Speaker 1: Sorry, no skating tonight.
Speaker 2: What to come here on Saturday night to clean the ice losers.
Speaker 3: Actually it's called curling. Players slid the heavy stones towards the circle or house as teammates controlled the direction and speed of the stone by sweeping in front of it with a special room march.
Speaker 4: It's perfect for both of us.
Speaker 1: It's got balling for me and sweeping for you.
Speaker 2: Four Finger Discounted.
Speaker 4: Welcome to four Finger Discount, where this week we hit the review Boy Mets Curl, which is kind of relevant now because we just had the Winter Olympics and here the Simpsons are on their way to Vancouver to apparently represent Team USA in curling.
Speaker 1: I'm Dando and I'm Guy, and I was about to say this episode is now irrelevant because the Winter Olympics have been over for some time.
Speaker 4: But were they ever relevant? Shout out to all of our Winter Olympians out there.
Speaker 1: Australia actually did quite well. Australia above its weight in the Winter Olympics. Given that we are not regarded as a particularly wintery country.
Speaker 4: We were all surprised when on the news vers they were going we we did well.
Speaker 1: We actually did well.
Speaker 4: That was what we want something we did. Well, yeah, who was the guy that won that race where everyone else fell over? And he's Steve somewere Steve, I want to.
Speaker 1: Say, Steve Bradbury.
Speaker 4: That's the one. Yeah, what an absolute champion.
Speaker 1: But it's funny watching the televised Australian coverage of the of the Winter Olympics, it was like, and here's Steve Bradrey. Every four years they go and visit this guy or I think lives up northern Queensland. I think he owns are put up in Queensland, the least wintery place in Australia, which is the least wintery place in the world. Well not necessarily, but you know what I mean. And yeah, he's got himself a new head of hair and all this kind of stuff, and he's like speaking like a real authority. On the Winter Olympics, there was very much a thing was like he was kind of regarded as a lucky guy for everyone else in his race, kind of falling over. This speed skating event, goes through and wins a gold medals.
Speaker 4: He's not even like he doesn't feel bad about it either, But why should he He should not, because he is the thing.
Speaker 1: He's the thing that kept coming up both him and all his other fellow athletes were saying, what you're not seeing is the hours and hours and hours and years and weeks and months of effort that went into his training and his preparation and all that kind of stuff and really just came down to, you know, a bunch of people fall out. The other thing was, and this really sort of weirded me out about the Winter Olympics, but certainly when it came to speed skating and things like that, with people falling over as well, there's a chance that you will either nick yourself with your blades or someone else. I mean, there was some guy who actually really got his throat.
Speaker 4: Cut by skate have it in hockey a guy lost his life a couple of years ago, got slice on the neck, I believe. Yeah, it's scary.
Speaker 1: It looked pretty naily, yeah, I must admit. I mean I'm not a huge Olympics guy in general, but I kind of enjoyed watching these Winter Olympics. I mean, the sports are really sort of entertaining and fun. I saw none of them. Yeah, you know, doing the moguls, you gotta do a little flip in there as well, and.
Speaker 4: I'm with it. I always get really pumped for the actual Olympics as well the Summer Olympics, and then they're on and I just don't seem to watch as much as I think I'm going to, because it's like you watch any sport whenever you want live and I'm like, yeah, where's the Simpsons marathon? That's what That's what the Olympics meant for kids. I mean the Fox that were like, well, no one's gonna be watching anything but the Olympics. Let's just spike the Simpsons.
Speaker 1: So this particular episode sort of was the best of all worlds for you, and it was like, Okay, we get that Winter Olympics feeling, but also Simpsons.
Speaker 4: I remember. It's funny. I couldn't remember the name Steve Bradby, but as soon as you said it, I remember. I think it was like year eight when it happened for me. I was in year eight. I remember we made a song, wouldn't it be nice to be Steve watching everybody fall over?
Speaker 1: More power to him? He's got that gold.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, indeed, apparently so margin Homer are good enough to represent America in Curly in this episode. I'm watching this going, I'm getting D two vibes My Ducks two because I watched this recently with the kids, and I love the My Ducks movies. No, nostalgia plays a big role in that. But I watched his going this bunch of riff raff representing team USA. How why they won a district league and now they're representing the country.
Speaker 1: What happens in D two? They've actually got sort of bumped up a notch too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, they've gone from District five the money Ducks. They've got the changes off to the Ducks and like, you guys are good, we like your story. You can represent Team USA at the Summer Olympics whatever it is that junior summer.
Speaker 1: Is it revealed any stage throughout D two because I have not watched it, Okay, you should then the death Strewn I watched it. I go, this is absolute ludicrous. But at any stage is there some cynical person going, hey, you guys are really that good. But we liked your story and we knew we could sell it. Oh and that, but that would then give the mry Ducks the motivation. Well we'll show them and actually did really well.
Speaker 4: No, they just get really ahead of themselves because they can beat all the other countries, and then they start losing. The coach Bombay starts having a love affair with the co coach of the Iceland team, so that in the first one it was the Hawks, they were all black, and then then this one it's it's the Iceland team and it's a guy. None of them are actually from Iceland, and they're putting on funny accents. I think, actually, I think the female is an Icelandic actress, but everyone else is just an American together, mate, your eyes on the prize. He gets ahead of himself. He's like, I'm a success financially now, and he's more interested in the perks of being famous as opposed to coaching the team.
Speaker 1: Oh, he lost he lost sight.
Speaker 4: He lost sight of what's what it means to be coach Bombay.
Speaker 1: But I guess if he found his way back by the end, but he does.
Speaker 4: Indeed, Yes, it was two and that's I think. When did the Animaheim Ducks become the Anaheim d.
Speaker 1: You're asking because usually I was google that they because they called Team USA in this movie.
Speaker 4: And at the end, like, I know how we can get back in this and they come out and they're all wearing Ducks jerseys like it's the Ducks are back.
Speaker 1: I'm watching who the fuck of the Ducks?
Speaker 4: And they'reart saying we will quack you.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take it back. I don't think I should watch t.
Speaker 4: Who played Keenan from Keenan and Cal Is on SNL. Keenan he's actually, of course it is. Yeah, he plays he plays the knuckle pot kid. It's just the little fat kid do they find at the local basketball court and he joins the guys done well.
Speaker 1: He's I don't know how long he's been on SNL all the time, like twenty something a year. Good for him? Oh yeah, man, you find a gigstick to it. Yeah yeah, you said that SNL UK is starting, So I.
Speaker 4: Thought its already. Han't already? I had an episode or something.
Speaker 1: No, no, I think it starts. If not this week, then next week. They've imported like Tina f to be the host for the first episode.
Speaker 4: I saw someone like why now, why not forty five years ago when it might have been relevant? Now speaking of relevant, boy, Betsy, we've been recording, probably been five minutes now recording.
Speaker 1: That's the question. That's good becaues they recording down there? The red light means an rage. No, the numbers are ticking over were certainly recorded, like we went greed means girl?
Speaker 4: Right, is it actually recording?
Speaker 1: Okay, we're at We're at the seven minute.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's good, okay, seven fifteen. So I haven't really written many detailed notes about this. When I was taking my notes last night for it, I again, I enjoy when Homer and marjor Good as a team together.
Speaker 1: Right. I knew you were going to say it, right. I was like, Dano will like this episode, or will like the foundation of this episode.
Speaker 4: I thought that this was going to become a Marge ends up despising Homer, and it almost does to an extent, but it came out of nowhere and unjustified. Yeah. She was just like, everything I do with you, it always ends it bad for me. And I'm like, wait, what, Literally thirty seconds ago you were saying how his love of your life and life's great with home, blah blah blah. Now you're saying this because you hurt your shoulder.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, admittedly, I think there's the germ of a good idea in that, in that you know these who have joined the curling team. One is better than the other, one is sort of holding the other up, or one's a bit of a bit of a passenger.
Speaker 4: How are they representing the country? That's my throw logic at them. Simpsons go to the Olympics, which.
Speaker 1: Not just why a Homer and margin? Why Edna and Seymour Edna Anes? Sorry, not ed?
Speaker 4: And that's another problem I have with this episode. Oh yes, just unnecessary hate towards Skinner all the time, to the point where this isn't funny. This is just she's a horrible person.
Speaker 1: Forgive the adult language here, but I've written down here. Wow, fuck Agnes, I'm sorry, she was just a terrible, terrible person. And then later on, I'm sorry that we'll get to it when we get to it, but unearned redemption out of nowhere, which is something you actually could have built on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but it was just like I've now realized that you know I love you? When when did you realize it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: You hated in like last time we spoke to me.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry, You've got I know You've only got twenty two minutes or however long this episode actually runs to tell this story. I'm sure there's these moments. Yeah, you've got to earn it. Like Tom Hanks said in Saving Priort Ryan, You've got to earn this.
Speaker 4: It did just feel like, you know, the Winter Olympics are on, let's tie it in. That was the whole point of this.
Speaker 1: So you've got these two parallel storyline. Well actually, I mean yeah, I guess the A plot is is Homer and Marge at the Olympics, and the bat plot is Lisa getting addicted to Olympic pins.
Speaker 4: Like I said about that, I'm a better in saying that relatable. I look at the studio, I can I lie to just the idea of getting addicted to collecting ship and how easy it is because you see these things in the newspapers all the time. They go get this this day's or this month, so this week's pin or poster and stuff. As a kid, I was like, I've got to collect them all.
Speaker 1: Oh, look, you you're talking to someone who will spending far more time on eBay than he should or yeah, would have been buying blues yeah, blue rays. Yeah. Yeah, because there are some that Amazon won't won't pick up, yeah, but eBay will. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know eBay have done recently too. You watch something right and it will go just so you know someone else started watching this item. You're like, no, you know that traveled in his mind.
Speaker 1: The feeling you could spend you could probably exercise three to four minutes out of the Lisa is addicted to Olympic pins story and flesh out the relationship between see Moore and Agnes a bit more that storyline, or a bit more with margin Homer.
Speaker 4: So I was reading here on the wiki page that the original plan was for the Homer to be in a four man Bob sled team as a I guess a cool Runnings parody. I probably could have bought into that more than this, and it would have been confusing for You're doing a Winter Olympics episode the first ever time with the Winter Olympics, there was no couples or was no teamed curling event at the Olympics at that point in time.
Speaker 1: Oh okay, So they basically had to invent a sport or a variation on.
Speaker 4: A sport the writers artistic license because although curling is an Olympic sport, mixed doubles, which is featured in the episode, was not an Olympic event at the time.
Speaker 1: This airing.
Speaker 4: It did debut eight years later. However, in the episode, it explained that the event is being held as a demonstration sport. They do say that I was wondering why it's a demonstration sport again.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so curling is just so odd to me. I'm trying to understand the physics of it and just sort of can't get my head around it. It's entertaining and it's like hell yeah, I mean, it's got a real curiosity about what is this? What are you guys doing. I'm sure the people who do curling take it very, very seriously, particularly in Canada, where they love it or I don't love it, but you know, it's certainly taken seriously. There's a whole movie about it called Men with Brooms.
Speaker 4: Getting visions of like kids laying it home in their beds with posters of curlers well on the wadies box. Yeah, shout all the curlers out there.
Speaker 1: That I had. Props to you, guys and gals. I don't know, you maybe need a better representation than this episode. I don't know. I wanted to like this episode more than I did because the things that you're bringing up that you disliked about it. There certainly things that I disliked about it, and particularly yeah, I think I think the ag and stuff really just left a bad taste in my mouth.
Speaker 4: I think they built to the problem. The problem is to happen in the second act, and the problem with March hourning it happened really near the end, and when the episode's over, you kind of go, did we even need that injury? Because yes, she uses her other arm, but it's it's all exactly the same.
Speaker 1: Yeah it didn't.
Speaker 4: It created like a moment of tension for like, it goes for like ninety seconds, the tension, and it's just like, you know what, I'm good with my other arm. I can do this.
Speaker 1: And you're like, why what I mean?
Speaker 4: I would might even need that because when they go we're having the forfeit ceremony and Marge goes not so fast.
Speaker 1: It's like that was it was so blinking you miss it very much.
Speaker 4: So if you went to the you literally turned off for like ninety seconds, you would forget that whole subplot of Marge's angry at home.
Speaker 1: Now I get the film. There's a whole bunch of good ideas in here. I mean, I don't dislike the notion of I mean, it's very far fetched about Agnes being a champion pole vaulter who whose dreams of Olympic glory were sort of quashed by Ah, yeah, I was pregnant and Seawa decides to kick one time and it knocks the bar of and oh I'd lose.
Speaker 4: We're going to discuss that scene as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I like the foundation, I like the the the core of that idea. It's like, I could have been great, but now I've got this baby, and that's that's the origins of my disdain from my son. Yeah, yeah, which is like a running gag. Now, admittedly, you've got to revert to the status quo as we always talk about, you know, it's always got to be the way that Agne is going to be, like seem why are you suck? It's like, okay, we've got to get back back to that at the end.
Speaker 4: The problem is we've seen them have redemption stories where they've got where she's gone. I'm sorry, I know I've been too tough on you in the past, so when you go back to it's kind of like we've been here before, We've done this before.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean The best example of this kind of family dynamic, this kind of toxic family dynamic mother and son in particular, is in thirty Rock with Jack Donahan and Alibaman's character and his mum, who you know, she's constantly on his constantly yeah yeah, and she's and he's giving it back to her as well, and the moments when they do sort of bond, it's like, oh, you guys are similar enough. We can see that you actually do love each other. You know, the fact that you're so hateful makes you love each other, but occasionally you'll direct that hate at each other. With these two, I'm just I don't understand it, and I certainly don't understand of this.
Speaker 4: Episode with comedy, particularly when it comes to like, you know, someone being mean to another, if you're feeling sympathetic towards the other person, it's not funny anymore. No, And I was found myself feeling sympathetic towards Skinner this entire time, even making the jokes of you know, this unconscious reflex reflex in the in utero that was you know, inconceivable. It's like, no, it wasn't like it's sad that got yourself a breakman. Yeah, and I just it wasn't even coming across as a simp. He was just coming across as a victim of abuse. Essentially, wasn't here much and she had there was no justification for it, the way she was young at him all the time, and I was went and then at the end she just goes. I thought, when you fucked up at the end when the stick broke, and she's like, oh, I realized I love you now. I thought there was gonna be some sort of rug pull here, and now she's no, it's like, oh, I'm gonna take it for pizza and icegain. And I was like, when did this happen? We didn't even get like the the tease of her potentially changing her mind, seeing the error of her ways. It's just like on what she likes him now?
Speaker 1: Yeah? What So that didn't make a whole lot of sense. Yea, So yeah, when you've got this redemption moment at the end, so well you're not you think you're stick in the landing here you're not. And likewise almost with Homer as well. I mean, I would have liked the idea of these two working together all the way through. Maybe one's better than the other. As I pointed out earlier, you know, Marge is the real sort of the real driver here and Homer's doing his best, which it's probably it was one of my favorite moments. Oh he tries his best. Well, that's why he's never going to get any better. At the end, Homer didn't even really have to try. He was so good. No, I mean, it would have been nice for him to sort of like, oh, Marge's trying to say, I need to try more, I need to do it, give him a little bit of a win. I mean, I know this is mostly Marge's win, but it felt like, yeah, we always talk about say I think we bringd the Fraser example, it's like, stop treating this guy like a three legged dog, giving a little pet on the head for the for the effort or whatever. I felt that way about Homer in this. It's like you should be trying a bit harder. And you mentioned that as Quoe before.
Speaker 4: If I'm writing this episode right, and I could be wrong, but it all take is just one line. But you need to explain why margin Homer are retiring from the sport now because you watch this and you go they have just one gold at the Olympics. Why would they not continue to Why would hon't I go back to the power plan? Why would margin go back to being a house Why they're not international athlete superstars?
Speaker 1: Now that's right, Yeah, because they seem so into it.
Speaker 4: Explain why they're not going to be doing in the next episode. That's not just not just that they're good at it, they're best in the world. Yeah, but they're also yeah, really into it as well. They found something they like.
Speaker 1: Doing together, So why would they started doing inside jokes about curling and everything? Yeah, makes sense.
Speaker 4: Just just give us something. It can be illogical, but just something to justify why they wouldn't continue doing it, or even do one of.
Speaker 1: Those cheap Simpsons gags kind of like, yeah, I'm thinking of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I would take anything. Yeah, yeah, I'll take a copy out over nothing. I did like though, that they didn't mock curly because I feel like a lot of people see curly as sort of like a joke sport.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I know, I did for the longest time until I've watched it and I went, oh shit, Yeah, these guys actually really talented, and I think the Simpsons it was important that they didn't mock it. Yeah, because I don't think when you're having a time with the Winter Olympics, you don't want to be mocking the spot.
Speaker 1: So absolutely not, because I mean, you look at other Winter Olympic sports, it's like, holy shit, these guys are going incredibly quickly when they're skiing, or oh my god, you could cut your throat with those skin with those skates when you're at speed skating, or you know, you look at figure skating, it's like, these guys are incredible athletes. I mean watching the figure skating during the most recent Winter Olympics, there was some guy who I think, you know, the judge will say, always one of the best in the world. You know, this is fantastic. He's probably this is his to lose or whatever. And he took a tiny bit of a tumble. It's like, oh, that's no good for him. Then he got it wasn't like a career anything or even around anything, but oh, that's going to take some points off. The guy instead just did like an absolute flip recovered what the I mean, a literal flip in the air.
Speaker 4: It's like, I mean like you've recovered though, like oh yeah, he need recovered. He was like, oh, Okay, yep, no, give that guy the goal. Wow, the shyla buff standing of.
Speaker 1: So yeah, but I'm I agree with you one hundred percent about how they they treated curling with. Yeah, the respect it deserves.
Speaker 4: My favorite favorite memos in the episode, mister Davis didn't have that many. I thought you would have liked the wise guy guy from the Olympics who had what you call the dealer. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, actually here's one of my Lisa's like, oh can I oh that pin? I really want it? Can I have it? On account of account I wanted I suppose to hear that one. No, I just wasn't funny the first day. Yeah, and I'm like, oh he's a Canadian wise that's great, So I didn't. I did enjoy that bit.
Speaker 4: Do you think of the little girl being a guy. That seems like a gag that they pull what Yeah, yeah, but.
Speaker 1: You've got a little person in the sky.
Speaker 4: But Burns air was when they did it, because that's he was Lisa in disguise.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought it was okay, Yeah, it was liked it.
Speaker 4: That was one of my favorites. I like that guys. I thought he was pretty pretty funny.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and the other thing I liked was when Skinner rocked up on a on a Saturday or something or did a home visit and but it's all upset. No, no, my cargo pants, my cargo pants in the case, I'm not here on school business. I'm here in cool business as someone who has cargo pants. Yeah, I can dig it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and marched as this slid in or something that was girling reference.
Speaker 1: But it's like I liked.
Speaker 4: The two letters and a two letters and a conference before visit, but not it's the score. I also didn't mind the Curly trials, Oh various Curlyes. And then I must.
Speaker 1: Admit, though, I mean when when's the release date of this episode?
Speaker 4: This episode originally ends to Davis one fourteen Valentine's a Day in twenty ten amongst the Winter Olympics.
Speaker 1: I know the Three Stooges are immortal, but having said that, I'm wondering how sort of you know.
Speaker 4: I've never seen a single episode of the Three Stooges.
Speaker 1: Would audiences watching The Simpsons in twenty ten be all that familiar with Curly? Do you think and the Stooges?
Speaker 4: Is it the classic example?
Speaker 1: Though?
Speaker 4: I don't think the Simpsons writers care, and they probably should because that the Three Stooges are one of those things where if you don't know about them, you probably should. Right, they're iconic when it comes to pop culture. If you don't get it as an example of a kick going, what's that all about?
Speaker 1: And you might do some research on it. True, Having said that, I think they might have dragged out the whole Curly thing. Just it's like, the kids all love these jugs about the Three Stooges and particularly Curly.
Speaker 4: But you could have just had Mo walk up a lot sooner. I didn't mind that, or even.
Speaker 1: Just have it as throw away gag, you know, just sort of pan past Curly auditions and have someone going.
Speaker 4: Well, I looked down for a second to write some lets looked up and I'm like, I just saw the Moor partner.
Speaker 1: What the heck? What did I do this?
Speaker 4: Going on? Next question? You there eating the baste trivia for this episode, mister Davis, Well, I've got four questions. Four?
Speaker 1: Shall I start?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Okay, how did they get out for a second? Um Birds going on a date night with Princess Wilhelmina. From where Russia, Prussia, Prussia damn.
Speaker 4: My first question is what did the Soldier magazine ad say on the back?
Speaker 1: What was it for?
Speaker 4: What did it say?
Speaker 1: Oh God, damn.
Speaker 4: He's holding it up and she's.
Speaker 1: Oh, she'll remember your smell.
Speaker 4: VI Talents, Yeah, vitalus. She won't have you, but she will remember your smell.
Speaker 1: That's right. Yeah.
Speaker 4: Actually, one of my favorite moments I didn't mind the agnus line of our love was fifty Style three minutes of sex and then the lifetime of regret my fifty Style.
Speaker 1: In the twenty twenties. Yes. My next question to you is what is on the side of the bus that is outside the Olympic village. There's something.
Speaker 4: There are two words written on it. I don't know what is It says discover Vancouver, Discover Vancouver. My next question for you is what is the name of the skate rink?
Speaker 1: Is it to do with cool runnings?
Speaker 4: Skates and skates?
Speaker 1: Oh no, no, yeah, yeah, skates and such. Yes, because Thursday night is clockwise. Yes. My next question for you dan't know is which Harry Potter movie are they watching at the bar? Oh shit, I have no idea.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a good little boat pool though it wasn't what was.
Speaker 1: It they still got to get four of the seven. It's the Necklace of Amulets. Harry Potter, the Necklace of Amulets, not a real Harry Potter.
Speaker 4: I thought it was a real film. Okay, how do you know it was? They say that's what they were.
Speaker 1: They're watching it on the TVO or something or on.
Speaker 4: The on the little Okay. And my final question for you is what is the name of the first pin that Lisa receives. Oh, it's from Shamoney, but I forgot that it was one of the four Olympic mascots.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I've forgotten.
Speaker 4: It's Chilbert. Chilbert. Yes, is the snowman. Is that the one that she buys with the one she's the one she gets given to it? Yeah, Chilbert is the Snowman.
Speaker 1: Yes, I have that little girl to give the give the doubles one little man. It was a little man. Oh that's a guy, of course, Yeah we did. He was so convincing.
Speaker 4: Yeah he was indeed, Yes, he fooled you as well.
Speaker 1: Right. And your final question, okay, but makes an Olympic mascot out of Homer's driver's license? When does homers driver's license expire. I'm going to say twenty twelve. You are correct, but it's actually yeah, well it's because Americans do everything ass backwards as it's on the twenty sixth of December twenty twelve, so twelve twenty six, twenty six twelve, that's what we would say. Yeah, that's also my body measurements.
Speaker 4: Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four finger discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four finger Discant family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast, our exclusive discord Facebook groups, early ad free access to the show. The list goes on.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 4: Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar redo each month, we'd love for you to show you support and join the four finger Discamp family on Patreon, and of course, our beloved Stonecutters top tier supporters on our fore fingerscamp patroon. Keeping the lights on here, starting with the amazing katG with her one hundred dollars support. We've got Glenn Gomez, Justin Parker, Zach prut, Shannimacker, Elliott, j O'Neil, Isabella Murphy, Rach Beasley, Stephen Roberts, Sean Dvp Anderson, Timothy Belson, Andrew Davis, Kevin Dental, Planned, Flood, Bello winder Bank, Jack McFadden, Heath Appleby, Adrick McCloud, Marchra Eleven Ginger and Pickle, Preston Murray, Tillia, Enriquez, Declan Phoenix, Brian McCoy, Logan b James Shephard, Joe Reading, Sec, Dave Pretzels McNally, Gavin Lang, Demi Miller, Charlie Joe, Abigail b Sharpcater and Craig Alti Smash Globster. Let's Getting to Wear review Mister Davis of Boy Meets Curl the Original Editor, as I said, was February fourteenth, twenty and ten. The top three films at the US box office. The Wolfman was number three, Percy Jackson in the Olympians, The Lighting Thief Sorry Percy Jackson, and number one was as you can imagine.
Speaker 1: Valentine's Day. Oh, Valentine's Day was a hit. On Valentine.
Speaker 4: We went through an ear, didn't we. Valentine's Day Day, Mother's Day. Love actually kicked that trend off, didn't it.
Speaker 1: I think so. Yeah. I think they were all directed by the same guy, Gary Marshall, a pretty woman fame. So it was Valentine's Day in New Year's Day? Was there another one? There was Mother's Day?
Speaker 4: Mother's Day as well?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you didn't get to a Father's Day.
Speaker 1: I don't think so. No, no chalkboard gag, but we did have. We did a Chitty Chitty Bang bang or a version thereof, as they came across their coping through. And yes, and the couch gag wasn't really a couchy gag either. I had to do with tarot cards.
Speaker 4: Yes, in a psychic reading that Grandpa has. After the psychic deals to death card, which is Maggie, Grandpa pushes it back toward her and she falls over dead.
Speaker 1: About a tarot card reading, No, I've had one. It proved semi sort of accurate in a lot of ways. Like, but then you will have deep regret you're doing it all wrong.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's like, oh okay, it's like you've known me all my life. The episode was written by Rob Lezebnik and directed by Chuck Sheets.
Speaker 1: I find it hard to believe that Chuck Sheets is really now.
Speaker 4: I know you said this before. Yeah, no, I believe it. Chuck Sheets. He didn't need a white fog Scooby Doo and stuff, look this up? American director animated animation director know for his work on The Simpsons. What's New Scooby Doo? My kids love that. Do you know how the Scooby Dooby do so?
Speaker 1: Simple?
Speaker 4: Plan that the band, the pop punk band whatever they are, did this song for what's Scuby do Wow? Bangerby do? The kids put it on? Like I want to hate this, but I can't. It's one thing kids shows do really well, as they hire pop punk and they fucking nail it. Yeah, Like Patrick Stump does all the spidery stuff, and I'm like, this is a genuine soundtrack that I would probably buy, Like he does really good work.
Speaker 1: Well, maybe I'll buy it for you for your best.
Speaker 4: Yeah, maybe please do so. And Recess the cartoon that I never really got into. I think I was just a little bit too old for it by the time it was released. But they're preparing the they're preparing March the kids are for her at date night, and how they're preparing her.
Speaker 1: Well, Lisa is giving her a sprits of a perfume and Art is telling her she doesn't look fat in that dress. HM.
Speaker 4: Correct, Indeed he does so unenthusiastically. Yeah, And Lenny and Carl are preparing home for his date as well. And I've just written here I like that, despite their misuse in recent times, Lenny Carson to always have homes back always. Therefore burns and walks in and says they can't leave until they find the leak in the heavy water piping facility. It seems like a real elaborate thing reason for them to stay back, right, which you never see them actually do. No, it's like something that seems it seems like escapades could ensue in here. Go in there and it's like there's water leak and there's pipes. It's dark, the lights are flickering. We don't see any of it. It's just they going to stay back. You could have just said you stay back because you have to anyway, But he's.
Speaker 1: Gone, Well, it seems like, oh, well, this is a task it's going to take for one Therefore, Yes, date night is ruined.
Speaker 4: And therefore Homer says, you please date night? Can I please not stay here? And Burn says, I know it's date nights. I'm going on a date with Princess Wilhelmina from Prussia on Prussia, it's not He's going to pop the question where is the Kaiser's gold? Marge is waiting sadly watching the Real Housewives of Cholbyville. Rosemary I believe has had her left boob produced because her husband missed date night. And my first note here was we're doing another one of these storylines back to back where Homer is late for something in ruins that night.
Speaker 1: For March correct is and also Homer just call.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's twenty ten, guys. People have phones. Homann gets home and apologizes for being so late. He says, we can still catch a movie. It will still be romantic, and they go and see love.
Speaker 1: What's it called?
Speaker 4: Oh, formulaically, that's right, yes, But unfortunately though, as what happens when you go to a movie, it's never peaceful anymore.
Speaker 1: Well no, no, I mean people are tending to treat the theater like their living room. They're on their phone speaking in they're using their outside voice inside.
Speaker 4: Having arguments, domestics.
Speaker 1: And the worst thing is Ben ben Affleck is in the movie that you are choosing to watch. I didn't mind that gag as much as we love Ben Afflecken catching strays. Affleck I did like Marchie, I can't hear the ad telling you want to be quiet, and then Homer says, we're going to enjoy this movie no matter what says starting Bet affleck that's it. We're out here. Because in twenty ten, was was he copying straight?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 1: I think he's. I think Athlete's back. Who was Argo twenty twelve, I think so. I think he's I think he's made the town. By twenty ten.
Speaker 4: Everyone remembers for that scene with the cops, he rocks up and then look at him. Not today, it doesn't I don't think even shakes his head. He just turns, just drives away. But you can see athletic. He's wearing the mask, but you can see him behind that mask acting is dude, Come on, man, I don't want to do this. And I wonder if that's ever happened in reality where they've rocked up a cops scene it and they've gone we'll give you the chance of fucking go. Don't thing that would really happen.
Speaker 1: You'd have to think so, right.
Speaker 4: I don't know. I feel like, once you're in that deep, if a CoP's there, you just got to go for it, right and just sort of take him out. You can't take any chances, I think so. I guess if you've got a mask on, we.
Speaker 1: Are talking about Boston. Yeah, that's true. The Town was in fact released in twenty eighth. It was ten okay y, but Little was at the point for his career. It was the second movie he directed, so he made Gone Baby, Gone of years earlier. I was like, Wow, this guy can actually make movies. Yeah, we like you, Ben Affleck. We like you.
Speaker 4: We liked you and we didn't or we didn't like you associated with Now we like you again, Yeah, and then we didn't. Was that pretty much?
Speaker 1: And then we did again something like that. Yeah, everyone gets into the firing Light. Our boy shall May is currently in it.
Speaker 4: How dare you badmouth?
Speaker 1: Which you didn't even do. That's the story for another time.
Speaker 4: Marsha, she just wants romance and they're driving around they find out a romance. Yeah, romance, yes, as well, and she's she's a hotty.
Speaker 1: She's not a dude. So this bromance has got interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then he finds they find an ice rink, skates and such. Thursday night is clockwise night, and Homer says, March is happy a spot that encourages handholding. So should we go commando or wear mittens? What are you doing mitten's or commando? I don't like wearing gloves at the best times. I'm not a gloves guy.
Speaker 1: Given them what we've just been saying about about ice skates though, and how sharp they are. I mean to get the feeling if I but all I'm clumsy, notoriously, so.
Speaker 4: They've got to be slice proof gloves and all.
Speaker 1: That's true. Yeah, mittens wouldn't help. I don't think I get the really nothing when ruined date, like like me losing a digit by falling over or me, you know, cutting up one of the lovely Luis's fingers with my clumbliness is what I'm saying. I don't think. I don't think she'd go too well with that. I think it might be the last straw off.
Speaker 4: I realized that they realized here that unfortunately it's closed for curling and Homer then realized that Waitnue, this is good we both of us. Is bowling for me and sweeping for you kind of a sexist joke, but I'm going to go with it. Yeah, well with March as a proud housewife. That's the thing, that's the thing, yes home, and then goes on a really random posh tangent about.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I did not like. What what's the point of this? It's got the sort of the tagline. There's like, well, this is like when you're like when you don't drink. It's like, no, this is not like him.
Speaker 4: Ever, hesn't he hasn'ten drinking his whole time. He's been good, You've loved on this date. He does this random speech what is happening here? But then we get a montage and then bonding over curling. They're having a great time and they drive off from the zamb I love that name.
Speaker 1: Zam Bonie.
Speaker 4: What a neighbor on a xam bonie we're still still married on the back, which I thought was nice.
Speaker 1: Now I I like this. I like the fact that they are sort of they found something they do together and that they enjoy doing together. But at the same time, This felt like the episode working overtime to say, you know, these guys still love each other, right, It's like, you know, a really performative couple who were putting up social media, so about that, still together, Still go on stran It's like, give it another year.
Speaker 4: We Nicole and I, well more so me Nicholas starting to join in. We mock people when they you know, it's like the eighth anniversary, ninth anniversary, and they post a message to the person, but post it to their Facebook wall and it's like, happy anniversary, sweetheart. I wouldn't know what I'd do with it. Blah blah blah. It's like you sent that message while you're sitting next to her on the couch. She couldn't just tell them that you have to let the world know. Hey, guys, guess what.
Speaker 1: I love her.
Speaker 4: I love her. Guys, you know she's mine. I love her. Don't don't worry.
Speaker 1: Are still I'm as guilty of as as the next person. But at the same time, I mean there are people who do it far too frequently.
Speaker 4: Because I said to Nikola this year anniversarial, I'm like, do you want me to put one of those post She's like She's like, there was a time when I did, and now I don't. She's like, I just I don't need I don't need anyone to know that. I.
Speaker 1: I will do anniversary stuff once a year on Instagram. That's the only time I really use Instagram. And but there that's it. I'll do anniversary stuff once a year. That's because it happens once a year. Wow, go, I think it outside the bus I was leaving.
Speaker 4: I'm like, see all the other part.
Speaker 1: Yeah, will you you think he's going to catch that? You see guy's brains that little it's like the bear in the car doing this. We now return you to boy meets Girl already in progress.
Speaker 4: Agnes is impressed with Marger's skills. Marsha's has been training her whole life. She once swept red wine off of a white carpet, and they asked them both to join their team and kick the wighams off as a result, Coral Wiggans in their bodysuits. Yeah weeks of course, sir, wign look to right. No bodysuits, that's your problem, my mind. They tell the kids about how much they love curling, and the kids kind of like most people is curling a real thing. Are making this up? Then Skinner arrives and as we're saying, bust, there's two letters at a conference before you a home visit. This isn't fair, and he says he's wearing cargo pants. They indicate that he's on cool business, not school business. And Marge makes a really bad reference as well, saying you slid in. The Olympics have now announced, by the way, that the mixed curling at the next one drill of the buses is now a thing, and Homer and visions Santa diving into ice cuz he doesn't what the winter of the mixings are, so he dives into ice, gets stuck under the ice. Penguins are the judges stupidity? We come back and then they say they're going to the trials.
Speaker 1: Yes, while you are off in your little reverie. See most told.
Speaker 4: Us this, We're going to the trials, and Homer envisions again as they go and get a coffee. Margin asks Agnes why she's so harsh on a Skinner, and she says love has nothing to do with winning. She talks about the Soldier Boy, Soldier Boy Jesus Christ had flashbacks and Soldier Boy how he was on leave from Korea and they had a fifty style relationship. Well he's Superman that oh apparently, yes it did indeed. Yeah, then the baby bump ruined her pole vaulting career. She was going to be an athlete in pole vaulting. She was very successful, but then he tried he kicked and caused the what is it just the bar? Yeah, yeah, to fall off and she didn't win. And she tells Marge not let her feelings get in the way, and she says, well, I think. She says, you don't get medals for being a loving wife, and margely, well they should, Well they don't. I'm like Marge's love for Homer. He just seems to be ott for the sake of the story.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, like I was saying earlier and the whole what was he saying? Oh, he's what do you like a minute? Always cute? Now what do you think? Something like that?
Speaker 4: But the National Curly Trails are happening a trial, sorry, happening right next to the National curling Trials. We'll get the mo appearance. Yeah, it's almost like h has a random Moe rocking up saying something silly and walking off again appearance. Then the we think as a girl gives Lisa the Chilbert pin, one of four Winter Olympic mascot pins, and she says, don't worry, she just let you know this collecting pins can.
Speaker 1: Be very addictive.
Speaker 4: Then Lisa sees the store and she has the vision of them saying by us with Marni. And turns out the girls actually a guy from a cruise ship. Or is this a reference to anything?
Speaker 1: I have no idea. I don't think so. It was bizarre.
Speaker 4: Then Homer throws too hard, but Marge thankfully has the skills to turn the kinetic energy back into potential energy, and they're off to Vancouver for the actual Winter Olympics. Indeed very quick. Yeah Olympics.
Speaker 1: Don't blink and you might miss it.
Speaker 4: They now arrive in Vancouver where you come for the film tax credits and stay for the marijuana. And then here we get the reference to the Simpsons movie. Okay, it's the crazy lady. You don't remember her, not really in the second Well, that's the whole reason I stopped. It's the point of Simpsons movie where I stop enjoying it. When Homer goes and had an epiphany with because Marge leaves him and she tapes over the wedding tape.
Speaker 1: You know that scene?
Speaker 4: Yes, I know that, And then he go he wanders off into the Alaska and then he comes across this woman who is just like in her TP or whatever, and she gives him some special medication and he has like an hallucination. And that's pretty much what was happening here.
Speaker 1: I had honestly forgotten about all that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And the thing is, it's been three years since the Simpsons movie. But I guess because he went to Canada, they thought it'd be a fun tie in. I just kind of went off forever and wasn't funny. They didn't go anywhere.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm surprised you didn't remember her. I remember a fair bit about the Simpsons movie. I don't remember that bit.
Speaker 4: There was just a whole part of the Simpsons movie with it. It's like going oh yo and just doing weird chants with each other, and you're like, I remember sitting in the cinema going what are we even doing? What is this?
Speaker 1: What is this happen?
Speaker 4: You would? You were going so well, Simpsons movie, what the hell happened here?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Then Bob Costas is at the twenty ten Vancouver Games, introducing everybody actually voiced Bob.
Speaker 1: Costas veteran commentator.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and he says, in Beijing they chose director who Jiang Yimu, And in Canada they have chosen.
Speaker 1: Ivan Rightman was brought to you.
Speaker 4: Films such as Ghostbusters. Indeed, introducing all the athletes to the Ghostbusters theme.
Speaker 1: They are a bit rough on Ivan Rightman. They're also Canada's most famous director, isn't that David Cronenberg? It?
Speaker 4: Oh, I would say, so what did he?
Speaker 1: What did he directed? Directed The Fly? Oh? What else? Scanners, The Brood, Crash, Video Drome, Dead Ringers, History of Violence, Eastern Promises.
Speaker 4: I think if you went into a room and named all those movies and then named Ghostbusters, which film?
Speaker 1: Do you think that was just being That was just me being a nerd?
Speaker 4: So your favorite director? Yes, as opposed to the most famous director. I mean Ivan Ruyman did also produce Space Jam.
Speaker 1: Sir, correct, But there was a direct to kindergoten Cap did he? Oh? Yeah? What else? And Twins and Junior?
Speaker 4: Is he did all those? Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, you watched The Late Show, right, The Great Australian comedy. Yeah, when they did the bit where Tony Martin came dressed as Old Schwartz and he was like, I made comedies with Ivan, rightman a genius.
Speaker 4: Junior what a crazy.
Speaker 1: Con Oh my god, was a pregnant man. I mean, twins are hilaria?
Speaker 4: How many times twins I've never seen Junior though, Yeah.
Speaker 1: You can live with that, Junior. I think there's a reason people go he made twins in kindergarten cop and also Junior. Yeah, but you know the story about twins though, right, is that apparently I think you've told me, Yeah, that the pitch meeting was just Schwarzenegger the Vito twins.
Speaker 4: Yeah, aliens Chip.
Speaker 1: Making a dollars man.
Speaker 4: That is amazing, that story. I'll never get tired of hearing that one. But Bob, as I said, so, he's sorry, I'm running interesting. All the athletes to the Ghostbusters theme, you know, rasped me by the end, because so many countries.
Speaker 1: Who are gonna call? Yes? Yeah.
Speaker 4: They then released the Canadian dove, which is the beaver, and then chew the flame pole and yeah, anyway, went out the Olympic village. Well you like that one, and Barta's found a new friend in Milhouse.
Speaker 1: Hey, Lee, want to come with I'm snowboarding with my new Canadian friend Milhos. Who Bert, your sister's hotter than a Calgary brush fire? Mind if I ask a Rooge? Sorry, but I was planning to stop by the Olympic Pin Center to fill in a few small gaps in my collection, you know, just to get me through the day. She says, looney as a one dollar coin a hooser, what's some Canadian club boy? I thought that was a pretty funny joke about Canadian club but I'm sucker for a good pun like that.
Speaker 4: Yes, Homer is now raiding the buffet, and the skinners are saying that he's dragging them down. They went Homer off the team. Marshalls, well, who made you coach? The hat? The hat makes me coach? He says, I'm the coach. Homer then slides off because you ever, he isn't talking about him. He's like, oh, maybe I am the problem here, and he so now.
Speaker 1: I like that. That's that gives you steaks, or it gives you something to work with.
Speaker 4: He could have quit the team because he goes, I'm bringing you down and.
Speaker 1: Then out of loyalty. She says, no, if you quit.
Speaker 4: It, I need you, I quit and he goes, okay, well he goes, and then he feels like part of the Temples because she goes, I need you with me homie as opposed to oh, you're shit at this and now fucked my shoulder up. Now everything we do together ruins, it ends up being bad for me. Meanwhile, we go back to doing the exact same thing again.
Speaker 1: Or he could like try too hard to improve and she has to try even harder to sort of make up for him trying too hard, and that's how a shoulder gets messed up. And it's like, I don't want to blame you, but it is kind.
Speaker 4: Of your well, or he pretends to have an injury so he doesn't have to do it because he's embarrassed. You go anyway, but we get notice to the writer's room. We had a really random bit here where he sort of slides off into bob Sled whilst pondering about what he can do.
Speaker 1: Ends up left over from the original script, perhaps where they when he.
Speaker 4: Was inlid and Meggie's in there, and Meggie's in there and just crawls off into the car pup by herself.
Speaker 1: Find something to do with Maggie. If you gotta do better than that le you've heard behind.
Speaker 4: Paying someone or something, you know, it's not funny enough to be that kind of gag. Lisa and finds the pin for the mascots of the nineteen twenty four games, and I think this is who you thought Chamona, Yeah, Nwi and we unwi. And she says, can I have it on account as in an account that I wanted? And then you've had that one before?
Speaker 1: What you say? It just wasn't funny the first day.
Speaker 4: And then he says, I'll stop you for the pearl, so she does, so he puts it in the box with kids jewelry, I think birthday checks and pets and beloved pets. We've got puppy Googoo was in their millhouses are. But then sees Lisa busking and she's singing or she's playing the theme. Yeah, intro theme, Yeah she does in the intro. Then so a woman walks past, doesn't give Lisa any money, says I saw you giving to the beach. You've got to pay for that. Do you know we gave a busker ten dollars the other day they.
Speaker 1: Were that good. Well, did you actually have ten dollars on you or did you do the whole because you see buskers these days there, people aren't carrying around much cash as they use. I won't do that like QR cod for tips. Yeah, I don't know, man, that could be malware.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I had ten dollars in my wallet. But holy they're playing dancing in the moonlight, but they're playing on like a synthesizer. And the singer she was really good to stand at the paco here at the same strand, yeah, strand and well, I was just with Holly and Holly says can we stop and listening? And Holly was just like grooven and dancing to it. And I was like, you've you've impacted my daughter here. She's really enjoyed this. And she's like, can we give them? And I was like, I've got ten dollar fine? And it fucking made the musician's day.
Speaker 1: I bet it would.
Speaker 4: Yeah, just seeing it, like they stopped playing for a second, I was just like, look, they gave her a high five. They're like ten dollars.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I'll tell you what, that's probably going to be a little bit of a I would wager ten dollars there's going to be a formative memory for Holly. Yeah, she'll remember. Oh yeah, I remember that music. Gave me a high five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, very cute.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'm trying to remember the most I've ever given a busker. I don't think I've ever given folding money. I might have given a fiver to some kid who's playing like a very bloozy version of the Harry Potter theme, okay on their sacks outside the coals and Shannon Avenue. I'm like, what you're doing? All right? Here, you go have a fiver old dolls. Maybe I'll go to the movies ban thatseuf funny story.
Speaker 4: This to always be a kid outside of the Gelon Cat's footy ground playing the club song on the trumpet when the Cats were beIN right and last year maybe was in the year before the Greater Western Sydney Giants the GBS Giants beat Gelong down here and then walking out and this kid starts going, starts playing their song, and I'm like, read the room, buddy. Oh and I've never seen the kids since time I saw.
Speaker 1: Y lynched charld trumpet.
Speaker 4: He's always playing the Geelong song. And they got beaten by the giants. He starts playing their song mind like it sounded good, but he was never.
Speaker 1: To be seen again with like trumpet sized wrote chubbed it.
Speaker 4: Right downs clacker. Oh boy, I was just thinking, mate, this ain't it? But yes. At Lisa's busking, she's annoyed the people aren't donating money to it because she wants to buy more pins. She rants about somebody only giving her a dime. She says she's fine, but she's clearly not. And what a really awkward scene here where he says, give me all your pins and she's She says, I'm not wearing a dress. I'm only wearing pins. I'm like, wait, eight year old's nude. Kind of weird.
Speaker 1: No, but work, how are the pins being hell today?
Speaker 4: Stuck into your flesh is bizarre? Really bizarre. Then it's time for the curling semi finals. Marge is warming up by sweeping the snack bar and then just hating on Homer, and she says she'll sweep harder and harder because without Homer, I'm a broom without a stone. I'm no use for anything. And I was like, what the hell is going on here? No use for anything.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like we're we're not Torius Simps. Yeah, damn no, but yeah, Marge's giving us a run for her money.
Speaker 4: But then Agnes says to Skin, I'm glad you saw love once before you died.
Speaker 1: The hell what the fuck is going on here?
Speaker 4: Then the Bob Costas makes a gag about Lisa's pin courtesy of Tom Brokaw, and he says, I love to learn about Lisa. What the hell is going on? What the hell is going on?
Speaker 1: How did these jokes make the final.
Speaker 4: I don't understand what joke?
Speaker 1: No, well, I should have done the quote Marx.
Speaker 4: Yeah, margin does her shoulder? Does a shoulder? Is that an Australian thing? You do? You to do something? Do your hammy? Does her shoulder? Trying to save Homer's terrible throw.
Speaker 1: Yeah, imagine watching like say NFL coverage in the state, like, oh.
Speaker 4: He's done a shoulder, he's done a hammy. He's doing a heavy that nosy thing that's gotta be that do a hammy. But I did, Like here, they succeed, they win, and in the crowd we have someone with Homer's face on their stomach, and then old guy with Agnes's face on his stomach. That was sprinkly. They're off to the gold medal match and he says, it's sort a bit of sweet melodrum. This sort of sweet melodrama is what Olympic coverage feeds off of. Were vampire sucking on the shadded dreams of others because Marge's hurt her shoulder.
Speaker 1: Well, you could say we had that recently with the most recent Winter Olympics, when speed skater Lindsay Vaughn returned after she was she was formally married to Tiger Woods. Yeah, I think she'd been injured her. I'm sure she did it right out of it, but you know, she returned to speed skating after a while because I think she'd been injured, had had a knee injury. Yeah, she came back and she was doing really well and then all of a sudden, just crack and just messed up and knee again. I was like, oh man, this is probably the most we're talking about. The Winter Olympics.
Speaker 4: We used to have a player for gelon called Daniel Menzel who did like a cl it took like a year off come back, first match back banking acl like in the other knee and you're like oh no way, you can't you seriously you come up again? Did the a cl again? Everyone's like, maybe it's just maybe this is.
Speaker 1: The universe telling you something. Dan, Yeah, good player.
Speaker 4: It would have been a great player. That's it was a real shame. Yeah. But every time as a Geelong fan you're watching him on the field, you're like, Noah, wrap him up in cotton wool. But if it says that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's not fair, run down, you'll run.
Speaker 4: It says that Marge will never curl again and Sweden will now get.
Speaker 1: Okay, so maybe that's maybe that's why she has to retire. So I mean, even though she's good with the left arm.
Speaker 4: But she wins God with her left arm.
Speaker 1: She's a lefty. Yeah. And then I'm trying to throw these guys a bone.
Speaker 4: And Sweden, I thought Sweden was like a nice place, but apparently they're joy is all but the shadow, the pain casts.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I'm Swedish happy, don't you think of the Germany?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Marge's an annoyed while she's folding clothes with one arm, her other arms in a sling. She doesn't want Homer's help because everything he ends up doing together with her and it's bad.
Speaker 1: For her, so yeah, sorry, unearned dramatic tension there.
Speaker 4: Then he says, you're hot when you're horny, and she's like, I'm mad, I'm the horny. I'm maze. Oh you're you're when you're angry.
Speaker 1: I'm like, what what is going on?
Speaker 4: Reveals that she and she didn't reveals I'm left handed. I just didn't want people to think that I was weird. Wait, well, there is a.
Speaker 1: Long history of school children who initially would start riding with it. This is way back there.
Speaker 4: We're twenty one seasons deep.
Speaker 1: I know, and we're in the twenty ten sit. Yeah, I'm pretty sure left is not regarded as you know, a sport of the devil.
Speaker 4: Bart and Lisa are now walking through a want to start the woods or something, and he says to give her all the all of her pins, and she's also hiding someone her hair, and then he says, now, put your pearls back on. We're gonn get coffee and you'll be fine, and then she explains how she no longer has the pearls without them, she's just a big maggie. We're now at night and Marge's cutting up so but.
Speaker 1: I did like that, you know. She was like, is this tough love? That's my like soft hate.
Speaker 4: Soft hate.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now at night Bart is cutting home as driver's lines and I couldn't work out what he was doing here. And he draws the eyes and I'm like, oh, he's making a pin. I've seen this pin photos of this in various things on mean groups and stuff, and I'm like, what in the hell is this from? And there you know, and now I know it is Fatov, the Russian the upcoming from the twenty fourteen Fashion Winter Olympics. So he goes to the wise guy and says, this guy represents the Russian spirit of sloth and alcoholism that work in dreams of dancing with Fatov and exchanges the pearls back and that's the end of that story.
Speaker 1: And that's the end of that story.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he buys a little fake plastic pin. Oh you whatever. I don't know, man. Now, guys, I hope you're enjoyed this week's show. Remember, if you do love everything we do here at four Finger Discount, the best way to show your support is by joining the four Finger Discant family on Patreon. You can do so for as little as just one dollar per month, but for five dollars you get access to hundreds of hours of bonus podcast, our exclusive discord Facebook groups, early add free access to the show. The list goes on. Obviously, we know you'd probably be happier with the dollar, but if you do have a spared dollar redo each month, we'd love for you to show you support and join the fingeris Scamped family on Patreon.
Speaker 1: I remember when we were in my family and I were in Russia in nineteen seventy nine. Yeah and yeah, this is when the Moscow Olympics were the following year, and there was a whole lot of Olympic paraphramily around. I don't know if we've still got it at home, but we are. I think his name was Misha, the bear mascot of the of the Russian Olympics, had a little Olympic belt on. He was the cutest.
Speaker 4: Who was ours the cooker baro of the porcupine and on the kidnap and the.
Speaker 1: We do we have a room? Was it kangaroo? I don't think so.
Speaker 4: Platypus platypus, Okay, cook barroo platypus? Was there was three?
Speaker 1: Was it Reagan?
Speaker 4: Yeah? No, I'm talking about the one from Yeah, what were their names? Come on, I have vivid memories when the two thousand Olympics were on and the flame was the torch was running through Geelong and everyone was like lined up on the streets watching it run past. It was like my first sort of memory of the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people lighting daries offered, were they? But I wouldn't put it past Gelong.
Speaker 4: But now we have Bob Costas and says they're they're going to return to the sudden death hockey game between Russian and USA once they finished watching this forfeiture signing ceremony.
Speaker 2: Team captain Seymour Skinner is preparing to sign. There's been some question as to whether he'll use his middle name.
Speaker 1: I guess we're.
Speaker 2: About to find out. Okay, here comes the pan. The ink appears to be blue.
Speaker 1: No surrender, Let's skim the Olympics. A miracle, but this time on ice, because the miracle on ice was yes, when the American hockey team, but the Russian hockey team. Yes.
Speaker 4: Now everyone is back home watching. You think the people at Mos are watching, but they know they're watching Harry Potter. They're watching the quidditch game. Then the Skinners are there and the Simpsons they're doing that the gold medal match. Skinners stick unfortunately breaks it is it called a stick? We're gonna call it a stick? It breaks a broom, yes, a broom. It breaks. And this is where Agnes says before now, I never knew a mother cauled, love a child wind lose. I'm taking off a pizza and ice cream. We're gonna sit at the same table. Sure, great, okay.
Speaker 1: So happy that mother and son, this mother and child reunion is only a moment away.
Speaker 4: We just know that next time, we said, and she's going to be hating on him again? Correct, why not, Marge? Then she does it, She succeeds, They win home accidentally waves the Swedish flags of the USA flag and Homasa's how's this for a date night? And then Agnes taunts Sweden and Homer dances were fat off. And that is the end of the episode.
Speaker 1: That is the end of the episode.
Speaker 4: Last it was off the rails.
Speaker 1: Indeed, that says, how does my ice taste? Or something? Which I don't know.
Speaker 4: I really couldn't get.
Speaker 1: We just don't know. We made it to the end though, folks.
Speaker 4: Yes, it started strong, and then it just I don't know. It's almost like they didn't know where they were going by the end. Wrap this up, Wrap it up.
Speaker 1: Wrap it up. Yes, it's a whole bunch of bits and pieces that didn't quite jell together all that well.
Speaker 4: It feels like they wrote this episode and then got to the end and went, ah, we need to have a resolution to the Agnes Skinner story quick. Just throw something in there, because there was no build.
Speaker 1: Up to it. Absolutely not. That was all hate because you had until there was live.
Speaker 4: You had Agnes saying all this stuff and Marge saying no, no, no, you can love this, you can love that. But the last thing we heard Agnes say to Skinner was I'm glad you saw love once before you died. That's the last thing we saw. Or say to him.
Speaker 1: What do we learn, Bomber?
Speaker 4: Would you learn from the episode of the Davis.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you what I didn't learn how to curl. I still don't get the physics of it.
Speaker 4: I don't understand neither. So did they chip away at the ice?
Speaker 1: I guess they must not, too sure.
Speaker 4: I learned that. I'm disappointed that Fatov was not the mascot of the twenty fourteen.
Speaker 1: He seemed like a cute little guy. Yeah yeah, good.
Speaker 4: Dancer, rode forward, your names will be all right. It's time for the Guy Davis New Name Championship. The current leader board stands at this In first position we have Philip Jay Hawkins on nineteen points, in second position Kyle Muldoon on ten, and in third position we have Nathan Briggs on eight points. Take it away, mister Davis.
Speaker 1: Okay, one point goes to curl Interrupted.
Speaker 4: That is Steve Roberts, which I believe is his first points for the Steve for the season. But on Steve, for Steve, I think we're going to call it the Steve the Season, the season in.
Speaker 1: Honor of Steve Roberts. Well down, Steve, one point to you, and two points goes to Michael Bell, Mike curl Ian Asley. Oh, he's never going to give it up.
Speaker 4: No, not indeed, even though these are his first points as well, and actually one of them two pointers.
Speaker 1: Well we're going to give him up. We're going to give up two points to Ashley. But three points goes too. Do man sing the stone.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 1: It's not bad. Who gave it to us?
Speaker 4: It's another newbie. It's David Mott. Three newbies at the Liddle Boy Wow. Three new wildcard entrance, one of the Motts Spot one to the Moths Spot. Indeed, yes, Mott Squad on mot Spot. Well you could say hot spot. Yeah, I think of the mod Squad. You could do that too, but that means that means Philip J. Hawkens are still in first position on nineteen points. Second. We have Kyle mal doing clever Kyle on ten and Nathan Briggs on eight.
Speaker 1: A few more wild cards in there though.
Speaker 4: We do indeed, yeah, little people at the end of the season get their name right out if they have the name drawn out of the of the draw for the wild card at the end of this season. Because remember, if you want to be part of the Guy Davis New Name Championship, you'll be supporter of ours on Patreon and you get you just got to comment, have your name, have one of your entrant entries ready out by Guy or chosen by Guy. And even if you don't win the championship, you will have you will have your name in the wild caid draw for the end of the season. But this has been our review of Boy meets curl Plenty of upcoming interviews we've just lined up. We can announce it now. Al Jean's coming on the show. What Yeah, it's gonna be fun. We're going to be talking to former writer Jay Cogan.
Speaker 1: WHOA.
Speaker 4: We're gonna be reviewing Last Exit to Springfield. Yes, Mark Kirkle is coming on the show. Holy Moly, talk about dancing Homer. There's some other big names that I won't reveal everything just yet, but there's some of the exciting names that are coming up here. Simpsons related names up on four figure discounts, so look at for that in your feeds, and remember, if you want early and ad free access to those episodes, you can support us on Patreon. Link for that is in the description of this podcast. Thanking to everybody, by the way, who has been rating and reviewing us on Apple Podcasts and Spotify. Plenty of five star reviews on Spotify in the last few weeks, so keep that up. It is much appreciated, and if you want to get in touch with us, it is mailbag at four finger discount dot com dot au. The next season twenty one episode of The Simpsons we shall be reviewing is the Color Yellow. They shall be up in a couple of weeks as well, but for now, Saidavis, any Final Word's first incredible listeners out.
Speaker 1: There well, much like a simour skinner. Danna and I were here on cool business s.