Speaker 1: So that's not a good time. I can't hear myself. Yeah, okay, so what's going on is it? Because this?
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I can Yeah, I can sort of hear myself. Let's turn that out little yeah, myself down. All right, there we go. You're in a good place. Yeah, I definitely am.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 2: Let me get all my my facts out here because I don't want to mess it up. Yeah, yes, okay, you're ready, Yeah, fire away? All right, So balky pause, balky. I was told on good authority that the Avengers Doomsday movie is going to run three hours and forty five minutes long. Yeah, yeah, you haven't heard that. Then this is the first year here. Wait a minute, Wait a minute, wait a minute, wait a minute. Yeah this is still part one technically, yeah yeah, yes it is not.
Speaker 1: Technically it is part one. So Secret Wars comes out a year after.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I'm assuming that'll be a long one too, because Endgame was significantly longer than about Infinity YEA one from two to three twenty ye So this is like these two movies that are being released by Marvel are like it's like four movies.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, and I'm totally here for it. But that's not what I wanted to bring up with you.
Speaker 1: My bladder's not oh perfect, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Okay, for those of you listening, he didn't know. This is where this conversation was going. Run P is a new app that's out right now. Yeah, are you familiar with it?
Speaker 3: I'm not, but I told you I read an article when Endgame was coming out that from the people who reviewed it, you know, the critics. There are critics who got a handle of it. Somebody put out an article about like the six times you can afford to go peeck, like when Hulk says this, when you see Scarlet Witch do this, you have this much time, right, And I guess it just makes makes sense that somebody would have the ingenuity and the time to come up with an app that you can upload the times to pee where for every movie right now. I don't know how they do this. They must have a team of people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and what I said, So Jonathan Crause of Whby brought this up with me, and I said, well, you see, it's on a person by person basis because for my money, and I used Game of Thrones as an example. My favorite scenes of that show is like when Tierry and Jamie and Surcy are sitting around a table talking shit to one another. Like, the dragons scenes are cool, the battle scenes are cool, But give me the dialogue in those kinds of situations. Well, there's a lot of that Marvel movies. On the other hand, you know, I think I could probably skip some of the dialogue. But if you miss if you're watching Endgame and you miss what's her name, the ancient one talking to the Hulk about how the timelines exist, you are missing crucial data for the remainder of the show, even though it's not necessarily an action packed moment in the show, so it does feel relative. But I'll tell you what, if you're giving me a three hour, forty five minute movie and no intermission, I'm probably gonna have to utilize the app because I don't know short of just not bringing a drink in, peing right before I go, and then just sucking it up for four hours and not ing any liquids.
Speaker 1: I actually thought about sneaking a.
Speaker 3: Like you know, you bring in a bottle of soda into the theater, which please don't do. Yeah, but I know you do it, bring that in and then peeing in that once that's gone, you know, But but there were so many people in there.
Speaker 1: You can't really do that. You can't sit and pee. No, not at that show, because I'll be there opening night. You know.
Speaker 2: Back when Jenko jeans were popular, I snuck an entire Remember.
Speaker 1: You had a pair of jen coach.
Speaker 2: I had several jeans and I went to see Castaway. I went to see Castaway, and I snuck a two liter bottle in my pocket, into the pockets on Jenco jeans or that big we're that big that a two liter bottle disappeared into the pocket of my pants. And I'm sitting there because you know, Castaway runs pretty quiet. It's pretty there's no music, there's no dialogue other than the Tom Hanks talking to a ball. It's like twisting the cap of a two liter bottle. Absolutely draws some eyes when you do it. It's a very fond memory of mine, being like a twelve year old going into the theater.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Castaway, did you ever see the film? I might have brought this up to you. All is lost. No, it was Robert Redford, I believe his last I did see it. I did see that. Yeah, that was another one too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's not it's a lot of quiet, not a lot happening, but it's much shorter than casting.
Speaker 2: Oh you remember, he was a very artistic man. The fact that he did Winter Soldier was actually very out of character for him.
Speaker 3: Once he had there's certain actors that do that, yeah, that you're like, oh really they're they're they're doing a Marvel movie.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, yeah, he's definitely one of them for sure. And it's like mahrschel maherschel Ali Yes played like I heard that, Like, yeah, right, he's another one as well. There's a handful of them. Anthony Hopkins is Odin caught me off guard. Yeah, I forgot about that one. Yeah, there's a couple in there. But to bring it full circle, oh, Christian Bale as for the God Butcher the a good part of that movie. What a waste of his talents. But yeah, I say all that to say, uh, not to say I didn't enjoy this flick, that being the Bone Temple, But I definitely didn't need an app to tell me when to pee. You could pee for this hour, right yeah, and you could pee it just about any time of that movie, and you really wouldn't have missed.
Speaker 1: For the most part.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there were a couple of punctuated I think that's what kind of makes these movies what they are, is there's punctuated action with long think pieces.
Speaker 3: Well, I think I think the developing relationship between Kelson and Samson, like if you would have missed like that early on, you'd be like, wait, what what's that here?
Speaker 1: It's very much but there is a lot of story.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no doubt, no doubt. We're doing the second part of the three part adapt adaptation of twenty eight years later, this one being the bone.
Speaker 3: Before it is gonna be fo It's gonna be four Yeah, that's uh.
Speaker 1: And Danny Boyle is directing that the next one.
Speaker 2: Okay, see, so I googled is there going to be a third one? And they said, yes, I didn't see anything about a fourth, but we're going four deep already.
Speaker 1: Let me let me look this up here, because yeah, I want to make sure I'm getting.
Speaker 2: This, because this one definitely ends on a quasi cliffhanger as well, not anything edge of your seat wise, but enough to make you say, oh, I wonder what the next step in this process is going to be, which is enough. It was enough to make me go home and google have they already been greenlit for a third one? Because my interest is peaked and.
Speaker 3: Untitled untitled fifth film's yeah.
Speaker 1: So oh wait, but is that clounting Days and Weeks and then.
Speaker 3: Plus these days weeks, years and then bone fourth and then the fifth is untitled?
Speaker 2: Okay, so the third one in this little iteration, but it does look like it's going to go full circle with the last album.
Speaker 3: Alex Garland, who is the screenwriter for Days and Weeks, is a screenwriter for this one, and Danny Boyle confirming last January he would direct the third film in the new trilogy.
Speaker 1: I don't understand how is that the new trilogy? That's how I look at it, because technically one unless you're unless well okay, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't get that at all, because even if you're counting Years and Bone as one, then this would be the second film.
Speaker 2: See I'm viewing Years, Bone, and then this third one is going to be three films of a trilogy that, while they technically connect with the first two movies, are their own thing. That's how I'm kind of been viewing it, And I think this one goes if you saw the first one which is available on Netflix. That one ends and this one. As I told you during our tees direct continuation of where that ends, if you watch this one, you could watch twenty eight weeks later and not necessarily have seen twenty eight days later. You could not watch Bone Temple and not have seen twenty eight years later. You'd have no idea about anything.
Speaker 3: No, you'd have some I well, yeah, no, you really should, Yeah, because there are some new stuff that's introduced here, like the band of Jimmy's, the Jimmy's, the finger band. Yeah, the finger Band, the finger Gang. That was wow. Careful how I say that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right, the fingers Gang. They did not appear in years until the very very end of the movie.
Speaker 1: Exactly.
Speaker 3: Yes, and now they were kind of like a central the central part or a central part of this film.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: The way I'm describing it to people. I was talking with APL's John Jordan about it, and I said, it's the movie was essentially a mixture of a watered down Devil's Rejects and an art house like film that like has some very artistic qualities to it. That is, someone who enjoys cinema I liked very much and is someone who enjoyed Devil's Rejects I liked very much. And I was sitting there and I'm interested in your take on this because for me, having been twelve years old watching Rob Zombie's wife do horrible things to strangers in a hotel room, me seeing this movie, I'm like, oh man, I'm a little squeamish right now. These guys are getting a little left up right now. And I was like, mainstream audiences might struggle with this a little bit, because if you haven't grown up on it, maybe, But you're saying, no, I did.
Speaker 3: Not get that feeling at all. Are you talking specifically about the barn?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that was the only thing. And even then I didn't think that was It was like.
Speaker 2: I mean, it's not like I was going to walk out. I'm viewing it. For me, I was fine. I'm saying all the mariage that you.
Speaker 3: Could say this about as far as how mainstream audience was to take it, This to me is bizarre that that.
Speaker 2: You know not at all, Because again, and I'll bring it back to a conversation we've had on this podcast, the intro to Nagan and I actually looked this up so that I knew I was right that is viewed as one of the low points from the masses of what Walking Dead was, whereas I thought that was the best episode they've ever done, and yeah, it's definitely top three. I don't know if it's the best and Amerisy, so maybe you're a little more skewed than you realize.
Speaker 3: What the mass I would just assume that everybody's like me. I did not read the Walking Dead graphic novel.
Speaker 1: I neither. I need no idea.
Speaker 3: But once I got into the show, like two seasons in, Yeah, I'm going to see how much it matches up with the graphic novel and what they're doing on the television show.
Speaker 1: Hold on, hold on, just I'll get there, all right. So I'm seeing, like what matches up and what does it? Right?
Speaker 3: Well, what's the next logical step? The next logical step is seeing, Hey, I wonder what happens in the graphic novel next?
Speaker 1: No? Sure?
Speaker 3: And so then so I knew it was coming, Okay, I knew that this whole. I knew the introduction Megan would at least be a play on it, so it did not catch me off guard. Now the second part, while spoiler alert, it kills a second person. Yeah, and that's what I was like, Oh, you know, because you have to do something.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and he's about to cut Carl's arm off, and they make you think that Rick's gonna die in the back of that truck or whatever that thing was. It was just an hour of dread. This was only about ten to fifteen minutes. And again, I don't want to turn anybody off to it. Like I was thoroughly enjoyed. And again, it was very light compared to other stuff I've seen. But I also know a lot of mainstream audiences tend to stray away from that kind of stuff, and I was surprised.
Speaker 1: And to put some perspective on I'll tell this, I'll tell you this.
Speaker 3: I think mainstream audiences would be more upset about the gratuitous and frequent male frontal nudity in this in this film than they would about the violence the barn scene. Yeah, and ray Fied's I mean fines, Ray Fines. I didn't need to see, you know, when he's in the bumper.
Speaker 1: What the hell? Man?
Speaker 2: Second time we've seen it though. We wasn't he a red dragon? Isn't he red dragon?
Speaker 1: Yeah? He is?
Speaker 2: Yeah, we we we got, we got Uh he hung dong and uh. There was actually rumors that they had to use c g I to shrink it because it hung so low in the silhouettes that that audiences wouldn't be able to take it. I was a child when that rumor came out. I don't know if it's real or not.
Speaker 3: I heard Michael Fastbender, that's that's oh yeah, he's he's the one with the big swinging.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's interesting, that's interesting.
Speaker 3: I also heard from not that I want to turn this into a celebrity mail genital with it, but yeah, because Clooney made at like the Golden Globes. He made reference to some movie that Michael Fassbender did that year where he did full frontal and and Clooney compared his little Fastbender to a golf club. And I also heard this, and I can't remember who said this. This is like a famous famous female musician. I think that toured with all these different like all these different musical acts, right, okay, And this was like a long time ago, and I think she's still alive, but she's definitely, you know, much closer to death than birth. And somebody asked her because I guess she slept with a lot of the acts, the male acts she toured with, and they're like, well, who had the biggest you know, and she said, hands down, not close.
Speaker 1: Huey Lewis. Huey Lewis apparently was the had the most impressive member. So there you go. That's good to know. That's good to know. These are the kind of coment that's my extent of celebrity mail Cheditalia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well that wasn't that the premise and knocked up they were going to start a website based on this kind of thing. People care, people are interested in it now. But let me let me paint a picture for you here of what I saw. So I went on Monday, which was a holiday for a lot of people.
Speaker 1: Martin Luther King Day. Were you off? I don't. I mean I work on Christmas? Okay, perfect? Perfect?
Speaker 2: Yes, I was not off either. So but I chose to go to the Monday showing because it was National Movie Theater Popcorn Day, so you got a free large at ten dollars.
Speaker 3: Large was free, which is smart on their part as far as marketing goes, because they know a lot of people that are not working that day. Hey, let's get into theater.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 2: See, so this is how we know Balky's smarter than Ben. I see free movie theater popcorn, do not make the connection that it is also a holiday. And I'm like, oh, I'm going to check this flick out on Monday instead of Tuesday to get the free I'll pay the extra two bucks for the ticket, get the free popcorn turn out plus eight bucks. Right, Yeah, So I go on Monday. There is not a spot in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: It is full. But was everybody seeing? I mean, what was your theater?
Speaker 2: Like? So I get in line and there's a there's a mom, there's children everywhere. It was like I entered a Chuck e Cheese. There's children around everywhere.
Speaker 1: What was the big kids movie? SpongeBob Oh?
Speaker 2: And I think there's one other cartoon out there that I'm not familiar with. I'm not I'm blanking on the name of it. I don't know what's out there right now. I actually the people in front of me got turned away. The movie they had driven there to see was sold out and they would have had to wait two and a half hours to catch the next available showing of what was there?
Speaker 3: They do have televisions and a restaurant in there. Yeah, right, I could kill some time.
Speaker 1: I'm sure. I'm sure they did something and got in there. So I walk up.
Speaker 2: They obviously know me, and I kind of grimaced. I'm like, well, I'm a little skeptical now that I see this crowd. They're like, well, what is it today? And I went Bone Temple and they scoff and they go, oh, you'll be fine, and they bring the list up and I'm in the Imax theater. Oh wow, three seats are taken. Oh so you could stretch out in a packed thea in a packed building, pack building.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Nobody had any interest in seeing this movie, and I looked it up. And while they weren't expecting massive numbers, the projection was twenty million dollars nationwide. In terms of box office, they got closer to thirteen. So it is underperforming in a lot of ways, which is interesting there. But I sometimes when did the last one come out? I mean less than a year?
Speaker 1: Right? Yeah?
Speaker 2: For some reason, I know I'm wrong, but for some reason, my mind says January. But we were not doing this show last January, and we did this show and we did that movie.
Speaker 1: When it was in theaters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I don't remember when the release date was, but for some reason, it felt like it was early in the year. It obviously wasn't. So if I had to guess, August, does that feel right? I'm looking it up right now, Yeah, it feels like August. If I didn't, if we weren't recording right now, I could look up which episode number it was for, uh, for the June twentieth. Okay, all right, so six months turnaround. It's not that much. But it was a positive reviewed. I thought it was a good movie, as I thought this one was as well. Not Groundbreak, not anything I hadn't seen before in a lot of ways.
Speaker 3: Well, okay, you say that, but I think the biggest piece of information, or the biggest reveal of the continuing storyline is treating the rage virus.
Speaker 2: Yeah, did you not get just just a scent of a I AM legend during that whole that that whole like that wasn't that like Will Smith's Oh.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay premise? So I guess, yes, we have seen it before. Yeah, but I liked it when when I mean, because you got to give you gotta give the audiences new and all of a sudden Oh there's a way out potentially.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know, it definitely humanizes it. And I can't tell.
Speaker 2: I think I know what they're going for in this flick, and I like the idea, and I kind of like the idea that it's almost like your your cure to the rage virus, but sort of like and that's the best that I can say without spoiling things, because the scene when you kind of start to see people maybe start to recognize things, they do it in a way that you're like, man, uh, that's definitely still way stronger than most humans. I mean, the alpha is a big dude. I don't I have his name. You're talking about the bus?
Speaker 1: Yeah? The bus? Yeah? Yeah? You think that was real? Do I think it was real? Yeah? Or imagined? Oh see, I was Okay, that's an interesting thing. I don't know. I I because I was watching it, I didn't know if it was if this.
Speaker 2: Was Oh, I like where this is going? What made you think it was? It didn't even cross my mind that it could have been imagine.
Speaker 3: Because it's flashing back and forth between a real memory he had, right, yeah, and then real life and then sort of like the different characters in the scene are switching back and forth between their blending memory and real life, right, or they're blending memory and yeah real life right.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: And so I didn't know if I was watching something in Samson's mind or if this was taking place in the real world but in a very different way than it was taking place in his miss I was gonna ask you about, Oh God, because I didn't know if.
Speaker 2: It turns out in the third movie that you're spot on A, you're a genius.
Speaker 3: And B I'm not a genius. Ben, I just don't know. I mean, I'm just bringing it up as a possibility.
Speaker 1: I have no idea.
Speaker 2: I'm at the point now where if it was, if it weren't imagined, I'm gonna be frustrated because I think that's such an interesting plot twist on something that we have seen before that I would love to see. And it leaned into can we get into the first one since it's on Netflix, like, can I talk about stuff?
Speaker 1: Okay? When he sees what I'm assuming was.
Speaker 2: His wife or maybe as a rage virus, or maybe because I think he was infected fairly young in his life, we're talking about the alpha in the first scene in the bus. He watches the pregnant woman get killed by the kid who's running around with that other dweeby looking guy and his mom. We watched the pregnant rage virus woman get killed in the first one. Yeah, and you can tell even in his most rage induced hysteria, there is a look of recognition that someone important to him had died and that was before any of this movie happened. And that's what I think I love most about this trilogy is it's starting. It's almost like several seasons of Game of Thrones starting narratives with no interest in actually finishing them. And given the way this one ended, the alpha is gonna be in the third one, like without a doubt, Like we're going to learn more as this kind of progresses here. But there's definitely an interesting development, like I find that they even when they are rage induced, they can recognize humanity, which then begs the question was Ralph finds working with him prior and we didn't see it before the first film? Or is there that level of humanity in every single one of these people. It's these interesting questions that I think would really make it fun.
Speaker 1: What do you think provoked I mean.
Speaker 3: Okay, I'm assuming that this relationship we had between say, well, i'll call them the Alpha since that's I want to keep everybody on the same pace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Samson and Out, Yeah we have Samson is the Alpha Alphas. The Samson Finkle is Einhorneyles second detective reference today. Anyway, what was the first one? Haley not on the air on my show mentioned it because of Lace's out. I don't remember how we got there, but in the event carry on.
Speaker 3: So so obviously the the inspiration for him to sort of drug the Alpha is companionship, right, Yeah, okay, But then what provoked him to think.
Speaker 1: That that.
Speaker 3: He that there was still a human there was still humanity inside the Alpha. Was it just natural observation or did he was this something that he was trying to really test the theory on that that there is still like this rage virus could be cured or at least, you know, mitigated to some extent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's a little bit of Column May, a little bit of col Um b U. There is a conversation and this will tie into the question you asked. There's a conversation between the main Jimmy and Fines. We have to talk about the Jimmy the fa We'll absolutely get into it. But they have a pretty long discussion, which was good. And I'm sitting there and you know me, I'm a subtext guy, and I'm watching a Satanist, devout religious fanatic that is actually more on the ball than I think a lot of people are willing to give him credit. Talk to an educated doctor of science who, in my opinion, is kind of losing it a little bit as a result of isolation. And I was like, what a strange combination of people to be talking right now, So for you to ask why do I think in my mind, based on what I was taking out of that movie in that particular moment, I'm like, he's kind of losing it. He has pictures of what seems to be a wife and family that existed, and he's living on his own in this film, and I think he is desperate for any kind of companionship, and he takes some pretty big chances that could have resulted in death throughout this movie with pretty little care for whether or not that death would have happened.
Speaker 3: You know what he kind of reminded me of. And you're kind of driving this home now, is in the Walking Dad Morgan. Yeah, Morgan had this family, but he lived on his own. You we as an audience, always thought Morgan was gonna die, to the point where Morgan starts his like catchphrase was I don't die, you know, like like okay, well I guess. And that's what it was with Kelson too, like just whatever decisions this dude makes, he doesn't die.
Speaker 2: So yeah, okay, but yeah, does that Does that resonate with you then or do you think another No?
Speaker 1: I think that makes sense.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think like at a certain point when you're isolating, I mean, how long had he been isolated?
Speaker 1: Do we know? Was it all twenty eight years? Yeah? Who knows?
Speaker 2: How how early on something like that happened? And I like how this movie doesn't hold your hand, like they don't spoon feed you stuff. They allow you to infer things. I'll tell you what. I'm assuming they digitally did it. He looks a lot younger in the photographs than yeah than he does in the uh hair. Yeah, so it seems like it's been a minute, not that you're running around taking pictures ten years into his zombie apocalypse, but based on context clues, it seems like he's been alone for a while.
Speaker 1: So.
Speaker 3: I guess your mind starts to do weird things at that point. Yeah, I mean this what what was this thing memory?
Speaker 1: The thing that he always says, oh, son of a gun, I.
Speaker 3: Don't memory, mento, memento mori or whatever it was, which is the tribute, not the tribute to the death, but the reminder of death.
Speaker 1: And that's why he constructed the bone temple.
Speaker 3: Essentially, that's not normal behavior obviously, no, but you got to occupy your mind somehow, and and so I don't know, Like I think the Samson thing for me was just sort of this natural progression of I I need to do something I needed. It's we talked about this before. Once people retire, that's when deaths start to happen because they have no purpose of life at it. So in order for him to have purpose of life in the zombie in this particular zombie apocalypse, the rage virus, which really isn't an apocalypse because we know it's it's quarantined, right like the rest of the world is good the or at least good ish, you have to have a purpose of life, and I think his purpose is like, Okay, I need to do something here.
Speaker 1: I need to I need to have my work matter. I need to have my life matter.
Speaker 2: Yeah, anyway, And I mean, you see that in the first movie, right he's he's diagnosing people. He helps the young kid's name. I'm blanking on it right now, Spike. He helps him and his mom or you know, for lack of a better term, helps them. Given the tools that he had in front of him in terms of surviving a quote unquote apocalypse, he actually has a lot more purpose that I would argue most people behind themselves in Yeah, Bully, I mean, I'm sitting there. You have like familial instincts to keep you running. I'm sitting there watching that movie, and I'm sitting there thinking to myself, Dude, there are days when I'm like, man, I'm tired. I don't feel like going to the grocery store today. Like the idea of going out and forging for food every day, just to have to go and do it again tomorrow eating.
Speaker 1: I don't want to live in that.
Speaker 2: I have no I'm assuming he goes out and you saw even the Alpha eating blackberries and whatnot. Clearly there was some kind of plant life going on in the region. The dude's not a dummy. Doctor Kelson isn't a dummy. He picked a spot that had some food and he hangs out there. I really enjoyed his arc.
Speaker 1: Throughout that movie. I thought.
Speaker 2: I thought it was well done, and it's an interesting take befriending somebody. It's almost like a serious take on the ending to Sean of the Dead when he's gaming with his buddy in the who's been turned into a zombie pros but they're trying to kind of maintain what life was before he became a zombie.
Speaker 3: It's like a more and there's there's something, there's something still within.
Speaker 2: Yes, exactly, And so I thought it was a funny take on some It's again something we've seen, but a unique take on it that I thought was that I thought was really enjoyable. But to be frank, those scenes were good. But when Ben was locking into this movie, was anytime that the Jimmys were on screen?
Speaker 1: Okay, that's what I want to get it activating now.
Speaker 3: Now Jack O'Connell plays the main Jimmy, Sir Jimmy Okay in this brilliant actor. I feel like i'd seen him before. I went and looked at his credits. I don't remember ever seeing it. Interesting, and he's done a lot of British television and a lot of British films, but he has that. Oh before we get onto the Jimmy's we talked about this on your show, Aaron Taylor Johnson with.
Speaker 1: The was he in this movie? Yeah? Confirmed not.
Speaker 3: And I looked at that really close because you told me to pay attention to that. You see how I could get confused totally because I was looking at it close. But if you look at the hairline, that's what drew me in. There's like this one shot where he's sort of on the ground right before it happens. The hairline is really high, and then you look at the facial structure and it's much wider than Aaron Taylor Johnson. So at that point, and then I confirmed when I looked up the credits on this movie.
Speaker 1: He didn't even get an uncredited assurance on this.
Speaker 2: Without spoiling what happened on my radio show, I brought it up with Bulk because that's a pretty mainline actor who realistically was only in fifteen minutes of the first one as well.
Speaker 1: Oh, come on more than that, way more.
Speaker 2: Once they got back to the city. He really wasn't relevant. The mom and the kid leave but left.
Speaker 1: Don't tell me he was only on screen for fifteen minutes in that movie. It was much longer. It's definitely not.
Speaker 3: Dude, Aaron Taylor Johnson in the first twenty eight years later is on screen. Uh huh ah, hell of a lot more than fifteen I'm gonna have to rewatch it now and I'll get back to dude. I mean, like, he's in it for the first act. He's in the movie for the first act.
Speaker 1: Are you talking about it specific actor, You're talking about the whole film.
Speaker 2: About the whole film, dude, he's in the first act and then the second and third act is the kid and the mom trying to figure out how to get her health feed.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but they still flash back to him for like seconds, and then he's in at the end too.
Speaker 1: Okay, I'm telling it's more than fifteen minutes, saying it's not thirty.
Speaker 3: I wonder if you could google that. Yeah, yeah, good, do me a favorite. Do me a favorite. Google Aaron Taylor Johnson twenty eight years later, screen time and just see what pops up. And if it's not one of the top returns are one of the top results, then it's going to take some more internet gymnastics to find this out.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I will remember this conversation perfect two weeks. Well, well, well I'm just gonna use AI, so take yeah. In twenty eight years later, Aaron Taylor Johnson's screen time was surprisingly limited, with some viewers estimating around twenty minutes, despite his prominent.
Speaker 1: Twenty minutes isn't much more than fifteen.
Speaker 3: It's more than fifteen, Okay. That's my point is like you're setting the over rudder at fifteen, I'm taking the over right, So he is.
Speaker 1: I don't want to. I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Make it seem like he is this huge, massive part of twenty eight years later.
Speaker 1: That was never my contention. Sure, I just.
Speaker 2: Meant it was given his his his name presence. It is a tremendously reduced role comparatively. Maybe they couldn't afford It makes me think he's going to be a very prominent role in the third one totally, because you don't. You don't sign somebody like that to use them for not fifteen And and.
Speaker 1: He didn't die, right, right, I mean, like we know he's still out there.
Speaker 2: Right, and so one character during the movie who does get whacked really looks like Aaron Taylor Johnson, and it turns out it was not him, so I expect to see him in the third movie.
Speaker 3: Now on to the Jimmys. So, and this was something I fell down the rabbit hole on. The Jimmies are a gang.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: I don't know why they're called fingers. I think Jack O'Connell's character kind of talked about that, like they make up a fist, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, but there's seven of them, so there because he's like, I needed a really strong fist, so I have seven fingers still, yeah, and he will.
Speaker 3: Have tryouts for this finger gang j right, like the like and basically, if you kill one of the Jimmies, you take that Jimmy spot. So the gang never gets bigger than seven, right, It's always seven, and we see some some of these fights happen in this movie.
Speaker 1: Now here.
Speaker 3: Here's the biggest thing. Do you know the inspiration of the Jimmies. Yes, okay, so Jimmy and I think I'm pronouncing this right Seville. Yeah, that's how i'd say it, Okay, was sort of like a Dick Clark British version, right, he was a famous DJ in England in real life.
Speaker 1: In real life, this happened famous.
Speaker 3: DJ hosted Top of the Pops, hosted Jim Will Fix It like this massive like he was. He was like Casey Kasem, Dick Clark. Yeah, this huge, larger than like Shadow Stevens, larger than life DJ. Only I would make the contention that he was way bigger in Britain than any of those guys were in America, like Rick D's or any of these guys Wolfman.
Speaker 1: Jack right on the ups.
Speaker 3: So what happened was there was some sexual assault allegations later on in his life, his lawyers and him denied it. He passes away I want to say, a cancer or something at an old age. I mean I think he was in his late seventies or early eighties, something like that. And then afterwards they all these people came forward and it was like hundreds, like four hundred instances of sexual assault or whatever. And Scotland Yard looked into this and they found out that this guy was maybe not maybe like he was one inarguably one of the biggest sexual predators that England has ever had, United Kingdom's ever had. Okay, so this is his legacy now and they're tearing down statues and taking his name off stuff that was named after him during his lifetime. Like, this guy looked like a he looks like a total scary ass predator.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, he looks like Nick Cage's character in Long Legs.
Speaker 1: But in real life.
Speaker 3: Now Long Legs is Okay, it wasn't Nicholas spoiler alert, wasn't Nicholas Cage Long Legs. Yeah, okay, Long Legs is way creepier than Jamie Seville now, just sure because he's a real life person.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Seville is. But I'm saying, you take it like aesthetically.
Speaker 3: So they made up I think it was like a made for TV mini series or movie in England about this guy. And I like, if you look at him, he just he has that kind of yeah, he's got the track suits, creepy kind of like like vibe.
Speaker 1: He gives up.
Speaker 3: But he was beloved and he donated all this money and he was like like with this great humanitarian while he was alive, but apparently he wasn't. And Steve Coogan, who is one of my favorite actors, played him in this in this uh whatever it's called this, Jimmy Seville documentary, like that wasn't a documentary because it was.
Speaker 1: It was. It was a drama. It was made up, but it was. But it's based on Like when Cuba cutting Junior played OJ and I will say.
Speaker 3: Uh, it was that the American Ever Story, crime story. You're either gonna this is either gonna blow your mind or Okay, so we have to we have to bring it back. No, no, no, no, I don't want to bring it back. I want to I want to add to it because I don't know if you were aware of this and just didn't bring it up, or if this is gonna make your jaw drop.
Speaker 1: But in Britain it was.
Speaker 2: Actually the ending to the first movie was a controversy because just showing Jimmy Seville in Britain is viewed as a big, big no no.
Speaker 1: Like people do not bullew it hold on in Britain. They don't. They don't show this guy.
Speaker 2: They don't reference that it happened. They don't want to pay any homage to him. They don't want any kind of reference to Jimmy Seville. And the first movie is twenty eight years later, you know when he died. Okay, this is wild. This is absolutely wild.
Speaker 3: The movie came out twenty eight years later after he passes way, okay, so.
Speaker 2: So it's okay, twenty eight years later this whole thing, I think is a reference to that story in a lot of way. That is making a lot of people in England very uncomfortable that the diving.
Speaker 3: I remember that there was a huge controversy when this came out. Yeah when twenty eight years later came out, and I didn't understand the controversy, right, And now I'm okay, so this makes sense. And the other thing too, is like the fingers are fairly young. How would they know who Jimmy Siville was. I mean maybe Jack O'Connell's character would, sure, because he he looks like he's like thirty ish.
Speaker 2: Right, right, I mean you and I not that were, you know, the paragons of understanding foreign relationships here. But I feel like I know a lot about a lot about a famous serial killers and stuff like that. Like I feel like something about this guy would have popped up in front of me over the course of thirty eight years of being on this earth.
Speaker 3: And I but he was, but but this was he never went to prison for anything. Sure's you know, and he was never charged I mean anything that they investigated him and they couldn't charge him with him.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you what, man, his name is much more known now than it was probably June in America.
Speaker 3: In America, yeah, I mean in Britain it's still now, it's maybe less known because they're trying to erase that part.
Speaker 2: It's like some Freddy Krueger ship where they just don't don't say his name.
Speaker 1: We can't Baltimart, right right, it just doesn't.
Speaker 2: Isn't that funny? Now you gotta wonder because that's also British. It makes you wonder all the time, like was that with these Although that was a little before he passed, so maybe, but now I'm Jerry Potter. Yeah, that was like ninety nine. I guess that was less than twenty eight years ago. Maybe maybe hold on, hold on, hold on? When did the first film come out? Early two thousands? But the first book was read to me when I was in sixth grade in nineteen ninety nine.
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, so that and Voldemort was already established in the book and.
Speaker 1: He was he who must not be named.
Speaker 2: But nineteen ninety nine was twenty seven years ago, so twenty eight years ago he died.
Speaker 1: Is JK. Rowling sitting there thinking.
Speaker 3: Yeah, okay, but they didn't have that. They didn't have they didn't have this sort of name embargo on Jimmy Seville. Probably not back then. Probably not.
Speaker 1: I don't. I think you're reading too much of it. You Probably it's fun to think about.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, it's it's a unique coincidence now that I'm kind of just putting pieces together. Welcome outside the box, ladies, and.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so Jack O'Connell, his character comes up with this Fingers gang, right, and they're all dressed like Jimmy Seville. They all have like the sort of like platinum blonde hair. Some of it's real like some of them actually have it. Some of them have to wear wigs. And they let movie meteor Man you're seeing.
Speaker 1: With Eddie Murphy? Was he in that? I think? I don't think it's Eddie Murphy.
Speaker 2: I think it's a guy looks like Eddie Murphy, and the whole gang has like a they all look like Dennis Rodman, Like the whole gang has like that blonde streak.
Speaker 1: That's what I was thinking of. Meteor Man.
Speaker 2: Meteor Man, the guy gets hit by Metior and he has the strangest combination of power. Was it Robert Townsend? Maybe maybe I saw it as a kid. He could touch a book and for thirty seconds he knew all the information in the book, and then he'd immediately forget it, Like it was one of those kind of.
Speaker 3: Starring Robert Townsend nineteen ninety three, Uh, Marla Gibbs, Eddie Griffin, Robert Gillome who was Benson from soap, James Earl Jones, Bill Cosby, and of course another bad creation.
Speaker 1: I gotta watch this movie. It's great, dude, It's awful, but it's special.
Speaker 3: Listen to this special appearances by Luther Vandross Sindbad Naughty by Nature, Cypress Hill and Big Daddy Kane.
Speaker 2: Look up, look up the blonde hair like all the people in the gang have like a ball of blonde.
Speaker 1: Okay.
Speaker 3: So, so Townsend is a mild manner teacher becomes superhero after his neighborhood in DC is terrorized by street gangs.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like the Golden Lord there, it is the Golden Lords. That's what these are, the white people versions of the Golden Repord. That's what I was thinking.
Speaker 3: Well, it doesn't say anything in here about about like you know what they I'd have to watch a trailer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now we'll get into that later. Tell me your interest is in Peaks.
Speaker 1: Well like the stars of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but in any event, so they all he clearly has a has a god complex.
Speaker 1: Jimmy Seville does in this movie.
Speaker 3: Okay, so we have to bring this up. No, not Jimmy's sir, Jimmy, Sir Jimmy. Yes, so we have to bring this up. And you're a pretty attentive movie watcher, so you probably picked up on this the.
Speaker 1: Beginning of twenty eight years later the first film.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there's a scene where this character named Jimmy is his is his house is being attacked, and he flees into his church. Yeah, the church that his father is a minister of. Okay, right when the outbreak starts, right when the outbreaks, and the minister is actually happy about this because he feels like this is the end of the world.
Speaker 1: He's finally gonna get to heaven.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and he gives Jimmy, and I don't really understand this, he gave Jimmy a crucifix to wear around his neck. But it was an upside down Crucifix, which is obviously the universal sign of the devil, sign of the devil, right, So why does a minister have that?
Speaker 1: You know?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, and hold on, hold on, And then so he wears this throughout the he's wearing it at the end of twenty eight years later, he wears it throughout Bone Temple, which did not I didn't understand that. And then I was like, so, did he become a Satanist because he rejected his father? Did he become a Satanist because this is what his father gave? I didn't understand the Satanic thing. And then towards the end of the movie, there are a lot of parallels and like obvious hit you over the head, parallels between Satanism and Christianity. Yeah, you know which which I I guess I don't really fully understand the motive and the theme in that because I don't understand why this guy became such a sat You.
Speaker 1: Know, yeah, I don't.
Speaker 2: I think I think you hit the nail on the head with your first description. I think it was the lack of structure.
Speaker 3: It was, oh, you know what, I'm forgetting this too, he did say. I think it was the barn scene. I want it, or maybe it was in when they're in that cottage, somebody said praying to God or praying to Jesus, and he said, why would you bring up either one of those?
Speaker 1: Well, I know what he said. It was a sea word. I think he said it the sea word.
Speaker 3: Okay, so he obviously and I wonder if that's maybe like a play on like how could And this is a lot of people's problem with Christianity, And I totally get it. How could a god, an omnipotent, all knowing, omniscient god allow stuff like this to happen. So his whole thing was, I can't believe in God because of this rage virus and the way it destroyed my life and all these other lives. So Satan must be the way, because Satan is the antithesis of God. Yeah, maybe that's what it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I took the family structure out of it as well. Essentially I was looking at it as Spike very clearly, the little the main little boy from the first one, very clearly rejects everything that Jimmy and the Fingers are right away and never even really gives them a chance to kind of crack into He's scared.
Speaker 1: He's scar that he thinks this is the only way to survive.
Speaker 2: But in exactly but in a world where he had both of his parents up until the time he was twelve years.
Speaker 1: Old, but he rejected his father at the end too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're right, you know, like like there was there, there was he he was he always had, at least the way it was portrayed in twenty eight years later, he always had this sort of like I feel like Aaron Taylor Johnson's character is a little He's portrayed to be a little overbearing. Yeah, right, but not to the point where Spike doesn't still like that, Like Spike is attracted to wanting to please his father and wanting to be a man, you know, or whatever, and wanting to get his father's approval or whatever. And then something happens in the first one, Are we spoiling them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I think we're okay.
Speaker 3: Now he's having an affair with Aaron Taylor Johnson. Spike's father, Alfie Williams is the actor. Spike's father is having an affair with Spike's I want to say teacher school.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't remember how she was.
Speaker 3: And he catches them, but he doesn't know his father doesn't know that he knows. So then at that point he leaves and he's all about his mother and taking care of his mother, and he feels like his dad, how could his dad, How could he believe his dad is doing the best he can to take care of his mother when he's too busy canoodling with this.
Speaker 2: Other parallels between the Jimmy situation and that situation there, and so.
Speaker 1: He never really fully embraced but he doesn't know that.
Speaker 3: He doesn't know that about Sir Jimmy Spike, does not know that about this is the audience.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly.
Speaker 2: But that was definitely one of the things that I noticed there because so many of the fingers totally bought into what was going on, whether they were scared or thought it was their only way to survive, especially of them, not all of them. And they kind of play with that quite a bit. And it's hard to get seven people all on the same page about something.
Speaker 3: Unless you're you're in a quarantined place where death is everywhere, you're being hunted constantly. I mean, if you find anybody that's even if if philosophically and morally you are on the polar opposite of them. They are human and they know how to survive, and you survive in numbers.
Speaker 2: In if I ever do make a movie, it will be a cult. Really, I find the idea of cults fascinating and how much they prey on people that are in a.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's a cult. I don't think it's a cult. You don't think I don't think that was a cult. I think, and I don't think people believe that. I think the Fingers acted the way that they did because they felt they had no choice, like to join a cult.
Speaker 1: Nobody's forcing you to join a cult.
Speaker 2: At one point, one of them is one hundred percent certain they saw Satan walking amongst them. And there's no irony in her voice.
Speaker 3: And that was and that was the one who, uh was most questioning, Yeah, not most questioning, but like it clearly did not want to be a part of the Fingers. She was a part of the Fingers because she felt this was her best way to service.
Speaker 2: It's actually a line that she says, it's if you think it's better out there.
Speaker 1: It isn't right exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, which to me is what cults prey on is your life sucks outside of the cult. So the cult is the safe space, even though it's a bad place to be. Trust me, you don't want to be alone. That's way worse, right, And like that's the kind.
Speaker 3: Of all right, So maybe we're I think we're getting caught up on the yeah, on the terminology here, but I think towards the end of it, in like the final scene or basically the final scene, not quite the final scene, which we have to talk about that too, where sort of everything is getting resolved, you're seeing people in these high dramatic moments, with these high stakes moments where people are revealing to you who they are. Like you can tell that these I mean the fingers were scared. They were scared people, and I think like the way that they treated other people, I mean that's what bullies do. And bullies act out because they're scared, because they're they're what do you call it when you don't believe in yourself?
Speaker 1: Unconfident? Not yeah, they're not confident, they have low self.
Speaker 3: Esteem, insecure, they're insecure about themselves. And I think where we saw that towards the end of the of the film as well.
Speaker 1: There's something to be said because he deals with mostly children or young adults.
Speaker 3: But he knew he knew, Sir, Jimmy knew who to pray on like he knew and how did he battle test them? You gotta be able to kill to be part.
Speaker 1: Of the fingers.
Speaker 2: But then when you see Jimmy talking to another equal, when you see him talking to doctor Kelson, like where it put me mentally watching that is when I do my show, I talk about the economy all the time. When you put me in front of an economist, all of a sudden, my bluster about the economy definitely changes tones. And when you saw Jimmy talking to a doctor, when you saw him like trying to spin his satanic yarn to another person who really had his own volition, his own capacity to think, you could tell that insecurity was popping out a Jimmy dealing with somebody. You gotta find the weak minded people who are confused, scared and lost. Doctor Kelton was Kelson was not.
Speaker 1: That was so so. The village that Spike came from, they knew.
Speaker 2: Of Kelson, right, but I think he was in a pariah because wasn't it right? But they don't visit they knew about him. Yes, do you think, sir, Jimmy knew who Kelson was. Sound like okay, now, was Kelson originally part of Spike's village and he was ostracized?
Speaker 1: I don't know. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I don't remember the specifics about it anymore. And because I know he was like viewed as like, you don't go see that exactly kind of guy. And I don't remember how he got that mo o or that.
Speaker 3: I think because of the rumors, Like I'm sure people went there, like we saw the foragers, yeah, finding the chicken of the woods whatever, the mushrooms, and I'm sure they saw this guy, like what's her name, Kelly, as we found out her name was like she saw him orange skin dancing with with with.
Speaker 1: One of the infected, a huge tower of skulls.
Speaker 3: Yeah, without context, yeah right, I'd be saying the same thing, and she's of it.
Speaker 1: Frankly, with the context, I still don't know if you want to hang.
Speaker 2: Out with that, That's what I'm saying. And you and I are approaching this if we came across that twenty eight years from now, we have a memory of this moment right now, right we remember when the super Bowl was a thing and what society was a lot of these kids, they're younger than twenty eight years old. So when you see a bone temple with no context of how life works, that has to be so much even stranger. Yeah, because maybe less to be like, yeah, you know what, you might be wrong. I don't know, because we know that's off the wall.
Speaker 3: Wait wait exactly When I watch Walking Dead, I have to remember that these young kids, they have no concept of what the world was like even talking not that we live in a zombie apocalypse, but I was talking to my kid the other day who has no concept of a world without the internet, right, you know, and like, it's so that's so bizarre even me. I think back to when I was like, right, you know that all the time in like first years of high school, in grade school before that, there's no internet, Internet.
Speaker 2: Or instant Messenger was basically texting, but you need to be in front of the computer all the time, like that kind of.
Speaker 3: Stuff, or the phones that you can take with you. Yeah, you know, Like it's just it's crazy.
Speaker 2: Which is that's probably one of the coolest parts about it being twenty eight years later, and that's to me what makes it more depressed. But that's what life is at that point exactly. And that was my point. These kids everything is gray and depressing. There's no joy. There's there's no there. I mean, there's so little joy, I should say. And it's so you have to really look for the joy in the zombie apocalypse. And these kids are brought up in it, you know, and and I forget that. And so I don't know if they if they run into this now, the older foragers, you know, they would remember a time. Oh sure would imagine the.
Speaker 3: Bald guy in the in the that trio, like he would probably know. But the other two maybe not.
Speaker 2: No, absolutely not. And I was sitting there spoiler warning. People die from rage monsters throughout this movie.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: You watch one guy, he goes to stab one and he just stabs too early and then all of a sudden he's dead.
Speaker 1: I'm like, man, that guy made it twenty.
Speaker 2: Eight years without making a single mistake, and like that little slip up results in your death. I'm like, what a way to freaking live?
Speaker 1: Are you talking about the ball guy?
Speaker 2: Uh, there's like a group of three fourds walking and they're like, don't go after me, Like we gotta get him before he sees us. And he goes to sneak up on him, steps on a twig. Yeah, and I was like, man, for twenty eight years, you lived a life where you never made that miss.
Speaker 3: You don't know though he might have made that mistake before we got away, got away with that, which it would have emboldened him to do that.
Speaker 2: No, no, you don't, but I guess I mean not. You don't end up pain for your mistakes. We talking to microphones for a living. I don't go a single week without making mistakes, whether flubbing up my words or saying the wrong thing and forgetting something. The idea of going twenty eight years of living a life of like life.
Speaker 3: But it is different, like the consequence for us if we if we say something we didn't mean to. Okay, maybe we get reprimanded or fined or something. They make a mistake, they die. Yeah, you know that makes mistakes are different.
Speaker 2: That's and to live that way for almost three decades. I'm thirty eight years old, that'd be seventy five percent of my life.
Speaker 3: The other thing, too, is like when you when you twenty, you go by twenty eight years doing the same thing and over and over and over again.
Speaker 1: Forage and whatever.
Speaker 3: Absolutely, and at a certain point human nature would dictate, not that we need to get off on this. Human nature would dictate that you do take it for granted at some point, and your mind, your mind simply cannot stay one sharp twenty four hours a day, every single day.
Speaker 2: I say that about the Knight's Watch all the time. I'm like, so, these guys have been standing there for a thousand years waiting for white.
Speaker 1: Wall, but they rotate, right, right.
Speaker 2: But if you've been if you've been rotating for forty years and it's your shift, you're telling me you're going to be locked in after forty years of nothing, that's gonna.
Speaker 1: Out of wind and snow. Eventually they're gonna sneak up on you. I think about that.
Speaker 3: But the thing is, like, they didn't sneak up right right. I mean that we're talking about when the Night King brought the Dragon. I can't Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, that was that was the first time the Knights watched some right.
Speaker 1: I think so the wall fell. Yeah, that's what I'm saying. That was such a great idea.
Speaker 2: You've been waiting, you've been waiting all this time, or even to bring it into like a more scary realistic version. You think TSA is as locked in as they were in October two thousand and one. Of course, not like it is human nature to kind of take the foot off the gas after a while, and you're watching twenty eight years later. I almost wouldn't even mind seeing that element.
Speaker 3: It's not even taking your it's not even taking your foot off the gas. It's just your muscle naturally relaxes. Your foot is not putting the same pressure on. Yeah, and you don't even realize it.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: It was an interesting way to show that there, and it made me think, I'm just like man after all this, to go out just to one random walker, I don't know what to call themself, just use walker, one random walker, rajer, yeah, rager. Just what a way to go? What a way to go?
Speaker 3: Jimmy, Sir, Jimmy, do you think he picked the character, not the character, the role model of Jimmy Seville on purpose because he knew of this, you know, this guy's misdeeds, and he wanted to pick somebody that was so evil that this would be like the walking version of Satan.
Speaker 2: H So I was of the impression that that was supposed to be an alternate reality version of Jimmy Seville. I didn't realize that he was going to be anyone other than that.
Speaker 1: I hold on say that again.
Speaker 2: I'm saying I thought he was Jimmy Seville, just in a B zombie. Oh no, no, I don't. I don't, I don't. That's how I took it. I don't have anything to back that up. I wasn't thinking I don't have it.
Speaker 1: I don't have it.
Speaker 3: I just feel like like he inspired Jimmy Seville, inspired Sir Jimmy.
Speaker 1: Oh thought he was Jimmy Seville. But twenty eight years later, I mean, yeah, no, he couldn't be that young.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I don't. I don't know. I got nothing. I got nothing. That's the way that I took it. And they were just trying to portray that evil again but in a different version, taking advantage of young people. Like it's just you kind of see the one to one parallels there now the final scene, Yeah we got tread lightley here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll go hees. So I was gonna ask you, how surprised were you? A little bit? A little just a little Yeah, A lot of movies go that route.
Speaker 2: I'll say that I think that's the lot of a lot of series go that route. Yes, yes, to the point where it kind of is losing its luster. Not to say that I wouldn't see the third one, but I was like, oh, this feels like the natural progression of things.
Speaker 1: This feels about right all right. So so I knew.
Speaker 3: This happening because of my relentless research of a film before I watch it, okay, And I actually found out because of what kind of what you said about Aaron Taylor Johnson, and I went to see if he was sure listed, and then of course in my exhaustive research of the cast, I phoned out, oh, okay, so we're gonna do this now. One of the great things about that is you forget about it until it actually happens on of course, Oh okay, cool.
Speaker 1: So you're still kind of surprised a little bit.
Speaker 2: And it's a good way to give an ending to a film and still leave me wanting because nothing's worse.
Speaker 1: You're coming back.
Speaker 3: It's it's it's it's one of those things where you understand, this is a series, this is a this is a story of beats and arcs, right, that is that is coming back together for everything you've seen into this next film, not unlike in a much smaller scale of Endgame, where you have all these different stories, Yes, all these different arcs and there we're gonna bring them together here.
Speaker 2: But the difference being though, and I'm not saying that it was bad for this, but it's it's just a different approach. I felt like there was an aura of resolution in the Bone Temple, despite knowing there's still more story. That story that we watched was resolved.
Speaker 1: And I'm not saying that it wasn't.
Speaker 2: Oh no, but I'm saying Infinity War was absolutely not resolved.
Speaker 1: Wait a minute, What the what the hell happened? I was talking?
Speaker 3: I was talking more of Endgame, right, But there is a lot of resolution in that, yes.
Speaker 2: But the cliffhanger one, Like I'm saying this is technically a cliffhanger. This has me saying, oh, well, hell, integrate this.
Speaker 1: I think that.
Speaker 3: I mean, I wouldn't call it a cliff But why didn't you say that final scene two of the characters were on a cliff, I mean, on a quasi cliff. I mean, I at least that's how I took it.
Speaker 2: But like I say that to say, it still feels like they didn't leave there's dangling threads, but I didn't feel like a story was left untold, like and I think there's a really yes, I mean no, there's still more to be told. But I'm but.
Speaker 3: If if if you knew, like if you assume, like if you didn't know about a sequel, you'll be like, yeah, I'm good with I mean, take out that final scene. You're good with resolving like the way that the Bone Temple sort of ended that scene. You're good with the whole story being done.
Speaker 2: I get I guess to a certain you would have had to throw one more scene spike, like finding his dad or something at the end, just to give me a little bit of closure because there is some some vagueness to it from me.
Speaker 3: If you get that, well, I mean again, we don't want to yeah, but I'm just saying like that, there's there's some certain things that, yes, you could have gone a different way.
Speaker 1: By the way, I have the cast up for Bone Temple, not even the next one I have for Bone Temple.
Speaker 3: And the spoiler is I don't think they've casted Bone Temple or the next one.
Speaker 2: Oh sure, probably not. But the Bone Temple cast got that spoiler for you right there front and center. So it's not like, are you on Wikipedia, No, I'm on Google, Like if you're typing Google Bone temple Cast.
Speaker 1: It is the first thing that up, So don't do that, kid. Yeah, it's right there in there. I think we're doing a good job of dancing around. I think we. I think people who have seen these years could probably guess who are talking about too. Yeah, but maybe not. I don't know.
Speaker 2: I have to believe the third one will be the final one, especially with the law of diminishing returns here looking to be the way the second one is trending. I looked at the reviewers. People love this movie like it's ninety two eighty nine on Rotten Tomatoes right now. People really like this movie.
Speaker 3: All right, So I have to bring this up regarding the sequel, and let's see here. The film was announced as part of a plan trilogy. Somebody related to this movie said that the third film would only be produced if audiences go and see the second one, and audiences are not going and seeing the second one.
Speaker 1: However, December of last year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, twenty twenty five, so last month, Sony was moving forward with a potential third installment prior to the film's theatrical release, with x In talks to reprizes roll as X and Alex Garland is writing the script along.
Speaker 1: With this person.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that seems to be the agenda here. I thought it was just so. I think that's the only way you really could have ended it. And hopefully, I'm assuming this goes the way we intended to. This will add some closure, maybe even an end to the entire pandemic in general. Seems to be the way they're kind of gearing up here, But.
Speaker 1: I don't know. It's hard for me to say.
Speaker 2: And I wish I would have listened to our review the first one, because I want to give it the exact same number I gave the first one. I think my gut's telling me like six point five seven. I was gonna say six and a half. Yeah, because I enjoyed it. I wasn't bored.
Speaker 1: I uh.
Speaker 2: And it's definitely it's very thinky at times. There's long stretches of very little dialogue, and you're not gonna be like.
Speaker 1: It's not as dark as the way that you portray it is. It is. I think you're you're a dark soul. Well maybe you're rubbing off on me now, I'm just right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think about I like to think about, like, think of our coworkers, think of like Carly in our in our promotions department, going to see that movie's like, what are we watching right now?
Speaker 1: I don't know if she's I don't know what she likes though, maybe.
Speaker 2: She refuses to watch Together on Hulu, which is a gross movie about couples trying to live together with Dave Franco and Alison Bree.
Speaker 1: It was great. Oh yeah, I thought, no, I did not see that. It's so good.
Speaker 3: I wickied it because I knew I was not going to take the time to see it. And they got sued by somebody because this this guy who's suing them pitched this idea to Frank get out of here years ago, years ago, and they it didn't move forward. And then all of a sudden he sees this come out. Wow, and yeah, I don't know if there's been any resolution.
Speaker 1: You should see if you have Hulu, you should see it.
Speaker 3: I mean, I heard it's good. That would not be something I'm interested in, right, So I'm good, especially considering.
Speaker 2: So the fifteen minutes in the Barn are the entire movie of together.
Speaker 1: That's that's the Okay, look at that.
Speaker 3: I'm sort of if Carly, if that's her reaction to it, that's I would be on that, like, yeah, I don't And she, to me.
Speaker 2: Is more mainstream than what you or were for me, definitely, it seems like to a certain extent you as well.
Speaker 3: Well, this is not meant for mainstream audiences. This is this is meant for the people who loved the first four movies or whatever. Yeah. First, yes, you know, like you don't like, oh, I'm gonna see Bone Collector. Oh, what's bone Collector? I keep calling phone collector bone Temple. Yeah, I'm gonna go see Bone Temple. Oh what's that? Oh it's the fourth movie. And they're like, no, nobody's going to see that. You know, you're you're seeing it because he saw the first, the last one at least at a minimum. Yeah, and probably the other two.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know who's watching the third and fourth in an installment, even though they don't directly connect without having seen the first.
Speaker 1: But what do I know.
Speaker 2: There's some weirdos out there are some weirdos there. Yeah, but we're two of them. Yeah, right, No, that's good. I think we've said everything we need to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm good.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's we touched on the Jimmy's we touched on the ending. I felt like we didn't see a whole lot of character development from Spike, at least compared to what we saw in the first one.
Speaker 1: No, Yeah, but there is a lot.
Speaker 3: There's a bigger story to tell with Kelson and obviously with Sir Jimmy and this one. I mean, those were the stars of this film for sure, and and uh not counting down the days till the next one comes out, Ben, but I definitely will see it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's the best way to describe it. I definitely need some closure to this one here as it stands. And I still don't even know how Walking Dead ends, So that says something about you.
Speaker 1: Don't know how Walking Dead. It's no, I stopped after all the heads. I tell you something, Yeah, I tell you something.
Speaker 3: I was that My television watching life revolved around that show for years and it went off the air what four years ago, probably, I.
Speaker 1: Can't remember how it ended.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was not It was not memorable to me, and there's been so many spinoffs after that that it's just the story.
Speaker 2: Meanwhile, I haven't seen Breaking Bad in over a decade, and I can picture the last twenty minutes of that show pretty christ.
Speaker 3: There's a major difference between those two shows. Uh, Darryl Dixon is getting one final season and then that's it. Okay, I'm hoping Dead City is done here shortly. Yeah, and then I just watched that city is not bad. Dead City's not bad because it's like zombie Apocalypse in New York City.
Speaker 1: Sure, so, yeah, there's a lot more population there.
Speaker 3: There's the guy who played I think it was a guy who played Mallock in Watchmen the movie. Yeah, Mallock was the Ears guy, got it. I think now I'm mixing that up.
Speaker 1: He was in Fear of the Walking Dead.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, that guy Matt something I can't mab. He was a National Lampoon Senior Trip, which is underrad movie. Yeah, he's in Fear the Waking. There's another guy who plays the crow at is his name on on Dead City and he's great. He's been in a bunch of stuff before, a well known actor, and I do believe he is of Eastern European descent.
Speaker 1: He's great.
Speaker 3: There the Dharma is in that too, and I don't know what I think she's done, mostly theater stuff, very compelling character, really cool. And then obviously you have this changing relationship between Megan.
Speaker 1: And Michelle or uh, what's her name, yea, Maggie, which.
Speaker 3: Changes, and then the second season is all about the relationship between Maggie and.
Speaker 1: Herschel her son.
Speaker 3: Oh nice, which and it's totally not what you'd think it's it's worth watching.
Speaker 1: Is it on Netflix? It's a great question. Okay, I'll see if I can. I don't think so. I'm looking.
Speaker 2: I mean, I got a fourteen hour flight on Saturday, so I got some time to.
Speaker 3: No, it's it's I know you can. I know it's obviously on AMC. It's got to be on a streaming service.
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 2: Speaking of a two week hiatus, okay, So so we are not recording now, no new podcast the next two weeks.
Speaker 1: We'll come back February.
Speaker 2: Eleventh, will record twelfth. It'll be posted now. I don't know what you want to do. I have one suggestion, Hey, go ahead. I'm very intrigued by this Chris Pratt Mercy movie.
Speaker 1: Yes, that was one of them. I was going to bring up.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and that is coming out Friday, and I have to believe, even though it's not Marvel, a Chris Pratt movie will last longer than two weeks in theaters. But if it's not, then we got to have a backup play I'm here, which I don't know if you want to share one on the air here, yeah, hit me with it.
Speaker 3: So, okay, So there were several when I was looking through this, okay, as far as as far as.
Speaker 1: Come on, why is this God bless Amica?
Speaker 2: Okay, all right, hold on, he'd never survived through right, where's the Wi fi?
Speaker 1: And exactly? Okay? Which one you just mentioned? Mercy? Mercy? Right? Yeah? Okay, So the other ones I had were.
Speaker 2: Don't let them build the data centers guys while we're looking, because that's we're headed towards mercy if we do that. So, beginning to think he didn't have one.
Speaker 3: Mercy, No, yea, I know I had several. I had several Return to Silent Hill, okayuld you like that? I mean that that to me? This this I mean real.
Speaker 1: The movies never did it for me, The games terrifying, but I'd watch it.
Speaker 3: I mean, well, we don't have to there's other ones. This one, yeah, is the one I was thinking of. Rachel McAdams, Oh help, Yeah.
Speaker 2: Dude, I love This is the first R rated Sam Raimie movie and over two decades, and I love Sam raimi Uh so you could talk. I was actually disappointed that I was leaving because of that.
Speaker 3: Now hold on, that should be the backup because that one doesn't come out till the thirtieth Okay, so mercy and then we'll have time to catch that later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Perfect.
Speaker 3: And then the only other ones I saw I think that I think that was it.
Speaker 2: Actually, yeah, the only other other one I'd consider is Whistle, but that's really not a bulky movie. But the fact that you what you told me about Whistle with the as tech whistle that you blow into it feels like a spin on.
Speaker 3: It seems like, oh, I know the other one, this it comes out, we can we can push it back. There's the Dracula movie with Kalb Yeah Jones, that's coming out, and then The Strangers chapter.
Speaker 2: Three, well yeah, the original, like not chapter one. I mean like the original from two thousand and seven is one of the It's not the scariest movie, but the environment in which I saw. It put the fear of God in me, like it was. It was perfect. So I do have a soft spot for those movies. We can figure it out, Okay, I feel like tentatively Mercy, Mercy and the still in theater.
Speaker 3: And then if it's not, send help will be Yeah, that'll be our backup. And uh, if we do Mercy, will do send.
Speaker 1: Help the follow up that works for me. That's perfect.
Speaker 2: All right, Guys, enjoy the film and we'll be back in a couple of weeks.