Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to I Am the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera you or Mike Quinn got Ray on the mic with breaking news.
Speaker 2: This is on the Ball Breaking News on Fox Sports fourteen to fifty.
Speaker 3: All right, starting off with some a little bit of a continuation of the news we got earlier.
Speaker 4: Uh, you know, we know that the men's.
Speaker 3: Wheelchair basketball team won their national tournament over the weekend.
Speaker 5: That's awesome. They've been like they've been in the finals like three years in a row.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, yeah, we have.
Speaker 3: Arizona actually has a really really good adaptive athletics.
Speaker 1: In fact, Jim Click gave so much money million to the million, six million I think last year to make them better.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, that's really something.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I kind of a caveat off that we Arizona is going to be hosting the tournament, the wheelchair basketball tournament next year.
Speaker 5: Yeah as well.
Speaker 1: In fact, our guest after the breaking news is going to be the head coach of the wheelchair team.
Speaker 4: Awesome.
Speaker 3: Also, Arizona baseball is able to get a win from Baylor. They lost the series overall, but started off that third game hot with a ten run first inning, and so they're twenty and seven now and play again on Tuesday up in Phoenix against GCU.
Speaker 5: We were in there. We went to the game on on Saturday, and it didn't look that good. It made some marriage the guy, the guy throwing hard man, he was throwing ninety seven ninety eight, but they were hitting.
Speaker 4: Him hard too.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so it's like that wasn't a great game, but it came back and won the next day.
Speaker 3: So, like we said earlier, Manuel Steven he entered the transfer portal. But it also says that Arizona's in the mix for usf wing Tyrone Riley. So I haven't seen any film on him, but you know, some mu's turnover. Hopefully, hopefully we got some some good guys coming in apart from the do.
Speaker 5: We have a point guard coming in or do we not? Not yet?
Speaker 1: No, not that I think would Who would? I think, you know, if they could get them, I don't think they can. Those the kids from Saint John's we talked about him earlier. The the best, the scores, you know, plus to twenty points a game kind of replaced them to replace some.
Speaker 3: I saw that they were looking at one of the Kado from UNC, but he ended up going to Michigan, I think while I was on the way over here.
Speaker 5: The funny thing about it is it's just opened right last week.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, and you're already a weekend and you're kind of already late because everyone's jumping in and jumping out.
Speaker 5: Yeah right, yeah, you got to be on top of it and yeah and doing it. He says, Oh, we could be patient, No you can't. You got to go after them now. Yeah, and you know I already have the money in the bag and the money already here here here, this is for you. Yeah. Well they said that Dent d the next question. Yeah he uh, he agreed in the middle of the game to go to you who wrote that? I wrote that in there, So then the paper it's like the middle of the game is the agent, I guess had agreed that he would move the game that they lost. Yeah, like yeah, it moves fast.
Speaker 4: What have you on the team.
Speaker 3: It's like it's like Bonte Davis that one year for the Colts, just went into halftime and then at halftimes like I'm doing.
Speaker 5: Yeah, something else and I'll be back in next week.
Speaker 3: No, you're not with that five star guard Braydon Berry's includes Arizona in his final five.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, that's they're they're hoping and praying for him.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I believe it. Yeah, yeah, it says.
Speaker 5: I was.
Speaker 4: I was looking at an article earlier and it said.
Speaker 3: Gilbert Arenas's kid is in his year about USC while cop Pizza in his year about Arizona.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Yeah, pretty interesting.
Speaker 1: That's the whole That was the whole deal. If they could get all those guys come here, you know, wishful thinking, right, that they would be fantastic enough, a bunch of freshmen, come on, Christie Brinkley, are you out there?
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, well you know it's a whole fab five thing. Yeah, you get everybody, get everybody together and make this super chan one one ball they play as far as I know. Yeah, good luck, hard to hold on to Yeah yeah, special you noticed that last week I did hard to handle. kJ Lewis noticed that season.
Speaker 3: All season Arizona Women's tennis rallied back to beat a CU up and ten p over the weekend and also kind of breaking well that kind of During the show, Auburn announced that Johnny Broom was gonna he is expected to play You see.
Speaker 5: That, Yes, yeah, that dude. He came back, hit a tray like shut down the rally. It's like, yeah, no one.
Speaker 1: Looked at I don't like those. I broke my leg a couple of places some one time. I don't like watching any of that. Like they played it five thousand times in the replay, they kept showing it. Stop, show we saw what happened.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there's some gross ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, well a lot of them. A lot of them don't anymore after the thisman is his injury, which is way before your time. But it's like the uh, they don't do it as much as they used to, but they you know, they still do it in basketball, like oh.
Speaker 1: Come on, you missed it. Oh if you missed it. Yeah, and he came back. You know, it was still was tough.
Speaker 4: But I always remember that Gordon Hayward won when he.
Speaker 3: Was on the Celtics, and that was Anthony. I think it was like ankle. Yeah. Also, for all those betting people out there, the odds and the lines are out. Florida is favored by two and a half over Auburn, and Duke is favored favored.
Speaker 4: By four and a half against Houston.
Speaker 5: Duke's favorite for a half Wow, Well, I'm taking that's gonna be a good game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's gonna be a great game. I don't think I've said this before. I don't think Duke can handle the physicality of Houston.
Speaker 5: I just don't. I just don't. Duke's got some size inside, and yeah, they do questions, can can you stop that? There's a bunch of there's a bunch of this.
Speaker 1: They got this. Oh but we got this, you got this, we got this. Yeah, but I would tell you know, it's like Houston. You know, Tennessee is like, you know, hey, We're gonna take you on from the outside. Houston's like, yeah, come on, yeah watch this. Houston's defense will smother you from the outside. The question is that can they Can they hold off on Duke on the inside, and then ye can It's gonna be a good weekend of basketball and all the number ones, all the Chalky's whoever. That's why I did well, I think because I had them all but not gonna win it.
Speaker 5: But I liked well.
Speaker 1: Obviously I picked Florida to win it all. I think they can do it. Yeah, we get a shoot, they get a shoot.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, yeah, I'm surprised Auburn made it this far.
Speaker 5: I didn't. I don't know.
Speaker 4: I didn't like how they ended their year.
Speaker 1: But no, they didn't. But they see, they didn't have momentum that goes tell you that momentum.
Speaker 5: Momentum, Yeah, exactly, they didn't have the momentum. Well. Well, and that's the thing about it. They looked the of all the ones, they looked the most beatable, the most vulnerable. Yeah, and so it was like when I I didn't have them picked in my final four in one of the pools that I was in, but uh, yeah, they certainly looked the most beatable. Now the question is can they come up against Florida. I don't know Florida. Florida shoots, well, it's it's over.
Speaker 4: It's gonna be their fourth time playing this year.
Speaker 5: I think so, yeah, two in the regular season, maybe one in the tournament, and then, oh, do you know what those results were.
Speaker 3: I know, I'm pretty sure they did play in the tournament. I think Florida's got two on one corner.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that wouldn't make sense to me. Okay, all right.
Speaker 3: Also, baseball started again, and the Diamondbacks are two and two.
Speaker 5: Or the Yankees, the UNFD like the Dodgers. I think the I think the Yanks are Did you see their bats? Have you seen their bats? To the bat? I don't know. I don't get they reshaped the bats, Yeah, reshaped the bats? They did.
Speaker 1: Can you well they did, and they're probably got a rule with that bats. It's just walk if it if it's wouldn't complies if it complies with the rules his rules on the back. And you're thinking, how come they didn't do this before? You know, you know who didn't. Maybe they thought, well, you can't change the bat. You get some rocket scientists out there, and they did.
Speaker 5: Obviously have you seen have you seen the shape? Yeah, it's interesting, makes sense. Yeah, I don't know. They're they're definitely crushing it because what.
Speaker 1: He has four home runs already, Judge, Dodgers are five, and I think.
Speaker 3: They are, man, I mean it makes it does make a lot of sense that it's like you would want to put the most dense part where the where it connects with the ball, like the most statistically so, yeah, crazy stuff, great stuff in the world of baseball.
Speaker 4: Keeping it.
Speaker 3: Local Suns are on a oh Man three game leading streak.
Speaker 5: Oh did you were you? It was you?
Speaker 1: I was gonna text you that same day because they be you by Boston at home and you and my boy Howard.
Speaker 5: Yeah, oh what about Themsels? Well give it time because they've lost since then.
Speaker 3: Oh they and they have been beat up bad last That one against the Celtics was one thirty two to one oh two, followed by the Timberwolves one twenty four to one oh nine, followed by the Rockets one forty eight to one oh nine.
Speaker 5: Didn't you just say that what's your name's out for about a week?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yes, uh, durance out for are expected to be they're doing.
Speaker 5: They're done, dude, I'm sorry to tell you that.
Speaker 4: Oh dude, I'm not a Sounds fan.
Speaker 5: Okay, so, but you were thinking that they were gonna be okay last week I thought they were going to be, you know, make some momentum. Have you been on the show when I talk about momentum? Yeah, how it doesn't exist?
Speaker 4: You talk about it? I think every shure exactly.
Speaker 5: You can't. I didn't tell you have the momentum. Talking about momentum, Yeah.
Speaker 3: It's always it's always momentum. And have you ever had a hot girlfriend?
Speaker 5: For two? Let the professionals tell the jokes. That was actually pretty good.
Speaker 4: Uh I was.
Speaker 3: I was actually really surprised when I saw this yesterday. You see, La made it, the women's team made it to.
Speaker 1: The number one in the country.
Speaker 5: I think, yeah, I don't know, I just thought they're they're they're centers. Well tonight U s c places Yukon, Yeah that should be you know, it's unfortunate Juju Watson she's a player. Yeah, and then uh Becker's I mean she's you watch her play Manage Beckers like she's not getting a hold lot of attention to No, She's so everyone's like going, oh, you know, she's different. So you know, everyone's was all over cal and Clark. Page Beckers is better and she's not getting the stuff and everything, you know, and they're like attributed into a lot of different things. But the bottom line is that like Kevin Clark was throwing the ball in from half court and everyone was like, oh my god, it just looked so fantastic. Page Backers is just a baller. She's she's like a like the girl side of Love of Love, but the duke guy like flag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just a good, good player. She you know, she scores forty. She dribbles gets opens from the topic.
Speaker 5: And she was at three four years ago when she came on the same she's had problems, you know, torn her a cl a couple I think a couple of times. Yeah.
Speaker 4: I think that's how season ended last year.
Speaker 5: Yeah, matter two years ago here, yeah. Yeah, But she's a she's a she's a player. She's she's a player like Uh, I remember watching Cheryl Miller. Cheryl Miller played like like a guy. I mean she played with that level of talent and ball control and body control, uh and shot making.
Speaker 6: Uh.
Speaker 5: She could play the page Page plays that plays that same way, and uh, It's it's really something to watch her watch her play. She's so much better than anybody else.
Speaker 3: Here's one that I thought was really interesting. So, you know, I think going into the tournament, we all expected Sweet sixteen.
Speaker 4: We see Duke, We'll see how it goes, you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so Joe Lenardi came out with a article today saying that Arizona was an underachiever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I thought that I saw that. What else did you say? How did it say that?
Speaker 3: So it ranked it ranked all of the Sweet sixteen teams, and how he felt that they.
Speaker 4: Ended their season compared to you know.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but I think he was he said they're an underachiever in general, just beyond you know, beyond this year. I think he mentioned about how they they you know, last they were a one seed seeds.
Speaker 1: That's always been the case. Wed about that. I don't know if it was with you, Mike, but there was one. It was always a higher seed to get beat by lower seeds. This is the first time in a while that they lost to.
Speaker 5: Right, I think that's what he was talking about, mostly on its right. Well, we've been talking about that for a long time. I mean when we were here and they lost to Saint Mary's as a two, you were like, what are we doing here? I'm trying to think Saint Mary's was the same Mary's that they loved. You know, who did they love to Princeton? Was it two? I'm not sure. Yeah, they lost a couple of years ago. When was that? No, you're ninety three ninety two?
Speaker 1: No, Well they lost to East Sannessee State and they lost to Santa Clara.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that's Santa Clara what I'm thinking about. Okay, Clara, who I'm thinking about. Yeah? But anyway, they when you know, when they you know, we lose to those teams in first second round. You know, it's like, so are they in general? Are they underachievers?
Speaker 1: I'm curious, Yeah, because because at the end of the day you brought this up to Bruce, there were I think thirteen eleven, thirteen, whatever it was to start the year. They're finished in the sixteen, right, Isn't that about where you should be finishing if you're that, If you're that, if they would have gotten to the.
Speaker 5: Eight, they would a body overachieved.
Speaker 1: But but you're wondering if they're ever going to get to the sweet sixteen. Back in the day when they were four or five and you know how good they were going to be underachieved for the year. I don't know.
Speaker 5: I don't. I don't think that they under achieved for this season. For the season. I think that they I think that they you know, they did well in the in the Big twelve. I don't think that and anybody sat there and thought that they would do better in the Big twelve than what they did. I think they fell into what we kind of hoped they would do. Who's that story in ESPN?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you need to have ESPN Plus.
Speaker 5: Yeah, already found it. Okay, you're gonna have to copy and pastes. Yeah, it's agent because it's it's true, but it's not true. Depends on the context of the story.
Speaker 4: Yeah right, No, I mean he well, we all got a little bit of time left. But he he.
Speaker 3: He also talks about how that he's like, Okay, they've made it to the Sweet sixteen back to back years.
Speaker 4: Got upset those first two years.
Speaker 3: But then he talks about how, you know, we made it to the Sweet sixteen not beating great teams though?
Speaker 5: True? Yeah, true.
Speaker 1: When you're a top seed, you're not beating great teams right right, when you're gonna play the teams that aren't. Yeah, and they should apologize for that. It's like great insight.
Speaker 5: You know. It's well, if you if you have these guys in the schedule, could we not play these guys and we play somebody else just to prove that we're worthy do got to the Sweet sixteen by not playing good teams. I don't see Leonardi sitting there.
Speaker 1: It's like, oh, let's back on, dude, Apples the apples, You're right, all right, got to go. Let's go so we can get ahold of coach Mike Beardsley from the UAA Wheelchair Team.
Speaker 7: Are you ready ready to discover your soul, your wild side, your passion, your joy and excitement. From the latest slots and table games, to award winning dining, to world class entertainment to a luxurious resort.
Speaker 5: Discover all this and more.
Speaker 7: Discover with Soul Casino, Dell Soul, the Soul of Tucson.
Speaker 5: Are you ready enterprise of Fasco Yaki Tribe.
Speaker 8: The Window Depot has everything you need to create the kitchen or bathroom of your dreams. Frowsy aisles of instock cabinets, available in a variety of sizes and configurations, and instantly elevate your space. Today, visit a showroom and let our experts guide you. Whether you're choosing for money to go designs or creating a custom masterpiece. We can help you select the perfect wood, type, color and style and top it off with unique hardware to complete your love. Find a location near you at the Window Deepot dot Com. The Window Depot more than a windows store.
Speaker 1: Steve Rivera here to talk about Dorato Rock Materials. I needed a lot of gravel for my driveway, so I called Eric at Dorato Rock. He found out the amount and color I needed and boom, it was taken care of and at a great price. How do I know radio commercials work? I heard one of his on the radio. Dorato Rock Materials provides a wide range of landscaping materials, including decorative rock, boulders, gravel, soil, and sand for residential and commercial use in the Tucson area. They are locally owned and have been around for more than fifteen years. We'll call at five two zero four zero zero for two three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equickmas Arizona.
Speaker 9: Health Arizona Health, Arizona healths.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equip from the people who know it better than anyone else. At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose.
Speaker 9: The equipment you need to reach your.
Speaker 10: Goals, your health and fitness to serve the best you deserve.
Speaker 9: Arizona Health the.
Speaker 10: Lead manage and exercise equipment on twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 11: Let's start twenty twenty five off with a bang by honoring those who did a bang up job for you in twenty twenty four.
Speaker 4: Recognize your employees.
Speaker 11: Salespeople, managers and agents with the Creative Award from Creative Awards, It's time to restock your promotional products and convention giveaway items.
Speaker 5: And Creative Awards.
Speaker 11: Has over five hundred thousand products to choose from. Don't forget your corporate apparel for a great sharp look in twenty twenty five, visit the Creative Awards Idea Center at two twenty eight West Drackman or visit them online at Creative awardsaz dot com.
Speaker 12: At Noble Home Loans, we believe everyone deserves the opportunity to enjoy the independence that comes with home ownership. Paul Volpi is ready to help you find an option that best fits your needs. Whether you're a first time or veteran home buyer or want to get cash out with the refinance. Nova has a variety of home loan programs to meet your unique situation. Visit voltepeteam dot com, that's Volpe team dot com or call five to two oh six eight five six two six today n MLS three oh eight seven Arizona b K nine two nine four two Equal Housing Opportunity, Got commitment to Lyndrixson credit rates and available loan programs or subject to change the don't notice?
Speaker 5: Did you know?
Speaker 13: Collecting sports cards is one of the fastest growing hobbies around. Whether you're looking at chart or expand your collection, Showtime Cards is your ultimate destination. As one of the leading card shops in the country, we've been serving our community for over twenty five years with the best in.
Speaker 5: Sports cards and trading card games. From rare fines to the latest releases. Showtime Cards has it all.
Speaker 13: Check them out at Showtimecards dot Com or visit them on East Speedway and discover why collectors everywhere truy Showtime Cards for their passion.
Speaker 11: Richard Bacall Law Office, defending Arizonas for over thirty years and a Wildcat fan for over sixty. If you need an experienced criminal defense attorney, Richard Ricall five two oh seven to four to h twelve thirteen, broud sponsor of Eye on the Ball.
Speaker 14: Go cats, got bugs, termites, bees, or rodents, Arizona Pest Control will hunt them down. Arizona Pest Control is your complete desert pest management specialist. Tests can't run or hide from Arizona Pest Control. They use only the latest and most technologically advanced methods of pest elimination available, which minimizes the effects on the environment. Let Arizona Pest Control get rid of your bad bugs, termitespees, or rodents serving Tucson and Southern Arizona since nineteen forty seven. Go to azypest dot com to schedule your free evaluation today.
Speaker 4: Why is mining so important.
Speaker 15: It's the foundation of everything that defines a society. Everything you see is a product of mine, no matter when, no matter how, no matter why. Every society on this planet has developed, grown, and modernized based solely on the mineral's eighth process. That's is so gonybm dot com.
Speaker 8: If you're feeling overwhelmed by the thought of a home remodel, don't stress. The Window Depot is here to help. At the Window Depot, we're your one stoff warehouse for everything you need for your next remodel. Windows, check doors, got it, cabinets, countertops, and everything in between.
Speaker 9: You'll find it all.
Speaker 8: Here at the lowest prices. Whether it's a kitchen, bathroom, or whole home makeover, Our experienced designers are ready to bring your dream home to life, all at unbeatable prices. Find a location near you. Our shop online at the Window Deepot dot Com, the Window Depot more than a Windows Store.
Speaker 2: Streamy Live on the iHeartRadio WAP. This is I on the Ball with Steve Rivera on Fox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to WY on the Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera, and today with me is Mike Quinn and we go ready behind the mic. Here now on the phone, you have Michael Beardsley from the U of A Men's wheelchair team, the national champion, National champion.
Speaker 5: Fantastic, Yeah, congratulations, I mean, holy moly, Yes, Michael. How do you guys feel today? Oh?
Speaker 16: Yeah, we're still We're still riding as high and just enjoying the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we were talking before you came on, maybe last hour, just how how the program itself, the adaptive sports program U of A is always top notch, and you guys kind of just prove that with this.
Speaker 16: Yeah, big validation for us to get this national title. It was our first one. So it was a great feeling, great for the community and kind of proven that the sport that the university puts into us pays off.
Speaker 5: You had been knock you been there before.
Speaker 16: Yeah, we lost the previous two and this year we just we just had to have to get it done. We had we had a great group and four of the starters had played in those two previous losses. So I think that really helped with our composure and being able to get over the hump makes a big shots and you know, realize that that the ups and downs of the game are going to come.
Speaker 5: So the past impacted the future.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it really did. Yeah, it did. We we learned a lot from the first couple of years, you know, being up being a younger program and myself being a younger coach, just how to navigate that tournament and really prepare for it and prepare the athletes mentally physically.
Speaker 5: Were you the coach the previous times? Do and how long have you been doing it?
Speaker 14: Yeah?
Speaker 16: So I've been the head coach since twenty nineteen and before that, I was the assistant coach since twenty fourteen, so we've had our fair share. In twenty nineteen, that's when we officially joined the College Division. Before that, we were a mixture of community members and students, and in twenty nineteen we decided to go one students, which qualified us for the College Division. And now we're competing against other universities that also provides scholarships and you know, do the whole twenty hours a week of training and all that good stuff. So very competitive and we're very proud.
Speaker 5: So you're gonna lose anybody to the.
Speaker 16: Portal potentially, potentially we'll see you never know, you know who you're gonna lose or who's going to come back. But we got a great group coming back while we're anticipating. We got some really big recruits on so we're really excited to have them.
Speaker 5: I joke, I joke. But that doesn't affect you, does it?
Speaker 16: Not really in the in the way that it would with the athletics program with an io and all that. Where we kind of lack is scholarships. So there's other programs like Alabama Auburn. They have the ability to offer full rides, housing and all that, and currently we do not. So sometimes kids do look to kind of make a make a jump for financial reasons. And Alabama also has their own dedicated stadium, so that's kind of a draw as well.
Speaker 5: Well. Who would have thought that, right, But just say, from from from a coaching perspective, what are the differences and similarities between the adative basketball and regular basketball.
Speaker 16: Yeah, I would say the contact would be the biggest one. We have the ability to hold people, and you can hold people in a position you can use your your wheelchair kind of like an offensive lineman would use it in football. So that would be the biggest you know spot, and as well as the spacing. You know, the game is really played in the middle of the court. You know, the corner threes are are kind of non existent. And height. You know, height is a big deal in athletics, but in our sport, I think it's even more so with with the inability to jump. If you have somebody tall, it makes it a lot easier. We kind of base our game around that being a bigger team.
Speaker 1: Okay, So so like I've always believed that games, you know, board games, any kind of games, table games have secrets to them, right, And is that one of the secrets to being a better team?
Speaker 5: Are there any other.
Speaker 14: You know?
Speaker 16: Yeah, I would say that that's something that we really like, We really work on passing high and dropping the ball in, but you have to have speed to get there and then and then you know, preaching contact that that's kind of a big one as well. What's legal, what's not legal, how to maneuver around a wheelchair, how to get somebody off balance. All of that stuff goes into getting to the spy you need to get to and once you get to that spy, you're kind of unstoppable.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it makes sense.
Speaker 1: Have you always wanted to be a coach in this capacity or what are your what are your aspirations?
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know, I kind of lucked into this. I started as a student worker with the program in two thousand and nine and I just fell in love with the game when they put me on the basketball team. So I just kind of fell in love with it. And then when the opportunity arise, I was the right guy at the right time, and you know, got very fortunate to do that. And you know, it's sports, so anybody can relate it to sport, and it's a beautiful sport and it's amazing seeing these kids grow and mentor them. So yeah, you wouldn't want anything else, to be honest.
Speaker 5: That's really that. That's awesome. That is an awesome story. And you're obviously good at what you do. Uh, you don't get there, Yeah, it's like going, So where where do you play these games.
Speaker 16: Yeah. So when we play at home, we play in the rec center right here on campus. When we go on the road, it depends, you know, who's hosting and stuff like that. And Nationals is typically hosted at one of the universities and in the big arena. So we play at the University of Illinois and the State Farm Venue. And next year we're hosting Nationals and we we are going to host it at McHale Center. So we'd love for everybody to come out and you know, support and really show it. Two songs about but for the most part, it's recreational facilities on campuses.
Speaker 5: Did you have do not want it? Would you be hosting it? Yes?
Speaker 16: Yes, So basically it's a bid system. It was our turn to to accept the bid or deny it, and we decided to move forward with it. It's the first time we're going to host it.
Speaker 1: So the last one I remember, the last on the wheelchair games that he had at the post post you A basketball games was probably Iguodala's last year two thousand and fourish, spyvish maybe fourish. Why don't they play those games anymore?
Speaker 16: You know, Well, they gave us the red Blue pregame show. So I think the whole purpose of it was to kind of showcase our program more as a whole. And I believe it ended when when coach Miller took over, and I'm not exactly sure like what happened with all of that, but you know, I do like the Red Blue Game and have kind of having our own spotlight. And then this year we got to do a couple of halftime shows, you know, and I'm assuming maybe injuries or something played a role in a you know, you don't want someone getting hurt jumping out of a chair or you know, breaking a finger or something.
Speaker 1: So, oh, I see the other team, the other team. Okay, yeah, yeah, that makes sense. Yeah, okay, I can't remember. So, so you said you have a lot of guys coming back. Oh oh, no, I remember something. So over the summer we talked to Jay and I talked to some people, some women of the women's team. I guess they're as a coach, women's two players who were in the Olympics. So they're going to the Olympics, right for the women's team. Did you have any of that type of talents on your team?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 16: Yeah, So you're talking about our coaches Josie and Corney. They were part of the Paralympic USA team. My team, I have a Canadian paralympian that plays Matoire. He's a two time paralympian and he is finishing up his master's degree here in marketing. And then we have Dylan Xander and Ben Thorden, both got their invites to try out for the USA national team this summer. And we have three kids on the Canadian under twenty three program that right now are in Columbia competing for a spot to go that world championship. So we just signed a kid from South Africa, so he's actually a local guy here in Arizona, but he plays for the South African U twenty three teams. So we do have a lot of people that hopefully will be in the LA twenty twenty eight Paralympics.
Speaker 5: So you're staffed. Yeah, yeah, exactly, you're bringing in all the town there you go.
Speaker 16: Yeah, you know. Actually Dylan was a walk on who's the USA and so with Brandon Louie who's part of the Canadian U twenty three, they were both walk on, So we really pride ourselves in that development. We found both of them just kind of randomly watching some juniors games and unfortunately it all worked out well.
Speaker 1: So are you talking about you signed, Sony? Do you go and recruit these kids too?
Speaker 16: Yeah, So I go on a couple of recruiting trips a year to juniors tournaments. We're leaving this Thursday to go on one actually, where there's thirty eight teams, and yeah, we just kind of scout, figure out who's good for us, figure out, you know, how we can make it worth it for them. We also host camps in the summer that kids can come see our campus and get coached by us. So that's a good recruiting tool as well. But we're big using social media and you know, also using the U of A brand. It's pretty powerful compared to some of the smaller teams. And also the weather for a wheelchair user out here at the University of Arizona is a flat campus, tons of sidewalks. It's dealt with universal designs so they could get around campus without having to worry about access. And we have the best discilly resource center in the nation four years in a row running.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that is an amazing advantage for us right there. Yeah, it makes sense, it makes total sense. Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: You can ask, so you basically want to top Oh on you work the adaptive Do you work in the in the building?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 16: So I worked at the Disability Resource Center that's where we're housed out of. We're moving over to the rec Center and becoming more of a club sport formula, but we'll still be housed in the DRC.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, So a nice past, a nice future, even a nicer future.
Speaker 5: It seems like I think it's the bright certainly bright future.
Speaker 16: And what you're doing, Yeah, we're really trying to get keep this thing rolling. You know, we want to become one of the blue bloods. We're only the sixth team ever to win it. A lot of the other programs like Illinois and Wisconsin Whitewater have you know, ten to fifteen titles, and we're really trying to break that mold, which was really big for us and I think the wheelchair basketball community also it was cool to see another team be able to accomplish that.
Speaker 5: So, what was the number of teams in the tournament?
Speaker 16: So there's eleven teams this year. Next year will be twelve because Universe in Michigan just added a program and potentially thirteen. Penn State is starting a program up as well, so it'll depend on their recruiting. But this year was eleven, and it's kind of structured, kind of like you know a conference tournament where you play three games in a row and you know it's one and nine and you don't know who you're playing next, So the preparation is ninth four. Morning of recovery is really intense because you're playing so many games. Back to that keeping the focus of the athletes as well, keeping them on their studies. So it's a big challenge to navigate that.
Speaker 5: Did you get a scare in the three games?
Speaker 16: The first two games was won by thirty apiece and then the national title game, we were up pretty comfortably, I think by fourteen, and they actually came back and took the lead in the third quarter. And yeah, I remember just looking at my assistant, one of our best players, Ben just got his third foul, and I was like, you know what, We're going to stick with him. We're winning this game. Called the time out, brought the team together and they just went on and did their thing. We ended up winning by eleven. You know, it was a great experience. About two minutes to go, we knew we won, fans were cheering. It was a really, really good feeling.
Speaker 5: So you talked about just before you go, So tell me.
Speaker 1: You talked about the maneuvering of the wheelchair, things like that stopping.
Speaker 5: So what designates a foul.
Speaker 16: Yeah, so we practice chair skills and essentially the big wheels that we have. That's equivalent to using your chest and able body basketball. So if you stop somebody with your big wheel, that's how you get a charge. But if you use your cook play which is the front of the wheelchair, that's considered a foul. If you hook somebody from behind, that's considered a foul. Kind of similar if you push somebody in the back with your elbow. And then also there is a thing called tilting where some of our guys can tilt on one wheel and hold themselves. If they can hold themselves, it's not a foul. If they fall on that person, it will be considered a foul. And then you also have the similarities. You know, if you get hit in the arm, or if you grab somebody while they're going on the layup and all that stuff. So it's just kind of how you maneuver it and knowing where to use your wheelchair and what.
Speaker 1: Point right, So I'm sure they're savvy and how to do that. I was going to say, those skills alievable. Tilting up on one wheel and holding it Holy moly.
Speaker 16: Yeah, there's there's a couple couple of people that you know can hold it up and they can take their other wheel off and spin in a circle and put the other wheel on, and you know, that's stuff that we practice, and we practice those chair skills daily because they're so important. It's equivalent to conditioning, you know, and and agility, so it's very important to have us.
Speaker 1: Well, Michael, thanks so much for congratulations. Again, you know you're knocked on the door. Nothing you go through it.
Speaker 5: And you did.
Speaker 16: Yeah, thank you guys so much for having me on. And really hope we can have your support next year.
Speaker 5: Will yeah, absolutely, yeah, yeah, of course. What was your overall record?
Speaker 16: We were twenty five and four this.
Speaker 5: Year, Okay, so it's not like you play two games.
Speaker 16: No, it was our third year of winning twenty five games in the regular season. So that's also a big accomplishment for us. And this is the winningest senior class that we've ever had. Hopefully until next year we win another twenty five and another championship and then they get that title.
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, And.
Speaker 16: Does play about thirty games a year?
Speaker 1: Does the season coincide with like the men's team and the women's team, like in October?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 16: Yeah, essentially it starts in October, really ramps up in January February. That's when you kind of get the bigger games in and then national championship is right around the March maddness time.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if I don't reach out to you, you can reach out to me and I'll have you on.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 1: We want to make sure we advertise this a lot. Okay, Yeah, thanks Michael, appreciate it.
Speaker 5: Congratulations again, guys, have a good day. Yeah, Michael from.
Speaker 1: The thank you you a wheelchair national champions Cool?
Speaker 5: Yeah, cool. Yeah. Anytime you win a national championship that means something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, okay, let's take a great care and come back on the other side. If you're an Arizona men's basketball fan, you know it's been successful for newly forty years now. Take a look back at the Loudolsen era in my new book, Lessons from Loot. It was a labor of love through the eyes of twenty five former players, coaches, and friends to give insight to the coach and the man who led them, competed against them, and inspired them. Twenty five chapters for his twenty five years as Arizona's beloved coach. Lessons from lout is an insight to how he built the program into a national powerhouse. Want one, Email me at Steve dot Rivera ninety five at gmail dot com.
Speaker 17: Hey, Wildcat Nation, Jake Fisher here, I gotta tell you about my winning team. Over at Arizona Health Insiders, I was able to get a custom private health insurance plan with no deductibles, no co pays, nationwide coverage, and I get to pick my own doctor for lesson two hundred dollars a month. If you want to avoid getting gouged on the Exchange and you want real health insurance called Arizona Health Insiders four AH three five five one four four four four AH three five five one.
Speaker 11: Four four four what's your goal a new career or career advancement? How about transferring to a four year college. PEMA Community College can help you make someday today and reach your goals affordably. On your schedule. With over one hundred programs to choose from and financial laid available, it's time to earn the degreer certificate you need to prepare for the career you want. PEMA offers free career exploration classes so you can choose the field that's right for you. Learn how at Pima dot edu. Slash someday, Hey Tuson, Steve vera heir, and I've got a tip for you.
Speaker 1: Want to be in good hands while cruising the desert or kicking back at home, then you need to call my friends at the Edmond Marcus All State Agency. These guys are the MVPs of home and auto coverage. Whether it's a fender bender or a leaky roofed, They've got you covered. Don't fumble your chance to say call them today and score big on your insurance. With the Edmund Marcus All State Agency, You're always in good hands. Visit them at twenty seven nineteen North Campbell or call them at five two zero three two three nine three three three.
Speaker 5: Where do you buy exercise equipment?
Speaker 13: Arizona Health Arizona Health Arizona Health.
Speaker 10: Of course, to feel better and look better, it makes sense to buy your fitness equipment from the people who.
Speaker 9: Know it better than anyone else.
Speaker 10: At Arizona Health, our goal is to help you choose the equipment you need to reach your goals. Your health and fitness deserve the best you deserve.
Speaker 9: Arizona Health the leading.
Speaker 5: Edge and exercise equipment.
Speaker 9: On twenty second, just west of Wilmot.
Speaker 18: Craving, Tucson's Best Burger, the Fourth Avenue Legend is back. Lindy's on Fourth is celebrating twenty years, and Lindy himself is back behind the grill. We've got new mouthwatering burgers and great daily drink specials. Don't miss our upcoming twentieth anniversary, Summer Bash and year end celebration. Come down to Lindy's on Fourth or order online at l fourth dot com. Lindy and Tucson's Best Burger are waiting.
Speaker 19: At Pyramid Federal Credit Union. We believe less is more. Let's peas need more money in your pocket. Let's hassle means more time for what matters, and less stress means more confidence in your financial future. Pyramids Lessons More Philosophy is coming to your neighborhood with a new branch opening at the two suns, spectrum pyramid federal credit union where less is more, federally insured by NCUA, an equal opportunity lender.
Speaker 2: Breaking down all the I says and ohs. This is I on the ball with Steve Rivera on Blox Sports fourteen fifty.
Speaker 1: Hey, welcome back to La Ball here on Fox Sports fourteen fifty. I'm Steve Rivera.
Speaker 5: Hi, My Quinn. Don't I need to remind you, Michael quinn A, welcome, Manic Monday Man.
Speaker 1: That's right, be quiet, Mike Monday Ray. Thanks for keeping the fort down. I needed to have said, Hey, anybody want to call? We have our time now. We got about ten twelve minutes, right, yeah, five two zero four one, six seventy four forty. What are your thoughts on the transfers or potential transfers?
Speaker 5: The portals open?
Speaker 1: Uh, Henry now in it, Stephan in it and kJ Lewis we see the last of them?
Speaker 5: Wow? I think so?
Speaker 1: Henry Henry, I don't know, Maybe he's maybe just testing. We'll see Henry. I like Henry a lot, good story. Last year Arizona sat back with him after he got that injury before the season started.
Speaker 5: You know, it's just loyalty, baby, Yeah, loyalty or not loyalty. Everyone's loyal to Benjamin. Yeah, show me the Benjamin, then show me the Benjamin's. You can't buy me.
Speaker 1: Well, here's the catch. And we heard it from from Bruce because I don't know the answer. And I asked him. He didn't know the answer. Okay, Henry, all these foreign guys, all these international guys, guess what, we don't know. They can get paid, but they're getting paid.
Speaker 5: And he didn't have fay, He didn't have an answer. Here here, what currency do you use in this? Don't you.
Speaker 4: Guess? Said?
Speaker 5: They still sell watch Gotta watch? Yeah, they still they still use dollars there trust he exchange rate is good, Yeah, exactly, but it is what it is.
Speaker 1: Come on, uh, I just you know, the names changed, the players changed, but you're still loyal to the cats.
Speaker 5: Yeah, you have no choice? Yeah? Yeah, what am I gonna do? I'm not going to root for the sun Devils?
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're they're Did you ever see did you see the Hurly story on sixty three sixty ESPN? It's very good Danny Hurley that the other the other story about him. Yeah, it was it was very good. You know winning too talented to him being kind of a jerk, and but he was kind of the best damn which there is the game.
Speaker 5: Yeah, they're the whole family is a bunch of jerks. You know, don't you know those guys? You know those guys if you're good at what you do, Yeah, well you know they can be Yeah you know, Actually I'm not a jerk. I mean when he's the best damn coach in the in the country, in the game. Yeah, best came coach in the game. But the Lakers one.
Speaker 4: Sometimes I like it.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah, there's a time and place the there's time of place and it's it's like the coach you just give if you're gonna be good, guess if you're gonna say you're good, guess what you can better be good? Yeah, you better be good. But you don't go you don't go telling an official give me the call because I'm the best coach in the case. Come on, come on, we've played you. You were an athlete. I played against these dudes. Uh.
Speaker 1: If you're gonna talk a lot of crap, I want to use a different word.
Speaker 5: You better be good. You better be good if you're gonna walk like you own the stuff. You better own the stuff. Look he is, he is a good coach. But man, but man, he's a jerk. Okay, I think probably a different jerk, different jerk. Who else who's not a drink? That's good? Oh well yeah, you know you're not gonna have that. Well you know, I think it's very good. Yeah, yeah it was John Wooden not a jerk. Well, yeah, you know who the guys? Who's the guy villan over coach, the former billing over coach? Who's Jay? Right? Yeah? Jay Wright? Not a jerk? Yeah, here we go. We gotta call hello, you're on the air and on the ball. Who's this? Yeah? This is Valent Phoenix. Oh how you doing. It's been a long time.
Speaker 6: All right, kind of upset about the transfer portal. I mean, verty disappointed a star as leave. I heard he's gonna he's gonna get well he's saying a lot of attention and he's probably going for big, big money.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, and I and I l money. Sure, he's a big man. Did you did you listen to us before with Bruce?
Speaker 6: Oh I've been I didn't didn't.
Speaker 5: I didn't catch that. So let me give you some figures.
Speaker 1: They were talking about maybe five million dollars minimum for starting five, God for starting five. So you're looking at you know, at least one each, at least one each, two, two, and then he probably went five to ten.
Speaker 5: I think it was Yeah, I said he said it was three. Then it's five, and it's probably on its way.
Speaker 4: Up to ten.
Speaker 5: I thought Creams was gonna leave. Well, no, I don't think they better hope he doesn't leave.
Speaker 1: And if you're gonna give me, if you're gonna give me a choice, I want Henry.
Speaker 6: I do too, because I don't think Creamas is that good. I think he's a stiff. I'm sorry, I'm with you.
Speaker 5: I'm with you.
Speaker 1: I'd rather have a fluid guy at seven foot who can run the court, shoot three, and is greater on the basket.
Speaker 6: You know, it's a shame because they really stuck with him, and you know, you think it just shows to show that there's just in college for sports, there's no loyalty to anyone anymore.
Speaker 5: Yeah, No, you're right, none at all.
Speaker 6: And I don't good that article good and good Man. He's the u of a guy that he to you of a so he's always going to say something nasty.
Speaker 5: Right, we'll find bad. We'll find something bad about you, ain't no matter what. Yeah, no, no, I'm him. You're spot on. You're spot on because I know good. But he's all right guy.
Speaker 1: He was in you know, he was buddies with Sean and and one of the reasons why Shan got the job. But now he's at his closest with Tommy. But you know, we're i mean us in the business for a long time. I'm sure you know that we all have our techniques to get close to coaches, to get information. And he does it with a lot of different people.
Speaker 5: He just does. I mean, he's good at that because they give him information. Oh that's what it's about. Get and look at Sean. He failed upwards.
Speaker 6: I mean he's back in tex Texas.
Speaker 5: Well, let me give you I have a Texas grad with me. You happy with that? Well, no, I'm absolutely not happy with that. As a matter of fact, I just mentioned I check every day to see hope he's fired. But the well, the question is this is is Texas a move up from Arizona?
Speaker 6: Do you think, Well, it's definitely a move up from Xavier.
Speaker 5: Is like, we'll move up, but it's but it's I don't.
Speaker 1: Think it's a move up from not not in the basketball world, not in the basketball world.
Speaker 6: Obviously no comparison, but yeah, basketball, it's kind of It's a program that's got a tremendous amount of potential because a lot of times those Texas kids, they don't like to leave Texas, and I think if he could keep them, But look at the Calvin Sampson is doing it.
Speaker 16: Houston.
Speaker 6: Houston, Texas should be what Houston is.
Speaker 5: Yes, yeah, yes, absolutely, yeah. Yeah. They've never had a luck well, they did have luck with one to coach. His name is Chris Beard. But Chris Beard is a coach man. He was going to get him there and then he read into his issues. But that was the coach if they if they would have kept him, he would have been to at least a couple of final fours because he can coach. Now they're just trying to find Christal Country is trying to find that magic and before he's done there, he's got magic everywhere else, football, women's sports, women's basketball. Yeah, now he just needs to find that fort for men's basketball.
Speaker 6: Yeah, well we'll see what sho It'll be interesting.
Speaker 5: What'd that be for you a.
Speaker 6: Fans, it would be horrible if Sean Moore goes to the final four first Texas before you veg gets back to the final four.
Speaker 5: There's a fifty to fifty proposition right now, you know. It's like, that's the thing about it. I mean, you're right. I know that. I know that there's a hell of a lot more money in Austin than there is in Tucson. Yeah. Oh, thanks for the call, Thanks for listening from the Phoenix. Appreciate everybuddy. Yeah, thank you. No, that's a good call.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, no. I I pointed out when he got the job, like who's going to go to the final four first? And when Sean was here, you know, when he was really running hard in twenty fourteen fifteen with the great teams, they were asking he was the best coach to never get to the final four. Right at that time, he's still probably that guy. So okay, here's a question for you. Do you as a player, if you're a player, do you stick with the team you think's got a chance to go to the final four? Do you take the nail money?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 1: Come on, that's a that's a that's a tough question. But that's a hypothetical that will never happen.
Speaker 5: I don't know Boswell, Boswell, he went to Wisconsin. Wisconsin be better than than Arizona.
Speaker 1: I think there's circumstances that are beyond other things. He had to run his course here. All the Vegas thing he hadn't really panned out. I think that there was some frictioning on the team with him. Uh, there's you know, there's other things. It's like, if Baba would have stayed, they would know he had to go.
Speaker 5: You wouldn't have seen creebus.
Speaker 1: I mean you would have seen Henry development and you would still wonder is he going to make those rethrows?
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 1: It's like if you leave here now, should you leave now? Or five minutes? And then what if there's a crash down there in five minutes time?
Speaker 5: Yeah? Yeah, well you're sure, okay, But I mean if you so, Henry, you sit there and you're like going, hey, if you stay, this is the team we've got and we got exit. We we think that this is gonna be a compact. You're gonna get paid.
Speaker 1: You're gonna get paid, right, maybe not as much as here, but you throw that in right, the Nationals or you know, a big run.
Speaker 5: Sure, I mean, is he gonna be picked up by duke? Is he gonna be picked up Houston? Or is he going to be picked up by right state? Yeah?
Speaker 1: No, we you know he's gonna go to a good school. The thing is will it be will it be shinier there? And we talk about that greener over that s grass is greener where you water it. The he could have I think he could have. You know, it's one of those things so say, oh, you should stay with our program. You know, if he was if he you know, if he left Houston and came to Arizona, we would be like, oh, what a great play.
Speaker 14: You know.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so it's one of those things where it's like you hate to lose a guy like that. The question is, now, okay, who's who's stepping up? Who's next? Right?
Speaker 1: No, guess what Arizona's projectice to go after a dude much better than him?
Speaker 5: Right? Who plays? Who plays is better than him?
Speaker 4: Right?
Speaker 5: I said that twice.
Speaker 1: But but now, yeah, the chess board has started. We lose the queen, we lose the bonds, and now we got to get somebody else.
Speaker 5: To feel mentioned in Awaka. I mean that guy like him a lot. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but but the thing is that you know, you read the internet crap that I that I see, and I know my colleagues writing it, colleagues writing it, and you know who to believe it, who not to believe. But there could be some more. Yeah, and maybe just testing the waters. Like you asked before. Before it was testing the waters. Now it's like I'm jumping in. Don't give me a towel because I ain't coming back right, Yeah, Yeah, I'm done. It's it's been great. We'll see you later.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Yeah. That's another thing. There's no if they come back. If they come back, do you do you treat them? Like when if you if Balla comes back to the prodigal son? Yeah, do you are you gonna you canna embrace? Bollow and you embrace these guys? Maybe bollow you will because he's a great guy. I'm a big fan of. Like the people who said this, schim Beckler, I want people who want to be with Michigan. Okay, I want people on my team that want to be with Michigan. That's the thing about it. I mean, you know when we sit there and we go, oh my god, oh my god, oh I got these guys are leaving. It's like, on see you if you don't want to be on the team, I don't want you on this. Okay, Jay has that's the lost way too. Yeah. I mean when you when you have that, it's like, well, okay, go go, good luck to you. Don't let the door hit you in. Yeah, hope it all goes well. But I know Big and my daughter threw for the Big Sky Conference and they had the portal open for track, portal over for track right before they're championship, their championship meet, and if they had a player hit the portal, their possible policy was, you cannot compete for your team. Nice. Yeah, you cannot compete for your team. In the conversation, what happens if you hit the portal? Did anybody hit the t absolutely so they didn't. They didn't participate. They didn't participated. Those portal people go, how did it go for them? I mean they're going no, no, yeah? Did they gut and they went somewhere and they went somewhere else? Yeah, I mean, you know, you sit there and you get somebody. It's like they had I think when year they had all their shot putters all the women's shot putters left, say, you know, they're all transferred out. They had nobody competing in the in the championship people who qualified. Yeah, I think that's a good if you're gonna go to be said for that.
Speaker 14: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it just highlighted. Well, the other thing it should highlight is the fact that opening the portal during the opening the portal during the season or during the bowl games is ridiculous. You got to go. Thanks, Frank's shown up. Thank you. Right, we gotta go see tomorrow.