you, yes, thank you Robin Millard from AFP. I don't know if you've had the chance to see what Israel has to say about your report, they said, And I'm quoting here that it's motivated by an obsessive, hate driven agenda to delegitimize the state of Israel. And they say that you're reported again. I'm quoting is legally groundless, depameatory and a flagrant abusive office. What is your response to what they have to say? Thank you?
Speaker 5: I have no comment, Yes, madame.
Speaker 11: Response debut Gino in the Gueno Seed School.
Speaker 14: Repercussion Albanesi condy Israelia, alvidrid on pass shows mercy.
Speaker 4: Mm hmm, the pal bull, crystal future, the merabianbian a voir quillia, the consequence Bane la spervoi fir moment avoir second transition and the transition.
Speaker 5: Com joan on the.
Speaker 4: Cday lao valley song and von s to the bur to the bar p lejon come come como the junk control parles great these a never, the the core, dam the don, the ju to the family, dom elvo ceo justice a ella, the orange called la fracture to say, let's say to supers, not relephant, commem on domagoisi and continue on on iron legal legal and say our discution at a m p E.
Speaker 5: Aggress mp.
Speaker 4: Portuguel susi ConA t t on diplomatic at a form the aggression aggression control un It's a surpassed systematic mode.
Speaker 5: A song on the momba.
Speaker 4: This set to set to supart and read La.
Speaker 5: La destruction, the the.
Speaker 4: The tri system, multilateral, somble and objective. Because he is only real for Vi and Verma who respect minimum, the regular con or, respect La and the governor y quy monte to key montapablo respect me. Internationals on them om om grophon press, Elia, caj on p Partoli race one set fason geral relations antternacional.
Speaker 5: The songs ambiguity, sons.
Speaker 4: And pat madup, thank you, yes, please go ahead, i'm ash pur media for the region, still real and city.
Speaker 1: Just the manly compound, the book.
Speaker 15: Caseficing spirit if they will male please price up national scoose the place rapper.
Speaker 5: Uh Japans ritoral plus on port.
Speaker 4: Lad current public rapper, the member, pluc plan Color Rapper, Solutions Massive de la press Solidarity Andfinie pleaser Actor the La Society, c V young Cluele community juve please some community Palestinian, some pas is on the on the Romans, some parallel.
Speaker 5: Pass some tobocular reactions that parallel reaction. The for more melas Samma s Romo is on to Mondo.
Speaker 4: The less the west is Seclai is only on your jos uh capital repens La major absolute parallel totality, I exprement rapp Manda and Manda. It's reperence trefort Treforta.
Speaker 15: Is on.
Speaker 4: A cuisine or Mempa Roman prix qustions. Christians to reality is on provokey be commember, I n part Pola to p v t C the the the attack, my reputation to the more me No, don don service so can It's a reponsle not reparted.
Speaker 5: The christ.
Speaker 4: Yeah, theil So city civily uh let to come come situation come on Afric to shoot probably don't look context to do the Mantel model, La part move more common A, the Solidarity, the Companion National TV only one international Avacon movement, the resistance.
Speaker 5: To the LA community.
Speaker 4: Discriminate on Afric, you should the mem Doola community, the Blanche, the Afric sud il A movement, bat Less Animni a compound final Romaneki. If you minister Lance Ministo Dela fric suld madame a lady pandorky.
Speaker 2: To le monde.
Speaker 4: Commons uh greb strikes, difici pascal ailo mondo de travaller cop fbili to the monte fragibilize, fragilize parlorment system m on casuis, the reg the reglary protege and d v D travaller protege m A tole move monkeys on Georgi, the lavell ortet lur vois la, the lexistance, the lexistance to Peplo d Peplo Palestina and the memloc is on atrando protege du mail Ic and on doc contexts prosecut j v K larel and port ju associete pascog lo monkey so cont fami fami man a, the lad dif, the religion, the ra blodtni Onelami and populus. You see stem a part in the commons passy alandnomen.
Speaker 1: Thank you Besa from an Adelu.
Speaker 16: Thank you miss Abanis for this pressure. I just want to return to the Gaza Humanitarian Foundation and after the way you described the organization, I want to ask what do you see a need for an urgent new case in front of I C j or ic C over recent killings of eight scus near the mechanism. Thank you.
Speaker 4: I'm really reassured by the fact that this company has been this entity has been the registered I hope this is the right term because I saw it in between the interactive dialogue and the press conference. But so I see that it doesn't have a protected necessarily protected status in Switzerland, in Geneva anymore, and this is reassuring. However, there is a need again, there is a need for accountability, no question about that. But I think that we need to get out of the chronicling approach and mentality. Of course, each incident requires analysis and investigation, but it's the we need to look at the ensemble, get step away from the detail. Everything is happening in the context of a destructive, intentionally destructive assault the Israel has launched against the Pas Palestinians in Gaza, which is also echoed and mirrored by the violence that has escalated and intensified against the Palestinians in the West Bank. Really, there is little capacity to understand that the two pieces of these fragments are together. The Palestinian territory that the Israel has occupied since nineteen sixty sevent is one.
Speaker 5: It should be.
Speaker 4: Treated as a territorial territorial unity, and so Israel is doing I mean, it's unleashing violence against the Palestinians with the same animals, with the same spirit, moving them out and with all means possible, clearly, and I do believe that it's necessary to see that this is not the first genocide that consists of several of other crimes. And it's in the in the inter real and interplay of all these conducts and of all these crimes, that one can also see how abandoned the Palestinians feel to this criminal design and to their destiny in their situation.
Speaker 17: Isabelle, yes, good afternoons. Thank you very much for this press conference.
Speaker 18: And you said that only sorry, only a small number of companies accepted engaged with you after receiving your report. But I would like to know if any any.
Speaker 5: Company or a few companies.
Speaker 18: Told you that they will reassess or analyze their businesses in Israel or businesses that affects the occupy Palestine and territories. And also as second part of my questions, I am sorry if I focus on one company, but you mentioned a trying building a Spanish company, and I would like to ask you because you mentioned in the report that they participate with other companies in the to expand the traum the public transport in Jerusalem. But I would like to to pres to be precise, if these expansions are touched to is Jerusalem, why what is the problem in this case and if this company has replied something to.
Speaker 5: You thank you?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: As I said, only a small number of companies really engaged in good faith, and one in particular, Uh till the point, till the last conversation where I realized that there was probably not much good faith because clearly there was an interest in not having their their name on the on the report, which I understand. But but no, I've seen no sign whatsoever of readiness to disengage. Rather the contrary, which doesn't mean that this will not happen. I think it will happen.
Speaker 2: And uh.
Speaker 4: But even if you think of the for me the most shocking one, and it's a part peculiar, uh, not a peculiar, but it is a it's particularly serious for me that the Norwegian pension funds staysm engaged in the in the Occupied Palestine and territory by supporting businesses because I've really engaged with the government of Norway, with which I've always had really good and solid, respectful engagement. But again the Norwegian Pension Fund, I mean, the engagement I've had so far with their governing body and their Ethnic Council suggests indicates that there is clear misunderstanding of international law obligations. So I truly hope that this report will give the possibility also to the civil society, to the international lawyers in Norway, like in other countries, for for the other companies and the other entities named, to engage with the with the government and otherwise if this doesn't cease, well there should be accountability and.
Speaker 5: So for example against staying in Norway.
Speaker 4: I've seen parliamentarians for example starting to uh to to take to confront the government more robustly. I've also seen in recent hours the divestment from two companies, which I welcome and this needs to continue to continue. For what concerned the company The ask company you mentioned is the CAFF. The CAFFE participate with other companies in expanding the public transport in Jerusalem, and it's the Jerusalem light Rail Consortium, which is also mentioned in the h c h R database. In the sense the consortium that CAFFE has established is with with companies mentioned with at least two companies mentioned in the in the database.
Speaker 5: So at the time.
Speaker 4: The first problem is that at the time other companies have withdrawn from their engagement and partnership with u N database listed companies.
Speaker 5: CAFF as not has not done it.
Speaker 4: But also the lines that caff is In is involved in in building include part of the part of their their their their trucks in the in the West Bank. And these lines connect colonies colonies with Jerusalem. The colonies are connected through through through this transport through transportation lines with Israel, and as I said, this is illegal, it shouldn't happen.
Speaker 5: This company is helping.
Speaker 4: Israel facilitate the replacement of the Palestinians and the strengthening of them of the colonies which are in and of themselves, as I said, many times were crime and violation of the International Humanitarian Law framework.
Speaker 6: Thank you.
Speaker 1: I think that's all the questions.
Speaker 4: We have another another element that I should add because it also shows how the businesses are connected. There are other companies that I've mentioned in the report, like the sun Involvo Excavators machinery that I've been used and there the materials that other companies, like how the Heidelberg I've provided I've been used to supply the building of these of the light rail bridge.
Speaker 5: So game, it's a system, It's really a system.
Speaker 19: Work and play on the traditional territories of the Black Confederacy, the Six Canai and Baccani, the Sutina, the Stony and the ConA nations of pir Spot Shineki in good Stoney. We also acknowledge that this territory is home to the Maji Nation of Alberta within the historical Northwest Meiiti homeland. We are honored to host the support announcement and proud to showcase the work our teams do every day to advance the responsible energy infrastructure across Canada. This facility reflects our commitment to innovation, safety and sustainability, values that are at the core of how we operate and grow our business. Thank you to our employees, partners and distinguished guests for joining us. A special thank you to the Honorable Tim Hodgson, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources, the team at the Natural Resource Canada and to the team at Entropy for their support and this important carbon seaquestration project. I'd also like to recognize the men and women who work here at the Cocran Extraction Plant, committed to the safe extraction and processing of vital natural gas liquids, products that Canadian families and businesses use across this nation and beyond every day. I am excited to announce the Cochrane Extraction Plant will also be home to the Bow Valley Carbon a CO two seqrustration facility. This plant is expected to ultimately be the initial beneficiary of the Bow Valley Carbon Hub. But more from that from our CEO in a moment for now, please join me in welcoming the Honorable Tim Hodgson, Minister of Energy and Natural Resources.
Speaker 20: Good morning everyone, Bojos, and thank you for the land acknowledgment. I'd also like to thank Corey and his whole team here at the Concord Extraction Plan for they're very warm welcome today. When I gave my first speech as a minister just six short weeks ago, it was here in Alberta and I promised to be back soon. I'm keeping my promise. You know, as a new minister, I see how quickly our country is changing, and I want you to know I get inspired watching how Canadians are pulling together to face the challenges before us. This weekend, we celebrated Canada Day, a time to reflect on our history, but also a time to be proud of how we are writing with courage, foresight, and ambition at a time of challenging global dynamics. Our country is choosing to rise to the challenge. We are choosing to strengthen our economic sovereignty, assert our strategic independence, and build a future based on our values and ambitions. The time for following others is over. If other countries choose not to lead, Canada will. It's up to us to set the pace, to deal the cards and pave the way for the solutions innovations that will power our future, whether in conventional and clean energy, infrastructure, new technologies, or critical minerals. Canada is asserting its position in the world as a nation capable of stepping up to the challenge, taking responsibility to be masters of our own home, creating wealth for families from coast to coast to coast, supporting our allies with energy security and fighting climate change, and trade according to our own interests, not just based on who are our closest customers. We are moving rapidly to secure our rightful place as a conventional and clean energy superpower. Every barrel of responsibly produced Canadian oil and every ton of clean Canadian allergy can displace less, clean, riskier energy elsewhere in the world. Our exports can help our allies break dependence on authoritarian regimes and help the world reduce our emissions. Canada will remain a reliable global supplier, not just today, but for decades to come. The real challenge is not whether we produce, but whether we can get the best products to market before someone else does. That means working with our energy sector to make investments that fight climate change so we can reduce carbon emissions and bring the lowest cost, lowest risk, and lowest carbon products to domestic and international markets like we've just seen this week with the momentous opening of the LNG Canada Phase one facility. In Kinematic CCUS technologies will be an essential part of this, presenting tremendous opportunity for clean growth, long term competitiveness, and Canadian leadership on a global scale.
Speaker 19: If we move quickly and.
Speaker 20: Strategically and leverage the best and brightest innovators and workers right here in Alberta, Canada can develop a world class, multi billion dollar CCUS industry that allows us to responsibly grow our oil and gas production, that allows us to decarbonize other heavy industries like cement and steel, that allows us to support high value jobs and a strong sustainable economy, and allows us to match building the strongest economy in the G seven with the achievement of our climate objectives. For Canada to fully seize this opportunity, accelerated and coordinated action is needed across public and private sectors. Your new federal government is working to create the conditions that put private dollars to work for Canadians right here in Alberta, in the heart of the Canadian energy industry. This includes key measures like Canada's Carbon Capture, Utilization and Storage Investment tax credit and in over three hundred million in research development of demonstration projects to prove commercial viability of CCUS technologies. Working closely with provinces is crucial, and I have to say Alberta is an MVP in our game plan across the province. Alberta isn't just keeping pace, it's accelerating our energy economy with concrete, local and innovative solutions and we want to see more of that because a strong sustainable Canada needs a strong innovative Alberta. That's why I'm proud today to announce more than twenty one point five million dollars in federal funding for five innovative CCUS projects right here in Alberta. These five projects are developing cutting edge CCUS technologies, from advancing CO two storage sites and subsurface analysis technologies to cleaner diesel fuel engines. This will drive emission reductions and create new opportunities for Canada's innovation on the world stage. They will allow us to show our peers across the country and around the world that Canadian energy is the best energy in the world, innovative, reliable, and responsible. First, we're investing ten million dollars right here in Bow Valley Carbon for the design and installation of a state of the art CCUS system, which you just heard about. This system aims to capture forty thousand tons of CO two emissions per year, equal to taking over twelve thousand cars off the road every year. This is being done with the Enter Pipeline Cochrane Natural Gas extraction plant. As you know, then Enbridge's open access Webbaman Carbon Hub will receive four million to characterize deep saline reservoirs in central Alberta, an important storage and transportation solution for local carbon capture projects in that region. Another investment of five million dollars will allow enhance energy to support hub development in new geological locations without access to the usual sandstone reservoirs. The Opticized Solutions Project will receive over five hundred thousand dollars in funding to improve the cost effectiveness of existing technologies for measuring, monitoring, and verifying underground CO two storage. And finally, more than two million will go to Oakham's Technology to investigate and test the modification of digel engines with the goal of developing economically viable capture processes for things like rail transport, marine shipping, and heavy duty truck it These are not just investments in Canadian companies. These are investments in the people of Alberta, in the long term future of the oil and gas industry, and in the technologies of tomorrow. These are investments in a tide that will lift all Canadian boats. The world is changing, It's an uncertain place right now, but Canada has always been a country of builders, dreamers and doers. So let's rise to that challenge, not with hesitation, but with boldness. Let us turn this moment into an opportunity. We will lead, we will innovate, and we will power our country and the world. The Canadian your way, if that's your vision, and for those here today and across this great province, I think it is. Your government is right here with you. Thank you, MERSI, thank you miniature and aunction. I would now like to introduce Paul Hawksworth, President and chief executive Officer of Injured Pipeline.
Speaker 21: Thank you Corey, Thank you minister. It is my honor to welcome you all here today on behalf of both Injured Pipeline and the Full Bow Valley Carbon Hub team, which includes our partners Entropy, a global leader in modular cond recapture and storage solutions. At inter Pipeline, we are a premier provider of essential energy, infrastructure and products that improved people's lives for decades to come. We are one of Canada's largest midstream companies with over twenty billion of acid value. Our extensive transportation pipeline network supports the movement of close to half of Canada's strategic oil production. Our State of the Arc Heartland Petrochemical complex produces valuable polypropylene, a recyclable polymer, enhancing the value of abundant Canadian natural gas resources. Right here in in Alberta, Canada, we also operate one of Canada's largest natural gas liquid extraction facilities, producing valuable products such as ethane and propane right here as an example of the Cochrane Extraction Plant now Cochrane. The first phase was built over fifty years ago through collaboration between government and industry, and it was based on a vision that Canada could do more with our natural resources and has been banded and modernized several times since then. Beginning under the leadership of then Premier Peter Laid, that vision took hold, becoming the facility that you know today, a critical piece of Alberta and Canadian infrastructure that ultimately delivers value locally, nationally, and now globally. It is a clear example of what strategic investment and long term thinking can deliver. Fifty years later, standing here today, those same principles are guiding us again. With the support of Natural Resource Canada, we are advancing the first phase of the Bow Valley Carbon Hub This project is right here at Cochran and we will be capturing sequestering CO two from existing operations that will be safely and permanently stored four kilometers underground. That There are many different opportunities right across the province, but one benefit here is this is one of the deepest formations that would be storing, providing an unprecedented level of safety. Combined with our innovative monitoring technologies, the Bow Valley Carbon Hub brings together into pipelines, safety record, our project execution, and our deep commitment to our communities. It is further strengthened by enter Piece subsurface specialization and their operational expert expertidens that they bring to us. It is supported by the innovative work from across Canada's research industry. We look forward to working with our industry partners, indigenous communities and other stakeholders to build even stronger relationships that can drive our energy industry forward in Canada and shape carbon capture storage as it's deployed more rapidly across this province. Thank you again, Minister for joining us today. In your comments about Canada becoming an energy superpower, I've heard you say many times, how critical it is that we continue to demonstrate our commitment globally and to our fellow Canadians that we are responsible industry. Bow Valley Carbon demonstrates that commitment. It is a tangible step forward, proving how government, communities and industry can work together to deliver real, tangible and measurable results.
Speaker 11: Thank you.
Speaker 2: The show has been produced by Depictions Media. Please contact us at depictions dot media for more information.