Speaker 1: Live from the heart of the nation's capital, this is a Jim Acosta Show special report.
Speaker 2: All right. Hey, everybody. Welcome to the Jim Acosta Show. It's another day that ends in Y and Donald Trump creating chaos on the world stage. Trump apparently posted an AI video of an attack on Karg Island in the war with Iran when, in fact, that did not happen. Meanwhile, Donald Trump is claiming that he is seizing the oil in Venezuela as part of a deal that will not help American consumers anytime soon. And we should mention this episode is brought to you by Ground News. It is a site we are using more and more every day. They not only give you the day's headlines, they tell you the ownership of the news outlets delivering that information. So check it out. If you act now, you can receive 40% off if you go to groundnews.com slash Acosta. We're using it more and more every day. But let's discuss all of this with My friend John Harwood, veteran D.C. correspondent of CNN, CNBC, now with Zateo. John, great to see you.
Speaker 3: Thanks for having me.
Speaker 2: It's a hell of a wind up there. Thanks for your patience. I appreciate it. But good to see you. And, you know, I think we should there's a lot to dive into. I think we should dive into the Iran stuff. You and I have talked about this before. You know, Trump's declining cognitive state. You know, now he's posting AI images of an attack on Karg Island, something that did not occur. It's an AI video, but it gets into sort of the delusional state that he is in frequently these days. What do you make of that? And the fact that, I mean, some of this is starting to jolt the markets a little bit this week.
Speaker 3: I'm surprised it hasn't jolted the markets more.
Speaker 4: Look, we've got a president who is not mentally well, who is not in control of his emotions. who is not in touch with reality and not interested or capable of doing the job as president.
Speaker 3: And so, I.
Speaker 4: Mean, it's unbelievably crazy for a president who's directing, acting as commander in chief in a war in the Middle East to post this inflammatory video, which is like a video game, which is how he sees a lot of this stuff. It's as crazy as him posting Canadian geese with his own hair on top of it when he's skirmishing with Canada over trade or the name of Lake Ontario, which is, of course, Lake Ontario, but he's trying to create some other world for people to occupy. It's troubling.
Speaker 3: And, you know, sadly, we've kind of gotten used to it.
Speaker 4: And I guess that's why the markets have mostly shrugged at the increasing lunacy of what's coming out of Donald.
Speaker 3: Trump's White House.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's kind of a madness of King George moment for the 21st century. And the world just says, well, we're aware that the king is mad and we just operate around that reality, that he's not in touch with reality. And you mentioned the Google thing, which I don't know. I was obsessed with this all weekend. I still cannot believe that Google would bend the knee and change Google Maps from Lake Ontario to Lake America. I mean, there it is right there. I mean, that's just a disgraceful thing. And it's not really in step with where big media is moving. I sort of feel like, you know, that folks in our industry are starting to show slightly more backbone than maybe had been shown a year ago this time. But Google, I guess, sort of like the They'll do anything to suck up to Donald Trump these days.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 4: I mean, it's easier to stand up to him than it's ever been because his popularity has eroded so much. But there are some people who are treating this, some businesses like Google in this case, that are treating it in a very transactional way and fearing that if they tweak him, even in a minor way, you know, sort of like Kristen Welker said something about Trump yesterday that was completely anodyne.
Speaker 3: And Trump went off on her.
Speaker 4: He said he'd had mixed results within his endorsements, which is true. And so they're thinking like he could mess with us, so we're just not going to deal with it.
Speaker 3: And I think that the.
Speaker 4: Stakes for the country are, unfortunately, he's going to be president for two more years, but is the extent to which the rest of the world can somehow understand that this is a crazy guy and that's not the entire country. Of course, that begs the question of why did the country put in in the white house a second.
Speaker 3: Time, uh, in the last 10 years. And, you know, there's no, there's no good answer to that really.
Speaker 2: Right. And there's also, I mean, this other reality that he's trying to conjure up when it comes to Venezuela, they announced this big, uh, you know, oil seizure deal over the weekend. He, you know, he talked about the, uh, highly respected Delcy Rodriguez, who was, who was Maduro's number two and is still, you know, part of a, an authoritarian government, I guess, democracy and freedoms out the window, uh, And they're just going to do a business with these folks. But Trump is acting as though, and there's a true social post on this, he's acting as though this is going to lower gas prices for people next week. And you know, from your time covering business, John, that's just not the case.
Speaker 4: No, it's not the case. And Donald Trump does not care about democracy and freedom. He cares about Donald Trump. He cares about his own aggrandizement financially and psychically. So Venezuela is a country that He removed what had been portrayed as a bad guy, what was a bad guy, replaced it with someone not with a new democratic regime, but a more compliant member of the old regime. And now Xi is playing ball with him. And that's what he likes. The same as with Iran. You know, he's been very erratic on Iran, saying when the war started, Iranian people, rise up.
Speaker 3: We're behind you.
Speaker 4: We want you to take over your government. And then, you know, when the hardline government gets in and they start talking to him, he's like, wow, they're being so reasonable now.
Speaker 3: We can cut a deal.
Speaker 4: And of course, then we've seen that the deals that he's cut with them are completely worthless. But this is a president who is not grounded in rationality and reality and the whole world's paying a.
Speaker 3: Price for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, he just said a few moments ago, we're doing a great, the U.S. is doing a great job with Iran. I think we could play a little bit of that. I mean, again, I guess he's reading headlines that Natalie Harp prints up and sends to him. We'll see what happens.
Speaker 1: But we have the Strait of Hormuz in extremely good shape. You know, we're taking over many, many ships that got through last night, as you know, with the Navy's assistance. And we've been averaging 30 ships a night.
Speaker 3: That's a lot.
Speaker 2: And a lot of oil is coming out.
Speaker 1: That's why you haven't seen the price of oil go like they thought it might have to go.
Speaker 3: And the main thing, when I say it all, I.
Speaker 1: Could go on for an hour about what a great job we've done. We've done a great job with Venezuela. We've done a great job with Iran. Iran will never have a nuclear weapon.
Speaker 2: See, that's what— Yeah, John, nobody thinks he's done a great job with Iran. Republicans are running away from this. And he sounds as though he thinks $ 4 a gallon is OK, that that's acceptable.
Speaker 4: Well, of course, it's acceptable to him. He's made billions of dollars in this second term. I mean, again, Donald Trump is concerned not about Americans. Americans were a tool. American voters were a tool. The MAGA movement was a tool for him to get to the White House and enrich himself.
Speaker 3: And that's what he's doing.
Speaker 4: Um, so the, the, the struggles of people, you know, Donald Trump doesn't buy gas.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump, uh, doesn't drive anywhere except a golf cart.
Speaker 4: Um, and he, he is simply not in tune or in any kind of sympathy with what people are going through. He, he does what he needs to do to try to sustain his power. It's diminishing and he knows that. Um, but he's going to get what he can.
Speaker 5: While he can.
Speaker 2: Right. And you were just telling me right before we got started here, just one of the most incredibly tone deaf things he has said in recent weeks. He was talking about people who are opposed to data centers. And I just want to make sure I get the wording correctly here. It is it's kind of astonishing. He said that anybody who opposes a data center, you know, is acting as though they want to end up being backwards and poor. That's pretty astonishing stuff because, John, as you know, many of the people in these ruby red districts are in these red states that may not stay red for very long. People are hopping mad over these data centers.
Speaker 5: Right.
Speaker 4: Well, again, he doesn't care about that. Here's what he cares about. Data centers are propping up the broader economy right now. They're propping up the stock market. That's why returns have been very good. Corporations have been doing well. And The impact on average Americans is not a concern to him. He does keep score in the stock market, and he recognizes that's a way to make money. He trades stocks while president. He's trading stocks in sectors affected by the wars that he started and other actions that he's taken.
Speaker 3: And so, you know, it's sort of tough luck.
Speaker 4: And he said in this post today, if you want to be rich and prosperous, let big data reign. And that is, to say the least, not exactly what the American people are feeling right now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it almost sounds... like one of these signals that he sends to the people on Truth Social or his buddies on Wall Street. Now's your time to go buy some stock. So I guess anything connected to a data center, I guess what he's trying to say is go buy some of that stock, because that's what I'm doing. That's what I'm telling my people to do right now.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, I wonder, I don't know if he started selling the early access to his posts, but if he has, you can be sure that data centers saw that post before anybody else and paid handsomely for it.
Speaker 2: And they paid handsomely for it. And it does raise that question about what's going on. And you were telling me that you've been talking with Senator Sherrod Brown of Ohio. And I mean, this is, you know, you and I have been covering politics a long time, you a little bit longer than me. I'm sure you and I have probably both thought that a lot of these states were going to be red for a while, Ohio being one of them. Ohio is one of the really more interesting political stories this cycle because it is trending Democratic. And it's mainly because it's becoming anti-Trump in a lot of places.
Speaker 3: Well, and that's a broader pattern.
Speaker 4: The strange thing, Jim, is you cover this stuff long enough as I have. You can see states trending one way. within the course of a few election cycles and trend the other way. I remember, this is a little off the point, but I remember in 2000, Democrats made a big bet that Florida was going to finally be achievable for them.
Speaker 3: It had been seen as out of reach. And Al Gore spent a lot of money.
Speaker 4: I think he actually drew more people intending to vote for.
Speaker 3: Him that day than George W.
Speaker 2: Bush did.
Speaker 4: But the point was, it was moving in a Democratic direction. More non-Cuban Hispanics were moving in, especially Puerto Ricans. The I-4 corridor was becoming a sort of more of a suburban.
Speaker 3: Kind of communities that Democrats could appeal to.
Speaker 4: And then it sort of switched back the other way. Now, Ohio was always a swing battleground state, but Bill Clinton won it. Barack Obama won it twice. And then all of a sudden, accelerated by Trump and his appeal to working class voters and older white voters, which predominate in Ohio.
Speaker 3: Then it came to be seen as being out of reach.
Speaker 4: But Sherrod Brown won in 2006 when the state was moving away from Democrats because you had conditions like today, unpopular president, unpopular war, economic difficulties.
Speaker 3: And it looks like, you know, a bad cycle, a bad landscape in.
Speaker 4: A particular year can overcome some of those trends.
Speaker 3: We'll see beyond 2026 whether.
Speaker 4: Ohio is becoming more competitive in a secular way, but it certainly is today. And the polls show Sherrod Brown with an eight-point lead, which is astounding when you think that Trump won the state by, I don't know, 11 points, and Sherrod Brown lost by three and a half points. So he ran eight points better than Kamala Harris did, but it still wasn't enough.
Speaker 3: It looks like it's going to be enough this time.
Speaker 2: Right. Ohio used to be the ultimate bellwether state. I mean, they used to pride themselves in being a bellwether state, and it stopped being that way. But the bell is ringing, I think. It seems to be this cycle. And one of the things I want to get to, John, before we go, and let's spend a little time talking about this. You wrote a piece for Zateo on McCarthyism, how it touched your family at one point, and what it means broadly to for the country today. And I was reading a New Yorker piece about Roy Cohn. And I think Roy Cohn, who is, you know, who saw Donald Trump as, as like, you know, an acolyte or something back in the day and kind of groomed him to be like the cutthroat maniacal person that he is. He, I think he worked for McCarthy or something like that. So there, I know there's all these parallels, but talk about, let's talk about McCarthyism and, and how it matters today. Cause I think that's such an important point.
Speaker 4: Well, We're accustomed to thinking of everything as unprecedented and a new phenomenon. But there's a whole lot of overlap with history that we can just see these cycles recurring again. And so in the mid 1950s, after World War II and the United States was undertaking the Cold War with the Soviet Union, Joe McCarthy started attacking what he said were communists all over the U.S.
Speaker 3: Government, all over the State Department in a very reckless way.
Speaker 4: That was destroying lives and careers of a lot of people and extended to Hollywood.
Speaker 3: It was in the government as well.
Speaker 4: And it even extended down to local communities and prosecutors. So my dad was a young reporter with the Louisville newspaper and one of his colleagues decided this was a few months after Brown v. Board struck down, the Supreme Court struck down school segregation, civil rights movement was growing. and he thought that it was wrong that neighborhoods in Louisville were segregated by race. So he acted as a straw buyer for a Black family, bought a house, they moved into the house, there was violence, cross-burning, an explosion at the house, and the local district attorney set out to demonstrate that it was communists behind this, rather than white racists behind it. And he had a grand jury that was looking into this, and he called my dad to try to get him to testify about a conversation he had with somebody who was observing the trial and was a friend of the guy who had been the.
Speaker 3: Straw purchaser, who was a self-proclaimed Marxist.
Speaker 4: Dad refused to cooperate, and it ended up with dad got excused. The prosecutor dismissed him, but his colleague, the journalist, got a 40-year sentence, later thrown out And when he walked out of the court, he said, as we all know, the red baiting and anti-communism is just a smokescreen for people who don't want to advance racial equality and raise wages for average workers.
Speaker 3: Well, that's exactly.
Speaker 4: What Donald Trump and Republicans are doing right now when they talk about communism and Marxists and socialists.
Speaker 3: Exactly the same thing.
Speaker 4: And it's it's a pattern that recurs and it's useful to to remind people of.
Speaker 3: How that works.
Speaker 2: And John, you know, what do you what's your sense of it? You know, McCarthyism versus Trumpism today. McCarthyism, you know, I think, you know, McCarthy sort of faded and backed away from the scene in disgrace. And Edward R. Murrow and there were some pretty. brave journalist during that time who exposed him for the fraud that he was. Does Trumpism, does MAGAism end the same way, do you think? What is your sense of it?
Speaker 3: Well, we'll see.
Speaker 4: It's fighting for a very bad election, and I suspect it'll have a difficult election in 2028 as well. I think a significant difference is, first of all, McCarthy did not have the machinery of the federal government behind him.
Speaker 3: Donald Trump does.
Speaker 4: I think in Trump's case, the communism and Marxism and socialism epithets which get thrown around are mostly a reflex for a party that doesn't have much else. I think the core of the MAGA movement, if Joe McCarthy was about the fight against communism or what he described as the fight against communism, Trumpism and MAGA is much more race-based. It's about the fear that the country is turning into a majority-minority country, and so you have this aggressive deportation plan.
Speaker 3: You've got Haitians on.
Speaker 4: Video that's circulated by the administration in chains, people who had been working successfully in Springfield, Ohio, who the local community wanted them, the governor wanted them to be able to stay. But there's this performative racism that is being repeated over and over again by Trump and the MAGA movement.
Speaker 3: And I think that's what they're.
Speaker 4: With respect to financial stuff, the people who fund Donald Trump and the Republican Party, they want tax cuts. But they get their support and they get their power from people who are animated by fear and a whole lot of racism.
Speaker 2: Right. And you have to wonder whether, you know, the people who are funding Donald Trump and funding MAGAism and, you know, his corporate daddies, if you will, What their attitude about things will be come next January if Trump and the Republicans get their clock cleaned and they don't have the gavel, they don't have chairmen sitting on all these different important committees. That might wake some folks up over on Wall Street and the winds may shift again.
Speaker 4: I think it'll preview the fact that Trump's still going to be in the Oval Office, but it's going to preview what the world's going to look like in 2029, which isn't very far away.
Speaker 3: If Democrats continue on the role that they're on now.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no question. Well, John, great to see you as always check out John's pieces on Zateo and a great catching back up again. We could have gone all day, but we won't do that to ourselves, but John, thank you so much. Good to see you. Really appreciate it. And John mentioned earlier on in the interview there, what happened with NBC's Kristen Welker beat the press. when Trump went after her and said he wanted to get the FCC to investigate Kristen Welker and so on. And it made me think, you know, we really should talk to somebody who is an expert on all of this. And Tom Jones with the Poynter Institute just wrote a piece about this today, as a matter of fact. So it's perfect timing. Tom, great to see you. Thanks for coming on the show.
Speaker 5: Thanks for having me, Jim. Good to talk to you.
Speaker 2: Good to talk to you. And I just saw your piece a few moments ago and our friend Tommy Christopher sent it over to me. But, you know, I do think it's really important. And this is what you wrote. Once again, President Donald Trump is calling on the SEC to do something that it does not have the authority to do. And why? Because he's angry about something a journalist said on television prior to the airing of Sunday's Meet the Press on NBC. Moderator Kristen Welker, terrific journalist, spoke with WRCTV, the NBC station in Washington. She pointed out that Trump is going to loom large over the midterms. But she accurately noted, you said, he, of course, has endorsed a slate of candidates in the primaries and he's had some mixed results. Just the fact, Tom, that she said that he has had some mixed results was enough to make him go off on this tirade on True Social and threaten to have the FCC go after her. What does that tell you about where we are right now?
Speaker 5: It tells me that we have a president in the White House who has no impulse. I mean, he can't control his impulses. He sees something. He immediately reacts on True Social. And then normally we would just dismiss it and say, OK, here goes Trump again, commenting, making fun of Kristen Walker, whatever. But then it has real consequences because Brendan Carr, for all we know, will look into this now. He's the chairman, obviously, of the FCC. We've seen this before, that Trump says something. Somebody in his administration reacts to that. Half the time, I don't know if Trump's being serious or he's just losing his impulse for just a moment and tweeting something out or going on true social. But the real danger here is that even though– The FCC really doesn't have any authority to do anything in this case. As our friend Don Lemon says all the time, the process is the punishment. This is something now that NBC is going to have to deal with. This is something that Kristen Welker is going to have to deal with. This is something we're going to be talking about for the next couple of days. And so this is all a part of sometimes I think Trump goes on social media. He doesn't know what he's doing. And yet there's a part of me that thinks actually he really does know what he's doing. And he's creating this chaos, this havoc to distract us from other things and also just make life the lives of journalists really difficult.
Speaker 2: Right. It's the same reason why he files these lawsuits against news organizations. It's not because he thinks he's ultimately going to win a lawsuit, although and we have seen cases where, you know, news organizations have bent the knee and paid outrageous settlements that don't make any sense. But it's the process. It's to put people through the meat grinder. It's to make them suffer. But the thing that Kristen Welker, I mean, Kristen Welker didn't even make a mistake. She did not have, there was no error in what she said. And she, by the way, I've known her a long time. I think she's great, does a wonderful job. And she just described reality. They want to go after you for describing reality now. That's disturbing.
Speaker 5: That's the disturbing part. I think, again, I think there's a method to the madness, if you will, if you want to call it that, but there's a method to this. And that is to sort of, Work the refs. This is something like, I'm going to complain about everything there is to complain about. And I'm afraid it probably works in some instances where if you complain enough about journalists, we go after journalists enough. It makes journalists think twice before they start reporting on the next story. Is this worth the hassle? Am I willing to put up with Trump's wrath for the next month, whether it's just being attacked on Twitter True Social or whether it's being attacked on shows like Fox News or whatever, or on Newsmax, places like that. It doesn't have an effect where people sort of pull their punches sometimes. I don't know. I do like to hope not. And I don't think Kristen Welker is the type of journalist that's going to back down. Maggie Haberman is not the type of journalist that's going to be intimidated by that sort of thing. But I do wonder sometime if you just flood the zone, complain about everything, even things that that you really can't be really faulted for in this case, as you mentioned, what Krista Walker said was it hurt Trump's ego because he's not a hundred percent with his endorsements. So when she pointed that out, he gets angry, but you do wonder if the next time somebody will say, I wonder if I should say this because I don't want the Trump wrath for the next week or two.
Speaker 2: That's right. It results in self-editing. I think that's undoubtedly the case and this isn't working the rest. They've, they've gone way beyond. This is kneecapping the reps. This is, you know, trying to take out the refs. And he's, they've gloated, he and Brendan Carr gloated about anchors that they've knocked out of places. I mean, folks like myself, they've gloated over the Ellisons taking over CBS and 60 Minutes and TikTok and so on. And another disturbing thing that happened over the weekend did not get a lot of coverage as much as the Kristen Welker thing. And the National Press Club tweeted about this, that the Treasury Department I guess they were having a conference. They were having, you know.
Speaker 3: They were leaders.
Speaker 5: It's a G20 conference, yeah.
Speaker 2: A G20 conference. And they're not allowing the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, and I believe Bloomberg, they're blocking those journals from covering a G20 finance minister's meeting in Asheville, North Carolina. I mean, this is, these are the lengths that they're going to now to, again, as you said, or as I was saying, kneecap the refs.
Speaker 5: Well, and it's a weird thing that like with the New York Times, for instance, one of their reporters, one of their journalists is being banned from this conference, but not everybody from the New York Times. They actually did grant credentials to somebody who is one of their, I think they're one of their Berlin correspondents who can cover this. But we're still not clear exactly what it is that got the other journalists banned. They're not some of the Treasury Department hasn't commented. Who knows? Maybe he had one line in one story three months ago that somebody didn't like. And that's the complaint. But, you know, just this, and we've seen this really, the Pentagon, I think, is the prime example of where the Trump administration has really hammered down, forcing journalists to sign forms that said, we're not going to report on anything unless we give it to you, basically, banning people from the building, going as far as filing subpoenas against journalists to reveal sources, because they have leaks within their own department. These are the type of things, again, that... And again, Jim, and not to put you on the spot, but I'm sure this is something you dealt with. So for instance, the other day, Trump comes out and just goes, just a real vile attack on Maggie Haberman, which was completely uncalled for. Disgusting. He does it. He did it to you at times. And here's the thing. But I'm sure you've been on the receiving end of hatred from the megaverse, you know, from people who, and it's, again, he tweets this stuff out. He'll go after somebody. Then he moves on with his day. But his objective has been accomplished. He has made life miserable for Maggie Hepburn. Now she could take it. You can take it. But I'm sure that there were times when you were at CNN, when he was really going after you, that you, that your life was miserable for a few days and the amount of hatred you received, emails, letters, phone.
Speaker 2: Calls, whatever, made it difficult. No, there's no doubt about it. And they know exactly what they're doing because they've been told repeatedly when you do this, when you gin up this kind of faux outrage and go after people in deeply personal ways, it often results in death threats. It results in some very menacing messages you may get on social media and I mean, I got all of that stuff, you name it. House got swatted, letters in the mail saying they're going to hurt your kids and all this stuff and really terrible, awful stuff. And I assume Maggie gets this as well. And all you can really do is have your news organization communicate to the White House, hey, when you do this, it results in this. And this goes all the way back to when he used to refer to the press as the enemy of the people. We would tell him and their people at the time, when you do that, there are going to be threats and they didn't care. They did it anyway. And it's, it's an intimidation campaign. It's, it's a way to try to suppress negative coverage and it gets news executives thinking, well, you know, should we do that story? Because gosh, you know, that might get us into trouble over here. Or, you know, should we send this person to this event or have this person cover the white house? They really don't like that person. And it just results in undoubtedly, you know, some self-editing. And I just, It's, it's, it's very troubling.
Speaker 5: Well, not only like when you look at it, when it comes to not only intimidation in terms of just like, like you just, you mentioned getting death threats and that sort of thing, but the threat of a lawsuit. Now somebody like Maggie Harriman doesn't, she's got the full power of the New York times behind her. You know, you've got people at the Washington post or the wall street journal or NBC or whatever. You have a powerful news organization behind you, CNN. They're going to protect their people. Um, But a journalist like you now who's moved on into a more independent type of role, somebody like a Don Lemon. I mean, we've seen countless journalists who've moved on doing their own things. Or maybe somebody who works for a smaller news organization. They're not backed by high-priced lawyers who can spend millions of dollars fighting these things. And the Trump administration knows that. So you do, again, it goes back to the self-editing of, Yeah, the New York Times isn't going to back down, but as some smaller news organization or some independent journalist, would they?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Well, I mean, that's the goal.
Speaker 2: I mean, to me, it's no holds barred. And my sense of it is, is that because of the moment that we're in, you just have to be as tough as nails. And the public demands that they want that. And one of the reasons why Don and I and others are doing well is because there is a sense in the legacy media, in the corporate media that there has been. some bending of the knee. And there has been some, let's pull back on the coverage a little bit. Let's not be so tough. Let's have some MAGA voices here and there to, you know, even if that person just reliably lies all the time, we have to have them on the panel or else we're going to get a call from the White House and people get tired of it. And so they go to these independent avenues, which I think is terrific. But you're right in that there is a little bit of a vulnerability in that if they want to harm and harass people, then you're kind of out in the cold a little bit. Don, when he went through his thing, thank goodness, had some very good lawyers who were helping him, I think, on a pro bono type basis. I don't want to speak on his behalf, but I think there was a lot of generosity being shown in trying to help Don through that moment. But I mean, to me, the fact that they even want to go after independent media shows that this is becoming a force in the marketplace, Tom. But the question I have for you is, what ultimately is the answer? is the answer to just, I mean, my sense of it is you just have to take it. We have to get through this, do your job, try to outlast this moment. I don't think the answer is to pull back. I think that it doesn't work.
Speaker 5: No, 100%. You do have to fight your way through it. And I think the other thing is, and this is a very difficult thing to do, is to not get distracted by the moment. I think part of this, when he goes after Maggie Haberman the way he did, I mean, he went after Maggie Haberman. She was one of, I think, four people who bylined a story talking about it. So it wasn't even that big of a deal that he's not going to speak, uh, at the world trade center on the anniversary of nine 11. Instead, I guess he's going to speak at the Pentagon, which is perfectly fine. I mean, um, instead he decides to go after Maggie here, but he goes after Kristen Walker the other day. I'm sure it'll be somebody else tomorrow. And it's, and, and when he go, when you see him in these press conferences and he goes after a Caitlin Collins and talks about her not smiling or whatever the case is. Um, On one hand, I don't think he can help himself. I think he gets very frustrated, particularly by female journalists. He's shown that. But he also will go after any type of journalist. But I think the big thing is he knows that I'd rather Tamar's story be about me and Maggie Haberman or me and Caitlin Collins or me and Krista Walker than about gas prices, than about Iran, than about how the midterms are shaping up to be a disaster for the GOP. And then he'll take a lot of the blame. He'll end up being blamed for a lot of that. So I agree with you, Jim. I think the key is to keep plowing forward, keep reporting. The encouraging thing is it doesn't seem like anybody, as much as we talk about self-editing, and we don't know what stories are being held back, it is encouraging to see the work that the New York Times continues to do, that places like NBC. What I'm really looking forward to is 60 Minutes. Like, how is 60 Minutes... got to handle the moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What do you think about, what do you think about that? I think it's fascinating because it seems to me it's already, when you have people like Scott Pelley and Sharon Alfonsi and Cecilia Vega coming out and saying on the record that Barry Weiss, the editor in chief of CBS has been intentionally injecting items into stories to change the direction of a story or add some, you know, pro Trump bias to a story. That's, extremely disturbing and i i wonder if she has murdered 60 minutes as scott pelly put it i mean we.
Speaker 5: Shall see i mean apparently she has made those suggestions into stories that we don't know if they've ever gotten in to the stories that's one good thing the other good thing is we've seen even at the end of last season for 60 minutes they continue to pretty aggressively cover the Trump administration. So there is hope that maybe they will continue. But now look, you just mentioned, I mean, they've lost some real talent there. I mean, Sharon Alfonsi and, and the executive producer has since left. Scott Pelley is no longer there. Anderson Cooper has left. So they've, they've lost some, some big time talent. They still have some left, but some interesting new hires as well. So we'll see how strong, how just aggressive they are with the Trump administration. But, but I agree with you, Jim, like this moment, I think this is a time where journalists really need to step up. I think shows like this show, the work that Don's doing, this is an important time. And I would like to think that we can outlast it, that this moment, I saw you talking to John a few moments ago, where does this thing go when Trump is gone? We don't know. But you would like to think that good and aggressive journalism will always prevail at the end of the day. We hope so.
Speaker 2: Well, and I think, I mean, just finally, I mean, I do think some changes are going to be needed in the post-Trump era. I think laws are going to have to be passed to make it absolutely clear that the FCC is not to be used as a political weapon. I mean, that needs to be written into whatever their charter is or whatever their governing structure is. It needs to state very clearly that they're not to decide broadcast licenses like they are with ABC right now. based on how they hate Jimmy Kimmel or the view or something like that. I mean, it seems to me he's, there's now a path for some reforms that are needed.
Speaker 5: A hundred percent. And again, we, you know, I, I think for this part of it is maybe our fault. I don't, I didn't think that we thought it would get to this. Like I, I think there was a lot of us. I still go back to the January. I don't want to make it a long story. I'll keep it short for you, Jim. I remember on January 6th, 2021, uh, here at the Poynter Institute, we have a lot of foreign journalists who work with us. And they said, this is going to be a bad day. You watch, this is going to turn into something horrifically historic. And I was like, no, that.
Speaker 3: Can't happen here.
Speaker 5: That'll never happen here. And by, you know, two o'clock that afternoon, we're like, oh my gosh, I can't believe this. I think there's a little bit of us that got caught flat footed with, no, the FCC would never do this. No, they would never go after that. They would, Kimmel would never can be pulled from the air. Like it's all happened. And so. Maybe with that little more experience moving forward, we know at least how to approach it in the future.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we can. I don't think we can no longer say, you know, is Donald Trump a threat to the free press or is Donald Trump a threat to the first? That question has been answered. You know, it's time to stop writing and framing things in that fashion. But, Tom, great to see you. The Poynter Institute, terrific newsletter. You guys do every day terrific stuff you guys do on the media and the free press. Really appreciate the time.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Jim. Good talking to you.
Speaker 2: All right. Good talking to you as well. And, you know, before we go, I should say, you know, we've covered a lot of news today, by the way, for folks who don't cover, you know, we do just a few things. No, no, we're covering a lot today. Apparently, the Supreme Court is allowing Trump to move forward with his White House ballroom construction. This is being reported by NBC and The New York Times. You know, the lower courts might say one thing, but once Trump goes to the Supreme Court and there's those, you know, MAGA justices who are like, Whatever you want to do, just go and do it. Hey, sounds great. Sounds great to us. We used to be originalists and go by the Constitution, but we love Donald Trump. As I like to say, who's the biggest fangirl in Washington for Donald Trump? Is it Natalie Harp or is it Chief Justice John Roberts? Anyway, NBC reporting the Supreme Court on Monday handed Trump a win by allowing him to move forward indefinitely with the construction of his new White House ballroom. The court divided five to four. granted an emergency request filed by the Trump administration blocking lower court rulings that would have put the above ground portion of the project on hold. This followed an interim decision along similar lines issued by Chief Justice John Roberts on August 21st. Apparently, John Roberts joined the court's three liberal justices in dissent. I will say, OK, I'm reading the story here. Construction of the ballroom. has proceeded apace for the better part of the year. That construction is likely unlawful, John Roberts wrote. Okay, so he has been on the forefront of allowing Donald Trump to do a lot of what he's wanted to do, but it seems that the other conservative justices on the court had other ideas, and they're allowing Donald Trump to go forward with this ballroom construction. The other thing that we should get into is the reflecting pool down in the National Mall. Remember when The reflecting pool down in the National Mall was going to be this beautiful Caribbean blue swimming pool like body of water just in time for the July 4th holiday. Apparently, and Donald Trump's had a really tough time selling this to the public. He's been telling people that vandals have gone down there and they remember he said they cut a 350 foot slit down the middle of the reflecting pool. And they arrested David Hearn, the Olympic canoeist, and said he's the one he did this and that and the other thing. Um, and it turns out he didn't do anything and the, you know, and, and the case has been dropped and so on and so forth. Well, I went down, you know, I've been wondering what's going on with the reflecting pool. You know, it's been too much. And, and by the way, Donald Trump, I guess he went on truth social over the weekend and said that the improvements to the reflecting pool are quote, almost completely fixed. Donald Trump said on Sunday, the improvements to the Lincoln Memorial reflecting pool are almost completely fixed. That is what he said. And this has been the true social post he put out over the weekend. I went down to the National Mall and guess what?
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: It is not almost completely fixed. Take a look. All right, here I am down at the reflecting pool almost two months since July 4th. Remember when Donald Trump and all the cabinet officials and all the National Park Service people were claiming that this was going to be a beautiful reflecting pool just in time for the July 4th celebration, that it was going to be like a swimming pool or like the Caribbean, and that this American flag... or paint or liner that they put on the bottom of the reflecting pool was going to transform this into this beautiful urban oasis. You can see behind me that the reflecting pool is almost entirely empty.
Speaker 3: Okay, take a look at this.
Speaker 2: I've just been spotting the workers down here on the no big contract for the reflecting pool. They are ripping up chunks of the bottom of this reflecting pool and throwing them away. obviously trying to clean up after their own shoddy work, and not from vandals down here that they've been lying about over and over. And look at the way they're trying to cover up what the workers are doing down here. They have this giant black covering going up and down the reflecting pool, so you can't really look in and see what's going on unless you look through these little tears that they've created in the line. Look at that. Once again, folks, I'm down here. I don't see any signs of any large scale vandalism. And there are some workers who are fiddling around with a certain part of the bottom of the reflecting pool. Again, it looks like they are repairing their own shoddy work. We'll stay on top of this, but it's been months and months since they predicted that this reflecting pool was going to look like something out of the Caribbean or like a swimming pool at Mar-a-Lago or something like that. And look at this. Still empty. Still an eyesore. Still not what Trump promised to the American people for the 250th anniversary of this country. Shameful. It's totally shameful. Trump said he was going to make this reflecting pool look like Mar-a-Lago or the Bahamas. And that it was going to be amazing and beautiful. And it's still a total eyesore down on the National Mall. And apparently now there are signs on those fences that go around the reflecting... I couldn't believe when I saw this. When I went down there, I was like, surely they've made some progress. And they've made almost no progress. They're still just ripping up pieces of the bottom of the reflecting pool and putting them in hefty bags and garbage bags and so on. And it's an absolute joke. And apparently they're putting up signs around the reflecting pool that blame this. They still... they still blame this on vandals and they're blaming the reflecting pool problems on prior administrations. He is the one that did this. He is the one that sent the crews, the no big contract crews down to the national mall. And they painted the bottom of the reflecting pool, which I predicted back. I think it was in April. If you paint it that dark color, it's going to cause all of these algae blooms. And I mean, I'm not a genius or anything. I heard there was like scientists and meteorologists and whatnot. He said, if you make it really dark, it's going to heat up the pool and you're gonna have all this allergy. So I'm not patting myself on the back or anything, but I did say this was going to happen and they have been screwing with this thing ever since. All they had to do was just clean it up a little bit and it would have been fine. And it would have, it would have kept on going on as this reflecting pool that gets a little green and a little mucky every now and then the ducks are swimming around and, and that's just how it is. But Trump and this is exactly why he should not be trusted with the White House ballroom project. It is exactly why he should not be trusted with the Kennedy Center project. I guess Sheldon Whitehouse, the senator from Rhode Island, he's fired off another letter to the Kennedy Center. People saying we want to see your financial books. And Donald Trump still wants to put his name on the Kennedy Center. And we've been following that saga. We were out there. Remember that night all night when they were taking his name? And, you know, Sheldon Whitehouse, the Senator from Rhode Island is saying, we want, we want to see what's going on in your, your financial documents too, because it sounds like you don't have any money. And that's why you, you are shutting down the Kennedy center because you've run it into the ground because nobody wants to go see a Kennedy center with Donald Trump's name on it. Nobody wants that. Nobody wants to go down to the national mall and look at a reflecting pool. That looks like a sewer that Donald Trump screwed up because he's incompetent. Um, people don't want to go down to the white house and look at the white house. If there's a giant hole in the ground and some monstrosity gilded golden faux golden monstrosity that he's building, people are not going to want to go and look at the white house other than the people who pay Trump to be in his good graces, uh, or suck up to him to be in his good graces. But I mean, that, that is the long and the short of it folks. So again, so when he, puts out there in a tweet that, oh, we're bombing Carg Island, or we're taking over the Venezuelan oil to lower gas prices, or the reflecting pool is almost finished. I know, this just in, shocker, Donald Trump completely full of BS. Once again, another day that ends in Y here on the Jim Acosta Show. A couple of final things. As we said at the top of the program, The show today is brought to you by one of our sponsors, groundnews.com. They not only deliver the day's headlines, they tell you the ownership of the outlets delivering the news. Go to groundnews.com slash Acosta. Right now you get 40% off. And so check it out. We're using more and more every day. Don't forget, we have the daily Jim Acosta morning memo, our daily newsletter now available on Substack and YouTube. Check it out. It's terrific. And also on the Substack today, we, We did also publish a piece from our friend Juliet Jeske over at Decoding Fox News, doing a deep dive into the Natalie Harp cult-like worship of Donald Trump. That's another thing on the site today. So check it out. Lots of good content for you on this Monday here at the very end of August.
Speaker 3: September?
Speaker 2: Is September tomorrow? I think September is tomorrow. My God. The year is flying by.
Speaker 5: But, folks.
Speaker 2: Really appreciate everybody supporting us each and every day. I want to thank John Harwood for being on the program, Tom Jones over at the Poynter Institute. Thank you, all of you, for tuning in each and every day. We really appreciate it. Still reporting from Washington and by the Reflecting Pool on occasion. I'm Jim Acosta. I'll see you next time.