Speaker 1: Yeah, it's Halloween time for those of you in the United States. I think Halloween's celebrated in Europe in some other countries as well, but here in the US it is a big deal. And it's the actual ending of summer and the beginning of autumn, so that means the fall weather is upon us. And I have noticed it is getting colder by the way. November two, set your clocks back one hour. That means that it's going to be darker earlier here in the United States. You know, I think there's a I think it's either Arizona or there's one other state that is not participating in Daylight Saving Time. But anyhow, happy Halloween, and also remember to get up in your outfits, your devil, your warlock, or your witch outfit or whatever to scare away the evil spirits. That's what the ancestors, what our ancestors were doing in Europe and in other countries, they would dress up on Halloween and gather and move out the spirits in the house, in the barn wherever you were living, so that you had the rest of the year to live in peace. Hey, this is Cliff, your host of Earth ancients. This is a special edition of the program, and we are welcoming somebody who I've known about for a year years. Actually his name is Michael Mead.
Speaker 2: And if there is.
Speaker 1: Anyone on the planet who you can consider kind of a storyteller but also an avatar, someone who is very versatile in mythology, anthropology and wisdom traditions, that's Michael Mead. And he's probably best known for his work with Robert Bligh in the Men's Movement in the nineteen eighties and nineties. But he is somebody who is brilliant and is also again a storyteller who mixes mythology and storytelling into his talks. And we're going to hear from him shortly to talk about ancient history and how it applies to us today and personal success, personal activation, so that we're not lost in space right now here in the United States, we are not only dealing with political unrest, but there's also a sense of personal unrest and a lot of issues coming up with work with income, with just how stable our country is. We're not really stable right now. There's a lot of infighting and I don't have to say anymore other than you know, it's not very comfortable for a lot of us, including me, and so hopefully it'll pass. It won't be an everlasting kind of thing. But the program today is called responding to the Planet's Calling, and it's all about your own personal calling. It also has to do with what you're here to do, and we're each incarnating on this planet known as Earth, to be of service, to also have satisfaction, and also to have a sense of purpose, and that can mean a ton of things. Working with your kids doesn't have to be working with other people, can be working with your family as a parent, as a mother, as a father, making sure your kids are taken care of, that they're happy and healthy, and they're being prepared for adulthood, so forth and so on. But for me, when I hear about a calling, it's more a deep sense of purpose. And I think that's really critical for us to consider today as having purpose in our life, because if you don't have a purpose, you're just living in nine to five existence and that gets really boring pretty quickly. And you wake up, you go to work, you and you repeat the thing, and then you have two days of the weekend just to sit and sleep, which I have to admit I love to sleep. In I mean, I mean I get.
Speaker 2: Up at Let's see, I get up at seven thirty every morning. That's not that early.
Speaker 1: I have friends that get up at at five o'clock to go to work. They have to commute. But I get up at seven thirty. But there's some mornings I'll get up and I'll sleep till eleven. I'll wake up at six seven thirty. Excuse me, I say eleven. I meant to say I'll sleep till nine.
Speaker 2: Very rarely.
Speaker 1: Well, I sleep till ten, but I'll get up and I'll wake up, and then I'll kind of lay in bed and then I'll turn around and I'll.
Speaker 2: Sleep for another hour or more.
Speaker 1: So anyhow, So today's program is responding to the planet's calling. And my guess is Michael Mead. We're really lucky today to have a renowned storyteller, author, and scholar of mythology, anthropology, and psychology that's.
Speaker 2: None other than Michael Meade.
Speaker 1: And I've been a huge fan of his for many, many years. And I don't know how he did this. We pulled a rabbit out of the hat to get him on the program because he's so in demand and so great interest to so many people, and we're gonna talk to him today about the past and the present and a theme that he's been bringing up quite a bit. So, Hey, Michael, welcome to Earth Anterests. Great to have you on the program.
Speaker 3: Great to be with you. Cliff.
Speaker 1: You have been presenting a series on YouTube on calling, and I have found it so important because of our current situation here in the United States, Specifically, people are depressed, they feel lost, they feel disenfranchised, and I want you to explain to us what calling means and if you can, can you talk about how our ancestors received and acknowledged the calling?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll try.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 3: It actually begins with a kind of decision about the nature of the human soul, and there's typically two big theories. There's lots of smaller theories, but the two big options are that a person comes into the world with an empty soul, and the Latin for that was tabula rasa the scrape clean table. There's nothing in there. And then your parents write on you, and your neighborhood writes on you, and your teachers write on you, and your cultures write on you, and you become the aggregation of those things that have impressed you. Or been impressed upon you. That's the one theory that's not a very ancient theory actually, but it's a very popular theory. The ancient theory to bring the past into it, found in almost all cultures around the world, is that each person comes into the world already gifted and already aimed. And so that's the idea of the pre not pre shaped, but pre scripted soul, not in the sense that it's predetermined that it has to go a certain way, but it's more like a living plot line. And so the components of that gifted soul, not the empty soul now, but the gifted soul are components. One of them might call it the genius. Genius is an old Latin term that doesn't mean high IQ or specific talent. It means the spirit that's already there. That's the definition of genius. Each person comes into the world with the genius quality or genius spirit in their soul that is at the core of their heart and at the core of their being. And then what happens. Because we are born into the realm of time and space, we forget this thing that is coming in with us, so we don't know about it. Our families don't know about it. The family doesn't know the gifts or the aims or the destiny of their own children. It's set up that way because of eventually the children will leave home because there's a missing thing. They cannot find it at home. They have to enter the world in order to awaken this thing that turns out to be inside. Calling is when the person goes out into the world and has an experience of awakening, which is called the calling. It calls a person into a greater sense of self, into a greater sense of meaning, into a direction that's meaningful. But that calling is calling to the genius that's already in there. I think that's essential to understanding it. The calling may seem to come from the outside, but it's calling to qualities that already exist in a person. And that's why it's so meaningful and so profound. So this is one of the oldest ideas. And so if we begin with the notion that each person, each soul born, is unique, each person is unique. That means they're going to have a unique blend of talents and capacities, gifts and aims, and the calling is trying to awaken that. When a person responds to the calling. They are bringing something to the world that isn't already in the world. Their unique creative capacity, their unique genius qualities, and you know, things that make not just them meaningful, but there are gifts given to the human community, and it makes everybody more meaningful. And so I'm not sure you asked the thing about how ancient cultures would have seen the calling. What I'm talking about when I say genius is the spirit that we're born with. That's from the pre Roman culture. So and then you can find that there's a beautiful story from the Mayan culture about the boy is born and he's given the name Bodare, which in its old translation means gifted, it means purposeful, it means talented, it means destined. In other words, he represents all children born that have the qualities in them. And then what happens. A person has to wander into the world and and in a sense, in counter circumstances that awaken these qualities from within. That awakening is responding to the call.
Speaker 1: And are there writings that you define as a subject matter calling in perhaps Greek or you mentioned Maya. I think of the Maya texts the Pupavu, which describes the twins but perhaps has some fragments of calling in it.
Speaker 3: Okay is a good example. It's a very unusual book, very mysterious book, but it has in it a creation story where, uh, they have the multiple gods like a lot of ancient cultures. Did modern people think they didn't have the notion of the singular god. But that's a complete misunderstanding. They had a diversity of gods that were secretly one deity. That's the real old idea. But anyway, the Mayan gods, like one of them is Heart of Heaven, Heart of Earth. Those are the names they have. They create the world what we call the world, and particularly the earthly world of mountains and rivers and streams and forests and all that kind of stuff. And then when it's finished, they feel like there's something missing. And it's Heart of Heaven who starts to try to figure out what's missing. And he comes to the conclusion that what's missing is two things. A being that is conscious of being part of creation, and also a being that is grateful for the gift of life. And so then he begins to try to create that kind of being. He makes three tries at it. The first try he tries to make it out of mud, and then a heavy ring comes and the beings melt. The second one they make it out of sticks, and then what happens is those sticks become very rigid in their hearted and hard headed, and they keep, they keep creating technologies that are offensive to the animals and the plants, and so finally Heart of Heaven has to bring a heavy rain down to demolish those sticks. And the third try they try to make it out of corn, and of course corn is the sacred element in Mayan cosmology, and so it's then those corn people who wind up having this realization that they have a gift of life, that they are gifted, that life is a gift that exists in them, and the implication is uniquely but also that has the realization that creation itself is meaningful. And so then the idea is we have all descended from them. So that part of the story, to me, it's connected to the may tale I was telling where the boy is considered to be gifted. Oh there, he's the gifted one, but he's really everyone. And so I think it does show up in the pulp o Bool which is a wild magical mythology, but it shows up in the creation part of the Pulpa bull and so so creation stories which exist all over the world, and most cultures have more than one creation story. Even the Bible has two creation stories in it, as if to say there cannot be one story of creation, that creation is itself an expression of diversity and multiplicity that requires more than one story. And so there's a way in which understanding human life requires that we understand creation. And because of this, if a person is gifted and aimed let's say they're aimed at being a musician, or aimed at being a poet, or aimed at being a or aimed at being an inventor, that that's what is waiting to awaken in them when it awakens that person. Each person that awakens that way will bring something to the world that is not already in the world. In other words, we become co creators, or we join the creative energy of the world. And of course everyone until modern times understood that creation wasn't something that happened back there, and we're in the afterglow of it. Creation is ongoing every day. The forest rises and falls all the time, the trees that were the tallest become the fallen down, breaking down elements from which the next forest comes. We've been living in that mystery of recreation all along, except modern people have separated from that for various reasons. And in that separation, modern people have found themselves separate, separate from the creative energies that exist inside each person. All the people weighing for the next election to fix all that is broken now are going to be waiting for a long time. It's a matter of reimagining culture and recreating it. And if everybody is gifted and aimed, then no one has to be a hero and fix it all or pretend they're doing that, because it's going to be the awakening of the creative energies in the gifted people that are uniquely all around the world. That's what changes the world, not a single idea and certainly not a committee meeting. What changes the world. They used to say, change the soul, change the world. And what they mean is each soul is capacity to bring elements of change and recreation and beauty and healing to the world. And that's I think why the whole dynamic of calling is so important, right now we as an old saying that in dark times there's an acceleration of calling, when the structures are all breaking down, they're no longer in the way, and there's more calling kind of enters the world. We change this world by each of us responding as best we can to our own calling. And as near as I can tell, no one lacks a calling, because no one lacks a soul.
Speaker 1: But Michael, in the muck and the mire, in the despair that we feel, how do we recognize the calling?
Speaker 3: So if this stuff was simple, it wouldn't have been so readily forgotten. It's a bit tricky. If the person is unique, then the calling can be unique. And so but here's an old idea. It's a kind of an old rule that by say twenty two years of age, each person has a genuine experience of the core depth of their own soul, or else they die. It's an old idea that is to say, everyone is gifted when they come into the world, and in many stories, everyone is aimed at a destiny, and everybody, by birthright is going to have at least one experience of what that is inside them. That is this combination of genius qualities and calling that leads to a meaningful life. And so people always say why do you know that? And of course you know you have to go to personal experience in a way. I mean, you can know what's in books, but you know it in your own body and soul when it happens to you. So when I was thirteen, my thirteenth birthday.
Speaker 1: My.
Speaker 3: Aunt my mother asked me what I wanted for my birthday. And I had learned from sad experience not to say what I wanted because I wasn't going to get it. We're a poor family, and if I said what I wanted and I didn't get it, we're all that much more depressed for a while. So I just said it doesn't matter, I don't want anything. But my aunt asked me what I was interested in, and at thirteen, I was interested in history. I was trying to understand what the hell happened here. I was going up in a poor neighborhood where everybody had lost their dreams and it was kind of like despairing in a way, and I wanted to understand it. And I thought from what I had heard, history could explain it. But actually it can't. So my aunt goes off to the bookstore to get me a history book. First person in my family to go to a bookstore, so further I know. And she's very short, and she asks where the history books are, and they point to an upper shelf and she goes and reaches up, gets a book, they wrap it, she gives it to me. I start to tear the paper off, and on the cover there's like a young guy sitting on a flying horse shooting an arrow into the air. And I go, whoa this And my aunt goes, oh, it's the wrong book. Give it back, and I'm going, no, I want this book. When like tugging, and then I ripped the rest of the paper off and it says Mythology by Edith Hamilton. So thirteen years old, I am given the right wrong book, which is the language that I'm intended to learn about and live with. I read the whole book that night, almost the entire book, and I literally, in this you know house in the in this New York city, in a poor neighborhood, I'm going, this is it, This is it. I don't have to grow up to qualify. I don't have to be not a poor person to qualify.
Speaker 2: I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't have to go to school to qualify. I'm just finding this language in which I qualify to be part of the whole meaning of the world. That's what happened to me. But my family actually didn't know, what are you talking about? What is that book? You know? You ran? Is right?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 3: And then I go to the teachers in school and tell them. They say, what this makes no sense? So I have this knowledge now, this which is a tune to me because I'm going to turn out to be a star teller. And so the right wrong book just landed there at a time when I had enough self awareness to realize, oh, this is totally meaningful to me. But it probably took me twenty years to realize what that meant in my life and also to get it confirmed by others. So here's the other thing. Everyone has a gift or a mixture of gifts and abilities, and everyone has a calling, but those gifts have to be confirmed by someone outside ourselves. It's just part of the understanding of human community that all on ourselves on our own, we won't trust ourselves, but as someone we respect says, yeah, you're pretty good at that. Like I had a friend who could just picked up a guitar and could play music. I mean, I never did figure out how he did it. It was like a gift he could just play, but he didn't really own it because he was insecure about it. And then when he finally met an advanced guitar player who said to him, you're pretty good, that was it. Then he knew that with his gift. So it's our gift, but it has to be confirmed by someone outside of ourselves, and that gives us the hint that what is gifted to us, which means that we are intended to give that gift is also a gift for others. It's a gift for the community, not just for one self. And that's why I say, if we want to change the world, the more people that awaken to what their gifts naturally are and what they're calling should be, that's how the world changes. Someone over here is figuring out how to purify streams and lakes, and someone over here is figuring out how to heal certain illnesses with natural means, and someone over here is figuring out how to negotiate conflicts that seem unresolvable. And when the more that's happening. The more people are responding to those callings that are aligned with their energenius, then all of a sudden, it's starting to change from below, and then you get ready to change the structures and the political dynamics. So I think it comes down to, as the ancient people said, the individual psyche. And that's why I keep talking about calling so much.
Speaker 1: We're gonna take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves, and we will return shortly with my guest today, Michael Meade discussing your Calling. Will be right back. My guest today is Michael Meade. He is a storyteller at expert in mythology and anthropology, noted for his work with ancient civilizations, and the program today is Understanding your Calling. It sounds like in the story of your thirteen year old discovery of this book on mythology is a wonderful representation. But it sounds like you're saying that when we incarnate, we are given signs and were prepared in some way to receive the calling. Is that a good interpretation?
Speaker 3: Yeah, That the world will collude with the personal life so that that which already exists within us gets awakened, provoked and awakened. A lot of stuff happened to me when I was thirteen, six months after I got that book. I'm growing up in a counter rough neighborhood. I'm in local gang. We called it a crew, and we with the younger crew, which trying to imitate the older guy who who were the hoods, you know, And we're running around acting that out to one degree or another. And we used to go to this movie theater on Saturdays, but we didn't have any money, say we would sneak in. We had all kinds of ways to sneak into this theater. And one day we're in there and I have to go up to the bathroom. It's upstairs in above where everybody's sitting. And I'm on my way up to the bathroom. I'm still thirteen and thirteen and a half now, and all of a sudden, there's two guys in front of me, and two guys behind me, and two guys on my side, and they're all bigger than me, and they're going with me, or really I'm going with them. Now we get to the bathroom, they throw me onto the floor next to a urinal, and now there's seven of them, and they're surrounding me and they've got like knives and a couple of them have sharpened monkey wrenches, and I realized who they are. They're this group called the monkey Wrench and they're known for doing lots of harm and they are going to hurt me. And it turns out that it's because his friend of mine, who had lost his mind kind of, he had some crazy reasons, started calling them names and everything, and they couldn't catch them, but they caught me. And so I'm there, you know, looking when people are going to do home, they get it like a stare in their eyes. And I didn't know it until then, but I saw it, and I realized that I'm going to get really hurt. And looking at a psychology psychologically now I realize what happened is my ego departed. Just thought I don't want to be around for this. And what happened is I started telling a story, laying there on the floor, thinking I'm about to die something in me. No rehearsal, no preparation, no plan, just starts telling a story. And as I do that, their eyes lose that glare and literally their hands go down and the weapons are now, you know, hanging down. And then eventually the leader of the group says, well, all right, you know we're going to let you go, but you tell your friend never talk that way about us again. So now not only have the language of myth, I now have become a storyteller in a life of life or death situation. And the same thing happens. I go right back to my gang the guys and say I found something stronger than weapons. And I tell them and they go, oh, we got to go get those guys, And I'm saying, you're missing the point. They didn't hurt me, and they didn't because I told them a story. There's something stronger than just attacking each other with the weapons. But everybody they ignored me, and I had another piece of the story, but I had to have that confirmed later too. So I'm trying to say that everybody has this. Not everybody has dramatic stories like that, but everybody has their story. And hidden inside a person's story are certain occasions when this inner quality awakened, but it usually doesn't get confirmed because the culture has forgotten about it. So even though it's tricky and not easy, I say to people, go back over your life storily story, especially teenage years and adolescent and look at anything that was surprising. Sometimes what happens is the young person realizes what their gift is and they try to share it with the family that had different intentions for them. They didn't want a musician, or they didn't, you know, they wanted a doctor or whatever it is, and so it gets becomes latent, it gets repressed. But you can go back and find these moments. And so that's what I did. I went back and I found those moments and realized and when you find them, they keep getting bigger. In other words, I go back to that story of being about to be I think, really harmed or killed by really rough guys with weapons. And then it explains to me. Why how many years later was it? I don't even know how many years later. I was about maybe thirty years old when the first book I wrote, The Water of Life. They paid me some money for it. It was like a total surprise. And I had this, you know, because I'd never written before, and I had they paid me a lot of money actually, and so then I had this money, What am I going to do? And I decided to start a nonprofit to work with violent youth. So yeah, so I for decades have worked with gangs and street kids and prisoners and people who wind up getting caught up in violence because I have some understanding of it, but also because I had that awakening and that kind of circumstance.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So I'm trying to suggest that when we find these places where our own gifts become revealed and we have moments of awakening, they can keep expanding that. You know, I understand more about that experience now than I did then. It's gotten bigger inside of me. It actually gives me courage. I can go into a situation that's not clear and there's fear and everything, and I can draw on that because there's something that happened to me. It's not an abstract quality, it's actually a lived experience.
Speaker 1: What about the individuals who are working in the nine to five existence who have no awareness for the calling? Is it subtle hints? Is it events that are shown to them that they need to wake up and consider another vocation?
Speaker 2: What do we how do we work with that?
Speaker 3: Well? One thing I like old saying, and one of them is sometimes the obstacle is in the way, and sometimes the obstacle is the way, in other words, a person's working hard day and night, Like I was doing that as a young father and a husband with four children. And then because people say to me, well, even if you have an idea what it is, how do you find the time? You can't make money at it. You have to And so I was a young father with four kids. I had to make money. And I knew that part of my calling involved language and ideas and stories. And I would get up an hour and a half or two hours before the kids. And anyone who has had kids know that as they get older, go into school, they get up earlier. So I was getting up earlier and earlier because I needed an hour and a half, better two hours, if I could get it before everybody was up. If I could do that three days in a row, I'd be okay. I was nourishing and feeding my psyche. I was feeding my imagination while I was also feeding the family. And so I was told you have to pick one or the other. Either you're going to be you know, you're going to work and be productive, or you're going to be some creative person who you know scrambles for existence your whole life now you can combine the two, and once you get a feeling for it, you know that you have to nourish it. And even that one and a half hours early in the morning was enough nourishment to keep me going. And then eventually you just bump into things. You bump into things like things are all into connected. And so there were occasions I had started telling stories, but you know, I was just some weird guy telling stories, and then I just made a certain connection and something I said at a given point caused some other people to go that was really insightful. Where did that come from? And on you come and teach this stuff that you're working on at this conference. And the next thing, I was working at conferences, and pretty soon I quit the nine to five job and I became an itinerant storyteller.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: That brings up another topic, which is genius. And I think you you talk as though we all have this genius capacity in us, which I find is radical because I think some people may not recognize their own genius and just kind of go through the sledge. But talk about genius for a minute, and it's important.
Speaker 3: So it's this idea that there is a spirit inside us that has gifts and qualities that are already existing in us. Like at thirteen and a half, I can come up something in me. I'm vacating, I'm fleeing the situation. But something in me can come up with a story that compels these guys with the weapons to just forget about the idea of hurting me. That's the genius thing to do. And then you realize it's not like a genius me, I'm a genius. It's a quality in the person. And so then it's a mixture of gifts, talents, and abilities, but also style. So I become a storyteller. And people always say, well, what's the key to storytelling? The key to storytelling is style. A person learns their own style, they're totally convincing. If a person learns all the tricks that you use on stage and all, they may not be convincing at all. The style, the word style is not superficial. It means something inscribed on the soul. And so there's a style inside a person that's part of the genius. For instance, if you love like a piano music, you know just so profound and there's so many great pianists, but the really great ones. You hear a few bars and you know who that is because their genius is coming through. Yes, they they're great piano players, but their unique way of playing that sonata is what you feel. And so it's a unique mixture of things that gives a person gifts that they can give. In giving the gift, the genius gifts in giving them, it doesn't diminish the gifts. It increases them. But I want to say something else about it, because this is an all pure light and all the doors open and everything's cool, right, Because the word talent is it comes from a German word that means the weight used to measure gold, the weight they put on the scales to measure the amount of gold. So genius is also called the golden qualities in a person like the guy who can play the guitar as soon as he picks it up, or or the person who has a naturally good voice, or the person who has an instinctive but also uniquely qualified way of connecting to animals. That's a genius thing. And should they become a vet, yeah, probably, But it's even more genius than that because they're connecting to the spirit of animals and so on. And so forth, and because ancient cultures really revered that kind of connection. But the word talent is a weight, So that means, for instance, if a person has genuine talents and they're not conscious of them or practicing using them, or learning how to express them, then what could have been a golden thing that lit up the room and lit up their own psyche becomes a weight on their soul. For some people, the reason they are depressed is because they're not expressing their own genius. So the world is very rarely neutral. So we're either growing our soul and becoming a better version of ourselves or we are shrinking from life. That's the way it goes.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that's I was just thinking right now that a lot of people are so depressed that they are shrinking and they're unable to get out of the muck. And h is it that the soul works to get this person out and reveal the calling or how do how do they how do they move forward?
Speaker 3: Well, the old ideas are that the soul is here to transform. So I had mentioned spirit. Genius is like the spirit, but genius lives in the soul, So genius and soul are not the same. Thing in cosmology, spirit and soul. Genius is a spirit, you can call it ether. Genius is a spirit. Spirit is connected to fire and air and it wants to rise up. And soul is connected to water and earth and it wants to descend. And so a person's psyche is a mixture of spirit with its assentsional aspirational qualities and soul with its intrigue with going deeper and getting more connected to the earth, to the animals, to nature, to other people. And so the way out is both spirit and soul. Sometimes a person is stuck and they can't you know, they're feeling the weight of the world. The weight of the world is coming down on everyone now. People traditionally have not felt the weight of the world the way we are feeling it for a number of reasons. First of all, nature is rattling at the same time culture is unraveling, and so we're in this thing where where nature is in trouble, just as human nature is in trouble. That's a heavy thing. Typically you could think of nature as balanced and so on, but nature's lost some of its balance, partially because of humans losing their balance. But now because of mass communication, we know what's going on. Young people are growing up into the knowledge that nature is in trouble and that culture is what do you call that, divided and polarized. They're growing up into that atmosphere, and that's why it's so important that calling and genius be kind of become better known. So a young person goes, well, I'm not going to find a career that for my whole lifetime. You can't do that anymore. Things change too fast. They say, the average young person is going to have five or six or seven careers. The people, all the people that were just studying whatever that is how to work with digital stuff, and that was going to be their job, they just all lost their job because AI is going to replace all that. Everybody has to start over again. That's the world we're in.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: But the benefit is when these other avenues remember piece you and I are old enough to remember, someone would study and go to school, or they would get an apprenticeship, they would get a job and do it their whole life. That doesn't happen much anymore. Everything's changing so fast. So then where do we get stability, centering and aim from. It has to be inside and we have to remember the old stories that said that inside everyone is this genius combination that is set up for a calling that awakens the psyche spirit and soul that leads to it a life, a meaning, and a potential destiny mention one other thing. The Greek term for geniuses dimon dai mon dimon, and so it's a very similar idea that everybody has this unique dimon or inner spirit, but when we don't live the dimon, it becomes a demon. The unlived inner spirit changes from spiritual guidance to demonic entrapment. It's it's not, it's not, there's no neutral. To be alive is to either be expanding the inner life of the soul and the spirit, or to be diminishing and becoming less alive, less courageous, feeling less meaningful, and feeling more trapped.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 1: We're going to take a short commercial break to allow our sponsors to identify themselves and will return with Michael Meade discussing you're calling.
Speaker 2: We'll be right back.
Speaker 1: My guest today is mythologist, anthropologist, and storyteller Michael Meade coming to us from Washington, and we're learning about our calling, what if that means, and how do we put it into effect. The Hindus developed a system called the Yugas. I'm sure you're familiar with the basics of it, and right now, apparently we're in Kelly Yuga. The darkest period. Is this calling some of the is it focusing on the next phase and helping us come out of this dark period?
Speaker 3: Well, big heavy stuff to yugas and all, you know, I forget how long a yuga is.
Speaker 2: It's ridiculously thousands of years.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So one way to look at that is it's so big that counting doesn't matter too much, you know. The other way is to see it is that we're in the darkness for quite a while. And this is rough for people that have been brought up to think that democratic elections can change everything. You know, we now know that we can't even trust the elections the institutions. That we're in this period of darkness, which includes collapse of institutions, and so the things that used to protect us now are turned against us. And so I go to these really old ideas like, for instance, one of the old descriptions for the human soul was the light found in darkness. So when we're in the dark ages, we have to find the light inside our own darkness. One of the great things that happened in the Western world is in our lifetime is ideas and practices from the Eastern world came to the West. In the Eastern world they've always thought one ugu lees to the next yoga. It's in a cycle. In the Western world they think it begins with time and then the end of time comes. It's a very limited idea in the West. But when you bring in the Eastern idea, you get this expansive sense of cycles. But the cycle, the big cycle, is not the one that we have to understand necessarily. The cycle inside ourselves becomes the thing. How do we how do we find light inside our own darkness? When the outside world doesn't provide, you know, pathways that make sense, or or the guidance that we need, or the sense of a center that makes meaning out of everything, then we have to fall back on ourselves. And the Eastern world was all about that. In the Eastern world, they said, what we go out in the world looking for already exists inside us. And that's the same thing was found in the West, and the idea of the energenious. What we're looking for is inside, but we have to go outside into the world in order to encounter the kind of difficulties that break the the kind of spell of the ego down so that we can really fall deeper into ourselves and realize that what we're looking for is inside. And so I think in the call of Yuga, the idea was, as I recall from the Vedas, that in the Cali Yuga even the spiritual practices don't work as well, and so they say in the Cali Yuga, you have to go deep inside. So there's a story from the Vedas where there's this king who in this case happens to be a philosopher as well as a ruler. We don't necessarily have that in the modern leadership, but anyway, and so Uh, the king was so interested in philosophical ideas and genuine learning and oh my god, truth that he would have this this spiritual uh kind of guru come and talk to him on a regular basis. A part of the week of the of the ruler would be visiting visits from the guru, and he would ask them the kind of questions that you know you've encounter and find within yourselves when you're struggling to learn and grow. And so one day the ruler says to the guru, so if the sun were to go out, where would the people find the light that gave them the courage to go out and do their work in the world. And the Gurut said, well, they would get it from the moon. And so then the ruler said, but what if the moon failed to appear? And then the guru said, well, they would get it from the stars. And then the ruler, who's not giving up on his proposition, says, and what if the stars failed to come out? And then the Guru said, then they would turn inside and they would find the light in their own deep self and they would go out into the world with the courage of that light. Wow, that's a five thousand year old recipe for what we have to do now. The lights are failing the things that we saw as guiding lights. Right now in America, the idea of democracy is wildly under attack. And democracy depends upon the individual human soul, and so that's where we have to find it. And then we have to go against things that we were taught in the sense of realizing what we're looking for is inside and there is a Western version of that.
Speaker 2: The Greeks called it the.
Speaker 3: Diamond, the Romans called it the genius. We have that in our own western kind of tradition, and now's the time that we needed, you know. So I went from being awakened as a storyteller by the threat of a gang to working with armed gangs in Chicago and la and various places. And after I was working in South Sude of Chicago, working with street gangs, and they love stories, and so I would come back every couple of months and tell them stories. And then I would come back after a couple of months and they'd say, you know so and so, yeah, he died, you know so and so she'd kill herself, you know that one you know is in jail. And I was just breaking my heart. These are fifteen, sixteen year old kids, and I started to have that despair of what does it matter what I say, you know? And and I told them that, I said, I feel like overwhelmed by by the tragic loss of these of your young lives. And they said, no, no, no, we wait for you to come back and tell us stories. You can't you can't stop. And so I realized that there was really, uh that that's what a calling is. You don't stop because it got hard, you don't stop because your heart was broken again. And so then I thought, how can I talk to them? Like I realized, I'm talking to these young person I come back a month or two later, they could be gone. What do I say to them in a very brief way that could be genuine, meaningful and impactful. And I started to say, did you know you're a genius? And they would go what. The word genius is well known in Western culture, and so saying it means something says he what do you mean I'm a genius? And I would say, well, I've known you for a little while and I see the way you behave you got this kind of genius? That's how it looks to me. And they say, well, what does it matter? And I said, well that genius could take you out of this situation you're in. It's bigger than the situation in a way, it's bigger than you, bigger than you think you are. And the next thing, they're all wanting to know about genius. And so that's what got me realizing that same message has to go to people who are more fortunate and less oppressed. Because we need our genius capacities in order to change the world, but also in order.
Speaker 2: To yield it.
Speaker 1: It sounds like though, when the soul is recognized and you are working to follow the calling, things kind of not only fall into place, but there are high and low periods that you encounter. How do we work around that? How do we stay in and how do we lock in? And I guess is the word the two things? One would be more of a philosophical psychological thing, and the other thing has to do with practice, And so the first thing is the old two things, maybe two ways to say it. The old meaning of ambition was not to be driven to be better than others. The word ambit means to walk the circumference of the realm, So real ambition is to walk the entire circle of the psyche, and that turns out to mean the highs and the lows. In alchemy they call it circulazio. And what they mean is throughout life a person is going to go through almost predictable steps of getting higher in the sense of learning, in the sense of joyful experience, the sense of awakening. But then there's going to be an alternative dissent that's required also where a person goes into the darkness and into the qualities of injury and woundedness and into the sense of despair in order to find their way eventually back up to the higher So they would put the idea of the highs and lows into either the ambit of the psyche, learning the whole realm of the person, or in the ups and downs that are part of expanding the soul. So despair, for instance, which means to lose all hope despare. It's a French hope is spr despere to be without spr hope.
Speaker 3: But the idea was when we lose all hope, it's not the end. Underneath the initial superficial experiences of hope, there's a deeper kind of hope. I call it the second level of hope, which is connected not to wishfulness, but it's connected to deep imagination. There's an old saying that a person doesn't know how to see the world until they've been in despair in the darkness, Like the King and the.
Speaker 1: Guru.
Speaker 3: The light we're looking for is down in the dark, and eventually we get more used to going down there and it becomes a quicker movement down and then coming back up. That's one thing. The other thing is, once we have a way to go, a path, a path with heart, a genius, path, a calling, there's so many names for it, we need to practice to sustain it. So I'm mentioning that with the youth in Chicago, the gang kids, and they're saying, you can't give up. We depend on you to come back and tell us the stories they were telling me. I had a practice and I had to keep practicing it. I can't give up my practice because I'm now feeling injured or or scared or sad goes go into the practice. And so in order to first problem is you don't have genie. The second problem you haven't found you Jesus genius. The second problem as you found it, and now you have to figure out how to live with it. How do you integrate it, how do you find a way to give it that's meaningful, and how do you sustain it? And so I always wind up these days besides saying this paths everyone has called to a path. That's an important old piece of knowledge. But a companion piece is to stay on the path. We all need a practice or practice is and then so then we go back to ancient India, where they would say, well, there's two main roads of practice, and one is the path of contemplation meditation, looking inward and looking for a stillness and center inside. That's a great path, a really meaningful path. The opposite path is the path of expressive arts, the creative path of expression, the exact opposite, where a person is taking what's inside and pouring it out into the world. Often a person needs both paths, or you need to go back and forth, or you need to find your own combination. In other words, it isn't a binary choice. Most of us, like as a storyteller or whatever mythologists, I find myself just find ways to be quiet and sit with the images in a story, because when I do that, they start to inform me. They start to literally give me ideas and understandings of what that aspect of life is about. And so most meaningful pathways will include some kind of practice of contemplation and some kind of practice of expression. And in ancient India they would have on altars or shrines, they would have both elements there. So first we have to find the genius, get some sense of the calling, take have to find the courage and take the risks to step into the world not as what everyone else thought we were, but as what our soul knows we are. And then in order to sustain that, find practices that support it and give us places of refuge but also sources of renewal HM.
Speaker 1: As we conclude, Michael, what does a society look like with a large population of people who are following their calling? I'm just curious, is there is it?
Speaker 2: Do you have a thought for that?
Speaker 1: Or can you can you can you recommend a period of time where it looks like there was a majority of people that were following the calling.
Speaker 3: I think it's always been a mixed bag. It's always been some of the people just think, hey, this is about nine to five or or this is you know, just this that and the next thing, and you're lucky if you can retire and all that kind of stuff. And there's there been the other people going, are you kidding? You know? I wouldn't even be here except I just love music. Someone or every time I hear the sound of an animal being wounded, I'm going to go there and help them, you know, And those people It's not always been that everybody got it, and apparently it's not always been that everybody had to get it for it to be meaningful. In other words, the culture changes when a proportion of people awaken to things that are meaningful and begin to live it out. What that proportion is I don't know, but it's definitely less than fifty percent. It might be way less because the people that are living day to day using conventional ideas are really writing on the ideas and experiences of other people. When the ideas and experiences of other people rise to a greater height and descend to deeper levels of understanding, the everyday people are pulled into a greater like by those that are already living it. Think of the Renaissance, right, So I think that's how it works, and so I think that the way I'm imagining it now, we are in such desperate straits because of this thing of climate crisis and cultural crisis happening at the same time. It means that every calling is meaningful, and it means that if enough people did awaken in ways that just have to do with their own naturally endowed gifts and naturally ways of entering the world and being meaningful, then that shifts it for everybody.
Speaker 1: And so.
Speaker 3: The old idea that might have started with that is the human soul wants to transform, It wants to expand and grow throughout life. Throughout the life. We're not supposed to be similar at the end of the way we were at the beginning. We're supposed to be this awakened version, version of ourselves that brings out things that already exist inside that turn out to be meaningful, not just for us, but also for other people. And so when that happens, then what if someone like you know, I'm a storyteller, mythologist kind of guy. You know, I'm not running for office. I'm not going to run for office. I can't operate within the limitations of a political structure. I have that freedom of imagination. But yet there's someone else right down the road who is called to act out not just being an official, but being a statesman or a stateswoman. So what happens when the callings start to happen is people are going in ways that are meaningful. Younger people or other people are watching someone do something meaningful, and if they're really compelled by it, it usually means their calling is similar. And so the next thing, you get natural education, which is mentoring where a person gravitates towards someone who's further down the road that their soul wants to go on. And the next thing you have people being pulled along by other people. And we're in a state now where every gift is meaningful because the wound are in all parts of nature and culture.
Speaker 1: Wow, amazing, Michael, wonderful. Great to have you on the program. How can people learn more about your work? Give us your website and you I can't. I think your YouTube channel.
Speaker 2: Has a name. I can't remember. It's not Michael Mead, it's something else.
Speaker 3: I don't know either. But so we have a podcast called Living Myth where every week there's a free podcast and I usually use it to look at modern circumstances through the lens of myth. So there's that, and it's free every week, and you can just find that google Living Myth. The website is Mosaic Voices all lowercase, all one word dot org there, yeah, and then you can find free essays and recordings and books and all kinds of things that are on the website. And then the YouTube I think is also is it Mosaic Mosaic voices dot org. It's also the YouTube name, and we're increasingly putting on stuff on YouTube, primarily primarily because it is now the greatest platform for education of young people.
Speaker 1: Right before we started I mentioned your teaching or lecturing or storytelling. Are you doing that primarily through your YouTube channel or are you doing that live? Can people see you at locations we do?
Speaker 3: It's on all on the website. We do live online events and many of them are free. You can just cut you know, they play all over the world. People come on for free, and then some of them are you know, more detailed, and so you can pay a little bit to get to those. But the podcast is free every week and then, and there's many online free events as well. We're trying to get Living Myth out into the world as a kind of medicine.
Speaker 1: Excellent, fantastic, real pleasure having you on the program, and I really appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Thank you, and great to be with you, Cliff and be well.
Speaker 1: I want to mention that Michael has made most of his talks free. You can see him on YouTube at Mosaic Voices or just type in Michael Mead as Meade and you can hear more on the Calling, but he has a number of other very early talks that he gave as a storyteller, and in some of them he's joined with Robert Blye. This was when he was part of the Men's Movement, which he's not really.
Speaker 2: Focused on anymore.
Speaker 1: I don't know what happened to the Men's movement after.
Speaker 2: Robert bly passed away.
Speaker 1: There were others in the movement as well. And years ago when I was a program director here in San Francisco for the Whole Life Expo, there were a few people that were representing men, Men's movement, men's feelings and the emerging identity of men hoping that they are working with him. So they don't keep everything closed up so you can't express yourself. You just invite all kinds of emotional problems and physical problems. They've shown that if you are uptight and anxious and you can't talk about it, it's not good.
Speaker 2: It's not good for you.
Speaker 1: So and this was part of the movement for men to begin freely expressing themselves. So anyhow, Michael Mead is a treasure and if you ever get to see a chance to see him live, he is fantastic. And I was really happy to him on the program so and I hope you enjoyed him as well. Hey, I want to mention Chris Duns coming up in a week and he is going to present more information on the book he's writing, but also our discussion will be on these unusual sculptures of Egypt and these are the megalists I talk about all the time. And if you didn't get his first book, Advanced Machining in Egypt, this topic is covered in this book and we're going to review it as the book must be twenty years old, but he made some outstanding observations as an engineer, and this is how we advanced our under advance our understanding of ancient cultures is the level of sophistication in the artwork and the reliefs in the sculpture, in the buildings, temples and pyramids that we see from these ancient cultures. And what he discovered in these megalists is just outstanding. We're going to bring up and discuss it next week. So don't forget Chris done in our program next week on Earth Ancients. Hey, I also want to mention that we have a tour coming up in Egypt. It's our Grand Egyptian Tour number seven. It's gonna be April twenty eight through May tenth. This is not to be missed because we're gonna go off the beaten path and visit some very very old kingdom cities that aren't described very much, are not discussed, but the artifacts that are left are just amazing. They're huge blocks of stone. There are temples, there are sculptures, and the majority of this tour is visiting sites that are a megalithic in origin, megalithic and relief and in sculpture, and it's what I've been wanting to do for a while and I think you'll have a great time. For more information and all the details go to Earth Ancients dot com, forward Slash Tours, look for the band on the Grand Egyptian Tour with Mohammad Ebrahem, and I think we're also going to have a couple of experts, including Armando May who is part of the Stars team, swing by and do a talk on what he's been up to. He'll be in Cairo at that time, and so we definitely want to have him come by and speak to our group on just what some of the latest discoveries are. Again, for all the information and all the details, go to Earthacients dot com forward slash tours. One thing to remember, one thing that's critical to remember. Most of these tours are ten to twelve thousand dollars ten grand. Our tours are less than half roughly five grand, not including your flights to Egypt, which you can get very inexpensive for a very cheap rate. But we cover the interior flights abodots to Cairo, Cairo to wherever the buses the special visits. Mohammed Imberhem is our host. He is an expert, and we will see things that you don't do not see on a regular tour, and are again fifty percent less than what most people pay. This is why our tours fill up really quickly. So get on board Earth Ancients dot com forward slash tours. This is a tour to see the true ancient pass What we are seeing is not dynastic Egyptian. This is the Prediluvians. These are the people, likely from the place called Atlantis, likely from advanced cultures that were destroyed during the cataclysm. And what we see is mind blowing monstrosities of sculpture or relief and so forth. So come out and join me earthasients dot com, Forward slash Tours. All right, that's it for this program. I want to thank my guest today, Michael Meade. Come you tell us from Washington State. As always a team of Geltour, Mark Foster and Faya out in Pakistan.
Speaker 2: You guys really roged. I really appreciate your help.
Speaker 1: All right, take care of you well and we will talk to you next times. Sus some stamps