Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Game Bess Mornings, presented by Deeku Deals with Me Jeff Grubb, your host from Giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about a ton of news about upcoming video game hardware. Time to start talking about the next gen and the next Ratchet and Clank game gets announced. Really, it's gonna be a good one. Hold your horses there, Bud. It's gonna be a good one because we have Janet Shoe on the show. Jan how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I was really excited and then you tempered my expectations.
Speaker 1: Let's temper them expectations just to tad, just to touch. We'll talk about that very soon. But yeah, it's a big news day plenty to catch up on. You did get a chance to go out to Seattle and see some stuff.
Speaker 3: How was that trip?
Speaker 2: Yes, it was a little bit. Uh I felt a little bit loopy because this was maybe a day or two after I got home from the Bombit thon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was NonStop, and then.
Speaker 2: Uh, Valve was like, hey, come on over y'all. And you know, when Valve comes calling, you don't say no. You if they if Gabe sends you the you up text, you get in the car and go. And also uh, Dan and I we put out a combination of a video checking out the new Steam frame, Steam machine, steam Controller, as well as like ever a little bit of a teensy travelogue it sprinkled in there. I always enjoy going to Valve because the people that work there seem very enthusiastic to work. They're they're happy, and also you know what grub when you were talking to someone that is so incredibly passionate about like the work that they get to do, that it feels infectious that even if you if some of like the more technical hardcore details are like going over your head, you're like, I'm glad y'all made that work. That is cool. Hell yeah, And it's just like genuine warmth and smile. And I feel that every single time I've gone the chance to visit Valve for you know, the original steam deck, the old and now all these three things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's uh, you know, their flat structure over there, people only work on stuff that they want to work on, and the fact that like they work that way and then they end up doing all this very amazing stuff. Well there's only one way this happens.
Speaker 3: It's because they all.
Speaker 1: Really want to be doing this, and that's encouraging and exciting, and you know that hopefully that passion will carry over now that it's it seems to be really well received. So okay, I think we're setting ourselves up for a nice future of cool hardware and maybe more importantly, in my eyes, a lot of like awesome software improvements that will set up gaming in a way that'll be safe from the effects of Windows and all these other things that you know, are a little bit shaky right now.
Speaker 2: And you know, we'll get into it as we talk about the Steam stuff further grub. But I also am deeply appreciative Evalve even having us on their radar and inviting us out multiple times, Like you know, we're, all things considered, we're a very small team, and our pocket of the internet as as fun and as great as it is, Like I understand that we're not hitting the same numbers as like all these other gaming outlets and everything, but I do appreciate that they're they will constantly invite Dan and I back, and like, oh, those two that keep filming in the park across the street, yeah, okay, okay.
Speaker 3: Uh huh they love it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, it's they know our crew, they know our audience, and uh there you know. I always appreciate it. Pretty friendly with Valve and that's nice. All right, Well let's get into it.
Speaker 3: Thanks.
Speaker 1: I want to talk about the hardware and everything. Before we get into things, though, let's explain ourselves. For Giant Bomb video game defaces independent games media, but your support enables us to continue to be independent going in the future. You can make that happen by going to giant bomb dot com slash join.
Speaker 3: Become a premium member.
Speaker 1: Gets you, you know, ad free versions of the shows, gets you some extra goodies. But what it gets you is the satisfaction and the confidence that this was that your f will support us going forward, and that we can continue to do very cool stuff like Bambathon, like SGEFF, like the game awards, like our Game of the Year discussions in person, stuff like that. So shouts out to y'all and thank you for everyone who's come through and supported us by going to giant bomb dot com slash join. As far as this show goes, most weekdays, I Jeff Grubb will help piece your gaming life back together that includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on twitch, welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Warnings, or find the RSS feed on GiantBomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Hello YouTube.
Speaker 1: All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the morning mess with Valve reveals a new hardware lineup, a controller, compact gaming PC, and vrready headset. We're going to grab this from Darren Bontius at game Spot. We'll be pulling from here and there as well. Valve has announced three new Steam hardware products, which we'll all be shipping out in early twenty twenty six. Next year, we'll see the launch of a new Steam Controller, a Steam Machine for PC gaming, and the Steam Frame VR headset, with specific launch timing and pricing to be shared after the first of the year. We will have a conversation about pricing here at the end of all this Steam Controller. The Steam Controller is inspired by Valves steam Deck mobile gaming PC and it includes all the inputs required to.
Speaker 3: Play a modern game.
Speaker 1: Valve says this controller is equipped with next generation precision magnetic thumbsticks. It's actually this has improved over hal effects sensors. They're using TMR, which I think is tunneling magneto resistance. The thing is like, so the traditional thumbsticks will wear down everyone else about drift. Hall effect fixes that right. Hallfac centers can last forever. There are some very subtle, very minor efficiencies with Hall effect where it's like when they're made, they have to be so precise with placing the magnet in there.
Speaker 3: Essentially, what is a magnet that.
Speaker 1: If it's off by a few micrometers, it could constantly be having its own inputs. So what they do to address that jan is they have a larger dead zone in there. It's not that much larger. It's about the size of a normal dead zone. It's not that much of a problem. TMR doesn't have that issue, and it also enables them to have an even smaller dead zone so you can have more instant feedback. There's some other improvements, like the input is a little bit more linear, so it works a little bit more like you're expecting, although again it's not like hal effic sensors are a problem, it's just slightly better than that. It's impressive that they're immediately going to this though, because this is as far as gaming applications are concerned, this is a pretty new tech. This is the kind of thing that you would find these sensors in military planes for like, how like the fin or you know the ailerons are are set, Like, okay, we need to need to know the exact degree of how that's set. Well, TMR sensors were used in there, and now it's just starting to come into game controllers, full size controls, track pads, gyros and grip buttons, and it's compatible with PC, Steam deck, steam machines and the Steam frame. It also it's got like its own little charging puck. Right, Jan, you got the chance to use this thing, see it? What were your feelings about it?
Speaker 2: I was initially a little skeptical grub over the form factor of the controls because it didn't look the most ergonomically sound because it is a tall controller. Dan likened it to the Dreamcast, but upon using it, actually having it in my hands feels really good. It feels very comfortable ergonomically. I could see myself using it for an extended period of time, and as we showed off in the video grub, just like the Steam Deck, it has all of the different options to build out different control schemes. I think one of the most impressive things was the capacitive touch that is built into the controller.
Speaker 1: So the sticks and the grips right, it is like its okay, yeah.
Speaker 2: So it will not only see it when it is in when you're holding the sticks, but also if with your other fingers, if you're gripping the controller in certain control schemes, that will activate the gyro in it, and then you could use it as like a we mote or a mouse, and combined with the Steam machine, I could see that really opening the door for maybe like point click games. Perhaps you're playing it in like an old monkey Island or something on a living room. But overall, the haptics and the rumble in it, they were also very proud of. And I'm not normally someone that has haptics on or I generally turned vibration off because my hands are stupid, but this felt very impressive. It felt almost like using a dual sense controller, and you know, the rumble aspect is going to be up to each developer, but it is nice now for PC gamers to have that option of very good feedback when it comes to rumble. Also, it was initially a little bit thrown off because I think I've gone so used to the Xbox format of the analog sticks layout analx sticks lay out. But I think the kind of PlayStation orthodox analog stick layout works well with the touch pads, and I think the touch pads are in a very good space. They are underneath the analog sticks and it feels fairly natural to shift your thumb over.
Speaker 1: All right, Jim, we a little tech issue, but we're back, I'll say. Just before we get off the Steam controller, Valve said it has support for up to thirty five hours of battery life, which is I love to hear that that it's got a rechargeable with them ion battery. You mentioned the gyros and using the touch to sort of activate that.
Speaker 3: It's like, oh, there's some.
Speaker 1: Clever ideas there where it's like you can put your thumb on the sticks to sort of say, hey, I want to be using gyro right now, or you could even like have it where it's like it's always on, and then if you want to like recenterate, you could just like loosen the grips and then center it again, regrab the grips and be like okay, now I'm good to go, and it's like oh, that can just become second nature very quickly for people who play a lot of games that way.
Speaker 2: Yes, my first application I'm thinking of is I know a lot of folks will use the gyro aiming in a game like Splatoon and then they get real tricky with it. So I can only imagine that application when you unleash the gyro aiming SI goos out into something perhaps like I don't know, csgo perhaps or other FPSs that are out there that you can play through Steam. I think the one thing we didn't get the chance to talk about yet though, grub is a little puck attachment that they acts like as a dongle, So you can just plug that into the Steam machine or whatever PC you have and then that'll just help pair the controller. Also, you know what grub I think, I like puck style things where you can just crook and attach it and everything and then it just you could rip it off, but you can just easily pry it off. It's a little bit of like a magnetic connection there. Steam. I think they like magnets.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's cool technology. And then that radio that is inside the puck is also just built right into the Steam Machine, so it's going to have native connection to its own controller. Let's talk about the Steam Machine. Let's continue here with the description from Darren bamf Use. If you're looking to bring your PC gaming to your TV, the Steam Machine looks like it'll be a compact solution. This roughly six inch cube runs Steam OS and it's made to work with the Steam controller, and.
Speaker 3: Valve says that it also supports other accessories.
Speaker 1: So that it can offer versatile PC gaming experiences. And it has it's open it has USB ports, it's gonna have Bluetooth. You can connect whatever you want to it as a controller. This will be available in five hundred and twelve gigabytes and two terabyte models with room for a micro SD card to expand storage. And internally, these have an AMD zen four six core twelve thread CPU, a semi custom AMD GPU that people are saying is about equivalent to like a forty sixty or maybe a seventy seventy I can't remember. It was seven to seventy whatever. The AMD equivalent is maybe one step up. And then it has sixteen gigabytes of DDR five RAM, although apparently only eight gigabytes of that is VRAM. Valve says that the unit supports four K gaming at sixty frames per second by using AMD FSR four. That can that it handles ray tracing stuff a little bit better. Okay, of six inches, that's like, you know, I'm imagining something that's like kind of the size of a GameCube. Is it about the size of a GameCube?
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent. For folks out there, they're looking for a frame of reference. If you have like a square or a cube tissue box, it is the same size as one of those. Or if you have a game cube in your life, it is exactly like one of those. I think when they pulled it out grub, I was so excited because, say to the video, but the thing that I detest the most about modern generation consoles is how ugo they are and how unimaginative. Unimaginative but who knew pulling out a heavy not heavy, but like a cube that I can play my whole Steam library on would excite me that much. The engineers that we were chatting with they also mentioned that the micro SD card that you have in your Steam deck, if you wind up putting most of your games on there, you can pop that out and pop that straight into the Steam machine and it will work completely fine. It should carry over mostly everything, which is very impressive. The thing that they love to do when I've gone over there at Valve is they love showing the other applications you can use their things for. So they also showed it off in a desktop mode and it ran perfectly fine. I was able. I was running Blunder, some coding window that I have no idea what was happening, and I was playing Blantro as well, and it was running completely fine.
Speaker 1: Some interesting things about this It is.
Speaker 3: Not a custom SoC it's not a system on a chip.
Speaker 1: They are not putting the CPU and GPU onto one die and building it that way. These are Bespoke, a distinct CPUs and GPU, so that's interesting. I guess the reason they did that is it was a combination of factors. They were worried about cost obviously, but like the sides and the heat and just like how easy it would be to produce. And it's like when they did all that, they ended up coming up with this solution and it doesn't seem like it held them back in terms of being able to create something that is super small, super compact, and super dense.
Speaker 3: That's actually quite impressive.
Speaker 1: Okay, So in terms of the power, though, we are talking forty six seventy or seventy six hundred from AMD, I bet it'll be because it's custom probably because they are going to be able to really focus and hone in on the features. I bet we're gonna get performance at the end of the day over time that will outpace.
Speaker 3: The things that it's equival equivalent to, but not by a lot.
Speaker 1: That's just gonna because based on the experience with the Steam Deck of like them being able to get so much out of that because people are specifically building for it and they can really focus on improving proton for that and stuff like that. So it's gonna be pretty powerful. Six times more powerful than the Steam Deck, they said, and again with FSR four to help them get up the four K. You got to see this in you know, in person running what like Cyberpunk was on the screen and stuff like that. What was your takeaway in terms of the visual quality?
Speaker 2: From the visual quality grub, I couldn't discern the difference from it running on a PC. I will preface this by saying, my eyeballs are not trained to really know notice the technical differences when it comes to PC gaming performance. But based off of all the specs and the demos that they ran us through, it felt like a causole experience that I feel like would translate well to someone trying to dip into Steam for the first time.
Speaker 1: It's not gonna be super easy to upgrade this necessarily. This is supposed to be kind of a self contained thing. You can add more ram. I think you can obviously expand the storage. In fact, you could just buy that five hundred and twelve gigabyte version and put your own two terabyte SSD in there so you don't have to pay the whatever price they're they're.
Speaker 3: Gonna charge you. They well game.
Speaker 1: We'll talk more about the pricing in a second, but they didn't provide a price. You know, there's maybe a couple other small tidbits like HD my two point zero instead of two point one, but apparently that's about not having some specific features that they need to be able to use. The the HDMI two point one name according to that consortium or whatever it is, it does support four k one and twenty frames per second on hertz and like HDR and free sync and all that stuff, So it's it's gonna have most of the.
Speaker 3: Futures that gamers care about. Wi Fi six ed.
Speaker 1: It's gonna be pretty fast as that dedicated Bluetooth antenna, so it's and then it has its own controller stuff, so there's a lot of like radios in there, so you can get the maximum speed from all these things without them interfering with one another. And that lends it leads into the steam frame, which will take advantage of that be able to connect directly to this thing. But also the Steam frame comes with its own dongle that is specifically for streaming VR games to this new VR headset that is otherwise stand alone. Although jan let me let me just ask you when you saw this thing, did you get the sense that they were saying, hey, well, this is a streaming VR thing first, or a standalone sort of mediquest thing first.
Speaker 2: It's a little hard to say, grub just because they were I think they were very proud of showing the streaming tech through the dongle and how you can just your existing library off of a PC or a laptop that you do have potentially straight off of your Steam machine as well, and I can speak to how well that felt. Hey, I don't know if anyone knows this Half Life Alex, cool freaking game it turns out. And I think the headset overall, if anyone out there has worn a Mediquest three, which I find, or a PSVR two, those are two headsets that I find to be very comfortable, this blows it all out of the water. Yeah, just much lighter, right, Yeah, just in terms of how light it is. Dan did get the chance to play Eighties two in another VR game straight off of the headset, and I don't think he had there was any discernible differences for him when he was checking those two games out, because he was just playing those on like a couch set up that they had, and on top of that, it was also streaming out to another monitor, so I could see what Dan was seeing. Yeah, gub it is a very comfortable headset to where and for folks that wear glasses out there, it is a good one of those for us.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's fantastic to hear.
Speaker 1: Let's I'm gonna read some of the stuff from Darren Bondhus before I hone in on things that I'm really surprised and excited about. The steam Frame is a VR headset that can stream VR and non VR games. Designed to be comfortable and featuring a lightweight construction. It's powered by a snap Dragon processor, so it's ARM and runs Steam OS on ARM. It also supports standalone play and full controller input support for PCVR and non VR games. The headset has a twenty one sixty by twenty one sixty LCD per I and a one hundred and ten degree field of view with a seventy two to one hundred and forty four hertz refresh rate. It has sixteen gigabytes of RAM and will be available in two hundred and fifty six gigabytes and on one terabyte storage models. Storage capacity can also be expanded with micro SD. Does this do the same thing where if you kick the micro SD?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: So, Another thing that it is very apparent Grub that there was a lot of care into the design of this is the face cushions are held on by magnets that you can easily take off cool and underneath the padding are is a micro s dport where you again you can take it from your steam Deck steam machine and slot that bad boy into there and it should just carry over everything as long as you have everything linked up like you're logged in as your account on the Steam frame, et cetera.
Speaker 1: It will come with controllers that have six degrees of freedom. That's what DOFF stands for tracking capacity, finger sensing like we were talking about before. Obviously that's even more important in VR those same I'm assuming magnetic thumbsticks, the tmrs, the style thumbsticks, and a battery life of up to forty hours when using olhways, yeah, this is still right, Yeah, when using double A batteries for that's for the controllers. We've been super happy the success of the steam Deck and a lot of feedback we've received from gamers about it, and it is what has encouraged us to expand the options for Steam users. They said, you talked to them. They kind of repeated a lot of that stuff. I'll get to here real quick. Breezy Caesar, as a question, would you get steam os on your phone mobile cross play workaround looking at you, Bilantro. So yeah, this is super interesting, not just because they're making their own VR standalone headset after making a VR headset previously, they're still interested in VR, the fact that this is a Snapdragon eight like Jen eight, I believe, which is in a ton of these like Chinese handheld devices. There's specifically when I'm thinking of I can't remember the name of, but I'm like, I think that's the same exec processor that's in both these things, And that means Steam OS with Proton with all these abilities like built in to run your Steam library will now work on potentially could work on Android phones and a variety of other devices that all have armed chips. And that's really really cool because you know not that that stuff is not possible already. There are like there's win I can remember there's a Windows translation layer that WIN later I think it is. You can get that on on Google Play right now, and it's a little bit of a hassle. There are other versions of that idea that are a little bit more streamlined, but of course none of them are going to be a streamlined as Steam Os. And it's like, I wonder if there's a world even jan where we see Valve make their own phone, their own gaming phone. Because I bet that Steam app on your on your phone right now that I use occasionally to buy a game, or to talk to a friend or.
Speaker 3: To set something up.
Speaker 1: I bet that's going to be a thing where you now you can click on a game and it will just start playing. Uh down the line, because they'll be they'll be able to put all the translation stuff into that app directly, especially now that the regulation around having third party stores on your phones has really tightened up and enabled those companies to do that. So things are kind of lining up for something along those lines. That's pretty interesting stuff. Did you get the sense that they have all these ideas in mind or something along those lines, grub.
Speaker 2: Yes, Because when they were introducing even the concept of the Steam Controller to us, they were talking about how it is built on. They've taken all of the learnings from everything they've done before, so that and I'm talking about the original Steam controllers with the two big honkin touch pads on them in place of some of the face buttons or instead of the sticks, I believe, and every iteration from the Steam Deck to the Steam controller, like the little Steam PC thing that they had Steamlink from a couple of years ago. All of their learnings they've taken into consideration to building the next thing that they're building. And also it feels like they're building things for what their audience would want and also what they want. So the very passionate reeks out there over at Steam or at Valve, I could easily see them thinking, oh, you know, I would want to be I want I would want the ability to play games on my phone. Why don't we make a phone?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I mean, at the very least, like, just get steam oles to a point where I can install this thing on my A Y n thor and suddenly that device just is like even better and and hopefully make it so the steam less is an easily sort of modifiable tool that people could be like, oh no, here's the fork that is perfect for ayn thor that understands the dual screens and just handles that stuff naturally. Yeah, I'm excited about the possibility for that.
Speaker 3: All this stuff, really though, is.
Speaker 1: In my wheelhouse, and I you know, we could talk about like, hey, well, how's the steam machine compare to what Microsoft might be planning for the new Xbox. I don't think Xbox is like at any more risk because this thing exists than they were already at. However, I can I know for a fact how I feel, jam and I feel like I would rather have this thing than any weird half measure half step Xbox PC thing that still has fucking Microsoft teams on it.
Speaker 2: Yes, one hundred percent grub I something I did cut out of the video several times is when we were doing our predictions, and then when we were talking to the devs, I did try and incept the idea of a watch.
Speaker 3: Oh, Jan, you're doing You're doing the work. Huh yepstalk, you're doing the work.
Speaker 2: Come out. The watch dog is here, y'all. Don't worry. I'm still out here on.
Speaker 3: The streets steam os watch. I'll listen. I'll get it.
Speaker 1: If they make it, I will. I will buy it, Jan, I promise you that. There you go, all right? Any final things from like from you know, these three devices? I guess they did use the number three to say we have three pieces of hardware? Was there a sniff of what is now the much rumored coming of Half Life three? Like I thought there was a chance, maybe you'll come back and tell me you saw that. They're still not talking about that if that's real, although I think it might still pop up here any minute.
Speaker 3: Was there any hint or any teases anything along those lines.
Speaker 2: I don't know, grub, I can't read them at all. For as polite and nice and knowledgeable as they all are, I feel like they probably have the best poker faces in the industry, because you know, tinfoil hat on. Like you said, they're showing three things. The primary demo on the Steam frame, half Life, Alex, Come on, guys, follow the bread crumbs. What's going on.
Speaker 1: Microsoft's Phil Spencer did comment on this and says, hey, we're one of the biggest publishers on Steam, so we love this. And for sure because I again I think I would just talk about it from the terms of the you know, the forecast for the future of Xbox hardware, and again I don't think it has much of an effect on that, primarily because they have now put any of these Steam hardware devices into retail stores, and that's going to be a big hurdle. You're going to be able to find an Xbox at Target and Best Buy, and that's going to be very different.
Speaker 3: But let's say all things were equal.
Speaker 1: In that case, maybe Steam Machine eats into it a little bit, but even then I wouldn't be like worried about the Xbox more than I already am. But yeah, in terms of like how I feel, it's like I know that this thing is.
Speaker 3: More for me.
Speaker 2: I think for people like us grub and people in our audience to community, this is incredibly appealing. And then this can also act as a gateway device for those extra non PC oriented people in our lives that are that have been intimidated. Even with how easy it is to get into PC game now with the Steam Deck and with gaming laptops available at your cost cos and whatnot, this is definitely a device that can help bring people over and let them see the light of PC games and what digital games go on sale.
Speaker 1: Yep, uh, So we'll talk about the price, but first we need to take a break. We're gonna be right back after these messages. You want to skip out on this, you go to GiantBomb dot com slash join become a premium member. AD free version of the audio show, AD free version of the video show is available there.
Speaker 3: We'll be right.
Speaker 1: Back jan you taught me to overcome my fear of sharp objects. I want to teach you how to overcome your fear of saving money.
Speaker 2: No, I don't want to. I will only ever pay the manufactured suggested retail price.
Speaker 3: Stop.
Speaker 1: You don't have to live this way because now there's Deco.
Speaker 2: Deals the double date.
Speaker 1: That's right, Deco Deals is the best way to find deals on any major gaming platform or store.
Speaker 2: I don't want no bunk, out of date coupon code grub.
Speaker 3: It's nothing like that.
Speaker 1: Decou Deals has both the hottest and the freshest deals updated constantly. It's also just added Steam support with a super simple page to find bundles for Steam code.
Speaker 2: Ooh, I just found the Missed and Riven Complete collection for eight dollars Unhumble using Deco deals right now.
Speaker 1: I also use Deco deals to build and add and share wish list. You can even use it to keep track of your collection.
Speaker 2: You know what, I think we should all build some lists and host them on deco deals dot com slash giant bomb.
Speaker 1: And if listeners go to decoud deals dot com slash giant bomb, they can vote to make us play a game. On the November twenty first episode of Unprofessional Fridays.
Speaker 2: Learn more at Deco deals dot com. Slash Giant Bomb. All right, we're back.
Speaker 1: It's games Morning's Janicho at Jeff Grub Let's get back into the Valve hardware stuff. Valve won't put a price on the Steam Machine yet, it says it'll be really competitive with the price of building a similar PC. This is from Alex Hopley at Game Reactor. I think they're framing there of similar PC and not equivalent console is going to be important. This thing is going to land more on the PC side of things in terms of pricing, is my guess. Valves taking a bit of a gamble reintroducing us to the Steam Machine. As was announced yesterday, it's the headlining piece of a new round of heart where from Valve, releasing early next year the Gabe Cube, which there's a lot of fun to answer this thing. I like that one, as some have called it looks like a neat little box. But the one question on everyone's lips is how much will it cost. Valve isn't quite ready to reveal that just yet, but in a conversation with IG and hardware engineer Jason Alda Hayat said the price is competitive if you were planning to build a PC with similar specifications, you're trying to make a PC that has similar features and similar performance. I think the steam Machine is going to be really competitive, be at a really competitive price to.
Speaker 3: That, and provide really good value to it, he said.
Speaker 1: The affordability piece you mentioned is one of the reasons why we think a steam machine makes a lot of sense right now. So it's just something that we thought about every time we made it. A hardware decision, a feature decision is to make sure that we keep it as approachable and as affordable as possible. So, yeah, did you get a chance to ask them about this? Did they make it sound like like we're thinking of this as a PC and PC pricing?
Speaker 2: When the topic of pricing came up, it was definitely a conversation that they were not quite ready to have at this point in time. However, that being said, grub the language was like, Ah, you know, we're kind of aiming towards the more of like an entry level PC price rather than Steam deck prices, And with all things considered, of all the guts inside that little cube, I think that does make sense. Yeah, I could see it.
Speaker 3: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe my own comfort levels of paying up to seven hundred.
Speaker 1: That's where I'm at. So my my like for the base model starting between six hundred and seven hundred. I think we're probably talking six fifty for that five hundred and twelve gigabyte model.
Speaker 3: We'll see it could be more than that.
Speaker 1: There's a bunch of reasons why I think they're talking about the PC as the anchor point here. Big one is unlike the Steam Deck, this thing is clearly a piece, clearly something you can boot up into desktop mode. You could if you were running a small company, you running a mid sized company, you're running a big company, and you need to have computers for your office. You could easily buy ten thousand of these things. And then all of a sudden it's like, well, now it's being used in offices and the subsidized effect of people buying these things to buy games doesn't come into play there.
Speaker 3: So's I can see why the price needs to be a little bit higher.
Speaker 2: So Grub, here's I'm glad you mentioned this. I've been waiting to bring this up. One of the things that we talked about with the Steam devs is the possibility of he's just being someone's PC perhaps, right, And then I brought up the idea of, huh, what have I just used like a fleet of steam machines as production computers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we build your own render farm exactly.
Speaker 2: So I have like a series of three cubes. And I'm like mister Terrific from the Superman movie or DC Comics, just sitting there producing a live stream, and the lovely people We're like, oh, yeah, yeah, you could do that.
Speaker 1: Yep, They're not going to stop you, that's for sure. I mean it's computer. You could put whatever you want on it. They said them a million times about it.
Speaker 3: So yeah.
Speaker 1: And then as people in chatter pointing out and I think we are on like a four or five episode streak of mentioning this factoid. RAM prices are really rough right now. They've at least doubled like a kind of across the board, and it sounds like that's not going to stop anytime soon.
Speaker 3: Going through next year.
Speaker 1: The expectation, according to the industry and analyst is RAM prices will continue to be high and could push even higher. As always will point out, that is due to the industry that produces RAM, the companies like sk Hihnez, Samsung, Micron.
Speaker 3: I think those are the three major ones.
Speaker 1: They have been investing their time and money into the AI side of the RAM, which is a different kind of RAM, but they are investing their time and money there, so everything else is being kind of left behind, and that means that even as demand increases over there, they can't meet that demand.
Speaker 3: They're not interested in meeting that demand. So yes, it's just.
Speaker 1: A very obvious if you look at the situation, those prices will continue to go higher. So this thing, this thing could be a little bit more expensive than we're even talking about right now because memory is already one of the more expensive components in a system, and that's not going to go away as this thing as these prices continue to go up.
Speaker 3: Six hundred to seven hundred.
Speaker 1: Though, if they can narrow, if they can get there, I think this thing will do really well. It'll be one of the best selling computers you know of recent times. All that stuff, cause I think that the everything's sort of in place now. The reason steam machines originally, I think it was twenty fifteen, twenty fourteen, about ten years ago. It didn't work because steam Os wasn't ready and it was all focused on Linux versions of games, and while there was a lot of those, there weren't weren't enough.
Speaker 3: And now everything just works, and it's because Valve.
Speaker 1: And others in the Open Source Committee have done a ton of work on Proton and Windows translation layers, and so it's like things have just changed so much that now Linux as a gaming platform is ready to go. And I think that they're we're at a point where a lot of people are going to be ready to jump in that direction, because it feels like with all these announcements JAM and the success of the Steam Deck and the kind of weird feelings around everything else, and price is going up on hardware left and right, people are going to be looking for a long term sort of home base for gaming, and Valve and PC gaming feels like the most sturdy rock in a very shaky pool, right.
Speaker 2: One hundred percent grub. Especially with how console prices have been fluctuating, I can see the case of fomo building up. If you didn't get a PS five at launch, you initially have the fomo of that, but now seeing the price steadily climb up as time goes on for a five year old console, it should be mentioned. I could see that the fomo rising in terms of like Okay, I should buy it now before it gets more expensive, or it completely stopping someone from wanting to pick up a PS five to begin with. And the value that the steam machine has is it is a new thing versus an old thing that is a PS five or an existing xbox.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: You know, this is gonna be a kind of thing where until we get it at home and can really put it through its paces, there's gonna be a lot of questions about it. People are gonna wonder about the price to value, and you know, I think there's plenty of things to get hung up on. I imagine every time this comes up now, like I've seeing chat like Matt Susie and Chet's like it's already dated. It feels because it's that eight gigabytes of video RAM, it's going to really stick out to people. You know, for me, it's always about the real world use cases, real world performance. What does it actually feel like? The numbers are always less than half the story.
Speaker 3: They're going to have.
Speaker 1: Done a lot of work on this thing, and if it becomes like steam Deck, where developers begin optimizing their games for this device, those numbers will matter less and less, although of course there will always be situations where it's like, oh, this game did need those sixteen gigabytes of RAM, so what are we doing here? All right, we got to move on, but let's hit this last thing from Valve. They have a pretty good idea of what steam Deck two is going to be, but it's not ready to talk about it yet or say anything. They said obviously the steam Decks not our focus today, but the same things we've said in the past, where we've been where we're really interested to work on what's next for steam Deck. The thing we're making sure of is that it's a worthwhile enough performance upgrade to make sense as a standalone product. We're not interested in getting to a point where it's twenty to thirty or even fifty percent more performance at the same battery life. We want something a little bit more demarketed than that shouts out to lines of demarcation. I think that I was kind of getting ahead of myself a little bit jam when I was reading about the steam Frame.
Speaker 3: I'm like, the next steam Deck is going to be an ARM based processor.
Speaker 1: But I think if they did that, they would end up with something that is fifty percent more performant and then has way better battery life, and maybe they'd be cool with that, but the way they're talking about it, probably not yet. So maybe we're talking like steam Deck three or steam Deck Light like five six years from now. But either way, like they clearly, after all of this work on this other hardware, are using all this information to inform them of what the steam Deck two is really gonna be.
Speaker 3: And did you get that sense.
Speaker 1: Of like, oh, they're super confident about where they're headed with all these things.
Speaker 2: Yes, the common sentiment around was like, oh, crap, we're also a hardware company now, Huh. I guess, I guess that's a thing that happened. But it is a happily happy stumbling into from the vibe that I was getting from talking to the employees at Valve. The other thing is that became apparent is that there's no external pressure to have to churn out a new annual edition of a steam Deck, Like they don't need to. Twenty twenty six is going to roll around, and they don't feel the need to churn out a version of the machine with incremental improvements versus like waiting and honing in all the information that they've taken in to build something that they feel like should be properly called the steam Deck two or whatever the next steam Deck is. So again, I trust the people at Valve. When they want to make something, they will put it out.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get through the rest of these stories now that we don't don't have much time left. The next Ratchet Clank game is a free to play multiplayer shooter. This is from Andy Robinson at VGC. Wait no, yeah, it's.
Speaker 3: Even more than that.
Speaker 1: Sony Interactive Entertainment has announced a new Ratchet and Clank game, and it's a multiplayer shooter for mobile. Ratchet and Clank Ranger Rumble is a fast paced multiplayer platform or arena shooter published by PlayStation and developed by Obibi o Bibbi. Yeah, there we go in partnership with Insomniac. Play as legendary heroes from across the galaxy, and I'm customized your ranger and unleash you were skilled in chaotic game modes. Just sounds like a game that they slapped a license on. Maybe it's more than that, but that's what it feels like. Look, the reality is that studio is busy, so we weren't gonna get any other like real Ratchet right now. Is this a case of it's better this than nothing or not? Jan No, No, it's not better grub, it's not.
Speaker 2: They won't do anything with Sly Cooper, Jacket Deckster have been waiting at the wigs. They'll bring out Ratchet at Klai like occasionally, and this is what they do to the this PlayStation. What the fuck these are? This is like you're hauling out like Terry Funk and then like you're just throwing him through tables and glass.
Speaker 1: Why it's a mean thing to do to Terry Funk. Sony stop that. Yeah, Hey, we'll see. I know that most of chat is saying this game basically already doesn't exist to me, and I know that's where I'm gonna end up falling as well. But maybe it's a good sign that they're like willing to continue to do this with Ratchet and Clank. Maybe that means that they're not going to let Marvel Games completely consume Insomniac, But who knows. Speaking of Sony games from Out of Nowhere, Horizon Steel Frontiers and MMO RPG from NCSoft has been announced for PCM mobile. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. NCSoft has announced Horizon Steel Frontiers, a new MMO RPG based on Sony's Horizon franchise, announced that g Star twenty twenty five. The game is being developed in collaboration with the original Horizon developer Gorilla. The game is planned for mobile and PC via NCsoft's Purple app. Set in the lands of the Machine Hunters known as the dead Lands, the game builds on Horizon signature hunting action gameplay while introducing new or and introducing advanced MMO RPG systems featuring deeply customizable combat and extensive player freedom. It looks like Horizon, you know, Forbidden West or whatever, but an MMO. Excuse me, sneezed. I don't know who's calling for this, but this is a big franchise for them, something they've invested a lot into.
Speaker 3: I don't know. How do you feel about a jan Grub.
Speaker 2: It's well documented how majority of us feel about Horizon. I don't I don't need an MMO of Horizon. I don't have the appetite for it, Grub. I think the last time I was interested in the franchise was maybe that VR game, just because you would use a peton and like the cool rock climbing little hooky things. I don't have any interest in it, but I hope the Horizon secos are excited.
Speaker 1: Say, just looking at it, I'm like five seconds here as I try to like get more information about I watched this earlier, but while I was getting ready, but I didn't.
Speaker 3: I guess I didn't pay enough attention.
Speaker 1: It looks a lot like Monster Hunter, I think, which makes sense that they would just try to do that.
Speaker 3: I don't know. Let's see here, Let's keep going. They do think more are they?
Speaker 1: The more Horizon games are coming, including a non MMO multiplayer game. This is from Eddie McCoo at GameSpot, Sony and nc softter making a new Horizon MMO, but it's not the only entering the series in the works right now, it seems. Gorilla Games said that the studio is busy working on new experiences where players can hunt machines in the world of Horizon, and they have more on that to come. Gorilla has not announced any new Horizon game, but it's been reported for some time now that the developer is making a multiplayer Horizon game. They're also likely making the next real multi verse single player adventure.
Speaker 3: Game, Horizon.
Speaker 1: I mean, it does seem like it's working for them, even if we're not super into it is part of I guess do you think it can sustain all of this though?
Speaker 2: Well, that's the problem, Grub is that I feel like the people that are into Horizon really like and these other games may not feature Aloi as a primary character, So I don't know how strong or fleshed out the world of Horizon is outside of her lens. So, I mean, it has a very strong and distinct look to it, and how all of the robot animals look. But I don't know if that carries that interest carries over to the rest of the audience that is really into Horizon.
Speaker 3: Yeah, me neither. I'm sure we'll get more soon on this.
Speaker 1: They'll probably let this MMO come out first, and then in the wake of that, I thought the' ussome news about the rest of the games. PlayStation is going to drop the price of PS five models across to Europe by at least one hundred euros for Black Friday. The PS five standard edition will be four forty nine. It was five forty nine PS five Digital Edition will be three forty nine was four ninety nine, and PS five Pro will be six ninety nine where it was previously seven nine.
Speaker 3: Again, that's all in.
Speaker 1: Euro and I guess that's one of the benefits for this company when they raise prices are one of the many benefits is they can now afford to do discounts again, where previously was like, we're at the lowest price that we're comfortable with. I guess PlayStation five got quite a few discounts early on when they were really trying to hit some numbers.
Speaker 3: But I don't know, this feels like, Okay, great, we can go back.
Speaker 1: To the prices we were maybe previously paying because you've increased prices so many times. However, I bet it does function well for them, especially with people still trying to get these systems in time for Grand Theft Auto six and now sure they have more time, but people know these prices could keep going up. And then finally, Analog three D is shipping that two hundred and fifty dollars sixty four FPGA device. It's going to begin shipping November eighteenth. I got my notification.
Speaker 2: Oh, congratulations, Gret.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was like Hey, yeah, there's things going to ship, so that was great to see. All right, that does it for the headlines. Let's get to the poll question from yesterday.
Speaker 3: I have it right here.
Speaker 1: Let me just refresh to make sure I have the freshest numbers great PlayStation state of Play Japan ABC or D or lower. I went with a C, as did forty four percent of respondents. The next highest was D or lower at thirty two percent. Then twenty one percent of respondents gave it a B and four percent gave it an A. You know, these state of plays always kind of have a lot going against them that they are more commercials than even some of these other kind of events that we get where it's a lot of it is, hey, these games exist, you should remember them. We have your attention, we're going to sell them to you. And then that means they always live and die on the biggest, newest, freshest announcements and state of plays. There's no guarantee you're really going to get a lot of those. So yeah, people weren't super thrilled. And really the big announcement was a cheaper Japanese only PlayStation five, and that doesn't affect.
Speaker 3: Most of this audience. Infact, it excludes them in a key in key ways. All right, that is that poll question.
Speaker 1: We'll get to the new poll question here in a second effect. Actually, let's just do it right now. Are you getting a new steam machine?
Speaker 3: Yes? Or no?
Speaker 1: I know that the response this will primarily be it will depend on the price. I just like answer right now based on your gut feeling. And then once we get the price, we'll ask again and see how things go. So, are you getting a steam machine?
Speaker 3: Yes or no? We'll get the results of that.
Speaker 1: Talk about it on Gay Mess Mornings here on Giant Bomb tomorrow speaking a Giant Bomb, jan it's Thursday. We've got voicemail, dump truck. Maybe me and Dan might have time for a run at some point.
Speaker 3: We'll see. And then tomorrow it's going to be you know, upf and a few other things.
Speaker 1: Well, people, get ready to go to Dan's for Saturday where we're going to do extra life.
Speaker 2: Yes, we got Billy Meyers on the dump truck. Later today tomorrow, I believe we're gonna do cod Block seven for unprofessional Fridays. And we all know how I perform and call of duty. I'm going to carry the team.
Speaker 3: Baby, yeah, let's go.
Speaker 2: But yes, Also for folks that missed it, please please please please go check out the video that Dan and I did when we visited Valve and je's really good. All of these new Steam thangs.
Speaker 1: I'll say, it's I'm glad that we are business to works the way it does where we don't have to play the numbers game necessarily. But it's always great to get a lot.
Speaker 3: Of views on YouTube.
Speaker 1: But the people in our community who are watching that video chant, they are in love with it, and it's like, oh, yeah, well we work for them, Like well, that's our primary business is people who support us directly, so we can just make stuff directly for them.
Speaker 3: And I think you nailed it, so really really great work.
Speaker 1: All Right, we got the new poll question out of the way, We got the Hey, what's happening for the rest of the week by the way, So now I say, jan Ochoa, thank you so much for hanging out with me and talking about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: It is the best way to start a Thursday.
Speaker 1: Thank you all for watching and listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, Take care of yourself, goodbye meaning blinding band, being doub