Speaker 1: Hey, everybody, welcome to Games Mornings, brought to you by MSI with me Jeff Grubb, your host from giant bomb dot com. Thank you for tuning in. In this episode, we're gonna be talking about another game you should probably add to your two play list if we go by its excellent reviews. And sure, let's also start talking about the next Nintendo Direct already it's gonna be a good one because we have Britain Peel on the show. Britton, how are you doing?
Speaker 2: I'm doing great better now that I'm here and on the other side, on the other side of a long move, I had told Grub like, yeah, someday I'll be ready to record again, and that day has come.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so the move, like, you guys kind of get it all mostly settled. You said, you're not quite living out of boxes, Like what's the status? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Mostly. We ended up selling our old home a lot faster than anticipated, so that required a very quick like, hey dad in Oklahoma, can we come live with you for like, uh huh six weeks, which is not something I recommend. I love my dad, but just not we all get not ideal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we all fully understand.
Speaker 2: Yeah, the switch to got us through a lot of stuff. It was you know, Donkey Kong came out while I was there. My six year old loved it, so that kept him busy. That Minecraft just kept us saying for a little while. So we're here, We're doing good. Happy to be home again.
Speaker 1: Real quick. The order of operations when it comes to unpacking, get getting the home set up. At what point do you feel comfortable like setting up the games and then like actually sitting down and playing some cause it's like, you know, I could sit down and play this game, but there's forty five boxes right over there I should be dealing with.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, absolutely. And we were in a situation for a while where like, so upstairs there's no couch, so if I'm playing games up there, I'm on the floor on a beanback chair, so that's fun, and then downstairs is kind of a weird like TV situation as well. So honestly, the answer is like, still hasn't.
Speaker 1: Really helped on the switch? Yeah yeah, yeah, So.
Speaker 2: Been playing the Switch, you know, on the couch or whatever a little bit. I did hook up the PS five and Xbox and I played a little Yakuza because I had played Jakuza zero on switch to during the move craziness. It's like I should check out that the other Yakuza games because those are fun. But I've just been like dabbling with with stuff, haven't really sat down and got some of my teeth into something meaty yet.
Speaker 1: All right, well, then you know you got something to look forward to. Still, once you get everything settled for sure, let's explain what we do here and who we are. We're Giant Bomb. You can go to giant bomb dot com slash join, become a premium member, help us do what we do here. Your support goes a long way to ensuring we can continue to do cool things over here, including when we go to Summer Game Fest, or get together or send Mike and Dan out to San Francisco to make fools of themselves. You guys make that all possible. As far as this show goes, this is a wait. I've gotta score down here. Yes, there we go. Most weekdays, I, Jeff Grubb, will help peace your gaming life back together. That includes breaking news and maybe even some of our own original reporting. For all these topics, I'll get the input of a bona fide expert who will make me look smart. If you are watching live on Twitch Welcome. You can always listen to the show later on podcast feeds by searching for Game Mess Mornings, or find the RSS feed on giant bomb dot com. You can also catch the show later with chapters and timestamps on YouTube. Hello YouTube. All right, we have a lot to get into, so let's start the Morning Mess with Shanobi Art of Vengeance reviews our end and it's doing very well, Brittain. When I checked this morning, it was at an eighty nine on Open Critic, which is very very high. It's a very impressive talent mark up for a new game that it was helped by this nine out of ten from Steven Tailby at Push Square, who said Chanoby Art of Vengeance is hard to fault. We can take or leave the story. The platforming is occasionally frustrating, and levels can outstay there welcome sometimes, but that's basically it. This is otherwise a brilliant two D action platformer that looks gorgeous and plays even better thanks to kinetics, satisfying combat that feels superb when you get in the flow. If this is any indicator of Sega's other upo upcoming franchise revivals, We're in for some good times ahead. Skeith Rouche at Hardcore Gamer gave it a four out of five and said Schanoby's art a Vengeance is a fantastic experience from start to finish and a brilliant comeback for the classic franchise. The gameplay is stylish and will make players feel cool from start to finish. While it does suffer from a repetitive gameplay loop, players who want a two D action game that brings out the best of modern and classic game design will not be disappointed. And then Jay Krishnan at game find gave it a ninety five out of one hundred and said that the game is a fully reimagined tribute to a beloved classic with its stunning visuals, satisfying combat, smooth controls, and thoughtful modern quality of quality of life features. It's the complete package and might end up being one of my favorite games of the year. Britain. I played this at Summer Game Fest and I really liked what I touched. Mike played quite a bit more than me. He was also super into it, and so like coming away from it, like, yeah, that's awesome, you know, is it going to be that or Ninja Guide and when I when I get to these games, I think it's probably going to be both. Is where I'm at now that you know, I played Rage Bound, really enjoyed that, super happy to have this. Now, what do you think of these reviews? And how are you feeling about Shanobi Art of Vengeance? Yeah?
Speaker 2: It is sels of people in chat talking about how it's really the year of the Ninja un.
Speaker 1: Coming up as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, which is which is a good feeling, I think. And of the two, I think this is the one that I'm probably more inclined to lean towards with you know, a bit more of that exploration and stuff. I have a kind of an interesting history with Shenoby series in that most of what I played is that PS two game that was three D. Sure, yeah, which was fantastic, but it was not, you know, very different than what this game is. So I haven't played Ninja Gaiden yet because you know, with the move I'm like, I don't want something like too difficult. I don't want something with rage and the title. Maybe I get enough of that building furniture and maybe if this lets me you know, you know, explore a little bit of environments, and things like that, which it sounds like it does, sounds like it's at least decent. That that's it's definitely something I'm interested in checking out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I am also right there with you where it's like I'm you know, I'm I am a relatively big fan of those older Shnoby games. Mostly played like Shnobi at my friend's house. That was the he was that. My friend had the Genesis, I had the Super Nintendo over there. We play some Shnoby for sure, and then later on I played like Shnoby for game Gear and that was really good. And then Mike was talking up Shnobi three for a while, so I tried that. It was like, yes, this does own this is a bit like it. I always knew these games were very cool. It's amazing how much of that of that style holds up over time. They're just very strong on that front. This game very much leans into that and nails it based on what I played again and according to these reviews, So I'm excited. I'm gonna I'm gonna check this out. And like I said, I really enjoyed a rage Bound. Now, I did enjoy the platform in rage Bound, and a lot of the complaints being like, yeah, the platforming is not quite so hot in Shnoby. It's like, yeah, that bums me out a little bit. But also I don't when I think back to Shanoby, it is kind of an action game, a run and sword action game, and I think as long as they nailed that side of things, that's that's the more important aspect of Shnoby. One other thing though, that I didn't really think about until I read it here from Steven Tailby's review. Should we take this as an indication of where Sega might head with their other revival of classic games? You know, they have that big effort of bringing back Crazy Taxi and this game in that game and all, like there's like five or six games already announced, we've heard rumors of three or four more from their Classic Genesis catalog and beyond. Do you think that it's safe to be like, yeah, this, they're going for this level of quality for all those games.
Speaker 2: It's not a crazy idea. I think it probably depends on the game, right, Like I could see bring back something like Shining Force, like hey, get a good small studio, get a really good art style on that, and it can be something that could shine in, you know, with a high level of polish, but like this level of game, whereas I could see something even even like Echo the Dolphin, where they want to take more like, no, we're gonna make this photo realistic and be real serious about Like maybe that's not the way they're going to go with it, sure, but I think it's going to vary game to game, which is probably the right approach. But it sounds like at least they have found a way to do it's well and hopefully they can repeat that success with yeah, the rest of their back atalogue, because you know, there's people out there clamoring I'm sure for Golden Acts and all all sorts of stuff that we could potentially see in really good, revitalized forms.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think you're almost certainly right that it's going to be case by case and every game is going to require a different or it's going to present a different set of problems for them to solve and figure out, like what do we want to preserve here and what do we want to modernize. I guess I'll take it as a good sign that at least they are capable of this, right, Like there is a time when a company like Sega would be like, yeah, we're just going to park these things out, and so what at the very least for this initial effort, or what feels like the initial effort of them bringing back some of these games. I know they've they're constantly bringing back old games, but this does feel like the start of that recent campaign to bring it back all these games you weren't expecting. It's a good start. It is a sign that they are capable of this. And you know, eighty nine on open credit is really nothing to sneeze at. You know, we don't have to live or die by numbers, but that is a difficult thing to accomplish. And so yeah, cool, very good start. All right, let's move to this next story. A new Nintendo Direct is reportedly planned for mid September. This is from Jordan Midler at VGC. A Nintendo Direct presentation is reportedly planned for September. Reports of a Nintendo Direct have circulated for weeks now. Switch Force has suggested that a presentation will be held in September. I believe they said September twelfth is the date. Yes, that's where it says later you're in the story. Sources have told VGC that a Nintendo Direct presentation is in fact planned for mid September. It's also worth noting that, aside from twenty twenty four, a Nintendo Direct has been held virtually every September since the Nintendo Direct presentations began. Was there really not one last year? I know there was a year where there wasn't one. I didn't realize it was just last year that that didn't happen. While the contents of the presentation are currently unknown, it's likely that this Nintendo director will finally reveal the announcement of Metroid Prime for Beyond's release date. Game was just recently rated by the ESRB. Yeah, this is one of those where it's like we are all expecting this, although it's it's you know, still like people are hearing about it, separate from just looking back at Oh, it always happens since September and VGC is able to get some of that some of those details. What do you expect in Are you excited Britain? Are you ready for more games for your switch? Like they still have to kind of give us dates for a lot of their holiday releases.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know, I I was in a Nintendo call last week for dads. It was kind of a weird thing, and they were talking about some some upcoming stuff, like they mentioned Hyrou Warriors, they said the guy from Nintendo said this year. He didn't say this winter, which you know could mean anything. Take that with the range Grand of Salt. But I know people have talked about like that might slip into or the next year or whatever. So yeah, it feels like there are still a lot of unanswered things. I need to know when Metroids coming out, because that's my you know, that's the big thing for me is is this year I need to get my hands on Metroid. At the same time, I've been pretty okay with some of the smaller stuff. I've been playing a lot of Tiny Bookshop, which Shadow dropped how.
Speaker 1: Is that during Yeah, I think it was the Partner or yeah, you're right, the Indie Direct whatever it was.
Speaker 2: The Yeah, and it's just a great cozy little game where you sell books and it's I'm having a blast, really cute.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, like I've been stated with some of this stuff. At the same time, like I sometimes remember, like, oh, Hades two still isn't like actually out. I need that, And you know, there's a lot of stuff that could drop in and not direct that I'm really looking forward to. Also, the timing would be perfect for a trailer for the Super Mario World movie, and my son's going to want to watch that a million times, just the trailer alone, I'm sure.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's you know. I I never really think about it too much. Like when it comes to movies, something I'm a huge fan of, I just I like it happens when it happens. Is this about the time that we should expect a trailer for a movie that's coming out next summer? That does sound right, But I guess I haven't looked at it.
Speaker 2: I feel like with it being even if it's a tease, you know, with the Mario anniversary happening, Yeah, things coming next year. The stuff at Universal Studios has been going well, I feel like it would be good to capitalize on that. Now I could be wrong.
Speaker 1: But sure if it doesn't happen here, it could happen separate Nintendo Today app or something like that. But I do I bet that Universal is like, wait' these Nintendo directs get how many views?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 1: Okay? No, It's like in the contract the trailers have to debut at these Nintendo directs. I bet that's like something they talk about like that, the value of this thing that you have in terms of getting eyeballs on it is kind of unquestionably the best way for us to debut these things. So they did it with the last with the trailer for the for the first movie, I wouldn't be surprised. You're right if they do it now. Then the Mario Anniversary stuff really adds some heat to that fire as well. So I'm not expecting them to have a ton of other Mario things to trade on. Maybe a couple of small things for n SOO, maybe a couple other maybe a small game for nso like Mario thirty five, something along those lines. I don't know, but the trailer is something like they have to do that eventually, and maybe now is about the time to do that. Metroid Prime four will be the big thing though, You're right, that's I'm also kind of aching for information about that. Give us that day. The ESRB rating is very encouraging. That happened last week, and we always point out, you know, if you go six weeks six six weeks from that, which is usually when something gets rated by the SRB, it's coming out in about six weeks. That would put it at the end of September. Basically, I'm like continuing not to like not believe that it will be that fast. Britain. I'm like, let's I'm gonna pump the brakes and be like that feels like late October early November. That's me just kind of like not trying to a huff all of the hopium, but I do. I mean, look, we're gonna be getting information about this game because you know, the USRB rating is real, So it's not like this is a game that we're like, hey, you should probably just assume it's going to get delayed. Do they treat this like the big game for the holiday or or what? How do you think they handle this as.
Speaker 2: Much as I want them to, Because I Metro is one of my favorite into new franchises. I feel like, you know, they've already revealed their having that Pokemon bundle with a switch to like, and that feels like they're big holiday push. I could see Metro Prime being like a December like, hey, we know a lot of you are going to get this no matter what it does, it we don't need to get it before Black Friday. It's just going to drop sometime before the end of the year and you'll get it and be happy.
Speaker 1: I would like.
Speaker 2: Them to do more with it, but just kind of given the history of when they've launched some of these games, it wouldn't surprise me if they don't make a huge push of like though, this is the big switch to game and need to get this year.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm still hopeful that they will come out and say yeah, I Metro Prime four is probably coming out early November, late October, and between now and then, we could drop two and three on the Switch e Shop and you could play that and they're lightly updated, but they're updated enough with those controls that there. Now you could play all of the Metro Prime games on one system. That would be fantastic. I just don't know if that's going to be the way that they play that anymore, though, so we'll have to wait and see. All right, let's keep going here. Forts the Horizon six reportedly set to be revealed at Tokyo Game Show next month. This is from Darren Bonthus at Game Spot after tours across France, England and Mexico. Forts A Hurra is reportedly shifting the series over to Japan for its next slice of car racing. According to several leaks and at least one now deleted Instagram post hinting at it, the next chapter is set to be revealed next month at the Tokyo Game Show. That's according to a prolific leaker, Nate the Hate, and Window Central has backed up his reporting by claiming that it has seen documentation suggesting Forts the Horizon six will be shown off officially during the annual gaming event in Tokyo. Earlier this month, in Australian car import company uploaded an Instagram post showing off a Playground Games employee digitally scanning a rare compact Japanese car, adding more fuel to the fire when the post mentioned that it was for a new Forts of Horizon game. The Tokyo Game Show takes place September twenty fifth through the twenty eighth, and Microsoft has in the past held dedicated showcases during the event. As a reminder, Microsoft is under a boycott's Xbox specifically for making money off of the ethnic cleansing in Gaza. All right, Forts Horizon six in Japan. I think we had this conversation last week britten about this game where I was. We were looking at this Instagram post and had a person scanning the k Car, and you know, it was like, you know, I'm going to take this as a likely thing where they could go to Japan, mostly because Japan just feels right at this moment. Now. There was a person who's very closely watches sports in the chat who was saying, you know, people always expect Japan for the next game from this series, and they always tend to kind of go in a different direction, Like no one was really expecting Mexico when they announced Mexico. I don't think that's a reason to think they wouldn't go to Japan. But with the k Car, with them announcing probably a Tokyo game show, it just feeling like the right time. They've also kind of gone to all these other parts of the world. Maybe Japan kind of lines lines up now. We also suggest maybe it's Southeast Asia or something like in that region, but slightly different. I don't know I would welcome any of those, but I don't know. I think things are lining up for them to announce that Japan is going to be the setting, and I think that sounds fantastic or you afforts a Horizon fan, this is something that sounds good to you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, definitely a Horizon over traditional fortsa fan. Give me that arcade racing and the open world give me burnout that isn't burnout basically, And yeah, I feel like the oh people always expect Japan thing has merit at the same time, it has to happen eventually, right, Like people always expected Japan for Assassin's Creed and then it happened. So like, there's only so many real world locations you can go to, and it does seem like all the stars are aligning in this case to make that the case. I would be all for it. That sounds like a fun twist on things to me. I do like that series a lot. I would enjoy driving around that environment. So yeah, if that's really what's happening, then I'm excited to hop into another sports a game.
Speaker 1: Do you think with Forts and Horizon six launches it launches simultaneously on Xbox and PlayStation. That's a great question, right, It's tough to nail down for sure, but I don't know which way do you lean.
Speaker 2: That seems like one of the safer bets for Microsoft to say yeah, we're gonna just do this everywhere at once. You know, it's not like a Halo where it's something you might still want to push as an exclusive thing, even though Microsoft is backing further and further away from exclusives, right, it is more of a mainstream the same way that like MLB the show was like a hey, yeah, we'll just put this everywhere because everybody likes sports, right, everybody likes driving, everybody likes cars. At least that's you know, the mindset. I feel like they would take, let's put this thing everywhere and get as mini sales as we can out of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I mean it's clearly tooth based out of the tube in terms of, well, this game's obviously coming to PlayStation at some point like that, there's just no question there anymore. It is way too successful on PlayStation for them to now say no to that money, and there's no sort of reversing the very heavy ship that is moving them toward multiplatform releases or trying to undo the damage that's been done to the Xbox platform in terms of it being a console and getting people excited about that. So it's going to PlayStation. I kind of like when I so like we start there, said well why wait? Why wait? Like, what does that really get you at that point? Now? I think maybe you could say the one reason to wait is it didn't actually hurt the sales of Forts the Horizon five to come to PlayStation significantly later. It is the best selling PlayStation release of the year or PlayStation five game of the year, apparently according to everyone who tracks that those metrics. So it'd say, okay, you can wait and still sell just fine. But maybe if you've released it at the same time and had the marketing like lined up and got all that excitement in one go, it sells extremely well in PlayStation. You know a lot of game pass gamers get it on Xbox and you just make all the money right in one go. I just when you when I put it like that, it's like I kind of can't see a reason for them not to do it. Can you, Like, do you think that they're still interested in like having like six months of exclusivity just to keep Xbox people somewhat happy? I mean, who cares?
Speaker 2: I feel like, you know, granted I own all the systems, but as a game Pass subscriber, I feel like, hey, if it's on game Pass, like that's that's the thing that keeps me happy, because then I'm not going to go buy a copy of it, whether it's on Xbox or a PlayStation. I could see maybe, you know, depending on when this actually comes out, maybe they'd also just want to give the last Horizon game one more time to breathe on PlayStation. So that might be a reason why you hold back and say like, no, y'all, y'all are good for a bit, and then come back in a few months and we'll give you this new one. But I don't know if there's good reasons let's put it that way to hold it back.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think the only reason that they might be like, well, you pointed out two reasons, because that the like giving forts Rice and five more room to breathe on there might make sense because the game is selling so well, you don't want to like cut that off too soon, although you know, it probably could just continue to sell, like Mexico's different than Japan, maybe and you could make a point of that or something. I don't know, but you know, this is a team that is used to like putting out a game for Xbox, so maybe they don't have the development pipeline to get it ready for multiple platforms at release, And if that's the case, I wouldn't try to force it on them just to like make this work, because again, you've proven that you can release it later and sell just fine, and you maybe don't want to mess with things. You want to get the game right. So we'll see. I just think, you know, these are the kinds of conversations we have now, and in a year, maybe not even but maybe at least two years, or you know, after two years, we probably just get to a point where it's like, yeah, of course it's an Xbox game. It's going everywhere, it's going to be on PlayStation right at release, and we don't even have this conversation anymore. That's coming very soon. All right, We're going to take a break. We got to go talk to talk about our sponsor MSI. If you want to skip out on these, you can go to giant bomb dot com slash join become a premium member that gets you add free versions of this show and all of our other shows. You didn't do that, though, So let's get to the ad. We'll be right back after this jam. My computer is sick. I've decided it's time to start building a new one. I just don't know where to start. Grub.
Speaker 3: If your computer is SICKI pooh, you gotta start with MSI, which just drops something big in its brand new Z eight ninety and B eight sixty Intel motherboards.
Speaker 1: Are those the motherboards that unlock the power of the Intel Core Ultra series two CPUs.
Speaker 3: Yes, sir, These lobos, as we're calling them on the streets are powerhouses for gaming, streaming and whatever intense tasks you need to throw at them.
Speaker 1: Uh oh okay, but Jane, you know me. I'm scared of tools that screwdrivers so sharp it's okay, bud.
Speaker 3: MSI made them jeffproof meb Dan proof as well, which means they're easy to work with. No more wrestling with tiny little screws or confusing manuals. We're talking easy dbug LEDs that tell you exactly what's going on toolless installs for your M two drives and jipoos or GPUs. We're calling them jipoos two now, okay hell yeah, oh okay yeah.
Speaker 1: MSI has that modern bios as well that looks like it was actually made for humans to use not some relic from two thousand and three. Give me more of that.
Speaker 3: Yes, that's right. It's going to be so easy to get secure boots on the ground. It's like PC building on easy mode grub. And here's the best part. Giant BombCast listeners, MSI is giving you ten percent off these new so regularly priced Z eight ninety and B eight sixty boards. Just head over to ushstore dot m SI dot com and use promo code BombCast at checkout boom instant savings.
Speaker 1: Oh, I'm gonna stack that discount. They allow you to do that with MSIs got ongoing promotions. That's potentially gonna score me up to one hundred and twenty dollars in Steam codes. It's basically free games just for upgrading. Everyone listening should do the same. So if you're ready to upgrade your setup, do not wait.
Speaker 3: Visit us dashstore dot MSI dot com and use the code BombCast bom c A S t all in lowercase and give your PC the upgrade it deserves.
Speaker 1: MSI making PC building less of a headache and a lot more fun. Mobo, we are back for Game mess Mornings to Britain. Peel and Jeff grub. We're going to get back into the headlines here with the Division two Survivors has been announced coming to twenty twenty six. But before we do that, real quick, when I mentioned that Packs East is this weekend, right is that right? Jaacks West is this weekend, Pax West. Don't go to Boston, that would be stupid. Go to Seattle for packs and if you go there, find the MSI booth. Go say hi to them and tell them Giant Bombs sent in you, and you can get entered into a chance to win some of their products. It's it's gonna be worth it, so definitely go make that happen. Go for the MSI booth at PAS West, tell them Giant Bomb sent you. Okay, let's get into this Division two Survivor story, which is not, as chat thought, a story about people who survived the Division two. Instead, it is a new game coming in twenty twenty six. This is from Jordan Miller at VGC. Ebisoft has announced the Division two Survivors. Survivors is described as a survival extraction experience. That's right, Britain, don't don't put your point of your head down and like a frustration with yet another extraction shooter. Let's get excited, it's coming next year. The Division two Survivors is as much your baby as it is ours. It's not my baby, and we strive for trans parency during its development, said Julian Garrity, Executive producer. Clear. Communication and community involvement are a focus as we build this new experience and will be closely fall involving you as we move forward on the development journey. Yeah, I mean those those are really the details here that it's an extraction survival experience. I'll say that I think that the Division makes some sense for that because there was definitely some extraction elements in one of the modes in that game. I just don't know if it needs to be spun out into its whole other own thing. You'd be sometimes done this a bunch of times now, or attempted to do it a bunch of times now Britain, and it's never really ever worked out for them these spinoffs from their more popular games. How are you feeling about the Division two Survivors.
Speaker 2: Yeah, even if it's not this, it just feels like trim chasing, because you make the point, this kind of fits in universe, just like it could have been something that naturally came about in development of like, oh, we could do this thing, that'd be fun. But because of the environment we're in where everything is an extraction shooter, it feels like there's it's ubisof saying we could do one of those, and I don't have a lot of faith out of the gate that could go well. I liked the Division and the Division too just fine. I thought they were enjoyable experiences when I played them, and you also like can be really good at you know, this multiplayer focus stuff like Raymos Suxieged was huge for a long time and maybe still is huge. I don't know how much on it in a while. But so it's not to say that like it's impossible that they can make this work, but just the it feels like a weird time. I guess it's my point.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And it's it's weird because they have tried this so many times before, and last year you be Soft canceled. This is a story again. Ubisoft canceled The Division. Heartland, a free to play multiplayer survival action shooter set in a fictional rural rural can never say that word community in Middle America, So you know, they were making a free to play a multiplayer survival action shooter. Now they're making what I'm assuming is a free to play survival extraction experience. The difference there, it's being maybe more of an emphasis on extraction. I bet they are taking a lot of what they were doing with Heartland and reworking it here. But that you know, Heartland's just one of these games that they've either attempted to release or did release and it didn't go anywhere. You know, Rainbow six, what was the Call of Duty like game? I can't even remember the name now, And yeah, there's you know, or the Outbreak, the one there, the one where they had the zombies and stuff. There's a whole bunch of these and it just never seems to have paid off. This is like part of the Ubisoft strategy from the last Tennis years where they went from hey, we have these blueprint games is what they called them, where hey, we have a blueprint for me making an Assassin's Creed. We have Quarantine is the name of the Rainbow six game. I was thinking of a we have a blueprint for how to make an Assassin's Creed game or a far Cry game, and we're just gonna do that for each one of those. They went from that to what they called the Mothership strategy, which is, we have a mothership game and that's the Division two or that is Rainbow six Siege, and then we're gonna have all of these sort of uh uh, you know baby ships that come off come off the mothership, and they're going to be smaller, standalone games that are going to succeed because they have this bigger game that they're attached to, and none of those have ever really have ever really worked. But that said, extraction is something that like I think I first heard that term really from the Division, So I bet that there are people in that community who are going, this isn't us chasing a trend. This is us extrapolating on an idea that has always been in the Division and now doing it, you know, with you know, full throatedly and really believing that, like this is a series that can take advantage of this or not at ken, I don't know. And it just from the outside Britain looking at this, I think at least we are now. I've enjoyed the Division in the past, but I look at it from the outside now it does still feel like and also ran because there's so many people heading in the same direction. So do you think the Division can do something now to stand out and make this like recapture the excitement that people had for the Division initially?
Speaker 2: You know, it's also a weird time for the Division IP specifically given America right now, So I don't know. I would like to think that they could figure it out. There are very talented developers at Ubisoft's various studios that could do clever things. And you know what, maybe I'm just bitter because I don't have enough friends to play fun extraction shooters with or you know, any just multiplayer focus games with. Yeah, let's give them a shot. I guess I'm not a post you know, I'm not saying ban all of these from even being developed, Like, yeah, no, if you have cool ideas, let's try make your thing. But I think I need to see more to believe.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think I'm like when I think about you Besoft, generally it's like this one of the things I want from them. No, it's not what I want you be Soft to be doing. Do I know what I want them to do be doing? Not necessarily because they have beefed so many things. I do look at Julian Garrity though, and you know, he did oversee Star Wars Outlaws, and I enjoyed that. I recognize though the reality of they're not going to be able to do a SEQL to that, although apparently one was planned at one point, and it's like, you know that, I get that, no more Star Wars Outlaws. That's fine, that one game is going to be a one time thing. Sure, I don't know if I'm happy that Julian Garretty has sort of had to retreat to making a spin off of The Division again, something that he had previously worked on, and now he oversees the Division and it's like, I don't know, I just don't get too excited about that personally now the same time, I recognize the Division is pretty close to being one of those Ubisoft franchisees that is going to be a forever hit. Like people do like The Division quite a bit, But I don't know. I just overall with Ubisoft not sure if I'm in a place where I can trust anything that they're putting out. And it bumps me out when it feels like they are retreating because it like they're getting so much smaller, and we've seen that with them spin off, that new ten Cent funded version of the Ubisoft that's just going to focus on I believe Far Cry, Assassin's Creed, and one other franchise I can't maybe a Rainbow six. I think it's like, okay, so that's what's happening over there, and then these people being left over here are going to work on these kinds of games, like a small Divisions spinoff that feels like it's could have been a mode in the previous Division games. I'm just continue to be When I look at a Ubisoft, it feels like looking at a car crash. Do you feel like this is anything that we can read into like where Ubisoft is that right now? Or does this feel like business as usual from this publisher.
Speaker 2: I think given recent years, it is more business as usual than maybe some of us would even like to admit now. They haven't also stopped doing things I think are interesting. I was playing some rogue Prince of Persia the other day and like, that's a cool, neat little thing, and I would like more of those neat little things, even from you know, if we take the mothership idea and make like, here's a smaller Prince of Persia, here's a smaller Assassin's Creed. Whatever. I think what I want is a little bit more weird. I was as part of the move, I was unpacking a bunch of like three Yes games. I unpacked that Ghost Recon like turn based strategy game that launched with the three DS, and just remembering how phenomenal that was, even though like you wouldn't have expected it necessarily. No. Now, if you read that like one of the Xcom people was making it and that sort of thing, maybe you would know it was gonna be cool. But at the time, it felt like it came out of nowhere and it just had the Ghost Recon name on it. That's more what I would like to see in terms of like Ubisoft getting back to maybe where they were, is like trying a lot more little stuff that is a little bit more risky and not stuff that is, well, we could do another online thing, I guess, but I don't know. I mean, there's a reason I'm not on the business side of this industry, so I could be you know, completely misguided in that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, people point out that Ubisoft Ubisoft Game was our Game of the year last year here at Giant Bomb or Prince of Persia The Lost Crown. But it's like, yeah, that's another example of the concern here is that team basically got disbanded after they made that game and it did win some Game of the Years and things like that, and they went to work on Assassin's Creed and other stuff like that. So yeah, I just even when you make something that people love, Ubisoft's not quite happy with it. It's going to kind of crash and burn and they won't follow up on it unless it's one of these three core franchises. All right, let's keep moving here. Skate early access release date is going to get announced this week. This is from the Skate account on Twitter. We're stoked to reveal the official Skate cover art come back on Tuesday, August twenty sixth, So that is tomorrow we're giving you the early access release date. Seeya. Then, this game has been in closed testing for a long time. They've kind of built it alongside that community community. They are getting ready to launch this thing as an early access game. As a reminder, it's going to be free to play. What are your expectations for the new and fourth skate game.
Speaker 2: I hate saying this, but I'm less excited than I was before Tony Hawk came out, just because that kind of fulfilled that need for me, Like I really wanted to skate around a bunch, and now I've done that, and so part of me is like, maybe I'm good. I know skate has traditionally been a pretty different thing, so hopefully you know, there's still plenty of room here, and I do think there is room here. People have been clamoring for a new skate for a long time, but for me personally, I wish I was a little more excited than I was when this game was first announced. So it's a bit of a bummer that it has taken this long to get to this point.
Speaker 1: Yep. I when I kind of look at Skate right now, it's still like, okay, I like the general idea, but now they're at a point where they have to execute. And as a reminder, the general idea is they have a world with like different you know, a city with different neighborhoods, and you can go in there and there's missions. I'm sure one of the big ideas is go online, connect with your friends and hang out in sessions for or like a couple hours at a time where you can kind of take turns doing tricks, and then someone else could take turns building up a course or adding elements to existing things in the world, and then now you're like, Okay, now let's try this now that we've built that thing, and I like that, but yeah, it's it's now down to execution. And I think, you know, the word getting out of the testing early access period of the closed one was like, yeah, I mean, it's not quite there yet, but they're going to launch this thing in a public early access and that should give them a chance to like really bring things together. They are gonna have to like have a spark there at the beginning, right because they are going to get compared to tonyak and, as you pointed out, very different games. But I still think people are gonna be like, they're not gonna have a ton of patients. I don't think for this one. I don't think they're gonna be like, oh Ea, sure you have time to figure this out, baby girl, you take your time. It's gonna be a situation where it's like, if there isn't that spark of something very special right away, I think this game's gonna get sort of junked all over. Does that sound right to you?
Speaker 2: I think so? Yeah, I think you're on the mark there. I do think that skating handmake for that good like, oh, just hang out with your friends, experiment or like experience or you know, good, have podcasts on in the background while I play this thing. There's room there for this to fill that sort of gap. But yeah, unless you already have friends doing that, who are going to say, hey, hop on skate for a bit and like let's catch up and talk about our weeks. What's going to draw people there in the first place. So yeah, if if they can hook people, I think they might have a shot. But yeah, what is that hook? In a world where Tony Hawk just came out and this has been kind of this was anounced, it feels like a long time ago at this point because of how fast.
Speaker 1: Four or five years ago. Yeah, and they announced it before they even like started the studio. Really, it was the two people like, we're going to start a studio to make this game. So hence four or five years later and now we're just getting their early access release. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Now, now they did have that trailer. I forget at what event it was, but that had like a good vibe to it of like, oh the tone here, like a little comedic. This is this seems right for what they need skate to be. So maybe there's a lot of that. Maybe there's just a lot of personality and you know, the world feels alive in ways that make me, Yeah, I want to go hang out here for a bit. But I could see. I'm definitely not writing off skate I think it could work. My fingers are crossed for that studio, I guess, because I know this has been a long time coming.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think, you know, in terms of things that are working in its favor, skateboarding has never been more popular globally. Is massive in Brazil, it's massive in Japan, It's growing all across the world. Kids are getting into it. And these are kids that do not necessarily have an affinity even for Tony Hawk as a person. Now I know that's extreme. Many of them do have an affinity for Tony Hawk. He is godfather of skateboarding. They all recognize him as such, but not as much as a generation where it's just like that was the skateboarder. It's very different from that, and I think that creates an opportunity, especially for a free to play game, a free to play game that can appeal to places where people aren't necessarily buying sixty seventy eighty dollars console games. So I think Skate has a chance. And maybe what we find out is we come back here, do a show together two years from now Britain and we get a story about, oh, skate is massive, just not maybe in the United States, maybe it's just big everywhere else. I could see that happening.
Speaker 2: Yeah, or maybe we're doing the show from within skate because all that exists anymore. Yeah, very like totally the doors are wide open, and yeah, we are maybe in a world where more people, more young people recognize Tony Hawk from Twitter and from people not recognizing Tony hawks do from like actually watching him do skateboard tricks.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean he's a media like he's kind of like a prequel meme in a lot of ways to these kids kind of in that same zone. So yeah, and that again like that that that's fine. And the game does feature a lot of those globally popular skateboarders Nicha Houston, Uh and a lot of the kids that are twelve year olds doing nine hundreds from Japan and stuff like that, and so if you want to go see them in a game like There's that is still Tony Hawk, but I still think you know, free to play available everywhere a hangout game. Maybe that's more in line where we're with where the current skate culture is at, and maybe skate can take advantage of it. We'll see. You Could replaye appears to be getting a proper physical release for switch To. This is from Liam Dulan at Nintendo Life. This might be some good news for the collectors out there. You Could Replay ly is do out on switch To this year, and it appears it will be getting a proper physical release on Nintendo's new hybrid platform. A new listing has recently popped up on the Canadian website Video Games Plus, and according to the description, the full game is on the card once again. This title is being distributed with the help of PM Studios, so I think they're doing the physical release. Along with this, a new teaser trailer has been has also been released via Igan's Gamescom showcase, with developer Platonics Game announcing its next major update about yuku row Playly will be taking place during the Mixed Fall showcase on the twenty ninth of August, so later this week. In an update earlier this month, PM Studios mentioned how Yukaro Playe was now content complete, with a release date announcement coming soon. There were some other details about this of like, oh, the game, Like the pricing for it was like fifty bucks or something like that. Maybe that might be placeholder. Not sure if that's accurate, but people are like trying to be able to figure it out. Like if that's accurate and this game is coming out on the card, it'll likely still be using one of those sixty four gigabyte cards, which are expensive, and yet the price this would be the lowest price we've seen for one of these games that uses the card, the sixty four gigabyte card and puts the entire game on there. So it's like so like there was another game that was like, hey, we're going to get a physical release on everything and the full game will be on even on the card on the switch tube, We're going to have to charge ten dollars more. I think it's the Mortal Kombat Legacy collection that is doing that it's like it's gotta be ten dollars more because those sixty sixty four gigabyte cards are more expensive. Well, you could replay lease. Seems to be bucking that trend a little bit. Do you think like this is like the direction a lot of games like this are going to go, the games that maybe are the sort of thing that caters to people who collect video games, or are is it going to be sort of a crap shoot where it's like every once in a while we'll get one of these publishers that recognizes how important this is.
Speaker 2: I think it'll be a mix of both. I think there has been one of those, like physical companies that might have been limited run that has said, like, oh yeah, any Switch to game we do is going to be on the card because we know who don't care about that. And there's still going to be cases and this was the case on the original Switch as well, where it's gonna be different in different territories as well, Like I just imported a copy of Fantasy Life from Japan because that well it's the only physical copy that exists, but the whole game is on the card for the switch too, So I think you will see pockets of that, and it is a bummer to me that it's news, Like, hey, this game that maybe you when we're talking about otherwise, is it's a news story because you get the whole thing in the box when you buy it. But also I'm a broken man, and that had made that made me go, maybe I do actually want to play the remmake because I want to get I want more reasons to play my Switch To. I want a bigger physical Switch To collection, And it makes sense in this context. So yeah, it might have genuinely sold me on the game just by having that on the card. Now, obviously there's the stuff that you've talked about before about space and whatnot. So it is gonna be interesting if this is the same sixty four good card. And I can't imagine they're like taking a loss on it. But I do wonder what the margins look like, because at least it may be their places holder prices. But it looks like it was priced the same way on Switch To in like PS five, So it'd be interested to see how this stuff shakes out.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that for games like this it might be enough to like just sort of convince Nintendo to rush completion and the availability of smaller cards for developers, because so it doesn't matter how big Yu could replayly is it's it's not sixty four gigabytes in terms of size. That's the only card that is available if you want to put a game on and not force a download on someone, which you know could really it's gain key cards and then the sixty four gigabyte card and then code in the box. Those are your options. Still, I think still maybe or maybe not. Maybe this is the first one that's going to be on a sixteen gigabyte card and that's why it can be costs less. We just haven't heard that, and it seems unlikely that this would be the first game to sort of break that out. So yeah, we'll see. I just think for every little news story about this, it all seems to be moving in the direction of yeah, sure and intend. A lot of people are digital, a lot of people don't care about this, but this is a mental thing for many people, and for collectors it is a tangible, real thing that they do not like. You know, there was a an organization in Japan that like collects games for posterity, and they're like, we're not taking game key cards. That doesn't make any sense. No, we're not going to be keeping those in our collection. And it's like, I think at a certain point intend it would be like, yeah, we want things to go in one way, but we have to recognize the reality on the ground, and stories like this sort of reiterate what the reality on the ground is, and that is people want the game on the card. If they're going to be buying the card, they want it on the card. And I just think that, even as someone who plays digitally, that makes a ton of sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I as of right now, I have one game key card, and that's Yakus Zero. I kind of bought it because, like I had money at best Buy and I was on the shelf and I wanted to play it, so I got it. They're not as bad as they could have been, you know. I think there's also some almost fear mongering of like these are the worst things that's ever existed. Like that's honestly, they're a lot like a lot of PS five discs are right, but it does still suck if you, Yeah, are a collector, and I collect enough that, yeah, I want a physical copy of games I love, Like I would love a physical on the card switch to copy of blueprints. I want a copy of c if you know, assuming those games come to Switch, which I'm hoping they do. I've played those on other systems already, but I loved them. Those are my two favorite games of the year so far, and I want to display them on my I have a thing for displaying things on shelves, so I would really like to do that with the games I love, too. And it's a lot easier if I know in ten years I can pop that card into a system and play it again. And I think there are publishers that are waking up to that and realizing that whether or not they want to make the push or spend the money in some cases to appease the people like me, is another question. And sometimes maybe it's just genuinely not financially viable. But it's definitely a thing that is It's not a situation that's going away like this has been such a big talking point since the Switch launched.
Speaker 1: Yep. I think it's going to be a thing that Nintendo will have to just sort of like concede a little bit on and just offer up some other options options to developers. So that it's more likely that a game will be on the card than not, you know, like a year or so. We'll see last couple of stories here. Just they all hit this one real quick. Digital Foundry. You know, there was a lot of complaining about elder Ring. People are getting in their hands on with that at games Com, and that was the focus of like, hey, switch to eldern Ring gameplay, it's really bad and handheld mode. There was not all bad news for the Switch to out of that show. People did play Final Fantasy seven remake and pointed out it's awesome. Digital Foundery said it might be the best looking thing I've seen on switch to the graphic fidelity. According to John Lenneman shouts out to John. He said, it's he's guessing he hasn't had a chance to do side by side comparison. They have not provided that footage for him to do that, but he's guessing that. But by looking at it, it's somewhere between PS four and PS five, which is where you want games on the Switch to to land right now. So I just it's going to be case by case basis with these games right right Britain where it's like one game could run really well and the next one could have a lot of issues. Might depend on the developer, might depend on the engine, might depend on a million factors. But this is possible as well as what's happening with elden Ring, right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, for sure. And I've been seeing people on various reddits and so on just saying like, oh, yeah, this is it's a frumt Soft thing. It's a band I namcode thing, like they can't optimize their games. So I think it is going to be studio by studio, like you think, like to the original Switch with the Doom games, Like we're kind of like miraculously on there, just because people it's software that are really really good at optimizing their engines and for you know, whatever piece of hardware you've got, so we're gonna get stuff like that. I, as a final Fantasy fan, am very happy to hear yes, this one is running well. I really even though I didn't love the original Devin as much as some people do, I'm really loving the remake games. So yeah, I would love another excuse to play that, and so it's great to hear that's it runs well because I also wanted a good excuse to replay elden Ring, and now I'm worried that this isn't going to be that excuse. Yeah, so it matters.
Speaker 1: Get frustrating too, because elden Ring runs just fine on a Steam deck. Maybe just fine, might be pushing it, but it runs better than what the reports of the switch to version have been. And it's like, there's no excuse for that. The game should be fine. But yeah, we'll see last story. Jeff Keeley's Opening Night Live twenty twenty five reached seventy two million live stream views. So whenever you wonder why the shows are the way that they are and and like how can he charge so much money for a minute of air time, well that's it. That's a lot of eyeballs. It's not as big as Summer Game Fest or the Game Awards. I think the Game Awards is over one hundred million these days, and Summer Gamefest the last one was close to that if not. If not, it was I think north of ninety million live streamview views. But seventy two million is still massive. It's why he can command the prices he commands. I guess you know. With that in mind, my question to you, Britten before we move on to the wrapping up the whole question and all that stuff would be do you think for the amount of attention that these things get, that the shows are serving the purpose that they should serve. Are they good shows for helping people sell video games? I guess.
Speaker 2: If you'd asked me before the most recent one, I would have said, yeah, sure, you know, I wasn't as excited about opening up live as maybe some of the other shows. But I think plenty of these shows, yeah, are they're entertaining? Yeah, I think they maybe don't fit the original mission of or at least like the Game Awards, that doesn't always fit the same original mission of It's like the Oscars but for us, because it's so much of that salesy stuff. But if you look at it for that lens of like, no, this is gonna be a show that's just entertaining. We're gonna sell you stuff, but it's gonna be stuff that you're interested in and that you'll enjoy. I think largely speaking, they do a pretty good job of that. I think they bring in good co hosts like Lucy James. Uh yeah, you know, push that even further, so, uh yeah, it makes sense. That's still a lot of money. I think maybe we need to boost the giant bomb Game of the Year numbers up so we can you know.
Speaker 1: That's where the shit happens. That's the real game of the year. We always say trademark, trademark.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but but I mean, good on Keiley for building the empire. I do. I mean, I don't even I don't cover those shows for work because my job has changed in recent years, and I still tune in to watch them. So yeah, I think mission accomplished in that sense.
Speaker 1: All right, Uh, we got let's get to the poll question. This is from last week. Let me go ahead and refresh real quick. Yeah, let's get the recent, most recent results. Where do you want to go in the next forts horizon? We did give people a choice between Japan, Southeast Asia, Southeast Asia, or anywhere else. Like we said, somewhere else, but just anywhere else. And anywhere else got seventeen percent. Southeast Asia got eighteen percent. The vast majority of respondents two thirds, actually said they want to go to Japan next. You know, Japan's always a popular answer for one of these, But brand I just continue to think, Yeah, that just makes sense. At this point, they've been to England and Colorado, and they've been to Mexico and I think they did Australia once and something else. So yeah, they've not been to the Far East yet. So this makes a lot of sense to me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, just in terms of having diversity right environments, I think it makes sense to go go somewhere that's not America. Get like, I live in Texas. For a long time, I was like, set GTA and Texas, bring everything here your full question.
Speaker 1: We'll get to that here in a second before we Yeah, oh, I think we might be losing someone. Is we still?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Are are we good? Are we back? I can't tell Jen? You tell me? Are we can you get we lost you for a second? Okay, that makes sense, all right, I am back. I believe the connection here on discords says it's all golden. So all right, well let's wrap up with the we're actually you know, let's do the thing. Britain, Why do you tell people where they can find you on the internet, what you have going on? All that good stuff?
Speaker 2: Yeah, these days I'm mostly just at Britain Peel dot com on Blue Sky. Uh, That's where I'm spending most of my social media time. I have accounts elsewhere. You can follow me on Instagram if you want to. I don't post there much. I also the rare occasion I write. Most recently, I wrote for the Chicago Sun Times covering the switch to launch. That is where I am employed full time, as with Chicago Public Media. So that's scab sometimes w easy. That is public radio and public media who are hurting a little bit lately for you know, political reasons. So if you know good reasons is if you have local radio or you know local media near you that's independent and that you rely on for any for anything, entertainment, news, whatever, you know, maybe throw them a few bucks because there's I think in Chicago, like we're we're dedicated to fighting the good fight. We're going to be around. But some of the more rural areas are are hurting. So yeah, check them out. But I live in Texas, so if you're in the Dallas area, maybe you'll see me around. Are there.
Speaker 1: Excellent? Yeah, definitely. I listened to MPR every day of my life and I supported everyone else should as well. Thank you Britain. Okay, let's see here new poll question, which ninja game are you going to play? Chanobi Art of Vengeance, Ninja Guide and Rage Bound or Ninja Guide in four. We also have an all of them option. You could vote get that. We'll get the results. We'll talk about it on Games Morning's here on Giant Bomb on Wednesday. On Tuesday, we have the BombCast. Later today it's Mitch owns Mondays. We're gonna have Monday Morning Missed with Mitch. That's gonna be happening here in a little bit. We're gonna continue a riven I believe that's happening at two pm Eastern. Let me double check that. Yep, two pm Eastern. That's eleven am Pacific. And then later tonight it's Mega Man Monday Evening gaming at Mike's at night that's at eight pm Eastern, and he'll be solo something, soloing something. I don't know. Maybe I'll hop in there and join him, but he's got something happening. So yep, all right, that's us for today and tomorrow. Beyond that, we're gonna be here all week. Everyone should tune in. It's gonna be a good one no matter what happens, it's gonna be a lot of fun, all right, Brittin, thank you so much for hanging out with me today today and talk about video games. Man, I really appreciate it.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much. This is always a highlight for me. Love doing it. Happy to be back whenever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, we'll have you back anytime. Just let us know whenever you're available. We'd love to get you back on. Thank you everybody for watching and thank you for listening. You are the best audience in gaming. Until next time, have a good one, take care of yourself and goodbye.