Speaker 1: Big Food and Beyond with Cliff and Bubo.
Speaker 2: These guys are your favorites.
Speaker 1: So like Shay, subscribe and rain it five stary s me.
Speaker 2: Great, Just go on yesterday and listening watching.
Speaker 1: Always keep its watching. And now you're hosts Cliff Berrickman and James Bubo Fay.
Speaker 2: Greetings, Bobo.
Speaker 3: There's up Cliff.
Speaker 2: Lots of stuff as usual, just cruising through summer and being busy man as a as a whole.
Speaker 1: So what's up with you?
Speaker 2: Anything good?
Speaker 1: Nothing?
Speaker 3: I mean, I'll have more news next week, but this week now, but next you guys should ask some pretty hopefully exciting stuff I've had. What have happened transpired in the meantime.
Speaker 2: Give me a hint about any any teasers for me?
Speaker 3: DNA baby DNA?
Speaker 2: Oh well, we'll see, we'll see, I hope.
Speaker 3: So at the temperatures cool down a little bit.
Speaker 2: Temperature dependent DNA news, Huh, that's weird.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got to retrieve it and I'm not going to go up. I just got beat up pretty bad by the heat, so I'm gonna make sure it's not excessive like triple digits if I go out there fair enough.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, things have been happening around here. As usual, I got word. I did not get a chance to investigate this one, but our good friend Tyler Bounds gave me a call, I guess, and he reported that a friend of his saw a sasquatch up in Ridgefield, just north of Vancouver. It's like, not quite suburbia, but it's not quite deep woods either, you know, it's kind of in between. And at first, as you can Ridgefield, how could that be true? You know, you know, but it's the Pacific Northwest. There's pockets of woods everywhere. And so he told me the location. It was this park over near the Columbia River kind of, and there was a tributary to the Columbia flowing through the park. And it's a very very heavily wooded park in general.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Whipple Creek Regional Park apparently had a sasquatch siding in it. And when you do a quick Google search on it, you can see it's like, oh, yeah, yeah, that's very doable. Some people might not think so, but those people are be incorrect, as it turns out, because when you look at Whipple Creek and you say, oh, well, the town's just a little bit there's suburbia just to the south and a little bit to the east of it. Say well, yeah, but look at all the green way that you have between this park and the Columbia River and all the other green ways around there. And when you consider like Savvie Islands right there, Sauvie Islands right across the channel, and there have been sightings on Sauvie Island, and of course on the other side of Sauvie Island in this general area of Scatpoos, there's stuff right outside of Skatpoos. The whole thing makes sense. This particular siding, I guess a couple people were horseback riding and they were going above rather deep forested canyon and there was a river at the bottom. It wasn't like a thousand feet down. I get the feeling. I didn't go to the location because I didn't exactly where it was. I got the feeling. Is more like thirty or maybe fifty feet deep. And these guys were horseback riding and they thought they saw a bear in the creek down below, but apparently it wasn't. It was a hairy human shape sort of thing about maybe nee or waist deep in the water doing something in the water, and apparently they got a pretty decent look at it for a decent amount of time. I don't know. Again, I did not speak to the witnesses. I asked for the contact information, but just did not pan out, you know. And there were people walking their dogs or whatever in the area. They didn't see the thing though, because they didn't have a good angle on it. The people on horseback had a good angle on it.
Speaker 3: I'm looking at it right now. That's not much of a hiving swat for a squash. The mist of all those people I get seem like if I get through it a nighttime, getting stuck, like, oh, it's gonna get lights. So I was gonna hang out here.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But put it in context of all that work that we did back east, you know, like in Ohio or or Pennsylvania or Minnesota. It's like, that's the kind of stuff they hang out in back there, and we should fully expect to do that out here.
Speaker 3: I think I'm saying they wouldn't. I mean, it's close to the river and all that. Yeah, there's I mean, there's I can see him being in there. I'm not saying they wouldn't be in there, but now that's a small place and for how much open space sorce of Pacific Northwest, that's pretty human human zone for them.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, well, I mean it is what it is. I mean, there's there's that natural area on the other side of the five and if you know, if they're crawling around through that area, I don't know. It kind of makes sense to me, especially since there's a long history of stuff up in that general area, like outside of Battleground. We usually get a reporter too outside of Battleground almost every year, and that's kind of the same sort of habitat close.
Speaker 3: Is this is that money maker crossing zone on the five, the one he was publicizing pretty hard.
Speaker 2: Oh oh, that was up by Great Wolflage. I think a couple of years ago during December when one ran across the five. Is that what you're talking about.
Speaker 3: There's a couple there's several settings along this the last couple of years on the same spot area.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, this is actually south of Ridgefield a little bit. But yeah, there's there's a lot of good habit It doesn't look like much on a but you know, as you're driving through the area, it is is very very reasonable and also look at the river like right there to the west of there, and look at the river like a grand z There's a lot of woods and riparian zone and habitat in there a lot. There's a wonderful siding. I don't have a lot of sightings from Savvie Island in general because it's so it's just farmed for the most part. But I did pull a really nice sighting this past year. I think it was squash. I think it was this past year a squatch fest. A woman told me about a siding up on the northern side of Sauvie Island in the sort of like a swampy sort of areas that you can see in there. And this is two miles three miles from that general zone. Yeah, it kind of makes sense to me in general, But so that was kind of cool. It was neat to see that one was in so close.
Speaker 3: So was it what thom of day was in about? Like it was daylight? Yeah? What time daylight?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I got the feeling it was like afternoon or something. Again, I didn't didn't have a chance to speak to the witness. Tyler would have more information, so we call him right August for details while he's working. It is a it is a Monday right now. Yeah, but yeah, anyway, hopefully maybe maybe there might be more information coming up. I was hoping to get to the location with the witness because you know, if I didn't know where it was, I could spend all day walking around to that park and not fine. Oh yeah, yeah, But apparently the thing was down in the water doing something, you know, and the guys watched it for a few moments and it clewed in that it was being seen or maybe you know, it could see the people and like looked at them for a moment and then just walked out of the out of the creek and into the woods. And that's the last I saw it.
Speaker 3: I'm not surprised one would like spend the day and they're like, you know, because it was going place to place and it got kind of stuck in between two great habitat zones that you know, they're not hemmed in like doing stuff like visible in the daytime, like in a creek, visible from the trailer. Just asked the part that's like, well, that's that's a pretty bold squatch.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well they're all doing something right now, Like every big Foot of Live is out there doing something at this very moment. I don't know. I guess another in Bigfoot news, of course, is I would. I was out of town all weekend. I went to I went up to the Olympic Project property and hung out with the good folks up there. Yeah, that was good fun. Lots of people are up there, too many to name, of course, but I think for me, at least the highlights. It's always great to see Shane and his family of course, and Derek Randalls is great. Derek said that I need to start bugging him about coming on the podcast, and so I will be happy to do that. I'll be calling Derek this week and trying to set something up. He said he'd be more than happy to come on the podcast and hang out. He goes, although he hasn't been doing much Bigfoot, he personally has not been doing much big but stuff lately. He's been more focused on hiking very tall mountains and being in shape and stuff like that. Yeah, he's super into that right now. You know, Derek is like always one hundred and ten percent into anything he's doing. Yeah, yeah, right now it's I guess when he hit sixty he said, I'm going to be in the best shape of my life right now and decided to do it. And godspeed man. Like he's killing it. He's really in the hiking up like he's in these like hiking clubs and stuff where the whole point is to gain elevation. I guess, yeah, really really into that. But so he said, I don't know what I talk about. I haven't been doing too much. I said, dude, we're going to talk about all the stuff you did do like we're going to talk about your time with Krantz. We're going to talk about your time with doctor Meldrum and the North American eight Project. I mean, I bet a lot of our listeners have never even heard of the North American eight Project, but yet it was a huge thing back in the late nineties and early two thousands. And speaking of which, one of the highlights by far of my weekend up at the op the Olympic Project property and was hanging out with John Pickering. Oh my god, John is a legend. He was everywhere and nobody so almost nobody nowadays knows who he is. It's like, oh man, and it's still kind of a recluse. But we and I get along really well because we're both, you know, diehard introverts at the end of the day, and we totally understand like, yeah, I don't there's people there. I don't want to go there. You know, we totally, we totally understand each other. Yeah, he's awesome. Yeah I learned a lot from him as well. He's just so cool. So yeah, I did that this past weekend. So I got home and I went into work yesterday, today's Monday. So on Sunday, I went into work. A couple interesting emails. There's a game camera picture that clearly shows an eye of something and a bunch of other goodness knows what. I suspect it's a bear, you know, sniff in the camera. There's another email with a photograph of a footprint cast that they needed help identifying, and it turned out to be in my opinion, I think it's an old copy of the Peter Burn nineteen sixty track that has all sorts of weird things around it. Of course, and you can always read about that on the Cliffberrickman dot com website in the track database. But also while I was there. Coincidentally, while I was there, and this is what I love about the bigfoot thing. And I can totally see why people say, oh see, yes, paranormal. It's like, nah, relax, everything's cool. Turns out that weird things happen in life. While I was there, somebody called in to the shop wanting to tell us about running in possibly running into a sasquatch the day before at the Sandy Hatchery. I live in Sandy, Oregon, and there's a hatchery not too far away, you know, out in the woods there, and somebody was down fishing, I guess, at five or six o'clock at night, in the general zone of the Sandy Sandy Hatchery there, and they didn't see anybody else. There were a couple of fishermen around, they know because the parking lot, but they didn't see anybody else. And they didn't see a sasquatch either. I want to make that clear. They're down there on one of the Sandy beaches next to the Sandy River. A lot of Sandy words being thrown around right now. Yeah, but they're on one of these beaches down by the Sandy River fishing. And it was again five or six o'clock at night, so plenty of lights still, and they heard a big splash. And they saw the splash, but they didn't see what made it. And the guy thought, oh man, that's a big salmon. Holy smokes, that salmon just rolled right. And so because again everybody fish is at the hattery, you know, because if they For those people who don't live in the Pacific Northwest, I guess a clue to the puzzle here is that you aren't allowed to eat wild fish. You aren't allowed to fish for salmon or steel ahead that are wild and eat them. You have to let those go. But if you can and fact fish for and keep and eat hatchery salmon. And so everybody fishes by the hatchery because that's where all the fish are going anyway, the ones that you're allowed to eat. Somebody fishes in that general zone. It makes sense, right, they're concentrated there. So anyway, he was there and he heard there heard a splash, and didn't he thought it was a salmon. He starts casting at it, and like a minute or two later, something catches his eye at a corner of his eye, and it's another rock. Apparently the first splash was a rock, and this one is another rock, and he sees it and it splashes into the river, and this one's large enough that it grinds against the stones in the water. I love how deep it was there. But you know, you know, we've all heard that noise, right pretty much. Yeah, So and he goes, oh my god, what was that? And he gets pissed because he's not thinking bigfoot, you know, and he thought, like, who the hell's throwing rocks at us? And so he actually throws his rod down on the ground and runs up the up the bank or whatever, say, who the hell did that? He was ready to bust some heads, basically, is what it sounded like. And he doesn't see anybody. He goes the other direction, doesn't see anybody, looks in the woods, doesn't see anybody. He's going like, what in the what the heck's going on?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: And then another minute or two later, another rock comes in, and this time it lands about ten feet from his girlfriend on the beach, on the sand itself. And this rock is about the size of a basketball, is the way he explained.
Speaker 3: Oh man, how far did it come from?
Speaker 2: Don't know, don't know, right, So he's thinking like, what, oh my, what the heck is this? And he doesn't see anybody, and he's going, this is just too weird, man, And so they leave. Basically, they leave. They decided to get out, and so they start walking out. They cross this little stream or whatever in there, and about another he said, about another two or three hundred yards after that little stream, the stream Cedar Creek right there, which is where the hatter is. Two or three hundred yards later, as a walking out, they hear a big tree knock from behind them, you know, like a real big, loud tree knock from behind them in that general zone, and he goes, He goes, He's just going, what in the world, what is that?
Speaker 3: You know?
Speaker 2: So they go home and they're talking about it. They don't know what to think about it. They start looking on the internet and asking AI and whatever, and they start like, oh my god, a bigfoot? What maybe? Oh my god. And so he calls me. He calls the shop when I happen to be there, which is a cool part. I love the coincidence aspect of that sort of thing. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages. So he calls me and tells me about the whole thing, and then I said, oh, well, shoot, I got to get down there that night. I had some work. I'm helping my neighbor, my great neighbor, Gary build a shelter like a building sort of thing for his mill. So I had that took up my afternoon, and we're doing the roofing right now of all that. So I was down there helping him with all that. But around five or six o'clock at night, I know, about four thirty or five, actually, I went down there, and I convinced Melissa to go too, which is kind of fun. She rarely goes out with me because she doesn't like going cross country or going bushwhacking or going to swamps, and that is generally what I tend to do, it seems. But anyway, she came down with me anyway, and we went down there and spooked around for a while, and you know, I spent about forty five minutes or an hour looking around, and then I started focusing on, Okay, where could the rocks come from? If I was, you know, seven or eight feet tall, maybe maybe i'd put myself in that kind of place. And I found a couple of maybes. I found some things that may or may not be trying. I mean, there were areas of soil that were definitely disturbed. I'll go ahead and send these to you right now, because I don't think I've done that yet. But yeah, pretty interesting stuff. And of course since I've opened the museum and started collecting reports locally like that, I think there's been five or six now. I think it might be the six to one six report between you know, Class B stuff like this and actual observations of sasquatches between the hatchery and bull Run basically you know, which is right right downstream, just like a mile or so away.
Speaker 3: Yes, I are an ABC post on that. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh, and of course release that new video as well. I saw that you commented on the Bobo is of course a museum member, and he was nice enough to comment on that. I think my museum members get a kick out of that, So thank you, Bobo.
Speaker 1: And you and ever are like, oh my god, you know Bobo.
Speaker 2: A lot of times they come in and point to the sculpt of Bobo's head that Wilsten made us, and they say, oh my god, look at that.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I found four possible tracks. Three of them were together about forty two or forty four inches apart, and then one of them was about twenty or thirty feet away in the general direction. And none of them are very good. I just sent you all four of them. None of them are very good at all. I'm not going to, you know, hype these things up at all. But one of them looks pretty okay. One of them you can say, oh, that might be something, you know, which is the first one I found. And then I found one after it, And then I took that measurement and taped it back like a tracking stick, you know, And that's where I found the other one. So I found three consecutive tracks, all about the same size and all about the same distance away from each other, and then another one twenty or thirty feet away, I guess, so interesting stuff. And of course, yeah, sure that happens down there. That's one of the things that happens down there. They do hear knocks down there. They do occasionally get rock throwings in that general area. But it's organ that's what happens here. So that's what. That's more or less the news I have except for fires man. Are you safe from fires?
Speaker 1: Bobo?
Speaker 3: Yeah? We had one. This was like a week and a half ago. I was sitting here, and also I've seen this smoke just building up and it came forward by Polly Live was directly north of me, and I called him. I said, dude, what's going on? Because there was like a fire truck something next to the fire sits they ripping out, and then we started hearing like, you know, four or five six helicopters are making runs, you know, like getting water from the river. Like, well, you know what's going on. I called him and said, he goes.
Speaker 1: He didn't.
Speaker 3: He goes, there's a fireing mouse and said the smokelers that's coming near you. And he goes went outside and lived and saw his neighbor's house was on fire, but it didn't spread into the forest, but his poor neighbor lost their place.
Speaker 2: Oh no, it's terrible. Yeah, my friends in the Spollcane have the it's really bad and Spokecane right now. A couple of my friends out there have the fire like a half mile from their house at the moment. Yeah, scary stuff.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but I've seen like the up are you guys? Like that whole area there's like olive ore and there's been tons of fires.
Speaker 2: Yeah, our friends on the warm Springs Reservation are having a really tough time right now. They're starting to take collections of food and water and stuff to go donate out there in the reservation too. Really, yeah, we're gonna be driving up the mountain later today to drop off a bunch of food and whatever the supplies for them. There's some collection spots up in the mountain, so we're gonna be driving up there and giving some stuff away for our friends out there.
Speaker 1: We had just gotten a message from a listener named Patricia Dyer. I think it's Magnahi Magnahie. I might be mispronouncing that, but she had said, Hey, Cliff and bow is a hope all as well with you of our beautiful Bigfoot Blue Mountains are burning due to multiple wildfires, including around Mill Creek Watershed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, inside Milk Creek Watershed, to be exact about it. From un understand, there's a paradise fires what they call it. That's one of the I was. You know, everybody knows I was supposed to go there last week or the week before, but I had car trouble and so I couldn't get out there or whatever. And it's probably a good thing I didn't go because all up on Black Snake Ridge, which is just south of Biscuit Ridge, there's a much of emergency vehicles, a lot of road closures and all that stuff. And then, of course, over by a deduct and skyline, there's also a lot of emergency vehicles going around. And the last thing I need to do is get in their way. They've got way more important things to do than look for apes in the woods man. So I'm I'm glad it worked out that way, But you know, that's how my life usually rolls, is plans go awry and then I find out like, oh it was for the better. There you go. Well, you know, this isn't a catch up episode. This is really more of a Q and A episode. Should we jump into that sort of stuff for the August Q and A?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I got questions.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we should ask the questions, and our viewers shouldn't answer them. Our viewers, our listeners should should answer them. My first question is what the hell do you think you're doing? Who do you think you are?
Speaker 1: Whoever you are. We do have a few voicemails here and quite a few written questions. This will be a little bit different format because I'm not able to cut and paste the questions, so I'll just have to read those out. But we'll start with some of the voicemails, going to grab one at random. So let's see what this first voicemail is, asking gratings from one of your Australian pigeons. I had a work colleague who had an encounter on the Snowy River here in Victoria. Snowy River is mostly very shallow river with the old date pool here and there, and this big foot well Patty st across an open sandy flat, looked at him and then slipped into the river into one of these deeper pools, and that was it. It never came up. And his theory was that it had an underground entrance to a cave or something. Sadly, this bloke was killed in a car accident and this sighting died with him, and I.
Speaker 4: Don't believe he ever officially reported it, but anyway prompted my question. I've heard lots of reports about bigfoot in water, swimming, et cetera. But what is your favorite or weirdest bigfoot water story?
Speaker 3: Love to hear it.
Speaker 4: Thanks fellers, cheers, keep up with great work.
Speaker 3: Well one am I going to think I've wrote that is in a song Paul Greves is Jim Henry's song about seeing a couple of big foot swim up into the lake and they had elk swing in the lake and they hearded the elk while swimming, like I actually heard the elcheet chased them up to the say they wanted him on and yeah, so check that out. Paul Greas is Jim Henry Si. It's one of my it's my favorite big foot song and one of my favorite songs ever. And then there's another ones that lake is like claim on the boats in Alaska, people fishing like in creeks and snaging them and like I think they snagged the log or something, and then all of a sudden the sasquatch stands out of a creed. You know they're fishing for catfish. There's there's there's several good water ones.
Speaker 1: As a side note, I do I love the idea that instead of relating the report, you're like, oh, go listen to this song. It just made me think like, instead of writing another book, I should just make an album of sasquatch or lind information. So if people are like, have you ever heard any reports of this, I'm like, oh yeah, check out track six.
Speaker 3: Man.
Speaker 2: We just got to report in the museum the other day of what having to do with water, and I thought it showed some interesting behavior. Apparently somebody saw a sasquatch walking in this creek or whatever, and it was like scooping water up and throwing it up onto its own back as it walked. And I thought that was an interesting behavior because clearly, being covered and firm, being very very large, would be very very warm to be that kind of animal. And you know, that reminds me also a moneymaker, and it's time in Ohio where he would go up these little draws that fed these larger rivers in search of bigfoot stuff, you know, chasing down sidings and things. And he told me that he found several places, or at least one. At least one, but I got the feeling was more than one where a sasquatch had apparently been submerging itself in a deeper pool in these small, little feeder creeks. And one time he did tell me he found a wet footprint on the side of one of these as he came up and apparently disturbed the animal out of them. Out of this little pool thing. So that's why Matt was always on fire about these slow moving deep pools in shady ravines, especially in Ohio and Pennsylvania where it's super muggy and hot and crappy ol all summer. He thinks that that that is a strategy for them keeping cool. And that new siding that was just it is not a new sighting. It happened in the nineties. But the sighting that just came into us at the NABC this past weekend about the thing splashing water on its back reminded.
Speaker 3: Me of that. Yeah, makes sense, Yeah, I think so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there was one that came to mind when I heard that question that a friend of mine spoke to the witness. So I've only heard it secondhand from the friend of mine that spoke to this person, But they talked about I think they were deer hunting. They do it, some kind of hunting. And so it was November December, and I think central Georgia, so still pretty cold, probably like in the twenties, thirties, et cetera. And the thing had come out and gotten into a pond and very cold weather. But the guy said, he said, man, this thing moved around in that water and was swimming around like it was the fourth of July or something, and so it really made me think, man, they must be pretty cold tolerant, or there must have been some benefit to getting in that water on a cold day like that, if the story's true. It was another story that I took from a guy who was military personnel at the time. I think he was on leave or some sort of a break, and he and another individual were hunting on Little Tybee Island, which is actually much larger than Tybee Island, even though it's called Little Tybee, but it is a wildlife refuge there on the coastal portion of Georgia. And they had an encounter at night. The thing approached their camp, intimidated them, then collapsed their tent with a giant branch or log like. It hurled a big heavy branch and collapsed their tent and then ran away from them as they kind of chased it, and it ran into what sort of title marsh and he said it was below freezing again, probably in the teens or twenties, low twenties. It gives you some insight in just how they are certainly built for the cold. You know what I mean, I heard somewhere. I don't know this is true, so please fact check me out there. I heard somewhere that, like you know those feral children stories or whatever from the eighteen hundreds and whatever in France and all those places, that apparently that these feral children also were not cold sensitive, hot nor cold. They just kind of dealt with it and didn't They didn't prefer one or the other. Really, it's just they were just didn't notice it.
Speaker 3: It lives. Yeah, I read that.
Speaker 1: Have you read that?
Speaker 2: Okay, so that's a something not making that up somehow?
Speaker 3: Good?
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So it makes sense at animals because I mean I always thought, like, how Soshi, how could you go in that water? It's ridiculous And she never answered me because she's a dog.
Speaker 3: Yeah. You know Fred Subarctic Alaska. He has a great story with some elders where they were shooting. They were shooting at one and it ran and dove into a pond, and it came back and attacked like was you know, throwing stuff at him, like trying to get him from the opposite side. Afterwards. This is like in the nineteen forties, but it is pretty good, like it escaped multiple times as they were shooting at it, like I think twice. I think I think it was twice that it jumped into this dove into this pond like like sprinted and dove headfirst and disappeared that way. Wow, is a fascinating stuff, and you hear it's like it's a it's a crazy one. It's one of my favorite ones.
Speaker 1: They give you that question, Paul, So sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. But we always love a good yaoi story, so thanks for sending that in.
Speaker 2: Super interesting part of the world. I love the AWI stuff. Oh yeah, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bogo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 1: So here is the first written question, also from a Paul. Paul Roby writes and says, can you.
Speaker 2: Do this in a voice that you imagine Paul to have?
Speaker 1: This one's so positive. I can't really do anything that would be a derogatory or that somebody would think would be making fun of them, so I'll save it for another question.
Speaker 2: I was just kidding anyway. I just thought it'd be funny, but go ahead.
Speaker 1: Paul Roby asks, Hello, Clifford, Bobes and Matt. I would like to ask how did John Green cover so many reports? Even in the Yukon he has two there, and in states like North Dakota and South Dakota, or places like eastern Montana combined, he has more than I would think he could have possibly have gotten at that time. Do you have any thoughts on why or how? By the way, I love the podcast. It's changed my life.
Speaker 2: We're so sorry about that, and let's it's change it for the better. But that's a rare thing.
Speaker 3: Your life was already sucked. Don't blay with us.
Speaker 1: I think we've enriched his life. You know, I think back then, some of that stuff probably got pretty widely disseminated, some of those writings. I mean, obviously there were the men's magazines that would have pointed to that, even though Green wasn't really writing articles for those. It would have been more like Sanderson and some of those folks. But I would just have to imagine that there was enough interest in rural places that maybe some of those books were carried there. Some of Green's writings, or at least some of the things he had written, were published in the local papers, such that when people did have sightings or encounters and they were looking for someone to reach out to, they would have found John Green because you know, a lot of that came from correspondence, from people writing into him and then maybe he'd get a chance to interview them. He did one sort of tour, you know, where he drove around the United States, Canada, and the United States, interviewing people in person. But a lot of that had to be predicated on having already made contact in places with witnesses via phone calls or correspondent. So I would imagine it would just be people finding a way to get in touch with him, because his works were some of the only works on the Sasquatch and they were out there. But I mean, what do you guys take I mean, being on mysterious Monsters and Bigfoot Man or beast or Bigfoot Man Beast did in search out you know, there's so many ways that his name was put out into the world where people could have found him. I would guess by a certain time at least, well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was.
Speaker 2: It was a much more literate time as well. Keep that in mind people actually read back then and him publishing what three books by nineteen seventy two or three or something like that. Those made their way out there, and of course he hoofed it.
Speaker 1: He did.
Speaker 2: He put us boots on the ground and got those things in the libraries, and other libraries heard about it, and libraries started carrying books on this subject, and that helped a lot. I mean, I remember reading John Green books in my local library and El Dorado Park in Long Beach, California. There were John Green books in the nineteen seventies when I was there as a six or eight year old boy checking out books on weird things. So the books helped a lot, of course. And of course he did write, and he was like the editor or owner of the newspaper in Harrison or whatever it was that he probably did publish some articles there, and some of those might have been distributed on ap newswire or something like that on slow news stays, just like the Jerry Crue article got distributed. But also you met you did mention that tour. He did take a tour of the United States and Canada, visiting people that he'd been corresponding with and probably dicking up new reports along the way. Because he talked to one witness they say, oh, yeah, my other neighbor he saw one too, or whatever, and so one thing leads to another word of mouth. But also keep in mind, and I don't have the exact number, but by the time John Green published the book that was the result of that cross continent tour Apes among Us, that's the book that resulted from that effort, he had something on the terms, and I think it was like seventeen hundred reports, which really isn't that many by today's standard. I mean, it's a lot, especially when you think of the context where he was working that time period, and also a word of mouth and handwritten letters sent by snail mail back and forth to each other and that sort of thing. That is a tremendous, herculean effort and a wonderful result for it. But at the end of the day, seventeen hundred reports is a drop in a pond at this point, so it's not that big of it would not be that big of a database at this point in time. Back then, it was ridiculous off the charts, but nowadays it's not that big of a database. So it's good to keep that the context of what time period. It's good to keep that in mind.
Speaker 1: I would guess too, that he did have somewhat of a network of other researchers around the country. I mean even references. You know Lauren Coleman, who at that time was in southern Illinois, who was taking reports and fording those to Green. And obviously the guys that formed the Bay Area group were fording. You know, there was a bit of a network and some communication and exchange of reports. So there might have been someone in those aforementioned regions that Paul asked about who was collecting those reports and then fording those on to Green.
Speaker 2: Oh, I know for a fact there was. I have the papers actually I have, like Barbara Wasawson was part of that group of researchers that were out, you know, looking around for him. See what John Green did back in the day, and this is the early seventies. If I understand the historical papers that I have, and I actually have copies in doctor Meldrum's collection as well that reflect the same thing. John Green would have a loose knit group of researchers all throughout the continent that he would correspond with and his directions to them. And I had the letters somewhere. I got to dig that out His directions to them was like, okay, if you if you hear a report or a footprint find or anything you know bigfoot related, write a short synopsis of it, a summary of it on a three x five card, where and when and who or whatever ination you have, and then send it to me. And then what it seems was happening is that once a month or so, John Green would take all of those three by five cards and lay them out on a eight and a half by eleven piece of paper, and I guess xeroxim I mean copy machines didn't Some sort of copy machine existed at that point. I don't know what it was because I remember the blue ink ones that you had to do or rolling thing on. Yeah, I remember that stuff from elementary school because it smelled good. But that's I don't know what else, what other technology they had at the time, but there was something going on, because once a month or so, John Green would take all of the submissions from the previous month or so from all this wide variety of researcher out there, Barbara Wasson or whoever else, and then send it to everybody who contributed. So it's like the very earliest inkling seed sort of thing of a BFRO style database. So, and I've got all sorts of three by five cards with sightings on them, and I've got these copied papers with all these sighting reports on them from all these other people. It's a very very interesting snapshot of a very low tech way of a siting report database.
Speaker 4: It's super cool.
Speaker 1: I'd have to reread the book to see if he mentions who his contacts are in those states, you know, the Dakotas and Montana, Wyoming, et cetera, because usually he does give credit, you know, in at least apes among us as to you know, who he's meeting up with in those places or who's forwarding the reports. That's how I heard about so many of the other researchers that I looked into from that era were their references and apes among us.
Speaker 2: But before we go on, I just turned around in my I'm in my office right now, that's where I do the podcast from, and I just turned around and grabbed a stack of papers because I have some of these papers right here in front of me. So I'm looking now, and this is in the early seventies, this is the late seventies.
Speaker 1: I just have.
Speaker 2: I'm going to grab a random page in here. This is a random enough page. It has one, two, three, four, five siding reports on one side. The first one, it says, says Ramona Hibner, two girls, Laurel, Florida, January seventeenth, nineteen seventy six. Camping in a pasture. Girls saw large creature covered with hair from head to foot, long, dark hair hung over large shiny green eyes. It was hunched over, ran away upright, waddling when aware it was being observed. That's one of the five reports. Next one says Greg Mastell, Game Guide, Tobacco Root Mountains near Ennis, Montana, October nineteen seventy six, with two clients hunting and mountains, saw two upright figures and clearing about one hundred yards away. Both looked about eight to nine feet tall, one coal black, the other black with a white streak on its back. They took photos which Greg has not seen. And this just goes on and on on and on and on and on.
Speaker 3: Those water ones, I'm sure those are the females could be.
Speaker 1: I'd love to sift through those, especially for any if there are any Southeastern states you know in Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, the Carolina is that sort of thing, dude.
Speaker 2: I'm holding two stapled packets together. Each of the staple packets is over a quarter of an inch thick.
Speaker 3: I gotta come back up there and it would be cool, I prove. So, aren't you like just going through your files? We could get so many episodes out of just going through the files and point out cool stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's endless in here. It's endless. So anyway, Yeah, I just happened to turn around and they were there. So these are all John Green things that were sent to Barbara Watson because she was part of that project. Stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo. Will be right back after these messages.
Speaker 1: So here is your next voicemail.
Speaker 5: Hey, Cliff and Bobo, it's Chum and big Z from Central Pennsylvania. We've been having a lot of action over here by the Appalachian Mountains. I just wanted to ask you, what do you guys think about the Ohio Hole's filmed by Matt Moneymaker. I think they're probably fake and he just did it to get attention, But what do you guys think? All right, Peace out, keep squatchy, thanks.
Speaker 3: Ovis is this Collins ignorant fool?
Speaker 1: I think what Matt would say to that is your inferior. You're a nobody, You've never done anything, Shut up and go away. I personally do not think that they're fake, because I've heard that sound myself with my own ears eleven different times across the continent. I went through all my field notes, Like when I was writing the book, I had a section about vocalizations, and obviously I focused quite a bit on recordings and analyses of recordings of those big moaning houses, and so I went through all my field notes to jot down the number of times I'd heard it, like in which states, So I can tell you for sure there's some animal in North America that makes that sound. Now, I've never seen a sasquatch, and I haven't seen a sasquatch making that sound, but I've heard that sound does occur out in nature. I do not think Matt fake those.
Speaker 3: No, I've heard the same thing like you've heard all over the country. One thing I have noticed it seems that they have shortened them. And I don't know if that's response to people doing those all over the you know, Cottina or or what. But it seems like the ones I've heard in more recent years are shorter. So many other.
Speaker 1: People have recorded him too, I mean I think about those Trent West Virginia howes. Sometimes they're referred to as the Bruno West Virginia hows There's a great example from Mississippi. There's some that Kirk Brandenburg recorded from southern Washington. There's other ones from Ohio that other BFRO people recorded.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's another one from that same almost that same general area in Ohio that was just released a couple of years ago, like two years ago. That's on the BFRORO side. I mean, that wasn't anywhere Matt wasn't in the state when that was when that happened.
Speaker 1: Yeah, there's one from North Georgia that I'm aware of, from I think circa twenty ten. I mean, there's there's many that. Obviously, if if sasquatches exist and they make that sound, which obviously believe they do, that's going to be the sort of sound that's the easiest to hear and record because it's the loudest sound they make, and so it's not as dependent on proximity as quiet sounds would. Be or as a visual observation would be. So if they're generating all sorts of sounds, obviously the loudest ones will carry the farthest, and that's the one that you would be the most likely to hear because you don't have to be close to it, and that's going to be the kind of sound that you're most likely to record. I mean, Chris Spencer's recorded examples of that, NAWAC has recorded examples of.
Speaker 2: That on their I've recorded one of that, the status Laus How And how.
Speaker 1: Many witnesses have you heard that? You've played that, Ohio How and they're like, oh, yeah, that's what I heard. Or Man, I can't tell you how many times. Personally, I used to ride around with a CD. Now I have it all on my phone, but I used to have a CD that I burned like a CDR of sasquatch sounds, and I would keep it in the car in the forerunner, and many times if I was out in the woods and ran into people, you know, I'd strike up a conversation and you know, start asking like if we're seen or heard anything usual out here. Most people have not seen a sasquatch, but many times I'd say if you ever heard this, and I would play that sound father, Oh yeah, I've heard that, Like, well, what do you think that is that?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I just thought it was a you know, fill in the bank. I thought it was a panther, or thought it was this, or thought it was that. But a lot of people that I've talked to spontaneously claim to have heard that sound in the woods at some point.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's funny. I think the most common when people can I think the most componentness is like big cat, you know, like it sounds more like a like when people send you like recordings that they have that they can't identify, it's usually kyos. But when they when they're talking about like something like like like you said that, I've played sounds for people hundreds of times, you know, like witnesses, and they say, oh, yeah, so I heard, And the lot ones say what I could have I thought it was a big cat? Would they send in what they record and send it? It's usually a kyo?
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: And I understand the the oh, the tendency for people to jump at accusing Matt of hoaxing things because he is enthusiastic and he is a high profile bigfoot person and all that sort of stuff. But I've known that for a long time, and I do not I don't peg him as a hoaxer, you know, I really don't, oh yeah, at all. And I know him pretty well better than most anybody else. Really. You know, there's a handful of people that know Matt as well as I do. Bobo is one, and there's a few others, a few others, not very many.
Speaker 4: Though.
Speaker 2: Matt is a really private person, and even though he knows a lot of people, he doesn't have wide circles of friends. But I'm one of them. I'm a friend of Matt, and I'm not necessarily coming to his defense in this case because he's a friend. I'm coming to his defense because I think that's a widely misunderstood thing about Matt. And I mean I say it all the time. I talk about bigfoot kind of for a living, you know, as part of my living, I talk about sasquatches, just like Matt does. And when you are involved in the bigfoot thing and you or asked for your opinion or thoughts or conclusions about sasquatches, You're going to be wrong kind of a lot. And that's just one of the things that you have to deal with if you're a one of the very few professionals, so to speak, in this field. I mean when I say professional, I don't mean that that we're amazing at it. I mean that's kind of what we do for a living. So I understand the tendency or the inclination to wanted to say that. I think he hoaxed it because of whatever reason or very often is his personality, because he has such a strong type of personality and that rubs some other people the wrong way. But don't I don't. I know Matt better than most. Like I said, I just do not see him as a hoaxer at all. And if Matt tells me something, I listen very closely because whether you like the guy or not, that doesn't even matter. I happen to like the guy, but a lot of people don't, I understand. But he does know an awful lot about the subject, the people and the animals.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I think people confuse, or at least they put the cart before the horse in some cases, or put the chicken in the egg in the wrong order. If someone does get attention and so then they'll they'll say, oh, well, they only do that to get attention. It's like, well, no, they got attention because they were already doing that. So people that tend to do good work and publish good work oftentimes gather attention because people go, oh, that's interesting, tell me more. And then you could look and retrospectively or retroactively say oh, well they only did that for the attention. It's like no, no, no, that's you're in the wrong order. The reason that the attention came is because the work was good. And so I think this is one of those cases that it was not that he did the work solely for the attention. It's that he was doing the work in almost solitude and quietly for a long time and eventually just gathered attention because people were interested in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I guess that's the natural inclination of our influencer world now, where people and so some people enter the bigfoot world to get attention. Yes, you know a lot of people, it seems to me, but that's the wrong order. You should do it because you love it, and then good things will come. If that's and I kind of wish I didn't have any attention, but that's you know, my living kind of depends on people knowing about the museum and all that sort of stuff for the podcast. If I had my way, if I could do it differently and still make a living, I would be happy that nobody ever heard my name and I could just be doing this quietly by myself somewhere. But that's just not the way things are from my allies.
Speaker 1: So, and I know this listener sent in a few voicemails over the last year and seems to be pretty active there in Pennsylvania. So I would just say, I totally understand your reserv You should always have reservations and be skeptical about, you know, any evidence look into it. But I would suspect you keep doing what you're doing there in Pennsylvania and those areas, and you're eventually going to hear that sound yourself and then you go, okay, well, you know, whatever the case may be, there's some animal out there that's making those sounds, and that recording happens to be a good example of it. So let me grab I'll grab two more. I think there's two that are good closers, so we'll give them both equal time. But our listener, Scott Peterson asks Cliff, Bobo and Matt as Bigfoot researchers, what's on your bucket list that you have not had a chance to do yet?
Speaker 2: Film one? I think that's a I'd love that full daylight observation one for a minute or two. But if I could film one, that'd be cool because I could relive that observation over and over and over again, maybe learn something from it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I would say seeing one is on that list, I guess in terms of something more practical, because I can't control whether or not ever see one. There are certain places that I would love to go. You know. Speaking to money Maker, he brought my attention to a place years ago. I think he ended up publishing an article about it on the bfro's website. But there's a little subset of mountains. I think it's considered like Sky Island Mountains that's in northern Nevada on the Nevada Idaho border called the Jarbadge Mountains, and Jarbadge is a sort of anglicized version of an Indigenous word that's Shahabits, which means something like the monster and the canyon or the creature that lurks in the canyon. Or something like that. But despite being Nevada. You know, I'll post some videos in the show notes so you guys can see. They're really beautiful, forested mountains, a lot of water. I think the nearest town's like four hours away. There's one there is a town of Jarbage, but it's like a single gas station with a single pump and just like maybe a dozen people that live there. It's pretty remote, but there are reports. I've read and seen reports from there. People do occasionally go in there, specifically to look for sasquatches, but I think that's been pretty few and far between. But it seems to be a place with a long history that extends into indigenous traditions. There are modern witnesses. It's in the middle of nowhere. It looks gorgeous. It just seems like it'd be a really singular experience in the Lower forty eight. Besides, what's that other giant wilderness? Is it Bob Marshall, the one that's the biggest roadless wilderness now?
Speaker 2: Yeah, Yeah, I think that's in Montana.
Speaker 3: Yeah, this is.
Speaker 1: Kind of like one of those places that Jarbage area. So that's always been a big bucket list for me, just because it's so unique, So that's what I'll go with.
Speaker 3: Ah, there's so many Well, yeah, obviously film one and then I guess in the same breath, see a good daylight setting or a great sighting under like good lighting conditions, like I extended, not just a glimpse, but like actually see like the face and facial features and expression and muscles moving like that'd be awesome as long as it's moving away from me.
Speaker 2: Wiseley said, stay tuned for more Bigfoot and Beyond with Cliff and Bobo will be right back after these messages, So.
Speaker 1: This will probably be a good one to end on. I know we've touched on this sort of thing before, but it's been a while, and always want to try to cater to to some degree the up and comers. And so this last question comes from James Reid, and he says, Hey, guys, I'm James, a high schooler on the east side of South Dakota. I've always believed in Bigfoot, and I've become a lot more more interested in the subject because of your podcast. But I've always wondered where do I start in terms of researching what resources would be helpful to me to learn more about the subject, and how do I start contributing? Thank you for putting on such a great podcast.
Speaker 3: Well, for the first thing, you're doing the right thing. Listening to this podcast is the best thing you can do.
Speaker 1: Starting with amen, I would disagree, Well, if you enter the online space, where else are you going to? You know, this is sort of like the it's a roadmap books?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wouldn't. I don't think the online space is the best entry point.
Speaker 1: It's not. But like, if you're a young person and you're putting a toe in there, where are you going to go? Search bigfoot books? Good luck, because you're going to find you're going to find fifty gazillion results, and ninety percent of those are going to be AI written self published things on Amazon. So how do you discern? Like you have to have some sort of a guide. And I think, at least for myself, that's what I try to do, try to be is like, hey, we're in this lanelandscape. It's fairly unmapped. I mean, we've got some great cartographers over time to extend the metaphor, you know, John Green Krantz, on and on and on, but for today is like, well I got to find some voice. I can trust to help guide me through this landscape, to say, hey, there's a pit over there, a lot of people fall into it. You don't want to fall into that. Trust me over here, there's a good watering source, et cetera. So I do think this is a good starting point because we are constantly pointing towards like, yeah, there's a lot of books. Here are our recommended ones, you know, James, I could point you to our book recommendations episode, or we say like, here's the researchers whose voices we trust, we think do good work. Or we try to highlight the witnesses that we think are insightful and credible and reliable, and on and on. So I do think it's a good starting point because otherwise you could stumble into a gazillion different traps that are indistinguishable from reliable resources.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 2: Okay, well that is definitely true, because we're not going to steer you wrong. We're always is going to tell you the truth, and we're not going to sensatialize anything. And if you listen long enough to the I don't know even know how many episode what episode is this, Matt, I.
Speaker 1: Think this is going to be episode three? Hundred and seventy nine.
Speaker 3: Wow. Geez.
Speaker 2: Yeah, if you listen to us long enough, there's gonna be a lot of interesting tidbits to pull out. So yeah, maybe we are a good map, a map to the territory of where you should be looking. We don't spend a lot of time talking about where you shouldn't be going. I don't think we talked about generalities, but there's a lot of specifics, and that's not really our thing. If you want a gossip, you can go to Facebook, I guess, but that would be something I would point out, is that mini online resources. And I guess maybe some podcasts. I don't really know, because everybody knows. I don't listen to bigfoot podcasts. I don't really watch Bigfoot documentaries. I don't watch Bigfoot TV or anything like that. But I'm guessing that a lot of the stuff, from what I see online on the social media is more or less talking about the people. So I would recommend that anybody coming into this field, whoever, whoever you're going to, whoever you're going to for a source of information, make sure that they're talking about the animals, not the people.
Speaker 3: That's that's that's the biggest one right there.
Speaker 2: People come up like oh, this guy has a siding report or this this person received a siding report. That's fine, but people is the people should not be the focus. They should be a side detail legendum.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean I I do kind of feel like that's the responsibility, the obligation. But also the opportunity is like, well, we get a chance to talk to each other. People listen, and so the opportunity here is like, well, hey, here's the things that we're the most interested in, that we learn the most from, that we get the most excited about because we think there's something really to it. And so that that does kind of at least serve the purpose of hopefully being a guide for people who are new to this subject to say like where should I look, what should I be reading? What should I be digging into? And so again we did on the Patreon side, we did a long sort of like book recommendations list that I re released on this feed for regular listeners. And then we've done a couple. I think we did one episode that was pretty lengthy called so you want to be a Squatcher that was devoted exactly to this question, like, so you're new to this. You want to get started, here's here's some tips and guidelines. Maybe I can get that released on the main feed at some point, but just peppered throughout the previous three hundred and seventy plus episodes on this main show, there's a lot of recommendations and highlighting of news articles and books and papers and classic cases and researchers and on and on and on. So it's so hard at this point to say, oh, yeah, go listen to these five episodes, because it's more like, yeah, go listen to any episode and there will be some suggestion somewhere, because you know, the only thing we like more than finding something that gets us fired up is telling you folks, you listeners about it. You know, we love talking about the things that we've learned from or the things that we're learning. So there's a lot of that over the last set and a half years basically of this podcast.
Speaker 3: You know, look at it. I was just looking at Jarbadge on the on the map, like I've totally I totally know that place is. I wanted to go there for the longest time. I've watched all the YouTube videos on it, and like when people go in there and they drave because it's so that's the most isolated town like in the lower forty eight.
Speaker 1: I guess yeah, and it's just a cool neat little town.
Speaker 3: And but I remember watching that going like, there's that's gotta be such good squatch how type because you know, so much of the year it's so dry. There's not gonna be like a ton of me. There's the river, but I'm not sure how much that flows you around, but there's gotta be like springs or something that it's gonna be just you know, like a really high probability of a squatch hitting that spring. You know.
Speaker 1: I would be great to talk to John Maintinski about it, because even just the Wikipedia entry says that Jarbage is the name derived from the Shoshone language meaning devil. Natives believe the nearby hills were haunted, But some of the more in depth like etymological writings that I read online said it it meant something like the thing that lurks in the canyon or the creature that lurks in the canyon, something like that, but that it's given that it's of Shoshone origin. I bet Manzinski would have something to say about that. But there are modern reports that are pretty compelling. I remember reading a few that were submitted to the BFROS database when I was a member, But maybe that's what it turned Matt onto it. I just remember Matt bringing up to me and I'd never heard of it before, and this was probably like twenty ten or something like that, twenty eleven, and then ever since then, it's like, yeah, that's a bucket list spot for sure.
Speaker 3: Have you watched those videos on the town?
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, I've seen a number of videos where people go in there. I think I think the closest place you could fly into is Salt Lake City. I think that would be the best place to fly into and either in a vehicle or you know, if you had access to a vehicle and then drive in. But you got a lot of people carry in their own gas and then they refuel it that there's one gas station in town that's just one pump, and they'll fill up multiple cans to be able to explore the mountains, because again it's like four hours to the next town from Jarbage, the four hours to the next place that has any sort of amenities, gas, food, whatever, So just seems like could be a real as close to like a real adventure as you could get in the lower forty eight pretty much. But I digress. That should be it for the August twenty twenty six Q and A. And then we have a pile of questions from our beloved members the pigeons there to get to so people can join us over there or even this young listener, you know, if you're interested in more recommendations, more like tips for beginning bigfooters, because I love alliteration. There's a lot of that on that side too. But anyway, we can jump to those questions and if, as always, if you're interested there we'll be a link in the show notes. For five dollars a month, you get every episode ad free, and you get a bonus episode. Those come out every Thursday. A lot of people that are new here us say we're going to go over to Patreon now because for us recording it, we record them both at once. But for you the listeners, these episod come out on Mondays and the bonus episodes come out every Thursday. So if you're interested, click the link in the show notes.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, folks, Well that's it for this week. Thanks so much for joining us. If you have any questions, go ahead send to us. You can write, leave a voicemail. We'd love to hear from you. And until next week, y'all keep it squatchy.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to this week's episode of Bigfoot and Beyond. If you liked what you heard, please rate and review us on iTunes, subscribe to Bigfoot and Beyond wherever you get your podcasts, and follow us on Facebook and Instagram at Bigfoot and Beyond podcast. You can find us on Twitter at Bigfoot and Beyond that's an N in the middle, and tweet us your thoughts and questions with the hashtag Bigfoot and Beyond.