Speaker 1: Welcome to Men, Sex and Tantra.
Speaker 2: Discover where your parents, porn and religion never taught you about being a man and having extraordinary sex. Get ready to have your mind blown and your world rocked. Hey, everybody, we are back. There is I think a lag between the last one of this, but I have a super interesting and he noticed I say that all the time because I do not pick boring guests. So we should know that right now. Not only do I not pick boring guests, but I say this every time for some reason, every man I interview on this program is handsome and interesting. So handsome and interesting. Yes, just another one back with you. His name is Oliver Starr. And this conversation, this series of the four we're going to do heads up, get real, because you guys are right now are being inundated and probably listening to a bunch of bullshit podcasts that are trying to tell you how to be a man. Man up, be the alpha, get at the dominance. All of this shit that you're listening to and filling your brains with if you don't have confidence, is steering you in the wrong way. In fact, I spent three years in the seduction community for men being a coach for the seduction communities of some of the most famous people you've heard, And I want to tell you that most of the time, yeah, all of them later when they couldn't actually have a relationship. Yeah, they could get laid, but they didn't know how to have a relationship. Guess what. Guess who their coach was. So I'm just here to say that you may not want to believe everything you hear, but without further ado, I'm going to let Oliver tell you a little bit about himself, what he's about, and then we're going to jump into our topic today, which is all about I'll fah take it away, Oliver.
Speaker 1: Hey, Tanya, thank you so much for inviting me. It's really a pleasure to be here. So, as Tanya said, my name is Oliver Starr. I am the executive director of the Tahoe Wolf Center. I've been an entrepreneur, a professional athlete, but the most important thing I've ever done is my work with wolves. I've spent the last forty years of my life living, working with, in studying wolves, and a lot of what I'll be talking about today is inspired by those observations.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, because wow, wolves alpha badass, right, dominant leaders. This is what we think, you know, and we think, yeah, so you're here to shed some light, So why don't we define Like you give me your definition of alpha, I'll jump in with a little bit. Let's define the word alpha both from the mainstream perspective and then let's call the ignorance out in it too. So how do you, when you're out in the world, like the word alpha? What does it mean to you? How do you define it in relationship?
Speaker 1: So you might find it funny for a guy that works with wolves, but I actually really don't even like the word alpha. It's caused a lot of problems for you know, community society and also for wolves. I mean, technically, for us, the term alpha simply refers to either the male or female in the breeding pair of a wolf pack, which are always families. But to me, there's a larger meaning in the term, which is really leader, steward, caretaker, altruistic being of either sex who is focused on the well being of the community they serve.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and that's not what some of these guys on these podcasts are talking about. I mean, you know, when we think alpha, we think badass, dominant, kick, your ass. You know, this kind of idea of macho, take no prisoners. You know, everybody when you walk into a room, everybody looks at you because you like you dominate the room, energetic, whatever, and that there's so many men that believe alpha equates confidence and that alpha equates desirability, and that alpha quits whatever it is. They think the inn cells. You know, we got to and I know you're familiar with what an in cel is, but if people aren't an in cellar, these guys who believe that basically, you know, life or women have screwed them out of their rightful sex ability to have sex. And so they see that because they don't feel like alpha's that women don't want them. I think it's mainly because you know, they're victims that women don't want them. But okay, that's just my thought. So to me, alpha, I agree with you. Alpha is not a something that these guys that are telling you how to be in alpha really know anything about. So tell us more, Oliver, tell us about alpha in the woods, Alpha in the wild, or I mean, you're you're a badass guy. So first of all, you're a badass guy. You know, like you're rolling around with wolves. You were in a camo, You're doing all this stuff. You are a man's man, no doubt about that. So tell us more.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm I'm a pretty pretty slight guy. I'm about six feet tall, pretty slight. But yeah, my family was in the ranching business. I live in the mountains. I've lived off the grid. In addition of my work with wolves, I work with an organization that gets bears out from under people's houses. So there are very few people alive that have spent more time in close proximity to mama bears with cubs.
Speaker 3: Not to be fair, black bears, grizzly bears will kill you.
Speaker 1: You don't go into a house with a grizzly bear because you come out the other end of the grizzly bear.
Speaker 3: That's right.
Speaker 1: But yeah, so you know, I don't think people would find me to be a snowflake. But let's let's talk about alpha and where this came from. And you like popping balloons. I like popping balloons, So let's pop a few balloons.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So the whole concept of alpha as it has kind of been popularized, comes from bad wolf research, and essentially, they took a bunch of unrelated wolves, and they put them into captivity together and they watched what they did, and from those observations, which originally took place in Germany and then subsequently were followed up by arguably the world's most famous wolf biologist, a man by the name of El David Meach at the Brookfield Zoo in Chicago, and what they observed was that unrelated wolves put in captivity form a pecking order that is largely driven by violence, aggression, domination. And from that they came up with this whole concept of alpha beta omega that was popularized in a book called The Wolf, which went on to be a best seller by David Meach. But the problem is that what they were observing was basically prison yard politics, not wolf biology. And David Meach went on to do a lot of field work, including in the High Arctic at Isle roy Aalen, Michigan, and what he found out.
Speaker 3: Was that he was totally wrong.
Speaker 1: That wolves are remarkably collegial, that the dominant animal, the ones that we refer to as alpha, are simply the breeding pair and they're the parents. And he was so distressed by his mistake and the consequences it had that he actually tried to get his best selling book pulled off the shelves. And if you don't believe me, you can go to Google and just type in Alpha Wolf wrong and you'll see David Meach basically saying I was wrong. We made a mistake, which is pretty interesting for consider the world's most most famous both biologies, and he's tried throughout the rest of his career to correct the mistake. The problem is that it caught fire socially and sociologically, and there's money to be made in convincing people that they need to be badass by acting tough.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it's interesting how our societal constructs can come out of something, as you know, like a book that catches and then it goes and then everybody grabs it and runs with it, and it doesn't really matter if it's wrong or it's right. I used to teach men and women how to do kegels, and you know, keegels were the gold standard of how to like not only improve your orgasm, but you know, incontinence whatever else, blah blah blah. And then I found out from a biomechanical engineer who specialized in pelvis that we're doing the wrong thing. Tightening and tightening and tightening is actually making things worse, not better, because we do the most kegels in the world, and we have the most incontinence and other issues in the world, and people that are having five babies out in the wild or whatever places in the world have none of that. It's like, what's the deal? So I had to like go back and literally everything I'd ever written, send emails, whatever I was wrong, stop doing that. You know, we're doing this now, so and it's very hard trend to break. So okay, So we think of alpha's as dominant as uh you said for strength or thinking that you said something because I'm I'm part of your coach. You got just accepted to it being a tech speaker in one of the events I'm running, and we talked a little bit about that. Tell me you had those forwards dominance versus strength? What what was that? What was that? You said?
Speaker 3: We captured it for sure.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because we think of.
Speaker 1: The dominant equal strength, yes, right, that that aggression equals courage, right, and that that and that empathy equals.
Speaker 2: Weakness exactly, So say those again, please.
Speaker 1: So that dominant equal strength, that aggression equals courage, and that empathy equals weakness.
Speaker 2: Right, and so we see that and that's the light that gets cast on this whole idea about alpha as well. Fortunately, Yeah, the man makes the decision and he runs the show and he handles that stuff. And I had a conversation with a man who was totally into that alpha. You know, you can't learn. He went as far as a men can't learn from women. I was wondering what his mother taught him. But you know, the say, it's like, men don't learn from women, We're not supposed to learn from women. You're shaking your head. Your audience can't see that. But if you saw the look on his face right now, he's looking down just he looks incredulous. So your thoughts on how do so why do you think men are drawn specifically to this idea of alpha.
Speaker 1: I think it's because the people that are legitimate, like the people that I look at as alpha's right, the people that act alpha for real in the in the biological sense, aren't showy, and so you don't have the same obvious role models. I mean, it's way it's way more fun and easier to say Jack Reacher is a role model, you know. I mean, but first of all, that's a fictitious character, and secondly, that's not an effective leader. I mean, if you look at organizations and even wolf packs that stand the test of time, their leadership is service driven, not not dominance in fear driven. You want people to follow you and respect you because they want to, not because you made that right.
Speaker 2: And so when we think of wolves, we think of scary. A lot of people think of scary, think of fears, think of you know, they're going to take you out and take you down. And so that's the alpha that we're trying to recreate. You know, standing there and I'm just like imposing, you know, I got my hands on my hips there and I'm imposing and I'm scary and whatever. And you see the arms crossed across across the chest, you know, immobile in moment, right, yeah, yeah right, immovable, immobile, that kind of thing, solid spartans, Yeah right. So you know, how is this how do you think this is hurting relationships? And more and morely, how is this hurting men?
Speaker 1: Well, I mean I think that women see through a lot of that bravado. I mean, certainly there's there's women who find these hyper you know, hyper exaggerated masculine men appealing maybe on the surface, but I doubt if they really enjoy being in long term relationships with those people, if they act the same way at home as they do in the bar. I you know, I look, we're still a biological creature, and biological success is defined largely by how far our genes spread into society going forward. And so if you look at what women I think would find appealing is a partner that can help them successfully raise many generations of offspring.
Speaker 3: Right, And.
Speaker 1: You know, men they aren't aren't kind, aren't stewards, aren't going to take good care of the kids. They're not going to be evolutionarily successful. I mean, and wolves it's the same thing, right, I mean, wolves are very collaborative.
Speaker 3: They call them social predators.
Speaker 1: And that means that unlike bears or big cats, they have to work together to kill things they're much much smaller than their prey. They're collaborative hunters. They are collaborative in raising the pups. The whole pack works together to raise the pups. There are siblings from prior years that are babysitters. They all work to bring food to the nursing mother. If there's more than one breeding female in a pack, they work even harder to support all of them. Once those pups are big enough to start eating solid food, all of the wolves provision them first by carrying meat and their stomach and regurgitating it for the pups. That's where the face looking behavior comes from, by the way, is when your dog is trying to lick your face. That is a very puppy like behavior, and they're basically saying, feed me, throw up, throw up for me, throw up for me, and then that and then that becomes a social bonding characteristic that carries over into mature animals, which is why you know, if you ever see any of my by the way, I'm all over the wolf guy on YouTube, on TikTok whatever. You see my videos, and there's a lot of videos of me just getting mulled and they're climbing up to me to get to my face because in many respects, i'm that I am that figure, i am that breeding male in my wolf family group because I'm the one that has provisioned these animals their whole life from when they were tiny puppies on a bottle, and so yeah, I you know, I think that that that ability to caretake and be a steward of a family or a steward of a team is you know, for me, that's what a real lialf is. And I actually think that a lot of women see that. I mean, time is very kind and saying I'm handsome. I guess my wife would probably agree. I'm not sure that they work at large. Right, I'm a bit grizzled and g uh. I think the last time you saw me, I still had my winter haircut.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, I get one.
Speaker 1: I get one one shaven, one haircut a year in the spring, and then I let it go and so I'm a little bit more tidy today.
Speaker 2: He's also looking a little let me tell you that he looks a little bit like blushy and a little bit like he's like a handsome, so you know, he's not sitting there with his hands. I was like, yeah, I'm a handsome, check me out.
Speaker 3: You know what's funny is it's weird. It's on TikTok.
Speaker 1: I get a ton of a ton of comments that I look like and I don't even know. I don't watch the show, so I don't really know who it is. But my wife agrees that I look like Megan from Walking.
Speaker 2: Oh you actually you know what you actually do? You actually do? Yes, there is this There is a little bit of similarity there for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So now you guys kind of get to get a hind of what I look like.
Speaker 2: They're gonna go check out your wolf videos anyway, for sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: The wolf videos are fun. Some of them are quite viral because everybody and everybody, you know. The funny thing is how many people want to see them attack me. It's amazing how many comments I get of or the two most common comments I get on the most viral videos are you're not alpha, which is to me, or or hoping that one of them is going to try to eat me.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's funny.
Speaker 2: That is interesting in our society here, that right, Yeah, because you're not like because you're not walking over to the wolf knocking it down and standing on its stomach and like, you know.
Speaker 1: And what's really sad about this alpha thing is that it's had horrible consequences for dogs. It's had just terrible dog training repercussions. I also am the author of the Wolf Lover's Guide You're Raising Dogs, which actually last week at number one on Amazon in a couple categories.
Speaker 3: And it's not a dog training book.
Speaker 1: It's just about basically being nice to your dog, you know, I mean just being nice and I mean, you know what, in a lot of ways, I think that it's so easy to summarize what being a good alpha is. Just be nice, be nice?
Speaker 2: Wait what the nice guys finish?
Speaker 3: Last?
Speaker 2: What are you using the four letter nice word?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm I'm not sure that people would say that I'm always nice because I'm hyper competitive. I have to really take myself out of competitive situations because I'm just.
Speaker 3: That guy, right, I like to win. I'm used to winning.
Speaker 2: But could we use the word kind?
Speaker 1: I think kind maybe? Yeah, I think that's probably a better word, is be kind? Right, And I have to remind myself that because you know, I still get in fights online, particularly about coyotes.
Speaker 3: I get a lot of arguments about coyotes.
Speaker 2: But you're so Look when you're passionate and you want to defend, so you basically what you're doing is you're protecting what you feel is the underdog. If I can throw that pun in there, you're like you're a protector, and that is part of what we would consider a great man trait.
Speaker 1: Perpetual underdog. But the funny thing is they're actually the overdog. And the reason I say that it is because we kill the government and people in general kill more than half a million coyotes a year. We've been doing that since the eighteen hundreds. And when we started, there were no coyotes east of the Mississippi, and now everywhere. They're in New York City, they're in Chicago. They are winning. No matter what we throw at coyotes, they continue to win. So rats, yeah, well, where rats go, coyotes go. And I tell people, as an aside, you know, you can have two coyotes in your neighborhood or a hundred mice in your house.
Speaker 3: It's your choice.
Speaker 2: Oh, I picked the coyotes.
Speaker 3: I picked the coyotes too. They're super interesting, also family oriented. Coyote.
Speaker 1: I have a a as a side talking about an al Alphaslright, So coyotes hold territories. Where I live, it's in the woods, and I know my wildlife. And there's been this coyote and he's very old. Now, he's got to be seven or eight years old. Coyotes made for life. They're wonderful parents. And I call him Barkie, and man, this guy is held probably the most desirable territory in the Tahoe Basin of on Lake Tahoe for eight years. I mean that makes him an ancient kyote, like kyotes don't live to be eight.
Speaker 3: And I see him almost every day.
Speaker 1: He's very loud, and I always imagine that he because coyotes do this thing where they follow you and they're.
Speaker 3: What they're doing. People are like, oh, he's stalking me, he's trying to look my dog.
Speaker 1: No, they're trying to get you away from their territory because they know your threat, and so they follow you about thirty forty yards away and sometimes they bark at you.
Speaker 3: Sometimes they just follow you.
Speaker 1: And so I think that he goes home every night and he's like, oh, that's such a rough day.
Speaker 3: I had to chase that guy and his wolves way again today. It is just terrible. He's just coming over here, you know, and she rubs his paws.
Speaker 2: It says, I'm sorry, any I know.
Speaker 1: Sometimes she's sometimes with him, but she's she's much much less bold than Barkie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well that's so if so let's let's get Let's give the guys something here to those guys that are like trying to feel like, oh I'm a batam hell, I'm in ohega mal, I'm nobody wants me because I'm not like, you know whatever enough? What what would you say to them? Uh in in this instance of the that they maybe try to stop being alpha in the way that you know, these podcasts and these guys who I'm not naming but I could name, but you know who they are want them to be?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: What?
Speaker 2: What is the difference? What would you say?
Speaker 3: So?
Speaker 1: I mean, the first thing is throw away these labels because they're using them wrong. I mean, it's simply a technical term that describes a position in the hierarchy of a Wolf family group.
Speaker 3: It's that's all it is.
Speaker 1: It is not what they're saying of this dominance driven like, that's just a bastardized, incorrect, stolen interpretation for publicity purposes. So get rid of the labels, right, Just be a man, a decent, kind, empathetic man.
Speaker 3: And if you want an action item, I mean, all.
Speaker 1: Of us have had great and terrible bosses and great and terrible coaches, and I guarantee you that that if when I say that right now, in your mind's eye, you can remember your worst boss, You can remember your best boss. What were the characteristics of your best boss, your best coach? Did you have an awesome dad? Did you have a friend with an awesome dad? And you're like that, I wish that guy was my dad. He's an awesome dad. And I guarantee you that none of those people, not a one of them, leads through fear and intimidation, belittles you for failure, right, makes you afraid to speak out, makes you feel like you're not heard, not understood.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 1: So think about the best of those people in your life and embrace those characteristics for yourself. You will be a much more appealing man. Yeah, you don't have to be physically dominating. And remember that in human society, you know who are the winners right now, it's intellectually dominant. You know, in spite of what these guys say, the smartest guys in the room or the winners. So be intellectual, learn, be curious, be confident in yourself because you are constantly learning. Yeah, right, you don't need to enforce your will on others. It's much more persuasive to have people align with you because they agree.
Speaker 2: Yeah, absolutely, And I think from a woman's perspective, and I am that woman that has dated guys that are considered hyper masculine, like you know, navy seals, a gun runner, even some guys that like people look at and go ooh. And if they weren't kind, I wouldn't have been dating them. So it just happened that they looked that way, but they were kind, and so I think that was the part. Because if you touch a woman's heart and you one of the you know, I tell men this all the time, if you want to be thought of, so having a woman think of you a lot, right, So not just physical geometrical attraction we all have. That's only one attraction level is physical geometry. The rest of attraction has a whole spectrum of it, and one of the big ones is did you touch make her laugh? Did you touch her heart? I qualify men on first dates by how they treat the wait staff. So you know, if they're like a you know, like all this kind of stuff, I'm like forget about it, because they're supposed to be on their best behavior on a first date. If they are like dominating and being you know, to me, to the staff or anything else. They're not showing kindness and empathy. It's a no no matter what they look like. So that's what I would say about that. So men, kindness, I know the idea. That's another thing. Nice guys finish last. A nice guy is somebody who doesn't have boundaries, who is just laying down and saying, whatever you want, whatever you do, whatever. They're not having true conversations, they're not standing for themselves in a way. You can stand for yourself without being dominant. You can stand for yourself. And so I say, the kind guy always finishes first in one regard or another, because that's leading with your heart and your intelligence. You have to be intelligent to be kind.
Speaker 1: So and guys, listen, I mean I've I've always punched way above my weight when it comes to women in my life.
Speaker 3: You know, I've been.
Speaker 1: Very fortunate to have had spectacular not just not just intellectually, but fierce beautiful women in my life. Wi My wife is a world class chef. She runs award winning restaurants, right, And I think that nothing makes a man look better than putting the woman in their life first and letting them shine right, you don't diminish yourself by doing that. You Actually, I think people look up to you even more. They're like, Wow, what an awesome, awesome, confident guy.
Speaker 2: Absolutely so I love you said about you know, I think I always think men do better leveling up and dating, and that just doesn't mean just physically that they're dating above whatever their level is, but intellectually or you know, accomplishments, because men tend to strive when they're inspired, and if you date down, you feel like you're the top dog already you don't have anywhere else to go. That's an interesting thing. All right, we're wrapping this one up. We're coming back and talking more about femalees. So we're going to go now and to look at female wolves and things like that. We're gonna be talking all wolves. But all of this has to do with, of course, how you as a man can be better in relationships, better in your life, and really feel better in general about yourselves. So we'll be back in just next week. I guess I was gonna say just a minute, because we'll be back in just a minute, but in real time you'll see this next week.
Speaker 1: Welcome to Men, Sex and Tundra.
Speaker 2: Discover where your parents born in. Religion never taught you about being a man and having extraordinary sex. Get ready to have your mind blown and your world rocked.