Speaker 1: It's nice eyes.
Speaker 2: Unknown, Boston's news radio. Kyle Bray great radio name short, sweet, sweet, two monosyllab syllables like Dan Ray, Kyle Bray, really good, Thanks, Kyle, appreciated a whole lot. Good evening. Everyone in welcome and no excuse me. This is where's the week one? It's a Thursday night edition of Nightside. I was just talking with Rob Brooks, our producer, and how disappointing that loss was today. The Red Sox ace getting dusted up a little bit in the first two winnings by a team from Seattle that does not really I think threaten too many pitchers, but they got to him early today and they hung on. So hey, there's still one game above five hundred, that's for sure. My name is Dan Ray. I'm the host of Nightside, and as we do every year, I would like to just acknowledge this today as Armenian Remembrance Day. The White House today released a statement that on this day of remembrance, we again joined the great Armenian community in America and around the world in mourning the many lives that were lost every year. On April twenty fourth, we reflect on the strong and enduring ties between the Armeric between the American and Armenians people, Armenian peoples. We're proud of the American Committee for Armenia and Syrian Relief, a groundbreaking effort established in nineteen fifteen that provided crucial humanitarian support to Armenian refugees, and grateful to the thousands of Americans who contributed a volunteer to help the Armenians expel from their homes. And again, there's a lot of good that goes on in the world, but obviously there's a lot of bad that goes on in the world. And so we remember Armenian Remembrance Day today, twenty twenty five. We have a lot of listeners and a lot of folks in the Greater Boston community of Armenian heritage, and several of them are good friends of mine. So that acknowledgment was for everyone in the Armenian community. We have four guests scheduled this hour, and one of the guests is joining us right now, Samantha Joseph. Samantha Joseph the Anti Defamation League New England's regional director. And so we moved from the way Armenians were treated to the way Jewish people are still being treated. Last year, twenty twenty four, apparently there was a record number of anti Semitic incidents here in New England. So to switt this up for us, Samantha Joseph joins us, Samantha, welcome. I'm sorry that we have to focus on such a negative story, but I think we have to kind of shine the light on this sort of behavior which, for some reason just doesn't seem to want to go away.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Tell us about I guess the anti Semitic incidents here in New England sad to say, for the fifth year in a row, all previous annual records. I mean, this is in the wake of what happened on October seventh, twenty twenty three. Anything I would think that that would have reversed that trend. Tell us about it.
Speaker 3: Yes, October seventh was definitely a watershed moment here in America for anti Semitic incidents, even though they have been on the rise for the last five years, and we're seeing attitudes towards antisemitism, you know, changing in very concerning in negative ways. The amount of incidents after October seventh is really unprecedented. We've seen almost double the number in twenty twenty four that we had in twenty twenty two. The very concerning you know, Jewish people are really being targeted, and it's really scary for all of us.
Speaker 2: So give us a quick rundown if you will. And again, I don't want to make this like a baseball box score, but are we talking about confrontations? Are we talking about people's grawling, you know, chalk on the sidewalk? How you know? I hate to put it like this, but how bad is it? I mean, any form event of anti Semitism is virulent. Clearly everyone knows that, and we talk about it a lot here on the show. Sarah Kolb has bet a guest on this show. Yes, many times, as as Jeff Robbins. I have seen a lot of anti semitism in this country metastasized towards the American left. But this report would suggest that there is a resurgence of anti Semitism coming from white racial groups which identify as being on the far right. Tell us about that.
Speaker 3: Yes, there's a lot of different forms of anti semitism here in Massachusetts end around the country. We do have a significant amount of white supremacist extremist activity. That accounts for eighty one of the incidents that took place, so you know, almost a quarter of them. For example, you know, there were flyers saying to boycott Jewish businesses that you know, were that we traced directly to the Patriot Front and other white supremacist groups. They're also attacked. You know, I would say mostly vandalism is you know, one of their key tactics, although there is some harassment and threats as well. We've in addition to vandalism, well, we do see a lot of harassment, particularly on college campuses. In Massachusetts, college incidents really skyrocketed. They were up eighty six percent from twenty three to twenty four, with almost one hundred and fifty one.
Speaker 2: Well, I don't know if you saw what was going on down in new Haven, Connecticut, on the campus at Yale yesterday, but it was disgusting. There are a group of people who linked their arms to prevent Jewish students from traversing the campus and getting to classes and getting to libraries and all of that. Obviously, these these wackadoodle right wing groups, which seems to seem to me, I know that there's something that needs They need to be watched and monitored. But it's like the twenty same their twenties losers who form one group and then morph into another. We got to watch those. But what's going on in college campuses? When I saw that yesterday at Yale there was a student who was not being permitted by other students and he didn't he didn't initiate any confrontation, but it was appalling, particularly at Yale University, you know, the second most prestigious IVY League college in the IVY League, the first, of course being Harvard, which has their own sets of issues. This is writing stuff and you don't have to be Jewish and I am not Jewish. I happen to be Roman Catholic. You don't have to be Jewish to be concerned about it, because we learned from the Holocaust. Starts with one group, then another group, and then another group, and then eventually it's your group. So yeah, this is this is a warning that we need to talk about and I'll give you a final word on it. If this. If you want to mention how people can show some support to the ADL, that's fine as well, go right ahead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, absolutely, I mean what we saw at Yale and you know a number of college campuses that's not legitimate criticism of Israel, which we don't count as anti semitism, right, that is harassment targeted at Jewish students, preventing them from moving around campus. You know, it's very very clear. You know, you know it when you see it. I just want to encourage people that if they experience an incident of antisemitism, that they report it to ADL. The numbers drive policy, right, that's how we make decisions and legislative change, and so we want to be of service to the community and help protect Jewish and all and all members of the community. So just please don't hesitate to reach out if you experience.
Speaker 2: It, and if they would like to get in touch with the New England chapter of the Anti Defamation League. What's the easiest website that you'd like to give.
Speaker 3: It's eighty L dot org slash report Incident and it's very easy. You just really google ADL incident.
Speaker 2: Well, you know, keep up the good work and keep up the fight. I think it's a fight that sadly is going to continue. I wish that we could wave a magic wand and make it go away. But there's a lot of hatred and a lot of ignorance on both ends of the extreme flanks of our political spectrum, and it's not healthy for anyone. It's certainly not healthy for those that purvey this stuff. I mean, I just can't imagine how people can put their heart on their pillow at night and saying, oh, I did something really good, jineers, I scrawled a swatstick on the side of a building or on a sidewalk. I mean, if that's what you'll life is all about, it's a pretty empty life. Samantha. Thank you very much for your time tonight, and keep up the good work. And please say hi to everyone if you talk to Jeff Robbins. Yeah, we'll do.
Speaker 3: Thank you so much for raising raising awareness about this very welcome.
Speaker 2: When we come back, we're going to talk about a really great nonprofit. It's a simple idea, but it is a it's an idea that really does help people. Simple, simplistic, I guess, or it's simplicity, but it's very effective. It's called One Warm Coat, a national nonprofit dedicated to providing free coach to children and adults in need. We'll be talking with the president and CEO of One Warm Coat right after this break on Nightside, and I would once again remind you that if you get a chance, if you haven't brought the iHeart app onto your devices, just go on. It's a new and improved app. It also really gives you access to what we call some of the webcast. The podcast that iHeart has just won a whole bunch of what they call Webby Awards. This is what they call the Oscars of the Internet. iHeartMedia was officially named the Podcast Company of the Year with a whopping fourteen wins. Want to hear some of those award winning podcasts, just open up the free iHeart Radio app. Dive into our fantastic collection. Part of that collection, of course, are the nightly Nightside podcast that Rob Brooks posts right after the program. So if you miss any hour of Nightside the next day, when I say the next day, by two three o'clock in the morning, Rob has the show from the prior night post it. He does a great job at that very important You can on the way to work listen to whatever hour you know when podcast forms. So there's no commercials, well there's some commercials, but not the commercials you heard during the during the program, and there's no newscast, so it's about forty five minutes or so. It get you caught up on Nightside or anyone of the iHeart podcast. The good thing about pulling down the iHeart app it's so easy to do number one, even I was able to do it. But number two, it keeps put you in contact wherever you are in the world. Anywhere in the world, Australia, the polar Ice Gap, as long as there's internet service there, you'll be able to check us out and you can make WBZ your first preset and we no more than a figuretip away. You can be in Antarctica, you can be in the North Pole with Santa Claus and the elves, and you can get to us three hundred and sixty five days a year, twenty four seven. Check it out and do it back on Nightside.
Speaker 4: Right after this, you're on Night Side with Dan Ray on WBZ, Boston's news Radio.
Speaker 2: All right, welcome back everyone. There's a lot of charities that we talk about here on Nightside, and a lot of them they're all very valuable ideas, but every once in a while you come across one that really does strike you as a brilliant idea. And with us is Beth Amadillo. She's the president and CEO of One Warm Coade. Beth, welcome to Nightside. How are you tonight.
Speaker 5: I'm doing great. Thanks so much for having me Dan.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think we've profiled this charity before. I'm not sure if it was with you or not. But tell us about One Warm Coat. I mean, the name itself, the three words One Warm Coat describes exactly what this wonderful organization is all about. Go right ahead.
Speaker 5: So, thirty three years ago, one woman who had one coat she wanted to donate started an annual coat drive in San Francisco, and it's grown from that one drive to now every year we will have thousands of coat drives across the country and we're able to collect and distribute more than half a million coats every year. And at the same time that it's providing warmth to children and adults who really need it, it's also keeping a lot of gently worn outerwear from being thrown away.
Speaker 2: Very important. You know, that's a double benefit. So describe to us you're not looking necessarily for, you know, Brooks Brothers, Tweed coats and tuxedos, you know, and that have to be in premo condition. You don't want things that are raggedy or give us what the standard is. Some people can go through their closets and say, yeah, I haven't won that coat in ten years, which exactly what is the quality that a lot of times, matter of fact, some of the stuff you haven't won in ten years is in better shape than the stuff that you wear every day.
Speaker 5: Frankly, exactly, we're not super choosy, except that we want the items to be clean and to have no holes or tears or stains. So I always say, you know, if you wouldn't put it on your kids to send them to school, don't donate it. There's other programs for that. There's textile recycling programs where you can donate textiles that just really aren't enough shape to be worn by someone else. But the cool thing is that we really we need everything. We need everything from like your light windbreakers and rain jackets for this time of year, to really thick, heavy coats. And I know you're in Boston where it gets very cold, so really anything in all ages, so from infants to four X and men's coats, women's coats and everything in between.
Speaker 2: So it must be you must have a website. I assume where people were in Boston. You have collection sites design understand that all over the country. Explain to us how what do you do with it? Do you bring the collect these some of the boxes you see or do you have to bring them to a location and actually hand them to a person and you've got to figure out where those locations are.
Speaker 5: Yes, so we always say those kind of three ways that people can engage with us. The easiest way is, like you mentioned, to clean out your closets, clean out out your spouse's closets, your kids closets. I have two teenage boys who outgrow their coats every single year and set us aside. You can go to our website, which is just one warmcoat dot org and search by zip code or by city or state to find places near you where you can drop them off. This time of year, there aren't as many, but we do have fifteen hundred local nonprofit partners across the country who are accepting coats year round, and we do have several of those in the Boston metropolitan area. And then as the season gets colder, as we get towards fall and back to school time, and then on into the holiday season, more and more coat drives will be taking place. And that's when it gets really fun too, because we have a lot of national retail partners like Land's End and j Crewe and some upscale ones like Todd Snyder and McCaw where if you take a coat to donate, you'll actually get a discount on a new coat, sometimes as much as one hundred dollars off, So that's kind of yes, So it's really great. So that's the easiest way to participate. The second way that is for people who hear this and think that sounds amazing and I have so many coats, and I bet my friends and neighbors or colleagues or people let my church have a bunch of coats too. Is we have thousands of volunteers across the country who organize coat drives for us. And those can be again like with your student school, with your neighborhood, at your place of business, and you can go on to our website and there's a button that says organize a coat drive, and you sign up and we just provide you all the resources you need, even press releases so that you can let your local community know social media posts, even your own website so that you can promote it and share that website through email. So we provide all these resources for free just to try to get people involved in giving back in their local community and to make sure that we keep people warm, but before the temperatures drop.
Speaker 2: That sounds great. So the easiest thing just one warm Coode dot org and use your address or your town or use zip code. It will direct you to places locations where you can drop off. And if you really want to get involved, you can. You can jump jump into the deep end of the pool and organize a drive yourself and look it just it just makes so much sense. Thanks so much for joining us. Thank How long have you been doing this, Beth, You've been doing this a while.
Speaker 5: I've been doing this seven years, and I really love it. I love seeing how how happy the people are who receive the codes, but I also love seeing how excited the people are who help donate the and just feeling of making a very tangible impact.
Speaker 2: Well, it's great all fifty states. We're much more than a Boston radio station. We're heard throughout most of the eastern half of the US and once the sun goes down, and so we have a lot of listeners in different states. You have three eight and three coke drives in communities across all fifty states. So as you can see, folks, you're talking about probably anywhere on an average sixty seventy eighty coat drives, no matter what state you'll live in. Obviously more yeah, you know, I few were maybe in Rhode Island, but yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: And you know what's surprising is we actually have coat dards even in Florida for rain gear and things like that, so absolute any in the country.
Speaker 2: I mean, there's probably a few umbrellas that get contributed as well down there. Beth, thank you very much for your time tonight. Great organization, simple, straight to the point everybody can understand it. Thanks so much for joining yes tonight, Thanks for what you do.
Speaker 5: Thank you for having me.
Speaker 2: You're welcome. Got a couple of books that we're going to introduce you to. The next one is about living a connected life with yourself and with others. We'll talk with a PhD named Seth cop called Copuld. He's written a book, and then later on we're going to talk about please unsubscribe. Thanks, how to take back our time, attention and purpose and a world designed to bury us in BS. We will explain it all coming up on the other side of the news right here on night Side. It is a Thursday night, going to be a nice day tomorrow, little rain on Saturday, and we're going to have a very nice day on Sunday. We'll be right back.
Speaker 5: It's Nightside's news Radio.
Speaker 2: With us is Seth Copald. He's a PhD AS certified Internal Family System practitioner and author. He has a new book called Self Led Living a Connected Life with yourself and with Others. Seth, I'd love to know what this one's all about, because I think I know, but I don't. Dare say, go right ahead and tell us. Congratulations on the book and tell us tell us what the theory, what the premise of the book is.
Speaker 6: Yeah, thank you so much for having me. First of all, welcome. So yeah, So this book is based on internal family systems, which believes we all have various parts of us that have different perspectives and take us over. We have protection like defensiveness, anxiety, worry. We also have other parts in us that hold, you know, beliefs, about ourselves that are kind of locked away, that hold beliefs like I'm not good enough or too much or too little. And we also we believe we have like a centered core self which is not something that could be damaged. And the way the model works is the self I work with people to help their's so be with all of these parts, kind of like the which Richard Swartz, who founded the model, came up with the idea of a orchestra in the self. It's like the conductor where we work with each musician or each part within us to kind of play in harmony. So if you worry a lot, or you're anxious, you're not talking.
Speaker 2: You're not talking about you know, if the physical, you're not talking about your shoulder and your knee and your ankle. Everybody understands that either in order to run, you have to you know, push off, and you know that you have to your your joints have to work together. You can't you can't get too far exercising or whatever if you're not willing to work. But you're talking about internal items in internal aspects, right.
Speaker 6: I would think of it like various personalities within you. And you know, some people are concerned what used to be called multiple personalities or just so disorder. It's not that that's a that's a very extreme version, but we find that it's natural for people to have many perspectives, like, you know, I want to have dessert when you if I say, hey, do you want to have dessert? How many different voices do you have in your head? When says I have one?
Speaker 2: It says, it says, it says absolutely yes, what time and where?
Speaker 6: Right? Well, a lot of people then would have a follow up part that I do. I'm gonna feel bad, right, I'm gonna then you eat the cake, and then you have a part that bashes you.
Speaker 2: You know. Sometimes I don't have those parts. But yeah, I understand the point you're making, But thank god I don't have those parts. Yeah, that's a guilt thing. Okay, I mean that's a guilt. I loved eating that that dunk and don't but I really probably shouldn't. Sometimes that happens, you know, but most for me, most for me, it doesn't. What about the what about the different emotions? Okay? Are you talking about emotions? For example, you get angry you're driving your car and then someone cuts you off and you have a surge of anger, and then your more rational self says, you know, what are you doing this for? I mean, you're gonna, you know, follow the guy and cut him off. I mean, is that kind of what you're talking about? The little voices in your head that you know exactly? You know, when when I was in Catholic school, this little boy, we were told that we had a guardian angel. There was a good angel and a bad angel on your shoulders, and one angel was whispered, go ahead, eat that jelly, don't it no problem, and the bad angel was in all if you do that? Is it kind of similar to or is I assume it's a little more sophisticated than.
Speaker 6: That, But it's basically that like we have oftentimes, we have protect our parts that protect us right, and when somebody cuts us off, you might have an initial feeling like this person has no respect for me, or this person has no or created fear in my system. But then another part comes in that doesn't want us to feel those feelings, and it comes in with rage or comes in with anger, and you could, like you said, you can even watch yourself being angry, thinking, man, I can't believe I'm actually saying this, I make the joke sometimes, like I have a part that say don't say it, don't say it, and blam, I say it and I'm like, oh.
Speaker 2: Why did I say it?
Speaker 6: You know, and we can't take those those messages back. But the thing is is that, But there's.
Speaker 2: Also and again I'm you know, everybody knows the whole thing of of a fight or flight. You know, you're walking down the street and you see someone who is acting a little strange, okay, and most of us are empathetic, but if the person is really acting out. I'm talking about that person who's screaming and yelling and howling at the moon. We probably most of us, even if we're nice, are not life going and say hey, Parl, what's going on? How's your day going? I mean, you know, that's just a sense of self preservation. I guess. Is that also part of what you're talking about?
Speaker 6: Well, you know, when if we reacted firmly set boundaries, was very clear, collected and cool headed, you might say ourself also has courage confidence like that could be a natural state. But if you just went off the wall and hurt the person, or if you like, you know, like cowered in the corner that you might say, those are parts of you like younger parts might cower. So there is You're right, there is a natural reaction that's in our brain that would cause a fight or flight. But oftentimes there's various parts of us that get involved in how we end up responding. And basically my book is about, like you notice, we often could be hurtful to our partners. So my book talks about how do you do this at work, at home with your kids, you know, in spirituality even like who's praying right and who's begging for something inside of you? But the idea is if we could be with these parts and listen to them, the more centered we are, we tend to have better relationships because we don't say things and hurt people and are not We're not as selfish, we're not as controlling, we're not as like overly helping.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think at different times during the day, people react to different things differently, And I suspect if people were honest with themselves, uh, and they looked in the mirror that say, well, I was nice at this point during the day, but I was not nice at this point during the day. I know my own idiosyncrasies that I sometimes get frustrated when I see people who just are what I call oblivious and I'm just not even aware of the world around them, and they could care less and uh, and they're impacting other people's day. You know, you're you're in a in aupermarket and you're going trying to get you know, you know, through the It's not like the highlight of your day. So you've got to go down this aisle, this aisle, pick up this, pick up that. And there's someone who has the aisle blocked because instead of having their carriage out of the way, it's sort of like in an angle, so no one can go either way. And they're standing there looking at key and p's and trying to figure out which one they want to buy, and you know, you want to scream, you know, but you can't do that. And so my solution to that is when I walk by that person in a very soft voice, I simply get it out of my system and I use one of my favorite words, oblivious, and I say it so that they don't hear it, but it I know it penetrates their mind, you know, and that calms me down. Now I don't know if that's a good thing to do or a bad thing to do. But you're the psychiatrist, I'm not go ahead, Well I'm.
Speaker 6: Not a psychiatrist. But if you were one of my clients and we were like coaching you with this model, I don't do it. Yes, like I got interested with therapist.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 6: Get to know I can help you. Get to know this part of you who says that, and it will probably say something like basically it's like almost like a meditative thing where I have you okay, the part of you that says oblivious, Can we talk to it? Let it tell you how is it trying to help you? And he might say I'm trying to get a message across without comsanes scene. Yes, you know, like I'm helping you, where other people they they kind of say something that does create a scene, right Yeah.
Speaker 2: No, No, I never do that because normal normally I feel sorry for the person. But at the same time, it's like you've cost me thirty seconds here, I haven't so did you interrupted? You You finally recognized that something that you're tying someone else up, and you pulled your wagon out of the way, and I'm gonna go by and I'll say thank you, and then I'll just mutter under my breath, but I want them to come out subconsciously. You're oblivious, right, but I guess then I walk away. It's not like I said anything that was nasty, like you know, you're an idiot, all.
Speaker 6: Right, right? Right? No, The's a lot of people do, right, And oftentimes if somebody did come to me and say, I don't know why, but I'll yell at somebody in the grocery store, we'll get to know this part and oftentimes those protectors will say who are you protecting? And oftentimes it'll be a much younger part inside that feels like I'm not good enough or nobody cares about me, for instance. Right, So if somebody leaves the card in front of you and it triggers just no one cares about me, so the angry part has to come in and take over, and before you say anything. What's really important is to know is these parts are kind of like stuck in time, so that when we react, it's almost like we're reacting to something else in the past. That's why you most see people over reacting like this doesn't make sense that you would act this way in this situation.
Speaker 2: So so let's let's mention the book. Is the book just out or is it a been out for a while.
Speaker 6: It's been out about a year and a half.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's good. Well, we're going to try to get sell you some more books. It's called self led Living a Connected Life within yourself and with others. I assume available on Amazon and bookstores. Uh, and.
Speaker 6: Go ahead, Yeah, easy read. People say it's actually probably one of the easiest reads for an IFS book, and it's a really good introduction. And if people want to sign copy, they could just go to my website Sethcopall dot com. And I always write a little note and sign it before I mail.
Speaker 2: That Seth Coppold. So it's s E T H K O p A l D k O p A l D. All right, Seth, thank you very much. Interesting conversation. I could talk with you for hours, and I've probably been a person as a consequence. So I'm going to try to get the book and give it a read. Thank you so much.
Speaker 6: Thank you for having me appreciate you.
Speaker 2: You're very welcome. We get back. We're going to talk about another author. Please unsubscribe. This might be something that all of us will be able to relate to Back on Nightside with Julio Vincent Gimbuto. Back after this, It's Night Side with Boston's News Radio. Very good boy. All right, we are delighted to be joined by Julio Vincent Gambudo. Julio, welcome to Nightside. How are you?
Speaker 4: Thanks Dan, hello of Boston.
Speaker 3: Great to be with you.
Speaker 2: And I just want to make sure it can be Julio. Is that the correct pronunciation?
Speaker 4: Oh, Julio, it's Julio. Actually, yeah, it's Italian.
Speaker 2: Oh Julio. Okay, we got the Italian acts. Julio, Julio, Vincent Gambuto. Absolutely all right. So your book is please unsubscribe. Thanks, How to take back our time, attention, and purpose in a world designed to bury us in And I can't say the word, and I hope you won't say the word on the radio. But I think everybody knows what we're talking about. Uh, what are we talking about in the book, Julio, We're.
Speaker 4: You know, we're talking about sort of getting really aware of how these tech systems operate and kind of how the way of the world is now and you know, actively stay from it when you need to for as long as you need to do to kind of get your mind in order, because this is kind of a really different ballgame than we used to play.
Speaker 2: So what are we talking about? The unsolicited phone calls you get at dinner time, in which you know people want to sell you stuff.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I mean sort of.
Speaker 4: I think phone calls like that are certainly a part of this.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 4: You know, my work zeros in on subscriptions as a as kind of a model for our new economy and digital capitalism and how that's different than the capitalism that you and I grew up with. And uh and and and understanding what it means to really subscribe and be.
Speaker 2: Right, we're losing you here, Julia, we're losing you here. For a second. Are you Are you in a car? Are you moving around? Yeah? Pick rob, Rob will pick up, pick them up, and we'll get this cleaned up. Uh. My guest is Julio Vincent Gambudo, an author and a movie maker. Uh. And he has a new book called Please Unsubscribe. Thanks. It then has a longer subtitle, which of course we can get to. And I want to make sure that we under did we lose them there? We lost them totally. Oh okay, great, Okay, it's The Wonders of Electronics here on radio. Sorry, so let me just uh, he's this This book apparently has been well received, named the Nonfiction Pick of the Month by Barnes and Noble and last summer. Okay, Julia, you're back. I don't know. Did you go through a tunnel or something.
Speaker 4: I think maybe my phone knows what I'm talking about and it just just decided to draw.
Speaker 2: Okay, as long as you if you're in a hopefully a location where you're near a window, that's the best thing. If you're on a cell phone. Okay. So what I'm trying to say is what are we talking about. I've been with you two minutes here. I want to see what we're talking about. How to take back our time, attention, and purpose in the world designed to bury us in, you know, bad stuff. I thought when I read the title that we were talking about the junk mail you get every day that you have to throw away, the telephone calls. I get someone calling me last night. They want to I don't know, they want to sell me something about a car. I just no matter what it is, the car. I've never owned a car on my life. Please take me off your list. Someone will call up and tell you that life insurance. Oh I kind of get life insurance. Why is that because I'm suicidal? Hang up? I mean, you know, just be crazy with them. And that's because other than that they keep calling back. They do.
Speaker 4: And you know, we live in an economy now where your name and your phone number and your email address are everywhere, even when you think they're not, they are. And you know, kind of government efforts to curb that have really, really really not worked. And so you know, the book is really about kind of taking back our power against large, large corporations and really really big marketers and kind of carving a space out for ourselves again.
Speaker 2: Okay, so give me a couple of concrete recommendations, A couple of concrete what I do sometimes, and you know I have a lot of I could I could write a book like this. I think what I will do. Someone will call me up and they'll say whatever they're trying to sell me, and say, oh, thank you for calling. I have to go get a pen and paper. I need to get all the information and I'll give you and I want to get my credit card. Can you hold on for a minute, and of course I excite them and they say absolutely, And you know what I do. I put the phone down and I walk away, and about thirty minutes later, thirty minutes later at least, I call it. I pick it back up, and I'll say are you still there? And they're never there?
Speaker 4: No, no, they yeah, they don't like.
Speaker 2: Give me, give me a couple of a couple of things. Now, give me a couple of things that that we can do, that we can do together. Would they they call you up and they'll say you've won a prize or they no, no, I know they want to ask your questions a poll, and I say, I'm delighted. I'm a professional poster. Where do I send my bill for my services? And they had no idea what I'm talking about. And my wife is looking at me like I'm crazy. And they'll say, well, no, we don't pay people. I said, you don't pay people. I'm a poster. You've called me. I'm ready to give you my answers and they hang up on me.
Speaker 4: Well, you know that's a that's a perfect way to sort of fight back in the phone call, right, Yeah, I.
Speaker 6: Think you know.
Speaker 4: Concrete wise, it's important. Look, I do things like I go out to lunch without my phone. I will go to a meeting and make sure that you know, I actually know where I'm going, and I don't use GPS. I don't do this every day. I don't do it all the time, but I do think it's important to kind of challenge yourself in these small ways to stop relying on it all so much. It's there to help us, It's been sold to help us, but what it winds up doing is sort of putting our day to day behavior on autopilot. And you know, a society that is on an autopilot can sort of, you know, go to very bad places. So I think it's important to, even just as an individual, challenge yourself to do little things like that. Yeah, you know, I write a lot about email subscriptions and the subscriptions you know that are buried within your checking account. You know, it's like eighty percent of Americans can overestimate how much they spend on subscriptions, and sometimes by about two hundred or three hundred dollars a month.
Speaker 2: So we're not here, Julie. When you say subscriptions, I think magazine subscriptions. What are you talking about.
Speaker 4: I'm talking about everything from your Netflix subscription to those magazine subscriptions, to anything where you've you've clicked online and you've agreed to pay monthly. Horrible, horrible, right, So most I know.
Speaker 1: That your book got some great reviews, and I really hope people will get a copy of it and read it, because we're all being sucked into this vortex.
Speaker 2: You're trying to keep us out of the vortex, man, and I appreciate that your book has received great reviews. It is please unsubscribe. Thanks. How to take back our time, attention, and purpose in a world designed to bury us? And the other thing, too, is if you get any emails and you don't recognize the person, never ever ever click on him. Delete, delete, delete, and if possible, block the number. Simple as that. Julio, thank you so much. I wish I had more time, and maybe we'll have you back in the next few weeks and we'll focus a little bit. I'll focus the interview better. I wasn't quite sure where you wanted to take us. We can do this again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, sounds good. It was a pleasure to be here. Thanks so much.
Speaker 2: Right back at you, Julio. Vincent Cambudo. Please unsubscribe. Thanks available. When we come back, we're going to talk about up in New Hampshire. New Hampshire, like Massachusetts, does mandate motor vehicle inspections. Up in New Hampshire, there's a move to get rid of the motor vehicle inspections and I think it presents of very interesting argument. Back on Nightside with the Deputy Speaker of the House of the New Hampshire State House of Representatives, Representative Stephen Smith, right after the break here on Nightside, the news break