Speaker 1: The right quot.
Speaker 2: Dodgers Playoff Baseball is back, and with it an annual postseason tradition.
Speaker 1: Scam is back. Baby.
Speaker 2: This is Saxon Cakes in the a app BA Go with Proway. Dodger legend Steve Sacks is joined by your favorite Dodger pregame host, Tim Kates. If you want to talk Dodgers, get in on the show on eighty six six nine, eighty seven two five seven now. While the Dan Patrick Show streams on the Ihearts radio app. We've been banished to the Internet until this Dodgers playoff run concludes. Here they are broadcasting live on AM five to seven e LA Sports. It's Tim Kates and Steve Sacks.
Speaker 1: Sax and Kates in the AM and it feels so good on this Tuesday morning as the Dodgers have a three zho series lead in this twenty twenty four World Series. Tim Kats, How long was Steve Sacks here on your home of the Dodgers AM five to seventy LA Sports. Dodgers a four to two win last night over the Yankees. Fat Joe couldn't get the Yankee fans excited or fired up, and then the air came out of Yankee Stadium in the first inning thanks to Freddie Freeman and that two run home run. And then when you've got a dog on the mount in Walker Buehler with five shotout innings, and then you open up the kennel and the rest of the dogs from the bullpen come out for the next four innings. The Dodgers get a Game three win, and now they are twenty seven outs away from a World Series championship, the eighth in franchise history. And for this Dodgers team to be the second in the last four years, having won in twenty twenty. Another World Series run for this Dodgers team. I know a lot Dodger fans expected this Dodgers team to beat in this position Saxy, but to be in this dominating position against the Yankees, I mean, we all wanted the East Coast, West Coast Yankees Dodgers all time ever they're meeting. Nineteen eighty one was the last time they squared off. Oh, Aaron, Judge, Soto and Stanton versus Freeman, Bets and Otani. It's been all Dodgers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hey, look head down and just pound, just pound these guys right now, all right, don't don't wake anybody up. We don't want any you know, weird things happening. Nobody go out there in.
Speaker 1: The press and say these guys suck or anything like that.
Speaker 3: Just leave them be and just go do your thing and pound them. I mean, really, do not let this thing come back to Los Angeles. You don't want to go there, Tim, No, just just do what you're doing.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Notice you don't hear anything about you know, any anything's off to the side, that's happening. Robert says, Oh god, he's not the problem, you know. It's just they're just humming right now. And this is a nice place to be, a nice zone to be in right now. Just let it continue, and you know, take this thing back to LA because you're coming back. Why not for a game? What are you coming back for a parade?
Speaker 1: That's it. You want to parade and you want it now, keep it simp Los Angeles and the Dodgers are one win away from having a parade here in southern California. And how sweet it will be him. I want to see that parade.
Speaker 3: It's gonna be really exciting to see the intensity with the Dodger team tonight. You're not gonna see a team that's gonna be laying back and say, well it'll come. You know it's gonna come. We'll get it. You're gonna see them go out and demand it that they win.
Speaker 1: This intensity or pressure on the Dodger team, No, there's pressure.
Speaker 3: No, there's pressure on the Yankees like you've never seen before. Okay, it is just immense.
Speaker 1: I know.
Speaker 3: The other thing, well, the wounded animal with his back filt. Now, this team is, this thing is gouged right now, and the Dodgers have to finish him off.
Speaker 1: I know Aaron Judge can probably squat a lot of weight, but man, the pressure and weight on his shoulders right now in New York, I don't know if it's enough for him to have. No, hey, you know what, I'm not gonna say the Dodgers are fortunate because they created their own fortune. Okay, But the thing is, it would be much tougher for the Dodgers to come in to this series when Aaron Judge was in mid season form just crushing, you know, because he is the crusha and if you bring him in what he does, if he's in that zone, he makes everybody else around him a lot better he really does. You know what, I'm gonna take the other side of this, all this national media saying, where is Aaron Judge. Why isn't Aaron Judge performing? Why isn't Aaron Judge hitting the home runs? Where is Aaron Judges offense? Hey, how about some credit to the Dodger pitching. How about great job Dodger starters wait to outpitch the Yankee starter giving up a one point six two ERA for the first sixteen to two thirteens that they've combined through three games. How about a great job to the Dodgers bullpen and shutting him down.
Speaker 3: Where's the rest of the Yankee team? I mean he's not just there a Judge. I mean where's everybody else? I mean, this is a tough you know, this is a tough a team to face. The starting pitching is coming through. Like you said, the bullpen has already been one of the best bullpens in baseball. So what I got to say to that is they're just coming up against a real juggernaut. They're looking at this thing as saying, man, the nationally had to face these guys all year long. I know we have Interleague, but man, this is something that's really devastating. Yeah, it has been a domination, unbelievable team that all fronts, pitching, bullpen, offense, defense, which you've talked about last hour and again when when Max Monty makeshi play like he did at third base last night, it looks routine. It's it's not five to three put out in your score book there. Just please don't underscore, don't underestimate what he's bringing at third base. I mean, that's a tough position. You got to have a guy over there that can do it, that's dependable. You remember what Greg Nettles did in that you know, the World Series before that, when the Dodgers couldn't get over the hump, it was all about third base in Greg Nettles, that's a very important position, and he's handling it with grace.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And albeit it hasn't had to happen a lot, thankfully, Freddie Freeman is a witch over at first base with that glove. And it's still I'm gonna say it again, it is still a flat out shame that he is not a finalist for a goal glove. That's ridiculous Nationally, that's ridicous. You're telling me he's not one of the best three first baseman defensively in the National League. I can tell you he's the best first baseman of baseball. Yeah, for all the plays that he has had to pick up for Mookie Betts, Max Munty, Chris Taylor, Gavin Logs, Miguel Rojas and everybody has had to play the infield around him. He's had to save their butt all season long at some point or another, and yet he's not considered one of the top three in the National League. Just ask all those infielders about Freddy Freez exactly and they'll tell you, Yeah, it's amazing to have a guy over there that can pick it.
Speaker 3: Unbelievable, and he's so natural at it, you know, I mean, it saves him time after time. So it's it's a huge benefit for the Dodgers. We're gonna get to your phone calls in just a minute. We got a full board of calls, and we love it. Dodger fans, you are fired up, and I love it. I am fired up right there with you because I see the end of the rainbow.
Speaker 1: Here. The pot at the end of the rainbow is a championship trophy with the Dodgers name already starting to be inscribed on it. They've already got the loss in there for Los Angeles.
Speaker 3: I'm wincing when you're saying this, you know, listen, like I like them mentality, I like the forethought and the positivity and all that.
Speaker 1: That's all great and wonderful things. But just temperate until we see what happens after game. After this game, Saxy, this thing is Oh, it's naive e r wow over are you serious? Now? I've got to ask you, what if they come out in the Yankees start shoving tonight and the bullpen's done in an inning and a third, then what are you gonna say? It's time to get to my thumbs, It's time to get to my prolosack, whatever I need to take to get that heartburn, that's not gonna happen. That's not gonna happen. I don't think that's gonna happen. Let's hope not. Let's let's hear from the manager Dave Roberts after the game last Night's certainly happy about where his teams at, but cautiously optimistic at the same time.
Speaker 5: Doc, that couldn't have gone any better for you guys or for show, right, I mean, what was your assessment of how he was able to weather through swinging at the plate and what you saw and all of it.
Speaker 6: I thought he did a really nice job of competing. I don't think that you know, it got any worse obviously, just him in the batter's box starting the game off, getting on base by way of walk, and yeah, I just really appreciate him, you know, posting tonight.
Speaker 7: Dave, what can you say about what Walker did tonight and really what your rotation has done all series.
Speaker 8: When I think some people on the outside considered it maybe a weakness coming into it, Walker was fantastic.
Speaker 6: I think, if you know, if you take out that second inning where we didn't play good defense behind him, he would have thrown up nothing but zero's in the postseason. Tonight, I just thought his stuff was as good as it's been all year. I thought the fastball had life, the cutter was good, the curveball was good. He pitched all quadrants and kept those guys on is, kept Hm at bay. There was no stress. So just to get through five innings the way he threw the baseball, I thought that's all he had. Obviously, there was a little bit of kind of emotions, adrenaline, and I couldn't have asked for anything more from Walker tonight.
Speaker 1: I mean, given all the conversation about your rotation all.
Speaker 9: Postseason, I mean, how did you realistically expect that you'd be getting over eleven innings from your starters, you know, in Games two and three of the series.
Speaker 6: Yeah, you know what, I think that certainly there was a lot said about the rotation, given the injuries that we accrued coming into the postseason, But I think that we just kind of came together collectively feeling the thirteen guys on our roster as far as pitchers, we're going to do a good job of preventing runs and so obviously it doesn't matter, you know how you get them, and we're doing a nice job of kind of piecing it together.
Speaker 5: Though, how important was that sequence with Mookie's catch and then Tao's throw in the next step at.
Speaker 6: Yeah, the the Tao throw was huge. It obviously killed the momentum, and then Mookie's play on the sinking liner from Jazz it just kind of, you know, I thought Walker was starting to feel it a little bit. There were starting to be a little bit more hard contact, so to make a defensive play on a sinking liner and then net play at the home at home play was just huge for all of us.
Speaker 10: Yeah, you're one of the few people on earth who know what it's like to come back from a three to zero deficit.
Speaker 6: Don't talk about it wrong, guy, way too early.
Speaker 10: What do you remember about your mindset going into that, and what maybe did you learn from that that you can take into it now that you're on the other side.
Speaker 6: From the other side, I don't want to divulge any secrets, but from the other side, I just think that we have got to stay focused, stay urgent, I think offensively, to be quite honest, we left a lot of runs out there tonight. Still found a way to win a ball game, and there's just got to be urgency. I just don't want to let these guys up for air.
Speaker 1: All right, there's David Robbers last night. The first thing I took away from that was he was absolutely spot on. Walker Buehler was really good through the three eddies, even though he was going deep into pitch counts. The fourth they started to square him up a little bit. You saw the Stanton double, the left, the hard hit ball by Chisholm and when a starting pitcher all of a sudden, maybe you know, start to give it up a little bit. Dave Roberts said, our defense was there to pick him up. Look I love hearing that. Yes, okay, a couple things about that. They've seen him a couple of times. They get that. Also, Walker Bieler was getting a little bit more ballsy, if you will, to get meaty parts of the plate because he was starting to feel a little bit more. And that's okay, that's okay.
Speaker 3: There's nothing wrong pitching the contact and lots of times you'll see guys that have really good stuff they depend on the fastball.
Speaker 1: Hitters will time it up. And that's why guys like Max Scherzer have led the league and given him home runs, but they give him up when nobody's on. So there's a nuance to that about you know, barreling up anyway quickly. What I want to say about Dave Roberts, I like the urgency fact that he's in there, there's one game to go, and he's still breaking it down, he's still managing the team. He also pointed out that, hey, we won a ball game tonight, but we left a lot of runners on It's a point that you made earlier in the broadcast today, So there is there's still the urgency there, keeping them hungry, pointing out deficiencies that they need to fix, and they're up three to oh. That's a great base to have. Just a couple of other nuggets for you. The World Series hasn't ended in a sweep since twenty twelve, when the Giants beat the Detroit Tigers. The Dodgers have won a best of seven series in a sweep. The last time they did it nineteen sixty three, the Dodgers beating twins the New York Yankees. Oh, the Yankees nineteen sixty three. So in a best of seven series, the team that takes a three to oh series lead has gone on to win the series thirty nine out of forty times, a ninety eight percent clip, including thirty one sweeps. The one time a team down three to OHO came back and won a series in the postseason, Dave Roberts stole a big base for that team. Red Sox two thousand and four, Boston Red Sox against the New York Yankees. I grew up three nothing on the Red Sox in the ALCS. Yeah, that's about one time. That's what all the pundit's reup.
Speaker 3: They're saying about billy ball, which by the way, never works, And they were saying, yeah, well, you know the Red Sox used billy ball and did the work.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had Verteg and Dusts and Pedroia, big Poppy Geez. I had a team like that. I could probably win too. Dave Roberts was on that team. So anyway, let's go to Bob and Covina next up here on a five seventy LA Sports. Thanks for Bob for taking with us on your drive. How you doing today.
Speaker 11: I'm good, but I'm done driving. I'm excited. I've been a Dodger fan almost sixty years. I remember when Steve was a rookie. Anyway, and everything that's been said so far, you said a lot of what I want to say. I'm going to tell you what I wrote on Facebook this morning. I want him to bat around in the first inning, score about five runs. Do not take your foot off the gas and crush the Yankees. Let's sleep them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no doubt. That's a good point, Bob. Thanks Bob, appreciate that. Let's sqeeze in another ones go to Julio La Puente. Julio, you're next up on Saxon Kates and the How you doing.
Speaker 12: Julio doing good?
Speaker 1: Good morning guys.
Speaker 4: A couple of things.
Speaker 12: I love the show. The lady in the first call talking about celebrating. I was six years old when sax and the Dodgers won the World Series, and it's been a lot of heartache, a lot of tough years since eighty eight. We won it in twenty twenty, but now it's time for us to really celebrate. Once we get to his w tonight and you know what, Roberts, Once he wins tonight or tomorrow, whenever it is, it's time to some men. I'm up there with Leasorda and the other managers that you know, he's been doing great. There's a transformation that has been going on with them, and it's great to see.
Speaker 1: No doubt about it. Julio appreciate that. Tommy Losorda love him.
Speaker 13: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Hall of Famer Yo, Yeah. Dodger number two retired Icon, two time Nationallygue Manager of the Year nineteen eight three, nineteen eighty six, two time World Series Champion nineteen eighty one, nineteen eighty eight. If Dave Roberts wins tonight or wins this series, which we expect the Dodgers to do, the ninety eight percent clip behind them in the history of the series, he'll have two World Series championships, just like Tommy Lasorda. Think about four World Series appearances in nine years, gone to the playoffs. In all nine years as a manager of the Dodgers, He's won eight divisional titles in those nine years. That's pretty darn good. Is that Hall of Fame worthy? Yeah, of course that's a hell of a resume. I mean Tommy's got two. Yeah, Tommy's an icon. The heck of a resume. Dave Roberts is about to have too. Yeah, I don't care what people say, like, well, it's the team and it's only the team that does it.
Speaker 3: And you know, it's a thankless job as a manager because you only screw it up. I mean, if you got good players are gonna win whatever. You know what, if he's got the resume, then of course he should go in. Look, Tommy and Dave, lot of differences between the two as far as personality part. And that's really the most important art because look, all the managers and coaches, the x'es and o's. They got that figured out. They know what they know what calls to make pretty much. Managers got his finger to the pulse. He knows what the guys like walking into the locker room. Something that, of course, all the sabermetrics aren't going to tell you. You know, the guy's sick this day, is he's having problems with his family ors how about when Freddy Freeman had his little boy that was sick.
Speaker 1: I mean, the sabermetrics aren't going to tell you those things.
Speaker 3: Dave Roberts gets it now. He may do it in one way and Tommy was another way with all the ra ra right, but nonetheless they get the most out of their players. They understand and and the team goes along. When you're not talking about the manager, that's when the team is doing great.
Speaker 1: Eight six, sixth, ninety seven, two five seventy will come back. We'll get to more of your phone calls. The Dodgers one win away from their eighth World Series championship, their second in the last four years. They've got a commanding three to zero series lead, Game four to night five oh eight. First pitch from Yankees Stadium. We of course you're a home of the Dodgers, AM five seventy LA Sports At sax and Kates and Am. Thanks for being with us Saxon Kate's in the AM on this Tuesday morning, October twenty nine. Thanks for being with us. Thanks for taking us with you as you take the kids to school, as you made the commute to work, as you head into the office. You know you got a lot of choices out there. We appreciate you taking us with you as you make that drive. Saxon, Kates and the AM. Steve Sax, Tim Kates and you. David vat Day joins us. Next hour we heard from Dave Roberts. We heard from Walker Buehler. Coming up, we'll hear from Freddie Freeman and shoey Otani as well. Shoey Otani been very quiet in this World Series, certainly the shoulder injury last night. Do you think it affected him at the plate? He said it didn't. He was over for last night. He got hit by a pitch he walked to lead off the game there in the first inning. What did you see in is it bats? What did you see with him on the base bats? Do you think it was affecting him a lot? Out there that shoulder injury.
Speaker 3: I think he was more in a precautionary mode and you know, on the base holding a holding his elbow so it wouldn't get you know, extended like we talked about with the with doctor Chow and so I think that was what he was doing.
Speaker 1: Mostly.
Speaker 3: I don't think, you know, Showy does have a tendency to to to chase, and you know it's been maybe exploited a little bit in the series because it's natural. There's a little very much of a heightened awareness of what's at stake and whatnot. So maybe there's some of that, But uh yeah, I think it's okay. But I do have a little revelation I wanted to tell you about really quickly because I know we're on a track here.
Speaker 4: Look.
Speaker 1: Look, when he's on first base, he's chatting it up with the guy at first he's got to speak English and Anthony Russo were full on talking about it. I'm thinking, you know what, he can talk a little bit better. Maybe Anthony Ruzzo can speak Japanese. Maybe maybe I don't know, I'm thinking it's a little bit easier to to that. Maybe show Hey knows some English that we don't know about Yeah, I think it's the English of baseball English. But it's a good thing, right, Yeah, it's a good thing. I mean, I I think I look at Shoeotani is hitting two forty five in this series outside the ball he hit off the wall at Dodger Stadium. I can't think of another instance in which it was like shoey Otani putting a stamp on a game. Because it's been Freddy Freeman with the walk off. It's been the pitching, the starting pitching that's been really good that we've talked about. It's been Freddy Freeman again with a home running game too, Freddie Freeman again now with a home running game three last night, Mookie Betts coming through, the Tommy Edmund home run in game two. It's been everybody but show Hey for the first.
Speaker 3: Three games and in some weird way, And I know you're gonna think this is a stupid statement, but you know what, it's a good thing because it's not always going to be show Hey. I'd rather spread it it out. I'd rather spread it up. Tommy Edmonds in there doing it once, he's picking it at third.
Speaker 1: I mean, every but Mookie Betts is having a good The Mookie Bets is laughing at that thing about that slump before you.
Speaker 3: He's like, no problem now, okay, he's killing it right. So it's like that stuff is great? Is it can't be all show? Hey Otani?
Speaker 1: Isn't it better that's been spread out amongst the team?
Speaker 4: Yes?
Speaker 1: Way better? Absolutely, And that would show hey kind of has his moments. Is gonna be way better like tonight. How about a nice bomb to right field a Yankee Stadium could be? How about a nice bat flip from show? Hey O'TOWNI putting an exclamation point on a Dodger World series win eight sixty six ninety seven two five seventy. By the way, our friend Tracy Murray textan and one of if we want a little breakfast this morning, how nice makes your way into the office and take a medium Americano and you got that down for it. I got a thank you, sir, coffee coming our way up. I wasn't too hungry right now. I'm not a big breakfast person. Saxy huge break I mean they brought us those Western bagels yesterday, and you really kicked your way through those bagels. Well I did it, mister bagel or Western bagel. Right, did you see me kick him right in his donut hole? I love it? Did you see that?
Speaker 3: It was a nice yeah, nice straight front kick. Beautiful And you know, the funny thing is because he wanted to just to squelch. But they're not allowed to talk. Oh, so you don't hear a murmur out of those dudes. They're they're way down in the confines of the donut or the bagel, and you don't hear a word from him. I mean I I thumped him pretty good and he was like, you didn't say anything.
Speaker 11: No, it's great.
Speaker 1: It's a little intimidating sitting and across from you here in studio because you're so ripped and so jacked. And you know, now, I'm not ample. I'm just getting by Tim. But you're still a guy who is very active in what you do and in great shape. But I'm not a geriatric yet. I mean, I mean, you're getting close. You're still active. It's like I just got off of the you know, the walker or something. And I don't mean bueler. It's true. I'm not a breakfast guy. I'm not somebody who really eats a lot of breakfast unless you know, it's really thrown out. Let me give you a tip.
Speaker 3: If you eat breakfast, big okay, you got the rest of the day to kind of burn it off. No carbs after twelve, okay, because you want to give at night, No twelve.
Speaker 1: In the afternoon, you can have pasta for lunch. That's great.
Speaker 3: But then later on the day, you know, you start to wean that thing off. A dinner, very small dinner, maybe a little tiny piece of fish, you know, some steam, spinach and uh.
Speaker 1: You know, maybe some iced tea. That's it.
Speaker 3: Maybe a little salad, but not very much at all. And then by the time you go to and don't eat after thirty and then drink water during the day, and.
Speaker 1: You're real fun. No, it's then you're great, that's not that's not that cars afternoon, right, don't eat anything after six thirty. No nothing.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 1: Next thing you're gonna say is don't drink a cup of wine or no any alcohol ar.
Speaker 3: Treak any alcohol at all or something. Never have alcohol. I've never had it, never did it, so and I don't miss it.
Speaker 2: So just do that.
Speaker 11: Are you sure?
Speaker 1: Are you a breakfast guy? Yeah? Big time? Yeah, love it. Stack it on you can have the rest of the day to burn it off.
Speaker 11: Bro.
Speaker 1: How about Tommy Lissorda. Is you at breakfast guy? Oh, Tommy Lessorda. I'll tell you we're talking about Tommy Lasorda Dave Roberts comparing the two. Lasorda is a Hall of Famer, two World Series championships, and so you talk about Here's what Tommy would say. He come in, guys are talking about diets on the team. He says, let me talk to you guys. What I had for for today for breakfast? I had chickteen Chalamanders, forty seven popcorn free tattage, twenty eight tire irons, chickschen galllengs, that swamp water, nineteen b kay put and twelve diet shoutitch and I feel super That was Tommy. That was for breakfast. For breakfast. Oh, he kind of stacked it on in the morning. He could. He could put it down right, for sure. He diet coke guy, Tommy, you know that what a redundancy that is, right, He's gotta have a diet coke. I remember one time we had an off day and Tommy says, look, everybody at Newport Beach at eleven thirty it was an off d It was a team building bonding thing, right, love that. Okay, So we get there and I was one of the first guys there. Tommy's had eleven thirty. He was there already at eleven on the beach with the French speedo on. This was ugly. I mean this, this was ugly. You never believe it. Tim twelve people all of a sudden came out of the bushes from green Peace and tried to roll them back on the water.
Speaker 3: It was frightened to see this. It was just unbelievable. So you guys had a beach day, yeah, and he was there and he was wailing it out right there on the beach all by himself. It's like, God mighty Tommy. But but something else on. You couldn't even see the bathing suit. It was just enveloped.
Speaker 1: So what do you wait, what are you guys doing as a team, Bonnie and you guys laying out? Yes, it was like, you know, we were there till like till twelve to two. It was just a quick way. Are you telling Pedro Degreda to roll over because he's to sunburned on his back or something like? What are you guys doing it was it was just like a little mashball. You know, they had a little you know, nerf ball and you know they were throwing it around. And then it was only like two hours and we left. But it was like a team building thing. But he shows up in this French bikini bathing suit. It's like, you've got to be kidding me, right, I mean he was like the ultimate wearing that thing is the ultimate crackosaurus. I mean, it was just disgusting. It was nothing you want to look at. Do you think Tommy did it just because he was Tommy he didn't care or was it Tommy Lisora thinking I'm gonna be yeah, I'm gonna up. Yeah, he wanted to light up to make fun of me. So they can all have something in common. Exactly, we did a common denomination. We already did things to him that you'd never do to even teammate, but we did him to him. Well, we sent his luggage off to different places, we locked him in his room and spring training. Uh yeah, I mean we we did some things I can't even tell you on the air because it's a family show. But we did think Sam that that were just reprehensible. He sent his luggage to others. He sent it to Hawaii. Yeah, his luggage went to Hawaii when road tripped on no clothes. Yeah, we did some things to him were pretty bad. Obviously he knows that you guys doing. Of course he didn't. He just what guy it was. Yeah, he just didn't know. Did he take it out in the team? Oh? He Sometimes We did things to him that he had to enjoy on the off day. And he came back on the day of that, you know, after an off day with his eyes sunk back in his head as Harris all messed up, and he says, Oh, I get you shuckers. I'll get you guys that did that. We did some bad stuff to him anyway, Oh my god. So yeah, it was fun. Though it's a different time. It was a great time. It was a great time. You go in that clubhouse and it was a you could say, do whatever you wanted. It was open door policy. And if he had if he had a time to rip you, you know, it came down to it, he'd take in the office and he'd rip you bad, right, all fun and game. But he no, and he and he wouldn't do it in front of the press. Though, which was great. But if he had to rip you he would was it a loud yelling or yea, he was like screaming at you. And then afterwards he'd give you a hug and kiss you and say, okay, let's eat. It was over, let's eat, let's eat. Of course it ended with that, and you looked at your watches that I can't eat because after right right, it was fun. Let's go out to the phones eight six six ninety seven two five.
Speaker 8: Wait.
Speaker 1: The Dodgers had a team bonding event in Newport Beach. Yes, who does that, Lasorda, I guess, I mean, I don't know, man. But in the message was like, hey, bring a towel, bring a towel the kids. We're going to have a nice fun time. You know, there was food out there. There was a whole bunch of all the families got to go to families came out.
Speaker 11: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So it was twenty five Dodger players, bring your wife and kids, and it was it was. It was a good time. It was fun. But when I got there early and I saw him out there and then the Green Peace people came up and tried to roll him back in, it was it was crazy. That is awesome, savon rialto You're next up with sax of Kate today. Am I doing?
Speaker 14: Sam Hey? Good morning, How you guys doing fantastic day, Sam so Hey. I wanted to bring up a couple of points about the Dodgers Yankees. You know, I think that Dodgers are really in their heads the mental game. They're winning. They're winning big. I mean all phases they're they're executing, and you know, Dodgers have things that don't go their way, but they just move on. The Yankees. They're sitting there arguing with the umpire, going out in the field, shaking their head. They won't let it go. It's amazing to see. And I had one question for you guys too. I didn't see Kershaw on the benches. He on the benches, he's able to help enjoy He's been around.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he is with the team, Sam, no doubt about it. And he is a big part of this team off the field, even though he can't pitch in this postseason. No doubt Clayton Kershaw's is there in that dugout in the clubhouse as well. He brought the mental part of a series like this sexy and being up three to zero on a team. You know, going into a series, maybe you have a mental advantage. Is there such a thing in professional sports as a baseball player to go into a series with the mental advantage because you're facing the big bad Yankees or on the reverse side, you're facing the big bad Dodgers from La.
Speaker 3: Let me give you another translation for being in their head. It's called matchups. And you see it in other sports. You know, the Lakers would play you know, maybe not the Celtics, but another team, and they couldn't get past them.
Speaker 1: They weren't as good as they were. They just couldn't get past it.
Speaker 3: You're seeing boxing all the time, the top guy gets knocked off by the number five contender because the matchup is not good for the guy on the top. Maybe we're seeing this being revealed to us that the matchup that the Yankees have with the Dodgers is not going good for them. I mean, the way the Dodgers pitch, the way the Yankees hit, not a good matchup for them. And that's probably what we're seeing.
Speaker 1: Well, the starting pitching. A lot of people didn't think the Dodgers were a good matchup against the Yanks because the Yankees offense was gonna take apart this Dodger starting pitching because it's so decimated by injuries, and it's completely flipped the other way. The difference. Dodger starting pitching has been absolutely dominant, more dominant than the Yankees, who have got twelve combined innings from their starters. Last night, Clark Griswold or whatever his name is, Clark Schmidt Mark Schmidt couldn't get out of the third inn twelve innings, six e r A combined in the first three stars. Meanwhile, the Dodgers three starters flirty Yamamoto and last night walk revealer sixteen and two thirds combined inning a sub two er for that six star. I mean, if you on the on set and you said this is what our starter's gonna do for the Dodgers, you'd say game over.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And it's exactly right. It all comes down to pitching, and then you throw the bullpen on top of that.
Speaker 1: Lights out. The dogs are barking down there. I mean, yes, tonight, that that bullpen cage. I mean, that thing is gonna be like a bunch of rabbit dogs down there. They're gonna be shaking that thing. They're all gonna want to come in see.
Speaker 3: If I was on that team, I would have thirteen shirts and that bullpen printed up with their particular size, and I'd have a big junkyard dog in the front of that shirt and that's all it said. You know, this is for the bullpen or whatever, but have a big picture of a dog and have wearing that under the shirt.
Speaker 1: That's cool. The whole Fox. You know, they do the videos going in and out of commercials and it's the players looking at the championship trophy, were throwing the ball up in the air. It's kind of that that b Roll film, you know what I'm talking about. Well, the bullpen guys, I don't know if you've seen it. All the bullpen relievers are together. It's not individual. They're all together in this group shot with the camera looking at them. And they all got that that mask on. I think it's a mister Cartoon mask. It's a it's a I don't know, it's like a Halloween mask they're all wearing. Okay, but it just shows again this group wants to do everything together. It's not about me, it's not about you, it's about we, and they're all doing this Fox media hit together.
Speaker 3: That's great point. And you know the other thing is, how about when the Dodgers really turned a page and they said, look, we want to see somebody. We want to see everybody step over the line of commitment. Everybody gets together for those eight hours during the day when you're not here, and we're going to spend all the time together, playing ping pong, doing all these things and just have a togetherness with this team. That might have been a big turning point for this team to really up the annie and put the singing to a different level.
Speaker 1: It's like going on to Newport Beach together and hanging out on the beach. There you go, Tommy Lasorda. I think part of the thing was you had to get past the visual of Tommy on the beach. That was part of it. Armando and Weshills was waiting patiently on this Tuesday morning. Thank you Armando, Good morning. How you doing today?
Speaker 15: Hey Sexy Kate, how are you guys? Fantastic good I mean I just want to come on real quick and say that this team is so different this year. I mean I'm hearing a lot of great things about how everyone's together, but this team finds a way to win no matter what, even if it's on the offensive side or defensive side. Last night, Tommy had been bunting back to the picture for getting getting Gavin thrown out at home, and then they bounce back the bottom of the extending mookie with that catch and right Sale throwing out Stanton as he's running running the bases like he's going through a home run trot. These guys are just hungry and it's it's great to see, Saxy. Can you explain a little bit about that rule and clear up of about when players blocked the plate or blocked the base.
Speaker 3: Be glad to thanks, Harmondo. So the rule is the way I know it, uh, and it's been a standing rule for a long time, is that the player has to have a clear path to the base. You can't interrupt the players you know, track towards the base. However, if the ball gets there before the player gets there, the the guy that the defender has a chance if he wants to block the player, block him from from trying to you know, slide in. That's a perfectly normal play if the ball gets there first.
Speaker 1: Right now.
Speaker 3: The problem with this is is Mike Soosha put this into vogue at the time is that the player would slide. My social would pounce on him after he gave up and slid, So he's got no more momentum other than, you know, just the force coming in there, but there was no more running. When he left his feet, Socia would pounce and kind of wait for the ball three or four seconds, catch the ball and the tag the guy out and get away with it all the time. That's why Jack Clark hit him with the elbow when he was coming across the home plate and knocked him out. Okay, So the rule being again that if the player's got a clear path to the to the to the plate, and the ball is coming in and the ball beats the player the runner, then you can go ahead and pounce on it. Right, But unless the ball is there, you got to let the player go through. You can't pounce on him. That's the rule, correct. That's going to block the plate. You have to leave a clear lane if you do not have the ball that's waiting for the play at home plate.
Speaker 1: That's correct. Once you have the ball, it's all it's all good. It's all good. And that's what happened last night in that safety squeeze that the Armando was referencing to, and there was some questions to the Dodgers challenged it, saying there was no clear lane. The ball got there first, and that's when I think was Trevino the catcher, Yeah, blocked made a good play. Yeah it was.
Speaker 8: It was.
Speaker 1: It was close, but the ball got there first. Then you can't put the knee down right and the body down in front. I hope that's good for Romando. Yeah, Absolu, that was a great description. Sexy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. Come out. We will hear from Shoeyo Tani. Next hour, we'll hear from Freddy Freeman. They've in vest A joins this and you one line open at eight sixty six nine eight seven two five seventy eight six six nine eighty seven two five seventy. It's Saxon Kate's in the Am. The Dodgers one went away from an eighth World Series championship. We are your home of the Dodgers a five seventy l A Sports, Saxon Kates in the Am on A five seventy LA Sports. Thanks for being with us on this Tuesday morning, October twenty ninth, twenty twenty four Dodgers a four to two win over the New York Yankees last night in Game three of the World Series as the Dodgers now one, went away from their eighth World Series championship. Tonight a bullpen game for the Dodgers. First pitch at five eight from the Gallopin Motors broadcast booth. We, of course, brought to you by Chef Marinito Seasoning, the seasoning partner of the Dodgers. It's World Series time, bring out the chef in you show Tani has been very quiet so far in this World Series, and the Dodgers, despite that, have a three oh series lead. Here's show he last night, after playing with the shoulder injury and talking with the.
Speaker 9: Media, Hey, when you first got hurt, how bad did you think it was? Did you think your season might be over? And then at what point, uh did you did you? Were you confident that you could play in this game?
Speaker 8: Hey?
Speaker 1: No, must have.
Speaker 7: Initially I wasn't really exactly sure. I was really concerned about whether I was safe or out. It was only when I went back inside where we have to figure out what it was. The paint had subsided so I felt pretty good about it.
Speaker 1: Was the shoulder impacting your swing at all? Did you feel it at all when you're at the plate tonight.
Speaker 16: Not taping the site dead, shetd.
Speaker 8: To.
Speaker 7: I taped myself up today, so it did feel different from compared to when I don't tape myself. The last at bat, you know, I felt like, you know, if I took that ball, it would have been a walk. So I still felt like I had a pretty good at that.
Speaker 8: There is there any chance you will need surgery for this when the season is over, Sadayn, I do.
Speaker 7: I haven't had further conversations about h the future plan. I think it's something that's going to happen after this the season is over. Uh, the additional test thing, But in terms of how I feel now, I don't think so.
Speaker 1: All Right, there's last night with his translator Will Yeah, so let's hope, Yeah, let's snow surgery needed. By the way, our buddy doctor David Chow, who was on the show yesterday, text me last night and said, uh, I think our otani analysis is pretty good. I said, that's right, Doc, you were spot on, and he said they challenged him a little normal otani denies he was hit on the foot. Uh so Tani takes it injuries, Oh, TONI takes it. Yeah, yeah, TONI. Last night, his presence alone, I mean he may have got over three at the walk and hit by pitch, but the presence alone with that top spot and what he could do, yes, and the potential there, it's a threat of the hitches.
Speaker 3: It changes the way the pitchers approach, It changes the way they look at the whole lineup as a whole. And remember, Otani's just the leadoff hitter once and then after that you go through that lineup and it's the bottom of that lineup that's going to support and give him the opportunity to really shine. And you see his numbers certainly show that. When there's runners on base and they come to the meaty parts of the plate, he hammers them. And he's been extremely valuable in driving and runs and the bottom of the order has been able to support that for him.
Speaker 1: Last night, the Dodgers deliver with a home run from Freddie Freeman. Mookie Betts delivers with an RBI singles. The Dodgers go on and win it forty two to take Game three. Last night, Naked Long Beaches. Next up here on Saxon Kates in the am. Nick, how you doing.
Speaker 4: I'm doing great, obviously, guys. Lifelong stopt lander, went to Lagoon Beach High School. Love the Dodgers, Saxy watched your whole career. I got two things to say. The first thing has to do with this recipe for a comeback from my Yankee friends. Yankee fan friends. This is what you get to do today about five those steps. Well, first of all, number one, go down three okay, check number two, five oh seven, Turn on your HD, lean back, close your eyes. This isn't going to hurt very much. That's that's your recipe. Okay, now, SAXI, I think you'll know what I'm talking about. My favorite thing growing up playing baseball through high school was, you know, a nine player four bag infield. Okay, and I don't even know if they do that anymore. I certainly don't see it in the major leagues. But when you get through a perfect infield where every cut is made every all the way through the guy bugging, and you run in and bare handed and throw it at first, yeah, a perfect infield was the greatest. It was my favorite thing about baseball. And when you watch that play, that was the most perfect textbook throwout from left field. You see the shortstop going and covering third base, you see Moncy faking the cutoff to hold the runner at first base, and then you see the catcher going up the line and doing that swhite tag. It was just it was so perfect, and it's Baseball is such a beautiful game. And in the second play was the last play of the game where the shortstop came over and he spun. I'm old enough to remember when shortstop spinning was not a thing really until Augie Smith. But he got it and he spun and he threw that ball. Oh, it is so beautiful to watch. But the most beautiful thing are our Dodgers. Baby, let's bring it home.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Nick, great, I'll take it for a second. Great analogy that he made right there. When he's talking about the perfect infield that's infield practice, and the throw from left field was absolutely spot on. We don't see the infield practices anymore, Tim. They do take a lot of ground balls during batting practice, but we don't have an inf we don't have a formal infil practice.
Speaker 1: Which I kind of miss. Yeah, they'll take one hundred round balls before and during VP. But that whole infield outfield, as you talked about, lead up to first pitch, when everybody's there getting ready for first pitch of the game. They they don't do it anymore. Yeah, absolutely right.
Speaker 3: One of the things I want to say that that really infuriates me is when I see them not hit the cutoff man and they just the runner just hit, gets the base hit. The guy's coming around second to third and the runner just keeps running. He doesn't even look up and see if the throw is online. He just keeps running because they're not going to hit the cutoff man. Well, the throw from taoscar was was pitch perfect because you can throw runners out through the cutoff man. You don't have to go over him, you can throw him out through the cutoff man. And that's exactly what he did. That was a dart that he threw nine miles per hour.
Speaker 1: They can now figure out how fast these balls are going from the outfield to home plate, and that was ninety three miles per hour. Diana and Monroevi is next up here on an FI seventy LA Sports Hi Diana.
Speaker 13: Hey, Kate Hey, Saxy Hi Diana, Oh quick, I just want to thank you guys. I'm on my way to pick up my kindergarten class, but I just want to thank you guys for making my mornings. I love hearing your story, Saxy, Thank you. I love our boys. Art one game away from winning the World Series and Saxy, I just love your stories. I tell you that.
Speaker 1: Thanks Diana, and thank you guys. All right, Hey, Diana, Yeah, did you like my Lasorda? Did you like my Lasorda accent? I did?
Speaker 13: Okay, you know, and I specially loved your Kenny g story.
Speaker 1: Diana. So you're a kindergarten teacher, are you?
Speaker 11: Are you?
Speaker 1: Are you raising these kids and teaching them right to be Dodger fans?
Speaker 5: Oh?
Speaker 13: You know this, that's like the number one thing in my classroom. We got the doctor flags going on, We have a chance going on.
Speaker 4: Wow.
Speaker 1: Okay, if a kid dares to wear a Giants jersey, no nap time for that kid that day.
Speaker 13: Right, Oh no, there's no nap time there, Thank you, Diana. All right, guys, have a good watch.
Speaker 3: Just I kind of I kind of embellished a little bit about the Lessorta accent. It was a little a little over the top, but a little bit true. Yeah, what do you got yelling? I'm sure that guy a little kind of came out for his mouth eight six six ninety seven two five seventy. Coming up with David mass joyde Is in thirty minutes, we're gonna hear from Freddy Freeman, who continues to absolutely dominate here in the postseason five straight World Series games, now going back to twenty twenty one with the Atlanta Braves as he hit a home run in can he do it Again?
Speaker 1: Tonight we'll find out Dodgers one win away, nine innings away from another World Series championship. We are your home of the Dodgers, they find seventy el A Sports