Speaker 1: In nineteen ninety six, fifteen year old Danielle Houchins left her Montana home for a quick solo trip to a local fishing spot, but she never came back. What began as a missing person search quickly unraveled into a decade's long mystery, one that haunted her family and the community. Then, nearly twenty eight years later, thanks to breakthroughs in new forensic science and one sister's unshakable resolve, the truth behind Danny's tragic death was finally uncovered. This is the story of a cold case turned solved. This is the story of Danielle Houchin's.
Speaker 2: My name's Ben, I'm Nicole, and you're listening to Wicked and Grim, a true crime podcasting.
Speaker 1: The following body intended more Maure audience listener.
Speaker 2: Happy Friday, Happy Friday, welcome back. We uh we got all festive up in our tiny home this week.
Speaker 1: We did. We got wreaths on the door, we got some Christmas decorations up, and even are many tiny Christmas trees.
Speaker 2: We went even smaller than usual. We did probably like half the size of what we usually do. Yeah, so it's teeny tiny.
Speaker 1: We went from like a foot and a half to like a foot. It's really teeny tiny, but we had some from an eggnong with it when we were decorating and everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was good, Yeah, it was. It's been a good week. I hope that you guys have all had a good week too.
Speaker 1: I hope so. And remember like, don't don't let consumerism overtake your Christmas. That's not what it's about, right, It's about just enjoying the time and being with those people around you, even if that's hey, your dogs, get dogs. That's what we got sitting next to us, and we're going to be enjoying that time with our dogs come Christmas morning, and of course there's going to be the festivities like Christmas Morning.
Speaker 2: The moss. It was also Spotify rap this week. It was so that was That's always. I don't know, I love that week. It's so cool having so many people share just I don't know that they're in the one percent or the ten percent or whatever. I love seeing it.
Speaker 1: And this year is I think the first year we are unable to actually share everyone who shared their Spotify raps. There's just so many of you that are tagging us, messaging us like showcasing the Spotify raps. We got so far behind, we just we can't share them all. But in the coming weeks we are going to be trying to make sure that we sort through and go and check out everyone who has message just and everything. So shout out to you, thank you and sorry if we were unable to share yours, but we seriously appreciate you just the same.
Speaker 2: M hm. Yeah, it was a huge year of growth for us, which I didn't even realize, I guess to that point. So it was really cool. It was would you say it was.
Speaker 1: Humbling, humbling, sobering. Yeah, yeah, it was nice. Yeah, made my little grinch heart swell three sizes.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, a little grinch, my.
Speaker 1: Little grinch heart.
Speaker 2: Oh boy.
Speaker 1: Well, do you want to get on with today's case or do you have anything else you want to want to discuss first?
Speaker 2: No, I think I'm excited for this case because I love it when you know it like, it's awesome when it gets solved right away, but that's not always the case. But if it eventually gets solved, that's also good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this one was nearly thirty years but they eventually they figured it out, and I'm so glad this is a smaller, smaller case, not super well known, so I'm happy to stories like that as well, especially when it comes to those victims and families who who deserve to be heard. So this is one of those stories. I have done a couple more. You know, Perpetrator highlighted stories recently, so it's nice to get back to telling those stories that need to be need to be out there more. Yes, Okay, let's get going. It was Saturday, September twenty first, nineteen ninety six. Fifteen year old Danielle or Danny Houchins asked her mom for permission to drive out to a nearby Cameron Bridge fishing access site. Now it's a popular spot along the Gallatin River just a few miles from her home. Danny was a sophomore. She was an honor student who had a big dream of becoming a biological engineer one day now. She was also very outdoorsy adventurous. She was a teen who loved hiking, rock climbing, river rafting, skiing, and listening to grunge music. She even had a playful streak, known for pulling some pranks on friends and family. In many ways, Dan he was a typical nineteen nineties teenager with her whole life still ahead of her. But on this day, Danny reportedly wanted to blow off some steam after a little argument at home, and a little solo trip to the river was how she chose to try and cool down. Her mother, Cheryl agreed and even lent Danny her watch so she could keep track of time and be back by mid afternoon. The family was expecting company around two PM, and Danny had promised to return by then. Now. She left home at around eleven am that morning, driving her pickup truck towards that Cameron Bridge. She was dressed in blue denim jeans and a gray sweatshirt and wore a knee brace on her left knee. Now that brace was due to a minor injury she'd gotten horsing around on a street dance with a few friends weeks earlier, but it didn't slower down much and it wasn't anything like extremely serious. At fifteen, Danny was an active and athletic girl who spent a lot of time outdoors, so a quick trip to a little scenic fishing spot by a bridge wasn't out of the ordinary for her or anything. She strapped on the gold elastic band watch that her mom lent her and cheerfully promised to be back in a couple hours, and with that she headed off in her truck, leaving the small town of Belgrade, Montana, in Gatlin County for the short drive to Cameron Bridge. It was just another Saturday adventure. As the clock ticked away and ticked past two pm. With guests arriving at the houch and home, Danny was nowhere to be seen. At first, her family wasn't exactly panic though. Danny was in fact of a very responsible teen and it wasn't like her to be terribly late, so perhaps she just lost track of time or whatever, and she'd be, you know, coming through the front door at any moment. But by three pm, worry began to set in, so her mother, Cheryl, decided to go to Cameron Bridge herself to check in on Danny. She brought along one of the family friends and together they drove the route that Danny would have taken, hoping to you know, maybe pass her on the way there or find her. When they arrived, still relaxing the river, not realizing what time it was, when hold into the dirt parking area at the Cameron Bridge, Cheryl immediately spotted Danny's truck. It was parked where visitors often leave their vehicles, but something was off. When they approached the truck, the doors were unlocked and Danny was nowhere in sight. Cheryl also saw Danny's belongings inside a stack of her CDs and even her father's laptop. The fact that the truck was left unlocked with these valuables inside it was very unlike her, and a prickling sense of dread began to form in Cheryl's stomach. Now it was nearby. As the search began. That on a little trail leading from the parking area towards the river, Cheryl and her friend made an alarming discovery. They found Danny's water bottle and her keys laying on the ground. Now Cheryl knew that her daughter wouldn't just abandon her keys in water like that and wander off the trail. Something seemed to clearly be wrong. They continued searching the area, calling out Danny's name, hoping for a response. For an exp of what's going on now. The Cameron Bridge site spans a mix of open fields brush patches of wood near the river, and there's footpaths, boat launches, and river banks all over, plenty of ground to cover, and as minutes ticked by with no trace of Danny, their search became increasingly frantic. For two hours, they scoured the vicinity with growing desperation as they went, and by five PM, with daylight starting to wane and an ominous feeling that you know, they might not be able to find her on their own, Cheryl made the decision to call the authorities for help. Once she contacted the Gatland County Sheriff's office, search efforts ramped up quickly. Sheriff deputies arrived at the Cameron Bridge site, and soon Gatland County Search and Rescue teams and local volunteers joined the hunt. The community mobilized fast. This was a small Montana town and a missing local teenager prompted immediate concern. Volunteers who knew the train came to help, and sheriff personnel coordinated the whole search in the wooded area, the marshy area, around the river, all of it. They're doing their best to try and find this missing teenager. As the following afternoon turned to evening, searchers spread out along the river's edge, through stands of trees and into the tall grasses of the marshland. But as the sun dipped low, the conditions grew challenging. The bridges area also includes swampy overgrown sections. It's all along the river's edge, and losing daylight might be dangerous to continue trudging through that difficult terrain, and after hours of fruitless searching, the organized effort was reluctantly called off for the night once darkness fell, with plans to resume at first light.
Speaker 2: It does seem like it's a pretty tough area to search, Hey, it is.
Speaker 1: Once you get you know, along river's edge, you get you know, cut banks, you get drop offs, you get water, you get swampy areas, you get trees, it's all of this. So if you don't have light, don't have footing, someone could even fall in the river. And yeah, I don't know how fast this river is flowing or how deep or anything, but potentially it could mean you know, another person being taken.
Speaker 2: Off another search outretch.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So regardless, it's just a massive safety concern. So first light is when they decided to officially conduct the search once again. However, Danny's loved ones were not about to give up. Even as searchers left for the night, a few determined individuals kept looking. Amongst them were two brothers who lived nearby and knew the landscape well. One of the brothers had a son who was good friends with Danny's sister, Stephanie, which made the situation even more personal for that family. At the urging of that sun, the brothers decided to continue the search on their own that night. So armed with flashlights and an intimate knowledge of that local train, the brothers navigated the shadows and muck along the river. It was around nine thirty PM, roughly forty five minutes after they began their private search, when one of the brothers made a heartbreaking discovery. They're only about two hundred feet from where Danny's truck was parked. They spotted a figure in a very swampy, marshy patch of ground near the river's edge. The flashlight illuminated the devastating site. There was Danny Houchin's lifeless body lying face down in a shallow pool of water.
Speaker 2: The last thing you'd want to find.
Speaker 1: Real ly, the worst fear was basically concerned, Yeah confirmed in that moment. Everyone hoped to find her safe, of course, right, like you know, maybe injuries are lost, even scared for sure, but like at the very least alive.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: And instead, you know, you have this vibrant fifteen year old who's.
Speaker 2: Now just found lifeless.
Speaker 1: She's gone, yeah, but in this case specifically, she's half submerged and barely a foot or two of swampy water. There's mud, there's rocks and weeds all over, and she's just face down. The scene was eerie, something straight out of a nightmare. And now Danny was still fully clothed in the same jeans and sweatshirt that she'd worn that day, but something was very wrong with how she was positioned. It looked as if she might have been dragged into this spot. One of her shoes, which was reportedly a sandal, was missing from her foot, but it was later found not far away, as it had fallen off from a potential struggle. The watch that Danny had borrowed from her mother will. It had been pulled up part way off of her hand, as though someone might have been yanking on her arm, and the watch could have possibly slidden off part way. The brothers who found her ran right away to get help, and one of them on his way out while he coincidentally encountered Danny's father, who was also out searching that evening too, Rex Houchins, he was, you know, out there for a last last search attempt of his own, and in an agonizing exchange from one father to another, the man delivered the news no parents should ever hear was found and she was clearly dead. Detectives secured the scene in the darkness and began collecting whatever evidence they could find around Danny's body. Investigators recovered at least four strands of hair from Danny's body, hairs that did not appear to belong to her.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: These foreign hairs were collected as evidence, preserved in hopes that they might one day help identify who had been at the scene that night with Danny. Now, there's also other critical evidence that was gathered as well. There was indication that Danny had in fact been sexually assaulted, and the exact position and state of her clothing suggested a violent struggle. For instance, Danny's bra was found pushed up from under her shirt and her underwear was a little bit disturbed as well. It was obvious something terrible had been done to her. The entire Houchin family was devastated to learn these things. A memorial service for Danny was held only a few days later, on September twenty fifth, nineteen ninety six, drawing over four hundred mourners who came to pay their respects to a young life cut way too short. Everyone assumed this was obviously a murder, a heinous sexual assault and killing of a teenage girl in what should have been a safe outdoor haven. However, shockingly, the early official handling of this case did not reflect the urgency and focused you would expect in a homicide investigation. In fact, within days of the body being discovered, Gatlin County authorities seemed to portray that they were not entirely sure what had even happened to Danny, even entertaining the possibility that this might be an accident instead. Now, an autopsy was performed on September twenty third, nineteen ninety six, by the Montana State Crime Lab. The medical examiner's findings, well, they were quite perplexing, and to Danny's family they were infuriating because, on one hand, the autopsy revealed clear signs of assault. Because there was muddy material quote on quote found in Danny's stomach as well as in her airway, suggesting she had inhaled an even swallowed mud and water while she was still alive. Now, this is not something that happens in a simple accidental slip and fall drowning scenario. It indicated that her face had been forced down into the marsh repeatedly or for a prolonged amount of time. And in addition, the autopsy had also noted a recent vaginal laceration, which was evidence of sexual trauma. All of these details screamed homicide to anyone who looked at them, and yet the officials well. Their conclusion from state medical examiner Gary Dale, was that danny Her cause of death was drowning, with the manner of the death being unlisted as undetermined. In other words, the forensic report did not label it a homicide nor definitively an accident. As well, it left the case open to interpretation despite the tailtale signs clearly a violence.
Speaker 2: What the hell I feel like that's someone not wanting to go the extra not even an extra mile, really like put any effort into figuring out what the hell happened?
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. There's a lot around this case with scrutiny towards the investigation team and officials in regards to how they handled it, because it seems like they didn't even try.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that doesn't make any sense though, Why wouldn't you, Like this is a fifteen year old girl, You think that would give you all the gusto to try to get this solved.
Speaker 1: No, kidding, well, and not only that, but it's like there's there's clear signs that there's something else happening here. Yeah, okay, sure you might have say, might say she tripped and fell and face first into water, whatever, Right, but why are her keys and water bottle left on the trail? Would she trip and fall and then like go several meters off into this bush into the swampy area, like stumbling like all this way? That doesn't make any sense now. The very next day after the autotopsy, Gatlin County Sheriff Bill Slaughter spoke to the press and downplayed the likelihood of murder, citing the fact that Danny's body supposedly didn't have any obvious cuts or bruises, saying, quote, I think we've got to be prepared for the fact that this may have been an accidental drowning. Now he even speculated that perhaps Danny, who had the knee brace on, might have slipped, been unable to get up, and drowned in only a few inches of water. Just as your face shows, you're a little bit shocked. Danny's family. While they were shocked to at any suggestion that her death was accidental, the evidence of a sexual assault alone should have put the accident theory to rest. But to make things worse, Danny's parents were initially told by investigators that their daughter quote died a virgin, which was a blatant lie given the autopsy findings of vaginal injuries.
Speaker 2: What the heck? So okay, I can't imagine how frustrating or heartbreaking this is. They know something is wrong here, yeah, and no one is taking it seriously exactly.
Speaker 1: And it's not only the family who knows, because like they're close to the case, it's their daughter. The entire community is just like.
Speaker 2: What, yeah, okay, how can that person even stand up there and just say this sort of thing without feeling like a complete idiot.
Speaker 1: It almost seems like some officials, like in nineteen ninety six, were actively withholding information, or at the very least misleading the family. Maybe I don't know, Maybe they're trying to avoid like having fear strike into the community. I don't know. They maybe they didn't want to admit that a murderer was loose. I don't know. But regardless, it was either complete lack of due diligence showing nothing but ignorance, or severely in moral ways to investigate. It's one of the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, what they're doing doesn't seem quite right, because people do. I mean, I get they have to withhold some information and stuff, but if it's like a murder versus not, that's something people probably should know.
Speaker 1: Now, the family knew this was complete nonsense. The whole idea of an accidental death simply because she wore knee brace well, it's absurd, and as Danny's sister Stephanie would say years later, quote anyone who saw the details could confidently say this was a homicide. It's always been a homicide. Now. Frustration with the investigation only grew as time passed. No suspect was immediately identified in nineteen ninety six, and given the initial undetermined ruling, it seemed the case lacked the urgency of any sort of murder hunt, Sheriff Slaughter and his administration, according to later critiques, just didn't pursue with vigor. One of the first deputies on scene, Keith Farquhar, recalled feeling that his department's leadership was too quick to dismiss the death as an accident or hint at the possibility of suicide, and that it never felt like they were treating it as a full on homicide investigation.
Speaker 2: Quote.
Speaker 1: His attitude from every thing I saw was we just want this over with end quote.
Speaker 2: M that Okay, I just feel like there's something else going on here, because I feel like a young girl getting hurt is enough motivation to do almost anything if you're in that position of power. So I just feel like, what are they hiding or what's going on here? It seems like there's just more to this.
Speaker 1: But there's so many people in the world who just, you know, they just do the bare minimum to get away with their job, right.
Speaker 2: I guess. But when when it's like a this is like a life death kind of thing, you think you wouldn't be doing the.
Speaker 1: Bare minimum, but people still do.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they get complacent or whatever. I guess right.
Speaker 1: Complacent's a good word, and I think that's what's happening here now. This whole sentiment was also echoed by other deputies and detectives too. It wasn't just him. Cindy Botek, a Gatlin County Sheriff's detective who joined the force just days before Danny's death, later said, quote, it never appeared to be a priority. Now, that's basically for the original investigators to chase down leads on a murder case sort of thing, right. But despite these internal doubts, though official officially, the case well, it just sat stale and with no arrests and no public naming of even a person of interest, Danny's murder simply became a cold case. But that didn't mean it was forgotten, not entirely anyways. Over the years, some investigators, like Detective Bodick would circle back to the case.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Bodeck herself ended up picking up the file around two thousand and six when she joined the detective unit and tried to find new leads, And when she did, she found that she was stonewalled by some of the very officers who had worked the original investigation, the implication being that they didn't appreciate scrutiny on what might have been something that was mishandled, so they didn't want to be proven wrong or anything like that.
Speaker 2: Oh my gosh, EGO should not be brought into this.
Speaker 1: Shouldn't be But that's exactly what she was finding. So it was very much so an op pill battle. But she made an attempt regardless though now. She eventually retired in twenty sixteen without seeing Danny's case solved, and all through that time, through the late nineties and even through two thousands, the Houchin family well, they lived a very painful limbo existence. They knew Danny had been murdered, but they had no justice and worse, no answers. Yet years turned into decades. Sheriff Bill Slaughter retired in the year two thousand. Subsequent sheriffs inherited the cold case, but as I already kind of eluded, they made little headway, and the question of who killed Danny Houchins lingered quietly in the background. All the while. Stephanie Houchin's especially was deeply scarred by the loss of her sister and the lack of closure. She was only twelve years old when Danny died, and Stephanie grew up under the shadow of this trauma, involving nightmares, waking up sobbing in the middle of the night, those sort of things. Like most everyone else, she always knew it couldn't have been an accident. She knew it had to have been a murder, and by late twenty tens, over twenty years had passed since Danny's death, but Stephanie had not given up hope that her sister's killer could be found. In fact, a revolutionary development in another case would soon inspire her to urge a new approach to Danny's Colt case. It was April of twenty eighteen when true crime history was made with California authorities announcing the arrest of the infamous Golden State Killer after decades of eluding justice. And it was all thanks to a cutting edge technique known as forensic genetic genealogy.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: This case was solved by matching crime scene DNA to distant relatives in genealogy databases places such as ancestry dot com, and it made headlines worldwide when they caught this guy. One person who was paying close attention to those headlines was Stephanie, and she wondered, if such a technique could catch a serial killer you know from the seventies or eighties, why couldn't it be applied to identify a person who murdered her sister in nineteen ninety six. So Stephanie began contacting the Gatlin County Sheriff's office repeatedly in twenty eighteen and twenty nineteen, urging them to consider using DNA genealogy for Danny's cold case. At first, she just got mild in lukewarm responses, but Stephanie did not let up. She knew there was DNA evidence from the crime scene, the strands of hair being found and possibly preserved all those years, so she was determined to see it tested with the latest methods. Her persistence coincided with some changes in the Sheriff's office, too, and that would ultimately prove to be crucial. It was twenty nineteen when a new sheriff, Captain Max Boxmeyer, took an interest in the Houchin's case. He quietly began reinvestigating the final that year. He even reached out to the Houchin's family in early twenty twenty to discuss the sensitive prospect of you know reopening the case, knowing it would mean stirring up some old pain, but the family, well, they quickly agreed they could deal with those old wounds being reopened if it meant finding the truth. However, lingering distrust in authorities left them with some hesitation, but nonetheless they were still willing to work with any officers who were genuinely committed to solving Danny's case. So now a significant turning point came. In twenty twenty one, Dan Springer, who had actually been a young deputy in the department at the time of Danny's murder, was elected as the new Gatlin County Sheriff. Springer had never forgotten the case that occurred just five days after he was sworn in back in nineteen ninety six, and upon becoming sheriff, Springer vowed to bring fresh eyes to this cold case, and he assembled a small team dedicated to going wherever, and I mean wherever the evidence led, no matter how much time has passed. One of Sheriff Springer's first moves was to bring in outside expertise, and by early twenty twenty three, he connected with Thomas Elfmont, a retired LAPD homicide captain, who had relocated to Montana. Now, Alfmont had decades of investigative experience and now ran a global security firm, and he was willing to lend his skills to help crack this mystery death of Danny Springer. Swore Elfmont in as a special deputy, granting him full authority to investigate this case with a fresh perspective, and together they also enlisted Sergeant Court Dupwig from Newport Beach, California, who was an expert in solving cold homicide cases with DNA technology. This new investigative team re examined everything they combed through the old case files, evidence on toops of reports, all of it uncovering in the process some shocking oversights from previous investigators and authorities. For instance, in mid twenty twenty three, while reviewing physical evidence, they discovered something that had been missed or not reported publicly for decades, which was the fact that traces of seamen were found on Danny's underwear.
Speaker 2: Are you shitting me? Yeah, but they said that she was just.
Speaker 1: A virgin and that it wasn't an assault. Yet there was sulli, Yet there was vaginal lacerations found in the autopsy, and traces of semen found on her underwear. How can that be possible?
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is just not okay at all.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's critical evidence.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is not doing your job at Like, oh okay, I'm just flabbergasted here.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And yet these people were in power and they knew they didn't do a good job because when people started questioning them later, when other sheriffs or investigators started looking at the case again, they're just like, yeah, like, fuck off, don't question us.
Speaker 2: Oh that doesn't make any sense to me. I feel like, I mean, it does happen occasionally, but gosh, if you're in that kind of position, you need to take your job seriously.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's life or death for other people. And even at the very minimum, if you're not including life or death, it could mean, you know what, closure for an entire family answering a question. If you don't do your job and you just say, oh, it's an accident, now you have this whole family and the community knowing you're lying and living on fear this entire time.
Speaker 2: Well, my biggest fear is that this family knew who did it or something right, and like had a relationship with this person and it continued or something, right, So that's what I'm just sitting back like, oh gosh, I hope that's not the case.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Now, this critical piece of evidence, as I said, the sample of semen that was found, it had somehow either been overlooked or not fully tested. Back in nineteen ninety six, it was a job dropping find a definitive confirmation of sexual assault by men predator. So in August of twenty twenty three, armed with this new analysis, Sheriff Springer officially changed Danny's manner of death from undetermined to homicide once and for all.
Speaker 2: Hoof, that's a big deal.
Speaker 1: It's a big deal. Meanwhile, efforts were already underway to use the preserved DNA evidence for genealogical testing. Investigators sent the four unknown hairs found on Danny's body to a specialized lab in California known for handling degraded DNA. Now, these samples, specifically weren't hairs with roots, which contain a lot more DNA in them. They were rootless arm hairs, which typically have only trace amounts of DNA. But technology had advanced dramatically since the nineties, and the lab Arstea Forensics managed to extract enough genetic material from one of the hairs to build a partial DNA profile of the potential suspect.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's I was not thinking that it was going to be our mayor's Yeah, that blows my mind. Now.
Speaker 1: Initially, this DNA profile was run through COTIS, the FBI's Combined DNA Index system, which holds millions of DNA profiles of convicted offenders from arrestees. No match turned up, which meant the person who left those hairs had never been convicted before. So, with COTIS failing to identify anyone, the team moved on to more revolutionary approaches, the forensic genetic genealogy. So this technique that had nabbed the Golden State Killer and many others in recent years. It worked by taking DNA profile from the crime scene evidence and uploading it to commercial as ancestry databases, the one that I mentioned like ancestry dot com. Right, So this is going to find relatives of the unknown suspect. Basically, if any distant cousin or aunt or uncle, anyone who may have you know what, submitted their own DNA to a public genealogy service and they are related to the killer, they might show up as a match, maybe a second cousin, whatever, And then by finding these family matches, skilled genealogists can now build out a family tree and zero in on the suspect from there. So to tackle this complex task, the Gatlin County team turned to one of the country's best known genetic genealogists, CC Moore. Now CC was working with Parabon Nanolabs in Virginia. They had helped solve dozens of cases using this technology before and when the detailed DNA from Danny's case was passed to them, well, the painstaking research began. Months went by as CC and her colleagues analyzed the genetic profile from these armhairs and search for any notable matches in any databases. Bit by bit, they piece together a possible family tree for Danny's unknown killer. This is very time consuming work. They don't just plunk it in and just get a family tree on a website and say, oh, well, there's the killer. This often involves historical records, obituaries, public documents, and sometimes even contacting family members directly to ask about their extended family and relatives. In this case, the genetic genealogist was able to connect DNA from the crime scene to four of the suspects, the unknown suspects grandparents, so they were able to confirm whoever did the killing. These are their grandparents.
Speaker 2: Okay, WHOA. So that's freaking exciting.
Speaker 1: It is. This dramatically narrowed down the suspect pool, and before long they zeroed in on someone in this family tree of these grandparents who had a name, and his name was Paul Nathaniel Hutchinson. Now it's not it's very close to Danny's name, Danny Houchins. This is Hutchinson. It's not a relationship, right, Okay. So digging into his background, they discovered why he evaded notice for so long. In nineteen ninety six, Paul was a twenty seven year old graduate student at Montana State University in Bozeman. He had only recently moved to the area around the time that Danny was killed. He wasn't a known troublemaker. In fact, he had no criminal history at all. Paul went on built a quiet life, a respectable life, even, you may argue. He earned a master's degree in Fisheries and Wildlife biology and eventually took a job with the US Bureau of Land Management or BLM as a fisheries biologist. By twenty ten's he was working out of Dylan, Montana, roughly one hundred miles southeast of where Danny was killed, and he'd been working with BLM for twenty two years. Paul was also married for over two decades and had two kids, and by all outward accounts, he was a stable family man and an avid out doorsman. It was a profile that stunned investigators when they figured this out. Could this fifty five year old husband, father biologist really be the person who raped and killed a fifteen year old girl back in nineteen ninety six. It was hard to reconcile, and yet the science was pointing directly at him. Sheriff Springer's team gathered more intelligence on Paul. Quietly, they confirmed that in September of nineteen ninety six, he indeed lived in Bozeman for grad school, placing him in the vicinity of the crime. If he frequented outdoor spots, you know what, it's conceivable that he might have gone fishing or exploring at Cameron Bridge, where he may have randomly encountered Danny that day. Investigators theorized that this was a chance encounter, a crime of opportunity by a predator who saw young girl alone and seized the moment. Since there was no evidence that connected Danny to Paul, he didn't know her or anything. They were just complete strangers. By the summer of twenty twenty four, the Gatlin County Sheriff's Office had enough confidence in the DNA and genealogical evidence. However, they based a challenge because the DNA profile from the hair technically was a partial profile and not yet confirmed with one hundred percent certainty that it was in fact Paul Hutchinson. They didn't have probable cause to just go simply arrest him or take a DNA swamp to test. What they did need, though, was DNA to test and actually compare the two to see. So legally they needed more and ideally they wanted to obtain his DNA for that direct comparison, but doing so can take time, you know, having people trail him wait around for the right opportunity of a discarded cup that he'd been drinking from, or a cigarette butt or something. So instead of waiting, they decided on a different approach. They wanted to confront him in an interview and gage his reaction. Sometimes a suspects behavior under questioning can be quite revealing, and in the best case, he might even volunteer a DNA sample or you know what, admit to his crimes. So on July twenty third, twenty twenty four, investigators made their move. They drove to Dylan, Montana, where Paul worked, to interview him. Unexpectedly, there they found Paul outside the BLM Field office unloading a pickup truck with a couple of coworkers. They approached him with badges in hand, you know saying who they are, and asked to speak with them. The effect on Paul was reportedly instantaneous, as he turned pale white immediately. Paul rarely agreed to the interview, and for nearly two hours in a conference room or an office at his workplace, the detectives questioned Paul about the events on September twenty one, nineteen ninety six. Now, they deliberately did not mention that he was under arrest, because he wasn't. This was a voluntary conversation. The goal, though, was partly to observe his demeanor and possibly prompt you a confession or at least inconsistencies in his story to strengthen their investigation. Now, Paul did not confess, but his body language spoke volumes. According to investigators, he was a wreck during the interview. He was extremely nervous start to finish, sweating profusely, biting or chewing on his hand, and repeatedly scratching on his face in an agitated manner.
Speaker 2: Well, he would never have expected.
Speaker 1: This to no, especially after this long right, so he was not prepared.
Speaker 2: Well, yeah, I'm loving this. He should be fricking uncomfortable now.
Speaker 1: At one point, they presented him a photo of Danny, and Paul visibly slumped in his chair at the sight of this photo, as if the weight of the whole moment hit him physically. He grew even more uncomfortable and had no good explanation for anything. As the entire interview went on, the detectives noticed every little telltale sign of fear in the man now sitting before him, and by the end of the questioning they were more convinced than ever that they had the right guy. They still couldn't make an arrest, though they needed to directly match his DNA first, otherwise their case could fall apart. In court after the interview, Officers kept a very close eye on him as he drove off, and interestingly, Paul didn't just head straight home calmly. Instead, he drove his vehicle in a strange, erratic pattern, possibly even checking if he was being followed, and investigators described it as if he were performing counter surveillance maneuvers, perhaps a sign that he was paranoid about being tailed and indeed he was subtly.
Speaker 2: Being tailed well and had something to hide.
Speaker 1: Correct now. Eventually, though, he lost a police surveillance and they decided not to pursue aggressively and tip him off. You know, they were trying to keep a distance and he was able to get away. You know, they hadn't charged him with anything yet. They didn't want to be too pressuring him too much, I guess is the best way to put it. The plan now, though, was to regroup and figure out how to get a definitive DNA sample. Then, in the early predawn hours of the very next day, July twenty fourth, twenty twenty four, as detectives were now strategizing their next move, Paul Hutchinson made a decision of his own. Sometime around four am, he phoned the Beaverhead County Sheriff's office, which is the local county for Dylan. He phoned from his cell phone and in a brief, odd call, he stated that he needed some assistance with his vehicle, gave a location, and then abruptly hung up. After police received the strange phone call from Paul, they were dispatched to the spot where he said he was having vehicle trouble, which was a roadside area west of Dylan. What they found there ended any hope of a traditional path to justice because they found Paul Hutchinson dead sitting in his car. He had shot himself with a thirty eight caliber pistol, ending his life in an apparent suicide.
Speaker 2: Okay, I was wondering if that was going to happen, but I just feel like, Wow, he took the ease way out there. Hey, what a complete coward.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the man who evaded responsibility for twenty eight years chose to evade it once again by taking his own life. And this happened barely ten hours after the investigators had first approached him for the interview. For the law enforcement team and for Danny's family, the news of this suicide was a gut punch of mixed emotions. On one hand, this seemed to effectively provide a kind of confirmation of guilt. But on the other hand, if this was true, then his death meant there would be no arrest, no trial, no public reckoning in a courtroom, nothing. Investigators quickly moved Paul's body into custody, and crucially, they collected DNA samples from him during post mortem procedures.
Speaker 2: I guess that's one way to get it, eh.
Speaker 1: The samples were then sent for immediate comparison to the crime scene DNA profile from Danny's case. It was a moment of truth, the one that everyone had been waiting twenty eight years four. Within days, by the end of July twenty twenty four, the results came back from the lab. The DNA was a complete match. The profile from the hair found on Danny's body match Paul Hutchinson's own DNA with essentially one hundred percent certainty. The statistical odds of it being anyone else was astronomically small.
Speaker 2: This nasty piece of shit. Hey, he was literally twenty seven years old and she was fifteen. Yeah, like what like that is just so disgusting.
Speaker 1: And then he chose to just run away from it all.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Not only that, but he's also leaving behind his wife and children in the wake.
Speaker 2: Well, and the fact that he got to live these extra twenty eight years is just it's that just sucks.
Speaker 1: I agree. But ultimately this means Danny's killer was in fact identified. It was bittersweet. They had solved the case and kept their promise to never give up finding the truth for Danny. Yet the suicide meant the case would be, you know what, closed in a way no one idea he wanted. There'd be no opportunity to possibly get more information out of Paul, to ask why he did it, whether he stocked Danny or it. Truly was a spur the moment attack. You know, whether he'd done similar crimes before.
Speaker 2: Or after, Yeah, because that was pretty brutal, you can only expect he did other things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So all those answers just died with them. Now, investigators didn't know if that Paul had no prior criminal record and was not linked to other cases using the genealogy testing. Still, given his extreme actions, authorities in Montana quietly began looking into other unsolved cases in the region to see if he might be connected, especially any assaults or murders near where he lived over the years. As of now, he has not been tied to any other crimes, but that possibility remains open. On August eighth, twenty twenty four, at the Gatlin County Sheriff's office held a press conference that Danny's family had waited for twenty eight years. Flanked by photos of Danny and aided by the diligent team that cracked the case, Sheriff Dan Springer announced to the world that the nineteen ninety six murder of Danielle Danny Houchins had been solved and that the killer was identified as Paul Nathaniel Hutchinson, who was fifty five years old. He was a man who tragically would never face justice in court because he had taken his own life shortly after being identified. And standing besides the sheriff when he announced all this was Stephanie Houchins or now Stephanie Mullett, Danny's sister, who was thirty nine years old. Stephanie had been the driving force from the family side, never letting authorities forget Danny's case, and when it was her turn to speak, Stephanie delivered a very powerful and emotionally charged statement on behalf of her family and her long lost sister. In her speech, she vividly described what happened to Danny, how this man had raped her and then held her down in the marsh until she choked on mud and died. She also spoke about Paul's suicide and didn't hold back, saying, quote, when the time came to face up and account for his violence, he instead chose to end his life. He knew of his guilt and couldn't face my family or his family and the pain he caused. End quote. In those words, she labeled him as a coward, without using the word itself, a man who literally ran from justice in the final hour. Importantly, though, Stephanie did not shy away from criticizing how the case was handled back in nineteen ninety six either. She recounted the many ways that the system failed her sister and her family. She reminded everyone that the evidence of the homicide had always been there. There was, in fact, bruising on the back of Danny's neck indicating that she was forced down, the mud found in her stomach, the state of her clothing, the hair samples found the seaman that was recovered from her underwear, Yet those in charge in nineteen ninety six chose to label the death as undetermined and even lie to her parents about the sexual assault. She also revealed that some evidence had been mishandled or lost over the years, such as the seamen that was never mentioned. Such as the very watch that her mother lent Danny that day, the crime lab reportedly somehow lost it. Even the very crucial hair evidence that was ultimately the thing that solved the case. It had been misfiled for years, an astounding error that delayed justice even further. Still, Stephanie, she expressed deep gratitude for those who finally stepped up and refused to let Danny's case remain unsolved. Danny's family at last had an answer of who did it, a huge weight off their shoulders, but they were left to process a very fresh wave of grief from Danny. As for Paul's wife of twenty four years and his two children, they were stunned by this revelation. By all accounts, he had been a good husband and father in their eyes. They never had an inkling that back in nineteen ninety six, before he even met his wife, and birthed his kids he had committed such a horrible act. His wife posted a public message of condolence to the Houchin's family after learning the entire truth, saying, quote, our hearts go out to the Houchin's family. They will let last be able to find the closure they deserve. She also described being absolutely heartbroken and said that the news made their own grieving from their loss so much more complicated, as they now had to reconcile that the man they loved was secretly a monster. In the community of Belgrade and Bozeman, people remember that fifteen year old girl with a bright smile from nineteen ninety six and felt comforted that at long last, the question of who killed her was finally answered. Danny's case is just one of several across the country and even more in recent years, where a suspect identified through genetic genius died by suicide before they could ever be arrested. It's a growing trend that showcases both the power of these new tools and the tragic reality that some offenders, when finally cornered after years, choose to escape legal consequences through death. In the end, it's important to remember who was at the heart of this story, Danielle Danny Houchins herself. Today, Danny would be forty five years old. If she was alive, she might have become a biological engineer like she once aspired to be. Or perhaps she would have followed a different path, maybe using her love of outdoors in an environmental career or starting a family of her own. But unfortunately we'll never know, because a vicious crime cut her life short at just fifteen years old. But those who knew and loved her while they keep her memory alive, and they have throughout all these years. At the Cameron Bridge fishing access site across stands with the words Justice for Danny written across it, a tribute to a young life lost and a demand for her killer to be found, which thankfully has now after twenty eight years, that justice has been realized in the only way left possible now. Danny's story is an example of how crucial it is for law enforcement to listen to victim's families and never give up on finding the truth. It also showcases the remarkable power of modern forensic science. How a few tiny rootless hairs saved in an evidence file for decades held the key to solving a crime that once seemed unsolvable. Danny Houchin's case will forever be part of Montana's history, not just because of the tragedy that occurred, but because of the hard won resolution that followed. Now, while the ending was not the conventional justice system outcome, the truth was still uncovered and in remembering Danny, those who knew her her as a fun, loving, kind and ambitious girl who brought joy to those around her. She deserved so much more in life. Though nothing can bring her back, one hope remains that she can now truly rest in peace, and that her family can sleep a little easier at night, knowing that the mystery that plagued them for decades has finally been put to rest. Danny's story shows us that no matter how much time passes, determination can light the way to justice, and even the darkest secrets can eventually see the light of day. And that's the story of Danielle Houchin's.
Speaker 2: Who. That is a story and a half.
Speaker 1: YEP.
Speaker 2: I have a few thoughts. First of all, I feel like, well, Paul is a nasty piece of shit. YEP, I agree. I wonder what Paul's family would have felt, you know, his kids, for example, hearing that their dad did this too, a fifteen year old girl. Yeah, oh my gosh, I just I don't even I can't even imagine.
Speaker 1: That's why. I mean, like the kids, I'm sure maybe not around that age of fifteen, they could be depending on like when they had the kids, but thinking like that could have been me someone that did that to me. My dad is the monster to do those things. My dad did that, like holy shit.
Speaker 2: And I also just want to touch on Stephanie too. I feel like Danny would be proud of her. I think so she everyone needs a Stephanie. I think, right, should we?
Speaker 1: Uh you want to do the honors?
Speaker 2: I do, well. I yeah, she's totally the badass of the day, but what she did also shouldn't have had to be done.
Speaker 1: I agree, you're right.
Speaker 2: So she definitely is the badass of the day because she did, you know, she really helped everything come together with this, but it shouldn't have had to be that way.
Speaker 1: And I think now would be a good time to say that some of those those investigators and officers earlier on in nineteen ninety six should not have been in that field. They should not have had those jobs. Fuck those guys, I know.
Speaker 2: I mean I most of the cases, I feel like they're done fairly well, like pretty good if we have nothing against like investigators and stuff. But if you are in that role, you do need to take it very seriously, or you need to find a job that doesn't need to be taken that seriously. I guess.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, like you need to treat a homicide with more diligence than flipping a burger like, oh, okay, well maybe I didn't cook the burger quite right. Whatever I mean. I mean that technically still has implications if you have raw or something like that. I guess, But I digress. This is a person's life. This is affecting families, communities so much more.
Speaker 2: Someone got to live twenty eight years because of you. And imagine like an extra twenty eight years when they should not have them, when they should have been in jail.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and imagine if he fed off that and he became a serial killer. Oh imagine the lives that could have cost potentially still have costs we don't know.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, hopefully he didn't do anything remotely like this Daniel and else.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but he's a monster and we'll never get to know because well he chose the easy way out.
Speaker 2: Mm hmm he did so.
Speaker 1: Anyways, I'm glad I got to tell Danielle's story because she deserves it.
Speaker 2: She does.
Speaker 1: And that guy, I hope he burns for eternity. I'll just put it that. I'll end it there. Thank you for being here. We appreciate you. Don't forget to check your description for all the links and everything for this podcast. Give us a rating if you can. We really appreciate. It goes a long way. We are an indie show, independently produced, independently owned, written, researched, hosted. All of it is done by us in our tiny home, next to our two dogs who are curled up waiting for the show to end so they can go outside and maybe go for a walk and have treats and stuff like that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they do as soon as we say stay with especially the one Ripley. She gets up and knows, okay we can bug bug them again. Yeah.
Speaker 1: They know when it's recording time and when to chill, and they know when when we're done and uh yeah, when things move on. Actually, I just looked at her and her ears starting to twitch, so she she knows. So with that, thank you for being here. We really appreciate you. You guys are incredible, and until next time, stay wicked.