Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 3: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 2: Let's wind it.
Speaker 4: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 2: So just thank you, give me are.
Speaker 5: Your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 6: This is world champion, Dodger, world champion thing.
Speaker 7: It put a small soft time they get up people.
Speaker 5: What they want to die to in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of a con. This ball's gone.
Speaker 7: You ready to go.
Speaker 6: To the grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven and go to the show. And now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 8: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers score resounding victory over the Athletics nineteen to two, the final score as the Dodgers score the season nineteen runs tonight and drove in, you know, drove home the point that they're not going to be pushed around by the A's After losing the first game of this series eleven to one, The Dodgers' nineteen runs on eighteen hits including five home runs, which is a season high. Last night was the season high hitting four home runs. They got home runs from four different players last night. Tonight they got home runs from four different players as well. Show Aotani who seems to play up to the crowd. I think we've noticed that in his first year and a half with the Dodgers, homers twice on his Babblehead Night and going back to last year when he hit a walk off Grand Slam against the Rockies that was his Bobblehead Night and he homered in his first Bobblehead Night as MVP Bobblehead Night this year, and tonight he goes deep twice and after his first home run in the third inning, first time I've ever seen O'tani seek out his family. They have a suite just above the Dodgers dugout. He pointed towards there. I couldn't see whether or not Decoy or his baby girls up there with his wife, but he certainly had them on his mind as he was pointing up towards them. Also a big game for Hayes Sung Kim, who did not homer, but was on base five times and scored four times. Also a special night for Dalton Rushing as he made his major league debut, made his first major league start, and also collected his first major league hit in the third inning. One hundred and ten miles an hour up the middle, Rushing scored three times and certainly did a nice job. He was in command behind the plate, catching Matt Sower, Anthony Banda, and Justin Robleski tonight to help the Dodgers beat the A nineteen to two and take the series two out of three. Let's head downstairs right now to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from young Dalton Rushing.
Speaker 9: It's pretty special. It was pretty special. Obviously, first and foremost to win, it's a series win, it's the most important part. But I was able to accomplish a few lifelong goals, and yeah, obviously that was pretty special for me.
Speaker 10: He's walked us to that at that in the third hitting with the single kind of what we're going through your mind there?
Speaker 9: Yeah, I don't think he wanted to walk me and walk me twice start my debut. I was tuady, hit a fastball and got a good one to hit, put a good swing on it. Things went my way.
Speaker 5: How long have you been thinking about this moment. What was it like the bolt of reality? Yeah, my whole life.
Speaker 9: It's been something that obviously I wanted to do at a very young age. Never in a million years did I imagine it would come with a team like this, So yeah, that just that makes it that much more special. And yeah, I'm looking forward to a lot more wins and a lot more big opportunities and big things that happen this year.
Speaker 5: And the only kind of your family A couple.
Speaker 9: Of times sharing just how special was then just kind.
Speaker 1: Of where they travel here to see your debut.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was obviously pretty special. A group of people that in this world that I want to see things like this, they were here and that means the world for me or to me. Sorry, And yeah, I couldn't imagine a better group there to be able to see it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you have the hardest hit ball tonight and go two for four at the walk.
Speaker 2: I got a snapshot of how you kind of want to help this team.
Speaker 1: Daves's some slugging there, but just kind of your approach to the play tonight.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it was kind of simple tonight. Let's take your bise hads, I guess. Yeah, I like to control the strike zone and just hit the ball hard and whatever happens after that kind of happens.
Speaker 10: So what's it like being in this lineup? Just look all the talent there is. Being a part of like an offensive performance like that, Like those are just like kind of being a government and watching the whole team performing that way to play.
Speaker 9: Yeahs special. Obviously you getta win like that on your debut. It's it kind of sends a message obviously not only to myself but other teams around like how how powerful and how dangerous this club is. And I'm glad I could be another piece to it.
Speaker 8: All Right, there's Dalton Rushing after making his major league debuts, starting at catcher for the Dodgers and collecting his first major league hit. Rushing scored three times tonight. Scored three of the Dodgers nineteen runs eight six, six ninety seven two five seventy is the phone number. Like I said last night, it's bittersweet for a lot of the veterans in that Dodger clubhouse that I've been with Austin Barnes for as long as they have. I mean, he meant a lot to those guys, and he meant a lot to the Dodgers. If you look back to the seventeen, eighteen, and twenty World Series, he caught more games in the postseason. Then he has money Grandahal and Will Smith. So he mean he meant a lot. He meant a lot. But obviously, you know, careers don't last forever. Austin's thirty five years old. Had issues with his right arm throwing, and that's a big part of the game. And the time is now for Dalton Rushing. And like I said, bittersweet in a couple of different ways, it was cool to see Dalton rushing and taking photos with his family and friends just about a half hour ago. It was even more epic watching Dalton Rushing take batting practice before the game today and launching home runs halfway up the right field pavilions. So you're gonna see a lot of that. And he's a competitor. He's not here to be a backup catcher. He's here to force the issue, to try to get as many at bats as possible to help the Dodgers win eight six, six, seven two. He is the phone number. We'll get to a few other things that I want to talk about in a moment. Also, you'll hear our conversation with Clayton Kershaw ahead of his season debut on Saturday against the Angels.
Speaker 5: Let's go out to Whittier.
Speaker 8: Deborah, You're on Dodger Talk Live from Dodger Stadium.
Speaker 5: Hi Deborah, Hi David.
Speaker 11: How are you? Love you?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 5: Thank you, Debrah.
Speaker 11: I like when you're on Tim Conway Show. I listen to you all the time.
Speaker 5: Ding dong, Thank you.
Speaker 11: I just want to say, you put your heart on usually when it comes to the Dodgers, and I just want to give a shout out to next Monday tonight.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And Max Monsey yep, yep.
Speaker 11: So I thank you very very much.
Speaker 5: All right, Deborah, thank you for the phone call. Appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 8: Max Monsey had a big night three for four tonight with another home running homeward last night to nighty Homer's in the first inning. So you know, like I always say, everybody was calling for the Dodgers to cut next monthly after two weeks a lot of you and I don't really see anybody and did not hear from anybody last.
Speaker 5: Night or the night before or the night before.
Speaker 8: That, celebrating Andy Paz who has come alive after so many of you, after such a slow start and a couple of misplays in the outfield, wanted to get rid of Andy pah haz and say, you know what this guy stinks. Get rid of this guy Andy Pa has? Where are all my Andy Pa has? Haters?
Speaker 1: Now?
Speaker 8: He homered again tonight. He had three RBIs. He's sitting two ninety one on the season with no ps of eight fifty one. It's still a long season, but you're starting to see the signs of growth, and you're starting to see the signs of a guy that's put in a lot of work even as the season is going on. He's put in a lot of work with Dino Ebel in center field. He's put in a lot of work on the basis, and he looks really comfortable filling in for Taoscar Hernandez obviously in right field. So where are all my Andy Pa has haters? Because you were filling up these phone lines the first two weeks of the year when I said pump the brakes, it's only been two weeks.
Speaker 5: Give this guy a chance.
Speaker 8: I don't hear too many people eating crow and calling in. If you want to call in and start ripping players after two weeks, you better call in when they succeed and prove you wrong. Let's go out to John, who was at the game tonight. I hope you stayed for all nineteen runs tonight, John.
Speaker 1: Oh, I stayed for every run. I gotta tell you. I was talking with my friend Erica, who came in from New York specifically for the game tonight, and I turned her and I said, why would the Dodgers send down or you know, designate for assignment Austin Barnes when they could, when they could have a designated outman for a assignment because his batting average was point zero sixty seven. And she turned to me and said, no, it's actually point zero five to six. And then a moment later he blasts the home run. And of course that's why I'm not in the front office of the Dodgers, because you know, they make the right decisions. But you know, Saturday, well I understand that, but Saturday curse. I was pitching, and it would be really nice if his buddy, Austin Barnes was behind the plate. So I think that's a you know, that's a shame, but you know, we move on. It was an incredible night. My question to you, David, is has Shoe a Otani hit a home run on every bobblehead night that he's had in his career, Because I mean, you call it a rivalry. I loved what you said about the so called rivalry because there is no rivalry with the Angels and the Dodgers. The Angels are the worst franchise, one of the worst franchises you know in the you know, in baseball.
Speaker 5: Ever since they said go about it, Mike Soosha, they are.
Speaker 1: Oh, of course, you know they're lucky World Series against the Giants years ago. Aside from that, we call it anyway.
Speaker 8: Anyway, that's what Major League Baseball is touting this weekend to try to bring attention to the different series. It's not just Dodgers Angels, it's Giants, a's up in the Bay Area, Mets Yankees Subway series. So they lined up the schedule for this weekend to tout it as a rivalry weekend. John, Since you're a big Dodger fan, why don't you tell me which Dodger has the most hits against the Angels since inter league play started?
Speaker 5: Who do you think it is?
Speaker 12: Wait?
Speaker 1: Since inter league play started?
Speaker 2: You know in history.
Speaker 8: Yeah, back in ninety eight or whatever. Who has the most hits the Dodgers against the Angels. Which Dodger player has the most hits against the Angels?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 1: Well, I have to give a shout out, simple quesh Jay, Eric Carros. Well, Eric Carros had the greatest you had They had to buy time on Spectrum tonight, and he had the greatest story about Tommy Lasorda. That needs to be shared with Petros. Well, when you're a guest host on that show with the Petros Money Show, it is the greatest story in the history of Tommy Lasorda stories. It is Eric Carros's first up at that all his major league career.
Speaker 5: That's a great story. That is a great story.
Speaker 8: I'd rather hear I'd rather hear Eric Carros tell the story instead of John coming from the game.
Speaker 5: So thank you for the phone call.
Speaker 8: John, not surprising, he's a Petros and Money listener.
Speaker 5: Yeah says a lot anyway.
Speaker 8: The Dodger that has the most hits against the Angels since inter league play started is the one and only Andre Ethier with fifty five hits against the Angels since inter league play started. Let's go out to Johnny in La. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodger Stadium. How are you doing, Johnny?
Speaker 5: That was exhausting that last phone call.
Speaker 9: Thanks for taking my call, Dave.
Speaker 2: I was at the game tonight. I just want to talk about.
Speaker 7: This Kim situation.
Speaker 11: I think he deserves a.
Speaker 3: Spot on this team.
Speaker 1: I was at the game last night. I was at the game tonight.
Speaker 11: He was two for two before he can pulled it yesterday.
Speaker 3: Three for three today with four runs, on base for five times.
Speaker 2: I just think he deserves a spot.
Speaker 13: I think he can start there at second base when Tommy and Tail come back.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that, Johnny?
Speaker 8: You're one hundred percent right. I was trying to, you know, be rational. I know a lot of times I get emotional, So I was trying to air on being rational last night. But after seeing Kim play again tonight and get on base five times, score four times. I score from first base on a base hit by Mookie Betts to left field, the Dodgers have got to keep this guy somehow, some way.
Speaker 5: James Outman is going to be sent down.
Speaker 8: Whenever the first player comes off the il, whether it's Ti Oscar Hernandez, or Tommy Edmund. Sorry, that's the reality of the thing. Also, the only other player that may or may not be you know, dfade is Chris Taylor, right, I mean he doesn't play a lot, but I don't believe the Dodgers are going to do that. I notice Chris Taylor has a heavy knee brace on his left leg. That must be bothering him to have something like that. There's a possibility the Dodgers put Chris Taylor on the injured list with that left knee leg whatever is going on with him, and keep Hayesan Kim. But either way, Johnny Hayesan Kim's on this roster for good for the rest of the and there will be opportunities because when ta Oscar Hernandez and Tommy Edmond come back. We all know the Dodgers slow play these guys. They play him two games on one game off, So they'll be opportunities for Kim in a lot of different ways to give players breathers. So I'm all in on Haysan Kim staying part of this roster.
Speaker 3: YEP, especially bad and for twenty nine with about twenty eight at bats, it's sham.
Speaker 8: I mean, his speed changes everything and he's an elite defender at second base, so he's got to stay and look, father time catches up with everybody, and it appears that it caught up with Austin Barnes, and it appears that it's catching up with Chris Taylor. Now, Barnes and Taylor are two separate cases in a lot of ways, but there's still mainstay since twenty seventeen, Barnes even before that. These guys have a championship resume. But the reality is Dave Roberts isn't playing Chris Taylor barely, and when they're at full strength, all Chris Taylor was doing was pinch running. If I need a pinch runner, I'm picking Hay Sun Kim these days. So yeah, it's tough when you're at a crossroads with certain players that have been part of the team for a long time.
Speaker 5: It's really tough.
Speaker 8: And it's a testament to the Dodgers having so much success and keeping a group of players together for a long time.
Speaker 5: It wasn't easy.
Speaker 8: When the Dodgers traded aj Ellis back in twenty sixteen. Remember that you want to talk about a gut punch to the clubhouse that was tougher for Kershaw and others to swallow back in twenty sixteen, but they got through it. It was tough when the Dodgers said goodbye to Justin Turner and decided to go in a different direction. So these things are not easy and it never ends well. It rarely ends well in sports. So it's tough. And I'm sensitive to Austin Barnes, sensitive with Chris Taylor. Both great guys, both great champions and teammates. But you know, the Dodgers want to keep winning, and you got to do if you're in Andrew Friedman's position, he is in such a tough spot because he traded for Austin Barnes. He kept Austin Barnes on the team for eleven years as a backup catcher. Austin earned it, of course, but nonetheless, very rarely do you see backup catchers stay with the same team for eleven years. The Dodgers picked up Chris Taylor for Zach Lee from the Mariners in a trade in twenty sixteen, and Chris Taylor turned into Chris Taylor, and the Dodgers rewarded him with a very lucrative contract four years, sixty million dollars. So Andrew Freeman is taken care of these guys in more ways than one. Eight six six seven two five seventy is the phone number. Let's head back downstairs to the Dodger Clubhouse to hear from another two time World Series champion, Max Muncy, who's proving a lot of doubters wrong recently.
Speaker 13: I'm still working on it, but you know, the last you know, really last week felt you know, closer, and you know, you try to take a day by day, you try to build on the good things, and right now that's what I'm focusing on.
Speaker 1: Does it feel like as a team as a whole there's something there as well?
Speaker 3: I mean, especially when look at these last few games, just whether it's the runs or really just the offensive performance.
Speaker 1: The probably that pats you've been seeing.
Speaker 13: Yeah, guys is just you know, not trying to do too much up there. You know, it was a long road trip. The guys are really tired and get back home finally, and uh, you know, it sounds crazy to say, but I think the off day through of one for a little bit of a wrench. Sometimes that can happen when you start getting into the groove and you know, so the first game was a little bit a dub, but then the boys bounce back and it's a I just think as a group, everyone's just trying to stay with them themselves and just trying to move the ball and move the stick. And it's been pretty successful for us.
Speaker 5: Nineteen runs in a big nig game.
Speaker 3: You don't see that. It all kinds of what's you like, it's kind of almost like a little leage weird here.
Speaker 5: You have to pile up runs like that.
Speaker 13: It's fun, it's fun. It's you know, it's always good to put up those numbers. You know, you get the position player coming into the game. I don't know that anyone wants those abats, but you know it's that's a sign that you're doing good things. And you know, if that was a fun game, you get to watch a lot of people have a lot of really good at bats and you know, just fun all around.
Speaker 5: Back to back games and homers for you. You feel like something's clicking now with the play possibly.
Speaker 13: You know, still just trying to take a day by day and uh, you know, still working through some things, still trying to understand some things, and it's uh, you know, definitely getting closer, but you try to build on positives. That's what I'm gonna do.
Speaker 5: All right, there's Max Mounsey.
Speaker 8: Thanks to sports in at LA for bringing that funky monthy to us after he went three for four tonight and homered in the first inning. Two home runs in the last two games for the Dodger third basement. Certainly a good sign. And look, I feel like Freddie Freeman said it the best after he was asked about Munsey hitting his first home run of the year on the last homestand he said, look, he's a power hitter. It's always good to see a guy that's a power hitter hit a home run. That was a big weight off of Monsey's shoulders. And he went to the same eye doctor h to get Doctor Lou that key Y Hernandez went to see last year.
Speaker 5: And he's wearing these prescription.
Speaker 8: Goggles now, so hopefully that helps him see the baseball better like it helped Key k A last year. And look, there's a resume and Max Munsey isn't going anywhere. He serves a purpose to this lineup. But look, you got to produce. We're getting closer to June. If you don't start picking it up. The Dodgers are going to start looking for alternatives, and we've already seen Dave Roberts go to Key Hernandez when there's a lefty on the mound. Let's go out to Hacienda Heights. Gee, you're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi g.
Speaker 1: Hi.
Speaker 12: I the game today and I was sitting in loads, sitting in front of someone who was talking smack about Max Monthy saying that we should send him down, which they clearly don't know what they're talking about, because that's not how that works.
Speaker 5: No, it's great when the tourists tided Dodgers Stadium, isn't it.
Speaker 11: Yeah, tourist is a.
Speaker 12: Nice way to put it. But you know, as soon as he hit the home run, I really wanted to stare that person down and give him the Mookie scream from last night.
Speaker 5: That was great last night. I love seeing that from Mookie.
Speaker 12: Yeah, But real quick on where I was when Freddy Freeman hit that Grand Slam last year?
Speaker 8: Oh, you've been listening, guess I want to hear that from anybody anytime. Where you were when Freddy Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam last season?
Speaker 12: So what do you got g Yeah, I wasn't not the game, unfortunately, but was at a friend's house.
Speaker 2: I thought he popped it up.
Speaker 12: But then oh, really, hearing the.
Speaker 8: Screaming with the bat, with him holding that bat up, you thought he popped it up.
Speaker 1: Here's the thing I blocked out.
Speaker 2: Well, so I.
Speaker 12: Blocked out for a second, and next thing you know, he's like flexing at the bullpen. And yeah, so I guess somehow I knew, but I guess at first I thought you pop it up.
Speaker 8: But anyway, isn't it cool? There are so many parallels to Kirk Gibson's home run in eighty eight to Freddie Freeman's walk off Grand Slam last year. You just mentioned him flexing too the bullpen. That basically was his Gibson's pumping the fist rounding second base. So they're not the same guy, they don't have the same personality, but there are certain parallels. Freddie hit it in the same section that Kirk Gibson hit his home run, Joe Davis had a great call like Vince Scully had on national television, and look, I mean both guys were hobbled by serious injuries and still delivered. So there are so many parallels between those two historic home runs Grand Slams in Game one of the World Series for the Dodgers. All right, gee, thank you for the phone call. Hey, I just went back to last year. I mean, I'm a nostalgic guy. The players know that I'm nostalgic. And when I talked to Chris Taylor, I get nostalgic. When I talked to Austin Barnes and Kershaw and Muncie, I'm nostalgic. I have a long memory. Those guys did a lot for the Dodgers and are still doing it. So, uh, don't forget that. Let's go out to Tucker and Santa Anna. You're on Dodger Talk with David vasse Hi.
Speaker 14: Tucker, Howdy, David, thanks for taking my call.
Speaker 1: My question is.
Speaker 14: Do you think that freedmen and the Dodgers are still planning not to buy it the deadline. I know that was kind of his goal. Obviously, pitching staff's been hit with a lot of injuries. I clearly we're still in first I don't think we really need to, But what are your thoughts on that sentiment from the beginning?
Speaker 5: Number one?
Speaker 8: Tucker that he never said they they don't want to buy it the dead line. He'd prefer not to have to dive into the high price bidding for starting pitchers at the deadline. Number two, it's May fifteenth. A lot can happen between now and July thirty first, So that's a hard question for me to answer. What I will say is I kind of feel like if there was one guy that I thought could help the Dodgers if they sell, because the Cardinals are actually doing surprisingly well at this point in time in the season. No, not Nolan Arenado, but their closer who is on his final year of his deal, Ryan Helsley. He could help the Dodger bullpen with the injuries to Blake Trining and Evan Phillips.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: Yeah, they've got a good start, right. I guess the hard part is everybody's in the everybody's in the race until the end with the new wildcard format, so makes sense.
Speaker 8: Yeah, especially in a mediocre and NOL Central and a mediocre American league this year so far.
Speaker 5: Nice for the phone call, Tucker, appreciate it.
Speaker 8: Speaking of the Dodger bullpen, they have not had Michael Kopek all year long. I believe Kopek made his third rehab appearance yesterday. He still probably got three more before he joins the Dodgers, but that's a great sign that he's actually in rehab games and he probably has to pitch back to back games before the Dodgers clear him to come back to the major league. So that's a big deal to get Michael Kopek back, especially with the injuries to Evan Phillips and Blake Trinen. Another bullpen piece that could help the Dodgers that hasn't made his major league debut yet is Linguini. That's his nickname, Nick Frosso at a Rancho Pallas Verdez who is unbelievable in spring training. He's really coming into his own. I feel like you're gonna see Nick frosso at some point come out of the bullpen to either be a multi.
Speaker 5: Inning reliever or whatever the.
Speaker 8: Dodgers need from him, because he's starting games at Oklahoma City and he's a he's a he's a guy. He was really impressive in spring training, so is Dalton Rushing. And in case you didn't catch this, because he's got the mask on, but when he came to the plate, he had that uh that I don't want to say, creepy looking mustache, but he had a mustache and we hadn't seen that mustache a lot. And he filled me in on why he has that neatly groom mustache. A lot of great guys at Triple A, great teammates, right Gotier, Alex Freeland, Hunter Fiduccia. I guess they have something going on at Triple A, and uh, Dalton Rushing filled me in on it because that's the first thing I noticed when I saw him yesterday. He told me that they have something going at Oklahoma City amongst the comets down there, that if you don't go over and back to back games, you grow out this mustache. So Dalton and Rushing hasn't had back to back games without a hit in quite some time.
Speaker 5: So that's why he has that mustache.
Speaker 8: So that's the behind the story on the Dalton Rushing neatly groom stash tonight in his major league debut. Let's go out to San Diego. Gustavo, you're on Dodger Talk with David basse Hi.
Speaker 5: Gustavo, Hey, how you doing, David?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just wanted to reiterate some points. Yeah, I just wanted to reiterate some points made about Chris Taylor and Barnesy. Yeah, I just wanted to say, I think it's I think it's somewhat rare and rather unique for a GM president of Baseball offs like Andrew Friedman to have the resources he has but also be so plugged into the clubhouse. You know, Taylor and Barnes are two guys that you know, like Roberts was mentioning our two professionals, and I think a lot of fans can kind of look at Barnes and the lack of offense and say, hey, well, we have a guy, you know in Triple A Dalton who's really proven himself. Why don't we just make the change. But you know, having some patience, letting Dalton figure out some stuff and really come up at the appropriate time, I think is the right move to keep.
Speaker 2: The ship steady.
Speaker 3: So I just wanted to, you know, reiterate that point and say, I think it's it's wise the way they've gone about it. I think for the long term, probably a smart a smart move, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Gustavo.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it's tough when you're in Andrew Friedman's position. It's hard to ignore the struggles. Austin Barnes was having throwing out base runners, which is a big part of the game now.
Speaker 5: And you know I said this last night. I'll say it again.
Speaker 8: Austin Barnes has never told me that he needed some sort of surgical procedure to fix his shoulder his arm, but you have to imagine that that was the issue. He he doesn't just stop throwing. He's a ballplayer, major league player.
Speaker 5: He can throw.
Speaker 8: But I feel like there was something going on that he was trying to avoid structurally in his elbow, his shoulder, something like that to prevent him from being able to throw the way we know he can throw the last three years. So whatever it was, it it cost him unfortunately.
Speaker 5: All Right, thanks for the phone call, Gustavo.
Speaker 8: Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number you're gonna hear my full conversation with Clayton Kershaw coming up at the at eleven twenty.
Speaker 5: But here's what Clayton said today.
Speaker 8: Uh, because we spoke to Clayton before the Dodgers decided to dfa Austin Barnes after the first game of this series. Here's what Clayton Kershaw had to say today about the catcher that caught the second most games from the future Hall of Famer.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think everybody was surprised then. Yeah, I mean, I'm it's sad. You know, Barnesy's one of my best friends on or off the field, and you won't find a guy that competes better than Austin Barnes. He wants to win more than anybody, and he always found a way and he came up with some big moments for us throughout the years. I think a lot of people forget he was starting a lot of playoff games and winning a lot of games for us, getting big knocks, and so yeah, it's it's sad to see someone like that go, who's been here that long, and I think we all kind of feel it, and so it's you know, it's no disrespect to Dalton, you know, I know he deserves it and he's he's going to be a great player. It's just, you know, for me personally, I think for a lot of guys on the team, it was it was disappointing to see him go.
Speaker 8: No doubt, That's what I got from a few players that I spoke to. They were shocked when they heard the news. The Dodgers called Barnes into the office after the first game of the series and told him they were going in a different direction. But nonetheless, they got great chemistry guys still on this team in taoscar Hernandez, Hayesan Kim's a great teammate, Blake Snell even though he's not pitching, good teammate, Dalton Rushing's a great teammate, Will Smith solid. I mean, they got enough guys that can keep this going. It's a machine at this point, let's be honest, and it just keeps moving forward towards trying to win another World Series championship. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll check in with Jose Mota and you'll hear my full conversation with Clayton Kershaw about his season debut Right around the corner on Saturday against the Angels.
Speaker 5: Far from over. That's the theme.
Speaker 8: Of Kershaw and Frank stallone Dodgers tonight route the A's nineteen to two on a five to seventy LA Sports.
Speaker 7: Dodger Talk is available on AM five seventy LA sports dot Com hand on the iHeartRadio app. Back to more Dodger talk with Dodger insider David Basse.
Speaker 8: Here's a three one bitch and Otani Justin Hammers won the center failed hit his back.
Speaker 2: It is gone his second home run of the night.
Speaker 8: Show Hey Otani getting it done with the home run to center field.
Speaker 5: It is fifteen to.
Speaker 15: Two show Heyotani showing out on another Bobblehead night. Two home runs for Show Tani tonight as he's able to uh lead the way. Six RBIs for show Heo Tani Tonight a two homer night and he has a flare for the dramatics and even on a bobblehead night, he has the flare for the dramatics and delivers and what the fans want to see. The Dodgers hit five home runs tonight, two from Otani. The other Dodgers to homer tonight were Months Autman and Andy Pahez As the Dodgers score the most runs they have scored all season long, nineteen runs, and also the nineteen runs the most runs any Dodger team has scored against an al opponent in the Dodger franchise history. Daniel Steelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniel Steeler's gift card predicting.
Speaker 8: The number of home runs in the very next game. Daniels Jewelers own the Dream. Coming up in about ten minutes, you'll hear from Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 5: But first it's time to go around the Horn with Jose Mota Mucha Moda.
Speaker 8: Tonight again on Dodger Talk, after Jose Moda completed his first series filling in for Rick Monday this season, Jose nineteen runs, how you feeling? Did you need an IV after a game like tonight?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: Nah?
Speaker 2: You know the best thing is that games like tonight a lot of people say, well, we're gonna you know, what else can you talk about? Well, there's a lot of stories to tell, and Tim and I were obviously talking about things that are relevant to the game, but still things that really tie you up to the game. So in that case, it's great to see your team on the winning side with these because the story is at a lot easier. But man, it was pretty much an exhibit of what a powerful team and a powerful lineup.
Speaker 8: This is no doubt, and it starts with the MVP Show. Hey Otani, his two home runs tonight against the A's gives him twenty two career home runs against the A's, no matter where what city they're playing. Again, that's the most home runs, he said, against any other team since coming to Major League Baseball. What is it about the A's that brings out the best in Otani?
Speaker 2: I don't know. It might be the fact that that's the first team he ever faced as a hitter, first team he ever faced a a pitcher, and the many many times he has to face him as an angel. But it's good to see show him make adjustments. And the biggest adjuncts was when Beadole got him by the way against Beadle, zero for five career now with Reestrackhouse, but then he got himself back into Okay, I gotta go out there and cut it down and just get the zone down a little bit more, and from there on it was a different story when shoy is on. And I've always told you today, when you see home run's going to center field like you have seen the last couple of weeks. Something's happening and we're seeing it right now in full display.
Speaker 8: I was on the field earlier today and someone made the case to me on why Hay Sun Kim belongs in the major leagues and not to be sent down to Oklahoma City to get playing time. After your what you saw tonight, Jose, are you convinced that Hay Sung Kim is here to stay?
Speaker 2: Yes, and I was convinced. I'll say this the way I actually talked to a Dodger executive in spring training about had it been a normal spring training he would have been a starting second basement for the Dodgers. There's no doubt in my mind. There's no doubt in my mind. He needed a little bit more time obviously than came. The trip to Japan and all those things that we know went on. So the time down there he spent doing things that he needed to do to become a better player. But the weaponcy brings are so valuable. They change a game, They change your defense, they change an inning, they change how the lineup turns around to give guys Michael Tani and Muki Betz and Fredie Freeman a chance to hit again. And that is something you just cannot put a price on it. There's no analytics side to this. But he is a pure baseball guy that understands what to do, is going to get better and more experienced. That's very successful in the KBO for many years for a reason. He knows how to play the game, and he understands the game. He understands his role, and there's no doubt in my mind he brings a lot. So you know what, let it be one of those kids. Well, you have so much talent that it becomes a great problem. But boy, what a great problem to have.
Speaker 8: Huh, Well, that's the biggest thing, right Jose. How many times did we talk about it through the first six weeks of the season, where the bottom two hitters, we're not flipping the lineup over for Otani, Betts and Freeman. And now you have this guy Hay Sun Kim that not only is doing that, but creating havoc and distracting the pictures for guys like Otani.
Speaker 2: You know, and talking to Dave Roberts about that, think about this. The decision might come down to that, what is the best option to keep your lineup? You know, lithened the longest lineup you can have, and it might be that you need that presence of speed or in contact, a guid that so far in a short stint, you know, in your short sample size, has shown the ability to also not get not let the woman get too big with men's scoring position by playing his game. So the value that he brings, it's obviously much more feasible and much more noticeable on the field when he's playing. But if it happens from the bench limited time, then for sure there's going to be a role for him.
Speaker 8: Jose Mota is joining us after the Dodgers put thumping on the A's tonight nineteen to two. The Dodgers hid five home runs tonight, including two from show Heyo Tani Dalton Rushing also made his major league debuts starting a catcher for the Dodgers tonight. What stood out to you about Rushing tonight in his first major league game.
Speaker 2: How calm he was. He was not in a hurry, he was not searching for bassage. He was searching for good at bats. He had very productive at bats. And then beyond that, I'm watching batting practice and as you mentioned, he's sitting balls that are you know, carrying halfway up that pavilion and then behind the plate, he caught guys that he's caught before, and the way he posises his body by an home player, it's quite interesting, a little bit of a throwback. He wuled a knee down and the fact that it seems like he did his homework on these A's and paid a lot of attention to what they've a were talked about before the game today on that lineup, because it seems like obviously not putting fingers down anymore. But whatever he was calling vocation wise or pitch sequencing was appropriate to go out to neutralized. The A's were very aggressive on first pitch. They hit the ball the other way very hard, and they, as Mark Tosse told me, we don't want to get on base by walking one to swing the bats. So what do you do with teams like that? You counteract up by making quality pitches and mixing it, especially on the first pitch. So he was in tune with everybody on the own and was able to really present the ball quite well and really animated behind the play. So you have two leaders behind the plate and you have a catcher that's gonna be aware of what pitches need to do. And Will Smith for sure as a guy that's done it before, but he brings a little energy behind the play that I think it's quite good.
Speaker 5: No doubt.
Speaker 8: He brings a lot of edge and that's a pretty good catching combo. The Dodgers have moving forward with Will Smith and Dalton Rushing right left, and certainly Rushing is not satisfied being Will Smith's backup, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: Jose.
Speaker 2: You got you got to always admra guy that's so intune what's going on. And he knew exactly what was going on last year when he was as a play left field and why, and he was in tunis to what was going on this year too. So I admire guys like this one are hungry, pay attention, to do the homework, and they're never satisfied.
Speaker 5: That's you, Jose Moda.
Speaker 8: We'll see you tomorrow, hungry and humble tomorrow night in the broadcast booth as the Dodgers and Angels hook up for the Freeway Series.
Speaker 2: Thanks for the clock today, nineteen or two, David, two thirty seven? Game time?
Speaker 1: Come on.
Speaker 2: That's wonderful. Huh ah.
Speaker 5: There's no clock in baseball, Jose.
Speaker 2: You need it, actually, there is right.
Speaker 5: Thanks Jose, we'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 8: There he goes Jose Moda, who was filling in for Rick Monday again. And Rick will rejoin us next week after returns from being with family for a family wedding out there in Florida. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. I just a couple of things watching Dalton Rushing and spring training and watching what he did tonight.
Speaker 5: He just has a presence about him.
Speaker 8: And the biggest thing that stood out to me and our conversations and spring training is that picture catcher relationship that Mike Soosha always talked about when he was catching more games than any other catcher in Dodger history. Steve Yeager, another legendary Dodger catcher, always talked about that as well, that picture catcher relationship. You can't just be there behind the plate and not know who he got on the mound. Dalton Rushing just offered this to me about how every picture is different, every guy's different, what makes every guy tick is different, what happens in the middle of the game is different, and you've got to adapt. So those are the things that really stood out to me about a young man that at the time had not even played one game in Major League Baseball, but tonight he had a presence about himself and certainly not only had it behind the plate as a catcher, but when he stepped in the batter's box, a lot of confidence. And that's what everybody tells me about Dalton Rushing, and you could feel it when you talk to him. He's not short on self confidence. He's that is number one, which is a big key to feel like you belong and that's gonna take him a long way. A guy that is humble and hungry even after three Cy Young Awards and an MVP and two World Series Championships. His future Hall of Famer Clayton Kershaw, had a chance to catch up with him a couple of days ago and wanted to share with you our full conversation about him coming back and pitching for his eighteenth season. He made his major league debut in two thousand and eight, and he will be on the mound Saturday against the Angels.
Speaker 5: Wow, what an intro.
Speaker 2: Thanks Dave.
Speaker 4: Good to be back.
Speaker 5: It's been a long road. It hasn't been easy.
Speaker 8: How gratifying is it that that moment is coming up here Saturday.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you're right, it's been a hard one for sure, But yeah, I'm super excited to get back out here. More than anything, just tired of taking up space, you know, I want to I want to contribute. I want to help the team out, and so I'm I'm excited to get out there and start getting some people out and uh, you know, making a positive contribution.
Speaker 8: Even though it was rehab assignments in the minor leagues. How good did it feel to be out there and actually pitching again.
Speaker 4: Well, it feel good to be focused on pitching, you know. I think, you know, the last few times I pitched last year just focused on how much my foot was hurting, you know, And so I think now kind of shifting the gears towards just how do I get people out and you know, just focusing more on the next pitch as opposed to what hurts as nice you know. So, yeah, physically I feel good and it's been a it's been a hard road, but now that we're kind of on the tail end of that and starting the new chapter of actually getting the pitch has been Uh, it is exciting.
Speaker 5: When you set out on this rehab assignment.
Speaker 8: You talked about the toe cooperating, the foot cooperating.
Speaker 5: How long did you have to kick it before it cooperated?
Speaker 4: I still kick it. I still kick it is cooperating, you know. I think, Yeah, the last two weeks especially, I would say that I can feel the strength coming back a little bit and I feel like I can use it a little bit better. So I think it'll just continue to get better with time, and the more reps I get, the better. So no time like the president to start start getting some reps.
Speaker 8: Even though you've had the career that you've had, you're coming back from a couple of surgeries on the same leg to get the results you got. Did that mean something to you? Did it validate anything that maybe you had doubts about?
Speaker 4: Well, I think anytime you can get people out, you know, I think that's important. And so that's why I enjoy going to Triple A because it's like, you know, these these guys are all good hitters, they're all, you know, right on the cusp with being big leaguers. So it kind of gives some feedback right away. And obviously it's not the big leagues, but it's important to get that feedback. And I'll get some more feedback on Saturday for sure.
Speaker 8: Hey, the feedback that I saw, I mean, I was happy to see it.
Speaker 5: That was an old school kershaw coming off the.
Speaker 8: Mound like you did, and turning and throwing to make a play off the mound.
Speaker 5: I mean, and that's who you are. I mean, did you know you still had that?
Speaker 4: I just it's only in there if I need it. I guess I don't practice that too much. But no, that was that was a fun play. And yeah, I guess it's a good sign that the foot feels good, So it's great.
Speaker 8: I'm going to ask you a question that people keep asking me. What motivates you at this stage of your career to go through all this to come back?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, I think I think not letting an injury be the reason I stopped. I think that's probably the main thing. Look, if I get out there and get sheld and I'm not any good anymore and just the time is to the time, then that's one thing. But I don't want it to be because I didn't rehab an injury well or I let something get the best of me, you know, so if another hitter gets the best of me, that's one thing. But I'm not going to let myself do it to myself, if that makes sense, And so that's I think that's the biggest motivating factor. Another one is my family. You know, I think Ellen and my kids, they're both they all they all want me to keep going. And Allen's super supportive of wanting me to do it as long as I can, as long as I want to, And so I mean if she wasn't as supportive as she was, it'd be a lot harder. So I think that's a huge motivating factor too.
Speaker 8: Before I let you go, when you look at this team and where it's at when you come back on Saturday, do you look at it from from a ninety degree angle, looking down and seeing how it all comes together?
Speaker 5: How do you look at this team right now?
Speaker 4: I look at it. You know, I've been watching the games on TV just like everybody else, and it's a great team, you know. I think, you know, forty games in you can see a lot of things that are going really well. And for me personally, I just want to be a part of it. So I'm excited to start contributing and hopefully for a long time all the way through October, No doubt.
Speaker 5: Far from over, Kershaw. Don't forget it.
Speaker 4: I hear you. I like it. Thanks Dave.
Speaker 8: All right, there's Clayton Kershaw. You got his thoughts on a lot of different things right there. What is the motivating factor? That was the biggest takeaway for me? And I think we can all understand that a guy like him that is headed to Cooperstown and has been so competitive and in some way stubborn in his career does not want to let injuries set him into retirements. So good for Clayton Kershaw. Far from over in his major league career as he continues to push forward. It all begins Saturday against the Angels. That'll do it for us Tonight on Dodger Talk. Coming up tomorrow, Dustin May will be on the mound in the opener of the series against the Halos, going up against right hander Jack Kohanowitz, who is two and five with an ERA of five twenty three. In case you haven't been keeping up with the Halos, they're in last place in the Al West, which is not a very good division. Tomorrow night, Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock with first pitch at seven to ten from Dodgers Stadium. Thanks to klin Ye back at our burd Bank Studios, Thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at stadium, and thanks to you for hanging out with us late night after the Dodgers score a season high nineteen runs tonight and beat the Athletics nineteen to two. Coming up next, Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 5: See ya, Send it away