Speaker 1: Coming to you from the dining room table at East Barbary Lane. Welcome to another special episode a Full Circle the Podcast. I am your host, Charles Tyson Jr. And I am so excited to be sitting with our guest today. Besides being a friend of the pod, he is a friend in real life. He is a ridiculously talented choreographer and art maker and educator and scholar and all around bad bitch. Tommy Wyheed Evans is in the house.
Speaker 2: Hello, sir, Hello, I need to say that one.
Speaker 1: It will always be. I am fabulous. How are you?
Speaker 2: I'm fab to thank you for those beautiful words. You know. We're just out here trying to live life to the fullest, make some art, and eat some chicken.
Speaker 1: Hey, what more can you ask for besides a check for a million dollars?
Speaker 2: I would love that, Actually I really would, because I'm trying to go on vacation this summer.
Speaker 1: Right What was what was that? That means? I'm not saying money can buy happiness. I'm just saying all my problems could be solved by three hundred thousand dollars right now?
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, So.
Speaker 1: You are like straight up one of my favorite choreographers.
Speaker 2: I just want to pause and say insert no, really, because you know, as this particular mind getting ready for the mission that I'm sure we're going to talk about with Martha Graham, there has been three writers and now you who have begun the conversation in that regard. And you know, I'm not originally from Philadelphia. You know, I'm from Los Angeles and I moved here in two thousand and two, and I don't know, I just feel like Philly is just my home. It's just it's my peoples. And the fact that all you all have just like supported me in such a way and have like lifted me and my work and what I'm doing up, it just really means a lot. So you say something like that, just really like that just me. It's just true.
Speaker 1: Like I was trying to think this morning, when did we meet me? And the earliest time that I can remember encountering you, So this might not be when we met. This is the earliest time I can remember is think back in the back back it was Brian Mangenie's Ballet Boys showcase. Do you remember this at the performance garage? This is like one point zero performance garage. They didn't have the renovation. Yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, yes, it was a mixed build.
Speaker 2: My wonderful picture came from him that I used forever and I can't use no more because my body don't look like that.
Speaker 1: It's like I could use a I but then I'd be lying.
Speaker 2: But it's one of my favorite pictures. Yes, one of my favorite pictures, one of my favorite pictures.
Speaker 1: Yes, we're going to say that you are the best thing that came out of that because at the time I had a solo in that show and it was set on my ex and well, I mean the piece was fiers.
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, okay, okay, okay, but I.
Speaker 1: Think that also, yeah, that might have been. Yeah, that would have been when I was introduced to your work. And I just remember, first of all, it was all black men, which was beautiful and just your movement style. It was highly technical and athletic, but there were also these subtle touches and those are the things just made me go, m like the thing that sticks out to me because I remember telling people about it, there was this join Tony Tony Rhoades did it, I remember very very clearly, and he like, uh, he did this combination onto the stage and then he like he slowly reached up to the sky and then just released with this sigh, and that took me out.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: It's like those are the things that get made.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, it's humanity. You know. We want we want. I know for me and my work, I want people to have an experience, to see themselves, but to ultimately feel something. And I think that deeply comes from my background in church. You know that Black Church of God in Christ, Pentecostal church, not not not the one that's polite, but the one that gets a little dirty and messy and little guttural not mess dirty, but your guttural. Because I find that, like you know, and we experience that a lot of times, like with singers period, just some good pay La Belle, Fantasia, Jazz and Sullivan, Like sometimes they're not even saying anything right, but you are, you are understanding, you are connecting, you are feeling they are saying and doing something that you are relating to in your body in that moment. And I like that with dance, like the fact that sometimes one of my favorite dancers is Renee Robinson who was in Alvin Ailey and Renee can just simply walk across the stage in the back and something so captivating you know, drew you in to watch her. But something about that was reflective to you. I can't describe it. Something you felt it in your body. You understood it. So I adore that you felt that moment, because that's exactly what I try to do with choreography. You know, it's not just about showcasing this dancer's talent in a way that you, as an audience member can say, I can never do that, but it's that you feel that it really relates to you and in your life and in your relationships and your walk, like something is there for you.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, that's subtlety. I'm the right audience member for that, because, like I notice, when I go see things, the things that make me go yes as opposed to the things that make other people go yes. Because I remember it was the IABD Gala. Oh god, this would have been two This would have had to have been two thousand and nine.
Speaker 2: In Philly.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, okay, okay, that makes sense. Okay. And I'm up in the balcony and you know, there's like some young dancers to my left, and you know, all the fears twirl leg leg things and they're going yes. And I remember it was Camille Brown and she was doing this solo and like she hit this fears come Nation. But what got me was like she rolled to the floor and then came to a dead stop, look at the audience and like flicked her brown. That is what made me go yes. That's the kind of thing that sends me yes.
Speaker 2: Yes. I love when I talk when I'm in rehearsals or in process, not rehearsal, in process. I share with dances i'm working with. I'm more so interested with the in between than the big things, the jets a, the period with the Arabas to tell that's the big things, Great, you're going to do that. I'm interested in you investigating and nurturing and finding nuance in the in between because that's what we see and what we feel when you grab that partner's hand or touched their shoulder or caress their face. That's humanity. Everyone sees a situation that they've been in, whether it's love or hate. You know, I in my most recent piece I did on Philadeenka, I think last year twenty twenty five spring, Yes, promise me you won't call. At the end, there's this duet and the male identifying dancer of the duet just simply as she's reaching for him, he just ducks under her arms and walks away, and she's there, like, you know, left alone in the whole audience for the entire weekend Friday, Saturday, and Sunday all just gass. It was like it was a moment that they felt, but it was also a moment that they probably went through.
Speaker 1: And we're not getting that clean catharsis and resolution that you felt like you were going to get.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and it's inside of the she did an arabas he did a time dude, right, so amazed. But it's like when you're able to create that juxtaposition in choreography, that's you know what Camille did in that solo. It's just a position like the kids are sitting there looking at how she's swirling up, but then you're sitting there looking at her subtlety, and it's like you're getting this. Now, you're getting this, which I believe happens in Black Densha. You're getting this well rounded experience that transcends paths. You know, it goes somewhere else. It just that's how that's the ability that we have in our blackness with our art. We're able when we listen to Aretha Franklin, Yeah, she's she's hitting C sharps and modulations and bending notes and doing all the things that we study. But then she's moaning, and then you're just feeling emotions and you're connecting to soul and depth. And I love that about black people that we are able to do that.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And it's like, you know, the the high leg, the multiple turns, that's the vocabulary, but it's like are you saying something? Are you just speaking words? That's what it comes down to, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: And Yeah, I dance for many years with Jomies Brown and she will always say that what are you trying to say? And Miss Debaschase six, the former rest director who's now with the Ancestors, will always say that, but what are you trying to say? Right? Tell a story? Yes, I totally agree with you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because like you know, after a while, you know, you can only kick your face, but so many times before it stops being exciting unless you got something behind it.
Speaker 2: Yes, and you know something I want Younger dances to also know so that you know, as I say this next thing, because I used to be able to kick my face and do the things. It is also but you just get to age, you don't even want to do that all the time, or you don't want to always have to just like okay, yes, and I will always say you hit an age and dance, especially when you're in a company where okay, there's a couple of things that happen. You get into a company, you just want to get cast it, you want to get out there, and you're particularly younger. Then you get into your later twenties where like, okay, now it's all coming together. You're understanding your body, You're you have this experience under your belt, you be starting to be regarded, you're dependable. It's the boom. You're out there even more. Then comes those early thirties, and this is where it gets interesting because one it always don't feel good. Two, now there's your two generations away from the incoming. So now there's a whole new energy. And now you got these these these dancers who want to just kick and kick and kick and can do it. And you are now in the body that's like I've done that, But now I really feel how it's feeling to get off this tour bus and get back into rehearsal the next day and say it again, pull people out in the back. And then you also don't have to prove in that same way, like you don't have to you know, when you're twenty six, get off the tour bucks and Alonzo King is in the studio and you and that show the night before only did one ballet. You're going to get into that rehearsal with King. You're going to kick some butt because you are trying to get into the ballet. But when you're in your early thirties, you're like, well, Lonzo King already knows me, and I've just did for ballets the night before. Give me a second. And going back to the thing what you're saying, I just believe that when I turned thirty, I begin to understand, Okay, my body is still capable, but that is just I just don't want to continuously do that just all the time in that way. I need something else. I need to explore this moment. I need to find newness. So maybe that regard, maybe that maybe that becomes a situation where I'm not lifting my leg up as high, or I'm playing with the idea of Porto bra I'm investigating through this piece in a in a less visceral way. You know, I'm finding other nuances. You know, I'm you know, I'm You have to put yourself in in a in a situation where it's not always just that, because it's not always that I'm going to get older and it's not going to happen. It's just I'm gonna get older. I'm gonna realize that I don't always have to do that. I don't always when I'm in a relationship, have to scream at my partner. We can simply have a conversation and sometimes listen to me. Young people, sometimes when you whisper it and you simply just walk away, that do that does more damage then you're screaming down the street banging on his car. I may have to in my life. But you know, we're talking about that another podcast.
Speaker 1: I don't know what you're talking about, but you just.
Speaker 2: Learned backs back to dance. You just learned that, like it becomes about those in betweens and those subtleties, and that that actually is what carries you through. It makes you an artist.
Speaker 1: That part yes, and you are definitely that, and you have been such an artist. I'm going I'm going to jump to the lead now, you have become such an artist through your time with Philadenko and with your company and as a solo performer, that you have been commissioned to create a work on none of them than the Martha Graham Dance Company.
Speaker 2: Heller hellar such a blessing, so exciting.
Speaker 1: What was that announced? What did that announcement feel like?
Speaker 2: So it was it was a bit surreal. I was on a call. I was actually doing a call with the Art Philly team and Philadenko's staff, and they were just explaining what they would want this collaboration between Philadenko and Martha Graham to be, and how it's tying into the two hundred and fiftieth anniversary of America, and this idea that there be a choreographer from Philly who can ultimately give the Martha Graham Dance Company of sort of like Philadelphia experience, kind of like welcoming like us, like like them coming over and like we just having like this party with them in art and on our turfs. I'm not really describing it in the best way, and some kind of way I guess through hearing that Jeannmies Brown was just like, oh, that should be Tommy, and they were like, oh okay. So then they brought it back to Janet Ilber, who is the artist director of Martha Graham. And she's someone I've been lightly emailing my work too, just in the shuffle of like I'm a koreacifer, look at my work. So some kind of way, I think she took a deeper look into my work and was like, yes, this would be a nice idea. So then our Philly came to me, the people from our Philly, and so all right. So the idea is to use the archive of Martha Graham's American document piece that she choreographed I think in nineteen thirty eight. I don't want to really give a nineteen thirty eight. I think it's nineteen thirty eight.
Speaker 1: Though still roundabout.
Speaker 2: And it's around it, it's around a time. And so the idea because a lot of what in my opinion of Martha Graham's dance companies, newer works, it's always in conversation some kind of way to Martha in her work, whether you know, said choreographers following a picture or a quote or a music score that was unfinished or something, in my opinion says like it speaks back to Martha, which makes this was a way, which was a way that this commission speaks back to Martha. Was like, well, you know, she does this piece called American Document. It's celebrating, it asks the question of what does it mean to be an American? And her source material was the Decoration of Independence and other And so when I was brought that, I said, well, number one, I want to be just in conversation with her. And something I told the Dances in process recently, I said, it's it's almost like that that YouTube clip if you ever seen it of Nikki Giovanni and James Baldwin Ago. So yes, you know, just two people sitting and having a conversation and posing their ideas. And you know, that's how I begin to think of the framing of the word. But to go back to it, when it really started to take off, I had an old ship moment. I was like, oh shit, like this is big, this is like and I was like, this is big. I didn't I didn't expect it. It wasn't on my docket. I think in previous seasons, I you know, you talk to people, you're getting interests, You're like, let's keep you know, just keep showing me your work. It's such a it's a song and dance that I simply got on a zoom call because JB's like, I need to get on a zoom call with me today, and I said, okay, I got on, and thinking I was gonna be a liaison in a different capacity, she just suggested my name and I said, oh, let's go. It's go time. And I think it's just been such an exciting process. I'm really proud of the work. I'm really excited about the work, and it's go time. Let's let's do it.
Speaker 1: I was so thrilled when I saw your name on the press release, and well, two things went across my mind. One was work. The other one was like, oh because when we went and saw Martha and I went and saw Rennie Harris's most recent residency work and oh, we can talk about it. And there was that big installation dedicated to Philadenko and I was like, oh, that's cool, Well what's that doing here? And then that two and two made four and I was like oh they're doing oh and then oh and then he's oh, yeah, I got so excited and that I was immediately like, first of all, we need to have him on the show because I need to talk about this to someone besides myself, Like, I am so proud of you, and it just makes sense. It just makes sense to me.
Speaker 2: Just I am so I thank you so much for that. Yeah, to be at his show, even he said, Rennie, that is sorry. Rennie was like, you're just gonna stand over here and act like everything is normal. And meanwhile, like you're you're and the process to this work you're doing is right over here, and that's you know, I just want chicken. I just want some chicken. You know, I'm just here to make some dances and get some some chicken. But it keeps like, I don't know, I think I suppress it, like, oh, it's a simple commission, and every.
Speaker 1: Because you want to be humble. You don't want to like, you know, I want to be like.
Speaker 2: I'm out here making this valet. Everyone everyone stand up. No, you don't want to do that. But you also it's it's not weird, that's that's not the word I want to use. But like It is interesting when your dreams start to come true in the regards of how the opportunities are coming through and how you desperately want to stay normal, like you want it to be like just another you know. I started making works a long time ago for like Elli on Dance Theater Philadelphia Treasure, And my biggest thing on days they were premiering a new piece was I was eating skills in the back of the house and I still want to be that Tommy, Like, I just want to walk into the theater see the piece. And I think when I saw the installation exhibit, I was like, Okay, this is a big deal. This is a big deal. This is a big deal. But okay, just concentrate on making the work, looking at its remaining calm, making sure your point of view is clear. But I'm pretty sure the night before May twenty eight, I'm gona probably be somewhere like willing.
Speaker 1: You've got to give yourself that moment. You've got to if you haven't already, come on now, just even if it's just like standing in the middle of the room, just throw your head back in screen. I am mirroring a work on the Martha Graham Dance company, bitch.
Speaker 2: You got it. You gotta get through the tech like you gotta get that's my thing. You always you gotta get through the tech. When you get to the tech and it's like okay, the ideas, the costumes, it's boom. That's when you can say, for then you got it. You just that's I think it's not really about jinxing. I think that's just when maybe subconsciously, I can allow myself to feel okay, okay. You know, like when I got to Googleheim. That was a very exciting moment, like to see to receive an email and to for to say the words of congratulations, you will be getting this award. The only thing you gotta wait on is these people are going to vote on it. The board of trustees put the panel already got your name on this list and you go, babes, that was like out and for that moment, I can trust it. But right now with dances you put on stage and the art and you notice, as a creator, it's like you gotta make sure it gets rolling right then you feel it, then I might I think I'll feel that excitement, But even then you might not see me after the show. That's a horror podcast.
Speaker 1: Fair because like I imagine, you know, it's got to feel both surreal and correct. You know, surreal because you know how many individuals walk in the planet or that have walked the planet can say I was commissioned to create a work in the Martha Graham Dance Company like that is like a unique experience that not a lot of people get. Right, okay, fears, But at the same time, you have been working towards this moment, Like this moment just makes sense in the trajectory of how you've been leading your life and putting out your work and investing in yourself and investing in your art, like this just makes sense. At least it does to me, so I hope it does to you.
Speaker 2: Very grateful it makes you know, just I think when you start making work and you start getting opportunities, you just you look to the next like, well, okay, what's next, and not like the next as like what's big. But you just want to keep you just want to keep making work, right, And I think I am very grateful, And yes, it's like it's exciting to make you know, And honestly, maybe Paul is I say this. I think Tommy ten years ago are seven years ago would see the name, the opportunity, the lights, the glamor, you know, the outfit, the bow and photograph honey, and to see like how can you know? The desperateeration of wanting to leverage it and expecting the expectations like we now. I'm sure this up thing is coming next to but I think ebbing and flowing in COVID and you are closing and all the things has come in adulting. While creating, I am more so more concentrating on the importance that it is to just be in a room and getting to make a dance. So yes, I feel the honor and the grateful and the prestigeous prestige nous of this sitution situation. But I'm also focusing, okay, with who and what is the next dance I get to create? And it doesn't need to be I hope it to be, but it doesn't need to be.
Speaker 1: It needs to just be right right.
Speaker 2: And you know, OLDA Sali once time told me that he said, every day you create is important dance, but don't negate when you're at Metropolitan Youth Ballet making a little eight minute daddy for Lisa Collins, make them a ballet, like concentrate on the dance and that's important. And then when you're in the studio with Martha Graham and Philadelko dancers, you make them the same important ballet you show up to make because you just want to make. Also have been thinking of Charles. I've been thinking a lot about time, watching people age and closely seen that as creatives, there's this window and as that window closes, only so many will remain legendary status kind of, you know, like bil T Jones can make a ballet if he wants to make a ballet, right, you know, and if he wanted to put in my opinion, let me say that, in my opinion, if he wanted to put a blast dollar email to all the top companies, it's like, you know what, I feel like making works this year. They will commission him. They will say, yes, they will look at that. There are people who might have been making work at the same time as Bilty Jones who didn't get to make it to that status in that place. But I hope they're still making dances, right, And I think that's all I'm trying to constraint on. I just want to make dances.
Speaker 1: Something you said really struck me. You were talking about the desperation of you from a few years years ago. And I definitely feel that because like young artist Charles, that was like I wouldn't have phrased it that way, but that's what that was, that desperation, like I gotta go and I gotta do, and I gotta meet and they gotta they gotta know who I am, because if they don't know who I am, then ain't nobody. I'm never gonna be able to do anything. Oh, I got you, I get that. That's that's real.
Speaker 2: The idea is important. You need to hear it, need to see it. You're getting critiques and you're not really listening.
Speaker 1: Lord Jesus, Lord Jesus.
Speaker 2: You're not listening. But also you're not able. Because I want to tell young artists it's not about like conforming and slencing yourself sometimes it's just really about slowing down to articulate yourself, expressing the importance and then finding a better way maybe to like go about it and not being so hear me, now, move out the way. But more so, okay, this is my idea, you know, let me hear your thoughts on it, and then really finding the essence and the importance of what you're trying to do to get to the thing. And then something I want to tell young artists too, is like, that won't be the last thing you make. So if this person is giving you pushback, this director, this producer, fill in the blank, you can you can say I can save my idea for another thing and have more ownership. I got a story about that. You like to hear about it? Here it goes. Now you've been just kidding, But yeah, I gave a company an idea.
Speaker 1: Please.
Speaker 2: I gave them an idea and the director pushed back on it, and it just began to be such a battle about doing my idea that they first agreed on doing. And before I got South Central, I just had the pause and go intie myself and collect my self work and say, Tommy, you know the idea can work. Maybe this idea is just not for this organization, and that is nothing wrong. And I still have a relationship with the organization. But I took my idea and gave it to Philadelphia Dance Projects Terry Fox, and now we're presenting it in twenty twenty seven, funded by PEW. It's okay. Bam and I wish so when you when we talk about old Tommy twenty and seventeen, I wanted everything. And I have a best friend who is also my manager, Lamar Baylor, and he simply asked me because I was I was fighting with the organization. I was fighting with the organization about an application, about how this needs to happen. I wasn't fighting. I was just being like aggressive, like are you submitting it? You're not submitting it, and this is about this was for something else. And inside of hearing me vent Lamar simply asked me. He said, why is this award so important to you? Why getting this award is so important to you? Like what would this do for you? And at that moment in twenty seventeen, I just felt like I just wanted the awards. I can say I got the award.
Speaker 1: You want to collect them like infinity stones.
Speaker 2: Like I'm like, I'm the Grammys and this is Whitney Houston album. I got five of them, like holding them at the press conference. That's what I wanted. And I had to get to the root of it and said, this award gives me an opportunity. This award is for leverage this award helps me to get into a studio and make a dance. So that's all I want to do. So when this is back to what's happening in my life right now, listen.
Speaker 1: Martho Graham companies that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, being in that studio, being in that studio with these people, I'm like, WHOA. But being in this studio with those people, I'm like, but I'm working to work. So I'm not even in here thinking about the blog post as I can make the content. He sit in the studio with my glasses giving a post. I'm not even thinking about that. I'm thinking about that.
Speaker 1: I'm thinking about please tell me you did that always for you.
Speaker 2: Today I threw on this. This is not even part of my outfit. I just threw this vest on, this hat. I said, we're gonna we're gonna be on a post. We're gonna be on camera. We gotta be on camera. But it's not But it's it's just not no longer about the showing of that. It's just I want to like, you know, I put this vest on, this this hat on, But at the root, I just want to be in conversation with you talking about dance. That's what makes me happy, and that's what I need to happen for the rest of my life.
Speaker 1: And that's the media comes through. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So doing this thing with Martha Graham and Philadenko, I'm just like, great, Now, could we see the future of it? Could it walk? Couldn't talk? Maybe? But if on May thirtieth, after that last show, if Joan Mais Brown and Janet are both like, all right, this was great. I have this, I have this memory, I have this piece, I have this in.
Speaker 1: My you better have your video.
Speaker 2: All of it, all of them, you know. I have this thing, and I just really want to say again, I know sometimes people don't say it, but like, I'm really proud of the word good. They're dancing, We're dancing, We're we're we're We're in there conjuring, hunting, We're conjuring some spirits and some some emotions and some stories. So yeah, I love it.
Speaker 1: So is this piece just you? Creating on the Graham Company dancers was also like is it a Danko dancers and Graham? Like, how was it? Yes?
Speaker 2: Okay, So the idea was the piece be with four Graham dancers, and I was initially supposed to only use four Danko dancers, so it's gonna be eight dancers in total, four and four. But I had an extra dancer from Danko come and be understudy, and you know, Charles, that first week of starting this process, she was just in there killing it. I just said, well, we're going to use five Danko dancers and for Martha Graham dancers, and everyone agreed on it, and it's worked out really lovely. My first idea for the process was that I was going to do a piece where it would have been five sections and Martha Graham would had a section, Danko would had a section kind of thing. Yeah, like the first the first idea was Graham was going to get a group section, then Graham would have like a solo do at section, then Danker would have a group section, and then Danker would have a solo group section, and then they'll have a section together. Because in Martha Graham's original American document piece, it was five sections and we got to go in and make him generating material. And I said, hmm, we're just all gonna be one company. We're gonna be one one ensemble, and you know, all five sections is is both companies and they're integrated in ways where the goal is. You know, if you saw the piece outside of the context of a Martha Graham show or a Philadenko show, and you just saw them, you would just see an assimble. You wouldn't be able to say, she's in Danko and she's in Martha Graham. It's just which. One thing I want to I want to bring to the listeners is, you know, I come from the black dance tradition, the black dance esthetic. I trained at the Alvin Aley American Dance Center before it was called the Aley School and Martha Graham's technique. The Graham technique was very important. You had that three times a week. You had it's like, it's it's a part of our training. So to really you know people, I had a friend who said, oh, like, it's interesting that you're doing a piece that's a collaboration between Danko and Martha Graham. Like I wouldn't really see that, but I'm like to this person who's also African American, I'm like, but you trained in Graham, right, you know what contractions are you You have had that that teaching deep in your body, so that actually makes a lot of sense that this type of you know, have Pat Thomas, Pat Thomas, Mary Hinkstonuvey Williams, Euroco all were teachers at Philadenko. So of course you know that's ingrained in our Denise Jefferson and she rests in peace, all ingrained in who we are, in our aesthetics. So to be in the studio all together, it just makes so much sense that we just become one. Right.
Speaker 1: That's the other thing. When I when I when I realized that there was going to be that collaboration, that's another element that just made perfect sense.
Speaker 2: It just did.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, well, well, of course there's that connection because like Danko is as steeped in Graham as it is in Horton or like any other foundational technique, that just makes sense. And then I was like, why the hell ain'th this happened before? Because that just it makes too much.
Speaker 2: I don't know where we're you know, Charles, I think where we're going in dance presentation because I know recent in recent seasons Paul Taylor and Dane Contemporary Dance Company has done some type of collaboration like this. I just I'm just questioning, like I think more companies need to take on this challenge or this idea. Not challenge this idea, it's just because it's really it's really interesting, and it's a shared audience experience. Like come next week at the at the Annenburgh, You're going to be in that audience and you're going to see Philadenko supporters, you gonna see hardcore Martha Graham supporters, and there's this opportunity that there could be a crossover.
Speaker 1: I just had the most entertaining visual image because I know how we are when it comes to Danko. We we can be our routed bunch.
Speaker 2: And we're gonna get rowdy and I'm gonna.
Speaker 1: I am glad that I learned how to be a dance audience member in Philadelphia because I learned that it is okay to be rowdy and express your your your appreciation. And then growing up through the growing up, coming up through the Carriamu and company like.
Speaker 2: Million years, yes, yes.
Speaker 1: But like you emote, you vocalize, and you know, some of the more buttoned up members of of of the Arts audience they hate us it next to me and I do not care. I am so excited. Yes, I am so excited to see these because you know, I'm just gonna say it. The Martha Graham Company and the aesthetic is viewed as being very white. I said it. I mean, it's just just by RTHU of it being what it is.
Speaker 2: No shame, I would say, because it's like it's high art.
Speaker 1: It is.
Speaker 2: I have a friend who's a choreographer, well known choreographer. I won't say his name like that, but he says it a lot. He wants to create high art in the line of Martha Graham, Paul Taylor. He wants, you know, he's black.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing.
Speaker 2: I want to create high heart.
Speaker 1: It's high art anyway. But it is also like historically been white. Like that's not shade, that's just a fact, you know, and and and you know it's but because it is high art and because of it has been white for so long, and I'm putting the agent white, the other age white, the audience and this is and this is obviously changed over time, like I recognize that, but like there's a certain expectation, there's a certain vibe experience, right that you know, when you go to a GRAM show, it's a little more buttoned up.
Speaker 2: You know, it's like they may they may applaud an excitement if something's like generating, they may say who right, But when you add a Danko performance and that same type of excitement is happening, Yes, it's the vocalization is going, you better, go, you better.
Speaker 1: That's what I'm excited to see happen.
Speaker 2: That next what and for me to jump in on that what I'm excited for. Not to get too much out, you know, I am one of the resident choreographers of Phodenko and I'm a long time member, and I agree with you. When I moved to Great City and experience the Philadenko Saturday show, I was like, oh, this is something I've never experienced in my life where the audience gets robbed up, but the dancers go to a place and it's like, you're no. I remember my first Saturday Philadenko show. I was like, I'm looking at someone. I know. I've looked at you for the past couple of months. But now that we're on this stage, you you are you transformed on me. Dog, You're somewhere else. You're lifted. Spirit has come in, you have long You're doing things with your body that I kind of thought you could do, but now you are taking it there. And we had a rehearsal in New York with Martha Graham and Danko. Dancers started to teat that line. They started to hold things and do things with the with the material. And I said, that's gonna be interesting for Graham to get on stage at that Hanenburgh because Graham Danko's gonna do that home turf like we at the fourth, the Final four, and it's like people here and this is what we do. And I'm excited to see how that gets. The Graham dances because I feel like they are also they're also because dance is contagious. Good dance is contagious. And the thing I was saying about when I watched one of my friends on stage be transformed, I didn't go back to my dress room thinking to myself, Oh, they just all started to get on stage and I don't know what was happening. I said, Okay, all right, you doing that. I'm gonna do this. And it starts this conversation and we all know one thing Graham dances are. They have epicness. They're dramatic. They are and I mean dramatic as an expression. So I don't think they're gonna be attimidated by that. I think they're gonna get excited about It's gonna turn into this whirlwind of an experience. And that is what I'm excited about.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, the dancers. That's that's another thing I was thinking of, like the excitement of the GRAM dancers getting sinking their teeth into your material. Cause you know, I I am not as well versed in uh more contemporary works that have come out of the company. Like I know, I know the repertory and I love that, but I don't know how uh diverse their more contemporary programs have been. I assume they have been so, But I I also know what it takes to be a GRAM dancer, just like I know what it takes to be a dental dancer. So it's like all that facility, you know, it's just and then it gets to let loose in a way that they're not they're not I don't gonna say, I'm not gonna say I used to, but that they're they don't do every day ye sighted to see it.
Speaker 2: That's also you know, speaking and I love this conversation we're really having. I just want to say that. It's I've been writing a lot in materials that I've been working on in the applications of sort. It's like, this is honoring that I have to the Black dance aesthetic. It is who I am. Yes, I've gone to grad school and I've learned about Pinabuch and you know, Anna Teresa and so many other postmodern likes. But I'm from the Black Church. I'm from South Central. There's a there's a spirit, there's an element, there's an expression that I never want to leave my movement aesthetic. And you saying that with the dances I've witnessed that I have witnessed the Martha Graham dancers catching spirit in a run, and I'm like you like, yes, like I give, I give way for that. That's a very important element to what I do. And whether it's making work on New York City Ballet, are making work on Alvin Ailey, are making work on complexions, which I have a piece of complexion is coming this fall. That was a little plug. It's I want that spirit to be be able to be accessed there.
Speaker 1: It is, yes, to be able to be accessed.
Speaker 2: And also what I'm excited about too with the Martha Graham for the Danko collaboration. It's going to be accessed in two different ways, and I think, you know, it's not going to be like Martha Graham dancer out there trying to be like the Danko dancers. They're going to access that spirit or activate that spirit in their own way and it will be felt.
Speaker 1: Mm hmm.
Speaker 2: It will be felt, but it won't be the same Holy Ghost.
Speaker 1: And I'm really excited about that different font. Yeah, just I'm so excited at it. It's like, you know, like I love sometimes just for my own like to soothe my soul. I like to watch videos of the Gram Company just doing the Gram Floor, you know, because I personally think the Gram floor is like some of the most gorgeous dance in human history. Like just sit and watch it. It's meditative, but it's like so like precise and just beautiful. I love it. I love it so like, but there's also an ascertain amount of rigidity is the words coming to my mind, But that is not it at all. So I'll say control that you need to perfect and cultivate and excel in being purely a Gram dancer, that you're gonna have to unlearn at least a little bit to be a through access your vocabulary and have it come from a natural place. And that's really really what I'm looking for.
Speaker 2: You know, one thing I would say from working with the gram dancers versus you know, the Danko dancers like Graham dancers are they're in their movement approach. In their movement approach, they're very statuesque. They can like hold the tension in a position. They can in a sense like conjure up a thing through emotion. You know, Danko dancers is firecrackers boom attitude where Gram dancers want to do attitude boom boom, boom boom. Like the texture of it and the speed inside of that is more. It's more ground, it's more heavy, it's more heavy, and Dank's not light like ballet. Dang's not light, but that lightness but can't swiftness. It can be, but it's about it's about a swiftness. It's about it. It's like a like an attitude swiftness. It's like you know, it's a it's a it's a it's a finger snap deal swift. But it's it's it got a little it got a little bite to it, and I don't know why I just did that to be whatever and whoever's listening to this in the year two thousand and thirty eight, Yes, I did do that.
Speaker 1: And I'm glad that I was here for it. The image that came to mind with Dangle when you just said that, it's like, okay, so like a Danko dancer can do like just a little finger gesture, right, But at the same time, it's like, you know that ninety year old kung fu master can like take that one finger and punch a hole in the wall. That's that Danko dancer. You know, that's that power behind just that one little finger. But that one little finger can punch a hole through a wall. Don't get it twisted.
Speaker 2: It's you know, Danko. Danko's a lifestyle, you know. You you get into this company that's like a detour for a second. You get into this company for your talent, for your magic. As Joe Mais Brown would say, I saw the magic and I said boo boom. But then some kind of way you learn how to be a Danko dancer, not from someone just literally telling you what to do with your body in choreography, but it becomes a lifestyle that begins to inform. I always say when you are a woman, when you are a danko female identifying dancer. However, we want to say that now twenty twenty six. If the bus, the tour bus that we're taken to the theater, was it gets stuck in a ditch, all eight of the female identifying dancers on the roster of Philadenko will get off that bus and push that bus out the dish.
Speaker 1: Yep, the dish.
Speaker 2: They would do it. It won't. It won't be you need to help us. It's like, we are here, let's go. And you see that in their bodies when they mean business, they mean business. Hair is in that bun technique on fleet. We may have walked in and had thirty minutes to get everything together to get on that stage, but we are here and we're gonna do it that. So when you gave your yes yes and she comes, don't JB would come in and jab never said get your leg up higher or jump higher. It just would be like impress me. She's She used these metaphors like why do you get a solo? I need to know why you get a solo, and just through her language and her one word or jazzy, she'd like, make me understand why you got a solo. She would always say that, and it'd be a piece that everyone gets.
Speaker 1: Solo right, right right, and it'd be like.
Speaker 2: Well, why why is it your turn to get solo? I need to know? And you'd be like okay, okay, yeah. What she says now like you know you gotta you gotta reach past your fingertips. That's something she repeats a lot to this generation of dancers. You know, you know, show me, show me why you're show me why you're gorgeous. You're gorgeous, show me that. What's something else? Like she it's these lifestyle it's never her and not her. Her notes or theories are ways to get you to do the Danko thing dance wise. It's just sometimes never about something technical like turn your leg out. It's about you living your life a certain way. You you coming out here and embodying life in a certain way, and then that makes you dance like gee, like I said that, And the thing about the women getting off to do that for the bus. But she demands that, he demands that we got to get there everyone get off this bus and it's like, this is what we're doing, and in some kind of way that just informs the movement.
Speaker 1: Like you ain't that cute?
Speaker 2: Come on? If she seems to say she used to say, oh, she used to say, if a choreographer asks you to balance on your ear load, you try for real, period, you just try, give it, give it a go. It can happen. You would say that. You'd be like, huh, it wasn't like let's talk about It's like, no, do it, yeah, figure it out.
Speaker 1: One of my so for a couple of years, and you know this, I was the production manager at the Performance Garage, and through my tenure there, I got to know uh Philadenko a little better and I am very grateful for that. And you know, I have a working relationship. You know, I'm with you know, I tussle with the music for your shows.
Speaker 2: You know.
Speaker 1: But one of the moments that I witnessed that was like this is quintessential Danko culture And no one had to tell me this. I just saw it. It was watching the dancers come in for warm up before dress rehearsal, and you know, you see like the black girls come in and they got their hair wrapped, and then you see the white girls come in and they got their hair rapped. That gave me so much joy. It's like, I know exactly what that is, that this is what we do, This is what.
Speaker 2: What we do. I was gonna say that when my best analogy about the wind, I was really going to say that they're gonna come up that bus with their hair and they still scars.
Speaker 1: Uh huh, because that's what you do. And and you know, like these girls learned it from these girls and they know why they're doing it, and it's not performative. It's just that that's.
Speaker 2: Because it's not about texture, right, It's not about texture. It's about the fact that we don't want that hair to come out right.
Speaker 1: But I can't I can't guarantee that those particular white girls might have ever gotten the opportunity to know to do that had they not been in Danko.
Speaker 2: And you know, anything is I'm about to give you something, about to give you something, some deep history. You know who started that tradition, who you know who that came from? Tell me Kim why bears Bailey not surprised. I can tell stories, to tell stories of how it had to be for her and how that is just the thing she tells, like I had to lay down my hair before I got to the bus, so she would tell you that story in some kind of way. It just gets passed down and it just becomes it becomes the thing. It's interesting when I went with them to New York, I want to say twenty twenty four to help. And it's the first thing she said. We was at the Joys and she was like, I'm looking around and hair and da da da dah, and she just gave her now like her history or how it was. She said, I'm not used to singing girls do they buns thirty minutes before the show. That's just not what we do. And it's like she had to like come back in there and remind of how it is. But it's crazy. You say, oh, that stuff's not crazy, it's just what makes because then that how what that translates to you when you watch them walk in that theater with their buns and they sip scarves on from a rooty to a two D and you saw that show. They were ready, they were ready for coming. And it's and it's the that's the thing about Danko's like, how can I be ready? So I don't gotta get ready to get ready? Hello, And whatever you're throwing at me, I got it. Whether it's a small stage, a big stage, whatever we're doing, orchestra, jazz band, recorded, whatever, we got it. If the skips, we're gonna keep going. We have figured this out and so such deep ways that this is solid because at the end of the day, is this rooted in our aesthetic and who we are. So back to this pieces, that's what we do. They walk in that room, they come from their tours. Everyone's coming from you know, Grammar's in a hundred year anniversary, Danko's in the fifty six, everyone's having exciting shows and Dotty D d D. Then they come for a week of rehearsal together and it's go time. And I have watched the gram dancers visually watch that with Danko, and then in their bodies come like, okay, all right, this is what we're doing.
Speaker 1: It's beautiful. Now, it's beautiful. It's what I was I was sitting here thinking about tradition and it reminds me of this funny story that I heard, and I appreciate this So this she's in her kitchen and she's cooking dinner, and on the back of the stove she has a pot of water. Burner's not on, but she just has a pot of water sitting in the back of the stove. And her daughter goes, Mommy, why do you have that pot of water sitting there? And she goes, well, you know, that's just what we've always done. I learned that from my mother. But I'm not sure while we do that, let me find out. Called her mom, mom, when we cook, why do we put the pot of water in the back of the stove? And Mom goes, well, I mean, that's what I've always done. I learned that from my mom. So she called her grandma, Grandma, when we cook, why do we put the pot of water on the back of the stove? And Grandmam went, well, I don't know why you're doing it. I do it because my stove's uneven and it balances it out. But tradition that you do, you know what we do.
Speaker 2: We fall in line. We are all, you know, within the philadeenko esthetic or the family or the family tree. We we've all been here. There is someone, there is someone in a previous generation that is like, oh, we are the new version of And I absolutely love that. I love that at DANKO you can go to an alumni event and talk to people. And maybe this is awesome because our founder is still here with us, you know, and has dealt with all generations. Even with this younger generation. She may not be the same JB that I experience, she still gives them JB experiences, Okay, but and it's maybe that's something that ties us in that you can be the group that did the first New York trip and I can be the group that did the first European trip, and there's just something that we are just deeply connecting on and a part of a fabric. And that's something I didn't experience, I didn't dream to really experience, and it's been really cool. I came to Danko by accident. I tell everybody that same here by accident, and I stayed here long by accident. But it was the best accident that I think happened for my life.
Speaker 1: What do you mean when you say by accident?
Speaker 2: Well, one, and I think when we previously talked in this we talked about just a general of life. But you know, I wanted to be an AILY two, which at the time, because I'm at a certain age, was called the Alvin Alien Repertory Company, but now it's called ALY two. And I moved back to New York to get into AILY two. The rehearsal director the time just was like, hey, like, this is a thing that could happen for you. Come back to the school. You know, you get ushered in. Simultaneously, Miss Jefferson had other plans for me, and she kicked me out to school. She kicked me out and I had to basically in a couple of hours figure out, well what do I what do I do from here? And some kind of way. It was just known that with Philadelko's having auditions, you should go audition for Philadenko, get on a bus, come late, get to the audition. They was holding the audio. I'm telling the story. All types are wrong, but let's let's slow down. I did, I got I do it? I got I did. I did not get my scholarship back to the Aly School, be because I missed too many gram classes.
Speaker 1: Come on full circle.
Speaker 2: I used to have Graham every day Monday, Wednesday, Friday. I had with Harybayashi Kazako hair Bayashi makes she rest in peace. And Tuesdays and Thursdays I had it with Jacqueline with Glisi in some kind of way. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I just missed Miss Beglici's class. I just for whatever reasons, and it ran the gamut and I ended up leaving the school because my mom couldn't afford for me to stay in New York, which I should have just stayed in New York. So that was definitely my fault. And a couple of months later, this eighty two situations happening, I said, well, I'll come back to the school. Came back to school the audiship for the scholarship, and Miss Jefferson basically was like, you was in concerns instant with classes and you left to go home, So I don't know how serious you are any longer, and I don't want to take a chance you translation, she was like, you're trying to get into Amy two and it ain't gonna come through me. Okay, black you know Black Mamas, you know how it is. It ain't coming through me. If that's what you want, you need to figure out another path. So the plan was go audition for Philadenko because Joemies Brown is friends with Sylvia Waters, but then artistic director of Amy two.
Speaker 1: And you're going.
Speaker 2: Because if Joan liked you and Jones interested in you, didn't let's take a look, you know, wait a minute, don't take one of our students for you, d G D DO and the and the The thought right from the person Nasha Thomas, my homegirl, great men or the thought really was like, you're going to get to the end, and you you would just create a buzz and then that Monday, because you know, in that time with dance, it was all about buzz and your talent. It was never it was always like if you was a dancer to get to the end of a nationally recognized company audition, then you gotta be special. Someone needs to snag you. She said, you'll get to the end. She didn't give it. She did not count me in to get a contract. She was like, you get to the end, and on Monday, I'll bring it up in the meeting and that's going to make Celia be like who but maybe let you know well, because no, Sylvia, how it happens, this is so good. Charles. You would get a scholarship to the school, and then Celia starts to walk around and see you and be like you need or if Sylvia saw you outside the school and thought you would be grateful Aly two, she would say, come to the summer program. I'll get you into Aily two. So the idea was, Okay, Miss Jefferson did not give you a scholarship. But Cela Waters knows who you are. She knows that you are you have the interests of Philadenko. She's going to be like, well, come let me see, because you know I'm looking for the members of my company. So I end up going to this Danko audition and I missed my first bus. And as I'm leaving Port Authority at forty second Street, I see I was twenty.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, this all tracks go ahead.
Speaker 2: I was twenty. I was leaving Port Authority and I was telling my friend, let's go get pancakes.
Speaker 1: I wanted to reach into a time machine and smack it. Just now.
Speaker 2: I said, we missed the bus. I mean when I said we missed the bus, we missed or I missed the bus. He was waiting on me to get there, and I was running because I had to go to Western Union. My Mama sent me money. Then I gotta get the ticket. And this is all before apps. Y'all, there was no apps on your phone that you can just like Transford. It is so convenient now. To do all that, my mom had to wake up. My mom lives and my mom lives in California. She had to get to Western Union. Then I had to wait for Western Union to open at forty second Street. I had to get there, get the money, run support authority, pay for a ticket, find the bus, skate and as I'm getting to the bus gate, that bus is pulling off. I had the money and I said, well, I just want to get you know, let's go get the refund on this ticket and go get some pancakes. So as we walking out, I run into my friend Michael Snipes and he said, he said, where are you going? I said, I was supposed to go. Number one is Michael Snipe. I was like, I'm supposed to go to the dank audition, but I missed the bus, so blah blah blah. He said, oh, my best friend dances there. He was like, you know, I'm always around Danko. He was like, you need to go, You're tall. JB would like you. That's the first thing he said. I said.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: He was like, yeah, you need to go, you need to go. So he calls his friend because he's the only person who's had a cell phone, right, I know, I shown't know, didn't He calls his friend on her land line, she said at the Danko apartments. He said, Hey, have his friend. He needs to come to dank audition, but he's going to be late. You need to tell JB about him. She never met me will and Noel never met me a day in her life. Was like, well is he tall? Is he good? And Michael was like yes and yes. So she goes over. She tells JB, Hey, I have a friend. He missed his bus. Blah blah blah blah. You know, And just because Willa was the prima of the company, jab was like, all right, we'll hold the audition. Oh, she said, we hold the audition. You say he's good? You know? All right? So I arrived in Philly and when I came across that bridge, I knew my life was changing. I said, my life is about to change. And I'm a person I don't like to make drastic changes. It gotta be slow. It gotta be planned out, and just the whole me coming to a city that I've never been and maybe having to move and navigate was just all like what. So I came and I did the audition, and JB was like, all right, well, I want you to come back on Tuesday. Milton Myers is going to be here. It's going to be a callback. She had me and another young young man staying, but it was already said that somebody who we all knew, Mark Spaulding, was getting a contract. So I thought that she was looking for two men, and one of the two men she was looking for was Mark Spalding. So honestly it was between me and this guy. So I'm thinking, I'm thinking, yes, we are accomplishing the plan. I am one of two guys who maybe getting a contract with Philadeenko. So I'm gonna go back to New York and I'm definitely getting to eighty two Bay. That's happening all my way out. As JB was giving me bus money because that's what she did back in the day to come back for Tuesday, she said something to me, I should I don't remember exactly what she said, but she said something to me, and I got back to New York on that Monday, and I told my mentor everything Nasha, and Nasha simply looked at me and said, oh, you're moving to Philadelphia. She said, you're getting a job with Philadenko. And the first thing I said to her I said, that wasn't the plan. He said, yeah, but like that's Philadenko, so right. She was like, hit, it's insane, and I said, well, this is okay, all right. So then I get inside of it. And my teacher from California, Michelle Blossom, saw me dance in Soritos, California with Danko, and I was just like, you know, I'm gonna stay here for two years. Da da da da da, And she stopped me. She said, I want you to understand something. She was like, AILY two was a temporary company. You only get two years in it and you gotta get out. Danko is a forever company. You can stay as long as you keep getting renewed. That's where you need to be more than an Ally two. This is somewhere where you can really sink your teeth in and develop yourself. Not saying that the ELY two thing is not a great opportunity it is fantastic, fantastic, but it is limited and there is which I've experienced for many friends who did it. It's stressful you get to that second year. Are you going to get into the first company? Are you not going to get into the first company? Are you gonna got over here? You're gonna go over here? So it's she was saying to me at the time of my life and where I was physically, so that this gives you a better opportunity to figure some things out technically with your body, your everything. And I just kept figuring it out. And then Charlamirela Maire Williams is another one. Later on down the line. I was at remember Twelfth Street gym, was that Twelfth Street gym and me and Charlimir was talking and I think around our ipr oh, yes, And I was telling him how I was about to start auditioning. And I was always auditioning, honey, I was always looking for the next gig, and I have to be like in year seven a dank god by this moment six or seven, and he said maybe eight, let's go to eight. He said, you know, he was like why, he said, why are you auditioning? Like, let's talk about it. So I was like, I'm looking for I don't know, I'm making up all this kind of stuff. And he said, Tommy, you're building a name here, and a lot of people don't get to do that. He said, people know you as a dancer, he said, Choreographers are not coming to that company wanting to work with you. He said, But then also now you're making work and people are learning about your work, and you know, And one thing I will say about Philadelphia, it supports artists. It has a lot of opportunities to make work, to get funded, to make to make a splash on the ether. Fungings a little if you know, but just to make to make a splash on the ether. You make a work in Philadelphia, it can get to New York some kind of way. I have friends in the Midwest. They make work, and it's like they don't get the opportunities for the work to be seen in this same type of gravatose that we can do. I can invite even I can invite twelve people from New York to come and see your work in Philadelphia, Versus they're not going to get on the plane and maybe go see something in the Midwest. So easily right. But they'll get on the bus, they'll get on the train, or they just might be near it. It's just how it all just like coming to me. You talk about twenty ten ib D. I got a huge opportunity from that ib D with Danny g at summer stage. You came to ib D, she saw my piece, she was like, whoa, And that just started this whole conversation. So I think when Charlamare did that, I was like, I just I heard him. I paused, I said, Okay, okay, what's more important now? Right? Is it more important to be starting to build the after or do you want to just you know. I think if I would have left Philadelko around my fifth and sixth season and went somewhere else, I think the way that I had dreamed of that is, I think I would have to have start fresh. It would have been redirected, but some kind of way me staying and then getting associated with Eleon that led to getting associated with the University Arts. That led to get associated with Dona fe Birchville and let him get associated with you know, everyone else in Philadelphia. It just really gets way to really helping me to find who exactly I am right now, and in the way that I think I do it, I always question, like I said, what would have happened if I left year six? What would be my influence right? What will be what would be my platform? What would be I would I have found some of those Tommy trademark moves that people talk about. Would I have, like, you know, really explored Kanye West the way I used to explore Kanye West like some pretty I remember, I wanted to get opportunities. You was a.
Speaker 3: I'm laughing because I'm having a huge like flashback of you, like bopping to the music from the soundboard at the Painted Bride.
Speaker 2: But just like, I don't know, some of those things would have happened, and I'm so grateful and that needed to happen that way. But even like how now with the university arts close and me just really being a part of this city, I think that was important, you know, to help me stay grounded. But all by accident. I was supposed to be here for two years. I left the company after three years, moved back to California, did an interview with Dan Spirit and talked about Dankos so much. The woman said, yes, that's exactly. She said, why are you? Then I came on back. Then I left another time to go do Complexions. And that's around two thousand and eight, and remember the recession hit and Obama got on the whole and said, you know, we have a recession and the arts funding was changing. And I joined Complexions and on my first day desmat Richardson said we don't have the funds for your position next season, but you know, have fun. You're here with us now. And never said a word to John Mies Brown about it. Never. She just knew I was in New York and I was working Complexions some kind of way. She needed me to come back to do the Joys. And she called me on my last day of work with Complexions and said, can you do the Joys? And I said, I sure can. I'll come to rehearsal this weekend. Came to rehearsal and she just her John yes Brown Way was like, so what's going on? And I said, girl, And I told her what was happening with Complexions, and she said, well, you know, while you're in transition, just stick around. So I did the Joys. I did the other summer summer bookings. Then I got a job at Radio City Christmas Spectacular.
Speaker 1: And really I did it right.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, And this is where that's where it got really interesting. I left to do that, and she basically held a spot for me and a job with az All a Piece because when Tommy comes back, he's going to be in that spot. And I was going to use my money to go start living my next life. But she said, no, no, you're gonna save that money and you're gonna put on the show when you get back, and just we just kept going. I came back and.
Speaker 1: After a while, I just you just like had this fear of like putting down roots.
Speaker 2: You know this was not the plan when I say it was always the plan, because I had a moment. In recent years, I can tell you I have Ken Wiber's Bailey Dance magazine cover. I remember reading that magazine. I remember, I remember the picture she had on the cover. I remember reading a review that Danko when they did Donald Bird's Bad and George Face Out and Sweet Otis. I remember reading that review. I remember reading all types of things that had like Joe Maris Brown's naming it. When I was dancing with Lulu Washington at my first I a B D. Everybody in the van from Lulu Washington was like, there goes Joe Mays Brown and I simply looked her a way and I was like, oh, yeah, that's her. Oh yeah, I've seen her before. Great. I remember seeing Danko at the New Victory Theater in New York and seeing JB outside with her famous coach tote bag or a tope bag of her sort, you know. I remember it's like I have these like so when you say that, it's like, yeah, like I feel like the roots and being around was really always being shown to me. But I was always just saying I got another plan and I'm.
Speaker 1: Only thing with are you a leo?
Speaker 2: I have a leo?
Speaker 1: Rising Okay that I mean this may and I haven't even do with it. But it's like it's that thing where like you can know the thing to do, you can know that it's the thing to do, but if it's it has to be your idea. Otherwise why are you talking to me while we're here?
Speaker 2: And I guess it's so unexpected. My first time as a member with Danko, they performed at Lincoln Center outdoors, and I remember that was the first time I really stopped and was like, I'm in Philadenka, like this, this is actually quite a really major situation. Before then, I was so like I was supposed to be in eighty two and I'm here. Oh, and I'm not even dancing. I'm carrying costumes. I sat in that audience and they did a Milton Myers piece Canisius, they did Ronald K. Brown's Gatekeepers. They just Sweet Oldest by George Fraisal, and they ended with Enemy behind the Gates by Christopher L. Huggins with no intermission, And the way that entire amphitheater of folks was just as you said earlier, yelling and screaming and saying work. And I was watching these people that I'm in the studio with every day transform and extend, and I was like, I'm one of them. I went backstage and I got that suitcase and I said, let's get on the bus and go home, y'all, like this is where it's at. I was like, oh, okay. And to think back, like my career at Danko was so so great, Like when I had to retire, I was just like, I've done a lot of great dancing and worked with a lot of great people. But it was just something that I just for a moment didn't want to sink my teeth in and really see, you know. And it was about it's like I was saying earlier about now it's just about making dances. It was about I just wanted to be in New York. I just wanted to be in the New York. I just wanted to dance in the company that you could wear shorts. I just wanted I just wanted to like walk, you know. I just wanted to live like a lifestyle. It was never like I had. Because my best friend dance Curve and dance with Alvin Ailing and when they got sweet Otis and he was doing the Tripper Perel web person and sweet ODIs, and by that moment in my career, I was like, well, I've already done the funny Couple. And I was in his kitchen teaching him stuff before the audition that he had to do to get cast it, and I'm like, well, this is these are the steps are when he did a Ronald K. Brown piece, and I was looking at the video and I said, oh, well, those were those were some movements he was workshopping on us that summer. He came, I was like, so I was like, this is we're all We're all here, We're all here, It's all attainable. But before that, y'all was I just wanted to be there. I just wanted to have a lifestyle of dance that I used to watch as a student. The a Leen dancers used to come down and then in their drag and just be inthereo when you saw them walking down the street with their big sunglasses and their big dance bags, and you just you just want to have that life and go see a show at night. But how was that Danko working with Alianza King at the age of twenty one? That was a life like like, if I can tell myself, I'm like, girlt up.
Speaker 1: So two things. Thing number one that work with the enemy behind the gates? Is that what it is called? I think that piece I only saw it once, but that piece, I think is really what clued me in to what being a Danko dancer is. Yes, because I remember like what moked to me like there was a moment where like it looked at me like this five foot two woman ran and jumped and landed on the shoulders of this like eight foot tall man, and I was like, yeah, I'm like, okay, yes, I get it. I get it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: That's the one thing too. I think the overall takeaway from this entire conversation is we have to take a moment and appreciate where we are. Live in the moment that you are currently occupying, because otherwise you you won't get the appreciation of being there as much if you are constantly looking outside of the moment, looking ahead. It's like, you know, you can't live in the past because you're not there anymore. You can't live in the future because you there yet where are you?
Speaker 2: You're here now?
Speaker 1: And that is something that and you know, I'm saying this to myself too, but you know that's that's an important message to a lot of younger people. You know, we're so fixated on you now next.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and we don't we don't remember. And I think I learned this through teaching. You don't sometimes remember what you've learned and bring it with you. And I watched that with younger people. And I've been guilty of that, you know, with my own works as a choreographer, Like I've gotten into certain processes where I just forget that I actually learned how to solve this equation, right, and if you honestly just look in your bag and pull out some tools, boom, you know, like I asked myself, like why did you do that? Like you know you knew better not to do that, all right, to use that song or to cut, just to cut from there. So that's why I want to say, you forget as you're looking in the present to look back and be reflective. Don't don't be nostalgic all the time. Be reflective and say, Okay, I'm making the work. Doesn't need to be this long. You learned this before that you made it work that was kind of long, too long, so you have the tools down to cut it. That's number one I want to say about that, and number two about Enemy. How how can you only see that piece one time? That's why I reacted the way I did, Like what do you mean one time? One time? Like I know we did that be a lot more.
Speaker 1: Than one time you did.
Speaker 2: But I joined Enemy. I joined phild Anko July two thousand and two, and they just premiered it at the Joys in May two thousand and two, and it was on your REP tape because we had VHS's right, right right, because on my REP tape or my REP DVD, one of those and I when I say, I them, mofos do enemy for the entire summer of two thousand and two, and I was like, I am in this company and it simply you hit it on is now It's simply is quintessential Philadeenko. It's about the physicality. It's about the fierceness. It's about the individuality. It's about group cohesive, it's about fearlessness. It's about rock solid No if as are what technique? What is happening? Like the triples happening? I learned that from Chearana Mirr Williams. He said he was talking to his company before a performance. He said, there will be no if ens or what I said, what he said, He looked at them, he said there will be no ifs or what And I have taken that. That is, but that is Philadelphia. When Philly I was teaching, I wasn't teaching in recent years, not recent years. Why I say like that recent months, Like it's like, what are you saying? Months? String theory, string theory, magnet school. They went to high school dance festival and Tracy Vault, who's the rehearsal director of Great friend of mine, was like, I want you know, I need them to do it. Tell me why he piece And I said, okay, you know have this piece. I did a piece on some kids, like long long time ago. So she took it. But she's like, you need to come. They need to like you know, you need to come and coach them. Get to the point. Tommy. I walked in that room. They are dancing, I'm giving notes. I went into this speech. I said, the one thing I learned about Philadelphia is the Philadelphia pride. When you step into a new arena, Philadelphians would be like, it's like we're and we're stepping in, We're stepping in, we're coming in, We're coming in hot. It's like the pride of that. It's like you're actually saying it, Like I have experienced that at philadekos So when Sean Lemir did that to his dances, I was like, oh yeah. Maybe he used to say stuff like I don't care if you gotta do your refa or whatever you gotta do, but tomorrow we are dancing like you better. It's like it's just there is no other option that is Philly. That is like, there is no other way but to elevate, and this is what we're doing. And I try to get into those kids and these kids looking at me and new kids got to Virginia and Tracy sent me the video. She said they had so much pride to me. And I said, because that's what Philadelphia's taught me, to have pride about what we have here and who we are and in the ways that we do it, you know. And I think that's something I hear Jomies Brown stressing a lot now in her in her years. It is just like remembering the importance of that thing. There's a Philadelphia way of moving This a heritage as a Lenias, just a legacy that is so powerful that yes, as we are moving on with life, She's like, but don't forget that, like really see that and bring that along for the ride. And I have to say I agree with her.
Speaker 1: It's very true. And it's like I lived in Philadelphia my entire life up until six years ago, and I've been in Jersey ever since. And it's like, I know, I bring Philly with me because like I'll say things a certain way, or I'll approach things a certain way, you said John earlier.
Speaker 2: I want your listeners to know that saw said John, and I didn't react, but I reacted.
Speaker 1: It's just the thing, and it cracks me up that white people in Philadelphia. I think that they invented that ten fifteen years ago. I was saying John in the sixth grade police child. Anyway, I digress. But yeah, it's like, I know, I bring my Philly with me wherever I go. Like, but don't let someone come out their mouth the wrong way.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry, what especially especially the women in Philly. It is they are they Philly women, Philly, especially Philly black women. They are it is excuse me, run that back. I'm standing up. We're having words about it.
Speaker 1: It's not that I didn't hear what you said. I'm giving you a chance to correct what you said.
Speaker 2: And I ain't calling nobody in here to help. I ain't calling now.
Speaker 1: Nope, you know we're here.
Speaker 2: We're gonna figure it out. Like I there's a lot about that that that that that that that grit in that bite that I know has made its influence into who I am and into my movement that I think Philadelphia Black dance is regal and a certain type of sophistication, but it can just get real guttor real gutter. But you're gonna have that bun on that French twist, and it's not gonna get Wold and Benjie. It's gonna get like there. And it's rooted in ballet. You know, when we really look at the lineage of like Dolores Brown and Jomies Brown, Sidney King, Mary and Suje, there is a there's a deep root of ballet in the line and the form. And I think what JB did with it for philadelko esthetic in so she always says she wanted to start a ballet company off the bat, that's what she thought she should do. But in the same year, around that time dth was starting, so she, being a terrific business moment, just knew that like, okay, well that's not gonna work with them being so close and like that they have that thing, so what else can we do? And she she's made an aesthetic of a thing. But at his root, everybody in this company at Philadeenka must be able to create a shape right and have line informing you can look like a football player from the Green Bay Packers or you can look like you know Missy Copeland from a ballet school, but when you put them alongside each other, they need to both hit air bes Yep. Can you do it great?
Speaker 1: Yep?
Speaker 2: And when she and when she jumps to you, you need to catch her. You need to fling her up. My first month in this company, she said, Man, if you got to go to extra body classes, you need to go. She says, because these women they will run to you, jump all on your neck, wibble down your back, and then say like a blur away and outdance you in the cold when and I need you to try to keep up with.
Speaker 1: Them literally, and you won't know what happened.
Speaker 2: You won't know will and Noel did that to me my first season. I did a trio with that woman and we got on stage and I said, this is not what you've done on This is not what you did in the studio, this is not this is not what you was wait, hold on, hold on, and she started to dance. She outdanced me that day. I said, okay, you won the batle on that one.
Speaker 1: Why how did I end up facing the other way? What just happened?
Speaker 2: What just happened? All I know is as we said five six seven A and you really win, you really now you you took all the notes, you said, Okay, got it. But I love well, I love that about dance. I love that. I love that.
Speaker 1: I love that I do too. So okay, tell us when and where the performance will be taking place. Where your work that was commissioned for the Martha Graham Dance Company will be will be ocurrect.
Speaker 2: The work will be at pen Life Arts May twenty ninth and thirtieth in the Edinburgh Theater. I think it's a seven thirty curtain on Friday, two o'clock curtain on Saturdays, seven thirty curtain on Saturday night. It is a two hundred and fifty and two hundred and fifty anniversary of America, but it's the commission is being supported by Art Philly, who has a festival around Philadelphia for four weeks in May and June to celebrate the celebration of the two hundred and fiftieth year of the Decoration of Independence, and they are commissioning this piece on Philadenko and Martha Graham inside of the Martha Graham presentation at pen Live Arts. The work is entitled in Case the fires speak. It is in conversation to Martha Graham's American Document, a work that she created that centralizes the question of what does it mean to be an American? I have a wonderful dramater and Gordon who has helped me do some research inside of the gram archive. And one of the coolest things about American Document is there is no video recording of the complete piece. Oh, there's just small video recordings. There's reviews, there's pictures. There is a sheet music of the opening section score, and that is it. And everything that I've done with the piece and my reflection is taking small nuggets to then dript off into a new thought. Like I don't think I'm trying to recreate anything within her work, but I'm interested in saying, well, this is the sheet music that you have for a section, Let's have a piano player play it, and then my sound designer is going to, you know, take it and run to another thought with it. So within my work, it starts with her original composition, but it moves into Erka Bado, It moves into Kendrick Lamar and moves into Rochelle for Real, and moves into Nina Simone and move and moves into Julius Eastman. And this is all sound designed by my incredible sound designer, Uazi Zamani, who is making ways in this dance world himself. He's actually getting his doctorate degree from Temple University to you. And I have wonderful costumes by Anna Elise, who's a long time collaborator with me, who's done a lot of costumes for my works for Philadenko. I have some amazing dancers from both companies, Philadanka and Martha Graham. And we are just going to be living on that pen live art stage next Friday and Saturday, and we move on to the next and we let the work live and breathe, and we we are not trying to tell a narrative per se, but it is a conversation, and I felt that it was important to have that conversation as honest and as honest as possible, especially during the times that we're living in, right. You know, we started this piece last June twenty twenty five in the summer, and you know, Trump was just really getting things gone with Ice and I had a lot of conversations about immigration, a lot of conversations about what if you know, what else would change in war and the sense of feeling like this land, who is this land made for? Is this land made for me or for you? Or and what is that sense of feeling of wanting to belong or do you need to belong? I know I spoke a lot about in the work. I have a particular dancer who lifts up a central black female character, and we talk a lot about, like, you know, there's a lot of conversations on how like, you know, democracy is always saved by black women, but we never really lift them up, so we talk about that. I also have this thing I'm loving. It feels a bit like love Craft love Craft Country are sinners kind of like horrific cinematicness inside of the staging.
Speaker 1: Which is on brand for you, which I did, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Some you know, my dramat told me. He was like, he was just like, did you watch love Crap Country?
Speaker 1: And I was like, no, you didn't.
Speaker 2: He's like this, I did not. I don't. I don't like blood Yall's m I don't like blood and they like blood and gariness.
Speaker 1: Fair and there is definitely there is definitely that as part of the series. However, the intellectual in you the black intellectual and you specifically would really appreciate.
Speaker 2: It's how you say that, and I see that, and I've read so many articles about it. It's like, Okay, Lovecraft Country centers and this is not really on brand, but on brand orange is the new Black. I have done so many deep dives about the things, but I never could just say, Okay, let's watch it. I watched Those Who See Us that summer it came out, and that was really that was just really hard. Yeah, things like that stay with me. I process it. I think about people who I may know who live through that time or live through a type a certain type of situation, and it just becomes kind of like HD three D with me. So it takes me a thing. But I am going to try to watch Lovecraft Country because everyone says how brilliant.
Speaker 1: It really really is, and and there's someone took the time two put together a syllabus for the show I have. I have it in a Google drive. I'm gonna go look for it because I've been meaning to revisit it. And it's like all the poetry and artwork and novels, and it's all the different references in the polls and they just compiled it and they broke it up to like this corresponds to this episode. You have to send that it's really yan tough and you would appreciate it. It does get a little bloody and gory in space, as it just does, but it's I've never seen anything like it before since.
Speaker 2: But back to the work, when you say that too, makes me say, like, you know, that is important for me to share. Like the work I didn't want. I do not want the work to be pretty right, and the work is not nasty, but the work is to have a certain type of intensity and complexity and the ankst and an aggression, and that is something too I wanted to lean more into because you know, we're in collaboration with Martha Graham and you know she that dramaticism that they can just project in their bodies and in space. You know, it's just something that I really wanted to play with.
Speaker 1: And do you have does the company have a lot of black dancers at this point or any so?
Speaker 2: I am using their their African American female Meghan King. And last thing I want to say, how I had to cast them because they've been on they were on tour and I was busy. There was never a moment where I could go into the Graham studio and like do like an audition right right, And how how I was brought in for the project, It was like, well, we need to know who he wants to use because the first residency we had, the four gram Dances had to come to Philly, so they needed to know at a very crunch time. So I had to do research online and who they had. But luckily the day I went to New York at the very beginning to do to start research do the archives, they were in a rehearsal and Megan King is one of the African American women is someone I had been watching from the distance. She was in Alien two, she went to the Alien Fordham Program, and you know, she just would be in the blogs and articles and interviews and you know, she was just one of their top students. So I was really following her. But I never saw her dance. And I went to this rehearsal and they she had I want to say, like a two minute cameo at best, I think it was smaller than that. And this half forgot on this floor and wore it out. And I looked at Janet, I said, I don't know who I'm casting. I said, but she gotta be here. You gotta be his, So I have her Jaw. I think John's. I can't think of John's last name. I don't want to mess it up. Jah is Dominican Dominican Republic. And then I have Antonio Antonio's Italian and Antonio. I saw Antonio dance eventually, but I originally was trying to use I think you remember him Richard, who used to be in that Richard's. I can't think. I don't know no one's last name right now. Don't let me. I knew Richard, and I said I want to use Richard in some kind of way. Richard got injured, and Janet emailed me. She said, well, you came to a performance and I think you saw Antonio. I think Antonio would be really great for the project. And I said, sure, I'll trust your opinion, and Antonio is amazing. And then last, but not least, I'm using Zachary who's in Graham. And I chose Zachary because Zachary trained with my friend Alicia Graff at Juilliard and I was like, I was like, you know, you you've had some contemporary I know if you was in that regime, we can do this. And when I tell you, Charles, it's been a match made in heaven. I would not suggest any choreographer to cast a work in that fast, but I just believe that it was just destiny, and I'm just trying to walk into the destiny of the work. And they've been with me, They've been you know, they are an AGMA company, they have a lot of union rules. They are the oldest American modern dance company, and they have been around the world and back this year. But when I tell you, they are some of the most humble people that I have worked with, so giving, so generous, so with the themes, and I feel that they have made lifelong bonds with the Danko dancers, and all nine dancers are in the room. They just they feel like one company, one band of groups. And I'm not saying that to just say it. It's really honest, and I really want people to know that I don't say things like this. I'm not really the cheesy girl it's like.
Speaker 1: But I believe that because it's a unique experience that no one else but those individuals, those nine individuals will have. I love that. I love that, And I asked about if they had any black dances, only because with a company like Martha Graham, you know, you're the dancers are going to be from literally anywhere in the world, everywhere, and so it's like at the moment that you're there, the grouping could be who knows. So I was just curious, that's.
Speaker 2: All, you know. You know, Mary Mary Hinkston, who is a Philadelphia, a Philadelphia native, makes she rest in peace and she danes Martha Graham, she was African American and she's one of their like long like prima legendary dances. But I was recently watching the documentary that Martha Graham Dank Company has on PBA, and you know, they spoke very freely that Martha has always been very integrated. You know, year ago Mary Hingston Peter London during the time of Hitler a lot of Jewish dancers with her company, and she got invited to the Berlin Olympics and she turned it down. And like right now, I looking at their roster, they are a really eclectic, diverse bunch of you know, a group of people.
Speaker 1: But you know, been.
Speaker 2: Right, Yes, I totally agree. I do enjoy going into spaces that though we're built for white people and finding the people of color and bringing them along for the ride. That's just something, you know. I don't try to do it as a political statement. I just really I've been in productions in schools where you know, I was the minority and I'm there for a special thing, and I'm special and I'm gifted, but I felt a little unseen, right So, you know, I do. If I'm working with the Valley Company and there's a black woman, I want to I want her in the room, you know, I want I want to attempt the best to put to put her in the room with me. Let's get this going. And I knew with American document Martha was coming from her lands of her America. And the first thing I said to Tanya was, who's the curator for our Philly? I said, well, you know, I'm a black queer male from South central Los Angeles now living in West Philadelphia. My my vision of America is totally different, My experience in America is totally different. And I knew I wanted people in the room who could speak to that, right, you know. So it's not about a segregation, but it's about, you know, us having a full scope of opinions and thoughts, so you know, we have all the races in the room. And it was also important because just to give you more context, the pieces being commissioned by our Philly but now both individual companies will have individual rights to the work. It was important for me to make a work that can live in the repertory repertories of both companies individually. So if Janet wants to take the piece for just Graham, that eight Grams can do the work and the same thing can happen for Philadenko. It's not yes, the the Brava, the Genesi, all the extra seasoning as the mean. The mean would show you is the fact that these two companies come together. But I wanted to make a work that can live individually. So it was important that I have all the bodies, all the different opinions, and all the different scenarios and races I didn't want to say race, but in the room to really make this work.
Speaker 1: And now more than ever that this is a wonderful conversation to be having for the great like the Graham Company and Danko. But I'm thinking like the Graham Company like you have all these different people coming from all around the world, including the United States, and I'm sure there's folks that are here on visas. So that's another conversation that, Yeah, it's this is this is a moment man. And also also I just had a flash forward when you said both companies have the rights to the work. I just picture you're going, yeah, so I gotta be in Philly this weekend to work with Thankle, and then I gotta go to Meeka Notes to clean up my piece on on Gram and then.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was an interesting It was so like the negotiation. The negotiation was so like what does that look like? You know, for more context, you get you get commissioned as a choreographer. Most contracts are the company has to work for three years, and two of the years is exclusive and the last year it is non exclusive. So that means if Charles has a company and you commission me Charles Dance Theater for two years, the piece you have by me, no one else can perform is yours, right, and then in that third year, if Ballet Black company over here us to buy my piece, then they can buy it and then they can do it simultaneously. And it was it was like, it was like what does this look like? How? How? How is this negotiated? And when that was being done, that's now that was exciting. I was like, that's exciting. I said, we can, we can, we can, you can coordinate that if y'all want to do it here and they want to do it there, and then y'all want me somewhere somewhere else to do it somewhere. That is so cool like that that that stuff like that is where I kind of squealed.
Speaker 1: That's beautiful. You know that is so beautiful. I'm so proud of you. I'm so excited. I can't wait to Martha and I are going to go see this show and we are going You're going to probably hear me in the audience. Yes, yes, yes, I'm that person. Obviously. I could sit and talk with you all day. This was this was a key.
Speaker 2: I needed this.
Speaker 1: I needed this, this conversation.
Speaker 2: I needed this too because I needed to be reminded of why being in Philly is so important to me and my work. I need I needed to I needed to be reminded of that.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I could help tell me why Heed Evans it has been an extreme pleasure having you here with us at the Full Circle table. And I know this ain't the last time we're going to sit in chat.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, we got to do this more more.
Speaker 1: I agree, I agree, and we will. But I want to thank you so much for for for sharing your time and energy with us today.
Speaker 2: Thank you, thank you, thank you so much. You have a wonderful day, sir, you too.
Speaker 4: Dig Full Circle is a Never Scured Productions podcast hosted by Charles Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal, Produced and edited by Never Scurred Executive Produced by Charles.
Speaker 1: Tyson Junior and Martha Madrigal. Our theme in music is by the jingle Berries. All names, pictures, music, audio, and video clips are registered trademarks and or copyrights of their respective copyright holders.