Speaker 1: Ripped off news you need advice when you don't help them, come running just as fast as we can. Show Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 3: This is the Troubleshooter Show now, Tom Martinez.
Speaker 4: Welcome, Welcome, my friends to the only show off. It's kind' here to solve problems, answer your questions, take complaints. Our goal in life, my goodness, make your life a little bit better if you've been ripped off, maybe a bad contractor out there, maybe a bad landlord.
Speaker 5: Man, we're starting to.
Speaker 4: Get a lot of calls, you know, COVID the landlords really took it in the shorts, if you will, and now, uh it's different. I mean now, if you don't pay, you get kicked out like it's supposed to be. But if your furnace isn't working or you've got some kind of scum lord, that's a whole different story.
Speaker 5: We love helping with that studio with me.
Speaker 4: Kevin Calkin shared an auto tech Kevin, how are you doing, man?
Speaker 6: I'm doing great, doing great, stay and warm house.
Speaker 4: Of week going over at the shop. Is it busy slowed? The cold weather's going to be great.
Speaker 6: For the weather's really gonna help it it's a twainer. You know, we're just recovering. The holidays slowed everything way way down. Oh my god, they did so picking up.
Speaker 4: We're going into restaurants and stuff that Suzanne and I frequent a lot, and they're just empty right now.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's really crazy everything is, but it's super nice. Oh it is nice.
Speaker 4: Hey, I'm trying to get Suzanne to start opening the show occasionally.
Speaker 5: What do you think about that? Kevin?
Speaker 6: Well, we were talking about that. I don't know if I could do it either. Why Well, I could sit chat with anybody, but to sit I don't know how you guys talk for four hours.
Speaker 5: Well yeah, people don't know how I shut up for ten minutes. Like Marcus Well.
Speaker 4: It's kind of funny because Mark, the first time I was thrown into it, I just kind of, you know, you emulate what you heard, and back in the time, it was I listened to Peter Boyles. Growing up, I listened to this thing called talk Net. Hey, Shannon, you've been around forever. Do you remember talk Net? It had Bruce something and then Sally Jesse Rafael I believe.
Speaker 5: Was Yeah, that's going way back.
Speaker 4: So growing up I listened to those guys, I was probably the only kid. Everybody else was listening to Gi Joe, But I listened to talk radio when I met Suzanne.
Speaker 5: That's all I listened to. And you're a talker, Mark, I'm not a talker. Yeah, but it's kind of weird. Do you sit down with your sister?
Speaker 4: My god, you'll talk for four hoursied? Well, maybe so, but I'd hate the if you broadcasted that, that would be interesting.
Speaker 5: That would be like my sister call me on the show. Can you imagine that? What a show?
Speaker 6: That would be?
Speaker 4: All right, I'll always tell you when we got lines open, but three oh three seven one, three eight two five five we do have lines open right now, and Tommy's going to join us pretty soon. He had to take a phone call to last second. So that's a deputy doc with us. Like I said, Ed Sheridan, Auto Tech. Isn't Jeff coming in?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 5: I just run a couple of minutes late.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I think you should open up.
Speaker 5: I can try one of these days.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we're gonna have I think John Fuller's gonna be in for one hour next week.
Speaker 6: He's gonna plan on coming in.
Speaker 5: Yeah, come in and sit with him. That'll be good. And then I don't know. It's not that I don't know.
Speaker 4: I mean, you just talk. What else do you do? I'm just talking right now.
Speaker 6: I'd love to do.
Speaker 4: You got to watch this, so you got to give the number out three O three seven one three A two five five. See how I pushed the seven three oh three seven one three a two five five. I remember Howard Stern would used to what was that station he was on where he would go, uh w NBC. They'd make him say that, and he drove him nuts.
Speaker 6: Did you ever work with the script so you can remember phone numbers and different stuff?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 5: What do you mean a script?
Speaker 6: You mean for like commercials, like notes on the side. So if you're gonna give the the you know, you don't give your home phone number out or something. No number.
Speaker 4: Now, the one that sticks with to me three oh three Martino, so easy. Oh yeah, But three O three seven one three a two five five. And when I was doing KOA twenty years ago, it was three oh three seven to one three. Hold on, it's three eighty five hundred, is that right? Three oh three seven one three eighty five hundred eighty five eighty five In the News might be eighty five hundred. I forget one of them's like KOA News, But no, I never did. There was dayszo where I would go from that studio over to here.
Speaker 6: What's that mean? You can't remember where you're at and which.
Speaker 5: A lot's changed here? If you go into the KOA studio, it's like being in Trump Tower where we're we're in Motel.
Speaker 4: Six over here. So there's a little bit of difference in it. I mean, there really is. I'm looking so forward Kevin to flying out Sunday to the inauguration.
Speaker 6: It's gonna be wild.
Speaker 5: It's gonna be so funny.
Speaker 6: I mean, people are at the inaugura, any idea.
Speaker 4: I can tell you that it's gonna be the biggest, best, most best, biggest ever, more people than ever, huge, great, and even better than great.
Speaker 7: Twenty thousand people are gonna get frost bite.
Speaker 4: If Biden had a million, Trump's gonna have eight million.
Speaker 5: Hey, Mark, did you hear the latest moved indoors?
Speaker 2: Yes?
Speaker 5: I don't know what tell I think you know what that sounds like to me?
Speaker 4: That sounds like to me, I got to get up at four am instead of five am to get here.
Speaker 5: Yep, I mean, it really does. Would I would bank?
Speaker 4: On three thirty, I emailed uh, or I texted the guy I'm going with, Tracy uh He got Mike and myself tickets, So Mike and.
Speaker 5: I are flying out. Susan just wouldn't even go, would you know? Too many people for me. She wouldn't like it. Concert.
Speaker 8: That's fine, but I went to that Trump rally out at the Gay Lord back in October.
Speaker 6: That's tough spinning around that long.
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's a lot. Tell me he's not like a rock star coming out too, he really is. It's a it's a show. It is a show.
Speaker 4: Kevin, what's your when you're here on car Day three O three seven one three two five five?
Speaker 5: What are your favorite calls to take? Honestly?
Speaker 8: Like?
Speaker 6: Are they?
Speaker 5: Do you? Do you like the calls.
Speaker 4: Where more or less someone maybe bought a car from somebody or a dealership that really sucked. Or do you like more of the hey, you know when I turned the key? It makes this sound.
Speaker 6: Well either way. I also I like helping people too, So I mean, I if somebody's in a jam with a repair, or they feel like they're not being treated fairly, they just want a second opinion. That's I love giving second opinions.
Speaker 4: So I've got one I'm trying to figure out how to handle. I talked to a part owner yesterday.
Speaker 5: Is that the Kia one? Yeah, kias rap a ho Kia.
Speaker 4: He was a really nice guy, seemed he told me he was going to look into it and get back to me. But we got two different stories. So story one is from the caller. The caller says, this I brought in my twenty thirteen Kiev. I think it's a Forte or something and it needs a transmission.
Speaker 5: So they brought it in.
Speaker 4: I had to pay fifteen hundred bucks for them to order the transmission, kind of down payment, and the transmission came in.
Speaker 5: They put it in and it didn't work.
Speaker 4: They said, there's also a problem with the PCU ECU TCM.
Speaker 5: There's also a problem with a computer.
Speaker 4: So they sent him a text apparently, and it says, okay, you need a computer, and he says, okay, I guess.
Speaker 5: So he was upset at this point.
Speaker 4: They sold him a transmission and now that he didn't need and now they're going to be selling this but whatever for the time being. So they get that in and it doesn't work.
Speaker 6: Oops.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so now we have you know, strike too. So I end up taking his call and I meet him after the show.
Speaker 5: I think it was on a Friday. I remember, oh, you were here probably, yeah, of course.
Speaker 4: So I go down to a wrap hokey and I meet the guy and I talked to the sales manager or not sales manager, the service writers. So I'm talking to his service writer and he's like, well, we put a transmission in and it did need it, but it still needed something else, and so we sold him this. They said, wait a minute, but now neither of them are working. So what are you going to do next? So he tells me face to face. I'm right there at the counter. He tells me this. He goes, we're putting in a ticket with Kia, and we're kind of stuck on it. We're putting a I think they called an engineering ticket, and we're putting that in, and then he shows it to me on the guy's work order. Here's his ticket. We're waiting for them to get back. So, like I mean, a long period of time goes by. Meantime, this guy hasn't had his car for probably six weeks two months at this point so he gets a call and they say, well, that first transmission we put in wasn't good, so we ended up putting ordering in a different rebuilt and putting that in and that one works. So the car is ready to go. You can come get it. But the problem was on the ticket. They still had the TCM, which they shouldn't have wish that I don't think was needed. I'm going, why would you charge him for this? So they charged him thirteen hundred bucks for that. Originally the transmission installed was thirty two hundred, you know, plus tax shop supplies, so it's like thirty five hundred. But his bill now is like forty five hundred because of this TCM in two months three months. So it's been three months now. So I finally get through to the right people, and honestly, the service manager over at a rap ho Key, I left multiple messages, not one callback. So I pulled out to Big Guns. I've been to the Rockies game and literally sat next to Doug Dealan. Doug owns it, and then he brings in managing partners that own a piece of it. And that's the guy that called me yesterday. I'm not gonna bug Doug over something kind of silly like this. All I want is to understand why they're charging for this. So this guy tells me yesterday and I don't know which is true, but he tells me. The way those events went down are different than what the guy's telling you. So after this break, I'm going to tell you what the the operating partner of a rap ho key you had to say.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content, wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. I pulled a Martino. I just actually opened the show for the last twenty seconds, but no one heard me. Three oh three seven one three eight two five five. Any questions you have anything you want to talk about we'd love to hear from you. It's Friday here at the Troubleshooter show three oh three Martino three three seven, three eight two five five. I want to finish up my story on this Kevin. And so after this guy drops it off three months.
Speaker 5: Later he picks it up.
Speaker 4: It appears as if they're charging him for a computer he doesn't know. So I finally get in touch with somebody, no offense to the operations of that store.
Speaker 5: I was very glad to hear from the managing partner.
Speaker 4: But my god, when you leave that many messages and we're not on the air, so folks don't think we're calling up on the air going come on, you know, I'm just leaving.
Speaker 5: Hey, I'm trying to help this guy out. Can you give me a callback?
Speaker 4: So I understand this, And remember I was literally there, literally there in front of the service writer when the service writer was telling these was telling this guy he needed the computer, and they put it in and it still doesn't work, and they were going to put a ticket down. So ultimately, yesterday I talked to the managing partner. Here's what he tells me. He says, well, my understanding of it is this, we put in the transmission and his other one he did need a transmission, but we put in the transmission and we still needed to do the TCM. So TCU TCM. I'll never forget what is.
Speaker 6: TCM Transmission control model?
Speaker 5: Now I'll remember TCM. So, but listen to this man.
Speaker 4: He tells me they put it in and the reason they needed a TCM and a transmission. Now, this is only according to a tech or. I don't know who told him this, but it's not him. He's not a tech sure, and he basically said I was told it needed both because the TCM ruined the transmission because it was bad, or maybe it was that the transmission ruined the TCM. So when Jeff Vick comes in, I'm very curious, can a or maybe you.
Speaker 5: Know, can a computer.
Speaker 4: I would think the computer could ruin the transmission, for example, not shifting right, telling it to go into third gear when it's in fifth and jumping forth.
Speaker 5: But I don't even know if that's possible.
Speaker 6: Sure, and that's all programming, but I mean, it would have to be some sort of a direct short in the transmission that would electrically fry a component in the computer.
Speaker 4: So the transmission. So this is what I got to ask, Jeff. If we look at the two old things, which I don't even know sure, First of all, it's impossible, and I'll tell you why. Because the original transmission we're three deep now. The original transmission has already been Cord, there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 5: And we know this set. We know the.
Speaker 4: Second his original transmission is CORD. The second transmission that was no good, I'm sure was already sent back because that was under warranty for the dealer, and then the third one.
Speaker 5: So I don't think we'll ever see the parts.
Speaker 4: And if we did, my god, you would have to spend all that time putting them back into the.
Speaker 6: Car forensics and everything on it. Yet, oh you.
Speaker 5: Would spend way more than what the car was worth.
Speaker 6: In my opinion, it's very very unlikely.
Speaker 4: And I'm hoping so this guy was going to look into it and call me back. Look, man, when Jim and Andy ran, they used to be in here on car Fridays.
Speaker 5: You met him numerous times.
Speaker 4: When these guys were running dealing dudge store in Colorado Springs before he sold it the Dodge Colorado Springs Dodge.
Speaker 5: We never had a problem.
Speaker 4: In fact, if we ever had any other issue, including this Kia store, those guys would make a call for us. And you know, I'm not saying they're wrong in this. I'm saying it doesn't smell right no matter what. So I'm hoping they get it figured out. But here's the deal man. I'm hoping to hear back from them. I'm hoping to update this guy. And I just don't know what else to say. My gut says because I was there in the chain of events this partner is telling me don't match up because I was literally in front of his sales guy.
Speaker 6: Well, how did they diagnose the TCM in a bad transmission if the first one was bad? No idea, that's what. It doesn't sound right.
Speaker 4: It doesn't sound right at all. But I'm hoping we get to worked out for the guy. This guy doesn't have a lot of money, but even if he did it, I mean, it's the principle of the matter. And I have a feeling once they program those I don't know when a dealership buys something, and I'll go to the phones in a second. We have two lines open now three zero three, Martino. But when a dealership did you ever work in a dealership?
Speaker 5: Yep?
Speaker 6: Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 4: So when the when the parts people order a TCU or or a TCM, or if they order any form of computer for the car or module, can they return those back or are they stuck? Because when I had my good years, if we ordered a computer, it was our computer.
Speaker 5: So if it didn't fix it.
Speaker 6: They have test modules all over the dealership.
Speaker 5: So they yeah, okay, I got you.
Speaker 6: Yep.
Speaker 4: It's different than when you have your own Is it still the same? If you order a TCM from a dealership for one of your customers, you own it.
Speaker 6: I own it. Every once in a while I can get away with send it back, but we don't try. Yeah, it's just not even worth it.
Speaker 5: Hey LJ. What's going on with this water here?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 9: New Year's Eve, I had uh no water, hot water. So we found out that it was the control valve just based off of the air. So I had somebody come out.
Speaker 10: Around the second of January and put in a new control valve. Shortly after that, we started seeing red water coming out of the flocets while we're running it.
Speaker 11: Hot wow, So I went down and drained the hot water heater and a little.
Speaker 9: Four years old, okay, And so it's a brand new house, has a PEX plumbing, and so drained the water heater. I didn't put in an anode because I thought, just based off of the training, the water heater would work. But now it's not as reddish. It's like a like a clay color, if you will.
Speaker 5: But you're sounding none of this.
Speaker 4: So so when this control valve went out, and by the way, for people listening, I mean that basically regulates the flow of gas or cooling or whatever through the water heater. I assume yours is a gas control valve.
Speaker 9: That's correct.
Speaker 5: I have no idea why.
Speaker 4: That would turn that water red, but you self diagnose that that was the only problem at the time, right, So you had a fault like the like the light was blinking four times or whatever, and you looked it off. It was a control valve.
Speaker 9: Yep, that's correct.
Speaker 5: Was there anything else? Hold on?
Speaker 4: Was there anything else going on? Was there any symptoms besides the light blinking? Was it not producing hot water?
Speaker 9: That's correct? Yeah, So the kids woke up New Year's Eve and had no hot water. So we had to wait because New York' date was closed, so we didn't have any hot water until the third or the fourth of January when they came in and replaced the valve.
Speaker 5: Man, that's an absolute trip. Let's get on.
Speaker 4: So at this point right now, I mean till this day, if you run hot water on this four year old water heater, you're actually getting a red tint to the water.
Speaker 12: Yeah.
Speaker 9: So if I put the way we look at it was.
Speaker 4: I don't think a diode would do that either, unless the minerals, unless you have some crazy minerals. Here's what I want to do. Let's get Paul, the waterman on. I want to talk to Paul for two reasons. I'd call a normal plumber, if you will, but this is a little outside of that. Hold on, man, I'm going to get one of our experts on, because if anybody's seen this before, it's gonna be Paul and then Truman.
Speaker 5: You hold tight.
Speaker 4: Two lines open three zero three seven one three Martino, go with a sure.
Speaker 5: Thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out Now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 4: Man, I'm trying to get to the bottom of this, uh this mystery. We're gonna talk to some different plumbers. We're gonna talk to Bob Logan. But basically LJ called in. He had a control valve replaced because a high water heater wasn't working. It was only four years old. I mean, it's pretty new water heater. He also drained it and filled it. But after doing all that stuff well before he drained it and filled it, and I'm pulling up Bob Logan with plumbline.
Speaker 5: Hey Bob, what's going on?
Speaker 6: Man?
Speaker 5: How are you doing?
Speaker 2: Sir?
Speaker 5: I'm doing well, mark you today, I'm doing good.
Speaker 4: So after this guy gets a control valve installed by some company and the water heater starts working again, it's heating up water.
Speaker 5: There's no problem.
Speaker 4: What happens is the water is red. Let me lock you in, Hey, LJ, before you drained and filled it. How red are we talking? I mean, give me an idea, like a couple drops of the red dye into a bottled water.
Speaker 9: No, I'll give you our Some plays baseball. So when he slides in that red clay dirt, he took his clothes and it's that red.
Speaker 5: Got it?
Speaker 9: It was? You could see it. It's transparent, but it was red, like if you were soaking dirty glove.
Speaker 4: And then Bob after he drains it and fills it. Hey, how long was it sitting there broke by.
Speaker 5: The way LJ.
Speaker 9: About three or four days?
Speaker 4: So prior to that there was no red at all anywhere? No, No, so Bob, no red at all. He drains it and fills it. And now it's not a red by any stretch, but it's still got a tin of red to it.
Speaker 5: What the hell could it? How could a control valve?
Speaker 4: I don't think a control valve would have anything to do with that, right, I mean, what do you think, Bob.
Speaker 8: No control valve wouldn't have anything to do with that? Is is he on a well by chance?
Speaker 7: No?
Speaker 9: We're a city of thorn and water. We have a water software from the water pros attached which we got for a couple of years.
Speaker 6: I agree.
Speaker 9: I don't think it's the control valve. The only thing I can think of is when the guy changed it, he didn't drain it all the way he would stats enough to. He drained a little bit right, got it low, put the new valve in. Some water came out, So I don't know if that yeah, but put everything off the bottom. But I drained it and got a lot of sediment out.
Speaker 4: But guys, why if there was no redness prior to that, only three days before, whether he drained any of it out to do the control valver all of it out?
Speaker 5: Where the hell did the red come from?
Speaker 8: Well, it could be from the sediment that was in the bottom of the tank. Mark they got mixed up. And now it's just settling.
Speaker 4: I see what you're saying, So, Bob, when a hot water heater is up and functioning for years in your house, all that sediment's going to go to the bottom. But when this I possibly drained some of it, not all of it. Installed, the new valve, fired it back up, It started filling itself back up to the top, kicks on the gas. It could have mixed all together, and now you have the red.
Speaker 8: That's that's my my thoughts. So so my suggestion like, how long has this been going on?
Speaker 5: For four years? Bob? Is that right? No? No, no, no years.
Speaker 9: So no, that's who old the water heater is. The issue has been going on since we repleased it, and so I have to put a new anode in anyway. That was one of the other things I was going to try to do. I don't have any issues draining it. And when I drained it, the initial I would say five or six gallons, oh maybe five gallons have that redness to it when I was draining it. But then I sat there for quite quite a while once it was completely empty, turning on the cold water, having it kind of uh, just rup what everyone's at the bottom. And I did that on and off for about an hour, you know, fill it for about ten seconds, drain it, fill it for another ten drain it. And I did that for I started at six in the morning with Don right before the Bronco game.
Speaker 4: Hey, Bob, is there any way on these Is there any way on these water heaters? Like I'll give you an idea of what I'm asking on our bus when we want to clean out the.
Speaker 5: Gray tank or the black tank.
Speaker 4: We can basically hit a certain button, it'll redirect the water and it'll spray around inside the tank for a while and just clean the heck out of it. Man, Do water heaters have any place you can connect a hose or do something to where they're going to clean themselves and then you can drain it.
Speaker 8: No, nothing'll so I mean to, you know, try to drain it again and then and then you know.
Speaker 5: Go to use it.
Speaker 8: So chances are, if you know your water filter is working properly, you're not on the well and it happened, you know, and it's just short term. I would just continue to run it and it should clear up over time. It might take again, if that settiment has kind of floating around there, Yeah, it might take a little call for that to settle. But but again, you're it's that's that's about my only guest there.
Speaker 5: Yeah, what else could it be? I never thought about that with the sediment.
Speaker 4: I have never We've owned homes for thirty years and I've never had red water.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 4: No, it's nuts, man, But okay, I mean I appreciate that that makes a lot of sense. In fact, it's very logical too. He's just got to continue to, you know, drain it, fill it back up, drain it, fill it back up, run some water, and it is going to go away. But you're you're kind of it is interesting with a water system in there as well. I wonder why the water system and that would be a question for Paul. Why the softener isn't helping out with this.
Speaker 8: Well and it and it should Again, there's a different a filter and a softener. I'm not sure.
Speaker 6: I'm not sure he.
Speaker 5: Has installed there, And yeah, that's true, and of.
Speaker 8: Course those should be coming in before the water heater. If he was installed installed after the water heater, he's not going to do any good. And so, uh, you know, it's it's hard to say. But the other possibility, my plumber said, but I don't think this is it, because it would have had in these these challenges before, is that if if it was installed using fittings, the wrong fittings that allowed electrolysis to happen, then then that that could cause a similar problem.
Speaker 4: How much do you guys, typically speaking, how much do you guys charge if this guy called you up directly over at plumb Line Services and said, here's what's going on, how do you guys typically charge for a plumb service call? And the reason I asked that is not just for this call. You know, over the next three days there are so many people that aren't gonna simply undo the hose from the hose bib outside, and they're going to have frozen and broken pipes in everything. Typically speaking, maybe not on an emergency when it's below zero for three days, but typically speaking, what do you guys charge to put a licensed plumber into a truck and send them out for a diagnosis.
Speaker 8: Well, the price, the price is the same regardless of whether it's freezing, whether or not it's forty nine dollars can normal that just two hundred dollars after hours. But and when they get there, they'll they'll do a visual diagnostic of everything. You know, they'll ask you the questions through some some test to a visual diagnostic. You know, if like for example, on a on pipes frozen or something like that, they got to starting drywall, they're doing further diagnosis and over those charges. But just get a professional there and you can get the rise.
Speaker 4: On forty nine bucks. Yeah, yeah, you can't beat that. Plumb line services. You see these guys everywhere. I think the In fact, you guys are the largest home services company in Colorado, aren't you, Bob?
Speaker 6: We are now Mark?
Speaker 5: Yeah, wow, you know impressive.
Speaker 8: It was always just to be the best and yeah, and over the last five years.
Speaker 5: One follows the other.
Speaker 4: Though, when when you were set out to be the best, not necessarily the biggest, most of the time you become the biggest because you set out to be the best.
Speaker 8: Well that's I think that's what's happened. And you know, we're certainly not perfect, but we strive.
Speaker 4: And I'll give your phone number out at the end for people. But one one question for everybody listening. What's the number one you call you get after we have three days like literally below zero We're talking negative ten fifteen, just extreme cold for a long period of time.
Speaker 5: Is the number one call? Broken pipes?
Speaker 4: And I assume what happens is they're still frozen, but they're not getting any water.
Speaker 5: I mean, what is that number one call in this kind of cold?
Speaker 8: You're exactly right, So the first thing that's going to happen is the pipes are going to freeze and you're not going to have water.
Speaker 5: And chances are.
Speaker 13: If that happens that.
Speaker 8: Freeze broke the pipe someplace, and then after it starts thawing, it's going to start flooding someplace somewhere.
Speaker 5: So you better be really careful.
Speaker 8: So I would recommend, like you said, make sure your hoses are disconnected over the next several days, open up the cabinets underneath the sinks, especially if they're on an outside wall. Allow that warm air to come in from the house colder is not trapped in there. Maybe even like you know, Sunday night, Monday, when it's going to get to single digits, just drip your faucet, turn the hot water on just as a drip to eat that warm water flowing through there.
Speaker 5: And then hose pibs.
Speaker 4: My god, if you have a hose connected outside disconnected.
Speaker 8: Yes, because not only are you going to get the flooding on the outside, but that's going to break it on the inside and you're going to it's gonna flood your house.
Speaker 4: And I'll tell you something else people should do, Bob big time. They should go figure out where their shut off is if they don't know. If you don't know where the main shut off is, you better go find it because if you got water flying out from under the kitchen sink all of a sudden, and you got to go Google or try to figure out where it is you need to do that.
Speaker 5: You need to know where the hell it is. That's right.
Speaker 8: Every every house has one main shut off, typically in your basement that'll shut out the water to the entire house and to your point if if your pipees freeze or if they're you know, if you're not getting if you're not getting water, that means your pipes are frozen. You have to shut that belve off so that when they do though, you're not flooding your house. And get a get a professional plumb out there, sap All.
Speaker 4: Right, Hey, Bob Logan plumb line Services dot Com. Great people, they've been out. They have done a lot of work for me. I mean, like over the years, quite a bit of work. They've actually helped me out a lot. Three oh three five eight six, ten eighty six. Write that number down now, man, that cold weather's coming and listen to all the advice we just gave you. Three oh three five eight six, ten eighty six, plumb line Services dot Com. I gotta take a break. We're gonna come back to Truman I hope he helped you out there.
Speaker 5: LJ. Just continue to flush it.
Speaker 4: I learned something on that as well, and then we do have We're gonna have three lines open three zero three Martino three oh three seven one three eight two five five, and Jeff Vick joins us as well.
Speaker 5: Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 14: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation in comparison, call Compass Insurance. Pay too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Yeah, ripped up. You need that so you don't have.
Speaker 1: Come run in sious as stas as you can. Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 3: Six is the Troubleshooter Show. No Tom Martino, Hi.
Speaker 5: Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five Here to help you solve problems, answer questions, stay complaints, make your life a little easier. As you can see if you are streaming. I got my uglies in the studio and one pretty one pretty you figure it out. The risk of came. In fact, you should, yeah, Jeff should, Jeff vic should switch places with Sus at this point because there's too much Jeff, not enough Sus. But it's okay anyway, and then I wouldn't be laughing Kevin. Okay, never mind say three three seven one, three eight two five. Now, guys, you know, I know you didn't discuss this a lot. And I'm gonna go to Bethel, of course, because uh calls always take precedent, So I'm gonna do that. And then I am just shocked. Do you realize this is the first time in history, It will be the first time in history when a public form of some kind has been shut down in America. You know, they've been doing that all over the country, all over the world, like in Charina and Russia. Yeah, it's major to me. And I'm of the thought that, you know, complete and open, except that I don't take into considerations something I may or may not know. And see they're not saying they're shutting it down because of the expression on there that has nothing to do with it, not the content. They're saying it's a spy app. But what could it possibly gather that would help that would be against you know what I'm saying. Can I do understand it? Yeah?
Speaker 4: Go ahead? Well what are they what are they afraid of? Well, they're afraid of everything. The amount of information that TikTok grabs. TikTok knows everything. If that app is running, which on most people that have it, it's running everywhere.
Speaker 5: They know where you go.
Speaker 4: They know your location, they know how long you hang out at the bowling Alley, they know what restaurants you go to, they know what.
Speaker 6: So does Google Maps as far as that's concerned.
Speaker 4: Say that again, Jeff, here's what I want to know. What will that do? But wait, Jeff, that's a perfect example. So does Google Maps. But so does if you have a tesla. But but the Chinese government doesn't have access to Google Maps. That's the difference. They know where everything is going on. Then what happens is, say an election's coming up, they can say, oh, okay, well everybody on TikTok that you know goes to a liquor store twice a week. I'm totally making stuff up. But so people get an idea of what they could target. We want to target all these people before the election that Joe Blow is going to outlaw liquor. They can start, they can start running ads against whatever they don't want to happen. Because they have all the data on everybody, so can Facebook, Facebook.
Speaker 5: To the Chinese government. So you're wait a minute, So you're saying that the information gathering is not the problem, it's who's getting the information.
Speaker 4: Well, a lot of people would say both, but not me. I've already given up the dream of my life is private in this world. So but no, the problem is it's who owns it. It's our adversary. It's not Zuckerberg, it's Red China.
Speaker 5: Man. Wow, wow, I don't know. I mean, it's just shocking to me. I don't I personally don't think there's anything they can glean from an app that would be dangerous to national security.
Speaker 4: I just told you they once they have all the information if they didn't want Trump, they have demographics.
Speaker 5: They have demographics.
Speaker 4: My god, Tom, you I bet TikTok can tell them every time someone opens up a porn site. I bet if you're on TikTok, they know anything you ever do. Go to any restaurant and look around at anytime people are on their phone twenty four to seven and whatever they're doing, whatever they're whatever they're doing. I'm telling you at this point, China knows about it, and that is scary as hell.
Speaker 5: I just have a quick question, mark, Yes, what is the porn site? I don't know.
Speaker 4: I've never seen. I've only heard of one. It's either a porn hub.
Speaker 5: Bethel, Bethel, what's going on with you?
Speaker 15: Hi?
Speaker 12: I'm just running into an issue with my city. They won't let me do a short term lease at my house, and the city has stopped me, and I decided to sue them, and I still won't get my license even if I.
Speaker 5: What city, Bethel guilty? City of Laundry, Bethy, Bethel, Bethel, what city the city of Laundree? Okay, So you live in Loan Tree and you own a home or a somewhere you want to rent.
Speaker 12: I own a home and I'm trying to do a business. It's a short term rental business.
Speaker 5: You want to do like vacation home by owner something like that. Well, they I'm looking it up now.
Speaker 4: But if they don't allow short term rentals usually defined it under thirty one days, I mean, then they don't allow them.
Speaker 5: There's nothing you're going to do to change it.
Speaker 12: We had our license well before they made that rule.
Speaker 4: And well, hold on, if the speed limits sixty five and they change it to seventy five, that doesn't even hold.
Speaker 5: On, hold on, I want to I want to explore this. What do you mean you had a license? I didn't know they required that in loan trade, So explain that to me first.
Speaker 12: So we had a license, we submitted an application and this happened back in twenty twenty three, and they told us that we are missing documents or there was a missing paper, and so we Were.
Speaker 5: You ever granted? Yeah? But this is what I need to know. Bethy. You said you had a license. Were you actually ever granted a license?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 5: And when was that license in effect?
Speaker 12: That was, I believe the year before twenty twenty three.
Speaker 4: And Tom, here's what it said you had it for. It says short term. But I want to know about her situation.
Speaker 5: Mark. I'll get to that, I promise you. I know I appreciate you looking that up. So bet Bethel in twenty twenty two, you were doing short term rentals.
Speaker 12: We've been doing short term rentals since maybe twenty sixteen, twenty seventeen.
Speaker 5: Okay, hold on and then Bethel in twenty twenty two, that was the only year you had a license, Is that right?
Speaker 12: I'm not sure my mom has been doing taking care of the license, but I do.
Speaker 5: Know that we have been in twenty twenty three. You're not sure if you had one in twenty twenty three or twenty twenty four.
Speaker 6: Is that right?
Speaker 12: We submitted one in twenty twenty three May twenty twenty three, and they told us that we were missing documents, and we said why didn't to inform us? And they were like, it's not our fall, you won't get the license, And so we tried to get submit a new application. They wouldn't let us.
Speaker 5: So, okay, got it. Listen to this ready. They would not accept your application for twenty twenty three. Yes, and what about twenty twenty four.
Speaker 12: We have a license in twenty twenty four, but we're not allowed to rent since we didn't have one technically.
Speaker 5: No, wait a minute, you just said you had a license in twenty twenty four, we do.
Speaker 12: We technically have a license. We have a license that we submitted, and they won't accept it.
Speaker 5: Well, that's what I'm getting at. Before Mark goes on, I just so, you only had a license in twenty twenty two. In your opinion, you had a license in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, but they never really reissued the license for twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four. It was just in your opinion. Is that correct?
Speaker 12: Well, it's not in our opinion. We submitted it, and we have, like the document proof that we did submit it.
Speaker 15: And then I'm not talking.
Speaker 5: About that, Bethel. Bethel, Listen, when you go through procedures, you got to accept things in the form asking you if you agree you never obtained an actual official license for twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four except in your opinion.
Speaker 12: I don't understand.
Speaker 5: Okay, Bethel, I'm gonna put it this way. If you had a license in twenty twenty three and twenty twenty four, we wouldn't be on the phone right now.
Speaker 7: Correct.
Speaker 5: The reason you're the reason you're on the phone is they are not acknowledging that you are licensed.
Speaker 12: Okay, Correct, Okay.
Speaker 5: Now, Bethel, I want I want to ask you a simple question that I want Mark to unload his research. The simple question is this, are there other landlords right now in loan Tree that do have acknowledged licenses and are renting short term?
Speaker 12: I'm not sure if they have licenses. I'm pretty sure they have to, but there are other people renting in the country.
Speaker 4: Okay, Mark, what did you find out? Well, it's real simple, man. So they basically banned short term rentals like airbnbvrbo anything like that. But here's what it says.
Speaker 5: Even with a license. Mark, listen, here's what it says.
Speaker 4: Short term rentals that were established prior to March eighth, twenty twenty three are permitted to continue their operations provided they operate with a city business license, remitted tax returns for the past three years of operation, and obtained a permit by May seventh.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty three. She didn't do that, apparently, Bethel, did you do that?
Speaker 12: I mean, we weren't informed about all of these licenses. All we knew is that we needed to have a short term mental license.
Speaker 4: Did you guys have your doubt Chaska, when you guys did your Airbnb or VRBO or whatever you did. For example, are they on your tax returns anywhere? Or you could prove that you did it for three years? Or were you pocketing the money or how did that work? And did you have as Tom asked you one hundred times, did you actually have a license any of those years?
Speaker 12: Yes, we did, we did the text. No, she did directly and everything.
Speaker 5: She just had it for twenty twenty three. Mark, Okay, I'm convinced of that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and she did, and she did obtain the permit by May seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: I mean that's two years ago, almost right. So okay, so what do we do about this? You said you sued them? What does that mean?
Speaker 12: Well, we sued them because they were not preventing. They were not allowing us to run, even though we did apply for the license and everything. And so our lawyers told us that we can either plead guilty or guilty because they were finding us for renting even though they said we didn't have a license. And so they said, we can either plead guilty or not guilty, and if we plead guilty, we don't get the license. If we don't plead guilty, you don't get the license, and so we don't win in the situation either way, and so we wanted to city for determination.
Speaker 5: Well, it's pretty hard to know. First of all, there's no such thing that the defamation does not it does enter into this at all. There is no definite I mean, I'm not an attorney here, but I'm telling you there there is. Tell me, what do you mean by defamation? Well, how are they defaming you?
Speaker 12: They were allowed?
Speaker 5: Let's not even go ahead.
Speaker 12: No, I mean, if you want to answer the questions for me, go ahead.
Speaker 5: No, I'm asking you how are they defaming you? I'm not trying to be as smart as I would ask that you not be either. Okay, I'm trying to help you, but I think that you have an opinion and you feel everyone should agree with it, and I'm trying to give you an objective look to help you, not to hurt you. So I'm asking you, how did the city defame you.
Speaker 12: By not letting us have our license?
Speaker 5: That's not defamation. Defamation is this. Here's what defamation is. Bethel and her family are disgusting. Bethel and her family are disgusting, and they shouldn't have rentals because they don't know how to treat people and they are criminals. That's defamation. That's what defamation is. It's not refusing to allow you to have a license because you think you should have one, but getting right to the point of suing this city.
Speaker 4: I mean, that's so costly and you're not going to change. You're not going to change what's happening right now. Did you guys actually hire an attorney to try to get the license or the only reason the attorney was involved is because they were finding you.
Speaker 12: No, we actually tried. We got a lawyer to help with define and to help us get the license.
Speaker 4: And they still denied it. Yes, I don't know where you would go from there, Tom, any ideas. I mean, if a lawyer's not going to get it done.
Speaker 5: And a judge actually said it, I think I'd like to know the reasons they're being turned down. I think she has a right to know that.
Speaker 7: Well.
Speaker 4: I think the reasons they're exactly what I read. I mean, she did not obtain a permit by May seventh, twenty twenty three, two years ago.
Speaker 5: But does that mean that right now, no new applications. If she wanted to start over, she can't do that. No, it's done. Man, that doesn't seem fair.
Speaker 4: It's only grandfathered people that it appears. It's only grandfathered people that had been bus in business were short term rentals in loan Tree for three years prior that actually went out and got the city business license and got the new permit, the grandfathered permit by May seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: So they're saying, if you didn't do it, you can never do it. Yeah, in this thing doesn't sound right.
Speaker 4: Well, yeah, if you don't move there, if you move there now, you cannot do short term rentals no matter what.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you could have been grandfathered in, but she didn't do it properly.
Speaker 4: Well, if that's what I keep asking, and you kept asking, what I'm trying to figure out is it says listen again at the callers short term rentals that were established prior to March eighth, twenty twenty three. So first of all, did you guys rent this out prior to March eighth?
Speaker 6: Yes?
Speaker 12: Or no, we're reventing before March eighth, yes.
Speaker 5: Twenty twenty three?
Speaker 4: Yeah, okay, did you operate with the city business this license not?
Speaker 5: Did you try to get one? And didn't. But did you literally have a city business license.
Speaker 4: At that time prior to March twenty twenty three, yes, and then you remitted taxes for the past three years. Yes, and then by May seventh, twenty twenty three, you obtained a permit or you tried to obtain a permit.
Speaker 12: Yes, he tried.
Speaker 4: So why did they deny it the first time? Why did they say no the first time? Then let's come back to this. Let's come back to this and find out. I want to ask Brad O'Brien. I'd like Brad O'Brien to come on and at least give her. She's a he's a real estate attorney, Bethel that might weigh in on this, okay, and I could.
Speaker 5: I'm not saying he can help you, but he might. Who knows. I'm Tom Martino. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five waterpros dot Net, man, I can't tell you. Just just listen why I say this water is the best. Okay, that's health and you gotta have the best water, and waterpros dot net has the best water at the lowest prices. It's that simple. Three oh three eight six two five five five four go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 14: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Artino here three oh three seven one three talk three A three seven one three eight two five five. Brad O'Brien olslaw dot com. It's O'Brien Legal Services, O'Brien Legal Services, and I'll give his number out after the call. Listen, Brad, have you been getting many calls from people who want to do short term rentals and a lot of cities are shutting those down? Uh?
Speaker 16: Yeah, Tom, they are becoming more regulated, and yeah, Denver and some other Mountain towns are definitely regulating them and requiring licensing.
Speaker 5: Now, loan Tree went one step further. As I understand it, they not only required licensing, but that's only for grandfathering in those who had been doing it, and they will allow no new licenses. Is that what I understand? Mark? Is that what it was is that you readily so Brad Bethel said she's had a license once in twenty twenty three and they would not grandfather her. Now you know, Bethel, did you actually sue the city? At first? I want to ask that you said you did. Did you actually file a lawsuit?
Speaker 17: Yes?
Speaker 5: Did you lose or win?
Speaker 12: Well, it's not finished yet. They want me to plead guilty, and my lawyers want me to plead guilty. So then I just pay a one time one thousand for all the fines that I thought when I was renting when they told.
Speaker 17: Me not to.
Speaker 5: Okay, So did you bring this lawsuit or did the city bring it? When you say guilty, did the city find you and that's what you sued about?
Speaker 12: Yes, well we find them, so there's multiple cases. We find them about the fine, wet them, sue them for the fines, and then we all sue them for the rent the license, and then they did my lawyers put them all under one case, one big case.
Speaker 5: So you're suing to get the fines dismissed and to rein say your license basically, yes, where does it stand in the courts right now?
Speaker 12: I'm not sure my mom is dealing with all of that. I'm calling on her behalf.
Speaker 5: Okay, So you're not sure where it stands? Okay, so you called today to find out what, Brad, I guess you're going to say, you know, the courts have it. Let him decide, right, I mean, she was she was obviously fined for she kept doing it after twenty twenty three when they did not renew her license, and Mark said, one of the reasons they probably did not renew her license was because she was required to do a few things. Mark, what was that?
Speaker 4: Well, she had to submit three years of tax returns where I guess that rental property income would be on there. She had to prove that, you know, she was licensed to do it, and then I guess at most most important part I was reading, is it all had to be done before May seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Brad.
Speaker 4: Here's what it says. It's the City of Loane Tree's website. It says short term rentals were established prior short term rentals that were established prior to March eight, twenty twenty three, are permitted to continue their operations provided they operate with the city business license, remitted taxes for the past three years of operation, and obtained a permit by May seventh, twenty twenty three.
Speaker 5: Well, it's evident, so she must have not done that, exactly, she must have not. Are you claiming you did all of that and they still turned you down? Yes, you actually submitted everything they asked for.
Speaker 12: We submitted everything they asked for. What the application? And then they told us that we were missing documents? And then we were asking what's done?
Speaker 5: What did they say? Hold on, hold on, don't don't, don't go over that. What were you missing?
Speaker 12: I'm not one hundred percent sure they told my mom that she was missing some Can.
Speaker 5: We talk to your mom?
Speaker 12: You can call her?
Speaker 5: Yeah, we want to. Hey, Brad, just can you weigh in on these kinds of cases and where they go and what what is your overall impression? You've heard as much as we did.
Speaker 16: Yeah, the city is do have the right to regulate term rentals in their jurisdictions, and they can require licensing, and they can have requirements.
Speaker 13: To get those licenses.
Speaker 6: And you basically have to follow the steps.
Speaker 5: I mean, that's it in a nutshell, isn't it. I mean, really, if they're saying she didn't, she says she did. I mean, so whether she I'm gonna I'm gonna lean towards she probably didn't. Not because I'm against you, Bethel, but because I don't think the city has a reason to single you out. Brent. In your experience, have you found cases where procedurally the city was mistaken and there were things filed that they overlooked. Have you ever found that, I mean, it might happen, you would not come to mind.
Speaker 16: But if every case is different, look at but they're asking for the saying that they say is missing, and respond to that.
Speaker 5: I want to call her. I want to call your mom A Brad O'Brien O'Brien Legal Services seven to zero three seven zero seventy three eighty eight. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Marlino here with you with the gang in the studio fighting for you now. Mark also read on the requirements for short term rentals. It's not a walk in the park.
Speaker 4: No, there's a lot too. There's one of the things I did want to ask her. Since she's still up, we can't get her mom, but did you were you guys paying like the sales tax?
Speaker 5: And did you pay all that on time?
Speaker 4: I mean, there is so many things required to keep and maintain this license. I mean it's it's like operating a business.
Speaker 12: I mean we kept up with all the fees, all the home Association sees, all the taxes that we need to do. We kept up with everything.
Speaker 4: What we really got to figure out time is what were they missing if they denied the packet?
Speaker 5: Why?
Speaker 4: I mean, that's what we have to know is why did they deny it? I mean you have not think they did not.
Speaker 5: I think I think they did not submit everything I think it's that simple. I think that she looks, she says her mom took care of it, so it could be your mom didn't do it all. I mean, there would be no reason for them to say, hey, let's not grandfather this one in. It's one too many. It doesn't make sense to me.
Speaker 4: But see, you know, I didn't want to say I don't know if this is true with a loan Tree, but in Bolder, I know this. It has to be the person that's renting it out as a short time rental in Bolder has to be the owner of the property and has to live there at least six months and one day out of the year. It has to be their principal residence. You can't simply own a condo in Bolder in short term rented unless if you live there as your principal residence. So there's one reason, and it's got to be deeded in your name. It's got to pass all electrical, it's got to pass everything. So loan Tree probably has something similar like that that you guys didn't qualify for. But unless if we look at the app or more importantly, the denial letter, I don't even know where we start on this.
Speaker 5: I don't either. I don't, honest to goodness, I just don't. I think we have to talk to her mom, and her mom's not available, Bethel, do you know where your mom might be or can you talk to her first? Maybe she's is not picking up a strange number or something.
Speaker 12: I believe I believe she's got a.
Speaker 4: Doctor's appointment right now, And Bethel fits true. You guys submitted everything and they're just saying no because they feel like it. We'll get personally involved and we'll fight for you. We'll get Brad O'Brien involved. But I mean, we've got to know what we're up against. I mean, we'd love to help you out, but I'm I'm truly afraid this stuff wasn't submitted on time or lack of and that's what we've got to figure out.
Speaker 5: Before anything.
Speaker 12: I'll get my mom to talk to you guys, so you guys can get the full story.
Speaker 5: Thank you, Bethel. Now, by the way, I want to ask about the house is this part? Is this a house she lives in when she's not renting.
Speaker 12: She owns it, She's been owning it for over twenty years. She built it, she lived in the basement to make sure that she followed all the rules that are permit it.
Speaker 5: Now has she ever thought about a long term rental? I mean, rentals are hot in Lone Tree.
Speaker 6: Right now.
Speaker 12: We tried, we're not really getting any business in that department.
Speaker 5: Really, what kind of a house is it?
Speaker 12: It's a five bedroom.
Speaker 5: Home, five bedroom ranch? Or two story?
Speaker 12: It's two story?
Speaker 5: My god? Is it in a nice neighborhood?
Speaker 12: Very nice, very safe?
Speaker 5: Uh? Man, I'm telling you you find some executive couple or some professional people that I mean, I'm not even I'm even thinking could you do a long term rental with more than one tenant? You know where people you know where they have a common area and they have bedrooms. I mean, I don't know what they would allow or not allow, because that's not a short.
Speaker 4: Term generally speaking. Short term rentals makes so much more money though.
Speaker 5: Man. Yeah, but if you mark, if you could have let's say there's five bedroom, un let's see have two or three tenants sharing that house, or three or maybe even four or five. I mean, seriously, if you did it the right way, I don't know, man, You know, I think they need somebody who thinks creatively on getting this thing, because if she has this big house and can't do anything with it, she's going to She depended on this income, right, Bethel?
Speaker 12: Yeah?
Speaker 5: And did she ever pay sales tax on it? Out of curiosity?
Speaker 12: She pays all our taxes. She does everything. She hires someone to make sure she gets all our taxes done correctly.
Speaker 5: You know, sales tax is a completely different animal. But in any case, here's the deal. What we need to do is wait to talk to your mom. That's what we really have to do. Next three o three seven one three eight two five five we're talking about your problems, your questions, and your complaints eight eight eight. Heating dot com high efficiency units at the best prices guaranteed. So if you're going to replace something, why not save thirty to fifty percent every single month. They also do the deep clean forty five bucks three oh three seven seven zero two seven seven six eight eight eight. Heating dot Com. No it go with a sure thing Denver's Best Room for Excel roofing dot Com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up, free no obligation comparison call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here, Welcome to the show. Three all three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. All right, guys, now we get to this discussion. What do you think TikTok? I mean, it's a major deal that we are outlawing this, and Mark says it's because they're getting demographic information about us.
Speaker 4: Do you wow, it's it's not Timy, it's Red China, Tom, that's who owns.
Speaker 5: No, no, I get it. But well, first of all, the owner says he's independent.
Speaker 4: There's no one independent in China that that just everybody knows. There's not one business in China that the Chinese government doesn't have full access to everything.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what happens now? Didn't they start some kind of a new form, some kind of a new service altogether?
Speaker 4: I thought, first of all, it's still up, it's still up right now? And Trump is saying he's going to do some form of an executive order, uh, to keep it up.
Speaker 5: Does he not believe in does he not believe in it? No? Actually he's the opposite. No, he's the opposite. That's what I thought. I would think Musk is too, the opposite, meaning that they don't believe in banning stuff right in general, I mean, what do you think? I mean, I think that that's their main that's their main claim to fame.
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know how Elon thinks, Cause with Elon, I mean in a way, I'm not saying that's up against Twitter. I mean they're completely different in a lot of ways. But I mean it is I would assume it's some form of advertising competition. But you do got to remember there is a big freaking deal when China has accessed all that data.
Speaker 5: Man, it's just crazy. It's crazy. But are we naive to think that they can't get it? In another way? You can subscribe to demographic data. You're missing it though, are you? You're missing it?
Speaker 4: Then they can advertise what they want to happen. Oh, your government is screwing you. They're doing inside stuff, taking your money, taking your taxes. They can do campaigns targeted to hundreds of millions of people to try to get through their messaging during a wartime if we actually went to war.
Speaker 5: With it on a Facebook account and do that mark, No, they can't.
Speaker 4: They don't have access to the back end data of Facebook. They don't have it. They don't know every other app you use on your phone. By advertising on Facebook, they have access to all the data.
Speaker 5: What kind of data do they get on TikTok people? I don't know what they don't get?
Speaker 4: Well, like where you work, where your websites are, what phone company you have, what electric company you have, all your contacts, everybody you deal with, are you republican Democrat? All your texts? Possibly anything? Anything?
Speaker 5: I want to know how people think about it. Morons weigh in on it, call me, I really do I just it just seems it just seems counterproductive. Look at I'm not for the communist government, but if they know demographics and they do campaigns, that's freedom of expression and freedom of speech.
Speaker 4: I mean, okay, so China and even China, who's our adversary, should have freedom of speech like a citizen. Yeah, okay, Well I guess Russia should too.
Speaker 5: Yeah. No, I'm saying when I say freedom, don't get don't get me wrong. I mean I don't think they should infiltrate and and hack and do illegal things. But if they can send messages. You know China, China won't allow any of ours over there.
Speaker 4: They have to monitor anything Facebook or Twitter, anything if they want to operate in that country because of the exact same reason.
Speaker 5: Now, I'm not anti American. I'm just saying that that that we should be able to discern any information on our own and allow a free flow. But anyway, i'd like to know your opinion. Coming up, Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 14: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Leave time for an insurance check up free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Ripped of news you needed, That's who you don't.
Speaker 5: Have come run anxious as fast as you can.
Speaker 1: Shooter's gonna help coming.
Speaker 3: Man, this is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: No, Tom Martine, Hey, welcome to Car Day today. We haven't had many car questions, but I'm going to change that. And if you look at the screen, if you're if you're streaming, you're gonna see pizza not mine. No no, no, no no. They're all pigging out on pizza in the studio. But that's okay. Three oh three seven one three talk. I'm here all by my lonesome at the home studio ship and then these guys are all pigging out on pizza. But I don't care. I want to take your calls, your problems, your questions, your complaints. I want to make your life a little easier. That's what I want to do. I do have some texts I want to get to and this one is okay. We were talking about TikTok and the band and this guy says, who texted me? Or this goal? Uh? And by the way, I want you to text me seven four seven nine nine eighty. You don't have to put anything there. That's my personal Google number. And it comes to my cell phone, okay, the truth be told. If it gets to be a pain in the butt, I can turn it off, but I always get the text. They never go away. Also, you can text me there for Wave eight Wealth Management if you ever want to talk to me or my colleagues. We you know, that's a whole set priate ballgame. But you can text me there, okay, and I'd be happy to call you. I believe everyone needs to look at financing nowadays, the finances nowadays anyway. So so back to the TikTok red TikTok agreement. Before you get an account, they have access to everything on your phone, bank accounts, passwords, what social security numbers, what. Joe Rogan actually covered this on this podcasts everything. Here's what I everything now. I did some research here, not really, you know, chat did the research. Here's what it says. The government's concerns about TikTok stem from national security risks focusing on the ownership its owner. It's owned by Byte Dance. But what Byte Dance and other companies in China agree to is that this is what the Chinese government, by the way, requires all companies. China's National Intelligence law requires all Chinese organizations, businesses, and citizens to cooperate and submit to the government for their intelligence work. Listen to this. This is actually part of the constant Well, I don't know if you call it a constitution, but the Chinese government. This raises concerns that byte edance could be forced to hand over data. Think about that potential for censorship and propaganda. They have a concern that it could be manipulated. And then, like you said, Mark, but here's the other thing. They're gathering information on people in the government itself and stupid people of the counts that aren't supposed to Plus, younger generations are being influenced, and they're being influenced politically. Okay, then they're saying that it's not just demographic information they're gathering, they're trapping. Listen to this, locations of high value individuals, profiling individuals, and turning people into assets for espionage and blackmail. They have had people who have recruited through TikTok. Do you believe that, Well, absolutely, think about it.
Speaker 4: They have some kid, they got all his information, they got some video of them that basically the phone took of him doing things that are you know, teenagers do if you will, And then all of a sudden they reach out to him to ask him for a favor or else.
Speaker 5: Man, that's incredible, all right, three h three seven one three talk three all three seven one three eight two five five. This idiot just won't leave this at the door. I mean, I have to go to the door, go get your pizza. No, it's probably some important stuff. Hold on, just take nut.
Speaker 6: I got to it.
Speaker 4: He keeps ringing, three oh three seven. Well, listen, we got lines open. We need some car questions today. I realize it's January and everybody's getting back to moving and grooving. But we've got two car experts here. Maybe you want to sell a car and need a value of a car. Maybe you've got a problem with a car a certain noise. I happen to know that, Kevin and Jeff, if you call up and make a sound that your car's doing, they can identify it nine out of ten times.
Speaker 5: Would you say, that's right?
Speaker 6: I can do it ten out of ten times.
Speaker 5: Ten At ten times ten out.
Speaker 6: Of ten, that's always the same thing.
Speaker 18: It's some moron on the other side of the freaking phone making noises.
Speaker 5: He's hey, guys, are there any like tips for these sub zero tempts.
Speaker 6: Well, about to get a question, but you were going to ask Jeff too, Mark, remember about the TCM in that.
Speaker 4: So one of the things that rapo Key is saying, I'm not going to recap.
Speaker 5: The whole story story.
Speaker 4: Hell yeah, but people listening, he drops off a vehicle, they sell them a transmission, then they say, hey, it also has a bad TCM, and they put the TCM in.
Speaker 5: It's still not working.
Speaker 4: Then they put another transmission in because they figure out the first one they sold them was no good.
Speaker 5: Then the vehicle runs.
Speaker 4: Now they're trying to charge them for the TCM and the transmission. What they're saying is the TCM took the tranny out, or the tran he took the TCM out, so they need both.
Speaker 5: Is that possible?
Speaker 6: The TCM can definitely wipe out a transmission and explain why though, Joe, you.
Speaker 18: Know, commit wrong commands. Usually it'll be something in the form of you know, pressure control. But I mean that Toyota went through a huge phase of it for probably about a five year stint where we had known codes pulled up and you just did even question it it needed a TCM when you pulled it up and built it. So, yes, TCMs can definitely caused transmission failure the other way around. Not very likely, uh so, no, not very likely.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 18: So but if they you know, they put transmission in, it still wasn't working. Deducted that, Hey, the TCM caused the lost failure, then yeah, it's entirely possible.
Speaker 4: So the chain went like this though transmission car was still stuck in gear. So it went in originally stuck in fourth gear. Then it goes into the shop, sell them a transmission. It's stuck in first gear, the new transmission. So then they say they need the TCM. Put the TCM in, same things, still stuck in first gear. Put the new transmission in. Everything works fine. So how would you possibly ever know if it needed the TCM?
Speaker 6: Two failure point too far down the pike, and I'm sure.
Speaker 5: All those parts and you don't you don't know.
Speaker 18: But I mean, the likelihood is it was the transmission the whole time they chased their tails on it. So but once they put that thing in the car, it belongs to them.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, yeah, but I hope they do something good. I mean, it's a deal in Doug Store you know what. I hope they just do what's right if they truly needed one. But they had the guy's vehicle three months too, which is not cool.
Speaker 5: Man, three months they had this and they couldn't get it fixed.
Speaker 4: And a lot of that time it was because the original transmission they diagnosed. So once again, I don't know if it needed both, Tom, I don't know if it needed just a transmission, And I don't know.
Speaker 5: If I want to know what happens, let's just ask this bottom line, what happens if you put in something it didn't need, Well, how do you guys handle it?
Speaker 6: You eat it?
Speaker 5: Yeah, you eat it right?
Speaker 4: Or if you didn't send it back yet, you put in the original part.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 18: I mean sometimes there's times where you can you might be able to recover that part. But if you can't, I mean, that's not the customer's responsibility.
Speaker 6: No, not at all.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm glad to hear that now. But sometimes though, hold on, real cock.
Speaker 4: Suzanne had a great question for him too, which was what Suzanne.
Speaker 6: Just with the sub zero temps, any tips with taking care of your car.
Speaker 5: With the cold temps like we're getting here, warming it up a little.
Speaker 6: Bit will definitely help it.
Speaker 18: But I mean, as far as you know, with the cold tamps driving down the road, your cooling system you can actually not work as efficiently as you want it to.
Speaker 6: In other words, you're not going to get heat in the cabin.
Speaker 18: So you know, even just taking a piece of cardboard or chipboard and zip zip tie that thing to the front of your grill to block some of that cold air from coming in, we'll actually help.
Speaker 6: You out there.
Speaker 5: Is there.
Speaker 4: This sounds crazy, and I don't know if you guys ever been there, but I had windshield washer fluid put in at Walmart one time. This is years ago, but up in Rocky Ford, and we were picking up one of our Doberman's, a little puppy. So we we get up there, I'm totally out. It's snowing like crazy, it's slushy. I got to get this stuff and it was freezing. They put stuff in that was probably maybe good down to zero but not negative ten, and it froze and I couldn't use it at all. So we know there's a freezing point on most of the windshield washer stuff.
Speaker 5: What is that?
Speaker 4: But beyond that, is there cooling out there that will freeze it like negative ten or fifteen or that doesn't happen. That's not the coolint How about transmission fluid, any other fluids.
Speaker 18: No, I mean I was going to say longer warm things up, and you know when poor rates are going to move a little slower. That's why doing things like warming it up before you take office, and.
Speaker 6: To warm it up. No, let it sit there in idle, Let it take its time.
Speaker 4: It's so people should do what. Let it warm up, make sure you have cooling.
Speaker 18: If you do have to fill your washer fluid. They do make some that it goes to a lower temperature. Tip so you can get different fluid in Texas than they do here.
Speaker 5: Yeah, because in Texas it's water.
Speaker 6: They're thirty two degrees and it's plod.
Speaker 5: Hawaii it probably legitimately is water.
Speaker 6: Yeah, it's alcohol, but it's just a lower concentrate.
Speaker 4: How about if you have summer stuff in there now and you're half full, is there stuff you can add.
Speaker 6: To mixing up this? Fine?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 18: So you know, if you have a diesel, you know, probably it's a good idea to pour on a bottle of Alliant or some standard im lower that gelling point.
Speaker 5: To the new diesels.
Speaker 4: I mean stuff made in the last four years. Do you still have to plug him in in really bad weather to get him to start?
Speaker 6: You know, you're better off if you do, but you don't have to know. Ok. Yeah, it'll definitely start easier if they're warmed up, if you got that block heater turned on.
Speaker 4: The only thing I well, and that's not true are r V is diesel. But we wouldn't use it this time. But it's always plugged in and it's always got an engine block heater built in. But my John Deere tractor, that's diesel. And what I've learned about that over four or five years in Franktown. When he gets that cold, man, I'll wait for those glow plugs. But there's been a couple of times I gotta pop a little booster on. You would think the battery is going bad, but I don't think so, because it's only at that negative turning so hard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, God, so guys. Bottom line is when it comes to parts, when do you how do you even know what if you did replace it and maybe it did need it and it didn't the old ones gone, you you can't necessarily know that. You know what I'm saying you can't tell if you needed it.
Speaker 6: It can be a challenge, yes, and then the vice versa happens too because we get bad parts, so you replace one and it doesn't fix it. You screw it. So you think you screwed up by putting a transmission like Kia did and find out that, you know, all in all, it is just a bad part. So yeah, parts are there's a challenge, it really is.
Speaker 18: And quality control lately, for probably the last couple of three years, has gone way down the tubes.
Speaker 6: Yep?
Speaker 4: Is that because they've been out forcing to different places. I mean, why would quality go down so far?
Speaker 18: You know, I don't know if it's everybody's short on staff, but yeah, I mean we were talking about it a couple of weeks ago. I had a Dodge truck three times, I've warranted solenoid body and the thing, and we're getting straight from Chrysler.
Speaker 5: Oh wow, And okay, So so there's got to be a certain amount of trust as well. Let's let's face it. I mean, you know, in other words, you you have somebody tell you something and you decide if in fact it's going to work or not. If it doesn't work, it's up to the shop to be honorable on that, or it's up to I don't know. Sometimes think you know, guys, here's another thing we've said before. Sometimes you need loads of things, not just one thing, right.
Speaker 6: No, definitely true, like you fix one of it.
Speaker 5: And it's not your fault. No, and it's not your fault that you know it might need one thing, I mean, excuse me, multiple things, But people sometimes think, well, you might be putting us together, know what I'm saying, How do we really know we need all that? What do you do in that case? I mean to me, it's a matter of it's a matter of trust. There's got to be a certain amount of trust.
Speaker 6: Rights got to be open and honest and just explain as best you can and show them what's going on. That's all you can do, exactly.
Speaker 5: Yep, all right, three O three seven one three eight two five. We have or coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best Roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance checkup free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies. Find out now three oh three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martinez, you're a troubleshooter. Three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five.
Speaker 14: Hey Lee, haven't heard from you.
Speaker 5: In a while, you scoundrel. What's going on?
Speaker 15: I know I've been retired and trying to make money to keep living and paying the bills.
Speaker 13: You know, it's just okay.
Speaker 15: But I heard you know you're crying. And because he needed people talk about autimony, Well I got one for you. Maybe you already know it.
Speaker 17: I don't know.
Speaker 15: You guys know a lot, and I'm sure you've already heard of this, But I discovered it. And it used to be two years is now us now are used to be twenty four thousand miles. Now it's thirty six thousand miles. And this is Christian Brothers thirty six thousand mile now that put it or for ever, there's no limited.
Speaker 5: I don't know what you're talking about. I don't. Just helped me a little more. Lee, I don't know what Lee Lee, Lee, Lee Lee start from the beginning, man, I don't know. I have any idea what you're talking about. Are you talking about the warranty on their own repairs?
Speaker 15: Yeah, warranties on any repairs you get done in the In the thing, there are a couple of caveats, obviously, I don't know what they're not.
Speaker 5: They're not major.
Speaker 15: Any work that they do.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but warrant it now plea for example, thousand miles.
Speaker 4: Shardan Auto Tech has three year thirty six thousand miles nationwide on everything.
Speaker 5: Yep, everything, Well, I don't know.
Speaker 15: Christian Brothers is around quite a while, but I'm talking this is forever.
Speaker 5: If you're retired, does she works for Christians?
Speaker 15: Wait, and you're not going to drive thirty six thousand miles in the next ten years. I do work up there, I have work done. It's warranted period. I don't even worry about the mileage.
Speaker 5: Help Lee with Christian Brothers. By the way, with Christian Lee with Christian Brothers, how long is their warranty? Forever? Okay?
Speaker 15: Thirty six?
Speaker 5: Don any repair that they do well any report I do, and even.
Speaker 17: Most of the parts.
Speaker 15: But there's some caveats.
Speaker 5: With brake pads are on.
Speaker 4: So brake pads are warrantied forever, and air filters warranteed forever.
Speaker 5: Your oil change warranteed forever.
Speaker 15: I didn't think you said that.
Speaker 5: I didn't say that.
Speaker 15: Well, Cats, I don't know what the caveats are, but they're warrant I've had. I've had to bring work back up there and they tell me that. I'm I'm bringing my credit card in the paper order, my cash paperwork. They say, Lee, there's no charge. You were under warranty, and I said, well, that was four years ago. He said, hey, there's.
Speaker 8: No time limit on it.
Speaker 4: Our warranty lasts for three years or thirty six thousand miles, whichever comes first. That's literally on their website.
Speaker 15: Well, call the Christian Brothers right by my house. I'm I'm uh uh, don't exactly they're they're on balls and sims and the guy, I'll tell you, Chris, you just on the phone.
Speaker 2: I had.
Speaker 15: I had to verify it because I didn't quite remember any exact details, and he just told me again except that it used to be twenty four thousand miles and unlimited time.
Speaker 6: Sure, and there's a lot of parts around the town or lifetime warranty too. Most of the water pumps we put on our lifetime, most of the alternators or lifetime. So yeah, lifetime's not unusual.
Speaker 15: Yeah, I just well, I don't know, man, maybe not, but it to me for somebody that's retired. And I used to drive a lot of miles, okay, I mean I was a professional truck driver's sohone a lot of miles. But I don't drive that many miles now. So now that warranty really shines in my eyes. I don't care about his twenty four thousand or trotter or whatever the mile it is, because I'm not going to get there with it.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, okay, I.
Speaker 15: Just I didn't want to let you know that. And it was Christian Brothers. You're looking at Christian Brother's side. This is the one on sims and bowls.
Speaker 5: Well, they're all loaned down. They're all loaned by the same concerts for franchises. Oh, they are franchises. Franchises, they're all franchised.
Speaker 6: What they what did they warranty for you?
Speaker 15: Well, anything, you get No, what did you just.
Speaker 6: Have warrantyed that you had to put your credit card away for?
Speaker 5: Oh? Yeah, good question.
Speaker 15: It was here on my bronco. I don't have I never have had much warranty work on. I got one hundred and eighty one thousand miles on it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, smell, I smell a weird story.
Speaker 8: It's not a weird.
Speaker 5: I got it. Okay, well you have I don't dragon. No, no, it didn't come to my boss. Hi doubt? Did you take Mark down? Did we even have delay again?
Speaker 12: Or not?
Speaker 6: We're good?
Speaker 5: Oh my god, people, I apologize for all the vulgarity ushering out of Mark's mouth. Marks anyway, we had to nick.
Speaker 6: We'll bring them back later. All right? Three? Was they able to get warranty? That's all?
Speaker 5: Well, listen, it's car day. Let's talk about one Clear Choice Garage Doors. I love these people, I really do. They're so cool. They'll do adjustments the doors, any part of the door itself, any part of the opener. They have new openers, a Wi Fi openers, a cell phone operated uh time to close, features, battery backups. One clear Choice Doors dot com for everything they offer and all of their prices. One clear choice doors dot com. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Wait time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one. Help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martino, you're a troubleshooter three three seven to one three talk listen Genesis Total Exterior. Somebody texted me and said, what about the mold mitigation? Do they have to come to the house. Yes, they have these tests. They do. They don't have you do them. They do them and the mitigation. Here's the important part though, they're honest about it. Okay, that's the important part. Genesis Tootalexteriors dot com. And then I have a text here for Kevin. Kevin, do you offer tow services to your facility if they can't drive the car?
Speaker 6: Yeah, we have a very large toe service we use. Yeah. Yeah, they're all over Denver.
Speaker 5: Okay, okay, that's good. Three oh three seven one three two five five Jeff Fick. Is there a core value given to transmissions when you remove in exchange?
Speaker 18: Almost one hundred percent of the time. There are exceptions, but as a general rule, yes, there is.
Speaker 5: They want to know if they want to keep the core. Does that make a big difference in the price.
Speaker 18: It really depends on what your unit is. You know, some of them are only a few hundred bucks. Some of them can be a couple of thousand.
Speaker 5: Okay, wow. And why is that? Because they use them to do the next transmission? Right?
Speaker 6: Correct, So it's more of an encouragement to get have you return it. They'd rather have the core than have the core money.
Speaker 5: Okay, next text. I got this one a while ago and I just found it. You guys are always I don't think they mean this, are always dissing the DVM trans I know they don't mean that DVM transmissions or eight what are they? Easy trans Yeah, and I know that's what they mean because they said, you know the one that has hardly any years. Does that mean to avoid them completely? Or are they all bad? What's the story?
Speaker 18: Some are better than others, I mean, particularly when it comes to Nissan. You know, we pick on Nissan because they aren't.
Speaker 5: Are they Are they going to be the standard? I mean, are basically most cars going to them?
Speaker 18: You know, in the passenger vehicle yes, some of the smaller crossovers yes, But when you get into the truck market, they you know, they haven't been able to prove their ability yet in order to introduce them.
Speaker 5: So what would you do if you had one to keep it going the longest?
Speaker 6: There's nothing you can do that you wouldn't do to a conventional transmission. I mean you just, okay, do a service. That's all you can.
Speaker 5: If you treat them both the same, If you treat them both the same, I'm asking straight up, will a conventional transmission last.
Speaker 6: Longer in most cases? Yes? Okay?
Speaker 5: And why I thought the one would less moving parts would last long.
Speaker 18: Well, you know, if they made better parts for him, then that might actually work that way. But you know, either the technology is not there at the engineering level or the profitability is not in there in order to make them durable up to state.
Speaker 5: So bottom line is is that you know, they they'll they're not all failures. But if you had your choice, you would go with conventional.
Speaker 6: I would.
Speaker 5: Wow. Okay, I mean, listen, this is a guy who builds now of the those CVTs, which ones are the best.
Speaker 6: Probably Suber.
Speaker 18: They're actually pretty big beefy parts that are inside there. We don't see a whole lot of failures in them. I've probably replaced two or three. The rest of the time, it's usually doing voild bodies and or cork converters.
Speaker 5: How do you know if your car has a CBT? How do you even know? Does it say on the sticker CBT? I mean really, how do you know?
Speaker 6: Well, because it doesn't shift.
Speaker 18: I mean that you'll have when you're taking off, It'll just hold those RPMs and you'll you'll watch the tackle up and down as the pulleye expand or constrict. But you're not gonna have a shrift.
Speaker 5: I mean, I guess we can just go online and research. But what I'm saying is is that you just asked, does that have a CVT transmission or something? I don't know.
Speaker 6: Yeh, as long as your dealer knows what he's talking about. Yeah, because most people can't they don't know.
Speaker 5: They really don't know. They don't the same with if it has a chain or a belt, exact timing chain or a belt.
Speaker 6: I mean, yep, and.
Speaker 5: Okay, So what's the biggest danger with a CBT Is it self adjusting? Does it have intelligence? Does it have a control module? What about?
Speaker 18: I mean, all vehicles today are pretty intelligent, so they do adapt for wear and tear to some extent that leaven adapt to a particular driver. You know, Kevin might have a timid foot, and you know whereas I drive with my foot down all the time, the computer will learn that. That's why occasionally, you know, if you let your car to your your wife or your son or something for a couple of days and you get it back, it just doesn't quite feel the same. It probably doesn't because the computer has started for those shift adapts and for spark curves and everything else to adapt to that driver.
Speaker 5: This is this is a direct text based on what we're talking about. This came in quickly at my Google number, and I should just give that number out people. It's seven four, seven nine nine nine fifty to eighty. They want to know this, then, hold on, where the heck did it. Go shoot, I'll find it and come back. But when we were talking about CBTs and something, they wanted to know. Oh, they want to know what kind of transmissions, if any, do electric cars have. Aren't they really constant velocity?
Speaker 6: No, they're direct drive, so there is no transmission.
Speaker 5: So there's no transmission. There's no transmission. Nope. They had the pumpkin though, right or not?
Speaker 18: So there were some the day, yes, so where you had a single motor from the side, so they have basically a gearing settle.
Speaker 5: But if we looked under Marx models, if we looked under Marx models, we'll see a motor driving the front and the back right.
Speaker 18: Yeah, probably easier to see Nelson And there's no transmission.
Speaker 6: What's that?
Speaker 4: I hit a rock the other day so I knocked out some of my dad under. I don't even it's just this tectaastic piece. So we got to get it up.
Speaker 5: In the air and jeffski eyeball for me. Oh my goodness, I don't think any right, we have more coming, right? Fine, yeah, go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're contenth time for an insurance check up free, no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot Com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here, three oh three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. What's on your mind? I want to bring some stuff up. Uh, and then of course we'll take all of your problems, questions, complaints. There's never a rhyme or reason for calls in this show. But anyway, I find this incredibly eye opening. So if you took auto mechanics, would you say they have more trust than distrust in the marketplace in general? Regarded very high, very low, or average? What would you say? The majority of people rule them as high trusted, low trusted, or average trusted, And that would be an auto mechanic.
Speaker 18: I'd probably say on the lower end, and all actuality, it's just been a built stereotype over so many years. You know, once you've gotten an established relationship with somebody, then you know who you can trust. But I mean, I can't tell you how many women come in and say, well, I'm a normal woman. I don't want to get taken advantage of. You know, I don't want you talking about it.
Speaker 5: You'd be surprised to know. This is a massive survey by Gallup and thirty three percent of the people highly regard auto mechanics as trustworthy. That's an all time high. Thirty three percent. Now twelve percent regard them as dirt bags. That's my words, not Gallup. Gallup just calls it very low trust. Okay, but here's the really cool thing. Fifty two percent say, hey, they're pretty good. So you really if you take the average the fit, I mean, if you take the fifty two percent who really say they're pretty good, right, They're not excellent, they're not bad, And then you take thirty three percent, that's basically eighty five percent of the population who don't think your dirt bags. I mean, I find that pretty cool. And just as a measure, you measure higher than judges and clergy. Do you know that with clergy only thirty percent of the people find clergy to be highly regarded. Twenty percent say they're dirt bags and they're okay. Now, what do you think about? What do you think?
Speaker 6: That's a question.
Speaker 7: Don't you don't what don't you think it would be interesting when it comes to clergy to divide it into priests, rabbis and and i'men and see if it's consistent through all three major religious groups.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it would be Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're content. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three oh three seven seven one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three oh three nine two zero sixteen twenty two.
Speaker 1: Yeah, rit need advice so you don't have come running sious as fast as we can. Shooter's gonna help coming man.
Speaker 3: This is the Troubleshooter Show.
Speaker 5: Now, Tom Martino, Hello Tom Martino here, Welcome to the show. Three O three seven one three talk seven, one, three, eight, two five five. Hey, it's our day, and as car days go, we haven't had as many calls as usual, but we do have. We do have, of course, a lot going on texting and email wise. I've been trying to parse through. Plus we've been having overall general discussions. And someone told me basically in a long email. But I'm gonna summarize it that TikTok is one of the biggest dangers to American security. I mean, so I'm not Look, look, people have all kinds of views on it, but do you realize there are millions and millions of young people that actually make a living on it. It's their sole source of income. I didn't realize how many people make money. Oh, big time man. And of course, do you remember one of the earliest TikTok stars, Charlie was it? Forgive me for not knowing your name on not a TikTok star, but demeyo, Charlie. You've heard of her, right, guys, I mean somebody has. It's like big time. I mean, she makes millions a year, millions. So is there a way to thwart it? Yes? There is? Oh it's Charlie d Amelia. She has one hundred and fifty five point eight million followers. Knie Lame has well there's sixties. Who is Cabaine Lame one hundred and sixty. Yeah, that's what I just Yeah, maybe I didn't I said Charlie's second. Yeah, yeah, Now Charlie was the original though, the original Big Beast. Now, speaking of beasts, there's a guy named mister Beast, and it's amazing what without the input of these these fellas. By the way, Tom, I know I love Do you know what mister beasts? I just want to say this. I love Zach King. I actually follow him. Okay, go ahead. Do you know what mister Beast does? He gives away stuff?
Speaker 6: Right, Oh, it's amazing what he does.
Speaker 7: He'll have a couple of people come in and the third person will win forty automobiles or if you can hold your hand on a private jet the longest out of twenty five people, he gives you the long the jet. He gives away millions and millions of dollars every year.
Speaker 5: Yeah. So yeah, And there's also but there's the the the top five, our top six. They make millions of dollars a year on this Now of course, even minor players make money, and it's really usurping YouTube. It's becoming I mean, it has become the biggest social media site. But I heard that you can thwart the ban. Let's just say Trump doesn't do anything. I don't know if Trump has the authority to do away this. This is a law, right, wasn't this passed by this ban?
Speaker 6: So it goes.
Speaker 4: It has to go away on the nineteenth they did that last ditch effort with the Supreme Court. But my understanding is on the nineteenth that's it. I mean, Congress passed it and then Biden signed it, and come the twentieth, after the inauguration, I would assume Trump might be able to do something, but I have no idea what kind of an executive order would overturn Congress.
Speaker 5: I was, here's what you cannot an executive order cannot overturn legislative action. Well that's arguablow, But yeah, it's not. What do you mean it?
Speaker 4: Well, I mean, you know, Biden Biden do any executive order where they no longer had to remain in Mexico?
Speaker 5: Why waiting for asylum?
Speaker 4: How it was during the Trump years when he had an executive order that changed that. That basically changed everything, and it overrode our current laws.
Speaker 5: But I don't I don't know. I mean, I don't know. I don't think Biden. I think Biden reversed Trump's executive orders. I think it was executive order versus executive order. I don't think it was law versus executive order. I mean it could, but I don't think so. From what I'm reading here is legislative matters have to be overturned legislatively. You can't just or of course, before they become a law, a president can refuse to sign the law, veto it, and then you can try to over it. They can try to overpower your veto but basically they say he doesn't have the power. But we'll see. Now here's what I'm no Mark, you first introduced me years ago to VPNs, so you can actually sign on is if you're in Italy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, VPI they're very interesting. And let me tell you why. I've learned a lot about this. I have a VPN.
Speaker 5: I used an. It stands for virtual private Networks Go Ahead.
Speaker 4: So what it does is it's mostly to hide yourself for whatever reason. It doesn't matter good dubious it doesn't matter to hide yourself. So the one I use, which is PIA Private Internet Access, I can log into it and choose virtually any country or most of them, and then I can choose any state. I can do whatever I want. And then let's say I do that. Let's say there's a boxing match that I want to see. In the United States, it's on pay per view, but in Mexico you can watch it.
Speaker 5: For free over the airwave, So I.
Speaker 4: Could log in on Mexico, find a local TV station that has streaming, and watch the fight. So there's an example of using it. Some people use it to download movies. They might have a movie collection and basically they'll log onto the VPN so no one knows who they are are when they're downloading movies, so they don't get kicked off their internet provider. But VPNs aren't nearly as good as what you're thinking. If you're on something like FanDuel or any of these betting sites, I don't care which one it is. There's other ways to verify where you are besides a VPN, so there's a good chance a VPN would not work for TikTok. For the average show, there's always people that know how to get around stuff, but for the average person, they if it's anywhere designed like an app, like a FanDuel or anything else, you simply can't do it. I can log into Colorado from Wyoming on FanDuel, but I can't bet because.
Speaker 5: It knows I'm on Wyoming.
Speaker 4: Even if I log in using my phone on a VPN to Colorado, it simply knows where I'm at because because my phone, of course has a GPS, and when I agreed to the terms of that app, it says we will judge your location not by your Internet IP but by your real location.
Speaker 5: Of the phone.
Speaker 4: So you're not going to be able to get on TikTok, is what I'm telling you, tom Okay bottom line, Wow, I didn't know you were such a TikTok fan.
Speaker 5: No, not at all, Not at all, Mark, it's not the fan of TikTok. It's the concept of banning stuff. But I'll admit I don't know the extent of the alleged threat. I think it's pretty good thought. Yeah, and it may be. All I've done is I really haven't immersed myself in the news of the day about it, Like what exactly are they gathering. Apparently they're attaching themselves to anything like they high value targets. But they have identified people that they have turned to literally spy. I didn't know that.
Speaker 4: I mean, I ran a campaign. Listen to this. I'll tell you how strong it was. They ran a campaign when this first went to Congress, before it got passed, they went out to every TikTok member telling you to call your congressman. So you had the Chinese government literally telling millions, if not a billion, people to contact your congressmen and make sure they don't ban TikTok because they want to take.
Speaker 5: Away your rights and take away everything.
Speaker 4: They did that, then I also want you to think of something else in China right now, there's no Facebook, there's no Twitter. The Chinese government will not allow any of that stuff unless they agree to give the Chinese all the information.
Speaker 5: And of course these people aren't going to do it. I think at one point.
Speaker 4: Zuckerberg did do it with Facebook up to like eight or nine, but then it got so crazy he just stopped jumping through Chinese hoops. So my body, I guess what I'm saying is if they don't allow our companies over there, why the hell would we allow their company over here?
Speaker 5: Okay? Tit for Ted got it? Yeah? Or Triff Okay, what do you think guys? I mean, I don't think we're in the age group that cares, right, maybe we're not even the ones.
Speaker 7: But you know, TikTok for ses not being banned, just the ownership. If if an American with a buy it, whether it's you know, Elon Musk or one of the Sharks, TikTok won't be banned, so that they're really not banning.
Speaker 5: Any of those. Are you know actually anybody looking at buying it?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Kevin County from Shark Tank and definitely Elon h is interested. Sure, but I hear it will be banned on January nineteenth unless the popular social media platform cuts ties with this China based parent company. So there is no way it's not going down on the nineteenth. I wouldn't know how that happens. And so for people out there going, well, how would they do that, Well, there's so many different ways. They can go to AT and T, they can go to Verizon, and they can go to Google. They can go and tell Google that and Apple anybody that has this app on their phone, you've got to kill the app, and they have the power to just pull.
Speaker 5: The app right from your phone. Believe it or not.
Speaker 4: Your carrier can do it, the Google store can do it, the I Store can do it, or whatever the hell is they called.
Speaker 5: There is a million ways to make it disappear anyway. Byte Dance is the owner, right and they say they're not selling, well they're going to lose all that revenue. Well see does bike Dance get to own a minority share? I mean, what were the I'm curious if they.
Speaker 4: Don't shut it down on the nineteenth, how that works because the band is supposed to go into effect on the nineteenth, come hell or high water. So if they don't ban it, what happens, because I mean, that's like a big issue right there.
Speaker 5: Now, there is big discussion in Washington the FAA rulemaking Committee on what to do with UAS or B the LOS basically unmanned aircraft beyond visual line of sight. So I'm going to talk about that coming up, and of course your calls take priority three three seven to one to three. Talk Andrew. He has an issue on litigation, MAC has evaluation, so MAC will take you first. Go ahead, What is going on with your twenty sixteen Toyota.
Speaker 19: I'm looking to sell my dad's twenty sixteen Tacoma private party, and it's got sixty eight thousand miles, and you said to call for values. I just wanted to see what your opinion was. Obviously an Ada, and we'll give you the values. But it's a Tacoma, so somebody will pay a little bit more for it.
Speaker 6: I just wanted to get to the car.
Speaker 19: Guys in the opinion.
Speaker 5: Well, also it has low how many miles?
Speaker 19: Sixty eight?
Speaker 6: He's retired, doesn't drive it.
Speaker 4: I think petty details would be petty details will tell him exactly what it's worth, real numbers.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but but wait a minute, man, this is a gem. Guys, this isn't sixty eight thousand miles pretty low?
Speaker 6: Most definitely?
Speaker 5: Guy?
Speaker 6: Oh yeah, for seven year old cars.
Speaker 5: And it's and it's a Tacoma. So the Tacoma is the one under the tundra, right, the little one. Yep? Yes, okay, hold on, let's let's uh, let's talk about it and we'll come right back to you. I'm Tom martine Go with a sure thing Denver's best roofer Excel Roofing dot Com.
Speaker 14: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance check cup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate man dot com to list your home with remaxs Alliance three three nine two zero sixteen twenty two all right, mac from what I can find online in all sources, a twenty sixteen Toyota Tacoma has an unusual value.
Speaker 6: Bro.
Speaker 5: It can be because of your condition. They say a minimum for that car is going to be like twenty grand minimum and you can get up to thirty. What what condition is it in?
Speaker 13: It's in the maculate condition. He's retired and he uh.
Speaker 5: Okay, any any packages?
Speaker 6: Trim?
Speaker 5: What trim packages?
Speaker 13: It's I think it's SR five. It's not the off road one. It's it's a different version, and it's two door access cab, and it's blue automatic.
Speaker 5: Is it all drive? Is it will drive? Yeah?
Speaker 6: They're all four will drive.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Okay, So in that case, I'm going to cars with the.
Speaker 6: Two door in that trim. It's probably towards the bottom end of that.
Speaker 5: Okay, Uh, they say there have been they have listen, they have sold between nine and twenty seven to five depending on the mileage, but in the Denver area the minimum they have sold for is twenty three eight to thirty nine hundred.
Speaker 6: Okay, do you already have any Do you already have a buyer lined up for this thing?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 5: I do not. I mean, how much you want for it? Man? How much you want for it?
Speaker 13: He's hearing impaired, So I'm his son. I'm going to help him.
Speaker 5: He wants to buy. How much you want for it?
Speaker 13: I can give you my number off airtime.
Speaker 5: Well, I'm not looking at it, but I mean, if somebody calls, give your number off the air, and basically I would say, guys, I don't know what you think. I think.
Speaker 18: And see what he can do over there. The flat rate price for rod to consign it. He takes care of everything. It's a safe deal. You know, you're going to get your money. I don't know why you deal with the hassle. Yeah, consignment. It's a great idea.
Speaker 5: You know, right, Call Rodney over at JFR cars, fr cars, Okay, yeah, and she'll give you the number and it's Rodney. He we deal with over there. Thanks man, let's talk to Let's talk to Andrew. Andrew, what's what's up?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Hey, how you doing?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Good?
Speaker 2: Good good?
Speaker 20: In twenty ten f one fifty and uh, the guy I bought it from replaced all the coils and did everything, and that's still missing. And I took it down the missing.
Speaker 5: Is it missing? Is it missing all the time?
Speaker 2: Oh?
Speaker 6: Yeah, it is now?
Speaker 5: And then so you started up and it and it just starts and can it can you drive?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 20: Can you can still drive it? It's just just bounce. He starts bouncing on you when you put it, when you put it and drive or reverse. And the funny thing is I took it to the shop two days ago and guy put it on the scan, scanned it and set everything from the catalytic converter on up, and then I left the shop and then it just started running fine.
Speaker 6: So it was perfect.
Speaker 20: In this morning, I got into it and I went to leave to go to work, and it started doing the same thing.
Speaker 5: So I don't know, it sounds to me like a computer issue. If it's just haphazardly misfiring. But guys, you're the experts.
Speaker 6: What do you think, what what codes are you getting if you can't code when it's missing and just a misfire code, or do you get other codes?
Speaker 20: It could So there was something with the timing sensor fall I didn't I didn't get the numbers.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you got what they call phasers, and the timing chains inside that motor can be starting to stick, so they stick in one direction or another, and it's that's where you start getting the misfires from.
Speaker 20: So what would like intermediately?
Speaker 6: Yes, it could be how many miles around this?
Speaker 20: Uh hundred and forty two?
Speaker 6: Yeah that's about right. Yeah, yeah, what would it?
Speaker 5: Man?
Speaker 6: What's the thing you end up changing about the timing chain and the phasers? Timing chain and phasers inside the front of the engine has a timing chain, two phasers, four phasers spending the motor. Uh you know, but it's it's a chronic Ford problem. Yeah, especially with fifty thousand miles.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So what's what's worst case scenario? Repairs?
Speaker 20: You probably about it was running, it's running great, and then all of a sudden it just has sat for overnight and then.
Speaker 5: Hold on Andrew.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you could be anywhere two to three grand. You know, you may try some oil condition or see if that'll help clean it up, you know, like b GM away or anything like that may help prolong it. But it's inevitable on those motors, is it.
Speaker 5: Man, that's a lot of money, that is.
Speaker 20: Yeah, well the guy was talking, it'd be uh, why it's just to swap the engines on. But that be something to look into.
Speaker 5: Or just oh no, no, why would you do?
Speaker 6: All of that? Depend on what's you get a motor?
Speaker 5: For sure? Yeah? Sure? Really, well eventually the same thing.
Speaker 6: Well, if you get a rebuilt motor and put it in there, no, you're way ahead of the game. I wouldn't put another used one in.
Speaker 20: Yeah, correct, because then the motor would be warranteed.
Speaker 8: Right.
Speaker 5: Okay, if it's two or three great is god? What would it be to rebuild the motor?
Speaker 6: He has eight to ten probably.
Speaker 5: How about to move in exchange?
Speaker 6: So that's all together? Yeah, that's all in one.
Speaker 20: Okay, sorry, bet j sts some to g and see if we can get a couple couple more hundred.
Speaker 6: Miles out try that first? Sure?
Speaker 20: Okay, what was the name of that it's called.
Speaker 6: A BG product and it's the motor oil additive or the initials are m A. You can get it on Amazon, you get it NAPA, a lot of different places.
Speaker 20: All right, I'll try that. I was maybe thinking maybe it was something, you know, just maybe like the ignition.
Speaker 5: Maybe, Hey, Kevin, is it possible? Is it possible that that a BG product could clean it up and he won't need the repair.
Speaker 6: It would prolong it. He will need the repair eventually, but it is sludge that contributes to it. So if he can clean that up, he make it some miles before he has to do it.
Speaker 5: Yeah, how many miles?
Speaker 6: He's probably on borrowed time now. But you know, if he can clean it up and get another five ten thousand, another year out of it for he has to do it, why not?
Speaker 5: All right now, JP, you have a comment on the TikTok band. Go ahead?
Speaker 17: Yeah, guys, said, good afternoon. Just a couple of things, and I got most of this off summary from the Supreme Court ruling this morning. But the biggest issue with TikTok's ownership is the potential for accumulating data off of people's phones, and sixty three percent of the US population from twelve to seventeen years old has that app on their phone. The concern is that China will be accumulating data on those people, and twenty years from now, when they're elected to be in Congress or they're in the military, they could come back and blackmail those people with all the information that they've got on them.
Speaker 5: Sure can.
Speaker 17: And the other aspect, Mark was saying that what happens if they don't get rid of it on the nineteenth What I had heard was there's a five thousand dollars a day per user fine for any corporation that supports that platform after the nineteenth, So it would turn out to be a one point seven billion dollars a day fine to continue to operate that platform on your service.
Speaker 5: Wow, that's a lot of money.
Speaker 17: Well, and that's why they're saying that the legal departments of these corporations just can tell we can't even afford to wait one day in case the nineteenth, the twentieth, which new president comes in. That's one point seven billion if they decide to come after us. And there's a five year stature of the limitations on that. So even if Trump were not to go after them for the fines the next president could.
Speaker 4: I don't know how, Like I don't know how Trump could do anything to change this right now besides negotiate something the enforcement of those fines. Though, as we know just from the student loan debacle where some people I ended up paying for their college, we know the president can do certain things even if the Supreme Court rules one way, you're not supposed to do that, but they still do it. So I guess he could tell the Justice Department. Just like Biden told the Justice Department to go after Trump, he could tell the Justice Department not to go after TikTok. So I mean, I don't know how any of that's going to unfold. Did you notice Tom.
Speaker 5: How I got some political shots in there. We gotgage Yeah, go ahead.
Speaker 17: Included language that the executive Branch could offer a ninety day waiver extension if there was substantial progress in the transaction of selling the corporations, and.
Speaker 5: There hasn't been any.
Speaker 17: And the Biden administration doesn't think there's been enough progress. They questioned whether they would have the authority to.
Speaker 21: Do it now.
Speaker 17: Trump tomorrow or on Monday may know that there is substantial progress, but it's still one day after the after the band should have started, and that puts everybody at risk of a one point seven billion dollars fine if they operate one day into it.
Speaker 5: Got it, We got to take a break. I'm Tom Martinez three oh three seven one three talks seven one three eight two five five. Don't forget Compass Insurance Group for insurance checkups three oh three nine nine six nine thousand. Get the best prices or know that you're paying great prices three oh three nine nine six nine thousand. Go with a sure thing Denvers best Roofer Excel roofing dot com. You don't pay a cent until you're ten. Time for an insurance check up free, no obligation. In comparison, call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three all three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three all three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martine here three all three seven one three talk seven one three eight two five five. Randolph has a comment on fix at twenty four to seven. Go ahead, Randy Randolph.
Speaker 2: Yes, I just had twenty four to seven at my house. Over the years I've I've had a lot of their competitors. Every other one, instead of today, had always tried to sell me something. The last one wanted me to get a whole new furnace. These guys, they spent an hour and a half scrubbing and gotten everything immaculate. And then at the end, I said, so, what's wrong and they said nothing, Everything looks great. Have a great day. I am so impressed with them. That's why I'm taking the time to call. I want to thank you, oh man them and they are outstanding. I can't say enough.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're good people.
Speaker 2: Pognician with Steven and his associate was I hope I'm pronouncing that right. But anyway, they could not have been better. Even offered to buy him lunch and they said no, thank you. But I want to really thank you for that because they were wonderful.
Speaker 5: You know, Randolph Randolph, I do believe in them and my sponsors in general, that that extreme clean is incredible. Now here's the good news. Here's what they did. They may have lost money, and I don't mean that in a bad way. But you know, they do way more work than that calls that than they charge for that call. And here's the bottom line thing.
Speaker 2: You know why because I'm I'm by their membership group. So oh my god, I forgot that I was a member and then they came out there.
Speaker 5: Oh my gosh. You know what. Now here's the thing. But they know when they do a service like this, whether it's for the thirty nine bucks or for the membership, they know that now when you need something, you're not going to hesitate to call him, are you?
Speaker 2: Absolutely? In fact, that's told me that when it comes time for my air conditioner, they've got the job. And if anything does go wrong, they're the people I'm going to be dealing with.
Speaker 5: That's so good. You're going to our conditioner this weekend.
Speaker 2: No I'm not. But here's the I am. I am months down the road and I want them to handle everything.
Speaker 5: I love it. They sponsor. H my god. Yeah, he's this. This is the real deal. And you know what, here's the thing. You know, I got to tell you story. So years and years and years ago, I didn't do commercials, many many, many many years ago. Then business, the business change right.
Speaker 4: And well, hold on, I've always wanted to ask you this. I'm pretty sure I know the answer. But when you were with certain news stations on TV, you really weren't allowed to do spots, right.
Speaker 5: No, that's not exactly true. What it was is this. When I was on Channel four, they didn't they didn't want me to do any TV spots. The radio spots they kind of just didn't really address. Okay, I mean I got paid to do spots as long as it didn't filter into my TV work, they were fine with it. But I didn't do them for another reason. No one wanted me to do them. And they didn't want me to do them because they knew when I do commercials or when I get calls, that if I recommend somebody, there's going to be hell to pay if something goes wrong. When they were afraid of inviting negative calls and backfiring because truly, I see when people have a problem with somebody who advertises on Channel nine or Channel four or somewhere else, they don't call Channel nine and complain about that company. They call the company because they don't associate Channel nine with a particular person. But when I do the commercial it's me, so they call me. So I put a personal spin on commercials now and it wasn't just like and I hate to say this, but a talent meaning. And they're all very good, by the way, but they do talk shows about shows about other things, and they're not consumer advocates. When I do a talk show about stuff and then advertise that stuff that has a real, real, real deep connection and it also has potential for abuse. I mean, if I'm telling you this is how you get this done, this is what you should do, this is what you shouldn't do, and then I also tell a company that can do it. If I wanted to be a crooked bastard, it could be terrible. There could be terrible recommendations and people a lot of them would trust me, but that trust would only go it would run out without credibility. You don't go forty five years recommending bad people. So what we do is is I developed doing spots for only people that agreed in writing that if anything went wrong and I thought they did anything wrong, they would change it. Nobody does that. Okay, that was my condition. If you want to advertise with me and I tell you to reverse it or not to do it or refund. You have to do whatever I ask, unquestionably, because I can't have people being even thinking they're being cheated. But that doesn't mean I saw with the consumer every time either. So the bottom line is this, I started doing this kind of endorsement years ago, and instead of turning backfiring, businesses loved it because they measured up. And in fact, that's the way the model has been ever since. But one thing I'll tell you for sure, you can't lie and get away with it for long. You can't be a bad company and get away with it for long. The truth comes out all the time, all the time. You can't hide it. So you know, we've had over the years, maybe a handful of people here and there that have tried to BSUs that said they were good people. We've also had mark as you know, really good people when they started out and they got in trouble. They got too big too fast. You know, there's no perfection in business. There's only striving for perfection. And then there's other people. They're victim to circumstances.
Speaker 4: We happen to be talking about uh neo orthodonics I think yesterday, and they had to file chapter well, they filed chapter eleven and it looks like it converted to a seven and they're gone.
Speaker 5: But really, the nail in their coffin.
Speaker 4: In fact, like I said yesterday, the coffin and the nail in the coffin, I think was covid AT that shut down a lot of things like that.
Speaker 5: I know, I know. Anyway, we have more coming up on the Troubleshooter Show. Go with a sure thing Denver's Best roofer Excel Roofing dot com.
Speaker 14: You don't pay a cent until you're content.
Speaker 5: Time for an insurance checkup free no obligation comparison call Compass Insurance paying too much your coverage at dozens of insurance companies find out now three O three seven to seven to one help. You'll think you're his only customer when you choose Frank durand the real estate Man dot com to list your home with Remax Alliance three three nine two zero sixteen twenty two. Hi Tom Martina, your Troubleshooter three zero three seven one three talk. Let's go to Elliott. Elliott, Welcome to the show. What's happening?
Speaker 21: Well, I heard a gentleman talking about twenty four to seven and she was very pleased with them. And this wasn't recent, but they have been out to my place before. They looked at my furnace and my air conditioner too, and everything. Yes, everything's true. They they come in, they get the job done. They I mean, they're polite. They wear the little booties, you know, so they don't reach v floor, you know. I mean, they're very respectful, very nice. I think the guy that the tech that came out, his name was Bill. But I was able to get in on a couple of your specials, you know that you had, you know, where they come out and and it's it's a deal, you know. I think it was like a twenty nine dollars, you know, and they you spent about an hour and a half down there in the base, I know, Ernest, you know, I couldn't believe it. And they vacuum everything, wipe everything down, clean it, take everything apart, put it back in and just you know, it's like thank you, you know, and it's like twenty nine dollars and it's just no.
Speaker 5: You know, Elliott. Yeah, and twenty nine is their special special and it's usually thirty nine and even that is steal. But here's what I want to tell you, Elliott, they know they did that, and they know if a friend or a neighbor or yourself ever needs something, you're going to remember.
Speaker 21: That recommended them and told them here's who you call. And just such a such a good experience, you know, not getting kind of pushed into a corner. Oh well you need this now, and we have this switch and this wire, and it was just straightforward. They were done and it's like thank you, good day, and it's like, damn.
Speaker 5: Thank you, brother. I appreciate the information man that's fixing twenty four cents. We believe in our sponsors, that's the whole deal. We believe in what we do. Don't forget referral Liss dot com for great people, referral Lis dot com, and don't forget to save all your problems for me,