Speaker 1: Hello everyone, and welcome to Talk Nerdy. Today is Monday, September fifteenth, twenty twenty five, and I'm the host of the show Doctor Kara Santa Maria. This week's episode is episode five hundred sixty eight. We're in our eleventh year, and the way I keep this show going, as you know, is by relying on the support of individuals just like you. Talk Nerdy is free to download. We do not charge for you to listen to the show, but we do still have to make our payments. I've got to pay my editor, I've got to pay my assistant slash producer. I've got to make sure that my time is compensated, and also things like web hosting. Like it's not free to just post a podcast on the internet. So how do we do that. Well, we use the the PBS NPR model that we all know and love. If you are in a position where you can support the show on an episodic basis, you're then offsetting that cost so that you know, folks who can't afford to support the show don't have to and they can still listen for free. So if you're interested in learning more, all you've got to do is visit Patreon, dot Com, slash talk Nerdy. This week's top patrons include Anuvadavaj, Chuck Blell, Daniel Lang, David J. E. Smith, Joseph Lemore, Mary Neiva, Brian Holden, David Compton, Gabriel F Haarmio, Joe Wilkinson, The Squally Gelati, and Ulrika Hagman. Thank you all so much. All right, so what have we got for you today? Oh it's a good one. I had the opportunity once again to chat with my favorite living science writer. I say that later on the show, but it's true. It's so true. She's the author of diff, Spook, Bonk, Packing for Mars, Gulp, Grunt and Fuzz, and she has a new book out it's called Replaceable You Adventures in Human Anatomy. So, without any further ado, here she is Mary Roach. Well, Mary, it's always an honor to chat with you. I say this honestly that you are my favorite living science writer.
Speaker 2: I love that. I want to know who your favorite dead science writer is.
Speaker 1: That would be Oliver Sacks.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah, that's stiff competition right there.
Speaker 1: He's brill Yeah, yeah, absolutely, And I will say that I know I am not alone in this it's not uncommon that I will have folks on the show who have a voice that is, you know, really authentic and kind of funny or like bitingly funny sometimes yet still really respectful and humanistic. And when I say, you know, oh, I was reading your book or I was looking at this passage and it kind of reminded me of Mary wrote, they always like, oh my god, what an honor an Oh, that's so nice. And so you've written several books, you have a new one out replaceable you what number is this? Now?
Speaker 2: This is number eight?
Speaker 1: Eight? Wow? Okay, I know, and.
Speaker 2: That's not counting. There's a collection of my old humor columns and Reader's Digest, which very few people ever see because it's only sold by Reader's Digest because they owned the right, So that isn't that one doesn't even appear. But I guess you could call that a book, but mostly eight, let's go with eight.
Speaker 1: Did you also or am I mixing this up? Did you also edit like a Best American science writing volume?
Speaker 2: I did? I thought so I did. Yeah, that was really fun. Yeah.
Speaker 1: I love those books. They're so great.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they're so great, and it's just such a joy to edit one of those, because you discover these writers that have been out there doing their thing for publications that you just don't have time to check into, and you're like, Wow, this person's really good.
Speaker 1: That's honestly, That's why I love doing a podcast like this, because there are so many brilliant writers out there. There's so much rich content to get through. We'll never be able to read it all right, We'll always have huge gaps in our knowledge and our understanding just because there's so much to get through, and yet we're living in a culture now. I mean, I just covered this on the other podcast I work on, where college professors are largely reporting that they have students coming into their freshman level classes having never read a whole book in high school.
Speaker 2: I've heard that, and I've heard that professors are not a sign whole books just for that reason that it's more than the attention span can hold. I don't know, but that was kind of sad for me to see, just because I'm just somebody who loves to sink into a book and have that feeling of like, go away, don't bother me, I'm reading.
Speaker 1: I'm the same way. I love reading a book and really immersing myself in it. What I don't love though, and this is something I've been talking to my editor about actually even before my editor my agent about lately is I have yet to write my book because I love to have written, but I really struggle with the act of writing. But for somebody who's written as many volumes as you have, I'm curious, do you really enjoy sitting down and doing the work and writing the book or is it also a huge slog for you.
Speaker 2: It completely depends on how well the research has gone. If I have gone somewhere and witnessed and experienced really interesting fun things, and you know, brought these experiences and facts and things back and created this pile of material, it's actually very fun for me to get it down on the page. On the other hand, if I don't have a particularly good experience, or I feel like the material is a little flat and I'm kind of flogging the dead horse, you know, I don't enjoy that. That's a struggle and I have to think, you know, do I just skip this chapter, do I try to breathe life into it? What do I do? So that's not fun, But so really it's just up to me to get myself into scenarios and labs and places where I'm going to have really interesting material that's going to be fun to write up.
Speaker 1: So yeah, yeah, And I can imagine that a fair amount of that has to do with the subject matter itself, but I can also imagine that a big proportion of that is just the I don't know the personalities of the people that you have the opportunity to meet when you're doing your reporting.
Speaker 2: Oh eight hundred percent, it does. And I don't know till I get there what that personality is going to be. All I know about this person is based on a couple emails back and forth, me going that sounds interesting, Could I come to your lab or your facility or wherever I'm going? And then I get there and it's just sort of luck of the draw. Fortunately. The kind of person who says yes to me, like yes, you can come, follow me around like a puppy for two days, ask me all kinds of simplistic questions, and I'm fine with that. That kind of person's usually pretty great to hang out with, and you do, I am able to get a sense of their work from you know, what I can find online and what I what I'm able to dig up, so I you know, I have a pretty good chance of hitting something that's going to be pretty interesting. But the personality is just it's kind of a wild card, which I enjoy. I enjoy getting there and realizing, oh, this person is And they're all over the map. Some of them are deeply immersed in something really obscure and not necessarily you know, a charismatic, chatty person, but just so lovely because of their passion for this very specific Like a guy in the Netherlands who studies the mechanics of chewing food, you know, and there's just he's studied it for decades and he had all this equipment and I was just I was just so delighted to spend a day with him. And so it's all over the map. But it's really rare that I go somewhere and realize, you know, what this is not come into life at all. And sometimes, you you know, there have been times, mostly working for magazines, where I've just had to kind of back out. I just don't have anything to work with.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, I'm so curious about your process, and I'm probably going to focus on that a little bit here at the top but you know, you've been doing this for a long time, and you're you are a well known science writer. At this point, I can imagine that you know scientists, I know them, I love them, I am one my friends are scientists. Were a weird bunch. I can imagine that some of the folks that you go interview just never get outside of their own field, don't read, you know, trade publications at all, are you know, steep just in the literature and maybe haven't read your work, but that a fair amount of them probably have. Do you think it's been easier or more difficult to get into labs having done this for a long time now? Because I say this with the caveat that a lot of scientists have a fear around talking to journalists, reporters, writers, because they have a fear of being misrepresented, taken out of contacts, their work being you know, described in a way that they don't have control over. And now we're living in a you know, society and a culture that's like actually, polls tell us it's not that distrustful of scientists, but the rhetoric at least coming out of of you know, the white houses, that you should be distouchabule of scientists. Do you find that things have changed recently?
Speaker 2: Yes, but that has partly to do with the subject of this book and the fact that I was approaching some a number of biotech companies, and I think in general they are very wary and they have a model of communications which is essentially one way, like here is a prescott, here is video, here's what we're going to give you to work with. So they're not, as a rule, inviting people to come hang out, which is what I always want to die. I want to just hang out. I don't know exactly where things are going to go. I just want to spend and at least an afternoon there, preferably more like a day, and that that is often not okay. In this book, I went all the way to Chungdu, China to report on zeno transplantation using pig organs because two of the two companies here in the United States, E Genesis and United Therapeutics, were there were very hospitable. Initially, they were familiar with my work and they said, yeah, let's get on a zoom, let's bring in the CEO, let's talk about it. And I thought it went really well, and then one of them ghosted me, and the other one just said, you know, sometimes I think it's let's you know, they say, let's talk to the legal the legal team, and then I just at that point, I know where things are heading. And I don't blame them. I mean, they, like you said, they have no control over what I'm going to say, what I'm going to focus on, the tone that I'm going to take, what I might see when I'm there, and who I might talk to about it. So of course there's every reason for them to say no, and I get that. But to answer your question, it has in that sense become harder. And I think there's just more concern in general about what's going to get out on social media. What am I exposing myself to, What's going to be taken out of context from her book or her reporting, and that's going to go online and go viral, and why shouldn't we say no? So, yeah, it has gotten harder in that sense. I'm happy to fly to Chungdu, China and talk to people there, and they were lovely and they were willing to host me. So there's always there are always workarounds for me. But yes, it's gotten in general it. People knowing who I am has made it easier. For example, I spent time in Kansas City with a man whose wife had been in an iron lung and you know, from the polio era, and she had recently died, and I actually wanted to try the iron lung. It's a working iron lung. Now, if I had just contacted him out of the blue and he'd never heard of me or known my work, I think it would have seemed kind of creepy. But he was familiar with my work and he was it was like, absolutely, come out here, that'd be great. And so that tends to happen, you know. And if somebody's familiar with what I do and they like the books, they'll go to bat for me.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I've had that happened where the researcher has had to overrule the public affairs people. That happened in this book at the extra corporeal Life support lab where they were sort of trying to create long life organs for transplant, and the public affairs people eventually just stopped responding to me. And I don't know if they said no or they just ghosted me. But I contacted the researcher. I'm like, what is like, I don't understand what happened here? And he said, look, come out here, it's my lab. We'll talk in my office and then we'll walk across the hall to the lab, and that's what we're going to do. And I got there and I said, so what happened? Why why did they why did they try to block this? And he said, well, because because it's animal research and they have this idea that me Mary Roach, I'm an animal rights fanatic really because there were animals in my last book, there was wildlife and is that why? I mean, but anybody who's got a facility with animals that are being used in research is going to be very very cautious. And I get that, but that was hilarious.
Speaker 1: It's a tough Yeah. I worked in an animal lab and my you know, my professor was always very cautious about how we spoke and who we spoke to. I've interviewed people especially. I think about the times when I've interviewed people at like JPL or NASA HQ, where there's like a a press person sitting right behind the camp, you know, like nodding vigorously or being like we can't use that. Yes, it's like oh god, oh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. No, the NASA, I know, I did a whole packing for Mars was all based on NASA, well also Foreign Agent Space agencies. But yeah, every phone call and every in person interview there was someone from Public Affairs. Fortunately, as far as I could tell, they were sort of absorbed in catching up on their email and.
Speaker 1: Texts saying oh that's so funny. Yeah, same thing. They were doing ten things at once, so they weren't really paying attention.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they weren't particularly worried. I mean, I mean, if they're familiar with my work, they they know it's not It's not some sort of weird expose that I'm chasing, you.
Speaker 1: Know, right, And I think that's the fear for for a lot of these folks, that they're sort of trained in a cover of your ass model and you know, better safe than sorry. But I can imagine that that can be frustrating when you're just trying to get to these kernels of I don't know of humanity, and that's really the thing that comes through with all of your writing. I look back to Stiff, which is the book that I recommend to everybody you know who hasn't read your work to start with, I myself am a psychologist who works an end of life. And I think between Stiff and some Oliver Sacks work and then some like a Tool Gowandah and a few other writers, I got really interested in death and in trying to take away the taboo around death, to bring it into the light. And I think what you did so brilliantly and Stiff, and you've repeated it in every book that you've done, which makes me think it's just your personality. Your writing style is you get just up to that line of it being really caustically funny, but you never are exploitative or offensive. It's always still really respectful of the humanity of the whether we're talking about cadavers or whether we're talking about living people who are working in these fields.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, exactly. And I think that comes from the terror that I had when I wrote Stiff, of getting it right, of being my usual kind of Braddy cavalier curious self, but also not offending somebody who might have lost a loved one recently, or somebody in the industry, somebody who I interviewed. I try to put if I make fun of anybody, it should be me because often I am the clueless outsider, and so that's a source of or can be a source of humor. But that was definitely true for Stiff and for Grunt as well for some of the folks that I interviewed, you know, in the in the military science realm, they do really heroic, hard stuff. You know, it was a book about keeping people alive, not killing people, and it was and I would never want to disrespect or offend those folks. But the on the other hand, things happen that are funny or weird or surreal, and I want to I want to bring that in because it's just it's how it is. It's that's life people, absolutely or you know this.
Speaker 1: Yeah, both, Well, you can't have one without the other, kid, And I think about your new book, Replaceable you it's also about keeping people alive. Really like, isn't that kind of one of the core uh sure? Yeah. Thesis statement here is I was trying to describe it to some of my friends who haven't had the opportunity to read it yet. You know, Adventures in Human Anatomy is the subtitle, which, yes, the book is all about all these different aspects of human anatomy, but and replaceable you I think captures it a little bit better. All the different ways that scientists and biomedical sciences, like you know, physicians work to extend, augment improve the experience for people on this planet who either were born with or unfortunately had some sort of experience that prevented them from having a I guess fully healthy limb or organ or whatever, you know, something that's that would have shortened their lives or would have made their lives their quality of life go down. We live in a very modern time and there are a lot of really cool things happening to help us live longer, healthier, and more functional. I guess we could say lives. And you're you really do your reporting right on that edge, right, It's not so much oh, this is all this stuff already doing. It's a lot of this is right where we're about to be. Right.
Speaker 2: That's fascinating, right exactly. And it's really I'm always interested in the human elements of it, you know. You know, it's people tend to think, oh, this is a book about Oh, it's about prosthetic limbs. It's like, no, it's not. I'm not writing about the mechanics and the engineering of mechanical body parts. It's more like in the case of prosthetic limbs, it's about to chap. The chapter is about elective amputation, which is I taught I met this woman who she had a foot, that it was a healthy foot in the sense of getting a blood supply and you know, not being compromised in that way, but it was twisted. It didn't enable her to move the way she wanted to, to hike or run or jump. And she would see people who had a prosthetic foot who were able to do these things, and she wanted it off, she wanted it cut off, and she couldn't find a surgeon to do that, and she It's an elective amputation, is what the chapter is about. And it's a really it's an interesting conundrum because there is this bias for wholeness and for hanging on to the pieces that we started out with, even to the point where our lives, you know, are could be better with something else. And how do you get somebody to that point, or how does somebody get a surgeon to that point? How do you find a surgeon who's willing to do that given the worries about liability or phantom pain or will the person get insurance reimbursement for that. You know, there's so so it is a book about these technologies, but it's very much not about the technology completely, you know what I'm saying, it's it's it's the people who are involved in it and the challenges because it's not easy. You tend to see a lot of hype online about you know, pressroom. You know, it partly comes out of you know, startups need to get funding, so they tend to kind of overstate what they're doing and what they're going to be able to do. They have to get the funding and then hopefully they can deliver that, but often it turns out the body's a little more complicated than they thought, or just you know, you can get their part way, but technology has shifted and now there's a better option. So things are changing all the time, and it makes it challenging for the people who do this work, and now especially challenging given the cuts to funding and the disruption that that causes to someone's career and to the functioning of a lab that's depending on a long term contract that's already been signed that might be taken away.
Speaker 1: And all of the potential outcomes to the perspective patience downstream from that. Yep, it's you know, there were a lot of things that I encountered in this book that and I consider myself a relatively well informed I'm an allied health professional, meaning I'm sort of have one foot in this camp. But I'm not myself a biomedical scientist or a physician. I'm a psychologist who works in a hospital, in a cancer center, and so I am near to a lot of medical stuff, and I work with patients who are going through a lot of medical stuff, but my focus is of course on their psychological well being, their quality of life. Things like that, And a couple things came up for me as I was reading your book. The one was the parallel that I often see because I work an end of life quite often between the decision to elect, for example, for medical aid and dying versus the decision to die quote naturally, which like, what does that even mean? And I see a lot of parallels with the elective amputation question, this idea of the person knowing what's best for themselves, but the entire app or saying don't think so we're going to make it really difficult for you to have those empowered decisions. And I just kept seeing themes over and over when I was reading about that woman and the other thing that came up for me. Okay, there's two things I learned. I learned a lot, but there are two things that stick out that I learned that I tell everybody. The first one was, I had no idea how quickly an individual who has experienced brain death but is on a heart lung machine, how quickly things, very bad things start to happen to their body, and how minimal the amount of time that they can stay on heart lung is before those organs have to be transplanted. I guess I just always assumed me too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, right, I assumed that if you had the blood pumping through the body to the organs, that you could basically keep someone on there indefinitely.
Speaker 1: Because we hear stories about that, right, we hear stories about people in comas. I guess, but they're still alive.
Speaker 2: There's still enough functioning, there's still a brain, there's the brain stem, right, mm hmm. I mean you're in a coma. I mean, once you're dead, you're brain dead, You're dead, there's a machine that's taking over the circulation of the blood. But you know, for someone in a coma, the brain is the brain is still functioning and that and there. It was so interesting talking to doctor Bob Bartlett, who's the person who pioneered Echmo, which is the heart lung machine that keeps people going. You know, in surgery heart surgery, you can you know, take to sort of work on the heart because you have this machine that's pumping the blood. But he told me this about this this fascinating effect of essentially organs need a brain, they need a functioning brain. So if you know, if you have a fetus, there was a he talked about there's you know, an acepholic you know, a fetus that doesn't have a brain, but the the mother's the or who the mother's brain is, is functioning as the brain. And there's something some kind of hormone secreted that is keeping that fetus alive. And once it's delivered, then it dies and vice versa. They've had a brain a pregnant person who is brain dead. That that that that the fetus would keep those organs viable much longer than they would on a heart lung type of you know, a ventilator.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're sort of borrowing each other's by I mean, of course we know they do that with nutrition and everything else, sure, but even borrowing the biology of the brain during that pregnancy is that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And he was hypothesizing a hormone that he doesn't know what it is. It's a hypothetical hormone. He's given it a name, Vitalin and which is in the UK a pet food brand, but who cares about that? Well, so, yeah, it's a hypothetical hormone. It hasn't been discovered, but he believes there's something in that the brain is secreting and the organs need that, like the heart needs a brain, which was fascinating, especially when you're talking about this concept of replacing individual parts, that the human body is a system. It's a machine, and a lot of interconnections that might not be that well understood that complicate things when your goal is to just replace one part. This idea of the body having these sort of invisible threads kind of linking things and depending on things complicates matters.
Speaker 1: And that's such an important visualization because yes, you can't just take out a piece and plug in a new piece and hope, Like, there are situations where the body just sort of makes up for it, and there are other situations where there's like a catastrophic downstream problem from that. I mean, we were talking about what happens when somebody's brain is no longer functioning, but even when their brains are functioning on echmo. I remember seeing a patient in the hospital where I work who had pretty traumatic injuries was on echmo for an extended period of time. He had ultimately lost all of his fingers, and it's because just the way that the echmo machine was working to perfuse all his tissues to make sure that the blood flow was there. It's just not as good as if your heart and your lungs are working with all the feedback mechanisms that your brain is telling them to do.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, yeah yeah. And in his lab, they were looking at ways to keep organs alive or usable for transplantation longer. And you know, he's talking about those heart in a box systems where you're not just putting the heart on ice, you're perfusing it with blood, you're keeping it nourished. But he said, you know, even then, you know, you get eight twelve hours, because what happens they pushed the blood flow through at a pretty high rate and it starts to damage the valves and then the valves get leaky and this whole kind of cascade of deterioration happens. So they were looking at, can we lower the blood flow or use slightly different fluids to protect the valves, keep it, you know, keep the heart nourished, but extend it to twenty four or forty eight hours, which would mean now you can test that heart, you might be able to fix it if there's something wrong there. So that would you know, increase the number of organs available for transplant. So it's pretty cool what they were doing. But yeah, you just think, well, you've got a blood supply, your good. It's like, well, what's the flow rate and what's that doing to the walls of the vessels and the valves, And you know, it's just never simple.
Speaker 1: No, it's definitely never simple, And I think it is hard to understand that until you've either had a loved one who is under on an extreme transplantation like heart is probably the most extreme. It's why, again, working in a hospital, the highest sort of standards for whether or not somebody is like I guess approved to be on the transplant list exists for heart because somebody has to die in order for a heart to be present, right, It's different with kidney, even liver sometimes it's different and so that the barriers are much lower for those. But with a heart, like, it's a really big deal, and it's horrifying when you've been working with somebody who's been awaiting a heart and they finally are told that the heart's coming and then for whatever reason they don't get it that day, or for whatever reason they do get it and then they've reject it or there's some sort of problem.
Speaker 2: It's never easy, Yeah, and it's frustrating for you know, the people who've been doing work with Zeno transplantation using gene edited pigs pig hearts. The people that have received one so far, they've been in a position where they're only going to likely live a few more weeks. So they're kind of the last person you'd want to be experimenting trying out this new transplant technique. But because of the you know, because this hasn't been the hearts haven't been approved. It's done on a compassionate care exemption, so and they live like two months and that sounds horrible, but they were in pretty bad shape to start out with. So now there is a guy I think Tim Andrews is his name, and I think he's coming up on eight months with a Oh maybe it's a kidney not a heart, but anyway.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's that's incredible, but it also, yeah, it goes to show that sort of human I think it's twofold really, because I see this a lot with cancer patients that are nearing end of life. There's the one thing that's like, Okay, if there's an option available, I'm going to do it for my family, for myself, for whatever, especially those who still have the energy and who have not grown as weary of all of the treatments. You know, I'm going to try. But I think there's this secondary thing And I saw this when I was doing my dissertation where I interviewed I interviewed one person on the last day of his life before he took the made drugs, where there's this deep passion for if I can help somebody. I know that I'm going to die of this disease. I know that this heart or kidney is only going to give me a few extra months, but maybe this research will help somebody else live a lot longer, right, And what a beautiful thing to do in your last days, weeks, months.
Speaker 2: Right, exactly. And that may have been part of why these folks agreed to receive that Zeno transplant.
Speaker 1: You know they must have undergoing major surgery is intense in your last.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean there was a hope, of course, there's a hope that in the two months that they give them, or whatever they expected it to give them, they might make their way up the list. I mean unlikely, and I think those folks are pretty far gone seems like the wrong way to say it, but near to death that it probably wasn't a realistic likelihood. But you never know. I mean, at that point, no one knew how long these pig organs would keep working. You know, they started out working pretty well well.
Speaker 1: And that's the thing too. There will be a point in time where we get there and where people can live with these with these animal organs, with these you know, transplants in a reasonable way, and who knows who's going to be the person who is living at that moment when we switch over from rejection to non rejection, right.
Speaker 2: I mean, we make a huge leap right, and people have been living with pig valves for decades, you know. That is to say, the technology and the availability has been there for I don't know how many decades. But so it's not inconceivable that the gene but it will create a heart that won't just be a bridge. It'll actually be a functioning, long lasting replacement.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, not to do a complete left turn. But I mentioned that there are two things that I often bring up to people where I'm like, I had no idea. I mean, there's I learned so much, but these two are I just tell them to everybody who will listen. The first one was you know what we just talked about, And the second I think it's because we love confirmation bias, and we love things that reinforce, like ideologies and ways of thinking that have already been developed or that continue to develop in our lives. But when I read the chapter where you talk about trans affirming surgery, which this is also just like deeply relevant right now, I mean, our local children's hospital just lost all of their funding here in LA for their trans affirming you know division, because whatever, well we're going to put that on the shelf. But the thing that really stuck with me was this deeply patriarchal male bias where male surgeons were giving trans men penises that were too big. Yeah, penises that they don't like. Not only do I not want to deal with this thing like wielding it around, it's like, you know, difficult, but also now when I engage in any sort of sexual relations, my partners aren't comfortable. I'm not comfortable, and it's like ask any woman and they would have been like, uh huh.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly exactly. And and the surgeon who I had dinner with, who's the director of the Cedar Sinai Transgender Surgery and Health Clinic, Uh, he's a he's a hetero male, but he's he was he was saying. He said, you know, it's he gets pushback from other surgeons and he gets patients who come to him saying, look, uh like what you just described this thing is is two big to use. And I didn't ask for it, he said, sometimes there is a tendency for trans men to ask for something bigger initially. Well, and he said, so he said, you know, we always try to involve the partner if there's a long term partner that we also we encourage them to include this person in the decision. But but yeah, he's like, they've I've had patients. I mean, I don't know how many. I don't think it's widespread, but he's had patients come to him say this thing's too big. You know that the surgeon did this, you know, And he said, there was the sense of the surgeon kind of you know, patting himself on the bag. Look what I'm made.
Speaker 1: And the thing is that just like it does not surprise me in the.
Speaker 2: Least, no, I know. Also and also talking about trans women, you know, he's he was saying, there's two surgeries. There's vaginoplasty and involve a plasty. And he's like, you know, if you're going to have problems, it's going to be with the vaginoplasty. So if you're not if you're not interested in penetration, if you're not that interested in sex at all, if you you know, there may be it may be just evolve a plasty is fine. He said. You know, people want to look normal when they look down there. They don't want to look at a penis. They want they want to look the way they want to look and we can do that really well. And you know, so let me know, do you want do you need a vagina? Are you okay with anal sex? Do you tell me what you your life is like and what you want, because that's going to be a little trickier to do, so you know, you've got to be dilating it. And in the case of the procedure he was talking about, there's some we don't need to get into that, but.
Speaker 1: Yeah, in fiction, risks and things right like a lot.
Speaker 2: Well in a need, well he's talking about it's sort of a secondary procedure if the first operation didn't work, well, they can use a sex one of the of the intestine with its blood supply intact. So there's various things that are related to that that can be a little challenging.
Speaker 1: But anyway, yeah, let's not assume that that's what everybody, that every trans woman is interested in having a sort of like near two cis presentation, like that's not like there's not one way to be trans.
Speaker 2: Right, Penetration isn't everything. So if you know, it's kind of similar to the way that for many decades women who had masdectomies I don't think we're regularly told, you know, you could just go flat far far It's far simpler, fewer complications. It's your choice. But this is an option, and you just I mean that is now I think what I mean, I don't know because I haven't talked to patients or dark about that, but my sense is there's been enough talk about it online. And also tig Nataro did that famous monologue one person show with her top off anyway, Yeah she's a comedian, but it was a brilliant and sort of very courageous yeah monologue. So but yeah, I don't get the sense that it was sort of presented as an option for a long time.
Speaker 1: It wasn't. And I remembered just recently reading because these are the patients that I work with regularly, so I'm always trying to read things from the perspective of individuals who have sort of been there before. Reading Audrey Lord's book about how traumatic her experience was, where they just sort of came in her room with the full assumption that she was going to want to have surgery, or that she needed to wear a prosthesis, or here are the pads to make them look even here all that she's like, would you want to ask me what I want to do? Like, maybe I want to wear this as a badge of like having gone through this. Maybe I exactly one breast, you know, maybe I don't want to pros thesis. Yeah, And you don't know until you really talk to somebody. And I think as a as a mental health professional, I see the outcomes very often of the lack of those kinds of I mean that goes back to the medical aid and dying thing too. Even to this day, I see people who never even know that that's an option for them. Yeah, because it's just too I guess taboo, or it's the practitioners themselves haven't worked with their own comfort level about these things. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I in general, our medical system doesn't prioritize community good communication, not just about options, but about the realities of what this is going to be like to recover from a say, a double mess. Deec to me, well, it just just tell me the facts and let me my get my mind, let me let me decide what I want.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I see I see all the time with patients who when I ask them, well, what's your prognosis? You know, they'll say I'm stage four. I'm at this place in my treatment. You know, I've had three chemos that failed and now I'm on a trial and I'll say, do you know what your prognosis is? And they'll say, oh, my doctor tells me that they don't have a crystal ball, and I'm like, no, no, no, no, they have prognostic tools. Yeah, you have the right and they don't have a crystal ball, but they can plug a bunch of stuff into a calculator and tell you that other people with these different you know, variables live on average from this time until this time with and without treatment. But yeah, it's hard. It's a hard thing to talk about. And you do that in your work across your books, as you talk about hard things, and as you kind of mentioned before, there's sort of a selection bias in that there's you. You tend to find people who are willing to talk about those hard things with you, which I absolutely love. Do you find sometimes that you have to break them open a little bit, or or do you tend to connect with people who are just like I think to.
Speaker 2: Show I think that the process kind of self selects that kind of person, because the con person who doesn't want to talk openly about what they do with an outsider is probably just not going to answer my email. And I get a fair number of emails. I would say forty percent of the emails I send out don't get a reply. Yeah, and part of that is that people don't look at email all the time anymore. But I think it's often that the people who do reply are open and confident and comfortable about what they do and the realities and of it. So, yeah, breaking somebody open, that's rare. A part of it, too, is I spend I try to spend at least half a day, preferably one or two days with somebody, and I think that they get a feeling for what I'm trying to do and who I am and what you know. And the other thing that I do is I always send a book to someone initially so they have a sense of what I do. So if they're uncomfortable with the tone and they want to say no, that's fine. But usually I think it is reassuring, like they see it and they're like, oh, well, this is I could see myself profiled in this book and that could be fun, good, whatever. So I don't think it's usually not necessary. You know that over the course of an afternoon or a day or even two days, people are fine talking about the nuances and some of the less comfortable aspects of it, I think, And also I just I don't know. If you ask somebody in a straightforward way, they tend to answer in a pretty straightforward way, unless, of course, they're in the public affairs office.
Speaker 1: What about the flip side of that question, have you found because you, yes, you interview professionals within their fields. Sometimes they're you know, maybe let's say a little on the spectrum or or you know, in just very like deeply narrowly focused on, as you mentioned before, one really interesting but kind of obscure thing. But you also very often will profile and interview the people who have the lived experiences, you know, sort of the applied side of the research, like the man whose wife died and who had the iron lung. Has anybody ever opened you up in a way that you didn't expect?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Yeah, Every now and then I go to talk to someone and the example that you give an example from this book, which is the man whose wife had been using an iron lung to sleep in for many years and who had recently died, and I was you know, I was porting about the science was negative pressure breathing versus positive pressure breathing. You know, the kind of ventilators that are in ICUs now versus iron lungs, which is a gentler form of ventilation. It's actually akin to what our bodies do. So I'm kind of caught up in like the like the iron, like how iron lungs work, et cetera. And I show up and here's this man who is still very much grieving the loss of his wife and really wanted to tell her story in a lot of detail, and actually gave me a print out of some ten pages about her life and how they met, and so I, you know, what I thought I was doing, had to kind of scoot over and make room for his story. And I think it makes that made the chapter better, you know, I mean it still is. You know. I knew that I wanted to try this iron lung and that that would be an interesting and surreal experience, but I wanted to incorporate Mark and Mona into that chapter two, So I think it's great when that happens. There was another time I was reporting for packing for Mars. I was up on Devon Island, which is up in the near the above the Arctic Circle. It's a place where NASA tests suits and vehicles because it's very similar. It's kind of a lunar landscape and one part in Martian looking in another part, and so they can do these simulations. And I was reporting there for a week and I just was sort of nosing around and I talked to this man who works on suit design and I said, Oh, what are you up to and he said, well, I design space suits for escape at different altitudes and velocities. And I was like, oh, that's kind of interesting. And I sat there thinking, well, maybe maybe I'll do something with this. And then he you know, he gave me this. He had given me a mission patch, which is anytime the shuttle would go up, there'd be a mission patch with all the names of the astronauts. He had given me one for the Columbia. I didn't really think much about it. I said no, thank you. And while we were talking, I looked at the patch and I saw the last name Clark, and his name was Clark, and I realized that his wife had been on the Columbia when it exploded, and that that's why he was so passionate about designing a suit that would enable you to survive if you know, the if the capsule or the shuttle or whatever it is is it's coming down, and there's a lot of variables that you have to deal with. The atmosphere is very thin, so a parachute would have no air, and you know you're going super fast, and if there's enough friction, you know you might burn up, and the suit has to be protective against that. So it's a really tricky thing to do. But now I understand why. And it was very moving, and he didn't say anything. He just the fact that he gave me that patch, like was his way of saying it without saying it. And I had to decide at that moment do I how much do I ask him about it? And anyway, So the whole tenor of the conversation shifted, And that's the kind of thing that I I think. It's always it's always helpful and always interesting, and I'm always grateful for those moments. I can't make them happen, they just sometimes happen, and.
Speaker 1: They really do make the writing that much richer, and I can imagine that it's actually I don't know. I think about all of my colleagues and all of the people I've met throughout my career in psychom and now in psychology, who they sort of I feel like, you've got these two extremes and then everything in between where you meet somebody and you're like, how'd you get into this? And they're like, oh, my professor was working on it and it kind of seemed interesting, and I did this project and that's how I got hooked, or you write. People were like, you know, my mom had schizophrenia and she did this and that's why I got really yeah, I personally had this like tragedy. And so sometimes they're very close to the work in a way that they don't always describe right away.
Speaker 2: Way, yes, yes, And I think that's that's true for authors and books as well. And so people always ask and how did you get into this? And I always feel bad because I don't have a good inspiration story, you know, like well, I was born without a kidney and I ended or you know, I mean I don't have I don't have a good body replacement part story that inspired the book, and I and people all, yeah, people invariably expect that an author's coming from a place of personal experience, and often it's.
Speaker 1: Really it's just interesting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's just what what's a what a what would I find interesting for two years of my life to step in, you know, to step what world would I do? I want to step into that will hold my interest and you know, keep me curious, And that's usually what That's usually just how it goes. But but yeah, it's always interesting to meet somebody who's has that personal connection.
Speaker 1: Well, so I think that's a good segue for my last two questions that I really are like burning a hole in my pocket. I think the first one has specifically to do with that, and it's you know, when you are coming up with these stories, As you are engaging with these stories, how do you decide sort of what is too deep, what's too wonky, what's too in the weeds, what's more palatable? And I guess it's kind of the same question. Like I think about this show talk Nerdy, and I made a decision early on, I'm just going to do what's interesting to me and hope that other people find it interesting too. Yes, But the minute that I start trying to like present the show for the audience, and I'm just afraid I'm going to lose my voice. I think about an audience and I know that they're there, but there are definitely times when I get in the weeds about things that nobody cares about except for me, and I'm like, well, deal with it. Okay, That's what I was. How much do you write with the reader? How much do you write for yourself?
Speaker 2: I exactly the same as you, as you what you just said. I can only just go by what I'm curious about and hope that other people will be uh interested in it too. So I write for an audience that is like a room full of mary roaches. It's like that scene in Being John Malkovich where everybody in the restaurant is John Malkovich. That's my audience. I can't do anything else. And but for this book, you know, the two chapters that I included that that didn't initially scream Mary roach chapter had to do with induced plury potent stem cells, so you know, growing things from scratch basically, and also bioprinting because they're pretty technical and I don't have a background and I didn't really know how to get into it, and so those I put off I put off till the end because and they're in there, and what it's like once I started to learn about them, They are in fact really interesting. But I had a lot of kind of reluctance because it is something I don't know. It's a little technical. Uh and uh it was, yeah, but I knew that this book really i'd be remiss to not include those chapters.
Speaker 1: And that's book. That's what sometimes it really is. Why I asked the question was those two chapters, because as I'm reading it as somebody who has knowledge in this area but also somebody who has done zycom, I remember thinking like this, there's parts of this that are dense, and I wonder what the experience was like for you slogging through that and being like, Okay, the only way to really understand this is to get this background. I think back to Oliver Sacks. You know, he has books like Migrain which are like unreadable, like I loved it, but like it's a really intense book. And then he has books like The Man who Mistook his Wife or a Cat. But in all of his books he has to explain like kind of some really complicated science to get to the good stuffs. Yeah, and.
Speaker 2: You know, for stem cells, I thought, choosing a lab that was trying to grow hair essentially create vollicles from scratch, you know, taking blood cells, regressing them to plury potency, and then instructing them to become the kind of building blocks of a follicle. I thought, you know, hair, hair is pretty merry roach, you know, try a hair farm that. So for me, it was a it had to. It depended on finding the setting and it took a while because a lot of places didn't write back. The folks at stems and Therapeutics may they may their company rest in peace?
Speaker 1: Uh remember that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know they were great. They were so patient and so enthusiastic, and it was so interesting. It is you know, it's it's one of the more complicated chapters. And there is a mistake in there that hads to do with transcription factors, and those paragraphs are taken out of the ebook, but they're still in the hard back, which kills me because I don't, you know, I'm like transcription, I don't have the fuck transcription like oh factor, duh. That should have been a clue. It's not a genet it you idiot. So anyway, I'm sure I'll take grief for that, but from.
Speaker 1: Like from like point one percent reader.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but enough of them so but I yeah, I uh, I ended up really enjoying that chapter and I and I feel like it's it was important to have it in because there's so much confusion and so much misinformation about stem cells. People you know, getting fat extracted and fractionated and then just like put back in their knee or whatever. There's a lot of.
Speaker 1: God yeah, people getting a lot of these answer.
Speaker 2: Stem bucks is what one researcher called them. Stem bucks. They're like Starbucks, these clinics, and they're and that's completely different from what's going on in a place like stems and therapeutics or some of these verns that are working on creating dopamine producing neurons for Parkinson's, say, or islands islet cells for diabetics. So there's really good work and very promising and far along work that will be helpful for Parkinson's patients and diabetics diabetes patients. But that's different than all of the kind of like we're just going to inject these stem cells in here and see what happens.
Speaker 1: Hope for the best, hope for the best.
Speaker 2: And that'll be five thousand dollars or what you know. So I thought it was important to help people make that distinction because I had no idea.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, and it is super I mean, it's like a public service announcement, to be honest, because there's a lot of yeah, danger around these sort of quote unquote clinics. Yeah, you know, I'm curious here right at the end. You know, I've sort of I say, I've checked off all the questions that I had. I didn't write anything, but like all the questions that came up for me, I feel like I've hit them. There's always a million more things to ask. But when it comes specifically to replaceable you or just to kind of where you are in your career in your writing, is there anything that we didn't touch on? Like, is there anything that you want sort of the listeners to know about the book that we didn't get to?
Speaker 2: No, I guess I would just want people to know that it's, you know, the same. I'm very, very dedicated to keeping the books fun to read. I want them to be entertaining. They still have all the absurd footnotes and you know, it's it's another Mary Roach escapade, even though occasionally gets a little technical.
Speaker 1: I have to say I love like so I love reading out loud. My partner and I will read to each other at night before we go to sleep, and often will read out loud, especially when a book is really compelling. And one of my favorite things when I was reading this book out loud was kind of being like, okay, wait, there's another footnote. Hang out, I have to tell you this little like this little random aside. It's so much fun. Yeah, I had completely forgotten how great your footnot your footnotes are, so thanks for reminding me.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, sure, yeah yeah, there are a lot of fun for me too.
Speaker 1: And your voice is so easy to read out loud too. Some books flow, some books do not. I've always found that your books are just as alive when I read them in my own internal voice as they are when I read them out loud, and so it's just so fun to engage like everyone listening. I highly recommend, if you haven't read any Mary Roach, get the whole catalog, but you can start with Replaceable. You do a book club around this. I think it's it's great book club material because each chapter really is its own story and that's pretty typical with your books. There's there's an anthology feel, but they all connect to one another. So you can at night before you go to sleep, read it chapter and literally put it down until the next night when you pick it up for a new chapter. You'll be excited to keep going, but you'll also feel like you sort of you'll feel accomplished because you completed, you know, an entire idea within that chapter, and that's a good feeling to feel accomplished about your reading.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh, for sure, thank you so much. That's like, well said, thanks. I did not provide that script people.
Speaker 1: No, no, it's true. I'm speaking from the heart, I promise. Well, Mary, I can't thank you enough, not just for you know, taking an hour out of your day to chat with us, but also just for taking all the time out of your busy life to do the incredible work that you do to share these really important stories not just of the outcomes of this research, but also the stories of the people who are tirelessly working on the front lines, very often with little funding and with a lack of public understanding of the work that they do. Like a lot of scientists are working in a very thankless way lately, and I think that you continue to do such a beautiful job of humanizing these people and their work and bringing it into the light and into the public consciousness. And so I'm just really grateful for all that you do.
Speaker 2: Oh, thank you, well you as well. You do a lot of that yourself, and you know, podcasts are a way that people really love to take in information now, So it's so it's so important to have smart, experienced but also super engaging providers like yourself. So you know, pat yourself on.
Speaker 1: The back to stop. So everybody listening the book is replaceable you Adventures in Human Anatomy by Mary Roach And thank you for coming back everybody week after week. I'm really looking forward to the next time we all get together to talk nerdy