Speaker 1: This podcast is brought to you by, we have a special sponsor, surprise sponsor. I'm here with, this is Tim Cuff, co-host.
Speaker 2: Ryan?
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: Ryan McDonald, co-host. We have a very special guest that I want to share our sponsor with. It is my family, Kevin DiPietri.
Speaker 2: Wow, first and last name, that's nice.
Speaker 1: Or as CeCe calls you, Tevin.
Speaker 2: Tevin.
Speaker 1: Not Uncle Tevin, just Tevin.
Speaker 2: Tevin. It's a lot better than a year ago.
Speaker 1: So, Kevin, we've talked about on the podcast before how you spend time in Brazil.
Speaker 2: I did.
Speaker 1: And we, you know, we're on the pod, we're big fans of the delicacy known as buzz balls.
Speaker 3: We've made them actually what they are today.
Speaker 1: So we went to, what's the liquor store by your house?
Speaker 2: One Stop.
Speaker 1: One Stop's great. Their pricing is insane. One Stop should be the sponsor. So you couldn't believe the Casamigos handle price.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable.
Speaker 1: There was a handle of Raposado for $ 51. So they had Brazilian buzz balls.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 1: Here you go. Give one to Ryan.
Speaker 2: That's so generous.
Speaker 1: And our sponsor is One Stop and buzz balls. What's a capey?
Speaker 2: Where do you see that?
Speaker 1: C-A-I-P-I.
Speaker 2: Oh, I would have thought that was Capri. I don't know, maybe like a Caipirosca? Something like that?
Speaker 1: Well, I know, isn't it Capirinha?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Capirinha, Caipirosca.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because you speak Portuguese.
Speaker 2: A little bit. A little bit. That's not good.
Speaker 1: And it is 15% alcohol, so it's like wine.
Speaker 2: Oh, it's only 15%? It's like wine.
Speaker 1: It's like a fine wine. Smells like limes. Cheers.
Speaker 2: Saúde.
Speaker 1: To Kevin. What's cheers in Portuguese?
Speaker 2: Saúde.
Speaker 3: Saúde?
Speaker 2: Saúde, saúde, yeah. Sláinte. It's the same everywhere. Are you supposed to drink this whole thing?
Speaker 1: You are supposed to drink the whole thing.
Speaker 2: At once?
Speaker 1: It's a little. Ryan's having some trouble.
Speaker 2: It's okay. It's not bad.
Speaker 3: It's pretty citrusy.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But I love them.
Speaker 3: I got the Buzz Balls tattoo as the company asked me to do so all.
Speaker 1: Right well i'm playing the theme song right now oh shit oh no i'm not playing the theme song i pressed the wrong button this is off to a great start.
Speaker 2: M & M.
Speaker 1: Three years?
Speaker 2: Three years, yep.
Speaker 1: They had a Buzz Boulder, which is a bigger.
Speaker 2: I saw that. What's bigger than the ball?
Speaker 1: Isn't there a.
Speaker 2: There's the ball, there's the.
Speaker 1: No, this is the ball.
Speaker 2: I'm starting, I'm doing the full hierarchy.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: There's the ball, there's the.
Speaker 2: Gone.
Speaker 3: Biggie, Biggie.
Speaker 2: Biggie, but gone, but not forgotten, Buzz Bomb.
Speaker 3: Wish they kept that.
Speaker 2: What's the Buzz Bomb? Medium size, between....
Speaker 1: Oh between balls like a softball size baseball size no this is baseball size softball size then there's Biggie and then there's Boulder and there was.
Speaker 3: A Boulder Boulder is I want to kill everyone I know Boulder.
Speaker 2: Is like the size of a bowling ball is that a single serving like a single person no no okay because these are these are meant to be drank by yourself yes like as you go up it just becomes like a there's so much larger vessel it's no longer a buzz ball it's just so the Boulder.
Speaker 1: That I found was melon.
Speaker 3: And I thought, oh, my God. I just picture, like, at the marketing team, like, can we pick the grossest flavor for the boulder?
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 1: Of course we can. So I was going to buy that, like, as a joke, and I thought, why? You're just going to dump it out. You're going to throw it away.
Speaker 2: Or drink it. You would end up making us all drink it. We're going to get the barbecue sauce boulder. Sure. Oh, man.
Speaker 1: Well, welcome back to Cuff's Basement.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: And we are talking about a film. So we are out in Littleton on location. So we haven't released a pod in a while, and it's because we were busy taking a victory lap after the Batman series, the Christopher Nolan trilogy.
Speaker 3: We have resurrected that franchise. People are talking about it again.
Speaker 1: It's crazy. Nobody even remembered it coming out, basically.
Speaker 3: People just didn't know it existed. They were like, holy shit.
Speaker 1: I was very happy with the podcast series. It got a little choppy at the end.
Speaker 3: I didn't love the recording session for The Dark Knight, but the rest were great. I loved The Dark Knight Rises.
Speaker 1: Why didn't you like the recording session?
Speaker 3: It was just, the circumstances were tough. I, yeah.
Speaker 1: Oh, because of the dogs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was tough.
Speaker 2: That did not come through. It was tough.
Speaker 1: No.
Speaker 2: You did great. But.
Speaker 3: You're too hard on yourself. I made up for it with The Dark Knight Rises.
Speaker 2: I was like, we're going to.
Speaker 1: You sure did. You sure did.
Speaker 2: I didn't notice a difference between any of the episodes, just so you guys know.
Speaker 3: Good.
Speaker 2: No difference whatsoever.
Speaker 1: I think the third one was noticeably different.
Speaker 2: And the end happened how all ends of 12-chapter podcasts happen. Just repeating yourself. Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, Kevin and Megan each asked me a question... Because I guess I'm so removed from normal people when it comes to Batman. They both asked me a question that I thought, how do they not know the answer to this? One of them was Megan said, so why did Christian Bale decide to not be Batman anymore? And I was like, it was done. That was it. That was his story. It was done. There was no... There wasn't a possibility of him coming back.
Speaker 2: But if you're not an avid Batman fan, you wouldn't think there's a first, second, third, and then it's over, you never see the guy again.
Speaker 1: But those movies ended, and then there was years until another Batman movie, and then it was a different director, different actor.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Maybe I'm embarrassed to say this. I'm really not, actually. I always thought of the one with Heath Ledger as the first, because it was so awesome.
Speaker 1: A lot of people do think that.
Speaker 2: I have no idea what happened with Liam Neeson.
Speaker 3: Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It was so bizarre when we did the rewatch. I was like, wow, Batman Begins. That one was the most, like, whoa, impressive rewatch in the three. I'm not saying it's the best one, but I was like.
Speaker 1: It was better than I remembered.
Speaker 3: It was just, wow.
Speaker 2: I thought Bane was so much... Bane was... Bane... The Bane... Um... what, what do you call it? A series. What is that called? Uh, that genre, the Bane, the, the Bane, uh, uh, uh, the Bane movie.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He was probably equal villain wise to Heath Ledger. And those two movies were closer and like how good they were. And that first movie was kind of average.
Speaker 3: I think those two are the most style comparatively. Cause Batman begins truly feels different than when you watch the other two. Like it's way more like quote unquote, like fantastical. The other two are much more like city real. Um, But Bane's incredible. I think he's always going to be underrated, in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Bane is incredible. I think that the first movie had to be about Batman, and the other two were kind of stolen by amazing villains. But the question that Kevin asked me that I just didn't understand, because he said, how many more of these movies are you doing? And I said, none of them. We were very clear, consistently throughout the podcast, we're doing the three Christopher Nolan movies.
Speaker 3: If you want to do the four 90s ones... Did I ask that?
Speaker 1: You asked me in person, yeah.
Speaker 2: Would love to do those.
Speaker 1: But then I said, no, Dark Knight Rises is it. And then he said, thank God.
Speaker 2: Fair? No, no, it was a good series. I liked it. I listened to everything. I got choppy because I even listened in the wrong order. Yeah, Kevin said I was.
Speaker 1: Confused because I was listening in the wrong order. I go, why would you do that?
Speaker 3: I'll do Dark Knight Rises Part 4, and then Batman Begins 2, then Dark Knight Part 1.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like if you look, sometimes you look if you're three behind, and you go, oh, maybe I'll just skip those and go to this next one that I'm interested in. And then you go, oh, if those are all tied together, I've got to go back, but I'll go back later.
Speaker 3: You're halfway through the Dark Knight, and you're like, when is Liam Neeson here?
Speaker 2: Totally.
Speaker 1: So we come out here once a year, and we do a pod with my sister and my brother-in-law, Kevin, Tevin. And we said, like, Kevin, you can pick any movie you want. We don't care. Like, just tell us in advance. And you chose a great film. You chose There Will Be Blood, which came out in what year? 07. 07. Directed by Paul Thomas Anderson, starring Richard Grieco. Or, sorry, Daniel Day-Lewis. And why did you choose There Will Be Blood?
Speaker 2: Oh, man. Well, this was one of the movies that I don't think I had heard anything about at all. ended up coming on at some point. You heard nothing about it before.
Speaker 1: Nothing. When did it come out?
Speaker 2: It came out in 2007, maybe in like 2010 at some point. So when it came out, you didn't know. I did not see this, no.
Speaker 1: And you were not aware of it?
Speaker 2: Not aware. Not aware. And I'm like, I saw it probably on Amazon Prime or something like that. Great title. Daniel Day-Lewis. I'm like, wait a second. I'm like, I've never heard of this before. I don't know what it's about. Perfect.
Speaker 1: The title is a spoiler for the end of the movie.
Speaker 2: Very true. Um... And then, yeah, I mean, it was, Daniel Day-Lewis is just, he's the man. He's just incredible.
Speaker 1: So, we've talked about on the pod how, like, maybe we consider, and many people consider him, the Tom Brady, the GOAT. He's the GOAT of actors, at least, like, in modern times. Since, you know, 1960, he would be the GOAT of actors. Do you, can you think of an actor? Because, like, De Niro comes to mind, but I think DDL is better than De Niro. I think it's also it's like.
Speaker 3: A progenitor thing too of like I think DDL like always was like riffing off De Niro of like how.
Speaker 2: To do it.
Speaker 3: Cause De Niro Sure. De Niro was famous for homework and that's what DDL became the extreme of. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I probably only know like five DDL movies.
Speaker 1: Which are what?
Speaker 2: It doesn't do a lot. Um the Gangs in New York. Gangs in New York. The one in Ireland of the guys that got arrested.
Speaker 1: Oh, in the name of the father.
Speaker 2: Yep. Last of the Mohegans. Hoping to see Jer today. Hear from Jer.
Speaker 1: I forgot about Jer. I can't.
Speaker 3: That alternate cut is pretty tough.
Speaker 1: It's Giuseppe. I can't Jer, you're my son.
Speaker 3: Da.
Speaker 1: I want to kiss you, da.
Speaker 2: Yeah, those both of them moved in here for a couple weeks. They were. Duh.
Speaker 1: I want to shower with you, duh. I can't cure you, my son. Alright, let's move on. So, I don't know. I think this performance specifically, because Bill the Butcher is a supporting role. Bill the Butcher might be.
Speaker 3: You got to wait for a best actor for Bill the Butcher.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Hot take that that movie sucked.
Speaker 1: I don't agree with that at all, but a lot of people didn't like him when it came out. But you can't think his performance sucked.
Speaker 2: No, he's great. Obviously. Leo's great. I mean, there are good things about it, but that it's a hard watch it's.
Speaker 3: The example of in real time when you watch a movie where they're starting with DiCaprio and like who's ever editing doing whatever realizes like oh this is the more interesting thing is Daniel Lewis and the movie just completely gravitates to him it's like you just watch it in real.
Speaker 1: Time kind of like Family Matters with Urkel.
Speaker 3: Exactly or like The Simpsons with Bart DeHomer like oh this is what people want to see go for.
Speaker 1: It sure I like the Urkel example better, but.
Speaker 2: Sure.
Speaker 3: You mean Stievel in Carlsbad?
Speaker 1: Stievel in Carlsbad.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The puppets. Yeah.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I can't think... He probably is my goat. Probably.
Speaker 2: I think it's like.
Speaker 3: Because, again, the homework has become so famous for him, it's almost like people take it for granted, undeniable. His performances are amazing. He does disappear. This is very selfish. I just wish he did more stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I remember hearing an interview where someone's like, I think Nicolas Cage is the greatest actor of all time. And the person was like, why? And they're like, look at what he's done.
Speaker 2: He's unafraid.
Speaker 3: And he's unafraid. Even if he fucking fails, he does it.
Speaker 1: Madden looks interesting. Did you see the trailer for that?
Speaker 2: I didn't, but I heard. Is that going straight to.
Speaker 4: yes it's Christian Bale is that a good thing now or a bad thing no a bad thing oh okay I thought so Christian Bale is Al Davis right no I know Nicholas Cage is John Madden but like it's just like I will watch that though oh of course I feel.
Speaker 3: Like it's just different acting styles if you're a method actor obviously he's the best but I feel like if you're a person who just tries anything because some actors are like my job is just to be me like I'm going to be George Clooney in this movie you're just going to see me before you see.
Speaker 1: The character George Clooney's not going to transform.
Speaker 3: Exactly.
Speaker 2: I don't know. De Niro went and started doing comedy. So did Pacino later in their career. He's not going to do a comedy with Ben Stiller.
Speaker 1: I truly have no idea what DDL is up to in between movies. But I picture him living on a remote island off the coast of Ireland. And he's building furniture with his hands.
Speaker 2: He's literally a goat herder. He's like, I'm going to be goat herding from here on out.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of goat's milk in this movie.
Speaker 2: It was real.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And this movie is directed by, speaking of goats, one of the greatest living directors, I think. Not the greatest, but one of the greatest. Paul Thomas Anderson, PTA. This came out in 2007. So at that point, he had done Heart 8, Boogie Nights. Heart 8 was kind of unknown.
Speaker 2: Good movie.
Speaker 1: Boogie Nights, huge movie. Magnolia with Tom Cruise, Punch Drunk Love with Adam Sandler, and then that was it. And he also had not made a movie for five years.
Speaker 3: This was a very big dunk for him.
Speaker 2: How do you get Daniel Day-Lewis for this movie?
Speaker 3: I wonder. I think he's so known for being a good writer. I wonder if you read the script and you're kind of like, yep, I'll do this.
Speaker 1: Also, think about this. So, Hard Eight, okay, it was an independent movie. Boogie Nights, Masterpiece, Home Run, made him famous. Everybody loved it.
Speaker 3: Magnolia....
Speaker 1: People didn't love it.
Speaker 3: At the time it was seen as overwrought. I think people love it a lot more now.
Speaker 1: But at the time it was not a huge success. Especially it was like Tom Cruise was taking a risk and they thought it didn't pay off. Then Punch Drunk Love is a movie starring Adam Sandler. I'm not shitting on Punch Drunk Love. But it's like people are like what is this? And then he doesn't make a movie for five years.
Speaker 3: But you think like also like one of his contemporaries David Fincher 2002 makes Panic Room. Does nothing for five years. Since he does nothing. Doesn't do a movie for five years and then does Zodiac. And you're like, well, why you did this and then this came next? Like, what is this jump?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: I think it's the opportunity. I don't know. It's interesting.
Speaker 3: I mean, because if you read about how PTA wrote this movie, he read the book Oil. It's a book from like 1890 something.
Speaker 1: But Upton Sinclair, uh.
Speaker 3: Or even 1900 or something?
Speaker 1: Royal Baptist Sinclair, I don't remember what year, but it was.
Speaker 3: 1927 or something like that?
Speaker 1: It was like 100 years ago.
Speaker 3: Okay. So you read the book, and he said for fun, he was doing like a trip somewhere, and he wrote it. He's like, I'm going to adapt this book on this, like, traveling on this trip. I'm just going to like write a few chapters into screenplay. And it's like, oh, there's a movie here.
Speaker 2: There's something here, yeah.
Speaker 3: And then did it. But you're like, this just seemed like so like naturally, like, kind of grown that way.
Speaker 2: And.
Speaker 3: I wonder if this script was just that good and Daniel Lewis was like, I can't say no to this.
Speaker 1: So after this, just to talk about it real quick, it's not relevant to this movie, but he did The Master in 2012. Have you seen The Master?
Speaker 2: I have not seen any of the movies you've said except for this and Boogie Nights.
Speaker 1: Dude, you have to see The Master. The Master might be my favorite PTA movie.
Speaker 3: I think it's the best Joaquin performance of all time.
Speaker 1: And it's Philip Seymour Hoffman.
Speaker 3: Actually, DDL won the Oscar this year for Lincoln, and I think Joaquin should have won.
Speaker 1: Then Inherent Vice, which is Joaquin again. I want to love this movie, but I don't.
Speaker 3: It's the most forgotten of his movies, hands down.
Speaker 2: That's a lot of Joaquin.
Speaker 1: Then 2017, Phantom Thread. Just weird, even for him. Love it. Then 2021, Licorice Pizza, starring Paul Thomas, starring Philip Seymour Hoffman's son, Cooper.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: And then 2025, One Battle After Another, where this often happens with really good directors. He had never won the Oscar for Best Director. He finally won in 2025. Not his best movie at all.
Speaker 3: At all. Love the movie, but agreed.
Speaker 1: There Will Be Blood is a better movie.
Speaker 2: What movie in 2025?
Speaker 1: One Battle After Another. It's with Leo.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: It won Best Picture.
Speaker 3: I honestly still think Boogie Nights is his best movie.
Speaker 1: Boogie Nights is probably his best movie.
Speaker 2: This is a million times better.
Speaker 1: I think there will be blood.
Speaker 3: I think it's a total preference game.
Speaker 2: I really do. I'm not kidding you.
Speaker 3: He's so good, I think it's a preference game.
Speaker 1: I agree with you. And one thing that I remember about this movie is like, oh, so I love Boogie Nights. Boogie Nights is legit hilarious.
Speaker 3: It's so funny.
Speaker 1: And I thought, oh, there will be blood that's completely devoid of humor and I don't like that because I like how he's funny in his movies. But then when I re-watched this, I was like, oh no, this movie's funny.
Speaker 3: There are YouTube videos that people screen in this movie theaters and people just like laughing just because when they cut back to Daniel's face, people just laugh because you're like this, wow, you expected a human to respond to this comment? And it's unreal.
Speaker 1: So, big PTA fan. Um, we mentioned this is based on Oil by Upton Sinclair. This year, this movie got, like, completely swept out of the Oscars. This is the No Country for Old Men year.
Speaker 3: It's a weird thing where, like, it's a weird, like, collider year where, like, you have so many great things come out. Like, not just, like, awards great, but really great. And it's, like, what gets picked. Because, like, this is the same year as, like, Eastern Promises, Zodiac.
Speaker 1: You love Eastern Promises.
Speaker 2: I love Eastern Promises.
Speaker 1: It's a great movie.
Speaker 2: I've recommended that to... people that i barely know um.
Speaker 3: Also uh for the pixar crowd ratatouille like a lot of great stuff this year and it was like it's weird like it sucks this movie lost this stuff but also i'm like hey it's the colin brothers these guys have never done anything that is like um not what they do even if you don't like it it's always been their thing and like they do no country which is like adapted no no country's great i really like great.
Speaker 2: Kevin's not a huge fan i need to re-watch that i i missed something there i watched it last i'd seen it.
Speaker 3: In theaters and i watched it um last year and i was like this is like a little bit like coen brothers applied that was my mentality like this is like them like doing like someone else's work then i could watch something i'm kind of like nope this is just them batting 4 000 like they're just this good.
Speaker 1: At this that's also a funny movie it's also.
Speaker 3: Very funny also they're very good at which i think is insane like no one ever gives them credit for they're so good at like that kind of thing it's their.
Speaker 2: But their best movie is fargo everything is compared against the ariester um movie i just in the pod we did yeah Eddington the violence in that everything that was compared against that it's like don't come at me with anything less than a. 50 cal rotating machine gun I brought.
Speaker 1: This up in the pod we did with Meg why nobody does this and I don't get it like Ari Aster using male nudity for horror purposes is so effective and I said to Megan which is scarier a guy breaks into your house or a guy breaks into your house naked right oh god It's Apples and Oranges. So.
Speaker 2: Easter Promises, again. Terrifying.
Speaker 1: Naked fights.
Speaker 2: Great fight scene, though. Naked knife scene. You're getting attacked two on one. You're naked. They're not. And you win. And you win. And yeah, you win and walk out of there.
Speaker 1: Well, that's the one problem I had. I thought Viggo Mortensen's character was really soft in that movie. Yeah. But the only Oscar this movie won, because No Country took director, picture... This won Best Actor, Daniel Day-Lewis. And it really, obviously because it was so good, but like No Country for Old Men doesn't really have a main character.
Speaker 2: It does not.
Speaker 1: So you couldn't really, I mean, Javier Bardem could have been nominated for Best Actor, but they probably did it intentionally. Because sometimes they nominate somebody who's borderline for supporting because they think it's more of a slam dunk.
Speaker 3: It's a guaranteed winner.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean, to compare Javier Bardem, did he get nominated or who got nominated?
Speaker 1: He won Best Supporting.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Javier Bardem won Best Supporting for No Country for Old Men.
Speaker 2: Was he nominated for... Actor? Yeah.
Speaker 3: No.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 1: Only supporting. I'm saying I think they did that intentionally because it's a more obvious win.
Speaker 2: I would say if there was even competition there, it's like the category's a joke. Yeah, it's just like a slam dunk thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I saw this in the theater at the time. I was in college. Love this movie. Always love this movie. I think that when I... I was almost intimidated because I was like, Oh, we really have to talk about this movie. And I don't think I fully understand it. I think a lot of it is above my head. And then when I re-watched it this time, I feel like I understood a lot more. Probably just because I'm older and I understand more about life.
Speaker 3: Also, I think the hype is taken away.
Speaker 2: There's not a lot of.
Speaker 1: Intimidation factor.
Speaker 3: You're just watching it. There's nothing surrounding it anymore.
Speaker 2: That's the thing. When I watched it for the first time, I had no hype.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: So just to go into something like... You've recommended movies before. I'm like, don't say another word. I'm like, I'm going to watch it from that. Don't tell me anything else. I want to go in expecting absolutely nothing. And that's when you, if you go into this expecting absolutely nothing and like not to get into the beginning of this, but it's like, yeah, you're yikes. You, you, you, you put me in a place that I wasn't before.
Speaker 3: But I think that's like literally the best way to go. Cause I feel like now, like as like a quote unquote, like avid movie goer, like, I now, like, really avoid a lot of, like, even.
Speaker 2: Like, trailers now.
Speaker 3: I'm just kind of.
Speaker 2: I don't watch trailers.
Speaker 3: I just really... Trailers give away everything. They just give away so much now, but also, like, that surprise, like, so, like, I only ever saw the first, like, teaser for Obsession. And then, like, the reviews came out or whatever, like, then it was like, holy shit, see.
Speaker 2: This, this is crazy. Don't ruin it for me. No spoilers. No spoilers, agreed. So it's like.
Speaker 1: But at the end?
Speaker 3: But at the end, when it turns out she is Daniel Day-Lewis, but it was like, I'm so glad I didn't read anything about this or there was no trailer that gave the beat by beat of the movie. Because unfortunately now you have to do it to get people to come see it. The experience of just being like, we're just going to pull the pin on this grenade. This guy does this wish and let's see what happens. And it comes true. All you can do is just be witness to what's happening.
Speaker 2: It's so great. And I feel like.
Speaker 3: That's just not... allowed it anymore sadly but.
Speaker 1: Yeah so I think we should get into it should we dive into the movie go for it so the movie begins in the year of our lord 1898 and there is a man Daniel Plainview played by Daniel Day-Lewis he is in like a mine shaft a hole that's sort of a mine shaft and I believe he's mining for silver.
Speaker 3: Silver and gold I believe yeah okay yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's like picking at stuff with a pickaxe But then eventually he realizes, okay, I need to set an explosive. So he sets an explosive, climbs out of the hole, blows it up. Then he's going down to find what the explosion resulted in. And he slips and falls down the hole. And badly breaks his leg. And he is limping throughout the rest of the movie. But my takeaway is he's broken his leg. And after a moment of shock, he finds a big chunk of silver. And he's like, psyched. So he's kind of like, I don't.
Speaker 2: Care that I broke my leg. Part of the job.
Speaker 1: Part of the job.
Speaker 2: The first thing that starts off is the music. It starts off eerily like you are getting... It's coming screaming at you and it puts you in a black hole. And this guy's just down there with a pickaxe by himself. He's bananas. It's a bananas place to start a movie.
Speaker 1: I'm not smart enough to talk about scores. I don't understand music and scores, but I think the score is so effective, and I couldn't tell you exactly what about it, but all the scores always filled me with dread. Like, all the scores are very, all the music in this movie is like, this isn't good. Like, whatever's happening, like, I feel afraid.
Speaker 3: I think the idea is like, it's starting, like, like, the sound of it is, and it, it's amazing when it goes out for a while and then comes back. I think the idea is like, it's the idea, like you just said, like, He sees the silver and he doesn't give a shit that his leg is broken. It's the starting of the sickness. Of like, oh, this is the high I need.
Speaker 2: I'm good. And the music represents.
Speaker 3: Like, this is the battery that's going to charge him the whole time. This is the first movie that... This is Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead scored with PTA. They've now done pretty much every movie since.
Speaker 1: The score is incredible.
Speaker 3: The score is amazing. It was not even nominated for any type of Oscar because the score... included pieces that Johnny Greenwood had done before. So you couldn't use it because it wasn't totally original. The score for this movie is fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: That's too bad. So now it is 1902 and Daniel has an oil claim. He drops a spike in the ground in a pit and oil comes up and he's very, very happy. There's a man who's working with him that's holding a baby.
Speaker 2: I have to jump back. Sorry, you're one minute into the movie. I just have to jump back. He pulls himself out of this hole with a broken leg, with a piece of silver in his shirt, and he's pushing himself with one foot back to town, through the mountains. It shows you him push off on the ground and like, alright, this is going to take some time. But when I get there, I've got three pounds of silver in my shirt, and they show the silver miner place cutting him a check for $ 400.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And it's like, that's $ 400 for what he just put in right there.
Speaker 1: And he's laying on the ground with, like, a wood brace.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: That's probably not very effective.
Speaker 3: But also in 1898, $ 400. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And then, yeah, and they cut him a check, and it's like, next step, oil.
Speaker 3: The leg will fix itself.
Speaker 1: So I love, like, Daniel is not one of the type of guy. He's so driven. He's not one of the types of guys that's like, okay, you two do this for me because I'm not going to put myself in danger. So Daniel is like in the hole, like 50 feet down in the ground with another dude, just like getting oil out of the ground. And I thought like, this can't be good to just work in this hole, covered in, you're waist deep in oil, you're covered in oil. And 1902, they're using wooden planks beams that are like shoddily nailed together to lower down like heavy equipment. And shocker, the beams break and all the equipment comes tumbling down the hole. And there's just a really quick moment where I'm like, how did they shoot this? Where the hole is completely black. It's covered in oil. There's nothing else. They're covered head to toe in oil. The walls are oil. And when everything lands, you just see like a quick spray of red. And Daniel gets up, he's totally fine.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It missed him, it hit the other guy. Hit the other guy. That's the situation he's in. He's, it's 50-50. Yeah. I'm down in this hole, dropping a spike with this guy over here who's my brother. Yeah. You know, and now, but if some tools fall out of the sky and he's dead, time to, you know, pull me out and we struck oil. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Also, I think it's amazing the technology this time was... They just had buckets. They just strung up and pulled up. Yeah.
Speaker 2: And they were pouring them into that small pit. Not very efficient.
Speaker 1: I think they had the technology to not do that, but I don't think his operation was at that point.
Speaker 3: But I think it's like a subtle idea of like... The next time you see him, how much things have changed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. We're at the very early stages.
Speaker 3: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: This is.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the man who was killed was the guy who was holding a baby earlier. So Daniel is... Takes the guy's baby, is like bouncing it on his knee, and then the baby's crying. He's probably teething. So he dips a pacifier in whiskey. Whiskey is a big part of this movie. And gives it to the baby. So it's kind of like, oh, does he feel bad? Does he feel guilt? Is he adopting this baby?
Speaker 2: Someone's got to take care of this kid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what are you going to do with the kid? And there's a lot of discussion about, did he only do... this for business purposes? I agree with Kevin. Kevin just did the so-so hand motion. We're not on video.
Speaker 2: Oh, there's not a video? What?
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh.
Speaker 1: We installed cameras all over your ceiling.
Speaker 2: Well, no, I didn't want to jump out and say, but yeah, it's probably both. It's probably like, we've got to do something with this kid. looking around at the options. All right, the kid's coming with me to town.
Speaker 1: Again, this is 1902, so he's going to do what with it? If he sends this kid away, this kid's fucked.
Speaker 2: He also has something there that nobody else has. He's an oil man that has a five-year-old partner. Yes.
Speaker 1: So part of it, I think, is for business purposes.
Speaker 3: The shot on the train is just the most like, soul-crushing thing when he has the baby and the baby's just like touching his face you're just like oh no yeah oh no but the weird thing is i'm actually really glad because like i had not seen this since it was in theaters this movie's whole perception is about how like soulless daniel is and then re-watching i was kind of like i actually think daniel genuinely loved hw.
Speaker 2: They're showing a scene there which is such a throwaway four second scene where you're like Yeah, it's like, man, this is, like, back then, you guys are on a train now with this orphan to go do God knows what. You know, and you're having to capture the moment we had on the train. Outside of that, I'm staring out the window, not talking, not looking at this kid at all.
Speaker 3: But also, I think, too, like you just said, like, what are they not showing you? Where, like, you said, like, with Daniel, the leg was broken, probably had to fucking crab walk 28 miles to get it cashed in. So he took this kid and said, oh, well, this kid's a good commodity. I'll sell it. He has to change this kid's diapers.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Do what you guys do every day. Yep. That's a lot of fucking work. Who's changing the diapers? If he didn't give a shit, he probably did, especially Daniel, he'd probably just throw him in a well and walk away.
Speaker 1: So my big hot take, which apparently is not a hot take because you just said it, is my notes were like, Daniel is a good dad and Daniel loves HW until the end. And I will defend Daniel's parenting even when things get bad.
Speaker 3: I think it's the idea of like, remember we saw Zone of Interest? And Zone of Interest ends with the guy who is the Nazi commander who runs the area they're in. And he's going to puke but doesn't puke?
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And people interpret it as like, oh, that's like his humanity because he talks to his wife that he went to this Nazi party event. And she was like, how was it? And he goes, all I could imagine was how I'd gas everybody in the zone. The wife is the villain of that movie. Yeah, she's terrible. But he just says, I have now been so reprogrammed by what I do, all I could imagine was how I'd kill everybody in this room. Even though there are people in the Nazi party. I just thought, oh, this is what this is like. You're watching someone who is deprogramming themselves, but how all the cracks happen along the way. Fascinating.
Speaker 1: This is the big famous speech.
Speaker 2: I'm an oil man. I'm an oil man.
Speaker 1: Um, he's giving a speech to a group of people, uh, in a town. I'm a family man. This is my partner, HW.
Speaker 3: This is my son and my partner, which I love.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Yes. And he's giving a speech to this town to try to convince them to, to convince the town to sell Daniel.
Speaker 2: Yeah. To sell. They've, there's been some oil has come to the surface or whatever. And there's probably, you know, 10, 20 groups of families, uh, That could potentially sell him those plots or lease him a rig there, a couple rigs, to see if he can strike oil. And he's trying to get an answer from them on, you know, or give them a presentation on going with him. And basically, like, all the confusion in the meeting house, you know, he's out now. He's like, this is not the way forward is with all this confusion. Yeah. You know, I'll go. I can see that. Yeah, no, that's it.
Speaker 1: They're too educated for him. Like, he wants to sort of swindle... Totally. He wants to swindle rubes. And these people are educated, they're angry, they're debating.
Speaker 2: Well, no, he wants to buy land where there's oil. Like, can you do that with 40 different families that are not aligned? Like, not really.
Speaker 1: And it's also, at this point, it says 1911.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: So he's like, I'm done. I'm like, no, thank you. Thank you for your time.
Speaker 3: Can we also point out one part of this scene, too? And again, we're millisecond picking this thing, but I love when he starts talking and does his whole speech. The camera just beelines to H.W. for the whole speech, and then it just goes back to Daniel. I never noticed that before. I was like, wow, this very famous speech from this movie does really not feature him a lot.
Speaker 2: And they just show H.W.
Speaker 3: 's face.
Speaker 2: That was so interesting.
Speaker 1: He mentions paying a $ 1, 000 bonus to a family, so I did an inflation calculator, and that is about $ 35, 000.
Speaker 2: Okay. Okay.
Speaker 1: So he says you get a $ 35, 000 signing bonus and you get one-sixth of the rights to the land. Like if I make money, you get one-sixth.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if I make six million, you get one million.
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 1: But then again, this is in 1911 where like these contracts are not really followed. And like who knows if you're ever going to get paid. So someone– he's talking to this– I don't remember exactly. I think it's like a couple– And they ask, where is your wife? Because he has HW. And he says, my wife died in childbirth, which is not true.
Speaker 3: My note also was, brilliant response. No one will question you.
Speaker 2: Well, no. So he left that meeting and he's like, okay, I'm going to go meet with an individual family over here and try to buy their land. And the guy's sitting there with his wife kind of having a discussion. And he's talking about buying land. And she's like, where's this kid's mother? And he's just like, just to placate her. Perfect thing to say. There's no recourse. No, no, no. Because in 1911... They sold him the land.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: In 1911, that's totally reasonable. And also, like, wow, you're an oil businessman, and your wife died, and you're raising your son on your own? Like, what a great man you are.
Speaker 2: It just works out for you. Well, that's what I mean. He's the only oil man that has a five-year-old he's strutting around. Yep.
Speaker 1: The rest of them are married, which is a huge mistake. And then we are introduced to the one and only Paul Dano, who we've made fun of many times in this pod. Quentin Tarantino said he was a terrible actor. Too much controversy. I think Paul Dano's great, but I really hated his Riddler and the Batman with Robert Pattinson. Did you see that one? No. That's the most recent Batman movie. It's the Batman with Robert Pattinson. It's legitimately three hours long. Zoe Kravitz plays Catwoman, but he is a lot in that movie.
Speaker 2: And he's kind of a lot in this movie too but there's.
Speaker 1: It works you know also paul dano is playing a character named paul daniel day lewis is playing a character named daniel yeah um what if i told you paul paul says what if i told you i know a place where land could be bought cheaply but there's a lot of oil and then daniel says well tell me where the land is and we'll work something out awesome Kieran Hines. Kieran Hines? Kieran Hines.
Speaker 3: I thought it was Kieran. I could be wrong. Is it?
Speaker 1: Kieran Hines? Maybe. He's an Irish actor. He's Daniel's right-hand man in this movie.
Speaker 2: He's incredible.
Speaker 1: He's been in... He was in Munich. He played Julius Caesar in Rome. He played Mance Rayder in Game of Thrones.
Speaker 2: Um.
Speaker 1: Who your sister's dogs are named after. Yes.
Speaker 3: He's also the iconic character Steppenwolf from Justice League. Both versions.
Speaker 5: Um.
Speaker 1: Zack Snyder's Justice League, exactly.
Speaker 3: He's also in Glasgow? No, sorry, Glasgow.
Speaker 1: Belfast.
Speaker 3: Belfast, sorry.
Speaker 2: Jesus, my bad.
Speaker 1: It's really, really good.
Speaker 3: I love what Daniel says to Paul. He's like, here's $ 500. You tell me something worth hearing and it's yours. But also that's just such an insult because it's like, I think you're so dumb.
Speaker 2: This will just be enough for you.
Speaker 1: Well, he came in, yeah, he came in there and he was like 17 K.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Right. Well, he came, the kid came in there and he wanted $ 500. Yeah. Um, and all he had was information. This is a one-time transaction. If this, you know, like I gotta, I gotta find someone to bite on this. Yeah. Um, and he, he did, he, you know, he, he offered him 500 and he's the kid started talking and Daniel Day-Lewis is like, you know, he's now taking notes. He's like, now you're giving me all the right information. Yeah. At the end of that transaction, he's like, if you're, if I travel to this shithole city and this, all the information you told me isn't true.
Speaker 1: Don't say that about little Boston. Little Boston.
Speaker 2: You're a big fan of little Boston.
Speaker 1: Big fan of little Boston.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry. I didn't realize that. If I travel to this city and everything you told me is not true, I'm going to come back and basically I'm going to take my money and I'm going to kill you. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: He says, I think Paul asked him at this point, what church do you belong to?
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: And he says, what, Kevin?
Speaker 2: He says, I love all faiths. I don't have a favorite.
Speaker 1: It's like when people ask Trump, what's your favorite Bible passage? And he said, all of them are good.
Speaker 3: The whole book's great.
Speaker 2: Both of them. Both testaments are fantastic.
Speaker 1: And he's asking probing questions. And Paul's like, I'm not stupid. I'm not going to answer these. And he says, are there alkali deposits nearby or sulfur deposits? And Paul says, there's definitely alkali, but I don't know about sulfur. And then eventually he's like, okay, fine, I'm going to pay you. And Paul says, it's in Little Boston. Paul Sunday is his name. And they were like, what about the water there? And Paul says, the water's really salty. and daniel's like oh that's good that's good um and then daniel decides completely unrelated to oil he decides to go hunting for quail wow weird yeah So, Kevin, you love this part. So what does Daniel do at this point?
Speaker 2: Oh, it's great. Well, first of all, he rolls out in a... What kind of car is that that he's driving at that point? What kind of cars are there?
Speaker 1: A Ford Model T.
Speaker 2: I was thinking, yeah, okay. So he's driving out there in the nicest car that is made at the time in wherever he was. Where was he before this? In Wisconsin? I don't even know. Arizona?
Speaker 3: When they were first talking?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Anyway, he's driving through the desert in the nicest car they make at this time. parks in the middle of nowhere follows this kid's directions that he just bought for $ 500 with his son with you know all the gear for you know camping and quail hunting and you know robbing people blind and everything you need and he walks through the little sheep passage and ends up at these people's door who are the family of the kid that had just come to meet with him who sold out his family yeah the Sunday ranch and he he tells the guy that's living there they're just there to hunt and The guy welcomes them with open arms, gives them a place, gives them goat milk, water, whatever, and they go set off looking to see if there's oil in these hills.
Speaker 1: Sorry to interrupt you, but I think it's just adorable that back at this time in 1911, if some stranger showed up in your yard and they were like, Hi, can you feed us dinner and we'll sleep.
Speaker 3: In your yard?
Speaker 1: And you're like, yes, that's fine.
Speaker 2: You found the right place.
Speaker 3: The family is so... I'll describe it best. Disgustingly nice.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: So they have that whole conversation about what we're doing, what we're camping for, whatever. When Daniel and H.W. are going to walk off to set up their camp, the guy says off camera, I'm so sorry we don't have any bread. I just go, I'm like, Daniel must be just grinning because this guy is the definition of a perfect mark. I showed up on his turf here to invade and he's apologizing to me. Like insane.
Speaker 1: I was thinking about not to totally go down a crazy sidetrack, but I was thinking about like pro wrestling and how these stories you hear from pro wrestlers, you can never believe if they're true. And it's like, why is that? And it's these people come from carnival culture. Like they're liars. So Daniel is a very wealthy, legitimate, successful version of a snake oil salesman.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: He's controlling every situation he's in. Yeah.
Speaker 1: And, and the reason they don't have bread is they're like, we can't, we don't have, we don't have milk.
Speaker 2: He's like, no, of course you don't have bread because of all the oil.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: We can't, we can't, we can't, we can't grow, um, grain to make bread. We don't have milk from cows cause we can't feed the cows cause we can't grow anything to feed them. And Daniel knows, Oh, this is like the perfect terrain for oil. That's why you can't grow anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Um, and they meet. So Paul, they think it's Paul. Approaches them.
Speaker 2: It was a crazy scene to re-watch the last 16 times I've seen this movie. Paul Dano approaches them. At first, even as the person watching the movie, you go, the same kid that sold him the land is now working at this farm again? Yeah, yeah. That's what it is, but they're playing a trick just on the person watching. You have to be following what's going on here. And even they exchange glances, H.W. and Daniel Day-Lewis, and the kid is showing like, I think I understand what just happened here. This freak has a twin brother. Like how many of those do you see back then?
Speaker 3: At that time of like the world, like you're like, how many twins have you seen?
Speaker 2: Zero. That was the only twins.
Speaker 3: You can't imagine that's real.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 3: It's like, wait, what?
Speaker 1: So he approaches them and he goes like, hi. And they're looking at him like, hello, Paul. But they don't say anything. And he goes, I'm Eli. And they go, oh, this is the brother he mentioned.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So they just play it cool. And they go like, oh, hello, I'm quail hunting with my family. And they go to dinner with the family in their home, and Daniel's like, you have a lovely property, I want to hunt quail here. And he says, I will give you $ 3, 700 for this property in your land.
Speaker 2: Well, they went out hunting first, and H.W. tripped over some oil that was coming out of the ground.
Speaker 1: Yes, that's true.
Speaker 2: And so they're like, they're high-fiving Daniel. while they're on their quail hunting trip. And then they're like, all right, let's go have dinner with these people.
Speaker 1: So Eli says, no, we're not going to do a 3,700. There's oil on this land and we want $ 10, 000. And I want you to donate it to the church. I want $ 5, 000 for the land and 5,000 for the church. And so that would be about 350 K roughly. So not bad. And, um, Daniel's like, sure.
Speaker 3: Fine.
Speaker 1: And then Eli wants to pray with them and they hold hands. And you can tell that Daniel's like, praying type at this point you see the yank right yeah yeah he's not all he's all first of all he's not a hold hands guy no kevin you're not a hold hands guy.
Speaker 2: I learned that i learned that the hard way i mean i don't know if i'm a hardcore no hand holding guy but you know do you hold hands with megan occasionally do you i'm a big like holding hands with my daughter guy but not like with other humans like who are my options to hold hands with megan Okay, no, but I mean, like, who else, like, what would really impress you, someone else that I'm holding hands with?
Speaker 3: Ryan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like, oh, yeah.
Speaker 3: Me? Yep, here you go. Oh.
Speaker 1: Can we record the whole podcast?
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is, Ryan went open hand, Tim went five fingers.
Speaker 1: So we should make this, I want to make this the photo of the pod. That's not necessary. So I have tiny little baby hands, and Kevin has enormous NFL linebacker hands. I want to, can we, can't do this?
Speaker 2: Visually? What do you want to do? Sure.
Speaker 1: I want to go hand to hand.
Speaker 2: Holy shit.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God.
Speaker 1: I'm, like, such a pathetic, like, weak... I'm such a weak, pathetic little... This is, like, a father and daughter... This is me and Cece. What happened? This is me and Cece.
Speaker 2: What did you do? Whatever makes you happy. What did you eat? What did I eat?
Speaker 3: Oh, God.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm gonna make this a photo of the... This is disgusting. This is something wrong with the person who has these hands. Anyways, um... so uh okay go ahead so.
Speaker 3: Recording yeah sorry yeah of course pause for the photo when they pull the hand away that's when the business starts now here we go.
Speaker 2: The music i wouldn't even describe the music as music like with music you this is all it's it was kind of again like playing tricks on you because it's just like it's just it's hitting a different chord in your in your brain at least the energy Yeah, the weird energy. I hated it, but it's also, it's like very fitting for the movie.
Speaker 3: It's like the curdling is starting. Yeah, oh man.
Speaker 1: The curdling is very true.
Speaker 2: It's also, you're thinking to yourself like, oh God, I hope this doesn't get too much worse than this. Because this is already like.
Speaker 1: Sure does.
Speaker 3: But also, when the music kind of like, we'll see it later, but when the music is so good, like building, building, building, and then like, when the music doesn't melt, I'll describe it that way, it's like, It is right because it's not so much like melting for tragedy or melting for sadness. It's more just like, oh, man, this.
Speaker 2: Is just– The pace.
Speaker 3: It's just getting better.
Speaker 2: It keeps up with the pace. It's brutal.
Speaker 1: So next he goes to the real estate agent in town who's played by the legend Jim Downey.
Speaker 3: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Who is the head– He's from Billy Madison, the game show host. He's the head writer on SNL for decades. He's amazing. He co-wrote Weekend Update with Norm MacDonald, a great Conor O'Brien podcast– Hilarious. With Jim Downey.
Speaker 3: Oh, my God. So funny.
Speaker 1: One of my favorite parts of that podcast is they're talking about something, finances or something, and Jim Downey says, Conan, do you know Jeffrey Epstein, the New York financier? And then Conan goes, Jeffrey Epstein, yes. The man who's arrested for sex trafficking? And then Downey just acts really confused and goes, no, I'm talking about he's a finance guy, the New York financier. I don't think you got in any trouble for that. And Conan was like, he very much did. And he was like, I think you're talking about something else.
Speaker 2: Hold on.
Speaker 1: Let me call my friend Ghislaine Maxwell and we'll settle this once and for all. And then Conan goes, don't call Ghislaine Maxwell.
Speaker 3: I love, uh, Gourley on that show, one of the co-hosts.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Has his own show. And to, he always talks about his own show. How about how like, he's like, my face was hurting. Cause like you were like, You just truly didn't believe if he knew if it was real or not.
Speaker 2: Like, it was amazing.
Speaker 1: But anyways, he's Al.
Speaker 5: Al?
Speaker 3: Al.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And he's like.
Speaker 2: I mean, he's literally only in the movie for maybe three minutes. Is that tops?
Speaker 3: In total, but spread out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, spread out. I mean, so he's not... But he had like one of the... How do you have one of the biggest roles in the movie when you're in it for three minutes?
Speaker 3: Well, this... It's funny. When you look at the Wikipedia, this movie's cast is what, like 14 people?
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Total it's very small for speaking roles yeah and.
Speaker 2: They said there was only two scenes that daniel day lewis was not in um.
Speaker 1: Uh one is when they flash back to the peach tree dance and then what's the other what's.
Speaker 3: The other scene you're jumping ahead.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah hw and mary so he says uh yeah this this jim down is a real estate agent this could be got this could be got this could be got and daniel says is there anything can everything around here be got and he says sure.
Speaker 2: This real estate agent is ready to sell out the entire town for a commission check.
Speaker 1: That's his job. And so then these oil guys arrive by train because they heard about this. But Daniel's already all over it. He's been there. And this guy, Gene, he runs into. And I love this. Because this is like, I kind of experienced this in my job because I will go to an event for one of my clients and the people at my role at other companies will be at the same event and then they'll like awkwardly talk to me. So he sees Gene and he was like, Gene, I'm telling you, if you're looking for oil, you got to go east. And you're like, nope, like go west. If Daniel's telling you to go east, go west. And he says, I don't want the other guys to get it. If it was anybody that would get it other than me, I'd want it to be you, Gene. And then Gene says to HW, Hey, don't get swindled by your dad.
Speaker 3: He might be the only person who cares about his.
Speaker 1: No, Kieran Hines definitely did.
Speaker 3: He definitely did.
Speaker 2: It's actually heartbreaking to watch. The visuals of this, though, just even the costumes and the way the train's coming in, it's super old-looking, 100 years old-looking. Oh, my God. And again, this is a throwaway scene that transforms you into a place where you're like, you can smell the freaking smoke coming off the train in this scene.
Speaker 3: You can feel the movie.
Speaker 2: Oh, yeah.
Speaker 1: You know how you and I totally... Like, completely hypnotized Kevin and got him into Ari Aster.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I think a director that we need to get Kevin into is Robert Eggers.
Speaker 2: Oh, you'll love it.
Speaker 1: The attention to detail is psychotic.
Speaker 3: I think, maybe also, too, like, I was thinking, like, watching this movie made me think of the proposition with, like, early John Hillcoat, where, like, the proposition is, like... Have you ever.
Speaker 1: Seen The Proposition? It's a Western.
Speaker 2: I don't think so.
Speaker 1: It's so good.
Speaker 3: The music alone makes you feel dirty.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: The movie is so filthy.
Speaker 2: It's great. So.
Speaker 1: So then Al says to Daniel, we got to buy the bandit tract. The bandit tract, he's a holdout.
Speaker 2: You're going to want that.
Speaker 1: You're going to want that. He wants to talk to you. And then Daniel's like, I'm not going to talk to him. He can come to me. He'll want to buy just like everybody. He'll want to sell just like everybody else. So he's giving a speech. And I think this is really important because Daniel, as you'll come to find out, not a huge fan of humans. of relationships of like being a part of a community and when he's selling the people here in the scene in the town he's he's not like hey we're gonna get oil and you're all gonna get money that's not what he's saying he's saying once we get the oil and the money comes in we're gonna build a school we're gonna build an irrigation system you can have grain you can have bread he's selling them on like your town and community you'll all be happier and closer and better and and it's all bullshit. He's not going to build a fucking irrigation system.
Speaker 2: Who was trying to sell the monorail to Springfield?
Speaker 1: So that's based on a movie called The Music Man, but I have a note that he literally, literally right here, Lyle Landley.
Speaker 2: Amazing.
Speaker 1: I wrote that right there. The monorail, this is written by Conan O'Brien.
Speaker 2: Because that was Phil Hartman did that, right?
Speaker 1: Yes. Lyle Landley goes to Springfield to sell them on the monorail. And I wrote right here, you can see it, Daniel is Lyle Landley.
Speaker 2: It's amazing. It's amazing. Because even in, they were making a mockery of that in The Simpsons where they were making it so over the top. But it reminds me, I have to tell this. A friend of mine was, he told me the story of buying a condo in Museum Way in Cambridge in like the late 90s. Okay. And the presentation that they got, this is now over by, it's like, it's like a quarter mile up the Zaken Bridge. Okay. This presentation they had, he said it showed like a pinwheel, like a monorail taking you from the city back and forth. This is 25 years ago. This just still isn't there now. Yeah. But the implication was when you're seeing that is this, you're going to be so far from where you want to be that we're going to have to build an infrastructure to get you there just for you to be content living out here.
Speaker 3: Hey guys, the future's already here.
Speaker 1: And, uh, Eli asks, this is so the monorail guy. He goes, will the road you're building lead to the church? And he says, that's the first place it'll lead to.
Speaker 2: Yeah. And also, the end of the monorail song is the best part by far, which is monorail, monorail, monorail.
Speaker 1: Mono-do. Main Street's still all cracked and broken. Sorry, Mom, the mob has spoken.
Speaker 2: Homer misses. The mob has spoken. I forgot Homer missed the line.
Speaker 1: Oh, yeah, mono-do. Homer being the monorail conductor Dad I opened up the breaker panel in your monorail booth and it was filled with a family of possums and then Homer says I call the big one bitey bitey so you know he's messed with it and it bit him but when they start to object Lyle Landley says sorry this is more of a Shelbyville idea and they go like.
Speaker 2: No no no do you remember what was the line that that episode ended with.
Speaker 1: That the episode ended with. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Ryguy? Not sure.
Speaker 3: He's way better than me with Simpsons stuff, yeah.
Speaker 2: I could be mistaken, but I think Homer throws the hook out the window to stop the monorail and catches in the donut.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And he says, donuts, is there anything they can't do?
Speaker 1: That is not the last. I believe that when the outro is Marge is saying, and that's the last mistake Springfield ever made, Until they did this. And they showed some other horrible thing that they did right after.
Speaker 2: You're probably right. Definitely right.
Speaker 1: Going back to Batman for a second. And a fucking amazing line in that episode. Was when Marge gets a scientist who can actually help them.
Speaker 3: To stop the monorail.
Speaker 1: And she calls Homer. And she goes, Homer, I got someone to help us.
Speaker 3: Batman?
Speaker 1: No, it's a scientist. Batman's a scientist? It's not Batman. Okay. So Eli says, well, you know. Daniel, when you open the well and it pumps out oil for the first time, I think it's a really important moment for me as the pastor of the town to bless the oil well. And can we do that together? And Daniel's like, sounds great. I would love to.
Speaker 2: We'll meet you up there. How about 7, 730?
Speaker 1: He says, he says four o'clock and he goes four o'clock.
Speaker 3: It is.
Speaker 2: Let's make it four.
Speaker 3: I love, I also love Eli's about to say something and Daniel just goes, thank you for your visit. I'm done. That was great.
Speaker 1: So Mary, who's the little girl in the Sunday family, and this is like a moment where like, oh, Daniel's a human? So Daniel's clearly drunk, but he's.
Speaker 3: Everyone's drinking normally. He's drinking out of the flask and bottle.
Speaker 1: The flask. But he knows Mary's dad. H.W. said, my friend Mary, who I met in town, the Sunday girl, she said her dad beats her.
Speaker 2: If she doesn't pray.
Speaker 1: If she doesn't pray. So then.
Speaker 2: Daniel.
Speaker 1: takes Mary and puts her on his lap, and you're like, what is he doing?
Speaker 2: It's so much more awkward than this.
Speaker 1: But he's right next to the girl's dad.
Speaker 2: So there's... I've seen this so many times, and I asked you about this earlier, and you're like, save that for the pod. And I'm like, eesh, because that's going to... I want to talk about this on the podcast, because I have no idea what's going on there. You know, he is such a non-human, like involved in society in any way. that he thinks he's going to take this opportunity when he's plastered in the middle of the night, in the middle of the town, to grab this little girl that's running by him and have a one-off conversation with her in front of her dad. And then he tells her when he lets her go, now go off and play and don't come back, is what he tells her. I'm going to solve this and I don't want to see you again.
Speaker 1: But he does say, like, your dad's not going to beat you anymore, right? Now that we have the oil here, like, everything's good. Your dad's not going to beat you. And then he kind of turns and, like, looks at him. Like, I know what you're fucking doing and you're going to stop. So even though it's very twisted and weird the way he approaches it.
Speaker 2: It's his kind of, he's trying to, this is him trying to do something nice.
Speaker 1: Yes.
Speaker 3: But also, like, what's amazing when you watch that scene, if you watch Married. She's genuinely mortified.
Speaker 2: She's terrified. She's terrified.
Speaker 3: And then he, what's so evil about it, even though, of course, what her dad is doing to her is awful, he's saying it out loud to her.
Speaker 2: That there's going to be no more hitting, okay?
Speaker 3: And he's just rubbing her hands.
Speaker 6: And she's like, okay, you're right. And are you glad I came here? And then all they do is cut to the dad, and the dad is just crumbling, hearing it and being like, oh, this monster is in charge.
Speaker 1: I'm fucked.
Speaker 3: Again, what you're doing is wrong.
Speaker 2: But it's also, it's like, Daniel, your bedside manner with this town is not terrific. No. You know?
Speaker 3: I think in his inhuman mind, it's like, I'm doing the right thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But also, it's not.
Speaker 3: It doesn't matter. The nature is not.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that was a thing. I thought that was, again, like you think some things are throwaway scenes the first time you see them, and then later on you go, oof, that kind of rubbed me the wrong way.
Speaker 3: My thinking is this, why, like, When they hold things on one shot, they don't cut away. You're telling us, I'm spending time on this. I'm spending your time as if you were on this.
Speaker 2: Why?
Speaker 3: What are you trying to tell me?
Speaker 1: Not in a bad way. This is a very... I don't want to say slow movie. It takes its time.
Speaker 3: It does, which is great.
Speaker 1: In a good way.
Speaker 3: Because the build is great. And even though it never, to me, until we get to a later scene, it never feels fast. But for a long movie, it does move really well. Because also, they make you sit with a lot of the decisions that happen in the movie.
Speaker 7: Yes.
Speaker 3: To me. Yes. They aren't like, wow, at the end you're like, holy shit, this was such a rollercoaster train wreck. We just watched this tragic thing happen. It's like, well, no, we're kind of going to phase by phase, step by step, show you this is how this human disintegrates as they make these choices.
Speaker 5: And you see how the things fall apart around them. Then you also see in a very darkly positive way some of the good things that happen for the people around them or how they react to him.
Speaker 2: It's interesting, yeah.
Speaker 1: So, come four o'clock, Eli shows up to bless the well in front of the town, and Daniel's giving a speech, and you're waiting for him to introduce Eli, and he just never does.
Speaker 2: I was not waiting for him to introduce Eli. Anybody that was watching the thing, he's going to let this guy bless the well, it's like, you missed the mark.
Speaker 3: Because when Eli's telling him, like, how to introduce him, I was kind of like, uh.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, I'm not sure it's going to go this way. And of course, I love, again, this movie's so funny that he said, like, when he is like, Eli's like, so, like, when you introduce me, he's like, you've brought a lot to this town, like, you're the pastor, you're the voice of the people, and they just cut back to Daniel, and he's just like, yeah, he's like, like, none of this is real.
Speaker 2: He's like, oh, yes, oh, yeah, of course.
Speaker 3: I'll do it in a minute, and he doesn't do, and also, he takes all of his best lines as his own. He's like, I know you're a town of prayer.
Speaker 1: It's just unreal.
Speaker 3: It's so good.
Speaker 1: Uh, cut to the first time, we gotta keep track of this, Daniel is passed out face first on the floor, drunk, and, um, a man has died in the well. Mm-hmm. So he's woken up and he's like, Daniel, we lost a man in the well. So Daniel.
Speaker 2: So this guy's also... So he's in a community of how many people at this point? 150? At the most. Okay, 150. He's the richest guy in the town by leaps and bounds. There's nobody else that's even close.
Speaker 1: He owns the entire town. It's like you and me versus Bill Cuff.
Speaker 2: Probably not that far off. So. So he decides his most comfortable resting place is flat, drunk, on his belly, on a wooden floor. It's like a cabin. All I'm thinking to myself is there's no AC in there, but I don't think that was a thing back then.
Speaker 3: When you watch it, again, throughout the history of this movie, I guess they go through the time leaps.
Speaker 2: He just doesn't deserve a bed.
Speaker 3: As we all.
Speaker 2: Know, to end up asleep drunk on the floor, you have to take your last few drinks on the floor. You're committed to, like, this is where I'll be, and then I'll... I'll just say you have been committed. You are not committed.
Speaker 1: You are blacking out.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can't function anymore.
Speaker 1: You're not, like, getting really drunk.
Speaker 3: You are blacking out.
Speaker 2: No, you're also not drinking... You're not drinking, like, out of a glass anymore. At this point, you're just holding a bottle.
Speaker 1: Absolutely.
Speaker 7: Uh this is like a high school boy kind of blackout and um so he he wakes up he deals with he's like okay we're gonna have a funeral he handles it decently i guess and he has to involve eli because he knows like funeral church and he goes and eli is doing some really just gross faith healing yes like Oh.
Speaker 2: You are blind.
Speaker 1: I put my hand upon you and the Lord restores your sight. And you're just like.
Speaker 2: He's preying on the oldest woman in the congregation.
Speaker 3: They're going to heal her arthritis. This whole thing is about they both do.
Speaker 1: The same thing. They're both opposite sides of the same coin. They're both flim-flam men. Snake oil salesmen.
Speaker 2: But between the two of them, I'd choose Daniel. You can't really see how Paul Dano could have disdain for Daniel Day-Lewis. Like, he's out there splitting rocks to get to oil on the ground. He's out there working with his hands. You know, this guy's a snake oil salesman. You know, like, Paul Dano's not really in a position to judge Daniel Day-Lewis, but you can see how Daniel Day-Lewis could be coming to their head-to-head conversations with, you know, maybe a legitimate gripe about this guy.
Speaker 3: I mean.
Speaker 1: No, you go ahead.
Speaker 2: Please.
Speaker 1: Well, I obviously hate all religion, but I'm more on Daniel's side because I can't defend Daniel. He's an awful guy, but he's doing a tangible thing. He's going in the ground, pulling oil out.
Speaker 2: So he's working on his hands.
Speaker 1: And selling it to a company. Even if he had other men do it. He's still going to the ground, getting oil out, sending it to a company. It's a physical, tangible thing. Eli is talking promises and ether and fairy dust. And that, I don't respect that.
Speaker 3: Both are selling false hope. Yes. Daniel's is more practical because you can see the results. What bothers me about Eli's is, which I think is actually a great thing about the Paul Dana performance, is like, what you're promising is truly supernatural. Yes. That no one can promise.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 3: And I feel like, again, as Tim brought up the whole idea about the Tarantino commentary about it, was like, That actually is kind of, to me, the smart move of the performance is like, of course this guy's underwhelming. What he's saying, what he's doing, a human can't do. So of course it's going to look like fraudulent. And of course Daniel's going to hate it. But here's the thing. The people Daniel needs, Eli has control over.
Speaker 2: That's the whole point. Yes.
Speaker 3: And it's like, that's the idea.
Speaker 2: That took me a few times to figure that out. That, like, he's, like, Daniel needs... They cover it in the movie, but I don't think I really caught it the first time.
Speaker 1: You gotta play the game, like, yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, it's like, well, he says to him, he asks him, he's like, the guy that died was a man of faith. He believed in your bullshit.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay? So, I'm gonna need you to bless his funeral and say some positive things and move us on from this. Send the men back to work. And Paul Dano's like, he's like, well, you know, we... you know, we need, I've seen some men drinking on the job, you know, and maybe they're working too many hours and not coming to church, and Daniel Day-Lewis is like, listen, if they're not up there 12 hours a day, then there's not going to be money blown through this town, you know, which never ends up happening anyway, but.
Speaker 3: But do you think the movie does a good job of being like, okay, because, quote-unquote, like, Eli doesn't bless it, bad shit continues to happen.
Speaker 2: Well, that's the whole thing about religion and looking up at the sun god and everything else is like, Good things are going to happen. Bad things are going to happen. When something good happens, I was there. When something bad happens, you should have done this. And that's what Daniel Day-Lewis knows. Like, listen, I broke my leg when there was, you know, like I fell down a well. We lost tools. Fires went off. People died. Like these things are happening. It's an oil job, you know, an oil site.
Speaker 1: But Daniel knows there's PR to every company. And Daniel knows as much as he hates it. He goes, Eli, will you say some words about this dead man? And then he says the line that we mentioned earlier, well, that was one goddamn hell of a show.
Speaker 2: So great.
Speaker 1: So great. So great. Next is there's a guy.
Speaker 2: Daniel Day-Lewis is looking at the entire church thing as this is just a performance.
Speaker 1: He's a scam artist, and he knows a scammer.
Speaker 2: He's a scam artist, yeah.
Speaker 1: He's a schemer, as the Joker would say, and he knows a schemer when he sees one. So he's like, yeah, okay, I'm scamming this town, but I know what you are. and I'm not going to be scammed by you. This is so ridiculous. And he has no respect for it, because, like, I'm building this wooden structure and putting it into the ground. You're just talking.
Speaker 3: Well, he's also used to other scammers, like other people in his business, quote-unquote, breaking the fourth wall.
Speaker 2: Like, you're like, okay, wait.
Speaker 3: You have to present this to the people who don't know what they're doing. Now we talk.
Speaker 2: Eli doesn't do that.
Speaker 3: And that's also what drives him insane.
Speaker 1: So they're pumping oil next, and then all of a sudden... There's like a rumbling and a man screams, gas, gas! And there's an explosion. H.W., Daniel's son, was watching the pumping and he's blown back in this explosion. It's raining oil. Daniel runs out and he says, hand me H.W. And they hand him H.W. He runs holding H.W. He's saying, were you hit in the head? Were you hit in the head? And H.W. can talk. He says, no, I can't hear my own voice. And Daniel says, well, stay here. He knows, like, okay, H.W. 's not going to die. He's fine. So he says, stay here. And H.W. 's saying, don't leave, don't leave. And then Daniel leaves, and there's now an oil fire, the oil derrick fire. Kieran Hines comes out, and he's like, oh, shit, like, fuck, this is a huge mess. There's a gas explosion. There's a fire. Oh, my God. And then Daniel says, why are you looking so miserable? There's an ocean of oil beneath our feet.
Speaker 2: And I control it all.
Speaker 1: And I control it all. And then Daniel says to Kieran Hines, HW okay? And he says, no. No, sorry. Other way around. Kieran Hines says, is HW okay? Kieran Hines cares about HW.
Speaker 3: And then Kieran Hines leaves when Daniel says no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he goes, no, he isn't okay. And then he goes, where's HW? Mess room. So then Kieran Hines... Runs out to the mess room. Not Daniel. Daniel's just enjoying... Also.
Speaker 3: The music here is just fucking... I don't.
Speaker 2: Know how to describe it.
Speaker 3: It's on an 11, yeah. But it's just like... It's just showing again. It's the reprogramming. It's my greatest success in my worst. like, I truly proved, like he said, there's a fucking ocean of oil here, this will be the richest deposit.
Speaker 2: Of my life. And Kieran Hines, I'm sorry, yeah, go ahead. No. I'm like, Kieran Hines, I didn't even know who that was, but he's been in a million things, but he's probably only in the movie, too, for about ten minutes.
Speaker 3: But good. Phenomenal.
Speaker 5: Yes.
Speaker 2: Absolutely phenomenal. He's so good. Every scene that he's in, he steals every scene he's in, and that's a tough thing to do. Some of the other actors do that, which is incredible.
Speaker 1: And you would think he's a better dad than Daniel, because is HW okay?
Speaker 2: No, he isn't.
Speaker 1: Where is he? Mess hall. Runs away.
Speaker 3: Just leaves.
Speaker 1: And Daniel, meanwhile, is just basking in how great is this? It's literally raining oil.
Speaker 3: I'm so rich. And then HW saying, don't leave me is so crushing to watch.
Speaker 2: So crushing.
Speaker 1: And Daniel just runs off.
Speaker 2: So crushing to watch.
Speaker 1: With that, HW just got his eardrums blown out. We're bringing this to a part two. Woo!
Speaker 2: And we're, what, 45 minutes into the movie? We're actually pretty decently into it.
Speaker 1: We're pretty decently into it. But thank you for listening, and we'll catch you on the.
Speaker 2: Flip. Flip. F.