Speaker 1: It's game Spot After Dark, episode two hundred and fifty. I'm your host, John Luke saipe He joined by a lovely crew of people. I got Curtain Divina Hello, I got Stu Kimball Hello, And I got Michael the Peace Dance for pinot him.
Speaker 2: What a do baby, it's a it's a group of people who currently work here and at one time good half and half.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, you got some you got you got some nice guests on today's episode know to fifty.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and what might be the last episode recorded on this desk.
Speaker 3: Potentially maybe to get out back and shoot it yellow style. We could go out to like deep East Bay where there's like nothing there.
Speaker 2: I'm going to take it into the back alley of this Okay, San Francisco and shoot it knife field with knife fielding terry and send an example to anyone walking by it even baton eye and you're like, no, they had applaud they wanted. Also, yes, San Francisco for gun Yeah, and even better, it's a that's what they call it, gun city. Yeah, San Francisco, guns City. The guns are going San Francisco gun City. Shoot your desks, butt them down.
Speaker 1: In our mascot shout out the Hedgehog.
Speaker 3: There we go with the because he has guns.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he got whole thing shadow because I just played so Shadow Generations and all I saw him was he was like fucking surfing on a phoenix bird takes place in San Francisco and he has gun the Shadows his whole thing is.
Speaker 1: It was never played Shadow of the Hedgehog. I remember he got like a assault rifle and like dual pistols.
Speaker 3: We're not, We're really not. I'm not denying any of this.
Speaker 2: Just you know, to everyone who's gonna go to YouTube dot com and see Kurt Indivina and Dan Riiker.
Speaker 3: Talk about So that's different. That's different.
Speaker 2: The top comments on all that video is these guys have no idea what they're talking about.
Speaker 3: You know what. I was doing my job, so I got an appointment. I showed up. I played it.
Speaker 2: I thought Megadeth was on the soundtrack for two seconds straight up, was like, wait a minute, I pause it, turned down the gameplay volume because I'm like, this is Dam of States is fucking singing and Sonic and Shadow Generations. It wasn't, but it was cool. It was pretty good thrash metal for what it's.
Speaker 3: Rocks the band called.
Speaker 2: Actually it's not Crush forty doing their best Megadeth impression, is it.
Speaker 3: Band? Yeah, they've always been the city. Yeah.
Speaker 2: If they're the ones doing the Sonic Shadow Generations sound track, which I'm assuming maybe you would somebody who knows more about Sonic than they would know a little bit more, they were doing their best Magdeth.
Speaker 3: Okay, that's what's up. They also do like funk metal, and that's what I think of that.
Speaker 2: It's like funk something like a punk punkish Yeah, like they always have that band of many layers to do. Yeah, exactly, they got something. If this is gonna be a deep cut, I don't know if anyone here is gonna know this. But the band Affectious grooves metal band from the early nineties from members of Suicidal Tendencies. The Suicidal Tendencies and some of the members of that band formed Infectious Okay, just a great band. They that's what they were like early in the funk metal scene.
Speaker 3: And that's interesting.
Speaker 4: I wonder if Thundercat was part of that band, because he was toured with suicideal Tendency.
Speaker 2: Thundercat is the basis, okay, but I think it was at the time, was the basis who's now the basis for Metallica?
Speaker 3: Oh okay, okay, okay. I think he was the basis for Infectious Crews. Oh cool.
Speaker 2: Yeah, because he started because he was started as a bassist working with Cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Sonic we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we have Metallica San Francisco based Sorry guns gun ye want to see Metallica shoot a podcast desk Yeah, from San Francisco.
Speaker 3: Called the San Francisco October twenty Yeah. Yeah, he always sounds like a slipping on a I think it's kind of like.
Speaker 2: The area, so maybe it's like an E forty Tributes. Yeah, ship because the stereotype for so long was that San Francisco was covered in poop slipping on. James Hetfield and forty together are the same person doing megadth impressions, Shadow Generation soundtrack, Give Me.
Speaker 3: Fuel, give Me Fire, give me that shot, Desire, Damn Remix times Juelry Remix. Nope, it'd be so funny. Yep.
Speaker 4: Anyways, what uh so waits? Speaking of which you were at? Why were you seeing Sonic Generations?
Speaker 3: Where are you seeing it at? Yeah? Where?
Speaker 2: Yeah, San Francisco where Shadow was like, hey, I got guns and I'm like city from what you got?
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: I was in Germany Cologne for Games Comy twenty four, my first time both Germany, yeah, and a games comic obviously, because you can't go to games Germany first.
Speaker 1: It was my first time in Germany, but not my first time. It's like no Man's land. It doesn't count as a you know what do they call those, like a city state.
Speaker 3: Or what it's its own. Yeah, it's like Vatican city. Yeah. Colne is not no no, like what the pope it lives in Cologne taped them up. Nah, Colone so is it's beautiful?
Speaker 2: Like I uh, to be completely frank, people were not like it didn't feel like people were driving me up for going to Germany. They were like, good fucking luck eating anything but meat, Good luck drinking because I can only I can't really drink beer.
Speaker 3: I have a beer right now, but I can only have one of the good luck. It smells bad, like I I games com is huge. Good luck? Can you laid to all of your appointments? A worst image could not have been painted for me. It is a complete opposite. Not only was did I have the absolute opposite, but I actually think games Come might be my favorite. Yeah, like press games conference, convention, thing I'd ever been to.
Speaker 2: I think games people just be pressed. Though as pressed I've had, I've had good experiences at all the places I've been to in terms of press or otherwise press related jazz. But from my side, I felt as though I had space, I had time to see the appointments. Every appointment I went to felt important. So in so many cases, you go to things that like play Days, Orummer Game Fast or even E three, you see an abundance of games because you have to see an abundance of games, but not always do those games. We often have to walk away and make calls whether or not this thing takes priority over this game, and et cetera, et cetera. This is the first time where every single appointment I had was like, No, this is an important game. This is this game feels like something we should be covering. This game feels like I thing big enough that we should be.
Speaker 3: Talking about in some degree, like Sonic Shadow of General. Sure, hell yeah, say what you want about it, but motherfuckers care about that ship experience.
Speaker 2: I mean, every single person who watched that preview look first five seconds, like fake fan.
Speaker 3: I never for what it's worth.
Speaker 2: I never stood in front of the camera and said I love Sonic Shadow. It was like, hey, we just saw this game butt Rock. That's a megadath. But I absolutely adored it. I had a great time. Colonnes beautiful. I took a walk every morning. Yeah, it was so gorgeous. Walkable city. I very walkable, extremely walkable. Took a walk in one direction one day on my own. I saw the erotic stores.
Speaker 3: That was great, incredible.
Speaker 2: Uh, got many simple sandwiches along the way. The European style sandwich is a cold sandwich. You know, it's just like give me that, give me that salmon on a on a sliced of bread, or give me that breeze on a pretzel wedge.
Speaker 3: Like the brie and bread that actually doesn't make you feel like you're gonna die. Exactly incredible. So I had a lovely time. Yeah, lots of games. Yeah, I love, I love, I love.
Speaker 4: Actually I wanted it. Sorry, I completely interrupted. I wanted to ask you about Shadows.
Speaker 3: Of the Damn.
Speaker 2: Shadows of the Damn, but I talked to Suda and mccamie. What was the experience like in terms of like what the game is gonna it's the game.
Speaker 3: You remember it is.
Speaker 2: But I will say, as someone who has not played it in a decade and loved it then, I had like this perceptions like, oh, it's like it's great, uh, but it's clunky, and it's like it was sure, yeah, that's the reception I have. Things are true still, however, I was incredibly surprised actually how well designed that game is and how much it throws at the player within a very condensed amount of time and introduces like mechanics that I completely forgot about.
Speaker 3: That's still that in uh I was.
Speaker 2: I spoke to Sudo about this a decade later. It's so good to play a game that's confidently a video game and its being a video game, and even for its clunkiness, doesn't feel like it's at odds with itself. It doesn't feel like you're playing against it and are it still feels like you're playing a video game. I was never like this controls bad, No, it just controls like a video game.
Speaker 3: A video game.
Speaker 2: How I remember a video game being controlled, but not in a way that I would say is like a barrier to entry for people these days.
Speaker 3: Oh okay, it ruled. It's just good to fucking have it unavailable period.
Speaker 2: That they're not doing anything really spectacular to this game other than making it available, that's it.
Speaker 1: And selling that version with a replica of Johnson.
Speaker 3: On have you seen this?
Speaker 1: Non Runs Games is selling a collector's edition that comes with a one to one replica of the gun boner.
Speaker 3: It's one of the modes. Yeah, which is the main kind of mode for it. Oh my god, so good. But that's incredible. I was also concerned because it's like, I don't know, it's a decade. Uh, Suda started as a writer.
Speaker 2: Quite I would say it's pretty I mean, even though outside of his wrestling games pretty serious, like The Silver Case is a very serious game. Flowers on the Rain is nonsensical times, but still is has good writing and it and shouts the dam.
Speaker 3: Comes out like post No More Heroes when he was like unhinged and yeah, grindhouse, juvenile, and I was so surprised, be like, yes, it is that. It's crude, it's gross.
Speaker 2: It has some low brow humor, but the character Johnson that you're carrying around the entire time is still like extremely well written. It has a lot of equips that balances it out in a way that I feel like games like Borderlands never did for me, where it just felt got it.
Speaker 1: I remember there being some really good night I remember the Uh there's like the like fairy tale stories you read halfway there. I just like the I remember the whole like end games like well getting spoilers, but like I just remember really vibing with that game.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's pretty great. I'm very excited. I played it for about a half hour up to the first boss.
Speaker 3: Uh does that interest all? Kick ass? It's still the motorcycles. Yeah, I know, it's still fucking rules. Uh.
Speaker 2: And it had all these things that felt again very video gaming, and it feels silly to say, but uh still present itself in a way of extremely confident.
Speaker 3: It's like, feels very confident that this game came out today. Say you had never played Chads the Down or did not know what chas the game it was, and I came out today and that's the first time playing it. It just knows what it is and it does it extremely well.
Speaker 2: And again I was kind of surprised at how many mechanics and things they kind of wedged in there so much so that sue to himself before I even mentioned it, was like, yeah, going back and playing this game again, I was surprised. I don't remember this game being as good as I. I was kind of kind of Sometimes sometimes I pull up an old video or article, I'm like, damn.
Speaker 3: I was Cooky like, Okay, we're gonna remaster the ship. He's like wait.
Speaker 2: So that was soon as reaction to the point where they're working on a new IP at Grasshopper Manufacturer, which there's no information. Oh, but he was saying that working on the new I P and has the Daann remaster the same time influenced.
Speaker 3: His ability to look at his new game and actually, yah, that's really cool. That's pretty sweet. That's great. Yes, that's that's cool here because like oh shouts of damn, like, oh, that's funny that that game is being remastered. Yeah, that's what I was saying, and it's like, oh, well, maybe that is like a a good thing. He's been wanting to do it for for years. That's surprising to me. But A has had has had the choke hold. Of course, of course, I guess they.
Speaker 2: According to him, he went to e A like seven some years ago wanting to get it on PC. Wanted to get it into H on modern platforms, and they said yes, as long as it's on E A or it's an E or wish was nah. So like they had the opportunity for him, but they still was like no, no, no, no, that just only means it's going to be in your very small not going to do the job that we wanted to do get more players.
Speaker 3: So came back to them a year two years ago and they went fucking like, we don't do Origin anymore. So it is it gone or they just it's I think that she's gone the Origin, yeah, or is it still around?
Speaker 2: I think it's technically I think they changed it to just like access, like this is just a place where you yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and there's stuff all back on Steam now and they kind of yeah, but for a while it wasn't.
Speaker 4: But yeah, like I just downloaded the Saboteur, like great, great game, but it's through I like downloaded on game Pass. But it made me Origin on my.
Speaker 3: I can't remember it was it was is no Phoenix Rising, that's soft game. I couldn't.
Speaker 2: I couldn't say my game because I couldn't remember if I locking and I just was like, I'm already not enjoying this.
Speaker 3: I'm fucking over. I don't get a fuck and I never never so funny.
Speaker 1: I got a code for Outlaws today and I was like, oh, cool, I'll check that out. And then like Jake was like, oh, I just uh, you probably already know this, but have to open up your youth you play instead of Steam.
Speaker 3: I was like, fuck, same to I have. I'm having the same trouble with a Microsoft Store at this current moment for something that is I'm trying to play and like, remember your Microsoft Store password? Cool? I remember that here? Okay, what's your PIN number? Like it's certainly this and it's like, no, that's not your number. You've been locked out of your account, your email. I go to emails like okay, do this this and that, like, well, the options to change my pen is not there. Like it, We'll talk to an administrator. Yeah, I'm like, what the fuck? Microsoft?
Speaker 1: I've had some of the worst time trying to like get in and change account information. They are awful about it.
Speaker 2: Remember when I remember when I bought Windows, bought Windows Windows when you were building and uh, first they sent me a disc I was like, I don't have a disk drive and do this, and then we bought it online and then never sent a code.
Speaker 3: Coaches disappeared.
Speaker 2: I bought a copy of Windows and I sent it to the old office and then it's so funny.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they're really good at that. Yeah, they're very good at scamming you. Yeah. But it was very I mean, you know, making.
Speaker 2: It's great when companies make it very annoying and difficult to play games to the point where it's like I have a game I was interested in playing or curious and it was not enough.
Speaker 3: I was not curious enough. Yeah, I mean totally absolutely put games on everything, like Shadows of the Damn exactly PC in October. I think it's nice. It's kind of weird.
Speaker 1: I don't know if this is just because it's coming out before, but they're also doing a remastered Lollipop Chainsaw. It's also a Grasshopper game came out around the same era. Didn't know they're doing remaster that they announced a really long time. I'm not a fan of that game either, but I find it interesting that, like I feel like they're not a renaissance of they're not giving it the same level of like, oh we got Suda and like we're gonna talk like it's just kind of like, you know, maybe like they can't bring out Jane gun.
Speaker 3: I do think I could be totally wrong.
Speaker 2: I do think Shadows that Damn did not have as much of a spotlight as originally.
Speaker 3: Yes, originally.
Speaker 2: Was always like one of those notorious games that like reviewed really well, was like surprisingly.
Speaker 3: Like people giving more attention remastered because of that, that makes sense, And you.
Speaker 2: Know, I were my criticisms of looking back on Shadows the Damn was. I was concerned. I was like, is this going to be like really dumb humor? Is that's going to like land the way it would have occur? Because I remember when I played it ten years ago, Kurt was like some jokes were like Jesus, we get it, Penis, but with lollipop chainsaw there was no balance. I remember it also was not a James Gunn fan at the time of his of that era, which that one.
Speaker 1: I'm curious to go back and just because I have the the exact same reaction, like I'm curious if I'd feel any differently, are if.
Speaker 3: I feel I did not give that time a day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I remember playing it at like a packs and actually like digging that chunk I played and being really excited about it, and then I got it and I played it for like an hour or two, and it's like, actually, this is bad.
Speaker 3: It seems like I would just play Dead Rising remaster as you know, if I want like a zombie annihilation game, even more fucked up looking protagonists.
Speaker 2: That's my biggest that's my biggest puss for Dead Rising is I Frank West is such a busted ass looking man.
Speaker 3: I love him.
Speaker 2: And an era where every single game character has to be fuckable, no matter what shape sized thing you are, even if you're like even if you're like the uh not the archetypical attractive body, they still have this fuck ability to them. And I'm sick of that. I want somebody who's a little busted. I want somebody who's like a little honest in the face. And Mark West with his fucked up widow's peak and his jankys. Frank Frank West, say, Mark West, that's the remaster version is Mark West.
Speaker 3: Wherever Mark West is, uh, Marcus the attractive brother. I want nothing to do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Frank, Whenever I see Frank, I'm like, man, you're busted.
Speaker 3: And I wish we had.
Speaker 2: Surely I wish we had more, you know, earnestly, honestly looking human beings as a protagonists. Speaking of, I also played Sniper Elite Resistance at games Calm, and the main character that game has the face and head of a fucking potato.
Speaker 3: He is such a strange looking man, and at first.
Speaker 2: I was like playing the game, I was like, is it what not the same protagonists from all the others Sniper League games.
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know, Okay, is it I don't know. Is there a deep story to those games? I thought it was just like, dude, yeah, a shaved head though. No, No, like the the Cniper Leade protagonist always like the prototypical, like male white American man from the nineteen forties who has a family and it's the right thing. Line up with every other like call duty character and you'd be like, they all look to.
Speaker 2: Say, it's like, I don't know, Mike Maharty, but with a few sliders rearranged a little bit, I mean honestly, yeah, but no, this guy did not look like Mike Marty. This dude, this dude had the head face shape of a potato that had just been dug up from.
Speaker 3: The ground, and at first I was playing the game was like Jesus Christ, like who is this guy? But then with time I was like Jesus Christ, Oh yeah, fucked up. So I support it. We need more little freakos, yeah, just I mean just normal looking people. Okay, sure, yeah, because we're all little freakos in.
Speaker 2: Normal looking temple. I don't want you know, every game is out there too. I've had this ran on the podcast games you know, just like.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but can you do them?
Speaker 2: Like well, speaking of games that let you do them, you can't. Man, that was gonna be my segue. That's that's that's like one of the main things about it about this game.
Speaker 3: Fields of Minestrone. No, not Fields of MINESTRONI can you fucking fields a MINESTRONI I thought that was the whole Yeah, I think it's I think I want to go see metaphor refounds. Ah. Is it Italian in any way? No, it's like British squ Kingdom with anime boy who is like, what the fuck am I doing here? I think it's a k I might find out, but I don't know.
Speaker 4: It isn't that literally his their name is like the wanderer or something like you're.
Speaker 2: Well before you name them, they're called traveling boys, traveling boy, traveling boy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, it's like, what is your name.
Speaker 2: Traveling boy, traveling fifty five year old, traveling boy. He looks like the protagonist from Persona three.
Speaker 3: Well, they're really just reusing. Well, let me tell you about metaphor. So I went to the New York A previewed Metaphor in a church or in a former church. Oh shit, And it's like pretty fucking sick, because yeah, it's all about like these monsters and like Renaissance medieval esque fantasy setting. But Metaphor also has like the steampunk vibe to it that there has like some high tech tune. So it has like this so that the teams behind it, Studio zero, are all the former Persona three, four and five developers, And this is basically, Hey, what if we did Persona in a medieval fantasy setting? And to me on paper, fuck, yeah, let's fucking go. And I've what I one of the first things I say about in my previews, like, it's about fucking time we got a Persona style game outside of high school. Yes, and so because like yes, because of like regardless of how you feel about like the because like a lot of Japanese media pop culture like takes place like oh like coming of age stories. Yeah, whether it's anime or like video games or movies and TV shows from out of Japan, a lot of it is like this coming of age tale when you're in like you're seventeen, gonna be eighteen or whatever. So for this to see that the skeleton of Persona applied elsewhere is just like, let's fucking go. Because I like the the like having that balance of where I have relationships to manage. There's a social sim element to this that also feeds into the fact that I am also dungeon crawling and fighting monsters or trying to like do this grand I have like this big quest to change the world or whatever. So the way they fuse your relationships that you build and then contextualize that with what you're actually doing in the game is one of my favorite things about Persona. But at the same time, like I played Persona three reload earlier earlier this year, and I was kind of like, Okay, I think I've reached my limit in terms of like living this high school life because P three to me P. Three was like peak that, and I was like, I don't think I have the capacity to do that anymore because I've experienced my favorite version of that. So to play Metaphor Refontasia, I'm like, all the mechanics are so familiar. It's almost one to one how they have reapplied everything from those games to this setting. And I'm fucking here for it because like, hey, do that again, but give me something that is completely different. Yeah, like their fantasy it's a completely unique fantasy world, their own like fucking kingdom, societies, races, political dynamics and shit. So okay, you're there. There's a level of unfamiliarity when you go into that world because like when you play a persona, it's like, Okay, we're in Tokyo, or we're in a rural town, or we're like in this other place in Japan. We don't need to explain what this is like, it's a real it takes place in the real world, whereas Metaphor you go in it's like, yo, let's do a fucking lord drop. It almost reminds me of how stepping into Final Fantasy sixteen, where they have to like explain, oh, all the dynamics between all the different nations and shit. They do that also for metaphor, and when they once you start to like play with metaphor and you see like you kind of go through the same motions as you do in and opening in Another Persona where it's like, Okay, the character is gonna go through this dungeon with these new characters whatever, and they're gonna learn, they're gonna tatorialize you. Then they can have their awakening scene where they open up to their superpowers because of a traumatic event. Like all of that is still there, and it's so fucking funny to where of like I know you motherfuck is so well, I know what you're doing, see what you're doing, but let's fucking go. So just just the setting change and the new context for we're dealing with like political dynamics and kingdoms and ship and like with like coming of age.
Speaker 2: That's what I was gonna ask your world, don't Yeah, it's very I mean the protagonisty play looks like you could have been like a persona protagonist, but they're like, oh, you're eighteen, you can conscript into the army, like go off and fight this war for us. You stupid boy, what travel travel to the wrong spot boy? But like all the characters you meet, Okay, so it's like foul fascy eight. Uh well that's what I was thinking, Not so much. I don't play some fucking some asshole name Squal. It was like emotionally unavailable guns howard ass Yeah, but but I mean it is similar in the fact that you are dealing with things that are outside of high school got But after I played it, I was like, no, this is this is there's a yeah, like I knew what I was doing, Like, Okay, I know, I know how the spells work, that they they've reworked the RPG elements, but I'm.
Speaker 3: Like, y'all still doing the thing that you've always done.
Speaker 1: Because I played it at a summer game festus, It's like, all right, it's not called Augie anymore, but I.
Speaker 2: Know if I don't know what fire does and this and that, Yeah, it's it's so familiar. Like so does that mean you still have the personal like yes, there are your Pokemon. Oh well no, no, no, okay, so if that's what you're talking about, they're called archetypes. Archetypes, so it works more like a job system than it does like a Pokemon system. So yes, like every character in your party can spec into any of the archetypes and they're just jobs. So you get access to different spells, you get your stats change, your melee attack changes, like your role in the party changes. So it's not like I'm trying to like build like the most strongest persona or demon or Pokemon.
Speaker 3: Right, summoning infusing it, but visually un battle, it's like you summon your archetype, it doesn't attack. Yeah, that looks exactly like like I don't want to say it's a reskin because that has like a negative connotation. Sure, but to me that has a positive connotation because I'm like, yes, well just do that.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 1: To me, it's it's funny because this isn't a quote, shouldn't beg me tense game. But it does remind me of how like older should Maggommy Tensa games back when like at least used to make like a new Shomog Tensi game, like you know, different branch every five months, right, Yeah, like it would they those games would all have similar like foundations, but then they would each game would twist it in its own way.
Speaker 3: So this is what you know.
Speaker 1: It's like it kind of feels like it's continuing on that legacy even if it's not.
Speaker 3: Shouldn't go if you have the music, Oh, the music is, the music is. It's wild because Shoji Megro is composing this, it is okay, and I'm sorry. He's the he's the composed like the persona guy and it doesn't work at Atlas anymore. He's like a it's like a collapse being on metaphor. That'll be sick of though. So Shoji Megro has like really created like this legacy of fusing like jpop, j rock with like and also jazz. When P five came around, Oh my god, acid jazz with Japanese pop music was that that was like part of Persona five's identity. It will always be. So Metaphor is classical orchestras and Latin choirs, and it's like this, I've never heard this from him before. He did Catherine though, And Catherine, well okay, yeah, yeah, when you were when you were like doing the puzzle, shit was intensive rexes of like classical Beethoven and stuff. Yeah yeah, yeah, sure, okay, Well I also remember, like I remember I think of Catherine as like the bridge between Persona four soundtrack and P five soundtrack, where it's like some elements of it. Yeah, like I could tell he was dabbling in a little jazziness and then like definitely was and then like applied it fully in P five and then he also, yeah, he sprinkled some of that to me. He's like, oh, I got to go back to that that class, so revisit that. But it's it's like intense orchestra. It's like the like the vocal court, like the choirs are very like powerful intres and it's like, oh shit, goddamn, I'm just doing a normal battle. But yeah, metaphor looks fucking sick because I like it's still doing the like the P five stylings, but it has like this like this very grotesque edge to it that fits the medieval fantasy vibe. So you still have the ui still like all over the place. You still have all these cinematic cuts, yeah, like and with that anime tinge to it. But it's also like very like it's just gross in a way that in like sharp and medieval Renaissance type shit, so it fits the setting. Like, so it still has like the same techniques but it just looks fitting for that setting, and it's like, so that's such a good fusion of all the things that Atlas has done that point, that's what I wanted to ask, is like what makes it different? Is it really just the setting?
Speaker 2: And like the setting mostly that's it, okay, because like if you're not, like i's good. To Michael's point, like as Someny, who's played a handful of personas, I haven't finished.
Speaker 3: I've got very close to finishing one of them. I was like yeah, and I was like, I'm done.
Speaker 2: But like the biggest hurdle is always I love the setting. But I've always struggled with coming of age stories. I always struggle with like young people coming into form. It's always been a hurdle for me. It's just now my thing. So but there's so many elements and styles and personality traits of those games that I fucking adore and like, uh, if I know you say it's the negive connotation, but if it is a reskin and it does apply these exact things that they've done extremely well for a series and a setting that I can get down with in a storyline that has not built on people.
Speaker 3: Being like I'm your person. Yes, I think then I that to me is like I will try that game to do that. So I'm pumped.
Speaker 2: But I also feel like they've been showing this game a fun they listen. I feel like it's like every single event I go to, there's a demo to play, Like every single they.
Speaker 3: Have a new trailer every week. Yeah. Yeah, Yeah, they've been going real hard, and I'm like, hell is that's an It was like, yeah, well, once they started get the Ball wrong, it's like, hey, we're gonna have like weekly videos putting out explain this new thing of Sure, on some level they're trying to be like, hey, it's like persona like you you like this one too, like because I feel like I swear I swear someone who's never heard of it just sees it and it's like a medieval animated school, you know, the coolest. Did you?
Speaker 1: I'm curious how you felt about the U. I I like the UI, but I did find the menus like a little visually overwhelming at times when I played.
Speaker 2: It, I was like, this is kind of a lot like it's I think there's a level of readability that it does not happen like it's it looks sick, but it's hard to part.
Speaker 3: It looks really sick, but after a while you're just like, well, that's always It was so.
Speaker 2: Cool about Persona five because when I first played it, it's so abrasive the UI, So it's part in your face, it's a part of the personality of the game. But I never but it was always done in a way that like I don understand, it's still readable. Yeah, I feel like this may be like mosses that line a little bit, and I think like the UI elements, like just like the way it's the art work just kind of like blends with a lot of.
Speaker 3: People be like, I love how fucking insane the UI is, like, oh okay.
Speaker 1: It's like a very colorful, like paintery kind of thing, where yeah, that's more like colors.
Speaker 3: Uh yeah, I'm I was. I was like, I was always gonna play metaphor like fucking Atlas team. It's the Persona team from of course, couldn't be me. You remember another tattoo on your Yeah, well the boy. The thing I'm most concerned about is because like this is a very like politically charged game, and it was really funny that we had a roundtable interview where like Jess and I actually we both asked like similar questions, were like, hey, this game opens up by saying like, hey, you're in a fucked up world where there's discrimination, inequality, poverty, like racism, sick that right, And then so so you play this demo where it's very very like explicit and like these are important to the world, and you are also being discriminated against because you are like a tribe that people don't see very often, and like that makes it like the opening hours like what are you doing around here? We've never seen your kind around here? And then they show like poor cat boys being kicked to the curb and begging for money, and the other cowboys are actually literal catboys. Yeah, yeah, yes, the cowboys are. I'm gonna beat the mutherfuck's ask this game. But that has like the racial dynam has like racism is like a big part of like this world, and it's like a fantasy world that's trying to like it's it's about how you connect with people who you don't know. Because so the setup is like you are going to be you are a candidate in an election to be the next king, and you're the whole thing is like you need to like win the hearts and minds of everyone across the kingdom to be elected. Whoa. Of course there's like so much more around that, but that is like the core prem I actually did not expect that game President. Yeah, traveling boy, it becomes president. And that's why you're like traveling across the kingdom meeting people. That's how you That's how interesting The social link system now it's called bonds. It's like, oh, I'm connecting with someone I don't know from a different part of the world. Can I get your support from election time? That's how it's been five dollars they need to give. Uh, that's really they use the same mechanics, but it's recontextualized and really I am a I am a person running to win an election. And it's kind of like in persona it's like I just I want friends, the power friendship type ship. Now it's kind of like that same thing applies in this context. Yeah, I'm all about that, because in PERSONA, I never want to be friends with anyone. It was the same.
Speaker 2: It's the same problem had playing a game like boller Gate three, Right, I don't want to hang out with any Yeah, but you're like, but I do want you to elect you. But if I'm going to start, that's so much more interesting because already the the the incentive, the like.
Speaker 3: Exactly you know, like yeah, you being like I need your support.
Speaker 1: There's like a need if you don't like that person exactly, like interesting dynamics like actually exactly, and in personally you would just be like I'll just stop doing your social likes.
Speaker 3: You're like need you need your support and some real good ship. Yeah, there's like I think in the demo there's like you talk to someone who's like part of a religious cult or like religious dreamism, and it's like I didn't get to explore too much of it though, but like that's the going back to what I was saying, Like metaphor is going in like a very bold direction. Yeah, but they also like open themselves up to like not doing it right. So what I'm it's like, oh, this is very promising. Their heart's in the right place. It seems they're saying all the right things. They they set up this world in a way that like, oh this works and I want to see of course I played five hours. This is gonna be like an eighty hour game now of course, so in that time they have a lot of room to fuck it up.
Speaker 2: Sure, But I was gonna ask did they respond in a way, because like, there's always it's always I always appreciate when artists or creatives or storytellers are simply when they use something like that, whether it's politics or race or something of that nature, or even like mental health like double find did this with psychondodts too, where it's like they their whole intent was like they never said they were trying to say anything. They were just simply trying to tell a story. And I think that's where people tend to put themselves in a corner where they start to be like they feel the need to be like, well, if we're going to talk about if we're gonna use racism as a as a as a vest soul in our story, then we need to make sure we see some about racism. But if a developers also like, no, we're not really trying to say anything, We're just trying to pay in a picture for you, how do they respond?
Speaker 3: That's how they responded, So like yeah, they're like, which is the safest and most you know? Of course, it's like a response, right, and for them, there's like the point of a pr like a press run, like a preview run, is like to appeal to as many people as possible, but it is.
Speaker 2: A fine line right when they're actually when they like if they're if you're going to introduce these things, there are two ways in which you can approach it, and like we're doing we're telling a story and you're playing a video game. But if you go too far into one direction of actually trying to say something and you don't say it, well that's what it's like. So Jess and I asked similar questions.
Speaker 3: My question was like more of a follow up to hers because I didn't I didn't think anyone really got anything out of it. So I was I basically say, hey, y'all introduce like discrimination, poverty, like all these things in an elect Like the whole story is like I'm trying to win an election. I'm trying to connect with people to get elected, that's the whole thing. And through that I need to understand, Like this story is like setting you up to try and understand poverty, to discriminate all all those things, religious extremism, all that. And I'm like and I asked them, what can you tell me about like what has influenced you to like tell the story something. Yeah, yeah, yeah, you don't know, it doesn't exist in a vacuum, right, So I was hoping that I'll say this off air. Actually I texted my homies who was there. I said some was shit to them, but like, but basically I was just trying to get an idea of like where is this coming from? And there's like, oh, you know, we're not really like we're not trying to pull from the real world, you know what I'm saying. We're just we're just here to tell the story. We're not trying to say anything.
Speaker 2: The thing is Persona attempts to do those yes too, absolutely, And there's definitely times in the personal games I played where it's like you've like only scratched the surface. You did scratch deep enough, right, yeah. And that's where I was like, you said, you're like through the ball in the air, and.
Speaker 3: You're just like, come on, here's here's the other layers though, like they were all everyone we were in the roundtable interview with were the producers of the game. The producers are not the writers, even like the story the door yeah, Yeah, the narrative producer isn't the one writing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you want to talk to the writer and be like, oh, I was pulling influences from my experience with this.
Speaker 2: Yeah I ran for president, but yeah, it's it's like and I think Ken Shepherd over at Kataku said it best with his with his preview was like like at list producers need to let metaphors speak for itself.
Speaker 3: Sure, and I think that that ultimately, like I don't really account for what the producers have said about the questions that we asked. I think it's irrelevant. I think what matters most is like when I play metaphor, what does it ultimately say? What is my interpretation? What are our interpretations of metaphor story? Because that is that's what the writer it's there's a writer, there's a whole branch of writers who had made this story. That's their story to tell. Of course people supervise over that, but like the dialogue like that. There's so many like things in Final Fantasy games, like one liners that just like that's powerful, that says so much about what this game is about, right, same thing with like Final Fantasy fourteen. Anytime an expansion comes out I don't ask Yoship like, oh, what was the intent behind this story? Through it? No, I asked not to go Ishikawa who is the writer of that, And then she will be like, well, I feel this sort of way about something that happened in my life and I put that into this character, and it's like trying to represent that. Yoship's not gonna say that because he's the producer of the ship. Like he's like, well, I didn't write that line, but I know what's happening in the story. But if you want that answer, you talk to Eachikawa, the writer. So I think it's the same thing with metaphor. Was like I could ask the producer like, oh, what are the like, what's your intent behind saying this, this and that about the game? By the game? Yeah, exactly right, So which is fine, that's what they're meant to do. Yeah, Like people have different roles in the game, So I'm not like putting too much stock in what a producer says. What the politics are of metaphor.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's just like you know, at the end of the day, at least for me, I I definitely put more stock into like when I play a game and what I feel like it's trying to say, you know, it's the isn't that the whole philosophy behind like Death of the Author is like it's it's about like what I take away from it and like what I feel like it's trying to say what it does want but it doesn't do well. I don't really care as much about what a person did unless they were like explicitly like this was bad shit, like you know, problematic h and you like this was about NA he's being cool and you're like, whoa.
Speaker 3: Show now? But overall, like last thing I'll say is that I think this is one of the most interesting games Atlases put out. They are legitimately going into new territory. They're using a framework that we all like I know, in love. But the things that are new about this game are like, oh, this is where you can actually like grow, do something. Don't change the gameplay as much like they've and they have, They've they've tweaked it. Of course, they've upgraded and changed a few things which I think are really smart, which I played five hours. I'm like, okay, cool, Like I fuck with this, but I understand this is all familiar. I understand how you change is the most interesting part is like what kind of story are you trying to tell me? Yeah, And right now I'm like sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for this game. I'm like, what is it coming out? Yeah?
Speaker 2: October? Oh sooner than I thought. Yeah, yeah, so all those Yeah, Like I was like, concept, I just assume you only can play the game in preview offense.
Speaker 3: Is it never going to come out BW cycle will just be one big preview event.
Speaker 2: It won't be sold. So I'm more excited for now now that I know what it's about to play the entire game. Like, I'm never gonna like watch another trailer of this, Like I've seen enough. Yeah, I'm gonna play this. You don't need to convince me anything of anything else. So I'm really really looking forward to this. So like P three reloads, Like I know what P three is, sure five Royal, Like.
Speaker 3: I knew what that was three reload.
Speaker 2: But the dude, this is the rapper guy's voice loaded juice. It's just this monotone sort of slur of words.
Speaker 3: Exactly, Like it's just it sounds like someone who's like putting on a voice to be a rapper. Oh my God, his voice, he's iconic, your previo.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I think I just had to hear that music and parts of it. It's just you know, his monotone fumble of words and verses. Oh you actually like read the lyrics of a of a song loadusch rap. So it is it's not even like, oh I fed this through Ai and it's it's more like, this is an approximation of what people think rap should be about. God.
Speaker 3: This is a real human, right.
Speaker 2: He's a Japanese person writing songs in English, so of course, like there's gonna be a disconnect there, but it's still kind of like, oh, like that makes a lot more sense to me because I did not know he was Japanese.
Speaker 3: Japanese.
Speaker 2: He's a Japanese rapper who's writing it English. I don't know, Yes, a lot more like this is what a rapper should sound like. All okay, all right.
Speaker 3: He's a cool ass dude though, like he's he's he's chill, he's worked, he's written songs for the Persona series like outside of him being a rapper on the soundtrack, but when he is, and I'm like, that's my guy, what you're what you're saying makes no sense. But yeah, yeah, there's songs.
Speaker 2: And the day premission soundtrack that's fake English. Maladies are just fake English. They just sound like American words.
Speaker 3: And I love it. That's what's up. I just don't ever try to sing to it. True, that's hilarious. Yeah, fake jazz. I mean, we'll not fake jazz vocalist. I was playing some real jazz there. Yeah, they hit a note or two off key Twitter odd time signature. Just I was thinking about games. One more game? Did you play Indiana Jones?
Speaker 4: Are you allowed to talk about it?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: You only we only saw it? Oh, okay, those hands off? It was it was hands off. But I actually I'm glad you brought that up because there's many of you know, I'm a grumpy, cynical buckerou machine machine games doing that instead of.
Speaker 3: Now that I've played both, I can uh yeah, yeah, so you finish them.
Speaker 2: Finish we have to, we have to have Jake back to talk about new order and new classes, like finish them within like a week of each other.
Speaker 3: Because I like Michael and I are on the young blood train. I actually like, I like you do you think I should?
Speaker 2: I mean, I think it's more gameplay focused of course, Yeah, I think it has some really I think it has some really great character moments.
Speaker 3: Okay, character are really good. Yeah we're We're the Wolfing Sun.
Speaker 2: Games have an equal amount of like really good storytelling, really good character moments. I would say Young Blood is purely and solely character moments. But those character moments are great.
Speaker 3: I was gonna say New Colosses Man, the character moments in that some of the video games, Yeah, they're so good. I look back on like, I don't think I was prepared for what this game was because I was playing a pre release like everyone else, and I was like, oh, yeah, I love New Order, but New Classes like, oh what you like so much more pulpy in like the best ways. But even then it's like it's the balance.
Speaker 2: I feel like I've spent hours on the podcast, but I always like when I think about the New Classes, I think of those pulpy moments, but I think of these other moments that like, yeah, these deeper, more emotional moments where it's like you just don't fucking get a character like BJ blasts ever, like of like this fucking dad, Mama's boy, fucking the relationships when he was a kid to adulthood. And then there's that birthday scene, which so good, like it's just such a scene that did not need to exist, and it did anyway. So with all that in mind, sorry, yes, because that's the that's the main like as not as a whatever, as a as a person who's Indiana Jones exists in my life, but I would never call myself an Indiana Jones never.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: Those are the moments that I think about wolf and Side was like, well, if I'm not gonna get a new wolf and Stein, I know that if this is the team that did it did Wolfenstein, they can deliver moments and character moments and story beats that I know will feel good. I can only assume with Indiana Jones and seeing the hands off stuff, I walked away and I also got to.
Speaker 3: Talk to the devs.
Speaker 2: I got to talk to the crative designer and the design director or I'm sorry, the crib director and the design director. And it was in this moment and I asked him a lot about Wolfenstein because it was always like, how do you go from the game where you're walking down a corridor with automatic shotguns painting the walls right with Nazi blood to to you encouraged to not use guns at all. The main thing I got from them was Machine Games.
Speaker 3: Their whole thing was.
Speaker 2: This is their first time not making Wolfenstein game. So of course, like machine Games has existed as like Starbree's and they've done other things, like they work in the Darkness and they worked on even the Riddick game, so they have like they have a lineage, but this is the first time as this as a Machine Games entity making something not Wolfenstein. And the excitement that I got from it was they have They've developed the philosophy in which how they approach games in Wolfenstein, and they are very story driven first and everything has to support whatever the vision of the story is. So for them, this is they had to like tell the team early on, it's like, this is not a Machine Games first person shooter. This is a Machine Games adventure game. So what is the version of a Machine games adventure game? So if you think of the idea of what Machine Games did with the first person shooter genre, and like there is a specific fingerprint on what they did with that that I don't think it's been really done with the first So now we get to imagine what is that fingerprint on the adventure genre, and that got me really stoked. It's a very simple thing, but it's like a very yeah, it makes sense because it's not like they they hang their hat on just being like, oh, we make good shooters. It's like, right, No, the reason why Wolfenstein fucking rules is because all the context around it being a shooter. So if you can just like apply that same ethos to an adventure first person dventure game, I think they're still on the same on the right track to make a good game, and I think.
Speaker 3: They have absolutely in the past like set themselves up for that too.
Speaker 1: Like if you've played Ridick and like The Darkness, Like I mean like Riddick, Like the first chunk of that game is like you're just walking around a prison and like bargaining with people and being like, hey, I'll go beat up this dude and I'll get a shive, and then like escape from Butcher Base fucking so good. That's awesome. And then like the Darkness, it's like you have you know, combat and shooting in darkness powers, but then it's blended in with like you're walking through a neighborhood or you're going through like the subway system, you're talking to people, You're like doing this, like like they already like kind of know how to do those like non non common on combat sequences where you're just walking around and like experiencing a thing and having a vibe. I trust that they would know how to do that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So I stopped looking at it as like an Indiana Jones game and just really started absorbing as like a Machine Games adventure game. And that's when I started getting super excited. That's what like, for the longest time, I was like, I don't care. I just it's just it's just I have to accept that, just like it's just not my thing. I just I just I don't know.
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 2: And I also get very grumpy at the idea of seeing these studios that I love, and like, of course Machine Games is working with an existing ip like with like Wolfenstein. But like, of course I get a little grumpy being be like, fuck man, all these studios I love are just being handed Disney licensing property all these properties because a video game like like it within the area. So of course I was just a little cedical. It's my feeling about Arcane with Blade, we're just like.
Speaker 3: All right, money, Yeah, you go, do you?
Speaker 2: But this was like talking to them more so than seeing the gameplay was when I was like, okay, I'm I'm getting it, Like it's I'm vibing with it. So the fact that they're like, no, we want you a gun is an absolute last resort use. Absolutely, it's it's not going to benefit you. Like you you have your six shots, but have fun reloading it. And you know, yes you can grab a gun off of a soldier. But once that clip has gone, what are you going to do? And there was one specific part in the gameplay clip where Indy where the player uses a whip on a dude and like pulls them forward and the soldier falls into a canister and gets knocked out by it. The very small thing, but it like stuck out to me and I asked him. I was like, was like, did that actually happen one because it wasn't confirmed if like the dude got knocked out from hitting it.
Speaker 3: But if that's the case, like there's like a slapstick nature that's inherent now to combat. That got me super excited.
Speaker 2: I guess like the biggest nightmare of development was that they went in on being like we're gonna make exactly what you saw a part of every combat scenario where it's like it's.
Speaker 3: That's an extremely hearts program.
Speaker 2: So they were like, yes, that is a thing, and like, of course there's like tried and true combat scenarios where you pick up an item around you and hit a dude with it, right, but now there's like levity that naturally happens within it that you create, like if you pick a banjo, it hit a dude over that with it. That's that's how they're marrying it so well with Indiana Jones because the most one of the most famous scenes from that first move from Raiders is is the is the fisticuffs with the guy with the plane and he gets uh they're fighting around and having to dodge the blades, and then he eventually gets hit by the blades.
Speaker 3: And I'm like, if they can recreate some of.
Speaker 1: That, yeah, seems like the gun, the gun and shoes, but it's all dynamic and simulated.
Speaker 3: It is supposed to like a scripted sequence exactly. Yeah, but that level of like slapsticks is.
Speaker 2: That we're excited, and then also I just really appreciate their emphasis and be like, no, this is a slow paced game, but are it's our job as machine games like that. Slow doesn't mean slow, doesn't mean bad. It's like, how like we are very focused on the moment to moment. I think Wolfenstein Classus New Classes is like a very good moment to moment games out like action scenes and exploration and action.
Speaker 3: It's kind of slow too sometimes.
Speaker 2: I think that's a pretty much part of their their nature. Like yeah, those fucking scenes hit, yeah they do. Yeah, that court scene, baby.
Speaker 3: Around the court scene. I just love how court scene is. I love.
Speaker 2: However, I bringing up everyone's like that is one of the hardest fucking things I've ever done.
Speaker 3: But I was like, but it's so necessary, so important thing. You should not get that.
Speaker 2: On your first try for a reason, Like, oh my god, it's so good, but so thinking about that in that context, knowing machine games intent behind how they just because otherwise I just I'd never really been able.
Speaker 3: To talk to them before.
Speaker 2: So I walked away actually weirdly, not weirdly, but like for me, Kurt from being like I want to be covered in Nazi blood, fucking Deanna Jones. Fuck does Harrison Ford's slarring ass on the bitch, But Baker now, but he's he's good at that. I will say, I'll defend him on.
Speaker 3: That pretty dot it.
Speaker 2: But I feel after hearing it for like an entire preview, it does feel like you picked up on one.
Speaker 3: Ship and it's like, here's the more.
Speaker 2: Always sounded like he had something in his back pocket, but now he's just at.
Speaker 3: All times slurred. Yes, whip you off. That's just my Troy Baker impression.
Speaker 2: So no, but I mean so yeah, no, that was a thing. Don't get the play, got to see it, got the chat with him, and that was cool. Cool, But I am going to be I'm working on a feature, a ran feature right now about about the idea of how you go from how Machine Games is going from down the corridor with two automatic shotguns go to the antithesis of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so hopefully it would be. It's it's basically a wrap up the interview I did. Sweet.
Speaker 4: That excites me most of all to hear that they're they're like, I love artists that will give themselves such a constraint from like.
Speaker 3: Doing the real hard time early on. Oh, they told me.
Speaker 2: That makes me excited almost because some of the best ideas usually come out it was difficult for them to kind of communicate to a team that's only been working on for ten years. Yeah, that's a long time to they just come back with like two double shotguns, like no, no, no, no, no, no, two whips.
Speaker 3: They can't pitching scenarios in which like, oh, it was so funny if up and it's like, no, you can only if it pulls out a tomahawk. One of the what is pregnant wife that's se fire with two machine guns?
Speaker 4: I love her not to completely derail, but hur at end of that where she's just kind of like, Okay, I need.
Speaker 3: To go home.
Speaker 2: He's like looking up at the angel covered in blood, naked pregnant woman.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, these games are so good. So yeah, I know that's is. I hope Indiana.
Speaker 2: I think Indiana Jones sound like a pink j Jones don't give a ship five dollars the box office.
Speaker 3: I was, you know, I walked out being like, damn, I think I think they got me. Okay, that's good.
Speaker 4: That's the most endorsement because you have been the most fudged against it.
Speaker 3: So I'll think that's gonna be an interesting one to cover because it comes out like December. Oh yeah, that's any games that comes out in December is like really hard. Yeah, and I feel like I'm the baby here. What is it? What is it? Just because everything comes out, it might miss our game of the year. Yeah, straight out.
Speaker 2: It's like our deliberations could potentially be happening that day. Wow, that's what happened now, actually happened before. Yeah, special with Halo Infinite.
Speaker 3: Halo Infinite. It's interesting. Jordan Remain was the only one in the team who had played it. They he reviewed it. Yeah, he was the only one who could speak to it. Oh my god.
Speaker 2: So we had to go through the liberation, just kind of taking everything Jordan. That happened with Last Guardian, with Peter in twenty sixteen. Last Guardian, it happened with It happened with Smash Ultimate and ed in twenty eighteen. Yeah, yeah, and then it happened, Uh what would would you just say Halo Halo twenty one when Jordan was like, I'm the only one who like finished this whole thing. Yeah, and Jordan loved it, really liked Taylor Infinite. Yeah, so weird, it's funny, but you're right, I have a one. Well, then you can play it on PS five and Xbox.
Speaker 3: That's all that whole thing.
Speaker 2: In the spread your next year PS five Yeah, yeah, the best PS five.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I realized it was I was I'm so in a tunnel mode of what I'm working on that. I was like, they were like five, like, it's not so who says Microsoft? And then Eric Tay yesterday it was like, yeah, it's coming out next year. I was like, no, it's not coming this series P five.
Speaker 3: I was like, yeah, oh right. I was like, what what are you talking about? It strange and the games are crazy, man. Yeah. When I when I when I first when I saw the game's calm gameplay, like, I was like, oh, I think I get it now. I think I know what they're trying to do, because like Wolfenstein has all this exploration behind it. It's not just like I'm like a corridor shooter anymore. There's like so much context that they put into the level design as well. So Okay, they're just emphasizing something different that they've already been doing really well for this game. So I'm like, oh, okay, cool, say less, I'll play it. Yep, yep, exactly that exactly that. Oh.
Speaker 4: One of the the third person to first person switching. Did you see like seeing it?
Speaker 3: It was fine. I don't give a fuck. It's just the thing. It was one of those things that I just don't know how it's gonna work. I don't know why.
Speaker 2: Just every time you interact with something, it's like, you know, it's like it's like whatever, you're climbing a rope. I didn't know if it was like no, no, no, no, no no, no, it's it's it's a person. It's just when you're interacting with something or doing something.
Speaker 3: Frankly, I'm okay with it because sometimes I think, like first person maneuvering stuff in first person certain scenarios is like nauseating and like sure kind of silly. I don't know, it's I always go back.
Speaker 2: This is mostly VR talk, but like I think, uh like Rising four VR, not the not the remake. Uh was always did a good job of like when he did like roundhouse kicks and ship taking a third person I should know. But Village is the opposite because that game was built to be in first person person and cut scenes is like so disorienting and silly.
Speaker 3: Looking to me. So I'm okay with it. Well, I was just wondering if it was it was a button to switch or it's just context.
Speaker 2: There's only one thing that it's on the UI that they didn't really explain, just like in the bottom course, I mean I did ask them about it. In the bottom corner, you can see like a little like you see like Indy's face and there's like a deep aad arrow And I was like, oh, are you like in ciney waiting that you can switch characters at some point because there is another protectonist that game not a playable one, but there no, it was. It was just just confirmed because it's like disguises are going to be a big deal.
Speaker 3: So it's actually because yeah, an indie hit man level. I like that word, like that cool cool man. Yeah. Other than that, the game, my care the game that actually like the most from games Come was about Ralph said it was the game. It was like the standout game to me really just like I feel like from what I've the conversations I saw, like people are like, oh, it's this might not be a very difficult game to show. Okay, Okay, That's how I felt about that. I forget when they did it, but like a while ago they did that that little like showcase thing. I think it's the beginning of the year, and I remember just being like, ah, this isn't really doing it for me, but yeah, I imagine that game needs time.
Speaker 2: The yeah, the from what I played, I played two of three available classes, and I deliberately didn't choose the Barbaring because I was like I know this.
Speaker 3: I mean I felt like I know it. I was like, I was like, I I've seen I've played enough first person. You've been playing a lot of oblivion. I see you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I went. I fell asleep on that boat in the end. Did by happenstance?
Speaker 3: Yes.
Speaker 2: I just was like, I was like, I don't want to go. I just need to sell my ship. Imperial City I hate, Yeah, go sell my ship. Oh there's an inn I leveled up. Let me go ticket out. That's exactly how I fucking woke up and the boat was out to see and I was like, what the yeah, let's go fantastic.
Speaker 3: Oh my god, I'm so happious happy. That's the way you just perfect. So sorry, Jake. That reminds me that you kind of like hinted at it, totally forgot you mentioned anything about it.
Speaker 2: Anyways, so about I'll keep this more short, but uh, basically, it's like I played the Ranger class, which is a shooty shooting shooter class.
Speaker 3: Uh, and then the Mage and the one thing.
Speaker 2: I'll start with the Mage because I think magic classes are probably, in my opinion, the hardest and most boring classes the game and to do right in first person games, yeah, because I always think of like, like my context is it is games like the Elder Scrolls and stuff, and like I think of being I started like my I like magic classes, but those games a kind of ruined it for me because like playing Skyrim as a as a as a mage, you're just like hands out, just blasting stuff with your mits and like walking backwards and I don't really feel like I'm doing anything sure times, And maybe that's just my play style or how that game gave it to me. Vow reminded me of playing Wow, because when you play Wow, when I play Wow, And I'm sure that this might be the same for Final Fancy Online or something, but like, uh, it's all about your rotations of like where it's like you have a certain set of abilities to use in a certain order to cast a.
Speaker 3: Certain in fact, area of fact, area of attacks. All that.
Speaker 2: Avowed is that, so when you play me, you have a series of set moves as as as a mage period. But your items, your wand and the books of spells are different, so you find different ones with different effects. You find differ, so you build, find, you build, so you always you always have your set things, whether it's like rooting people on the ground, like you know, electrocuting them.
Speaker 3: But then you might have a book that specializes in.
Speaker 2: Like uh, creating like magical melee weapons, so you like can root someone on the ground, poison them with like a fucking cloud or something thing, and then you can like spawn us you know this like mallet out of magic and beat the ship out of it.
Speaker 3: Or you can have a different book.
Speaker 2: With a different with a different set of skills. So like the build that I played had two books, so it's able to psyche through like almost like fucking Doom style, Like I like have one book cast the spell, flip to the other book cast these spells. It was way more in depth and way more intricate than I used to playing in games like this, like of a first person single player that was more like again reminiscent of playing like an MMO when you're playing with a group of people and people are depending.
Speaker 3: On you for a certain rotation. Yeah, it was awesome. That's that's really cool that but I don't know if it's a good I don't showing it is different, right.
Speaker 2: So so like there's like you know, you don't have context for like the rhythm because look at it just looks like shit's happening.
Speaker 3: Watching MMO combat, you look at it and it looks yeah, it looks like nothing.
Speaker 2: And then but playing like a ton of like combat versatility, so there's like jump dodges and like run slides and shit like that, so you like have versatility in your movement to also do this stuff. So I thought it was fucking wicked. I thought I genuinely had a great time doing it. Yeah, and then the Ranger was interesting because like there's no you don't collect ammo in this game. You're just infinite ammo, which I was like, okay, uh, And it's like one shot per gun, but each each mouse or shoulder trigger is like each hand. But like you can get really creative with like how you shoot and like because like one gun can have like electrifying attack when the other gun can have another attack. You can geet like really clever and unique while also having your own rotation of skills. Each class has its own rotation of skills. That's just really reminiscent of like MML planes to me like it was wicked. And then on top of that, during my playthrough, I had a conversation with a dude who is like bleeding out and he was like, please give me a portion, and I told him not. I was like, no, I'm not gonna help you, and he's like, I'm a virgin. And I could have responded to me like I can't help you with that the virgin.
Speaker 3: So the first time that is so funny.
Speaker 2: So the first time I did give him a potion and he was like, oh, I thank you so much. Second time, I was like, I'm not gonna give him a potion.
Speaker 3: So I kept talking to him, and the more I talked to him, ever, between every choice I made, he's like, please, I am bleeding out.
Speaker 2: I haven't had sex before. He dies mid conversation, so like I'm just talking to him. He's going along just choosing one other options I can't aside from give the potion.
Speaker 3: He's like, oh, I'm doing bleeding out and he dies.
Speaker 2: Conference just straight up like talking about so all of a sudden, just watch his body at the ground, and the other dude's like, well, I guess we can't use him.
Speaker 3: Anymore, and just like we have to go on and I love that shit? Yes, what's that? What's the general tone of the game?
Speaker 2: I would it's very I would say it's like it's high fantasy. It's very whimsy, and it's definitely very comical.
Speaker 3: But no, it's so sort of like a fabily almost. Yeah, yeah, it's not.
Speaker 2: It's not the heavy hand did. It's very like within the universe. It feels very within the environment, like contained within what it's trying to do. It's not trying to like be tongue in cheek, it's not trying to like fucking wink and nod at you the entire time.
Speaker 3: It feels very earnest, well in the same way New Vegas is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, yeah, okay, yeah, it's probably more in line with that and like one of the out worlds. Yeah, because there was a character I met who was who like considered himself a god and when you meet him, like, oh my god, you're a god. But the more you talk to him, you realize that he just proclaimed himself a god.
Speaker 3: Love that.
Speaker 2: So he's just telling people he's a god and he's acting like a god, but they're actually like, no, dude, you're a douche bad You can straight up to be like you're just lying to yourself and other people.
Speaker 3: You're not God. That's so good. Excuse me, I'm sorry.
Speaker 2: So that was actually my standout game, and I just want to make sure I say, because like, I actually really dug it. All the games I played, that was the one that I walked away being like, I'm very glad I got hands.
Speaker 3: On with it cool.
Speaker 2: And I don't know, I know a lot of people have the same probably or you, Michael, You've probably heard the same things where it's like it's I've talked to Lucy and Tam who only saw a presentation that in hands on and they walked away being like, I don't know, and I'm like, yeah, that's the impression I get, but skill up.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he was a fan. He was need not that I need validation from other people. I want to make sure I'm not insane. No no, no, no, yeah, really loved it cool. That's what's up man? Yeah, that's good, so good to hear him. Yeah, Jake Decker is avowed you an't touch on that game all right? And is there anything else when games come or nothing? Positive? Nothing? There's a there's a few games I saw that I didn't. I don't have a lot of good things today. You don't have to. Did you? Did you walk into an amusement of makeshift amusement park alongside the river and watch a punk band play?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: That sounds a Kurt moment that it was. That was in Cologne. I know, I know that, like the city is known for having like an amusement park in the city right there.
Speaker 2: That's apparently because like my partner was like, I was like, you should come and hang out with me after the convention.
Speaker 3: We can do that.
Speaker 2: She was like, Cologne doesn't look interesting except for apparently there's an amusement park there.
Speaker 3: And I don't know if I cared. Okay, I never saw it.
Speaker 2: I was gonna say it's my last story because I was. I said I was gonna say it for the podcast. Oh, I was warned the game's colm was smelly. Oh is that true? Partly, I would say the majority of games com was not smelly except for one hole. Oh okay, smelled as if human being had ate an entire brick of cheese and shipped out of one clump.
Speaker 3: It was so foul, so so strong. It sounded like just ship cheese. It smelled like ship cheese. It was so bad. I couldn't what was that about this one hall?
Speaker 2: So yeah, someone like every time I had to go around that area, I was like, funk, we're in the ship cheese hall, Like like we have to, like, now, crazy do this.
Speaker 3: I was like, I wasn't sure if it was.
Speaker 2: The smell from a thousand gamers in one place, a thousand games, if someone had.
Speaker 3: Really tried vomited or whatever the whole.
Speaker 2: Fucking giants, you know what the government cheese breaks that they would send out and yeah, sure, okay, okay. Turns out someone that morning apparently in that hall vomited, okay.
Speaker 3: Really bad, so much so that it calls someone else to vomit. We got to change crazy, Yes, oh my god.
Speaker 2: The best part was like this was first thing in the morning. Yeah, And this was like this was early access day is day one, either someone in business or someone who paid to be there early. The general public and their brains out at ten am and then another person someone just goes way too hard, like first day of games.
Speaker 3: If it smells that foul, it has to be something that is like if I if I throw up from like oh, I like drank too much the night before or.
Speaker 2: You also something you all Yeah, pure alcohol yack is not that bad. You ate the cheese break pork knuckle maybe I guess the city of Meat. Yeah, trust me, I witnessed two people eat that pork knuckle. That ship is a lot, looks like a fucking monster hunter meal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was pretty stupid. It's hard to eat. I don't I don't know how to navigate. Yeah, a pork nuncle. That's crazy.
Speaker 2: But uh so No, I don't think it was as smell as it was. But the smell that did occur was within a scenario that unraveled.
Speaker 3: Got sane. Yeah, but it smelled like fucking shit shit cheesh. I missed games, Calm, I want to go back. This is the god I missed that smell?
Speaker 2: How many times you've been only once I went in twenty eighteen, But like I I I remember it so vividly because like, I can't believe this is it was the first time I ever traveled in Europe. Cool first, yeah, I mean first time in Germany for me, like I've been to the UK. That was like my only other contexts.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and so I'm like I'm in this. I've been to like Mexico a bunch of times, of course because I lived in San Diego, so like, but like navigating Mexico is very easy because like I know some Spanish. I know, like this is the same vibe as with San Diego, but like this is a foreign, foreign place where like oh, there's a lot of white people here and oh yeah, and not like white people don't speak English. Yeah, I'm like kind of on ed. I'm like I feel uncomfortable, sure, just like I don't this, this is not I should not be here. But when when I got to Colonna, like, oh, it's it's chills fuck.
Speaker 2: Really progressive, like really chill, really cool. I saw, like I felt like I saw a ton of fucking diversity and like in every way shape and for him there And also, uh, I felt just so silly because I didn't have to like learn any German. Everyone just knew oh yeah everybody that's like yeah, English is also and It was definitely like kind of because I spent the first day mostly alone. I traveled there alone too, and I was like a little embarrassed, like walk into a place for the first time and like try and order something, and they were just like, hello, what would you like? I was like, oh, this guy, Yeah, yeah, so it's great.
Speaker 3: That's cool. Yeah, it's like, let's go, let's go back, let's go next day. I would love to go. Yeah, I've never been. You should go. That'd be cool and stuff of me. All right, straight up walk into a circus tent and see you a punk band play. Yeah, that's sound incredible. Yeah, this sounds awesome, shouts out to loop O. That's I got them on Spotify. Hell yeah, the.
Speaker 2: Twenty eighteen the Colone circus tent. Let's go during games calm and they're like, what the fuck are you doing here? And I was like, I'm chilling, sick. Did you like the show? I was like, do you the only one? There was like maybe like twenty people. And I was like, do you have merch Like not really, Like well, if you have merchant, would have bought it. He was like, well he falls on Spotify. The story you just explained It sounds a lot like a few things from the movie Wings of Desire, which is also a German film, Oh shit, and has circus tents in it. Okay, punk band, okay maybe, but not a punk band in a circus tent.
Speaker 3: Circus. What do they call carnees? Yeah, carneys who go to a punction? Okay? Great? What about great movie movie? Nick cave is the punk Nick cave is, oh yeah, and the bad Yeah. I only give a good seed. But anyway, I ain't like the cave out here. Ah, this podcast has been going on too long. Is there anything you want to talk about.
Speaker 4: I've just been playing Red Dead, I've been doing the Jake Decker, and I've been playing Red Dead two again. That's pretty much it, and I the only thing that I've gotten away from it is it's like I smashed through that game the first time I played it, which was such a bad idea. Oh sure, like I wanted to, you know, like I wanted to get ahead of all the spoilers and all that stuff. But playing it now and taking my time, it's so interesting to play a game where there is no world to save, you know, like there's no bigger thing than just the.
Speaker 2: Inner world that's leaving you behind. Exactly, We're more more ghosts of people at this point.
Speaker 3: That's exactly. That's what he says. That's what he says.
Speaker 4: And I think to play a game like that is so fascinating because it then becomes like what do you do?
Speaker 3: You know, like what, like how do you spend your time? Yeah? Like especially but knowing how that game goes.
Speaker 2: And what happens, It's like what do those those small moments mean so much more when you're you know, yeah, they have consequence and even like doing things like buying a boat for the camp and like going out and fishing.
Speaker 4: I'm like, yeah, this is just a lovely way to spend an afternoon. And then I go into town and go to the saloon and like, assholes, like just one more job.
Speaker 3: One more school. You're just on the camp fishing, It's like one more, just one more fish. He's going to be great, Like come on.
Speaker 4: But that that's it is, like these these grand plans, you see how much they don't mean anything, you know, how hyperbolic and how Jake talks about how optimistic that game is. And I I heard that the other day and I was like, oh, yeah, because everyone's striving for something, but it's something small, like it's just to get the gang to Tahiti. It's just to get you know, like I didn't want to spoil the story moment, but like save someone in the gang or something like. It's just little small moments that all add together and it's just it's such a beautiful ga It's so beautiful. That's my favorite line reading in any piece of media of all time is the one.
Speaker 3: No No, it's the the like, the the like what is it? It's with the with the Down, the Downs family, the the Thomas, the Downs that you get money from, and then he coughs on you and you go back and he's dead, and the Arthur Morgan's like, you know, after your mother's finished, morning your father, I'll keep wearing black on your behalf. And I get like, I'm like, ooh, the pen is like on fire.
Speaker 2: This is so sa But like that moment, I was thinking about that moment and it's such like it's when you play the game, like it's like you create these little moments. Arthur's seems so much softer, you know, like he just seems and then for him to do this whole kind of like macho intimidation. Things seems like such a front And I'm like, even if you're not playing like a morality run or whatever where he's the best.
Speaker 3: Person, you're just kind of like what what like what are you doing? Like why are you doing?
Speaker 2: It's so it feels it feels like I see this character like yeah, yeah, this is like such a human part of this character.
Speaker 3: That's like I know what he's doing.
Speaker 2: I know what he's doing, and I know, like you see through the front so and it's so well that, Yeah, it does feel like this is a real person.
Speaker 3: Roger clark Man, Yeah, amazing. Yeah, it's not.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying anything new. Red Dad's one of the best. Red Deadtoo is one of the best games.
Speaker 3: I can't talk about it because I'll cry. It's really yeah me, uh yeah, damn that's your I.
Speaker 4: But yeah, that's that's honestly all I've been doing. I dove back in and I'm like down the rabbit hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah. I was talking to Jake about this too, and I was like, yo, I might do that because like when Red Dead two came out, I'm like I was such a different person where like I didn't necessarily connect with the like that more intimate style, and I didn't like, I didn't like I knew, I know what happens in that game, right, But I was also like, I don't know, like I'm not really into like the rock Star style game, but like it's again, it's an antithesis to what you expect from Rockstar. So I want to go back where I'm like, I have experienced like so much more in my life now when I look back, maybe I replayed Red Dead and be like, oh, I get it now there like Persona three was that for me, where like I loved it when I played it, and then I played reload, I'm like, I get it now, Like I get what you're trying to say, and it means something completely different. Well, and that's the thing.
Speaker 4: It's this is the first time playing it in I think it's six years at this point.
Speaker 3: Came out what twenty eighteen, Yeah, twenty eighteen, and just how I have changed, how the world has changed.
Speaker 2: It's just it really has made something exactly to your point. Exactly to your point, Yeah, I might do that, you should.
Speaker 3: I It was funny. I was like, oh am I really going to play Red Dead again? And then I started.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm gonna play Redet again. Yeah, time I boot up Steam super.
Speaker 4: And you yeah, exactly, or this War of Mine or something like that.
Speaker 3: There was no, I didn't know the other game. You probably see me playing his crime scene cleaner. Yes that is yes, Oh that's great. Fifteen fifteen hours in that game is like power Watch simulator about for crime scenes.
Speaker 2: Yes, okay, yes, are you a criminal because you're trying to get rid of evidence?
Speaker 3: No, you're you are helping criminals. It's fucking okay. Oh so you're so you're the mirror, You're you're yeah, you're Yeah, Okay, you're.
Speaker 2: A janitor who's whose wife is dead, daughter has cancer. You gotta you gotta start cleaning up crime scenes.
Speaker 3: For the criminals. You get money to pay for your daughter's gun city. Yeah. The writings the main character is so bad.
Speaker 2: But then there's actually some decent, like really good, like clever writing for the scenarios in which.
Speaker 3: They kind of like give them to you.
Speaker 2: It's not just like powerwashingly where you go and clean ship. It's like actually there's kind of like a narrative that's incredible, but it's a big butt because it's it's made me question my purchase a little bit, or made me want to examine the development of that with a magnifying glass. The family portraits in that game are and it's one of those things where it's made me question everything about the game. Yeah, it's like even made me wonder like is.
Speaker 3: This voice acting like at times like I don't know? So I'm I will say, I taking it f face value.
Speaker 2: I'm enjoying it, but I might walk away and find out that I played a AI game. And so I got this right now, that's great because I don't have Twitter, motherfucker don't.
Speaker 3: That's right because I was looking. I was like, I was looking for a photo that we tweeted like a long time ago. So I was like trying to like search underscore indoveno. Wait do I have to do all caps? Because it was all caps? And like, what the fuck did he got? This? Man's disappeared. I had someone text me being like are you dead? Yes? Wow yet never again?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so good for you man, but we'll see. I'll get a magnifying glass. I've been trying to do some research on the studio. I wouldn't put it past them, but I do. I do think this game is made by humans. Okay, yeah, I just know that some of the portraits are I must have that. Yeah, look to him that. I'm like, that's not a real person, not to.
Speaker 3: De real completely.
Speaker 4: But has anybody been able to play me yet?
Speaker 3: Sorry? It just made me. Scene made me think of this. Don't want to go get it when I'm not. Jake was talking about it with me, and and and I really want to check it out.
Speaker 2: Yea crime scenes made me think of it. The smiling man, I'm interested. I would like to play.
Speaker 1: Saw ads for that. The seven to eleven in Japan.
Speaker 3: Hell, yeah, well comes out. I think it's like yeah today, No, I'm interested.
Speaker 2: Jake specifically asked me because I'm a narrative visual novel boy.
Speaker 3: But and I have mixed feelings on I.
Speaker 2: Have a deep appreciation for the FAMO kind of mystery games, but I don't think they're good. But I think contextually they're really important and the idea of making a like a modern but that's where I'm really I would like to see what the new version of that looks like.
Speaker 3: Apparently it's an M rated game, and that's cool. That's cool.
Speaker 4: Well, it feels like something like you know, famicom leads to something like hotel does.
Speaker 3: That's why I was like, contextually there, I'm glad they exist.
Speaker 2: If you were to ask me, do you think they're good, I'm like no, because I've I've played one hundred games since then. I've seen where it went and it's just for the time.
Speaker 3: Yeah, sure, got it.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's I probably will go with a target and pick up the copy when I will to leave here. Yeah, because I got children to put into labor on frost Punk still and.
Speaker 3: Fucked up games. That's is frost Punk two? No, No, that's not not yet. Oh just the first one. Yeah, okay, when does Frost come out? September twentieth? Oh, okay, it is. It's just something. Okay, it was a few months, that's what it was. I was like, labor, that's crazy. How about you about me? Yeah, I've been Japan all week. I haven't played in games.
Speaker 4: Good for you talk to us about uh your Yeah, we were talking about it earlier.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's funny because I think it was like two weeks ago. I was like, Hey, this podcast might not happen because everyone's gonna be in games calm, and I don't think I get anyone on it. It turns out I couldn't be on it either because I had to take a last minute trip to Japan help my brother move.
Speaker 3: Oh right, yeah, yeah, so it was last minute. It was.
Speaker 2: I saw that message in Slack and immediately textats general Luca was like, what the fuck what?
Speaker 3: I bought it?
Speaker 1: I bought the tickets three day how much more then? Surprisingly cheap.
Speaker 3: So that's the move. Okay, I'm going to Japan. I'm gonna give you the I'm gonna give you the moves. So I ended up getting a flight from zip Air, which isn't trust that. It sounds sketch. I forgot like it showed up in my thing and I was like, this looks like a scam. Yeah, because they were like, hey, you get these for this much and I was like, oh the way, that's significantly cheaper. It's legit. It is.
Speaker 1: Air Japan's budget airline. Okay that they just started and like I didn't. They launched it like early twenty twenty, which I was like, hell of the T'm gonna start an airline twenty twenty.
Speaker 3: But fair they didn't know.
Speaker 1: It only flies to Narita Airport and it only flies out of a very limited airports. So in the United States, specifically, they only fly out of sa FO, San Jose, Lax and.
Speaker 3: Like Chicago, and that's it. Oh sho Chicago, damn.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I was yeah, I was surprised they went that far, but that is it. I was able to get two round trip tickets for two yeah, for two people again three days before nineteen hundred dollars.
Speaker 3: Wo, damn, that's that was rare. Tell them.
Speaker 1: Also it was direct direct flight, yeah, no lay over. The second best option was a United flight one person round trip.
Speaker 3: Let's do prices, right, Yeah, I already know. Okay, I'll let me say, okay, I'll go first. Five thousand. You could say one, I said, well, I said forty not that much. This is one person. I was gonna say forty eight. Now it's less than that. It wasn't that, it was thirty six. That shit, alright, that's twenty five. Oh well, okay, five for one person. Yeah, now three days before that.
Speaker 1: That feels standard of like, hey, you're trying to get a trip like that, we're gonna we're gonna charge you up right.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: But again, so it's like it would have been five thousand for both me and George, which in which case she just wouldn't have gone. So it's only because of this airline like that, I was, we were able to do that. It's great at all. Crazy, So you live in one of those places to go Japan, you can get them, Like I looked it up, like if you just like plan it out in advanced and picked just like give me just a random day, you can get those as low as like two fifty. You can get something real cheap gass tickets.
Speaker 3: But that's what I heard. The flight itself though pretty good. Okay, there's no overhead bins.
Speaker 1: No, no, there are overhead bins. It pretty much has all the accommodations. There's just no like screen on your seat, which like doesn't happen with me.
Speaker 3: Food. Yes, you can still order food, I mean, but they charge you, but it's not that much they charge you on United. Sometimes I've been flying Spirit recently and I'm like, it's perfectly fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's like they don't charge they charge it for food, and they don't bring by drinks like so you have to get water as well.
Speaker 3: But it's like if you just like get that myself. Yeah, sometimes I do think it's a bit excessive. I oftentimes I'm like, no, I'm good. Yeah, I agree.
Speaker 1: So it like you know, and I think, I like, we paid a little bit more. We we had to pay a little bit more if we wanted to do like carry on carry on or that's so we just paid tab it. But because it's direct, it doesn't matter to me. I like having carry on when I know I have a layover because I inevitably my bag gets lost like on the in between. So with this, I was like, I don't care, it's one it's just one thing. I'm going right there. So honestly, the flight was like fine, Like for a budget airline, I'm like, it doesn't feel very budget at all. Like it even still had like charging ports and stuff like yeah yeah. So I was like I was able to like plug in like charge my all my ship. It was great, cool, amazing flight. So I went to Yokohama for the first time. I gotta do the Ichiban, the Ichiban Tour, the like a dragon tour, which was a lot of fun because last time I went to Japan.
Speaker 3: I did Oska, so you know, like and then and then.
Speaker 1: You know, dude, Kabukicho Camarocha. So this time I did Yokohama Road.
Speaker 3: Yep. So my my brother lives right the side of of Eastern Zaki Road. What the fuck.
Speaker 1: That's crazy called east and in real life, but he lives like literally right off there. So I went, I like went to his place and then like went around. It was like it's right there. Yeah, that's where confessed his love and got kicked in the nuts. And I found I also went down like the bar district. It's got like the word, it's got that curve, and I found like a building that it was like, that's that's where survived bar would be.
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I went around like it.
Speaker 2: Was where the Koreans were stealing electricity where you're taking like fruits.
Speaker 3: I found. I found.
Speaker 1: I found there like Koreatown, like they actually have the like Koreatown as a sign and everything. And I was like, because I was walking by, I was like, this kind of feels like we're the the the Gomi Jewel.
Speaker 3: Like the white oh Bleach Japan. That's one.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was that was cool. Though it was like hell of fun getting to experience all that. It's also interesting experiencing that in the context of yakuza because I feel like, uh, both Camarocho and and and like something boy don't worry are so one to one for the most part, Like they're not like perfectly one to one, but they're very close where yam Yokohama is obviously like it's a huge ass city, so it's much more condensed down, so uh like all the elements are there, but but it is way more skilled back like he's Zaki Chow is like a huge road that's like not even close to how you know, like in the game or the chinatown is massive, Like the the version of the game does not do it justice.
Speaker 3: It's like two different roads in the game. It's like two roads, and that's China.
Speaker 1: If they were to do if they were to do an accurate representation of the Yokohama Chinatown, it would be it would have to be a making map. It's like the size of Camarocho should do it justice. It was that's crazy, really cool. I was showing some pictures to Stu earlier. It is like the biggest chinatown in the world. I think, I think maybe yeah, definitely the biggest oie of China. It's definitely the biggest in Japan because it's like where all the Chinese immigrants like originally came from to Japan.
Speaker 3: That's like a whole story thread in. Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 1: It's very ingrained into like the history of Yokohama and like do that ship is crazy? Yeah, it's it's super impressive. It puts because San Francisco, I would say, has like the best China town in the United States. It puts ours to show. I mean it's it's the o G Yeah, but it like it really does put ours to shame. It's just like, wow, like we got nothing, you got nothing on y'all.
Speaker 3: It's crazy. I think Chicago's is. I think they have a bigger but I hon but I just know that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's kind of different vibe though. So like the the main there's kind of like two main roads. The first main road is very much the tourist y road where it's it's like ah, here's all like the street vendors and the stalls and the tourists. And then the second road is much more of like a quieter like oh, this is where you would actually go to like get your groceries and do this, and there was like a shrine there and like, oh, these are where people actually like.
Speaker 3: Live yes, it's not just like if you want to go to Chinatown for a good time, you go here. It's like, no, people think we people live here. This is it has all the things you need for someone to like exist, yes place, yeah, yeah, yeah. Our Chinatown like feels more like those two are kind of knicked together. Grant Streets the tourist and then just over totally. Yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like, yeah, this had a more this had a more like clear separation of like this is clearly the touristy part and it's like just flooded with people.
Speaker 3: Funnily enough, like I think Seann she was like a pretty cool representation of San Francisco, China. Sound like yeah, yeah, it was okay. It was like it's like what fifteen twenty minutes of the movie the first Yeah, so I was like, oh, okay, yeah, is that Marvel movie. Yeah? I watched what about that? I watched over someone's shoulder, Oh my god, some shoulder on their phone.
Speaker 2: I said, I sat on the plane the person and I just watched the scene because I get shot on Bush Street.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I just like watched that part and I was like, all right, enough.
Speaker 4: They're taking the one California bus yeah, it doesn't go on the street.
Speaker 3: Hello. Yeah, and then they end up square is so funny, right on the bush and end up the gird.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, they're they're going down for like twenty minutes and you're like looking at and you're like, oh, no, they're here.
Speaker 3: Now, they're there. Now they're yeah, wait, hold on, it's really they were. I was like I couldn't. I had to like go through security to get to my apartment. Really, Oh my god, what they do? Uh yeah, like you know, I gotta see that. I went to like the the park. Uh that's in yeah the game as well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah park. You see the big big ship and stuff. You could like go on it for tours. We didn't do that, but you can see the uh the first wheel.
Speaker 3: Yeah, go go art racing. I did see the shop.
Speaker 1: I was like I must have been the most annoying fucking person to Georgia and my brother because I like, I was like, I was like, see that gift shop right there, that's we can go go kart racing. See that that's where you can do the skateboarding mini game. And Lost Judgement just kept doing like where are the ramps here? You see that that's the holess camp where I can fully healed up.
Speaker 3: Damn, that's that's so cool. That's so sick though, Yeah, it was. It was fun. I really like it's it's a really cool city. Like it has was the uh.
Speaker 1: It has like a lot of the energy of you know, like some of the places in Tokyo, but like it doesn't have quite the like hustle and bustle.
Speaker 3: I would say it's like a cologne of Japan.
Speaker 1: There you go, like it feels a lot more chill and it's just like, oh you can you can see everything you want to see and then you can like do all this stuff. But also like it had how much chiller energy to cool?
Speaker 3: It did fine when I was there. I always get them fucking mixed up. It was. I stayed in Shinkawa. Hue is the busy is the like Times Square. It shows was where I where is where I was, And that was like the suburbs, which I where I fucking walked around and hung out. Shinega was like kind of the tail, like the south end right.
Speaker 2: So I got to I got between see I got to because I went to Shabouia for like a total thirty minutes go off the train.
Speaker 3: I was like, this is not for me, and then just got right back the train. Oh really yeah, I did not enjoy it because it was just time to me. You just felt like the times square right, It's just like you would have enjoyed more like.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but I had a great time in Chinagawa was good. That's where I went to psy Cats.
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh the bar.
Speaker 2: I think you'd like the slap bar. No, never mind, okay, they'll slap you listen, okay, sharing off.
Speaker 3: Yeah. Another thing, Yokama is cool, Like I said, the vibe is great.
Speaker 2: I looked it up by the way, and it's Yokosuka is the shenmu one I thought Yokohama was also.
Speaker 3: It might be, I mean it could well. Yokuska is also a place that that's where like yeah, yo, I don't know if it's if it's an approximation to, but that is like where the Navy people are and the son Yeah yeah, because like a sailor. That's like Yokuskas where like a lot of like my friends who lived in Japan for a very long time because of the their parents are in their pants area they grew up in. Yokuska was like, oh, well, there's like there's an American school there. Yeah, there's it's America butt in Japan.
Speaker 2: In Sheny you walked to the docks and there's the one guy looking out at the battleship and he's like, hmm, the Americans are here.
Speaker 3: That that is what it is. I thought it was Yokohama though, that they were at because it's also a poor town. You said it is, yes, Yeah, it was cool.
Speaker 1: I got to see the I went to the shin Yokohama Romen Museum.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you.
Speaker 2: It was.
Speaker 3: It was where the new sign was. It was like the glory whole butt for Ramen. I should have kept that one offline too. I mean yeah, texted me. You know. I went down in a basement and uh that was crazy. So what that was? This museum?
Speaker 1: Like the first floor of the museum is like a proper museum. You're like, oh, like look there's like an old like Romen cart stall and like you know all these learn on the history. But then you go down the basement and they have recreated like a nineteen fifties style like Japanese like oh shit district. Yeah, it looks like a theme park.
Speaker 4: Okay, in wait, I have to preface because when when John Leck said this, I thought they were talking about, like, you know, Japantown.
Speaker 3: How has the little like.
Speaker 2: The strip that now like replicates the the Japanese restaurants, like the restaurant row and it's kind of fun, but the ceiling's low. When you're like, okay, I'm still in the mall, this looked like Pirates of the Caribbean. Yeah, like this is like it's like a theme park.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 2: That kind of reminds me a little bit of that one underground city in Infinite Wealth what that was Hawaii?
Speaker 3: Yeah, like how is that?
Speaker 2: Like they have a fake sky crazy it's like a Vegas type joint a little bit exactly.
Speaker 1: And then like if you walk around, you kind of like walk through these like narrow alleyways and they like have like these fakes like little shops and they had there's like a cat mew like found that like played because there was like a cat in one of the windows. Like it was like very yeah, like theme parky. But the reason you go there is at the bottom they have all of these Ramen restaurants and each Romen restaurant, Yeah, you go to the romen O.
Speaker 3: My god.
Speaker 1: Each restaurant is based on a a like authentic old ramen recipe that they've like painstakingly recreated and that you actually like get to eat and.
Speaker 3: Trots boiled water you eat it.
Speaker 1: So like one of them is It's not the one I went to, but one of them is like the original ramen, like the first ever, like Ramen Shop.
Speaker 3: It tastes like ship. It was like they like recreated it. Like in this place, which is like super cool called top Ramen. Some brick so we came from a plastic bag.
Speaker 1: We didn't get to go to it. But in Yokohama there is also the cup Noodle Museum. Oh ship, that's like uh maybe, but like it's like it teaches the history of cup noodle and then at the end you get to make your own cup noodle.
Speaker 3: Oh a whole setup, make your own. But yeah, the ramen I had there was like the most delicious raman. It was so fucking good. Holy ship. That was sick.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Other than that, I mean, honestly, because I was just helping my brother move, a lot of my trip was like, you know, I got real familiar with the don Quixote. We went like five times because it was like nearby went to the mujie. Hell yeah, like we had all the spots because we're like we got to get your clothes, we got to get your school supplies.
Speaker 2: Dude, there was a Muji here in us that I shut down, shut down, that I went to all the time. That is, like, if you check my search history, yes, last night I was looking at Muji because oh yeah, I'm I'm going through like a detox mentally physically always like the things I own, wardrobe, all that jazz, and Mooji is usually a safe place.
Speaker 3: For me to start from the bottom.
Speaker 1: It's kind of the Japanese version of like an Ikea.
Speaker 3: I would say, I would say it's I would say it's a.
Speaker 2: It's it's a lifestyle Japanese store where you can get everything, like where it's an essential place of living cleaning, like from cleaning supplies diminish to minimal furniture to wardrobe to the best pens.
Speaker 3: Their pens are so damn good.
Speaker 2: Yeah so and yeah, they do have a really good stationary stationary like their own, their own.
Speaker 3: Their vibes are amazing. I prefer the way over, like I call it the I call it like the Japanese palate.
Speaker 2: It's like the like when I think of like when you don't think of your stereotypical Japanese pop culture and you think of like the palette of a place. I think of Mouji Beija's. I think every country place has a palette, and that captures.
Speaker 3: It very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Georgia fell in love with it immediately, and they got very depressed when I told her one.
Speaker 3: And said, someone shut down. There is the pandemic.
Speaker 1: There is this one particular pillow she found that she loved so much and was like, can I buy it online? You can't, And we didn't have room to bring it with us, and real depressed. We gotta go back just to buy that one pillow.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's so. That was cool. Uh uh.
Speaker 1: Don Quixote is a sensory nightmare of a place.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 3: I don't know if you've ever been inside a don Quixoto, to a don Quixote in Hawaii? Do their crazy so don keio No, No, it's just it's just the ship. It's one of those. So don Quixote is a discount store. They got the theme, you know, donkey donkey, so imagine you know, it's like it's a discount store.
Speaker 1: It's got everything you need. It's you know, like five or six levels, everything super packed and tight.
Speaker 3: But imagine so.
Speaker 1: Every instead of having just one song that plays in the in the place, imagine like they have a different song like playing not per floor, but like every like ten feet.
Speaker 3: So you'll be in like oh yeah, get pictures for contact. Oh yeah, so you'll be in one yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, You'll be like standing next to like the soap and like this one like song will be blasting. You'll walk literally five feet and another song will start playing like like the kitchen utensils are. And then on top of that, the don Quixote theme is just playing constantly.
Speaker 3: All the time. Have like three three YouTube tabs open, playing three different songs.
Speaker 2: It's a subway check out there because like I don't know my time in Japan.
Speaker 3: This is non intentional.
Speaker 2: But no matter what I did, no matter what direction I went in, whatever I was looking at one of those stories, it's like six flours fucking tall. I just always looked up and was like I'm in the porn section, like it was just me for I, but it was like not intentional.
Speaker 3: I just was just being bombarded by.
Speaker 2: Like small ones, always small places, lots of noise like this, and it's like a porn is being played on a TV screen.
Speaker 3: And friend was like, I was just looking at the toys. Yeah, I get the fuck out of st Italian guys like you would understand us.
Speaker 2: Get this guy with with with the with the pinched fingers to get him mister pinch.
Speaker 3: I'm sorry, Yeah, buddy, we get it on.
Speaker 2: The pinches the back of your shirt throws you out with one hand, Yeah, exactly, but that makes sense. Yeah, lots of noises for a country that protests you making noise in public, whenever you go into a store, there's no problem.
Speaker 3: It's everyone else.
Speaker 1: The fog walk, Yeah, the don kyot a BVP area, Yeah, it's it's uh, it's a nightmare place. And I kind of love it. I guess I got very familiar with it. As I told you about this. They had a commercial that was playing on a TV for like their new like it's like a new version of like the don Quixote kind of like to guess what American like musicians celebrity they got just starting this.
Speaker 3: Kot Well Jack Jack Johnson, Oh my god, what's his face? Boss guy.
Speaker 1: Now Jones is a musician, is an American musician. I didn't recognize him at first. Him it was a him, I'll get say that because he just had like a lot of stuff on him.
Speaker 3: And I was just like, who's that?
Speaker 2: And then it was interesting Farrell close in that area, but not could could produce.
Speaker 3: For that this person interesting? Oh is it? Is it a fucking oh my god? He's he was? He was an everyone's song. He was what is his name? Was like on a bunch of features Nelly Fano and he did a Timberlin.
Speaker 2: I'm saying. I'm saying so for this, I mixed it up. Not a producer, Yeah, produced a song. I don't know, you said Robin Thick. I mean still before before Michael said was you said a bunch of hats? I was like kid rock god, Oh, I don't.
Speaker 3: Think that they would kid. It was Brina Marsh actually like face was in my bring and they couldn't play imagine Bruno Mars like the guy.
Speaker 2: He's he's Hawaiian rights is like Portuguese.
Speaker 3: That he's Filipino.
Speaker 2: But he started out as an Elvis impersonator as a kid. Oh okay, I didn't know that I didn't know that that Elvis impersonator is now person Bruno Mars.
Speaker 1: But everywhere if you google Bruno Mars down Quioto, you'll find that ad and it's like him, like wearing like this glasses.
Speaker 3: It's also sensory. It's also sensory overload. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, don Kitto was great. Go look up that commercial. Okay, that's it for this episode again, spot everyone just.
Speaker 3: Like that, just like I got to cry for the next one.
Speaker 1: We got, we got, we got a bad we got things to do. Thank everyone for tuning in. So it's a little bit of a long one, a little bit ship though. We will maybe be back next week again. I don't know what's going on with this office in this desk, and we're gonna go shoot it or something.
Speaker 3: We'll go figure it out. City, let's go. We'll hopefully be back.
Speaker 1: For your regularly scheduled the episode next time.
Speaker 3: A piece take you down to gun City.