Speaker 1: Check Podcasts.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly podcast. Catch the show Monday through Fudday, ten am to noon on Check.
Speaker 3: I think you're gonna want to hear this.
Speaker 2: Your local sports coverage lives here.
Speaker 4: And the man wearing Dennis Curran's old number six makes it too.
Speaker 2: Nothing with John Taylor.
Speaker 4: I was just gonna say, underrated egg, deviled egg.
Speaker 2: And Rick Dolly Wall.
Speaker 5: How are you gonna go on the coach at eight o'clock tonight? Sits down and let's put it in.
Speaker 3: Here's Donnie and Dolly.
Speaker 4: Ten o'clock and downtown that Krober Brother Paul Carson Studio. Thanks for tuning in, folks. It's Donnie and Dolly the team on Check don Taylor along with who are you?
Speaker 1: Oh?
Speaker 5: Ricky?
Speaker 4: It's it's been a while, Rick Dolly Wall. Ryan Henderson is our producer, He's the man of the control is our director. The voice of God is Derek Wong. The Gang, The Gang is back after nine weeks off?
Speaker 6: How are you?
Speaker 4: And how is your summer?
Speaker 5: I thought we could have got a couple more weeks off. I don't I don't think it was long enough. Donnie.
Speaker 4: Well, we'll see how today's show goes, Mayo will be gone permanently.
Speaker 5: The people that rip us for our holidays and the tea, you guys got a better but your wife's a teacher. Our our holiday package, Don, is better than the teachers. We get ripped for it all the time. Though.
Speaker 4: It's a good thing for us. It's it's a good thing. Oh, we hope people missed us. Where did you go? What did you do?
Speaker 5: Just for some reason? I keep going to Toronto every summer. I'm not gonna lie to you, Don. I like Toronto. It's a nice place. There's Ellie Freeman on the left we had and there's our good pal you know, on the right side, Mitchell and work for and now he's one of the top maple Leafs Scouts. Good pal of ours listens to our show every day from Toronto. And had breakfast with these two guys.
Speaker 4: Is that all you did in Toronto?
Speaker 5: At a party? I did the party, had breakfast with these two. You had a wedding, were Yeah, I was wedding anyways, so a lot of golf. But I didn't do what you did. And you went overseas, and you know what, that was pretty impressive.
Speaker 4: I had a mixed bag when it comes to the holidays. And I'll get to the I guess what you call the negative part maybe maybe later this week. It's a serious subject. But let me talk about the good part and the way it started. I went to Europe. I went with our members of our my wife and one of my kids. We went to went to Europe, Paris, London, Edinburgh, which is just I tweeted about this just amazing. So this is this is my top of Arthur's seat in Edinburgh's Rouse Grind like a hike, maybe not quite as difficult as the Grouse Grind, but man, what a city. Just it's like going back in time, but you've got all the modern amenities. Just I was just my grandfather was Scottish, so it meant a lot to me to go there. It was fabulous. We also went to Liverpool, so the Beatles, where my mother in law grew up, as well in Dublin. But the biggest thing about doing this, and I don't know if you can relate to this, because you you're quite the world traveler I know, is that this that was my first trip to Europe, really, and so as a result, I am no longer going to get euro shamed. If you're at a party, your something, you're meeting with a bunch of people, especially when you're my age, and you tell them that you haven't been to Europe, like alarms go off.
Speaker 5: You haven't been to Europe.
Speaker 4: You have to leave now. Honestly, you know what I'm talking about.
Speaker 1: Somebody thinks like some.
Speaker 4: People like my son didn't grow up with you know, a lot of money, My parents weren't, we didn't go to Europe, and I just never ever found the time or had the desire to go. But now you're actually I got there. But it was the like I felt like I should have been in jail, not going to Europe. And so now I've gone, and that's that's and I realized there are a lot of other cities, a lot of other countries to visit there and other places on the planet. But now I'm no longer going to get euro shamed, as I call it, And that's a real positive, maybe the number one takeaway from my summer. So stop the euroshaming. In fact, stop it with me and maybe with everybody. Not everybody wants to go to Europe, not everybody has the means to go to Europe, So stop with the euro shaming.
Speaker 5: Yeah you went to Paris as well.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, amazing Eiffel Tower.
Speaker 5: You you were the guy.
Speaker 4: This summer, my son and I got off the plane and went right up the Eiffel Tower. We walked not to the top it was closed, but the second the second floor, if you want to call it that. And then we did the same thing the last day we were there.
Speaker 5: How impressive is that.
Speaker 4: It's just amazing. It's just amazing. A great, great, great feel, a great, great time. So the euro shaming is over.
Speaker 5: It's over. You've been there.
Speaker 4: And by the way, we talked about this before the show. Everybody talked about you're going to Paris, You're going to France. The people aren't very friendly there. Nothing could be further from the truth for me. Anyway, they were tremendous. London was a beast. My nephew was there. He we toured around, you know, we did. We were in a place called how long is the show? Two hours? We were in a place called Earl's Court. That's where we Earl's Court, Earl's Court, Earl's Court. And for you longtime radio listeners in Vancouver, people who used to listen to c KNW. Maybe still do. There used to be I can't remember the name of the host. There used to be a silk Till Phil No, that wasn't Phillip Till. Well, Phillip's name is not Earl. So there used to be a segment called Earl's Court. Anyway, we stayed there. It's like a fairly short walk away from Sanford Bridge where Chelsea plays. This was this was just ad libbing. We just went there. What a tremendous tour we had. Now now Chelsea's my new favorite soccer tea.
Speaker 5: You're going to be a tour guide now over there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was tremendous.
Speaker 5: Good for you, Earl Bradford. Earl Bradford, Earl Bradford. Very good. Phillip Till Okay, okay, I was thinking Philip Till. I know Phillip Till. Phillip Tail is a good.
Speaker 4: Guy, but he didn't host Earl's Court. Oh we did, yeah, Branford's that come on from one of our great listeners.
Speaker 1: No, that comes from BC Radiohistory dot com.
Speaker 5: Oh, googling, googling.
Speaker 4: Well, anyway, it's right beside where Chelsea plays. And uh, it was just tremendous. And then you had lunch with Read and an Elliott in tron the golf Do we golf with with Elliott?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 5: But our buddy there, Clinn Glinn, you know kill Horn kill Okay?
Speaker 4: Here? Sure?
Speaker 5: Not in Toronto, Alex Cleinman, Yeah, Cleinman, great, great guy. He's my neighbor. He's a good guy. Takes us to Morgan Creek.
Speaker 4: All the time. Yeah. How much was it there? Very expensive for me and Alex? Okay, We're so happy to be back, folks, and we're gonna get right to it here. Jake, the Jake Milford Tournament is going on right now. And is it hot today in outside?
Speaker 5: No?
Speaker 4: I don't get When I came in today, there was a little bit of a heat wave in here. I'm telling you right now, I don't care how hot it is outside. There's no way it's hotter outside that it is in here. Right, What did you do with the air conditioning?
Speaker 5: I walked in and it was like a heat waved on. He just hit us, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Right?
Speaker 1: What's going up? We're having some air conditioning as like we're sweating right now.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is not good for another nine week recently.
Speaker 8: We can play right, because usually you like it to be a meat locker in here. Yes, it is like minus lockety yeah, but kidding aside, it's I think it's like twenty seven to twenty eight degrees.
Speaker 4: At least at least So the Jake Milford Tournament is going on right now out at Northview, and we understand that some players are being made available to the media, So perhaps by the end of the show we'll have some audio from some of the Cannuck players who are out there golfing. It's a great event at a great golf course. Let's get right to it here, because this is the subject, and I'm not sure if he's golfing today. That the subject of the last two months. When it comes to the kodukstatuer, Dempko and the Knucks goal tank situation, we all saw what happened in the playoffs. He plays, the one game reoccurrence of the knee injury, or at least another knee injury, misses the rest of the postseason. Archer Selofs takes over and then it turns out he has a knee issue. But what's the latest on Thatcher Dempko.
Speaker 5: So Donny the million dollar question is thatcher De Dempko's health. We're just going to have to wait and see on day one and training camp how active he is. Will he be in a group of other goalies or skate by himself. Will he be taking shots now? The fact he was skating last week was a positive sign, but lots of work to do before he's one hundred percent. He was not taking shots last week when he was on the ice. Skated twice last week. He is golfing, which I presumed.
Speaker 4: Dot today he's golfing.
Speaker 5: Not today, but somebody said they saw him golfing last week, which I think is a good sign.
Speaker 4: Who's somebody that's on I'm telling you the people.
Speaker 5: He was golfing at the tournament that Caducks Red Hamilton Red Hamilton tournament. So some people are saying that, which I think is a good sign. He's being more active preseason game's done and the regular season opener. Not sure about that right now for demp Goo. But here's the thing. Why rush this? He's just starting goaltender, He's coming off back to back knee injuries. There are some who feel he was rushed last year to play in the playoffs. Don did Dempko have a medical procedure this summer. Some think he had his knees scope, but no one's confirming that. I've been told this on demp Go. He's making progress. It is slow and it is steady. That's the best way to describe it.
Speaker 4: Why would they be so quiet when it comes to a procedure.
Speaker 5: Because then we are in Vancouver, there's a hot Canadian market. Whether he had the procedure or not, then everybody freaks out.
Speaker 4: Everybody's freaking out now because they're not disclosing any information.
Speaker 5: His rehab was a lot slower in mid August, but the fact he hit the ice, and by the way he hit the ice last Tuesday morning before twenty Knuck players hit the ece, Ian Clark was on the ice with him. So look, it's wait and see, as Jim Rutherford said last week, wait for the medicals, wait to see him on first day. I think he'll do some work on the ice, but I'm not so sure he'll do it with other goaltenders do. I don't know if he's there yet. I know he's not ready to take shots yet. That's a big thing, going up and down on your knees for a goaltender. Not there yet a side to side. I think he's okay, but there's there's just a lot of work to do before he is the old thatcher demp.
Speaker 4: Go September nineteenth in Penticton. That's when training camp opens for the Vancouver Canucks. So was he not handled well, like, Okay, let me make rush, let me go back he rushed.
Speaker 5: I think he was.
Speaker 4: Clark has been reassigned within the organization. They have a new goaltending coach right, but Ian Clark is still there. Arthur Selofs also with a knee. Is is when when he and I'm going to ask this, but with with Ian Clark, I mean, is that a punishment that he gets reassigned the organization or doesn't have to do with what everybody's heard his own health?
Speaker 5: Ian Clark went to the Canucks. The Canucks didn't go to Ian Clark. Ian Clark went to the Canucks and said, I've got issues with my knee and my shoulder. I don't want to do the on ice uh every day with the goaltender. So that was Ian Clark. The Canucks did not push him out. He's got two years left on his contract. I don't think he wanted to become a scout. I think he wanted a higher role, you know, than being than being relegated to a scout. But I do believe that that that had none to do with the Canucks. That was Ian Clark that went to them and said, hey, I need to back off on going on the ice so much. Is he getting some of the blamed you know, yes, yes, there's people that believe that Dempko was pushed too hard to come back in the first game in Nashville, and he gets hurt first game against Nashville, So yeah, there there's there's feelings out there that he's been rushed and if feelings over the years he's been overplayed in Vancouver. You know, now the Canucks if they let Casey de Smith go, and I think that was a mistake, and then that's why they're out there trying to get another backup goaltender right now, don And you know, whether they get him or not, I don't know. But if they would have just got Casey to Smith done again, they wouldn't be in the pickle they are today. I'll tell you that much.
Speaker 4: What was clearly the wrong decision, and it's easy for me to say it right now, easy for anybody to say hindsight is twenty twenty because they win. They start with Demko and they end up winning the series with the Smith and then eventually Arthur's selanoffs came in. So had they started with one of those two other goaltenders other than Demko, you think they'd still win when the series, and Demko might not have hurt himself.
Speaker 5: Now, they don't want to pay much for a backup goaltender. They're trying to do what they did with Spencer Martin and that didn't work, is pay a goaltender less than a million dollars to be the backup. Didn't work last night last time, and they want to try it again.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so they have though eurepitter uh yep, two years, a two way deal the goaltenders though that they might be interested in right now that could be available or are available.
Speaker 5: So the Canucks are still pursuing UFA goaltender Kevin Lancann and the Canucks have made him an offer. It's under one million dollars in Nashville.
Speaker 4: Guy.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so the Canucks offer is under a million dollars. It's not good enough because lanclan and made two million last year in Nashville. He's not going to take under a million. The Canucks don't want to spend much money on the backup. They don't want to put Tucker Pluman on LTI R Donnie to get the goalie. They want to keep that money for the trade deadline. One more guy. Canucks have called the agent for UFA goaltender Anti Ranta. They offered a PTO, but that's not what the player is looking for right now. I think he's looking for a contract. But those things can change as the pressure points come up for all these UFAs without deals done. Training camp around the corner. But right now Anti Ranta has told the Canucks that he does not want to as of right now, does not want to accept it PTO.
Speaker 4: All sorts of items to deal with in today's show, A lot to do with the Canox. We want to talk about brock Besser's situation, of course, missing part of the playoffs last year, the blood clotting issues, Daniel Spraung, a signing that took place after we left for holidays, Sammy Blaze facility put Coles and goes to Admonton. So let's you know, we'll do that as the as they maybe in the next segment. As a matter of fact, we also want to talk about what the BC Lions have been up to that event in Victoria. And I know they won a big game last week in Montreal against the very good Alouette's team, but that event in Victoria, touchdown Pacific looked just absolutely trying to know. There were some issues with lineups for beer. There always seems to wash something in washing them. There always seems to be issues with that. And they know that and next time around that they hope that won't happen. But the way it looked on television and everybody I know that that went had just a fabulous time.
Speaker 5: City you want Victoria, what a great job. Boy did they ever do a great job. And now the lines you're going to have to do this again because of the World Cup. I don't know if they're going Donnie back to Victoria, maybe Kelowna, I don't know, but they have now got a decision to make. But they do now know the Lions that going to these smaller communities it can work. The only thing that sucks is at attend it's fourteen thousand. If you can get which was a seller. Well, if you can get if you can push up the attendance to twenty twenty five in some of these smaller communities, it would be massive, massive.
Speaker 4: Ryan has some information on the white Caps played to a scroll to draw against Dallas on Saturday. That's later on on the show. Here's what else is coming up and again, so happy to be back, folks. Is it just me? Coming up in the next hour in the eleven o'clock hour along with d TMZ all sorts of news in the entertainment realm When we were off, Elliott Friedman is gonna ju us from how can I in Canada? In the thirty two Thoughts podcast. Who's he having lunch with today? We don't know. He's in Vegas.
Speaker 5: He's in Vegas. He just touched down ten minutes ago.
Speaker 4: So Elliet is going to join us just after eleven o'clock. Big Ride the Twitter guy coming up later this hour. Also Ross Tucker from CBS Sports. He's becoming one of the best and the best football analysts out there. He was so good working the Bills and Cardinals yesterday the Ross Tucker Football podcast, West but One. He's going to join us a couple of segments from now up next, we're going to introduce the poll question and has a whole lot to do with the Cannucks. Some more Connuct news that's coming up next. We're so happy to have you back, folks. We had ourselves a great time off, great vacation and again happy to be back. Thanks so much for tuning in. Donnie and Dolly the Team I.
Speaker 9: Check Donnie and Dolly the Team is supported by Abelauctions dot ca A Closing your business we can.
Speaker 6: Help whole question waddling dog pole question.
Speaker 4: Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs where you can enjoy twenty caps and twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks and UFC. Come sit and stay at the Dog today Pole question Rick. It has to do with the subject we tackled in our first segment.
Speaker 5: Absolutely, Ryan, get her up. I'm gonna say it for the first time.
Speaker 4: Get her up.
Speaker 5: Our waddling dog pup pole question. Is that your Demko's durability the Canucks number one concern heading into the season. It's well, it's not fifty to fifty. It's it tells you exactly how important the story is. A ninety one percent say yeah, his durability is a concern right now. He's coming off back to back knee injuries, Donnie, and he's not ready. You know, we don't know if he's going to be ready for the regular season opener. It's up in the air. It is definitely a concern.
Speaker 4: Well, this is a team that I think a lot of people and look, we read things on the internet, we hear things on you know, the NHL network. A lot of people think the Canucks can really make some noise and after the progress they made last season, they've got a Vesnat Trophy finalist absolutely on their roster and his health as a concern, of course, And you know, I for some reason I thought that the poll wouldn't be that one sided. But you know, you second thought, obviously this is the number one concern. You've got this stud in goal, and you don't know if he's going to be completely healthy to start the season, and you don't know how healthy is going to be when you look at the entire season. Of course, it's a huge concern.
Speaker 5: And people don't realize, like the stories out there are that the Canucks are looking for a PTO goaltender. But what people don't realize they have made an offer to Kevin Lancan And if Lancannon wakes up tomorrow don and says okay, I'll accept the Canucks offer, then what so what happens in he comes in? You bumped Sea Logs to Absburg and now you got a logjam there. You got three goaltenders in Absberg. Yeah, the preference is to have a PTO. But you got to remember that they made an offer and they've been after lanc and for a while. He's their number one target. There's no question in my mind.
Speaker 4: So he would be well, I see he'd be looking for a one year probably a one way deal, so he's not going down to Atbmsford. But how does Sea Loovs take that? Well, after being pretty impressive last season, well just in the playoffs.
Speaker 5: Hey, you're you're the king of telling me this. How does Vernon Adams feel right now? You know? Uh, Nathan Rourke comes in and that's business.
Speaker 4: I guess it's business.
Speaker 5: It's business, and pro sports is all.
Speaker 4: That much better than Archer Sea Loofs.
Speaker 5: I think experienced made two million last year and he had a really he's had two really good years in Nashville. Uh, lancoln and has, so we'll see how that ends up. I don't know if you'll ever accept the Vancouver offer, but it's there for him.
Speaker 4: What's more likely Lancolnan or Anti Ranta or who's more likely to come to Vancouver?
Speaker 5: Time will tell well, I can't handicap it, Lincoln, what's your gut feeling. So my gut feeling is they really like Lanc and they really want him.
Speaker 4: But why is that a bad question?
Speaker 5: It's not a bad question. I didn't say it was a bad question. What I said was I don't have a good read on this. As you get closer to camp, these guys are gonna have to what's your saying, don get off the you know, uh, you know what it is, but anyways, get off. Yeah, that's it, that's the saying. Because listen, training caps coming. These guys either have to accept the PTOs or they have to accept contracts.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, they've got the Terra who's on a two way deal.
Speaker 5: Petera's on a two ways. They got Tolapilo. Don't forget Tolapilo too.
Speaker 4: There's a lot of goalies there they got. I think they've got enough. But all this will we will go by the wayside, if thattor Dempko is is healthy. Okay, what about the what you talk to a lot of people, what about the thought that Thatcher deampco is is fragile? You know, he's injury prone.
Speaker 5: Well he back to back, Donnie, what do you want? What do you want us to say? He gets hurt at the end of the year, they bring him back for the playoffs first game, gets hurt again. I mean, you know you hope, yeah, you were hoping that this summer he just had a really good rehab, got working training and everything. It looks like rehab this summer was a lot slower than everybody expected, and now he's coming back slow.
Speaker 4: There is probably well that's probably a good idea, maybe one that they probably would have been a good idea on the spring. Yeah right, yeah, So why push when they were playing so Donny?
Speaker 5: Why push him?
Speaker 4: Now?
Speaker 5: Just get the guy because.
Speaker 4: You learned from your mistakes from yeah right, yes, yes, brock Besser, what's happening there?
Speaker 5: Oh boy, brock Bester's the UFA. Where's that? You got the clip out right? I wanted to show that from strang.
Speaker 1: This is two tweets.
Speaker 8: As Donnie mentioned, Jake Milford golf tournament happening in Northview in Fleetwood today, So the players are speaking of the media.
Speaker 1: This is two separate tweets. You want to just read it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you go ahead, Okay, go ahead.
Speaker 8: This is from Brock bess First of all, he's off blood thinners and has resumed contact training.
Speaker 1: It will be a situation and monitor throughout the season. The forward says that he will need to be careful on flights this year, can wear compression gear and use Norma Tech to help. I don't know what Norma tech is anyway.
Speaker 4: Which Norma tech, Donny, I'm not a doctor.
Speaker 5: We're gonna our best.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: It's it's it's it got something to do with gear, Norma tech. Maybe I didn't stop guessing.
Speaker 8: How about the other thing is about his contract. The other piece of bas is about his contract. That's the tweet at the top. Besser says he's going to let the contract negotiations with the Caducks play out as he enters the final year of his deal. Here's the quote, coming off the blood clot. I think I got a lot to prove. Of course, brocket a great I mean fantastic.
Speaker 5: Not only the forty goals, but he had seven more in the playoffs, and I believe he scored four after he broke his finger in Game three in Nashville and in the practice where Miller hit him with a shot. Look at there was no track talks between the Canucks and Besser this summer. Here's the deal with Besser. Forty goals, last year, top playoff performer. He's got good numbers, UFA. At the end of the year, it is very, very dangerous, Don If the Canucks are gonna wait and they're gonna wait and wait on Besser, I don't have a problem with them wait until Christmas and saying, okay, are you gonna score forty again before we give you seven to seven and a half and eight. But the longer this goes and the longer it goes, it and if he continues to light light it up with goals, he'll get over eight million. And the other one for you, Don is they also need to know. The Canucks need to know where Lakara Mackie is. Is he close? Is he close to getting you know? Can he do it this year or show signs to being there next year? I really believe that the Canucks would really like to get a good grasp on knowing where Lakara Macki is before they go and you know, give a long term deal the.
Speaker 4: Best because we've said on the show before when you look at Lakara Mackie, a right handed winger that's with a pretty good shot, he seems like somebody who could fill the brock Besterer role. So maybe you don't want it. Maybe you don't want to be redundant, right, So why give Besser a whole bunch of even though we got forty goals last year, there's a whole lot of respect. They're given everything he's gone through. Do you want two of them? Right? So if Lakara Maki shows promise, obviously that could weigh way into things. By the way, Norma tech compression therapy products and you look at a lot of these things, it looks like something out of RoboCop.
Speaker 5: Right, hold this, you gotta wear that whole thing?
Speaker 1: Yeah, you have these on right now, Dolly wall So you tell us how this is.
Speaker 4: But you don't have any blood cltting just like the way they look.
Speaker 5: Can you tell me what this is?
Speaker 4: This just set compression therapy products.
Speaker 5: So you sit in it and you push your button into what happened?
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess you put it on one boot at a time.
Speaker 8: I think it's essentially a hyperbaric chamber kind of idea that you wear, right, but.
Speaker 5: You're not telling us what it does.
Speaker 1: It's all about it's.
Speaker 4: All about prevention of blood clot.
Speaker 5: It's probably about moving your blood nerve probably heated and stuff like that.
Speaker 1: We've done a great job explaining it that I could say for sure.
Speaker 4: Well, at least I thought it would have been pills. We've gone past that. Okay, anything else on Bester, No, you want to see him stay, don't you? Absolutely as a cannock fan, I know it's business. I get all that, but he can't everyone who is so popular.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 4: But he gave my kid a stick.
Speaker 1: See, this is what it always comes down to.
Speaker 4: Something.
Speaker 8: You know, you don't like Pederson because the way he looks, he looks good.
Speaker 1: You don't like him.
Speaker 4: You're brought a good looking guy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he gave your kid a stick, so that drumps everything. He could be the hit most hideout.
Speaker 5: And by the way, by.
Speaker 4: The way, it was one of those things where, oh you your kid got one because you're a member of the media. No, my kid was just that a warm up had a sign best game stick.
Speaker 10: No.
Speaker 8: The interesting thing is you actually said to Brock, Hey, you know who I am and brockwn No, I don't.
Speaker 4: Well, it's most of the people in.
Speaker 5: You haven't said eleven point five yet. I'm very impressed.
Speaker 4: Eleven six.
Speaker 5: Actually yeah, is it eleven six or eleven five?
Speaker 4: Eleven six? We'll get to that. I'm sure zero goals in December. It'll happen. Oh, just kidding, that's not going to happen. Okay, up next, Well, first of all, Elliott Freeman is going to join us at eleven o'clock. Big Rye coming up later this hour, and up next from the Ross Tucker Football Podcast. Able.
Speaker 1: First, I know you're an a rusty, but.
Speaker 4: This is unbelievable.
Speaker 6: You never told me this.
Speaker 5: He did?
Speaker 1: I did? He did? Oh Rick's actually backing me up.
Speaker 5: Able during the break, you said, get able at.
Speaker 4: The quarterback matchups in the NFL right now, just amazing. You know, starting out with Mahomes and Jackson on Thursday, it's just just tremendous.
Speaker 8: A Dallas Cleveland game, quarterback plays stop fantastic stop it.
Speaker 4: September seventeenth. Able Auctions will sell the contents of a closed, multifaceted print shop. September eighteenth. Able Auctions will sell commercial restaurant equipment and an inventory of brand new kitchen appliances, including a twenty thousand dollars Smeg Designer of It. A Smeg Designer of It September nineteenth. Able Auctions will sell industrial equipment, including storage containers and mini excavators. For information on these auctions and a whole variety of other auctions, go to Amble Auctions dot ca to get your business assets sold at auction. Email sales at dot ca, sales at ab l e Auctions dot C. A Ross Tucker on the NFL next DONNYE. Dolly the team on check.
Speaker 5: The Mayside Resort is a boutique luxury resort like no other. Nestled on the bluff above beautiful Parksville Beach, this beautiful ocean front property prides themselves on offering a uncompromising fusion up West Coast authenticity and bespoke luxury. Their guests have come to expect a truly personal experience where all senses are indulged. The setting is gorgeous. The memories last a lifetime. Whether you're looking for a panoramic ocean view or an on site fitness center, indoor outdoor pool, oceanfront restaurant, loud high speed internet access, or the perfect place for your next corporate event. The Bayside ocean Front Resort the perfect choice any time of the years. Called two five, zero, two, four, eight eight, triple three and book your stay today.
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, that's what I'm talking about.
Speaker 4: All of our guests today on this Monday are sponsored by Bysant Motors. We are back, and so is Baissant Motors. So is Bassant Motors Scholarship who wrote this bigger than ever with thirty three thousand dollars in scholarships awarded. I'll learn more at Basa and T motors dot com. After that read I am no longer eligible for a scholarship. As that we bring in from the Ross Tucker Football Podcast, CBS Sports and Westwood One. He worked the bills in Cardinal Sunday in Buffalo. Our friend, Ross Tucker, Long time, No talk to you, Ross, How are you, sir?
Speaker 3: Awesome? How are you guys doing? Nice to see you, Nice to talk with you it's been a while.
Speaker 5: Yeah, nice to see you.
Speaker 4: Right back at you. How are you? How is your annual ski trip?
Speaker 3: I am fantastic.
Speaker 7: The ski trip was wild because it was I think I went to the math right. I think it was thirteen straight days of skiing and I held up pretty well, I would say till like day ten or eleven, and then I had some pretty bad patella tennanis and I just kept skiing.
Speaker 3: Anyway.
Speaker 7: I'm like a bell to bell guy, right, so right when they open it, I'm there.
Speaker 3: I ski all day until it's closed.
Speaker 7: Then I go and I have a terrific app ray ski and meal, and then I go to bed. Like I go to bed early, I believe it or not. I actually work out in the morning.
Speaker 4: Oh my god, Wow, ski all day.
Speaker 7: So I think I did five days in Bail with my high school buddies, including half a day Sunday morning before I flew to Utah.
Speaker 3: Did was it like eight days in Utah? Which was it was awesome?
Speaker 7: The answer is it was awesome, But I've had to do like some rehab and stretches ever since, because evidently that's a lot on your quads to ski at two hundred and sixty pounds for thirteen straight days, for seven hours every day.
Speaker 4: All that a physical activity explains why you're looking so good and sounding so good. Yesterday Bills and Cardinals. Bills end up winning that game thirty four to twenty eight. That had to come back to do that.
Speaker 1: Where are they at?
Speaker 4: Where Where's Josh Allen at? Where are the Bills at as a team that might contend for a Super Bowl?
Speaker 3: I think there's pretty much where they have been. I really do.
Speaker 7: I mean, I know they don't have Stefan Diggs anymore, but I think they still have enough at receiver. You know, Khalil Shakir was highly efficient last year, and he made some impressive plays yesterday. I mean the one touchdown where he kind of like corkscrewed his body in h had another catch critical play where he bounced off with defender. Shaki has some unique ability. They really have something there with Khalil Shakir. And then I think the offensive line fight The defense is a little bit more concerning right because Matt Milano is.
Speaker 3: Out for a while. They've got two new safeties.
Speaker 7: And then the thing to keep an eye on is Tarren Johnson, their nickelback who went out early in the game yesterday. He's arguably the best nickel in the league, so to not have him that would be a huge loss. I mean, you can argue that tarn Johnson and Matt Milano are their two best defensive players, so that would be big. But Josh Allen is just so fun to watch. I mean, we got the whole experience, right, We got the two rushing touchdowns, two passing touchdowns. I guess I read somewhere where he's done that four times now. Nobody else has ever done that, which is cool. He was like flying through the air, but he also had a fumble. I mean, that's the Josh Allen experience.
Speaker 5: Hey, Ross, Tyreek Hill, My goodness, s Git's detained released by the police on his way to the game. You know he's dealing with that. Then he gets in the game, eighty yard touchdowne hundred and thirty yards receiving. I can't imagine what was going through his head. It's hard enough to prepare for an NFL game, Ross without going through what he did. Were you surprised he did as well as he did?
Speaker 3: No, not really.
Speaker 7: I mean he's an unbelievable player. He had done everything during the week to prepare for the game. I guess I'm more curious about hearing.
Speaker 3: About just how long he was detained.
Speaker 7: Yeah, And the thing that's troubling to me about that is, you know, Tyreek Hill has a history, and people can whatever they want about Tyreek Hill.
Speaker 3: Based on the history. That's fine.
Speaker 7: Kalaius Campbell also has a history and and and that history is being the Walter Payton Man of the Year in the NFL. And evidently he said after the game that he was handcuffed as well when he came and saw Tyreek Hill and he tried to de escalate the situation, he got handcuffed as well. That is that is concerning to me. I don't know what the process is there. Maybe that's just standard operating procedure if someone's coming comes over while someone else is being detained. I don't know, but uh, it sounded like those guys all had, you know, uh, cameras on body cam. So I think I think there'll be a lot more information coming out because I'm the Kalaiis Campbell parts. The one that especially troubles me.
Speaker 5: Hey, Russ the Seahawks and not a great first half, good second half, Yeah, you got the new head coach, Mike mcdonnald, new coordinators, the whole nine yards. Well, what are your views on this team? Talk a little bit about the win over Denver, but what do you like about their offseason moves and what they can do this year?
Speaker 7: I think the Seahawks are pretty much It's funny because I don't know. I mean, there's teams I won't say this about, but there's a bunch of teams that I feel like in Week one, at least, you know, to use the Dennis Green line, they are who we thought they were, you know, I mean the Seahawks offensive line had its struggles. We saw that with the two safeties, but then credit to those guys. They run blocked better in the second half for Kenneth Walker. We know they've got good receivers. Gino Smith had that nice long run. That's part of his game. I feel like that's a little bit underrated and he deserves some credit for his ability to make some plays with his legs. And I think the defense is kind of just okay. You know, they were able to turn over Bonix a couple times.
Speaker 3: He struggled when he's driving the ball down the field.
Speaker 7: I think the Seahawks are a league average team would be my guest. The question is now whether Gino Smith and can make enough plays and the head coach, Mike McDonald can do enough to get them the nine or ten wins so that they're in the mix of going to the postseason as opposed to seven or eight wins, because I think they're in that range.
Speaker 4: Talk with Ross Tucker Ross. Tom Brady works his first game for Fox as an NFL analyst, all sorts of criticism, some praise on social media. I thought he was just fine. What advice would would you give him? Maybe he's reached out to you, I'm not sure, But what advice would you give him? And what can you tell people about that job that they might not know.
Speaker 7: Number One, it's a lot harder than you think. I think it's a lot easier than people. It's a lot easier when you're sitting on the couch and saying I would make this comment right now, I'd say this right now.
Speaker 3: I saw this.
Speaker 7: You know, that's a lot easier than when you're actually there and you have a bunch of monitors and you have a producer in your ear, and they're telling you what replay they want to show, and you know, and by the way, there's twenty two guys on the field, so you know, you're not necessarily always looking at the same thing as everybody else, you know. I mean, that's kind of the art to it. So that's Number one is that's probably a lot harder of a job than people realize. I'm not worried about that part of it with Tom or the preparation, because I'm sure he you know, in fact, he's probably over prepared. You know, he probably prepared so much that he had so much information that what actually is the key then as a broadcaster, is you have all this information, it doesn't matter unless you make sure that you see, say the important things that you have, the things that you really think are important to mention and or if you had this information when that play happens in the game, and it may or may not happen, but when it happens, that bam, you're ready, and that's the time when you can can drop that information that you had prepared going into it. I didn't, you know, I was driving back from Buffalo to my house in Central Pennsylvania. I didn't get a chance to hear one second so I can't really comment from my perspective other than I would be I'd be scared to go back and watch my first game.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 7: Thankfully, my first game was not the Cowboys in the Browns.
Speaker 4: Yes it was.
Speaker 3: It was penn Yale. Although I will say this, Pennyale was a.
Speaker 7: Big game that year in seven and it went to triple overtime.
Speaker 3: So I was hooked as a broadcast. I was like, this is amazing triple overtime. Like these kids are crying us Like I was sold.
Speaker 7: I'm being a broadcaster that day, my first game ever on TV.
Speaker 4: What do you think is harder being an NFL analyst or hosting a show like this one? Yeah?
Speaker 7: Well, I can tell you the hardest of those three would be being a college football analyst. Because Week one, Week one, I'm doing UCLA Hawaii. I didn't know any players for UCLA and Hawaii, or not many, at least I knew a couple.
Speaker 3: And then by the way, there was probably Hawaii.
Speaker 7: Had sixty nine guys in the pronunciation guide, Ucla had like thirty five.
Speaker 3: A lot of Polynesian names. I mean, you.
Speaker 7: Can't get that wrong in prime time on CBS, Rick, you can't do that, and so I would say, your job seems pretty easy. I mean, you sit there. Rick already has his questions written down like three segments in advance. During the commercial break, Rick looks to see if if the Canucks you know, signed a new guy to send down the AHL, if anything's happening in junior hockey.
Speaker 3: I mean, there is no job easier than you, guys.
Speaker 5: I got a text agent's all day, Ross, I got a text agents all day, get the information.
Speaker 3: Come on, I have a question, Rick. I believe that right. I believe that that's a huge part of your job. Do you like it?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 5: I talked to one this morning at six o'clock.
Speaker 1: I got in the car right away.
Speaker 7: Call them no, I mean, do you do you like your job?
Speaker 3: Do you like that out?
Speaker 5: Oh? I love it? And I just said on the couch I text these guys for info all day. They helped me out. It's great, Row.
Speaker 4: The big takeaway there was sitting on the couch.
Speaker 5: The cell phone, greatest invention.
Speaker 4: Ross.
Speaker 5: I get the text people in Sweden, Finland, russ shots great.
Speaker 4: None of them has anything to do with your job. But hey, Ross, very quickly, Dak Prescott, is he worth sixty smell a year.
Speaker 7: Yeah, yeah, I mean with the way today's NFL is and what the salary cap is, if you can get top five quarterback play, I mean, let's just say there was no salary cap. How much do you think, like David Tepper, the owner of the Carolina Panthers, would pay.
Speaker 3: For top five quarterback play. And then we can go right down the line, Tennessee Titans.
Speaker 7: I mean, there's a bunch of teams that if you said you can have Dak playing the way Dak has played the last couple of years for the next ten years, they would pay a lot of money because it changes everything. It changes every aspect of an NFL organization. They're more important than the head coach, the GM, the owner. Nothing moves the needle on.
Speaker 3: An NFL franchise like the starting quarterback.
Speaker 4: Great to have you back, Ross, thanks so much. Great to hear that you had a good time off and great listening to you yesterday. Thanks so much, my Frank.
Speaker 3: You guys appreciate it.
Speaker 4: You bet Ross Tucker, CBS Sports Westwood One again work the Cardinals, Bills won, and Bills yesterday in Buffalo Jets at forty nine Ers tonight Aaron Rodgers. It's gonna be Brissus brock Perdigan. By the way, the Seahawks after that win yesterday versus they're in New England next weekend. That's it. We're gonna take a break now, Big Ride the Twitter Guy, Next Tony Deling. The team on check able Auctions specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold, please email sales at able Auctions dot Ca.
Speaker 11: That's sales at a b l E Auctions dot Ca. Time for Big Ryde the Twitter guy.
Speaker 4: After nine months off?
Speaker 1: Yes, yes, weeks off? Yeah, it felt like nine months. It was a good break. I enjoyed it. Can you talk? Yeah?
Speaker 8: Did you unplug your mic? I can't hear you, Nina.
Speaker 4: You're about to take nine months?
Speaker 1: Can you do me a favorite? Because I can't go over there?
Speaker 8: Can you see if his No, don't it's unplugged, isn't it. Yeah, dude, first show back and you're not plugging your mic.
Speaker 1: You've unplugged your mic hey, Rick Kelly well unplugged. Yeah, this is great. You've never sound it better. We we still cannot hear you. So you I'd love for you to try.
Speaker 8: Nina's now going to try and help you out because God knows you will not be able to do it, even though it's one little thing you gotta plug in anyway.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's set. We've got it. This is unbelievable. Loick at this. It is plugged in. Okay, so then that's a bigger concern. I don't know what you've done.
Speaker 4: Show has never sounded better.
Speaker 8: We'll look at it in the Breakay, Okay, we got a backlog of photos. We've got a million photos you Donnie could take a look at. He's got a ton of expertise, a backlog of photos we got to get to from over the summer break.
Speaker 1: First of all, this is k Man.
Speaker 5: Okay.
Speaker 1: K Man's on the right, his buddy Jack's on the left.
Speaker 8: In the middle is my good pal Ian Radnich Team BC. I've showed I've showed cay Man and Ean before, but TEAMBC over the weekend. The U seventeen TEAMBC men's program won the Alumni Cup in Calgary over Labor Day weekend, and k Man set this photo. He's got the he's got the Donnie and Dolly shirt on. His buddy Jack's got the Sports Paige shirt on. So we appreciate this photo from beautiful Calgary. Again, my good pal Ian Radnich in the middle, lacrosse coach extraordinaire. This is such a disaster and it's day one with the Alumni Cup over Labor Day weekend.
Speaker 1: Okay, now moving on another photo.
Speaker 8: We got to hear him yet, No, we still can't hear him, and we can bare to hear you.
Speaker 5: Now you gotta fix your mic hell.
Speaker 8: This is such a disaster anyway, Okay, we're gonna move on.
Speaker 4: Here.
Speaker 1: Look at this.
Speaker 8: This is I want to get this correct here. Okay, this is Davis.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on.
Speaker 4: When happened to Radets I went to school with this, Randy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we've we've covered that before. Uh, what are my photogo here? It is no what are my photogo?
Speaker 4: This is getting worse.
Speaker 1: By the minute. We still can't hear you, Rick, so you can keep talking. But we're not gonna be able to hear you.
Speaker 4: Okay, this is go underneath the desk and try to fix it. There's one cable that's missing here.
Speaker 1: This is three. This is Dave.
Speaker 8: This we got another photo to get to pay attention Davis, Derek and Jeff in Langley.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 8: This was on their way to Victoria for the Lions touchdown Pacific game. Uh this Davis set the photo in because my buddy, my good pal, Marcus hooked them up with Donny Dolly hats.
Speaker 1: The three of these guys all people that you know.
Speaker 8: No, no, I I don't know these guys. I've never met these guys, but they oreheaded. We're gonna talk. We're gonna talk more with the Lions later on the show Victoria the big success touchdown Pacific. Nathan works back at the Bold. You'll talk about it more later in the eleven o'clock I'm.
Speaker 4: Trying to figure out what I'd rather have right now, Rick's microphone on or the air conditioning working air conditioning for sure, I think, are you kidding me?
Speaker 1: It's not even close?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Okay, So that is that is a.
Speaker 4: Thank you to more friends of yours.
Speaker 8: Davis, Derek and Jeff and Langley for supplying this photo as they headed over to the touchdown Pacific game.
Speaker 1: Now this is Marine and Bob. One final photo here Marine and Bob.
Speaker 8: Look at this. Uh they were in a river Marine and Bob, Marine and Bob. Yeah, what did I say?
Speaker 4: It sounds like you said Marine, Bob, like that was your name?
Speaker 1: Marine and Bob Rick, Keep keep trying.
Speaker 4: Uh, they were on a scream That's that's all. We'll hear you.
Speaker 1: They were on a river cruise in France. How about that?
Speaker 8: And they provide they still took their donning Dolly merchandise with them over the summer, the bucket hat, the Donni and Dolby firefighter T shirt as well.
Speaker 1: So thank you Marine and Bob from Victoria. They are royal viewers.
Speaker 4: Saying this program. Sorry are they on the same.
Speaker 8: I'm not sure exactly. They run a river cruise in France. That's what it says in the email. So thank you for providing this photo. We really appreciate it. And they were excited about our return.
Speaker 4: Uh just do hand signals?
Speaker 1: Can you do a sign language for us? And that's pretty good? Not bad, not bad?
Speaker 5: Okay?
Speaker 4: Any update on DIPCO.
Speaker 1: That's what I hope.
Speaker 8: Can you imagine a big trade happened or something right now and he can't say anything on the show. Okay, over the weekend, some some Now, let's get to some sports news very quickly. The white Caps they'll know draw Saturday night, BC Place, they finally returned to BC Place, felt like forever.
Speaker 1: They'll know draw now. Okay, I thought they played really well. You thought they played horribly.
Speaker 4: No, no, I didn't sing it before, still put words in my mouth. I said that it wasn't the most entertaining game.
Speaker 5: It wasn't.
Speaker 4: You are right, Ryan gold not that I have to have goals, but there wasn't a whole lot happening. I know. Derek agrees with Ryan.
Speaker 8: Gold Off an international duty finally Scotland, so he wasn't there.
Speaker 1: Brian White also out of the mix as well.
Speaker 8: Stuart Armstrong, who's the newest member of the white Caps, by the way, the Scottish player he's in this graphic here. He only played like six minutes or something. The white Caps deserved a victory. Ryan Raposa was really good. They did play well.
Speaker 1: There was moments two posts, especially late. They almost scored an extra time Tales win it.
Speaker 4: That part was good.
Speaker 8: So I give the Caps props again shorthanded nil nil. They're back in action this Saturday night at BC Place again as they take on Santa Now Rick the Earthquakes.
Speaker 1: No, he just can't do anything, that's the thing.
Speaker 8: Okay, one other soccer related know I want to get in quickly though over the weekend, and I want to bring this up because Taylor covered the last time this happened. For the first time since nineteen fifty seven, Canada beat the United States in American soil, in an American soil. It well, both technically in it. Their cleats go in the soil. It kind of counts, but it was It's on America.
Speaker 4: Were they digging tunnels?
Speaker 8: Jonathan David and Jacob Schaffelberg scored the two goals for Canada. But again we didn't talk about this because we were off Canada fourth place at the Copa America tournament. Now this friendly in the States, they beat the States. The United States has big problems in soccer, but we're not going to get into that. Jesse Marsha after the game, he kind of threw a shot to whose American said something about, you know, I don't. I wouldn't want to coach anyone else right now. I think that was a bit of a shot at the Americans. But also again the Canadians kind of rolling fourth place, decent showing at the COPA. Now this they're back in action tomorrow night in Arlington.
Speaker 4: Had to deal with Dronegate two, Yeah, which we didn't talk about at the Olympics, which what a disaster.
Speaker 1: That whole situation was.
Speaker 8: The women still, you know, they did their best, They did what they could at the Olympics, but that.
Speaker 4: Was just.
Speaker 8: Getting accused of well it definitely seemed like a program thing, not a coach thing, you know what I mean.
Speaker 1: I don't think it was one person.
Speaker 8: I think there was a lot of people allegedly involved in that. So anyway, good on Canada two to one, first time since nineteen fifty seven. Hopefully his good pal we showed it earlier. He had breakfast with him over the summer. Dollivo is good pal. Elliot Friedman going to join us for the first time of this new season from Las Vegas, hocking and in Canada.
Speaker 1: Inside of Elliott Friedman, He's up next.
Speaker 8: It's Donnie Dolly maybe with Rick next on the team on check.
Speaker 4: It is Monday, Rick, Mike is working now. By the way, folks, yes, it is Monday, and all of our guests today are brought to you by our friends at Bayssan Motors. We are back and so is the Baisson Motors Scholarship, bigger than ever with thirty three thousand dollars in scholarships awarded. Learn more at Bassanmotors dot com. Basant Motors dot com. Have we got Elliott Freedman? Okay, we'll have him in one second. Meanwhile, Rick, you have an update when it comes to the late John and his brother Matthew. The funeral going on today in Pennsylvania.
Speaker 5: Now, the funeral is going on today. And I remember, Don you called me the day this happened in the summer, and how shocked we were, and how bad of an event this is. And a person can't even go out and drive his bike and just on a leisurely drive with his brother and not come home. We were all devastated. The hockey world is turning out today for Johnny Gudrou's funeral, and his wife said at the funeral that she is expecting their third.
Speaker 4: Child as well.
Speaker 5: So she went on to talk about Sean Monaghan and Calgary. How Sean was absolutely a vital part of Johnny Goudrou's career in Calgary. To just pay homage to Sean Monahan, they were very close, but Donnie just a very sad and tragic event, very.
Speaker 4: Sad, and Sean had signed with Columbus in and why Johnny was there? So Johnny Goudro's wife announcing that she's pregnant. The same with with Matthew.
Speaker 5: His wife is pregnant, which just makes it more frustrating, heart maddening and heartbreaking and just very sad.
Speaker 4: Got Elliott, I'm still working on. Elliott Elliot from How Can It in Canada? Thirty two Thoughts Podcast? Kyle bocskas we understand, is going to be the co host of the thirty two Thoughts podcast, taking over from Jeff Merrick.
Speaker 5: Campbell River Native right here in your old stopping grounds, Campbell River. Donny got him apply to Campbell River, all right?
Speaker 4: Elliott Friedman joining us from Las Vegas, How Can It in Canada? Thirty two Thoughts Podcast? Elliott, thanks for doing this, sir, How are you my pleasure?
Speaker 10: I didn't get the zoom. It's all Ryan's fault.
Speaker 4: Yeah, what a shocks. But that's the least of our worries. Today. We had an entire segment where Rick didn't have his mic on. So this is this is nothing, Elliott. I hate, I hate to start this way, but we just talked about a heartbreaking story getting more heartbreaking. That's the fact Johnny Gudro's wife has announced that she's pregnant with their with their third child. Ell if you could put this, if you don't mind it too hockey terms, what will his legacy be when it comes to this, comes to the great game of hockey?
Speaker 10: You know, it's still really hard to think about. To be perfectly honest, Donnie, like he's still at various points you think that you're coming to grips with the fact that this has happened, but then something like this, like Merediths announcement comes and it just makes you shake your head and feel the pain even more.
Speaker 3: You know. I think that I think.
Speaker 10: The tributes I've received from other people, like I knew Johnny Gudreau, who was very friendly. We had a good relationship, but I wouldn't say I was particularly close with him as a lot of other people were. It's very clear he was a popular friend, and he was a popular teammate and in a lot of ways, I think the reason he appealed to people was he's kind of like not built as the ideal hockey player would be the fact that he isn't some big, strong monster that just overpowered people. And he was, you know, someone who wasn't the biggest, was pretty slight, but found a way to become one of the best players in the NHL through pure will and skill. And you know, there's there were a lot of good stories I heard from fans, Like one fan sent me a DM who just said that, you know, when Gudro showed up with the Flames, he was a guy who was was was not in a great spot in his life, and you know, one of the things he's every day he started looking forward. He loved Gudro, watching Goodro play. It didn't take long and you know, it kind of helped him at a really tough point in his life where he would look forward to Flames games and watching Gudro and then that brought him joy. And I think there's a lot of stories like that. Yeah, obviously had a lot of great friends in the NHL, from Kevin Ay's to Sean Mahtah and to just vote everybody. Erica Branson, who you guys know well. And you know, there was a great story I was told Donnie. You know earlier this summer, there's there's a young and nine born player in the States who was who was playing two on two with Gudro. And you know, this is a guy who's got a chance to be a player. He's a he's right now one of those high schools, which is high level hockey. He'll probably be playing for the national development team. And he was playing two on two and Gudrow was his teammate and Gudro kind of lifted his stick because he didn't think that this player would be able to find him with a pass where he was on the ice, and the player put it through and Gudro was surprised, but he recovered to score and he's Gudro walked over and skated over and said, you know, I didn't think you'd be able to get me with that pass. That's a great pass. And and you know someone else told me about the story. But the kid was just beaming that Johnny Gudrou, I'm just looking up his name. The kid was just beaming that Johnny Good would would know what would say to him, Wow, Like you have the skill to make that pass. I didn't necessarily think that you would be able to get it to me. And his name is Brayden Scuderi. He's a two thousand and nine born player. And I think that in addition to all the stories that we know and we can think of, there were a bunch of stories I got told from other people like that that just really showed the impact he had.
Speaker 4: I think you have the ability and it's rare to make people feel better about themselves. And God bless him and his family. Matthew, everybody tough. Turn Elliott, we'll take it. We haven't talked to you all summer. But fourteen million dollars a year for a Leon Drei Syttle in Edmonton. What does that say about where the Oilers and maybe the rest of the NHL think the salary cap is going well.
Speaker 10: I think the one thing you have to remember, Donn is if you take a look at a lot of the top players, like a lot of the top guys, and Drysel is the top guy, they're about fifteen to sixteen percent of the salary cap. And I think the dry Settles number comes in at fifteen point eight, so it's not although it looks high, and it's the highest number we have right now. If you take a look at where a lot of these contracts have been signed during their times, it's right there. The top players get between fifteen and sixteen percent of the salary cap, and Leon Dreisidel is a top player. Now, everybody here seems to be optimistic about where the cap is going. It went up five percent this year under the CBA. It's supposed to go up again five percent the next year and then we'll see, and people are very optimistic. They are very very optimistic.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 10: I mean, the only thing is in knock on Wood, you know, the Toronto Many Police when they did their all their contracts with Tavaris and Marna and Matthews. That was pre COVID, and you know, COVID obviously changed the dynamic and really shut them down. And you know, I think you're hoping, and I think we're all hoping. As a war world, there's nothing like that ever again, that does it. But as long as things continue to go as people are predicting and expecting, nobody will give me hard numbers like I've asked. There are hard number of predictions out there and nobody will give me those. But the one thing you see, Donnie, is that you know the CAP is lagging behind a bit right now because they had to pay back the owners from the from COVID. So I do think teams are very optimistic. I do think the agents and the and the and the players are very optimistic. Things appear to be very healthy. There's a new Canadian TV deal coming in two years, and I know the league is setting some pretty aggressive targets. So you know, if things keep going that way, I don't think it's going to be a problem.
Speaker 5: All right, Elliott, Let's focus on Vancouver. Thatcher Dempko. It's a number one story. It's been for weeks here, Elliott, what are you hearing on Dempco? When's he going to be ready? Cap? Preseason? Regular season?
Speaker 1: Give it to us?
Speaker 10: So, Rick, do you want me to send the share of the text you sent me before?
Speaker 5: So? No, I don't keep that private. Out keep it private?
Speaker 10: Okay, Yeah, I don't release text messages like that. You never have to worry. Look like, I think Demco in a lot of ways, it reminds me a lot of the playoffs last year, and that is that nobody is really sure. I think anybody who sits here right now and says I know what the exact timeline is is either a the doctor or B kidding everyone. I think that I think that we're still kind of uncertain now. The one thing that I do believe, I do believe the Canucks are not panicking that this is going to be half the season or threatens his season or anything like that. But I think there is an understanding that he may may not be ready for the start of the year. And I think one of the things that everybody is getting a handle on here is, you know, and I'm always really careful about you know. Somebody said to me, like, you're blaming Ian Clark for this. No, I'm not blaming Ian Clark for this, because I think I and Clark is a major is one of the best in the world of what he does, and he's one of the major reasons that Thatcher Demko has developed into who he is. But what I do think is the Canucks feel that Demko was working too hard and they don't want him on ice doing drills as much as and I think Demko kind of has been understood to agree with that that rest is something he's going to have to do a bit more like. One of the things that happened last year going into the playoffs was the Canucks told Demko, we need you to start twice before the playoffs or else we're just not sure we can count on you. So he rushed to get himself back, and I think everybody wonders if that contributed to the injury. Now, if you're the Canucks, can you blame them for saying that, No you can't. If your Demko, can you blame him for working as hard as he can and pushing himself to do that, No, you can't. So I do believe that in addition to the injury, there's also the plan of how do we work Demco that he gets all the work he does that he needs to do, he'd be a top goalie, continues to be as good as he can be, but also give him a break so he's not working as much as he was because I do think everybody here believes that workload was part of the issue. So I think they're not going to push him. I think the Canucks field they're good enough that they can start the year if they have to without them as if they have a good team and then but they don't appear worried Rick, that this is going to be a long term thing. Now, something I said on my podcast, I had some people upset that he's going to have to learn to play through this and that's a disaster. I don't necessarily believe that's the case, because I don't believe the injury is that serious, and I do think he can learn to play his way through it. But I think that's part of the issue here, is he's going to have to learn to deal with whatever this is and play in a way or work out through it in a way that he can strengthen the area around it. I think the knee, I guess, strengthen the area around it and and just make himself stronger around it. Like I have heard, this is not a devastating injury, Elliott.
Speaker 5: They still have that offer out to Lancan and do you what do you see? Do you see another goalie coming in for training cap I do.
Speaker 10: I do think that the Canucks would like that. Number One, it increases competition. Number two, Rick like it gives you a safety blanket, you know. I think with Lancan, and like, you know, I think one of the things you do when you're in his kind of situation is you kind of wait to see if something develops late. You know, is there like you know, like, is there another situation in the league that you think that maybe a goalie show up injured or something happens where you think you have a better opportunity or can sign a better deal. So I don't think Lancan is disinterested in the Canucks. I just think at this point in time it behooves him to wait as long as he can, or as long as he feel comfortable, to see what opportunities are out there. But I do think you're going to look to go out and get someone else, whether it's PTO or a contract.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 10: The other thing about this too is that and you know, you know, Jim Rutherford's been around a long time, so he'll figure out how to deal with this. But you're always careful too, if you bring in someone like who would need waivers, you try to structure your contract or make sure that if you have to put them through waivers, it's an opportune time where they're not going to be claimed. Like one of the things that Maple League did with Martin Jones last year was they put a bonus around the start of the season so people wouldn't want to pay that kind of a bonus. They just let him slide through on waivers and he played really well for Toronto last year. So that's one of the things that the Canucks will be looking at too, is, you know, do we if we really think we need someone and they might be a third goalie or you know, you just might, you have to structure things or prepare for things in a way that if you really need them, you don't lose them on.
Speaker 4: Waivers and very quickly and before that you go, you're you're in Vegas for people who don't know what's what's happening in Nevada for you.
Speaker 10: So, Donny, there's the NHL NHLPA Media Tour where one or in some cases like both Dry Sidle and McDavid are coming from Edmonton. Two players per team come and you know when you guys watch the when the fans out there watch the opens of games, and there's players skating and shooting the puck like they film that. So there's like a two parter of it. Year one is filming the openings for places like US and and ESPN and TNT, and the other is interviews with some of the some of the rights holders and others who are around. So you know, I'm out here doing some interviews with a bunch of players. You know, it's a good group. Quinn Hughes is representing the Canucks. I saw he met with the media today, so he's going to hop on a plane either tonight or tomorrow to come out here and see us. And basically it's one player per team, and it's it's one of my favorite times of the year because everyone's in a good mood and nobody hates us yet, so you know, I really, I really enjoy that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I hope you I didn't say this, but I hope you had a great summer. Back to work for you. Thank you, guys and us and Nellie. We can't thank you enough. You're back on board.
Speaker 10: Well, you know what, in case anyone's not aware that the fee that we do for this, we graciously donate to the Canucks for kids. And I'm happy to do that because you know, that's one of the things the Canucks do really well. So I'm happy to come on and get a little bit of Twitter hate if it means Canucks for Kids benefits from it, So it's all good.
Speaker 4: Whatever it takes. Elliet, thanks for doing this, appreciate it. We'll talk to you in a couple of weeks.
Speaker 10: All right, guys, take care speak to you there.
Speaker 4: Elliot Friedman one of my favorites. So I could end Canada thirty two Thoughts podcast. People talking about in the the ladies. Okay, turn land in box. Don't want me to mention Elliott's hair. I don't make hair jokes. There's a good reason why.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but Elliott, he's he's got here, but he doesn't use gel like jel is a very important un.
Speaker 4: Yeah, he doesn't use gel. You have stock in several cups.
Speaker 5: I just bought a new bottle of jail last night.
Speaker 4: Good. We'll talk about that in the next segment and and update the poll question. Donny Dell the team.
Speaker 9: On check Donnie and Dolly. The team is supported by Abelauctions dot c A closing your business where you can help.
Speaker 6: Waddling dog Pole question an update.
Speaker 5: It has to do with the Canucks.
Speaker 4: Visit one of Victoria's favorite pubs, A dog where you can enjoy twenty taps twenty screens. You're home for the Canucks in UFC com Sit and stay at the dog today.
Speaker 5: Rick, All right, there we go the Ryan get her up the waddling Dog. Pop poll question, is that your Dempko's durability the Canucks number one concern heading into the season. A whopping ninety percent say yes, almost a thousand votes. And you just heard Elliott Freeman. There was concern in the organization that Dempko was being worked too hard. And you know, people are going to take their shots at Ian Clark and say that's Ian Clark, but it's a group effort. Clark's not the only guy. There's trainers, there's doctors. There's a whole slew of them that come up with decisions on what to do with the player. But the Canucks, Elliott says, we're concerned Dempko was working too hard. From here on in, he's going to have to get used to more rest and that's the bottom line.
Speaker 4: In the meantime, they've got Uri Petera signed for two years. It's a two way deal. And for people didn't see the top of the show going after or pursuing Kevin Lankin and maybe anti Ranta. Those are two.
Speaker 5: They've got an offer oute to Lank and then he hasn't accepted. It's under a million dollars and he won't accept it. Bot Bot Donnie. Uh, these guys that are UFAs. Now there's a pressure point coming up training camp. Do you accept the low ball offer or do you go PTA PTO so pta pt o? So what do you do? There's a pressure point coming up and it's called training camp. These guys got to make a decision. They might go back Anti Rantom might say I got nothing else. Maybe I take the Canucks PTO offer. He doesn't want that right now.
Speaker 4: But things change, pastime, and then we'll talk some bcllions.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, look at this. Uh look it for a gift for a sports fan. How about an addition to your man cave pastime sports a passive visit check out the largest selection of sports Member Biley autographed items, trading cards and collectible games in Western Canada is in one of four locations. You got Langley, Metrotown, Guilford Mall, the New Openly the newly open location inside Capitalana Mall Open North the first day back, first day. This is why you don't take nine months.
Speaker 4: So I've least your MIC's on.
Speaker 5: Yeah, at least the mics on. If you can't visit them in store, you can't shop their massive collection online at pasttime Sports Dot you and follow them on Facebook and x for the latest info on card drops and in store signings, laptop or.
Speaker 1: So, we don't have we've we've changed in front of the desk, I say.
Speaker 5: Now, we've got a lot of idea asks.
Speaker 1: In front of the desk.
Speaker 8: Now, some of which are from Pastime Sports, including the.
Speaker 1: Card right there, Thattor Demko. That's the Thatcher Demico Fiji card.
Speaker 4: It's like where's Waldo.
Speaker 1: It's right in between the mug and the hat. Yeah, but it doesn't stand out.
Speaker 5: Well, what do you want some glowing you know the cards should stand out color.
Speaker 8: Well I can't. Anyway, that's the Thatcher Demico Fiji card.
Speaker 12: We've talked about these before because they're the special cards that you could scan with your phone and they'll provide you with Thatcher Demco highlights and hey, I mean, who knows what his health they might be all the highlights we have of Thatcher Demko and it canuctuniform.
Speaker 1: You never know.
Speaker 8: So anyway, that's and I should say some of the other items, like I say in front of the laptop or in front of the desk story are from Pastime Sports. I went by the Langley location. There's it's like a museum in there. It's crazy how much stuff is there. So head to Pastime in any of the four locations.
Speaker 4: I'm getting some heat because people just assume it's me because it's lacrosse. Because of the Cable Vision jersey. What are you gonna keep in front of our desk? Well, guys from Salmon Bellies, people from the North Shore and you know the hated Burnaby Cablevision back in the day. First of all, I love those jerseys and I played Burnaby Minor Norman Minor. But my brother, my late brother Dave, played for Burnaby Cablevision, so a tribute to him. And you know what, I feel so bad. I can't remember the name of the gentleman who gave me that trew. It's not my brothers, but it is the team he played for.
Speaker 8: So it's not either of yours. Act no, because I don't think it's been washed like it smells.
Speaker 1: So I don't know how long we can have.
Speaker 5: So you had nine weeks off and we didn't wash it.
Speaker 1: Well, I don't want it because it's like a relic. Look at it. I don't want it to.
Speaker 4: Can you take it home? Do you think it would fall apart?
Speaker 1: If that's what I'm worried about? Yeah, washing shau it's so old.
Speaker 4: Okay, Well, regardless, it means something to me.
Speaker 1: And a lot of people. I'm happy to have it on the desk.
Speaker 5: But the Salmon Bellies logo is the best logo.
Speaker 1: It's really good.
Speaker 5: And the color scheme for the salmon Bellies. I'm not just here. You're from New West Park News guy, all those guys.
Speaker 4: Let's let's say this and you you had your say, but let me say this that if people want to send us items, we'll put them on the front desk.
Speaker 8: Okay, we have to have some kind of cap like I don't want you know now you throw to God knows what we're going to get in the mail. Well, we want stuff to get in the.
Speaker 4: Mail, and like we want more color here the salmon bellies Jersey. Wow, well maybe not.
Speaker 1: Speaking of stinky, that's a good point.
Speaker 4: The cable vision Jersey doesn't smell. I'm what do you put it up to your nose.
Speaker 8: I had it in my man cave for nine weeks, and my man cave does not stop it.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm just saying to stop it.
Speaker 4: Okay, moving on here, and I you know, people can find out our address and maybe send us some bubble heads or souvenirs whatever. Again, do you think it's a mistake.
Speaker 1: We need a person, somebody can somebody needs to intern.
Speaker 4: Nothing, nothing that would get us in trouble.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 4: You wanted to talk about the BC Lions. They play Toronto at BC Place on Friday.
Speaker 5: Okay, First of all, the Lions got the attention of a lot of people when Nathan Rooke came back. But I want to say somethingbout Vernon Adams. This guy took a pay cut before the season dawned. He was in our studio. I remember he said, I took a pay cut so the Canucks or so the Lions could get some guys under the salary cap, and he did the team of favor. I just want to say, this guy's a pretty good guy. Nathan Wore comes in, knocks him Automa the starting job. They got the same agent, they're represented by the same agents. I mean, imagine being the agent getting Nathan Rourke out of there into British Columbia, which obviously is going to push the Vernon Adams to the side. I just want to give a shout out to Vernon Adams. I think he's been a pretty dead class, first class pretty and the Lions made a decision on the day they signed Nathan Rourke they were not going to get rid of Vernon. Do I expect Vernon to be traded in the off season, Yeah, I do, but right now because Nathan's going to be making seven hundred and fifty eight hundred thousand next year, Donny, it's the right thing to do. Get him to a team where he can be the starter. But this guy. You talked about professional athletes losing their jobs and sulking and crying and bitching and moaning and whining. This guy didn't do that. I just want to give him a shot.
Speaker 4: I haven't spent a lot of time with him, but it's very clear that he's really a smart guy. Yeah, and Vernon's been around long enough that he knows that if he bitches and moans and wines, that might turn off something other people who might have a job waiting for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's true.
Speaker 4: Right, that's a good point, and the Lions have to keep him around there hosting the Gray Cup as an insurance policy in case something happens. He realized to Nathan, and he also wanted to give them hats off for what happened to Victoria, which we talked about earlier.
Speaker 5: Victoria. I thought Victoria did a super job. They re look at this. Is that just visually, don When I watched on TSN, they had eighteen cameras there by the way. They took it seriously, this game that TSN did, But just visually, it's just so nice, and you said it, it was so nice to watch it on TV. I thought Victoria did a just a great event, bang up job. Great job by Victoria the Lions, and that was the game. Nathan finally, you know, became the old Nathan that we know. So I just thought lots of fun, Yeah, lots of fun. And there's more coming, folks, because the World Cup of Soccer is going to kick the Lions out of BC place in the future, so they're gonna have to go somewhere else. So it's going to be interesting to see where they pick.
Speaker 4: We're good, right, DTMZ Next Donnie Della the team on Check. Hey everyone, it's Donnie and Dolly and we're looking to partner with your company.
Speaker 5: We have several packages and price points to fit your budget. Has spread the word about your company on the show, in our podcast and on social media.
Speaker 4: We'd love to get involved with your company. Called two five oh eight eight oh twenty two eighty two or email advertise at Checkmedia dot ca.
Speaker 5: It's eleven thirty four on a Monday morning. It is now time for d TMZ, brought to you by the world famous Whisler Golf Club. Go see big Al out there. Great track, great track.
Speaker 4: DTMZ brought to you by the Arnold Palmer Design Whistler Golf Club and hats off to them again for hopping back on board. Reminding golfers that exceptional conditions continue right through to Thanksgiving weekend. And if you have a group of twelve or more, you the organizer play for free. Tell us about your group at Whistlergolf dot com. Forward slash groups like you said hello to big Al out there.
Speaker 5: Kendrick Lamar, can you move your laptop.
Speaker 1: A little.
Speaker 4: This way? Which way?
Speaker 1: Like away from the no.
Speaker 4: I can't see anything here? How is our worst show. Rick first, Yeah, Okay, now it's going to fall off the edge. Can I get back to reading this? Kendrick lamar rickh oh yeah yeah. Kendrick Lamar Well headlined the Super Bowl halftime show February ninth in New Orleans, Louisiana. The NFL, I don't know why I went into Howard Cosell there. The NFL, Apple Music and Rock Nation made the announcement Sunday. Lamar the rap megastar. He's won seventeen GRAMMYSCT seventeen. He says he's looking forward to bringing hip hop to the NFL's championship game. Have we've already seen hip hop?
Speaker 5: Two years ago? Three years ago?
Speaker 4: Where he performed in twenty twenty two as a guest artist, Remember he was with Doctor Dre and snoopid Eminem fifty. He's won, as I mentioned, seventeen Grammy Awards, and in twenty eighteen, became the first non classical, non jazz as musician to win a Pulitzer Prize.
Speaker 5: Wow.
Speaker 4: His most recent album, Mister Morale and the Big Steppers, was released in May twenty twenty. It's a big Name May twenty twenty two earlier, this year, Super Bowl fifty eight, that halftime show I didn't know this with Usher became the most watched halftime performance of all time and collected three Emmy nominations. Put that in your pipe and smoke it, Kendrick Lamar. Now, my knowledge of his work is pretty limited. In fact, it's zero. But this is a big, big name. This just in I say this all the time, old guy from Canada. I'm not the target audience.
Speaker 5: I don't know this guy. I don't know his music. I don't know any of the songs. I'm not that type of guy that wrap stuff. Why can't I wish you were? No, Why can't they bring in Bruce Springsteen, John Cougar, AC DC, stuff like that. Then it gets me excited. I'm not gonna stay. I'm not going to watch the halftime show. There's not a chance.
Speaker 4: But the NFL's figured it out, and they did this a long time ago. Where you know the hardcores, you know the football fans, young kid that might like the what the kids call rock and roll, they're going to watch the game anyway. This way you get people who might be at a Super Bowl party, might not be watching the game, but they'll watch the halftime show and up their audience. It's quite brilliant. I agree with you. I'd rather see those acts too. But you know what other time Stringsteen did a game, Oh.
Speaker 5: Bruce would be great, you know. I mean, but these guys are trying to get the young audience, Johnny, They're not trying to get guys like you and I.
Speaker 4: There you go. How are we doing? I got to keep asking you that because it's our first show back Very Rhythm nine weeks or as I said earlier, nine months, it seemed like it. Okay, September ninth birthdays, we have nine birthdays. The line is set at six by Sharp Elbows Dmitri and his Reptile Funhouse in Troutdale, Oregon. Sharp Sharp Elbows Dmitri and his Reptile fun House. Yes, and trout Oregon.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 8: If anybody wants to do up some artwork for that to Dimitri, whether Pete and Calgary or Island Joe, who we haven't.
Speaker 1: Heard from in a while, please send it in.
Speaker 4: Did you ever get those guys a package of merchandise?
Speaker 1: Both of them?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Hats, but you got those guys in Victoria Hat Island Joe is just I don't know something was said. It made him mad.
Speaker 4: I think has he been negotiating with the higher maybe? Maybe?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 4: Okay. September ninth, Rock and roll Canadian singer songwriter from North Burnaby, winner of five Grammy's fifteen Genros. Part owner of the Vancouver Giants.
Speaker 5: Michael Buble for Devils.
Speaker 4: Devil's defenseman, drafted fourth overall by New Jersey in twenty twenty one. His brothers Quinn and Jack. I gotta have a first name, look you. Swedish defenseman Drafted thirteenth overall by the Canucks in ninety four. He spent eleven solid seasons. Thank yeah. Longtime Coyotes defenseman from Boston, second to Phil Kessel on the NHL's all time list of consecutive games played. Also played for the Rangers, Panthers, and Flyers. American actor and comedian former SNL cast member, played the title roles in Billy Madison and Happy Late American businessman born in eighteen ninety in Indiana. Founder of Kentucky Fried Chick.
Speaker 1: Colonel Senta.
Speaker 4: There you go, Colonel Harland Sanders, see you. You were looking at me like eighteen ninety, who was it? And then boom, you got it?
Speaker 1: He was a childhood friend of yours, Bryan. The old jokes.
Speaker 4: You know you tried one earlier.
Speaker 1: It didn't work.
Speaker 4: Maybe move on from those.
Speaker 6: All right?
Speaker 4: Good looking go te though.
Speaker 8: CANFC once every like three months six months is really good?
Speaker 5: The cole saw the cole saw is good, Cole slaw or whatever. Get that. That stuff's good. I like that.
Speaker 4: Uh you like it? You just don't know what it is. Uh At KFC, I don't do chicken with the bones in.
Speaker 1: I don't so you prefer chicken strips?
Speaker 8: Yeah, popcorn chicken is one of the greatest inventions of all time.
Speaker 4: English actors starred in Four Weddings at a Funeral. Nodding Hill played the Prime Minister.
Speaker 1: Do you grant?
Speaker 4: Yes? Divine Brown was my next clue, remember that right? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Absolutely?
Speaker 4: Actor born in Kansas played Cam Tucker on Modern Family.
Speaker 8: Oh hold on here e s Yeah, it's Stone Street, Eric stern Street, Massive Kansas City Chiefs.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, he knew Colonel Sanders lat American singer songwriter. He's born in Kansas. It's Kansas, not Kentucky, same area, is it?
Speaker 1: Just move on?
Speaker 4: Later American singer songwriter he co wrote and sang Rick This is in your neighborhood, sitting on the dock of the bay. Oh, it's ready, there you go?
Speaker 5: Are you kidding me? What a great song it really is.
Speaker 1: You're gonna call him a good guy for a second.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I don't know otis reading well enough to call him.
Speaker 4: A good guy?
Speaker 1: What's next?
Speaker 4: Is it just me? It's coming up next?
Speaker 5: You are just well our first.
Speaker 4: I want to go through this as the week goes on. At some point during this week, I gonna talk about it wasn't just about Europe.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yes, a lot going on, Taylor, Oh, yes, yes, yes, yes, I'll.
Speaker 4: Give you the ins and outs. Michael Bubley forty nine years old, and he's gonna play us out our friend, Yeah, friend of the show. Great guy and from that and I love this his version of this, this tune doesn't.
Speaker 1: Know enough love? What this does not get enough enough love?
Speaker 5: Yeah? I think how all you yet?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Spicy Margarita? Yeah yeah. From the year one, two thousand and one, the debut album Baba Loo and the Spider Man two soundtrack. This is Michael and the theme from Spider Man on.
Speaker 5: Check catching thieves just like flies.
Speaker 4: On a BC Monday morning. Is it just me It's next, Spider Man.
Speaker 1: Spider Man.
Speaker 4: The Wabbling Dog Pub has been owned and operated locally since nineteen ninety one and has since built its reputation as one of Victoria's favorite watering holes. With twenty TVs, twenty local and domestic taps, and over two hundred seats, the Wabbling Dog has something for everyone, including every Canucks game, UFC pay per views, and an unbeatable daily happy hour from four to six. The Dog is your one stop shop, with its attached cold beer and wine store offering up hundreds of local and imported products, as well as an extensive inventory of Donnie and Dolly merchandise. Their award winning hotel offers dog friendly hotel rooms that are appointed with antique style furnishings and modern amenities, and only ten is from the airport and ferry terminal. There are countless reasons to come, sit and stay at the Waddling Dog. All right, show is winding down, Tom for Is it just me? Rick? What you got?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 5: Is it just me? I know it's a long summer. But Selov's on that series to Smith was hurt as well. They never got back into Smith also melted down after the game in Minnesota, Orange in Evan. But the Canucks made a mistake not resigning to Smith Orange in Evan, because now they're right in the same spot don going after Link and then offering him a contract if they would have just signed a Casey to Smith, they went at him just before the July first, did not make a very good offer and it didn't get done. The fact they went after to Smith before July first tells me they wanted him back, but they don't want to pay a ton of money for the backup position.
Speaker 4: But Rick was and the timing as such that the urgency wasn't there when it comes to Demko's health right, not at that time, at the time they thought he was recovering. Well, yep, again, we're gonna find out more when the training camp physicals come.
Speaker 5: That's the big one for me, is on day one.
Speaker 4: But there's more urgency now than there was initially.
Speaker 5: Yeah, and they're still after Lanking and don't I'm telling you right now, the offers out there.
Speaker 4: For so a chance to be a lot of people have mentioned this and the Ladies, okay, turing Langley in Bucks. Too many goalies.
Speaker 5: Maybe if they signed another one, you you know they're gonna have three in Absburg, and they already got a young draft pick that's supposed to play in the East Coast Hockey League, So it's it's gonna get crowded.
Speaker 4: Garth and Ladder.
Speaker 5: Is it just me?
Speaker 4: Or is Donnie bang on about euro shaming? People don't realize for people our age, it took a train trip across Canada and then a steamship across the Atlantic. Rick should be shamed for liking Toronto so much.
Speaker 1: Garth.
Speaker 5: I'm not that old, but I've been to Toronto back to back summers. I'm not gonna lie.
Speaker 4: And then you've got that blue In fact, you've got Blue Jays jersey Jay's golf shirt. I think there's something here, right.
Speaker 5: I like that Blue Jays because growing up in the eighties that that's.
Speaker 4: You had a leaf's hat on when I golf with you last time. And no, anyways, I'm starting to like Toronto. I'm not gonna lie to you.
Speaker 11: Go.
Speaker 5: Dempko's durability is definitely a concern, so it's an imperative that they can land a backup goalie. And again don so, let's say a Christmas time demp goes out and we don't want this to happen. But he's out four to five weeks? Are you are you? Are you telling me that your remember Spencer Martin the seven hundred and fifty grand? Yeah it did more got so do you want to pay another backup eight hundred grand? And then you're gonna you're gonna cry because he's not a solid backup like Casey the Smith was.
Speaker 4: Is it just me from Phil? But why an't we gonna discuss the color of the seats at Rogers Arena? Do we have a seat update? And I believe things aren't progressing like they should be.
Speaker 1: People tell me I'm too negative. I stop. Oh yeah, I'll say is.
Speaker 8: I was at Kings of Leon a couple of weeks ago, and those crap seats are still sitting there.
Speaker 1: Where are pushing thirty years?
Speaker 8: Same seats, season ticket ollers getting jacked up twenty percent.
Speaker 4: But they've improved three or four of them, haven't they.
Speaker 8: They've improved five rowers where Francesco and all his rich buddies can sit.
Speaker 1: Yeah, those are taking care of them, no problem.
Speaker 5: Here's my problem with you. First of all, you don't go to Kanuk games. That's one. Two Donnie and I have been watching the Canucks since nineteen seventy. We're trying to we want to see a Stanley Cup, you know, and your the biggest complaint is the seats.
Speaker 8: Because they're literally literally falling apart my kings of Leon seat.
Speaker 1: You watch the games from home, but I go to enough concerts.
Speaker 8: I'm in that building way more than you are. It's it's back and plus again, when you're going to season ticket on going, we would like twenty percent more of your money. The season ticket on will goes. Okay, what am I getting under that? One of the things they were told is brand new seats in that building.
Speaker 5: But you're not a season ticket older and you don't go to the game, so you you're complaining more than the season ticket older.
Speaker 1: But you should care about this season ticket on. Oh, I care about the people.
Speaker 5: You do not stop it?
Speaker 4: Well, you see the problem is and we've talked about this before, is it Rick and I come from the be happy with the wooden bench?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and yes.
Speaker 8: Time I have to explain to you too that your tickets are three dollars and seventy five cents. When you got doing that, the Leaf's tickets, it's it's I think the cheapest ticket to go see the leafs canocks in your seat, it's like three fifty bucks.
Speaker 4: No here, oh here here the leaf seats Like.
Speaker 8: Tickets have never been more expensive, and they want you to sit on these things that are thirty years old.
Speaker 1: You've had millions of people go through the arena. It's gross.
Speaker 4: It's to me, it's there are some aspect of your argument. I agree.
Speaker 5: Respect Yeah, get it.
Speaker 4: Okay, it's just stopping. Okay, you know what you're off today as well. Okay, but I'm there to see the sporting event or the content, you know.
Speaker 6: That's what I think.
Speaker 5: Hey, and these people that went to watch the lines in Victoria, did you see one tweet if anybody in Victoria complaining about the seats? You know what, you're the only guy. You're the only guy I know that complains about the seats.
Speaker 4: We gotta we got we gotta move on. I'm sure we'll have this argument tomorrow in the day and the day after the after Empire Statedium, update the pull question and wrap up the show next. Donnie Delly, the team on check Able Auctions, specializes in helping British Columbia based business owners close their business and sell their assets in a timely, orderly manner.
Speaker 5: Online events for everything from machine shop and manufacturing auctions to industrial equipment, retail inventories, or any other type of business assets. Able Auctions can help.
Speaker 4: For a free confidential consultation on getting your business assets sold. Please email sales at able Auctions dot ca. A that's sales at a b l A Auctions dot ca. Let's wrap a up at least the TV portion of the Waddling Dog poll question, Rick had asked they do with the Canucks who are out at Northview today for the annual Jake Milford Turner.
Speaker 5: The Jake Milford Golf tournament signifies the season is not far away. Our Waddling Dog pop pole question, is that your Dempko's durability the Canucks number one concern heading into the season. One thousand votes and yeah, a lot of people are concerned with Dempko. There's no question about it. In ninety percent say yes. Uh. Training camp is as you mentioned around the corner. Day one. We'll see how active he is. We'll see if he's with the the main goalies or he's you know, before the goalies. Other goalies get on the ice.
Speaker 4: We'll find out a cover ninth versus Calgary ad Rodgers Arena. That's the regular season opener.
Speaker 5: And we'll find just around the month from today. A month from today. Just I just figured that out hockey season is upon us. You've got some pictures I got for first, my buddy Valen Richmond wishing my wife Nikki a very happy wedding anniversary. No, I'm reading the no, no, let me redo this. Valen Richmond is wishing his wife Nikki a very happy wedding anniversary, and he's very happy that we're doing it on awesome congrats, So they're you a good guy.
Speaker 4: Just absolutely, you got to read first. You gotta read first. Okay, pictures, Okay, where we're going?
Speaker 5: Right? All right?
Speaker 1: Well, oh look at this?
Speaker 5: Look at this. This is cam at the Lions game in Calgary in July.
Speaker 4: Did the whole province go to that game?
Speaker 5: So there's cal looking great? Donnie and Dolly hat the bucket hat in.
Speaker 1: Not the Victoria again.
Speaker 5: Well that's the one they lost by Donnie one point that started their five game losing Skit is that game in Calgary? Yeah, but cast cam thinking of us in Calgary.
Speaker 1: Where we're going on We're I don't have the name.
Speaker 5: You go to the bar. I got it. I got it this one first. Yeah, this guy, I like him. I looked grumpy, but the shirt arrived. I went to get a few hot dog tweets yesterday and some guys say, hey, I love your shirt. He's a big pale river c HQB. Remember Donny the radio station in I never worked there, I'm sure I did. I worked not work there, Oh my goodness, right off a little shack right off the ferry. And it was the smallest radio station you've ever been. Too dark, But I worked there at APPS. What's his name? I can't remember.
Speaker 4: It's not there.
Speaker 5: No, he didn't put his name there. You know what.
Speaker 4: You've got it right.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 5: No, I had the Name's not there. But a great picture.
Speaker 4: Thanks a lot. Okay, we'll be better tomorrow. We promise nine weeks off and it shows all right, who's doing us tomorrow? Craig but is going to be with us tomorrow? And Ian Furness among other items. Thanks so much for tuning in, folks on behalf of Ryan Derek Rick. Everybody here at O boy in Shack. I'm done and you have to date in the world of sports.
Speaker 2: Thanks for listening to the Donnie and Dolly Podcast. Be sure to follow us on Twitter at Donnie and Dollie for all the latest show content.