Speaker 1: Oh bed that are.
Speaker 2: M h.
Speaker 3: Trigger warn this podcast may include explicit content that will take you out of your comfort zone and make you question reality.
Speaker 4: Listener's discretion is advised. Hello, and welcome back to the third installment of the Conspira Asylum series. This is Cinemania. In this episode, we're gonna be as we hinted around in the last two episodes, talking about all of the pop culture and our favorite picks for mental.
Speaker 5: Illness in cinema and television. Yeah, I mean get we're doing five movies each. Hopefully we don't get carried away talking about each one or this will be a long ass episode.
Speaker 4: There's so much to say about each.
Speaker 5: One, though, I guess so if we take twenty minutes on each one, that's going to be a three hour episode and then some Well.
Speaker 4: I will say that we both recently rewatched American Horror Story Season two asylum.
Speaker 5: Best season in my opinion, in.
Speaker 4: Your opinion, man, And we just finished watching Girl Interrupted millionth time for me, second time.
Speaker 5: For you or third. Maybe I dated a girl in high school who really liked it. I know I watched it once with her, probably maybe another time, but I didn't really remember a lot of it. So we also watched Memento. Oh yeah, so Girl Interrupted as one of Julia's picks, and Memento is one of mine, And they're definitely on the different ends of the style of film that they are. One of them's really intense and fast paced, and the other ones kind of just a long drawn out tale of your old, typical post teen girl going a little Nutso yeah.
Speaker 4: But there's more to it, which I will discuss when we get into We didn't really talk about who's gonna go first or what all, but in my notes, I also had that I wanted to kind of touch on the fact that while I was watching American Horror Story, it occurred to me that when mental illness is portrayed in shows and movies, it almost has like this paranormal vibe, doesn't it to you.
Speaker 5: Like, well, if it occurred to you while you were watching American Horse Story Asylum, that's because it is.
Speaker 4: Well, even when Girl Interrupted, it's like it's so outside of it's such a trip to like look through the eyes of a crazy person, you know, And sometimes I think it really does come from outside of the person themselves. That's the paranormal aspect to me. Like, where does it really come from? You know, people talk about downloads or whatever, is the person? Is it the person or is it like they've opened themselves up to something.
Speaker 5: Well, if you look at how I kind of if you look at the world the way I do, I would say that would fit right into it, because I think consciousness is pretty much everything in existence, and our brain or whatever you want to call our system in our body that does the thinking. I mean, there's more and more evidence all the time coming out that it's not just your brain that consciousness comes from. But anyway, the human body is an antenna that kind of breaks off a piece of that consciousness and isolates it. Now, maybe some people's antennas are a little bent, or maybe they're turned in a different direction that they're picking up some of those extra channels.
Speaker 4: Right, It's like, why do homeless people how are they able to wear a long sleeve shirt on one hundred degree day? Why are homeless people able to you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: You think that makes them mentally ill?
Speaker 4: It makes them supernatural? Okay, well, yeah, you pass a homeless person on one hundred degree day wearing a fucking long sleeve shirt in fucking jeans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we talk about all the time, and I think that's more to do with living outside and what you're living. No, seriously, I mean there's people that live out in the woods and they dress like that no matter how hot it is. I mean I know a lot of people like that.
Speaker 4: But yeah, it's like you pass a homeless guy's like, how do you have flee sa on right now?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 4: It's like they're not even existing on our same plane of reality.
Speaker 5: Well, you know that guy that you alluded to in the beginning of episode one, you were talking about the homeless guy, the one that inspired this series because our whole conversation started around him. But he was a guy that was notorious around Ashland, Oregon, and it didn't matter temperature, time of year, he always had on the same winter coat.
Speaker 4: And tell me that's not paranormal to you.
Speaker 5: Supernatural, I think you could condition your body to do a lot.
Speaker 4: Especially if you got like a host of demon spirits living in you.
Speaker 5: All right, So yeah, if do you want to get into asylum, because it is to me one of those seasons of a show that just kind of throws everything that I'm interested in. I mean, not so much the alien aspect of the show. And for those of you who haven't seen it, I mean, I do imagine there'll be spoilers.
Speaker 4: If if anybody listening to this hasn't watched it, you're gonna want to by the end of this conversation. But yeah, spoilers, because I'm gonna we're gonna talk about it all.
Speaker 5: There's no God, not God. WoT the things I saw? Monsters a heal.
Speaker 2: My editor knows.
Speaker 4: I came here to write a story, and boy do I have a great scoop for him. Now, you gonta get out of here. With or without you, we could help each other.
Speaker 5: Here's the thing, Light, You don't belong here. I believe I can help you. Julius, right about you, you're a monster.
Speaker 6: Why do you look for the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye?
Speaker 5: Pay no attention to the plank.
Speaker 6: In your own Devil doesn't reside in him, mister Walker, He lives right here inside those beautiful grains.
Speaker 7: Just remember, if you look in the face of evil, Evil's gonna look right back at you.
Speaker 5: Well. The whole thing starts with an alien abduction slash encounter that one of the main characters goes through he's part of an interracial couple in what like the late fifties. When was this supposed to be taking place?
Speaker 4: Fifties?
Speaker 5: Oh, it says sixty four.
Speaker 4: Oh.
Speaker 5: This character experiences an alien abduction and he gets linked in with this serial killer that's ravaging the what northeast portion of the country, and he's known to skin people live and has some kind of mother infatuation. But it ends up being that should we just say.
Speaker 4: It, Well, yeah, you can just say it.
Speaker 5: I mean, one of the head shrinks that works in tandem with the psych word is not I wouldn't say he. I think he comes off as a really good guy for the first few episodes, and then you kind of see he's really wanting this other character to confess to being this person. He even kind of conditions him in a way, and then it just kind of unfolds into a whole bunch of other stuff. The aspects of the asylum in it are really noteworthy. It's just everything we've talked about, and then with some Nazi shit thrown in.
Speaker 4: It, right, I was gonna say to it to really encompass everything, they're serial killers.
Speaker 5: Psychiatrists, a paper clip, fucking guy doing experiments.
Speaker 4: Fucking Nazi guy doing experiments in the basement.
Speaker 5: On insane on patient.
Speaker 4: On insane patience. He actually does a little botomy on someone.
Speaker 5: The kind that you were talking, the Walter kind, the Walter method.
Speaker 4: It's got paranormal, spiritual, there's a demon possession.
Speaker 5: There is m K.
Speaker 4: In my opinion, they do this inversion therapy to try to cure gayness, where you have to jack a dude's dick off and then puke in a bucket. I mean it literally happens first.
Speaker 5: It's it's almost like, uh, clockwork Orange, which that older eyes open. That would be an honorable mention that we'll probably at least discuss. But I would say that the way they made her sick while she was watching stuff that she enjoyed and and Clockwork Orange, it was ultra violence. They were showing him, you know, footage of the kind of crimes that he got pleasure from, much as what they do with what's her name, what they do with Lana Banana. They show her lesbian porn and give her something to induce like really insane amounts of nausea. And yeah, there's all sorts of stuff in there, and you get generational trauma with the the serial killer, Bloody Face's son, who he.
Speaker 4: Is a psychiatrist. What do you mean bloody Face is a psychiatry right? But the Sun, No, the Sun's just retard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean, And we won't spoil everything, but I would just say that for me wrapping it up, I think you probably have a lot more to say. I would just say it was a pretty good conspiratorial And I was telling Julia, if they would have thought of the name conspirasylum like we did, it would have been in a goddamn good name because every conspiracy that you could think of, it's like, you know, not all of them, but a good majority of them, big majority of tight in there.
Speaker 4: Yeah. So the first time I watched that season, I was like, ah, fuck, it's a mental asylum, fucking season. I'm not gonna like it because it just triggers me when I watch stuff like that. And I watched it maybe three times on my own. This is probably the fourth time I've watched it all the way through. And if you if you're watching it looking for the conspiratorial stuff and not just trying to enjoy it as a show, there is a lot in there and even the uh the Nazi guy doctor yeah, Doctor Arden.
Speaker 5: They plaid by the guy that says, pig, let's go. The guy from Big and Green Mile.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say to me, he's the guy from Green Mile and always will be.
Speaker 5: Is his name? James Cromwell, the actor. He did a goddamn good job. Yeah, that's him anyway. Sorry to cut you.
Speaker 4: Off, but uh, they use the term project paper clip.
Speaker 5: They actually do say it at one point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean it's truly say it. I don't know a whole lot about the guys who write this stuff for American Horror Story. I knew that they knew something when I watched season one Murder House because of the amount of shit that they put in there that it's like, how do they know that?
Speaker 5: Well, that's one thing about every American Horror Story season. It's just too fucking on the nose with it's so much, and it's like the stuff that used to be more taboo to talk about, and then once it has slipped into the conspiracies. I guist whoever is influencing these bigger shows that are just shoved down our throats. Even American Horse Story followed Glee. These two dudes made Glee, which is not anything I've ever set through more than thirty seconds at a time, maybe walking through a room, but as far as I know, it's like a musical and a kind of a high school set. He never fucking watched that, No, but yeah.
Speaker 4: And I'm obsessed with American horror Story. Isn't that crazy?
Speaker 5: Yeah? But it's their world's apart and these What I'm saying is these guys struck gold with this Glee show, and then the next thing they do is American horse Story, and it's just like, how the fuck did you go from that to that? I mean, once you get that mainstream success and then you're making this heavily conspiracy laden series about every fucking season is a whole new story, and it's just I mean, by the time you get to the one with Lady Gaga Hotel, Yeah, it's just like, Jesus Christ, what are they not going to say with you?
Speaker 4: That's what I was gonna say, is like when I watch Murder House, I was like, well, what the fuck because they put so much stuff in there? And then when I watched Asylum this last time, it's like, why don't they just come out and spell it for you. I don't know if there's that much in Kevin, but it is my favorite season. Anyways. I was gonna say, close to the end of Asylum, the one chick is talking about, Oh, they're gonna make a movie based on my documentary or my book or whatever, and she said she wants Tuesday Well to play her. Did that not seem random to you?
Speaker 5: Did it seem random? Yeah to you, No, not after listening you talk about Tuesday Well, if you didn't know.
Speaker 4: Who she was and you just heard that name who that was?
Speaker 5: Not if you didn't know, I mean, how many people have either dove down the Tuesday Weld rabbit hole or had the privilege of marrying somebody who did. I don't honestly know. If it wasn't for you, if she's ever somebody I would have looked into. I mean, yeah, she turns up in all of these weird places that you can see in daylight. But I never would have thought, well, let's connect those dots like you did. So, yeah, it would seem random to nine out of ten people watching this.
Speaker 4: Well, for me, it was like, of all the people she could have said to play her.
Speaker 5: And if it weren't, if it was just some conspiracy candy. They could have said like Marilyn Monroe or something, but she would have been dead by then though, right, she died in sixty two.
Speaker 4: Maybe she literally could have said any of the popular Tuesday.
Speaker 5: Well was not like she's not a starlet like a lot of like she could have said. It would have been like today if she would have said, I want to get played by who I don't know, like a third rate actress Rihanna.
Speaker 4: Well, no, she's oh you're saying if she like an example of day World. Oh, it would be like literally saying, uh, Lily Raby is.
Speaker 5: Just play Lily Raby.
Speaker 4: I don't even know how to say her last name.
Speaker 5: Well that for people, that's that's the actress that portrayed Sister Mary Eunice in this Asylum too. But yeah, anyway, we're going off on a Tuesday World tangent. But it is a good point because, yeah, your hackles go up once you've done some Laurel Canyon slash Tuesday World research that they would have picked that name. But I mean, there's so much in this there.
Speaker 4: Also, when she goes back to the asylum and she's got like that film crew with her. She says, verbatim a line from the Heraldo.
Speaker 5: Rivera expos Right, and she so this uh Atlanta character, Lanta Winters, who by the end of the series is a cutthroat author who has lied her way to infamy as this victim, this survivor. You know, she was almost one of a Bloody Face's victims, was raped and impregnated. Now has the sun on her ass and she just she turns into this cutthroat bitch. And when she started, it was almost like she was based on that woman we talked about who was the undercover reporter.
Speaker 4: Right. You could tell they did some not some, but they did research into like real life scenarios to like include them into this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and it would be interesting to see like what exactly she is based on, because she is an amalgamation of many things. Like you said, she's even spouting Geraldo Rivera lines.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's all I had for asylum. I mean, it's all in there, literally the supernatural aspect of the Paranormal Extraterrestrial MK Ultra project paper clip. It's based in the Laurel Canyon era. I mean, it's got everything.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this is at first I thought it was upstate New York. But it's not. They said at one point, the state of such and such absorb because it goes from being a Catholic run institute to by the time you know the show's about wrapped up, the state steps in and it just becomes this fucking violin cabinet for the dregs of society. And yeah, anyway, it's I think it's the best season. I think that as far as this, all of them, I've always said it was my favorite.
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I'm glad you're re watching Murder House.
Speaker 5: I like Murder House. It's it's more up your alley because of your interests, and I would say season two is more up my alley. But they're both great. Coven to me was my favorite seed kind of like watching almost like Twilight or something.
Speaker 4: I'm gonna try to sell you on Coven because I feel like it's targeted towards women to enjoy.
Speaker 5: Okay, but there's a lot of very sexist.
Speaker 4: Well, there is a lot of like what I would consider to be true stuff mixed with a little bit of fantasy stuff.
Speaker 5: It's got all sorts, all right, Well, we don't need to argue in front of everybody about our favorite American horse story series.
Speaker 4: I have decided to either open or close this episode with Tom.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 5: They play that shit on loop. This French mm hmm. Whatever kind of music you would call that.
Speaker 4: I don't know, but it's it's iconic.
Speaker 5: Maybe French pop music of the bitties. Who knows.
Speaker 4: If you're listening to it, you belong at Briarcliff.
Speaker 5: All right, let's get into the movies. You first, No, you're going first, because we just want going. It's we're going in. So we we had a little draft pick and we're just gonna go in the order that they were picked.
Speaker 4: Okay, what was my first pick?
Speaker 5: The one, the one that is the freshest on both of our minds. We literally wrapped up that movie right before stepping into the recording room. In nineteen sixty nine, The Wild Ones went to Woodstock, The Unlucky Ones went to war.
Speaker 2: There's something happened.
Speaker 5: But if you didn't know where you were going, you have.
Speaker 4: The distinction of being the only scene of not going on to college. I don't have a plan. I just don't want to end up like my mother Susanna Wis.
Speaker 5: They said you to Claymore.
Speaker 2: The best place in the world for someone like you is less than a half an hour from my heart.
Speaker 4: Welcome to Claymore's an.
Speaker 8: I guess I'm puzzled as to why it does I have to be in a mental institution.
Speaker 4: Call me a cab.
Speaker 5: Okay, you're a cab. You've chased a bottle of aspirin, the bottle of vodka. I had a headache.
Speaker 4: But the one step. Now jam this in my order. Listen, your a order is in your chest. Good to know.
Speaker 2: What that has?
Speaker 4: This leads, Oh, I don't I don't need them.
Speaker 5: I'm going to have a problem.
Speaker 7: Look at.
Speaker 9: Is there something about sex which lifts your feelings of despair?
Speaker 4: Have you ever had sex highs and lows? Increasingly through year? Lisa think she's hot because she's such a.
Speaker 8: Bad I'm asociat know what you're gay?
Speaker 1: Uncertainty about goals and a generally pessimistic attitude are often observed.
Speaker 4: That's me, that's everybody. Well, this will be something that if you're a long time listener to my show, you've already heard me talk about in the Wizard of Oz episode, and a lot of people ask me to cover the Wizard of Oz stuff on their show. But it's been so long since I recorded that episode, there's a lot of I would actually have to go back and listen to my Wizard of Oz. I put so much stuff in there that I mean, it was like a I don't know, it was way over an hour of random stuff about Wizard of Oz. But Girl Interrupted ended up being a big part of it. Well, I will just ask you if you got anything out of it before I go on my big tangent.
Speaker 5: I'll just I'll let you dominate this one, because I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan of the movie even while rewatching it years years later. I mean, we're talking about half my lifetime ago that I saw this over half, and I think that it it's kind of like a moody time piece with some stuff thrown in there. As far as the mental institution that the plot circles around, it's it's like a Whoopi Goldberg, who plays the what would you call her? She's not a nurse, she's like that, she's like basically whatever. She's the nurse ratchet of this place.
Speaker 4: She's so nice though, Yeah, and she's not like a nurse ratchet.
Speaker 5: Everybody calls her the inward and she just lets it slide off her back like there are Milk Gibson doing it and uh she she's a good character, you know, kind of holds the movie together. You get to see Angelina Jolie at her craziest, she's basically just playing herself. And then you get to see some of these other smaller time actors for the time of you know, Britney Murphy, Clea Deval and the acting is amazing. The story is good and I didn't know this, but I thought it might be the case it's based It's based on a real story. Susanna Caseon's a real person. Did you know that?
Speaker 4: Uh No, But that's not got anything to do with what they did with the movie. I promise you.
Speaker 5: I think I'm telling you my thoughts and then you're gonna go on your big tangent.
Speaker 4: But saying I'm just saying they can take something like this like it was a real girl and yeah, they made a story about her life, and they would.
Speaker 5: Well, it's the scripts based on the memoir, so it's a real story. Which is the only point I was making was it seemed like it was a biographical type movie when I watched it.
Speaker 4: But this time it's stuff in to make it not une of.
Speaker 5: Course, but the just this is just the setup. And my whole point was if you want to see like gnarly treatment of patience and an insane asylum like you'll see in American horror story Asylum, this movie is more of just like a story. But yeah, it's it's interlaced with all sorts of stuff that Julia is going to talk about. But on its face, I wouldn't say it's a great movie. I would.
Speaker 4: I mean, I only now appreciate it because of my conspiracy mind. So in my opinion, one of the first movies ever created that was just an entire mkol for a project was Wizard of Oz. Right, I think that this movie is just paying homage to MK ultra through references to the Wizard of Oz. And it's actually throughout the entire movie. I don't know if it was in a memoir or not. It would be odd if it was, but they had they snuck so many Wizard of Oz references into this movie.
Speaker 5: Well, and they're not even snuck, they're very blatant. It's from the very first scene where Susannah played by wine owner writer walks into it. There's ship laid all over the bed right of one of the patients.
Speaker 4: Yes, her roommate is obsessed with reading the OZ books. But think about this, right, Britney Murphy's cat's name.
Speaker 5: Ruby, right, it's a her once you pay attention to how often it shows up and then you see the cat's names Ruby, I would I would think that one would be obvious to most people. Maybe not well.
Speaker 4: And also yellow brick road, right, Britney Murphy, She's in all yellow kitchens, all yellow.
Speaker 5: And then well, even when they sneak down into the tunnel, that shit's lit in like a yellow hue.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah. And again, for people who have listened to my podcast for a very long time, you can go back and find this episode that I did all about the Wizard of Oz, where I show you how it was maybe the first because it was in technicolor. You remember it was like the first anyways, much like Alice in Wonderland, Wizard of Oz is just a big MK experiment. And there are so many references in this movie about mental illness to Wizard of Oz. It's almost like they're telling you without telling you. Mental illness and MK mind control stuff are one and the same. You know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Well, they do go hand in hand.
Speaker 4: Her roommate's obsessed with Wizard of Oz. She's got all the books out.
Speaker 5: There's the play the scene. Yeah, they play the scene with the it.
Speaker 4: Is all the dream I'm leaving, bye bye.
Speaker 5: Everybody's crying.
Speaker 4: In the last scene where she's saying goodbye to her roommate. They even have her in like a Dorothy esque looking like pull over dress thing with the shirt on underneath of it. Yeah, and I think that it's just another I have found Wizard of Oz references in a ton of movies that are There's a ton of Wizard of Oz references in The Shining too.
Speaker 5: It's latent in pop culture for sure. I mean it turns up all over the place.
Speaker 4: But I feel like when you see it, it's a signal.
Speaker 5: Right. Even the song Somewhere Over the Rainbow is a well known trigger. Like these programmed people in Hollywood have talked.
Speaker 4: About that it's like through the looking glass. So when for me, this movie, regardless of if it's based on a true story or not, what they did when they created the movie was sneak a bunch of stuff in there. If you want all of the examples. You can go back and find my Wizard of Oz episode and listen to all of it. Because I talk about the shining, I talk about girl interrupted, I talk about a lot of stuff. But yeah, that to me was something that stuck out and I went back and rewatched it, and it's like when she goes to order ice cream and she says that she wants rainbow sprinkles, not chocolate, she like makes that kind of you.
Speaker 5: Know, Yeah, the girls get taken out for an ice cream and everything goes to shit, but she's seducing the young man at the counter.
Speaker 4: Yeah, to me, it was just like one of those things where they've already put a bunch of Wizard of Oz stuff and then when they go get ice cream, she's like rainbow not chocolate. Like she makes a point to say, there's just little stuff sprinkled.
Speaker 5: Well, what would you say? Obviously, Susannah would be Dorothy uh Lisa portrayed by Angelina. She would be the one without a heart. She's constantly I think she.
Speaker 4: Would be the Wicked Witch of the West, No, or maybe even Glinda.
Speaker 5: She has no heart, but.
Speaker 4: The Scarecrow gains a heart and she doesn't.
Speaker 5: Is it the tin man that doesn't have a heart, Scarecrow doesn't have a brain.
Speaker 4: Scarecrow doesn't have a brain.
Speaker 5: And obviously the compulsive liar, she lacks courage. I mean, I don't know. This analysis is just being pulled out of my ass. I'm really not standing by handing any of this, Babs.
Speaker 4: I mean, you're on the right track. I think that they're literally trying to to tell the Wizard of Oz story through m K through this person's memoir.
Speaker 5: So who would be the wizard telling you to look behind the curtain? Would that be the don't you?
Speaker 4: She called her the Great and Wonderful Doctor Wick.
Speaker 5: As if Wick Wizard's where's the Gomatria charts in Wizard.
Speaker 4: Of Oz, he's called the Great and Wonderful Oz and she calls her the Great and Wonderful doctor Wick. So there's literally a million references to the Wizard of Oz and that, oh for sure.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's all over the place.
Speaker 4: So doctor Wick is the Wizard. I think Woopy Goldberg could be Glinda.
Speaker 5: Who's Toto Ruby?
Speaker 2: No? Yeah, what not?
Speaker 5: Who is the lady with the burns on her faces? I mean, you get a whole ridge in these are like people that probably came from well off families. What he calls it a four star resort or a five star resort compared to some of the state hospitals she's worked out. But you get people in there who have tried to commit suicide, people with eating disorders, and it's it's you know, not co ed.
Speaker 4: It's really strictly he's getting raped by her dad.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Angelina tells her that she liked it, so she killed herself. I mean, there's some moments in this movie where I'm thinking they're definitely paying some homage to Once Flew Over the Cuckoo's Net.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and she would be more of the RP. McMurtry or is it McMurtry or McMurphy, McMurphy, McMurphy, it would be I think Angelina would be Jack Nicholson. I don't know.
Speaker 2: Which.
Speaker 4: We'll get to that one. Don't worry, that's gonna that's the last one on my list to talk about it.
Speaker 5: I think it might be the last one we talked about. Well we can move on then.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but just saying do you see, I mean I'm not stretched in here, right, you see what I'm talking about with the of course.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, no, definitely, it's could you.
Speaker 4: Appreciate the movie a little bit differently with that in mind?
Speaker 5: I mean I had it in mind, oh when we watched it this time, because you kept pointing it out every time it came up. Yeah, so yeah, I'm talking about just as an overall cinematic experience. I just never even when I watched it when it first came out, I just never thought it was like a five star movie.
Speaker 4: Since we're on just the second one right now, I do think we should end it with one to ten kops.
Speaker 5: I'd give Girl Interrupted six kicks out of.
Speaker 4: Ten, American Horror Story.
Speaker 5: Asylum eleven out of ten.
Speaker 4: I'm giving American.
Speaker 5: I'm allowed to give it an eleven out of ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'll do ten out of ten kicks for Asylum.
Speaker 5: But you tell me I'm crazy for that being my favorite series you're giving anything.
Speaker 4: I'm not rating it based on the other the other seasons. I'm just rating.
Speaker 5: So it's got a perfect rating.
Speaker 4: So you an Covin has twenty out of.
Speaker 5: Tin, can't go above eleven like spinal Taps.
Speaker 4: It's eleven Girl Interrupted just for the weird MK Wizard of our stuff. I'm gonna give it seven out of ten kokes.
Speaker 5: Oh so it's you're only slightly higher than my rating. I was expecting you to do a higher one. All right, Well, next up, we have my first pick, which is fight Club. I want you to hit me as hard as you can. Why. How much can you know about yourself? You've never been in a fight. Wait, let me start earlier. Like many of you, I was stuck. You want me to deprioritize my current reports. Yeah, until you guys a status upgrade.
Speaker 2: Make these your primary reaction items.
Speaker 5: I couldn't sleep, No, you can't die.
Speaker 10: Form inso oniah up.
Speaker 5: Through catalogs and wonder what kind of dining set defines me as a person. This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time. I prayed for a different life.
Speaker 2: Soap.
Speaker 4: I make the soapd and.
Speaker 5: This is how I'm met Tyler dirty.
Speaker 2: Come on, hit before I lose my nerve.
Speaker 4: Wow, hit me in the ear.
Speaker 5: It was on the tip of everyone's tongue.
Speaker 2: Can I be next?
Speaker 5: We just gave it a name, gentlemen, Welcome to fight Club. I would say it's always working its way in and out of my top five favorite movies. And it's also based on a novel, which the novel isn't that good of a book. It's almost like Chuck Paul and Nook, the author of Fight Club, writes books that would make really good films in the right hand. But there's only been two that I know of. Choke was the other one that wasn't good, but fight Club for the nineties was it was almost like watching the Matrix whoa and they took an old trope, you know, oh, this guy's actually the same person as this guy, and put a new twist on it. But the movie really does explore mental illness from like this macabre kind of And I always said that David Lyncher, he almost feels industrial, like that that genre of music. Which is funny too, because Trent Reznor ended up being the guy that scores all his movies. But he's got this, like, you know, seven fight Club. He's done some lighter movies, but most of the time you just feel like you're rolling around in a gutter. When you watch a David Fincher movie and Fight Club, you're definitely in a fucking gutter. It's like that dark gutter in everybody's mind. This main character Edward Norton just kind of rolls with it and programs himself to believe that he's two different people. And it was one of those like sixth sense kind of twists ending where you just left the theater shaking your head, almost wanting to go right back in and watch it all over again. But for me, it just shows like this character breaking down, and as he breaks down throughout the movie, the hints that he is the Tyler Durden Brad Pitt character. I just think it's a genius way of like looking at the darker side of a psyche and like what a torment in mind could do if they just rolled with this idea. I mean, you can go into a CIA back room and be programmed to think all sorts of shit, but maybe some people could just do it to themselves.
Speaker 4: Do you ever wish you could go back and watch something for the first time?
Speaker 5: Uh? Not really. I think that one of the things I enjoy is watching a movie that I've already seen that I think is amazing with somebody like you, and you get to like see it vicariously, like it's almost fresh. But once I've seen a movie that blows my mind, I just want to watch it for the second time again, like really, oh yeah, because you get this like bomb go off in your head with some of these films, and then when you go back with already the you know, the foreknoledge of what is going to be the end of this movie that blew your mind, then you can start like dissecting it all the hints, all the different things you missed the first time.
Speaker 4: You never get jealous when you watch stuff like that with me and I've only I'm seeing it for the first time, and you're jealous. Yeah, because like sometimes I wish I could go back and like watch something for the first time and like get that feeling of the first time I watched it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know what if that eternal sunshine of the Spotless Mind technology was really you could just erase the memory where you saw this movie. Well, no, you're not like erasing it, No, but would you do it if like you could just Okay, well, I'm giving your ways.
Speaker 4: Here, anybody to fuck with my mind. I'm just saying when you.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I'm letting someone hypnotize you or letting someone put you under for some weird shit to your head. It's just fun.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying, because.
Speaker 5: Maybe with neural ink you could do this.
Speaker 4: No, thank you. Uh, that was the first time I had watched Fight Club.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you've only seen it once, and I was not.
Speaker 4: You're saying that there's little clues that he ended up being I saw no clues. I was so convinced because you're watching that Pitt was a separate person and was not for you said, there's like clues that, oh, you start putting it together that they're the same person. Not all right, well I did not.
Speaker 5: You will watch it, maybe I'm retarded. We'll watch it again within the next few months, and I will pause it and show you every hint and you'll start to go, holy shit, they're everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But that's why I said, do you ever wish you could watch something for the first time again? Because I'm telling you it's not that obvious.
Speaker 5: It's not obvious the first time you watch. That's the beauty of it.
Speaker 4: And actually I came to you weeks later trying to find fucking plot holes because I was like, but wait a minute, Well, when.
Speaker 5: You get into a movie where you're dealing with like a story through the perspective of somebody who's mentally ill, plot holes can be all over the place, but I really don't think Fight Club has any.
Speaker 4: Well, no, that's why I brought it to you because I was like, wait a second, if they're supposed to be the same person, what about da da da da da? And you were like no, because but anyways, Yeah, I just was curious sometimes that when I'm showing you a movie for the first time, I'll be like, I wonder what he's thinking, like because I remember the first time I watched it and loving it, or like feeling a certain way, you know, like the first time I watched Terry Potter Best Day Ever.
Speaker 5: Is not your favorite movie, no, but it was.
Speaker 4: So magical for me because I had read all the books and then it was like it were added to life.
Speaker 5: And how old were you when you so you were the exact right aids for that because it starts at a third grade reading level and then she upset so she can grow up, or so that the readers to the initial work can grow up with the characters.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So that ship came out when I was in high school, and I just don't have any bone in my body that's tickled by like straight up fantasy, even when it's ead when it's like, and I know this for a fact that she had access to all sorts of occultic information because she's not just guessing. And I think that aspect of it is interesting, Like who the fuck is this bitch? Now She's like in this very mainstream public outroar about being a transfebe and all her fucking you know, the people who all present company excluded, But most people who love Harry Potter and more of the costumes and waited in line to see the movies have purple hair, and they're all for that stuff. And well, you know, she's almost like a chaos agent.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say that's it's interesting that you say that, because it's very true. I mean, I did wear costumes and go wait in line for midnight releases and stuff.
Speaker 5: People didn't grow out of that. You know, they're very they're very torn on whether they can get on board with the work of JK.
Speaker 4: And to bring it full circle, Harry Potter fans belatricks Lestrange is in Fight Club.
Speaker 5: Okay, who's the fuck's that?
Speaker 4: The chicky fucks?
Speaker 5: Oh we're talking Helen a bottom part.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Oh, and I would to me one of the biggest hints, and people who have seen Fight Club a number of times might have noticed this watching the actions of Edward Norton's character, who doesn't have a name by the way, is Tyler Durton you find out, but he just doesn't have a name through the whole movie, but watching her reaction to him when he's fucking her one minute and then telling her to leave, and you know, he's fucking her as Tyler Durton my house and she just like looks at him and she's in love with him, obviously, but she's also like putting up. But you watch this movie through her eyes and it's just like, you know, like she's just thrown off because he's watch he calls him doctor Jekyl and mister asshole at one point or something like that. But yeah, Fight Club, I, unless you have anything to say, I'll let you rate it first.
Speaker 4: Oh for mental illness, Yeah, I'm giving it ten out of ten.
Speaker 5: Kokes Kar well obviously me too.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I maybe if I get to the end of the movie and I'm genuinely shocked that's a ten out of ten. Coups also because it's like they got you going.
Speaker 5: It's also worth note that the conspiracy stuff that sprinkled it. In fight Club, you get to see Project Mayhem is legitimately based on many things that are real that we've seen in the last few years. Supposedly the movie or the book was supposed to take place in twenty twenty four and like the all these collapses and you know, you get I mean, the book was written in the mid nineties and you hadn't seen a lot of stuff specific year. Well, he's written books since that. We're even more prophetic about where culture is going. And Chuck Paul Nook is somebody worth looking into. JJ Vance likes to talk about him and how you know. One thing to mention about him is he was part of the Cacophony Society, which has probably got CIA roots. If you really look into it, it looks a lot like co Intel.
Speaker 4: Pre JJ has talked about Fight Club before too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've talked about it when we were talking about other things and it's come up.
Speaker 4: It's a great example of many things. Yeah, by the way, if they sold it, I would definitely buy the soap. Got it No like the real soap. Oh take fat siphoned off fat ladies asses and make it into soap no, you know, definitely by it because that is true what they said in the movie.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I can appreciate this aspect of it. Maybe a lot of people who listen to my show might have heard, but I don't know if I've mentioned it on here. I make soap for a living, And when they steal fat from the lipel section clinic and then with an ironic twist, sell these rich women they're on fat asses back to them and these exquisite bars of soap. It's one of the best scenes too, when they're in the department store and he's leaning against the counter and he's freeballing it and his dressed pants are like down below his dick root. I mean to me, this is the greatest role Brad Pitt has ever had. Oh it's not Benjamin, but no another Fincher pit Croak collaboration, I am. I will say as a side known, I'm excited about the spinoff slash maybe sequel two. Once upon a time in Hollywood that Quentin Tarantino ended up bagging because he's only making one more movie and he decided to go with something else. But Brad Pitt was so attached to this that David Fincher was allowed to pick it up, so I think it might be a Netflix thing. But if you guys are Brad Pitt slash Fincher fans, and it's probably going to be at least executively produced by Tarantino. He'll be a consultant. But the script was apparently mostly already written, and hopefully we'll see at least a cameo with Rick Dalton.
Speaker 4: I would love to see it, all.
Speaker 5: Right, Well, Rambling's aside. Yeah, my second pick was Donnie Darko.
Speaker 11: It was as though this plan had been with him all his life, pondered through the seasons, now in his fifteenth year, crystallized with the pain of puberty.
Speaker 2: So why'd you move here?
Speaker 12: My mom had to get a restraining order against my stepdad.
Speaker 2: He has emotional problems. Oh I have those two.
Speaker 5: What kind of emotional problems are to a man new friend?
Speaker 2: Real or imaginary? Donnie imaginary.
Speaker 8: I'm going to tell you a little story today about a young man whose life was completely destroyed by these instruments of fear.
Speaker 2: I haven't seen stuff.
Speaker 7: Donnie is experiencing what is commonly called a daylight hallucination.
Speaker 5: I have to obey him. He's saved my life. Have you ever seen a portle? Has he ever told you about his friend Frank? The giant bunny rabbit?
Speaker 2: The what.
Speaker 4: Every living thing follows along set path? And if you could see your path or channel, then you could see into the future.
Speaker 5: Right, I'm not going to be able to continue this conversation.
Speaker 2: Don't worry.
Speaker 5: You got away with it.
Speaker 4: What is going to happen?
Speaker 3: I only have a few days left before they catch me.
Speaker 5: When's it going to stop?
Speaker 4: You should already know that.
Speaker 5: It's also another movie that Julia had not seen until recently.
Speaker 4: And yeah, see that's another one first time.
Speaker 5: For me and you never had a second time. And also it's worth note that Donnie Darko was an indie movie, and as often happens, once a bigger studio bought it out, they made this cut that most people have seen when they've seen Donnie Darko, especially if you saw it in the early days. But when you watch the director's cut, it's a lot less cryptic. It kind of explains the whole time travel element. And so for people who haven't seen this movie, they take mental illness time travel.
Speaker 4: It's a mind fun It's got.
Speaker 5: Some mc martin element to it with the Patrick Swayze. He's like a motivational speaker doing the all show. They'll all light and love and in a nutshell, Donnie is a troubled boy living in an upper middle class family in some mountained area suburbia somewhere, and he gets visits from a bunny who's like a guy in a freaky bunny costume. And for those of you you've seen it, will just make it quick. It tells him to do things. It's got like almost dark elements. You wonder if he's a villain. At one point he's burning shit down. He exposes this pedophile.
Speaker 4: Thing is just creepy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And I always said Richard Kelly, who directed this, it was his debut. He went on to do a few others. He was almost like wanting to be David Lynch.
Speaker 4: And I can definitely see that.
Speaker 5: Richard. If you're out there and you happen to hear this and that's not true, I apologize, but that's what it looks like to me, is you were a big Lynch fan. And his second movie is crazy. His third movie is the one you've seen The box where if you push this button, someone you don't know will die. But you'll get a million bucks, probably higher than that, but anyway, Yeah, that's my thoughts on Donnie Darko is it's just such a It's an iconic movie in the indie scene in the nineties, and then it's got a pretty good cast for a movie. It's almost like Tarantino in his early days pulling in all these actors for Reservoir Dogs. You could see jill and Hall in his like almost infancy. I mean he looked like a I mean he's portraying like a sixteen year old kid or something. He was probably twenty five.
Speaker 4: He's really liked him in Zodiac.
Speaker 5: Yeah. It's funny too because we sat down to watch Prisoners the other night and you're like, I don't like Jake Jillen Hall.
Speaker 4: I don't like him.
Speaker 5: That that's you liked him and Donny Darko, yous you like him? Okay, I wasn't aware of this discrepancy. You liked him in Prisoners.
Speaker 4: My favorite from him is Prisoners.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the best way I liked him.
Speaker 4: Okay, in Donnie Darko and in Zodiac, but my favorite has to be Prisoners because he was so outside of that weird dorky YEI Gronnie guy.
Speaker 5: He played it tormented motherfucker and he was kind of buff. Well, he got buff. He did that movie where he played a boxer where what's his name fuck? One of the best actors, Christian Bells his brother. Anyway, we're getting off in the weeds. I would say Donnie Darko cult classic movie. Most people have probably seen it. If you haven't watched it, I would say, but yeah, close out on your thoughts and we'll give this baby a rating.
Speaker 4: Well, for me, it was obviously the first time I had seen it. I did find the soundtrack, and I mean the entire movie was just It's one of those ones that puts you in this perpetual, weird hallucinogenic state, like a Lynch movie. Yeah, the imagery, the sounds, the music. Yeah, it was definitely one of those. You know, was I high? I don't know if I was pregnant yet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we watched this within the last few months. You were definitely not high.
Speaker 4: I wasn't high.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I could have swore you gave me my head off your weed. Pinch.
Speaker 5: No, this is too.
Speaker 4: That was high.
Speaker 5: You don't need drugs for Donnie Darko feel weird.
Speaker 4: D No, but I'm gonna give it. I'll give it nine out of ten. Pukes, I'll give it nine out of ten.
Speaker 5: Well, we're on par with that. You're giving it night, I'm giving it nine out of ten. I think that a movie like Donnie Darko, even when they release a director's cut and try to over explain it, it's still just as missing something. I don't know. It's it's not like what to me. And you know, I'm being really critical here because I love films and used to be what I wanted to do. But I would just say there's just a little something missing. But for a dude's first movie that directors pretty good and for what he pulled off, a nine out of ten, and I am, you know, I don't give tens easily.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, you know, in American horror story Asylum, there's all an array of different mental illness. It's like a candy shop. You got chronic mess, debaters and you know, xyz schizophrenia, murderers, blah and girl interrupted. I would say she's They say she has borderline personality.
Speaker 5: Which is a fucking broad term, which is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but I would say like depression obviously, Brittany Murphy had like incest and like self hen she.
Speaker 5: Was it was like a trauma victim.
Speaker 4: But and then we have split personality in Fight Club. What Donny Darko, I mean like schizophrenia.
Speaker 5: I think that's what they so in the movie he's seen a it looks like maybe a privately hired shrink for the sun. And it seems like when she brings the parents in that she's hinting at she's afraid he's slipping into schizophrenia.
Speaker 4: So imagine if that's what it's like to have schizophrenia, I'd kill myself. Okay, if having schizophrenia makes your life, Donny Darko didn't take the long I.
Speaker 5: Know, makes you see bunnies that go hello donner burn.
Speaker 4: It god so creepy. I mean, think about that.
Speaker 5: It wouldn't be pleasant. No, And I do know people in my own family who start to slip into this weird almost early dementious slash craziness. And they did men shill themselves. I mean it's the Yeah, dementia isn't schizophrenia.
Speaker 4: But they see stuff though my grandma did. She used to say, she used to tell them maybe mortifying stuff.
Speaker 5: Maybe they are more connected than.
Speaker 4: The That's what I've always said. The psychiatric Alzheimer's too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and Alzheimer's is a form of dementia, but schizophrenia is kind of its own branch of crazy. Yeah, if you ask these people, I mean, they try to like branch everything off and label it and give you a pill for this and a pill for that. But as far as like full blown dimension and Alzheimer's, I don't know that they ever medicate them or do they.
Speaker 4: Yes, they do. Why they medicated my grandma and my grandpa. They said, my grandpa had Alzheimer's.
Speaker 5: But just for the dementia, Like I can imagine giving them a relaxant, but like something to treat the dementia.
Speaker 4: They have all kinds of stuff. I'm sure if we watch Hulu long enough. Obviously men did something for it.
Speaker 5: Oh I did. I had a side note when we were talking about girl interrupted, so just a little set up Julia and I. I don't know if she's always been this way, but I am this way. I hate commercials. To me, the fucking extra five dollars or whatever you have to play on Hulu or whatever platform using did not get the commercials. But now it's like Amazon Primes got them, but we had to go to Tubi to watch Girl Interrupted. And it's great because it's free, but the ads are like every overwhelming, and I would say seventy five percent of them were like pharmacies, pharmaceutical shit. And well, we saw this one called like Viklars doll clar and it was Julia called it a booster for other SSRIs because.
Speaker 4: What's called anti depressive butster.
Speaker 5: What really stuck out to me was when they said suicidal tendencies, especially in children or young adults. I was like, first of all, why are you putting kids on this shit? Secondly that you know that it fucking causes young people to want to kill themselves, and then it enlisted these god awful fucking side effects. It took like thirty seconds to list, and they said they said it's common, these are common, thanks are, And they didn't even speed it up like some of them do. They're just saying it in like an NPR voice and there's butterflies floating around, yeall, No, the's chestnuts. Yeah. Anyway, I just thought it was very fitting that we're watching Girl Interrupted and we're being interrupted and bombarded with pharmaceutical commercials for people who need mental fucking fixes.
Speaker 4: They have gone so far as to say, oh, you're taking your antidepressant and it's still not working. Here's an anti depress it.
Speaker 5: Booster boosters are fucking the new normal. Baby. Well you know, if you're up in Canada, they do it the right way. They're just like, why don't you just kill yourself? Well help?
Speaker 4: I just can't imagine like somebody saying, instead of trying something else, we're gonna keep you on your antidepressant and we're gonna add you a booster.
Speaker 5: Indeed, all right, Julia's second choice is as good as it gets.
Speaker 4: Oh boy, I forgot that was my second draft.
Speaker 7: Pick open his curtains for him so he can see God's beautiful work and he'll know that even things like this happen for the best.
Speaker 5: What do they teach you to talk like this?
Speaker 13: In some Panama City sailor want to hump hump bar sell crazy someplace else?
Speaker 5: We're all stocked up here.
Speaker 13: Try Star Pictures invites you to meet a truly appalling individual.
Speaker 4: He's a freak show.
Speaker 2: He's the worst person I ever met.
Speaker 13: If you want to you want to make an appointment doctor Green, How can you diagnose someone as an obsessive compulsive disorder, and then act as though I had some choice about Barginghi, you have.
Speaker 4: Messed your last floor.
Speaker 5: You have you seen my dog with a little little face little uh oh?
Speaker 4: You have no idea what your work means to me?
Speaker 2: How do you write women so well?
Speaker 13: I think of a man and I take away reason and accountability.
Speaker 3: Shut up, kid.
Speaker 9: Definitely a package you don't want to open or touch.
Speaker 5: I love you, I tell you, buddy, I'd be the luckiest guy alive if that did it for me as good as it gets.
Speaker 4: So this one is kind of on the lighter side of mental illness in my opinion, because you don't have to be locked up somewhere if you have OCD y lucky for you and right. I have, always since I was a kid, struggled with obsessive tendencies.
Speaker 5: I think it's common more and more as time goes by, because our society is so loud and overwhelming and demanding of your attention at all times. So I do think that normal people will get a little obsessive of having to live in are ever technologically expanding, fucking society, which makes me really worried about kids today.
Speaker 4: It makes me worried because if if our baby is anything like me, I'm gonna know, like if he has like ticks what are they called ticks.
Speaker 5: Like Jack Nicholson in this movie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's kind of it'll be sad because I know how how it felt when I was little, like I always had to have some sense of control over my environment. But maybe that's because I had a psychopath for a father, but I always felt like I needed to have a little bit of control over my surroundings.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well, you went on Deplorable Janet, Yeah, Deplorable Nation, shout out Janet, we love you. You went on her show, and she actually said that to you, like, you know, you had to control your situation with the way you're brought up, lack of guidance, lack of an adult presence, and then like just there's so much else going on that can add to that once the foundation is laid. But I would say it's definitely common a lot of anxiety and obsessive traits to kind of go hand in hand to well.
Speaker 4: And I just want to make this clear because I feel like people and we're gonna maybe tie this into the end of the episode, but the fetishization of mental illness. Oh CD does not mean you like to have all your spoons in one drawer and all of your it can. But for me, I wanted to have a sense of control over my environment. But also I had obsessive thoughts that everyone I loved was gonna die. I would obsess over how they were going to die, to the point where I would like make myself cry or like have nightmares that everybody I loved was gonna die horribly and I was gonna die.
Speaker 5: Our kid is fucked because both parents. I used to lay awake in bed night after night dreaming up misery, yeah, and impending, not just potential misery. As soon as I found out that eventual, even if she stayed healthy forever, she would die. One day when I was like five, Yeah, I laid in bed and then like, like you're saying, just any fucking bad thing that will happen eventually or things that could happen. That's a whole other category.
Speaker 4: That's part of obsessive compulsive disorder. Though I always when I watched As Good as It Gets, I always identified with Jack Nicholson because yeah, he has to turn the lock three times or whatever, and I never had to do that.
Speaker 5: But well, when they portray obsessive compulsive disorder in movies, it's a good trope. It's visual, can't step on cracks, has to count certain things they do, has to have their salt shakers and pepper shakers in a certain order. All that stuff is great for film, But like you're saying, there's this whole other list of I don't know what would you call him, not side effects, but.
Speaker 4: Kind of like the the actual suffering part of like what goes on inside the mind when you have obsessive compulsive disorder. Because the reason why you might bring your salt and pepper shaker with you is because you think everybody's going to poison you. Like, that's the mental part of it that you don't see, is like, oh, they have to have their own salt and pepper. Actually they think they're gonna die if they use their restaurant salt and peppers, so they'll bring it with them, you know what I mean.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's also like you can bring germophobia into OCD. There's a few honorable mentions that I have that had just come to mind, So I think if we think of them, we can shout them out instead of doing it at the end, which we'll have plenty, But it makes me think of match Stick Men with Nick Cage having OCD. But the other one that I haven't thought about until just now, I me and you both love it. It's a comedy. What What About Bob?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 4: My god?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I almost think that if if we had thought of that, it probably would have made at least one of our lists.
Speaker 4: Well, for sure, I love that movie.
Speaker 5: But what About Bob? Is on the lighter side, much like As Good as It Gets? But I really I think What About Bob is a better movie. I struggle. I struggle with as Good as It Gets, And we'll get into that after Julia has done talking about about it. But yeah, what about Bob? He's got the same shit going on and they do really make light of it. And as good as it gets, it's not really a comedy. It's like a romantic comedy, but it's more like a romantic dramedy because there are funny parts. There's funny there's endearing characters. Greg Kinnear playing the gay guy that gets beat up that he actually takes his dog and kind of breaks breaks his routine, and all that, but yeah, you keep going with your thoughts on it.
Speaker 4: Well, my thoughts on it is that it's one of my favorite movies. I'm not gonna say it's top five or anything, but if I had to like ten to fifteen movies, it would be in there. And it's because and you know, I've often wondered if the tendency to just like blurt shit out that you're not supposed to say comes from having obsessive thoughts.
Speaker 5: It's a part of a control mechanism.
Speaker 4: Because you even brought it up the other day because I was talking to my doctor and I'll just like say random off the wall shit and You're like, most people wouldn't say that to their doctor, and it's like, I can't.
Speaker 5: Well, let's let's let the audience decide.
Speaker 4: I told her, I have thunder pulls.
Speaker 5: No, let's talk about the first one. She had to get tested. Everybody gets tested for butthole strap.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's pussing buttthole strap.
Speaker 5: And she handed Julia, I actually highly regret missing this appointment. Sometimes my work schedule is such that I can't go to all of them. And I, yeah, we very frequently. Was She handed Julia the butthole q tip And you know how Julia loves the word beetles. She said, how far do I have to shove this up my beople? And the doctor, who's very straight laced, lost it, right.
Speaker 4: She laughed her ass off. Just the tip, she said, just the tip. It was a long ass. It was probably like at least I would say it's at least a foot long subway sub of a swab. And she said, but just.
Speaker 5: The tip is the just the tip is the cotton part right right?
Speaker 4: But she said halfway into the vagina. And then I said, yes.
Speaker 5: Hell, was that a six inch er?
Speaker 4: It was a foot long subway sub.
Speaker 5: So you're getting up into the cervical region apparently.
Speaker 4: And so I was like, okay, if I got to go that far in the puss.
Speaker 5: Now I understand when you asked.
Speaker 4: Hupping this up my b hole? And she said, just.
Speaker 5: The tips, after laughing her ass off.
Speaker 4: Yeah. And then the second appointment, I said, I've been having a lot of thunder puss and she was like, oh, lightning crutch and I was like, yeah, whatever. But I mean I've often wondered if I blurt shit out like that because I'm a sagittarius or because I have obsessive.
Speaker 5: It's just because it's just because you're you.
Speaker 4: It's just a me thing.
Speaker 5: We could attribute it to the self diagnoses you've done. I don't know that you're OCD, Like finically, are you.
Speaker 4: They said that when I was little before, they did say it, yeah, because I like I had all my barbies, had to be a certain way and all my stuff, and like, yeah, I would. I would freak out and go to the nurse at school and they'd say, what's wrong with you? And I'd say, I think my mom's gonna die, and then they would let me call her because I would just have a freak out in the middle of the day thinking about like I'm at school right now, my mom's probably dead somewhere. I'm serious.
Speaker 5: It's not funny, but I do relate to a lot of it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean I was fucked up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's uh.
Speaker 4: This movie has so many gems.
Speaker 5: Come on, well, I would say that when it came out, it was very well received and it did shine a light on these mental illness things in the way that a lot of movies have done since. I mean, there's been movies that did it before this.
Speaker 4: Uh, how about people who speak in metaphors out of shampoo my crotch?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Jack Nicholson's character, what's his name in it? Melvin Melvin Udahl does have some very good one liners in this. He's a writer and he's like at a meeting with a publisher or something, and the woman at the front desk is a fan of his and asks, how do you write? He writes all of his books through a first person female perspective, it seems, and she asks how he writes women so well, and he says it's easy. I just take away reason and accountability. Right, good line.
Speaker 4: There are a million great one liners in this.
Speaker 5: You're gonna say that's a good line. Yeah, I didn't poke you a little bit. You think women lack reason and accountability? Sometimes that's a broad stroke, I'd say so, saw a lot of men do too.
Speaker 4: Besides, you make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 5: And all that grossest line in the movie.
Speaker 4: When they're in the car and he's like, I hope your dad hands you another big sweaty ball. I don't know. There are just so many.
Speaker 5: Well, he has some pretty good homophobic remarks towards the gay neighbor the Gaber. I would say that this movie was like for its time, It got away with a lot of stuff that you wouldn't see in like a blockbuster Academy Award winning hit. It does. It's not woke by any sense.
Speaker 4: Now took the imagination and it has the guy in it from Scream.
Speaker 5: Does have skeetle Rick in it. Yeah, there's what you think is a gay guy modeling for the for Greg Kinnear's character and they end up jumping him and kicking his ass.
Speaker 4: But anyways, I think it is a great love story and you don't, so I guess that's where we can debate on this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, the whole movie to me is about, you know, being completed by another person. Is the element that Jerry maguire explored. And this one is you make me want to be a better man. You know that one line. But if you watch the scene where they're having dinner and he's just being a fucking asshole to her for this whole conversation because he's so frustrated that he can't tell her how he feels, and he tells her, I stopped taking my medication and then he says it's because of her. You make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 4: He said, he started, okay, taking the medication.
Speaker 5: Started taking it.
Speaker 4: Yes, okay.
Speaker 5: That to me is even worse because.
Speaker 4: He said, I hate pills, right, And she said okay, and he's like, and I mean hate and he said that day something I talked to you, and I started taking the pills. And she's like okay, and he says, you make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 5: When I first saw this movie, I just kind of thought that was like cheesy, throwaway shit, and now I think it's even I don't know. To me, it's not a real love story, as most of these stories that are supposed to be love stories are not love stories.
Speaker 4: Not a love story.
Speaker 5: Because it's an inflated notion of other people being responsible for your overall being. And she's if we were to watch this movie and it was like ten hours long by the time we got to the end of the movie. He's fucked her over several times, and he's blamed his condition and she has to accept him for how he is, which you would if you were to get into a relationship with something like that. But I just, to me, it's not it's like Chuck Paulink nook for a circle back moment. He had a quote that I love is happy and needs to just depend on where you draw the curtain. And I think that that was a good moment to draw the curtain. The ass whole misogynist is throwing his life into this younger woman's lap. You make me want to be a better man.
Speaker 4: I just as good as it gets. I think it's a realistic love story. I think that knowing her love in his way. Okay, he did all that stuff for her son.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's trying to buy her favor. I don't think the character is endearing. I never do.
Speaker 4: I think he takes the gay guy in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he has a moments carry the dog being very resentful, but that's like.
Speaker 4: Some real life shit.
Speaker 5: You might be resimbleful, and most characters in real life aren't good people. They might have good moments that This is.
Speaker 4: Realistic, of course, and it could be a realistic love story.
Speaker 5: I don't hate the movie. I don't think it's like an example of what love is it should be.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, but you are in a relationship with someone who is very particular, and you, I know.
Speaker 5: Do I make you want to be a better woman?
Speaker 4: I think we make each other better.
Speaker 5: Sure, but I'm not putting that responsibility on you either.
Speaker 4: I'm saying, babe, that people are fucked up in the head and when they get with another person, it's not the notebook.
Speaker 5: See, it's just it's not It's the same issue I have with you. Complete me from Jerry Maguire, which I did mention earlier. But it's not what love is. It's a Hollywood love and this movie did very well on Hollywood.
Speaker 4: And you don't think that it showed how dysfunctional relationships.
Speaker 5: Can well, yeah, sure, but I don't think that's like the love story we should put on a pedestal. I think anction a dysfunctional relationship is realistic. In fact, you can't have a one hundred functional relationship if it's a real relationship. You know, people pull it off because they treat each other like roommates that they tolerate. But a real love story doesn't have to be about sacrifice or.
Speaker 4: So you're saying she's sacrificing because he's fucked up.
Speaker 5: That's her decision to make. But I don't think it's a shining beacon of what love is. And the and the the context just pre anybody who thinks I'm being an asshole, that's fine, but watch if you disagree, watch the last scene with them together at the dinner table where he says the line, and the whole context of the conversation. I just I didn't really like I said. It was like when I watched it years later that I kind of walked away thinking differently of it.
Speaker 4: Maybe you should watch it again.
Speaker 5: I guess I have seen it a handful of times, And.
Speaker 4: I was gonna say, because I'm sure I'll watch it at some point, or make you watch it again at some point, because I do love it very much.
Speaker 5: You hear that she makes me watch things.
Speaker 4: Well, I was just gonna say, I we.
Speaker 5: Take turns picking movies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I'm not as bad as Jack Nicholson, but I just, you know, I don't think she's necessarily sacrificing to have to be with him. I think he's actually like.
Speaker 5: Well, that wasn't even my bigger point. If you want to sacrifice and it's worth it to you, that can be part of a love story for sure.
Speaker 4: Like how I organize the bathroom cabinet.
Speaker 5: I'm getting this. Yes, you are so attached to this character that me not like in this movie, you're taking it personally. No, I'm saying.
Speaker 4: I'm saying it's you. When I got all those fucking buckets from the dollar store and went through our entire bathroom cabinets and organized everything and put it in baskets, and like, if you don't put something in the basket, or you put it in the wrong basket, and I go behind you and I take it out of that basket and put it in its proper basket. I'm just saying, people have hang ups, relationships are weird, and you're very gracious towards me and all my little.
Speaker 5: Particular Well, I'm an unorganized motherfucker. Look at the state of the house when you moved in.
Speaker 4: Just saying you've been very gracious towards me, as Helen Hunt was towards Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 5: Uh, okay, but I don't see you like throwing fits if things aren't the way.
Speaker 4: You want it, I suffer in silence.
Speaker 5: Okay, well, thank you.
Speaker 4: But anyways, yeah, this you accept me.
Speaker 5: As a person who doesn't shut cabinets when I'm done reaching in, and yeah you accept me, I accept you, and neither one of us is sacrificing a whole hell of a lot by accepting each other. You don't have to sometimes you do. I just don't think this is our love story.
Speaker 4: I wouldn't say it's our love story, but I would just say, as far as realistic, like one of them's fucked up in the other.
Speaker 5: One, everybody's fucked up. Yeah, that should be the name of the movie. Everybody's fucked up.
Speaker 4: Everybody's fucked up.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 5: This is as good as it gets in parentheses.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this one. I picked this one because it's a mild form of mental illness as far as mental illness goes. But uh cookes ten out of ten cooks for me.
Speaker 5: I'm gonna give it a five. Wow, always look on.
Speaker 4: The right side of your life.
Speaker 5: I don't think this picks up whistling.
Speaker 4: So we've got we've covered almost all of the different types of mental illness. What's next on them?
Speaker 5: Well, we're on pick three for you, which is psycho.
Speaker 4: Psycho.
Speaker 6: Here we have a quiet little motel, when in fact it has now become known as the scene of the crime.
Speaker 2: Do you have a vacancy? Oh, we have twelve vacancies. None is the first place. It looks like it's hiding from the world. I think that we're all in our private traps, clamped in them, and none of us can ever get up.
Speaker 4: She wouldn't even have a fly. And you know, this could be any rendition of it. It could be the original Psycho.
Speaker 5: Gus Van Sant with fucking Vince Bond.
Speaker 4: Vince Vaughan, it could be Baits Motel. I'm down for any of them, right. I tried, really tried to get into Baits Motel.
Speaker 5: I stopped watching it at the end of season two just because it was current, and I have never gone back to it when they kept going, But I would. I like that kid who was in some movies when he was younger, like he was in that Neverland Finding Neverland.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but talking about mental illness, he's in that Good Doctor show where he has severe autism.
Speaker 5: Yeah. I've never watched that.
Speaker 4: I've watched like five seasons of it.
Speaker 5: But yeah, the Bates Motel I thought was very well done. Yeah, of course I love the Hitchcocks I go. I thought it was interesting enough to watch all the way through the Gus Van Sant rendition with Vince Vaughan playing Norman Bates.
Speaker 4: But I enjoyed it.
Speaker 5: I don't know what the point was.
Speaker 4: I don't either, other than they just did it.
Speaker 5: It just was like almost shot for shot, word for word. The only difference is it's in color. And Vince Vaughan, well, they had to update the actors.
Speaker 4: But I'm just saying it was interesting.
Speaker 5: Yeah. For him, he was doing mainly bad guy roles and then he slid into comedy. But somewhere in between there he was picked to play Norman Bates, which was a fucking reaching for a goddamn sleeper. As far as all the actors that would have wanted to do that role, they got Vince Vaughan. He was nobody really back then.
Speaker 4: Interesting, But don't you feel like they incorporated aspect of Norman Bates into American horror story Asylum with Doctor Threadson with his weird mommy thing that he had going. So would you say that Norman Bates because we'll spare everyone. If you don't, if you haven't watched a rendition of Psycho yet, then fuck you. I mean, whoa, this is cosmic peach pot.
Speaker 5: Some people don't get around to every movie.
Speaker 4: Psycho in some form. Everybody knows the story.
Speaker 5: And if not, fuck you, And if not, you that's not me saying that you're welcome to watch it or not watch it, but you should at it's worth watching, know the premise. Of course it's been. There's been so many tips of the hat throughout pop culture. I think there's even a family guy. Yes, it's just everywhere, shower scene, iconic.
Speaker 4: BIG's adermy stuff big.
Speaker 5: In nice Shyamalan style twist, which actually I should just say Alfred Hitchcock style twist because he is the master of the twist. And yeah, all of it. It's the fight club kind of thing going.
Speaker 4: On in Split Personality. It's do you think he was incestuous with his mom or what I mean?
Speaker 5: I don't think that was really thought about much, unless you know back then dressed up as well. It's supposed to be ed Gain No, Yes, the three major pillars of ed Gain is it gainer Gane? I always say, well, he was the inspiration for Psycho Texas, Chainsawn Mashtacre and Silence the Lambs. Yeah, so there's elements of the mother. He doesn't go as far as wearing skin suits, but he does dress up as it puts on what it had.
Speaker 4: It been inspiration for Friday the thirteenth. I'm not sure with the mom remember kill him?
Speaker 5: Yeah, I mean I think that it's like, what year was ed Gian fuck? Bro Cook?
Speaker 4: Well, they got they talking about that, they got a show coming out I'm gonna fucking stoked thiss fuck to watch on.
Speaker 5: Netflix fifty seven, So we're talking a two year difference. I think Hitchcock probably got read on that script.
Speaker 4: Wow, why does it say ed Gean also known as the Butcher of playing Field or the plain Field ghoul. Nobody says that if you said ed.
Speaker 5: Gian, maybe back when he was active or whatever was going on, he had a moniker.
Speaker 4: Well nobody uses those monikers, like if you even the show that they're.
Speaker 5: I've heard the Butcher of playing Field, but I didn't know it was him. So you're making a point like yeah, and he's you know, you and I are both huge fans of the serial killer stuff that McGowan uncovered and programmed to kill. I've never myself done a huge deep dive into ed Gain, but anyway, a tangent decided he was the basis for Psycho or for Norman Bates and a couple others notable.
Speaker 4: At the end of the first Psycho Alfred Hitchcock. They have him in the police station and he's dressed like his fucking mom, and shit, I let.
Speaker 5: Him even I think she doesn't even want to harm that fly.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but the funniest part to me is when the cops are talking to the psychiatrist and the psychiatrist is like, I know what's wrong with him, and the cops like he's a transvestite, and he's like, uh no.
Speaker 5: No, but yes, yes, but no, it's much more than that.
Speaker 4: But anyways, I always laughed at that part because he's like he's a transvestite. We were actually thinking about doing a bonus episode on serial killers who spent a lot of time in mental institutions because a lot like prisons and military I do think that they look for a certain type of psychopath that would be beneficial in these programs in mental institutions as well.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and this would be a Patreon thing. And if it happens, it's only because Julia has not gone into labor right next couple weeks, but that could be something to look forward to. I do want to just say before we move on from Psycho, that I am finding it pretty fucking intense that this event would have shocked the nation. Yeah, nineteen fifty seven, And and then this huge horror thriller filmmaker does a movie that rocked the world only two years later. Yeah, I mean, of course, Hitchcock is so established in the industry that you got it. No, I mean he's got someone's got their thumb over him, and that he Yeah, I didn't even realize how closely these two things the you never realized again, and then the release of this fucking movie. Okay, so it was base. Okay, I might be wrong saying here that the fifty nine novel so that the novel was written two years later. Yeah, it came out fifty nine, same year as the novel, So I don't know. I find that interesting me. Yeah, No, I do give this one, of course, context of the time it came out. Even the material today, done in the hand or handed to a masterful director would be still just as good. I give it a ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, same ten. What's next on the list?
Speaker 5: Now? We were moving on to my third pick, which is something we just watched last night, and we mentioned earlier, the two thousand film Memento.
Speaker 3: I guess I've already told you about my condition every time I see you.
Speaker 5: You don't remember where you've been or what you've just done.
Speaker 2: I can't make memories. Everything just fades.
Speaker 4: What's the last thing you do?
Speaker 5: Remember? My wife?
Speaker 2: That's sweet dying.
Speaker 5: You really want to get this guy, don't you. My wife deserves a vengeance.
Speaker 2: When you find this guy, what are you gonna do? You can't.
Speaker 4: Somebody's got to pay, Lenny. Somebody always pays. You have to be very careful.
Speaker 5: You wander around playing detective.
Speaker 4: Maybe you should start investigating yourself.
Speaker 8: This guy is so dangerous and he's gonna kill me.
Speaker 2: I want my life back.
Speaker 3: I think someone's trying to get me to kill the wrong guy.
Speaker 4: You can question everything.
Speaker 6: You can never know.
Speaker 5: Anything for sure. There are things you know for sure. You can't trust her.
Speaker 4: Even if you.
Speaker 5: Get revenge, you're not gonna remember it. You're not even gonna know that it happened. Who did this to you?
Speaker 2: You did?
Speaker 5: You don't know who you are? A lot of people consider to be Christopher Nolan's film debut, even though he and his brother did a kind of a almost like student film level film called The Following before they came to the US and started making stuff. But this is what brought Christopher Nolan, you know, master director behind Inception, Interstellar, just did that movie about the nuclear race, the Manhattan Project. What was that called Oppenheimer. Oh, the guy's name, the physicist.
Speaker 4: Well, you know when you told me, you were like, I want you to watch this movie. It is called Momento, and it's by what Momento whatever you said, it's you know, it's Christopher Nolan, fucking inception and da da da. I knew it was going to be a mind fuck.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And for those of you who haven't seen the movie, it's the main character suffers from severe short term memory loss. And we're not talking fifty first dates where he gets a whole day. He just gets several minutes at a time.
Speaker 4: I would say twenty minutes.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's probably something around that because some of the scenes he has to like cover some time before he resets. So he just resets and the last memory he has stored as his wife Dane. He's tracking down the killer, leaving himself a series of notes in pleuting tattoos on his own body. But then it just turns into almost a murder mystery. It's so fucked spoiler alert. You find out this guy actually his wife wasn't murdered like he thought. She survived this attack where he was given this head injury trying to defend her, and that's when his condition started. He doesn't know that she lived, and she made him kill her with insulin because she thought he would snap out of it. He's told himself this whole story that it was this other guy that he knew from his past life as an insurance claims investigator. Anyway, the movie is just brilliantly told backwards. So the first scene of the movie is what would be the last scene in a chronological movie. And you are on along for the ride. You feel like this cur You don't know where you are, what's going on until the next scene where it starts to builds.
Speaker 4: Even at the end, you're sitting there like, fuck off, what the fuck?
Speaker 5: It does turn out that he originally got the guy that attacked his wife, but he just keeps doing it over and over and killing people, thinking he's tracking down He's given him tracking down the killer of his wife. He's given himself a purpose, and he even kills people that are supposed friends of his on purpose. He sets himself up and then forgets that he did it and he's basically a serial killer with no memory of being one.
Speaker 4: And granted, I've only seen it one time, and you've seen it multiple times, so you have a more rounded fucking opinion on the whole shit. But he's not a good guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah. And one of the things that the Joe Pantaliano, you know, Cipher from the Matrix, he keeps telling him, you don't know who you are anymore. You know who you were up until the point of your accident, you don't know what you've become.
Speaker 4: He's also in all the Bad Boys movies.
Speaker 5: He's their chief, right, Yeah, all right.
Speaker 4: He makes his vodka and pepto. He's like my favorite character. But anyways, this movie.
Speaker 5: Makes you feel mentally ill when you want to.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it does make you feel fucked up when you watch it. And like I said, I don't think he's a good guy. He's murdering indocent people.
Speaker 5: None of them are innocent to you.
Speaker 4: I mean, for me, I go buy the Code of Dexter, all right, And none of those people he killed deserve to die.
Speaker 5: We don't know that. I'm not like the investigator picking up for the guy. I love the movie. I love the twist, the whole thing is just loaded with Like I was telling.
Speaker 4: You, it's so hard to be married to you, because sometimes I'll have a movie in mind that I want you to watch, and I'll be so psyched up because it'll be like one of my favorite movies, and you're just like, eh, it takes an actual fucking like. I feel like I need to be committed somewhere after I watch the movies that you like to watch. I can't just show you what. I can't just show you like Evil Dead remakes in horrible movie. Well, I'm just saying that was a bad example.
Speaker 5: But like.
Speaker 4: I'll be like, oh, I really like this one. You'll probably love it, and then you watch it and you're just like, eh, it was all right. And then you make me watch this ship and I feel like I need to go fucking get on Zaprexa or whatever that ship the anti anti depressant booster.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm selective.
Speaker 4: You like things that make you feel like you're on a fucking Alice in Wonderland trip.
Speaker 5: I like fucking animal houses, and much as the next guy, I can watch a fun movie with no message and still enjoy it. And that you know, you say it's hard to be married to me because it's hard to impress me with movies you like. But I don't think anymore or any less of you if you show me a movie, I don't call it ten Yeah, but I.
Speaker 4: Feel like it's such an achievement when I pick something that you actually like, like Midnight Mass or like The Blind Manner or Archive eighty one, something like that, because I'll be thinking, ooh, this one's kind of psychological or cerebral. I bet he'll like this one. But you can't just watch fucking what's one recently that you just thought was absolute dog shit? Besides Evil Dead you hated it.
Speaker 5: I don't know we're getting in the weeds here, though. I mean we could wrap up Memento. We're making pretty good products.
Speaker 4: Saying watching this movie, like all of the movies you like, made me feel like I was going down the fucking rabbit hole. And if that's what it feels like to have short term memory loss again, bang fuck you. I'm taking myself out.
Speaker 5: Well. One of the things I like about this movie is it's a psychological ride. You understand that if a person, even with something this debilitating, can keep themselves driven with purpose and can condition themselves despite not having the ability to form new memories. It just was I mean, Christopher Nolan's brother wrote a short story and that's what this movie is based on. Agread that right now. But it's it's just so well thought out and layered, and like we were talking yesterday, did they write this shit in order? And then like this cause like pulp fiction jumping all over the place, but this one actually is chronological. It's just back front.
Speaker 4: And you know, it made me feel gross when I watched it, Like the first time I watched Butterfly Effect. Do you remember how you felt the first time you watched Butterfly Effects?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it was pretty heavy. Yeah, I don't know, I don't see my mento's heavy. It's just a fucking ride.
Speaker 4: It just you can't understand.
Speaker 5: It takes more than one viewing, yeah, for sure. And like there's probably half the movies I picked that you you've seen once that you probably need to see a handful of times before you can really appreciative.
Speaker 4: Birth First, before we start rewatching some shit you picked, like Requiem for a Dream, which shout out is an honorable mention.
Speaker 5: For a dream. The mom kind of spinning out. I mean, you could look at addiction as a mental illness, which is a model some people clean to the mom for me, like the mom does lose her mind.
Speaker 4: Yeah, because she's taken and she's mixing stuff like her antidepressant booster and her all for stuff. But so, Momento, are we rating now? I'm gonna give it for me first time viewer. I give it ten out of ten kukes for how it made me feel, but five out of ten kukes for how it made me feel.
Speaker 5: So let's go seven point five, dude.
Speaker 4: Seven point five kooks.
Speaker 5: Ten for me. Ten is a fucking overall movie and ten as far as like the psychological ride, you go on.
Speaker 4: The psychological part, Fuck.
Speaker 5: That all right? And so for for my fourth pick, we're going with the twenty sixteen film Split by m Night Shamala Malangadong.
Speaker 4: Hey, pardon me, sir, I think you have the wrong car.
Speaker 5: You've emailed for an appointment two days in a row.
Speaker 4: Tell me what's going on.
Speaker 8: I've never seen a case like this before. Twenty three identities live in Kevin's body.
Speaker 4: Did something happen? There's a flower on the pillows, a flower in the bathroom, Like we're important?
Speaker 5: Who is that maybe she can help us here.
Speaker 9: Don't worry. He knows what you're here for. He's not allowed to touch you. He knows that m M, my name's Hedwig. I have read thoughts.
Speaker 5: How old are you?
Speaker 4: Nice?
Speaker 8: The human brain is the most complex object in the universe. I mean, with multiple personalities, can change their body chemistry with their thoughts.
Speaker 5: Someone's coming for you. What will happen when he unlocks the potential of his brain?
Speaker 8: There is no limit to what he can become.
Speaker 3: And Night is a sacred knight. You will be in the presence of something greater. The world will understand now there'll be is real.
Speaker 5: I'm starting to notice the motif. We have a few on here that are about you know, shattered people and as far as alternates, but this one is different. I think it's.
Speaker 4: Got like I said in the beginning of the episode, it's got the supernatural slash paranormal aspect to it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And you could also say that this is a second part of the trilogy he did that includes Unbreakable Split in the Middle, and it's all wrapped up with Glass. But and one thing I find interesting about Glass is they are institutionalized and who is the head shrink to circle back to Asylum American RS story, it is landa banana. Oh fuck, Sarah Paulson is the is that her name got about that? She's you know, she'd kind of come to fame at this point through American her story. But yeah, so she's the kind of the shoes on the.
Speaker 4: Other poste too in the Ratchet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's a good thing to mention. But anyway, I just love the whole breaking down of like all these alternates, and the acting job of James McAvoy is exceptional, playing the little kid, playing the old proper British bitch that's supposedly the bad one until you meet the Beast. Maybe a Crawley reference, I'm not sure, but oh, I did want to say that one of the characters and the girl interrupted was last name was Crawley. Yeah, I mean in the late sixties, she could have been like the great granddaughter granddaughter.
Speaker 4: Even the fact the fact that they chose that time period two for me, it's.
Speaker 5: A memoir bit that apparently was when that oh really.
Speaker 4: Well kinds of stuff around that time too. They didn't have to pick Jared Leto to be in it, that his fucking ass was in it too.
Speaker 5: So well also fucking my owner writers the one who's obsessed with Catcher in the Rye and wears the shirts and yeah, says that she identifies with Holden caffielled But yeah, back to split Tangent averted almost so this is.
Speaker 4: Kind of like psycho like with this split personality.
Speaker 5: It's like Psycho fight Club.
Speaker 4: But with this one. Let's just hope my sister doesn't listen to this episode.
Speaker 5: She don't listen.
Speaker 4: So I used to make the girls at work laugh because we worked at the same place. And if she does it well, and I would say, you know, my sister's got two personalities. You know, she's got her work personality and then she's the person that I know and sometimes you just have to look at her and wonder, is that you, Patricia.
Speaker 5: Yeah, a lot of people do this on a lower level in their daily lives. They have their friend personality, who they are with their friends, their significant other personality, their work personality, maybe the personality they are around their kids. Yeah, but it's like what Tyler Durton says to Tyler Durton, Brad Pitt says to Edward Norton. People do this every day. You just had the curse to kind of run with it. Yeah, that you would say that about this main character in the movie Split. He definitely ran with it. And you gotta wonder, like he never really gets into how he got this way, Like what did he go through? Was he a fucking abused person? Obviously? But at what level?
Speaker 13: Was it?
Speaker 5: Like MK ultra type shit?
Speaker 4: Hey, I feel like m Night Shyamalan was inspired by Sybil.
Speaker 5: Okay, and that was supposedly a true story. There's been there's been some debate to the mainstream science. People tried to call her a fraud. Really, yeah, supposedly.
Speaker 4: I don't think that's fair.
Speaker 5: Supposedly that shit's debunked. What Sybil officially, I don't buy it.
Speaker 4: You don't buy that she had split personality.
Speaker 5: I don't buy the debunking. On NPR in twenty eleven, Real Sibyl admits multiple personalities were fake, So that's out there. They probably had to make her say that anyway.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say sixteen separate personalities she said she had.
Speaker 5: And one of them needed glasses and one of them spoke French, and yeah, fake that. I can see the influence you're talking about for yeah, able to Split for sure.
Speaker 4: Sybil was going to make my Honorable Mentions list because obvious reasons, the same reason why Split made the list. But I actually loved this movie a lot when it came out. And people talk so much shit about M. Knight Shyamalan, but he's made some of my favorite movies of all time.
Speaker 5: I would say sixty percent of what M. Knight's done is genius and the other forty percent is at least worth watching. Yeahah, he doesn't make bad movies. He makes some pretty genre driven, cheesy things that are still good for what they are, and then he'll make something just fucking phenomenal.
Speaker 4: Yeah, cosmic peach trivia. What's my favorite M Night Shamalan movie?
Speaker 5: Signs Lady in the Water? Oh I knew that? Yeah, I know you knew it about you? The Childhood book based on the movie. It was written by Any himself.
Speaker 4: It's so rare find actually, I had never.
Speaker 5: Seen any of this kind of shit. Really, are you going to read it to the baby?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 4: But so yeah, Split?
Speaker 5: Are we rating your turn to go first?
Speaker 4: I'm going to give it ten out of ten kooks, because damn, I gave it eight eight out of ten.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I think it's a solid, solid movie, even though the acting is fucking eleven out of ten.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's why I gave it.
Speaker 5: Anya included. She did a great job. The big eyed, hot woman who's in everything.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 5: This is the first thing I saw her.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I've seen her in anything before that, but just from the acting on its own, I give it a ten out of tin Kooks and Patricia. You can't get past Patricia.
Speaker 5: I would think that this is James McAvoy's best role, his Opus. Yeah, and you know, even in the third and final installment of the trilogy, Glass, just the master class of acting. I would say, watch Split the other one the Glass. The conclusion of the story is more driven by the supernatural battle. Yeah, the superhero super villain.
Speaker 4: And I think a lot of these movies work though, because you can so easily mix the paranormal with mental illness. And I think that's true in real life. I think that there is like the guy who wrote all about prophetic shit at the mental institution from the last episode, I think there is a parent normal aspect to this.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I would say one of my honorable mentions because we're mainly doing movies. We did open with the analysis of the second season of American Horse Story, but we've brought it up a few times in this series and in others. The series Legion really good, kind of obscure look into mental illness because it's a very powerful mutant. And first they think he's mentally ill, then they think he's a mutant, and then they realize he is a mentally ill mutant and he's possessed also all that shit going on, and he makes for quite a good super villain by the time the show's wrapped up.
Speaker 4: But about another mind fucker.
Speaker 5: And it's the first season alone with the institution they're in, and it's the X Men universe with the titular character. Is it does say that titular the being the illegitimate son of Professor Charles Xavier, who is a telekinetic.
Speaker 4: And it is on Hulu if you have it, Yeah, worth watching, definitely.
Speaker 5: All right, Well shall we move on, yeah to your fourth pick? Well, of course this had to be one flew over the Cuckoo's nest. What can you tell me about why you've been said over here?
Speaker 9: They think you've been faking it in order to get out of your work detail.
Speaker 4: Oh I don't like that kind of guy. You medication time.
Speaker 5: M yum me.
Speaker 4: Do you want to say something of a group, mister mc murphy.
Speaker 13: Other thing that I'm a goddamn marvel and modern science.
Speaker 4: I want to watch the ball game baseball. I only count nine votes, mister McMurphy. Want that television set turned not the cheap.
Speaker 5: That nurse man sit down, he's dangerous.
Speaker 4: How about it?
Speaker 2: You creep you lot.
Speaker 4: You think you're crazy or something. Well you're not, You're not.
Speaker 5: What do you say?
Speaker 4: I mean, what do we say? Because I know it was my pick, but you got all the juicy details.
Speaker 5: I mean, and it's you look at Laurel Canyon and the more notably the stuff going on in the San Francisco area with the Grateful Dead and the CIAA acid tests and Ken Kesey and the Mary Pranksters. You get this debut novel from Ken Kesey, who was an MK ultra participant. He wasn't you know, not wanting to do it. He was a college student and he took some LSD and he got wrapped up in the CIA aspect of it. But he also wrote One Flew Over the cuckoo's nest, and the story goes that he was sweeping up you know, he had the janitor and the night shift at a psych ward and he would go in, flying high on government sid and he would make eye contact for extensive periods of time with the inmates there, and he would say, like, I'm on the this side of the door is the institution. These guys are free, kind of like Lisa from Girl Interrupted her gratitude. But you know, then you look at like the whole aspect of kin Kezy and like, was this just a great first novel because then you get the Laurel Canyon element of Jack Nicholson starring his R. P. McMurtry, who was kN Kesey's alter ego when he was doing all this acid inside the mental institution. But as a film, and I do got to say, as a book, it's completely different because it's told through the perspective of the Indian that's pretending to be mute. Oh, so you get this Native American perspective on being locked away, and you know he's the one who flew over the Koucka's nest at the end.
Speaker 4: Well, you know, it's just got it all definitely.
Speaker 5: The institutionalization and the electroshock therapy Ratchet, they lobotomize his ass in the end, he thinks, and juicy Fruit smothers him and runs free.
Speaker 4: Right. He thinks that, oh, well, I'll just pretend like I'm mentally ill so I can. Yeah, he's dodging it, serve out the rest of my time in a He's.
Speaker 5: Dodging a felony of statutory rape if I remember correctly, and believes that he can run this fucking shit the minute he steps in the door. And then of course he's met with the bullheaded nurse Ratchet, and then the movie it kind of just becomes a showdown between them.
Speaker 4: It's one of the first movies I watched. Okay, so let me just say my dad watched a lot of movies that I can't even stand to look at as an adult because he would watch them on repeat. One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest is one of those movies he would watch on repeat. But it was like the first one where I didn't mind that he watched it so often because I thought it was so good.
Speaker 5: And then you would end up visiting him in similar facilities.
Speaker 4: Yeah, then it became kind of.
Speaker 5: I liked that. They in Wikipedia they call it a psychological comedy drama.
Speaker 4: The funny parts to me did not make this a comedy.
Speaker 5: I think it is comedic, and I loved the cast, being so many people who would become prominent. You got like Danny DeVito playing Martini.
Speaker 4: Fregon State Hospital. I didn't know it was Oregon.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, this is another big thing is Michael Douglas was a producer on the movie, and he had to turn his dad down because he wanted Jack Nicholson.
Speaker 4: Well, this is the second film in our list with Jack Nicholson. Correct, two different forms of mental little.
Speaker 5: And you'd have to put the shining in there at some point as an honorable mention.
Speaker 4: Yes and no, right, it's he's yes.
Speaker 5: Honorable mention. Certainly.
Speaker 4: Yes for me, he's paranormally split. Oh, Danny's fucked up though, Yeah, so I guess that is a.
Speaker 5: The whole fucking thing, all of them.
Speaker 4: Danny's got split personality and.
Speaker 5: He's fucking hallucinating through the whole thing. And there's debates over why. Right early, he's got a good theory on it.
Speaker 4: And Whendy's a retard. So you got all three up.
Speaker 5: Well she sure was by the time fucking Kubrick got done with her.
Speaker 4: So anyways, this is one of those movies that I watched over and over again because my dad would just like have it on this and like, uh Legends of the Fall or fucking Full Metal Jacket. But uh, yeah, I felt I felt weird after I watched it, Like.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's it's a very strange feeling you get watching this big native guy's mother the protagonist of the movie, and then running free.
Speaker 4: But also like knowing that he didn't need to be lobottomized, like he did that just to be a bitch.
Speaker 5: Well, she, in his mind, drove this innocent person to suicide and he tried choking her out so she'd had enough. And yes, she gave him the old Rosemary Kennedy.
Speaker 4: Well he got the Walter Lobato.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he had one of the more successful ones. Put him in that vegetated state. Very heavy movie. Very I also think it's comedic. I mean, and I was mentioning an earlier Look, you got Christopher Lloyd and Danny DeVito and the guy from Ghost I don't know which one of these names. Guys remember him. I love the scene where they go out and borrow the boat. This guy, Billy Bibbitt.
Speaker 4: I don't know how much I had seen.
Speaker 5: Him, and he's been in He's one of those side actors that is in a lot. He was Dorif as Billy Bibbott.
Speaker 4: Billy Bibbitt was my most sad character.
Speaker 5: He's in the original Dune Alien Resurrection.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, he is in that.
Speaker 5: Blue Velvet David Lynch movie.
Speaker 4: Should we rate it ten? Ten out of ten cooks for me?
Speaker 5: I think I'm speaking for everyone.
Speaker 4: Right out of ten Kok's nests.
Speaker 5: So your fifth and final Shutter Island.
Speaker 4: Give you a briefing about the institution. Oh, I know it's at hospital, but the criminally insane. We take only the most dangerous sandwich patients once no other hospital can manage. You are hereby required to surrender your firearms.
Speaker 5: We are dually appointed federal marshals, but during your stay you will obey protocol.
Speaker 4: Gentlemen, Welcome to Shutter Islands.
Speaker 2: Rush McDaniels, Octat.
Speaker 9: So this female prisoner, Rachel Solando, escaped sometime in the last twenty four hours.
Speaker 2: She considered dangerous. You could say that.
Speaker 4: It's eleven miles to the neighest land and the waterst reason.
Speaker 5: We don't know how she got out of her room, came back.
Speaker 2: For a midnight round. She was gone.
Speaker 5: This as if she evaporated straight through the wolves.
Speaker 2: It was sixty seven.
Speaker 5: There are a total of what sixty six patients.
Speaker 4: At this facility, That is correct.
Speaker 5: Yes, it seems to me Rachel Solando is suggesting that you have a sixty seventh patient. Doctor.
Speaker 2: A lot of people know about this place, but no one will talk.
Speaker 5: You know, It's like this skin is something you haven't taken any pills.
Speaker 8: Have you seen any wing.
Speaker 5: Nightmare, slaling or shock?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 8: I you know.
Speaker 4: You said you figured it out just by watching the trailer.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and I blame the trailer people for that. They fucking made it obvious enough in the.
Speaker 4: Trailer, so I had no backstory. When I watched this at the theater with my mom, I think she just it was one of those times she said, there's a scary movie. I want to go see it. You know, I just let the movie play out. I didn't see it coming while I watched the movie. I hadn't seen a trailer. But if you watch it one time, any other time, you watch it, it's obvious from the beginning. It's notice.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and just you know, when this movie came out, the whole and Fight Club kind of resurfaced this oh it's this is going on kind of trope, and like these big twists were huge, and so I kind of looked at every trailer back then, going oh, is this gonna be one of those big twists, And it just looked like from the trailer that that was the big twist. And for those of you who haven't seen it, spoiler alert.
Speaker 2: But.
Speaker 5: It makes it look like what he's investigating, but ends up that he's an inmate there and they're just letting him do this to try to heal.
Speaker 4: Him, to try to bring back his because he has like the memory last thing like Momento.
Speaker 5: It's almost like the number twenty three.
Speaker 4: Yeah, woo honorable mention number twenty three. Also well, I mean, if you haven't seen Shutter Island, it's available on Hulu right now, and like I said, if you've seen it once, you'll be able to see throughout the entire movie that this was a setup and that he's actually a crazy guy. I'm gonna give it five out of ten kokes, give it seven. Will you're being general?
Speaker 5: I like Scorsese, I love DiCaprio. I love when they pair up. This might be my least favorite of theirs. I'm also gonna throw in another honorable mention that I would have picked if Julie had seen this movie, But another Squarsese DiCaprio film would be Aviator. The Aviator with uh DiCaprio portraying Howard Hughes.
Speaker 4: I've never seen it. Unfortunately.
Speaker 5: I thought that should have been the movie that DiCaprio got an Oscar for.
Speaker 4: What do you get an oscar for?
Speaker 5: The movie where he's alling through the snow cold the whole fucking time after almost getting eaten.
Speaker 4: By a bar based on the book.
Speaker 5: Well, it's based on a real account. But yes, The Revenant.
Speaker 4: Ah, I've never seen that either.
Speaker 5: It's fucking worth watching. The movie is amazing, the cinematography, the directing, the uh one of my favorite actors, Tom Hardy, really fucking good in it. But it's just not the performance that I thought was Oscar worthy, even though.
Speaker 4: You're forgetting one that we watched just for this episode, Revolutionary Road.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I wanted you to watch it. Revolutionary Road For those who haven't seen it. It's when the fucking dream Team, as far as most teenage girls at the time are concerned of Leonardo and Kate Winslet from Titanic pair back up for Revolutionary Road. But the main or the best character in the whole movie is just a guy who's been in a mental institution and he kind of sees the world in a logical way that meets the fantastical notions of the of the pair in this movie. But it's a fucking taxing watch.
Speaker 4: I would say I enjoyed it, and we had some great conversations about it after we watched it.
Speaker 5: Well, you know another movie that kept coming up when I was like looking over lists of movies about mental illness for some reason, What's Eating Gilbert Great Grape kept coming up?
Speaker 4: He's recharging. I guess, Wow, Benny and June came up.
Speaker 5: To Benny and June was gonna be one of my honorable mentions at the end of this. But since it's coming up now, Yeah, you got Johnny Depp and Mary Stuart Masterson. Great movie. I think it's probably one of my favorite romantic comedies.
Speaker 4: Well, I said they're both kooks, and you said only June is a kook.
Speaker 5: Johnny Depp is not mentally ill.
Speaker 4: We will let the listeners decide, because I think he's a little kooky.
Speaker 5: He's eccentric, he's quirky, but he's not in the condition she's in.
Speaker 4: He's a little kooky though he's out there. Yeah, two Cook's in love. That's Benny Cook and Cook.
Speaker 5: I just wouldn't call him legitimately mentally ill.
Speaker 4: Cookie and Cook.
Speaker 5: Even though he's sitting in a bathtub in the scene where the older brother tells he's like wow, mentally ill and he's sitting in the bathtub.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, that's.
Speaker 5: Some of the best acting Johnny Depp's done, as far as like taking on these Charlie Chaplin Buster Keaton type things and doing the little dance with the dinner rolls scene in the park. Well, we're getting tolerable mentions. But I still have my last pick. And I was picking between two movies, and I let Cheerlea be the tiebreaker. I was going with either Bennie and June or the cable Guy. Raw ended up going with the cable guy. We got a little dark comedy.
Speaker 4: Table guy.
Speaker 6: Let's do this slip the cable guy, fifty bucks, You'll give you all the movie channels for free.
Speaker 2: You're offering me a bride.
Speaker 12: What you have just done is illegal and in this state of convicted, you could be fined up to five thousand dollars or spend six months in a correctional.
Speaker 4: For so all day.
Speaker 5: Oh please, no, that was done.
Speaker 12: I'm just I'm just making conversations, Darland of the Last. I just don't have any woman in my life brand news for head.
Speaker 5: So what are you trying to say?
Speaker 9: I'm here for you.
Speaker 4: Don't do that.
Speaker 5: You're gonna get me too.
Speaker 6: Oh really, Jim Carey, Matthew Brothery, table guy, Okay, God, thank god?
Speaker 5: And what would you call him obsessive?
Speaker 4: Uh? I would say he's got schizophrenia and separation anxiety.
Speaker 5: And for those of you who don't know, this was a Ben Stiller film directing and he does the cameo as the homage to the Menindez Brothers going on throughout the movie. Brilliant movie. Highly underrated as far as the stuff Jim Carrey was putting it out before and after this.
Speaker 4: I definitely talked about it in my Jim Carrey series because it was I think it's Misunderstood, Misunderstood Jim Carrey film.
Speaker 5: I think it's one of the better ones he did in the nineties. Yeah, but as far as acting goes, I think it's telling a wider story, you know, Chip Douglas, which ended up just being a pseudonym that he picked. This guy's obsessed with TV too. I love the element of him growing up on TV and then becoming a cable guy who stocks people.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Jack Black has a memorable role, even though it's smaller. Already mentioned Ben Steeller's cameo. Of course, Matthew Broderick being the victim and this was produced by jud Appatau and his wife in Her Life, Leslie Mann is in it. Good movie, good laughs. Kind of makes you think, too well, what I said.
Speaker 4: What I think he has? What do you think he has? You agree?
Speaker 5: I wouldn't call him like a full blown schizo from my armstair chair position in the in the movie theater, but I would say he's psychotic, he's stocking, he's dangerous, he's obsessive, he.
Speaker 4: Has think he has separation anxiety.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he was raised by the television.
Speaker 4: This was This is a good one too, because I've actually met some people who get like weird like that when they try to be your friend. Yeah, and it's like you feel sorry for him because you can't be their friend anymore once they've crossed over into the fucking abyss you know what I'm saying. Yeah, and I'm not talking about like dudes trying to like no, no, we were talking about my tree, like.
Speaker 5: In this scenario with the cable guy, like hetero friendship seekers and then they kind of cling on and you kind of have to start ignoring them and all that shit.
Speaker 4: But yeah, and you feel bad because it's like, you know, they start trying to almost imitate you and shit like that.
Speaker 5: Or we're talking like single white female. Yeah have you seen that? Yeah, that's a good one. And you know this one was kind of like that, but a dark comedy instead of a full on thriller.
Speaker 4: They say that what did they say about something or other is the most sincere form of flattery imitation imitation, but fuck that because it's creey at times. Really, it's not like, oh, Julia likes to wear band t shirts and now I feel like maybe I want to get a couple. It'll be like they they change their personality to like become you and stuff.
Speaker 5: Oh, you just made me think of a great honorable mention. What talented mister Ripley. It was one of Matt Damon's early roles and I've seen that playing opposite of Jude Law and it's got Philip Seymour Hoffman in it. But he basically becomes obsessed. The Matt Damon character becomes obsessed with Jude Law and he kills him and then becomes him. Yes, he takes his identity.
Speaker 4: That's why you can't be friends with those kind of people. Once you see the red flags, you've got to just ghost them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And it was in that particular movie, which often happens, is he was obsessed and wanting to be his best friend and then the denial happens and then he snaps and kills him. Yeah, you know, the Cable Guy kind of went down similar avenues and ends up being resolved and funny. And at the end of the movie he's even moved on to another victim of the ambulance driver. He's like, hey, what's your name? He gets that lock in his eyes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so this one I'm given to him out of Jenkinkes.
Speaker 5: For what it is and all that I give it a.
Speaker 4: Solid nine nine out of ten.
Speaker 5: Koukes honorable mentions that also were in contention for this final slot of mind another Jim Carrey movie Me, Myself and Irene would have been too similar as far as some of the other picks go. Psycho Split, Fight Club.
Speaker 4: I uh just had one pop into my head. Fatal Attraction. What do you think she's got besides Scott A Rhea.
Speaker 5: She just has no ability for reason or accountability?
Speaker 4: How did she rise in the ranks of her company being that psychotic?
Speaker 5: I could tell you I've seen that movie maybe once all the way through.
Speaker 4: Are you serious?
Speaker 5: We're talking Glenn.
Speaker 4: Close right, yeah, horse face.
Speaker 5: It's that fucking type cast character that Michael Douglas got stuck in for a while. My fucking basic instinct.
Speaker 4: Well, me and my mom watched Fatal Attractions.
Speaker 5: Disclosure the time. Yeah, remember the dead Bunny and shit?
Speaker 4: Well, so, uh we mentioned Bennie and June. Another Johnny Depp honorable mention is Secret Window. I know that you didn't love that one.
Speaker 5: I didn't hate it. I had read the short story, or maybe it was a full length novel, I don't really remember, but it was based on the Stephen King's work and they kind of took it was almost like with the Shining, like they took this where it's actually like a haunting possession type thing to where it's a full on, like multiple skitso kind of thing. Yeah, Johnny Depp and of course what's his name from? Oh brother art though John Titureu.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, Pete.
Speaker 5: Pet turned him into a horned toe. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I don't know.
Speaker 5: I think we may have gone over all my honorable mentions. You have any others?
Speaker 4: I have two others, and then we can just sum up our final thoughts.
Speaker 5: Oh I do have one more? What so you go first?
Speaker 4: Well American Psycho.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we did talk about maybe that would end up on the list for one of us. Really fucking you know, I almost regret not having it up there. I love American because they pick this thing that you think it is and then it's even like debated on whether he imagined it or not, but obviously debated.
Speaker 4: But to me, I think it's a better ending if it is imagined, don't you?
Speaker 5: Oh it is, and to me that's what it is. Yeah, Like I can't be persuaded that he really was a killer and they just covered it up because he's rich, right, So some people think yeah, but like they're they're like telling him that he didn't do it because he's too high up, like they're supposed to let him rise, which is an element that would be cool.
Speaker 4: But I just feel like that's too surface level for me.
Speaker 5: No, it seems to be that heid yeah being that yeah, yeah. And we did just watch another movie from the Patrick Bateman universe, based on another novel of his Rules of Attraction, where one of the main characters is the brother of Patrick Bateman, and that's a fun movie. Roger Avery, the guy that helped Tarantina write pulp Fiction, wrote and directed that. But yeah, i'd say American Psycho ten, ten out of ten out of ten. I guess we're rating in down. But I did have another one, Pie. It's an indie movie shot on sixteen millimeter film. It's the debut of the guy that made Recquen for a Dream.
Speaker 4: And well, I definitely haven't seen that.
Speaker 5: It's about a mathematician who's trying to crack the code of everything, and he initially thinks he can. He's a mathematician guy, and he thinks that he can control this, or at least predict the stock market. If he comes up with this number, then he starts seeing no, it's a number that is the equation of everything. And then he starts getting into like old Testament.
Speaker 4: Even so it's like twenty three, like self induced psychosis.
Speaker 5: Well, he gives himself of the botomy with a drill at the end.
Speaker 4: Okay, yeah, and it starts to become very what. He gives himself all the bottomi with this.
Speaker 5: With a drill, and then he just sits in the park not thinking about the number of God. He cracked the code of God and lost his mind.
Speaker 4: For this is again why I say it's hard to pick movies that impress you. You're watching some shit on a whole.
Speaker 5: This is Darren Ronofsky, who made another good movie mother. Did you see that? Yes, that's that's him. That's the rectum for a dream guy.
Speaker 4: I was disturbed by it.
Speaker 5: Loved that movie. I wouldn't say it falls into mental illness. Now the whole other brand of fucking absurdity. So you said you had one more honorable mention.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's the Changeling with Angelina Jolie. Circle back to Girl Interrupted, another Angelina Jolie movie.
Speaker 5: We're talking gas lit and driven driven insanity, hair.
Speaker 4: Ass lit driven insanity. Wow, that movie is for me ten out of ten kooks. They lock her ass up because she won't admit that they've replaced her kid with a kid that's not hers, Like, you know, you grew it in your body for nine months, you've stared at their face for years. They go missing. One day, the cops drop off a random kid and they're like, no, you're crazy if you think this isn't your kid. Literally based on a true story, by the way.
Speaker 5: And brilliantly directed by Clint Eastwood, and uh, I need to watch it again. I've seen it once.
Speaker 4: Ended up being a victim of a serial killer right who was raping and pedophile and all over town, and they still had her locked up in the mental institution because she wouldn't say this random kid they brought to her house was their kid.
Speaker 5: Well, it became a cover or ass type thing after that.
Speaker 4: But anyways, that was so just an honorable mention because the scene where they're like taking her away and knowing it's based on a true story, you would feel completely and utterly helpless at that point, like you know, that's not your kid.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Well, I've got one final honorable mention, what Erase her Head?
Speaker 4: Yeah, no, thanks.
Speaker 5: If you can watch that movie without becoming mentally ill for at least ten minutes after you're done with it, you are gifted. And we are going to watch this after you after birth, probably after he's out of infancy, because it crosses over. Oh god, it's yeah, it's it's something else. But anybody who's seen eraserr Head you'll know why it's an honorable mention. And with that said, I don't know, we're gonna wrap up talking about like maybe the element of cinemania and what's going on today with our technology and the fetishization of being biodivergent not biodepe what do they call it neuro divergent?
Speaker 4: Well for me, yeah, that'll be our final thoughts on him.
Speaker 5: I just thought of one more honorable mention. What twelve Monkeys.
Speaker 4: I don't know if I've seen that.
Speaker 5: It's the guy that made beer and loading in Las Vegas. It's got Bruce Wilson Brad Pitt, and he's a time traveler that goes back after the future or the present day has been wiped out by a plague. He goes back to get information. Bruce Willis ends up in a mental institution because he's telling people he came from the year or whatever, and he goes back to ninety six and he gets in there and Brad Pitt's this fucking psychotic guy. It shows so many compellion elements of like mental illness, because Bruce Willis's character starts to think he is mentally ill and he's not really a time traveler. And there's a lot of good stuff in there anyway.
Speaker 4: Out of ten kukes for you, oh for sure, there are probably so many that were forgetting emails.
Speaker 5: We could go on for hours.
Speaker 4: But I did want to kind of sum up our final thoughts with the fetishization of claiming that you're mentally ill, self diagnosed, self diagnosing, you've never you've never.
Speaker 5: Taken Everybody has anxiety and for some reason it's the new thing to have at the debilitating level. And I don't think it's all fake.
Speaker 4: Well no, but I was going to say you've never. People will just say stuff and it's like, have you ever really, like, have you well been diagnosed? Like I just and it's not that I put a lot of stock into what psychiatrists and psychologists will just like say, oh, you have borderline personalities. Like, I get it. I don't put much stock into that, but people will just literally walk around being like, oh, I can't do that because I'm all get triggered. I have this, I have that, And it's like, do you really or are you just a fucking asshole.
Speaker 5: Oh, there's a lot of that going on, and the mental contagion. You know, a lot of this transissue stuff can be lumped into what's going on today because of a lot of the psyops with the school shootings and uh, just it's one of the most divisive things going on right now. Some people look at it as a normal phenomenon. Some people look at it as a mental illness, and yeah, it is trendy to be fucked up in the head, when in fact we don't really need that much help. And I just was looking at this study or reading about it the other day about the effect that just chat GPT since its arrival is having on younger users, and I mean, don't get it. It's talking people into killing themselves. Have you seen that. It's like a times in the last few months I've seen it pop up.
Speaker 4: I think that there's a darkness to it. But I mean, even besides that, I do think people need to understand that, to some degree, it's normal to just have some dark thoughts every now and again and not be fucking one flew over the cuckoo's nest.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we've talked about the element of it a lot in the last episode. But there's a whole industry of people waiting for you out there just to label you insane or convince you you're insane for nefarious reasons.
Speaker 4: But do you think, like with the mk ultra doctor that was doing all that stuff in Canada, she had postpartum depression. This is a normal thing. This is a biological.
Speaker 5: Thing, anxiety.
Speaker 4: My sister and one other person that I won't mention their name have told me that after they had their baby, they hated their husband and had thoughts of leaving them and or killing them.
Speaker 5: Can't wait.
Speaker 4: But I'm saying, like, you don't need to get electroshock therapy because you have a totally normal biological thing, Like it's okay to have some fucking dark thoughts every day.
Speaker 5: And again, Well fucking better be or else I am fucked.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying like Dexter style dark Passenger fucking well.
Speaker 5: And also, if you're having those thoughts, it's one thing to have them, it's an entirely other thing to act on them. It's not a fucking crime to fantasize about doing horrible things. It is, on the other hand, of crime to bring those things to fruition.
Speaker 4: Have you ever heard of people calling into work though for mental health those that's become a new thing.
Speaker 5: Oh, it's been a real challenge as far as me. I have been in charge of hiring people for the last couple of years. And if that's a question while I'm interviewing you, is how many how would you feel about mental health days? And instead of saying, well, are you going to make it a normal thing? I just ask them what they mean by it, And yeah, that has become a thing. And it's like call in sick. I don't give a shit. But if you need a mental health day every couple of weeks, then you're not reliable because of that. Then I might have to pass you. And I'm not saying there's people who don't need mental health days or that there aren't those people. There certainly are. But now it's like you.
Speaker 4: Said, it's a generation of pussies.
Speaker 5: Well, entire workforces are actually putting them in the A lot of days now that you can have off, I.
Speaker 4: Think you should. I think that the way that the work system is set up with like eight hours at home and or eight hours at work and four hours at home, it's fucking sucks. And then you just live for the weekend where you have a couple of days. You yourself not really Sunday because you're thinking about having to go to work all day the next your choice.
Speaker 5: You don't have to sit there and waste Sunday thinking about Monday.
Speaker 4: I'm just saying I get it mental health days, but it's like a generation of people who think they are entitled to that. Now I'm mentally ill, so I can't.
Speaker 5: Do X y Z. I can't or I will go mentally ill if I don't have my mental health days. Or I know people who struggle fucking mentally and are traumatized and they go to work and they suffer through it because they know that this is how jobs work. It's like for every fucking ten people that really have it, there's one hundred who don't, and they're the ones asking for the mental health and there's yeah, it's just another way to not have to work when you don't feel like it. And then for some people, yeah, they're suffering through every fucking day they're at work.
Speaker 4: I think there's a lot of people on Facebook that are my age group women in particular, patting themselves on the back for having mental illness. And I don't know, maybe I'm just old fashioned in this way, but they'll post pictures of their house a mess, like disgusting, like fucking hoarder type looking shit, and they're like, I just wanted to make a mental health post for all you ladies out there. It's okay sometimes if you can't if you just can't mustard to clean your house today, or it's okay if you just can't take care of your kids today, or it's okay if you just can't be the best version of yourself today. And my mom did have like some weird fucking anxiety shit where she couldn't even like get her hair cut because when they put the cape on her, she'd have a freak out and have to take like three xan X just to calm down. Never once, she kept the house immaculately clean, washed the sheets all the time, did all this. She never once said I need a mental health day, can't take you to school, or cook for you or clean the house up. I don't know. I just is this a generational.
Speaker 5: Thing or I mean it's become normalized and I do think the.
Speaker 4: Easiest version of yourself and just get a pass.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, that the world as we know it this day and age is right for the picking for that kind of mentality, and it is encouraged and it's taken advantage of. And you know, like I said, it's kind of like what you're saying with your mom for every real fucking h what's the word I'm looking for, Like inflicted person who's working their ass off to keep their shit together, taking care of the responsibilities. There's people who are just gonna know that they can. It'll slide if they use those words mental health day. I'm sorry. I'm not the best version of myself most days. You know, when I'm being the best version of myself, that's a fucking special moment. And I don't expect that to be the norm. It doesn't mean I'm mentally ill. It just means it's fuck my life's real. Yeah, And yeah, I don't know. I've fucking felt like walking out of work more times than I care to count. But I'm not going to and I'm not saying I'm inflicted or it's just like you said earlier, this is trendy and pushed and it's meant to have a debilitated populace. So of course this is one angle that they have you chosen to use to get people under their thumb.
Speaker 4: I just feel like people think if their life doesn't look like a real on Faceboo Booker, Instagram or TikTok, that they get depressed about it and it's like, oh, my life doesn't look like this stuff I see on social media. So I'm so.
Speaker 5: I'm just gonna swing that pendulum all the other way, because yeah, I was thinking about that element of it when you mentioned the Facebook thing the first time. Was a lot of people make their life look fake good on social media. The other people are embracing this, like is anybody just like taking a picture of their poop in the morning and being like, just had my coffee. This is a good one, like real, just everyday shit, like or look at those chunks of meat on the mirror. I just flossed out. Now I'm gonna walk my dog and get in a fight with the dog's neighbor. I'm gonna take a picture of that. Like, No, it's either like you're you're setting up a narrative of what your life, what you want it to look like. Whether it's like for me, I don't have the energy to fucking pick up the house today and my kids aren't gonna get a good dinner because it's okay to not be the best.
Speaker 1: You try, you can try, but yeah, and my heart goes up to those people who can't function because they're debilitated by some fucking horrible mental affliction.
Speaker 4: I just th thing goes on social media, though everything goes.
Speaker 5: I think people who document their lives on a regular basis on social media are legitimately insane. Yeah, same, so sorry.
Speaker 4: Pictures of your own fucking face? Do you need to look at how people look at before you feel validated?
Speaker 5: Or even the more fucked up people plastering their kids all over the fucking main source of what pedophiles you use for victim Like, I remember how common it was using dating websites for women to be plastering their kids' faces on their profiles, And that's insane to me. The Internet legitimately is just a pool of insanity.
Speaker 4: So there is the reason I mention it is because there's levels to this shit. Obviously, not everybody is coming out and saying like there are some that are more fetishized than others, because you wouldn't say like, oh, I'm so proud to be schizophrenic, I'm.
Speaker 5: So proud to be a chronic masturbator. You know what I'm saying anal dig on Sundays. It's the Nietzsche ones like, yeah, I'm sorry, it's just a lot of kids have a d D because it's so quick to label him that put him in the pipeline of that thing. But anyway, Yeah, to wrap up on my end of this whole conversation, I just everything we've talked about. I wanted to close out with the quote by C. William King, and I'm gonna be honest here, and I don't know who he is, okay, but I love the quote and it's been embellished and you know, spun off in other ways. You've probably heard it, but it is and in an insane world, a sane man must appear insane. And that wraps up my thoughts on insanity you're.
Speaker 4: Gonna get that tatted on your biele.
Speaker 5: No, I got it tatted right here backwards so I can see it in the mirror like a memento.
Speaker 4: That is a good quote.
Speaker 5: What are your closing thoughts?
Speaker 4: My closing thoughts are, like I said, there's levels to this shit. People think it's cute to like have some form of mental illness. I think that life is hard, okay. I think that people have completely lost coping mechanisms.
Speaker 5: Take up cigarettes like normal people.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you can do that, or I don't know.
Speaker 5: Or as Joe Rogan says, just exercise and hit the SNA and the cold plunge and do whim hof breathing and jiu jitsu, or you.
Speaker 4: Could do that. I just think that our societ is set up for instant gratification on every level, including pharmaceuticals. Uh, you know you're fat, Inject this ozipic. You're depressed, take an antidepressant, and if that doesn't work, we have an antidepressant booster you can try. Oh you have anxiety, take this? Oh you like? Trump wants to put all the homeless people in fucking Laurel Wood encampments to get filed away. I mean it's just our society is not set up in any way, shape or form to help people understand their own minds. And I think, like I said before, there's a spiritual and paranormal aspect to this. What if you're like, this is gonna just be my last little tangent and then I'm done. But you know that one goes show I watch?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's the one the Dead Files. Oh, that one, because they're not just one where she gets.
Speaker 4: Like the psychic lady goes to their house and she'll like tell them what all ghosts are in their house and like how they could be affecting the living people. Do you remember me watching that?
Speaker 5: I don't watch this. I've seen you watch it. I've noticed the woman has dead eyes. I don't believe her. I don't believe any of it. Just listen, I believe ghosts. I don't believe in ghost shows.
Speaker 4: All right. I'm just saying the concept of that show. What if people are literally being oppressed by an interdimensional realm that we have no understanding of, and they misunderstand it as anxiety and depression.
Speaker 5: That's what scientologists say. Really agnostics say, yeah, it's a it's an misunderstood force has us held captive, and that is the basis of a lot of these newer religions.
Speaker 4: Do you think that could be true in a way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, And the people writing the religions are the one doing it. But then they give us the story of Xenu or the story of the Demiurge. But basically those things are metaphors. I mean, look at the matrix. These are things that are metaphors. It's a misunderstood force and that's the reason we are this way.
Speaker 4: I just think that we're surrounded by this other realm at all times, and we could be afflicted by things that cause mental illness, and even on a smaller scale, maybe you're not as sensitive to being affected by it, but like anxiety, depression, dark thoughts, it's like it could literally be coming from not you.
Speaker 5: Well, yeah, I believe that. I believe that sometimes when you're in the flow state and you're writing, whether it's words, you know, script to a podcast, a song, whatever it is, if you just get in that flow state, yeah, it's literally feels as though you're channeling. And I got to think that if you can channel good things, you can channel bad things, you can channel anything in between, and yeah. I do think a lot of this insanity comes from that for sure. Whether that makes me a scientologist or a gnostic, I doubt, but they do run with those notions of.
Speaker 4: Truth behind every big scam I guess. But thanks for joining me for this series. I really appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Do you feel you're welcome?
Speaker 4: Do you feel more or less insane after covering.
Speaker 5: This neither same amount of insane.
Speaker 4: I feel like I learned some stuff that.
Speaker 5: Oh, it was very fun researching.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was gonna say, I feel like I learned some stuff I would have never imagined to find. Actually, but we'll keep you posted on the bonus episode depends if I have a baby hanging halfway out my badge or not, if we could get that accomplished.
Speaker 5: If it's hanging three quarters of the way out, we'll probably squeeze in an episode.
Speaker 4: Squeeze in an episode if it's just.
Speaker 5: Like barely getting there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but this has been a really fun series. Do you want to plug anything.
Speaker 5: Conspiracy? Playtime? Find it wherever? Yeah, that's not why I do this. But if you want to listen to my show, if you don't like me and when I'm with Julia, don't worry about it. If you do like me and you want to hear more, that'd be the place.
Speaker 4: And he has an only fans.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but it's on hiatus right now. My butthole doesn't look good in the month of September.
Speaker 4: But there are previous butthole shots you can go and find on his only Fans. It's called spiracy be whole time.
Speaker 5: It's late.
Speaker 4: And I also wanted to shout out thanks for anyone who had went on the registring and got us gifts for Baby Conspiracy Peach. We appreciate it and thanks for listening. And with that being said, I have one very important, vital piece of information I need you to learn just as soon as humanly possible.
Speaker 10: Domini and it can likum domini Domini? Can it can nicos a balu certain ritique bard Man per dominique converti Domini can it can nicos.
Speaker 5: Five four three two.
Speaker 4: One, Hello, and welcome back to the third installment of the Conspirassylum series. This is insane in the then brain.
Speaker 2: I think.
Speaker 4: This was your pick.
Speaker 5: I picked that for the kture and it doesn't make sense for the pop culture.
Speaker 4: Should we what should we call it?
Speaker 5: Sinecilo cinemania.
Speaker 4: That's a good one.
Speaker 2: No.
Speaker 5: I was going off what you said, though, because I was thinking, like I was actually thinking of me. I was thinking of Mania, and I was trying to like to put Hollywood in there somehow, and there's nothing was rolling. And then as soon as you said sin asylum, I was like, cinemania group aroup. Yeah, you will just start over. Yeah, by four three two one, we'll think you're waiting for something else.
Speaker 2: Okay,