Speaker 1: Before we dive in, here's another show you can enjoy in the True Story FM family of Entertainment podcasts.
Speaker 2: Ever, wonder where the Devil got his horns?
Speaker 1: How about those clove and hoovers for that pitch for it list me an angel?
Speaker 2: No, he was a snake.
Speaker 1: No, he's the great Red Drag.
Speaker 2: No, he's the beast.
Speaker 1: He's the Prince of this.
Speaker 2: World, Prince of Darkness, believes the Prince of dark Good Morning Star Loveli's one of my names is Lester Ryan.
Speaker 1: Clark and I sometimes go by Keenan Dias.
Speaker 2: And we're the hosts of the brand new podcast The Devil's Details. What comes to mind when I say Lucifer?
Speaker 1: How about Satan?
Speaker 2: What about just the Devil? How did the big bad of the Western world end up with so many faces? Join us as we dig up, decipher, and deconstruct the Devil's many forms throughout history.
Speaker 1: Take a guided tour with Dante through the Nine Circles of Hell.
Speaker 2: Or revisit Satan's angsty bad boy years in Paradise Loss.
Speaker 1: Learn the ins and outs of a Faustian contract.
Speaker 2: Easier than a ten ninety nine, but with a hell of a lot more fine, Prince.
Speaker 1: Slither on over to the Devil's Details on True Story FM and join us in the Diabolic discussion.
Speaker 2: Love and His is Wah didn't al Pacino play him in a movie?
Speaker 3: Sure?
Speaker 1: There wasn't.
Speaker 2: Robert didn't.
Speaker 4: That was Elizabeth.
Speaker 2: He go down to Georgia and.
Speaker 5: Some Hey, hey, apes, Hey, you see that snickers over there?
Speaker 4: No one's looking. You should just take it.
Speaker 6: No, don't listen to him, my son, that would be stealing. And stealing is a.
Speaker 5: Sin, Sinchman, It's a faking snick as may you deserve to have it.
Speaker 4: Sinning really satisfies you to.
Speaker 1: Repent, my child.
Speaker 6: Virtue is the only real snack with saving for that candy body is merely a gateway to nukeet dumbation.
Speaker 1: Has this ever happened to you?
Speaker 5: Listening to the devil on one shoulder and an angel on the other, and you're not sure what to think?
Speaker 1: Then we're here to help. I'm Pete Wright.
Speaker 5: And I'm Tommy mess The third and this season on All the Feelings, we're examining the seven deadly.
Speaker 6: Sins, you note, the fun ones.
Speaker 5: And the seven heavenly virtue, which.
Speaker 6: Are also a thing through personal stories historical oddities, and way too much embarrassment. We take you on a thrilling journey through all the goods and the bads you hear about in church, but.
Speaker 5: Without all that pesky church stuff. So come join us for All the Feelings Season nine, a sometimes funny podcast about being human, All the sins, all the virtues, all.
Speaker 6: In one place. Go to All the Feelings dot fun to learn more, or subscribe to All the Feelings wherever you get your podcasts.
Speaker 4: Okay over, Hello, and welcome to this episode of the Superhero Ethics podcast. Today we're discussing the movie Thunderbolts. We're discussing the new Avengers. We're discussing what does it mean when you're supervillain just needs a big hug? And how is mental illness portrayed in Thunderbolts and a lot of other superhero media. I'm doing that with myself Riki Hayashi and returning regular guests Jessica Plumber. Jessica, how are you doing tonight?
Speaker 3: I'm doing good. How are you doing pretty well?
Speaker 4: Pretty well? We are two months out till baby arrives, so you know, our young Padawan, our young hero coming soon. So we're in the midst of crib making and basically all the IKEA projects from Hell, except they're much smaller because they're for a baby. And I do want to say a quick word on that, which is that I'm really excited to keep I'm really excited to keep bringing you episodes of both this and the Star Wars podcast. There's actually a third podcast that's gonna be starting soon focused on the idea of parenting with myself and to veteran parents Mandy Caplan and Pete Wright, both of the True Story family of podcasts. But I am going to be taking a hiatus for a while because there's a lot to do to get ready. There's a lot of cooking we want to do, there's a lot of getting the house ready we want to do, and it's just a lot to try and take on while also trying to not only record an episode a week, most episodes a week, but also edit them and all that kind of stuff. So this will probably be the last episode we put out for a while. The hiatus is going to be through June and July, possibly into August. Baby comes middle to late July and we will kind of see where things are. But by August or if nothing else. September, we will return hit the ground running, So please stay subscribed, please stay liked, and all that, and of course please sending us feedback on stuff that comes out over the summer that you want us to talk about. If nothing else, there's a movie about some fantastic people. Is it three people? Is it five people?
Speaker 7: That's a fantastic four.
Speaker 4: Four people, four people. So I'm sure we're gonna do that again and probably get Jessica back for that. But today we are talking about Thunderbolts, And just to make sure you.
Speaker 7: Feel officially sorry that it's Thunderbolts asterisk thunderbolts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, how do you pronounce that? Thunderbolt set?
Speaker 4: Because asterix the name has changed, and we're gonna be spoiling some things from the movie to be clear. But also if you haven't seen the movie, don't worry. Neither has Riki Hakashi, because we're not. This isn't gonna be a review of the movie, as much as there's going to be a discussion of some of the topics that the movie raises. It has a lot to say about mental health, it has a lot to say about the nature of who is a hero and who gets to choose who is a hero. And that's kind of really the depth of the things we're going to talk about, because, as I've mentioned in the past, I think that there are sometimes where superhero media can engage with mental illness and do it very well and sometimes when it does it very badly. And so, Jessica, I'm just gonna start by asking you, my first thought walking out of the movie was, did they really just tell me that a sad white boy loner who is so emo that he's hurting everyone around him just needed the pretty girl to hug him and it would make him okay?
Speaker 3: Yes? And the question is I mean.
Speaker 4: Is that if I described that to you, I feel like you would normally find that fairly problematic. But I know you really like this movie, and so I want to kind of hear more about help me reframe that aspect of the movie in a way that doesn't make it seem quite So let's fix the poor male loneliness epidemic by ignoring how much hurt they're causing and just giving them a big hug.
Speaker 3: Yeah. So I did not see the movie that way at all, Like that really, And you know when you said, because I knew before I went to see the movie. You saw it first and you told me you were on the fence about it, and I came out of it and I was like, what didn't Matthew like? And I thought it might have to do with that, So I see where you're coming from. But that was not my interpretation of it at all, and I think for two really crucial reasons. One is that the main character of this movie is Yolena. Like it is, it's an ensemble film, but she is the protagonist. It is her story, it is her journey. It is her mental health that is being explored word the most thoroughly. Literally, the opening scene is her monologuing about how depressed she is. And if it were if it were Bob's story, then yes, I think I would agree with your reading of it. But it's not. He is a supporting character who functions to illuminate her story. The other thing that I think really saves it is that their relationship is not romantic. There is no romantic dynamic between them. I'm sure some people came out of it and wanted them to kiss, but I don't think that was the intent of the filmmakers, and it wasn't the read that I got if it was a romantic dynamic again, I would be like, that was kind of gross. But my takeaway from the movie was not, oh, this poor sad white man who hurts everyone around him just needs somebody to hug him and tell him he's never done anything wrong ever in his life, but that we need each other, we need community, we need connection, and if we are depressed, we need to turn to the people in our lives and ask for help. Because Bob is not the only one who needs that. Every single character in the movie needs that. And I have specific scenes if you want me to go through them.
Speaker 4: For sure, for sure, And I think that does help reframe it somewhat, and I think kind of gives a good I say that kind of humorously because I've heard some of this from Jessica before, but it is something I'm a little wrestling with. But Jessica's got me somewhat more onto this understanding. But let's step back a bit and kind of set the frame of this. So and I'm going to give kind of a summary of the movie up to these kind of crucial points without going to too much detail. So, as you said, we start with Yolena, the character who was really introduced to us in the Black Widow movie as Natasha's sister, and who also really came into her own in the Hawkeye series, a series that is not great, but introduced two of my favorite female characters right now. Her an Echo, which I think is really awesome.
Speaker 7: No love for Kate Bishop.
Speaker 4: I think Kate Bishop's fine. I think Kate Bishop is a character I've seen a bunch of times before and that we also haven't really seen much from since then. But but anyway, like Elena is depressed, she's working as an assassin on behalf of the Countess. What what is her actual name?
Speaker 7: Just call her vow she has, Yeah.
Speaker 4: We're gonna call her she. She's played by Julia Luis Dreyfuss, also known as Vip, also known as Elaine from Seinfeld, also known as the woman who dances really badly in a really funny way in a great episode of that show that is really horrible actually a show, but anyway, we're gonna but has some great moments. Uh, And I say that as a New York Jew. There's a lot of complications around that show. Anyway, moving on, and she's doing these tasks and she's not really thinking about the morality of them. She's kind of thinking about how how she shouldn't be thinking about that she wants to kind of lose herself, and that she doesn't really feel any purpose because she doesn't feel like she's making the world better. She just feels like she's doing these things in half of someone else. And we interspersed that with people are starting to do congressional hearings about what Val is up to, including a new congressman from a guest New York because that's where I think he's from Brooklyn.
Speaker 3: They specifically say the freshman congressman from Brooklyn, And can I just say, as somebody who hasn't seen an MCU movie in a while, I felt like I had been in a coma for several years. I was like, Bucky is in Congress. Well, I felt like I had been snapped, Like I was like, what is happened? It was, I can't.
Speaker 4: I had a similar feeling. I've seen some of the recent MCU stuff, I've not seen all of it. I had a similar feeling. But anyway, so it turns out that all the other people who are part of the what we become the Thunderbolts have all been working for Val. They are all to this secret hideout place that she keeps somewhere in the American desert. I guess in the Southwest. I'm not really sure, but it's supposed to incinerate ridiculous action, high jinks and can the group work together? Yes, the group can work together and they all survive, but they're all now being hunted by Thou and okay, no they don't all survive. That is correct. One. Uh, we saw the movie here. I saw a couple of weeks ago, and I didn't have the best experience seeing it. One of them task Master, who I guess is the character they never really figured out what to do with just flat up dies which.
Speaker 7: Changed with the story, Like she was supposed to have a larger part and they changed it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I figured it was a fake out, like they wanted us to think she was gonna have a bigger part and then they're like just kidding.
Speaker 7: I think in the original script, and I believe that they filmed some of this, there was supposed to be more of like a friendship between task Master and Go because they share like similar backgrounds of being used by a government agency, and so that was supposed to be like their connection, and they decided to change it up and have there be an early death of consequence, and it ended up being her and it's unfortunate, but.
Speaker 4: Okay, uh yeah, I kind of wish we'd had something more from her, but it, you know, I guess it sets look their are stakes. Yeah, So they all escape and they wind up finding this guy named Bob along the way, who doesn't really know what's going on with him, but he has some powers maybe possibly, and really all that Vou wants is to get her hands back on him because he apparently is the secret project that she's been working on. Lots of other people have died being attempting to make what they have made in Bob. And we get to a situation where Bob feels like he's been abandoned by the group and Vow is the one person who can talk to him, and she kind of convinces him to become this hero that she describes as a century, which I've now come to understand is s e n T s e n t r e Y or heavy for a century. I thought it was mister century century think they were hitting.
Speaker 3: I think it was a fake out because I thought they were saying Century like one hundred years every time they mentioned the project, because they talk about the Century project a lot during the movie, well before Bob is like, you know, puts on the Century costume and is revealed to be Century, and they don't give us his last name or anything for a really long time. So I'm like vaguely familiar with the character from the comics, but it took me, I think, until he not quite put on the costume but pretty close to that for me to be like, oh, they're saying Century. So I do think that they were buttsing it in their playing a little bit. I think they might have been doing that on purpose, Okay, or I just can't hear, which is also a true statement.
Speaker 4: Well, so let's talk about who is this character in the comics, because he is similar, but I think fairly distinct in ways that, particularly from mental illness perspectives, are very important to name. So who is he? Who is Century slash emo boy who I think is actually supposed to be He has a character the name of the Void. Who is he in the comics?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean Century is basically a Marvel superman, which you know, there are dozens of Superman and all of the comics now, but he's got the flight, he's got the in vulnerability. I believe originally it's not supposed to be a super super serum, which is what they used in the movie right to give him his powers, like it's a government super soldier program. I think it's supposed to be magic. But that's that's something that's not important, and they've probably changed the multiple times. The important thing is that in the comics, originally he suffers from a disassociated personality. It's disorder, so like Century and Void are different aspects of his personality. I do believe that like at times, they do have strong relationships to his depression, bringing some of this aspect out. And when he was introduced in the Marvel comics, it was actually originally like a story similar to Spider Man No Way Home, the most recent one, and I think that's why they didn't go with that story because it was too similar, where they the Illuminati, Doctor Strange, iron Man, et cetera, used like a Doctor Strange spell to make the world forget about Century and the Void, and as a consequence, like Bob Reynolds also forgets and he has these dreams, these vivid dreams where he's like, I had a dream that I was flying, I had a dream that I was a hero. Right, Well, they're memories that are actually manifesting, and so like, there's this journey of him rediscovering himself as century and then unfortunately rediscovering the Void.
Speaker 4: And I can see why that would get really confusing, especially not only because of Spider Man No Way Home, but also that sounds remarkedly similar to some of the ideas explored in Moonnight, which is another character who has disassociative identity disorder, which, for those who are not aware, is what is what was once known as multiple personality disorder. We have a better understanding of it now scientifically, I think that change happened about ten years ago. But just for anyone who's not quite quite understanding that we're talking about, you know. And there again we have a character who has that and is having dreams about things that his other personalities have done at some point in time, or that that he has done another point in time.
Speaker 7: Yeah, and there again, like comics are always changing things, reccon now, it's not's that. And there was also a period of time where the Void was like a demonic entity that possessed him.
Speaker 4: Right, And in this I think it's much more that he becomes kind of what I described as emo Doctor Manhattan in that he has like all the kind of that kind of like power that missed that Doctor Manhattan has from The Watchman to just kind of like snap people out of existence, not uh, like you know, Thanos snap, but just kind of like you know, to with a thought, they stop existing. And he is very depressed, very uh. He he wanted to stand up to the heroes, but he wanted them not to fight. He wanted them to kind of recognize how great he is. And he has this kind of like super happy like everything is great. And then when they fight him and he realizes that not only are they against him, but also that Val was using him and lying to him, he has what I think a lot of us can recognize as a depressive crash. And the words are never spoken, but I think this is and Jessica, let me know where you would put it. I mean, I'm not a training therapist. I don't think you are either, but it feels like it is much more evocative in this of bipolar, manic, depressive things like that or cerly at least deep depression than it is d id.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I certainly have no medical or therapeutic qualifications whatsoever. What I will say is that depression is a something that pretty much every main character in this movie is shown to have in common, Yolena, Bob Walker. I think you can definitely argue that Alexi and Bucky are shown like there's definitely a moment of Bucky like standing in his kitchen, just like not processing being in the world, the only one, the only nature character. I would say, we don't necessarily see it for as ghosts, but it's an easy extrapolation to make. But with most of those characters, I would say, Okay, what they've got going on is depression, and with I mean some of them also we know have PTSD, but they're managing it. Like Bucky probably has more than just depression going on, but Bob clearly has additional mental health struggles, including, like explicitly stated in the movie, problems with addiction on top of the depression. That is sort of the baseline for every character in this film.
Speaker 4: Right.
Speaker 7: You say they all have depression, but they also have like depression is just not a one size fits all They have differing degrees of how they are coping with it and how they are managing it, right, like different levels of functionality.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and like I would say, like for example, like I mentioned, like Bucky is masking really really well, And I think you can definitely draw a narrative of like Bucky is doing what he's supposed to do and he's being a normal person and he's you know, doing good without violence. He's in Congress now, and like that moment when he just like throws it all away to go, you know, do insane things on a motorcycle, like kind of reveals how much he has been masking who he really is. Where Alexi is also masking, but much more poorly. Like his his show of everything is great and I'm fine is much more transparent. Elene is not bothering Walker is awesome. I think it's it's actually really interesting that all of the men are masking and only Elaine is like this is it? This is how I feel?
Speaker 4: Right? No, I think it's very true. And I think you know, alexis shown not quite as what could possibly be addiction, but I think he is better understood is self medicated. You know, he is using alcohol and food and he might well be addicted to those things, but certainly right now they he is self medicating. He is using them to give himself the dopamine that his brain is not producing, which meets me. I think part of why this is such a depression is a word that's used so broadly. And as I said, I'm not a licensed therapist, I did have some of that training, and I want to kind of give a little bit of a breakdown as it was explained to me by both professors and my own therapists, of just some of the different terms we can use that that there is because I think people often hear the word depressed and don't know what means, and that there is. There is situational depression, which is a bad thing has happened to you and you are feeling really down about it, but presumably you will get back up and and that is often what the The analogy that was used for me was you're in a hole and there's a ladder and you just haven't figured out you have you're not ready to climb back up the ladder. Then there is like long term depression, which is you know you are down at that hole. There may be a ladder, but you're having trouble seeing it. You need help remembering to like use the latter, et cetera. And then chronic medical depression. I mean, all of them are medical to some extent. But and this is where like medical intervention becomes more important medication and things like that, which is where you're in the hole and there is no letter and you need to construct the latter to some extent, and I mean going to all the difference of like you know, with therapy versus medication, all that kind of stuff. But yeah, I think the movie does a really good job of showing lots of people at lost in different stages. And I don't want to say, like which one is it which, but all of them are dealing with just the general fucked upitness of the world in general, but also of their particular worlds. You know, all of them were people who thought they would be heroes to some extent or another, and they are not, and they're not being treated as such, and they're being perceived as such, and they're in a lot of ways really wrestling with who they are. And I do think you're right, Jessica, that a lot of what you know, the the what makes them come together. Is there is the idea of community and the idea that like each of them feels alone in their own way, and it finds that in the company of each other that they're not alone, that everyone is in their own shame room, but that they don't have to be they can be together and come out of it together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and well, so I do. I do want to There's a couple of things I want to say when I do want to sort of challenge how you framed, you know, the things that they're wrestling with, because I think for very few of the characters, it's actually how they're perceived that they're worrying about, Like maybe Walker and maybe bob Yolena does want to do more public super heroing and Alexi, I guess, but like that's because Alexi tells her when he was happiest. She's like, how do I be happy? And he says, I was happiest when I was a public superhero and she's like, Okay, let me try that. Like she's not in it for the glory, and I don't think it for I don't think it's ego for all of the characters, and I don't think it's ego even for the characters where it is ego, I don't think that's the primary driver because the thing that we're like, the climax has them bob as the void basically like nothing's all of them into or he's nothing people away, which, by the way, the special effects in this movie are great, like the effects that they have for the void, the way that they've animated him and CGI is really cool, and the way that people are erased is like genuinely frightening.
Speaker 7: Very a lot of sound design. Yeah, there's just a very brief scene in the trailer, but it's almost like a slump as they disappeared.
Speaker 3: It was the first time it happens. There's like a little girl that Alexi is just saved and you're like, oh, he saved her, and then she's gone. Everybody's fine at the end, like they all come out of it.
Speaker 7: But so that's so manipulative emotionally. On the they were well, and that's the thing.
Speaker 3: Like a friend and I saw this together, Becky who's been on the podcast, saw this together and afterwards were like breaking down the story mechanics because they're very it's a movie that has very clear mechanics, but they work so well. But yeah, so Yolena goes into the blackness to try and talk to Bob and get them to stop this, and then the rest of them all follow her. And what happens when you're in the blackness is you're confronted with terrible moments in your life, and specifically moments when you failed or were at your lowest. Like Yolena repeatedly sees herself as a trainee in the Red Room luring a friend a little girl. She is a little girl, her friend is a little girl to be murdered, and she sees this over and over and over again. And there's actually a great line when they all make it. All the other characters make it through to Yolena and Bob, and she's like, are you guys okay? And Bucky's like, well, I had a great life, so I'm doing fine. But like, they're very much plagued by the things that they've done and the things that they have not done. And I think that's important to note because again that question of like, is this a movie about, oh this poor sad man, or is it a movie about supporting one another? And I think the fact that they do take responsibility for their own wrongs is really key to what side of the coin the movie lands on.
Speaker 4: I think it's really fair. And first of all, you want to say, just on what you're talking about there. That's a reference to shame room, and that's the term they use at some points in the movie. And I do think for me, at least in my own I mean, I don't speak for anyone else but my own understanding and my own depression, that felt very, very real. You know, there was a period of time when I was trying to crawl out of depression at the when it was at its worst, when I started listening to podcasts in part because I needed to always have voices talking to me because or else, you know, not the voices in my head in a literal schizophrenic way, but just in terms of like my brain without active input would start remembering and would immediately take me back to those things. And that is something that happens in depression. And I thought all that was brilliant. I will say I had a very different response to the Special Effects. I laughed out loud because I did think it was so manipulative and bad and like, come on, how lazy is the writing here? But I'm really glad it worked for others. I think what I meant by the hero thing and maybe, actually, I'm gonna say it again, I think, actually, you're right, and I think you've got me to see the hero thing in a different way. It's not that they all want to be heroes. It's that again, in a way, they're self medicating of they don't have the self validation that humans need, and that they don't also have the validation of their immediate friends and family and loved ones, and as happens a lot myself very much included, and I've had to be careful with this podcast not to be doing this, but there I think Alexiascally and Walker they're seeking it from strangers. You know a lot of people who you think about that person who is just seeking the cheers of the crowd while alienating all the people close to them. That's very much a depressive trait and can be linked to narcissism, but can just be depression of you're craving that validation that you don't get from yourself, and you're craving it from strangers. And it can be you know, serial friendships, serial relationships, or trying to get ten thousand likes, because if you just get a thousand more likes, maybe your mother will stop braiding you for the thing that she braided you about twenty years ago that you can't forget, you know. And I do think that you write they capture that very well and have you'll Lena doesn't have that the way the others do, and I think that's really interesting how that plays out.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The other thing that you said that I was like, I was like, well, this is really relevant is when you were li likening like the different kinds of depression to being trapped in a hole and how do you get out of the hole if there's no ladder? That's literally in the movie. Yeah, Yeah, there is a sequence in the movie. It's when they're escaping this like death trap that Valentina has sent them all into and they there is an elevator shaft, but there's no elevator and there's no ladder, so how do they get out of it? And it's Bob actually who comes up with the idea that they all link arms and press like back to back. There's four of them at this point, It's Yolena, Bob, Walker, and Ghost. They link arms, they back up and then they like walk up the walls bracing against each other, and like the metaphor could not be any more blatant, like how do you get out of this? You have to lean on each other, Like it's it's really extremely explicit, and it's I mean, this is not the first movie to use that as a metaphor for teamworking connection and like being a better person by making friends. The Umperor's New Groove does it beautifully. And it's only when they get to the top and Walker just he needs to be the hero because they when they get to the top, they're like, wait, now, how do we get to the doorway? And Walker decides that he's going to like do this big hero moment and he's gonna jump for the doorway and he almost kills everybody else because he's thinking as an individual instead of how they support each other and like coming up with a collective plan. So yeah, the movie is really really unsubtle, like how do you get out of the hole? Julian on each other?
Speaker 7: But I love that. I don't know, like not everything needs to be subtle, and no, that that metaphor can easily be missed, right, you can just view it as a action set piece moment well.
Speaker 3: And I didn't. I did miss it. I didn't think about it until I was thinking about like what we were going to talk about in this discussion, and I was like, oh, dang, okay, because it happen pretty early in the movie before the theme of depression is really expanded on, before you really see it for every character, and I was like, oh, oh, okay, And you can compare it to there's a scene during the climax before the little girl gets nothinged, when basically they've just fought Bob in Avenger's Tower and now they're back on the street and he like takes that I think a helicopter and it's causing all these building parts to fall down onto the street and so they're like protecting civilians, which was a very funny scene for me to watch because I used to walk down that exact block every single day, twice a day to go to work, and like, if you're in the MCU, maybe don't ever go to Midtown ever because it's not safe. But there's this moment where I think it's Alexei who some there's like a huge slab wall and it's falling over and it's about to land on a civilian, and Alexei, who is a super soldier like goes and catches the wall and is holding it up, but he can't. He's not strong enough to hold it indefinitely, and he's not strong enough to push it back. And this civilian is just like hanging out and not running.
Speaker 7: Right outside.
Speaker 3: Move, move, and then I think it's maybe Walker or Bucky. Like all the other characters one by one come over and also hold up the wall, and there's no distinction made between who had a super soldier serum injected into them at some point and who didn't. Like I'm like, what's Yolena gonna do? But they're all it's the only way that they can save this person. And nobody has like a moment of ego in this. They are genuinely cooperating. And when they do flip the wall over and not only does it work, but then all the civilians start applauding.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I mean I like that. I feel like if they wanted to be unsubtle, they could by adding dialogue like we'll do it together or you can lean on me. Yeah, that to me is unsubtle, But like the visual, I really like the what you're describing about the visuals.
Speaker 3: I thought it was done very elegantly, and they it helps that all of these characters are very sarcastic and like don't really like each other. I mean, they do their friends at the end, but like also they don't like each other, and so every time you have a moment where it could be like we did it thanks to teamwork, they'll just insult each other. And you know, they it allows you to have the visual, which is more important in movie language anyway, without it becoming belabored or cheesy because they they undercut it with the sarcastic remark, right, you know.
Speaker 4: I think that's true. And I think especially Elena and Alexi have a few moments of like genuine emotional connection in ways that I think have really that both of them have clearly been hungering for in terms of this father daughter relationship that was several years ago in part by the right Room, but in part by Alexi himself and then by her rejecting him for instantable reasons and stuff like this, And there was a really beautiful connection there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I thought, like, to me, that was the emotional turning point of the movie. And again like in terms of this being Yolene's movie, that is the moment where like, again, the structure of this movie is very transparent. They have their low point at the end of act two when they have gotten their asses kicked by Bob. They have totally lost They have no way to stop him, they don't know what to do. Elena says extremely cruel things to every single member of the Thunderbolts and walks away from them, and Alexi catches up with her and is like, I'm sorry, I wasn't there for you, like and like states the pain that they are both in and they're like both crying and it's a really nice scene and it is what gives her the Like, again, you hit the low point at the end of act two, and then you have that moment where you rally emotionally so you can go in and fight the bad guy in act three, which is exactly what happens. Because she had that moment with Alexi, she has the emotional fortitude to go into the darkness and try to share what she has just gotten with somebody else.
Speaker 7: Yeah, this is nice. I like this movie.
Speaker 3: There's one more scene that I'm just like dying to talk about. And then I promise I'll stop.
Speaker 4: Please please do I have a big critique I want to bring, but I want to hear more the positives, So please go ahead.
Speaker 3: Okay, So the you know, in terms of like, oh, the toxic masculinity and he just needs a hug and whatever. I do think that the movie actually explicitly rejects that. And I don't think it rejects it with Bob. I think it rejects it with Walker because his Bob has this ability to touch people. This is before he really knows that he has powers, and nobody knows what's going on with him, but he can touch people, and he can see those dark memories that they're trying to hide. Like that's the first time we see the flashback of Yolene as a child, luring her friend into a trap, and so he touches Walker, and earlier in the movie, Walker was bragging about how he has the best life out of any of them because he has a wife and a kid and like his life is complete and they're all losers. So Bob touches him, and we see a flashback of Walker sitting in his house. He's right next to the crib. The baby is screaming, and his wife is like, can you can you do something? Can you help? Can you you know, like calling from the other room, John, can you do something? And he's just staring into space, like just totally checked out, ignoring his crying child, ignoring his wife who is begging for help. And she finally walks into the room, picks up the baby and is like what is wrong with you and walks out, And later we learn that she's actually left him, like they're separated, right, And this this could be a scene that's like, oh, poor Walker, like his wife is such a bitch, but it's not. This is a memory that's laden with profound shame for him because he is failing as a husband and father, because he is failing in domestic responsibilities. He is not comforting his child, and he is not helping his wife. And the movie has sympathy for him, like he's it's clearly not because he doesn't care. He's clearly depressed. And the movie I felt like that it managed to have sympathy for his depression without excusing his failure to again be reliable in a domestic sphere. And I think that that really is saying something against that sort of toxic masculinity idea.
Speaker 4: I think that's really fair, and I had a lot of these in terms, but in many ways it is a very i think intentional counterpoint of Alexi, who also failed his child, failed as a father, and now is trying to an exact opposite to Walker, who's denying that and is more worried about other people thinking of him as a good father than actually being a good father. Alexis trying to is acknowledging that he was a shitty father and is trying to do better as someone who's two months away from becoming a parent and had an abusive father. This is all hitting really close to home, and I remember, Yeah, I was sobbing during that scene because it's one thing actually that they've drilled into us in a couple of baby classes and books that I've been reading, is like, no matter what you do, sometimes your baby's gonna cry and there's little, really nothing you can do to stop it, and that you're going to feel like a failure. And I'm sitting here thinking about, Yeah, for someone like John Walker who can stop bullets, who can is so much more powerful than anyone else, the idea that even he sometimes can't stop a baby from crying, and would go into that kind of fugue state un thus stop trying instead of like continuing to show the baby love and affection and doing what you do until it does stop crying on its own for whatever reason or with what you're doing. It hits really hard, for sure. Here's the so, I think you all have talked me out of some of the toxic masculinity stuff that I was seeing it, and I admit I think I am. You know, it's kind of like some of the conversations we've had in earlier podcasts about Burrier Gaze or fridging, where the problem with these tropes is that things that kind of look like it or rhyme with the trope, it's easy to see them as the trope and react badly to that as well because of that, And I I would admit that for me, I hear what you're saying about Elena, it did feel like it made Bob's emotional journey the focus and everyone else have to deal with to sort of subsume their emotional feelings for Bob's emotional feelings. I didn't I didn't love that, but I agree with you it's nowhere near as bad as I first thought it was.
Speaker 7: Well, I had to describe a question if I may, because you described it as a pretty girl gives him a hug, right, But isn't this a group hug.
Speaker 4: It starts with just Jolena, Yeah, and it's very much a go ahead, but.
Speaker 7: They all they all hug together.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so so Bob is. And that was another thing that I thought was really again unsubtle, but really interesting. So in the climax, they're in the lab, they're not really in the lab. They're in this like mindscape of Bob's of the lab where he was turned into century, which is also it's like ground zero for his issues, and it's also kind of ground zero for Yolena's because that's where the opening scene of the movie is where she's monologuing about her depression. And we basically the Void shows up like we have regular Bob and then the Void shows up and he is like using telekinesis to like hurl bits of the lab at the rest of the team. So they're all pinned against the wall. I think Walker maybe has like something stuck through his shoulder. Like they're pretty injured by it and they can't move, they can't intervene, and so Bob is like fighting the void and he gets the upper hand and he's like on top of the void, punching him over and over and over again, and you can see the blackness of the void is creeping up over Bob, and I think it's Bucky who's like, this is wrong, which was another point that I really appreciated, Like, the solution is not violence. The violence does not solve the problem in this movie.
Speaker 4: And then he teaches that like if you accept depression, which of first you're not supposed to, but if you do, you can beat it by being strong. You can man up right depression. Right that You're right. That scene is a brilliant way of showing how wrong all that is.
Speaker 3: It's the solution is not physical strength or like any kind of like being stronger, and the solution is not hating yourself. And so Bucky is like this is wrong, and they're all like oh yo, like this is clearly not the solution. So Yolena and Alexi are actually pinned beneath the same piece of metal, and she looks at him and he kind of nods at her, and then he pushes harder against it. And takes all of the weight so that she can slip out, which is yet another moment of teamwork, right, so she can run to Bob and like she pulls, like she's not running to hug him. She's running to pull him off of the void, which turns into a hug. She's like pinning his arms so he stops doing this. It is also a hug, absolutely, and then the metal kind of loosens its grip and everybody else can run forward and like jump into the hug too.
Speaker 4: I think even before that, I mean she gets to him first, yes, and that's to me it felt like at first the moment between that. But again I'm trying to move past that one. But to what I think is cause I think, like I said, you've turned me around on that one, but I think there is still one part of it that hit me wrong. And there's a number of great articles about this movie, some that are very praising of it. And I want to be clear, like the experience that some people have had with this, including myself, of it not ringing true, does not negate the fact that it rings true for many people. And as I said, even for me, many parts did ring true. There's a great article on how the movie is apparently an expression of CBT cognitive behavioral therapy, something I haven't been through, but I know it's really saved a lot of lives. But there's an article in Polygon called Thunderbolts, Big Depression metaphor hit me hard, mostly for the wrong reasons. What Marvel Studio's latest gets right and wrong about living with depression. It's by Tasha Robinson, and she talks about having depression and how this movie hit her, and I just want to read a couple parts of it because it really was effective, and it's talking about all the things that the movie gets right and says, but it misses one big issue with depression. The aspect of the movie that most made me shrink in my seat in the theater, the sense of shame that comes with needing this kind of help and with putting this much weight and demand on other people. There's a comforting fantasy in the idea that even though everyone in Thunderbolts is navigating major traumas of their own, they're all capable of temporarily setting aside their own issues to focus on comforting and supporting Bob. Granted they don't have much choice, given that he's encompassing the world in nightmarish darkness. Still, the film frames that group hug as an act of caring and empathy, not desperation or grudging heroic obligation. He has easy ability to absor the orb of that comfort when it comes, though, to take on Yo Lana's message of companionship as a real fix for his loneliness, and to do it without embarrassment. To me, that felt harder to believe than MCU. Multiverses are magic and almost toxic itself and its lack of weight or complexity. I've been through this kind of crisis myself, facing my own mental health struggles, or trying to help friends navigate theirs. And shame is often a major factor, both as an oncoming part of the larger weight of depression and in moments like these where long simmering melancholy reaches a boiling point. It's hard to accept help, it's hard to admit problems. The societal view of depression holds that everyone should be strong, independent, and self contained, and that should be embarrassing to demand other people's time, attention, or love. And I mean stop, stop, stop reading it, and I don't want to kind of let her words speak. But one thing she goes on to talk is that it was really frustrating that at the end Bob has no memory of this because he kind of therefore escapes the sense of like, wait a minute, when everyone else was going through their own stuff. Not only but I kind of like started hurting everyone to the point that they had to stop dealing with their stuff and help me with mine. And for me, that felt very, very real of the sense of like, and it's part of the shame spiral and the way you know, our brains lie to us in depression or the kinds of mental illness, because the reality is your friends are glad to help you. The people in the movie are happy to help Bob, They want to help Bob, they want to help each other. But it just felt like the phrase alone in a crowd is one that I really related to a lot in the midst of my worst depression of like, yes, I had all these friends around me who loved me, who wanted to take care of me, but it didn't help at all. It just continued the shame spiral downwards. And so I think that's the only part of it that I think still continues to ring false to me. Is and hero Artica I think is great and I want to I'll put it in the show notes. I want to kind of put it to you all of kind of your perspective on that of the like this can. And I think for some people depression is absolutely helped by having lots of people like people come to them with love and affection and caring. But that sometimes that can actually backfire or or that that that that can uh not, it doesn't always ring true the way it does in this movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, first of all, I want to say, like, you don't need to apologize for not liking this movie as much as I do, because I came onto your podcast, I came into your home many times and said I don't like Superman seventy eight or The Dark Knight, and you were still friends with me.
Speaker 4: So that's true. This is true. This is true.
Speaker 3: We can disagree and it's okay. I definitely like I I it sounds like a really interesting article and I'm going to look it up after we're done we're done talking, and I I think those are really interesting points. As someone who has also struggled with depression, I would agree that like shame is a huge, huge factor in it, and it's a huge factor that prevents you from being able to turn to others and say, hey, this is what's going on with me. And it's definitely something that I very much struggled with and have historically struggled with. And I do think it is something again like shame is a huge emotion in this film. It's something that it hammers home repeatedly. I will say, you know, I don't think it's like the minute the characters are offered a helping hand, they immediately accept it like it's a two hour movie. And I think that that is the journey from being unable to make those connections, Like they don't like each other at the beginning, they can't get along. That is part of the journey being able to accept that help and to like they Yes, they literally lean on each other towards the beginning of the movie, but they cannot emotionally lean on each other until the end. But I also think, like I mean, even right in the movie, they depict multiple experiences of depression and none of them are exactly the same. And I just I think it's when you're telling a story about something that is so so loaded and so personal and so difficult. It's not going to work for everybody. It's not going to work for everybody's experience. And I often find media depictions of depression. I very rarely connect with them. I very rarely see my own experience reflected in them. And I remember, I mean this was like ten years ago now, but I remember once reading a review of the Mark Wade Run on Daredevil, which is about Daredevil struggling with depression and masking, and somebody was reviewing it and said, like, that's what I do to mask my depression. I smile like a good little extrovert, and like, to this day, the phrase good little extrovert like gets the water works going for me in a way that, again, you know, the sort of typical depiction of here's this person who can't get out of bed, right doesn't. So I think I don't. I don't think this movie can be everything to any to everyone, And I I think it's that's fair, very worthwhile to say, like, this didn't work for me because this is my experience, because that's the only way that we can understand each other.
Speaker 4: I think that's a really good point. And I think that like we have been focusing more in this movie than I planned to, and and we've been going for a while, so it won't go too much longer. But I mean, we can use this kind of expand out a bit, which is that you know, earlier in the article they kind of talk about like, should a movie like this try and wrestle with something as deep as depression and mental illness while also having you know, action scenes and quips and funny jokes and set up of the villain. I would have liked a more believable or at least in some tiny way relatable villain we get. I think someone who twirls a mustache even more so than Emperor Palpatine. Neither one of them have mustaches, but you get my point.
Speaker 3: But I think Valentina would rock a mustache.
Speaker 4: I think that's very She would stroke a beard so.
Speaker 3: Well, she'd be so good at it.
Speaker 4: But I feel like I having had this conversation, I feel like I am glad this movie is moving the conversation forward. I may not love the things that it's adding to the conversation, but if it like, I feel like it's asking really good questions. Even if I don't love the answers that it's proposing, and that's I don't think I can ask anything more of media, Like I think that's exactly what we want to see. And a lot of what this podcast is about is saying, how can you have things that have fun action scenes and quippy dialogue and a lot of humor. Though I didn't think this movie is a funny as a lot of other people, but that's putting aside, but like, how about that and still deal with with serious issues.
Speaker 3: I think part of why this movie is because like most of the reaction I've seen has been like, Wow, this is so much better than I expected. Wow, this is real, Like people were surprised. I was surprised, And I think a lot of that is because the MCU has reached a point where a lot of these products that they're creating and I use the word product deliberately rather than like stories or movies or TV shows, feel like we need to keep the IP going. We need to like put out our requisite number of Marvel products in this year. We made this thing by committee based on who is under contract, and it's like it just here, it is. It came out of sausage factory and so to see a movie that is about something and is trying to say something, even if it's something it's saying doesn't necessarily work for everyone. I think really is is a reason for that, like surprise pleasure of oh oh wait. I liked this, this, this, I connected with this, which was also how I felt about Agatha all along, which I thought was like a shameless money grab, like we're really doing a TV show about a song from a different TV show, And then it really had something to say and I found it very moving.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, it's definitely true, and it will just kind of as a side because Agatha along a lot of it is about motherhood and things like that. I am so so so glad that Elene's depression and her shame moment in the Shame Room and all of this never had anything to do with the forced tystectomy that oh my god, yes, because that was such a painful thing with her and Natasha over a couple different products. So glad to avoid that. Riggi, where do you kind of fall on this? Having having heard this discussion, what's kind of your thoughts on movies like this that are that are not meant to be, like, you know, two hour Navel gazing explorations of our deepest, darkest mental demons, but then are wrestling with such hard issues amongst the fight scenes and the quips and the fun stuff.
Speaker 7: Yeah, I have a couple of thoughts. I mean I should have written some of these down. So the first thing is like that the Polygon article and Bob forgetting right, forgetting about what he did as the Century and the Void is like going back to being true to the comics version of him. And I think part of it is a conceit that you have to depower him until the next crisis, right, it's like the whole Superman problem, And it's like if you have the Century as part of the Avengers, like, wouldn't he just solve everything immediately? So I think you have to like depower him and sit him on the bench in this form. So it's like an unfortunate product of like what you have to do with this character, like between movies.
Speaker 3: And I can gag about that too at the end when they're like, Okay, we gotta fight crime. Can you like do something and he's like, I don't remember how to anymore? Guys. Sorry.
Speaker 7: Yeah, as a as a product of as Jessica was saying, like the MCU machine, I think to me, like, you look at the names involved in this movie and what they have done previously, it really shows that they put a lot more trust back into the creators. I got their names right here. So Joanna Callo is one of the writers. She's a writer on The Bear, which is just like a multi Emmy winning show and deals with a lot of you know, similar issues of like people under pressure and like how they react to that and then the other on the other side. Jake Schreier, the director Hit. One of his last projects was Beef, which is a Netflix show. I actually went and watched the first episode just to see what it was like, like tonally, and it really struck me that Beef is a show where, like the two main characters are going through some some kind of depressive episode and it's leading to them acting out in ways that are you know, not not good for them. And to bring bring all that together in a superhero movie is kind of stunning, and I would not have expected it from the MCU, like even a year ago. Right, Yeah, So it sounds to me like this is the like the best representation or the best exploration of depression in the MCU, which is a low bar, probably like Iron Man three, right or that was a little bit more PTSD, but but similar tone. It's a low bar, but they they set the bar further, is what it sounds like. They move the bar.
Speaker 4: If we're separating out the Netflix MCU, then yeah, I think I would agree. I would definitely put dare to put but anyway I started vision.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, absolutely so on the movie side, like this is this is the best. It's a new bar that sounds like a good thing to me, and the fact that it is getting accolades just as a movie in general while accomplishing then is a positive step forward. And the fact that like they it seems like they let the creators like tell the story for the most part that they wanted to tell, and there are elements where they have to set up the next movie in the next movie obviously, but I'm actually shocked, so, like I mean, the the big spoilery thing about the Asterisk is that at the end they are introduced as the New Avengers by Valve right right, And I'm shocked that that is the conclusion just from a from a franchise standpoint, because they've been setting up, you know, Sam Wilson's supposed to be putting the New Avengers together. They've had teasers about Miss Marvel and Kate Bishops being the young Avengers, and this just came out of nowhere. It's like, Oh, they're the Avengers and and and and to give these characters that mantle in this moment in the franchise history is kind of stunning to me and says something about the trust that they put in these performers.
Speaker 4: Right, I think that's overstating at somewhat, and I want to go too into this. There is a totally different issue, but it just you can tell me if you disagree. But to me, it did not, in any way, shape or form, feel like the MCU was saying these are the new Avengers.
Speaker 3: It was it was saying about it at the end. They're so sam issuing them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was saying that val is that the United States is saying they're the new Avengers, the same way they're saying that John Walker is the new Captain America. Like, I don't think that these are the stars of Avengers Doomsday or whatever it is, but it probably thought that they're gonna be in it for sure, and they became the Avengers team. But I think I think the idea is that in universe the term Avengers is now being in conflict, not that the MCU itself is sort of in a meta way saying these characters are the Avengers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, although to be fair, who's on Sam's team?
Speaker 4: Yeah, like that.
Speaker 7: At this point they are more the Avengers than you know, Sam, Joaquin Falcon, Shan Chi like Captain Marvel, Like she's off planet again, right, and that's how they get rid of her until the next movie. She's always off planet. Like they're not a team, Like this is much more of a team after this movie than anything else going on.
Speaker 4: Well, let's get to that when we get to our next Avengers movie, because I'll be really disappointed, I think if that's actually what they do. But just going back to the mental side of it, I I hear what you're saying. I do think as I think about it, that there's a lot of other movies, even in the MCU, that I think handled depression of mental almost better. I think Black Panther two does a lot with it. I think Avengers End Game, especially in the character of four, does an awful lot with it. And with Tony you.
Speaker 3: Say better though, because I know there was a lot of unhappiness about particularly thor and like Chris Hemsworth in a fat suit, like didn't know.
Speaker 4: So for me as someone, the main way that my depression, the main way that my I've talked about this before, but the main way that my depression should have like exerted itself in the outer world was me gaining a lot of weight and him getting me heroic without losing the weight was I thought incredibly cathartic for that perspective. So yeah, I agree that it's controversial, but I'm just saying that I to me, this hasn't set the new bar, but I'd say it rises to the bar that a couple of others have hit that a lot do not come close to.
Speaker 3: Well, And that I think is also a great example of how, like, yeah, differently, we need these multiple depictions because things are going to hit different for different people with different experiences.
Speaker 4: For sure, And I think, to me, that's kind of my My biggest takeaway is I feel like this movie tried something it didn't just to be like this is what you were saying, Jessica, It wasn't just more hollywoods, you know. It wasn't just another factory produced by the Numbers superhero movie that was kind of soulless and had nothing to say. This tried something like I love the TV show The Acolyte. It was trying something totally new in Star Wars. I don't think it was totally successful. I do wind I did wind up loving it, though, but I think even if I hadn't, I was really glad that it tried something. And I think that's kind of what I feel about this is I think this was like, let's try something. I think it failed to try it, but I think I'm much happier having it try and for me fail and for a lot of other people succeed, then for them to just give us another soulas you know, by the Numbers kind of thing that has nothing to say and it's just an excuse for big, shiny things, and you know, the newest actor to be in the tight Suit whatever it is.
Speaker 8: Yeah, absolutely, speaking of the newest actor in the Tight Suit, I would be remiss if I did not talk about the fact that originally Stephen Yung from Beef and The Walking Dead, among other things, he was originally cast to be Sentry and it was.
Speaker 7: Only because of the writer strike, kind of like throwing all the schedules out of sync. Then he had to drop out of this project because he had other commitments that he that he had to honor. So I would have loved that. Like I again, I watched the first episode of Beef, and I like saw this Bob character, like the depression and also like parts of the anger like in this and I was like, yeah, like I could totally have seen him as this role. I've seen some concept art where they give him the blonde hair because that's like a very key part of century like the power of a thousand suns or whatever, a million maybe, and so like his hair is like golden blonde. Like what I wanted to see is Steve in you like with the blonde diet here. I don't know, maybe we could change that part, but I would have enjoyed that a lot to see him in this role.
Speaker 4: And I will say I think for me and I think probably I was letting the context in which I was seeing this movie play too big of a role because right now, in the political world and stuff, we are seeing an awful lot of like but think of the poor straight white CIS men. You know, like what about their feelings and they're not getting into Harvard enough and so that's driving politics, and like, you know, they're being oppressed every time people talk badly about them on social media. And so in that context, for me, asking me to think that all the characters should care about a straight, white CIS guy, and maybe he's not straight or cis, but but that's certainly I we portrayed so far that his emotional problem should be the thing that everyone has to focus on. It just hit me wrong, and so I would have loved to see that difference. But I think, you know, I'm willing to step back and say, that's probably me reading too much of my feelings about the rest of the world onto this movie, because yeah, all people's feelings do deserve attention and care and things like that. It doesn't mean that Bob shouldn't. It's just that to me, it's not the high priority that I think the movie made it.
Speaker 3: I do think that, like as established, we didn't have the same read on the movie. But I do think that if they had cast a non white actor as Bob, it would have changed some of that subtext for sure, or even stuff like so Riki, you talked about Sentry being blonde. There is actually a gag where Valentina makes Bob dye his hair blonde because that's the look she has in mind for a century.
Speaker 4: Ok.
Speaker 3: And I think, and it's a gag like it's he's it's supposed to be ridiculous that he would do this that like he feels uncomfortable about it. I think that gag lands very differently if she's making an Asian man die his hair blonde. Yeah, a certain way.
Speaker 7: Like that may just be an artifact of that original casting.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think, well, that's interesting. That would have been really interesting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the joke felt a little weird. I was like, why is he so bothered by this? And I think, yeah, that would have been very interesting with different casting. I really want to wrap up. This actually inspires me to ask a different question, Jessica, and for Eureki as well. How do you think it would have affected the movie if they hadn't given us the Bob character. If if the movie really was focusing on Yolene's mental health journey and she was the one who became the void.
Speaker 7: That's such a loaded question for me, just because of the comics connection of it, Like I tolerate changes. I'm not one of those people. It's like it has to be exactly like the comics. But Century and Void are like inextric but inextricably connected. So I guess you would if they had changed the name.
Speaker 4: Oh I'm saying if they made her both Century and Void.
Speaker 7: Oh oh yeah, I wouldn't have been able to tolerate that. I guess that's like that's one step too far. Like I don't know where the lines are right, but it would be like what if you what if you made like this other human being who's not Bruce Banner the Hulk, which again, like comics have done lots of other Hulks and lots of other people, but I'm talking like original the Hulk. Like no, then just like make it one of the other characters, is how I would be.
Speaker 3: Like it would be like if after Iron Man two they gave Tony Stark Super Soldier Saramon. They were like, he's also Captain America. Now it's like an established character who has this storyline, and now it's also going to be this.
Speaker 7: Other Yeah, it's it's it's tough, I know, Matthew, Like where you're trying to go with the question and of like dealing with with the gender issue of it all. But ultimately like these are these are ips that have to they have to but.
Speaker 4: They yeah, there's a larger narrative that they Yeah.
Speaker 7: It's it's hard for me to disconnect that and this.
Speaker 4: Walking out of the movie theater, I said to my partner, who had seen the movie with why didn't they just make it all about Elaine's emotional journey? Why not have her be the one who gets sort of inner depression, gets talked into this be a hero thing by Val and then has the crash. And then once I realized that because I having watched it, I had no idea that Void's century was a thing, And when coming out of it, I was like, oh, okay, there's this longer thing, so plugging you Lane into it wouldn't quite make sense. But yeah, that's that's kind of where the question came from, and that that's.
Speaker 7: Like the MCU of it, right. They have to like get to a certain point within the next X movies of like introducing certain characters that they know they're going to want to have and like the big crossovers.
Speaker 3: So see, for me, like I I don't care about this at all, Like I've read comics with him, but never like you know, that's never been my focus in Marvel, So I don't have Like there are plenty of characters who I would be like, no, but that's not how it is in the comics. Like I very relatable feelings there, but Sentry is just not one of them for me, and neither is Yolena. That the way this movie is structured, like it would have to be a completely different movie. It would not be like just a case of like that climax is different like that, among other things, we'd have to introduce the idea that Elena has been subjected to intrusive medical experiments, which I don't don't really want to introduce here, ye, or like you know, you can, like there are other ways you could, you know, if you're totally decoupling the whole narrative of Bob Sentry Void, then you can find other ways, some other mcguffin that triggers her turning into the void. But for me, I still go ahead, go ahead. I still think it remains her movie the whole way through. I do not think I did not watch that movie and feel like it became Bob's movie, Like, among other things, in that climax, we go through three different memories of Yolena's that are like horrible traumatic memories. We glimpse part of Bob's through a crack in the floor, like we don't we don't get his story because this isn't his story. And I to me, there's two halves to Yolena's journey and or to her to her being able to start healing, and the first half of that is Alexi reaching out to her, and the second half of that is her reaching out to someone else, and they are equally im important. Like I think the fact that she chooses to do this is I don't think it's about him. I think it's about what she needs. And I can see that coming off as like it's really important for women to be nurturing or something, but that is that's just that's not the read I had on it. Like, I do think that her deliberately forging that connection is crucial to her character development in her narrative. So I do think it would be interesting to see a movie where Yolena becomes a cosmic being. I support her in those right, those journeys, but I don't think it would I don't know that it would be a worst movie, but I don't think but I don't personally feel like I need that version.
Speaker 4: Okay, now, I think that makes all the ten of sense. And this is exactly why I wanted to have conversation and I well, I was excited for you to see the movie, and Riki, I'm so glad you were able to bring so much this conversation. This has really helped me shift my perspective on the movie. Listeners, As always, we want to know what you think. We will still be collecting feedback. Like I said, we're going on hiatus for a while. I'm going to keep recording episodes and part what we want to do is have a backlog because right now, a lot of times when I record an episode, I then have to turn it around in twenty four hours and I'm trying to That's just not possible right now, and it's going to be even more impossible when I I'm trying very hard not to be the father John Walker. So yeah, so we will keep getting feedback. Let us know what you think all the informations in the show notes. Rieki Jessica, thank you both so much for being a part of this to our listeners, Thank you so much.
Speaker 3: We have