Speaker 1: Out with the birds. The Eagles are in town tonight. Every high school football game imaginable is going to be played, including yours truly, will be at the Deer Park Madeerra game. Flipping the coin get things started. And the coin that will flip was given to me by Colonel brad Winstrip after twenty five years of service. He has retired, and we're going to use that coin tonight and so much more. But as we continue, Brian Entton is the senior correspondent to senior national correspondent for News Nation. He's won every award the news media can give someone, including Emmys, etc. And he was given a special assignment the last few days by News Nation and Sean Compton to go into certain battleground states and elsewhere to get the temperature of the American people on the ground. Polls are interesting. I don't trust polls anyway. Nonetheless, Brian Entton, welcome again to the Bill Cunningham Show. And first of all, Brian Nton of News Nation, what was your mission as given to the last several days by Sean Compton.
Speaker 2: Yeah, thanks for having me, Bill. So it's actually two weeks driving across the entire country, Bill, which is so cool. We're starting in New Jersey and we're gonna work our way all the way across and end in California. It's gonna take about two weeks. We're about almost halfway in, and you know, the mission was Look, I mean, I was just sick of following the political campaigns around. You go to the rallies on both sides. You know exactly what you're going to hear from the people. You hear the same thing over and over again. And we were like, why don't we just get out, hit the road, get on I eighty and just talk to real voters, not planned too much, and just see what real Americans think. And it's just been so cool too, just like getting out into real America and getting off the campaign trail. It's been awesome.
Speaker 3: And you get paid for this.
Speaker 1: I would love to be with a buddy or too, have my employer pay me simply to travel, have some nice lunch, nice dinner, and talk to people.
Speaker 3: Not a bad gig, would you agree.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Someone joked with me on X and said, and you get to put all this on your expense report, because I mean, you know, we've been having cony dogs. We stop at dairy queen. We you know, get donuts everywhere, so we're trying to make the best of it. You know, it's been really fun.
Speaker 1: All right, let's get down to work. You had a posting the other day about New Jersey JP tries to flip state to red. I perceive in the Midwest, I love it as you know in Cincinnati, and I perceive New Jersey like New York and Connecticut, lost, dysfunctional, high taxes, citizens unhappy, lots of crime, especially in and around Newark, et cetera. What did you find in New Jersey when the Republicans try to flip that state to normalcy?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was interesting. In New Jersey, we really focused on suburban women because there's a lot of them outside the cities, and so we met up with a bunch of women a couple of days and a couple interesting things. You know. We met one life long Democrat who for the very first time is going to vote Republican for Trump, and the reason is parental rights. You know, she's really concerned about things happening in her kids school. You know, they've got these laws there where you know, you they can put your kid in counseling and do all sorts of stuff and they don't have to tell the parents in New Jersey, which really upsets some of these moms to the point of you know, their they're Democrats, but they're like, what is going on? Why how can this happen?
Speaker 4: Like these are our kids.
Speaker 2: So for that reason, there's there were a lot that we spoke to that said, you know, they're gonna they're gonna switch over. On the contrary, you know, there were there were some lifelong Republicans who are really fired up about the abortion issue and are considering voting Democrats for the first time. So we kind of saw it go both ways.
Speaker 1: There and in New Jersey has among the most liberal abortion laws in the country as I speak, So abortion is not on the ballot anywhere as far as a national issue, because it's a state's issue in New Jersey, by the way, much like Ohio. Ohio has uh the most liberal abortion law in the country.
Speaker 3: We voted for that.
Speaker 1: Not me, but fifty seven percent of us said that killing unborn babies is fine. From the moment of conception through birth, it's okay. And I think people vote yes or no an abortion. But there's so many gradations and so many different kinds and at what point six weeks there is a heartbeat, and can you do it at ten weeks? For Ohio went all the way up to the moment of birth, and as did New Jersey. Let's talk briefly about a report you filed in about Michigan. Now, Michigan, unlike New Jersey and Ohio, I think, is one of those battleground states. And it's a heavily unionized state. It's like Pennsylvania's heavily unionized. But also fracking is a big issue. What were the big issues in Michigan. I see you're posting about Michigan union workers still undecided tell the American people.
Speaker 2: The mission was, Yeah, it was fascinating, and you know, it's close there, and like you said, it's one of the big swing states that really is going to have an impact. So we went out to the different auto plans, which you know, you've got the union that have these rallies and they're behind Harris, and they want you to believe that all of the workers support Harris, and if you try to coordinate through them, it's like you kind of get a slanted view. So we decided, I said, we kind of keep it unplanned. We're like, let's go out at shift change to some of these plants, because that's when everybody comes out and goes to their cars in the parking lot and then leaves and then new people come in. So we had to sneak into the parking lot. We went to the Ford Plan just to try to get like a pulse with the regular workers, and it was interesting. A lot of them are Trump supporters, which the union doesn't really want you to know. And then there were a lot of undecided, a lot which surprised me, who said they still haven't decided. There were a couple of women we spoke to African Americans who like Harris, who said, look, I like her. I really like the idea of you know, the first black president, female president, black female president, but said, you know, at the same time, I've got five kids. I can't afford my grocery bills. I made more money when Trump was an office, I got more overtime here at the Ford plant. And they were struggling with like not they don't really like Trump, but they were kind of leaning towards voting for him just based on their paychecks.
Speaker 1: Kind of like who do you dislike the least or dislike the most. And I can't imagine you and I have been involved in this for a long time, but nonetheless, I can't imagine some undecided voter a few days before the election. How can you be how can you be undecided?
Speaker 2: Listen? You know you would be surprised. And I think that's one of the kind of fascinating things that's come out of this road trip is you watch the news and you think everybody's decided, there really are a lot of undecided and you know in some of these states like Michigan, Pennsylvania, and in Pennsylvania we went you know, we focused on black men because you know, Harris is having issues with them. We went to a bunch of barbershops. You know, it's not going to take that many people to possibly swing some of these states. So yeah, people are under side again. There's people that like Trump's policies but don't like his personality and are still sort of wavering over you know, how they're going to go. But back to Michiganville. I don't know if you've ever been to the auto plants, just the side note, I mean, it was I'd never been. It's so cool to think that you know, you've got these Americans that I meant that are making the cars there, and they have so much pride.
Speaker 3: I mean, everybody drives.
Speaker 2: A Ford that works at the Ford plant. You see just like thousands of Fords in the parking lot. It was again, it was a neat experienced politics aside just getting to do this.
Speaker 1: It's kind of like a thing in the auto workers. If you work at a Ford plant or a Chevy plant, don't come in with a Honda. It's like, yeah, that does not happen. Correct, No, And we I.
Speaker 2: Luckily we've got a Ford Expedition rental that we're driving like DoD And I told my photographer, I'm like, thank god we've got this car, because I don't think they would have led us in the parking lot.
Speaker 1: And literally now. Brian Anton of News Nation, Pennsylvania's another another terribly important state. Did you have a sense what role fracking has because tens of thousands of jobs ancillary jobs critical in Pennsylvania, plus working staffs large numbers in Michigan, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin. What was your sense of driving through Pennsylvania.
Speaker 2: You know, we didn't focus much on fracking. We were we were really focused on the blackmail vote. That was kind of our focus, just because the polling has shown that Harris is having issues. And again, you know, people just assume in inner city Philadelphia that you know, all the African Americans are going for Harris. And we went into a couple of these barbershops. It was fascinating, and I would I mean, at least half of the men we spoke to were Trump supporters. They felt abandoned by the Democratic Party. They felt like they hadn't been investing in their communities, they were taking them for granted. And then crime, I mean, crime is I don't know if you've been to Philly lately, Bill, they're homeless people everywhere. There's these motorcycle gangs driving around. I mean, it feels lawless in a lot of areas. And in some of these places where these barbershops that you know, they get broken into over and over again. It's a real problem. And they're just like, you know, they believe that Trump is the one who's going to crack down on it.
Speaker 3: So quality of life.
Speaker 1: I was in Philadelphia one time, and this was like ten years ago. It was somewhat functional and practically and you've been in many more American, large American cities than I've been recently. And I would think that homelessness and motorcycle gangs, especially illegal immigrants, and crime and the cost of insurance. Many of these small black businesses can't afford insurance because it's through the roof, and the fact that taxes were high, protection is low, especially among women. Did you hear much, Brian about a big issue that Democrats want to run on again, which is abortion, which is the killing of unborn babies. Was that brought up by anyone that you spoke.
Speaker 2: With, you know, in silly I would say the crime was the bigger issue, and you hit the nail on the head. I mean, it impacts the minority areas more. And you know, they've got these businesses that are getting broken into over and over again. So that was that seemed to be the bigger issue right in the inner city there. Trying to think back to what some of the folks were telling us, just I mean, you know, it's hard to live there in some of the areas when you know you've got people throwing rocks through your window, coming in, grabbing your cat, you know, your register with your cash, you got home with people that camp out outside your your business, and then your customers don't want to come in, and the police are so busy in the short staff that if you call, they're not going to come because you've got a homeless person outside. They're dealing with murders and stuff. So that seemed to be more of the concern right there in the inner.
Speaker 1: City right anton the issue of Donald Trump. Some said, why did the trump Ster go to a barber shop in the Bronx in New York?
Speaker 3: And that is exactly the kind of hand to hand, eyeball.
Speaker 1: To eyeball contact that Donald Trump is wonderful with. And I watch repeatedly on one of your competitors, Fox News, about him sitting there, and I know that Cuomo also dealt with it, as that Leland vintert about hand to hand, eye to eye going in there. That angered many Democrats because I dare Donald Trump to go into the black community and sit down. And is the reaction that you saw with Cuomo and vittered in the black barbershop similar to the kind of reaction you got in Philadelphia that we'd love to have Donald Trump come in here and sit with us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think again, the reason I'm so glad we did this series. Is because when you watch the news and you see the people on the extreme on either side, it looks so divisive and it looks like everyone on the right hates Harris and everyone on the left hates Trump, and it's just this just combative you know, they want to beat him up, and you go out into just talking to regular people. I just don't think it's that extreme. Like I don't think people think that like Trump is an awful guy the people in the middle, you know, and and same for Harrit. So you know, like when you it's like, oh my gosh, Trump went in the barbershop, how crazy is this? Like I mean when we went to the barbershop in Philly, half the the African American men were voting for Trump. I would say maybe more than half. So I think it's sort of this picture that you get when you watch the mainstream news. They want you to think that it's more divisive than it really is. Like most of these Americans we're talking to are just trying to afford daycare for their kid. They're just want a bigger paycheck. They just want to feel like when they call nine to one one the police are going to come, you.
Speaker 3: Know, and that doesn't happen.
Speaker 1: It does not happen that the place say, well, deal with it yourself, and that is so you pay so much in taxes, rules and regulations, and they're hit nine to one one saying, hey, I got two homeless guys, I'm jostling my patrons, or there's a rock through my window, which is a disaster.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like, there's no big deal.
Speaker 1: But if you've had your car broken into, and you have to deal with your car being broken into. Here in Cincinnati, there was a report last night that there were hundreds of car breakings and a part of the city of Cincinnati, which is a regular event, and the place generally don't show up because car break ins are no big deal. But when your window is shattered or your car a Hyundai or a Kia is stolen to an individual, that is a really big deal, and the place aren't responding in many big cities, correct.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, And in Philly, like we went to this little macaroni shop downtown at these two women own really just a cute little place, you know, and it's very popular. People love their macaroni, and they have had their window broken two or three times in the front, like a big store front window and it's just these two women. It's a small business.
Speaker 4: Like that's a really big deal.
Speaker 2: It's very expensive to fix those big windows in the front. And like you said, I mean, you might just hear that, oh they had a broken window, But think about it. If you have a small business they pay a couple of employees, you know, they're not making a lot of money. That really sets them back, and it also just makes them feel unsafe there, you know, and that no one really cares all right. Now.
Speaker 1: Lastly, in Ohio, we have a big Senate race between Bernie Marino and Shared Brown. I would anticipate that unless something dramatic occurs, that the Republicans are going to seize control of the Senate with fifty one votes because of Montana and West Virginia. But if this race flips and then it's completely different, and the only ads being run by Shared Brown is against Bernie Marino. On abortion in Ohio, which we voted, as I said a year ago, to have the most liberal, much more liberal than Roe versus Wade, and we voted fifty seven percent to allow abortion up through birth. But that's still a big issue in Ohio. According to Shared Brown, I sense among voters and is not that big of an issue because other ones take presidents. What did you sense about the race between Bernie Marino and Shared Brown and the issues?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, look, it was interesting. You would know way more about Ohio than me. We made two a couple of stops we drove through the state. There were some Republicans we met who were big Trump supporters who seemed to still like Brown, which I thought was interesting, Like felt like he was looking out for Ohians in a sense. Right, Just a bigger picture of Ohio that we focused on was and I don't think a lot of people remember. I mean then it was a really big swing state, you know, twenty twenty and that there's been this shift there, right, So there were a lot more Democrats in Ohio just what five six years ago? I mean it was like a Pennsylvania, Michigan, North Carolina. You guys weren't play And it's almost like Florida because I'm from Florida. You know, it used to be the same here and it's really gone much more.
Speaker 3: Red, Brian.
Speaker 1: It used to be Iowa, Ohio, and Florida. Those were the swing states in fact, no republic and president in history other than Donald Trump one Iowa, Ohio and Florida and lost the general election. But now as American society advances, are regrades one way or another. Uh now the swing states are different. One of the next few days, next few days. Where are you going the next few days?
Speaker 3: Brianan.
Speaker 2: By the way, we went to Center of the World. Have you ever heard of this place outside Cleveland. It's like this little town that they call the center of the World. Just thinking about it. We passed through there. That was cool.
Speaker 4: So that was the cool part of OHIW.
Speaker 2: Next few days so we're doing Omaha, the Blue Dot district there in Omaha.
Speaker 4: That could be really pivotal.
Speaker 2: And then we're just working our way across. We're going to go through We're going to go through Utah, We're going to end up in California. We're going to Nevada of course stake swing Steak and to talk to Latinos there. So it's like I said, I mean, I can't complain right now. You know, it's pretty cool. It's people don't realize how cool America is. When you drive across the stay the old and I know your friends with Sean Compton. The only thing I might need your help with, that's my boss, Bill, is I've been blowing through these tolls like it's nobody's business. This this rental does not have a transponder, and you just I mean, I'm gonna have bills from every state. I don't know how much it's gonna be, but I might need your help on that.
Speaker 1: Well, keep your keep your receipts, and I will guarantee you your boss and my friend Sean Compton will pay for those tolls.
Speaker 3: What a job you have. Keep going.
Speaker 1: Maybe next Sunday or maybe the next few days. I'll check with you to see what's going on with Brian Nton. When you get on the ground and talk to Americans, what a great country we have. And when you watch most of the media, it's an awful place, but wonder and you get out there among the real people, it's fabulous. And once again, Brian Nton, thank you for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. With your permission, we'll do it again.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Brian, Thank you, Bill, appreciate you.
Speaker 3: God bless America. Let's continue with more.
Speaker 1: So if the truth doesn't work, dissuade typical voters that something else is more important, and forget what's relevant in your life and call somebody a fascist, call somebody a hitler. I call somebody a Nazi, and pretend as if abortion is on the ballot when it isn't trick people into believing lies because the truth doesn't work. Let's continue with the more Bill Cunningham News Next, a'ts your Home of the Bengals News Radio seven hundred WLW.
Speaker 4: Meanwhile, in the Entented Forest, Eddie and Rocky heato a river for a rafting trip.
Speaker 3: Nope, we decided to call it off.
Speaker 4: But why you were both so excited to go?
Speaker 3: We were until we ran into this weirdo playing the banjo.
Speaker 4: But there are benjo players throughout being tented forest.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but this one said we had Purdy mails.
Speaker 4: Oh that guy. I guess he's out of jail.
Speaker 1: We figured it was better to get back to the station to do our show.
Speaker 4: Good call Eddie and rock this afternoon to three on seven hundred WLW. Wayne, your