Speaker 1: One thing about this gene is the invisible and tangibles that they have.
Speaker 2: This team is really becoming a family.
Speaker 1: Let's not play one on Tom.
Speaker 2: Let's lend it.
Speaker 3: I love writing me these guys after the show.
Speaker 4: So just thank you, give me are your attention, your fire and not a pisson.
Speaker 5: This is world champion, Dodgers, world championing for a small soft time.
Speaker 6: They get a people what they want to die too in a row two is special. I'm like, yeah, it's not a headache one of a con. This balls gone. You ready to go.
Speaker 5: Hell time, go to the su grab your phone to get in on the show called eight six six nine eighty seven two five seven. I'll go to the show and now your host of Dodger Talk, David Vasse.
Speaker 7: We are live at Dodgers Stadium after the Dodgers fall to the A's tonight eleven to one. Welcome the Dodger Talk David vas Say, live at Dodgers Stadium with you until at eleven o'clock tonight. Phone lines are open at eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It was not a good night for the Dodgers, but it certainly was a great welcome home to Jacob Wilson at one thousand Oaks High School, who hit two home runs tonight, two run home runs, both of them off a land and neck, one in the third inning, the other in the fifth inning. The first two run home run was on a slider by neck when he had his fastball working through a slider first pitch, Wilson hit a home run, the second one a ninety one fastball. No issues with that, but why is he trying to go high with that fastball? If you miss, it's right where Jacob Wilson wants it, and it's not ninety five ninety six. The margin for air is a lot slimmer when you're only throwing ninety one miles an hour high in the strike zone. The best pitch and somewhat of a lost start for a lot of pitchers these days, is throwing a fastball down and a way for a strike or something that appears to be a strike. And to me, that's where when Landon Nak was going good tonight, he was living. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number the two home runs given up by Landon Nack tonight gives the Dodger starters, twenty five home runs allowed. That's top ten in Major League Baseball. That is not very characteristic of the Dodger pitching staff. And right now they are hurting for starting pitching with Glass now and Snell on the injured list, and then earlier today the Dodgers announcing that Roki Sizaki was going on the injured list with the right shouldern pingement. That's why JP fireheis in was called up and put into the game tonight during garbage time.
Speaker 6: But not great for Suzaki or the Dodgers.
Speaker 7: And it really hadn't been great for Suzaki for the last two or three starts, you know, even in Atlanta he was getting away with ninety four, and we heard so much about this electric fastball, and we just hadn't seen it. We saw glimpses of it in his first couple of starts, but we hadn't seen the command, we hadn't seen the velocity.
Speaker 6: And now maybe this explains it.
Speaker 7: Right now, you're looking at a Dodger rotation that has Yamamoto, Dustin may, Tony Gonsolin, Landon Knack, and thankfully Clayton Kershaw.
Speaker 6: Coming back on Saturday.
Speaker 7: And then you have a bullpen Ben Kasparius type of spot in the rotation that we very well may see on Thursday, because that's when Sazaki was supposed to pitch. So that's where the Dodger rotation stands right now.
Speaker 6: And I have said this.
Speaker 7: I have said this many times over the years, Even at this stage of Kershaw's when the Dodgers seem to need him the most, he always seems to be there. And the Dodgers really need Clayton Kershaw, and he's going to be there. He is going to start on Saturday. His first start is Saturday against the Angels, when the Dodgers are in desperate need of not just starting pitching, but quality is starting pitching. And I know it's his first start of the year, so he's not going seven innings, but you never know with Kershaw, you never know. He's at least going to give them five. He's going to compete against an Angels team that's not very good these days. They are without Mike Trout. So I wouldn't put anything past Kershaw going more than five innings if he's economic with his pitches, and who's to say he won't be so again, when the Dodgers need Kershaw the most. He's there for them and he's going to be there Saturday. And we caught up with Kershew yeah before today's game, and you can hear that conversation on the iHeartRadio app. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to the phones, Manny in Valencia. You're on Dodger Talk live from Dodgers Stadium.
Speaker 2: Hi, Manny, Hey days.
Speaker 4: I think Colin got my name wrong. It's actually Awestome Blest, but it's okay. I just wanted to ask and to reiterate again, how concerned are we about the starting pitch and regarding Roki going down today? And I know Kershaw's coming back, but outside of Yamamoto and Rokieers the other you know, Blake, Snow and Glass now haven't been able to show up and haven't been able to eat and as we needed so far. So I just wanted to say how concerned we are. And then the second comment I had is, I know at the beginning of the year you said we were able to share where we were for the World Series, the first Tame the World Series last year, and I just wanted to mention that I was here alone, went once to the game by myself and I sat in top deck in section in the third row by myself, and it was an amazing time and to be a Lucie Freddy Freedman's grand slas. Anyways, always for your answerper thank you so much, David.
Speaker 7: All right, thank you for the phone call. Yeah, that's pretty cool. You know, World Series tickets are expensive. Sometimes you got to go solo, and that's a great memory for you. As far as the concern over the Dodgers starting pitching, look, as much as everybody was hyping it up to start the year, I wasn't on that train. By the second half of the season, I thought the Dodgers starting pitching rotation was going to look a lot better than what it did on opening day. You had an inexperienced Roki Sazaki. He obviously is still going through the growing pains, and now he's got something going on with his shoulder and maybe a breather mentally is good for him as well. You had Kershaw starting the year on the il. You had Tyler Glass now coming off missing the second half of last year with really no indication on what exactly was going on. And then now we're seeing kind of the same thing where the Dodgers Dave Roberts really haven't given us a clear answer of what really is going on with him, but it seems like last now may be picking up a baseball sooner than Blake Snell. We had Blake Snell on the pregame show during the road trip. He didn't seem that concern, but his demeanor today told me otherwise. And the reality is that Blake Snell picks up a baseball tomorrow and starts playing catch from sixty feet, there's going to be a build up that is going to take time for him to be able to pitch and be Blake Snell in a major league game. So that's probably going to take at least four weeks, So don't expect him back on a major league noun for at least four weeks.
Speaker 6: So that's where things are right now.
Speaker 7: And if we want to get more clarity on what's going on with Roki Sazaki, let's head downstairs to the press conference room, because that's all Dave Roberts was asked about after tonight's eleven to one loss.
Speaker 6: What's going on with Roki Sazaki.
Speaker 8: I think everything that we know is he has there's an impingement in his shoulder that it's similar to what he had last year. We became aware of this after his last start in Arizona, and from what we gather is he's felt some discomfort for the last few weeks, but given where we're at as a pitching staff, he wanted to continue to go and persevere and fight through everything until he felt that his performance is going to be compromised, and so that's when he let us know where he was at physically. Point in time. We wanted to make sure that he was taken care of physically, so we got some scans yesterday and it showed an impingement in the shoulder. And so with that information, as benign edited as it is, unfortunately where he's that, we felt what as we've done with most of our pictures, potentially all of our pictures, is air on the side of caution, and so that's why we felt to put him on the il. Let this thing calm down and build him back to where he is and he can be one hundred percent and then get him back out there.
Speaker 4: Just give him the.
Speaker 3: Chance to maybe you start over as ads to shift through some camples.
Speaker 6: Overall, basic how before times you guys would have wanted to.
Speaker 3: Sort of do the him.
Speaker 8: I think so. And obviously, you know, we didn't know what to expect this year, but to think that he was going to go wired to wired, given his track record and history of innings, probably unrealistic. So this could be that little bit of reprieve in the middle of a season that we can get him back to being healthy, feeling strong on one hundred percent and you know, help us get you know, through the World Series.
Speaker 7: All right, there's manager Dave Roberts telling us as much as he wants to tell us about Roki Sazaki's.
Speaker 6: Right shoulder impingement.
Speaker 7: And when he's talking about a reprieve in a season, that tells me he's not coming back in two weeks. Uh, this is going to be an extended period of time. And you heard Dave talk about last year. And that's what I was told from the people with his team Lote in Japan and the writers that covered him in Japan that he did, you know, be they don't have an injured list in the Japanese league, so he was removed from the roster with some shoulder discomfort. So that's what is popping up again. And you know, honestly, this is the right thing to do, because Sazaki was pitching once a week, and when he was pitching, he wasn't pitching well, let's be quite honest. And if that's what was causing the reason for him only going four innings, because he had only gone four innings in half of his starts this season. So that's putting the Dodger pitching staff in a compromised position just to give him extra days of rest.
Speaker 6: And then when you're.
Speaker 7: Only pitching once a week and going four or less innings and half of your starts, you're putting the pitching staff, the bullpen in a really bad position, not only the day that you're pitching, but the next couple of games as well. So there's a domino effect. And like I said about the starts that Tyler glassnow is having, it's not just about Glass now, It's not just about Sazaki, it's about the team. It's not just about one pitcher, it's about a pitching staff. So this was the right decision. Eight six six two five seventy is the phone number. Let's go out to Cessan. You're on Dodger Talk. Did I get that right?
Speaker 1: Yes, so I got that way, Thank you so much.
Speaker 4: Save.
Speaker 1: I just what was at the game today? I just wanted to say today the highlight for me was seeing Mookie bets son during the first pitch. That was a great experience and really funny to see him run out almost the little guy for the outfield, you know, maybe one day like his dad.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he's uh, he's got it. I mean he's got the jeans right, so that's cool. Yeah, and how about the bobblehead tonight? Sasan it's Mookie Betts running the first base in last year's Game five of the World Series and uh, perfectly done because Anthony Ruzzo is still nowhere close to first base even with this bobblehead.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that was a great, great uh job by the you know, Dodgers team to make that bobble ahead.
Speaker 2: Uh.
Speaker 1: I guess my question was really just a follow up just about the rokiesa situation just about you know, is it too early for the Dodgers to, you know, consider making a move to bring in more pitching. I just I don't know.
Speaker 6: A lot of pitching. They've got quantity, they need some quality.
Speaker 1: Now, Yeah that's true.
Speaker 7: I mean, yeah, trades are not made. Trades are not made at this time. You know what I would do, Sissan, quite honestly. Yeah, and he has been the most underrated pitcher on this pitching staff, starter bullpen. Just let Ben Caspiraus go back to being a starting pitcher. You need a starting pitcher. Ben Casparius could be that guy. And I didn't have an issue with what we saw the last time he appeared in a game where it was Jack Dryer opening for an inning and a third and then Caspirius. Those two guys have been phenomenal. But if we're gonna do this, why not just stretch out Caspiraus to be a starting pitcher. This guy started Game four the World Series. His first start in baseball and Major League Baseball was in the World Series. He's good enough to be a starter. But I'm fine also with the bulk innings type of situation for now. But I have full confidence that Ben Cospiraus could be a starting pitcher, especially where the rotation's.
Speaker 6: At right now.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I agree. I think that could be a good move, especially since he's already in house and has that experience. Anyway, I appreciate it. Dave, Thank you so much for all that you do, and you hope to call in tomorrow after tomorrow's game against the Athletics.
Speaker 6: Take care, all right, I hope you do too. Thanks for the phone call.
Speaker 7: Yeah, at this point, you know, I like what we saw the last time, the combination of Dryer and Conspiraus as a one to two punch at the beginning of the game.
Speaker 6: That really worked out well.
Speaker 7: But I have full confidence Casparius could start the game on his own, no doubt about it. Eight six to six, nine seven, two, five seventy is the phone number. How about a Major League baseball tonight? What a night. Five walkoff hits, four two homer games. One of them was here Jacob Wilson at a Thousand Oaks High school hitting a pair of two run home runs, three walkoff homers, two grand slams. Just an incredible, dramatic night in Major League baseball. And you will hear coming up after we check in with Jose Mota, two former Dodgers involved in three of their two out of the three walk off wins tonight. So we will share that with you. The radio calls of what took place in the Cubs game and the Angels Padres game. Let's go out to Sandy who is at Dodgers Stadium tonight.
Speaker 6: Hi Sandy, you're on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 3: Hi David. Well, this wasn't exactly the worst game. I think it was two years ago. It was a twelve to one loss. At least there were fireworks after that game.
Speaker 6: Sixteenth lost earlier this year too, that.
Speaker 7: Was the worst franchise history.
Speaker 3: I wasn't there for that one, but for that fit in the load section and directly next to us are the visitors, So we had tons of Yankees right directly across the aisle from it, and they were pounding on the seats in the top of the beginning and just going crazy. And then Freddy hit that home run and we were like, we were going crazy and hugging everybody, and then a bunch of us turned to them and just said bye bye and wave and they were just silent. It was the best, the best, it really was. Yeah, definitely, it was great.
Speaker 6: Hey, sounds great.
Speaker 7: Thanks a lot for sharing that great story on a night that Dodgers lose eleven to one.
Speaker 6: Thanks Sandy.
Speaker 7: Love hearing it, and all season long, I don't care if the Dodgers lose eleven to one. They went fifteen to nothing all year long, randomly. If you call in and say I want to tell you where I was when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam, you are more than welcome. Even Holly Robinson Pete shared where she was when Kirk Gibson hit his home run in eighty eight and where she was when Freddie Freeman hit his walk off Grand Slam last year here at Dodgers Stadium. A little hint, Holly Robinson Pete was in two different countries when those home runs were hit. You can call in anytime, Holly, don't let Rodney hold you back. Eight six six nine eight seven two five seventy is the phone number. We're gonna take a time out here on Dodger Talk. When we continue, we'll check in with Jose Mota and we'll share with you how two former Dodgers were involved in two of the four walk off and in Major League Baseball. Tonight no walk off here tonight A's beat the Dodgers going Away eleven to one on AM five to seventy LA.
Speaker 9: Sports on air at AM five to seventy, online at AM five seventy LA sports dot com, and available by podcast on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: This is Dodger Talk with David Bassein.
Speaker 10: One out and one on and the pitch to Wilson is lifted down the left field side toward the bullpen.
Speaker 6: Gone. That's a home run for Jacob.
Speaker 10: Wilson and the Athletics on the board it is two to nothing. Jacob Wilson with his fourth home run.
Speaker 7: Jacob Wilson at On Thousand Oaks High School comes back home and has a four hit game, a pair of two run home runs off of land and neck. That one was the first one in the third inning. The second one came in the fifth inning. Jacob Wilson a career high four RBIs tonight. He has four hits and he's hitting three sixty three. Daniels Jewelers presents the home run Forecast. Go to AM five to seventy LA sports dot Com and use the keyword home run for your chance to win a fifty dollars Daniels Jeweler's gift card predicting the number of home runs in the next game.
Speaker 6: Daniels Jewelers own the Dream.
Speaker 7: David Vase with you until the top of the hour live from Dodgers Stadium. After the Dodgers fall to the A's eleven to one. Before we hear from the two former Dodgers and their involvement in two of the five walk off finishes in Major League Baseball.
Speaker 6: Tonight, let's check in with our guy, Jose Moda.
Speaker 9: It's time to go around the horn with Jose Mota.
Speaker 7: Jose Mota filled in for Rick Monday, who is with his family for a wedding. His stepson is getting married this week, so Jose is pinch hitting like his father always used to. And who knows, maybe Manny Mota pinch hit for Rick Monday a couple of times, right, Jose.
Speaker 2: I bet he did, and I bet Ricardo Lunaz was not very happy sometimes about that.
Speaker 6: Not too many people were. How is your pops?
Speaker 2: He is doing much better on his outpatient rehab, doing quite well. Got to see him today. We'll go see him to the next few days. We're home. So he's in good spirits and hopefully he'll make an appearance at the ballpipe very soon that.
Speaker 7: Will make him feel really well, which shows up here. Hey, I got Let's talk about the good stuff with the Dodgers tonight. I've dissected the bad stuff already. Michael Confordo busting out of a slump tonight, Jose with three doubles, a career high.
Speaker 2: What do you think about that? The conviction of the swing is quite different, The foul balls were different, the play coverage was different, and the confidence obviously has gon since he started hit the ball so hard over at Miami get some results. Over in Arizona, goes three for ten and before you know it today with two strikes, driving the ball gap to gap, So a good sign they needed this. He needed this really bad and it comes in and not with everybody else pretty much was off beyond he and Will Smith and I love the fact that he's started together but really swinging the ball with confidence today.
Speaker 7: Dave Robertson was talking about that in Arizona, that even though Confordo wasn't getting the results, he liked the advance that he was taking all of a sudden, Now a three double night. Is that kind of the work that Dave roberts was seen paying off tonight.
Speaker 2: Of course, and you mentioned it very well too. Remember during spring training how much time Dave roberts spent with Michael in the backfield and just instituting in him the fact that sometimes he's got to go out there and take a very aggressive swing, don't be afraid of missing sometimes forget about the mechanics, to see the ball, hit it as hard as he can. So it's good to see a guy like this because Dave Roberts quite you know, clearly say last week we're gonna stick with him because we know there's a track record, and Michael Gofordo has never been this slow of a starter. So he figured at some point if he says whether it puts his work on what he does, it's going to come out because he's a big part of that part of that mind and you know, a bottom third and the results coming. Obviously, it's only going to post your confidence without looking for the power swing, very control swing, controlling the zone. Tonight, hopefully he'll stay right there and not look for power from here on.
Speaker 7: We were talking about the Dodger rotation. With Roki Sazaki now going on the injured list. Do you have three pitchers the Dodgers were counting on at different points in time this season all on the injured list, and Glass, now Snell and now Sizaki. What do you think about my suggestion of Ben Casparius being thrust into the rotation.
Speaker 6: Considering where things are right.
Speaker 2: Now, He's ready. He's ready for the challenge. He's up up to seventy pitches already. He can go out there and give you five or six innings. And I think he wants it, truly. I had a conversation with him over in Arizona. The way his stuff plays out, in the way that he attacks zones, and the way he's able to pitch backwards and also adapt through the lineup. I am quite sure he will welcome the challenge. I remember that one outing against a cuddler, they found something on him with a glove and he yes, he switched out off. He phrased it cubs again, and he stymied them. So they said, he's not afraid of going out there against anybody and putting someone else. The Dodgers need somebody to please get him through at least five nues because the bullpen, we know, as you.
Speaker 1: Mentioned many times here tonight, is totally overworked.
Speaker 7: Before I let you go, Jose, we talked about this before the game on the pregame show. The A's are not the Pirates, the White Sox, or the Rockies. They're a very competitive young team despite not being not really having a home, kind of being a nomad in Major League Baseball. Jacob Wilson coming home from Thousand Oaks High School. How impressed were you with Wilson seeing him in person?
Speaker 2: Watch this guy from the time he took the field for stretching, to his ground bowl routine to his batting practice, I'm not shocked at all. His daughters taught him right Thousand Olds High School, Grand Canyon University basketball skills. Something funny that I will quick out on Anatolians that in modern day baseball, he doesn't fit the mold of anybody that could be a good hitter, because baby, he has three barrels this year. Three barrels this year. Go look that up and you'll see that it just doesn't fit. But you know what, he's just a good ball player, great iq, great instincts, and he crushes his tanks great too, strike hitter, and there's not very many bad things are going to find that swing. Because also he had a fifteen pounds during the offseason. As a suggested to him, because for nice like this, if you run to something, I want you to think about driving the ball and the gaff or even out of the wallpark. So really a very nice future for that young man because he plays his game not worried about anything else, analytics or you know, eggs of a lot of city or anything like that. Just he gets a lot of bassits no doubt about it.
Speaker 7: Yeah, he gets hits. He doesn't strike out, and he doesn't walk. There's not too many players that are that good that do those type of thing.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't mind more players taking that approach and being better hitters and better better players and not getting to cut up and all the other stuff. They're being thrown out right now.
Speaker 7: No doubt, Jose, I love watching this kid play. Hopefully he has a good rest of the series, but the Dodgers get the wins.
Speaker 6: I feel like the Dodgers win the next two.
Speaker 2: It's time to stop him now. He's had a good night, so it's time to stopping now. Somebody's better go up and be that tomorrow.
Speaker 7: Okay, Jose, thanks a lot for the time, and we'll see you tomorrow in the booth as you continue to fill in for Rick Monday.
Speaker 6: There he goes.
Speaker 7: Jose Mota, part of the Dodgers Spanish radio broadcast and obviously versatile enough to pinch hit here in the booth for Rick Monday. Rick Monday will return next week at the end of this nine game Homestand all right, before we say good night, I want to share this with you.
Speaker 6: Partly. It was big games in Major League Baseball tonight.
Speaker 7: Five walk off finishes and two former Dodgers were involved in these games, one good and one not so good. So let's start with the good one, right, Former Dodger Justin Turner, now with the Cubs, came up in the bottom of the ninth inning at Wrigley Field with the Cubs down a couple of runs and was able to deliver like he did so many times for the Dodgers.
Speaker 6: Tying run a third.
Speaker 11: The pinch, I swoon a runner down the left field line, BA said, one runners in, Nico run round n third.
Speaker 6: He's heading home. There comes to throw Nico stares. Cubs win the ball game. Justin Turner with a game winn. I'm double.
Speaker 7: That was the great Pat Hughes, the Hall of Famer Pat Hughes on the Cubs radio call as the Cubs come from behind thanks to Justin Turner to beat the Marlins five to two. All right, here's the other former Dodger was involved in a walk off finish.
Speaker 6: It was in San Diego.
Speaker 7: Angels Padres tied for a piece after a leadoff walk The all time Dodgers saves leader ken Lee Jansen had to face Fernando Tattist Junior at Petco Park.
Speaker 11: And Fernando swings hits it in the air hi indeeda left center field. This one is way back good, A god walk off home run, Fernando Tatist Junior, a two run shot against ken Lee Jansen, and tonight it's the Padres who come from behind and beat the Angels six to four.
Speaker 7: That was Jesse on the ninety seven point three the fan in San Diego, and that was Fernando Tattis Junior's first career walk off home run. It comes against ken Lee Jansen, a cutter that ran inside at ninety one miles an hour, and Tatis did not miss it.
Speaker 6: So that was the good and the bad.
Speaker 7: As far as the former Dodgers that are in different uniforms now around Major League Baseball, there were five walkoff hits tonight, not here at Dodgers Stadium, as the A's beat the Dodgers tonight eleven to one. In Game two of this three game series, the Dodgers will have Yoshi Yamamoto on the mound. He's four and three with an ERA of one eighty, going up against right hander Gunnar Holglin, who is one to zero with an ERA of two thirty eight. Morongo Casino Dodgers on Deck begins at six o'clock tomorrow, with first pitch at seven ten.
Speaker 6: That'll do it for us tonight on Dodger Talk.
Speaker 7: Thanks to Colin Yee back at our Burbank studios, thanks to Dwayne McDonald out here at Dodgers Stadium, and thanks to you for listening. In case you missed any of the show, you can find it on the iHeartRadio app.
Speaker 6: And that's also where you can hear our pregame.
Speaker 7: Conversation with Saturday starting pitcher Clayton kersha Off once again. The final score tonight from Dodgers Stadium. The Dodgers fall to the A's eleven to one. Ben Mallor on Fox Sports Radio is next. We'll talk to you tomorrow.
Speaker 6: See y