Speaker 1: You're listening to an airwave media podcast.
Speaker 2: Monster House Presents.
Speaker 3: Monster Talk is proud to be a part of the airwave media family, home of such shows as The Daily Meditation Podcast, The Accidental Creative and I Know What Scares You. If you'd like to advertise on the show, contact sales at advertisedcast dot com. Human beings have a strange relationship with swamps. For much of history, cultures have viewed swamps as undesirable or even dangerous wastes of potential farmland. Real estate built on drain. Swamplant exists around the world, and until the latter third of the twentieth century, not many tears were shed over the departure of this kind of murky, dank, insect and reptile filled landscape. In the United States, our national capital was literally built by draining swampland, and it's a fairly recent thing for enough concern to collogists to try and get us to realize how vital and important these habitats actually are. Their campaign even gets down to language management, as marketing people have striven to get folks to say wetlands preferentially over swamp because so many people instinctively either fear, hate, or disregard such places without thought. And of course it didn't stop there. We also populated our swamps with monsters, and we still do. Cryptid author Lyle Blackburn has a whole book dedicated to swamp cryptis called Sinister Swamps, Monsters and Mysteries. From the Mayre, from Boggy Creek's falk Monster to the Honey Island swamp monster to the lizardmen of Skapeo or swamp folks see things in those dark and foreboding waters, the vines, the shadows, the unrecognized animal sounds, the water so black you can't see more than a foot down. Our minds filled those shadows and voids with sinister creatures, crawling death in the form of real animals like snakes and alligators, And where real creatures aren't enough, we make up new things, like humanoid swamp monsters of fiction that began in the nineteen forties with Theodore Sturgeon's incredible short story It. It was the inspiration for the heap for swamp Thing and eventually man Thing. Comic books answer to a reading public's desperate need for more swamp monsters. But it turns out that it wasn't humanoid plant monsters, or oversized reptiles or mandating vines, and not even quicksand that was the real danger in all those swamps. It was something smaller, something folks forever had thought was merely an annoyance, but it was something we couldn't escape, and it wanted to drink our blood. There's hardly a place on Earth where you could truly hide from this monster. It's actually quite unlike anything we've ever seen before.
Speaker 2: A giant, hairy creature party parts.
Speaker 4: In Luckness, a twenty four mile long bottomless lake in the Highlands of Scotland, in the creature known as the Luckness Monster.
Speaker 2: Monster tal.
Speaker 3: Welcome to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. It's hard to believe just how recently mankind has realized the danger of the mosquito. These little insects are hands down the most dangerous animal known to man by now. Most people know that the primary disease vector for malaria, but that's not the only dangerous thing they carry. As we'll hear in this interview, when colonialism was the primary driver of the wealth of the British Empire. One huge problem that they struggled with was that their colonists kept coming down with tropical infections. Malaria in particular was devastating. A remedy for the disease came from the bark of a tree, which had been used by indigenous healers for hundreds of years. While this same remedy was used by the Europeans, it was not well understood and was the subject of intense scientific research. The particular substance in the bark was isolated chemically in eighteen twenty by two French chemists, but there was a tremendous push to find a way to create this substance artificially and to not need to rely on the slow life cycle of a tree in order to treat the many colonists who had no immunity to this terrible disease. That substance we now know is quinine. It is still used in malaria treatment today, but because it is very bitter, it was usually mixed with other liquids, and the British in particular came to mix it with tonic water and gin and perhaps a little on the nose. For the Brits, a bit of lime juice so even if you live in an area with no malaria, you've probably encountered quinine. I mention all this because something pretty amazing happened in that drive to find a synthetic malaria treatment. A nineteen year old chemistry student named William Perkin came home on a school holiday and decided to try and synthesize quinine from coal tar. This was a bold and perhaps ridiculous attempt, given his youth and inexperience, and as you might expect, the experiment was a complete failure. But when he went to clean up his equipment, he found he'd made a big mess, a big, absurdly purple mess. His failed attempt to make quinin had produced the first synthetic color, and one that was immediately and obviously valuable. Up until this point, purple was primarily created through a very time consuming, an expensive process that involved killing a particular kind of mollusk. With Perkins's new process, a bright, long lasting dye had been created, and he'd made his fortune. Not only that, but his discovery kicked off to the synthetic color industry that would be picked up by the German chemists and would literally change the way the world looks that in turn allowed the new science of color microscopy, improving the ability to see detail in microscopic samples by applying dyes to reach new insights and see amazing new details, which in turn led to an even more amazing discovery when it was found out that these dyes would sometimes kill some nasty microbes and leave other cells undamaged, which kicked off a new science we now call chemotherapy. All of this happens, and people still didn't know what was causing malaria. It wasn't until the very late eighteen hundreds, the last couple of decades, that convergent discoveries concluded that there was a parasite at the root of the disease and that the mosquito was what was spreading the parasite. It's been a little more than a century that we've known about how dangerous mosquitoes are, and in that time a huge number of quack cures, wacky theories, and dubious products have tried to alleviate the mosquito problem. So where do we stand today? How dangerous are these creatures now? Is there anything we can do to protect ourselves? Stick around and find out, as we're joined by doctor Louisa Messenger, who knows quite a bit about the world's most dangerous animal, monstrutal.
Speaker 4: So my name is doctor Louisa Messenger. I'm currently an assistant professor in the School of Public Health at the University of Nevada in Las Vegas. Now, I'm also the co director of the Powasitology and Vector Biology Laboetry. But my specialties are I'm a medical entomologist and parasitologist, and I spend most of my time working on improving methods of control and surveillance of insect born diseases, both regionally here in the United States as well as worldwide.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much for coming on the show. And the reason that I invited you on was that, I guess my son and I go for a walk every day it's summertime here in Denver, and we are just getting eaten alive by mozzies as we call them in Australia. But so I was just thinking about mosquitos in terms of being monstrous because they drink blood and because they bite, and they carry diseases like malaria, and so I just looked up mosquito experts and you kept coming up and I read the article that the Washington Post had where they spoke with you about this topic. So yeah, we wanted to bring you on the show. And as a first question, could you tell us some interesting information about the biology of mosquitos, So maybe what they eat, although we know that to some extent, but there are some surprises there too, I guess, and describe them, and some info about their distribution as well.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, well, you're not wrong. Mosquitoes definitely are monsters. One of the things I always ask my students when we first start talking about mosquitoes is what's the most dangerous animal on.
Speaker 2: The planet to humans?
Speaker 4: And a lot of the times I'll say sharks, you know, lions, bear attacks, or even other humans. But statistically it's the mosquito. The female mosquito kills them as humans every year. So you're definitely not wrong about them being monstrous. So the words of mosquito, and basically mosquitoes are just a family of small flying insects. There's about three six hundred species. But the word mosquito itself, it's Spanish or Portuguese, it just means a little fly, so musca and then ito means little fly.
Speaker 2: That's why we call them mosquitos. You're not wrong, oh yeah.
Speaker 4: About them being especially prevalent in the summer. But I guess the bad news is that mosquitoes occur all over the planet. There's only a very few number of isolated islands and Antarctica where we don't get mosquitoes. We get them down at sea level, you get them at elevations of over five thousand meters. Mosquitoes are really adaptable for a.
Speaker 2: Very broad range of environments.
Speaker 4: Most of the time we think about them in terms of the tropics and a lot of disease when it's hot and humid, but you also get plenty of mosquitos in deserts, in the Arctic, tundra, salt marshes, different ocean and tidal zones as well. So I guess that's the bad news is there's very few places on the planet that you can go to escape mosquitoes. And in terms of their actual diet. So it's the female. She's the culprit. She's the one who is adapted for blood feeding, and now she takes a blood meal approximately every three days, and every three days she's going to digest that blood using the nutrients to grow eggs.
Speaker 2: And then she's going to lay those eggs, and.
Speaker 4: She's going to do that for about three to four weeks, depending on the species. The male mosquitos their only role is to mate with the female once she emerges as an adult, and then they'll just sugar feed for the rest of.
Speaker 2: Their life cycle. The females will also take sugar.
Speaker 4: This is usually from plants, from flowers, from other vegetation, but she really needs that blood meal regularly to be able to survive and to reproduce the next generation.
Speaker 1: My nine year old son just told me that I had no idea. I don't know how he found out about that either, but yeah, that was news to me after getting bitten for decades and just not knowing it was the female the species that did that.
Speaker 3: Well, that's interesting is that is the blood meal particularly useful because of like the protein content or something else about it, as opposed to I didn't actually know they did sugar content. That makes sense. I was literally just telling my kids the other day. Almost every life form can enjoy sugar they need to, but other stuff not so much.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, it's because to produce eggs, it's very energetically expensive for a female mosquito I mean it's the same for reproduction in almost all organisms.
Speaker 2: It takes quite a lot of.
Speaker 4: Nutrients and energy to produce the next generation, and so she will digest the proteins and the components of the blood to produce vitilogenin it's a type of egg yolk that she then produces her eggs with.
Speaker 2: She will take.
Speaker 4: Sugar though, because that's important for flight, for dispersal, for matine as well, So she does need other types of energy resources, but that loo's crucial for egg production.
Speaker 3: Well, if you don't mind, another follow up this is, have you have there been experiments done, like if you provide them with plenty of protein, like a liquid diet, would they still prefer blood or would they not need it therefore not seek it.
Speaker 2: That's a great question.
Speaker 4: I don't know to my knowledge off the top of my head, but they have so evolutionarily adapted for blood feeding.
Speaker 2: I would be surprised.
Speaker 4: I think that's still always going to seek out At least the female mosquitos are going to seek out blood as that ultimate sort of nutrient.
Speaker 3: Rich evolution is hard to fight.
Speaker 4: And her mouth parts are so well adapted, essentially like a hypodermic syringe, the perbosters, her mouth parts, they're just perfect for blood feeding. Again, that just reflects many millennia of evolution. So, like you said, it's hard to fight that.
Speaker 3: So they're vectors for lots of diseases. Now, my understanding is that this is actually, all things considered a relatively new discovery, maybe like the eighteen nineties early nineteen hundreds that but what diseases do they carry? And I guess I'm curious. It's like how the world adapted to finding out this is such an important vector for these diseases.
Speaker 4: I guess it depends where you are in the world, will depend exactly what mosquito disease you're most at risk at. In terms of the statistics and in terms of human health, malaria really is the number one killer in terms of mosquito borne diseases because it's an acute infection and it can be fatal very quickly. In fact, the very worrying statistic we all throw around a lot is that a child under the age of five dies of malaria every minute.
Speaker 2: So there's more than six thousand deaths.
Speaker 4: From malaria and two hundred and forty nine million cases worldwide now historically, though malaria has been a global issue. It's largely concentrated now in parts of Sub Saharan Africa and small pockets in parts of the world like Venezuela, Papua New Guinea, and India. But we used to have malaria here in the United States up until the nineteen fifties. That's the very reason that the CDC exists in Atlanta was to try to combat and eventually eliminate malaria. But in places that malaria isn't the predominant mosquito borne disease, we've got plenty of others. So malaria is a type of parasite. But then the ones that we're dealing with globally and also in the United.
Speaker 2: States are arboviruses.
Speaker 4: So these are viruses that are transmitted by mosquitoes species than the ones that transmit malaria. And you'll have heard of these. These are like West Nile Dengi virus. We may remember the Zeca virus in twenty sixteen, chicken.
Speaker 2: Gunya yellow fever.
Speaker 4: There's plenty of these viral infections which are quite difficult to diagnose. A lot of them don't necessarily have a vaccine or any good treatment options. But they can be quite severe and sometimes fatal as well.
Speaker 1: So you mentioned different species, and in the articles where you were interviewed, you'd also mentioned it a new species, So that's a worrying thing. Can you tell us about this new species of mosquito?
Speaker 4: So that's only a new species here where we're based in Las Vegas, In Nevada, we're basically a desert and historically haven't had as many populations of mosquitoes and species of mosquitoes as we do now. But what I was referring to is Adies egypti, which is spread all across the tropics and subtropics, and it's the major vector of chicken gunya zeka yellow fever as well.
Speaker 2: We're concerned about it here because.
Speaker 4: It invaded the Las Vegas area in twenty seventeen. Initially it was just reproducing in maybe five or six ZIP codes, but last year it became explosive and it spread all across the valley to more than forty six ZIP codes, and we're trying to understand exactly what events triggered that, and now, unfortunately the community are being bitten during the day's a day biting mosquito and a lot of us react quite badly to it as well. You'll get quite nasty welts. It's unpleasant. It's not transmitting any disease here in Vegas that we know about yet, but we have had DENGI in nearby Arizona quite recently, so we are concerned that because our mosquito species here are changing and adapting and spreading, that's also then going to change our risk of disease here as well. But dengis a eadies Egyptian about massive culprit worldwide. I don't know if you've been following in the news that there's been more than five million cases of dengy in Brazil already. Large parts of Central America and South America are like Peru, are also experiencing really severe outbreaks this year, and that's vectored by adies adipty. So while it's not necessarily causing disease in my back garden, yet we're worried about it, and then the rest of the world is already having to deal with this as an issue.
Speaker 3: You really surprise me because when I think about mosquitoes, I always think about the needing standing water. When I think about Vegas, I don't think about standing water. But it must be there somewhere.
Speaker 1: Well.
Speaker 2: No, Well, that's the.
Speaker 4: Problem with adies agypty is it can breed in incredibly small containers. It breeds in artificial containers. It can be as small as the you know, cap on a bottle of Coca cola, for example. It lays her act she lays her eggs just above the water line, and then when the water rises, those eggs will then begin to hatch. Those eggs are also desiccation and drought resistance. You can eggs that have been around for nine plus months, and we do that quite frequently in our laboratory. But that makes it a perfect insect vector to spread all over the world. It needs such a small amount of water, and it can persist over winter or during periods where there isn't necessarily any available standing water. But unfortunately we do have plenty of artificial water bodies. We kind of bring this on ourselves a little bit in our golf courses here, in some of our more elaborate water features in our communities on the Vegas Strip as well.
Speaker 2: So you're right, we're a desert.
Speaker 4: We shouldn't really have that much standing water, but we we make them ourselves. And then we also had abnormal rains. For the last few years, we've had more rainfall here than we have had historically, so we're definitely seeing the effects of climate change and our kind of macro environment here in Suddn, Nevada.
Speaker 3: As much as possible, we like to help people minimize nonsense and you know, increase their's sort of scientific awareness. And I know science is always provisional, like we're always learning new things, but I can't think of a pest related feel that's as full of nonsense as mosquitoes and how how to repel them and folkal or around what attracts them and what doesn't. And you know, there's all these ideas out there about people think they know mosquitos, and obviously there's many species that even if some of these are treat they may not be true for everything. But in general, what sort of things attract mosquitoes? And here I'm thinking about human hosts and what sort of things actually repel them.
Speaker 4: So we get asked this question a lot, and I I have to debunk quite a lot of sort of hearsay and anecdotes.
Speaker 2: But in general, female mosquitos, she's basically after your blood.
Speaker 4: So what she's going to do is try to locate you as easily and efficiently as possible, and she'll do that using olfactory receptors on her antenny. She's going to use that to try to smell you. She's going to be picking up things like carbon dioxide in our breath, human sweat, lactic acid, skin volatiles, octanal phenols, and sometimes your body heat.
Speaker 2: Some people.
Speaker 4: Also, if you have very sweaty, smelly, cheesy like feet, she may also use that to try to locate you. And she's going to do that essentially to try and get a blood meal as fast as possible. The best thing that you can possibly do, which is what I always tell everybody, and that's not really what they want to hear, is to try to use some kind of effective repellent, some kind of topical insecticide that you apply to your skin. These ideally should be approved by some regulatory agency like the US Environmental Protection.
Speaker 2: Agency, the EPA.
Speaker 4: But these chemicals they're not that nice. There will be chemicals like deet picaridin Citronella IL thirty five thirty five. You can have some slightly nicer ones like oil of lemon eucalyptus. But people always tell me, I don't want to use chemicals. I don't want to put something noxious or toxic on my skin. What about if I eat some garlic or I, you know, have some cinnamon and maybe, anecdotically sometimes that can potentially repel mosquitoes or have a slightly interfere with her ability to find you. But the problem as a scientist is if it's not robust, reproducible data that's really backed up, we really I can't advocate for you to do that. If you think it may work for you, okay, that's fantastic, but we know that these tried and true insecticides do work.
Speaker 2: That's why they.
Speaker 4: Are approved, and they're really easy to get hold of over the counter.
Speaker 2: In terms of what can alter.
Speaker 4: Because I also get a lot of people asking me, well, I'm a mosquito magnet, or mosquitos never touched me, but they touch my you know, they'll eat my husband, you know that kind of thing.
Speaker 2: There's definitely some evidence that people smell.
Speaker 4: A little bit differently to different mosquitoes, but it's usually just what's happening physiologically with you. So are you particularly sweaty? Are you running a bit hot that day? Maybe you've had a beer, increased body temperatures, and indicator for mosquitoes to kind of find you the surface microbiome, whatever's on your skin at the moment. That will also influence just how good you smell to the insects, particularly mosquitoes.
Speaker 2: I'll read these articles.
Speaker 4: I wash with this soap and that will prevent a mosquito from biting you. Or apply this type of coconut smelling cream and that works well as well. But some of those things can work to an extent, but what they're really doing is just changing your microorganisms on your body at the particular time.
Speaker 2: But the problem is that's not consistent.
Speaker 4: You know, we don't consistently smell the same at the same time every single day. It just depends what we're doing, what we're eating, what the weather's like, you know, what we are.
Speaker 2: Wearing on the surface of our skin.
Speaker 4: So really, the best thing you can do, at least for the type of mosquitoes we have here in the US, is really good robust repellent.
Speaker 1: And I find that interesting that you mentioned citronella, because we grew up burning citronella candles and you have them everywhere outside. If you are having a barbecue or whatever. So that's interesting that that does work.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's definitely one that can interfere and people. Yeah, that's a nice sort of more friendly way to especially in your community. If everybody is not necessarily wearing long sleeves or able to apply repellent, you can do things like that which should have a little bit of an impact.
Speaker 2: The other things you can.
Speaker 4: Do, at least in and around your back garden is make sure your house is appropriately screened, so you've got screens on your doors, screens on your windows, and you keep those shut. That's one of the main reasons why we were able to eliminate malaria in the US as a public health problem is simply better house construction so mosquitoes can't fly in. The other thing you can do is dump out any standing water that you may have. If your pool isn't chlorinated orf it's not running. If you maybe have a bird bath or a water feature, any small amounts of standing water like I mentioned, even a small bottle cap, if that's hidden under one of your bushes, then that contains water. Any of those can be potential mosquito breeding sites. So you can't really control what your neighbors necessarily do, but at least in your garden you can do some kind of environmental management as well to try and reduce mosquito breeding.
Speaker 3: I don't know much about the life cycle of say malai, for example, and you said it's a parasite. So is it the sort of thing that a mother passes to her children through the process of birth or is it something that they have to be infected with as baby mosquitoes. How does that life cycle work?
Speaker 4: So for malaria, there isn't any transmission from the mother mosquito to the eggs. There is for some of the other viruses like Dengi virus and West Nile virus that we have here in the US as well as globally. With malaria, it's an interesting life cycle that one. Because the adult mosquito, she will take a blood meal within about twenty four hours after she emerges from being a puba. She needs to feed quite quickly, and if she feeds on somebody who is already infected with malaria, she will acquire that parasite. But it then takes about two weeks for her to develop that parasite first in her midgut within the blood meal. It then migrates back to her salary glands. Takes two weeks for her become infectious, so she'll be continuing to bite people every three days because she needs that blood to make her eggs, but she won't actually be an infectious mosquito for about ten to fourteen days. So that actually means in a community, it's the older mother mosquitos for malaria that are the ones that are transmitting. So in places where it's very humid or very very hot and mosquitoes aren't able to actually live for two four weeks, maybe they're dying at more of a rapid rate because the environment is really hostile and very harsh, there won't be as much malaria transmission because our mosquitoes are becoming infected, but they are not becoming infectious, if that makes sense to you.
Speaker 3: It's a parasite and we know it has some pretty nasty effects on humans. Does it harm the mosquito substantially?
Speaker 4: No, So mosquitoes again have really co evolved with the power sites and the viruses that they can transmit such that they have really good immunity against that infection that allows them exactly to be the perfect insect vectors. Essentially, to be perfect flying syringes containing these different patterns.
Speaker 3: Well in malaria in particular. So they've just evolved to not be affected by the particular I guess the things that bother us. I guess I'm wondering do they have any immunity? Is there anything genetically we could steal from them that?
Speaker 4: Yeah, just amounts enough of an immune response to tolerate the infection such that it's not going to necessarily kill the mosquito. Infection may have small fitness costs to the female mosquito. She may lay smaller egg batches potentially, or may not fly around as much. But like I said, again, just those thousands of years of coevolution together have made it such that the infection can establish and she can tolerate it, and then she has to essentially vector that disease onwards into humans.
Speaker 1: Amazing. So you've really proven to us always that mosquitoes are seen as a nuisance. But is there any way to we can possibly learn to like them a little?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, unfortunately, with most with most monstrous insects and other animals, they do play quite vital roles in our ecosystems. It's again we get the question a lot. You can we just eliminate whole species, and that's a bit of a tricky question to answer. Mosquitoes are great food sources for other insects, especially when they're breeding in the water bodies in the aquatic environment. There'll be plenty of other insects and animals that will predate mosquito larvae, like dragonflies, beetles, amphibians, fogs and toads, small fishes, birds, and bats will also eat adult mosquitos. They may also be quite substantial food resources for those types of insectivorous animals, so again we don't necessarily want to eliminate that food resource for them either. There's some data to suggest that mosquitoes may also pollinate flowers and different types of vegetation, especially male mosquitos, since they'll be sugar feeding predominantly and exclusively. Now, when we think of pollinators, we're usually thinking of bees those kinds of insects, but mosquitoes may also play a role in that. They're also a really good indicator of biodiversity and environmental changes as well. So that I mean, those are just my sort of in support of why we shouldn't necessarily want to be wanting to eliminate mosquitos entirely. But what right medical entomologists and public health professionals want to do is eliminate the diseases that they potentially transmit, or at least try to interrupt and safeguard human health from.
Speaker 2: That point of view.
Speaker 1: Right, So they have their place.
Speaker 4: They have their place, but we don't want that place to be in essentially the global burden of human disease.
Speaker 3: Right, right, And I don't I mean, I prove lots of defense against eliminating species of insects. For just as you're saying they have you know, they're little, you know, they harm usk. They're also a great pile of calories through their life form, so and you know we all need our calories. But I'm just wondering a little bit about the way that you study the populations of these insects. So I'm guessing you there's traps involved, But I wonder you're using things like DNA and all. I'm just fascinated by the ways you can sort of test an environment to see what's out there.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we use plenty of different types of surveillance techniques. It usually depends on what your research question is or what you're interested, essentially in investigating the kind of gold standard way to collect mosquitos, both here regionally as well as internationally, is using exactly that different types of traps, and these traps will target different parts of the We call it the gonotrophic life cycle. So essentially what that female or the male mosquitoes are up to. One of the gold standard types of traps comes from the CDC.
Speaker 2: It's a light trap.
Speaker 4: Essentially, it's a UV light that the mosquitos are attracted to and then a fan that essentially stops them. Once they've fly into the trap, they can't escape back out, and we'll hang that at the base of a bed that somebody's sleeping under, potentially indoors. Let's say in Sub Saharan Africa, that person will be sleeping under a bed net. They've got a light trap hanging at the foot of their bed. Mosquitos are hungry, She's trying to take a blood meal because she's starving and she needs that nutrients, and she will get potentially diverted into that trap, attracted by the light and then the smell that are emanating from the individual.
Speaker 2: Here in the.
Speaker 4: US, we may use gravit traps we may use traps that smell like an aquatic body that a mosquito may want to come and lay her eggs in, So she'll come in to try and lay her eggs in an artificial trap and again become unable to escape. But in places where we suspect when you may have invasive species, so species that may not necessarily be targeted by some of these traps. Most of the time these traps are optimized for different genre of mosquitoes, so maybe anop lees ulex or eighties or maybe even different types of species. But we can use environmental DNA. It's essentially like forensic science. It's sampling DNA from the soil from the water and then extracting any nucleic acid and using different molecular essays to try and detect new species of interest. We've been trying to pilot that here in Las Vegas, especially in relation to eighties agypty, which I told you has invaded quite recently. But there's also an invasive vector species in Africa called an off lea Stephen's eye that's invaded from India, and it's an urban vector, which the malaria vectors in Africa haven't historically been urban. They've been predominantly rural, and we're trying to use the same techniques to survey cities areas where people aren't usually at risk of that transmission, so they're at risk of quite severe disease. But again, we like the concept of doing that kind of environmental DNA sampling because you don't need to be a trained entomologist. I don't need to train you how to collect a fifty meal water sample. I can just give you a tube and ask you to please bring me a sample from your back garden. I don't need to teach you how to set a trap or how to identify a particular species of not just mosquitoes, but any other flying insects. So we think it's got real potential for citizen science and community type surveillance, which also then has the clateral benefit of raising mosquito awareness. Like I said here, the rhetoric I get is that we've never really had mosquitos.
Speaker 2: Why am I suddenly getting bitten this year? What can I do?
Speaker 4: We want the community to be asking those kind of thoughtful questions, and if we can get them engaged in sampling, engaged in what's happening in their own back gardens or communities. Then we can kind of tackle these diseases together us as the academics, and then also with the members of the community who are the most affected.
Speaker 1: Fantastic. Yeah, this is all so interesting. I've just got a little side question before we start to wrap things up. I'm pretty sure that sometimes I think I'm hearing mosquitoes. So maybe at night when the lights are out and I'm hearing a little buzzing sound. And I don't think we've covered this yet, but do mosquitoes actually buzz? Is there any way aside from feeling them on you to tell that they're around.
Speaker 4: They absolutely do buzz, And there are some other fine insects that we are also going to make a similar sound, But in all likelihood, if it's near your ear, it probably is.
Speaker 2: A mosquito that's trying to find a blood meal.
Speaker 4: So what happens is the mosquito so she's beating her wings at a particular frequency. And the way they mate is the mosquitoes the males will swarm, usually around lights in the kind of early dusk and early evening, and then a female will fly into the male swarm, and the males will recognize that she's a viable female of the same species as them by the sounds of.
Speaker 2: Her wing beat frequency.
Speaker 4: So different species will of mosquitoes will beat their wings at different frequencies, so then the males will know, Okay, that's the same species as me. Let's go mate, or no it's not. Let's ignore that and wait for another potential mate to fly into our swarm. And there's been some other academic groups that have been interested in developing apps for your phone where you can take a sound recording and then your mobile phone can potentially tell you ah, yeah, that was eighties a gypty or no, that was kudex quinkerphaciators that flew by again using our quiet advanced mobile phone technology that we have and our ability to record sound on our phones. So we're not working on that, but there are groups out there that are trying to do exactly that to understand how the mosquitoes sound to us and to one another.
Speaker 3: So it's like shazam, but it can let you know if somebody's walking like an egypty yep, I.
Speaker 1: Should have warned you about his parents. But Lois, your work is really interesting. Can you tell us a bit about what you're working on at the moment.
Speaker 4: Absolutely so, like I said, we try and mainly spend our time working on more creative ways to kill mosquitoes or at least to stop them from interacting with humans. That's what I always tell my students. I'm basically just really good at killing bugs. That's my whole career. At the moment, we're trying to We've have a really unprecedented amount of West Nile here in the Las Vegas area, which has never happened here before, so we are quite concerned about the risk for increased human transmission. So we've got several projects in our laboratory at the moment. We do a lot of whole genome sequencing to try and understand the genetics of the mosquito and then the genetics of the pathogen that they transmit, so we can track where are these coming from, Where are mosquitoes moving around, how are they moving around? Are there any environmental or ecological risk factors? And with things like West Nile, is it invading every year from say Arizona that does have quite a significant problem nearby, or do we have endemic populations of the virus here in Las Vegas. As soon as we can kind of get a better handle on how things are spreading and how we can predict where they're going to spread. That then off opportunities for control and targeted control measures. So that's some of the work that we're doing here in Vegas, as well as also testing our populations for resistance to insecticides because we may want to start doing some chemical control.
Speaker 2: We are doing some of that environmental DNA monitoring, trying.
Speaker 4: To test these tools out and engage our citizens in some science activities. But we also have some projects over in Sub Saharan Africa because, as I said, malaria is such a significant problem there and we're currently supposed to be eliminating malaria by the year twenty thirty and we're eighty nine percent off track in terms of the technical strategic goals set by the World Health Organization. And one of the main problems that we have is that our mosquitoes, at least in Africa are very intensely resistant to the chemicals that we can use in bed nets and for public health there. So we participate in lots of clinical trials that are testing new types of bed nets, new different insecticides, different modalities for deploying these chemicals in communities because.
Speaker 2: As I said, malaria.
Speaker 4: In the last sort of thirty one minutes since we've started talking, thirty one individuals will have died from malaria. It's such an egregious public health problem, and so we spend a lot of our time also trying to support research activities out there too.
Speaker 3: I thank you for doing this work because it's very important. It is so important, and it affects everybody. I mean, I remember as a kid learning that they have mosquitos in Alaska and thinking, oh no, It's like, how can they have them out there? But I guess it gets hotter there. Yeah, they are little nightmares. But thank you for taking the time to talk to us about this today. I thank you for the important work you're doing. If people want to learn more about these programs, is there a particular website or location you'd like to refer people to.
Speaker 4: I can give you our lab website, maybe you can include it in the podcast information and then anyone who's like, we really need anyone who's interested in this kind of area. You don't need to love bugs, you don't even need to touch or handle insects, which a lot of my students don't want to go anywhere near them, But we need everybody to fight against spectavorn diseases. You know, maybe you want to look at it from the disease surveillance point of view, or maybe clinical diagnostics. Maybe you want to work in the communities understanding the populations. There are so many different roles and important data that we need to be collecting to essentially work towards the control and elimination of these diseases. You don't need to just play with insects all day long like I do. But there's a role for anyone who's potentially interested in this kind of field, So please reach out to us. We'd love to talk to anybody who's interested.
Speaker 3: Fantastic We will definitely check the show notes. There will be links there for all of that. Now, I believe Karen warned you that we like to finish up our first interviews with folks with a signature question. And this could be whatever you want it to be, but what is your favorite monster?
Speaker 4: So as a medical entomologist, I feel like I would be really remiss if my favorite monster wasn't the Legend of the Mothman.
Speaker 2: You know, the America.
Speaker 3: Yes, nice, I mean, come on, it's.
Speaker 4: A moth right perfect. So I grew up in the UK and I had never heard about this. I mean you can tell that probably for my accent, but I had never heard about this until quite recently when I was listening to I think another podcast more of like a murder true crime type podcast, and they told the story the Legend of the Mothman from Point Pleasant, West Virginia, and it was a comedy. It was very funny the way they presented this. But I think what amused me the most was this large sort of black, seven foot tall creature with glowing red eyes that would just scream at cars first thing in the morning, and it just reminded me of.
Speaker 5: What I think I probably said in the morning, boy I've had my coffee, and I just enjoyed that kind of mystery of it being a harbor bringer of doom and a warning omen as a gigantic insect.
Speaker 2: So I think for me that's probably my favorite monster.
Speaker 1: Very suitable it is.
Speaker 3: I like hearing that too, because you know, we tend to go really deep on all of this stuff, you know, learning about the historical context, but these stories evolve over time and so you know, as someone who comes into this material fresh. I love hearing how it's coming to you, like are you getting it through podcasts or movies or you know, radio or whatever, and how it's how it varies over time. It's just fascinating to me because I think these stories sort of evolved in the same way species evolve. You just never know what's going to come out the other end as fascinating.
Speaker 1: So yeah, well, thank you so much for your time, the ways that this is just all fascinating, and just a lot of things that I haven't known, haven't thought about either.
Speaker 3: Yeah, raising awareness.
Speaker 2: So thank you so much for the invitation. Guys, this has been great.
Speaker 1: I'm glad I found you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, fantastic, all right, and good luck out there in Vegas. That's a damnly joke. You take care, Bye bye, thank.
Speaker 1: You, have a good day. Byebye bye.
Speaker 3: Monster You've been listening to Monster Talk, the science show about monsters. I'm Blake Smith and I'm Karen Stolsner. You just heard an interview with mosquito expert doctor Louisa Messenger discussing the dangers of mosquito born diseases and the myths and facts of mosquito management. Check our show notes for links to her research and the photos that she kindly provided us. Around the world, people report monsters, but are they real? Join the Detective of the impossible Joe Nickel as he walks you through investigations to reveal often surprising natural explanations behind some of the most famous cryptids and legendary animals ever reported. Using scientific skepticism, meticulous field work in historical deep dives, Joe Nichols seeks out hidden clues and real world candidates that sometimes reveal that even the most unlikely monster stories may have a basis in reality. The Science of Monsters is the first book from Monsterhouse LLC, the publisher of science shows, Monster Talk, and in research of The revised edition is now on sale and includes corrections and suggestions from you, our listeners and now readers. Sales of The Science of Monsters directly benefits Monster House and its podcasts thanks to the generosity of its author. Pick up The Revised Science of Monsters today at Amazon dot com, available in paperback and kindle editions. Monster Talk theme music is by Pete Stealing Monkeys. Stay cool, stay safe, and watch out for those six legged vampires.
Speaker 2: This has been a Monster House presentation