Speaker 1: Kildair Village always has something extraordinary, extraordinary brands, extraordinary quality, extraordinary value. So when we have a sale, you know it's going to be extraordinary, like with up to seventy percent of the RP and participation in partiques. The Extraordinary Sale now on only at Kildair Village. See Kildare Village dot com.
Speaker 2: For T andc's So we're joined now by Scott Monroe from the Detectives Endowment Association. And Scott, we have issues to talk about, but let's talk about the psyche for a minute. A public school in Manhattan, in a very wealthy area put on some play last week where the students depicted being shot by cops. I mean, we can't win with this kind of mentality in the city, can we. Now that's terrible.
Speaker 3: You know what, We're out there trying to show the public that every day, the new Jury Police Department, that we're not against the public in any type of way. I mean, especially the Detectors and Downmand Association. You know, we do everything that we're out there with our canteen out there, you know, feeding families on Thanksgiving and everything was like that. Why would they on earth try to do something like that.
Speaker 2: You know, it's also just about the general psyche. I mean, I grew up in New I spent my pre teen and ten years. I moved to New York in nineteen eighty one, came back in the late nineties, and being in the NYPD and being in a cop was hot, to say the least. It was so revered. In fact, you might remember in the late nineties there were all those guys who were over the age to join the NYPD who were petitioning Mayor Giuliani to let them join. That's how much people wanted to be a part of this. And now we have this anti cop sentiment even in the wealthier at parts of the city. And on top of that, Scott Monroe from the Detectives and Dominant Association, we also have a changing nature of crime in the city. When I was growing up in the city, it was property crime, per snatching, mugging, chains being ripped off. Now it's random, mentally ill people who there's nothing you could do. They're just coming and slashing people out of nowhere. This is we need the police more than ever.
Speaker 4: Correct, No, you need you need you need a governor, a government that in Albany you're gonna put these people in mental institutions. They shouldn't be in the streets in New York.
Speaker 3: Yes, they're gonna have to do something with that. And it's a show. We had one of our detectives shot in the leg the other day. The barricaded prisoner was an he emostly just started person. He was a real hero along with other detectives there that day. They had a family upstairs, and all the family upstairs that barricaded themselves in the room because they were afraid this this individual was shooting, shooting at the gas line and the stoves. They went in there to take action and unfortunately, you know what happened was uh, you know, he didn't he didn't make it. But but but this is what shows you on these disturbances mostly uh, to start people. You can't bring civilians there to talk to these people because now you gotta worry about them. And unfortunately, we have a detective sitting in the hospital that right now that got shot in the leg by him.
Speaker 4: There's one Scott's Gootchy talks again. The problem is you have this either deliberate or naive attempt to change the nature of policing. The job of the police officers are to protect and to defend. Sending in social workers creates the problem as you created, because you have to protect them as well, and they're not capable of taking calm and control of the situation, whereas the people who respond are very trained in this. Similarly, they want to take away the critical response groups. You know, Mondomie's attempts to do this, and he seems to have cool that at least to the time being. But the fact of the matters is how do you take care of the riot situation? Send in social workers, stand down, let people riot take over Macy's. As di Blasio did, well.
Speaker 3: I think she's starting to see what really going on. I would love to ask him that question, what do you do you feel differently than you feel now from six months ago or eight months ago when you were campaigning, you know, I would like I can know, do you feel a little bit different about what policing does and what we're going to be doing? Is you know in New York, how we're going to keep New York safe?
Speaker 2: Well, at answer you by telling you it's the Jew's fault. I mean he Thursday night, he makes the speech right after the feel good parade for the Knicks, and he's talking about everyone coming together. And then he makes the speech at a political rally calling people who donate to Israel monsters, and he uses the term monsters right out of derch Schermer in nineteen thirty eight from Nazi Germany and talks about how they all they want to do is support genocide. There is no genocide, by the way, in Gaza, it's it's called mathematics.
Speaker 4: There's no apotheid, there's no colonism, there's no genocide.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and by the way, insults the true victims of apartheid, genocide and through throughout history of the world. But you know another thing that really gets me here is you know, the left is supposed to be the big supporters of the unions, the working unions. Well, I got news for you. The border patrol agents have a union. The cops have a union. Certain government workers who they've been demonizing, these cops and border patrol ages, they're union workers. Where's the respect for them. It's amazing to me. I mean, obviously this is a big part of your argument, I would assume, Scott.
Speaker 3: Yes, listen, I want to have an open dialogue with the Maya, just like I had an open dialogue with the last maya and explain to that, Explain to the maya basically why we need certain things and moving forward, because you know what it's about in New York City, it's about seeping the people safe in New York City. It's about keep of my detectives, all police officers are safe every day, making sure that they go home to their families. That's what it's all about, Scott.
Speaker 5: This is Fernando Mateo. By the way, I have a great deal of respect for all of our NYPD uniform then detectives because they keep us all safe.
Speaker 2: And I don't really think that you need to.
Speaker 5: Do much explaining to the mayor or much asking from the mayor. Just look at what happened yesterday in Harlem. Four kids shot for kids, then you go to the Bronx there were another six or seven kids stabbed and shot. You know what happens in the city every day speaks for itself. And who has to come to the rescue, Who has to investigate to find these people, to find the people who committed these crimes. It's our detectives, it's our police officers, right, we need to appreciate them more. There isn't much that you need to explain to the mayor. Just show them the newspapers, let them read, let them see for himself.
Speaker 3: The mayor. You know what we had that, you know, that big parade for the nixt We had a couple different You know, we have millions of people there, right, but you only had a couple of different problems there. The police commissioner and her staff put everybody out there. They were working long, hot hours, they were working double shifts. These detectives they're tired, you know what I mean, They're going home to their families. People are gonna be retiring, and that's what's very concerning to me, you know, with the governor. I mean, I have a bill that's sitting on her desk right now that I have a thousand detectives that can retire in July. I only have a little over five thousand normally we have. When I took over two years ago, we had about five thousand, six hundred. Brought it out, we had seven thousand detectives. So we're down with all membership. Okay, it's very important that the governor looks at this building, signs it. Now she needs to stop the bleeding right now, not in October, not in November. We need to stop it now. So I'm concerned about the city. These bills have to get signed and all members need to continue, and we need to continue to keep our experience here in the Detective Bureau.
Speaker 2: Well, Scott again, I mean, we only have about thirty seconds left. But you know this is this is like a blueprint for how to destroy a civilization. You open up the jails, open up the borders, de emphasize law and order. Look, we all know that we want because not that we want the police to run without any oversight, but to get rid of the police absolutely or effectively. You know, they don't have to literally defund the police. But if we have these kinds of depleted numbers of cops streets, it's the same thing, the same I don't blame them for wanting to leave, Scott.
Speaker 5: I'm sorry, you know, I know we need more detectives, but I don't blame them for wanting to leave.
Speaker 2: Quick last word to you, Scott, go ahead, Scott, quick last word to you.
Speaker 3: I think it was just like listen, we're here, our members are out there working day to day. They have families at home, just like everybody else, you know, whether you're a stockbroker or you're a bus driver or whatever. They want to go home to their families and they want to be safe, and that's our job. We have to keep them safe. Not only keeping them safe, we're keeping the people of city in New York safe.
Speaker 2: Scott Monroe, the New York Detectives and Downment Association.
Speaker 6: Thanks for listening to Sit in Friends in the Morning. You can hear Sit and Friends in the Morning weekday mornings. It's six. If you like the podcast, share it with your friends and listen anytime at WABC radio dot com and download the WABC Radio app. Hit that subscribe button on all major podcast platforms. Plus follow WABC on social on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and X see you next time for a new episode, so you never have to wonder what the heck is going on here.