Speaker 1: Who is excited because this is the next to the last Minnesota Goodbye for the year. Who's excited. We're almost on vacation. We have two more shows and then we're done for the year.
Speaker 2: But you can still listen to our show on the radio during the break.
Speaker 1: Well it's like a best of. Yeah, it's all the best of stuff. So if you turn on the radio, your schedule is going to be different, will be off, but you can listen to some of the best bits from the last year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, exactly, and you should.
Speaker 1: Should you?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Okay? Good? I like the best of because I never go I never ever ever go back and listen to the show. I just never do. I don't know why I don't. I used to when I did a morning show, like when I was younger, I'd like take the tape home. It was a cassette tape and listen to it and like, you know, critique it, and that was probably a good thing. I just don't anymore.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you know, I don't think you need too.
Speaker 1: Okay, good, all right, thanks, Yeah, all right, here we go. This is from Linda. She says, I want to know who's right here. It's an odd story. My son came home and talk to me about this situation. And I thought, all right, do I say something to the teacher? Do I say something to the school? Is it normal for teachers to be on the phone like this? Here's the story. Mister Bob, that's not his real name, but let's say. My daughter had mister Bob's her teacher a couple of years ago in fourth grade. She had shared that the teacher would always be on the phone, and then she saw him swiping sideways where it had an axe or a check mark with a girl's face and name on the screen. Now, I've never been on these dating apps but for movies. I was thinking this is a dating app. This year, my son has mister Bob. Today, my son told me he saw mister Bob on his phone pulling down a screen that had a heart on it, and maybe mister Bob is still looking for somebody. Both kids have shared that mister Bob is quote always on his phone. Now, yes, people can do whatever they want on their phone. I don't care, But during school, my question, isn't normal for teachers to be on their phones this much?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 1: Right? Because kids are pointing out that the teachers are looking for someone. Do I need to say anything. Well, I don't know. It sounds like a dating app. I've never really been on a dating app. Yeah, But is it okay for mister Bob to be on his phone during class? I would say probably no, But I mean, if the kids are doing a test or a reading assignment, they're supposed to reading silently. I think it's okay for the teacher to be on their phone up.
Speaker 3: Front, right, because it's I want to know, like, is he on his phone as he's actively teaching, because then obviously no, he shouldn't be on his phone, but all the kids are on their dang phones, I'm sure. So I feel like him not being able to use his phone during class, especially if it's during like a test or like a you know, a group brainstorming time or whatever. Like, I don't think that's wrong.
Speaker 1: I don't think that there should ever be a time when a kid should see what's on your phone, unless you are showing the kid what's on your phone.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: So in other words, the kids are somehow able to see what mister Bob is doing on his phone, right, which is weird, and I don't think that's good. Yeah, because if you want to show oh, here's a picture of a salamander. Let me pull one up for you really quick, little Gracie right and show you what a salamander looks like. That's one thing. But if she walks by and has a question and he's swiping left and right on whatever, Yeah, I don't think that's right.
Speaker 3: He needs one of those those screens that you can't see from the side, like Vont's screen has.
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, I hate the screen. We try to do things on the show, and Vont has some screen protector thing that basically you can only see what's on the screen if you're directly above it. Yeah, so when we're all trying to like look and like oh we should do this TikTok, and we're looking at Van's phone, we can't see half the screen.
Speaker 3: Whatever that is that like protective screen. He needs one of those, I think.
Speaker 1: Okay, or I would say this, I'm going to go ahead and say that as we we love teachers as a whole, but I'm going to say there are some bad teachers. There are some teachers that probably should not be teaching. And I'm going to guess if you're a teacher, you probably know some teachers that should not be teaching. And it's possible that mister Bob, maybe he is not the best teacher in the world, just like not all of any group are all wonderful. Yea, and maybe he is not. Maybe. Here's here's an idea. Call out bad teachers in your school. If you're a teacher, send me an email and say, yeah, miss Jacobsen down the hall gets high in her car before she comes in to work.
Speaker 2: You you little possible.
Speaker 3: I mean, if you think about all the teachers you've ever had, not every single one of your teachers was a good teacher.
Speaker 2: My first grade teacher sucked.
Speaker 3: Who my first grade teacher?
Speaker 1: Why did they suck?
Speaker 3: She was so mean. She was mean to like absolutely everybody. And she was like super strict too. And I just remember hating going to school in first grade.
Speaker 1: In first grade, that's hard because first grade is like you got to give the kids a lot of leeway because they're still pretty much babies.
Speaker 3: It was weird. She felt like a dictator. I don't know, it was awful.
Speaker 2: We literally didn't learn anything in second or not second, sixth grade. I'm not kidding you. I feel like I skipped fifth to go to seventh because my teacher in sixth grade. He taught us how to play chess, and we played chess at all times. Wow we did I get really good at it? Yes?
Speaker 1: I did.
Speaker 2: Did I win a trophy at one point because we had tournaments all the time? I sure did. But did I learn anything in that class? No, I didn't. I only learned when we switched classes and I got science with a different teacher. That was like the only time I learned.
Speaker 1: That's really interesting. I had some bad teachers over the years, Miss Thomas or my second grade teacher. For whatever reason, she just did not like kids, and she didn't like me. And I remember we had a Christmas project one time where we had it's hard to explain, but everybody else's project was going great and I didn't get it. I didn't know, and I remember crying and being frustrated, and she made fun of my project in front of the entire class. Gosh, just not a good person. But then I had some great teachers as well. But if you are a teacher or a parent, call out this could be fun gossipy. Don't tell me who they are where they work, but just you know, give them a fake name and say yeah, there's a teacher at my school that they ex yz. I would love to hear about that one. So the little topic for discussion next one from LEXI. I think smoking weed would definitely help you guys with coming up with ideas for the show. However, it's none of you smoke weed. I will do it for you. Here I am, and I've come up with a segment idea. Here we go. My idea is called did you know this is actually made for that? This came to me listening to Today's podcast Wednesday and an email brought up people with the baby on board stickers and how they drive slowly. Here is where this segment comes in. Did you know those baby on board signs are actually made to alert emergency personnel in the event of some sort of accident. People think the signs are so people drive carefully around them, but that is not the case. I'm going to go ahead and I'm going to say I don't agree. I don't believe that because I have been around long enough since the invention of the baby on board signs. They used to be a little yellow hangy thing that would hang in your back window. And I can't imagine if there is an accident that the paramedics or the cops would not go, Well, let's look and see if there's anybody else inside.
Speaker 3: Sure, yeah, Or do they have a sign on their window that says to be on board?
Speaker 2: Oh yeah for that first.
Speaker 1: Oh wait a second, the car's on fire. There's a baby on board side. So I don't know that that's true. I think I remember people buying them because they wanted people to drive carefully around them. But you know what, maybe what's your source? I want to see your source as.
Speaker 2: I'm looking it up right now, Alexi, you are incorrect.
Speaker 3: It said.
Speaker 2: The purpose is to alert other drivers that a baby is in the car, and to potentially encourage them to slow down or be more cautious. The idea came from some real estate investor who was driving his nephew home for the first time and felt the stress of other drivers cutting him off in tailgates. Oh so then he created that says while the signs are intended to alert other drivers, they are not intended to be a warning to emergency personnel.
Speaker 1: Oh so it's specifically So here's kind of an urban legend, LEXI that you bought into and don't worry about it. You gave us a great thing to talk about, and we've all fallen for urban legends. There was one when I was a kid, and it terrified me. There was a story that is a Citadel Mall in Colorado Springs, the big shopping mall, when I was a kid, that this little boy I went into the bathroom like eight years old, and two adults held him down and cut his penis off.
Speaker 3: Oh my god.
Speaker 1: And it was Yeah, it was horrible. It was horrible. And so me and my friend were about ten years old and we were terrified of that happening to us. Yeah, And I remember I went to the movie there one time and I had to pee in the middle of the movie, and I went to the bathroom really quick, and I peed and I ran out because I was worried that two guys would be lurking there, ready to hold me down and cut my penis off.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well, nothing like that ever happened. There's no record of it ever happening in Colorado Springs or probably anywhere else. But I looked it up on like an urban legends website, and that was definitely an urban legend, in one of those that you know as a kid, I totally believed.
Speaker 3: They always said that when if you stuck your head out the bus window, there was an urban legend of a kid doing that and his head came off or something. So that's how they got you to never put your head out the bus window.
Speaker 1: There. Yeah, there was actually a story here in the early nineties of a kid on a party bus and he stuck his head up through the air conditioning vent whatever and it decapitated him when he went under a bridge.
Speaker 3: And that's real.
Speaker 1: That is real.
Speaker 2: I thought that was a real story, real story.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, well yeah they told that story.
Speaker 1: I believe that I do it on a school bus. Well that's a good idea, don't put your head out the window in the school bus.
Speaker 2: But then we were all like terrified.
Speaker 3: Even if we were like forehead was near the window, would be like get your head away for the oh god.
Speaker 1: Another one that Lexi says, did you know the left lane is actually made for faster traffic? Yeah? I did know that, Lexi.
Speaker 2: Are you super high when you sent us this? If so, I love it. I don't know.
Speaker 1: So. Lexi's idea is basically, people call in about an object that is commonly misused and explain the actual purpose for the object. I hope that makes sense. If it doesn't, then just pretend I never brought it up. Laugh emoji, have a merry Christmas and relaxing time off, y'all. LEXI, thank you very much. That was a lot of fun.
Speaker 2: LEXI sounds a lot like Andrew my boyfriend around like nine pm at night, where all kinds of things start coming out of his mouth, like where is your source?
Speaker 1: Yeah, next one, don't say my name? All right? Want to reach out and ask how often you guys do sound effect theater on the show. I think it's so great, So if you do that again soon, that would be fan fucking tastic. Okay, sure, here's a random question since I'm already emailing. I remember a while back, y'all talking about initiating the lovin' and Dave said something about how it's most often always the guys initiating things. That's my experience. It depends on your partner at the time, because I've actually definitely been with people who will initiate the lovin'. But Susan does not. She does not, never has, never will. It's just and I don't know if she's got some deep seated fear of rejection. You know what I mean, because it would be really painful to like go up to your partner and be like, hey, you know what I'd like to do. I'd like to go upstairs and whatever do it, and then have the other person go, oh god, not now. I mean think about how how hurtful that would be. Sure, So maybe Susan has something in her that makes her think that I would reject that. Sure, I don't know. Anyway, she says, I was wondering what Dave and the Gang suggests for a woman who want to initiate something with their partner. Sometimes I feel like it's because we don't know how. Also as wondering if anybody had any awkward or funny stories about someone trying to initiate the lovin' or even just hit on them. I'll come back to that in a second. I think that just trying just walking up to your guy or your partner and just doing like the hey, you know, like I don't know, like you want to you want to go upstairs and bang?
Speaker 3: You would say you would walk up to somebody just say that.
Speaker 1: A woman could come up to maybe what do you say to any Hell?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I've said that to Andrew before, because your relationship changes over time, like at the beginning, it's like you're all over each other, so sex just naturally happens, and eventually it's like you legitimately just say, hey, do you want to have sex right now? Because that's just like timing. You're not all over each other like you used to be and stuff. So it's yeah, I definitely have done that with Andrew.
Speaker 1: So then you put your he puts his phone down, you go upstairs, you brush your teeth, you meet in the bed, something kind of like that, right, Yeah, But I think that you can just go up and ask and say, or like hey, after we walk the dog, do you want to go upstairs and bang? Or you could be like, you know, kind of like seductive and like put on something sexy or nothing at all and then curl up next to him on the couch and you know, start initiating things. There's different ways to do it, but I think that guys definitely would appreciate that as if.
Speaker 3: Is he sitting on the couch, If so, go and sit on his lap. Done.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was gonna say you can just you don't have to say do you want to have sex. You could probably just like roll up on him and you'll know it's all like Donkey Kong, just on his lap.
Speaker 1: Have you ever had somebody try to she ate the love and her hit on you, and it was like, wait what?
Speaker 3: I had a list of people who try to hit on me, and I'm like, go, I leave me alone.
Speaker 1: So seriously, all the time, I think as a guy, I probably have, but I don't remember it, like, oh, I do remember this. This was kind of weird. I went to a friend's house back when I was twenty one or twenty two, and we were going to watch a movie and I fell asleep on the couch and I woke up and she was sitting on the couch wearing lingerie, and clearly she wanted to have sex. And I did not want to have sex with her. I was not attracted to her. Believe it or not, I did have standards, and I was like, oh, it's getting real late, I better go. And I remember the look on her face, just like kind of embarrassment and surprise and a little bit of humiliation. But I didn't want to have sex. Obviously she did, sure, and I didn't want to. And then there was one other, and I'll just this is kind of funny. There was a girl at my house I always had a crush on and it was my apartment, my first apartment, and we ended up on my waterbed and I had a waterbed. Of course I did come on he did, Yeah, of course I did. And she was beautiful and she was like I always had a crush on her, and she's naked on my waterbed and she said I want you, and I didn't know what that meant. I thought she meant I want you, I want you for my boyfriend. Oh, and I respected her too much to have sex with her because to me, she was a goddess, so I didn't try to have sex with her. There she was writhing on my waterbed, going I want you, and I thought she meant I want to be your boyfriend your girlfriend. So I'm like, I think I probably said I want you to and nothing happened. So we got dressed and that was it, and I missed my chance. Any other stories anybody else?
Speaker 2: I mean, I have some funny stories, probably not about initiating sex and denying it, but like I remember being out one time at the Loop and this guy was chatting with me at the bar and then he was like starting to hit on me. But I think Andrew and I had been dating at the time, and so we were dating, and so I was like, yeah, I got a boyfriend. And then he realized who I was, and he told me that his baby mama told him he should try to get with me, and so like, like she knew me from the morning show, okay, and then he was like, man, he's like, I'm bummed you have a boyfriend now, because literally my baby mom was like, I think you and Jenny from the Dave Rideshow would really hit it off.
Speaker 1: And I love that.
Speaker 2: You and your baby mama have that kind of ships that I thought that that was a funny one.
Speaker 1: That is an unusual one, for sure. I will only go back to say that guys will love it if you try to initiate sex.
Speaker 2: Just sit on his lap.
Speaker 1: I mean, you can try that straddle lap, straddle his lap, but if he's playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare and you're straddling his lap, it probably ain't gonna work. It'd be like, bitch, yeah, I'm playing Call of Duty Modern Warfare.
Speaker 3: And with my bros right now.
Speaker 1: One Needter writes in and This is a rant that is written, not recorded. I went out and bought a box of black Lake text gloves, and I got one size smaller to make sure there was a tight fit. I am preparing to slap the shit out of every person at worked. That ends the conversation soon or next week with see you next year? Fuck? When will people get over saying that? The first couple of thousand times people said it, it was okay, Hahi, I get it. It's old. Now stop saying it. Okay, I'm done, love y'all, Merry Christmas. I missed the point of your what the glove? The lakes glove?
Speaker 3: Maybe she got the glove so she could slap the people?
Speaker 1: Is that what it is? Okay? Now it makes sense. Okay, I think it's funny when you say see you next year.
Speaker 3: You would think it's funny when I.
Speaker 1: Leave here tomorrow and I won't see you guys until January second. You bet your fat ass. I'm gonna say see you next year. Of course I will.
Speaker 2: My bit, I kind of like saying it too sometimes.
Speaker 1: Good bit. Let's see if I have another one? Not really all right? This is one that I will go ahead and put on here. It says, we were talking about wedding speeches and reminded me of a story. Rewind to about two thousand and eight. A group of about twelve of friends would get together once a month for dinner at a restaurant new to us. Tried a lot of cool new places, and with a group of twelve for more. The service was sometimes not always the best, but we understood we've been in the industry before, so we get it well. One meet up, the server comes up to our table, props a leg up on one of the barstools, pulls out an iPhone from his apron, and starts typing away. He barely looked up from his phone to greet our party. We were all appalled the restaurants we were worked at didn't even allow phones on the floor, let alone while greeting a table rude. None of us mentioned it out loud, but we all mentioned plenty of exchange, plenty of dirty, judgmental looks to each other. We carry on, ordering a slew of craft beers from the server while he continues to text away and go so uh huh uh huh. Then the quote really super rude. Server turns the iPhone around and shows us all of our drinks orders nicely organized for each stool around our bar top table. Oh my gosh, egg on our face. The guy wasn't being rude. He was doing his job.
Speaker 2: But I was just going to say. I was like, he must have been like taking orders on his phone. But on his phone, that's weird. They have a little machine thing.
Speaker 1: Maybe he looked at the big table and thought I got to write these down because some servers. We've done contests like this where servers will come up and say, what can I take your order with no pad, no order thing, and it's like they're amazing at doing it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean we've done the contest before, and I don't know. I've worked in the industry many, many years, and I just feel like there's certain people who can do it and certain who try to do it, and they should never do it.
Speaker 1: Yep, which one were you?
Speaker 2: I was in the in between. If it was a party of five or less, I could do it. If it was a party of six or more, I couldn't. And it depended on the day. Like I got you super busy. I wasn't fucking around trying to memorize stuff. I was writing shit down because I didn't have time to screw up in order, you know, so usually I wrote everything down.
Speaker 1: She concludes with, So now I have to ask, do we think electronic devices are taking away from our service industry nowadays? Have a great day from Tammy. Not that I've noticed. No, I will tell you this again. This sounds like I'm doing an ad for Top Golf. We were at Top Golf last night and we had the best server. She was like. First of all, she like walked us out to our little tea box. She told us what games are recommended, and what you know, blah blah blah, if you need anything whatever, And she checked back a couple of times before we were ready, and she was prompt with the food, and she was great and friendly. And I tipped her. I think it was one hundred dollars bill and I had a gift card, so now it's fifty dollars. But I tipped her twenty five dollars on the one hundred dollar bill. Yeah, because she deserved it, because she was great.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, But I.
Speaker 1: Don't know what my point isn't saying that but just shout out to great.
Speaker 3: I feel like the only time I think like tech is taking over and kind of like ruining the experience is when you go to places and you only order off of like a tablet at your table and you don't talk to anybody.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's I kind of agree with that. I think that that takes away from the service stuff. I will say that maybe I saw this, they're taking away the wellness charges that they put it's no longer allowed.
Speaker 1: Oh, tell me about that. I don't know about it. What about it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean just it's a law in Minnesota that's going to be put in place in twenty twenty six because ever since COVID there's all these like random charges and stuff. People will still be allowed to add the tip to the bill, but in twenty twenty or not twenty twenty six, I think next year twenty five. Yeah, they aren't allowed to do wellness charges anymore, which was basically to help people get health insurance and stuff. I don't know. I think that there's a lot of speculation as to how much money of that is going to servers to help them with that.
Speaker 3: Yea.
Speaker 2: I think there's a lot of people that are like, who's actually seeing this money.
Speaker 1: That's a good point. Yeah, And I don't think that that. I mean, if you want to just pay your cut to pay them more or charge more for food, then I guess that's a way to do it. But you know, charging is kind of like, hey, pay my employees insurance was a little bit weird and apparently illegal or they're making it illegal.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'm not entirely sure of the reasoning behind it, but I will say as a former server, I'm kind of excited to see that because, like, I don't know, we all got by when I was as a.
Speaker 1: Server without that, but well, now you're becoming an old lady going back.
Speaker 2: But I have to imagine that that stuff affected server's tips in a negative way.
Speaker 3: Oh.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So that's why it's like, as a server, you have to pick and choose your battles. Do you want a good tip or do you want to risk pissing people off because there's an extra charge on your bill?
Speaker 1: And that is it for the Minnesota Goodbye one more before Christmas, and if you want to be on that one, send an email to Ryan's show at kadiwb dot com. Thanks for listening.