Speaker 1: You're listening to KFI a M six forty wake Up Call with me Amy King on demand on the iHeartRadio apps.
Speaker 2: I will up with Kyla him and I thought I heard the scream imagine not the spookiness of Sid's unsene turned into KFI and that it was a King reminding me.
Speaker 1: That it was only Halloween.
Speaker 3: Wap call.
Speaker 1: KFI is wake up call.
Speaker 2: She is the bell of the ball, she has the news.
Speaker 4: What ass make up?
Speaker 1: KFI is wake up calls? It is wake up call, and it's five o'clock. Happy Halloween. I'm Amy King. We're live everywhere on the KFI iHeartRadio app. That ended very abruptly, Kno. I didn't realize that had enended like that. Okay, well, happy Halloween. So glad that you're here with us today. We've got a lot ahead. Of course, the Dodgers, I mean, come on, what a game? I will say, Yankees, what the heck? Those are the little drop balls and all of that stuff and the errors. You really kind of opened the door for the boys in Blue butt. We'll take it. And wow, what a series that was so much fun to watch. Here's what's ahead on wake Up Call this Halloween. Morning, thousands of people hit the streets of LA to celebrate the Dodgers winning their eighth World Series title. There were street takeovers and fireworks and Dodgers flags waving, and a city bus was torched. The least declared an unlawful assembly and issued a dispersal order in three areas, including at Sunset Boulevard and Vin Scully Avenue right in front of Dodger Stadium. Thousands will hit the streets of West Hollywood tonight for Halloween Carnival twenty twenty four. The party happens along a one mile stretch of Santa Monica Boulevard from six to eleven. No weapons, no alcohol, no backpacks, and no silly string allowed. More than two hundred and sixty thousand California homeowners are about to see their insurance rates take a big jump. The sixth largest insurer in the state is raising rates. USAA is hiking premiums sixteen percent for homes and thirty one percent for condos by February. USAA Casualty is increasing rates twenty five percent for houses and forty percent for condos in December. We're going to find out why we love to get scared so much and why it's actually good for you. That's coming up at five twenty And did you know that kids are bringing home, on average about eleven thousand calories worth of candy from trick or treating. That and other fun things about Halloween you may not know is coming up at the bottom of the hour. Let's get started with some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news run. Here's the one two pitch from bueler.
Speaker 5: God, I'm swinging.
Speaker 2: That's it.
Speaker 5: That's a World Series win for Elay.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers are World Series champions. They came from behind last night to beat the Yankees seven to six in Game five of the series. Freddie Freeman was named, of course, MVP and says it's an unbelievable feeling to win it all every spring training, this is our goal and for it to come true at this group of guys, I couldn't ask for a better year. Holy cow whoo. It's the Dodgers' eighth World Series championship in franchise history and their second in five years. A World Series Championship parade is set for tomorrow morning in downtown LA, followed by a special ticketed celebration at Dodgers Stadium. LA County DA George Gascone is asking Governor Newsom for clemency for the Menendez brothers, who murdered their parents in Beverly Hills in nineteen eighty nine. Gascone has written letters to the Governor on behal half of each brother. The DA says the brother's dedication to rehabilitation make them exemplary candidates for clemency. If Newsom OKAYSI, the Menendez brothers could see their life without parole sentences reduced, or they could be released immediately. A resentencing hearing is also set for December eleventh. The next LAPD chief has addressed concerns about mounting lawsuits against the department.
Speaker 4: Former La County Sheriff Jim McDonald has been approved by the City Council's Public Safety Committee and now is nomination by Mayor bass Heads to the full council. McDonald told the committee this week he wants to address the high cost of liability claims against the LAPD. What are the types of issues we deal and why are we seeing them over and over again?
Speaker 1: Are we sufficiently training our command officers.
Speaker 6: To be able to be conversant in risk management issues.
Speaker 4: The city had already paid out more than its budgeted amount to settle lawsuits just three months into the new fiscal year, with the bulk related to police in downtown La Michael Monks KFI News.
Speaker 1: Health officials say two more cases of dengay fever have been confirmed in La County. They say one new case is in Baldwin Park, the other is in the Hollywood Hills. The Department of Public Health says there are now eleven known cases they're investigating, including a cluster of seven in Baldwin Hills. The other places where dang gay has shown up is Panorama City and El Norte. And it'd stay good morning now and also say happy birthday to Nick Poliochni. Good morning Nick, Happy birthday. Good morning Amy. I thought you were going to lunch into the traffic car right now, Oh I am, but I wanted to say happy birthday, thank you. You may or may not know that Nick Poliochini was born on Halloween, which is why he starts celebrating in what July July fifth?
Speaker 7: Yeah, pretty much? Yeah, I mean this year. We definitely started in August for sure, but yeah, July fifth, always every year?
Speaker 1: Hey, and last night you went to mo Kelly's Boo preview.
Speaker 3: Pre boo preview.
Speaker 7: Yes, the soiree started last night and if you go up to the fifth floor, and if you were able to join us last night, thank you so much for coming out. We had an epic party last night. Wendy's came out and supported and fed, and Ed came out. Who if you've ever been to any of our events with the Apostathon and comes in supports us every year, and Wendy's came out and fed us. Oh, it was so much fun. Oh my gosh, we had such an amazing time.
Speaker 1: I think it's going to become an annual thing now because I heard it was a big, big hit.
Speaker 7: It was huge, and we had the entire celebration and it was wild. It was a full costume party. I can't even dress there's so many pictures I did dress up. In fact, I have a little bit of a round two of my costume from last night. We'll be showing up on social media this morning. If you go to Nick Polio Keini on Instagram, you can see a little preview of what it was, a little boo preview of what last night was. And then I've got round two which will be showing up this morning and throughout the day today.
Speaker 1: So fabulous. Okay, booth day boy, let's get some traffic. Let's check it out.
Speaker 7: It's going to be actually pretty quiet after last night and all the fun in festivities would be a boys in Blue. It's pretty much relatively quiet. But you will see a feudelais on the north cound side of the two fifteenth and Mariana Valley as you're making away from Eucalyptus, passing the murder of the sixty Tory UCR and the riverside, and it chained a little slow going for your first thing this morning. Also westbound side of the ninety one riverside, do grown a light patchy delas for you shown up from Tyler beyond the fifteen and seventy one over tore the two forty one toll road. We southern California. It's only airborn traffic reports. I'm Nick Paulokini.
Speaker 1: It's five oh eight on your wake up call. Let's take good morning now to ABC's Jim Ryan. Jim, I hear that your favorite Halloween costume was Count Spatula.
Speaker 6: Count Spatula.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is count Spatulo.
Speaker 6: Well, I cooked at a restaurant in high school. It was a Cocos rushaurant. I don't we don't have them here anymore, but I think you have some form of cocos restaurants in California.
Speaker 1: Yuess.
Speaker 6: So yeah, I cooked there, and so I got this idea, Count Spatuland I had a spatul in hand and a white dinner jacket and green face paint and yeah, thanky, pretty simple.
Speaker 1: I love that. Here's something that has become very simple, and that's betting on elections.
Speaker 6: It has All you have to do is go to the website a website. Robinhood has one now Robinhood the investor website, and there's one called Calshie which has proven very popular. And yeah, you can go on one of those sites and bet on the outcome of the election. What you're doing is actually purchasing a contract on a future event. So it's like buying a contract in the gold future market or oil futures. What you're betting on instead, though, is the outcome of next Tuesday's election. So yeah, it's the and it's all based on what the outcome is from what the White House says Okay, so they have to spell every single step out. So if you think, wait a minute, no, this was the election was stolen. Well, now, cal she goes by one site and that is the White House website.
Speaker 1: Okay, so you said that you're basically buying a contract, and so are you technically not betting? Is that how they get around the betting or are you technically betting?
Speaker 6: You're betting? Yeah, I think you're right, Potato patato, right, because, yeah, bert particularly contract is essentially the same as saying I think this person is going to win or that person is going to win. Interestingly enough, even if you want one of the candidates to win, you can still bet on the other one if you think that candidate is going to win. So is it an accurate reflection of how people are really feeling about the election, Maybe, at least in terms of how the betting community is feeling.
Speaker 1: Okay, and this is something new because it became legal. Yeah, when a federal judge made a ruling earlier this month, right.
Speaker 6: Right, an appeals court sided with this site called Calshi that it could go ahead and start taking bets on the presidential election. And so it opened up that avenue and suddenly people started dumping money into the market. Right now, one hundred and seventeen million dollars has been bet on the outcome of the presidential election. The Calshi app is at the top of the financial apps offered in the Apple app Store. It's above cash app, it's above PayPal, zell, all the rest of it's sitting there at the top.
Speaker 1: It just seems sort of wrong to me. Yeah, whatever, So you can bet on the presidential election. What other things? Can you bet on? Anything?
Speaker 6: Well, you can bet on how one or the other is going to do in the various states. You can bet on congressional races out there, you can bet on the Senate race here in Texas. You can bet on just about anything, anything political. And you know, obviously there have been prop bets on almost everything related to sports for years and years. This kind of is a way, I think, for for people to get up. But I think you're right. People have they feel a bit squeamish about it. This is supposed to be a serious thing deciding the future of the country, and I think folks feel a little squeamish about laying money on the.
Speaker 1: Outcome and can they do prop bets too, Like you know, at the super Bowl you can bet on what color the gatorade's going to be, like funky little things like that too. Or is it just the main races.
Speaker 6: What color tie or what color dress will the win or win at the we're at the inauguration, not that I've seen, but I wouldn't be a bit surprised, but what they.
Speaker 1: All right, we'll be watching for it, thank you. ABC's Jim Ryan. All Right, all right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. This Halloween, Donald Trump showed up for his latest campaign rally in Green Bay, Wisconsin, in a mega themed garbage truck. He said the garbage truck was in honor of Kamala and Joe Biden, and I have.
Speaker 2: To begin by saying, two hundred and fifty million Americans are not garbage.
Speaker 1: The former president's garbage truck was because of President Biden's comment that Trump's supporters were garbage. A judge in Philadelphia is going to hear arguments this morning on the city Prosecutor's efforts to stop Elon Musk from giving out a million dollars a day to random people in swing states who sign a petition supporting the first and second amendments. The prosecutors say the giveaways are illegal. Musk is supporting former President Trump. Elon Musk has been ordered to appear in court as well. A group supporting the attorney running against LA City council member Kevin dal Lyon is urging voters in the fourteenth district to unseat daily On to benefit downtown and Northeast LA neighborhoods. The Women's March Action Group gathered in Boyle Heights yesterday to criticized da Leon's campaign tactics, which it says are harassment of his challenger, Isabelle Herado. She's been criticized for saying the F word about police while talking to college students. Thirty eight dogs have been impounded as a result of a sweep operation by the Riverside County Department of Animal Services. Officials say twenty one officers and shelter support staff visited about forty properties yesterday in the eastern Coachella Valley. Many of the dogs small breeds and puppies. They've been taken to the Coachella Valley Animal Campus in Thousand Palms North, Korea says it has tested a new intercontinental ballistic missile. ABC's Anthony Trotter says it traveled for about ninety minutes before it dropped into the Sea of The.
Speaker 8: US reports it was an ICBM belief capable of reaching the US.
Speaker 4: South Korean intelligence says the North has likely completed prep for a seventh nuclear test.
Speaker 1: The White House is condemning the test, saying it is a flagrant violation of multiple UN Security Council resolutions. People in LA can snag some free food by swapping their sauce packets. South Korean Ramen brand Bulldock is putting on a sauce exchange at the original Farmers Market to plug its new hot sauce. Customers can bring any condiment packet between November seventh through the tenth and exchange it for sliders, chicken wings, cauliflower nuggets, and steak kebabs. All sound delicious. They can also exchange sauce packets for Bulldock hot sauces and Ramen cups. Oh, I have to go check that out. How better to celebrate a World Series win than with looting? Okay, I was being a little sarcastic. Thousands of fans celebrated around LA after the Dodgers clinched the World Series title last night with a seven to six win over the Yankees. A Nike store in downtown LA was looted. People were seen breaking into the store and taking boxes of merchandise from it in front of Dodger Stadium. Police declared an unlawful assembly after fans took over the intersection and set off fireworks and set fire to a city bus. One of the Yankees fans who tried to grab a ball out of Mookie Betts's glove in Game four says he probably crossed the line. He told the La Times he's just a passionate fan and wanted to prevent an out for the Yankees. He and another fan were ejected from the game, and the MLB banned them from attending last night's Game five. Something stinks at the beach. Scientists say the stench that has had coastal residents holding their noses for about a week comes from an algae bloom that also created the glowing blue bioluminescence along the coast. As the bloom dies off, bacteria feeds on it that lowers oxygen levels and kills off fish smells like rotten eggs. Apparently, so it is Halloween. And as it turns out, Halloween is actually good for you because it scares the pants off of you. Let's say good morning to the professor of psychology at Penn State University, Sarah Collapse. You say, Sarah, that we love to be scared, and there's a psychological reason behind it.
Speaker 3: Yes, and it's look that everybody loves to be scared. But our attraction to these kinds of controlled fear experiences like haunted houses and scary movies does have some deep evolutionary roots and some deep adapted benefits. So one of the biggest ones is that we as human beings and a lot of other animals, have a fight or flight response when we experience fear or threat. And what we do is we have this surge of endorphins and adrenaline and we get really energized when we feel ourselves experiencing fear or danger, and in control fear experiences, we have this benefit of getting that kind of surgeus energy without any of the actual risk. And then once we come out of the haunted house or the scary movie ends, or the jump scar is over, we have a flood of dopamine, this kind of pleasure hormone in our brain that makes us experience relief. So there's this whole cycle of physiological responses that can be really attractive to us and can make us enjoy fearful experiences when we know we're actually safe.
Speaker 1: Okay, So then my question, Sarah, is why do we have these physical reactions to this? Like you said, we get adrenaline and we get endorphins and then we get dopamine, and boy don't we feel good? But why does our body do that to us?
Speaker 3: Well, again, it goes back to evolution and our need to survive and thrive as a species. When we perceive danger or threat, fight or flight is triggered, and it's going to be adaptive to us. Is going to give us energy in order to defend ourselves against a threat, or the energy we need in order to flee to leave that threat behind. So over our evolutionary past, humans who had this type of response were selected for because we were more likely to survive in a dangerous world.
Speaker 1: Okay, And then do these fake scares prepare us for real scares?
Speaker 3: That's what the research suggests. There's some really interesting work coming out of the Fear Lab in the Netherlands, and they were looking at individuals who were really regular fans of horror entertainment or fearful entertainment and how they reacted to the COVID nineteen pandemic. And what they found is that individuals who consumed more of this kind of scary media were actually psychologically more resilient in response to the pandemic than individuals who weren't engaging in that type of entertainment. And the thought is that we're training ourselves by consuming controlled fear experiences to know how to cope when we're scared or when we're in danger. And so when real fear presents itself, a real danger presents itself with better able to cope with that in an effective way.
Speaker 1: So producer Anne is much more well adjusted than I am because she loves this stuff. Here's another thing. When we went to Dark Harbor, Sarah, we were talking to one of the people who puts together the mazes, and I asked her why why do we do this to ourselves? Why do we love this? And she said, basically kind of along the same lines of what you're saying, is that people get a rush from it, and she said it actually kind of like you go out with your friends and you share this experience and it kind of brings you closer together.
Speaker 3: Absolutely. That's the other evolutionary I guess foundation is what's referred to as tend and befriend. We feel threatened, especially when we feel threatened in the presence of people we care about and we feel they're threatened too. We have this again physiological trigger. It's related to oxytocin the kind of bonding hormone that we have in our body, and we're more likely than to want to care for the people that are under threat in this dangerous situation because we care about them already. And so when we go through a haunted house with our friends, we come out of it feeling more bonded together. And we also see this in real dangerous experiences. You know, I'm a volunteer firefighter, and so when we go through a serious call together myself and my colleagues, you do feel this sense of bonding afterwards. And that's true in a lot of dangerous circumstances.
Speaker 1: Okay, so Sarah, then what does it say about producer an that she kept pushing me in front of her as we went through the maze.
Speaker 3: Okay, let's psychoanalyzed producer An. Let's see. I would say that maybe she was thinking, Okay, you need to have some feared experience, so that way you're going to be more engaged with this training opportunity. Also, maybe she was just trying to get a rise out of you, So either option.
Speaker 1: All right, Well that's so.
Speaker 2: I know.
Speaker 1: It's a multi billion dollar business and ELA's a great place to be. We've got not Scary Farm and the Queen Mary's Dark Harbor and Haunted hay Ride and so many other places to go and really get scared, and now's the perfect time a year to do it.
Speaker 3: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: All right, Sarah, thank you so much for your time. This was really interesting.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 1: All Right, take care, and I will tell you that Anne totally did. We went through the one of the mazes at Dark Harbor, and Anne, she kept hiding behind me and grabbing onto me and pushing me in front of her. And now she's giving me funny looks. You know you did it. We're talking about when you pushed me in front of you going through the mazes at Dark Harbor, which you know that I'm the one who doesn't like them, and she's like, oh, I love these mazes, and that she kept hiding behind me. All right, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom. San Francisco has started paying people on welfare of bonus if they stay sober and stay off drugs. The program is going to pay recipients up to one hundred dollars each week. The program is called Cash Not Drugs and aims to address the city's ongoing drug crisis, which has killed more than five hundred people this year. The payments will be paid through gift cards, not cash. Federal authorities say an LA Fashion District clothing wholesaler and two of its executives are going to be sentenced in January for ducky more than eight million dollars in customs duties and using a cross border money laundering system to clear seventeen million dollars in drug money. A federal jury in La has found the three guilty of dozens of felonies. The wholesaler imported clothes from China and other countries and then exported clothing to customers in Mexico Central America and South America. The Orange County DA says the mayor of Bancho Santa Margarita can't take office even if she gets re elected.
Speaker 9: Council Woman Carol Gamble is the second city council candidate in Orange County to recently plead guilty the line that they witness the required signatures to be eligible for office.
Speaker 1: That's a critical part of our democratic process and the voters have a right to know she was not qualified for the ballot.
Speaker 9: Orange Canadia spokeswoman Kimberly Ed says in court on Friday, Gamble will agree to probation, community service, and any restitution should the city be forced to hold a special election. Fullerton City council candidate Scott Markowitz also pleaded guilty to falsifying documents and cannot take office if he wins in Orange County. Corbin Carson kf I News.
Speaker 1: Nearly three point four million ballots have been cast in North Carolina as people recover from Hurricane Helene. When it comes to in person voting next Tuesday, the State Board of Elections Executive Director Karen Brinson Bell says voters will cast their ballots in temporary tents so many faced hardship, but we will not. They will not have a hardship. When it comes to voting.
Speaker 10: They will be a to exercise their right to their.
Speaker 1: Eighty Early voting sites have been set up across the county's hit hardest by Helene. When we come back, did you know that jack o lanterns used to be carved out of turnips, potatoes and beats. They had to be little, tiny faces. We've got that and some more fun facts for Halloween coming up for you next. Southland weather from KFI. Clouds this morning, then sunny hides in the upper sixties to mid seventies, just fifties and sixties for the Anelope Valley. Clear skies for trick or treating Tonight, Low clouds clearing the sunny skies tomorrow with highs in the sixties and seventies. Got a chance of showers Saturday into Sunday. It's fifty one in Los Alamados and fifty three in Seal Beach. And we have a special Happy Birthday Halloween song for our traffic guru, Nick Poliochini. The suspense is killing us. Here we go.
Speaker 2: Listen age contraps so strange send.
Speaker 1: Here's snack.
Speaker 4: Is King of the Trap.
Speaker 7: Watch everyone the Trap King.
Speaker 1: Trafficks everyone listens, drop pick so very appropriate for our birthday, boy heavy birthday Nick is epic.
Speaker 7: That is the best. You cannot find a trick or a treat in the Southland better than that. And I have a good idea who deep in the Inland Empire, maybe not to bark Barents and Cuogamonga might be it behind that?
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's their buddy, Eric Lisardo. Oh thanks for doing this, lute so cool. All right, back to business. I'm all excited about Halloween. I'm like, oh wait, but we still have to get you all the news. How better to celebrate a World series than with a little bit of looting? Yeah, there was some last night. Fans took to the streets to celebrate the Dodgers Game five, seven to six winning the World Series. They took the series four games to one. Things did get out of control. An unlawful assembly was declared in Echo Park. A city bus was burned, a Nike store was looted, there was graffiti spray painted on some storefronts, and some arrests were made. The Menandez brothers lawyer will ask for clemency for his clients from Governor Newsom at Like County DA George Gascon says he supports it. The brothers who've been in prison since they were convicted of murder murdering their parents thirty five years ago say they killed the parents after years of second ual abuse by their father. Newsom has been known to grant clemency requests around Thanksgiving. The governor has issued an executive order to try to get the California Public Utilities Commission to lower electric bills, or at least keep them from rising so fast. California has the second highest electricity rates in the country. Residential bills have gone up by as much as one hundred and ten percent in the last decade, at five point fifty. The Supreme Court has weighed in on Virginia's efforts to keep non citizens from voting. ABC Stephen Portnoy's going to tell us how that's all going to work in the state. It is Halloween, and it is nic Polliochini's birthday. We have some fun facts that we wanted to share. I saw it on some on TV the other day and I was like, Oh, I didn't know about that. I didn't know about that. So Anne and I did a little digging. Here's something looks like the The kids in hocus Pocus too had the right idea. They got some salt and they created a ring around the Sanderson sisters to basically stop them and to trap them. And apparently that is a good thing. Some say that salt acts as a protective shield against evil spirits and malevolent entities, and it is a practice that has dated back to ancient times. So if you're worried about the ghosts and goblins, not the ones dressed up for trigger treating, maybe just sprinkle a little salt. Okay, I got one for you. Jason Vorhees from Friday the thirteenth really did end up in the bottom of the lake. So remember he was the villainous serial killer from Friday the thirteenth. He remains at the bottom of a Minnesota lake in the form of a statue. A diver named Doug Kleine constructed a Jason for his statue with a mask and everything creepy. It's all made of plywood, bubble wrap, and foam and he put it one hundred and twenty feet down in a water filled mine pit known as Louise near Crosby Minnesota and only the most advanced divers can get down to it. But wouldn't that be freaky if you go diving? Oh my god, Jason box outage, it would be awful. Yeah. Okay, so Annie Witch, you got Mine's not as well. Mine's kind of depressing. Oh okay, okay.
Speaker 11: On average, kids will bring home eleven thousand calories worth of candy when trigger treating.
Speaker 1: What the heck you know? I mentioned that earlier and carlar edited, well, no, it's fine. It was just it was a tease for this, and Carla the editor said, I must be like an outlier because I would make my candy last for like a year, and I'm like, no, I would eat it a year. I don't know how she did. That's a that's a lot of self control. We did have to. Did your parents do this? They like, they basically rationed it for you. After my dad stole all the butter fingers, they'd ration it and they go, okay, two pieces today, three pieces today. So it lasted like a week a little bit, but they went through.
Speaker 11: They would dump our whole bag out and then go piece by piece. Anything that wasn't sealed, anything was like twisted clothes was tossed.
Speaker 1: And they took like they feel like, half the stuff away. They were just looking out for your safety, Ima blades And yeah, yeah, I mentioned my dad in the butterfingers because my parents did the same thing. We dumped the whole the bag of candy out or the bucket of candy out, and they'd go through it to make sure it was safe. And then Dad would go, oh, that one looks a little sketchy. Right, he took all of my butter fingers every no, no, every year. Okay, here's another one. Do you do what Bill Handle does and turn out all the lights and not answer your door? On how Halloween? Yugov poll found that about twenty one percent of Americans keep the porch lights off and pretend not to be home when the trigger treaders coming knock in. I hate that, stop it all right? Right, what else you got?
Speaker 11: Let's see I got Okay, So everybody's seen the movie Halloween, right, yes, Sun Carpenter's nineteen seventy eight horror film.
Speaker 1: It was only film. It only took twenty one days to film it. Wow, that's it and all that's scaring in just and how many years later?
Speaker 11: Right?
Speaker 1: We're still still holds up. Okay Oh, speaking of Halloween movies, so hocus Pocus, which I just watched both of them over the weekend. Originally, Disney had a whole different idea for that, and it wasn't the kind of fun creepy. It was originally going to be called Disney's Halloween House, and it was very dark and very scary, and Leonardo DiCaprio was approached to play Max Dennison, but he turned it down and it took a role in What's Eating Gilbert Grape instead. Probably a wise choice because didn't they get nominated for an Academy Award for the yep? Okay, oh, here's one trick or treat. Apparently that's not what kids originally said. Instead they said bell snickel What does that mean? This is according to the Library of Congress. Historians say that the modern call originated from bell snickeling, which is a German American Christmas tradition where kids dressed up in costumes went around to their neighbors to see if they could guess the identity of those dressed up and if the adults couldn't accually accurately guess who the kid was Then the child got a treat.
Speaker 11: Bell snickel, bellsneagle and the other one here that if you're going to have to go to the bank today, and I don't know how many people actually go in the bank anymore, but don't wear your costume to.
Speaker 1: The bank today.
Speaker 11: If you have a mask, many banks will not allow you in wearing a mask.
Speaker 1: Isn't that funny? After four years of being told we needed to mask up, it's probably a good thing not to be able to wear masks and banks. Do you know where the jack o' lantern came from?
Speaker 11: No?
Speaker 1: Okay, it from the Irish. So there's a story that goes an Irish man named Stingy Jack tricked the devil and so he wasn't allowed into heaven or hell, so he spent his days roaming the earth carrying a lantern, hence the name Jack of the Lantern. Wow, okay, yeah, I like that, Okay, and I like this too. Also from Ireland. Jack o lanterns originated from there, and they didn't have pumpkins in Ireland and so they used to carve turnips, potatoes, and beets. I like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Finding a spider on Halloween night is considered good luck.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'd rather not, but okay, you like spiders, well, I do, but I don't like them when they come like crawling out at me. I like it when I'm prepared for him. Like, do you want good luck? Yeah? Okay. Remember when we went to the spider Pavilion too, I do, and I got to hold a tarantula that was very cool. Candy corn the stuff that I love to hate. Do you like it? I do? You do? I see? I don't like it, but then I just keep eating it. It's a weird thing, which is so I didn't buy any this year. But candy corn was originally called chicken feed. They changed the name apparently that wasn't a good selling point.
Speaker 11: Some traditions state that walking backwards with inside out clothes will let you see a witch on Halloween.
Speaker 1: Okay, it's true again. I'm gonna be wearing my clothes right side out and hoping that I don't run in Danny Spiders. Most popular costumes. Barbie was one of the most popular costumes last year, of course, but princesses and superheroes are top trenders for this year, which is fairies, dinosaurs always hot, and I just saw that the top costume this year is expected to be Beetlejuice because of Beetlejuice. Beetlejuice, just some fun Halloween facts? Are you fun? Fun? Fun? And if you don't be careful, we're gonna give you more. But right now, let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour newsroom.
Speaker 5: They've done it, They've finished the job, and give Los Angeles the parade it's been waiting for.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers won their second World Series championship in five season. They were down at the start of the game, but we're able to bat their way back to beat the Yankees by one on The score was seven to six, and they take the series four games to one. Walker Buehler pitched a perfect ninth for his first major league save. Yeah, he's a starting pitcher and ended up closing out the game. It's the second championship for infielder Max Munsey. This is way better than twenty twenty. This is wow.
Speaker 3: This is incredible.
Speaker 1: So it's really hard to put in the words. You know, wow, how incredible was this? He referenced twenty twenty when the Dodgers won, But because of COVID, there was no parade. There will be a parade this year. It's happening tomorrow. Freddy Freeman hit a two run single to tie the series record of twelve RBIs set by Bobby Richardson over seven games back in nineteen sixty and of course Freddy, who hit home runs in the other games all of them, was voted Series MVP. The championship parade again set for tomorrow in downtown LA. The Dodgers may have won in New York, but fans in La took to the streets to celebrate. People were setting off fireworks when the game ended. They took over intersections waving Dodger flags, but then things went a little south. Some were also seen breaking windows and looting a Nike store near Broadway. In sixth In downtown, people were throwing bottles, rocks, and other stuff at police near Olympic Boulevard and Grand Avenue, and a metro bus was tagged and then set on fire in Echo Park. The LAPD was on tactical alert as dispersal orders were issued across the city. Rinaldo Beach has become the first city in the South Bay to have the same rate of homeless people being housed as people becoming homeless.
Speaker 8: The city is crediting a specialized outdoor Homeless court with reaching what it calls functionals zero street homelessness. The court provides homeless people facing charges with services and housing on site. Quality of Light Prosecutor Joey Ford says since twenty twenty, nearly one hundred and seventy people have been through the system with a less than one percent recidivism rate.
Speaker 3: We've had someone who had almost twenty possession of methamphetamine cases and for five years she has been sober.
Speaker 8: For the first half of this year, sixty six people were moved into housing, while sixty five became homeless. Blake Trolly kf I.
Speaker 1: News the number of people infected from the McDonald's quarter pounder E. Coli outbreak has risen to ninety across thirty thirteen states. Two more of the people infected have developed a condition that can lead to kidney failure. Colorado has the highest number of infections. Twenty nine people have become sick. McDonald says the outbreak has been contained, so then Californians, we'll soon have a new way to see the Port of Los Angeles the uss IOWA, the Vincent Thomas Bridge, and passing cruise ships. A large observation wheel is going to be part of a new amusement park in San Pedro. The dining, shopping and entertainment complex is set to open in phases starting next year. Okay, let's say good morning now to ABC's Stephen port Noy. Stephen, Happy Halloween, and let's dive right in, because the Supreme Court made a decision yesterday that could affect Virginia's election outcome.
Speaker 10: This is the ruling of the High Court yesterday in a pretty narrow circumstance, but it involves more than a thousand people. Look, the Virginia governor signed an order in early August that said that people who were not citizens of the United States should.
Speaker 1: Be scrubbed off the voter rolls.
Speaker 10: Obviously, it's illegal for non citizens to register to vote, certainly to vote, but because of the easy way for people to register to vote at the DMV right under the voter vot voter law.
Speaker 1: Whatever, Yeah, we've got that in California, right.
Speaker 10: The idea is that somehow it may have slipped through where these people who were not eligible may have wound up on the voter rolls, and the governor says it's the right thing.
Speaker 3: To do to check.
Speaker 10: Well, the sixteen hundred people are so been swept up in this according to activists, some of them are citizens, and exact numbers not known. But the concern was that this was systematic, and the federal law says that there shouldn't be any kind of systematic removal of voters from the voter roles within ninety days of an election. That that's the quiet period according to federal law. Congress made this decision. Well, the Supreme Court yesterday upheld the ability of Virginia to move forward with its plan, which has been in the court since early August when Governor Younkin signed this order. And the concern is that this may erode the civil rights or voting rights of Americans who have the legal right to vote. Exactly how many, it's a perfectly good question. I don't have the answer to that. I'm not sure the record is clear on that. According to the state, six hundred of these people ticked the box that said that they were not citizens. It's possible in that population you had people who when they applied for their driver's licenses were not citizens but then later became citizens. Now you also have the possibility that you have one thousand additional people who ticked the box that that they were citizens, but also said that they had Green card numbers that they put on the form, which indicates they might not be citizens. And so this is where this gets really confusing, and it's why the district court judge said, hold up, Virginia, you're putting people's rights in jeopardy. Potentially, you should not move forward and let these people stay on the roles, because it's a greater harm to not allow them to vote than to remove suspected non citizens. The Supreme Court yesterday, without explaining its rationale, reverse that and so that Governor Youngkin can move forward with his plan. It seems to be a sixty three ruling. The three liberal justices said that they would have allowed the lower court ruling to stand.
Speaker 1: Okay, so here's a question for you. Do the people who are going to be removed from the voter registrations, are they going to be told that they're being removed or are they just being taken off the roles.
Speaker 10: Well, according to the state, when it was going through this process, it sent letters in the mail to those individuals who were potentially affected by they're suspective of not being citizens, and they were given i think it was fourteen days to demonstrate that they are citizens and then they could be restored to the roles or not be removed. That's one mitigating circumstance that the state offered to the court. The concern was, well, some people may have missed the letter, and who knows what could happen. So the bottom line is the state is going to be able to move forward with this, and it's something that Republicans wanted to see and activists are concerned that it could lead to It could be a harbinger of worse things to come, where not necessarily in this election, but perhaps in future elections. State feel that they have the right to go in in the last days before an election and just strip full of their rights to vote, and then they might show up at the polling place and all these horrible things could happen. We'll see what will happen from this. But the point is that the Supreme Court yesterday on a sixty three basis the conservatives versus the liberals, said that Virginia's governor can move forward with his plan.
Speaker 1: Okay, and if you look at polls, it probably really wouldn't affect the outcome of this particular election anyway, because Virginia is pretty much seen as a blue state.
Speaker 10: It's been twenty years since Virginia last voted for a Republican president. But it's a blue state with a purple tint. I mean, you know, it's got a Republican governor, and state legislative races have been decided in the last few cycles in very narrow margins in terms of control of the House of Delegates in Richmond. So the point is every vote counts, and you know, in this case, the question is whether people who are not American citizens had been registered to vote and whether they in fact are not citizens. It's part of the difficulty here is you have these federal databases of people who apply for citizenship and you have state databases of people who register to vote. And there was an effort by the state to kind of sort of compare the two, but it's not perfect, and sometimes people who know they have the right to vote can fall through the cracks.
Speaker 1: Well, hopefully they'll figure it out and it will lead to a more perfect nation. Let's hope all right, Steven Portinoy, thanks so much for the info. You bet Okay, here's another fun fact for Halloween. Did you know that there's actual significance of orange and black for Halloween? The Library of Congress says that the colors black and orange go back to the Celtic festival of sam Hayne, which is a Gaelic festival marking the end of the harvest season and the beginning of winter, or the darker half of the year. So the black represents the death of summer and the orange represents the life of the fall harvest. Who knew. Let's get back to some of the stories coming out of the KFI twenty four hour news room. The National Weather Services, a storm system coming out of the Pacific Northwest is expected to slide into southern California this weekend and will likely bring some rain. The Weather Services the trough of low pressure and the cold front tied to it should get here by Samaday afternoon, and then the rain should start by the evening. Forecasters say the rain will linger into Sunday afternoon before it clears out to the east. California Attorney General Rob Bonta and Governor Newsom say they are pleased. The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals has backed the District Court's dismissal of a lawsuit filed by the City of Huntington Beach that challenged the constitutionality of state housing laws. Bonta said the city had wasted the public's time and money with its meritless suit. Newsom says Huntington Beach tried to advance unlawful NIMBI policies. City attorney Michael Gates says he'll ask for a ruling of the Circuit judges, which could overturn it. LA has decided to strengthen its Tenant Anti Harassment Ordinance to protect renters.
Speaker 4: The update adds a minimum fine of two thousand dollars per violation and seeks to involve more private litigation when things get ugly between tenants and landlords. David Guyshan of the LA Apartment Association says the up d will be difficult for property owners.
Speaker 8: Small owners will no longer be able to take the risk of even talking to their renters to work out amicable resolutions when rent is slightly late or disagreements occur between two or more renters.
Speaker 4: Supporters have said the update is needed because the old version did not flag enough violations or have sharp enough teeth in downtown La Michael Monks k if I News.
Speaker 1: A Catholic hospital in Eureka, California, has agreed to provide emergency abortions following a lawsuit by the state. The lawsuit alleges Providence Saint Joseph Hospital, again up in Eureka, denied a woman emergency care after her water broke when she was just fifteen weeks pregnant. The suit claims the woman was given a bucket and towels and told to drive to a smaller hospital twelve miles away while she was hemorrhaging. President Biden plans to attend the next presidential inauguration no matter the outcome of the election. White House Press Secretary Karin Jean Pierre said the President believes in the peaceful transfer of power and will be there. Former President Trump did not attend Biden's inauguration in twenty twenty one. Dave Roberts can hardly watch. Here's the one two pitch from Buehler.
Speaker 5: Got I'm swinging.
Speaker 1: That's it.
Speaker 5: That's a World Series win for LA. They've done it, They've finished the job and give Los Angeles the parade. It's been waiting for.
Speaker 1: That parade happening tomorrow. The Dodgers are world champions. The Boys in Blue beat the Yankees seventy six in Game five to clinch the title for the eighth time, and the celebration is just getting started. You can join us tomorrow morning starting in nine thirty for coverage of the championship celebration on AM five to seventy LA Sports and n HD on the iHeartRadio app. Keyword AM five to seventy LA Sports presented by Yamava. This is KFI and kost HD two Los Angeles, Orange County Southland Weather from KFI morning clouds and sunny with hies in the sixties at the beach near seventy for Metro LA and Inlan Orange County. Upper sixties to mid seventies in the valleys and Inland Empire. Fifties and sixties in the Antelope Valley. Clear skies and cool for trigger treating tonight than low clouds Tomorrow morning. Hi's in the upper sixties to mid seventies, clear and out for the afternoon. We'll have a chance of rain tomorrow into Sunday. It's fifty one in Orange, fifty four in Manhattan Beach, fifty one in Soiritos, fifty three in Garden Grove. We lead local live from the KFI twenty four hour newsroom for producer Ann and technical producer Kno and birthday boy Nick Pouliochini. I'm Amy King. This has been your wake up call, and if you missed any wake up call, you can listen anytime on the iHeartRadio app. You've been listening to wake Up Call with me, Amy King. You can always hear wake Up Call five to six am Monday through Friday on KFI Am six forty and anytime on demand on the iHeartRadio app.