Speaker 1: Reach down and grab a couple of plump tomatoes. It's time for sports ketchup. Catchupun sports sports catcher, catchup, buns. I would totally go see that man in the eighties. Man, that man sounds great. Uh you'all want to catch up on the j Kid thing?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, very so.
Speaker 1: Mark Stein, who used to broadcast in this very studio, had a report to He had a report Tuesday that the Knicks were going to ask permission to talk to Jason Kidd, and you know, we talked about the other day and then we talked about the connections that made sense as to why there was a kid Nick's connection. Now he had another report today saying they have asked for permission now, so it's escalated and it's now are the Mavericks going to give them permission?
Speaker 3: Uh?
Speaker 1: Udoka, the coach of the Houston Rockets. Houston, according to Stein, has put out a word that you can ask permission. You ain't getting it. We're not coming off of him now. I have not heard what the Mavericks are or aren't going to do. But as Stein got into it, you know, we talked about the connection with you know, Jalen Brunson. We talked about Casey Smith and I had mentioned this the other day and Stein talked a little bit about it. You know, Casey was involved in getting Kid hired here there was a group of guys that worked with Cuban. But I've seen a lot of people out there on the internet be like, Okay, well if you're getting rid of Kid, like, why wouldn't you get rid of Nico? And I don't know if people remember Nico and Kid were hired independently of one another. That was not Nico's hire. Nico was in the process of getting hired when Kid got hired, so they were not They knew each other, but they were not hey, this is the GM and here's my coach. They were an arranged marriage and then they had a lot of success together. So I don't know that, you know, I know that they've found ways to work together, but I don't know that Kid has some strong allegiance to Nico and vice versa.
Speaker 2: But they've done a good job working together.
Speaker 3: So do we know if Nico has his own guy, Like like if the Mavericks came off a Jay Kidd and hopefully they'd get something good in return if they did that and essentially traded their coach. Would they just take one of the in house guys or does Nico have a relationship with some coach out there.
Speaker 2: That's the really interesting thing.
Speaker 1: I'm sure he does, but I don't know it because usually an executive comes from some tree and you can start connecting dots.
Speaker 2: I mean, I don't know who that would be.
Speaker 3: It'd have to be US Olympics, right, like it would be like the USA guys.
Speaker 1: So or maybe you know, when he was with Nike, there's a guy like you know that was a Nike client. That's a I mean, I don't know. I'm totally speculating. But they have two highly coveted guys on their staff. Jared Dudley is highly coveted and Sean Sweeney almost got the Phoenix job, right, and so he's he's highly respected and in there's talk that Memphis is interested in stealing Dudley to be an assistant there and that Sweeney's gonna get Oh Sweeney.
Speaker 2: Apparently the San Antonio Spurs want him to be on their staff.
Speaker 3: Why wouldn't you just do what Jerry Jones won't do and just say, who is the greatest coach on earth? Who's available, Let's go get that guy because we have so much to lose here. Yeah, we can't mess this up. I don't know that I want to roll the dice with a young guy. Maybe it's good, maybe it's not. But why wouldn't you just say, who is the greatest coach on earth? Who's available, Let's go get him?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think that'd be good. And I like Tom Cruise, Like Tom Cruise, even go get him? And also like Sean Sweeney's been here and I've watched him run practice, like players are familiar with him.
Speaker 2: But I also don't know.
Speaker 1: I mean, so much of this has to do with Kyrie and Anthony Davis and who they like. Anthony Davis played with Jared Dudley in LA when they want a championship, right, So there's that kind of an idea. There's also keep in mind, which I had forgotten about this until I read Stein's article, Kid interviewed with the Knicks when Thibodeaux got the job, and apparently did really well in the interview, but they went with Tibbs. So there's other connections there besides the brunch and the Casey thing.
Speaker 2: I don't think and I don't know this.
Speaker 1: I don't think kids looking to get out of here, but I think kids like probably going, oh, this is pretty awesome because the Western Conference as hard as hell, and the Eastern Conference Celtics are being dismantled. The Pacers, you know, we talked about them earlier. They're lightning in a bottle. So if you're looking at getting to the finals, man, the Knicks are going to be front.
Speaker 3: Runners next year in the Eastern Conference. You still have a contender with the number one pick, which is rare.
Speaker 2: Yep. That seems to buy you a lot of time to stay.
Speaker 1: Kids in an amazing position, you know, to be wanted by what is going to be the best team in the Eastern Conference next year. And also this is a wild card, but if Johanness were to force himself out of Milwaukee, he loves Chason Kidd and so that puts the Knicks and the catbird seat to be one of the teams that Jannis would want to go to.
Speaker 2: How could they get him?
Speaker 1: I mean it'd be like Karl Anthony Towns and Michale Bridges that sort of a thing.
Speaker 2: Wow, you know, but I mean if I'm you know, I don't even know.
Speaker 1: It's so weird that we haven't heard anything on Janni's I'm not one hundred percent sure that he's going to force his way out of there, and there's no way for the Mavericks to get him without giving up Cooper flag.
Speaker 2: To get Jannis, now, I wouldn't even entertain he's like skid.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but I'm saying, like, the wouldn't you start giving up all the salary and what takes a get him. You're not gonna You're gonna be like, you're gonna be back to that. Okay, if we don't win in the next six months, we're over.
Speaker 2: It sounds a lot better for the Knicks.
Speaker 3: You're giving up Karl Anthony Towns, who sucks in comparison to Giannis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you'd have to get it like Michale Bridge. You'd have to give up a lot. But I think Jalen Brunson and Jannie that's what Jannis wanted with Dame in Milwaukee, right. So anyways, it's just interesting to watch. And you know, I can tell you this, the Knicks have a couple picks, not a lot.
Speaker 2: They have their own pick.
Speaker 1: I think in twenty six I think they have Washington's pick that they're hanging on.
Speaker 3: Twenty thirteen, Doc Rivers is traded from the Celtics to the Clippers for a first round pick.
Speaker 2: Okay, twenty thirteen. Gosh thirteen, So it was a twenty fifteen first round pick.
Speaker 1: Yep.
Speaker 2: And then in twenty fourteen the Nets traded Jason Kids to the Bucks for two second round picks. Yeah, kid's been traded before.
Speaker 1: The president we have for that, though we didn't have it, and that's like a decade ago.
Speaker 3: Yeah, man, a Knick's first round pick in twenty six is not going to be good.
Speaker 2: It's going to be second b. Yeah, it's going to be been to the fuck Washington pick. We guys to give up that Washington pick.
Speaker 1: It's it's top eight protected next year, which Washington's going to be a bottom four.
Speaker 3: Yeah, all right, interesting stuff there. Could the Mavericks be trading Jason Kidd? That's that's pretty crazy, all right. Coming up next in the wayback machine, let's revisit the East Texas Sports Boys. This is coming up as just over three minutes, So don't go anywhere here on a Friday, keeping you smile