Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: The Indianapolis Star, that state's biggest newspaper, is heavily covering the story, and a captain in the Gary, Indiana Police Force, Charles Austin, says, the situation is credible.
Speaker 3: That is incredible.
Speaker 2: Joining's now from Chicago, Father Michael Magdol, Catholic priest who has been dealing with the situations. While I want to keep this fact base. What you know, what you saw, what you did.
Speaker 3: Let's start with the boy. What do you know about him?
Speaker 4: Actually I have never met any of their children. The first time I heard about the incident was when just after the boy walked up the wall backwards.
Speaker 3: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 5: A giant, hairy creature, part ape, part matt in Luckness, a twenty four a mile long bottomless lake in the highlands of Scovernany get the creature known as the luck Ness Monster.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm your host, Blake Smith. Did demonically possess children, float around and fly through the air, and Gary, Indiana was the regate to Hell. In the basement of a small rental home, you'd sure think so. Based on a lot of the media coverage in this episode, Doctor Karen Stolesno, author of Haunting America and God Bless America, joins me to get a skeptical take on this mysterious story. Let's get this episode started with some monster. Well, first of all, thanks for coming back to Much Talk.
Speaker 1: Thank you for having me on the show.
Speaker 3: I've got to say that when I saw this news story about this Gary, Indiana demon case, I knew it was going to blow up big time. My wife sent it to me. I think maybe she got it from the Daily Mail something like that.
Speaker 1: Isn't it funny? It's been really huge in the UK.
Speaker 3: It has been. It has been big in the US too, so absolutely, I'm going to do some round up. But I mean, it is the Daily Mail picked up you know it was going to exclude yes, yeah, or the Daily Fail as I like to call it. Indeed, before we just go rambling off onto the events here, let's explain to the listeners what this story is about in the in the off chance they haven't read about it, and we'll put links in the show notes to the original story from the Indiana Star. And I'm going to go ahead and break out some of the links that she includes in her research. The author of the story, Marissa quiet Kowski que Yeah. And I've reached out to the author of the story of via email and via Twitter to try to see if I could get her to make a comment and maybe she will, and I don't know. And if she doesn't, maybe she'll listen to the show and do it later. I don't know. I'd be happy to have her on and she wants to talk about the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think this might continue for a while longer two.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because the people involved are certainly doing the new circuit. And I can't imagine this has not been optioned for a movie already.
Speaker 1: But let's yeah, and I wonder if that's a part of the problem.
Speaker 3: Yeh, Yeah, let's get into that. So let's start with the beginning. So the story first appeared on January twenty eighth, twenty fourteen. According to the author, It was after about six months of interviews and waiting for a release of information from various agencies that had evidence. So the story begins when the Amman's family, which consists of a grandmother named Rosa Campbell, the mother of three children named Latoy. Yeah, the children are not named in the story. They move into a rental house in Gary, Indiana, in November of twenty eleven.
Speaker 1: It was around November when they moved into the house, and it was within a couple of weeks that strange things started occurring. I think the first incident was some horse flies which began to appear even though this was wintertime. I think the mother and grandmother tried to kill the flies, and they kept reappearing. So it's all kind of reminiscent of Amityville quite a bit, but also the Exorcist too, and the Exorcist, as we'll see with some of the other phenomena which began, things like levitation and.
Speaker 3: Spoilers, we'll get to that fast. So the mom starts hearing noises in the night, and then one night she sees an apparition appear. It looks like a dark, shadowy figure stomping around, and she jumps out of her bed and tries to investigate, and she finds there's actually literally huge wet footprints in the floor. Bigot, Well, I don't know, I you know, but if she found wet footprints, obviously that doesn't sound like you know, your classic night terror or hypnogogic dream. Let's also think about a couple of guidelines before we keep going through these events. One is, I want to talk about how skeptics interpret a story like this. So one thing is we have to start with the null hypothesis, and in this case, although it would that be a very socially friendly thing to do to someone who was actually telling you this story, you have to assume none of it happened and then see what evidence exists to the contrary, I think is one thing. And the second thing is for each reported phenomena, you need to know, again, did it happen at all? And if it did, is there a plausible explanation beyond the supernatural one? Which I think as the story goes along, the supernatural explanation is always the one that's being jumped to.
Speaker 1: Even though even in the original article they do have some possible natural explanations and those are discarded in favor of the supernatural ones. They're the ones that we keep hearing about. They're the ones that are retold now in other articles and on YouTube.
Speaker 3: Exactly so. In March of twenty twelve, there was a ruckus in the house again. Apparently some several family members were over because there had been a funeral someone in the family had died, not in the immediate family, but they were they're doing to death in the family. Ammon's twelve year old daughter was in her bedroom and there were screaming and people ran in to see what had happened, and the daughter was floating in the air unconscious. So later she wakes up and she's unharmed, and she has no memory of the event.
Speaker 5: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then they started looking into contacting local churches and other religious bodies looking for some kind of help, but most of them didn't offer any assistance, and one recommended that they perform a cleansing strangely enough, so then they began anointing the home with oil. They also cleaned the home with ammonia. They were also advised too that they should move, but they didn't have the money to be able to do that. So then they started looking into clearvoyance, and they had I think two psychics who came through the house and told them that it was infested with about two hundred demons.
Speaker 3: And even for demons, that's a lot.
Speaker 1: It is yea much bigger than Amityville, that's right. And then also advised that they do some kind of sage purifications and smudging of the home, which they began to do. And they also built an altar in the basement.
Speaker 3: Yes, I found they put salt around perimeters. They sort of basically made warding circles. There was an interesting mixture of Christianity type religious approaches, shamanism, and then classic just well mostly Western culture demon defenses.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and if you go through a lot of the articles that are out there, people are claiming that there's Satanism behind it or voodoo behind it. So it's really running the gamut of beliefs and practices, right.
Speaker 3: And the grandmother apparently was not affected herself by any of these things, because she has when I've heard some described as a guardian angel. She says she has some kind of supernatural protection from all this.
Speaker 1: Evil, yeah, that she was born with.
Speaker 3: So things go really strange because they decide to take the case to their doctor, their family physician, whose name is doctor Jeffrey on you coup, I believe is how it would be pronounced. And that's that's when it starts to get really weird. I'm going to actually just read an excerpt from an article. It's kind of a long excerpt, and I've even edited, but if you want to hear the whole thing, we've got links to the entire article in the show notes.
Speaker 1: Sorry, maybe I should interject at this stage, he was pretty skeptical really about their claims, and so this the family doctor, and I think in his medical notes, didn't he say that the family, especially the mother, were Yeah, yeah, that she was suffering from hallucinations. So these are quotes directly out of his medical notes, that they were suffering from hallucinations, that they were having delusions of ghosts in the home, and that they were delusional exactly. So yeah, I think he maintained that position.
Speaker 3: So until until he saw the children himself, I guess. So Campbell said that Ammon's son, that's the grandmother, says that the mother's sons cursed on Yuku and demonic voices raging at him. Medical staff said the youngest boy was lifted and thrown into the wall with nobody touching him. According to the Department of Children's Services report, the boys abruptly passed out and wouldn't come to. Campbell added, she cradled one boy in her arms. Ammons held the other. Someone from the doctor's office called nine one one on. Yuku said seven or eight police officers and multiple ambulances showed up. Police and emergency personnel took the boy to the Methodist's Hospital campus in Gary. Ammonds said hospital personnel laughed at her desire to anoint her sons with olive oil. I couldn't talk to them, she said, so I talked to God. The boys woke up in the hospital. The older boy, then nine, acted rationally, but the youngest one screamed and thrashed, Campbell said. She said it took five men to hold him down. Meanwhile, someone called the Department of Child Services and asked the agency to investigate Ammins for possible child abuse or neglect. The caller, who was not named in the DCS report, speculated that Amins might have a mental illness. The person believed that the children were performing for Ammins and that she was encouraging their behavior. The Department of Child Services Family case manager Valerie Washington was asked to handle the initial investigation, and she gave the following account to police and her intakeate report. Hospital personnel examined Ammons and her children and found them to be healthy and free from marks or bruises. A hospital psychiatrist evaluated Ammons and determined she was sound of mind. Washington interviewed the thing in the hospital. While she spoke with Emmons, the seven year old boy started growling, with his teeth showing. His eyes rolled back in his head. The boy locked his hands around his older brother's throat and refused to let go until the adults pried his hands open. Later that evening, Washington and registered nurse Willie Lee Walker brought the two boys into a small exam room for an interview. Campbell joined them. The seven year old stared into his brother's eyes and began to growl again. It's time to die, the boy said, in a deep, unnatural voice, I will kill you. While the youngest boy spoke, the older brother started headbutting Campbell in the stomach. Campbell grabbed her grandson's hands and started praying. What happened next would rattle the witnesses into some It would offer not only evidence but proof of paranormal activity. According to Washington's original report, an account corroborated by Walker of the nurse, the nine year old had a weird grin and walked backward up a wall to the ceiling. He then flipped over campbell Land on his feet, and he never let go of his grandmother's hand. He walked up the wall, flipped over her, and stood there. Walker told the Star, there's no way he could have done that. Later, police asked Washington whether the boy had run up the wall as though performing an acrobatic trick. No, Washington told them she said the boy glided backwards on the floor, wall and ceiling. According to the police.
Speaker 1: Report, Yeah, it's a bizarre story. But I think one of the first things I thought is that, you know, we're dealing with kids. I can imagine them, you know, doing backflips and woolwalking as part of some kind of trick. And there's a thread on metabunk dot org and a group of people are talking about this, and a few people have posted some YouTube videos of kids doing exactly that, and it's just not outside of the realm of possibility, especially if there was a bed or something in the room that he could have leapt off. It's just not paranormal sounding to me.
Speaker 3: Well, right, I guess the other thing is we're also dealing with anecdotes. We're dealing with people remembering things and if there's anything we've covered on this show, if there's anything I've learned over and over again doing this show and reading about skeptical literature and how the brain works. Memory sucks, that's the technical term for it. I mean, memory is not really as good as people think it is. And these people were primed for experiencing a paranormal event because everyone was claiming there was demonic possession. Oh yeah, if they were looking at it with that filter, then anything unusual might have taken on a paranormal or supernatural appearance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it seems like they were all under a great deal of stress at the same time. And just in reading the various articles that are out there, it seems like both Valerie Washington from the DCS and the nurse Willie Lee Walker were both both admittedly believers in demons and spas.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: However, there are two other psychologists and they do mention this in the Indie Star article who also did psychiatric evaluations of the mother, and they had alternative opinions. They believe that the kids were being influenced by the mother and I think it was a Joel Schwartz and Stacey Wright, And yeah, they both spoke with the mother and thought and the kids too, and believed that the kids were really acting as though they were possessed and they were just being influenced by the mother.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they were acting out her wishes or trying to please her.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, it seems as though the activity ceased when they moved out of the home and when they were fostered out temporarily, and when they met up with the mother again. It seems like everything had just been laid to rest, and the mother attributes that to God. But I think it was just some time apart.
Speaker 3: But now we're all out of secret again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, sorry.
Speaker 3: It's okay. So what happens next in the story though? After the walking on the ceiling? Is that Reverend Michael I think is measure?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I'm hearing different pronunciations.
Speaker 3: But well, you know, he's done various TV interviews and he's enthusiastic about this story, so I'm sure we can get the correct pronunciation from some of those clips later. But he is contacted and told about the case, and on April twenty second, he conducts a four hour interview with the family and decides that their house is full of demons and ghosts and he urges them to move, and they do leave temporarily, but then they have to come back because they have to let in a representative from the Department Shoulder Services into the house. And by this point, obviously the story that there is a demonic possession going on is spreading around because two policemen come along for quote professional curiosity, and they take a bunch of pictures and they say they see ghostly images in the photos and have an EVP they recorded, which sounds more like they're doing a ghost investigation allah the ghost hunters than a police investigation.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I don't know if you heard that EVP. I saw it on YouTube last night and I heard it and apparently it says hey, which isn't particularly demonic to me.
Speaker 3: No, I have heard it. I believe I heard it on Darkness Radio.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Last night we were watching videos of all of these stories on YouTube, and we heard the recording of the EVP allegedly saying hey, And so we tried to recreate that, and we just took a phone and recorded brushing that against clothing and against various surfaces, and even tried exhaling, and each time we were able to produce what sounded like the word hey or something similar to that. And of course if you're primed for that, if you're told that that is what is being said, then that's what you're going to hear.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So it seemed to me that again people were taking this story and beginning to blame everything that was going on in our life on the effect of these demons. Because the police started having equipment issues and there's seats and their car messed up in book the demon and then one of the Department of Shown Services people had health issues and had some accidents.
Speaker 1: Demon they all started attributing it to demons, and of course the captain Charles Austin was claiming that there was a portal to Hell in the basement in the basement, and that's it's interesting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't again to go way off, but I would say that none of these claims existed before this family moved in. So this is like it wasn't like there was a long history of the portal to Hell causing issues in this property.
Speaker 1: Yeah. The owner, his name's Charles Reid, and he said that there hadn't been I think he'd been the owner of the place or the landlord for about thirty years, and there hadn't been any problems before this, and certainly when the family left, there weren't any problems afterwards.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So Mazino believes that it's a demonic case. And I'm going to kind of speed this up again because this is a long story and it's got lots of partless But eventually he does three exorcisms on the property, and he does the last one in Latin, and this final exorcism is in June of twenty twelve. There's even more complications than that. There's like a backup plan involving putting demon's names and envelopes and burning them and all kinds of other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is kind of bringing voodoo into it again.
Speaker 3: It's got every This story has.
Speaker 1: Everything, yes, everything you could once.
Speaker 3: But Ammon's and her and the grandmother Campbell moved to Indianapolis, where quote they live without fear, and in November they got the custody back of their children. And according to the Department Children Services records, there are quote no demonic presences are spirits in the home. So and I think a lot that's attributed to the fact that, at least up until the story came out, there was less conversation about demons. I don't know how things are going now because Ammond's is on the news, Magine's on the news, everybody's on the news talking about this demon case.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I don't know if you saw the interview with Bill O'Reilly with Magino and he I hate to agree with him. And also there was an interview with Glenn Beck as well, but both of them thought that the evidence wasn't solid enough to go public.
Speaker 3: It was a story saying yeah it was. Bill O'Reilly's a strong Catholic and he seemed he seemed very skeptical about the story. But Magino was I can only say, ebulliant about the story.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, because he hadn't actually interviewed the boys or the kids at all. He did not see the boy walking along the wall. He did conducted a four hour interview with the mother and the grandmother, and that was enough to convince him.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and then you know, everything he saw he attributed to the demons. Again, So it looks like the media, even though there is some skeptical coverage, there's a lot more let's say, pollinating of the story and spreading of the story than there is critical examination of the story.
Speaker 1: It's already evolving too. If you just look at the different reports, the story is already changing and evolving, and we're not hearing from these people who've had direct experiences from you know, we're not receiving any evidence either, so it's just pretty flimsy.
Speaker 3: I would like to think this story would eventually well without going into too much detail, I'd like to believe that the kids could grow up without being influenced by all this stuff that's happened. But if you look at the case of the Amityville situation, or really all the major demonic possess stories in the media, the kids end up coming up and then later release their own books because there's tons of financial pressure for them to do so, and then you get the true story from their perspective of what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mean there's a possibility that there could be some collaboration going on and they're trying to create another Exorcist or another Amityville. The stories certainly do are very aligned to those cases.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would be surprised if there's not a book or a movie, or both a book and a movie to come out of this.
Speaker 1: Oh, now that Zach began, Now that he's involved, and he's purchased the house for over thirty five thousand dollars, I think they're definitely going to go and do an investigation there, and he'll have contacts. It'll certainly be coming out in book form and movie form.
Speaker 3: In a hell hole in the side of a hill, there lived a bagging.
Speaker 1: It's Peganes.
Speaker 3: Is it really Beegands?
Speaker 1: I'm not too sure. I've heard of different versions. It sounds posh, though, doesn't.
Speaker 3: It It does?
Speaker 1: It sounds it makes me sound smart.
Speaker 3: He looks good, he's a very fit. Good for him.
Speaker 1: This is going in the wrong direction.
Speaker 3: So how does so How has a skeptical investigator approach this case? I guess we could both talk about this. I already mentioned I think we should be taking the null hypothesis. But again, if these stories are true, and I'm just gonna gosh, I hate to say this because I like to be open minded, I don't believe a child floated in the air.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Once again, it's just anecdotal evidence. And these people are all incredibly superstitious. The family, the copse, obviously the priest. It's difficult to take their word for it.
Speaker 3: Yes, it really is. And it's like there is a sort of an armchair technique of skepticism which is really common where you say, okay, well that's what they reported, but what would be a natural explanation for that to happen? You know, Okay, the child didn't really run up the wall. It was a you know, parkore move, or you know, they think they didn't float. It was an optical illusion, you know. Or but sometimes if you go back and look, people reported people flying in the Middle Ages, they didn't fly.
Speaker 1: It didn't have Yogi's livid I think.
Speaker 3: So, I mean, in this case, I don't even think it's necessary to possibly if the child was faking it as much as that there's confabulation and fantasy or just outright made up stories. I don't know, we can't know.
Speaker 1: I think one of the psychologists too, had said that it seems like there was communal reinforcement that was taking within the family, with the relatives and even with the friends.
Speaker 3: Right exactly, And I think there was a really strong feedback loop of positive enforcement.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I think the psychologists also said that the stories changed, so when the the kids were interviewed, they just kept changing their stories, and that's.
Speaker 3: Yes, they did say that was very interesting.
Speaker 1: Another thing that should we should call into a question.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So at first I was hesitant to even cover this story because I read the story and I saw anecdote anecdote anecdote. You know, there's really very little evidence. So what can we say about it except, hey, it's an interesting story, but where's the proof? Right?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think it's very worthy though, to look at the claims and to even if we're just trying to surmise, to come up with possible explanations for these claims, and then we've got something like the image of that alleged ghost in the window.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's interesting photo. We can, I believe we can link to that photo and the show notes as well. And this is to the article that you gave me the link too.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there been a lot of discussion about that, And initially I saw it and I thought it's some kind of paradol, or it could be the curtain, or it could be maybe the leaves or just something else in the picture. And now I think the current theory is that it was an Android app.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm still inclined to think that the android app is probably not the thing. That it's more likely something else.
Speaker 1: But just with all the pictures I'm seeing online, they do seem.
Speaker 3: They're very close. They're very close, but it would it could be. But it does mean that the photo that would have to have been deliberately hoaxed by the police versus they took a picture that justumb.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which is concerning. But I think either of those two theories is better than the idea that it's.
Speaker 3: Paranormal, right right, right. I don't find anything about human shaped reflections even that's that's like vaguely human shape. That's like paleolithic art shaped.
Speaker 1: Cave drawing, shave drawing.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, So I mean that's don't let Eric von Donekin see that, or he'll say they are aliens there.
Speaker 1: So too late.
Speaker 3: So I'm troubled because, Okay, it's a great story, it's an engaging story, it's very interesting story. But why is it in the paper? I say that because if I said with all sincerity that I have superpowers and that I can fly, you know, but a villain hit me with a ray. It took my powers alway, so I can't find now, but I have witnesses who saw me flying around and solving, you know, crimes and stuff. Yeah, would they put that in the paper.
Speaker 1: No. I think that this has been in some ways just carefully coifit, and I think this has taken place over the course of years. It's not something that's just cropped up. And I think one of the main reasons that people are believing the stories is all of these supposed credible sources that and these credible eyewitnesses that were there and who are coming forward now more and more to talk about what they've they've seen. Yes, I think that's kind of the key to why this story, amongst all of the others, has picked everyone's curiosity.
Speaker 3: And I think we're likely to see this story continue to evolve over the next decade or so as people come back and do documentaries and specials, and then people will want to be on TV and they will want to make their story better. Oh yes, yeah, maybe not even intentionally, but over time their stories are going to get better.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's going to become more paranormal as time goes by.
Speaker 3: I think so. I think Zach Baggan's buying the property was probably a sweet move on his part.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, there was some interview that he did I'm not sure who it was with. I'm sure we can put this in the show notes as well. And he was excitedly talking about all the research he was going to do and just how dangerous this was and that people could die from this house and demonic possession and so I think it'll just end up being an episode of ghost Adventures.
Speaker 3: Yeah, come at me, demon bro.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it provoked the two hundred demons.
Speaker 3: One thing.
Speaker 1: He's going to get his ask.
Speaker 3: It's inevitable. So I did reach out to the author of this story, the investigative journalist, and if she gets back with me or wants to make a comment or I would like to appear on the show and talk about the investigation, that would be great. But if she doesn't, you know, at least we've raised some questions about it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, there was an interview I saw with her, and she was very tight lipped about it all. She refused to comments as to whether she believed in what was happening or not. She said she was just telling the story, retelling the story in the words of the people that experienced it.
Speaker 3: So that's a nice cop out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I wonder how useful she'd be on a show like this.
Speaker 3: I think she was well at the time the story was blowing up, so maybe once the story calmed down she could talk. I'll say this, let me throw this out there. Looking at the rest of her journalism, it looks like she covers plenty of Monday topics. It does it well as an investigative journalist. Looks like for my research.
Speaker 1: But oh, in certainly in her job of retelling the story, she's thorough.
Speaker 3: Yes, yes, it looks like she did very thorough investigation without actually telling us whether any of this really happened or not.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, it's not an analysis or an investigation. It's just a report.
Speaker 3: I wanted to be a journalist at one point in me. That part's still alive in me and tells me that this story should be really cover. Yeah, it is there somewhere.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, this has been an incredibly successful story.
Speaker 3: For her from the new media perspective of bringing people to the website and looking at ads fantastic job of journalist Pilitzer dot Com Prize winner, right, oh yeah.
Speaker 1: From a skeptical perspective, it's an utter failure, right.
Speaker 3: I think from I mean, yes, yeah, yeah, it's a mixed bag, isn't it Because she totally did an investigation, She got a very thorough coverage to the story. But there's just not a lot of doubt in there. And I don't know why credit this reporting of ghosts and demons has a place in journalism other than like the sort of daily mail. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but she has a lot of juicy information at her fingertips. She received a lot of reports and just primary documents stories from people, and she's spoken with these people directly, so she's got all the hot goss on it. So it's a shame that she didn't do a better job. But I guess that's not the tactic that she wanted to take with this particular publication.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and maybe her editor pressured her into doing it this way. I have no idea, but if she wants to talk about it, I would love to hear about it, and maybe she could tell us more about what pressures there are in journalism today to write fluff pieces that are sort of titillating without substance.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, after all the crap we've said.
Speaker 3: About her, I would love to have her on it. Yeah, but isn't that fair? I was like, it's titillating without real substance. I mean, I mean it's got absolutely.
Speaker 1: I mean that there are little bits of grains of truth there that you can see, but there is so much emphasis that's placed on these personal experiences.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do worry. I mean, I hope that the kids are okay.
Speaker 1: I just know I don't like their chances. I mean, they've been socialized into this superstitious upbringing from an early age. It's brainwashed and indoctrinated into them. And now after having these experiences, I think that they're going to As you said, you're talking about the kids from Amityville coming out with their own documentaries, it's highly possible that they're really going to take this through into adulthood. And I don't see the mother letting off either. With these experiences.
Speaker 4: It's no.
Speaker 1: It seems like I have ferminal.
Speaker 3: Experience with supernatural thinking, and I know what it's like when everything that happens in your life is attributed to some supernatural force and not to natural causality. While the occasion it's a miracle I got out of that live thing is okay, if literally everything that happens in your life is like the result of supernatural intervention and nothing happens because of your own work or the things that you do. It leads you. You end up in a powerless position and it's not good. It's not good. It's not there's no way to be raised.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, well they've created all of this, but it's their own proof, as they say it. So it's a weird kind of paradox.
Speaker 3: It's a weird and fearful way to live. And I'm sorry to hear about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, I just wonder what damage it will cause with them in future, but I think it will stick with them.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, if it makes them rich, maybe they'll at least be better off financially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and all the damage that's done for other families.
Speaker 3: I mean, if if I've learned anything from Hollywood, it's being rich makes everything.
Speaker 1: Okay, Yeah, yeah, it's terrible. You haven't leterly or listened.
Speaker 3: My god, If you have more stuff that you've prepared, I don't want to make you waste it. So if you want to talk about anything in particular.
Speaker 1: Found some of the aspects of that the exorcism were interesting, where LaToya was apparently convulsing when Latin was being spoken and when she was touched by a crucifix, and so it seems.
Speaker 3: Like, wouldn't it be awesome to do that like another exorcism and then when you're speaking Latin, just speak complete nonsense or like very silly stuff and see how yeah.
Speaker 1: Well he might have been for all we know. I mean, how do we know that it was really Latin? But that seemed to be her cue. I think she was really role playing there, And without having seen the exorcism myself, just hearing what the priest had to say, it just sounds like she heard a language she couldn't recognize and thought it was magical and then started acting.
Speaker 3: To me, it seemed like the priest was setting up a total scenario, just like some other digmonic exorcists we know which one where it's all a role playing thing and where you know you're prepped ahead of time for how to behave. She's clearly culturally aware of what a demonic possession and exorcism are supposed to look like. Yeah, he feeds into that and then comes in and performs this exorcism. She acts out this scenario and then he gives a very like it gets stronger or stronger and he gives her like this big Latin speaking finale, and then she moves away and there's cleansed of the demons and everybody's happy. And in one sense, I'm like, Okay, if that works and she's happy, yay, you know. But on the other again, with all the reinforcement on the media and all this coverage, it can't be something that's going to really stay out of her life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, I would agree, and i'd also say that I'd also add that with some of the behaviors that the kids were showing, they were cursing in demonic voices and growling in their eyes, rolling back into their heads, it seems to me like there was some kind of role playing there, some kind of priming, And I wonder if not only were they being influenced by the mother, but possibly they were being influenced by movies.
Speaker 3: Possibly. Yeah, it would be interesting to see what films they had around all that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, I'd like to know exactly what religion they are too. And you mentioned to me earlier that they were taken to a Methodist church, so a Methodist hospital, and of course they dealt with a Catholic priest. But I'm just wondering if they might not be influenced by maybe a deliverance minister.
Speaker 3: It could be. It's a good question, just just.
Speaker 1: The weird blend of smudging and seeing a clear voyance. I mean, that just has aspects I think of deliverance. Of course, that's not accepted by Catholic priests as a rule. And yeah, I even wonder if the priest went about doing this properly, because it seems like he didn't really have permission from his bishop. Normally these people, before they would undergo any kind of exorcism, they'd be exposed to psychiatric evaluations via the church. And it just seems like this was happened pretty quickly without the usual channels being followed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it does. And that's a really good question. And unfortunately I don't know the answer. I don't know if a would be interested in talking to us or night.
Speaker 1: Speaking of which, if you go to YouTube too and you start looking at videos that are appearing, there are lots of people just doing drive bys and going and recording EVPs outside of the house, and they're getting some interesting stuff, some interesting EVPs like I'm scared was one of them? Prison and don't know and whore and pretty, So that's all compelling.
Speaker 3: Talking to my mom, I wish you wouldn't call me those things except for pretty, that's okay. Yeah, EVPs, we should do a whole episode on EVPs.
Speaker 1: I would love to do that, absolutely.
Speaker 3: I say the word with disdain.
Speaker 1: Well, it's such an interesting background as well, just the rowdive voices and the history of it is really intriguing. And Thomas Edison and it was a big backstory to it all.
Speaker 3: Thomas Edison waxing philosophical, I would say that EVPs are not compelling evidence for skeptics for a lot of reasons.
Speaker 1: No, And I think even with some of the e vps that the cops were recording, there was some argument as to what was being said, so people of course hearing different things because of course it is subjective.
Speaker 3: It's very subjective. And you know, if you ever listened to e vps on like paranormal radio shows, they almost always, in my opinion, ruin the EVP by telling you ahead of time what you're about to hear, which totally sets your brain up to interpret what you hear to be what they say.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, and then even if you've give an alternative explanations for what it could be. You can hear that as well.
Speaker 3: Weird. It's weird because that's how brains work. They try to match patterns and there can be more than one match.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've seen ghost hunters argue at conferences over what they've heard, and it's just a perfect example of how subjective it is.
Speaker 3: Thank you for joining me on Munster Talk to talk about this weird case.
Speaker 1: Oh, thank you, Blake. It's as certainly an interesting one and I'm to be curious to continue following it and see what happens.
Speaker 3: Hey, is there are a good book people could look at about ghosts that you'd like to talk about or recommend.
Speaker 1: Yes, there's a fantastic book. It's called Haunting America. Really yes, And I might have to write about this Gary, Indiana demon story one day for another chapter in maybe a sequel of this book. And if you want to read more about exorcisms and demonic possession and voodoo and Satanism, there's another great book that people should check out called God Bless America.
Speaker 3: All the same incredible art. I really enjoyed Hunting America. I learned from things which I mean, I'm always.
Speaker 1: Explained I learned some things because I tell you what, when I initially wrote the book, I wrote the various chapters, I went back and did more research, and just after a couple of years, a lot more information had come to light. And I will admit that sometimes I was wrong with some of the things I said, and just knowing that there's more to the story, I was able to really just explain a lot more things and really just get to the bottom of these stories and solve them.
Speaker 3: And well done, and well done. I apologize for saying I learned some things. My wife would kick me and say, you're arrogant, but I mean, I really have read a lot of books about this topic, and I was excited to get new material. So I think, good on you.
Speaker 1: Oh me too. You know, it was just amazing to just find this new evidence for each story. And there were times where I was stumped and I thought maybe I should drop this one because I just can't explain it, and then I'd find that bit of evidence that would explain a lot of things. It was a lot of fun to do.
Speaker 3: All right, Thanks again, more Monster. I'm Blake Smith, and you've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. In this episode, doctor Karen Stolesno and I discussed the Gary, Indiana demon case. Links to many elements of this story are in the show notes at monster talk dot org, a skeptic dot com. I did contact the hospital involved and they declined to comment for privacy reasons. I also reached out to the author of the story and she was not available for an interview prior to the time of this episode recording, but she is invited to be interviewed in the future if her interests and schedulell allow. In November twenty eleven, a Virginia man killed his daughter in an attempted exorcism. On January eighteenth, twenty fourteen, a Marilyn mother killed two of her children in an attempted exorcism. If you search the world news for stories of exorcisms that lead to death, you'll find many cases, many of them happening now in the twenty first century, where people are being killed or maimed because of this primitive, ignorant, and unsubstantiated belief that magical and visible creatures are controlling a family member. Isn't it time for people to learn some critical thinking skills? Isn't it possible that in a world of bounding with knowledge, we could also get a little wisdom. Monster Talk is an official podcast of Skeptic Magazine. The views expressed on this show are those of the hosts and my guests and do not represent the opinions of Skeptic Magazine or the Skeptic Society. Do you need a vacation from grim topics like the one we covered in today's episode. I know I do. Here's an idea. Why not join up for the first ever Monster Talk cruise. We're going to take one of our most popular guests, archaeologist Kenny Fader, to Atlantis. No seriously, there will be lectures about ancient aliens, the mysteries of Atlantis, and many entertainments. Plus you'll get to enjoy the luxury of the largest cruise ship in the world. Details on how you can join us for this amazing trip will be made available after March fifth. I've worked very hard to make this an affordable excursion, and I hope you're able to join us for what I expect to be a truly amazing journey. Please follow me at Twitter I'm Doctor Atlantis, and join our Facebook group where we discuss monster stories. Movies and media with other enthusiasts and listeners. Monster Talk theme music is by Peach Stealing Monkeys and thank you for listening.
Speaker 6: Did you know that you can now subscribe to Skeptic Magazine digitally? Just grab our free Skeptic Magazine app currently compatible with iOS, Android, PC, Mac, Kindlefire, Kindlefire HD, and BlackBerry Playbook. Head over to skeptic dot com slash Magazine slash app to find out more and download more of your favorite Skeptic content.
Speaker 1: Matthew and I tried to recreate it last night, and so we just did a recording of brushing a phone against our clothing.
Speaker 3: I thought I heard something just now. Was that a demon?
Speaker 1: A demon in a phone?
Speaker 5: Yes, hmmm,