Speaker 1: This weekend.
Speaker 2: If you're like, I'm missing the Ben and Skin Show. I need a few laughs, you can go to the iHeart app. It's entirely free. Go to Ben and skin Show and you'll find all of our segments there in little twelve minute pods, just waiting for you to enjoy. This segment right here is brought to you by Hurtado Barbecue out in the eight one seven in Mansfield. There's Fort Worth, there's Arlington, two locations at Globallyefield, one coming soon to Dallas. It's Brandon Hurtado's family recipes passed down from generations. There spin on Mexicue Mexican barbecue at Hurtado Barbecue.
Speaker 1: It is elite. But right now it's time for this SKO listeners. Here comes kt fun tweets around.
Speaker 2: Now, let's come around the sports kt FU tweets as all the sports. Yeah, hey guys, it's me mid Country KT Country K two. Hey guys, been founding cowboys yes all the time. Oh my goodness, what's going on with them? They're playing all the football. Okay, gotta go to Vegas. See later, Ben, If you don't mind, I'll take over. Yeah, plead, Little Country KT, please, we have lots of Cowboys things to talk about, but you know, everyone's focused on the coaching search. And yesterday very well placed sources were like, dude, they're gonna hire Schottenheimer by the end of the day or by for sure, by the end of the weekend. And then yesterday Little Country KT came on and said that he was gonna bet his entire family fortune, which is an airline fortune. He was gonna bet the entire fortune that Pete Carroll was gonna be the Cowboys coach.
Speaker 1: Oh.
Speaker 2: And then I woke up this morning and Pete Carroll is gonna be the Raiders coach because Tom Brady said so. You know, I feel like it sounded like there was legit interest there from the Cowboys. Yeah, and Pete Carroll a guy who's been around the block a few times and knows how to tell a good organization from a bad one.
Speaker 1: So no, I'd rather have the Raiders. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh okay, now hold on, let me throw this out there, because really I'm more interested in kicking KT in the nuts when he can't protect himself.
Speaker 1: But before we do that, we should all acknowledge.
Speaker 2: I feel like Christina feels this way you probably feel this way. KT is our football insider. Oh yeah, he knows NFL world, and he's studied film and is because he spent time studying film, He's got great draft connections like people that work drafts, and he knows people.
Speaker 1: So KT's very plugged in playing off time.
Speaker 2: I'm not there. He is going out the door, so I'm not. I don't I want to kick him in the nuts with respect. But as I was sitting there listening to his report, which because he is so plugged in, I thought, Okay, this is legit. And then when he started explaining the reason why, I was like, this makes absolutely no sense. And then when I read the David Moore article today, So Jerry never had a formal interview with Pete Carroll. He called Pete Carroll, and he called Pete Carroll this, according to David Moore, after having multiple conversations with Brian Schottenheimer, who was already on staff, who had worked under Pete Carroll. And as Kat was saying, Pete Carroll and Brian Schottenheimer had a falling out over difference of philosophy, and so I was like, well, then why would Pete Carroll be in the mix and so what it sounds like some people are saying is that Jerry reached out to Pete Carroll, probably to get his opinion of Brian Schottenheimer as opposed to going I've interviewed Brian Schottenheimer for two days.
Speaker 1: Do you want to be her coach? No, it's a reference call. Yeah, that's kind of like what some people are implying.
Speaker 2: I don't think anyone really knows for sure, but there was multiple people yesterday that have good connections in the Cowboys organization that said they are interested in talking to Pete Carroll about the head coaching position, and Jerry talked to him. So like David More importing that Jerry talked to him informally. I don't know that it was strictly a call just say hey, tell me about Schottenheimer. And it could be that he called Pete and Pete said, you know, I'm going to be the coach of the Raiders tomorrow, right. Tom Brady wants me, okay, well see you later. To me, It's like, if Pete Carroll could choose between either organization, would he have chosen the Cowboys? Were they interested? We don't know, but he's off the board. Another potential. I mean, dude, and if you told me at the beginning of this coach search that Pete Carroll was the guy, would have.
Speaker 1: Been No, he's too old. This sucks.
Speaker 2: But after we've been focused on Schottenheimer and Bissacia, I'm.
Speaker 1: Like, oh God, please Pete Carroll, Get Pete Carroll. Nope, another one off the board.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I don't have any interest in Pete Carroll, but I certainly have more interest in Pete Carroll than I do in Brian Schottenheimer. Now, the other thing I've been thinking about, and it.
Speaker 1: May be true, it may not.
Speaker 2: They may have such buyers remorse with Dak that they're like, all right, let's just roll this out here for two years and then hit the reset button in two years after we've fixed ourt. Like if they cut Dak, now it's a disaster. And if they cut him in two years, they can mitigate the disaster a bit. But in the interim they're still going to have to sign Micah and they're still probably going to be good enough to be in the mix if guys stay healthy. So it could just be that they're looking at it going let's not spend any money on coaches. Let's figure out what happens in two years. But that also seems like a really weird thing to do when you're eighty two. I just think it's Yeah, it doesn't fit the time window that Jerry has left unless he thinks he's going to live forever, and he might have you know, he might have a blood boy he does that can keep him young.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And then obviously most people feel like this is all a waiting game to hand it over to Witting at some point. But my point is, if you're just gonna give it to some scrub instead of Witting, just let Witten have it now. Like, I don't see that that's not a huge difference to me. If you're like, no, Shottenheimer's been around for a long I don't know that that matters.
Speaker 1: I don't. I mean, I'm just I'm fine giving it to Witten now.
Speaker 2: If you're just gonna have Schottenheimer hold it down for two five hundred seasons so Wittin can take it over, you might as well give it to him now.
Speaker 1: You know what I would prefer.
Speaker 2: I would in other words, I want Witten to be under a great or. This is why maybe Pete Carroll would be better is I want Witten to have a year or two of apprenticeship under a great coach. And I know that people will say, well, dude, he was in pro football forever, like Kavinaugh was kind of making that point. I get it, But he was in pro football under different circumstances. And when you have a job, you approach the job a certain way. That doesn't mean you don't absorb everything you can from every possible circumstance. But being a player is different than being a coach. It just is no matter even if you're a quote unquote leader on the field, and it's different sport. But the best example I can give you is that Mark Keith Morris is not a coach right now because they need a player to fill the role of being with players because it's just different. It's different for those guys the second that you know on the Maverick staff, they have Jared Dudley. Jared Dudley's in a different role than when he had the Mark Keith Morris role for the Lakers and they won a championship.
Speaker 1: It's different. You're you're on a different line.
Speaker 2: And so I think this idea that Witten has a chance to be a really great NFL coach. I totally will buy into that all day long. But I would prefer if you spent a couple of years in some sort of assistant capacity. But I would prefer if he would do it under a really good head coach instead of Hey, Brian Schottenheim. We're standing here, why don't you do it for two years?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: And there's talk if Mike Solari could be the offensive coordinator with and he is the easy offensive line coach for the Cowboys or something, But he's seventy one or something like that, and I think he's he was an assistant offensive line coach for the Cowboys in eighty seven.
Speaker 1: No do they got to do it with Landry. It's just the Cowboys.
Speaker 2: We're all racking our brains and we're all sitting here on this ride with them. We're all incredibly underwhelmed. And the reason is because the Cowboys don't value the head coaching position. They never have. Jerry said anyone could go win in any of five hundred coaches could have won that Super Bowl. Didn't didn't take Jimmy. Look all prove it with going to getting Switzer to eat a hot dog on the sideline and win a super Bowl for the hot Dog boys. They really like that. Yeah, he likes it. I like the way he eats hot dogs.
Speaker 1: So I almost signed Neuralin's no weel. Yeah, so like many so they don't value the position.
Speaker 2: So it is what it is like We're we're sitting here going would you rather have a coach with no coaching experience? It was a badass player or this scrub that no other team wants.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing.
Speaker 2: No other teams want the guys they're talking about wanting the rumors of the guys that they want. So I can only hope that since they haven't hired Schottenheimer yet, that they're waiting, hopefully to talk to Kellen Moore. I hope the Eagles lose, so Kellen Moore is available to talk and I hope they. I mean, but they had a three hour interview with him and they only used two of those hours, And so is it because they were underwhelmed doing that there's no way Jerry can focus on a zoom or was it just like that we already know the guy, you know, because Ben, they already know Brian Schottenheimer and they had two days of interviews with him, but that's because it wasn't via zoom. Now you said something that's really interesting though, that it really gets my brain working. I was sitting here thinking, you know, because a lot of plugged in guys like you know, Calvin for example, Hey, they're gonna have a higher by the end of the weekend. All right, Well, sitting here at four o'clock on Friday, unless there's breaking news, it ain't gonna happen. However, when is the best place to drop news if you want it to go away? Because you know it's gonna underwhelm everybody Friday Friday, it's where news goes to die. So they could conceivably drop a Schottenheimer bomb at any minute, damn well, knowing that everyone's gonna hate it. I don't think they even think about it like that, you know, I think they I mean, I don't.
Speaker 1: I think they think.
Speaker 2: You know what, We're gonna be loud and proud about it, and we don't care if everyone's going against us. We're blazing our own trail. No one could tell us anything. We got a ten million dollar organization. I mean, I don't think they're gonna make this pick with their table between their legs. I think they're gonna look at it and go, we're geniuses.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, I think you're probably right, and they've got the track record to prove it.
Speaker 1: It's unfortunate.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's sad if that, if you know, nothing is going to change. But I feel like this is the loudest it's been in a long time to get rid of the Joneses. Like, not that we can or not that anyone can, but this is the most anti Jones Cowboy fan environment I've ever seen. Has anybody seen was did Cowboys ratings dip locally in the last couple of years?
Speaker 1: Have you seen?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think they're still sky high. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think everything they do is turns to gold, except wins. At partway. Part of it, too, is Jerry's doing that. The NFL is undefeated and indestructible. Like, if you want to pull up the fifty most highest rated shows of the year, forty of them are going to be NFL games.
Speaker 1: It is every year.
Speaker 2: It's just the most entertaining and wide reaching product out there. Okay, here's the Thursday Cowboy News from yesterday that I didn't see a lot of chatter about. But it's like, oh God, I'll just read this right off Pro Football. Top Cowboys quarterback Trayvon Diggs took an important step in his return from a seizing season ending knee surgery when he went in there and had surgery on his left knee. The surgery involves transplanting pieces of bone tissue into the joint in order to stimulate growth that will help Digs return to the field. What that sounds like the stuff we did with the linebacker Smith trying to stimulate growth by injecting tissue into stuff. It sounds like we're gonna cut off his finger and let it live in his abdomen for a year, and then we're going to bring it out and try to put it back on. It's like, dude, what I don't understand. That sounds horle It sounds horrible. It sounds like he may never walk again. Yeah, I mean like, and he's gonna play corner. How are you going to plan on your future involving him?
Speaker 1: I don't know. That's brutal. All Right, I got another one that you're gonna absolutely love.
Speaker 2: One year later, Rex Ryan could end up as the Dallas defensive coordinator. I've seen this story. My God, really listen to. This is great because I'd forgotten this. You'll remember this if you don't. If it doesn't already, jog your memory. Last year, the Cowboys were looking to hire a new defensive coordinator. Remember they went with Zimmer for one year and Rex Ryan told everybody that he would have gotten the job if the Cowboys had offered him more money, right, didn't didn't Michael Parsons say something about him too, And it was like, hey man, remember, yeah, I thought there was some media beef. But Kevin it says this time around, as they reportedly or poised to hire Brian Schottenheimer, Rex could be in play again. It would be a role reversal from nine through twenty eleven when Schottenheimer served as offensive coordinator with the Jets under Ryan. So Schottenheimer and Ryan go back to their time with the Jets, which was successful. They went to back to back AFC Championship games back then. So if the thing was that now a one year deal, maybe Ryan would have taken the job if it was more years. But are the Jones really gonna change course and give Ryan the money he wants to leave? A TV set to be the defensive coordinator for the place where his twin brother was once a defensive coordinator. I mean it would be I think for those media guys, anytime you get a chance to go bask in the Cowboys spotlight, you should do it because it's just gonna make you a better media personality. It's gonna give you more juice. You went there, you worked for the Cowboys. Now you're gonna you can always go back and get a studio job. I think, Okay, what is a worst football name? Dick Butkus or Herm Edwards two one four seven eight seven one. Wouldn't that be a great way to win Auzi's on Sorry tickets man. I just feel like this is as bad as it can get. Like the way that they've botched this. I thought they were getting rid of McCarthy and they had a plan mid season, They're like, get the hell out of here, get you get Karthy. Get but they were like, uh no, the Bears, you can't interview him.
Speaker 1: We're keeping him.
Speaker 2: And then they sat and had to negotiate with him and couldn't keep him or he was like, no, I don't want to be a part of this. You want me to just hold this down for witting? Do you know it's such a mess. And then every name you here come out associated with the Cowboys. Search is just like a fart in an elevator. Do you know who wishes he took their two year offer? McCarthy is like, what what job is he gonna go get?
Speaker 1: He's gonna sit, He's gonna he's going back to the barn.
Speaker 2: Dude, Why wouldn't he just take the same amount of money for two more years?
Speaker 1: Was it was it Kat who said he still might be in play.
Speaker 2: There's no way they can go back on that, right, Okay, Mac, we want to talk again, you want to come back? You know what I mean? How is it different than the way they handled z. Not only did they bring Zeke back, they forced him carries when no one thought he could play anybody.
Speaker 1: They're out of control.
Speaker 2: They're just gonna do whatever the hell they want to do, and nothing matters what happens on the field. They don't care what anyone says. You know what, I think McCarthy's the front runner again. I mean, I'm going on record. I think McCarthy's In fact, I bet they announced it by the end of the show.
Speaker 1: I just sucks