Speaker 1: Welcome to the deep dive today. We're taking a shortcut really to understanding deep learning. It's everywhere, right, really is. So we've got some excerpts here from deep Learning with Python, and basically our mission is to pull out the core ideas, what's it doing, how does it work fundamentally, and maybe where it's headed?
Speaker 2: Yeah, getting the essence without you know, needing a PhD in maths exactly, avoid the overwhelm, and the book itself really tries to make it accessible. It pushes back against this idea that deep learning is some kind of like dark art. It highlights how Python and TensorFlow two specifically, plus the Caras community, how all that has made it practical for way more people.
Speaker 1: Right, So we want to give you listening a clear sense of what it's good for. It's limits to.
Speaker 2: Right absolutely, and the sort of standard steps people take to solve problems with it, you know, from computer vision to language stuff.
Speaker 1: And the author talks about how fast it's all.
Speaker 2: Moving, oh, incredibly fast. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So for you listening, if you want to get a handle on complex top pretty quickly, maybe for work, maybe just because you're curious. This is aimed at giving you that solid foundation.
Speaker 2: Core ideas, the impact.
Speaker 1: We're looking for those aha moments, keeping it focused. So you walk away feeling like, okay, I get the big picture.
Speaker 2: Now sounds good. Where should we start?
Speaker 1: Okay, let's unpack it. What is deep learning and how does it fit in with you know, AI and machine learning? Those terms get thrown around a lot, they do.
Speaker 2: It's a good starting point. So AI, artificial intelligence in the really broad sense, is just automating tasks that usually need human smarts.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: It's a huge field actually, and older than many people think. Early AI, sometimes called symbolic AI, was very different, so it was more about programmers writing down tons and tons of rules by hand, building these big knowledge databases. The computer wasn't really learning from experience in the way we think of now.
Speaker 1: Ah, So no actual learning, just following pre written instructions, basically like those old chess program.
Speaker 2: Exactly like that, just rules. Machine learning then emerged as its own thing, where the focus shifted. The idea became can we build programs models that learn from data?
Speaker 1: Okay, that sounds more familiar.
Speaker 2: Yeah. The model finds patterns in the data itself, makes predictions, makes decisions, all without programmers explicitly telling it every single rule.
Speaker 1: Right, and deep learning? Where does that fit?
Speaker 2: Deep learning is a subfield within machine learning. It's defining characteristic is using these multi stage ways of learning representations of the data.
Speaker 1: Multi stage.
Speaker 2: Yeah, think of processing the data through many layers. Each layer learns to represent the data in a slightly more complex, more useful way based on the layer before it.
Speaker 1: Okay, so breaking it down, not trying to learn everything in one giant leap. The book uses three figures right to explain how it works.
Speaker 2: It does. Yeah, it's a good way to picture. First, the basic idea deep learning maps inputs to targets. It learns this mapping by just looking at lots and lots of examples.
Speaker 1: Well, show it cat pictures and dog pictures.
Speaker 2: Exactly and tell it which is which. That's the input in the image and the target the label cat or dog. Second, this mapping isn't direct. The data flows through a deep sequence of simple transformations the layers you mentioned precisely. These layers are like steps in an assembly line. Each one does something relatively simple to the data it receives. And the third point, crucially, these transformations, these operations, the layers perform they aren't hand coded by a programmer. The model learns what transformations are useful by seeing all those examples during training.
Speaker 1: Okay, learned transformations. That feels like the core of it, doesn't it. It figures out what features matter on its own.
Speaker 2: That's the magic.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And this figuring out happens in what the book calls the training loop. Can you walk us through that? What's happening there?
Speaker 2: Okay? The training loop. So when you first create a network, it's internal settings that these numbers called weights are just at randomly small random numbers.
Speaker 1: Usually, so it knows nothing. Basically, its first guesses are a while.
Speaker 2: Pretty much guaranteed to be wrong, yeah, which means it will have a high loss score. The loss is just a number that measures how far off the network's predictions are from the actual targets. High loss means very wrong.
Speaker 1: Like static on a radio you haven't tuned.
Speaker 2: Yet, good analogy, lots of static initially, but then for each example you show it during training.
Speaker 1: Like one cap picture, right.
Speaker 2: It makes a prediction. Yeah, it calculates the loss how wrong it was for that picture, And then comes the clever part, using calculus, specifically the gradient.
Speaker 1: Gradient sounds technical it is a.
Speaker 2: Bit, but think of it like this. The gradient tells you the direction of steepest increase in the loss, like which way is more wrong?
Speaker 1: Okay?
Speaker 2: So the optimization algorithm, usually some form of gradient descent, takes that information and adjusts the weights slightly in the opposite direction, the direction that would have made the loss a tiny bit smaller for that one example.
Speaker 1: Ah, So it nudges the weights downhill towards less error.
Speaker 2: Exactly, it takes a small step downhill on the air landscape.
Speaker 1: And it does this over and over for every example, yep.
Speaker 2: For every example in your training data, usually in small badges, and you repeat this process over the entire data set multiple times. Each full pass through the data set is called an epoch epoch, got it, And as you go through more and more epochs, tweaking the waves after each badge, the overall loss score gradually goes.
Speaker 1: Down the static clears up.
Speaker 2: Right. A well trained network is one where the loss is very low, meaning its predictions are consistently close to the actual target values.
Speaker 1: Okay, that makes a lot of sense learning from mistakes step by tiny step. Now. The book also mentions other machine learning algorithms kind of for context logistic regression, SVMs, random forests. Why bring those up?
Speaker 2: It helps to see where deep learning fits in the broader picture. These are really important tools in what you might call classical or shallow machine learning. Shallow yeah, generally meaning they don't have that deep, multi layered structure for learning representation logistic regression, for instance, it's pretty simple, but still super useful. For classification, it's often the first thing you try. Like the Hello world.
Speaker 1: Of mL okay and SVMs support vector machines.
Speaker 2: SVMs try to find the best possible boundary, like a line or a plane, to separate different classes in your data. They have this neat mathematical trick called the kernel.
Speaker 1: Trick ooh, kernel tricks hounds.
Speaker 2: Fancy it kind of is? It lets SVMs handle complex nonlinear separations without explicitly calculating coordinates in a super high dimensional space. It's computationally clever.
Speaker 1: Hmm. Interesting Maybe for another deep dive. What about random forests and gradient boosting.
Speaker 2: Both are ensemble methods. They combine predictions from many simpler models. Random forests build lots of decision trees on different subsets of the data and features, then average their outputs or take a majority.
Speaker 1: Vote like Wisdom of the Crowd, but for trees.
Speaker 2: Sort of Yeah, they're often really strong performers, very robust. Gradient boosting machines are also ensemble methods, but they build trees sequentially. Each new tree tries to correct the errors made by the trees that came before.
Speaker 1: It. Oh interesting, like building on previous mistakes.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and they often slightly outperform random forests, though they can be a bit more sensitive to tuning. But again, these are generally considered shallow compared.
Speaker 1: To deep learning, right, they don't have that automatic, multi layered feature learning. So that brings us back, what is it about deepe learning that's so transformative? What's the key difference?
Speaker 2: I think the biggest thing is its ability to learn all the layers of representation jointly, simultaneously, jointly, as opposed as opposed to traditional approaches where you might have separate steps. Like first you'd manually engineer some features from the.
Speaker 1: Raw data, like counting specific words and text or finding edges and an image exactly.
Speaker 2: You'd do that feature engineering, and then you'd feed those engineers features into a classifier like an SVM or a logistic regression. Deep learning does it all in one go. The network learns the best features and how to classify based on them altogether.
Speaker 1: Ah okay, and why is learning them jointly so powerful?
Speaker 2: Because the features can adapt to each other during learning. If one layer starts extracting a slightly different, maybe better type of future, the layers above it can adjust automatically to make use of that improved representation. It's much more dynamic and integrated.
Speaker 1: So the features themselves evolve during training to be optimal for the task.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. This allows deep learning to learn really complex abstract concepts by breaking them down. You start with simple features at the bottom layers, like edges or textures in an image, and as you go up through the layers, the network combines these to learn more complex things like object parts and eventually whole objects.
Speaker 1: Like building complex ideas from simpler blocks. That makes sense. The book also touches on the pace of progress and mentions a sort of explosive phase. Where are we now? According to the author?
Speaker 2: Yeah, the author reflects on that period maybe around twenty seventeen twenty eighteen, especially with transformer models revolutionizing language tasks. It felt like huge breakthroughs were happening constantly, like the steep early part of an S.
Speaker 1: Curve, exponential growth almost almost.
Speaker 2: But the feeling, at least when the book was written around twenty twenty one was that we're probably in the second half of that S curve now, meaning meaning progress is still definitely happening and it's significant, but maybe the era of those absolutely fundamental paradigm shifting discoveries every few months is slowing down a bit.
Speaker 1: So more refinement, building on the existing foundations.
Speaker 2: That's a sensia, more incremental, but still powerful progress, finding new ways to apply these incredibly strong foundations that have been late.
Speaker 1: Okay, interesting perspectives, still moving fast, but maybe maturing. All right, let's get into the real nuts and bolts, the components. The book starts with tensors. What are they? Why are they the starting point?
Speaker 2: Tensors are basically the containers for data in neural networks. You can think of them as generalizations of vectors and matrices to potentially higher dimensions.
Speaker 1: So like a number is a tensor, a list of numbers a table.
Speaker 2: Exactly, a single number is a scaler or ranked zero tensor a list of numbers, like A vector is a rank one tensor a table of numbers. A matrix is a ranked two tensor, and you.
Speaker 1: Can have ranked three, ranked four, and so on.
Speaker 2: Yep, the rank just tells you how many axes or dimensions the tensor has.
Speaker 1: What defines a tensor then, besides the data.
Speaker 2: Itself two key things its shape and its data type or d type. The shape tells you how many elements are along each axis, like a matrix might be shape three five. The d type tells you what kind of numbers are inside, like thirty two bit floating point numbers or integers.
Speaker 1: Okay, can you give examples of real world data as tensors? Sure?
Speaker 2: Simple tabular data like customer infoage, income, whatever, It could be a ranked two tensor rows or customers columns or features. Right, time series data like daily stock prices for several stocks might be ranked three stocks time steps features like open Hilo clothes. Images are typically ranked four number of images height with color channels usually three for RGB.
Speaker 1: More dimensions for images.
Speaker 2: Video adds another dimension for time or frames, making at rank five number videos, frames, height with channels.
Speaker 1: Okay, I see how tensors provide this flexible structure for all sorts of data. So if tensors hold the data, what are the tensor operations? The book mentions the gears.
Speaker 2: These are the mathematical operations that the layers perform on the tensors. There are the calculations that transform the data as it flows through the network.
Speaker 1: Like, what kind of operations?
Speaker 2: Well, there are simple element wise operations where you do the same thing like add, multiply, or apply a function to each individual number in the tensor. There's broadcasting, which is a set of rules allowing operations between tensors of different but compatible shapes. It's very useful. The tensor product or dot product is absolutely fundamental. It's a core operation in linear algebra and use constantly in dense layers and reshaping, which changes the tensor shape without changing its contents.
Speaker 1: The book also has this geometric interpretation deep learning as untangling data manifolds. That sounds abstract.
Speaker 2: It is a bit abstract, but it's a powerful way to think about it. Imagine your raw data points, maybe images of handwritten digits are all jumbled together in a high dimensional space like a crumpled piece of paper.
Speaker 1: Okay, a messy blob.
Speaker 2: Right, A data manifold each layer in a deep network applies a transformation, a tensor operation that essentially tries to uncrumple that paper a little bit. It stretches, rotates, and folds the space that data lives in, trying to make the different categories the different digits in this example more easily separable.
Speaker 1: So layer by layer, it's smoothing out the crumpled paper until the digits written on different parts are clearly distinct.
Speaker 2: Exactly untangling the manifold. After enough layers, ideally that different classes of data will be nicely separated, maybe even by simple planes.
Speaker 1: That's a great visual. Okay, So tensors are data operations manipulate THEMMI metrically. The next piece is layers. What are they?
Speaker 2: Fundamentally, layers are the building blocks you stack together to create a deep learning model. You can think of them as modules that process data. They take one or more tensors as input and spit out one or more tensors as output.
Speaker 1: And they perform those tensor operations we.
Speaker 2: Just talked about precisely. Some layers are stateless, their output just depends on the current input. Others have internal state. This state consists of the layer's weights.
Speaker 1: The things that get learned during training.
Speaker 2: Exactly. The weights are themselves tensors, and they contain the knowledge the layer has learned. They get updated during training via gradient descent.
Speaker 1: And we use different types of layers for different.
Speaker 2: Data, right, yes, absolutely. Dense layers, also called fully connected layers are common for vector data. Convolutional layers like conv two D are the stars for image data. Recurrent layers like LSTMs or grus are designed for sequential data like text or time series. You choose layers suited to your data structure.
Speaker 1: Let's zoom it on dense layers for a second. What's the core operation they do and what's the deal with activation functions like re lu.
Speaker 2: Okay, A dense layer performs what's mathematically called an affine transform, takes the input vector, multiplies it by a weight matrix that's a tensor product, and then as a bias vector, it's basically output dot input plus.
Speaker 1: B a linear transformation plus an offset.
Speaker 2: Correct. Now, here's a really important point. If you just stack a bunch of these dense layers together doing only these Effin transforms, the whole stack is mathematically equivalent to just one single Effen transform. You haven't actually gained any expressive power beyond a simple linear model, no matter how many layers you add.
Speaker 1: WHOA. Okay, so stacking linear operations just gives you another linear operation. That seems limiting.
Speaker 2: It is. That's why we need activation functions. They introduce non linearity into the network after the fin transform in each layer.
Speaker 1: Non linearity. Why is that crucial?
Speaker 2: Because most real world relationships are non linear. If your network can only model linear functions, it's going to fail on most interesting problems. Activation functions break that linearity.
Speaker 1: And re LU is a common one, rectified linear unit.
Speaker 2: Very common and incredibly simple. It just computes max x zero. So if the input x is positive, it passes it through unchanged. If it's negative, it outputs zero.
Speaker 1: That's it. That little kink at zero is enough.
Speaker 2: It seems simple. But stacking layers with these ReLU activations allows the network to approximate arbitrarily complex nonlinear functions. It's what gives deep networks their power.
Speaker 1: Okay, ReLU simple function, massive impact because it adds nonlinearity.
Speaker 2: Got it.
Speaker 1: Now, these layers have weight matrices. You said they're initialized randomly yep.
Speaker 2: Usually with small random values. If you started them all at zero, they wouldn't learn properly. Randomness breaks the symmetry.
Speaker 1: And the whole point of training is to adjust these random weights.
Speaker 2: Exactly, to adjust them based on the feedback signal a loss, so that the network's overall transformation from to output performs the task correctly. The learned weights encode the solution, and.
Speaker 1: That adjustment mechanism is gradient based optimization. Let's break that down right.
Speaker 2: This is the engine driving the learning. The core idea is to use the gradient of the loss function.
Speaker 1: The direction of steepest descent.
Speaker 2: To figure out how to change the weights to decrease the loss. We want to go downhill on that lost landscape we.
Speaker 1: Talked about, okay, and how does it actually take the steps?
Speaker 2: A common algorithm is doochastic gradient descent or SGD. Stochastic just means it uses small random batches of the training data to estimate the gradient at each step, rather than the whole data set, which would be very slow.
Speaker 1: So it gets a noisy estimate of the downhill direction from a small sample.
Speaker 2: Exactly, and it takes a small step in that estimated downhill direction updating the weights. The size of that step is controlled by the learning rate.
Speaker 1: Ah, the learning rate.
Speaker 2: That sounds important, it's critical. Too big and you might overshoot the minimum or bounce around wildly. Too small and training will take forever, or you might get stuck easily. Finding a good learning rate is key.
Speaker 1: And the loss function itself, that's what defines the landscape we're descending. It tells us how wrong we are.
Speaker 2: Precisely, it quantifies the mismatch between the network's predictions and the true target values. Different tasks need different loss functions, but the goal is always to minimize it.
Speaker 1: Now, this dissent, can it get stuck? The book mentions local versus global minima.
Speaker 2: Yes, that's a potential issue. The lost landscape for deep networks can be very complex, with many valors. SGD might find the bottom of a small nearby valley the local minimum, but miss a much deeper valley elsewhere the global minimum.
Speaker 1: So it finds a solution, but maybe not the best possible one.
Speaker 2: Potentially, yes, although in practice for very high dimensional problems in deep learning, many local minimum are often quite good anyway. But techniques like momentum can help momentum.
Speaker 1: How does that help?
Speaker 2: Momentum adds a sort of inertia to the update step. It considers the direction of previous steps, not just the current gredient. This can help the optimizer roll through small local minima or navigate flat regions more effectively.
Speaker 1: Like giving it a push to get over little bumps. Yeah cool, okay, And you mentioned back propagation earlier as the way to calculate these gradients efficiently.
Speaker 2: Yes. Backpropagation is the algorithm that makes training deep networks feasible. It's a clever application of the chain roll from calculus.
Speaker 1: Chang right for nested functions.
Speaker 2: Exactly. A deep network is just a long chain of nested functions the layers. Backpropagation starts with the final loss and works backward to the network layer by layer. Why backward because it efficiently calculates how much each weight in the network contributed to the final error by reusing calculations from later layers. It figures out the gradient of the loss with respect to every single weight in the network.
Speaker 1: Wow, without having to recalculate everything from scratch for each weight precisely.
Speaker 2: It's computationally very efficient, and modern frameworks like tensor flo have automatic differentiation tools built.
Speaker 1: In, like gradient tape and TensorFlow Exactly.
Speaker 2: You define your networks, forward pass how the data flows through, and TensorFlow, using tools like gradient tape, automatically figures out how to compute the gradients needed for backpropagation. It handles all that calculus for you.
Speaker 1: That's amazing, takes away a huge mathematical burden. Okay, so we have tensors, operations, layers, activation functions, and this gradient descent engine powered by backpropagation. Let's talk about Paris. The book focuses on it heavily. What is Keras.
Speaker 2: Keiras is essentially a user friendly interface, an API for doing deep learning and Python. Its main goal is to make building and experimenting with models fast and easy.
Speaker 1: An interface on top of something else.
Speaker 2: Yes, it runs on top of lower level tensor computation libraries. TensorFlow is the primary one, especially since Keras was integrated directly into TensorFlow too. But it was designed to be back end diagnostic.
Speaker 1: So TensorFlow does the heavy lifting the tensor math running on GPUs or TPUs, and Keras provides a simpler way to tell TensorFlow what to do.
Speaker 2: That's a great way to put it. Kearras abstracts away a lot of the boilerplate code you'd need if you were using raw TensorFlow. Let you focus more on the model architecture and the experiment design makes sense.
Speaker 1: The book mentions TensorFlow concepts like TF dot tensor and TF dot variable. How do they fit in?
Speaker 2: Well? TF tensor is just tensorflow's implementation of the tensors we've been discussing the multi dimensional arrays holding data. TF variable is a special kind of tensor used to hold the model state, specifically the learnable parameters the weights and biases.
Speaker 1: Ah So variables are the tensors that the optimizers allowed to change during training.
Speaker 2: Exactly their values persist across training steps. TensorFlow also provides all the tensor operations like matrix multiplication, addition, activation functions, etc. That operate on these tensors and variables, often mimicking the interface of NUMPI, which is familiar to many Python users.
Speaker 1: Okay, so how do you actually build a model using keras? The book mentions a few ways. Munch API right.
Speaker 2: The sequential API is the simplest way. It's literally for building a model layer by layer, and the linear stack output of one layer feeds directly into the next. Super straightforward from many common network types, like building a single tower of legos.
Speaker 1: Simple but maybe limited. If you want something more.
Speaker 2: Complex, exactly for more complex architectures, you'd use the functional API. This lets you build models that are like graphs of layers rather than just a straight line graphs meaning meaning you can have multiple inputs, multiple outputs, layers that share connections, branches, merges, much more flexible if your model isn't just a simple stack, the functional API is usually the way to.
Speaker 1: Go, Okay, more powerful, and the third way model subclassing.
Speaker 2: Model subclassing is the most flexible approach. You define your model as a Python class inheriting from karst model. You define the layers in the init method, and then crucially you define the forward pass how data flows through the layers yourself, in a method called call.
Speaker 1: So you have complete control over the computation.
Speaker 2: Total control. Great for research or really non standard architectures. The trade off is that you lose some of the automatic features of the other APIs, like easy model plotting or serialization.
Speaker 1: You have bit more responsibility, right, more power, more work makes sense. Okay, so you've built your model using one of these APIs, what's the standard workflow for training and using it. The compile, fit, evaluate, predict that's the core loop.
Speaker 2: Yeah, first you compile the model. This step configures the learning process. You tell Keras which optimizer to use, like ATOM or MUG.
Speaker 1: The algorithm for gradient descent.
Speaker 2: Right. You specify the longs function you want to minimize, but categorical cross entropy for multi class classification or MZ for regression. And you list any metrics you want attrack during training like accuracy.
Speaker 1: Okay, setting the rules for learning.
Speaker 2: Then fit yep fit is where the actual training happens. You give it your training data inputs and target outputs. You tell it how many epbos to train for and usually the batch size, how many SAMs to process before updating the weights.
Speaker 1: And Kars handles the look, the backpropagation, updating weights.
Speaker 2: All of it. You can also pass validation data to fit, so Karas will evaluate the model on data it hasn't trained on after each epoch. That's crucial for monitoring progress monitoring.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so after fit finishes.
Speaker 2: What's next You use Evaluate. You give it a separate test data set data the model is never seen during training or validation tuning. Evaluate returns the final loss and metric values like accuracy on this test set. This gives you the best estimate of how well your model will generalize to new real world data the final report card exactly. And then finally predict. You give predict new input data without labels, and the trained model gives you its predictions. This is how you actually use the model.
Speaker 1: Compile, fit, evaluate, predict, got the flow you mentioned monitoring progress during fit using validation data. The book also talks about callbacks and tensor board.
Speaker 2: Yes, these are super useful validation data. As we said, let you see if your model's starting to overfit doing better on training data but worse on unseen data. Callbacks are objects you can pass to fit that perform actions at certain points during training, like what kind of actions things like early stopping. This callback monitors a metric on the validation set, maybe validation loss, and if it stops improving for a certain number of etbox, it automatically stops the training.
Speaker 1: Now that's smart. Prevents wasting time and overfitting exactly.
Speaker 2: Or model checkpoint which saves your model's weights whenever the validation performance improves, so you always keep the best version. And tensive board is a visualization toolkit.
Speaker 1: What does tensor boards show.
Speaker 2: You you can log metrics during training, loss, accuracy, etc. And view plots of them in your web browser in real time. You can visualize the model graph, examine histograms of weights and activations. It gives you much deeper insight into what's happening during training.
Speaker 1: Sounds invaluable for debugging and understanding. Okay. The book also distinguishes between regression and classification tasks. How do they differ in terms of loss and metrics?
Speaker 2: Right? The goal is different. Classification is about predicting a category label catdog, spam not spam. Regression is about predicting a continuous number, price, temperature.
Speaker 1: Age, So the way you measure success has to be different exactly.
Speaker 2: For classification, you often use loss functions like categorical cross entropy or binary cross entropy, and you measure performance with metrics like accuracy, what fraction did it get right?
Speaker 1: Right?
Speaker 2: Precision recall?
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: For regression, common loss functions are mean squared air MC or mean absolute air. These measure how far off the numerical promptions are on average, So your metrics are also things like MAE or rmc root means squared air. Accuracy doesn't really make sense for regression.
Speaker 1: Got it, Different targets, different ways to measure how close you are. Okay, let's shift to some really key concepts in developing models. Generalization, overfitting, underfitting.
Speaker 2: These seem critical, absolutely fundam Generalization is the whole point. Really, it's the model's ability to perform well on new unseen data, not just the data was trained on.
Speaker 1: You want it to work in the real world exactly.
Speaker 2: Overfitting is when the model learns the training data too well. It memorizes the noise and specific quirks of the training set, but it fails to generalize to new data. It performs great on training data, poorly on test data.
Speaker 1: Okay, memorizing instead of learning the underlying pattern and underfitting.
Speaker 2: Underfitting is the opposite problem. The model is too simple. It can't even capture the underlying patterns and the training data, let alone generalize. It performs poorly on both training and test data.
Speaker 1: So we need to find that sweet spot. Complex enough to learn, but not so complex it just memorizes. The book calls this the tension between optimization and generalization.
Speaker 2: Right, because as you train your model longer optimizing it on the training data, its performance on the training data keeps getting better, but its performance on unseen validation data will improve for a while, then peak, and then start to get worse as overfitting kicks in.
Speaker 1: Ah, So optimizing too much hurts generalization.
Speaker 2: Beyond a certain point. Yes, all the techniques for building good models are about managing this tension, finding that peak generalization performance.
Speaker 1: And how do we reliably measure generalization. The book mentions different evaluation protocols.
Speaker 2: Hold out K fold, yeah, because just looking at performance on the training set is misleading. The simplest is hold out validation. You split your data training set, validation set testing.
Speaker 1: Train on training, tune on validation, final check on tests.
Speaker 2: Precisely, you use the validation set during development to make decisions like when to stop training or how many layers to use. The test set is kept completely separate until the very end for one final unbiased evaluation.
Speaker 1: What if you don't have much data, then kfold.
Speaker 2: Cross validation is better. You split the data minus the test set into k chunks or folds. Then you train k models. Each model uses k one folds for training and one fold for validation.
Speaker 1: So every data point gets used for validation exactly once.
Speaker 2: Right. Then you average the validation scores from the k runs. It gives a more robust estimate, especially with small data sets. Iterated kfold just repeats this whole process multiple times with different shuffles for even more stability. But always always keep that final test set pristine until the very end.
Speaker 1: Got it validation guides development test gives the final score. What about data preprocessing things like scaling features? Why do that?
Speaker 2: Neural networks can be quite sensitive to the scale of input features. If one feature ranges from zero to one and another from zero to one million, the network might struggle. The larger valued feature could dominate the learning process or cause numerical.
Speaker 1: Instability, so you need to put them on a similar scale.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it generally helps training significantly. Common techniques are normalization scaling to be between zero one or standardization scaling to have zero mean and unit variants. You typically scale features independently.
Speaker 1: Makes sense. And model capacity that's about how complex the model is, number of layers units exactly.
Speaker 2: It's roughly how much information the model can store, how complex a function it can learn. Too little capacity leads to underfitting. Too much capacity makes overfitting easier.
Speaker 1: So finding the right capacity for your specific problem in data is crucial.
Speaker 2: It's a key part of model development. Yeah. Often involves experimentation, and.
Speaker 1: If your model has too much capacity and starts overfitting, you use regularization techniques.
Speaker 2: Yes. Regularization methods are designed specifically to combat overfitting and encourage better generalization. They work by constraining the complexity of the model during training.
Speaker 1: How what are some examples.
Speaker 2: Well, one simple form is just reducing the model size fewer layers or fewer units neurons per layer. Another very common one is dropout during training. Dropout randomly sets the output of a fraction of neurons in a layer to zero for each training example. This forces the network to learn more robust representations that don't rely too heavily on any single neuron.
Speaker 1: Like forcing it to have redundant pathways kind of Yeah.
Speaker 2: Another technique is weight regularization, like L one or L two. This adds a penalty to the loss function based on the size of the model's weights. It encourages the model to learn smaller, simpler weight configurations, which often generalize better.
Speaker 1: Okay, so a whole toolkit to fight overfitting. Now, the book also touches on ethical considerations. What's the main point there?
Speaker 2: It's a really important reminder that technology isn't neutral. The choices we make when designing and deploying AI systems, what data we use, what objective we optimize for, how we test it can have real world ethical.
Speaker 1: Consequences, like biases in the training data leading to unfair outcomes.
Speaker 2: That's a major one. If your data reflects historical biases, your model will likely learn and perpetuate them. We need to be aware of potential harms and actively work to mitigate them. Technical choices have moral dimensions a crucial point.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's walk through the overall machine learning workflow. The book outlines what are the big stages.
Speaker 2: It starts crucially with defining the task, really understanding the problem you're trying to solve before you jump into code.
Speaker 1: Understanding the context, the user, the.
Speaker 2: Goal, exactly what's the value, how will the model actually be used? What data do you have or can you get? And then framing that business problem is a specific mL task? Is it classification, regression, something else?
Speaker 1: So problem definition first, then then.
Speaker 2: Collect a data set. This is often the hardest, most expensive part. You need inputs, You need corresponding targets, labels, data quality and availability, or often the bottlenecks sometimes involves lots of manual labeling.
Speaker 1: Right garbage in garbage out applies strongly here absolutely.
Speaker 2: Step three is develop a model. This involves choosing a suitable architecture.
Speaker 1: Like convents for images, transformers for texts right, and then.
Speaker 2: The initial goal is often counterintuitively, to build a model that's powerful enough to overfit the training data first. Why overfit first, because if you can't even overfit the training data, it means your model doesn't have enough capacity or something else is fundamentally wrong. Overfitting proves your model can learn the training patterns. You need to reach that point before you can start regularizing, and you monitor training and validation metrics constantly.
Speaker 1: Okay, achieve overfitting, then pull back. So step four is regularize and tune exactly.
Speaker 2: Now you focus on generalization. You adjust hyper parameters like learning rate, network size, regularization strength, apply techniques like dropout, all guided by the performance on your validation set. The goal is to find the settings that give the best validation.
Speaker 1: Performance, maximize generalization, and the final step.
Speaker 2: Deploy the model. Get it out into the real world. This involves exporting it, maybe to a non Python format, integrating it into your production system, monitoring its performance live and crucially collecting data on how it's doing to feed into training the next version of the model.
Speaker 1: So it's a cycle really define, collect, develop, regularize, deploy, monitor and repeat.
Speaker 2: It's very much an iterative process.
Speaker 1: Yes, okay, that workflow makes a lot of sense. So wrapping up our deep dive today, we covered a lot of ground we did. The core idea. Deep learning uses multi layered neural networks to learn representations from data. It's built on tensors, tensor operations, layers, and powered by a gradient descent and backpropagation.
Speaker 2: The tools like keras and TensorFlow make it much more accessible to build and train these complex models.
Speaker 1: Plus understanding those key concepts generalization, overfitting, the evaluation protocols, the whole workflow is crucial for actually using it effectively and responsibly.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, it's not just about the algorithms, but the whole process around them.
Speaker 1: So a final thought for you, our listener to chew on the book mentions this interesting trade off maybe losing some cultural diversity for more intellectual or technical diversity as societies become more globally connected.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was an intriguing point.
Speaker 1: As AI and deep learning become even more pervasive, how might they influence that balance? Could they create new kinds of digital diversity, or maybe new forms of homogeneity. It's something to think about how this technology shapes not just what we can do, but maybe even how we think and interact.
Speaker 2: Definitely food for thought. The impact goes way beyond just the tech itself.
Speaker 1: Indeed, well thanks for joining us on this deep dive.
Speaker 2: My pleasure.