Speaker 1: Hi, This is Jeff Cocnauga from dock in California. I play at Lahontan Golf Club. This is golf Marto number nine seventy seven.
Speaker 2: If I can let everyone get to peek behind the curtain of the golf coach here, there's a bit of a power trip that happens with coaching where someone's hitting it poorly. I change something bomb they're hitting it, well, how good am I brilliant? On the flip side, there are cases where you say something and they don't get it and it's not working. And again, not everything, but a lot of the things we see online are edited that made it look like everything works every time. Coaching is really hard and golf is really really hard, so it's not going to be there every time. But we've coaches sometimes as a sort of a washing of their hands responsibility of ah, they just didn't get it, or ah, they just got put in the time, whereas I say, well, actually, maybe you didn't get it. Maybe the advice needs to be better, how you conduct the session needs to be better. So really I'm positive when people come to me and say I just get the impression that what I'm saying isn't really the ansome because it shows there is a critical.
Speaker 1: Side unlocking the secret to finding your perfect golf coach. With Anthony McCarthy checking in from Spain, this is Golf Smarter, sharing stories, tips and insights from great golf minds to help you lower your score and raise your golf IQ. Here's your host, Fred Green. Welcome to the Golf Smarter podcast.
Speaker 2: Anthony, Hey, Fred, great to be here. Looking forward to having a really nice conversation.
Speaker 1: Well, thank you. I am looking forward to that as well, because I like talking to golf coaches. I think that the primary base of this podcast is to talk to coaches who can help us all become better, smarter golfers, obviously, and any opportunity to talk to especially after the President's Cup weekend, to talk to international coaches is even better. Yeah, as we're recording this the day after the President's Cup has finished, you're in Spain.
Speaker 2: I am in Spain, so I'm in the southeast of Spain. But hopefully you can tell from my accent it's not a Spanish accent, it's an English accent. So I'm originally from London, but I've been over here for twelve thirteen years and I was the director of the golf academy at La Manga Club, which has quite a good reputation in Spain. It has connections with Palmer and Player and Biasteros, so I was very happy to be there and in general it's a very good place to be.
Speaker 1: So what made the track? How did you get to Spain from England?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I did a couple education courses in England and the one in Holland. I was really to give you just a quick, a quick rundown. I was actually planning to be a sports teacher, a pee teacher at school. I very quickly realized after a placement in the school that probably that wasn't my calling. So then I did a I did a coaching course, or I did I did a Yeah, I did a separate coaching course and realized, you know, coaching and golf was always my passion. So I originally came over to play, not with any sort of high hopes of being a player, but just I thought, Hey, to be a coach, I need to be a half decent player. So I came over here, then met my what would be my wife, and then yeah, the rest is history. I'm sure it's a it's a well told tale that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, right, exactly, the details we don't want to share. What what What is the state of golf in Spain.
Speaker 2: Uh, it's it's pretty good. It had a had a massive dip around recession time pre and this is recession sort of around circle two thousand and eight sort of thing. A lot of a lot of courses get got built with housings on it, with housing on it. Then obviously the world went through a bit of an issue there and unfortunately a lot of places went bust. But now it's it's it's working its way up. I always think with the with Spain, it's probably more of a class divide. With golf, it's sort of more Yeah, got more for the affluent in h Yeah. In Europe obviously states is more accessible. But in general it's it's absolutely trending in the right direction.
Speaker 1: Is that separation from the classes? Is that because there's not a lot of public golf? Is it mostly private golf?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a it's a lot of private golf. There's very very little public golf. Very I can't even think k in the whole region where I am. There's one sort of pitch and part the vast exactly exactly, The vast majority are private. So yeah, that's where there's a bit of a there's a bit of a gap there, there's a bit of a divide.
Speaker 1: Is that an issue? I mean, how is it that you're we can encourage or is there no interest in you know, I mean the kids are playing soccer, football, but how do you get children interested in golf at a young age?
Speaker 2: There's it is a tough one. There is always that misconception. I suppose that that is for like I said, for you know, the more affluent the thing where I am so I'm in the region called Mercia in the southeast of Spain, and I suppose a lot of golf in the whole of Spain just depends on tourism. So really there's not a lot of Spanish people playing golf, but there's a hell of a lot of Scandinavians, British, German, French that come in and play. And those are the ones that are really that are really playing in Spain. But yeah, it's not ideal for the actual Spanish to play.
Speaker 1: Interesting and yet Spain has produced some pretty famous.
Speaker 2: Golfers unbelievable and that was I don't know if you say, I've fred over the weekend in Madrid the playoff between John Rahm and Idalgo fantastic, fantastic and obviously with a history by a stereos la foul, It's yeah, it's got a rich history.
Speaker 1: It does. But it's not generating new players, right, I mean, based on what you're saying, it doesn't sound like that it's generating interest in the masses.
Speaker 2: It's a good point for the masses, no for and normally yeah, I suppose like biostereosol Athaba, it'd be sort of exceptions. They are generating players. So if you see on the deep world to there are still a hell of a lot of Spanish. But it again my guess would be, and don't I'm not gonna hold the hout on this, they would be again coming from more from more affterent backgrounds.
Speaker 1: Yeah, of course, of course. And is that a concern for golfers, that that we can't open it up to more people or is just there's other other sporting interests.
Speaker 2: I think other sporting interests, I'd say with it, I don't have my finger on the pulse of it completely here the but the football soccer is the be all end is the number one. It's a religion, but basically yeah, and and everything everything else basically sports wise, maybe a bit of basketball here or there, everything else by the wayside, it's basically just soccer and that's it.
Speaker 1: So you've been coaching in Spain for over a decade.
Speaker 2: Yep, are you busy? Yes, and again it would be more, but not with but not with Spanish. So the actual the clubs are very busy, but they would be again, they would be more through through tourism. So the place I was at and I've actually I stopped coaching there in March, but I was there for ten years, La Manga Club. It had a very very steady stream of people in out. It had its own hotel. A few days in the hotel out and then people also there are, however, many houses on the resort, a lot people would just yes, stay there. And again Brits Scandinavians predominantly. So it's golf here is is still big. It's just not so big with the Spanish.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So these are private courses, but tourists can get.
Speaker 2: Access, yes, absolutely, yes, not.
Speaker 1: A reciprocal thing. You could just I'm coming in from a different country and.
Speaker 2: It's it's it's it's public to to to an extent. It's private to an extent, but you can still get still get groups and still get people coming from from outside in.
Speaker 1: I see. So if I if I was coming to Spain, I would just be able to call the club and say I'm coming from the States. I'd like to play like.
Speaker 2: No problem, Absolutely, that's exactly interesting.
Speaker 1: Right, Well, I would love to spend more time talking about your coaching and your approach to coaching. And let's start with, you know, finding the right the right coach. How do we find the right coach for ourselves.
Speaker 2: I like to refer to what happens between a coach and player a sort of a relationship, And like any relationship, when you're first starting out, there's a little bit of let's say, uncertainty. And there'll be some people who where I suppose it would be love at first sight, where they basically try a coach out and that's it. But for other people it might be a matter of actually just trying here and trying there, and trying there, trying there. I think the overriding factor with it is trust, and that trust comes in in a lot of forms, not necessarily always do I trust them to help them with my game? But are they trustworthy people? Do I like spending time with them? Those are the characteristics that I say, and it's sort of my Yeah, hey, I can't take ownership of it, but sort of my thing that the coaching is is a hell of a lot more than just the what we say as coaches. Speaking for me as a coach, but also the how's, the why is, the who's and so on. But in terms of actually picking a coach, I wish I could say, look for this. I don't really buy into the fact, honestly of if they've got a proven track record, because for me, then that's basically just saying, okay, no one else can enter that club. There are some really really good coaches who maybe aren't as visible online, who aren't maybe as outgoing or someone who are really top top coaches, but you just might never have heard of them. So it's really just maybe it's a bit of a cop out, but it's really just seeing and seeing and trying and experimenting and seeing if that ties in with you. There isn't really one sized fistle with that.
Speaker 1: Is. There a lot of competition, not forgetting students. But I mean, do you have a lot of other golf instructors in the area that you're competing against or is it pretty much like I'd like to take lessons in this part of the country. I'm just going to go talk to Anthony because there's not a lot of other people out.
Speaker 2: There there, Yes and no, there are. There are quite a few coaches around, but most of the players will stick to their own club or the club where they tend to tend to frequent I suppose it also depends if there's many pros at the same at the same club, but only speaking personally for it. Yeah, it's you'll find most people would just congregranate and stick to one. Can I ask you, You've talked about it a bit in previous podcasts. What's your history with with coaching? Fred and.
Speaker 1: My personal history of getting getting lessons with teachings?
Speaker 2: Yeah, slim to none.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Yeah, I've had. I think I could say I've had less than five in person lessons.
Speaker 2: Firstly, I say there's nothing wrong with it, and I don't think I think coaches will often say that you have to get lessons on you don't. You don't have to get lessons but I think for a lot of people it can help. Can I ask how did that? How did them? What were the reasons behind that you.
Speaker 1: Are Episode number nine hundred and seventy seven. I've probably talked over five hundred coaches, many of them multiple times, and then and then the gamut of golf conversation, from authors to fitness and all these different things. So I've always kind of wanted to prove my point that you can learn from instructors just by listening to them, by you know, whether you're reading their books or you're just hearing a podcast. And I have gone from being probably when I first started playing, when I was in my forties. When I first started playing, I was forty two, and you know, at the beginning, you don't even keep an index or anything. But I was easily a twenty or around there somewhere, and now I'm hovering around a ten. And it's all by the conversations, all what I've learned from the instructors that I've had conversation. I mean, like I've been doing this weekly for nineteen years. It's almost like a graduate level course that I've had in golf instruction and game improvement. So it's funny because I think frequently it's like, what am I going to do when I retire. Well, I'm going to keep doing the podcast because I do this for the fun of doing it and how much I learned. But it's like, maybe I'll go start taking golf lessons and get serious about really trying to lower my index, because you know, sometimes my head is exploding with the amount of information that I get, and you know, with a conflicting instruction, I.
Speaker 2: Think with that, and it sort of links to something that I'm keen to say, Please, it wasn't in. It wasn't in, just where I said, there's nothing wrong with that. There is nothing wrong with not taking lessons. It's you know, to a certain extent, you know, the secrets in the dirt. You know, the body doesn't really know if you're taking lessons or not. The ball doesn't know if you're taking lessons or not. It's that why I would say, and I think this might be helpful to the listeners is and again it might sound like a cop out. The more I coach, the more I realize it's just you have to sort of personalize everything and the I think some of the issue with golf and I heard Kelvin talking the other day and he was talking about like the online and so on, which I'm not really that against. It's all generalized, and that's the issue. Any tip you any tip you read, any video you watch is by definition generalized what you've done with it for it, like by not taking lessons, it's actually just personalizing that situation too. Okay, it's an extreme example because very few people are going to have, you know, nine hundred and seventy class podcast episodes and and and and have access to have access to some really good minds. I'm not including myself.
Speaker 1: In that, but you are now included.
Speaker 2: It's being but it's it's being able to personalize everything you do to you. And again it sounds like it sounds cliche and so on. There are very very few truths. There are very very few things that we really know in of and to a certain extent, like we said, for being able to pick a coach, it's about just trying things and experimenting with things and seeing what works for you, and speaking from a coach's perspective, it's the trick is really being able to personalize what's happening to the person in front rather than generalizing. Again, I know it is cliched, I know you've heard it all before. Good that the more I coach, the more I believe.
Speaker 1: That honestly incredible. Well, yes, the primary motivation of this podcast was I need to learn a lot. How do I and the and the focus is like how do I become a better golfer? Oh, I'll just talk to golf instructors and put it up on the web. But these are my conversations. I've been blessed with the fact that a lot of people relate to these conversations and listen and see themselves in my voice, and so that's been very But that's never been my focus of like how am I going to help all these people who are listening? It's how am I going to become better? And one of the things that I've really prided myself on is that I have found instructors that are not the most popular, that are not on TV, that don't have the biggest YouTube channels. Right as time has progressed and YouTube has become a main factor here, so I like to talk about focusing on and showcasing the unsung heroes of golf instruction, like yourself.
Speaker 2: Well again, maybe when teve myself. And that's the one thing I say with it is when it comes to coaching and golf improvement and so on. A couple of things. Why I really like this podcast is because it is open and you used it before. You use the term to the masses. Sometimes when we read different articles and watch different videos and someone, we have to be aware that that quote unquote content is maybe not geared towards the masses. A lot of the content now is geared towards really really top players who practice a lot, who are really impassioned to improve, and soon I think there's a massive drop in Okay, I use the word information for people who maybe don't fall into that category. I always say this, This is a I call it like a ninety ten principle, where I say ninety of the golfing content is for the ten percent of people who either have a really low handicap or like I said, are out there every day practicing and song. It's not for the quote unquote average golfer who doesn't have the time to do that and has a family and someone And maybe we'll jump in on the video here and another there, but it'sn't really going to be clicking on every sort of link. Again, like to tip my hat to you. I think there's a massive, massive space there, and I think when people do watch things and read things, it's just remembering this might not be for me or made specifically for me, and it's just being aware of that when we do.
Speaker 1: Okay, Anthony, please put your hat back on. No tipping to me, because I've always felt very similarly that what here in the States watching the Golf Channel. I don't know if you have an equivalent or you get that the Golf Channel was always directed at single digit, at low digit, handicapped golfers, and there was not an approach a voice for everybody who you know, can't practice once a week, hopefully can play once a week, have a passion for the sport, have a passion for its history, have a passion for everything that surrounds it. But you know, as one player I played with years ago said to me, you know what I want for Christmas this year? What's that? He says? Two good shots in a row? I mean, this is this is who we are. And I think that's ninety nine percent of golfers, you know, are are the ones who are struggling to get into the nineties or the eighties. But we're always compelled to try one more time, go out again, because golf will do that to you. You get one good, one good shot that either sounds great or looks great, You're going I'm coming.
Speaker 2: Back, absolutely and I think, yeah, I can't sort of pull it a study. But I used to ask a lot of my people, a lot of the people like coach, would you rather shoot your handicap? Or yeah, would you rather shoot your handicap? Would you rather shoot two or three over your handicap? But hit it really well, And undoubtedly the reply was hit it really well again using the personalized thing. You just have to play golf the way you want to play golf. And let's say the use of statistics now and someone is absolutely great, is pushing the game forward. However, it is dividing golf into right and wrong. Okay, until you should be doing this and should be doing that. Okay, I'm in the land of biosteros. But if you're in the trees and you you know, you just enjoy hitting nice shots, you probably know the safe shot would be to punch out sideways. But if for that one out of fifty time you're able to punch it below the branches and then cutting the leather and so on, and it works its way up onto the green. It will be worth it. It will be one hundred percent worth it. And again, for a player, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We have to play golf the way we want to. And again, I because I'm a coach, asked to coaches, I'd say actually promoting that, encouraging that in players, even if it might not help the score depending on what the actual goal is. Again, yeah, there's nothing wrong with it. I always think, just last point, it's coaches will often feel compelled to think everyone wants to get their handicapped down. Everyone wants to They don't. They just don't. A lot of people just want to hit nice shots. And I think coaches will go off sometimes so okay, right, they assume in eighteen handicapped, for instance, wants to get down to twelve or someone because that's what they would have done. Okay, you need to be out on the putting green doing these drills and so on. Not interested, not interested, And there's nothing wrong with that. But again, it's actually actually for me encouraging that rather than resisting against it.
Speaker 1: Well, there's so many things that you said there that I want to go talk about. You know, the risk reward element of a shot under the trees, hobbling around, blah blah blah blah. Right as you describe.
Speaker 2: That.
Speaker 1: You know, that's why we call the show golf smarter, right You, Yeah, you can see the flag, but you're not necessarily going to hit it, and you may end up with double or triple bogie where if you just go back out into the fairway, okay, you'll get a bogie. Let's walk away with that. So yeah, and the audience is going to you'll be able to hear the audience sing along with me on this. And one of our favorite lines is never follow a bad shot with a stupid shot, right, And.
Speaker 2: I'd say with this, it's all dependent on what the objective is. If the objective is school place smater and this, you wouldn't be able to say, all right, go for that shot if it's a one out of fifty, like I said, because there's nothing smart about there's nothing smart about that. But if the objective is actually yeah, if you're just playing with your friends and so on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you want to you want to be you want to beat them. I mean, if you're playing with your friends, there's probably some competition and money being exchanged.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it depends on the the your friends, I suppose. But again if the objective again, just if the objective is school, Yes, it's not always school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's what it's the next shot. It's always the next shot, which is, as we know, the hardest shot in golf is the next one right now. And the other party you talked about the handicap and that, you know, let's also remember it's like, do you want to play to your handicap or do you want to you know, just have some good shots. The handicap is an indication of your potential, not your average score. Right, That's why they take of your last twenty rounds, they take the best eight. Say, you know, you have potential of playing here. And as we recently learned from Joel Suggs that the p is what he called the PGA, the bell curve of your scoring, which is poor, good, an average, right, and the bell curve being the top being the average, and then you've got poor and and everybody has that, and it could range with a single digit player, it can range seven or eight strokes and for a you know, a twenty handicap, it can range fifteen strokes, but you know, but you've got that, So the handicap is I'm not a big fan of that. Playing to the potential it's like, you know, because then all of a sudden people are gambling on your potential. It's like, okay, what you're index? All right, that's what you owe me two strokes? Like wait a minute, this is your course. You play from teeth farther back than I do. Neil, are you listening right now? We're playing at your course, We're playing at t's that I don't usually play, and I have to give you two strokes three strokes? Come on, man, there's got to be some balance here, even players, and we both know it. Yeah, but the numbers say you gotta give me three. Give me a break, man.
Speaker 2: Do you know how that? Because that actually do you know how I used to work? I can only speak for the UK, but before the changes in handicap how it used to work. Over that it was literally it wasn't the eight, it wasn't the eight best, it was just the average. So anytime, so anytime you played in the competition, in Again, I can only speak for the UK. I don't know if it was the same in other places in Europe. You just you had your handicap, and if you played poorly, your handicap went up, and if you played well, your handicap went down point one, point two or whatever. And there always used to be a thing of oka, oh, the American systems. So I'm glad that. I'm glad You're not the only one. You're You're an honorary brit Thank you.
Speaker 1: Someday I'll make it there. I always wanted to go, and hopefully I got a big birthday coming up up next summer, i'd like to make it. I might like to make it over the UK to get some golf in for that. Yeah right, we'll talk about that later. Let's talk about instruction and personalizing. You talked about personalized versus generalize. Let's get deeper into that of how how how you personalize for a golfer? And I don't like asking two questions, but I'll go ahead and do that. And how long does it take for you to be able to personalize your instruction for a student?
Speaker 2: It doesn't take long. It just depends on how you see it. The thing I say, and yeah, I think this would be almost like a takeaway for anyone listening, and at least this is this is the way I see it. Try to work as much in what you know rather than in a realm that you know will work, rather than hope will work. So when it comes to gold, there are actually very few things that we know help everyone, and particularly with the swing thread, there's very very there are very very few things that everyone does that you can look on and the PGA tour and say, okay, everyone does it that way. So with that, and if I could just go go into detail with that, we know basically we know impact and we know bull flight, So everyone who is good will hit the ball first then grass. And you're talking the other week about low point, that's what we know. Everyone will hit the middle of the face or around the middle of the face. It doesn't lean towards drastically off the toe and drastically off the hill, and everyone will have the club face that's functionally straight. If if anyone's listened to Adam Young, those are three principles that he really that he really goes by, and I completely completely agree. So once you have that, then you can branch off into. And there are other things that we know. There are certain movements, for instance, that we know that we know basically everyone does. Is then actually again to a certain extent, experimenting different bids and seeing what works for you. And again, I'm not always the biggest thing, the biggest proponent of right and wrong, good and bad. It's actually, to a certain extent, trying stuff, and the coach can do this or a coach can help with that in various ways and seeing what works for you. The question that we that always sort of is in the back of our heads or is yeah, but could it be better? Could be better? And that's where you might have to show a little bit of a restraint of not actually just trying everything. The fact of the matter is, we don't know a hell of a lot. This is really positive, isn't it. We don't. We don't know a hell of a lot. And a lot of coaches will point at Furic, for instance, and say, well, imagine if his dad had changed his swing, well, we'd never have heard of him. Well, to be fair, we don't know that either. If some changes went into Furic when he was younger to make him quote unquote more conventional. He might have been a better player for all we know. So for me, it's working in a realm that you know will work and try to spend as much time in that realm as possible. Then it's seeing your patent, seeing how you want to play, and then personalizing around them all excuse me, personalizing a round those rather than hey, you know the cliche, the typical one sized fiscle trying to feel fit a model. Yeah, it's that's not ideal when that happens.
Speaker 1: First, I have to thank you for mentioning previous episodes that you've heard. So are you Are you a listener? Really?
Speaker 2: I am a listener, and I'm a self considered self confessed like golf nuts or golf improvement not and definitely a golf coaching nuts.
Speaker 1: So that leads me to the question and I and I truly appreciate you listening, but listening as an instructor? Do you listen because of other instructors being on this podcast and that you find this as additional study for you?
Speaker 2: Point blank? Yes? And I think you just got to You've got to keep your eyes open, in your ears to the ground, and you've got to be aware of what so and so are saying? And what so and so are saying? And again that's where the experimental bits come in. It's like, okay, a m I try that for a bit. It's not though it's being open to things but close to dogma. Is what I would say is to actually be really critical and really self critical. And I like to think for myself that I'm self critical. It's saying, okay, is this working? Does that work? Did that work? And when I listen to coaches and I yeah, I basically try to listen to everything. It's always almost with a critical eye, not a negative eye, but a critical eye of is this good or is this bad? A lot of it's good, a lot of it not so good. And then I just find my own find my own conclusion.
Speaker 1: As do I that is that is what we're looking for. It's like there's a lot of information that we receive and that we get, but it is sure great to be able to figure out how to separate yourself from all of an if I hate to call it noise because I'm contributing to it, but but there's a lot out there, and you know, I will get an email from somebody saying that guy who who was on last week really didn't connect with me, you know, or they can say something a little more harsh than that, but the point is that it didn't connect. And I inevitably will write back and say wait till next week because you're gonna have a different voice.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then there'd be something else. And again, there's nothing wrong with it disconnecting. No, Yeah, it's just it's just that's not exactly right. It's just deciphering and again being critical of For me, it's if there are exceptions to the rule, is probably not the rule. So it's sticking with that. And then it's okay being aware of preferences. You might have certain preferences, but at the end of the day, they're just that. It's not holding onto them for their life. It's understanding their preferences and then working at your own Now.
Speaker 1: Now your website is golf Coachinstitute dot com. You work, do you instruct instructors?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that's that's basically what I do now. So I said that are left in March at my previous employment and I just go full time on this now. So at the moment, I'm mentoring other coaches around some of the topics that I that I talked about today and enjoying myself great.
Speaker 1: I hope it's succeeding for you. I know that when recreational golfers call them amateur golfers if you'd like, but recreational golfers that come to an instructor, you know, and the instructor will ask the first couple basic questions, But the answer inevitably is, I want more consistency, I want greater distance. Probably the number one and number two requests that instructors get, and there's probably three and four there as well. But what is it when instructors come to you, what is number one, two, three, or four of the request that they have about, you know, from you as a mentor to them? What do they want to improve on? What do they want to know that will help them become a better instructor.
Speaker 2: It's a really good question. I would say only one. What they're saying, or what they're saying they know isn't fully the case, isn't fully right. And I appreciate that more than anything because it shows to me that they're critical about what they're saying. You'll have and I don't want to be critical of coaches here sometimes if I can let everyone get to peek behind the curtain of the golf coach here, there's a bit of a power trip that happens with coaching where someone's hitting it poorly. I change something bomb they're hitting it, well, how good am I brilliant? But on the flip side, there are cases where you say something and they don't get it and it's not working. Okay, And again everything not everything, but a lot of the things we see online are edited and made it look like everything works every time. But just coaching is really hard and golf is really really a really really hard spot, so it's not going to be there every time. But with coaches sometimes as a sort of washing of their hands, the responsibility of ah, they just didn't get it or they just got to put in the time, where as I say, well, actually, maybe maybe you didn't get it. Yeah, maybe maybe the advice needs to be better, or how you can douct the session needs to be better. So really, I'm I'm positive when people come to me and say I just get the impression of what I'm saying isn't isn't really the answer, because it shows that there is a critical side and especially starting out younger coaches, it will be the case where it's it probably isn't the answer. Uh. And so a lot of people come and ask me for advice in that there there to a certain extent happy with what they're doing. Information wise, I think is okay, but the application and so on, it's just they know it's maybe not fully there.
Speaker 1: It's that's just like golf to me, it's your your intention versus execution the teacher. You know. And you asked me about how many lessons I've had that also included a weekend golf school. Early and early in the podcast, there was a golf academy in Arizona that my wife and I went to. My wife was like brand new to golf. She still is. She's not listening. I can say this. She says, yeah, I played cold. It's like, no, you don't.
Speaker 2: She's a really good plan.
Speaker 1: About six years ago. You can't. And she goes, let's go on playing. I'm like, I don't want to do that. It's not going to be fun for me. But we went to this golf school and there was an instructor that I was working with at this school. To remain nameless, mainly because I forgot her name, but she was saying, Okay, just do this, and I'm like, I don't understand what that means, because we'll just do that. I'm like, do what. She goes what I what I'm telling you to do what? I'm sure it's like, I don't understand that though I don't understand how to execute that. How can you reframe it? Can you restate it so I might be able to comprehend what you're saying. And it just came back the same way. So intention versus execution from a coach as well as the amateur golfer. You know, our intent. Our intent is so important here on every shot.
Speaker 2: I mentioned earlier. And that's the thing I mentioned earlier about it being a relationship, and for a relationship there has to be equal amounts of input and equal amounts of responsibility on both sides. So if the player is saying, God, that coach was terrible all the time when they haven't maybe actually practiced what the coach was saying and so on, that's not great. But at the same time, a coach saying they just didn't get it, they're not that good, that's not great either. And it's a really important point for it. It's a cliched one, but really sort of top coaches, we'll be able to say things that resonate, and we'll be able to demonstrate and resonate and leave a mark on the player. It's one of those things that all things get said, Okay, I didn't understand, and then they said it a different way than I did understand. It's absolutely it's absolutely right, and the really really top coaches will be able to transcend what you even thought about happening in the golf lesson not just through not just through the result and the success you have in that golf session, but also the relationship that you have with them and the sport in the sports in general.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so we talked about your website is golf Coachinstitute dot com. Do you work with recreational amateur players or is it you primarily focused on working with instructors.
Speaker 2: It's just instructors at the moment, but there's a you know, when I when I was playing a bit, I would still just look at all the instructors work on Golf Digest and so on. So there's still a hell of a lot of a hell of a lot of good stuff for players and also, and I suppose there was almost the topic of the conversation today or right, things that you can just keep an eye out in your own work with with your coach or if you are looking for a coach. There's a few there's a few useful points in there.
Speaker 1: Feel well, Anthony, I truly appreciate your support of listening to the podcast and reaching out to have this conversation because I found it absolutely fascinating and I've learned a lot, So thank you so much for coming on to the Golf Smarter podcast.
Speaker 2: Thanks Ritt. Honestly, if you do a head of a lot of good stuff. So yeah, I was really really happy to join