Speaker 1: It's time for strange science, and we'll go with that. Strange.
Speaker 2: It's like weird science, but strange.
Speaker 3: Well, I hate to steal the puffin story, but I'm gonna.
Speaker 2: I'm back. Yes, I don't know what happened, but it got rid of me, and I thought my way back to give the puffin news good.
Speaker 3: I see that it was the puffins that drew you out of your slumber.
Speaker 2: I love puffins, right, I just loved the idea of puffins. And I was very old when I first saw a puffin up in Alaska, and I was startled because I thought puffins, when you'd see a picture of a puffin, were these big, massive birds. And when I saw them, they were these little baby birds. I had no idea they were so small. Did you make that same mistake or no.
Speaker 3: I have never seen a puffin in real life that I can recall. Actually, I probably haven't a zoo somewhere, but I don't think i've I've definitely not seen them in the wild.
Speaker 2: There's a small rocky island off Iceland that's home to the world's largest breeding colony of Atlantic puffins. When breeding season is in full go there are about one point five million adults that pair up and nestle into burrows on the grassy seaside slopes. Once the chicks hatch, puffin moms and dads devote about six weeks to caring for their babies. They bring them meals of small fish, they fend off predators like seagulls, and then by August or early September, the little pufflings are mature enough to live on their own. Their instinct is to head for the open ocean, where they will spend most of their lives. But sometimes they lose their way. Really, I mean, this town near Iceland or in Iceland, only got electricity about a century ago, So sometimes the puffins take a wrong turn because they're dad's by the night lights.
Speaker 3: Well they talk about this. It's not puffing or puffin patrol. It's the puffling patrol searches for and rescues these birds that have gone astray.
Speaker 2: The baby puffing puffins.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but it's funny. They call it puffling puffling. Yeah, you're gonna have to get a little shirt, says I. Puffle for food? Or will puffling puffling? Not puffling puffling? Oh?
Speaker 1: I get it, like baby puffing, got it? Never mind? Got it, got it, I get it.
Speaker 2: Look at you. You made an error. I asked for an error four hours ago and I finally got one. Okay, it wasn't a heroin needle in your arm.
Speaker 1: No, but the day is young.
Speaker 2: Or boy.
Speaker 3: Sciences have developed a new artificially intelligence powered modeling method that mimics how birds produce song, similar to how large language models like CHATCHBT would generate human sentences. They said they train these AI models on birds song recordings, and the model can successfully recreate sequences of Bengalese finch songs, revealing important insights into how birds structure their vocalizations.
Speaker 2: That we Bengalese finch, that.
Speaker 3: We birds and humans can arrange our vocal expressions in very structured ways. When it comes to human speech, the words follow specific grammatical rules of birds sing in organized syllabic patterns, which is a strange way to put it.
Speaker 2: So look up what the Bengalese finch sounds like.
Speaker 1: It sounds a little bit like this. I'm gary, I'm a carbon based life form. Get it. Strange science, I get it.
Speaker 2: That's very funny.
Speaker 1: And listen.
Speaker 3: I don't know exactly where it started, but this was the first one of the day because I don't remember.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gary.
Speaker 2: I have a good sense of knowing.
Speaker 3: Where I'm at. And that started an absolute waterfall of those types of calls.
Speaker 1: For some reason.
Speaker 3: I'm giddy.
Speaker 2: This may be better than the apple day. It may be better. Yeah, how did that? Was that just that guy's own take on something that that you were it's giving yourself a pat on the back, froving good direction?
Speaker 3: Well, and it wasn't. I didn't say I don't think. I said I have good directions. I know where I'm going. I said, my wife tells me often that I.
Speaker 2: Know No, no, no, no. The first time you did I did. You said I have a good sense of direction. And I specifically remember it because you threw your your wife under the bus at the same time she walked twelve miles in the wrong direction, and and and you said, you said I have a good sense of the direction. Now I didn't take it as a look at me, I'm so wonderful, but apparently that guy did. But the second time you talked about it, you did say, my wife does say that I have a good sense of direction.
Speaker 1: The yeah,