Speaker 1: We're Tarmy Lorenzo, and this is the Bitter Kitten Movie Club. Hello, Kitten's welcome back to another edition of the b k MC, a supplemental edition of the PSO where we take a look at one film per week and dissected and Lorenzo is laughing his ass off, but we're not cutting.
Speaker 2: It takes like five times.
Speaker 1: This is like the fifth time I've had the Actually it's literally only the second time.
Speaker 2: Anyway, Are we done?
Speaker 1: Feel better? Okay? Nothing but a lamp riot here at the b k MC. Okay, so it's.
Speaker 2: A lot of btr TC over that's white anyway.
Speaker 1: So this week's film is nineteen ninety five's To Die For by director Gus Vnsant, starring Nicole Kidman, Matt Dillon, Joaquin Phoenix, and a bunch of other nineties.
Speaker 2: Faces Ileana Douglas, Aleanna Douglas, Allison with a Nhim Follin or something like that.
Speaker 1: Anyway, she dropped out. She's not an actress anymore anyway. So we take a look at a film every week and just try and dissect it and talk about it and you know, and figure it out. This week's film, like I said, is to dive for and as always with the BKMC, there's a short podcast about the film that gets attached to a much longer essay about the film that will be posted on our say tom on Lorenzo dot com. So you hadn't seen the movie, yes, I want to start off. I want to toss to you because we have very different experiences of this film. I admitted last week I think I had never seen this film. I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I wasn't avoiding this film, but for some reason it slipped through the cracks and I never did see it. It's one of those films that's so much a part of the culture that you almost feel like you have seen it if you even if you haven't. And so I finally sat down this week to watch it after you know, thirty one years, and I have some observations shout there were certain aspects of it. I was like, oh, I did not expect this to be that. But I want you to go first, because you have a long history with the film.
Speaker 2: Well, I when I was a little boy, a homosexual boy, I used to get I used to get together with my homosexual friends and watch movies and gush.
Speaker 3: Oh, we're not a little boy. When this movie came out.
Speaker 2: Well, well, anyway, my point is that when I was young, my.
Speaker 1: Friend even that young, all right, you should be determined to make it sound like you were fourteen years old them.
Speaker 2: And anyway, well, okay, when whenever I used to get together with my friend and watch movies, you know, and usually you know, all my gay friends who watch movies about people, you know, people like Nicole Kidman and you know, these great actresses that anyway, so I remember watching with my friends when we loved it because she was so bitchy and determined and evil and all that. So we love the movie back then. And then I watch it again, and then I watch it now for the for this, and I still love it. I think, first of all, I can't get over how gorgeous she looks because she's so young, I know, and they and it's such a great cast because that's exactly what they needed for the character, someone blonde and and you know, just blue eyed and and you know, very American looking and all that. So yeah, she's perfect for that. Although she's Australian, but anyway, it's just perfect. She's perfect for that. And I'm surprised. That not surprised, but I was pleased that she did such a great job, you know, in the beginning of her career.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 1: I mean, she was already married to Tom Cruise at that point and they had she had had several big films, but I think this was her first major solo. Yeah, and I do think. I always think of it, and I think in retrospect it's largely true that this is kind of the film that put her on the map. I mean, she was a movie star prior to this. I think she had done Far and Away with Tom Cruise at that point, but this was the film that made people realize that she's an actor. Like she can ask, she can do a good job. Okay, so my observations going into this number one, Now, these are gonna be observations. They're not criticisms, right, They're just I had an expectation going into it, and then I and I was and I'm only saying this. I wouldn't approach every film this way. I wouldn't approach a new film this way. But like I said, this film has over three decades of you know, history behind it. It's kind of an iconic part of nineties culture, in nineties cinematic cultures, So a film like that builds up a sort of mythology around it or a sort of vibe around it. And when I actually watched the film, it was very interesting to me to unpack how it did not it. I don't want to say it did not meet my expectations because that makes it sound like I was disappointed, but it did certain things that I was I didn't expect. Number one, I didn't realize like I thought her character was had a career. Like you see all the clips and everything, and you think she's some newswoman and everything, and then you watch the movie and it's like, oh no, she's not. She's not she's not what you know, what you thought she was. And that gets to my point about the film being quite a bit darker than I thought it was going to be and when and I mean, it's about a murder, so obviously it's going to be a black comedy. It's me and I don't mean that as a criticism, but it is a mean spirited movie. It takes a dim view of literally everybody in the movie. There's nobody you know, and I don't mean like, Oh, there's nobody likable in this story. It's just like I was surprised that she's dumb, Like Nicole Kidman's character is actually dumb.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think that's That's great about her character is that she's very driven, you.
Speaker 3: Know, like, but she's not smart.
Speaker 2: She's not mark when she's in Florida, for example, you know that scene that she doesn't.
Speaker 1: Get she doesn't get what yeah, what the guy say?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: The felloped it.
Speaker 1: In like ten seconds because none of it was planned out or anything.
Speaker 2: But I do like that. I do like and I think the movie makes fun of everybody, you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean that's what I mean about it being mean spirited, literally everybody. I thought it was mean about those teenagers, but I think a movie made. One of the things I want to unpack today is is what if this movie was made today?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And I think.
Speaker 1: I think a movie in twenty twenty six dealing with the same same topic, I think would take a more sympathetic view of those teenagers. I don't think the film is unsympathetic to them, because it's very clear that these kids.
Speaker 3: Have no chance.
Speaker 2: But that's that's the movies very much of its time. Like, you know, when we used to make fun of high school. There were a ton of movies about it, this make You Free column by Yeah, yeah, I know. So it's it wasn't going to unpack that sort of thing. And also the whole Italian thing, you know, like and it's small mind, it's small town. You have a restaurant, and you happy with your life. That's all you want. You want as opposed to her wanting to be you know, like this big, big.
Speaker 1: Tele thing about the Italian stuff. Early in the film there were references made to the Mafia, and I was like, oh, that's kind of sloppy, you know, like you wouldn't make that kind of joke. But it turns out there with an actual there was an actual tie to the Mafia near the end of the film. I mean, so, yes, the film is a lot more mean spirited than I then I originally assumed going into it. I really thought, here's what like Suzanne Stone her character. I kept thinking, you know, she exists on this continuum of like cher Horowitz and Clueless and Elle Woods illegally blonde, and even like Tracy Flick in Election where it's the nineties era or roughly turn of the century post feminist, you know, Susan Faludi's backlash, where it's like all of these super girly characters that were somewhat threatening in certain ways, even clueless. You know, she's like socially threatening. R el Woods, even though she's a heroine, she is threatening to a natural order. Tracy Flick, same thing. Now, Suzanne's stone is on a different level because she's an actual murder.
Speaker 3: Well she's not a murder.
Speaker 1: Well yeah, I guess she is a murderer, but esthetically she fits like she's right between cher Horowitz and l Woods in terms of style, in terms of how she was dressed, in terms of the entire esthetic, and even I think Nicole Kimmens's performance, which actually does predate clueless and legally blonde. So I don't I can't say that she influenced those performances, but you can see them. You can just see them in her sort of wide eyed, perky sort of sociopathy and the and in the outfits, the the little pink suits and the polka dots and all of the pastels that she wears. So, like I said, I what makes her different from those characters is that she's dumb, none of those other like those other blonde post feminist characters were all very very smart, but she's actually dumb, which again I think is of its time, because I think the assumption is, you know, pre l Woods, that a character like that would have to be dumb. There you didn't have a cinematic example of a smart, devious, girly, pastel wearing blonde. So I thought that part was interesting. I thought it was interesting that the kids were that the script is so mean to those kids. And I this is not a criticism, but I think if this film was made in twenty twenty six, it have way more of a gay sensibility to it. Gus Vansayan is a gay director, and it's not that his gayness doesn't inform his aesthetic or his work. There is camp in his work, and there's clearly camp in this film, but it is such a subdued nineties form of camp, whereas I feel like if someone were to make this film in twenty twenty six, it would be all glitter and drag queens, which would not be an improvement. And then the other thing is I did think it was there's like no queer people in the movie at all, and that's just a consequence of it being made in nineteen ninety five, and there's no need to be queer people in the story. However, the teenage girl, there's some implication.
Speaker 2: That she's a lesbian.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and then the sister.
Speaker 1: The sister has this female friend who's in the background, and it's a very nineties way of alluding to queerness without actually and I wonder if modern audiences would even catch those references. But in nineteen ninety five, gay people would look at that and go, oh, his sister's a lesbian, right, you know.
Speaker 2: I remember at the time when I saw the movie, what everyone talked about was like how fabulous she was, Nicole Kidman, and how the character, how fabulous the character was, and how mean she was, how bitch that she was, and everybody loved it. Oh yeah, of course she's losse incredible and she's mean to everybody, so of course everybody's gonna like that. Car. I think it's interesting. I think there's so many elements. I think the movie is very witty too. I mean, there's like the drops things here and there, Like the beginning of the movie, for example, when you have all the news about what happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the opening montage, it's beautiful. It's really really well done. I mean it really forces you to sit there and pay attention to the credits.
Speaker 2: And when they talk about now you need to see the whole picture, and they kind of pixelate everything and then to the point that it's just one big circle. And she wears a lot of polka dots. So I think that's interesting that her costumes had polka dot and you know, they emphasize the fact that sometimes you two in into it, right, that you don't see the big picture.
Speaker 1: I do think the polka dots were an interesting costume design motile, right, And I think you're right. I think that does refer to the pixelated pictures because I think, again, if this film we're made today, she'd be in sequence, she'd be in outrageous florals, and she'd almost certainly be in designer clothes, even though that character cannot afford designer clothes. And I did think the costume designer made a really interesting choice that was very nineties, which is that she's clearly wearing.
Speaker 3: Off the rack clothes.
Speaker 1: They're cheap looking, the fabrics don't look expensive, and things don't actually fit her that well, like some of those jackets don't actually fit her that well. Now that's all deliberate, like it's not. Of course, if a character's wearing a poorly fitted outfit, it's not because someone failed at their job. It's because they're trying to say something about them. And I think it again, if this movie were made in twenty twenty six, a costume designer would be sourcing all of these Chanel pieces and there would be like some oh, she got it on the real reel or something to sort of explain it.
Speaker 2: But I do like that she wears these fail thing Yeah, these eye popping looks.
Speaker 1: That, to be quite honest, not to you know, toot our horn. But not everyone's going to notice that those are actually cheap clothes. And that's a subtle bit of work on the part of the costume designer, whose name I don't have in front of me, but she will actually be mentioned in the post. I did look her up. All right, I want to unpack a few other nineties isms. But why don't we take a short break and come back, Yes, all right, we'll be right back. We're back, and we're talking about nineteen ninety five.
Speaker 3: Is to die for.
Speaker 1: And I want to get into some of the other cast members. But before we do that, I did want to unpack another bit of history or an example of how the film is very much of its time but at the same time very very forward looking. One thing that I was struck by in the film. Again, this goes to what did I think this film was about? And then you watch it and you're like, oh, okay, that's not quite what I thought it was about. Like I really thought it was about tabloid television. I thought, like this story exploded on the news, but it's actually a very small story that actually basically goes nowhere. It never goes outside of its hometown. I know there's a lot of newsy stuff at the beginning of it, but I think no.
Speaker 2: Towards the end of the movie, the Lydia, the character, she gets invited to all these TV show that's.
Speaker 1: Right, that's right, you're right, you're right, you're right.
Speaker 2: I hope I get some of the some diet tips.
Speaker 1: From the right now it does. I guess I thought it was going to be on camera, like all the tabloid stuff happens outside of the story, and I thought it was literally a movie about the tabloid stuff, so that was a little surprising to me, and I kept, uh, you know, there were scenes in her living room, in you know, her and Matt Dyllan's living room, and in their parents' various living rooms, and in the bar actually, where people are turning on the TV because of course the story's got yeah and it's those big boxing nineties TVs. And I'm like, oh wow, this really was a long time ago. And I'm pointing that out because her whole arc, her whole philosophy, Suzanne is like, you're nobody in America unless you're on TV, and that is not true anymore. That is because TV is a dying I mean, thirty one years later, TV is pretty much dying as and if you want to be famous, you just look into your phone and start shooting yourself.
Speaker 2: But she's still right.
Speaker 3: I mean, oh no, she predicted it. Don't get me wrong.
Speaker 2: The whole line is Lydia character says. It's then used to say that you're not really anybody in America unless you're on TV, because what's the point of doing anything worthwhile if there's nobody watching it.
Speaker 1: Now, that's social that's social media today.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember watching it again, it was like, Wow, that's social media now.
Speaker 1: But the thing is, that's what's crazy about that line is there was no way to predict social media in nineteen ninety five. So it wasn't someone, it wasn't the screenwriter Buck Henry being forward thinking. It's just I guess what you're looking at is the last gaps of twentieth century fame seeking and how it evolved before it evolved into what it became in the twenty first century. So it really the film serves as like a document of a time period and a lifestyle. No one's pursuing this life anymore. People are pursuing fame, but not like not by being a local weather girl. No one thinks of doing it that way anymore.
Speaker 2: No, it's very specific of the time that if you wanted to be Suzanne famous, like Suzanne wanted, you would have to do movie TV, right, You have to be on your TV or a movie theater.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Today, all you need to do is have a phone and in a social account, social media account, and then you're famous.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yes, am I wrong?
Speaker 1: I mean god, Suzan Stone would have loved the Ring Light.
Speaker 2: Let me tell you, I imagine her now so yeah, it should.
Speaker 3: Be an influencer.
Speaker 1: Now she'd be like a like a right wing influencer. How much you want to bet?
Speaker 2: And then it's interesting because the line, I mean, the quote continues and she says, so when people are watching, it makes you a better person, and that is so my god.
Speaker 3: I mean, that does predict social media right right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I do want to point out Buck Henry is the screenwriter. He also plays the high school teacher, and you know, he's the screenwriter of the legendary the graduate. He's he's a writer of long standing and he's very, very witty. He writes great screenplays, this one included. But I did sit there thinking as I was watching, I was like, oh, so this is a lot wittier than it's witty. It has a whit to it. And again not a criticism, but you know a couple of times the teenagers would say something that was just a little too witty for those characters to say. And again that's the film. That's that's the style of film where you're it's all poor people in this rundown town. But every once in a while, some of them, one of them comes out of a line that they probably would not have come up with on their own.
Speaker 2: I yeah, I find those movies very interesting. I love movies about small towns and someone trying to get the.
Speaker 1: Hell out of trying to get that well that's your line, or.
Speaker 2: Mean famous, trying to be not that I'm famous, but anyway, I just love that because it's interesting, because it's not that there's anything wrong with the way people live, you know. In fact, I think that fame and all that it's extremely overrated. You can be happy having a small lives quote unquote small life. So I love movies about that. I like Jenni's Moretto's character, for example, because she's so cynical about the whole thing. She understands, you know, that's my life and you're an idiot. But I just love that. And Eleana Doug was just such a great job she is.
Speaker 1: I think she actually is like the movie's secret weapon, right. I think she cuts to a lot of the silliness of the movie and the bullshit of the movie.
Speaker 3: I love.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously the scene of her skating at end. This is what I when I say the film doesn't have a heavy camp factor, I cannot claim that it doesn't have any camp factor. Because her ice skating and that silly pink outfit at the end is.
Speaker 2: Hilarious, and she did all the ice skating.
Speaker 3: Well, you can see it.
Speaker 1: I said that we were watching and I was like, that's all in one take. That's really her ice skating.
Speaker 2: She said. She said that when she was cast she didn't know how to ice skate, but she said she did, she knew it, and then when they pick her, she took lessons and she said she worked really hard for six months. And she said the reason why she wanted to do the scene is because the whole movie is kind of documentary style kind of movie, and there was no way they're going to just put somebody there and then back to her.
Speaker 1: I have to admit I didn't know that either. The whole right right documentary style thing, and it's sort of in a pistolary style movie work because they're not all talking to the same way. They're all talking to actually different.
Speaker 2: Camera For example, you know that she's it's the whole movie is hurt pretty much party much.
Speaker 1: But yeah, they all were talking to different camera crews for different production So I guess it does get into the tabloid TV thing. I guess what I I assumed there'd be a lot of like cable TV graphics and that sort of nineties stuff. But like I said, this movie predates. It doesn't predate the oj trial, but it was. They were shooting it during the trial.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was doing reading some behind the scenes stuff and apparently the scene of that long shot of Joaquin Phoenix in the in the interview room at the prison or whatever, he was sitting at the table and all the lights were on him and he couldn't see pass the lights to the crew, so he was like, Okay, I'm ready, I'm ready, And it turns out nobody was there because they had all gone to another room to watch the jury verdict and he was sitting there waiting. Anyway, I do I love that this film is so much so in that mix. It's so you can't not think of the Menendez brothers or OJ or or you know, the Pamela Smart trial is that this story was based on. Although I don't really remember that trial all that much.
Speaker 2: It's just great and it's it's it's sharp, it's smart, it is it is very witty.
Speaker 1: I find it witty, and I do think if you wanted to show it to say a young person to this is what the nineties was like. Okay, just so you know, nobody had cell phones, nobody was on the computer, but this is how people pursued fame and whatever.
Speaker 2: I loved the whole local new thing.
Speaker 1: I mean it was even that's the thing I thought it was. And it's like they didn't even have that. She was just some you know, practically a volunteer and everyone.
Speaker 2: It's great way night playing the guy.
Speaker 1: The kurtwood Smith, I know, everybody's so young, just all of these like nineties nineties faces.
Speaker 3: Matt Dellon who I had.
Speaker 1: A huge crush on when I was younger, gorgeous in that phone, and he's always good at playing these sort of dumb guys, dumb gorgeous guys.
Speaker 2: Everybody.
Speaker 3: Yeah, who else?
Speaker 2: Holland Taylor. I forgot she's in a movie. Holland Taylor.
Speaker 3: Yeah, in a movie. She always plays someone's wasp, that's all she's.
Speaker 2: I completely forgot she was in a movie.
Speaker 1: But yeah, just a fun little snapshot of nineteen ninety five and what we were all worried about and what we were all thinking about. I think, inadvertently a rather sharp prediction of where we were headed.
Speaker 2: Right, I agree. Like I said, I hadn't watched the movie in a long long time, so I said to watch it again. And when she talked about the whole you know, you nobody if you're not showing what you're doing, right, I was like, oh my god, yeah, social media right there.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but yeah, just a sharp good thing.
Speaker 2: Oh.
Speaker 1: The other thing I wanted to note is that, like I said, this role I think put Nicole Kimmen on the map as an actress, and she got a lot of acclaim for it. I think she won the Golden Globe.
Speaker 2: Did she Yeah, I don't remember.
Speaker 3: I don't believe.
Speaker 1: I don't believe she was nominate bernoscar I could be wrong about that, But watching the film, I thought, you know, she's very very good in this, but she is a much better actress now.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, of course, which I guess.
Speaker 1: Does go without saying. But you can just see what thirty years of experience does for an actress. Same thing with the Joaquin Phoenix, And I will go so far as to say that I don't actually think he's all that good in a He's good in some scenes, uh huh. The scene where he breaks down crying is is he's very good. Certain other scenes he does that thing. And again he was only like nineteen years old at the time. He does that thing where if you're playing in I mean, the film doesn't really come down on either side of whether his character James is just dumb or whether he's like literally developmentally disabled. But let's go with developmentally disabled. And he plays this he does that thing that some actors do where to play a developmentally disabled person they just speak really really slow, as if they were a little drunk. Again, and that's the time that's not It just didn't have I was like, right, I'm not getting the impression that there's nothing going on in this guy's head. I'm getting the impression that you're trying to convey that there's nothing going just just to.
Speaker 2: Run a couple. She won Golden Globe Awards, a Critic Choice Awards, the New York Film Critics Circle Awards. She won a lot of things for this. Yeah. I remember at the time everyone talking about it because she did such a great job.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was big at the time for.
Speaker 1: Her and probably well, I mean probably eyes wide shut. She was the hottest she ever was, But this was probably the second hottest she ever was on film. She was really hot and it's so not ring Nicole Kidman role does play dumb women, that's I mean, she just doesn't not anymore. So to see her playing like essentially a dumb blonde was kind of funny to see. It's just unexpected.
Speaker 2: I think it's it's an intelligent, funny and waity take of television of the time. You know, driven being driven and wanted to be famous and wanted to be on TV because you know, you're you're somebody if you're on TV. And like I said, it was TV and movies if you wanted to be somebody. Yeah, well now you know you just needed to sit a light in.
Speaker 1: A ring light and the phone. All right, I think we have beaten this one to death, no pun intended.
Speaker 3: We will be back. Well, it's Memorial.
Speaker 1: Day weekend in the States. We'll try and get some sort of podcast out next week. We don't actually have a movie on the roster for next week, but maybe we'll figure something out by Tuesday. Until then, take care of yourself, love you mean it, have a great holiday if here in America, and we'll be back next week.
Speaker 2: Bye bye bye,