Speaker 1: Hey, Dan Zupanski. Here today, we're sharing something special with you. It's a preview from forty eight Hours, one of the top true crime podcasts. On the forty eight Hours podcast, you'll hear award winning CBS News correspondents investigate shocking murder cases and compelling real life dramas from one of television's most watched true crime shows. I'm about to play you a clip from forty eight Hours while you're listening. Follow forty eight Hours on the Wondery app or wherever you get your podcasts. Okay, here's the clip. Forty eight Hours correspondent Peter van zandt takes us back to the night of November thirteenth, two thousand and twenty two, to the University of Idaho, the scene of the now infamous and chilling murders of four young students. Listen in as van zant speaks with a few family members of the victims.
Speaker 2: Moscow will forever be known as the scene of one of the most tragic crimes in American history. There's still sort of a darkness whenever you talk to people. It would be ever part of the university's history and the town's history.
Speaker 3: There are four very very important names in this case Kallay Gonsolvez, Madison Mogen, Xana Cernodle, and Ethan Chapin. And if you're going to remember any names from this case, I ask that it be all four. My name is Olivia Gonzalvez and Kaylie was my little sister.
Speaker 4: Everybody's going to work and you look out the window and there's kids running down the street laughing, and you're just like, how can you be out there playing?
Speaker 3: My daughter's dead?
Speaker 2: You know, Kiala Gonsolvez is gone.
Speaker 3: Stop everything, everybody in the whole world stop, and everything just keeps going.
Speaker 4: My sister, Xanna Kernole is one of the happiest, funniest people I've ever met, and I had the awesome privilege of growing up with her, and I still have a hard time coming to terms with the fact that did it happen.
Speaker 3: Brian Coberg is accused of stabbing these four University of Idaho students in the pre dawn hours on November thirteenth, twenty twenty two. The murder weapon, which was a knife, has never been found. This is the type of survival knife. Brian Coberger did not make his own plea. The judge entered a plea for him of not guilty.
Speaker 4: Excellent penalty is life in prison for.
Speaker 3: The death pack you due to the nature of the crimes the state of I was seeking the death penalty. He was there to kill.
Speaker 1: He came in with the kid.
Speaker 5: I believe he had to kill Kit and you believe that everything right down to the implement of destruction, this large marine knife, that was all planned, all planned.
Speaker 1: It was inhumane.
Speaker 6: You wouldn't do these type of things to any living creature, let alone an innocent human being.
Speaker 5: In August of twenty twenty three, just six weeks before the murdered trial of Brian Koberger was set to begin, he waived his right to a speedy trial. Absolutely, they would have to wait indefinitely for their day in court.
Speaker 3: I was really hoping that we could get this show on the road because the not knowing it just it is agony.
Speaker 4: It is agony.
Speaker 5: Steve and Christie, the parents of Kayley, haven't left anything to chance. After the judge issued a gag order to attorney's and law enforcement quote to preserve the right to a fair trial, they drilled down on their own investigation and are now sharing what they believe that investigation found. Steve says he believes transparency is the best path to justice.
Speaker 6: We're not going to just sit back and cross our fingers and pray that we're going to get justice.
Speaker 5: It has been a long and painful journey for the families of Kaylee Gonsalvez, Matti Mogan, Xana Kernodle, and Ethan Chapin. Do you ever dream of your sister?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had some dreams of her. There's terms where I prayed and ask God to see her ad other time and I did, and excise me some peace knowing that I.
Speaker 3: Know she okay.
Speaker 5: Jasmine Kernodle, who was speaking for the first time, was a senior at Washington State University and lived only fifteen minutes away from her younger sister Xanna. Often mistaken as twins growing up, she says they were best friends.
Speaker 4: She was always fun, she was uplifting and took any god situation turned it into a good one.
Speaker 5: Jeff, what did you love most about your daughter?
Speaker 2: Everything? She cared about people. She was a people persons cared about her friends just as nice as like your family.
Speaker 5: For the first time in her life, Xana had fallen in love with fellow student Ethan Chapin, a triplet who loved his siblings, boats and working on a tulip farm.
Speaker 4: The sweetest kid ever. They were just two happy people and they're just seeing the videos and photos of them, you can just like tell how happy they are. They're just amazing together.
Speaker 5: Sadly, they will now forever be linked in death. On Sunday morning, November thirteenth, Xana's friends started calling Jasmine, saying something bad had happened on King Road. Jasmine rushed over to Xana's house. And while you're driving that eight nine miles over to the house, are you trying to reach your sister?
Speaker 1: Then?
Speaker 5: How many times you call her?
Speaker 3: A lot?
Speaker 4: I called her a lot a lot.
Speaker 5: Her next call was to her father. Jeffrey had been visiting Jasmine for dad's weekend and was on his way home. So you answer the phone, what do you hear?
Speaker 2: You're kind of crying and just telling me to get back to Moscow and meet me Sanna's house, And you know, my heart drops.
Speaker 4: Instantly race back down there.
Speaker 5: The house was cordoned off and swarming with investigators. As soon as Jeffrey said he was Zana's father, he and Jasmine were escorted to the Moscow Police Department and Jasmine, what does the officer say to you and your father?
Speaker 4: Oh, I'll remember exactly just that four people passed away and no one was saying.
Speaker 2: That, Yeah, we'll stay your life.
Speaker 4: Your worst name there.
Speaker 2: You know, what do you do? Can't you damn thing?
Speaker 1: You can hear the rest of this episode on the forty eight hours podcast, and if you're looking for more, go behind the scenes with the new post mortem series every Tuesday, where forty eight hours correspondence and producers share their first hand experiences reporting on the compelling cases they cover. You can also listen to forty eight hours ad free by joining Wondery Plus in the Wondery app or on Apple Podcasts.