Speaker 1: Billy Cunning in the Great America, Welcome to this floor. Is Tuesday afternon in the Tri States the Reds Baseball, they have one in a row and so in fact two in a row. They won Sunday and Monday. So if they win the next ten games they might be back in it. They're only like three and a half games out of a wildcard. They have to leap over eighteen teams, but if they get there, they'll be in the wildcard. And tonight Hunter Green, who I think, according to David Young of Warren County, Hunter Green may be related to Hunter Biden. The two have the same first name. I'm not sure that's accurate, but I want to check in with David Young on the tennis tournament. So much more, plus the wards of Jason Williams yesterday that talked about following Jimmy Haslin to leave downtown Cleveland and go south into the suburbs and build a big deal. And is that possible for one of the six or seven outlying counties, maybe in Boone County, Tony Bender and a bunch of investments get together and build a stadium for the tune of two to three billion dollars and then there'll be a big return on that in about thirty five years. But until then, Dave Young, welcome again to the Bill cunning Him Show, the tennis tournament, the Bengals moving and more. Have you seen evidence of Hunter Green pitching tonight related somehow to Hunter Biden?
Speaker 2: Is that possible, Willie? That is an excellent topic to start off with, seeing with my great allegiance and desire to be a professional baseball player and my performing at such a high level at Red's Fantasy Camp each and every year. Yes, I thought I was going to get the call up. But I will say Hunter Green is a fine young man. I like him. I have met him. He has earned his money through completely legal channels, and he is not doing a side hustle of painting pictures for big money. He is actually throwing a baseball and earning his keep. So I don't know if there is a direct Actually I'm sure there's not a correlation between the two Hunters.
Speaker 1: Well, you never know, because Hunter Biden sold some of his art for seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars for a painting to a rich democrat who now is the ambassador to Switzerland, And so I know there's no connection between the seven hundred and fifty thousand dollars paid to Hunter Biden to get the ambassadorship. It looks a little Have you noticed that once you go into politics, if you're Nancy Pelosi or if you're Mitch McConnell, even though you make one hundred and sixty two thousand dollars a year, which seems like a lot of money, but you live in two places, you pay taxes. Taxes in Washington, DC are confiscatory, that somehow there's a direct correlation between the number of years you're in politics making a little no money and your net worth. Is there any truth to Warren County being the same way that you've gone into politics, And of course you were a rich guy before you went in you're a rich guy now. But have you noticed in Washington, d C. That the longer you're in politics, the more money you make and you build homes along the Atlantic Ocean? Have you noticed that?
Speaker 2: Another very interesting question, And maybe I don't understand money that well, even though that's what I did for a living for a long time. When it's publicly disclosed on your financial documents, you're a politician, how much money you're worth when you take office, you have to disclose a ballpark of what that looks like. Then you make a publicly disclosed salary. We the people pay you a salary to do a certain job. Then, miraculously, four or eight years later, you go from being worth you know, a few hundred thousand dollars, maybe a couple of million bucks, and you're worth thirty million, wow, or in some cases one hundred million as a president when frugal work community organized. I don't maybe, but you know, hey, maybe they made a million bucks on a book. But man's that's an unbelievably good return on your investment advisor, I guess well.
Speaker 1: The Clinton's left office in twenty oh one, Hillary said we're broke. Within about four or five years, they're worth three hundred million dollars. The Obama's left office with little or no money. They're worth a half a billion dollars. Mitch McConnell, they're Republican out of Kentucky is worth one hundred million. And one of the greatest things is Nancy Pelos. She's now worth, according to her estimates, two hundred to four hundred million dollars, and she must be very frugal with her money. And of course Joe Biden, he's buying houses along the Atlantic coastline. He never made more than one hundred and sixty two thousand, Tili became the president making four hundred thousand. He must be very frugal. He's buying multi million dollar mansions on the coastline.
Speaker 2: That's not bad.
Speaker 1: I mean, you got to save your money. Let's talk about something more Germane really, yeah, we got you a hard stop.
Speaker 2: I'm in too good of a freaking mood. It's perfect weather, perfect time of year, perfect stuff going on around the corner at the Mason Tennis Tournament. It's unbelievable. That's what I want to talk about.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about tennis and then the Bengals possibly moving. First of all, the tennis tournament. It's underway with Ted McKay and it's hot and heavy. I see that seventy percent. I didn't know this. Seventy percent of those who attend the tournament do not live in the tri States, So seventy percent come from forty nine other states. They come from Europe, come from Asia. Unbelievable and to keep that as such a win, even though the Jokers not playing Alcatraz Is? How was yesterday? How will this afternoon be? How about tomorrow? When should I attend? If at all?
Speaker 2: You should attend often? And it's literally unbelievable. You know, I'm not exactly an emotional guy, will unless I getn't, you know, talking about my kids or something. But Saturday I went up there for the first time on Community Day, which used to be kind of a throwaway day they called the tournament. There was really nothing going on, just getting the operations going. They sold seven thousand tickets plus the people that were there on passes and things. There was I don't know ten thousand people around that stadium to watch a charity match with Agacy, Roddick and Eisner. And it was literally unbelievable, Willie. I was sarr yesterday. Bands playing literally they they've transformed this fan area where it used to be just so hot in the asphalt and it was terrible. They put this fan centric philosophical approach to everything out there. They've made it into like a garden. There are these massive trees. I don't even there where the you get landscaping trees this big. I mean it's all shaded out there now. It is so much better. There was two different bands playing, and it's like there was activity and it's great tennis to watch. But there was just a lot of stuff going on that was fun. All the restaurants, bars everywhere. I mean, it was just a heck of a lot of fun and people were clearly having fun yesterday at the Sensei Open in Warren County.
Speaker 1: And just for fun. And next year is going to be two weeks instead of one week. Once we'll stretch on a seventeen days an economic engine, which brings me to my next question, your friend and mine. Jason Williams of the Inquiry and Here wrote a column about why it would be almost impossible for the Bengals to move anywhere but on the riverfront, following the lead of Jimmy Haslin, who's the owner of the Brown's worth about nine billion dollars. Because he's going to put up half the money, which is about one and a half billion. They're going to give him two hundred and fifty acres. He's going to develop it all. He's going to be the landlord for hundreds of apartment's, going to be the landlord for strip centers, going to have condo projects and swimming pools and dancing girls and dancing bears. And that's going to be twenty five miles south of Cleveland, which is a good idea. The closer you get to Cleveland, the more your nostrils begin to flare and you smell stuff. You get out of Cleveland things a little bit better. And so he made the point in the inquir that the odds of the Bengals leaving Cincinnati downtown Cincinnati out to Warren County or Claremont County or Boone County, despite the heavy investment of Tony Bender and Boone County around the airport, is almost non existent. Now your names come up because you're the grand economic emperors area of Warren County that kept the tennis tournament. You expand that King's Island all Hell's break and lose great place to live from your general overlook, what are the odds of the Bengals using Warren County as reached to stay in Cincinnati and get a better deal from Alisha Reese also known as Elisha Bridges because she loves the nightlife. What are the odds.
Speaker 2: Remote at best? Because here's the situation, and I like Jason Williams, a lot super talented writer. I will say, and I have to. As part of the victory tour of keeping the tennis tournament, there was one particular Inquire story written by said reporter that said, basically, I was crazy and it was about to turn into the pickleball mecca of the Midwest. Correct, and they were losing the tennis tournament. And god, I didn't know what I was talking about. And I have to a little bit say that maybe other people that know what they were talking about when I said it was going to stay and we had a really good shot, maybe I was right. But anyway, I digress. So I'm not living in the past. I'm not happy today, William. I'm moving forward. Tennis is being played around the corner. It's awesome when you talk about the Bengals, which I'm a huge fan of the Cincinnati Bengals and the Cincinnati Reds obviously, and those are national sports assets, even though our tennis tournament is international, but those are national sports assets that are so critically important for the region. My prayer is that the Brown family in Hamilton County, which I believe owns the stadium, work out a deal and that that stadium is upgraded. Now, if you ask in general, has there been a trend in the NFL by very rich owners saying I want to control more of the pie, and as a matter of fact, I want to make the pie outside over here, and I basically own the whole pie, and I'm going to leave the taxpayers out of it. There has been a trend of doing that, and there's actually a really strong economic case for that happening, simply because when you think about it, I mean Jerry Jones, super rich guy. I've been to at and T Stadium, every thing around there. There was really nothing there, and then all of a sudden, they started building up an entertainment complex with hotels, bars, restaurants all around the stadium, knowing that's a destination location. It doesn't have to be downtown. And so he built all of those things around there on his dime, knowing he was going to make that investment back by utilizing his one big asset. So there is a model to do that. However, the pieces are not in place, in my humble opinion, for that to happen in Cincinnati, simply because you know, I hate talking about other people's financial situations, but I don't know that from reports that would the Bengals ownership group have the desire to go and spend presumably billions of dollars on creating their own entertainment and complex. Maybe they do, and good for them. Again, I don't know other people's financial certaincy sences other than what reported in the public domain. But you know, we do know that owners of other teams are worth multiple billions of dollars and them spending a billion or two billion here or there on something that they project getting their money back in a very short return on their investment. That happens, and it happens more and more, which is good for the taxpayers because the taxpayers do get a benefit from these sports stadiums. If it's a good deal, Willy, it's got to be a good deal put together by business people where both sides went, the taxpayers and the people that have risked their own free market capital and gone and invested millions and sometimes billions of dollars in these sports teams. It's got to be a mutually beneficial deal.
Speaker 1: Well, Jason Williams makes the point that it was like pulling teeth to get fifteen million dollars out of the City of Mason and Warren County put in a few million more than that, but scaling it by scale, that is a pittance compared to what is required to build an NFL stadium. And everything goes around that. And Mike Brown is about ninety years old. He still drives his Chevy Lumina. He's got that goof of the little hat that he wears. The odds him saying at the age of ninety, you know what, boys and girls, it's time for us to strike out to buy two hundred acres of land in the middle of nowhere and to build an entertainment complex and strip malls and apartment buildings over the next five to ten years. I don't think that fits Mike Brown's model. I'm not sure. I'm not sure it fits.
Speaker 2: Him right again, I could be wrong, But that is a model. Is that the model for the ownership group of the Bengals. I've got my doubts, all right.
Speaker 1: So if it stays in Cincinnati, that's a positive. I think to move an NFL franchise takes it almost an act of God. There's all kinds of requirements that you can't do it, and so it's only a matter of one hundred million here and one hundred million there. And Warren County is not scaled to produce a billion dollars of benefits to any organization coming in, including the Bengals. Is that fair to say that Warren County won't step up for a billion dollars?
Speaker 2: Listen, Willie, we take our financial position very, very seriously. We are stewards of the tax payer dollars. And I think a lot of politicians sometimes get cross when they start thinking about almost buying votes that it's you know, it's a candy store. Hey you want this. Oh wait, here's a break over here. Oh, here's a break there. It has to be a mutually beneficial relationship. And what we did with the tennis tournament was think there's a seventy five million dollars a year current economic impact to the region, and next year it's going to be close to one hundred and fifty million dollars, two hundred thousand people coming this year, four hundred thousand people attending next year, and as you said, close to seventy percent of those don't live here. And if you're Hamilton County, Claremont County, Butler County, Warren County, those people that live away from here, and I've talked to a lot of them from Chicago or New York or wherever. When they come here. Number One, they have money. They have discretionary money to come and watch this sporting event for a week at a time or two weeks at a time. They come, they stay at our hotels, they eat at our restaurants, they shop in our stores. They generate economic activity, and they pay a sales tax, and they pay workers. The companies that pay the workers pay an income tax if they live in a city. So that's what's generating this return to the taxpayers. And the study has been done that it looks like in the breakdown, just to refresh your memory, on one hundred and thirty million dollars that was invested in this tournament, fifty million from the state, fifty million essentially minus five million that was really in a sales tax incentive, So forty five million from Warren County and thirty five million from the City of Mason. That is the deal. Warren County. We're projecting to get that entire return of forty five million dollars like ten years based on the sales tax revenue that's coming in from this tournament. This was a good deal for the taxpayers. Now you flip it to a much larger scale. You know, forty fifty million dollars is a heck of a lot of money in Warren County. We've never done anything like that, but we've never had a global sports asset that was about to leave before. So we decided to step up to the plate and come up with a plan, and it was accepted by the billionaire who did risk his hundreds and hundreds of millions of dollars to invest his free market capital here and wanted to partner with us and stay here. So there was an economic incentive for him to partner with us. But in terms of billions of dollars from the taxpayers of Warren County, no, absolutely not.
Speaker 1: Let's leave it at that. I'm picking Cocoa Golf to win it all. She won it last year, then won the US Open, and Alcatraz I think should win the Men's and away we go. But once again, Dave Young, thanks for coming on the Bill Cunningham Show. You're a great American. We'll do it again and thank you very much. And Dave Young, you're a great American.
Speaker 2: Thank you. God Bless you Willie and.
Speaker 1: God bless America. Coming up next to news and more at your home of the Reds News Radio seven hundred WLW