Speaker 1: Good morning, Kentucky, Anda, and welcome in Kentucky. Anda is Morning News with Nick Coffee here on News Radio eight forty whas we've got the full crew here and we've got a lot to get into. This is this is the third week therefore, this is my third Monday on the job here, and uh, i'd say this is as busy as we've been to start the week in my early tenure here. Certainly a lot to react to and a lot to share with you, and we'll keep you keep you informed as best we can from now until we hand it off to Tony and Dwight coming up at nine o'clock, which is four hours away. So strap in. It is five oh six. We are four minutes away from your first traffic update. Within the show. Also we get an update on weather and also a lot to get to when it comes to sports today, as Louisville Baseball, they've they've managed to survive another day. We can certainly talk about that. I feel as if my pacers, I feel like they might have let that series slip through their hands on Friday night. I hope I'm wrong, but that felt substantial. But I say we started just addressing the big story from Friday evening Saturday morning, I suppose, and that is where we have another tragic situation here in America where a gunman is accused of killing a Minnesota representative. And I guess this is actually news probably for those that might have called it an early night yesterday, because this happened late Sunday evening. They did, in fact arrest this suspect, Vance Bolter, was captured last night near his farm in green Isle, Minnesota, and huge search of course that took place over the entire weekend because of the two separate shootings that left one Minnesota lawmaker dead another badly hurt, and they were able to pick up I guess a motion triggered trail camera that was spotted near his property and officers were able to close in on him, and he's charged with killing State Representative Melissa Hortman, her husband Mark, and also another violent attack that has not taken the lives of these two individuals, but State Senator John Hoffman in it wife Yvett, were wounded. So obviously, well we'll give you the latest on that as best we can. Rory O'Neil's going to join us at about five forty five we'll see what he can tell us. As far as motive, I think there's there's certainly some noise out there. As far as what might have led someone, well, there's really no way to there's no way to explain in any way rational as to why you would do something just so heinous like this. But I guess we'll let you know what was going on upstairs as best we know with this person who committed you know, such a such a heinous act. So again we'll talk about that coming up here with Rory O'Neil about five forty five, also here in Louisville. I did my best to look around elsewhere to see just visually as far as a comparison, but an estimated of about four thousand people were in downtown Louisville on Saturday for the No Kings protests, and the visual made it look as if it was just like something we've never seen before. And I guess it really just depends on view and whatnot. Other cities, of course, had big turnouts as well, But regardless, I guess if what you feel about these protests or what you think, maybe you agree with those that are out there expressing what they want to express or maybe you strongly disagree. Can we all agree though, that it's good to know that no arrests were made and it was with that, I feel like it was clearly peaceful. And I mean, when you have nobody actually arrested, no crime committed throughout this thing as far as law enforcement's concerned, that's a positive, right. I mean, that's that's I guess, you know, dare I say best case scenario? I mean, I'll admit maybe I shouldn't say this. Maybe this is just you know, me being a pessimist here, But Scott, would you have been shocked if we come in today reacting to the weekends protests and there would have been arrests? I could well, I just assume there would be at least a few, just because the nature of what typically happens when. And that's not to say that everybody out there's going to be causing ruckus and wanting to do it unpeacefully, but I feel like that's a win win absolutely.
Speaker 2: I was scrolling social media yesterday morning over my coffee and some of our own station social media, getting a vibe on what people were saying. I saw some very disturbing posts and I'll tell you off the air one that I saw, and I don't think it was on I don't think it was on our station page. It was someone I saw who had friended me a long, long, long, long time ago. I don't even know him personally, but from.
Speaker 1: What I started second, I thought you were talking about somebody we worked with them. No, no, no, no.
Speaker 2: I was just trying to get a vibe on how people felt about this, and it seemed fifty to fifty down the road. But after reading some of what I read to your point, I hands down thought we'd see some arrests. Yeah, and I think you know, I've tipped my hat to the city. This is outstanding. You know, LNPD was all hands on deck. You know, the dads that were on hands on deck on Father's Day had to work. I'm sure they had plans, oh Father's Day. They had to work. But everybody maintained and everybody kept their own And that seems to be what's happening around the nation. But the protests are growing, as we talked about on this show, and they will continue to grow. And that's just everybody's right here in America to express their displeasure with what they see and if you go back to the beginnings of America, that's how we got this whole thing started.
Speaker 1: And by the way, speaking of the protest, it's those that are against ICE. Obviously they are not on board with Donald Trump's plan for immigration. There's actually been something that's changed over the weekend as far as I guess, the instructions that ICE has and we'll talk about that in just a few minutes. Your next update of traffic and weather is coming up right here, right now. It is five to eleven on News Radio eight forty whas. That's right, it is a Monday here at news Radio eight forty whas Kentucky and his Morning News with Nick Coffee, and we've got your first news update coming up in about let's say, five seconds away from fourteen minutes away. And I'll ask this to the young Joe Lincoln next time I pop out in the hallway, and I hope he'll give me an honest answer. I used to do this whenever I was on sports on the mornings from seven to ten, when I thought that was early. This is this is actually early. That wasn't really that early. But whenever we would have someone have to come in and fill in as the producer because of I don't know, the last minute calling, sick, things happen or whatever. When you get that call that you have to get up really early and you're not expecting it, like I just I want I want to I want to live in a world where we're all honest with each other. Like you can tell us, Joe Lincoln, if you are currently resenting us because you got a call last night at eleven o'clock in the morning being asked if you could come in and work the shift that starts at five am. In fact, he's here long before five am to get things ready. So Joe Lincoln, Uh, it's my first time working with him, and it's an honor because he's he's a true pro. But if he does feel a little resentment towards us because he wasn't expecting to be waking up as early as he did today, I totally get it. It's one thing if you know, it's the thing if you just find out. Okay, now, I guess I'll go ahead and try to force myself to go to bed because I got to be up in a few hours.
Speaker 2: Well, what used to happen when I worked this show, And like Dave Jennings was producing, or Tony and Dwight, or at the time, Mandy Connell and Dave would be you get that call he's like stuck in traffic and he's not getting here anytime soon, or he's sick, and Mandy said it best she goes you feel like that kid that actually has to stay after that got called into detention afterwards, and you got to stick around.
Speaker 1: Sure, yeah, places to be.
Speaker 2: So I wonder if Joe feels.
Speaker 1: Out he thought you were. You thought you'd clocked out, You thought the bell rang for the day, and then you got to stay after or you know, clean the chalkboard or something.
Speaker 2: When you know you're supposed to punch out at a certain time and the boss comes up to and goes, hey, by the way, can we get this done real quick before you leave, And you know there's no way you're getting that done before you leave.
Speaker 3: Yep.
Speaker 1: So John Shannon, I believe he's a little bit under the weather. Hopefully he feels better, but look it's okay. We go to the bullpen, we bring in Joe Lincoln and we're we're in good shape. So he'll have his first news update coming for you guys. At around five thirty. So here's the latest on the the ice raids that are going on across the country. So the ICE agents has been ordered to stop making immigration rests at farms, restaurants and hotels mid worries. The crackdown is squeezing industries that rely heavily on migrant labor. So this is not really surprising because that makes sense. However, I think when you're doing something like ice raids and deporting people who are here illegally, that don't you need to be consistent, Like doesn't it need to be really regardless of what it is in fact you are doing. I mean, again, I'm not advocating that they just throw everybody out at one time, regardless and ask no questions. That's not all what I'm saying. But you know, I think before any of this started, weren't we all aware that, you know, we have industries like farms, restaurants and hotels that do, in fact rely heavily on migrant labor. So that's I suppose that's great news for a lot of folks that are very much against this in every way, and maybe you know, it's one of those things that you really you don't until you've been in certain positions, you don't really you can't relate. But if you had somebody that you worked with that you maybe knew or thought was here illegally, that works in one of those industries, and you know, I'm sure there's there's probably sweating bullets, to be honest with you. So that with that being such a big talking point in the last really the last week or so, it's really really ramped up as far as just the protest going on across the country because again there are many that are against what ICE has been tasked to do, which is to get people out of this country that are here illegally. But again, that is that's from over the weekend and I don't think it got lost in the news by any means, but there's certainly a lot going on to where maybe you weren't aware of that, but that was something that came down, I believe, on Friday evening that ICE has been ordered to stop making immigration rests at farms, restaurants and hotels. So that, again, I think that's rather substantial given the whole given what's going on the last the last week or so. All right, real quick, Scott, you said something a moment ago, and it reminded me of what I talked to John about right before the show started, because you mentioned something that you saw a post on social media rather than Facebook or whatnot, and when I was and I hate to keep tracking it back to my days in sports, but with social media being what it is now, you really need to make sure when you see a post that it is legitimately coming from the source that it is that it appears to be right. Like you can easily change your avatar picture on social media, you can change your name, and because now the blue check system on x is simply a subscription and not a verification, you can easily just be duped. So in sports like that happens, and it's like kind of a kind of a rib like haha, you got got. But I've now learned in the last couple of weeks that when it comes to you know, you know, news, politics, that kind of stuff, it's more rampant than ever as far as just things that appeal like it seems like it's legit, but I don't know should I believe it? Like I've never been more all right, I gotta I gotta vet this, not like I'm doing investigator reporting on my end, but like I gotta check and make sure this is actually a real thing, because it's like it's own world within social media to just completely put up out fake stuff. It's like it's its own niche. Now it's crazy, So you got to be careful, all right. Another update of trafficking weather coming your way. In a first update of sports with Scott right here on news RADIOA forty whs. Thank you Joe. It is five to thirty five here Kinsucky had his morning news with Nick Coffee on news Radio eight forty whas. Getting the week started here on a Monday. Hopefully you guys had a good weekend. Guys and gals, I should say, I think you know what I mean, But hey, guys, gals, whatever in between. Hopefully you enjoyed yourself this weekend. Hopefully everybody had a good Father's Day. It was it was muggy. I'm sticky outside man. Had a good time at the at Churchill Downs yesterday. We did win a couple of races, well my son did. I just went out, had a good time, had a few beers and let the kids pick horses. I didn't I would have just been donating more money to Churchill Downs. I've already donated enough to them over the years, so we ended up probably leaving with maybe I don't know, five bucks ahead because my son has a gift. I don't know where he gets it. Certainly doesn't get it for me. But he's pretty good at picking horse good. It's really just luck. He just looks at the either sees one that's about to, you know, get in its post, or one that's you know, nearing the track before they get long before they actually get in the post. Or he'll just look at the program and point his finger and say he wants that one. And that's that's as effective, in fact, it's more effective than if I try to actually look at what's out there and make a wager myself.
Speaker 2: Do you do well in bracketology? Do you do well there?
Speaker 1: I really in the last few years have not emphasized brackets much, just because I'm so much into betting on the games, right, But I do pretty well in brackets. When it comes to the very late in the late like lead eight, final four, I'm usually pretty pretty sharp. However, when it comes to the first round, second round, even sweet sixteen, at times I can't predict the upsets meeting the ones that do happen, and there's oftentimes upsets that I suspect will happen and they don't, So I'm not great at it. Again. It's just it's fun. It's entertainment. But when I win, when it comes to sports beat, which does happen from time to time, I just remind myself quickly it's luck. Because the second you start thinking you've got you've got an edge, you've got one over on the books. That's that's where maybe it gets a little bit out of hand for some folks. But yeah, it was. It was. It was a good Sunday. Do you you have a good Sunday yourself?
Speaker 2: Outstanding, dude. I'm staying great weekend. Sun couldn't come home this weekend, but he's coming home next weekend. He was working the Savannah Banana's game at Great American Ballpark.
Speaker 1: But that was awesome, dude.
Speaker 2: He said, that is off the chain. You know, they said the record they one hundred and forty eight thousand in Carolina.
Speaker 1: They they you know, I'm this is this is not in any way a factor a stat but like if somebody told me put it this way, if somebody told me the only thing that is close to uh reaching the crowd you see at at Taylor Swift concert was the Savannah Bananas. I believe it. Yeah, I mean follow their CEO on TikTok.
Speaker 2: Dude, he is umer motivational because everyone in under the Sun told him this is.
Speaker 1: They do a great job of making it relatable like like he see like you can tell, well, he's somebody that had an idea. He's pretty down to earth and now it's the biggest thing going it is. How about John, how about you? That was your first Father's Day.
Speaker 4: It was a very enjoyable, like you said earlier, muggy father's day. But it's nice to be, you know, honored as a dad. Even though yeah time a few months now, I had a good day.
Speaker 1: Good and and John told me before we started the show that he's feeling good as far as rest and outlook. I get motivated on a Monday when I hear that John Alden's coming in well rested, ready to go, because you know, being a new dad with a newborn baby at home, you just never know when you're gonna get those days. So we need to we need we need to take advantage of getting energized John Alden.
Speaker 4: With, Hey, we've adjusted the sleeping slash feeding schedule for the baby, so I'm hoping this is more than just a one day thing. I'm going pretty good today.
Speaker 2: So John, how does that change? Your wife is a teacher, So how does that change for you all? Have you talked about it when she goes back to school?
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, in terms of the feeding, I'm not too sure. But whenever she whenever she goes back in early to mid August, she's going to wake up with the baby, whenever she would normally get up, She'll take the baby too, will be my in laws, and then I'll pick up the baby whenever I get off here at twelve o'clock. Wow, well, my system.
Speaker 1: I think this goes for just about everything in life, but certainly parenting a newborn baby. Schedule, routine, structure, keeping keeping things in line, that can go a long way. And you really, well, just from my experience, we really didn't. We didn't realize that as parents of a newborn baby until we, without really trying, had developed into a pretty consistent routine. And then when things were off of the routine, our baby who's now not a baby anymore, she's older, she's nine. She let us know that she wasn't feeling it. Let's go back to the you know, she needs to be on schedule, routine, that kind of stuff. So good stuff, Happy Father's Day, everybody belated, of course, hopefully the weekend was good to you and Father's Day was good as well. All Right, we've got an update of traffic and weather coming your way. Also, we'll talk with Rory O'Neil of NBC News and get the latest on the assassination that took place over the weekend of a Minnesota state representative. And also we've got another sports of it coming your way in the next fifteen minutes. So stick around right here. It's five forty a Kentucky, and it's Morning News on news Radio eight forty whas. It is five forty five here, Kentucky in its Morning News with Nick Coffee on News Radio eight forty whas. Let's bring in Rory O'Neal of NBC News. Rory, obviously, a tragic situation over the weekend that took place in Minnesota. Before we get into potential motive, and I guess moving forward, what's to be expected, Let's back up to the start of this entire situation. So the suspect who has now since been captured, tell me what you know as far as him showing up appearing to be a legitimate law enforcement officer, not only with uniform but with a vehicle.
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What do we know about that?
Speaker 3: Right? We know that this suspect, this fifty seven year old, was apparently trying to start a security company and that maybe as part of that he had these uniforms. He had the Ford SUV that looked like a police car, even equipped with the police lights. Apparently he went to the home of the state senator and his wife shot them both, then drove about ten miles to a second home that belonged to the former Speaker of the house to still a state representative, and her husband shot and killed both of them, and then there was a confrontation with police, but it was able to run from the scene. Not exactly sure though how what other vehicle he picked up or bicycle or what it may have been. But then he was ultimately captured after a two day manhunt last night.
Speaker 1: So the reports are that the motive is due to those the support for abortion rights. Is that accurate.
Speaker 3: That maybe one of them. You know, we're not I don't think we're definitively there yet. He did have there calling it a manifesto, but we know that he had strong anti abortion use. But you know, even his friends, he had two homes, one with a wife and then the other he would stay with friends that was closer to the city where he rented a room. They said, even his lifelong friends had He was never very political, that this wasn't really central to him until a recent trip to Africa where he was again trying to start up a security business that wasn't really going anywhere. So yeah, still a lot of mystery surrounding this man.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to the impact there in Minnesota, obviously there were a lot of protests planned, but it turned out to where because there was a man hunt going on going on for someone who just committed an act like this. I mean, I think a lot of was probably planned was not able to happen due to this right.
Speaker 3: Right in that state. They did ask people not to take part in no King's parades and rallies and things like that in Minnesota probably would have would have staged some of the largest ones, but it Yeah, they asked people to stay inside. Instead, many were told stay inside and essentially be on lockdown. They had to put out the directives saying that officers would only be working in pairs because they figured this man, who we now think was a lone wolf, they were afraid he'd go to more houses and perhaps perhaps attack more people. You know, they found what three AK forty seven style assault rifles in the police car, the police suv, the police looking suv that he had, I should say, plus some other weapons as well. So a lot of background checking is being done as they try to figure out, you know, exactly what was the motivation here. Not sure if he's talking to police yet. They haven't said. So let's see if maybe he will cooperate with these investigators knowing that he really has nothing to lose at this point.
Speaker 1: That was actually gonna be a next question is do they expect him And I guess we'll find out sooner or later as far as will he cooperate and talk. But what do we know about a hit list or multiple hit lists? It sounds as if there was something discovered that me look like a hit list or be a hitlist. Do we know much about that just yet?
Speaker 3: Yeah, they said it was multiple pages, a list of a lot of names. They included a state senator Tina Smith, or rather US editor Tina Smith abortion rights advocates. That's according to a Democratic lawmaker from there at least eleven Democratic legislators from Wisconsin as well. And really names are from across the Midwest, including Michigan, Illinois, and Iowa.
Speaker 1: So and they hate to put you on the spot because I don't know if you would know this at all, but he was captured last night. Initially there was a fifty thousand dollars reward. Do we know if this was just strictly law enforcement, the FBI doing their party, Did they get a tip? Do we know it all? It's probably not known at this point. It didn't seem as if they were relying on a certain tip. It seems as if they just were able to track him it property he owned.
Speaker 3: Well what they found his car abandoned about fifty miles outside of Minneapolis to the south, and it was in an area that then set up a perimeter. And then a tip came in from someone who has one of those trail camera, yes trail and apparently his image got picked up on that trail cam and it was the owner of that trail cam who called the cops and said, hey, God just went by at this location. So then they set up a perimeter, used drones and helicopters with thermal imaging to try to hone in on them, zero in on them, and they did, and they talked them essentially into surrendering. No shots were fired, no police were injured. So the capture itself, what about as well as possible?
Speaker 1: Yeah, and great to know that there were folks out there willing to see what they could do to potentially help. And yes, whoever had the trail cam that certainly certainly came in handy. But Rory, thank you as always for the time. Enjoy your Monday and we'll talk soon, my friend.
Speaker 3: Thank Nick.
Speaker 1: All right, that's where we're needed. NBC News. Let's get another update of news, I'm sorry, well traffic, weather, then news, then sports. How about that. That's what you've got coming your way and next nine minutes right here on news Radio eight forty whis