Speaker 1: In the world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's balls and teas, your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of diveds, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: All right, ladies and gentlemen, it is the one and only Tony Town the Ball with a lot of player. I am a classic men. As you know, it is another Wednesday evening and men and man are so excited to be here with you. Guys today it is going to be a heated, heated, heated show. So I hope that your refrigerators are on and that you have some eyes, because you will definitely need eyes cold glasses of water. What we're about to do today is very epic, and I'll be joined by a lady who does not need any form of introduction. She has been doing golf all her life and she'll be sharing a lot of tips with us. She'll be letting us know what's happening in her space. So ladies and gentlemen, if it's your first time joining us today, please make sure that you are seated. There's no disturbances because you don't want to miss anything. And for those who have been following us from the get go, I just want to say thank you, thank you for your ongoing support, and please bring more and more other people to the show. So, ladies and gentlemen, as I said, let's go for two minutes break, get yourself refreshed. Make sure that you've got a two little jack of ice eyes cold water and put it there, because once I start check into our guest today, you will definitely understand why you'll be sweating. I'll be sweating, but we'll be sweating because we're excited to get into the conversation. So let's go for the two minutes, and then when we'll come back, we'll get into the head of things.
Speaker 1: In the world where fairways meet the airwaves, where Bertie's and Banker collide. Welcome to the show that takes you beyond the clubhouse and onto the green. There's balls and t's your passport to the golfing universe, where every swing tells the story and every part has its punchline. Get ready to step onto the large screens and dive into the world of diveds, drives and delightful better.
Speaker 2: Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for staying tuned. As you know, it is the one and only Tony Tone the Magician. There is only one magician when it comes to and that is the Balls and Tease Megician. Listen, ladies and gentlemen, this is the hardest podcast, as you know, when we talk about God, we're talking about balls and teas. I promised you an extremely extremely heated show. I promised you fire, I promised you flames, and you will understand why. When I introduced our guests for today, please allow me to introduce none but the only Heidi Shannock. Hello, Heidi, good morning. How do you do today?
Speaker 3: Funny you, Tony?
Speaker 2: Oh good, thank you. Heidi. You know I tried to introduce you, but I think I was short of drum rolls. I was short of an on call, you know. So perhaps if you can reintroduce yourself and allow our guests or our audiences to actually understand who Heidi is, how the how you come across golf and what's happening in your space at the moment.
Speaker 3: Okay, So I am the lady captain of Lake Club Benoni. I've been playing golf for nine years. I'm part of the Exco committee at the club and I'm the league captain as well for the ladies league at the club.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm. So sure, how do you do all those tasks?
Speaker 3: Well, we we actually do it out of out of love. And I only started playing golf nine years ago. I've always been on the golf course. My parents were both good golfers, but also captains of previous clubs. They were both captains of Royal Oak, which then was called John Foster Golf Club in Blackpan m h and I had no interest in playing golf because we were there every weekend and you know, when you're young, it's not so much fun going with your appearance. Yeah, just such a nothing. But then later in love, I met ma fiance who is a great golfer. He's a one handicap is he's an interprovincial player for Ikulini and he he got me to golf and I have become mad about golf. I absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, it's quite interesting that you you didn't want to play golf for the most of time, and uh, your your your room. You came through and he swept you off your feet and you're like, okay, I'm going into this now.
Speaker 3: And that's that Romeo. He got a hole in one at a golf club. And then when I was playing on the same day, I was on the course and when I came in on the eighteenth hole, he proposed to me on the eighteenth green in front of the whole club. So yes, that's what we got engaged.
Speaker 2: At any point in time, you were to say that you're leaving golf, Heidi, I will personally come and look for you and say, no, ways, you are married to golf.
Speaker 3: It's not definitely am I love the sport. I absolutely loved the sport, and I just wish I started earlier.
Speaker 2: But now let let let's talk about the only club, all right. So, I mean you started playing nine years ago, as you mentioned, and I just want to get an understanding of your typical golf day at Benoni Lake Club. How does it look.
Speaker 3: Like Lake Club? BERNONI was my first club I ever joined, and I've only been a member at Lake Club. So I'm a down route lake club girl. Everybody there's family, We absolutely love the club. So because I'm a lady captain, I'm usually the early an hour before. There's quite a lot of admin that I have to do. We organized the ladies cards, I check their handicaps, so there is a bit of edmin to do. We have a little meeting with all the girls. We have a meeting at a half for seven and then the tea box, the tenth tea box is for ladies only from eight o'clock. So we have a great group of girls. And we have a competition every Saturday, so the every Saturday morning early and if we go, you know, We've got a routine every Saturday, and that's what we do.
Speaker 2: Oh lovely, lovely. Now, I just want to find out, I mean, if you're if you're there every single Saturday, and like you said, it's a competition, how many of those have you actually got in the bag thus far?
Speaker 3: Well, this past weekend I won the one like funnel and I think yes, and the weekend before I won the medal finels, So yes, I've won quite a few competitions. The medal final is the second time I've done it, and I've also won the individual knockouts at the club, so yeah, we all get a tune to win a competition. It's not just a few so.
Speaker 2: We have that's fantastic. Now, uh huh.
Speaker 3: We have a competition every Saturday. It is organized before on the Monday. Our ladies know what competition it is on a Saturday, whether it's Better Ball, Metal, Full Ball Alliance or RPS, so we mix it up to make it exciting for the girls. And yeah, we have a competition every Saturday.
Speaker 2: Now. I just want to find out, I mean, as everybody knows out there, whether golfers or non golfers, the sport itself has been dominated by male figures for a very very long time. Now, as a captain of the Ladies Club, I just want to find out what challenges have you come across thus far and what interesting things have you seen thus far since you started playing golf compared to back then before you started playing golf, to say, okay, what has evolved in the space between males and females.
Speaker 3: Traditionally at our club, the ladies were only allowed to play in the afternoon, and that also worked out for juniors. We have free golf for juniors on a Saturday afternoon, so the ladies were only allowed to play in the afternoons, and that it really didn't work out for us because you could go you couldn't go for breakfast before golf in the afternoon, but if you played in the morning, you could actually go for luncheon off the afternoon, so your afternoon was open. And I got to the club one day and I said, right, we are moving our ladies to the morning. And we didn't really have a pushback from the club or the men. Yeah, but we are much loved at the club. The ladies are loved at the club, so it wasn't a problem. It was just moving with the times and we moved forward to the morning field. No.
Speaker 2: And then this is something that I actually wanted to ask earlier, and it's regarding the successes you've had on the golf course. Right, of all the competitions that you played in, what has been the most memorable for you?
Speaker 3: Normally play the Eulogy Open and Close, which is held at Glendower Golf Course, a beautiful golf course, well looked after, top class golf course. I could say I could say that's memorable playing in that competition. It's a two day competition. I get to play with ladies from all over the country and I get to meet the most interesting people. I think that's a memory. My big, big memory for myself was playing Leopard Creek. I was very fortunate to play there and it was a bucket list an absolute bucket list course, mark the top, the top, top course that I wanted to play was Leopard Creek.
Speaker 2: Yeah, awesome, No, no, you know, I'm so fascinated in understanding your golfing game and how you actually navigate on the golf course, how you feel about your game, So please part of my questions. But I'm just interested to understand. I mean, if you had a theme song or your golf game had a theme song, what song do you think you'd actually attached to it to say, Okay, now this is this is me, this defines me, and this defines my game.
Speaker 3: I would say, girls just want to have fun, because that's exactly what it is. We all have fun on a Saturday. Although we very competitive. I would say, girls just want to have fun. You've got to see the brass golf as well. Golf can be very tasting, but that's what brings us back every Saturday.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then with that in mind, obviously having fun comes with its own ups and downs, highlights and the low fies. So in that moment while you're playing all since you've been playing, what is the most hilarious bread shot you've ever witnessed, Whether it's by yourself or anyone that you're playing.
Speaker 3: With, it's anybody that falls in the water when they're trying to hit a ball on the side of the damn it lake. I've seen it. People try. You say, rather just take a drop, and they're like, no, I can do it, I can do it, and then you will see them fall in. So that's definitely. Yeah, we laugh a lot, laugh a lot about it.
Speaker 2: And you know what said, I mean in instances like that, the first shot, someone falls in the water and then you say, okay, drop the like no, no, no, no. As I hit from the same spot again, they drop on the same spot. Yeah, they go in the second time, third time, they just get angry and then they move on.
Speaker 3: Exactly instead of taking they made us soon the first time.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Now, if if you were to have any superpower right on the golf course, what what do you think it would be? What would you go for?
Speaker 3: A long drive? Definitely, a long drop, A battle with that. Yes, if I could hit my driva and another one hundred meters, I would be a very happy lady.
Speaker 2: You'll be shooting on the partner.
Speaker 3: Oh, yes, that's the idea.
Speaker 2: Definitely. And then now let's talk about your preparation before the game. You mentioned that you get to the cost earlier because you have to do a mean and all those things. But looking at your overall golf back right, certain players would like to have a bottle of water, power raid, some snacks, whatsoever before they get into the court. What would you say your most ideal or your super snack on the course will be.
Speaker 3: I'm a coffee girl. I'll get a cappuccino from Joe's halfway House every Saturday, and I have a bottle of water. I'm going a court some my coffee. I fits easily in the court with a bottle of water. That's my go to. If I'm stressed, I'll still order another coffee. I don't drink on the course. I'll have a drink afterwards, but I don't drink at all on the course.
Speaker 2: And then when we look into your golf back, what one club can you not play without?
Speaker 3: It's probably the most difficult club in a lady's bag. But that's my three wood. My three wood is my go to club. When I when I started playing golf, I couldn't use it. I just couldn't hit that club. And my fiance I said to me, if you don't hit this club, you will never get to the green. And I persisted and persisted and persisted, and now I hits it like a champ. And it was the best thing that I've ever done. Is perfected that three wood. I absolutely loved that club.
Speaker 2: And then now now, now let's talk about the golf a tire. I've had instances where people even tigglewoods is one of the examples that we can use. So whenever he was playing the Masters, he would wear his red T shirt. Do you have a particular act of clothing to say these are my luky socks? Are likey shirt.
Speaker 4: I we went on holiday once and we went to Skakuza and we got out the car and we wanted to play golf, and I actually didn't have a golf shirt and I bought we bought shoots there so that we could play.
Speaker 3: And it was probably the most expensive round because the shirts were so expensive in the pro shop. And I absolutely love that Skakuza shirt. It's bright pink and I love it. But I have a lot of ladies' golf clothes, a lot of shirts. There's such a wide range of golf clothing out the Marylyn from Marylyn's Clothing, She's got a lovely, lovely shirts that all our ladies support too. And I bought quite a few shirts. We have a club shoots that we wear, league shirts that we wear, so it is. I've got a lot. But that brack pink shirt of money is that's my favorite. I'm trying to par it too often, but that is my favorite.
Speaker 2: I would say that, and I would think that every time you wore it, you you feel like nothing can stop you. You you just hit your balls straight and you continue to win. While we were in that pink golf sh yes, I think so mm hmm, no, awesome. Now I just want to ask you something. Obviously, you leave golf and there's all these challenges on the golf course. I had someone saying to that, you know what, golf is actually a spot for psychopaths because you go through a tumil of emotions on the course and then once you're done, it calls you again and says you can actually do better than you did the previous eighteen. Now I want to find out from you. For as much as you've got strong points on the golf course, what would you say is the most challenging aspect of your game?
Speaker 3: I think bunker play. All bunkers are different. Some have got a lot of sandings, some have no sanding. And challenging for me is definitely bunker play. The more I practice it on bunkers, the better I get, the more confidence I have, the easier it is for me to get out of a bunker. But if I play a different course and I get stuck in a bunker, that just I'll just lose small my confidence. So I think practicing bunker player is very important, but it is a challenge for me because you can get stuck in a.
Speaker 2: Bunker and to be to be quite honest, I think that's a lot of people's nemesis because you do get those pot bunkers where you literally can't get the ball out no matter what you do, it just goes up and beg it.
Speaker 3: And I've experienced that many a time. Maybe Botsy and we play that course often and their bankers are quite difficult.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know when you're talking about when you're talking about bunkers, and like you said, you play quite a bit at So I want to bring in something that I've heard from one of the pros. He said, you know what, meal preparation is always ideal when approaching certain courses, especially when you know that there's certain aspects of your game that you're struggling with. So he said he also has a problem with bankers, and when he gets into a course where there's like four bankers around the grillen, he knows it's going He automatically his mindseul in you know what, it's going to be a tough day, and he tries to escape those thoughts in any way possible. Now, do you also find yourself in spaces where if someone says, okay, let's go let's go play at a what's it? And you're like, oh my god, am I going back to those bankers? What am I going to do? How should I change my play? Do you go through those thoughts or do you do you just take it and be like, you know what, I will do my best when I get there.
Speaker 3: Well, not really, I love it botzy, so I'll normally play well on that course, So the bankers, if I get sucking a bankerd, is what it is, and I'll just move on. I don't tend to dwell on what's happened behind me, So if I've had a bad round Eddie Botsey, I just move on.
Speaker 2: And then now, now this is a golden key question and your your fiance will forgive me for asking this question. Right. If if you have any choice to play with anyone in the world, who would you choose?
Speaker 3: Who would I choose? Yeah, I'm a big I'm a very very big Target fan, so I think they would be on the top of my list. Definitely Target Woods. I'm big, big fan Gary Player. And then my life father, definitely my life for that. I would love to play around with him again.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: He was a great chopper. I'm following in his footsteps.
Speaker 2: Lovely.
Speaker 3: I've also got We've also got a bench on the fifth hole at Lake Club for him. I can go every Saturday and quickly have a quick chat with him. We put that bench on that whole because that's where he got his hourl in one. So yes, definitely my light.
Speaker 2: Dad, Lovely, lovely. And then if if anything, I mean, uh, if anything when it comes to to your to your game of golf. Right, if you were to compare it now to a movie, which movie would you say links up or matches his persona?
Speaker 3: I would I would say the good, the bad, and the ugly. Yeah, I would say that, because one day it's great, the next time it's bad, the next time it's so. And I mean that's as such as golfers. That's why we keep on coming back, because we know we can do better than really played last time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, no, no, I get that. I get that. I think I would go with I'd go with the metrics, and there is no yeah, there is not actually go with the tricks. Is that I lose quite a number of balls on the golf course. So every time you know, you know in the metrics that there's those alias that keep on popping out of noise. So that's basically what happens my my balls. Just I would say, Okay, it went straight to the fairway, and then when I get there, there's nothing, look in the rough, I can't find it. And then when I turn on the on the next hold, I would find it on the other fail.
Speaker 3: So you need you need a great caddy to help you find your balls.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right. And then another question that I have here, It's it's quite a silly question, but I think it makes sense. If your your golf clubs, right could say anything about you, What do you think the first thing that they would say about you? What do you think it would be?
Speaker 3: Probably shameless? Pollard is try and holds persistent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean, you know, you know what I'm asking this question. I'm actually also reflecting on myself to say, if my clubs were to say anything about me, jeez, I don't know, I really don't know. Maybe they would say, Okay, he can go straight, but he decides to shank all the time.
Speaker 3: Well exactly, yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: Not a problem. And then HAIDI we've reached the half way mark. Can we just go for too may break and then when we get back we will get into more questions. I'll make sure that they're not complex. I'll try to keep them as fine and light as possible. Okay, super, Thank you.
Speaker 5: Invisible Ink Consulting your gateway to financial Sie says we specialize in providing the best solutions to manage your finance and accounting, ensuring a better life for you and your business. Our expert team offers top notch accounting and tax consulting services tailored to various industries, including but not limited to engineering, medical practitioners, in construction, nonprofits, events management, attorneys in financial services.
Speaker 6: Experience the power of our best analytics, backed by a commitment to our clients in a high level of knowledge and Invisible Ink Consulting, we strive to deliver the best service you can get, making your financial journey seamless and rewarding. Choose Invisible Ink Consulting for a brighter financial future.
Speaker 5: Your success our priority. Please visit us at www dot Invisibleinc. Dot co, dot seta to reach us www dot invisiblelink, dot co, dot za.
Speaker 2: Commits. All right, gentlemen, welcome back to the second segment of our show. This is the one and only Tony Tone the Magician, and this is Bowls and Teas, the only relevant podcast when it comes to golf talk. And as you already know, ladies and gentlemen, I am joined by Heidi Shannack who is the captain for Benna Lake Club and this woman has been playing the best golf of her life for the past nine years since she started.
Speaker 3: Hidi, are you still with me, yes, Sir Anthony.
Speaker 2: One hundred Now, Hidi, as I said, second segment, it gets quite intense. I'm going to be asking the most complex questions and I'm going to put you on the spot many times, right, so please bear with me. Why not to be too hard, But it's going to be an easy cruise for you because I know you know your game. Right now, Heidi, here's my first question for the second segment. Right, if you were to play, or if you were to choose to play at any costs in the world, which one would be right at the top of your list? And why would you even consider that golf course?
Speaker 3: One hundred percent? August Augusta National one hundred percent, no doubt.
Speaker 2: Oh, I was hoping you were going to say something else that Augusta.
Speaker 3: No, definitely Augusta.
Speaker 2: Why specifically Augusta.
Speaker 3: Because it's inaccessible to normal golfers. All the leaders I play these steep traditions, Mom, I myself have Augusta week in our home. And yeah, it's just the prestigious of it, everything around it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I mean traditions and accessibility. Right now, let's let's let's go back to the essence of golf a lot of people would say that golf has a lot of etiquete. It's a very intrick spot. It's a very sophisticated spot. Now, we know, as golf us that there are rules and rules cannot be broken on the golf course, even if you're playing alone. If with that in mind, what would you say of all the rules that you've come across in the rules books, which one is the silliest? If I was to put it that way, to say, now, this rule is quite silly. It doesn't really make sense, or it doesn't really resonate with you that much, and if you had an opportunity to change, you would actually do it in the blink of an eye. Which of the rules do you think? I'm quite silly? To you?
Speaker 3: I'm a rules phonetic and often debased him with and I don't know, I'll go with the rules so and I'm also lady captain at the club, so I have to go with all all the rules. Which is the ruler? Don't look? Mm hmm, I'm not sure. Okay, I'll go. I'm a rules goal mm hmmm mm hmm.
Speaker 2: Now now I just want to find out. I mean, obviously, like you said, you started playing nine years ago, and you were introduced to the game by your fiance after many years where you didn't want to play the games while your parents are playing the game right now, for any woman out there who wants to start playing golf, what would you what would be your piece of advice to them to say to get into the game, this is what you think they should do or these are the approaches that they should take to actually get into the games.
Speaker 3: I would definitely go for golf lessons with a professional.
Speaker 2: Uh huh.
Speaker 3: I think golf lessons are important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all right, all right, that's fair. And uh we with that being said, uh, golf lessons. Obviously, as beginners, we like smashing the ball. I don't want to like, we really really like hearing the sound of a club or a driver when it makes contact with the ball. Do you think that there's any specific part of golf that as a beginner you should focus on before you move on to the other parts, you know?
Speaker 3: I see people go straight onto the golf course and it is so difficult for the player to be put in that position. They should be on the range for at least two months, going for a few lessons, and the lessons from a professional. I see people going the boyfriend is teaching them, and he's teaching them all the wrong stuff from the beginning. Yeah, so I would say definitely a professional. I got a world of gold. Go there for few lessons, go in practice, practice, practice, before you even get onto the golf course.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I would say that.
Speaker 2: Awesome. And then personally, your your favorite club just to relax and to have fun, not to play, because obviously, uh there's I would presume that there's a there's a favorite club when it comes to complexity, and there's a favorite club when it comes to easiness a play. So just to relax and have fun. Which one would you say is your most favorite club?
Speaker 3: Mm hmmm. I like the rescues. They are easy to hit. I've got to two small ones that I'm very fond of, and for Ladies. For Ladies as a very easy club to use. Mm hmmm. Yes, so the rescues are definite of them both and get you They easy to get in the a.
Speaker 2: Lovely you know, I've personally tried to play. I don't know, maybe it's just me and how I positioned my mind. But when it comes to woods, whether it's a three wood, a five wood, rescue club, hybrid irons, anything that has a bulky shape in my back, I try by all means to stay away from them. I don't know if it's just my mind, because I focus so much on the bulkiness, and I think that when I get back on my on my swing, I'll off that ball or I'll just heat into the ground and the ball won't have any flights. So I prefer like club slops. I've been playing with blades for over ten years, and I'm not actually supposed to play with blades, but for some reason, I found myself enjoying them more than anything. And I'm basically saying this course, I'm of the opinion that fitting club fitting is very important, especially for beginners. You you, you would you would know as someone who interacts with a lot of players, whether they've been playing for a very long time or a short while. What would you say is the right approach around fitting for someone who's just going into the game off better? Yet, the best approach to actually purchase a set of clubs would it be? Would you say maybe just going online or go into a specialist in that field to say, listen, I'm looking for this, this is who I am and I need something that's going to work with me. What would you say would be the best approach around it?
Speaker 3: Thank you? So very important and a good fitting for a lady is very important. I know a lot of ladies that supply with clubs. It's not for them. And as much as they say yes it's the career, it's not the correct clubs for them. Ladies are both differently. We should be using ladies clubs. So definitely are good footing and you can start off small. You know, for any golfer to go to the the pro shop, you can find a great set of clubs. But definitely you need to get the correct clubs for yourself. And I know a lot of ladies play with men's clubs and it's not the correct clubs for them.
Speaker 2: Awesome, awesome. Now with the next question, Heidi, you played with a lot of people right now. If there's any fun fact out there about your game that you believe nobody else knows about, what would you say is.
Speaker 3: I'm very competitive. I'm extremely competitive. When I started golf from my fiance I said to mean you're not competitive enough for the sport and is creative a monster out of me. So I love competitive golf. Yeah, I think, yes, I am very competitive.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm, you don't. You don't like losing at all?
Speaker 4: Ah?
Speaker 3: No, and and applay league, so that that makes it even racist. I do not like losing.
Speaker 2: At all, if you don't mind me asking, I mean, uh, you know when you say you're very competitive, and considering the number of times that you've mentioned you for on certain competitions, right, how fast was it for you to actually drop to a single handicap?
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm not a single handicap.
Speaker 2: I was hoping you are.
Speaker 3: No, I'm not. I'm a good twenty six. I'm a twenty six handicap, but it's not the same as the mean. But I'm a good twenty six. I play league for the club. But yes, no, I'm definitely not a single. I'm definitely not a single.
Speaker 2: But I was just pulling your name. You play league, you play competitions, but what's your How do you actually unwind after a crazy tournament or league game? How do you reflect and say, Okay, I did good, I did bad? And what precautions of steps do you take to actually address whatever might have happened throughout the day.
Speaker 3: We just go through it. At our club, we have a social event after golf on a Saturday and we sit around the ladies. We've got one of the biggest ladies groups in Iulini at Lake Club and then we all talk about it and have a few Gin and Tonic softwawards. Yeah, yeah, both golf and love you hate it. I love it most.
Speaker 2: I like the way you're saying golf is God because it's it's se so easy and it feels so easy when you play it because it doesn't require too much physicause straining. But at the same time, mentally it's a big challenge.
Speaker 3: I think. I think people can come onto the golf course and that can whatever has happened to them during the week or whatever's happening in their life just goes at the backack door. Golf can put your mind off a lot of stresses, and I can also cause you stress. But we love it. We love it at the end of the day. And it's for any age, so golf can start of you. We've got youngsters at our club, tony little kids playing and then we've got people in the eighties playing golf, So golfers for everyone.
Speaker 2: Oh now, let's go back to the Benoni's Ladies Club Lake Club. Right, how do do you guys have like certain criteria that you require in order for anyone to join the club, the Ladies Club or is it open to anyone who's interested in playing with you guys.
Speaker 3: Well, first of all you have to be a member at La Club Bononi and then have a handicap. Yeah, so yes, And then every Saturday we have tein tea. We've got a good following of ladies. We have about twenty plus ladies playing on a Saturday. We have a membership of over seventy ladies at our club. And yeah, we've got a good camaraderie of ladies. We have full league teams. We play Tuesday and Sunday league in two divisions. And we've got a set of ladies and they play also on a Tuesday at a club MHM. And they are much loved by the other members of the club. So the lady is full in everybody else. Yeah, every quarter we have three jackson a jaw and then the main members fart for the lady that they want in the in their football. And yeah, we get on well with the men at the club.
Speaker 2: Yeah. No, awesome. Awesome. Now I'm going to ask you questions about you and golf personally. Right to say, apart from the competition aspect of golf, what role would you say golf plays in your life personally in the sense that are there any teachings that you've actually gotten from golf since you started playing, whether it's values or belief systems or anything that has been instilled within you through.
Speaker 3: Golf my life for the one said to me, if you cheat at golf, you cheat at lab and if somebody catches you cheating, they will never forget that. So I'm an honest golfer. Don't you cheat? And and it's so true because if you can think of somebody that you've seen has did something wrong, you'll never forget that person and what they did. I play league. I play league for the club. You know, golf is a sport about integrity and anybody can play.
Speaker 2: M and if you were too, if I was to ask you, like, do you have any particular goals in golf apart from you being captain and playing in the league and competitions, is there any particular goal that you have in mind to say, this is where I want to see myself through golf or this is where I see my golf being at a particular point in time.
Speaker 3: I'd like to play for the senior national ladies team.
Speaker 2: M hmm.
Speaker 3: They have it every year. I'd love to play for that team once I've basically done everything that I'm supposed to be. I'd like to win club champs. I think that for any golfer would like to win their own club champs. I'd love to win club champs. One. I've won a lot of competitions at the club. I've won the medal finals, which is quite difficult. But club champs, I think that's on everybody's backet list. Two. One own club champs in their own division at least once.
Speaker 2: And I want to ask this question now, like if if you were to reflect right on yourself from the time that you are not playing golf till now, what would you say has changed a lot in terms of like you said, golf is as part of integrity, right, what would you say has changed a lot in terms of how you view things in general, whether it's in the professional space, whether it's in your private space. Has the perception of how you view things changed overall?
Speaker 3: The first the first two years of me playing golf was very difficult because golf is not a natural game. It's for a human and for me, it was very difficult stuck on a thirty six handicap for I think the first three years mm hmm. And then I just persistent and persisted and got more competitive. I think people need to play more competitive golf. But discipline is a big thing when you get to the golf course, go to the patting green, yeah, the drawing range. H yeah, definitely, yeah, that definitely discipline m hm.
Speaker 2: And if I'm as when you we're talking about discipline, obviously the format that you play in it's also part of the discipline of golf. Right, what would you say is your favorite format? Strop play, mesh play, oh.
Speaker 3: Match play, match play is mam. I am so competitive at league. Match play is mark is mar thing and I love it, absolutely love it. We are very fortunate.
Speaker 2: H You wouldn't substitute it for anything else there.
Speaker 3: No, I love match play. I absolutely love it. We play knockout at our clubs, so we play betterball knockout, we play individual knockout, and we play mixed knockout. And our love match play. Also with league league is also match plays, so I have a betable partner in that we play together definitely become a little tyrant. I love it, absolutely love it.
Speaker 2: Awesome stuff. And going back to the women's club at Lake Right, I mean, as the captain, do you have any place on how to grow the women's team day.
Speaker 3: Well, we have a development side at our club where we bring in about anything between ten and twenty children from Dayton on the weekend, they come and play at our club. They get a lunch, get to play that wasn't get to practice if they can't play a full round it they get to practice. And to see these children on a Saturday coming up the ranks, it's so rewarding, so so rewarding.
Speaker 2: That's one hundred percent. And you know, there's something I always say about golfers, to say that golfers have beautiful hearts. The reason I would say this is because we ask golf us we like people to experience what we experience on the golf course. We like people to go through what we go through on the golf course. And by so doing, we tend to extend our hands to say please come come, even if you don't know how to play, come and let me teach you. Although we're not professionals and we're not created to teach people, we just want to see more people getting into the game and going through what we experience. And I like what you're saying to say that you guys have a development side where you're bringing young people into the game and whether they play or they practice, you just want to see them experience what you have been experiencing the beautiful sports itself exactly.
Speaker 3: And if you Saturday, if you come to our club, you will see these children. These children at the club, the practice around the greens, they with their friends, they're out of the environment coming into the golfing environment and they're learning rules. It's just so lovely to see. And that's tiny little kids anything from six all the way up to eighteen years old.
Speaker 2: Oh that's great.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's great, and we just everybody loves them at the club.
Speaker 2: Now, my last question for you today before I'll let you go, Haidi, if you were to just say it from the top of your head, right, what would you say is the most rewarding part of leading the Ladies club or the Ladies team at Benoni Lake Club.
Speaker 3: First of all, I've got the best ladies on the instrum and in We've got such a great group of girls and it's been a privilege for me to be the lady captain. I've seen juniors grow, We have seen a senior ladies doing well. We had three senior ladies being chosen to play in the Senior Arputee this year. So yeah, we are just just seeing the sport grow and whether whether or not it's development children coming through the ranks, or juniors coming through the ranks, or even the seniors coming through the ranks. Golfers for everyone, and it's for every age and I've been privileged to see all that and work for the club through that. We all do this on a voluntary basis, you know, being on the committee it's all. I don't get paid. But if you have a question for golf and anything is possible.
Speaker 2: I just want to say something before before I let you go. I mean, like I said, because the sport was highly dominated by male figures and women leagues are now starting to emanate and a lot of women are also integrating within the social golf clubs that's established out there. I personally want to say this about the Benoni Lake Club women's team. All the best moving forward and please continue getting those trophies. If there's any other club outside that wants to challenge you guys, I'm sure they're in for a good run for that money.
Speaker 3: They're definitely different. Our lady is a very very competitive at our club, and that's great. We've been known for our competitiveness. We've won league's often. Last year we won a league. The year before we won three leagues, so we are very very competitive at our club. We also got the reigning blonde Lady Golfer, she's the world champion. She's a member at our club. H And we've yes, and we've got the youngsters, the juniors that play RPT, we've also got them.
Speaker 2: So we're very.
Speaker 3: Competitive and we're very proud of our girls at our club as well.
Speaker 2: Mum, hum I like hearing that, you know, if if if anything else, I was going to say, I wish I could join the ladies club, but I do not qualify.
Speaker 3: I think the men in our club also feel the time.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Haili, it's been lovely having you and I just have to say thank you so much for taking the time to chat with us and to everyone around you who's allowed you there's time to actually have a chat with us. I know there's other things that you're busy with, and it's always good to hear from someone who leads and women's golf team to say, guys, we are taking golf, and we are owning golf, and we are actually making sure that more and more women are getting involved in the sport and enjoying this spot. Because this spot, like you said, anyone can play no matter how young you are, how old you are, what sex you are. The lovely thing about the sport is that it does not choose. You just have to put your mind to it and get into the game. So I like what you're doing. I like what your team is doing overall, and like I said, continue getting those trophies. Next time I have a chat with you, I want to ask you, Hidi, which one did you be?
Speaker 3: Again?
Speaker 4: My gosh, Tony, thank you very much for having me on your show.
Speaker 2: No, it's it's an absolute pleasure, and I hope to chat to you in the near future.
Speaker 3: Okay, we sheldy all the best, Thank you, thanks so much, all right.
Speaker 2: Bye bye. All right, ladies and gentlemen, so that you have it. That's the end of our segment today, and I just want to say thank you, thank you, thank you for staying tuned in. As you know, Balls and Teas, it's not just your local podcast. We go international. We've got people listening to us in Russia, Indonesia, wherever you go America, we are there. So make sure that you keep on bringing more and more of your friends and families into the lovely sport of golf, because nothing is better than golf. Take it from me. I've been playing golf. I stopped playing golf, and I started playing golf again. So regardless what you do in life, this is one sport that you can always get back into. This is one sport that you can never retire. I always say to people the only time I will retire from golf is when I am part of the soil. So with that being said, ladies and gentlemen, I want to say I really really acknowledge and appreciate each and every single one of you who's been supporting us. Bows and Tees is going back to the visual podcast. If you haven't checked out our YouTube, make sure that you go to YouTube and you will see what I'm talking about, because you will find beautiful video from the likes of Dylan I Do, who's just won the SA Open. We had a great time with him. He was telling us about what's seeing his back and what ball he used to win. And then we also have a professional PG credited coach who's sharing tips about golf. So please make sure that you go onto our YouTube, subscribe, photo share, you know, do the likes of it so that you do not miss out on anything that has to do with golf. With that being said, ladies and gentlemen, I have to say, tomorrow is officially my weekend, not our weekend. So if you're waking tomorrow, listen all the best and I wish that you do the absolute best that you can do at your job. But if you're waking on Friday, mate, you just have to give me a call and I will do what I have to do, which che is to help you make sure that you spend your time on the golf course and enjoy doing things that you love doing, which is playing golf, bringing more players, bringing more followers, bring in more people who actually support the spot. With that being said, Tony Town the Magician is signing out to a magician