Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk is proud to be a part of the Airwave media family, home of such shows as Fork in the Road, Small Things Often and Therapist Uncensored. If you'd like to advertise on the show, contact sales at advertisedcast dot com.
Speaker 4: It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 3: A giant airy creature, part ape part Matt in Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland.
Speaker 5: It's a creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster tal.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and.
Speaker 4: I'm Karen Stolsner.
Speaker 3: Ah the good old days. We first talked with Ken Fader back in twenty ten on episode ten, which was titled Fee five foux fum. It was all about giants, from Biblical giants to the Cardiff Giant and well our giants if you think about it anyway. Since then, he's been back several times and always retreat and I was greatly surprised to see that he'd recorded and released an entire web series about archaeological frauds and hoaxes, which I know many of you are going to want to go Ben Jon, so not only do you get his terrific teaching style, but in like this humble podcast, you can actually see his passionate delivery and watch his face light up as he talks about these fascinating mysteries and how we know which hypotheses are likely to be true and which can be discarded despite how popular they may be on the History Channel. Now, some of you may be disappointed that Ken doesn't talk like a sailor on this episode. I haven't asked him why, but in the intervening gap between his last visits and this one, he's sort of filled his house up with a delightful bunch of little people that might very well have impacted the frequency of his foul mouthedness.
Speaker 2: That's just my own hypothesis.
Speaker 3: Who knows? Could it have been aliens? I mean, who finally knows? Anyway, without further ado, let's go talk to Ken Fader more obstrutal. So we're here to talk about your new YouTube series. And I was really surprised, like to see this like it's already there, It's ready to go. People can hop in and catch all the episodes. I don't know if you'll be doing more, but right now you've got a complete series out there ready to go. This is a ten episode ten episodes exposing hoaxes, blesting myths, and solving mysteries from history Colorado.
Speaker 2: That's really cool.
Speaker 3: Yeah, now you're not from Colorado, So I guess did.
Speaker 4: You come out here to film it or you just know I did this.
Speaker 2: I did this from my office at home. There's a story about this. This was all the sort of you know we seen in our pants. Let's see how we can do this, Let's see how many we could do, Let's see how long they could be. Let's get some folks, professionals to actually record it. And we just went along and I'm really pleased with how it ended up.
Speaker 3: It looks great, plastic.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've watched a little bit. I can't wait to watch some more. It's really fun.
Speaker 2: Well do you want my long winded background for how this all came about.
Speaker 3: I think that's what people are paying us work in, all right, Yeah.
Speaker 2: So it all starts in nineteen seventy eight. Actually, when I was the first year instructor university, first time I had courses that were given to me. Ken you designed the courses, you teach, the courses you grade the kids. And I was fresh out of grad school. And one of the things that I think people find surprising is that, at least in my day, there were no courses in grad school about how to teach, and most of us were going to go into teaching along with research, and so it was just sort of seeing your pants, man, they throw you in the deep end, and as the cliche goes, okay, teach a class.
Speaker 1: And I didn't know what the hell I was doing.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure I know what I'm doing now, but I certainly didn't know what I was doing back in the day.
Speaker 1: And I didn't There were no I had no role models.
Speaker 2: In fact, the run role model I had was kind of the opposite role model. I was just looking at other people. Before I actually started teaching at the at the university, I looked in on other classes, you know, I walked my classrooms and see how profts were doing their thing.
Speaker 1: And there was this one guy and I'm not going.
Speaker 2: To mention names, he's long dead, but it's you know, he was not He was not the most enthusiastic or entertaining professor. He was. He was a really weird dude. He used to dress in like nineteen forties gray suits and gray overcoats and like little pork pie hats, and he just we started calling him by his name, his first name, Kama the Undead is a vampire.
Speaker 4: Sure enough.
Speaker 1: When I would walk.
Speaker 2: By one of his classes that first the first semester, and I would see I'd make eye contact with the students in the class, and the look of quiet desperation in the eyes of those students was chilling. Because this guy would walk into a class, I don't think he would even acknowledge the fact that there were people there. He would sit down, put his hand on the desk, and open a three ring binder and then never look up from that binder and simply read his class notes.
Speaker 1: Oh, it was like it was a script, and it.
Speaker 3: Was tales from the script.
Speaker 1: Here's the deal.
Speaker 2: Here's my fantasy, Blake and Karen, was that one day I would walk by that room and look in and see these students, and the students would have this blak expression and they would, as if by some silent command while their professor is speaking, they would all rise up out of their chairs. And you know that that horror movie trope where like demons and ghosts don't actually walk like a person, but they glide. Yes, they film, they must put them on like a skateboarder or something.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's really creepy.
Speaker 2: So in my in my fantasy I'm watching is these students. I'm amazed. They just kind of glide towards the desk where he's sitting, and they surround him. And meanwhile, his voice never is muffled, but he never stops because he has no idea what's going on, because he's not looking up from his notes. And then I hear this hub and eventually he stops lecturing and there's a buffle scream, and then the students all look up. The hub stops and they become humans again, and they walk out of the room. And I look over to the desk and he's not there. And I walk in and I see there's the three ring binder and on the chair is just a little ashy residue. Yeah, you know, I thought to myself, with that fantasy, I never want to be that guy.
Speaker 1: An example of what not to do exactly. It was kind of opposite.
Speaker 2: It was the opposite lesson, and it was kind of in that moment that I thought, you know what, the best bottle I have for how to keep twenty five or thirty five or forty or one hundred people entertained is stand up comedy. You know, those guys and those men and women are able to capture an audience con they some information to them, right unless it's pure slapstick, and have them really think about it and be entertained by it, and there's and there's recognition. Oh yeah, yeah, that's Oh. I did never do that, and that became my model I was. I was stand up comic. And here's the here's the thing I used to tell people, there's a there's an old expression called that that goes a false modesty is no modesty at all. And it turns out that's not an old expression. I guess I made it up or I heard it somewhere. What I'm gonna tell you now sounds like I'm a pompous ass. Now I am a puppa's ass. But that's that's irrelevant. I I got really, really good as a lecturer and as a public speaker. I'm more out of fear than anything else, because I did not want my students to evaporate me. And be an ashy residue at the front of an auditorium. That scared the hell out of me. So I didn't want that to happen. So I thought, listen, you know, I can that, And then every lecture became like a state end up where I understood I had to engauge the audience's reaction, what was working on, what wasn't working. I had to add lib a lot of stuff as new as as people ask questions that as people reacted, and I got really good, you know, like I want to teaching award, hooray for me. But the point here is that I got I know that I got really good at that, and I liked it a lot, and I miss it. I actually miss not going into a classroom and teaching.
Speaker 1: But here's the thing.
Speaker 2: Here's here's the I think one of the saddest parts for me about teaching was that I would do a lecture I'm be and you know, they weren't all great, but I would be really pleased at the end of a lecture and then recognized it has it's gone, it's evanescent, that it's it will never be I'll never give that lecture again. In the same way I'll never have the same reaction in the same way.
Speaker 1: It's like, how do you preserve that? How do you save that? And I remember frequently thinking, well, day.
Speaker 2: I'm going to get our communications department or our av people to record my lectures because you know, no Blake and Canon, I don't want to shock you. But it turns out I am not immortal come day. I used to tell my students what I would in my intro archaeologic class. I would talk about dating methods in archaeology. Obviously, first of.
Speaker 3: All, don't lead with you're an archaeologist, because you're not going to get a date that way.
Speaker 2: That's uh, you know, I'm not speaking. The voice in the back of my head said, don't give. Don't give Blake, that take it away from it. And one of the things I would tell the kids is that that very often down when you open an archaeology text or a history text or or a prehistory text, that people instead of using B C or a D, which of course are based on the birth of Christ, who is not everybody's son of God, who is not everybody's God, incardate and that's sort of weird. So so people use BP for before present or or b C e is before the common era, and a bunch of ways of doing that. And then I tell them that I have my own method of of of of conveying dates. I have b F, which is before Fader. But we are now living by the way in the d F times, Durrek Fader, and you'll be able to tell your grandchildren back back in the Golden age DF I live through that. And then but that's sadly, there will come a time where there will be an af after Fader and and and it's true.
Speaker 1: And so this was always sort of this thing in the back of my.
Speaker 2: Mind that oh shit, you know, these lectures are great, but but nobody's gonna remember them, or by students who remember them, well.
Speaker 1: They're all gonna die.
Speaker 2: And so it's just this this moment in time when I was able to do that, and that's where and so that's just in the back of my mind. And so it was a year ago. Holly Norton, doctor Holly Norton, who is an archaeologist in Colorado State archaeologist in the Department of Department Office of State Archaeology and Historic Preservation, and we're Facebook friends. You know, I've never met her, but we taught, you know, I would come in on something she would say, and she would come out on something I would say. And at some point she wrote me an email or maybe it was a you know, a eye measseger, whatever hell it was saying again, would you ever be interested in doing a series of lectures. We have a little bit of funding on your you know, Fraud's Myths and Mysteries and Archaeology.
Speaker 1: And I thought, wow, that sounds really cool.
Speaker 2: Back and forth. I've had a life now where I can't let go out to Colorado for above the tape a bunch of lectures. But I told her, you know, look, to make this super simple, I can effectively give ten of the lectures that I get would give in my uh my class, which I use my book Fraudsmits and Mysteries Scientists sudo Science and Archaeology.
Speaker 1: That's Oxford University Press.
Speaker 2: Go and buy a copy going into it's goddp eleventh edition.
Speaker 1: So it's like, first of all, nineteen ninety.
Speaker 3: I don't want to interrupt your flow, but I will say that I know you have your favorite review of your book, but I tell people that there's more good scientific content on the cover of that book than an entire season of anything on the History Channel. And you know, I don't know if that's still being printed the same way. But the addition I have has all these facts and information on the cover. It's like it's not a joke, it's.
Speaker 1: Like for real.
Speaker 2: The inside Yeah, the inside cover is that it's kind of a list of dudes and dotes in science all together, but archaeology especially, you know, fa My favorite review was Faders. Book is filled with humor. It's like giving a dog a pill reffed in cheese. Yep, you're never gonna get it better.
Speaker 1: I love it, especially if you like cheese. And I like cheese.
Speaker 5: So so the series then, that that you've done is a great chance for those who've.
Speaker 4: Never been a student of yours to see you in action.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's and that's Look, it's a real ego stroke, it is. I mean, I'll probably get, you know, all kinds of things. People say horrible things about me, and that's fine whatever.
Speaker 1: You know, you're not gonna bother me.
Speaker 2: But but the response, the feedback I'm getting so far are probably from people who are fans anyway, who have read my book, or nob or no by work, and so that's been barely positive and I fully expect to get, you know, really bad blowback to and.
Speaker 1: It's it is what it is.
Speaker 2: If you know, if you've got to, if you have better, better stuff to say about this, make your own YouTube show or Netflix show that happens and.
Speaker 1: So, and we're fine with it.
Speaker 2: So so so when I took that opportunity to said, Holly, this is a great idea. But what we're gonna have to do is if I can do it from my home office and effectively do my you know, ten of my lectures, however, many from by course, which represents chapters in the Frauds Book.
Speaker 1: That would be great. Now.
Speaker 2: Coincidentally, I have done two of these two lectures, one based on the Cardiff Giant and one note one actually based on the archaeology of Sherlock Holmes and the archaeology in the Arthur Conan Doyle fifty six short stories and four novels, and I had.
Speaker 1: Done those already for Kathy Barr.
Speaker 2: Kathy's this wonderful colleague, brilliant woman, and she's the director of the P. T. Barnum Museum in Bridgeport, Nice and she has I would say, single handedly because she will yell at me if I say single handedly. But she has preserved the integrity of that museum after it was by a tornado, a tornado in Bridgeport, Connecticut. This is like ten years ago, and they've been able to maintain a presence in like the near adjacent building while they're getting all this money together to finally make the original building that was that was ordered by Pt. Barnum for his own stuff, and this is beautiful late nineteenth century building with a dome. The tornado actually turned the dome, which means that which is not safe. So it's not safe for people now.
Speaker 1: But so Cathy and.
Speaker 2: I've worked with her on a number of projects, and I've done book signings for her at the museum. And so she contacted me to say, Ken, we have this like continuing education series. We'd love for you to do one on things related to Barnum. And I said, well, the Cardiff Giant story is the perfect example of that. That's this fake giant fossilized man found the New York State in eighteen sixty nine and along the way, Barnum had nothing to do with it originally, but once he he sees that there's a lot of money being made. He actually offers the people who were who owned it at the time, he offered them like thirty thousand bucks to buy it so he could put it in his side show. And when they turned him down, the son of a bitch had a copy made of it, like clandestinely was able to make a bold of the original, and he starts he actually starts advertising it as the real card of Giant, and then they sue him, which is great because you know, that's great publicity. And somewhere in my in a file, I have copies of the announcements in the New York Times for the fact that that that that in the side show of the circus at Madison Square Garden is the card of Giant.
Speaker 1: And then the actual owners of the Giant.
Speaker 2: The Giants at this point is like a being displayed at all, but the real one. They they write a letter to the Time say, Gevitt, that's not the we have the real one.
Speaker 1: It's coming to New York.
Speaker 2: They actually if you look at a Google Maps, you look at the addresses of where they were being displayed. They were being displayed simultaneously about a block and a half away from each other in Manhattan, the real Card of Giant and the Giant that Barnab was saying was the real Giant, but it was not. The real Giant was a fake Giant, and by all accounts, Barnum out drew Barnum's fake out drew the real Card of Giant.
Speaker 3: I mean, given the nature of how they were created, I guess they're both blockbusters.
Speaker 1: Somebody go ahead.
Speaker 4: This is one of the topics that you treat yes.
Speaker 1: Chapter of the book.
Speaker 2: It's it's one of their lectures I give in the ten part series. And it all started with this thing that I did for the for the for the pt Bart Museum, and I did one on on Sherlock Hobs. Anyway, when Holly contacted me, I said, well, you, Kenny, do you know anybody there who does recordings? And well, I say, yeah, these two guys who recorded me for and again those were cases in which I did them at home and those guys and I sent those guys to power points and they recorded the power points and then they edited them into a really nice couple of videos. So I contacted Kathy. Kathy gave me their contact information. I contacted them and they said, oh, we love to be able to do this, and so they came down to the house and we did two or two at a time was doable. One time we did three of these hours. But you know what it's like for me, it was just like in the old days when I would teach a couple of courses, have lunch, and then teach another course in the afternoon.
Speaker 1: So it was it was great fun.
Speaker 2: They did a great job, lots of cool sound effects and whatever else. And and I really feel I mean, I know this is kind of sappy. I was joking of before, but it really means a lot to me that at least these in these ten instances, those lectures will you know, knock knock on something, whatever the hell it is, knock on what uh will outlive me, and that maybe who knows me, the books and the lectures give me a level of more immortality than I would not otherwise have, you know.
Speaker 1: And I don't know.
Speaker 2: People are not supposed to talk about what he yellen anymore, but it's a great line when he says, uh, you know, some people want to achieve immortality through their works. I want to achieve immortality by not dying.
Speaker 1: But that's it's really not.
Speaker 2: An option so so so these are things that it makes me feel really good that there is this concrete, solid thing that people not only are am I not restricted geographically once the kids in my class get to hear me, but that anybody who wants to watch them on YouTube, uh, can watch them wherever the hell they are, and and and these things will again, if I hope they remain fresh and fun and interesting for people well into the twenty fifth century.
Speaker 4: I'm loving the sound of this. Can you tell us a little bit more about some of the other topics that you treat?
Speaker 2: Yeah, you bet you. And I always have to look at my list anyway. So the way we did them in no particular order, and I think that that's probably best. In other words, it doesn't make any goddamn difference. If you watch do the well, I'll watch Pilltown and then I'll go to Atlantis and then I'll look at rock Art.
Speaker 1: It doesn't make any difference.
Speaker 2: However, there is a first or introductory introductory lecture which is sort of my chapter two in the Fraud's book, my epistemology chapter which I have gotten feedback on that chapter.
Speaker 1: How you do.
Speaker 2: Science archaeology is the example that it actually heard from people who have taken you know, they apply to the publisher and make photocopies.
Speaker 1: Of just that chapter.
Speaker 2: And it's taught in like philosophy classes and engineering classes because it's a it's a cool topic. Archaeology is really cool. But it also is a reflection. It's a model of how science proceeds all together. So so so the if there's a first episode, that first episode is all about, hey, look, how do you how do you know what you know? And I use because I'm the Sherlock Charlockian, right, I use Sherlock Holmes as an example of here's a detective.
Speaker 1: He investigates the scene of a crime.
Speaker 2: How does he do that? Archaeologists investigate the scene of a life, and we use a lot of the.
Speaker 1: Same techniques and procedures.
Speaker 2: Effect In one of the stories, uh the inventor of silver Blaze, a horse goes a race, horse value of valuables. Horse goes missing, and the trainer of the horse, his body is had. He's found dead, and they call in Holmes and there's a the crime scene, the ostensible crime scene where the body of the trader was found. And the constable tells Holmes, yeah, we've gone over this area very very carefully, and Holmes says, it's fine, let me take a look, and he gets down on his hands and knees and he literally excavates through the soil and he finds a bird. He calls it a wax vesta, which is just a nineteenth century version of a match a matchhead, and he hands it to the constable. The constable is really annoyed. We were just over this. How did you find it? And Holmes said, well, it's very easy. I found it because I was looking for it. That just absolutely blows me away, because I think, you know what, that's why archaeologists and folks who have no training in archaeology, that's the place we have to meet where you understand with a butt with just like Charlotte Holmes, trading and a well of experience, we know what we have to find in order to support a hypothesis that what ancient Celts were sacrificing people in New Hampshire, or Atlanteans were traveling across the ocean and giving people technology and teaching them how to make calendars and how to make great monuments, or the ancient Jews were in New Mexico and left a copy of the Ten Commandments. We know what must be there in order to support that hypothesis. And when Holmes found the wax vesta, he already had a notion of what had gone on. He knew that that area where the body was found must have been illuminated, that something was going on there, and he had an idea, and so he knew that to support that hypothesis, you have to find something that indicated that the area had had been illuminated. And so he was looking for that specific evidence. And sometimes if you're not looking for the evidence, you're not going to find it. And so what I do is I go through.
Speaker 1: A whole bunch of.
Speaker 2: Ways in which archaeologists know how we know what we know. And it's it is the kind of stuff that is not necessarily intuitively obvious. But if you take a course in archaeology, you go, oh, okay, I get it. That's how you know what you know. It's not it's not about it. Really, Archaeology is really not about just making it up, which you hear online all of the time. No. No, what we do is we, like as all scientists, we have an idea. We hypothesize something and we say this is this is the kind of stuff that we have to find if that hypothesis is to be upheld, and if we don't find it, we put that hypothesis on the shelf. We say, that's a cool story, but we don't have any support for it. And so that's that's the first one is that. Then I go on to something the fun stuff, the Cardiff Giant lecture, which is a ton of fun about how you scientists look at this giant. They say, oh, come on, come on, this is a statue in a gypsum, hasn't been in the ground for more than a year, and that didn't That's a great object lesson in credulity and gullibility because even though scientists O. C.
Speaker 1: Marsh O'THEO. C.
Speaker 2: Marsh really famous paleontologist in the late nineteenth century Yale University. If you go to museums, especially throughout the Northeast, and you go see dinosaur exhibits, there usually is a plaque saying, okay, this was excavated by O. C. Marsh. He was that big of a deal.
Speaker 1: And O. C.
Speaker 2: Marsh was called in to look at the Cardiff Giant and he said, no, no, this is a statue but nobody cared. Very few people cared. It did not cut back on people's interest in going and seeing the giant. And it was only really six months after the thing was discovered that the guy who pulled it off, this George Hall, he confessed to were newspaper reporters. Yeah. I had a block of gypsum, purchased it in Iowa, sent it to some Chicago stonecutters.
Speaker 1: They made the giant. They shipped it east Me and my.
Speaker 2: Cousin Stub Newell Stub is that a great name for a farmer in the eighteen sixties in New York, Stub And I always tell I tell students this because I read it someplace that some people claimed it was a result of one of stub Nowle's anatomical deficiencies.
Speaker 1: I'm not saying that anything.
Speaker 2: I don't know if that's the case, but uh, and so you know, he confessed the thing is to day they brought it on the road. Listen.
Speaker 1: I don't know how how long we want to go.
Speaker 2: With this, but when I was this is in the eighties, sometimes I did. At some point I did an interview for a Histori's Mysteries, which was back with the history channel wasn't focused on the stuff it's focused on today. They did a week of famous historical hoaxes. They did one on the pilt Down. They then went on the protocols of the elders Zion. At the end went on on on the Cardiff Giant. This is the one where they were asking me to to they want a sound check, and instead of be going you know, testing one, two three, I said, well, if you want to define this Cardiff Giant, the sentence, he was a.
Speaker 1: Giant naked guy.
Speaker 2: The thing is I told all my friends, all my relatives, you gotta watch the histories and mysteries.
Speaker 1: And they watched it. God damn it.
Speaker 2: After every commercial when they would come back, if you listen carefully, you could hear me saying in the background, giant naked guy.
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: I did a lecture. I did a lecture for a local skeptics group and they didn't pay me, but I got like a rubber chicken for dinner, and they gave me a T shirt that said ask me about the giant naked guy. I don't wear that in public because I you know, personally, I don't want anybody coming up to, yeah, tell me about the giant naked guy.
Speaker 1: So that's that's just real, that's fun.
Speaker 2: And I wanted, you know, people to have at least one example of something that was just just silly. There's another one on Pilton, which is a hell of a lot more serious, because that's an example where scientists too. Scientists are people, and yeah, we we screw up, and some of us are dicks, and some of us are inflexible and some of us are are easily fooled when we see something that we want to be previously uh desired outcome. And the whole thing about Piltdown was number one, England had no ancestor. There were no there were no The fossil evidence of human evolution was from Germany, it was in Spain, it was in France. Uh, it was even in the island of Java, and literally the British War effectively evolutionary, you called evolutionary bastards they had They had no ancestors, there were no In fact, a French palaeontologist described English human palaeontology as mere pebble collecting because.
Speaker 1: That's all they got. They got rocks, they don't have bones.
Speaker 2: And so when when you know the Charles Dawson and Arthur Smith Woodward, who was Dawson, was just this guy. He was a a collector, an amateur collector, and but he was really good at finding stuff, which turns out a lot of it he found because he planted it.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 2: But he got a scientist, Arthur Smith Woodward, an ichthyologist at the British Museum, to come and take a look, and they excavated the site. They found all kinds of evidence of this this fossil that was very human like skull, human like creatium, but a very apel like jaw, and that this was ultimately the the the human ancestor that everything else came from. That, that Neanderthals were never lutionary offshoot and all these other java man again that was that was something that died off. But the real ancestor, the root of the human evolutionary tree, was right here in England. So people accepted that, they embraced it because it was what they wanted to believe. And it wasn't until I got that was the nineteen tens, And then it wasn't till nineteen fifties that technology had developed enough that people could actually assess and say, you know what, the skull is moderned five hundred years old, and the jaw is of an Orangutad for God's sake. Cool thing about that is that even very recently, with the last ten years, they were able to extract DNA from the mandible the lower jaw, and in fact have proven that it's an Orangatad jaw that was doctor to make it look like it belonged to the very modern looking cranium.
Speaker 3: The cool thing is in our archives if you want to hear more. Obviously, first of all, go to the news stuff, go to YouTube and check out his series. But also we did a deep dive on the Cardiff Giant and we didn't know we touched on pilt Down. I don't remember if it was the whole episode. We definitely talked about that a good bit and what we haven't talked about but you've mentioned here, I think briefly talk about epistemology just a little bit because I think it's fascinating, uh and super important because I think a lot of arguments come down to you're not really discussing the points. What you're really getting at is you guys have different basis for how you know things.
Speaker 2: In the episode, I go through all of the things that are that's this is not how this is not how science works. So it's a lot of it is look these these these steps that people are taking, understand that's not the way science works, or is it the way that science can work? And I think the biggest, the biggest problem I see in epistemology for all sciences is this. And I wonder if it steps from the American tradition of a jurisprudence in which a person is innocent and your job is to prove them guilty. But that otherwise the assumption is they're innocent. And I think people think, well, new ideas, new claims, new speculations, it's it's your job. If you're a scientist and you're skeptical, it's your job to disprove them because we are We're going to accept them because you know, because somebody, somebody said it out loud and we like it, and you know, you guys, you prove the negative.
Speaker 1: And that's that's not the way science can work.
Speaker 2: Nobody. If somebody were to say, hey, look if you you know, if you gargle apricot, ground up apricot pits, it will cure your cancer, Well, nobody's gonna say, Okay, well, all guys do that because you have to prove me wrong. I think most people and that kind of existential moment, would say, well, is there any evidence that this thing works? And that's the that's the smart thing to do, is to ask for the evidence that it actually has.
Speaker 1: An impact, actually works, and.
Speaker 2: Not just say well, I'm gonna blinthely go around doing this and and forget what forget chemo and forget radiation, and forget all those other modalities of treatment. But I'm gonna gargle apricot pits because somebody said it works. That's not the way science can work. So if you say, well, look there was there was an ancient civilization twelve thousand years ago that bequeathed its knowledge to all of the known civilizations from thousands of years later, we don't just say okay, cool, Okay, that's it, and now we're going to try to disprove it.
Speaker 1: It's the job of the claimant.
Speaker 2: The burden of proof is always on the person suggesting the hypothesis. And and folks, I think folks don't understand that. I think folks also don't understand that the uh A lot, a lot of of the pseudoscience that I see has an overabundance of question marks in there. In there, there are very few definitive statements. It's all question marks. You read any of Eric mcdonekan's books, even the title of Chariots of the Gods as a question mark at the end of it, and there's an old there's an old saying in uh a journal is that any statement in a newspaper article that ends in the question mark the answer that means that it's bullshit? You know that The answer is no, this is bullshit, we don't have any evidence for it. And they get away with it by saying, well, I never said it. I just wondered about it.
Speaker 3: Just asking questions. The j a Q, which I love. Someone came up with jacking off j a qing off, which I freaking cannot get out of my head. I just think it's so funny.
Speaker 2: So but but again, that's that's I see that very often as a defense.
Speaker 1: What are you guys? What do you guys care?
Speaker 2: He's just asking questions. But that's like, you know again, if you if you, if you take the model of a court case, a prosecuted attorney can't say to a guy who's, you know, been been accused of the bezzelment.
Speaker 1: So do you enjoy beating your children? You can't say question.
Speaker 2: I don't know. Obviously that's that would be inadmissible in a court. Yeah, in the courts of science as well. But the other thing is I get this a lot from folks, and I understand it. I empathize with this. You're not foolish to say this, which is but isn't it possible?
Speaker 1: This is what?
Speaker 2: What a complete dick? I am?
Speaker 1: All right?
Speaker 2: So, a bunch of years ago I did a talking head piece for an independent film called The Dragons of Jim Greed. It is a it's a lovely little film. This guy, Randy Sallow, who was the director, the producer, the recordist, he wrote the music for it.
Speaker 1: He good guy.
Speaker 2: And Randy called me up and said, look, I've got this guy, Jim Greed, and I think it was North or South Carolina, and he believes he's an older man and he believes that he has found evidence of a thirty million year old civilization on his property of intelligent he called him reptiloids.
Speaker 1: So you know what cool?
Speaker 2: And he asked, He said, look, Vader, I got your book. I know you're a skeptic. I would like to interview you, I says, Suah, he came over to the house. Now here's I buried the lead Here, Andy Snello.
Speaker 1: Jim Green was his grandfather.
Speaker 2: Oh basically grew up of the old dude's property and he was like a father to him. And I never got to meet Jim Green and he's passed away since. But in the video he seems like an incredibly sweet and sincere.
Speaker 1: Guy, nice fella. But he's wrong.
Speaker 2: He's just you know, he's just wrong. So at one point Randy literally sits me down and says, yeah, but Ken Kenny, isn't it at least possible? And my response was, I said, look, I don't like your question because if I say no, categorically it's not impossible, I come off, as you know, a hard nose skeptic. I have a closed mind. But if I say it's possible, and you just cut it there, because really, Randy, it's possible in the same sense that it's possible that as I'm sitting here a pig will fly out of my asshole. And those are about the possibility that there were reptiloids thirty million years ago. Visiting houses of prostitution in South Carolina is about the same likelihood as a pig flying out of my asshole. Now, to Randy's credit, Randy didn't get mad at me.
Speaker 1: In fact, in.
Speaker 2: One of the the ads for that video, you could find just that sex of it, Rader talk about pig's flag out of his asshole.
Speaker 1: It's available online.
Speaker 2: So anyway I talk about that, I talk about Atlantis. There's an Ancient Aliens episode. There's an episode about dative American rock art that's been misused and abused. There's an episode about epigraphy, but written messages in North America, especially that where the claim is, well, these are ancient ancient Israelites, or ancient Celts, or ancient Phoenicians, or ancient Egyptians who visit in America, and Karen, you do know, of course that they're somewhere in Australia. There's a fake Egyptian writing, fake hieroglyphs in some state park that to this day.
Speaker 1: There are people claiming, you know, the Egyptians.
Speaker 2: Got to Australia even though the oh.
Speaker 4: I'm not aware of that. I'm gonna have to go and check.
Speaker 2: That out, the Gosford Glyphs or something like that.
Speaker 5: Okay, yeah, that's not too I mean that is a bit of a distance from from where I'm going to, but you might be possible.
Speaker 4: I have to check that.
Speaker 5: Unfortunately, we're gonna have to wrap things up, and I think our listeners are going to have to go.
Speaker 4: And check out this series. Yeah, absolutely, Yeah, fantastic. But we just had one last question. We wanted to ask you what you're working on next. You're always working on something fascinating.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing I'm working on right now, well, we've got the eleventh edition of Frauds is in the hopper, but my big new project for Princeton University Press, and there's no working title yet, although the thing is basically written is a popularly oriented book about the archaeology of North America, prehistoric archaeology, so those down builders and the cliff dwellers and rock art and the Paleo the original settlement of the New World.
Speaker 1: So it's kind of.
Speaker 2: Sort of geographical and temporal, but it's kind of the the History of the World part one. It's the history of North America, the native people, and it's been a ton of fun working on that thing, and right now I'm waiting for some feedback from the press, and then we're gonna get going on that probably in September. Everybody should look for that subtype at twenty twenty five, I.
Speaker 3: Guess excellent, assuming we're all still here.
Speaker 4: Yes, I think it is crossed. Oh, thank you so much for joining us today.
Speaker 5: They are really excited about this new series, and you really sprung it on us.
Speaker 1: Think about it.
Speaker 2: I didn't know if I was supposted like tell people about it beforehand, so I kind of waited until it was ready to go. Monster.
Speaker 3: You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stoltner. You just heard an interview with doctor Ken Fader about his new web series on archaeological frauds and hoaxes. Check out the show notes for links, or go to YouTube and search for Fader Exposing Hoaxes and it'll take you right to them. And be sure and check out Ken's books, the latest of which is about forty alleged archaeological mysteries and oddities, which make a great companion to his previous book of fifty archaeological sites you should see before you exit this place. Karen and her family are back in Australia for a few weeks and as a reminder, we'll be bringing our partnership with Airwave Media to a very amicable end shortly, so your feed might see some changes, but remember you can always find the latest episodes in the correct podcast feed information over at monster talk dot org, so if anything hiccups or you don't see episodes when you expect, to check there for guidance on how to get it fixed. Monster Talks theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys and we appreciate your taking the time to download and listen, and we hope that you enjoyed your visit with us. If you did, why not share it with a friend, And if you don't have any friends, you still guide us.
Speaker 2: This has been a Monster House presentation.