Speaker 1: Judy was boring.
Speaker 2: Hello.
Speaker 3: Then Judy discovered chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 4: It's my little escape.
Speaker 1: Now Judy's the life of the party.
Speaker 4: Oh baby, mama is bringing home the bacon.
Speaker 3: WHOA, take it easy, Judy, Jump the chumba life is for everybody. So go to chumpacasino dot com and play over one hundred casino style games. Join today and play for free for your chance to redeem some serious prices.
Speaker 1: Jump chumpacasino dot com.
Speaker 3: Noe's necessary, Bly, We're pomitted by eighteen plus terms and condition to pla.
Speaker 1: See what's every details With.
Speaker 5: The Lucky Land slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 2: It's your captain speaking. We've got clear runway and the weather's five. But we're just gonna circle up here a while and get lucky. Oh no, nothing like that. It's just these cash prizes add up quick. So I suggest you sit back, keep your trade table up right, and start getting lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at Lucky landslops dot com. Are you feeling lucky? No purchase necessary void, We're prohibited by law eighteen plus terms and conditions apply.
Speaker 6: See website for detail.
Speaker 7: Else Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 6: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually, do I have to say?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 6: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really? Yes?
Speaker 1: Excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 9: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 1: Play for free right now? Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 10: No, we're not necessary boid. We're going my low eighteen plus Terms and conditions of plus one say details.
Speaker 5: With Lucky Land Slots, you can get lucky just about anywhere.
Speaker 1: Dearly beloved, we are gathered here today. Has anyone seen the bride and groom?
Speaker 4: Sorry?
Speaker 6: Sorry, we're here.
Speaker 1: We were getting lucky in the limo when we lost track of time.
Speaker 7: No Lucky Land casino with cash prizes that add up quicker than a guess registered.
Speaker 1: But in that case, I pronounce you lucky.
Speaker 5: Play for free at lucky landslots dot com.
Speaker 1: Daily bonuses are waiting.
Speaker 5: No purchase necessary boid. We're prohibited by mock eight teams. Terms and conditions of playing.
Speaker 6: See website for details.
Speaker 8: You are now listening to True Murder, the most shocking killers in true crime history and the authors that have written about them. Gasey Bundy, Dalhmer, The Nightstalker, Dck. Every week another fascinating author talking about the most shocking and infamous killers in true crime history. True Murder with your host, journalist and author Dan Zupanski, Good Evening.
Speaker 11: The Great Ranch along Third Avenue in the sleepy Midwestern town of less than four hundred people was the recurring site of screaming, mad chaos, and horrific domestic violence. Then one day, abusive husband Scott Shanahan was gone. Some thought he packed his bags and left town. Weeks, past months went by, still no sign of the volatile wife beater. But what really happened to him was so shocking and so unbelievable that even grizzled longtime law enforcement officials were gassed by the sight and awful smell. The town wondered why Dixie Shanahan managed to live with her husband's rotting body inside her master bedroom for fourteen months. This fascinating story will leave you asking yourself. One question was the punishment that Dixie received in her case justified. The book that we're profiling this evening is Dixie's Last Stand? Was it Murder or Self Defense? With my special guest, journalist and author John Ferrick. Welcome back to the program, and thank you for agreeed to dis interview John Ferrick.
Speaker 4: Dan, thanks very much for having me back on.
Speaker 11: Very thankful, Thank you very much. We had a great time last time speaking with you. So let's jump right into this. Tell us why how you came to be interested in this story and why you decided to write this book Dixie's last name? What was it about this case that compelled you to write this book?
Speaker 4: Well, one of the things that was kind of interesting too, Dan, just from a timeliness standpoint, I think this was probably my second or a third day. I was a newspaper journalist in Omaha, Nebraska. I wound up being out there for about nine years, but it was actually, I think my second second third day on the job, and a brief story came over the Associated Press wire back at the downtown office, and it was just real short, and it announced that a woman in Defiance, i Iowa had been arrested for murder. But it also pointed out that her husband had apparently been left in the house for more than a year, which was just unbelievable. So that day, myself and a seasoned veteran, a photographer by the name of Rudy Smith who had been at the Omaha newspaper for forty years, we loaded up the photography gear and got our notebooks and made the hour long drive out to Defiance, Iowa. And it just really was an unusual murder case to be covering. I really couldn't recall up at that point in time, really covering an odd murder case such as this in the town of less than four hundred people, in a county of about thirteen thousand people, And it just really was unbelievable. In the first thing that kind of jumped in my mind, uh and a lot of other people was how could how could this have been hidden for for over a year? You know? How is how is Scott Shanahan's body hidden from uh, you know, from the public, just you know, how come nobody knew about this?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 4: And we'll get into this, I'm sure in the show. But but eventually a lot of the peculiarities of the case, but then also other aspects of domestic violence and issues about uh fair and righteous sentencings and actually kind of a forgotten point. But but when I really focused in, it really drove me to kind of write the book as well. Dan was along the lines of I thought this was a very well done small town sheriff's investigation. This was an agency that that only had I think seven or eight full time deputies plus the plus the sheriff, and in this case, the sheriff actually did his own investigations and played a key role in getting to the bottom of things. So so kind of all those things came together, and you know, that's what it's gonna ultimately lead me to write a book on this that came out earlier this year.
Speaker 11: Dan, now tell us, basically, I like to get for people that don't live in this area. I'm not familiar with it and might not even be familiar with the United States so much. But let's get the geographical position in terms of there's Des Moines, which is a place more well known. And you said, like, this is less than four hundred people, but this is about sixty miles outside of Omaha. So give us basically the basic the cities that are bigger that we might note and tell us where this place is and then tell us a little bit more about Harlan, Iowa. So where basically the bigger, the closest, biggest town to in this county.
Speaker 4: So tell asal of that great yeah for people again throughout North America, United States and Canada. Like Dan had mentioned, the two most populated cities, so you know, one is Omaha, Nebraska, which is about an hour to the west of of of Defiance, Iowa, and and Des Moines, which would probably be about two hours to the to the east of of of Defiance, Iowa. And again, Defiance is a little town of about four hundred people in the county Shelby County, Iowa, which had about thirteen thousand people. And this is this is a very agriculture, agriculturally dominated area in the region of Iowa. So a lot of people throughout this region either work in agriculture, work in farming, or have have some type of job that's connected, you know to the agriculture community, you know, economy, while others may work in government sector jobs such as working for the county, county government, county courthouse, or a school teacher or you know, law enforcement jobs and stuff like that. This is an area of the country that really or at least this area here Shelby County and in particular Defiance, you know, we're really trying to trying of maintain status. Quote, there really weren't too many new job opportunities, let alone any companies opening up, so uh, Defiance in particular had had a downtown that really didn't have very much aside from the volunteer fire station, a small bank, and uh you know, a village hall and the clerk's office and one restaurant, uh slash bar that was kind of a you know, tucked in, uh you know, chucked in the community. While Harlan, as you mentioned, Dan was the county seat and Harlan was a still is a very viable, uh strong small town community, has excellent schools, really good sports programs, and really is the economic hub of Shelby County. A town of about five or six thousand with a handful of key I think manufacturing companies and major employers, so really a lot of people throughout the Shelby County area, particularly Defiance. You would often make the twelve or thirteen mile drive either into Harlan and Iowa or also up Highway fifty nine toward Dennis and Iowa, which was about again another eight or nine miles up the road. But really Harlan was the economic base of the county. And Harlan is actually where the Sheriff's office and the City of Harlan police department were located, and that's where all the county government offices, including the courthouse in the jail were located.
Speaker 11: Now, let's talk about scotch hand. He was born in nineteen sixty two, not really a big guy. But tell us a little bit about his as much as you could find you found out about his early life and uh, and tell us what happens according to Harlan Police later Deputy John Kelly. But let's start off with his earliest background and if it's some kind of indication of what later he becomes.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, I'm going off a memory here and uh and I'm Scott was.
Speaker 11: Uh.
Speaker 4: He was short, five foot four, tough kid, tough guy, and was an only child. And his uh, his parents had had moved when he was really little from from I believe Dennison. Yeah, he was born in Dennison and then they moved just right down the road. And uh, in the early nineteen eighties, had built a house in the town of Defiance, Iowa. And it's a nice piece of property. It's a ranch. Uh, it's got a nice big backyard, really nice, nice mature trees now and uh, like I said, it's a it's a it's a nice house. And uh. And this is where he grew up, lived there with his mom and dad, and and really just kind of putted around as he as he grew up, really didn't you know, wasn't very motivated either for career or education. And uh, he really took a liking to uh two automobiles, but really didn't pursue that as a career. And he had worked a handful of different jobs over the years, but uh oftentimes got fired from these jobs. Uh usually related to not showing up for work. So he was not really dependable. And he also wasn't very motivated, you know, to to make something of himself more or less. But but his his family had or they came into a into a garage property that was right across the street. Dan And it's really this garage where he spent the bulk of his time restoring and acquiring older vehicles, a lot of classic cars. And this is kind of where he would just putts around most of his days and just really refurbish these cars, you know, you know, cut them down a little bit, but but spend a lot of his time there. And you know, as his future wife is could eventually talk about and testify, this really wasn't a job or anything where he was making a lot of money. It just really was more or less, you know, his hobby and that really didn't help out, you know, as far as generating income. You know, once he eventually does get married and have children.
Speaker 11: Now, what was his earliest the earliest record of in terms of alcohol and or drug problems be before we talk about just his relationships with women in general, how he was and how he was received by women.
Speaker 4: I know he had a couple of minor skirmishes with the law enforcement, I believe in his uh let's see born sixty two in in his twenties, but nothing that really landed him in in any serious hot water with authorities. Uh. I mean there were there were different reports, like I said, just minor drug use, you know, marijuana, but this is not really hardcore distribution or dealing, you know, I think by in large, like I said, he he came in contact, he interacted with a lot of the local law enforcement officials. And again in a small town, small county, you know, such as Shelby County, you know, wasn't uncommon for the cops to know the locals and vice versa, even if they weren't causing trouble. But but the problems by in large that you know, that he was involved with, you know, prior to his marriage with Dixie. You know, really we're pretty minor. And you know, again didn't amount twenty any significant crime that would have ever you know, put him in jail, you know, a quite along prison. Dan.
Speaker 11: Now, let's talk about Dixie Schreiber. She was born in nineteen sixty seven in Muscatine, Iowa. And her parents are Richard and Darlene, And she's got two brothers and two sisters or part of two brothers and two sisters. And her father dies when she's three, and then a stepfather comes into the scene and he's sexually abusive. So tell us a little bit more about this chaotic family situation that Dixie grew up in.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is actually one of the the family that she came from, you know, is well known nowadays. Unfortunately, more infamous for you know, for its dysfunction and uh, you know, and there was there was a lot of reports, you know, over the years after, uh you know, even after Dixie had had gotten away from this family Dan, but uh, you know, just all kinds of uh you know, unfortunate reports of incest and uh you know, and sexual abuse by by stepfather, you know, toward his uh you know, toward his stepdaughters and stuff. And you know, and as as as Dixie later testified, she you know, she she testified that she she had been a victim, uh you know, as well as uh, her siblings. But uh, it's a it's a it's yeah, it's a rough situation. It's an unfortunate situation and uh and people certainly understood and felt sorry for her. And uh and as a teenager, around fifteen or sixteen, she's going to come to live with Scott Shanahan and his parents Beverly and uh al and uh and and that's it's around that point in time where I think Dixie was fifteen or sixteen, Scot's about five years older. That's where they started dating and became a serious item, you know. Again, at the same point that they're you know, living under the same roof. But it's really, yeah, this house on third third Street or third Avenue in Defiance is where Dixie's going to move and you know, during the nineteen eighties, and it's it's really where she's going to spend the next twenty years or so, you know, of her of her life. No, but like you said, yeah, she came from a tough family.
Speaker 11: Now let's talk about the age that she there's an age difference, and so it's important at this young age. So she's sixteen, Scott is twenty one at this time.
Speaker 4: Correct, And and and he also he's he possesses a very domineering, overbearing personality. But it sounds like that wasn't immediately apparent or at least at first to Dixie. You know, it it may have involved you know, you know, yelling and you know, screaming, you know, you know, kind of more of a domineering personnel, but it wasn't any type of serious, you know, violence at first that eventually perpetuates and becomes a huge issue and a huge factor in you know, the events that unfold over a matter of time. But at first, you know, like like like we pointed out, you know about a five or six year age difference between the two of them, but you know, they got along. You know, they yell at each other, but we're willing to put up with each other. And and I think Dan the fact that Dixie was so young, you know, fifteen or sixteen, she really especially in a real small isolated town like this too. You know, I think she really wasn't exposed you know to other other guys, you know, other potential suitors are just just having an opportunity to even see what else is out there. That's kind of my my take from you know, from studying the case over the years. But uh, but it just it just seems like those two start serious romance, serious relationship with each other while they're very young, while she's very young and he's a little bit older, and and that's really all Dixie is exposed to. And she really just uh, you know, falls head over heels for Scott Shanahan and uh, you know, and uh and and unfortunately it's going to lead to a downward spiral, you know, over over a period of time.
Speaker 11: What we didn't mention, and I think is important to to to sort of understand the character of of uh, Dixie, and that is that in nineteen eighty four she finally broke away from this sexual abuse that was rampant in her family, this continual sexual abuse. So she broke away in nineteen eighty four. But you talk about how she did that, She said she threatened her her father that she was going to go to police, and then the father took off with one of his female companions. So you could see that the father dying at three. She finally breaking away, but in that that she had to actually tell actually threatened to call police, and then her father the solution was to take off with his newest girlfriend.
Speaker 4: Thanks for this function, right right, And and I remember I think they were living right across the state line again close to Omaha, in the small community of Utah On Nebraska, which was a small town of about eleven hundred people just west of Omaha, Nebraska. And I remember it either come out in the trial or in court testimony a later day two but I think Dixie had pointed out that that the family was constantly on the move when she was young, and her belief was that that was often because it was harder for the police to especially the smaller community police to keep tabs on her family, especially her abusive stepfather, and more or less they were always kind of the family of the stepfather always kept one step ahead of the police and the investigators, and especially at that day and age, in that time frame, you know, it was a lot harder for police to make a case and investigate a case. You know, if by the time they're going out to the house, no sooner do they find out that the family had moved sixty miles away. And that seemed to be kind of the events that were unfolding when when Dixie was very young, her father, stepfather, you know, had the family moving around a lot, and you know, Dixie as she got older just was fed up, put the abuse and kind of put her foot down into you know, eventually got out of that house, got away from that environment. But the unfortunate and result is that that's going to lead to you know, bad decisions and you know, and bad, bad, bad events.
Speaker 9: For her.
Speaker 4: Over the course of her adult over the course of her adult life.
Speaker 11: Dan, Now, let's talk about the environment that she's living in for this twenty years. And the parents are Alfesser and Bev and and he's got diabetes and so he's got two legs amputated, and he's legally blind, and she's had a heart attack triple bypass, and she's on an oxygen tank. So tell us about the beginning of this relationship in terms of what Dixie sees in the relationship, and tell us how it in, how it proceeds, and before we talk about the dissent into something a lot different than when it started with. So tell us what it started off with and what was his relationship with with all the people in the home, including Dixie.
Speaker 4: Well, with Dixie's situation, you know, back then, she got along real well with with Al and Bov, especially Bev and you know, and and part of living in this environment too, in this house again, the four of them, Al, Bev and their their child, Scott. But uh, Dixie took it upon herself to really also help care for Bev and and and Al. And then as you pointed out for listeners, Uh, both of them, especially Al, you know, really had some serious serious health issues and uh, you know, and and so so you Dixie kind of take it upon herself to you know, really be the caregiver to help both of them out, you know, whereas Scott is kind of absence or really that's not something that you know, he really took upon himself. Dixie would go, you know and help buy groceries, you know, and help run errands, you know, especially since Al couldn't really get out of the house very much and stuff, and you know, als eventually you know, going to pass away, and uh, there's gonna be a conversation at a later point in time. You know that Dixie's going to really remember as she gets older, you know, and it's a conversation with Bev, you know, along the lines of this, you know, something ever happens to me, you know, I really want you to look after Scott. There was also signs too, though, Dan and supporting to bring this up to for the listeners, where you know, Dixie, you know, had had also observed situations where where Scott had been abusive toward his own mother, and Bev was very embarrassed and ashamed about this, to the point where I know there was such there was an instant where, you know, where she told somebody and I'm going off of memory, so I can't remember if it was Dixie or if it was actually one of the neighbors, but I think it may have been one of the neighbors. But but, but Bevitt had told one of the neighbors that she had fallen off a ladder, you know, while she was you know, doing doing work on the house, when in reality, you know, Scott had had he had most likely punched his mother, gotten angry with her in a fit of rage. So so there were signs of of Scott being abusive toward his own mother, being physically violent toward her when he didn't get his way or or wanted to, you know, wanted something and uh and again in this environment, Dixie was more or less a caregiver, you know four l and uh and bev and uh. You know, really they weren't in the best of health. And it's it's around the early nineteen nineties, I think nineteen ninety four, memory serves, you know, where bev passes away. And now you know both the Scott's parents, you know, are gone, and it's.
Speaker 7: Really Lucky Land Casino asking people what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky.
Speaker 5: Lucky in line at the Delhi, I.
Speaker 6: Guess Ahi in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say yes, you do? In the car before my kid's pta meeting.
Speaker 7: Really yes, excuse me, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 1: I never win? And tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 9: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 10: No, we're just necessary for my long eighteen plus terms conditions plus w severy details.
Speaker 12: You're dedicated to building a bright financial future. Grow your investments with millibanks High Yield Savings account.
Speaker 1: Earn a highly competitive.
Speaker 12: Annual percentage yield with no fees or minimums. Getting started is simple to download the app, link your account and start growing your money. Welcome to a new way to save more for the things that matter most. Welcome to Millibang, visit Milli dot bank or download the Milli app today.
Speaker 4: Just him and Dixie with that house.
Speaker 11: Now, you talked about his career and that really he didn't have much of one and wasn't inclined for steady work, so he tinkered at the garage it was conveniently across the street. And so tell us about how they supported themselves with what income? Where did this income come from?
Speaker 4: Well, they were very fortunate that especially you know, and you know, in those days. And yeah, based on you know, the economy at that point in time. But when when Scott's parents had passed away, Scott had inherited, it was at least one hundred and fifty thousand dollars plus the property. And again that's a very nice ranch right in the community of Defiance. And also they grudge and uh and within a couple of years, the economy was was was very strong. This you know, this uh this mutual fund or stack fund. I can't remember off the top of my head what it was. But but anyway, this this inheritance grew very quickly too, from one hundred and fifty thousand to uh to upwards of one hundred and eighty thousand within a couple of years. And Dixie was also working around this time time frame. Thank Scott had had uh more or less ordered her to work. And uh, you know, she actually she she was a she was a very good employee. She actually worked in uh uh for for a handful of different uh assisted living homes or independent living uh, but senior care. You know, she worked in senior care and provided uh, you know, care and comfort to you know, for the area elderly and so she was working bringing in some money from that job. But really over time though, it's this inheritance stand that that the couple, primarily scot you know, are really gonna kind of become greedy or really just kind of uh make us the focus uh you know of uh, you know, their spending habits and practices you know, from from from there on out. And it's really this you know, this inheritance that they're going to live off of and uh and drain down you know, over a short few years. And that is certainly gonna strain the tensions between the between the couple, I believe.
Speaker 11: Now you get to the point where there is reports that she has said to him, ah, listen, this is just a hobby. You're gonna have to get a job. So that was part of the tension that she had this responsibilit with the children and she want him to find full time employment. And his response was what.
Speaker 4: He just becomes very very angry and threatening toward her, and uh and and uh and I'm trying to remember there's so many different violent episodes stand but uh but uh I I I just know that he screams at her, you know, on various occasions and uh, and and eventually that's gonna become very very very violent. But he just is adamant that uh, you know that he doesn't need a job, and you know, and uh and and just is not going to go out and look for a job, and and and how dare you you know, kind of becomes uh, you know, he just he he just can't accept somebody else criticizing him, let alone suggesting that that he changes ways. And uh, there's gonna be all kinds of situations where you know, he's gonna throw you know, garden tools at her. You know, there's really some violent episodes where you know, he forces her to u take out some concrete actually poured some kind of crete uh sidewalk in front of the house, just to ridicule her when clearly, you know, he would have known how to do this. He sent her to drive around a few of the area towns to find the right concrete mix and then forced her to mix the concrete when she admitted, you know, she clearly didn't know what she was doing. You know, he just he just stood around and you know, smirked, and you know, then you know, just mocked her and humiliated her. And there's gonna be a number of other episodes, you know, where things get much much worse than that, where she's eventually gonna take her down the basement and uh and uh tie her up with with the clothes hanger and leave her down the basement for a couple of days at at at at one point in time, and uh, like I said, it's just really you know, where the verbal abuse really shifts into more physical abuse and it really becomes a lot worse for Dixie over a short period of years, Dan, you talk.
Speaker 11: In the book that is year two thousand and again, a lot of these reports are according to Dixie because she doesn't call police. And the incident did you mention where he drags her downstairs by the hair and leads her down there tied up with a coat hanger behind her back, her hands tied. She doesn't call police, so we're getting these reports from her. And October sixth two thousand, her friend Brenda Johnson called Shelby County Police told them of abuse, but Dixie had some plan to move to Texas. So tell us about this because this is very important to this entire story in the trial too. What happens with this Prince Joseph.
Speaker 4: Well, there have been a handful of times where again and I should just point this out for listeners. Uh, Dixie, Dixie had several family members by this point in time, around two thousand that had moved or or you know, located in uh around just in the state of Texas. And uh and yeah, and one was her sister, Diane, I remember, and uh, and she had gone back a couple of times again, even during this tumultuous relationship, a couple of times. And then I and I may not even gotten into this really in depth in the book, uh, just because again some of these were short trips. But uh, but Dixie did make a couple of trips down to Texas to stay down there for a couple of days and then she would come back. But in this particular episode, the one you're talking about, Dan, she had had confided in her friend Brenda, you know, that she was finally ready and willing to uh, you know, to get out of this relationship with Scott once and for all, and and and and and Brenda wanted to make sure that it happened. She wanted to, you know, yeah, see through just because she knew that especially in a in a situation like this. Uh. You know, oftentimes the the abuser becomes very very overpowering and overbearing. And in the in the victim, in this case, Dixie, Uh, it would not have been a surprise for her to wilt under pressure, or make excuses or just be afraid that something bad would happen if she actually carried through and uh, you know, and and and and actually did move out, pack her bags and you know, and left. So UH on this occasion, Brenda, Brenda goes to the property and uh and and she sees clearly both cars in the driveway, Scott's and Dixie's. And she goes to the door and uh and nobody answers the door. And I think this was the middle of the daytime too, on a weekday. And Brenda at least had the smart the sixth sense or intuition whatever you want to say too to UH to get a hold of UH law enforcement in this case, the Shelby County Sheriff's office. And I know the fellow that's the current sheriff now, Mark Hervey, was one of the responders. And I interviewed him at length of this book. And and and so Mark Mark arrives and I can't remember if another deputy was there as well, but uh, but you know, they tried their best. They tried knocking on the door, and nobody came to the door. They walk around the back, and I think Mark had the smarts to uh to you know, think to himself that people often have keys, you know, uh, sometimes on their light post or you know, or under a matt and uh, you know, he and Brenda, you know, quickly you find found this found this key to the front door. They walk around to the front. Now I want to just give a little background just for listeners, kind of what's going on inside the house. Okay, the drapes are closed. Scott's inside the house with Dixie, and I believe they're two small children at that point in time yet because two thousand, yeah, they would have had two. And Scott's just furious. But he's whispering because he notices a squad car now in his front driveway and he yelled, he whispers watching and they whispers but uh he uh, you know, he turns to Dixie and he's like, did you call the police? And and Astley she didn't, so you know, she's told the truth, you know, but obviously he didn't believe her. Nonetheless, he's hiding her in one of the closets. Uh and uh and I believe the children were they're in the closet or or the bedroom. He can find them as well. Eventually Herbie uh and uh and and and Brenda come around back to the front of the house, you know, and announced their presence and opened the door, and uh, you know, and Scott and uh, Dixie emerged us. You know, Scott, you know, a lot of out of the closet. The two children emerge as well, and Dixie just had both eyes just for here. You know, we're just horribly you know, purple, just black and blue, I should say, but uh, you know, she had clearly been beaten by Scott in the hours uh preceding this, and uh. In that day, the Sheriff's office took took Scott into custody and they charged him with with domestic violence. Again, I'm going off a memory. I think if we're talking two thousand and this would have been his third arrest for domestic violence and uh and which would have been very important because that would have been the one that led to the Class D felony, which was the most severe charge that he had faced up to this point in time related to domestic violence with Dixie. This would have been the charge carried up to five years in prison. And I believe they also charged him as well, you know, with you know, with false imprisonment or a charge you know, basically for holding Dick Dixie captive as well, So there were two charges he based. Dixie's able to get out of the situation. Obviously, skot Get's taken away in handcuffs, you know, driven to the county jail, and Harlan twelve miles away, he's sitting there waiting trial. Dixie does make it down to Texas then, and uh and again, especially for listeners throughout North America, the distance from Iowa to Texas, you know, it's well over a thousand miles. There's a there's a it's a very very long distance to to get there, either by car or by automobile. And that's very important to point out because that distance alone would make it very, very difficult for an abuser, even like Scott Shanahan, to just all of a sudden suddenly show up and harm Dixie, you know, grab her and throw her in the back of his pickup truck and drive all the way back to Iowa, so that that that the distance could and should have been some comfort and reassurance to Dixie. And the fact that the Shelby County County Attorney's office, in concert with the Sheriff's office, you know, really was was was gonna work hard to make sure that this third arrest for domestic violence, the tellnty charge really was going to stick. And if it would stick, in all likelihood, he would have gone to prison, you know, and served at least a handful of years, if not the full five years. Bottom line. That's very important too, because that would have made it easy too for Dixie to get a divorce or just get out of this relationship and you know, and move on and and meet somebody, meet a nice guy, you know, somebody she had never had an opportunity to meet, because you know, she and Scott have been together since she was you know, fifteen or sixteen. Then Dan.
Speaker 11: Now, the thing is, she's got this ideal opportunity to rebuild his life, the support of family, especially with the sister one thousand miles away from and it looks like they're gonna they're very determined to put this guy away for a fair amount of time. So what does Scott do in response to this? What does he do?
Speaker 4: Well, that's kind of in the point where he really kind of tries to become mister lovey dovey and really appealed to Dixie that he's going to become a changed, changed man and that that he's he's really going to settle down these rethought things. You know, he's not going to be you know, he's going to change his old ways and bad ways, bad behavior. I' going off a memory, but I know he mentions things like going to counseling, you know, better's education classes and uh, you know, and he's really going to appeal to her on an emotional standpoint, you know that, uh, you know that really the most important thing for her, according to him, is really to have their family whole whole again, to be intact and and and he's going to uh and also obviously you can't have a family if he's going to be in prison. So so you've got to remember, listeners have to remember he's appealing to her, but in reality he's pushing her he either subconsciously or or just being outright about it. But uh, but nonetheless he's going to appeal to her to the point where she's going to right to the court the h the prosecutor's office and informed them that she does not want to come back to the state of Iowa to testify as their key witness in order to uh, you know, secure a conviction against Scott Shanahan in court. This this domestic bounce is telling the charge at the prosecutor's office, uh, and Susan Christensen, the prosecutor, you know, really we're we're we're hoping to move forward and you know, send Scott to prison. For the prosecutor's offices isn't gonna just immediately listen to Dixie. They're gonna plead with her to the point where, you know, they're going to initially delay the trial. Inn And they're also going to point out that if money is a concern, well they're just gonna point they're they're willing to pay to get Dixie to come back to Iowa, pay her air airfare, hotel, whatever accommodations are necessary, you know, to help just to make sure that she's able to be in court to appear on the witness stand, raise the right hand and promise to tell the truth. So I'll forgot so, but she's not gonna want to have any of that, and uh, it's gonna become a lost cause in a very frustrating case for them, for the county attorney's office, in the in the sheriff's office, and eventually what's gonna happen is without their key witness, they're going to have to drop their the criminal charges against Scott Shanahan. So for context and background for listeners, Scott had already been convicted of two misdemeanor domestic violence charges prior to this, this third charge where he had held his wife captive and you know, left her with you know, black and blue eyes. So so unfortunately, the most serious crime that he commits, the most serious offense that he's arrested for, is the one that that he ultimately gets away with, Scott free. It never goes on his record as far as a conviction, He never does any you know, incarceration as far as the sentence for this crime. Yes, he had been arrested, yes he did, you know sometime in jail awaiting trial. Le but uh, but there was no conviction for this crime and no felony on his record. So he gets released from jail. And this is I think is really even more important for listeners as far as just kind of the string of bad decisions that happened involving Dixie Shanahan. Dixie's gonna soon afterwards make the decision to reunite with Scott, to the point where she doesn't even tell her sister, Diane, you know, that she's going to go back to Iowa and get back together with Scott, And by doing so, she had abandoned she was going to nursing school down in the state of Texas and and pursuing a nursing degree, which which really would have set her up, uh, you know, for for a great and steady career path in in Texas. She's gonna drop that and uh and return in to the state of Iowa and move back to the house on third third Avenue and get back together with with Scott and the two kids. So for Scott, he gets his wife back, who he had abused repeatedly, and he doesn't have an additional conviction on his on his record, and he doesn't go to prison, so he gets everything he wants. And unfortunately for Dixie, you know, the abuse is still going to continue it's only going to intensify, you know, according to all accounts, and from that point forward.
Speaker 11: What happens in terms of the relationship, it's very very important according to her, according to anybody, in terms of addition to the family.
Speaker 4: Well, let's see, I'm there's gonna be a situation where let's see we're talking two thousand and two, where where where Dixie finds out that she's pregnant. Is that the part that you want me to talk about a lot of it, Dan, Yes, yes, okay, good, okay? Yes? And uh and so this I believe was probably unexpected and uh and uh apparently according to Dixie, by all accounts, Scott was just furious, raving, mad, stark mad you know about this, about this news and uh and and just did not want to have this baby. And by all accounts, uh, just become verbally abusive and and and apparently even physically abusive toward Dixie just over this issue that that she was going to go forward and have this child. She was adamant, she absolutely wanted to have the have the have the have the child. And uh and by her, by her, by her account, and uh, we have nothing to uh believe that it's not true, just based on Scott's character and other issues. You know that he absolutely did not want to go forward and have this have this child, and that is going to become kind of a key wedge or a key issue, you know, that's really going to strain the relationship. On top of the fact that that the financial situation for Dixie and Scott and their family is really starting to, uh, you know, put them in a perilous predicament. Comes around the summer of summer months of two thousand and two, you know, right around this time that this uh, this of this news of this pregnancy. Dan.
Speaker 11: Now she's kind of isolated from her family, is she not? And at this time as well, she's not really confiding in her friends about how this relationship has, you know, either you know, improved or not improved when we're talking about Brenda Johnson. But so tell us what she does say though, in terms of the abuse extending to the baby to claim about Scott.
Speaker 4: Well, she's going to claim that that Scott's can eventually uh you know, punch her in the stomach and and you know and hit her, you know again, yelling at her and screaming at her and just telling her that she's not going to have this, this this baby, and uh, uh do you want me just to go keep going forward on that Dan and didn't go into you know, you know, the day you know, of this of this homicide. So again according to Dixie's account, again this would have been very late summer of two thousand and two. But but she had gotten one of the oldest, her oldest children, Zach, you know, got him up for school and uh, you know, getting him ready to get on the school bus. And uh. And the story is that, uh, you know that that the young boy again about seven or eight years old, would have gone into the bedroom to say goodbye to his father, you know, and Scott just kind of rolled over and you know and just you know, continued to sleep. Dixie gets her son, you know, ready for school, and uh, shortly thereafter, Scott wakes up and just kind of a ball of uh you know, fury and rage, I should say, and you know, just angry about you know, you know, kid going off to school. And then a fight develops again over this this pregnancy, and and uh you know, from there, the story, uh, the story is that the fight eventually moved into the garage. You know where where Scott had beaten Dixie punched her repeatedly and uh and eventually gets uh moved back into the house and uh, you know, and that's where Scott apparently grabs a gun, grabs his shotgun, you know, and and and uh kind of gives Dixie the evil eyes and and uh, you know, and and tells her, you know, this day is not over with yet again, according to her her account, he takes the shotgun, walks with it back into his bedroom and uh, and Dixie maintains that this is the time that she's finally gonna call law enforcement. And again for context purposes for listeners, all the while that Dixie had returned to Defiance, Iowa after the charges were dismissed against Scott back in the early part of two thousand and one. There had never been one call to law enforcement for any domestic violence by Dixie. But but we know that there was probably a lot of domestic abuse still going on. And like you pointed out, she was very isolated, unintentionally or intentionally, as far as just her small support network really was not aware, you know, that things were escalating and becoming worse for her. But on this occasion, According to Dixie, she maintains that she made the decision she was going to go back in that bedroom and and.
Speaker 7: Lucky Land Casino, asking people, what's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky?
Speaker 5: Lucky in line at the Delhi I guess.
Speaker 6: Ah, in my dentist's office more than once. Actually do I have to say?
Speaker 8: Yes?
Speaker 1: You do?
Speaker 6: In the car before my kid's PTA meeting?
Speaker 2: Really?
Speaker 1: Yes, excuse me? What's the weirdest place you've gotten lucky? I never went in tell well, there you have it.
Speaker 9: You could get lucky anywhere playing at lucky landslots dot com play for free right now?
Speaker 1: Are you feeling lucky?
Speaker 10: We're not necessary void low eighteen plus terms conditions plus what every edge.
Speaker 4: And use the telephone? And I forgot to point out for listeners. But but earlier when Scott had walked up to her and you know how you know, scowled at her about the shotgun instead, the day isn't over. According to Dixie, Scott had also grabbed a couple of the telephones. You know again, people mostly had landlines at that point in time, really didn't have cell phones as much. So the story of Scott grabbed the cell phone or grabbed the landlines, took him back to the bedroom with him along with the shotgun, and Dixie's gonna maintain that she walked down the hallway, went into the bedroom to use the phone, saw the shotgun by the bed, and thought that Scott was you know, going to uh to shoot her, and that she grabbed the gun and uh, you know, and a moment of heroic self defense, shot Scott uh in fear of her life and thinking about her unborn child and uh and just after that, went retreated back to the living room and just sat in the having room chair, you know, for several hours and just kind of thought to herself, you know, oh my god, what just happened? You know, just kind of this whole set of events just kind of really hit home, you know. Again, That's that Stixie's account of how the day, the morning went and how how things escalated and turned not only violent but but fatal.
Speaker 11: And what does she say that she does with a Scott's body and the room that he has killed in, what does she do? According to her.
Speaker 4: Well, she's gonna maintain that she's going to go into that room I think once or twice that day. And that's pretty much. It's going to be it, but double what she's going to do was after after she shot him, she's going to pull the bed sheets just over his head and uh, and so basically you can't see space and there's just a lump under the bed at that point in time. So she's going to cover them up in the in the in their bedroom in the northeast bedroom of the house of the ranch. And and then there's also gonna be kind of a chest of drawers that Again there's two there's two doors that lead to the bedroom, one you know, being the main door from the from the hallway, the main hallway in the home. But then there's also a second door from the bathroom right over by the by the bedroom. And there's gonna be a chest of drawers that's gonna be placed or a hamper, i should say, placed up against the bathroom door. So in effect, somebody if the family was using the bathroom and tried to open the door and go into the bathroom or go into the bedroom, you know, they would be blocked. It just would be next to impossible unless you're a pro football player to get in there. And the other thing that she's going to do too, dan Is she's going to put down some towels underneath the underneath the door kind of half inch area, you know, on both doors. But she's gonna put some towels down there to make to basically prevent any odors or stench from percolating into the house. And along the lines too, I should point out, but I almost forgot about the windows. But but the window in the back bedroom, you know, she's gonna crank that open, and that's going to be open up pretty much all summer, fall and winter, you know, over the next six to nine months. You know, the back bedroom door is going to be open, the back bed bedroom windows, I should say, it's gonna be wide open. And so she takes these steps and and not only that, then she's eventually gonna move a bunch of boxes, cardboard boxes, and some of these I think came from Christmas gifts that she had bought her children, you know, for for different toys, and I think a TV and a stereo possibly, But anyway, there's gonna be a bunch of children's toys and you know, and I think a cooler, but just all kinds of stuff is going to kind of block the door. The main you know door for the for the for the northeast bedroom that she and Scott had previously shared. But but that's pretty much it. Uh. Once she closes that door, she closes that chapter, you know, o her life as far as just you know, Scott's just remains under the covers to his dead body, you know, hour after hour, day after day, you know, over the course of many, many months. And it's gonna take a while.
Speaker 11: Yeah, let's let's go back now, because part of it is that we don't get all this information at the same time. So unbeknownst to anyone, Scott Shanahan, his parents are dead, he's not really much of a lot of friends or co workers that he's had in this in Harlan or in the small town of Defiance, so he's not reported missing. But what people in this small community notice is that they don't see him in town. They see Dixie in town. Tell us some of the suspicious things that kind of stack up for people that are can't help but observing things in this small town.
Speaker 4: Thanks Dania. That's that's a good point to bring up. So again, in a small town like Defiant Side where everybody kind of knows everybody, but on the other side too, I want to point out, you know, people aren't always overly nosy, and people do keep to themselves. But the thing is, Dixie's going to take a handful of actions that people are going to kind of raise their eyebrow and become a little suspicious self just because they're going to know it's not in Scott's character. And some of those things that she does immediately in the aftermath of his death are selling off putting ads in the newspapers, including the Omaha newspaper, you know, sixty miles away. But she's going to put classified ads in the paper to sell off some of Scott's prized possessions, including a number of these cars and and I can say this, and antique tractors that he had also collected or had on his property, and and a bunch of his tools. Now, some of the people that are going to come to take a look at these vehicles are going to be people that are already familiar a little bit with Scott Shanahan to the point where you know, they're even going to be very reluctant because they know Scott's reputation, you know, and his explosive tendencies. You know, they're going to become a little reluctant, and they tell Dixie that, you know, when Scott comes back, well when they see Scott, you know, they'll just bring him back the vehicle and stuff. And I should point out Dixie would would tell these people that Scott had run off. There were different stories that she gave, but it was kind of all along the lines of that he had run away. You know. One story had him going to a town about fifty or sixty miles away Atlantic, Iowa. Other stories had him in different parts of Iowa, but the story was that he had up and left her and the kids. And again along those lines, some of these people were very reluctant to even want to take his vehicles, thinking he'd be back. But I know in one situation in particular, where Dixie made a comment over at the post office to a fella where again she was willing to let him take one of the farm tractors for nothing, you know, and he was willing to just to put it on his lot, you know, and in the minute he saw Scott return to town, you know, Scott could just gladly come by and take the tractor back, you know, No problems, and Dixie makes a comment just very bold, he's not coming back. And again, at that point in time, the guy wasn't thinking, oh my god, he's probably dead. He's murdered in the back bedroom. She but but as time goes by, in the events unfold, you know, when nobody sees Scott, it's those kinds of comments that people are going to remember. And uh and again there was another fell up that lived over in Council Bluffs, Iowa, which is very close to Omaha. And uh, and he's going to become interested in the classic cars, and he just remembers when he we made the phone call to inquire about the car, you know, just that uh, you know, Dixie was selling these classic cars but really didn't sound like she knew practically anything, you know, about the vehicles and stuff like that. So he was worried that that he was walking into the middle of a you know, of a potential divorce or you know or or you know, jealous situation or a property being repossessed, and just was very reluctant to you know, want to even go up there to defiance that would look at these cars. But you know, eventually he's going to make the drive up there with his kid, and you know they're going to buy one of the cars and some tools for seven or eight hundred bucks. But you know, again it's other people kind of it becomes suspicious of a lot of this stuff too, because they just knew Scott real well, and they knew about the only thing Scott loved in life, or seemed to love in life, was his tools and these cars that he spent all his time refurbishing and restoring. And you know, for his wife Dixie to be just pawning, I don't know, pawning is not the right word, but just to be selling these off one at a time, you know, for some extra money. If Scott supposedly is still around, just did not make very much sense at all to these people. And the most important thing too, that seemed to get overlooked, but Scott's truck was still sitting in his driveway the whole time too, So it begged the question, you know, if Scott did run off, you know, how did he run off? You know, how did he get out of Defiance, Siowa? If his truck was still you know, his brown truck was still sitting in his his blacktop driveway on third third Avenue.
Speaker 11: Now to add to the incredulous, another incredulous. You know a person that should be have some red flags when he talks to Dixie is Jeff Duty. And so tell us who Jeff Duty is and what his relationship becomes with Dixie.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so we Jeff Duty's he's a few years older than than Dixie, memory serves. And he lived in a town about half an hour to forty five minutes away called i to Grove, Iowa. And he had worked at one of the big manufacturing companies, uh in I to grow. But Uh, it's so round the Memorial Day weekend and of two thousand and three, where where Jeff and Dixie uh become acquainted with each other at at a local neighborhood barbecue that was hosted by one of the other neighbors of Dixie and Scott Shanahan their last name with the Carls. But but anyway, Dixie and Jeff Duty hit it off right away, and uh to the point where they've become a very serious couple of serious items, you know from the outset and UH and Jeff would stay at Dixie's house on the weekends pretty much every weekend during the summer of two thousand and three, and I know they go on at least one vacation together too as well. But again, he's staying at the Shanahan home on Third Avenue. And uh, I don't know how to explain this other than he just overlooked or was not inquisitive. Uh, you know, didn't ask the right questions, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary. But uh, but uh, he's staying at the Shanahan house. Meanwhile, Dixie's main bedroom, the master bedroom, is cordoned off and uh, and they're spending their time sleeping on a on a bed in a in a back bedroom, uh, you know, off the off the kitchen. If I'm not mistaken, I can't remember if the real bedroom was kind of a pull up bed. But nonetheless, they're not sleeping in the master bedroom. And his version, his statement later is you know that he just suspected or it was under the impression that that's where all the abuse that happened. And you know, more or less he took Dixie at her word that you know that that's why the room was closed, and and you know, when he respected her privacy and respected her wishes and you know, never was curious and never tried to open the door. And and certainly according to him, he never suspected that Scott Shanahan was dead, you know. And uh, you know, riding away in that under the covers of that back bedroom. It's a peculiar situation, to say the least. But uh, you know, there's there really was never any evidence or it's certainly no proof, you know that somehow he was in on this situation, that he had any knowledge or intimate knowledge, or or any knowledge at all, you know that that Scott's body was being concealed in that back northeast bedroom of the house. And uh, and again the other thing too though, and again when you brought up that point earlier, Dan, about people becoming suspicious and talent about Dixie's actions, I think the fact that she was dating Jeff Duty, you know, bring him to the house, to the Shanahan house, and he was staying there every week, and and people saw his vehicle in the driveway all the time. That in a lot of respects was a huge red flag for some of the folks in the real small town of Defiance, Iowa too, Dan, because people just knew Scott Shanahan so well that they couldn't imagine that somehow he would put up with, you know, his wife tearing on an affair, you know, letting some other man stay at his house, all this wild stuff like that. So the fact that she's dating Jeff Duty after selling off a lot of Scott's tools and his vehicles for extra money, in the fact that nobody saw Scott around town, that's ultimately gonna at least push somebody in the community to make a phone call to the Shelby County Sheriff's office over in harlan And, Iowa, twelve miles away sometime during the summer months of two thousand and three.
Speaker 11: Now, you introduced a character named Gene Kavanaugh, and he has some questions and so he looks at the what the official reports were in the initial statements, and so tell us how he proceeds with this and what does he do to basically reopen this case.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Jean's an old school sheriff too, and uh, you know, just kind of back in the day, you know, where you know, he's not really a political grand scant, grand standard. You know, he's an old fashioned detective and uh and in this case, you know, the call comes to him, and he kind of takes the initiative to to UH not only a sign one of his deputies to do some work, but then Jeans can also do some of the key investigative work himself. Bottom line, he's going to send somebody out to UH to at least ask Dixie basically, what's up, you know, where's Scott at? You know, they've gotten the call that you know, somebody. People haven't seen Scott in town for practically a full year now, and you know, again her story is that he ran off. That Scott ran off and you know, may have gone to Atlantic, Iowa. What Jane's gonna eventually do, though, is he's going to do some legwork and background research too. He's gonna start getting a hold of some of the other area law enforcement departments try to find out if Scott had moved to UH to any of these area towns. He's also gonna check and see if any of those area towns today law enforcement contact with him, had he been stopped for a traffic offense or arrested for anything. Nobody's gonna find anything there. He's gonna do a lot more research than that too. He's gonna see if Scott may have moved to a different state. You know, are there any driver's license records for Scott? The only one that came up with the one he already had a State of Iowa driver's license. Jean's gonna eventually check payroll records, in unemployment records, uh, you know, through different federal databases. Is Scott receiving unemployment somewhere? Did he find a job? So where that's not gonna lead anywhere. There's no proof, there's no indication that Scott's collecting any unemployment or you know, or working in a job where he's uh, you know, paying taxes either. And there's other steps that Jane's gonna take two. But but the long and short of it is that Gene Cavanaugh is not going to find any any paper trail that's gonna lead him to believe that, you know, that there's any activity going out with Scott Shanahan, including his bank account, any credit cards, nothing like that. And that's again gonna lead Gene you know, and his deputies to continue to interview Dixie to try to get to the bottom of things. And uh, and her story is going to deviate a little bit, uh, you know, over time to the point where it's gonna be different versions of the story, and there's gonna be a story she's gonna throw out there, you know, about Scott had you know, found another girlfriend, some heavy set blonde woman that may have come by to pick him up and then dropped him off one time to pick up some of his music CDs. But by and large, you know, from Gene Kavanaugh's standpoint, he had exhausted all the legitimate leads. You know, that Scott may have been a missing person voluntarily, that Scott may have left his wife, you know, and decided to take on, you know, move away and start a new life somewhere else for other reasons. And and really the only thing left really for the Sheriff's office to do was to check the property to see if, by chance, Scott Shanahan was still there. And I remember Sheriff Kavanaugh told me, and I may have put this in the book. I can't remember if I did or not, but I know he did not think that they were going to find anything when they went ahead with the search warrant. He just wasn't expecting to find, you know what. They ultimately found that first. She was around October twentieth of two thousand and three.
Speaker 11: Dan, Now right away she's at a friend's house. But we'll we'll just skip over that she is arrested and she is charged. To tell us what the charges are, what the bail is said at, and how things proceed just right, initially after she is arrested.
Speaker 4: Well, get Dixie is arrested and charged with first degree murder and the bail of memory serves, I think was around one hundred thousand, but ten percent then so, and the town's gonna rally to her defense to to the point where they're gonna take up some good will offerings and you know, and and you know, collection buckets at local tavern and stuff like that. But but she's gonna bail out of jail shortly after being arrested and charged with Scott's Scott's murder and uh and again just based on the based on what the Sheriff's office in the Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, which again is the equivalent of a state the state detective agency, you know, to help out smaller departments if necessary. The Shelby County Share worked in hand in hand with them to help carry out the search warrant that found Scott but but again it's based on the autopsy and based on what they found in the bedroom that left the authorities very convinced. You know that Scott Shnahan died, you know, from an intentional homicide, and that this was not some type of domestic domestic spat. You know that you know where it was a where was a case of self defense.
Speaker 11: Now the thing is to to dispute the claim of self defense. Initially, what you have is the autops So tell us where he was shot in terms of and her We went over the explanation that she again gives. Again, we there's a trial, but let's talk about what the autopsy gleaned in terms of how he was shot and where he was shot in that room. So and then tell us just what she had initially said in her statement as to how it how she feared for her life and it was self defense. Tell us again about what her statement was.
Speaker 4: Right, Well, well, you're getting getting back to the autopsy. Dan, When they take Scat's remains, and there wasn't much left to them, he was down about forty to forty five douns, but there was still a fair amount of flesh there. And and when they took him to the autopsy table and turned of her. They found that there was a shotgun shell lodged in the back of his skull, and you know, so nothing in the front. And ordinarily, obviously listeners would know this. But the self defense situation, you know, just think of a whether it's a gunfight or just a knifing situation. But but but the expectation would be that the person would be wounded, you know, or hurt, you know, on their face, on their skin, not on their backside. And that's true in this situation. So so you have Scott suffering one fatal shotgun blast and it's to the back of his head. And it's also important to point out too that since his body was left in the exact condition that the peerod he was shot in, Scott appeared to be resting comfortably no less at the time that he was shot. He had a pillow, he has head on a pillow he had apparently he slept with a pillow between his legs. Prosecutor point out that that's not that uncommon, but uh he was wearing his box through shorts and uh so the inference to law enforcement and to the crime scene officials, you know was that uh, and again pointing out the fact that the only wound, the mortal wound, was to the back of his head. You know, it was this Scott had been shot from the back, you know, from behind. Somebody basically had sneaked up on him, you know, and shot him from behind and shot him in his sleep. And so again the physical evidence in the crime scene indicated that this was a you know, a homicide where the person was uh, may have been shot while they were sleeping, and that that that it was not a case at least the evidence didn't show that this was a case of self defense. And again, backing up to earlier part of the interview, Dixie's version of events. Her story was that you know that she had gone to that back bedroom to try to retrieve one of her telephones. She was going to call the sheriff's office that morning once and for all, sat up with the abuse that she was enduring through Scott, especially related to this, uh, this third pregnancy that she had experienced, and uh and uh and that uh and that she saw that there was a gun near the bed between Scott and the and the and the dresser, and then she thought that Scott was in the process of lunging for this for the shotgun of his and that she thought to herself that she needed to protect herself and her unborn child. So she quickly grabbed the gun and fired, uh a shot aimlessly, you know, and it happened to hit Scott in the back of his head, and uh, you know, and that was the catastro off the version of events that happened that they coined to her statement, I should say.
Speaker 11: Dan, now she gets a public defender, but she gets two public defenders. And these guys are not rookies. These guys are experienced. There is an incredible amount of public support for her and in the community. And also and there's also a big sentiment against Scott Shanahan. There's just this acknowledgment that he was a bad guy and maybe had it coming to him. Now in light of that sentiment, and of course that sentiment will can lead to a jury having those kinds of feeling as well in a community like this. There was a plea bargain, again a little bit surprising, that was offered through to the attorneys, and as we all know, not taking the advice of your attorneys is usually doesn't work well. To your advantage. So what was the plea bargain four? And why was the plea bargain offered? Do you think?
Speaker 4: Well, the the plea bargain, just to answer your question, Uh, Dan, the plea bargain was to the charge of manslaughter and it would have carried a maximum maximum penalty maximum sentence of of zero to ten years. And in Iowa, oftentimes, if you got the tenure maximum, you would probably you know, be released from custody after serving five to seven years, and maybe even shorter than that. It really would depend on the defendant's behavior and just in how they were adapting to prison life, and and you know, and so on and so forth. So so bottom line, if Dixie would have accepted this plea bargain, and she would have probably been released from custody, you know, after serving five to seven years. And uh, and again the plea bargain was an unusual on one according to UH, you know my conversations and interviews with the UH with the key prosecutor in this case, UH, Charlie Dolman, who was from the Iowa Attorney General's office, and he was kind of the lone wolf on this case because again, small town situation where you get you know, there's very few lawyers, and you know, and everybody, you know kind of knows everybody. But but lawyers had to be careful of conflicts of interest. The the the recently elected prosecutor, Marcus Gross had previously served as a public defender for Scott Shanahan on one of those earlier domestic violence cases that he had pleaded guilty to. So so uh so, Marcus had informed the court that just there was in his best interest in that of the community at large, that he bowed out of the case and not be involved. So that's how Charlie Dolman from SEUSS to the Iowa got involved in the case and handled it himself. But uh but Tholman, you know, Thowman, the prosecutor, had not initially offered Dixie a plea bargain, but he kind of felt prod it pressured would not be the right word. It wasn't pressured, but just kind of prodded by the judge who was an interesting guy, a really likable guy named Charlie Charlie Smith, Judge Charles Smith, and just Smith had had kind of u indicated that, you know, he'd like to at least see, you know, a play bargain offered in this case. And and Tholman took that interpreted that to mean that the judge wand you know, wanted to see the case resolved with a play bargain. And and probably ninety to ninety eight percent, I should say, probably ninety eight percent of all criminal cases do get resolved with a plea bargain and don't go to trial. But so it was not that unexpected for, you know, for a play bargain to be offered. Anyway, Thowman goes ahead, and you know, and and it goes along with this program he had visited with with sheriff, having ahead of time, and also you know Mark Kirby who was the chief deputy and kind of told them what was up. They both were on board with the idea of a plea bargain, thinking that might be a fair waiters all the case and just you know, get it resolved. So Thomen goes ahead, makes this offer, and you know, he never hears back from John the main attorney for Dixie, Greg Stensland. Uh day passes, another day passes, I think by the third day, you know, Thoman starting to scratch his head so he places a phone call, gets a hold of Greg Stensland, you know, and Greg and Fornes and that you know that his client, you know, does not want to accept any plea bargain, you know, and uh, you know, and uh and An again I should point out, yeah, Thoman was the one that had I'm sorry, Greg Stensland, Dixie's attorney was the was the first one that had had made the comment early on in the case saying that, you know that he thought she would be more than willing to you know, plea you know, plea bargain down to manslaughter. But in reality, by the time you know, push came the shove, Dixie was adamantly refused to She hadn'tly refused to accept the plea bargain. So everything was kind of off at that point in time, and she was going to go to trial, you know, on this on this murder charge, and that's kind of the stage that was set. And you're right, she knew what she already had. There was a lot of public support for her. I mean, people in the town and the area had had a lot of them had given given money to help her bail out of jail. As you pointed, out earlier, Scott had very few friends, you know, of all murder victims that I could remember, counting in my last twenty years as a as a as a reporter, and a handful of different states too, Dan, I just can't really nobody else comes to mind of somebody that that just really people by and large just did not miss. So he was unsympathetic, uh, you know, murder victim here. And ordinarily when you have high profile murder cases like this, as the listeners know, you know, you hear about pre trial publicity and then you know, and you know they you know, it's usually the defense that wants to move the trial to a different county, thinking they can't get a fair trial. Well that's the opposite here. Dixie was more than willing to take her chances in her home county, you know, Shelby County, Iowa, and you know, in Picka Jery, you know, amongst her neighbors and you know, and other people throughout the you know, Shelby County area, thinking that they couldn't possibly find her guilty of murder. You know, when the case with the trial and.
Speaker 11: Now she doesn't listen to her attorneys, so the attorneys have these this dilemma where they have an uncooperative client, unrealistic, so there's nothing else to lose. And since it's going to be he said, she said, and he being dead, then she has to take the stand. So we don't have much time, but we can't go through the entire trial her, but really, uh, tell us a little bit about the cross examination and really where the prosecutor really decimated her on the stand with an issue that really she couldn't really answer and really spoke to her lack of credibility.
Speaker 4: Well, and it really was a fascinating trial, but it really did boil down to what was Dixie. How is the jury gonna view Dixie's testimony? Because clearly she took the position of that that this was a justification. She was justified in you know, in committing in fatally wounding her husband. We we we know, the listeners know her version of events. Dolman, in my mind, really reminds me a lot of a Clint East Twit as far as she's not a very you know, louder, you know, overbearing guy, although he is a big guy, Charlie Thumman, the prosecutor, but he's very subtle in his line of questioning, and he was very professional and very courteous to Dixie Shanahan on the stand, but it really worked to his advantage where he was able to convince the twelve jurors that she had helped select that that her version of events just could not vibe with the facts. And he hammered her over and over by pointing out the photos, and he showed the video of the crime scene as far as just how Scott was still in that bed fourteen months after she had shot him, and he looked like he was sleeping in that bed, and and and again he really drove home the fact that you know that her story just couldn't be true, that there's no way that she shot Scott with you know, with his own shotgun, you know, during argument or struggle over the gun, when the wound was to the back of his head. And and I'll point out very quickly one other thing that he had that he had used that really was damning for her. Dixie did not know how to operate weapons. I mean, she testified that she was not familiar with shotguns. The this was I believe a sixteen gage shotgun and the ammunition round that was used to to kill Scott was a twelve gauge round. There was also a twenty gauge round that was jammed, that was stuck in the in the chamber. I believe of this, uh the shotgun, and and and Thowman did a masterful job, as far as you know, showing the jury that Scott Shanahan may have been all kinds of bad things in life, but he knew his cars, and he knew and he knew his weapons, and there was no rhyme or reason for Scott Shanahan to have the wrong ammunition in his own gun. So that spoke to premeditation, and and and and Thowman was able to convince the jury that that it was that loaded that shotgun and she loaded it with the wrong ammunition because she didn't know the ammunition, and you know, and that that's why Scott got shot with a twelve gauge round with a sixteen gage shotgun, and that's why the twenty gauge round was still stuck in that stuck in the in the shotgun. So again, Thomas just really able to hammer home to the jury a very simple point that her version of events just absolutely can't be true. That she's not telling the truth on the witness stand. People may be sympathetic toward her. She may have been a multiple time domestic violence victim. He didn't dispute that, and he stressed that, but his point was that that didn't make it right. That didn't make it right for this to be an intentional homicide and for Dixie to leave Scott's body in the bedroom, you know, and not do anything about it, and let fourteen months pass, you know, while his body's just kind of riding away in that back bedroom.
Speaker 11: He also mentioned too that that because the prosecutor reached out to her, specifically to Dixie, that she had more than ample opportunities to go to police when she was in Texas as well. There he pointed out several things that she couldn't answer to in terms of opportunities to be able to end this rather than what she claimed was this one and only opportunity. And because he lost that, he lunged for her with the with the weapon that she had no she had no choice now with this as well, this story doesn't end in terms of with the trial. She's convicted of second degree murder. Tell us about the sentence, and then again just to add to this story. The story doesn't end there, So tell us about the sentence and then tell us what happens after that.
Speaker 4: Well, this was a situation where where as you said, the jury is going to convict Dixie a second degree murder, and I at that point in time, Iowa, several years earlier, had enacted these very tough, kind of get tough, no nonsense laws, trying to get tougher on crime and violent criminals, but not kind of allowing any metigating factors to get work that worked their way into the case, which certainly was true in this case. And so the judge was was forced to give Dixie just a slat fifty year sentence. So Judge Charles Smith had no opportunity at all to to give her a light sense or even give her a stiffer sentence. And he certainly would have given her a lighter sentence given all that she had been through in life and all the hardships and the abuse that she had gone through. But so the sentencing was horrible. I mean just I don't say horrible, but just it was. It was a waste of time. And everybody in the courtroom pretty much admitted that, including the judge so the judge really felt sorry for her, and he felt she did, you know, deserve to go to prison. He felt the jury's verdict was just, and he told he informed everyone that he was not going to return the verdict, but he did not believe that the sentence was just. And he pointed out that he hoped in the aftermath of Dixie's case that the publicity about it and the high profile nature of it would spark the state of Iowa legislature to reconsider its earlier decision to set these get tough laws, you know, where the judges had absolutely no leeway or wiggleoram in determining a sentence. He had hoped that this case would spark some debate and foster debate and cause them to reconsider make changes. But that never did happen. I mean, there was some debate, but politicians Democrat and Republican you know, never came together, you know, and made any changes to the law. So she went to prison with the standard fifty year sentence. A few years after she was in customer in prison. Though the Iowa governor at that point in time before he left office to uh to join the Barack Obama's Cabinet Secretary Agriculture. But uh, but Tom Wilsk had had had commuted the bottom portion of her sentence, so he didn't commute her sentence. But basically, what this meant was that earlier she had been eligible for parole if she had served thirty five years. Now he made it more or less that after she served ten years in prison, she would become eligible for parole for release every year thereafter. So twenty fourteen was the first year. So last summer was the first year that she was eligible for parole. And uh, and unfortunately for her, just based on her behavior in prison, she had still racked up a lot of violations for for you know, for problems and behavior, and and I think the fact that there have been some turnover too the probo it's very political, and some of the people that were initially on the pro board, you know, were gone. And uh, and by and large this pro board from last year decided just slightly not to grant her parole. She just came up recently, Dan and earlier this earlier this summer, and and her bid was denied. But I want to point this out, this is important. But uh, but it sounds like she was ordered to undergo. Uh, they were gonna have a psychologist do some evaluation, and so she's supposed to come back up. They basically said they'd reevaluate her case in a couple of months, so it'll be interesting. But but by September, you know, we should have word whether or not, you know, they're going to consider, you know, maybe letting her out early, you know, maybe even this year. So she's again she's been in prison now since two thousand and four, so so she's been in the State of Iowa's prison system for eleven years now. So it's pass well now you know that her days, you know, are getting a lot closer to to release actually.
Speaker 11: And what's interesting, uh sort of end note to this as well, is that she stated in that parole bid that she did have prospects for work and she had a home to go back to and a community that was supportive.
Speaker 4: Correct. And I even spoke with Sheriff Kavanaugh just a week or two ago because I'm going to be back in harl And, Iowa. I think it's August six. I'm gonna do two presentations back at the library there, and uh and and uh, Gene and I were talking over the phone, and yeah, he agreed. He thinks that the day is coming that you know that she may get released, and he is, He's repeatedly told me he's like John, She's going to go back to that house. My understanding is Jeff Duty, you know who she eventually did marry after she was charged with or but Uh, my understanding is Jeff Judy is still living in that house. And uh. And by all indications, by all accounts, if Dixie gets released from Iowa prison, whether it's this year, next year, or whenever, but she'll return to Defiance, Iowa and move back to that house. And and I would expect that she would be welcomed or at least accepted by the community. There's still a lot of people that feel that, you know that she served more than enough time now eleven years, uh, you know of prison and uh, and I think a lot of people would uh, you know, would uh would be willing to accept her back into the Defiance, Iowa community.
Speaker 11: Dan, big question, what happened to her children? Where are they now?
Speaker 4: Her children? Uh ultimately wound up with her with one of her sisters down in the state of Texas and Dan, so, so they are my understanding is that they're all still uh living down there. I think her older is eighteen or nineteen years old now, but but yeah, I understanding is that they're continuing continuing to live there, and I'm not exactly sure how much contact she can have with them, you know, given the fact that she's in prison in Iowa and they're down in Texas. I know they still correspond. But again, within shortly after she went to prison, you know, her parental rights you know, were revoked and her children were placed in custody with other family members, and you know, those family members happened to happen to be in the in the state of Texas and in.
Speaker 11: Very interesting I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Dixie's last stand. Was it murder or self defense? Now, for those people that might want to find out more about some of the other true crime offerings that you have, I know you with Wild Blue Press, but tell us about where they might locate you. Do you have a website? Do you do Facebook? Tell us how people might be able to content acting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I try to be very active on social media fronts UH and UH and John Fairrick, so j O H N F E. R. A k dot com is my primary website and keep it updated regularly. And then uh, and then yes, I am the author author, true crime author affiliate with Steve Jackson and in the Wild Blue Press group which has some excellent authors like Kaitlin Rother and Ron Francell and bur Bear and I had a few others and and like I said, so, so I have a page on the Wild Blue Press website as well. And in my most recent book was just released last week, and that's actually a sequel to Bloody Lies, the CSI scandal in the Heartland. So that book is called Body of Proof, Tainted Evidence in the Jessica O'Grady murder question mark. So it's hard to do radio interviews, but you know, sorry just to say it that way, but but I had to plant out the question mark, so listeners will have to make up their minds after reading the book, you know, whether or not there there was evidence that was planted by this infamous CSI in Nebraska that that worked on this very high profile Omaha murder case that involved a beautiful young woman named Jessico Grady who was involved in a relationship with a with a fellow her age named Christopher Edwards. So again those are the primary spots, and people can also follow me on Facebook at true crime author John Berrick Dan.
Speaker 11: One last question, because I'm intrigued here, is that we did interview about Bloody Lies, and so you say this is a sequel, and I really not heard that term in true crime. So tell us a little bit just before we go, what why it's a sequel?
Speaker 4: Yeah, Well, the thing that's uh, And I didn't necessarily plan it out this way, but I d this in the back of my mind. The last few pages of Bloody Lives, I mentioned this, this murder case in Omaha, a very high profile case that had actually happened just three weeks after the farmhouse murders and Murdoch, Nebraska where the stocks were killed in just Go Grady Murder, and I know I even included a photo of a car that suspected blood was found. But the thing about this case was that that Dave Covid becomes the hero. He's he becomes the key law enforcement official, the key testifier for the prosecution's case in what became Nebraska's first no body murder case that went to trial. And the thing was that this case had happened three weeks after the Murdoch murders and also the Brending of Zals murders. So Covid goes to prison for planting evidence in those two prior cases. But yet questions remained, in questions lingered in the wake of his conviction and sentence. Well, what about the Essco Grading murder. You know, was the evidence, all this evidence that he found that helped secure the arrest and prosecution of Christopher Edwards? Was it legitimate or not? And that's probably pretty much the whole point of you know, the key point of my book, Dan, is to really dive into that evidence and also, you know, take a deep look at this case and put it in context.
Speaker 11: Well it sounds great, sounds like an opportunity for me to interview you again about that, So that will be another interesting interview, no doubt. So I want to thank you very much for coming on and talking about Dixie's last end. You have a great evening and hope to talk to you again real soon.
Speaker 4: Thank you great, Thanks again for the opportunity, Dan. I have a great night YouTube.
Speaker 11: Good night, good night.