Speaker 1: Here we go with the Minnesota Goodbye. We're gonna start off with an email dive right in from Brianna, our show secretary who mails out staff writer stickers. And we actually we gave out she was on the show yesterday, I think, and we said, give your Instagram a shout out, and she said, oh, it's Brianna Boley and she said, I got one whopping follower. Well, there's no surprise because nobody knows how to spell your name, so that's it. It's Bree. I mean, if I spell your name, you'll get a lot more followers. But when you say, like follow me Brianna Bully, well I wouldn't know how to spell that myself, so I will go ahead and spell it for you. B r e A n n A b o U l e y. And she is six foot two of.
Speaker 2: Of happiness, of smiles. She's so Brandon's like one of the sweetest people. Which really do we call her Brian or Briell? Herself secretary Brie So I don't know if she prefers one or an other.
Speaker 1: I took her flying. I took her staff writer stickers a couple of three weeks ago, and I said, well, I can mail him to you, but better yet, I'll just fly up to Buffalo meet me at the airport. So her and her husband came by and he videotaped as she got to the airplane and we went flying. So shout out Secretary Brie. She said, you're short on emails, so I'm doing my part. I've already recommended the documentary Amber, The Girl Behind the Alert on Peacock, but it got me thinking, Dave, do you recall when the Amber alert became a thing? They share in the documentary how essential radio stations were in making the alert successful and heard by many. Have you ever had to announce an Amber alert? No, but I will tell you. Back in the late nineties, I was reading a magazine article about how the first Amber alert started in Texas about a girl that literally her name was Amber, and they put out an Amber alert on TV and on freeway electric signs and on radio stations, and it made me want to say, hey, our radio station needs to enact this am alert. And I'm not patting myself on the back because it didn't work out. But I went to my boss and I said, hey, this is really cool. We need to enact this Amber alert. So if anybody ever disappears in Minnesota or is abducted, we can go on the radio and say, hey, Katie WB is issuing an amber alert, and all the other radio stations would join in. And basically the boss's answer was fuck yourself.
Speaker 2: WHOA.
Speaker 1: So yeah, because we had a very unimaginative boss.
Speaker 3: And that's not even imagine that's like safety.
Speaker 1: They were not in they were not into it. They were not into doing good. They were into their own thing. So yeah, And which boss am I talking about? Because I had several bosses?
Speaker 3: Which boss was I talking about?
Speaker 1: Okay? It was not Mark, by the way to tell us, Yeah, probably Okay. One other question, You've ever been aware of another show stealing your morning show content? And have you ever confronted or said anything to said shows for stealing from you? Yeah? There was one. God, I mean the the Ugly Kids billboard that Angie Taylor and I put up twenty five years ago. It was us both as fifth grader's little kid pictures and they knocked out our teeth, and they made our eyes crossed, and they gave us funny ears and they said ugly kids. And then the reveal was about a month later where it said ugly kids become DJs, but you didn't know what it meant. And it was so successful that it was stolen everywhere, really everywhere, and it pissed me off because other people. There was like an article in People magazine about the station in Milwaukee that did it, and it's like, bitch, that was my idea. Yeah, we get stuff stolen all the time.
Speaker 3: Wow. Literally, like if you google ugly Kids, it pre fills it with Billboard, does it really? Yes? And this is one from Oh, this is two thousand and three. Okay, got it. That's probably around the same time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well we did arg in about ninety nine or two thousand and two or something like that.
Speaker 3: Apparently they're all over the place.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and that was my idea. And that's just what That's one of the reasons why I've been able to stay in this business for a long time is because I just come up with ideas. That's really I'm not that good at presenting them on the radio, but I'm really good at coming up with ideas. And I'll tell you a quick little story. So the other night, I get ideas in the middle of the night, and I wake up and I go god, I got to remember that, and I never do. So I woke up with a really good couple of ideas and I said, if I don't write it down, I gonna forget. So I turned on the light the lamp on the nightstand, looked in the drawer and it's in the guest room, so it's not my drawer. I sleep in the guest room. And I open it up and I find a pen, and I find a journal. It was a journal I gave Allison for Christmas. It says Merry Christmas to Allison from Dad, two thousand and four. And I tore a page out of it and wrote my idea down. And I told Alison, I said, I found your old journal f when when you were twelve years old. She's like, yeah, dedn't rate it dead, yeo. And I'm like, no, I did not read it. And we were, you know, basically like I don't know what was going on in your life when you're twelve years old, but probably like crushes on boy and things like that, and oh okay. Then she wraps up with how she only got one follower, and thank you, secretary Brie. We appreciate all you do. Hitting the lead on that one.
Speaker 3: Well, here's the billboard of you and Angie, Ugly Kids and Little Canada in two thousand and two.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Nice, it was a huge billboard.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I gotta come up with a good idea.
Speaker 1: Well, the other billboard I came up with was Dave Ryan gave me crabs.
Speaker 3: Yes, I remember seeing that one.
Speaker 1: That was about three ish two and a half ish years ago. And then we wanted to come up with one that was going to be another teaser kind of a billboard when vaut joined the show. It would just be a black billboard with white lettering that said Bigger, Better, Blacker, And then it would sit up there for a couple of weeks and people would be like, what's that all about? Is that a new show on Max? Is that? What is that? And it would reveal like a picture of all of us Bigger, better, blacker than Dave Ryan Show. And we were going to do it. We really that'd be a great idea, and Vont ran it by some of his family and they said, eh, I think they said it's not a good optic. It seems like it is taking advantage of the fact that there's a black kid on the show instead of showing it off, which my idea was like, Hey, we're the only morning show in town that's got a full time salaried black guy on the show. I don't think there's another one. I'm wow, And I just thought it was kind of a fun novel thing and everybody, including Vont loved it. But he ran it by some people and they're like, nah, I don't think so.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So, continuing on with the Minnesota Goodbye and to click this tab, here we go, Christy says, walk in to dogs. This morning, I encountered various piles what looked like dog poop on my route. I will spare you a photo, but based on the looks of it, it's coyote or fox poo as they eat berries, which are readily available this time of the year. So today on my walk, I came across the pooh circled in bright pink chalk with the word who. Keep in mind, we live in a wooded area in the country where it's not unusual to see coyotes and fox Clearly somebody is upset was seeing the poo in things. It's left by a domestic dog and the irresponsible owner leaving it, perhaps taking time to call out who did it. Perhaps they could pick it up and put their mind at ease. Do I pick it up? I clean up after my dogs, but I wasn't about to clean up every turt I see from a wild animal. Being a natural born smart ass, I'm tended to leave a note indicating the wild animals that live in the woods and what they eat. What would you do? I would just be impressed with myself that I knew that it was coyote poop. Yeah, I'd be like, I wouldn't do a thing. A scientist, I mean personally, I have learned that certain things. No, I wouldn't do anything about it. But I see it all the time. I even you know, when I go on the back trails at Minawashta, two out of three dogs were off a leash. Two out of three dogs that I see on the back trails, they're off the leash, and it's like, bitch, there's an off leash dog park right down the road, but they don't want to do that. They want to go on the trails where your I don't know why.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so they can be alone with their dog because they probably think, oh, it's the back trails. I can let my dog off leash and doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm sure that's what they do. But and then I see it in my neighborhood too. So I was on the very calmon trail. There's a marsh by my house and there's got a loop trail around it, and it's paved. It's such a common trail that it's paved. And I saw some jack hole the other night with his fucking dog off the leash, and it's like, we bring this up way too often. So I'm gonna move on, Christy, thank you very much. I'm gonna tap delete on that one and give me a second stall for me.
Speaker 3: Okay, my back hurts right now. I've been sitting kind of funny lately.
Speaker 2: Is it because you're sleeping with your cat?
Speaker 3: I do always have my arm hitched up because he likes to lay on my chest like he's a baguette and I'm holding like or a bunch of flowers or something. So maybe it's that. Maybe I have to tell it. I have to have a talk with them. Yeah, I'll be like, you can't sit like that anymore.
Speaker 1: Don't say a name on this one, hey, besties, Okay, Dave, four fucking debbies in a fifth that went by the name Rusty. Holy fuck. We were talking about like your body count yesterday and I could name them all off. And there were four debbies in there. Debbie. Every debbie I've ever known has been a closet psycho, and you stuck five of them. I love the vulgarity of the word stuck. Tell us a story about the crazy ass debbie that crossed your path. Love you guys the most. And I won't say her name, but I will say they are a regular staff writer of the show. And they are very, very, very funny. And if I told you, guys who it is, you'd know right away who is So No, the all the debbies that I knew were all very nice. There was one who was a little, a little bit I don't want to say psycho because that's not fair. Yeah, but she was too pretty for me. At some point she realized she was too pretty for me, so she started sleeping with somebody else and and I knew about it, and I was kind of heartbroken because she was kind of my girlfriend at the time. And then so I blew her off and I'm like, Okay, she's done. And then about a month or two later, she sent me a pair of stuffed, shiny lips in the mail, like I think of a stuffed animal. No, you'll give a stuffed animal, but their lips like kissy face lips. Sure, okay, yeah, And they're stuffed and they're shiny, and they had a string to hang from your rear view mirror. And that was her way of reaching back out to me before email, before before text messaging. She sent me this. I still remember standing in my mailbox going what the fuck? And it was from Debbie. And I never wrote her back. I never called her, and I was just done. But that was her way of like reaching back into my life. And I remember acknowledged it, and I felt really good about not acknowledging it, even though she was attractive and she was wanting to get me back in her life.
Speaker 3: Did you ever sleep in any uggos? Because it seems like there's a trend where they're all hot. That's how you've framed all of them.
Speaker 1: I did. Her name is Mary, okay, And the she called the radio station on a Saturday and won tickets to a movie. And I said, well, you know, are you doing anything? I'll pick you up and we'll get the movie. Passes and we'll go together. That sounds great. So she gives me her address and I knocked on the door of her apartment and this really ugly woman answered the door, and I thought, oh my god, please don't be her, please be her roommate. No, it was her, and we hooked up later that night. But the funny thing was we dated for quite a while, like six months or so, when she was so sweet. Yeah, she was so sweet.
Speaker 3: She's sweet because she's ugo, she's got to be sweet. You know, ugly people can't be a bitch.
Speaker 1: I mean, I've known some beautiful people that were all so very sweet.
Speaker 3: Oh yeah, beautiful. But I've known any.
Speaker 1: Ugly people that were a bitch. You have no, I'm thinking, have I known any ugly people that were a bitch?
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't do you looking at them right now? That's a good one.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, thank you, so thank you not saying your name. Let's grab another one. This is really good and I want to do this on the radio. But this is from somebody who said they work in the veterinary field, and it's a question we get often about when should I let my dog or cat? Finally, go, and they said, when is the toughest decision? We get it all the time. As Jenny said, you know Josie best, but she will have her own way of telling you when it's time. Remember to be kind to Josie and make the best choice for her. And they attach something that I'm going to put on the website, and I really want to put this up right away because when people start hearing the Minnesota Goodbye by midday today, they're going to want to go look. And I wanted to be there. So it's a quality of life scale. Let me give you a couple of example questions. So you give a zero if you agree with the statement if describes your pet, one if it's not quite your pet, but it's close, and two if it does not describe your pet at all. Then you add up your points in the higher your points, the more your dog is towards the end, at the end of their life.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 1: So for example, if their appetite has stayed the same, okay, Well, has your dog's appetite stay the same with Josie, I would give her a one? Okay, I'll keep track of you. Drinking has stayed the same. I totally disagree. I would give her a two because she drinks water all the time, all the time. Normal urination habits, well, that's kind of hard to say, but no, she can't. She doesn't pee regularly outside. We have to put a diaper on her all the time. So I would give a two on that one. Normal bowel movement habits, I would also say they're semi normal, so I'd give her a one on that one. And ability to walk has stayed the same, Yeah, pretty much has yea. You know, she did have trouble getting up stairs the other day. But so you there's a bunch more and you add them up, and then there's this scale. For example, if it's low, it says quality of life is fine, no medical intervention is required. If it's a little higher, it's quality of life is questionable. Your pet could certainly benefit from veterinary oversight. And if it's higher, quality of life is a debit of concern and changes will be more severe and progressive in the near future. See your vet. And it is a really I mean, instead of just going by gut or feel or whatever you think, it is a chart that will help you kind of sort it out. That's nice for nice life numbers say that again, that's.
Speaker 3: Really nice for people who like numbers and things to help them decide.
Speaker 1: Yeah, can I send it to you, Jenny or Vant to put up online?
Speaker 2: Why don't you send it to Van?
Speaker 1: Oh, send it to vone. I'll text and then text him and let him know to put that up and we'll get that up there. Hopefully it'll be up there by the time you hear the podcast. And thank you very much, Amanda, so helpful.
Speaker 2: And just to clarify it to be on Dave ryanshow dot com like as a blog.
Speaker 1: Yes, And the reason is because my Josie is just kind of I just held her last night and I just scratched her over and over and over, and Susan took a bunch of pictures and it's just I mean, I just love that girl. Okay, here is one from Melissa, another longtime listener, and I've never heard you mentioned Melissa as part of your body count, Dave, since we share the same name, that is my choice to hear more Melissa. There were I think two of them, and really nothing interesting about either of them. Just both very sweet, just nothing nothing. I mean. I'm sorry, Melissa, I'm the happy thing. Not everybody that I hooked up with was crazy. As a matter of fact, those Melissa's probably thought I was the crazy one. Yeah, oh, I will give you one Melissa. The first one did want to have a threesome with a girl named Surprise Debbie, but Debbie was not into it.
Speaker 3: Gosh, you can tell that you were around and hoping in the eighties with all these debbies that you were getting.
Speaker 1: With all these lazy names. Nobody under the age of eighty four now that's named Debbie. There's no young name of young Debbie the age of what eighty four?
Speaker 3: I know one Debbie that's party three.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, how old is she?
Speaker 3: Thirty three? Abbie?
Speaker 1: How old is you're on Debbie?
Speaker 2: She's fifty.
Speaker 3: Exactly what I'm talking about. That for a Debbie for sure.
Speaker 1: Okay, thank you, Melissa. That was fun. Hearing Melluca Mela Luca mentioned on Wednesday's podcast made me laugh because somebody was talking about laundry detergent and they ordered their laundry detergent from mel Luca. Well Clark writes in in Alabama. He said it made me laugh. The writer described it as an online shopping club it's actually a multi level marketing pyramid where more than ninety nine percent of the distributors lose money. The statistics from the wh wikipedical Wikipedia article on the founder Frank vander Slut. Where have I heard the name Frank Vanderslup vander Slop?
Speaker 2: I've heard that name.
Speaker 3: That sounds like I'm made up name.
Speaker 1: There's no there's like a document or or something on a guy named Frank van der Sloot. Seriously, so anyway they're going to say, Clark says, my father in law sells mel Luca and I've tried many products. For the most part, they're terrible and overpriced. It was considering it. Please go into it knowing what the business truly is, and there's a chance someone will try to recruit you if you buy anything. Otherwise, keep up the great work. I love the addition to Bailey. She's the reason I started listening to the Dave Ryan Show podcast again. Oh wow, Bailey, thank you for drawing in the listeners.
Speaker 2: We needed you.
Speaker 3: Jenny and I.
Speaker 1: Certainly weren't doing it.
Speaker 3: Were not.
Speaker 1: What did you just do?
Speaker 3: This is called beatboxing? I dated a beatboxer once, did you? Yep? It was fine.
Speaker 1: Okay, Okay, Now, I think the fact that you defined him first as not a plumber and a guy who did beatboxing, but a guy who you dated a beat boxer.
Speaker 3: That was his job.
Speaker 1: That's what he did.
Speaker 3: That was his job. He was. He's in a or he still is in an a cappella group. He is the beatboxer and they would travel all over the world.
Speaker 1: Okay, so he was a legitimate like kind of like, where in the world is Carmen San Diego? Who are those guys? I don't look it up. Who's sang Where in the world is Carmen?
Speaker 3: Oh? Shoot, now I can't. There's like one really popular acapella group.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's not vocal.
Speaker 3: I'm thinking of vocal Adrenaline from Glee. That's not a thing.
Speaker 2: I think that's the theme song.
Speaker 1: And I know, but who sang where in the world is voice?
Speaker 2: Is a very Carl Chris Phillips, Doug Priest and Christine.
Speaker 1: Yes they had a name, though.
Speaker 2: It's not giving me a name, Todd.
Speaker 1: What band sang? What band sang? Where in the world is Carmen san Diego?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 1: All I can think of is technotronic, and technotronic is pump up the jam, Up the jam?
Speaker 3: Are you thinking Pentatonics?
Speaker 1: Pentatonics? I think.
Speaker 3: I think if you look up the a cappella groups of all time, the group that the guy I was dating is not on it. Actually, you know what, what if I scroll down and it is on that, I would die. That would be wild. He's not.
Speaker 1: There's part of me the ones to hear you beatbox as if you buyos Mosis learned to beat box from dating this.
Speaker 3: No, he was mostly just like I don't know, Like we would be driving in the car and he would be like beatboxing and drumming on the like dash yeah, and I'd be like, dude. Stop. And then I had a friend that I worked with who I loved very much but always had kind of a little crush on me. But he was like married, so it couldn't happen. But I told him I was dating a beatboxer, and then he started beatboxing like all the time, just in regular conversation. I'm like, stop, all.
Speaker 1: Right, come on, admit it. Everybody in the privacy of their bedroom or their car back in the nineties tried to beat box to see if they could do well. Not me what I never I did literally.
Speaker 3: Dating this guy was the first like glimpse into beatboxing I've ever had, and it.
Speaker 1: Was like, I mean, that was better than I could ever do. But you just did didn't you do it? Jenny?
Speaker 3: I did try it to do it.
Speaker 2: Did you guys figure out the name of the group because I was putting out on the tarms. No, oh, but the of the where in the world it's Rocapella?
Speaker 1: Yes, you're right. Okay, that is going to wrap it up for the Minnesota Goodbye. Send your fun emails to Ryan's show at KDWB dot com.