Speaker 1: And you are listening to video Games to the Max.
Speaker 2: Hello and welcome. It's another edition of video Games. So the next time your host, Sean Goomer Hey with me as usual mister Mark Morrison, and well, we have some interesting stuff to talk about, so we don't have like a lot of gaming stuff to get into this week. It was kind of light for both of us, but you know, PlayStation had their big business summit thing where they talked about kind of like the present and future of PlayStation. And then also Nintendo had some confirmation of rumored news that was out last week, but I didn't want to talk about it yet because it wasn't totally confirmed. So we do have Nintendo switch to sales and they're a huge number. We'll talk about that and also kind of on the heels of that, and especially with the Xbox stuff last week too, we're gonna kind of talk about who might have the best strategy going into next gen if we take a look at everything from this gen, So we'll talk about that as well. Kind of like our big topic, Borderland Spoor is in fact going to be seventy dollars, so who knows if the Randy Pistchford effect had a positive or negative on that, and we finally got a new Nintendo Direct but it might not be probably what most people are expecting. We'll get into all those things and more on this episode of video Games to the next. All right, so let's quickly go ahead and get into the thanks keeping here. So if this is your first time watching or many a time watching, we do appreciate you. This is usually when we do the show live, which you can watch on YouTube, Twitch or Facebook W two network and you know, watch us we do the show live, or you can just check it out later by subscribing to the YouTube channel and watch us there on demand whenever you'd like, if you you know, ring the bell hit subscribe, all that stuff follow It helps us out and you get to know when we do an episode of the show. But as you probably can tell, we are not the only thing on this awesome W two network channel. We have other shows that we do as well. So if you're a big fan of anime, we have the Otago Cafe. Guys. They do a great job looking at the seasonal anime that comes out each season and talking about that and then they do awards for each season at the end as well, and then you also got to the routes you're broadcasting folks, which they are usually always reviewing. Some kind of new movie just came out this week. It's the live action How to Train Your Dragon. So definitely if you're interested in movies and maybe you have watched or have not watched, and one thing what some people thought, check it out. They do a deep dive every time they do a review too. It's not just talking about the film itself, so they do a great job over there. Check them out, and they do other things like TV shows, music and all that stuff as well. So you can also listen on podcasts if that helps out. You can go find them the podcast servers if your choice, Spotify, iTunes, all that stuff. You can check us out there, subscribe to whichever show. We're all three shows. Leave a review if you want, and that helps us out even more so. Also I want to give him a shout out. You know, our buddy Randy. He brought back his Bad Brackets show, which is his March Madness style twenty fourteen bracket thing and this week I was on along with Scott Sist Scott from odder Haven and a good friend of ours, Robert Taylor, doing best video game Sequels. So I'll put a link in the description there and you guys can check it out at your leisure. It was a really fun episode, a lot of hard ones to have to decide, and you probably the final four is probably not the final four you would think you would probably pick sure as heck wasn't mine. So but hey, that's that's why you gotta you know, do the show play the games as they say. So we did play a few games here, you know, along with the whole summer game fest thing is usually Steam Nextfest, and I played one of the demos for a game that's gonna come out in a few weeks. But I'll go ahead and let Mark talk about his speaking in two here.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just been hammering through that. Uh I just could be like Academy level green Cream Leef, I think, uh something about halfway through to give her take, Ye don't enjoy it? Uh I almost we started because like there are items you can get very early on in the game that like break the game with certain characters, and I was just gonna screw it, like I want I wander to play four more four hours of this?
Speaker 2: Fair enough?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I at this point I'm just kind of screwing with you because you keep asking me when I'm gonna set up the switch To, and they say, when I finish this game. So I'm gonna I'm gonna make it as long as possible.
Speaker 2: Now you're just doing it on our purpose to see.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like I set up my switch and milk November or you know, review copy of something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we're gonna be sitting there talking about all this other stuff when Nintendo and you haven't set up the thing. I was thinking we were going to have like a whole segment on what does Mark think about the switch To? And then he goes, oh, no, I haven't even set it up yet, Like okay. Then there goes.
Speaker 3: That Young's got his though, he got the history Nintendo and he likes it. Yeah, Mario cart and he's just made Like how few physical games, like you know, actual games there are.
Speaker 2: I mean, anybody could have told you that was coming right, Like.
Speaker 3: He was like, so what what games were actually like on the cartridge? You know, not that game key thing?
Speaker 2: But like you know, I mean technically the game key cards are partially on the card because you have to put the carteres in to use it.
Speaker 3: So I imagine that is eventually going to be a nice vector for people like pirrating games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's interesting how some companies are also counting it in different ways. That Capcom actually counts that it's digital right on their sales sheet, so gonna be interesting to see if other people will count it as that as well, right, hyeah.
Speaker 3: And I was like, well, I think Kirby is but to switch one game, and I think Mario Party is, but it's also switched one game, and I don't know Cyberpunk, which interesting.
Speaker 2: Ye, Cyberpunk is actually the only one I think of the switch two games that is. Oh no, also the the Rune Factory game that's also completely honest.
Speaker 3: Everyone wants that. Everyone wants that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's actually a good game. It's just not it's not like amazing, but it's supposed to be a good game. Well, probably one of the better ones, you know, out of that third party lineup that song switch to.
Speaker 3: So he keeps trying to convince me that Earth Defense for six is like for worth playing, and I'm like, you're gonna you're gonna to need to pay me to play that game, Like.
Speaker 2: You don't want to play, you don't want to just play just to play with them.
Speaker 3: No, I have standards. He doesn't. And he keeps trying to say like, oh, this one does does stuff that know what other Earth Events for Defense Force game has done before, And I'm like, what be good? Which is still fails at like you're talking about it's the same game as every every one of those goddamn things like.
Speaker 2: And that. I mean, yeah, true, So he only has Mario Kart.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think he wants I mean he would he wants something, but there's nothing really out yet.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he doesn't even have that.
Speaker 3: He's just kind of hoping like everyone else at this point that you know, Donkey Kong is like halfway decent too.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well we'll have to see. We'll get to We'll get to Donkey Kong in a little bit here, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I'm glad he had to like to know that he likes it. Yeah, that's that's a good deal. Randy also just now got back into being able to get into gaming again after having to be off for a while because of his job or go into that World Series thing he had to broadcast. So he said that he just got game Pass again. He's played a little bit of Claire obscure, So maybe when we have him on in a few weeks, the wax poetic about this strending too, he'll.
Speaker 3: Need to get back to Claire obscure.
Speaker 2: And he yeah, he said that he did get a finished split fiction finally. He's been playing that with his wife, and he said that not as good as it takes too. He said it felt long at times, and it was kind of frustrating. His wife was also very much you know, she's she's not like one of these, Like she is very much a gamer as well. She's not like a casual gamer just playing because you know, it's something you can play with your your significant other or whatever. So like it was frustrating her with all the different mechanics and stuff like that, he said. And the story is not not as good as either, he said, so.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I agree. Oh yeah, Like it's very it's very like no no Dugs is gonna happen or you know, like very obvious.
Speaker 2: So it's gonna be interesting to see if it if it ends up making the like game of the Year conversation when we get to the end of the year, Like I definitely, you know, best family game and multiplayer game. That kind of thing that it'll definitely be there, but I.
Speaker 3: Think I might be nominated, but I think Mario World will take that, like no question.
Speaker 2: Yeah, like probably so. But I'm just saying like, there's still quite a bit of stuff coming that we haven't gotten to in this year, and I wonder if because of how early Split Fiction came out, Uh, will it be a Game of the Year conversation when we get down to that, right?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: Yeah, because I mean it's sold well in everything, right and it got great reviews.
Speaker 3: But you know, once they make that movie, it'll come back up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm sure. But all right, I guess to get to the one game that I played rather extensively, I had an idea to at least have played a couple of hours of The Altars before we did the show, because that's been getting with a good reviews and it's on game Pass and I've ot just was not letting me have it where I could play, and do you know, I just today at work was terrible, had no way to be able to play anything. So I was just like, well, I'm just gonna talk about the one game I got to play on Saturday, and then that's that's pretty much it. I guess, so the Steam Next Best ended today. Technically I downloaded a bunch of demos. I have no idea, I guess until I come back to them again when day. How many of them are still playable? Right, because you know how that works. Some of them don't work when that Next Best ends, and some of them still stay on. But I checked out a game that's available gonna be a little one everything on PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, NPC called a Roughie in the Riverside. It's very like cartoony looking you probably, I think. I'm pretty sure they showed it off at the Switch Indie World, and I'm sure they've shown it off at other like indie showcases and the time that, you know, not just the Summer Game Fest, but other ones as well. It has this like raccoon ish looking character that has like a like a little cap on his head and he has a little bee for a buddy. And it's essentially, I want to say, if I'm going to compare it to something, it's almost like an indie version of Mario sixty four because it has a lot of the like, Okay, it's set in this overworld thing and you can explore the overworld area. But then it also has the same kind of like the levels require stars for you to unlock the next level, so you have to find the stars in the level that you're in, or get stars from around the overworld because there's various like NPC characters that have little things for you to do where you can get stars as well. And yeah, I mean it, it's so like if you like three D platformers, yeah, they don't make a lot of them. You know. We just had to talk about platonic like doing layoffs recently, and they.
Speaker 3: Were kind of got to support them when you can, you don't really care.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, So and this one comes out, you know, June's, so you know, if you're interested at all, I would definitely check it out. I had a lot of fun with it. Also sucks that it's a demo so it has no savings, so I had to wind up playing it like I think three different times because I had to exit out to do something on my laptop and then you know, lost it there. But Tad, you know, yeah, you learn how See I am not very I'm trying to get back into the doing the PC gaming things since you know it's gonna probably be a while since I get my new laptop, so it's like, well, might as well get used out of this this one that I still have here. And also because I'm definitely not getting that Xbox handheld things too much money, even even doing something like a firm or whatever, I could use a laptop is like, just use like a little bit more of than that and get a pretty good one, you know. So I'd rather just put more money onto that and get the laptop than I need instead of buying a handheld that I may use for a while and then you know, wind up maybe not using as much as I thought.
Speaker 3: So well, I think that, I mean, the gaming handheld will age faster than a laptop. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah that too. That's the thing is like, especially the Rog maybe not so much to steam Deck, but the Rog family, because they are a computer company, you know, they make their own laptops and stuff like that. They will be iterating on the Rog ally quite often. I don't know if Xbox. Now, look, don't quote me on this, because I have not heard anyone say this except for one person, So I'm really not sure if this is true and they just misheard, because I'd imagine that somebody would have put this out there. But according to you know, min Max that I was watching their like posts SGF stuff. Jennet Garcia, who had checked out the rog Ally, she said that they were told She was told that the Xbox Ally is going to apparently phase out. It's going to cause the other allies to phase out after those come out, So for a while, those will be the only versions of the rock Ally that you will be able to buy, which I could see Microsoft maybe putting out it, putting in enough money to being like, okay, we'll do this partnership. You help us out do this, but we're these are going to be the only versions of the rog Ally, so you're forced to have the Xbox system whether you want to.
Speaker 3: Or not, you know which I think if that was the case, people would just turned to the MSI Claw or the Yeah, eventually definitely.
Speaker 2: The Steam Deck. You know, they might already that way, you know, and then obviously Lenobo now using the SteamOS.
Speaker 3: I mean also, I could I could see them really trying to do a ws trying to really distance itself with the rock Ally name or you know, their own version of it because it is so not well received apparently so if they say that, oh, this has a micro more Microsoft quality than our own quality, then people might like get a little better.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's gonna be interesting if that ends up doing well or not with the Xbox branding. Does that move the needle at allll?
Speaker 3: Here's the other thing I could I think what they should do. I mean, I don't know if to like, if this is true or if it's like locked in, but I think ass would have a better shot as actually just making like their own more stripped down version of the ally. Yeah, Like, if you want the Xbox Ones, you know with whatever game bar bullshit and all that other crap, go ahead. But if you want just a more more like, here's our version of the Steam Machine or Steam Deck. That's because even in the price of the Xbox Ones, I said they're six and eight hundred dollars. If they really like four.
Speaker 2: Hundred, I think they said they might go down to five hundred for the regular Yeah, yeah, but even then that's still expensive. That's the whole process of a p S five, you know, right.
Speaker 3: But funny enough, that's not a price on Xbox anymore.
Speaker 2: So exactly exactly, it'll be interesting, Yeah, if they like Xbox rog ally will be cheaper than an Xbox Series X. Still not cheaper than the S, but you know, right that is that is the S equivalent, I guess, so I guess it would make sense. So I mean, that's it for us as far as the gaming front goes. But let's get into PlayStation's business summit thing that they had earlier this week. Essentially, it was kind of them talking about like their strategy going forward, which we'll get into more of like everybody else's strategy looking into the Poastation six, so I won't talk about we'll save the PlayStation six part of things, which wasn't a lot but still. Also they did reveal the PlayStation plus extra and premium games, which we already knew about FBC Firebreak, which that will probably be out by the time you're watching or listening to this because it comes out on the seventeenth. That's also on Game Pass by the way. So I'm going to see if I can play with Randy, and I know you don't have either one.
Speaker 3: So person inserted in later. Yeah, here's the thing, like that ain't your type of game.
Speaker 2: Hey, but I love the Control universe, so I might give it a shot.
Speaker 3: Just to s that's the same like oh, metagar uh, Survive is worthwhile.
Speaker 2: So no, Hey, there's people that don't that like online that maybe they want to play whatever that metal Gear Online thing is going to be, uh, which they haven't said technically, but you know, I'm gonna just check it out to see how it is if obviously if if the lower stuff, I can watch it without having really going far into the game, but I do want to see how they kind of put that in and everything. But as far as the rest of it goes. We love Katamori Reroll plus the World Reverie. That's a really good collection of the remasters of the Kadamary games.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: That's on both pips four are using Chronicles hundred Heroes. You know Mark enjoyed that game. Yep, you say, Endless Dungeon five Nights of Freddy's Help Wanted to out of Field twenty forty two. And then also the is this the original of those X the Conspiracy that's going to be on premium or is that a different uh that's coming to PlayStation premium as well. And also they did talk about PlayStation Plus in this business summit thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that sex is the PS two version.
Speaker 2: Okay, so it is the PS two version, all right. Good. They did talk about PlayStation Plus in this section, and they talked about how it has increased now that that we have more subscribers representing thirty eight percent of the total subscriber base or in the extra or premium tier, which has gone up from was it seventeen and thirteen percent twenty two and sixteen percent as of fiscal year last year, and then he kind of talked about this is the reason why they feel like they could raise description prices because of more people being in those higher tiers, so it would justify them feeling that they could. Of course, this also comes on the heels of xbosate rumors about Xbox Game Pass going up as well, also because you know, they have not raised prices on the PlayStation five whereas Xbox did, so this could be a way for them to get that revenue back that they did not. They're not doing it by raising the hardware. Do you do you see them raising the price of the PS Plus and how much do you feel like it gets to the point where it's just not viable if you're raising the prices of those tiers which are already at what fifteen and or was it sixteen? And okay, fifteen and eighteen respective at this point?
Speaker 3: What about as make a higher one or.
Speaker 2: A well, okay, it's eighteen a month for the ps plus premium, and then I think it's it's like sixteen for extra.
Speaker 3: Okay, So uh, I could see a reason like maybe like a dollar or two or just having another extense of would be twenty ah and then you get it, you know, a discount if it's uh, you know, if you buy a year or something like you always do, right, Yeah, but I don't know, like for that price, Like it's kind of dumb, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously it all depends on you as a person what you're willing to spend for that.
Speaker 3: Right, Like I mean, let's if you don't care about yeah, you know, Katamari or the Hunter called a wild like when you what are you spending the money on?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean obviously it doesn't really affect people that do these things by year. If you're doing it monthly, it kind of affects you more when they raise the price. So you know, I would say that I could see them definitely doing twenty dollars for premium and then you know seventeen or like seventeen for extra. Yeah, I would definitely say that if Tony didn't have a habit of removing their own first party games from the service, I would say it's definitely more worth it if you don't have the ability to buy all those even though they do go on sale Pninzendo and you can get them a lot of them really cheap. So you know, that's up to you obviously on that. But then you know, at the rate that Sony keeps remastering and remaking things, you know, those little price drops aren't as significant anymore because now you have nicer versions, which you know justifies them charging you more right for them. So that's the thing I would say on that. But they have really upped it recently on the premium tier. Like for a while, man, it was not worth subscribing to that thing at all. They were really bad about putting, you know, having a regular cadence and releases. Now they've kind of keep timing it around, like when there's another remaster happening and they have those games like they recently had the Twisted Metal games come in because they know that the season two of Twisted Metals about to start airing or is their I don't even know right now.
Speaker 3: I think it's took a few weeks or.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's about it's gonna start, like by the time we get through this month. But you know, by the time we get to the end of the month, it will have started airing. So it makes sense to have more Twisted Metal games on there, you know, I'm just.
Speaker 3: Have the good Twisted metal games.
Speaker 2: Well, they already had one and two I think previously, so they added what like three and four was and I could see them, you know, doing the same with like Middle gir Solid for August, right, So.
Speaker 3: It makes sense that I gotta imagine that Twisted Metal show after this season is done, like they're gonna nope, we're good.
Speaker 2: We'll see you know, you never know if it does well. Maybe it's not like Peacock has a ton going on, you know as far as the shows. I mean, you have the the staples that are still around. Poker Face just came out with season two. But it feels like, you know, when we got out of that pandemic era where people really cut back, they don't have a tonight. So you know, I would I wouldn't be surprised that maybe they keep them around for another season, but obviously depends on how well it does. Yeah yeah, so I mean play and plus if it does go up in price, not surprised. Really, everything keeps going up in price, So why wouldn't PlayStation do it if they are getting more subscribers to it, especially because you do have to at least be subscribe to the Essential tier to be able to use online play, so why not. Another thing they talked about is their PC strategy. They double down again on they are not going to just release everything on PC, and in fact they iterate, you know, they Herbert Holst pretty much said that they are being very selective of what they put on PC and when they put it on PC because they want to make make sure that essentially PlayStation five owners get the most they can out of it, especially because also the PC version will be better graphically than at least what the traditional PS five can offer, and even the PS five pro to a certain extent, so you know, they want to make sure that they're doing right by the psive owner, which is that's great to hear. If you're a PS five, you know, only console gamer or whatnot, then you have all these games and you want to make sure that, hey, you're not playing there. But I honestly think at this point, like, okay, definitely I understand for the games that haven't come out yet, like The Ghost of Yotas and things like that, but you know, the older games and still haven't come out to PC, Like, are you really losing anything by the fact that they're not there? I mean, if we're talking about even two year old games at this point, like, what more are you getting or losing by not having it on PC?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: You know, I'm not saying that they need to just start porting everything and porting it immediately and everything comes out within a two month span or whatever. You can still pick and choose, and I definitely understand there. You know you're gonna wait at least a year's strategy for the PC version because it does make it to where the shorter you put the window the more the less the more that they will be willing to wait. And they won't. I mean, obviously PC players, they're the hardcore PC Master Race people. They will definitely wait around. They don't care. You know, they want to play on Steam. They will play on Steam. But I mean, like, do you see the point in this of a still keeping a lot of things not on PC yet.
Speaker 3: Some stuff sure like I could you know, I don't think astrobot will ever actually hit PC, or if it does it I'll still like a year or we'll see. But I mean, the one, the one that ever wants is still bloodborne, and at this point I gotta imagine Sony holding it up and not from soft.
Speaker 2: It might be a Miyazaki thing because I wonder if he wants to be involved in that in some way, and he it's not like he's just his projects are just slowing down or anything.
Speaker 3: Right, Well, I mean that's I mean, that's like, uh oh, you know he's being stretched too thin then, or you know, he may want to be involved, but it's like, well, you got eight other things going on at once, and this is just gonna be like a relatively simple port job. I don't mean remaster for it, I just being imported over Like why why do you need to be involved? Or you know, like you know, you might take a meeting every week at the every Friday and see like how well I was progressing tech like technologically, but like you don't be in every meet every meeting you know, for the next years while they poured it over, like just give your stamp and be like all right, it looks good or look that looks bad. Do it over like.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I mean for the most part, most of Sony's like lineup of the I think Spider Man two recently was on it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Yeah, that was a pretty iffy port though, even compared to the first one. Liked definitely. Yeah, Like they didn't get it out early for reviews, and then when it came out as kind of buggy part, you know, part of the Spider Man fun, but and they had like take more time like fixing it than they want to do.
Speaker 2: I think for the most part, everything that's recently come out is there. Yeah, you know, with tell Blade being the most recent of all of them, and that has already sold a million copies. I mean obviously that that has a different factors to it, uh that you know, we can we can try to walk around it all we want, but definitely there is a part of that community that definitely bought that because they wanted to mess with the mods and they wanted to support that to also you know, be able to be like oh screw the West and the way they do character models and all that stuff, right, but look it still it is a great game. Let's let's not belittle that all.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: And definitely it's great to see this shift up put it on PC where it's doing well. So it does show that that strategy works for the most part. Also, they did a really good thing that they should have done a long time ago, which is removed the PSN requirement. Finally, after they think they announced that, like at the beginning of the year that they were going to do that, they did the removing Herman Holt from the co CEO thing. They announced it and then didn't do it.
Speaker 3: So they also just removed a lot of the worldwide restrictions on.
Speaker 2: Their games, which that's that you need that for PC. People are used to the whole buy your PC play it thing, not don't need to have it behind a gate of I gotta have this or I gotta have that. You know. Even Ubisoft has learned that with the please don't force the uv soft connect thing on me, uh deal. So it's it's good to see that Sony is is kind of learning to adapt with that. I understand why maybe you still need it for multiplayer, but the single player games like why it's just unnecessary, right, I'm really thinking about, like the only things that are really missing are like the older library, like all the older games from those same studios, you know, like the older Ratchets and right, you know, like like this and things like that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, some of that stuff I could see, like PS three stuff especially, is really is kind of tricky on on anything else. Like that's why they actually haven't been a ton of like PS three ports, Like you know, usually it'sket taken if it's like a previous generation game or you know, two generations together take the using the use the Xbox or sixty version, right, it's way easier. But yeah, if they poured it over, if they made like PC versions of like Tokyo Jungle or uh trash Pan Act or you know, ship like that would be awesome.
Speaker 2: Yeah. I just think it's it's almost kind of like the Xbox bringing stuff over to the PlayStation kind of thing of Like you gotta understand, they got to also like make money when they pourt that over, and if it's not have an audience, they're not going to bring that over either. So it sucks because I agree with you, I'd love to see these franchises that like Sony just won't even bother with anymore get a lease on life on PC.
Speaker 3: I mean whatever, what I've always said is they Nintendo or not sorry Nintendo, but Sony a Microsoft shuld have just built a really good, you know, PC emulator and you know, we'll plug in the game, plugging around, and we'll sell it. And the problem is like once that ever gets out, it's instantly cracked open and you can't put anything on it. But right exactly, uh, you know, that's ultimately what you kind of have to do because you know I can't. I mean, people are doing that three sixty disassembler thing, which is kind of cool, but that's a good game by game basis, and that takes a while and it's not legitimate, let's say, but still but still a worthwhile. Like Microsoft should be buying that tool and doing that during the work themselves, but they don't want to. You know how much what's the cost gain benefit of that? Probably not a lot.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, probably not a lot. But you know, so far, this PC strategy is mostly working for point station. Most of the negative stuff has been when they've tried to do the PSN requirement or just support is not good or has issues and then people have to go get refunds like which brought him into and got a war Rad and the Rock for that matter as well, or last of us support one also I think had lots of issues too. So it also doesn't help that they only have like that one studio that seems to be doing all the ports, and so you know, you can't bog them down either. But I mean also another important move is that the PS five has finally surpassed the PS four as far as active player base as of you know, last year it was like forty nine million on each and now the PS five has taken a larger shirt than the PS four. Finally, combined they have one hundred and twenty four million monthly active users, which is up even from the ninety seven million that they had last year. You know, this is also kind of leading them into talking about why, you know, the PlayStation six still needs to have the same kind of focus, because get what it's done for the PS five and PS four. As you know, people have continued to buy the PS five and then you know you have people still stuck on the PS four because of their live service game that they're playing, so it's playable on that system, you know, or whatever reason they're using it for. Like, this is a good thing. I mean, this is this is finally the great news they've probably been wanting to hear, right of people seem to finally be adopting PS five's and finally letting go of the p S fours. Right, but you think that that's is that a problem necessarily that that people are still kind of stuck on the old system or.
Speaker 3: I mean at this point it might be a bit it might be a problem of economics from there in which.
Speaker 2: Is valid, Right, It's definitely valid, not.
Speaker 3: Like except for like very specific franchises and that releasing new craft on the PS four anymore. Like, yes, call Duty will still be on it, but how much is that version kind of going to be well gimped or you know, lesser than the PS five and the current current generation versions. Right, That's that happens all the time. I mean that happened my generation and even generation before that, So yeah.
Speaker 2: It will eventually happen. Yeah to the switch to as well with the third party, I mean, I'm sure DLSS will help a lot so that they can you'll still get third party games shown up on switch To for a while, much much longer than you will would you You did with Switch one, which was outdated from the moment that that console released, whereas Switch two's not outdated right now. It will eventually become outdated, but yeah, you know, for the time being, it's fine, I'm going to switch gears pun intended, I guess to talking about switch To so we can kind of like have this all out there and then we can talk about the moving the strategy forward switch To. Last week, there was like reports from leakers that switch To had sold three million, but there was nothing official from Nintendo yet until they finally made the announcement at the beginning of this week that within the first four days of the switch To releasing, they sold three point five million units globally. They sold over a million units in Japan. The official numbers not out because they don't have numbers from the Mind Nintendo store, which would have for sure pushed it over a million. I think it's around like nine hundred thousand or something like that, just counting from retail without the Mind Nintendo store. But concerning they had like two million pre orders on the Nintendo Store just in Japan only for sure. That's that pushed it over a million in Japan. It did really well in Europe, but it didn't outdo like PS five, PS four or Xbox Series in Europe. Europe's always kind of been weird about, like you definitely have fans of each console in Europe and the UK as opposed to like Japan, America, other parts of Asia, whatever, all have like their specific one that they really like or cater to more. And that's always I always find that interesting. But still to sell three point five million units globally within four days, that is nothing to sneeze that they hold. Now they broke the record in the US of one point one million, beating out the PS four. It took them a whole month to sell two point seven million switches. Do you think that this vodes well for them to start out this well without with only having really just one major game at launch with Mario Carr World. Obviously it's the big.
Speaker 3: Rue factory game, right yeah. Yeah?
Speaker 2: And also, like I think, was it seventy nine percent of people bought Mario Kart were right, So what are the other twenty one percent of people buying?
Speaker 3: And rest of the wild Again, yeah, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Tears of the Kingdom was the third highest selling physical game, and then Cyberpunk twenty seventy seven was like number two.
Speaker 3: I know it was really fun on this well yeah my thought. Okay, Switch Chicks in June fifth, so that was eleven days ago. Yeah, six days ago that lineus tached tips guy put up a video going the most click baity are like title ever Going is the switch to already in trouble. It's like, dude, it's been five fucking days, like right talking about you know, and you're also like a PC guy like he did give it.
Speaker 2: A good h lack review overall when he.
Speaker 3: Did it, right, Yeah, but yeah, it is. It is. I really just like his like doom saying about this or do you know doom and gloom about it, and it's like shouldn't you wait wait.
Speaker 2: Like a month or you know, like right exactly, I.
Speaker 3: Don't know, I see it, of course. It's I think I think it's a kind of testament to Nintendo that like stock isn't great for this thing, but it seems a lot better than it has been.
Speaker 2: For I mean that's one thing that helps. Obviously. Matt Piss is the mis Matt pisca teller, brought it up. Yeah, let's be honest, we the PlayStation five, had it not had the console shortage, probably would have sold a heck of a lot more, but because of that shortage, they only sold like two point one million. And then you know, switch to it's everywhere. It's like, yeah, you can still walk into a store today in a lot of places and buy it. So that just shows how much stock they have.
Speaker 3: Also they're not like real like yeah, it's actually in stock like locally by me, and like Nintendo still has them for sale. Ah, So I think I think it's also a good thing that like you know, scalpers kind of get asked out on this. Yes, definitely, I want to be scummy about it. I think it's gonna happen.
Speaker 2: Like I mean, take notes Sony and Microsoft for next gen. This is what this is how you do it?
Speaker 3: Well partially if you had better online well, I mean Microsoft and Sony will at least be able that you can buy those consoles on Amazon, so that'll help.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that too. But I mean and Sony does have its like the Sony Store, which is pretty good about taking the scoppers out some they still can't fight them completely because we saw what happened with the anniversary.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah or whatever.
Speaker 2: I mean, Look, this is this is amazing for Nintendo. Uh, it's all about what you do from here. You know, for sure you will continue to sell switches switch tos, especially with the holidays coming up. You're gonna have all those people that didn't buy one now. They definitely are going to be waiting and being like, Okay, there's not anything besides Mario Carl World really that I want. Maybe I don't buy it right now, but by the time you get to November December, they definitely should have a lot more, right.
Speaker 3: And hopefully by then they'll have If not, I mean, I don't have a mark like a new mar game in November, but I hope play by then they'll have announce something, you know, Honesty two or Mario Kart sixty five or something like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then here comes the announcement which Nintendo today made two big announcements this week. Honestly, it's just so ridiculous that Nintendo has to use this app to announce things and then they don't let you take things off of it to be able to use.
Speaker 3: So like two years behind it, behind the times chechnology, you know, from a tech perspective.
Speaker 2: So you know, if we didn't have the internet, Nintendo, I think this would actually benefit you. But yo, you post something on that app, it's going to be on Twitter in like ten seconds, right, and then it's going to be put out on the gaming news sites and stuff. Yeah, they won't get the video of it, which I guess that's the whole point. You get to reap the benefits of getting to show, hey, well, you know the video that we have on Nintendo Today got watched by gazillion million people or whatnot, which you know, on YouTube you could actually go and tell people, Okay, this is how many people watched it. And I get that Nintendo doesn't get as much revenue from that, even if they get any revenue from the Nintendo Today app at all. But you know, the music thing, I kind of understand, right, Like they are very big on owning their stuff. They don't want other people, you know, having to give royalties to Spotify and YouTube and all stuff. Like I get the music part of it, but the whole news announcement part of it is kind of silly really, But whatever, you know, Nintendo does their thing. The probably the bigger of the two announcements is that there will be a Nintendo Direct has been weird for like a while, but it's gonna be all about Donkey Kong Bonanza. It's gonna be fifteen minutes of Donkey Kong Bonanza. So if you weren't sold, which a lot of people weren't on the stuff that they showed during the Treehouse, you can watch fifteen more minutes of it.
Speaker 3: Isn't this when they finally announced this as Rogan has wifed him in the.
Speaker 2: Game, that that would be you know, kind of uh something you could use on maybe mainstream media there. How are you feeling about Donkey Kong by the way, like are you kind of.
Speaker 3: Like I A would say, I'm still taking the kind of wait and see, like if their V scores are good, I may pick it try to figure it out. But you know, it's been a long as well since since the Donkey three Donkey Kalling games come out, so it's well, it has Cranky Kong or what it had, the what had the instead of the DK rapidly the DK dub stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, is they're gonna have other kN Kong character besides I Diddy seems.
Speaker 3: Like a surefire I didn't get you's like the one. I mean, I'm sure that it'll be like, you know, you'll see Candy Kong, or you'll see I Forget the Orang Dixie all the other teaty characters that like, it'll be like quest givers or they might swap into like for temporary help or something. But like, DK sixty four is such a massive game because you have to go to this lupost five times, you know, because each character has their own objectives and ship to do, and it's like, oh my god, this takes right forever. So I don't go do that, you know, least I hope not.
Speaker 2: M Yeah, I mean it is supposedly, we don't know for service, supposed to see made by the Mario Odyssey team, which I love the crap out of Mayo Odyssey. So I'm just I've hope that in this fifteen minutes they do like at least show you what the gameplay is going to be. This is the gameplay loop, but DK can do other things. It's not just destroying things twenty four to seven, and that's kind of all it is. And but you know, it looks fun. I just worry about for seventy dollars, like I don't want to buy something and then get bored of it within five hours and then it's like, oh right, you know I could have spent that seventy bucks on buying like three games instead that or something.
Speaker 3: You know. So that's why I buy physically. So if you don't like you're canas still a back real quick and get at least bucks out of it.
Speaker 2: Which I did do that with my Martyr cart eight Deluxe, and I couldn't do it with ring Fit because you know, you can't trade that in. But I did it with The Breath of the World and marcard A Deluxe and I got like thirty bucks, and I put that towards getting a pro controller too, so right which should be here, I think Wednesday or Thursday, so I can give thoughts on that, just because I want to be able to give the whole thing to an Eya and she wants to use the the regular pro controller she can because I know this joy Con suck and you know, hopefully it don't encourage her to play more stuff on Switch. But she's having fun with roadblocks on the Xbox One and she's started playing the five Nights of Freddy's. So, hey, she's gaming, that's all I care about. I'm happy for her. Well, eventually, if Split Fiction comes to EA play, I'll definitely play that with her. I still need to get her to play My Kart World, so yeah, but it'll probably play better on my Xbox. So I don't know I'm gonna go with that, but no, I I I definitely I want to be excited for Donkey Kong, you know, so hopefully they do give us that. Just also, please don't give away like everybody that's gonna be in the game. I want to be surprised. Nintendo has a bad habit sometimes of being like, oh yeah, it also has like all these other characters, and it's like, oh dang it.
Speaker 3: Thanks, it'll only be a Donkey Kong game for like three hours and then all transition to like Smash Brothers where you just play like every other Nindendo character like in the world.
Speaker 2: Do you think? So? There has been rumors for a while that, well before they revealed, you know, when there was rumors that it could be Donkey Kong game, but we weren't sure right that Mario would somehow be in it as sort of a kind of playback to you know, anniversary of Donkey Kong. Do you think Mario makes an appearance?
Speaker 3: No, but jumpman will jumpman will?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, fair enough, and maybe you can bring back at Charles Martinet the last time. It's even though they they banned him from doing that. He cannot do Mario voice on anything that is recorded, apparently.
Speaker 3: To be like a good will announcer, though.
Speaker 2: I think so. Yeah, but I wonder if he's gonna be in the new Mario movie at all, like doing other character voices like he did the first time.
Speaker 3: I mean they also fired you know, uh Peach and toes tool the voice actress, and he only did it for eighteen years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I wonder what if you're still gonna sound like them just other people? Is it really about money or is it about just okay, you wanna's have younger people doing it or what's the I mean stric yeah that too, but hopefully it is the Yeah, but we'll see. That's on Wednesday, June eighteenth. If you live in the Pacific, I'm sorry for you. That is like uh dick a m yeah. Uh but yeah. So they also announced Splatoon three Raiders update which that is already out. It's a patch that came out on the twelfth. It's going to have more detail visuals and smoother appearance for Spatoon three. And then they've they announced the Raiders, which is going to be like thirty new weapons returning stage from the original Splatoon urchin underpass a new like battle type as well. So hey, that's cool. I'm glad to see Nintendo is still supporting Splatoon.
Speaker 3: But no, what about arms Man? Come on?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 2: I think that's the team doing Dragon Drive, right, so, which I imagine that's not going to do too hot. Maybe those surprises and it will, But I just that that is by far been the one game that everybody has beligned every time they've done like a preview thing for it.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 2: So I imagine people were talking smack about it at previou event. It will not play well when you get everybody's hands on it.
Speaker 3: I heard like, it's like not terrible, but it's just you know, if it's ten dollars, it's one thing.
Speaker 2: But you know what, I'll yeah, if you're gonna charge sixty bucks for it, right then no, and.
Speaker 3: How much content is it really gonna have? You know?
Speaker 2: I could see them maybe charging forty right, No, but yeah, that's it's gonna be an interesting thing when that comes out. Another reason why you need to have Donkey Kong. Do you think do you think there's a reason why they're not doing a just having Donkey Kong being a Nintendo Direct, like a full Nintendo Direct.
Speaker 3: Name. I mean, they might want to I wouldn't say reintroduced, but really show off the character in a three D space. Like I said, it's been damn near thirty year or twenty five years since the three D Donkey Kong game's been out, so they can be, oh, this is these are his new abilities, and this is what he can do.
Speaker 2: Like well, we have seen Nintendo does like the full Direct or whatever towards the end of June usually right. But I'm starting to think that maybe they're gonna wait until after Donkey Kong Bonanza comes out because they don't want anything stealing Donkey Kong's thunder, right, Like they don't want somebody to get excited about a new Mario three D Mario and going oh, I'm not gonna buy Donkey Kong or any other I mean, you know, we know Pokemon's coming, we know Metros coming. But I think if you give somebody a date of when Metro Prime Force coming out, and maybe you have some other games that are gonna come along before the end of this year, and you maybe I don't know if they'll do an updates Animal Crossing or you know, insert one of the more popular games here that they do an update on, and it's like, then people start kind of looking at it and going, ah, you know, maybe I'll just update that and play that instead of buying Donkey Kong. And I think maybe Nintendo just kind of wants to give it that shining star status right now and then maybe after that comes out or even in August, you have the full direct that kind of leads you into here's what's coming out the rest of the year kind of thing, right, But I mean like they don't don't. That's the thing is, like they don't have like we know, Pokemon's coming in October. Have they given a date for Dragon Drive? I don't. I think they just said summer, right, right, and then Metroid doesn't have a date.
Speaker 3: I gotta imagine Metroit is this year though, I mean.
Speaker 2: Well, it's it's definitely this year. It's just they don't know yet right, Like, they haven't given a date, so it's either going to be September, it's going to be November.
Speaker 3: It'll be December twenty eighth.
Speaker 2: So it's like, yeah, that's the they have some pretty good third party stuff coming. But that's just the thing about the switch to in general. That's like they really did not give out those dev kits very early, so like everybody that's now scrambling to get them right, they're kind of behind on making games. So I imagine there's gonna be a glut of games early next year. They're going to be coming out kind of delayed, so we'll see. I guess then you got the yeah.
Speaker 3: All the ports you can imagine.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I imagine all the all the ports are coming. For sure. I forgot. I forgot about that time. I got you Plaza thing that that's coming at the end of this month. But yeah, for sure, it's it's gonna be interesting for Nintendo. But definitely Donkey Kong is that that one game they're banking on for next month to kind of be the one that carries it through for a while, so you know, hopefully for Nintendo and all the Donkey Kong fans. That it's a really good one. But that being said, we also just uh hit a one thing I forgot to mention we're talking about the PlayStation stuff is unfortunately Sony Bend has been hit with layoffs. Now they're kind of attributing this to they're laying off like thirty percent of the staff, which is around forty people according to Bloomberg, which again layoffs always suck, not a good thing. Tony's kind of attributing it to like work first reduction because they're not ramping up on a game. They're essentially starting from scratch right now because they had their multiplayer game canceled. It's just weird, like what this studio's kind of become, right like Days Gone and then they didn't let them make Days Gone too, and then they put transfer them over to doing a multiplayer game that we don't even know what it was. They canceled it, and then there it is.
Speaker 3: I mean, I'd be curious how if that Days Gone did anything well on PC.
Speaker 2: Oh the Ringmaster, Yeah, or how well it.
Speaker 3: Did on you know, PS five, you know, but you know, honestly, i'd say, hey, make another side resulter.
Speaker 2: Hey, you know, then somebody could use one of those at this point really.
Speaker 3: Obviously not fucking wrong with it, putter, So, so, yeah, like.
Speaker 2: That's the thing is, like, even if they were going to it, do you think that they could say, Okay, we'll let you do Days Gone too, or you think that's kind of like no, it's no way it's happening.
Speaker 3: I think, like I said, I think that would really depend on how well it sold recently, Like if it did sell exeedingly well, sure, like could I imagine they might, but they would reason a lot of the assets or it wouldn't be like a holy new game necessarily.
Speaker 2: Didn't they have some didn't some big game come out the same time, and like basically any kind of I can't think of it right now, but I know there was some game that like came out and it was like, okay, well if anybody was thinking about Days Gone remasters definitely not happening now.
Speaker 3: Right, But I think I don't know, bro.
Speaker 2: Oh no, I'm at the I'm at the remaster or not.
Speaker 3: I don't know. I mean, stuff gets released so quickly on fucking PC at this point, it's hard to keep track of anything, you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, part of it is just because like it felt like they just kind of put that thing out and we're just like, hey, it's there, right, all right, you know, if you're looking forward to it. Cool, We're not going to really promote it.
Speaker 3: Again. It's you can't like use Steam charts as like the most accurate barometer ever. But it sold at least twenty seven thousand copies on Steam.
Speaker 2: Okay, fair enough, Like you have.
Speaker 3: To wonder like how much at sixty bucks a pop or fifty bucks you now, that doesn't sound great, but also like how much work did that actually take to get running on PC? Probably a huge amount.
Speaker 2: Yeah, probably not a huge amount. And then on PS five, I mean probably even less because you always have the assets, you're just remastering them. I mean they did add that new mode or what not as well the you know, I don't know how that's sold. I don't know if that really sold anyone on that or whatever, but yeah, we'll see. I think it sucks for Sony Bend because.
Speaker 3: I saw this as kind of like them having to scale back down from doing their life service game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely what Tony was saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe some critical people got got asked or more superfluous people, but when did they get hired or are they around for twenty years, you know, the past thirty years of the studio, or or that it's heard on the past five years and for a network infrastructure craft that we're not making a network game anymore.
Speaker 2: So yep, yeah, I mean you're right. It's Clare Obscure came out day before one.
Speaker 3: Of those small indie games.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they just like blew up and anything that came out around and forget it. And then for the Horizon also ate it's Lunch as well on PlayStation right and older scrolls and all that stuff that came out around that time. So if you even knew the Day's Gone ring Master was a thing, you probably had to be like really really looking forward to that.
Speaker 3: I'm for the eight people still holding the candle for Days Gone too.
Speaker 2: Yeah. But yeah, moving just really quick here to get to some of the things. Borderlands four is officially going to be seventy dollars. After the scare that, you know, Microsoft Nintendo moved games over to eighty out of Worlds two officially was eighty was announced as eighty last week. There was backlash to that. There was obviously huge backlash to Mario Carl World being eighty dollars.
Speaker 3: You know, I think for certain games, okay, Mayo World kind of makes sense. They will they will sell DLC down the road like additional track for some season pass thing, but that's about it. And for Out of World's too, same thing, like they'll sell some season pass or two expansions and be like, all right, we're done. But for Borderlands or for you know, Madden or even Call of Duty, like they make the money back on cosmetics by leaps and bounds, so they I mean, can you imagine if they released NBA two K twenty six as a twenty dollars game.
Speaker 2: Oh no, that'll never happen.
Speaker 3: Well, I mean I meant like, could you just imagine it though, Like they would sell probably hundreds of thousands of more copies. Oh yeah, but also they might. I think they might actually make a lot of that money back just from the cosmetic A side or you know whatever they colin FIFA nowadays that the card packs bullshit like yeah, so yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Mean that's part of the reason why they didn't move those to eighty yet, because they don't want it.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I think I think this it was never going to be eighty because a I don't think Borderlines can support it as a franchise, especially at this point. Yeah, and then b like they'll sell They will sell the expansions like they always do, but they sell a bunch of other dumb bullshit as well so well.
Speaker 2: And I think also that blow up that happened with Brandy also, if they were thinking about it, I think after that it was kind of like, maybe we don't do that. I'm sure that Strasonic probably gave.
Speaker 3: Up, but you know, I think I think not Vice City. I think GT six is a special thing because I'm going to be eighty uh and but they won't They don't saw expansions anymore to that. They just have GTA online, right, and there is a good portion of the audience into that, but millions who aren't, so they'll play the single player and go like, all right, that's it, and then that'd be it.
Speaker 2: But there's it's such a seminal game. It's such a game that, like, like you said, it's special, like you're not going to get another GTA in this generation, so play it because you know, cherish it is worth a eighty dollars. You know you're gonna get hundreds of hours out of it.
Speaker 3: Like I'd be more into it. I mean, they didn't do if you GTAFI and we talked about they canceled, But if they'd done story deals see if you're GTA five, I would have bought it. Yeah, but they didn't. They just did like online bullshit, and I don't care about.
Speaker 2: That, so right, all right? I mean also with somebody else that had a showcase this week was Konami. They revealed more on Metal Saw with Delta and Silon Hill. F Uh, there's gonna be an online mode for Delta, but it's not going to be Meddle Gear Solid Online or Meddle Gear Online.
Speaker 3: Sorry.
Speaker 2: And also the Xbox officially will not even though I think we all knew this, Xbox will officially not have the ape Escape thing in there. They're gonna have a Bomberman thing on theirs. But perhaps even though they only showed like a minute of it, they didn't show any gameplay. They just showed like literally a title card. But the biggest news to come out of it is that Sold Hill one remake is officially being made by Bloomber Team and Konami. So that was the we don't have a name, but Bloomber team is working again with Konami on something. Is it the right call go sound hill one instead of three, or.
Speaker 3: It's only the right call? Eff After this when they do Sondhill four and three, just to really confused, fuck up the numbering? You know? Uh, I mean it's not how I guess one is fine? I sure, I guess my two points. Funny things about this. I had a friend convinced they're gonna announce some new Castlevania thing and yeah, I was like, what are you smoke? I'm just thinking like what are you? Are you smoking something or what? Like they don't have anyone at Konomia anymore. Like that's why they keep hanging. They shout out to other people like, yeah, what are you gonna do? Have Ega and the Bloodstain crew do a Castlevania new Castlevania that'd be kind of funny. But A and the other thing was like the Metal Year Cell thing, Like I know, people are pissed and it's like basically prop hunt and it's like, Yo, did you see that trailer they showed a week ago when the snake or Snake or the play a little character like got on the ground and became a bunch of rocks, like, yeah, do you not realize that then that it's going to be prop on? Like are you? Are you new?
Speaker 2: Apparently?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't know. I guess. I mean, do you care about song Hill at all? Or no?
Speaker 2: I do? Yeah, I'm glad that it is getting I mean, Simon Hill two remake was great, so I'm glad that sold Hill won.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, are you more excited for this for a sound Hill f.
Speaker 2: Yeah? For someone Hill one? Yeah, definitely, I'm more excited. I am interested in Solon Hill f uh, you know, just to see what their take on it is and hopefully the good, the good part of it can continue. It's just Bluber team is not involved, so I wonder if it will be just as good as some remake was.
Speaker 3: I think my problem at least with a lot of that from Ties and this popped up and song the brief kind of fade Songhill too. It's like the first weapon you get is like this metal pipe which is apparently indestructible, Like.
Speaker 2: Well, don't you get like a wood like a piece of wood or whatever?
Speaker 3: First? That's okay, okay, but you're still making a point like, yeah, really, weapon, I mean the Master Sword should be indestructible, some piece of the zombie ways it should fall apart in for like six hits or something, or you know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I agree with that. It's funny that, you know, we all love weapon degradations. You know, it's the themes where you think it should be there and it's not.
Speaker 3: I would say it actually kind of makes sense, songhill f because that presumably takes place in some Japanese locale. They don't have guns, but they might have swords, right, and they might have a lot of them, so that kind of makes some sense, but not in like any American town where there's a gun store on every corner. You know.
Speaker 2: Yeah, agreed, and just really quickly here, I should have missed hi when we talked about it. If Firebreak will have free updates all throughout, so hey, if you already subscribe a psbus or game pass, you get the game free, and then you're gonna get the updates free.
Speaker 3: Let me ask you this, do you think I don't know the actress is name. Do you think they get Jesse Fayden into thing at all?
Speaker 2: I think she'll make an appearance in flashbacks whatever, but not in the actual thing. Okay, because will it ever have an end? Right? Like that's the thing is, like do they have an ending point for the lower and then they just keep plugging away with the multiplayer part of it? Or is this like always going to have like little lower tib it's every time they add something and in that case, like, uh, do they have a tease that goes into control too? Eventually? Like the further it goes? Because like that's the thing too, is like you can have this idea that this game is going to last uh during the entire development that's left of control too, and then it just doesn't. Right, So does that force them to just throw in all of the story stuff like when they announce if they hopefully not? Right? I I want the game to do well because you know, the more you can help Remedy continue to gain revenue so that they can keep making those games, it's great. Right. And then obviously they have whatever the movie thing is going to be or is it a TV show? I never write that's suspend it.
Speaker 3: And like so.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so you know that's the thing is that I think it would definitely help them for that to keep going. But if there's a chance that it does to do as well as they hope, and they have to throw all that in there, like you, does it ever have a finality? It's the thing for me, But I do think she makes an appearance at some point. I just don't know if it's going to be like, oh, hey there's Jesse, you know.
Speaker 3: Right, she'll be like a raid boss or you know, like it'll be some evil version of her.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do they tie any Do they tie anything to Alan Wakettle?
Speaker 3: That'll be nope.
Speaker 2: Interesting, but yeah, well we'll definitely see what happens to that. And you know in a day or two times how much story is in that thing, right, and how much of it is just a multiplayer game. So there's also a new another Legacy of Cane remaster that's happening. This is not official. It's kind of like a Gimatsu spotted a rating for Legacy of Kane Defiance being ready for PS on PS four. This is the PS two games, so that's probably going to be added to the like PS plus at some point or whatever. Hey, that's cool. I'm glad that that series is getting a kind of second live or whatever.
Speaker 3: I mean. Definan says like, like the the PS two games were not really good. Uh, Sory for two was like passable, but I remember Blood omen two was like not great, right, and Defiance was like the last Hurrah but and the conclusion of the whole kind of franchise, and it was not the best, but it was certainly like playable and decent enough. Yeah, so sure, well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, hopefully that does well and you know, we'll see, we'll see it. I mean, that's an embracer A studio and you know, for CEO is finally going to be gone ours wing forward, so we'll see what the plan isracer.
Speaker 3: I still think that game they crushed out ten years ago, uh, not the nas goth and like multiplayer disaster, but the other one like that was supposed to get the single player a game that looked really cool, and of course I got canceled.
Speaker 2: Yeah idiotsns you guys. But all right, let's let's go ahead.
Speaker 3: There you go.
Speaker 2: No, I was just gonna move us on to the to talk about the topic here. The one thing I did not mention during that whole summit thing was that Haydaki Nashino and Herman host both. I think Nashino is the one that speaks on it, but they both mentioned when they were asked the question about, well, what about PlayStation going forward, and Nashino does mention that top of mind right now is the few sure like what they will be doing going forward, having different avenues for PlayStation gamers to have access to PlayStation and kind of just something that look PlayStation six is is getting made. People like, we are looking forward to that, We are looking ahead at that. They didn't give any kind of timeframe as to when that will happen, but you know, kind of all signs points to twenty twenty seven, as you know. But they also kind of did it in sort of like a question of they were asked about, you know, Switch to launch being well, and they kind of did it as well, it's great that we have competitors in the market, but we're not looking at what the Switch is doing. We're kind of doing our thing. We believe in consoles. We believe in you need to have the big screen experience and that's something that only PlayStation consoles deliver. And then they were also talked about like what about cloud streaming. You know, that's kind of another thing that's kind of progressing and keeps improving as things go on, and obviously, Sony themselves have added cloud streaming to the PlayStation portal, and they have cloud streaming as part of like how you can play a PS three games on PS plus and you can stream any of those games as well through PS plus if you don't want to download into your console and it works fairly well and all that stuff, and you know, he says that, hey, there's obviously multifaceted platforms. They're asked about what about Microsoft and what they're doing, and he says that they are essentially still all about the console. That's what they have faith in. You know, they can't really talk about what PlayStation six will be, but it will essentially kind of be what the PlayStation five is, but better. And they they are still all gung ho about. Look, the console is our focus. We're not trying to branch out into They are probably going to have a cloud part of that. There's rumors that they are developing their own handheld, but there's nothing concrete as of now. Really, it's just kind of like, okay, well this is what could be in it and that kind of thing. It's not nothing Sony has announced themselves, nothing that anybody with really a lot of Cachet, like, you know, the Jeff Grove Chasen Schreyer's that kind of thing, and nobody on that side has kind of come out and said, oh, this is definitely happening, by the way, whereas like it, like there was a lot of reports about, oh, the Xbox handheld is definitely happening, and that obviously got proven true with the rog Xbox A thing, whereas like PlayStation is still kind of very nebulous. We don't know, you know. So when you look at all the strategies that we see, right Switches, definitely they are embracing the hybrid handheld thing. They have continued that on with Switch to Xbox is basically we are going to be wherever the heck you are playable on. Everything moving more towards their console seemingly is going to be a PC, and Sony is just sticking there, flagging the ground and saying we are not changing. We are going to be a gaming console and that is going to be our focus. Obviously when you look at Sony is obviously also the de facto gaming console when it comes to what we think of as a gaming console, because Xbox has deteriorated itself and you know, switch to embrace what they are. Does that? Do you think that that means Playstession has the winning strategy now going into nexttion?
Speaker 3: I think yes for the next gen, but I'm more iffy about like the gen after that. It really depends still on like Internet pers relation for the world to the whole great swaths even America that are like, you know, barely dial up speeds, you know. As far as like the business, I don't I see. I don't really see the Xbox brand lasting too much longer as dedicated console box, you know, because why should it.
Speaker 2: I mean we we still don't know if they're going to I mean they just announced that they well they haven't announced because that thing was never actually officially announced.
Speaker 3: But right the.
Speaker 2: Rumors are that the x Box proprietary handheld has been shelved. They've literally been talking to the Xbox handheld since say original Xbox.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Like so I don't see him doing that, uh I I just see them at like Microsoft is getting like them as a hardware manufacturer. It's always been kind of wonky to me, like they might have like the occasional good thing, like I guess people kind of like the whatever tablet they do, forget the name of it surface surface.
Speaker 4: Yeah, but like you know, I look at like the Zoom, look at web TV and that was them, look at they have a whole history of other weird bullshit.
Speaker 2: That the phone phone that talk the Nedelas says, now he wishes he didn't cancel, but they canceled it, right.
Speaker 3: Uh, And yeah, they just have like a whole weird history of you know, physical things that technically might work but are cumbersome and weird to use. Like I just see them slowly getting out of the whole physical market or.
Speaker 2: Well, they already are pretty much right.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't mean like discs, I mean like why haven't Xbox console at all? Like this relationship on Steam and in Sony and all the life.
Speaker 2: I think from the PlayStation side of things, they have no reason to deviate from right what they're doing as far as the console goes, because they are selling PS fives. They are now ahead of where the PS four was finally, and they still have some years to go. I'm sure they would love to be further ahead of the PS four. This shit. Obviously, it doesn't help that people are just stuck with their PS fours, Whether it's for economic reasons or because they have no reason to move because all of they are free to play live service stuff is still playable on the PS four. That's going to be interesting as far as that moves. They said that supposed to the reason why they picked a m D instead of going with another manufacturer, which IBM was apparently the only other one that they were seriously considering, is because they want to make sure that they had the backwards compatibility for PS four. They want PS four to be able to be playable moving forward, which you know, we know that that's one thing Xbox has at least that you know, dedicated themselves to. They want a future proof further generations, whether it's with the console or not. Even Nintendo has done it this goal around right the switch one. For the most part, most of the games work, whether they are greatly compatible or not. Some of them don't work as well, but I'm sure they can pass that stuff out. Most of the games do work. So it seems like all of the three console makers or the Big three or whatever are at least embracing that, Hey, backwards compatibility is important for people. They want to have acted, they want to still have access to those libraries. I think from PlayStation's point of view too, is like I wouldn't be surprised if there is a handheld in development, Like you were telling me, you know, before we started recording, is there a chance to sell it gets to a certain point and they go, we don't really.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah yeah, Like and even if they do make some handheld, you know, to have some goofy feature in it or some goofy thing that turn people off.
Speaker 2: So I just I mean, the portal sold really well. I think it's sold way better than they ever expected it to. It is still selling decently, even though I always thought it was one hundred dollars more expensive than it should have been. But that's either here or no. It's sold that that regardless. I just think that like people want to have that untenderedness part of it, Like they want to not have to have the console in order to have it. It is a nice successory to the console, right, Like you can have the console plugged in, you can use it. You can cloudstream, but the cloud stream apparently is not great. Even the remote play version of it apparently doesn't work. Depending on how good your internet is in your house. That's another thing. That's another issue in itself, is like, yes, Internet should get better, Internet should improve, cloud gaming should improve, But do you really want to have a handheld that is built all around clud gaming and can't natively play those games.
Speaker 3: Like like you're talking about going from a two hundred dollars unit to a six hundred dollar unit. So yeah, it was really fun. I talked to a friend recently on Blue Sky and he was talking about like he's like, oh, now they got to switch to I'm gonna play Cyberpunk on it. And it's like, why, like, if it hasn't interested you, like he said, he believe he said PS fours and he's a PS five and craft like that, right, He's like, why would it interest you on a switch to like to play a you.
Speaker 2: Can get it cheaper on the PS five.
Speaker 3: Right, But here the mentality that you kind of do, Like he was like, oh, now that I can play it like on the go, it might be better. I'm just like, no, it won't. Like it's still the same game, you know, it's still like I'm just like, just like, if it doesn't interest you in the past five here, it's not gonna interest you now that now they can play it in the rooftop party.
Speaker 2: You know, yeah I do. I do get what you're saying there, but yeah, I would say that beyond our generation, right, the generations that are kind mean after us. You know, my daughter Randy's kids, you know, children the generation Gen Z and Jen Alpha. They don't they want to play wherever it is that they whatever device that they have the thing on. They don't want to be stuck in front of a TV that a lot of them don't even freaking watch. Let's be honest, Okay, people will watch stuff on their tablet, on their phone. They don't care about the big screen like we do, right, they don't care about the graphics, uh power of the graphics like we do.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: And then now we're starting to get to the point where it's like diminishing returns. Even though yes, switch to is going to run into the problem that when you get to the PlayStation six and then whatever the Xbox is going to be called, if the thing comes out at all, where yes, there will be that golf and graphical quality that you're gonna have to deal with. But you know, they like people used to the switch to being underpowered, right, as long as Nintendo's still making those games right. They don't care. And I do think that that's where I do think that Sony will have to whether it's the portal too or having your own handheld, is by the time we get to that and we're having gen Z and Jen Alfa older, and if they're playing games at all, a lot of them are playing on PC right, because you can then take your PC games and play them on the PC handheld or whatnot, which is why Xbox is getting into the PC handheld.
Speaker 3: Just the phone, Yeah, you can play it on the phone. I try to explain this to a friend of mine, like the switch too, because he's like, what's different about it? I'm like, well, it's bigger, you know, it's more powerful and other other craft and she's like and she's like, supposed kick it out? And I was like, yeah, like that's what you do, uh, and that's what other people do. And she's just sick why, like and she's older than us, but she was like, you know, it's had a portable system. You can't just put it in your pocket and go like and then also and she's like, wouldn't you be worried about getting damaged or stolen? And I was like you know, people should be, but they're not.
Speaker 2: Like well, I mean that's why they make carrying cases, right and most.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but like that that's not exactly okay, that's kind of missing the point though, Like, Okay, you can put it in a case, but the case can also we have stolen or I.
Speaker 2: Mean it definitely can't. But I mean a lot of people that if you're going on a bus, you're going on a train, you're going on a plane, you're going on whatever. You've got a backpack, you got something to put it in. Right, you can lock that thing if you want, and then you can use it on the trip that you're having it on and then you lock it again. It's not really I just I feel like people are are started are embracing the I want my games where I am at any time. And I do think that that that does lend to Xbox a strategy a little bit. I do think that their strategy, that's part of the strategy I think will work that will allow them, along with their library of games that the public, you know, the game publishers and all that that they own now, will make it to where Xbox will be around right. I don't think that there. Whether there's a console still that says Xbox on it is another thing entirely. But Xbox as a publisher will be a round and and I do think that that lends to their idea of we are just going to be on every freaking TV that you could possibly own. We're going to be on it. We're going to make our next console is going to be a PC, and then all of your games are going to just work on that, and then it can work on your phone and it can work on you whatever other device you have. And it's like, I do think that there is something to that where maybe you're not thinking about, oh I got to buy the Xbox console, but I can buy into this Xbox ecosystem and then I have four generations of games that I now have access to that I can go buy and thide the Microsoft Store, right, So I do think that there is that could give them a little bit of life that and then you still have game pass of Okay, that's I don't know how much gonna cost with that onoy twenty five dollars, and I can play all these games without having to buy every single one of them. And obviously part of that going digital thing that they're doing is because they are trying to be more like PC. They are trying to Hey, PC gamers are fine with not having physical versions of their games because it's all on Steam, right, Xbox just trying to do the same thing, Like why do you care? It's gonna be a PC anyway, and you're all you're gonna play all your games in the in the cloud or in the whatever. I do think cloud is gonna play a bigger factor in the next generation in enabling you to be able to have access to your game faster and all that stuff. I think if the generation goes on, it will be important, and I do think Sony is kind of connizant of that as well. It's gonna be interesting when Nintendo. Are they gonna wind up doing a switch three or do they stop at two and try to do something else Like I think, yeah, just Nintendo's gonna be very interesting because they are still in their own world, even though you know, Steam doesn't care about competing with them as far as a unit sale perspective, but they are competing with them as far as like the games that Steam Deck can play compared to what the switch to can play. And same thing with the Windows PC handheld devices and all that. I mean, do you see like where do you where do you see that kind of evolving? Do you think we're gonna have even more Windows and Steam PC handhelds or what do you think is gonna wind up happening with that? Do you think it starts contracting because there's too many?
Speaker 3: Or I think it's already ten too many? Because you got the other word weird goofy shit coming out that no one cares about or has even heard of, And I said, who who wanted this?
Speaker 2: Or you know, like there's a lot of these like retro devices too that I saw today that like, because they can stream you can also play games from that are not just like the older games. You can play like your newer games on it because it's all all through cloud streaming. Right, Yeah, that that just kind of interesting. And they're cheaper, right, They're like two hundred bucks and not five or eight hundred or whatever.
Speaker 3: Right, yeah, exactly. Like, Yeah, I have a friend who works at a company h called s u Y Suey, and they got some like weird goofy swey play looking thing and it's like why, like, like are there a ton of pre orders for this thing or I guess it sold that technically, but like how many how many do you have in the first place, and then how many do you need to scale up for this one get to be profitable?
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely, Yeah, there's a lot of those. Right if you go on social media, especially like TikTok, there's literally, yeah, hundreds of those things constantly being thrown into your face, Well buy this one, buy that one. But right, like, I think that will eventually kind of cut itself out because you can only have so many go around. Eventually, I do think technology is gonna get good enough or maybe you don't have to have the you know, one thousand dollars.
Speaker 3: One around, especially since they're all likely maybe the same satcher anyway, there's different badges on it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, like here you go. Yeah, it's just an interesting time as far as like gaming in general and like where everything is, and it does feel like everybody's kind of taking from each other a little bit, you know, So like it is, it's gonna be kind of cool to see what does win out in the end when we're talking about that next gen do is it gonna be Microsoft strategy of being everywhere is it gonna be stony just saying, look, hey, here's the console. You're gonna play it on the console. I don't know if we're gonna have a handheld, if we're gonna have another portal or whatever, but you can play on that thing, or you can still play on your phone with remote play if you want. But you got to buy our console and everything's gonna be on our console. We're still not even gonna have like day and date PC. Do you see a point where they do embrace to PC more at some point or do you think they're always going to be.
Speaker 3: Like that. I think they're always going to be like that or you know, kind of closed off, like because they've tried to kind of make like desktop PCs. You know, we're like home PCs for like gaming, like you know, the living room PC and never quite work. We're like Steam machines back in the day.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's rumors that Steam is doing that again, but now we'll see.
Speaker 3: I I think that, like a lot of people think they're just throwing more power at it for the problem is like the end answer, Like the Steam machine, even when it kind of came out, is a little underpowered or even like you know this Twitch one, but I think those machines get away with it better because they're more simple to use and not as prone to being like overly complicated. I mean the steaming. You can really fuck with the Steam machine if you want to, but like out of the box, it's easier to get into than like the MSI claw the rock ally looking into some Windows desktop, it's like god.
Speaker 2: No, yeah, So do you think that this this idea of Xbox essentially making their console a PC, like an actual fool PC with this uh you know, Xbox UI.
Speaker 3: Or whatever and to be like the original Xbox, Like, do you.
Speaker 2: Think that that has a chance of succeeding? Where you know you are now just embracing You can go to any store and you bought your game on Steam, you can play it there and.
Speaker 3: I could see I mean I no, because well I would say no because so many, so many of those games still east to come out. And Keyboard can I like, what are you gonna do? Buy the old uh Infinium Labs lap board, the Phantom Peak console that they were trying to make like twenty years ago and never came out, Like yeah, I don't know. I I don't think it'll work like because PC people like having a PC and console people like having a console, and never the twain shall really meet. Like can you imagine if Microsoft sold a console and then they're like, Okay, if you want to run this game, you have to open up this console and install a video card, like a new video card, Like fuck now, Like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean eventually, yeah, I do. Obviously, the point is that they're supposed to make it to where it'll be PC even more plug and play, where you don't have to you'll you'll install. The whole point apparently with the rock ly X what Xbox thing is that you're going to install the store one time and then you never have to go out to Windows again because it'll then be in the Xbox dashboard thing and you can just play them all off there, which you know, it's been tested, it's been done. Right, If they can do that on a bigger scale on the Xbox where you'll essentially have your PC games and it will just do the Steam thing of installing whatever it is you don't have on there for you without you really having to go in the back end and do the finding the driver that you have to install and all if it does all those things for you without you having to get out of your gaming interface. I do. I do see how that could be a plus. Obviously, The important part is that you are gonna have to you do need to make those Xbox, the older Xbox games go uh and work on that console, because you know that's that's part of it. That's part of the reason why some people are not sold on the the l X thing, because you're not gonna be able to play your Xbox Original, Xbox three sixty games. Anything that's bought on the XPOS console that is not also played anywhere at this point does not work on there. Maybe it does eventually, right, I'm sure that they're heading towards that. Like, I think that's gonna be the big gimmick with the next console is going.
Speaker 1: To be.
Speaker 2: Your whole entire library. It doesn't matter when you bought it, where you bought it, It works on here. All you got to do is download it and there you go. Who cares where you bought it. It's there, even PlayStation. Right, We'll see if PlayStation blocks it eventually, but yeah, let's see, they're not going to block it on the On the all it looks.
Speaker 3: Like also like I could see them going like, wait, that will never happened because so many games have like righteous Es and ship like that. So yeah, I mean you can and buy like a digital version on like the current Xbox of like AMP three right the music problems, and it's like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean that's that's part of the reason why the whole backward compatibility thing went away eventually, because they got to the po where they just there was no more games they could actually you know, make backwards compatible because they didn't know who the heck they're supposed to go try to reach out to in the first place.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, yeah, well Microsoft, oh JAM three right to music.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that whole thing with Activision, Like I wonder what that is, Like, are they just trying to get all of the licenses together in one go and then they will start peace Field, uh you know, putting a lot of this stuff out, or they just I wonder what they're waiting for. I'd love to know what it is that is holding that back. I I do understand they're not going to do with any with Bethesda where they're just going to drop thirty games at once. I don't think they'll do that because that is one of the things that helps make look make game Pass look good is that like, oh, here's this game that I haven't played in fifteen years or whatever that now I can play, right, you know, Tony Hawk's all remaster, but like getting that in and being able to put that into game Pass and having like, oh, that's my July game right or or yeah July, Like it's like, well, cool, that's awesome, right it is it is gonna be Like so far Sony has been able to combat the game Pass part of it and and combat the whole oh you know, but now Xbox has become the biggest publisher on their stores, so it's like it is going to be a cool like what happens with next shin? What winds up winning out? What do people gravitate towards? What does Nintendo wind up doing with their strategy? So far seeming to work the switch to so, well, let's see what we're talking about this time into the generation for Nintendo. Uh that go around? But hey, what do you think about the future of gaming? Who do you whose strategy are you a fan of or you think is gonna win out? Is it Sony, isn't x is it Microsoft? Is it Nintendo you let us know and the comments that being said, there are games, as they always do, coming out this week, like I've mentioned I think like three times now. I FBC Firebreak is one of them. Uh, that's that'll be out like pretty much now by the time you're watching or listening to this for sure, go check it out. It's gonna be on Game Pass, Gon, be on PS plus. Uh, something worth worth trying for sure. If that is not your speed, you can definitely go and date everything. You know. You can literally go on you have hundreds of versions of something in your household. You can go date if you want. There's a third party indie football game, Massimum Football. It's free to play. You can go play that. That's also going to be out now. Tronk Catalyst. That's gonna be interesting because the first tron game from uh bithel was actually pretty good, So I'm surprised you're not asking for that to review.
Speaker 3: I'm pretty neutral on tron okay any kind of neat idea, but well, you know, who.
Speaker 2: Know, Yeah, that's that's also going to be out now as well. Hell Clock is gonna be out on PC. That's was on a few showcases. The new Elder Scrolls expansion will be out as well on the eighteenth. The Ride You Remastered Mystery of the Soulist Army. That is I know you're interested in that, right Mark. That's that's gonna be a switch to game as well, along with everything else. The Slow Cap Soccer game Rematch. I will definitely be checking that out on game Pass. I'm excited for this game for a while. That comes on the nineteenth on Thursday, A Star Overdrive comes to everything else. It was on Switch for a while at launch. So yeah, there's some some cool things coming out this week. Definitely a lot for people to check out if they're a fan of any of these.
Speaker 3: You know, they Get Trilogy just hit today.
Speaker 2: Also, yeah, the Gex trilogy. I know you're you got that.
Speaker 3: No I don't have it. I'm because I aren't trying to buy the physical one. But okay, it's expensive and like some of the women had run recent collections are kind of like not great. Yeah, like that Ride I will remastered. You know I would have got it, but it's Twitter Bucks and you don't get a ton with it. You get like a figurine and like a plushy of the cat. That's kind of about it. Right, it's like, yo, that's not great.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, hopefully it does well for Atlas, you know, and leads to them being able to port or more of these other the other one and also just more of these kind of off the wall. Uh you know, sona Ish shouldn't got mu Tennessee type things. You know, we know sol Hackers two didn't do that great, but hopefully this kind of bucks that.
Speaker 3: Trend translate and bring over the Xbox one that never came in America.
Speaker 2: Right, but all right, thank everybody for watching live that did or whether you watched later or listened later, we do appreciate you. Go and uh like follow, subscribe all that stuff on the channel, Leave us a review on the podcast Divide, you know, provider of your choice. Leave us a comment on YouTube that helps a lot as well. Give us a like, Let us know what you think about all the stuff we talked about, and we'll see you next week. Everybody, Let it later,