Speaker 1: Kat r H Garden Line does not necessarily endorse any of the products or services advertised on this program. Welcome to kat r H Garden Line with Skip Rictores crazy.
Speaker 2: Gas.
Speaker 3: Can you use a trim?
Speaker 4: Just watch him.
Speaker 2: As wool.
Speaker 5: Gas.
Speaker 2: There are so many boat.
Speaker 6: Thanks to Sup buck basing Gay basis like gas again you dubs not a salmon glasses and gas and.
Speaker 2: The somon of the gas gas starting in treatment.
Speaker 7: You did.
Speaker 8: Okay, folks, good morning, good morning on a good Saturday morning for gardening. You are listening to Garden Line. I'm your host, Skip Richter, and we got a lot to talk about there. There is how long has it been since we had weather like this to go outside and get some stuff done? A long long time? Right, Well, it's here, you know. For weeks now, I've been saying, don't look at the thermometer, look at the calendar. What does that mean? Well, that means that I know, I know it still says summer on the thermometer, but the calendar says it's time to get going with fall gardening. And boy do we ever need to be lots of things to be doing in the garden and the landscape, you know, right now, for example, our lawns, This is the time to get your fall fertilization in. Don't delay. You know, every week you delay gives that long a little less time to have those nutrients taken up and get in the plant to do what they need to do to get the lawn ready for cold weather and also for coming out in spring. Now is the time if you're going to do a pre emergent get it out asap, get that in the grass and get it watered in. You gotta water those in so that they go to the soil surface and stop weeds. Now's the time if you are going to try to fight brown patch or now they call it large patch. If you're going to try to stop that, now's the time to get a preventative down now. Once circles appear, they're going to be circles until weather warms up enough to regreen the grass to grow back in those areas. But now's the time for all three of those things in the lawn. Fortunately, we don't have any insects we're dealing with right now in the lawns. Triffect is enough, right, triffect of activities, But now the time to get in it. If you're looking for a quality organic fertilizer for your lawn, well, Microlife is the one you need to be taking a really close look at. They got something called brown Patch Microlife brown Patch. Now look, listening to that name of it, you'd think, oh, this is a fungicide, it'stop brown pat. No it's not. It is It is a fertilizer that is chock full of all kinds of microbes that help populate the surfaces of plants. You know, there's a lot of good microbes out there that help us have more success with our gardening. They work in tandem with the plant's root systems in some cases getting down in there. There's others that just on the surface create kind of a hostile environment. Well, anyway, Microlife brown Patch is a quality product. Get it down asap though. That's their brown bag. Microlife brown Patch Microlife Fertilizer dot Com is the website if you want to find out more about the many of the products they produce, both trigranular fertilizers and liquid fertilizers, and also where you can get them, which I'll just cut I'll make it easy for you. It's everywhere pretty much garden centers, feed stores, hardware stores, you know, the Southwest fertilit All those places carry microlife products. If you are interested in giving me a call. This is a call in show. By the way, I can sit here and talk all day, but basically it's about what are your questions? What are you interested in? Well, give me a call. Seven one three two one two k t r H. Seven to one three two one two k t r H. I today am going to be going out to the wild Bird's Unlimited store. This is the last appearance of the season. This is the last chance for you to come out, bring me some samples, or bring me some photos. Let's let's talk ey to I. Hey, let's get our picture made too. I'd love to do that. Uh This wild Birds is in Kingwood, Kingwood, Texas, and so all of you over there east northeast. Actually, you know when we do these appearances, we have people from the other side of town sometimes because they got a burning question. Yeah, it just sounds like fun. Well it's fun. I think it's fun. Uh So coming out to Wilbird's in Kingwood, that's on Kingwood Drive, right behind Torches Tacos. In fact, if you hit it out there, a little early you could grab some really good food. I love torchies. I'm gonna be zipping in there about twelve noon and I'll be there till two there for a couple of hours at Wolbirds. While you're out there, we'll show you all the cool stuff they got in the store. I mean they are stocked up. They're ready to go on feed and feeders and bird houses and every other kind of thing you can imagine you'd want for your birds. Got squirrels that are bugging bugging you by eating all your bird seed. Well they've got some bird seed that let's just say it has a little pepper or two in it that will make sure the squirrels don't get into it. You know that stuff doesn't bother birds, but boy, squirrels and me, I put hot pepper around my edges in my mouth and h yeah, not good. Not good. If you have a question you would like to ask seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. I was at RCW Nursery a while back visiting with them, and just they've just got all kinds of good good sales on right now. There's shrubs, for example. You need to listen up. This is a really good deal. Twenty percent off their shrubs. And they have shrubs of all kinds of textures, you know, from low growing junipers to broad leafed, larger broad leaf types of shrubs. They've got different colors, you know. We got the Laura peddlum or Chinese witch hazel that's got that beautiful burgundy look and the just hot pink shaggy flowers in the spring. Twenty percent off all of that, and they have a lot of shrubs on hand too, So make sure and get by there, get that done. Now is the time. Now is the time when we need to be planting woody ornamentals of your trees and shrubs, the most weeks possible between planting and next summer's brutal heat. The longer they have, the more successful they are. And you want them. You spend money on a shrub, you want it to be successful. Give it the most time. Plant it now. OURCW Nurseries dot com is our website. Our CW Nurseries. By the way is the garden Center right where Tomball Parkway FM two forty nine comes into belt Way eight right where Tomball Parkway comes into belt Way eight. So goodbye there. Check them out. They are I like to refer to them as they get it, got it nursery because if they don't have it, they can probably find it. If it's out there on the market, they probably find it bring it in for you. So that's kind of a little extra sort of nice too. Plus it's just fun to shop there. Well, it's time for me to go to my first little break here. I'll be right back. Here's the number if you'd like to get on the board. One three two one two k t RH. We got some gardening stuff to talk about today. In fact, we could what do they say, We can talk about gardening ntil the cows come home. Any of the cows don't come home, we'll keep talking about gardening. There is a lot that is important when you want to have success. You know, gardening is not something that you need to fail at. It is not. You may think you have a brown thumb. You don't. What you have is an uninformed thumb. And all we have to do is inform your thumb about some simple principles. What do plants want? How do you make a plant happy? Once you know that it's easy. It is really and it's fun. I mean, think about nature. Nature gardens all the time. Right, trees come up in the forest and they growed, the giant, beautiful things. And how did that happen. Nobody went out there and you know, talk to them and did all the magic wands and everything like that trying to get them to grow.
Speaker 5: No.
Speaker 8: They they just had what the wanted and that was good soil. And there is nothing more important, no single factor more important for garden success than the soil plants live in their roots, the root system. You put plants in a soil that's you know, a heavy compacted clay and no oxygen, very slow water infiltration rates and all of that, and they're going to struggle. But you put them in a soil that has been prepared and they're going to thrive. And that's how it works, and that's what Nature's weighs all about. By the way, Nature's Way On Sherbrookes Circle up in Conra, you go up to Interstate forty five right where fourteen eighty eight comes in from Magnolia. You turn right instead and cross over the railroad tracks. That's Sherbrood's Brooks Circle First Street to come to turn right. That's Nature's Way Resources. They've been doing this for a very very long time. They know how to make quality, accomplished products. And we're talking about soil amendments and mulches that go on top of the soil. And by the way, their Fungal Friday sale is still on twenty percent off fungal compost at Nature's Way twenty percent off every Friday. That's a great opportunity right there. Also out at Nature's Way they have something called Microlife Mondays. It seems like every day something's going on out there. Twenty percent off selected microlife products, twenty percent off selected microlife products August. See I mean, excuse me through December second. It's going to go through December second. So you want to make sure and get out there, grab your especially those liquid products you know that Microlife makes. That's a good time to get those. And finally they're year in sale their nursery. You know, they have a really nice nursery out there, especially with native plants, but but some non natives as well. They're having a sale fifty percent off through December first. So we got you know, the rest of this month and that's it. That excludes some of their sun native sun perennials, but all the rest of the stuff fifty percent off at Nature's Way. And while you're out there, grab some of their soils by the bag. Take your truck or trailer out there and get them to dump a bulk load in it, or you can just call them and have them deliver it to your house if you want to go that route. Nature's Way resources. Whatever you do, fix your soil, amend your soil, make it special, and you will have success as a result of that. This year we just went through. I was out in my backyard. I have the house we purchased a while back and moved into had three cypress trees in it. Now. I have always appreciated cypress from a distance. I just think they're beautiful. The little wispy, feathery foliage that they have just real pretty. And down in low swampy areas, you know, the knees coming up are kind of attractive. They're you know, kind of a unique feature. Well, when you have a lawn and the knees are coming up in the lawn, that is a pain in the neck. And we dealt with that when I put in a new yard this past April and got all of those out of there and putting a patio in right now, and already there's some knees sticking up where I'm about to lay these flat stones to make a patio. So I had to dig a few more of those things up. And so I kind of have a love hate relationship with Cyprus. It's a great, beautiful tree, very long lived, very resistant to rot and things like that. It's a great tree, but it doesn't like lawns, and I don't like it's knees coming up in my lawn. But anyway, that's part of the deal. I need to get out there and do a little bit of pruning on mine. I've got one that is encroaching into an area of the branches where I need them not to go, So we'll do that. But you know, this year was so hard on trees. Good Night, we had two major one hurricane and another major storm that knocked out power for a couple of weeks. Affordable Tree Service can come out and prune your trees and help get them in as strong condition as they can, and this is pruning season. You know, if your situation is like mine, you just need a little pruning here. Maybe the branch is hanging too low. Now, maybe you have a broken branch in a tree. A narrow angles, narrow branch angles, those are all no nos. Affordable tree can come out and do that. Martin spoon Moore has been doing this for a long time. And again we are here primetime. You need to give him a call seven to one three six nine nine two six sixty three. Have him come out. Get on his schedule. Martin does good job. Martin stays busy, but tell them you're a guardenline listener. Get on the schedule. And then sometime between now and the end of this pruning season that we're having a prime pruning season. You prune year round. He'll come out and get that taken care of. He'll look at the things over see what they need. Give you some overall true health suggestions and observations. Uh, you know, what do you think is happening? Some of those storms really loosened up some trees and caused them to be a little bit leaning. Or maybe you see the grass kind of lifting up. When the tree blows around, it is kind of like moving and the root system is kind of lifting up a little bit. That's a that's a scary situation. You need to have him come out, whatever it is, have him come out and look. Either he Martin or his wife Joe will answer the phone. That's how it works an Affordable Tree. The website is aff Tree Service dot com af F first three letters and Affordable Tree Service dot Com and the phone number one more time write this down seven one three six nine nine two six six three. You're listening to Gardenline. I'm your host, Skip Richtor, and we're here to help you have a more beautiful landscape and more boundiful garden and more fun in the process. Those are my goals right there. That's what I would like to see happen for you.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: And we try to gear the show. We're just that if you'd like to give me a call. Seven one three two one two ktr H seven one three two one two k t R h.
Speaker 9: Uh.
Speaker 8: I was visiting with some of the folks at Enchented Gardens next spring. I'm gonna early late winter early spring, I'm going to be going out to in Chenna Gardens. We were just talking about my talk on topics and some things like that. Uh, and it just every time I go out to in Chenna Gardens. It's like it's like an adventure.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: And I say this before, but we have the best garden centers of any major city that I've ever been to here in the Houston area. And I really mean that, north, south, east, west, Central. We have them everywhere, and they're showplaces to take people to. In Chaney Gardens on the Katie Fullshire side of Richmond, they're out there on FM three fifty nine, three fifty nine, Real close, FM three fifty nine and FM seven twenty three where they come together just north of Richmond, Katie fullsher Side. It's one of those places you know, I would say when you go, take some friends, take people with you, because it is it's like you're going to a botanical garden, outing kind of thing where you're just re enjoying yourself, looking around seeing what they have. And yeah, it's not just like running down to the grocery store by groceries and come home. This is an experience Katie fullsher Side of Richmond. Here's the website Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Enchanted Gardens Richmond dot com. Gift shop is loaded up and beautiful if you want forcing bulbs for a gift, you know, Thanksgivings coming up. I'm not buying a gift for whoever is the host of your Thanksgiving meal. If it's yourself, buy the one you buy for yourself. They have beautiful stuff for putting out in the garden, you know, the blame the uh Carvestone kinds of structures that you put out just for fun and whimsy. And they're loaded up on every plant for the season. They always are loaded up for plants for the season. We're going to now go to College Station, I believe, and talk to Robert.
Speaker 1: Hello, Robert, good morning.
Speaker 11: How are you doing morning?
Speaker 8: Well, I'm doing well. What's up with you?
Speaker 12: So?
Speaker 13: I have a couple of high business plants that I've potted when I relocated to College Station a year ago. I moved them from my house in Katie up to College Station, and I've noticed here in the last month or so, one of those plants has started getting browning, maybe grayish browning on leads. Starts at the tip and works its way through the lead until it finally flakes off and drops. I'm wondering what's causing that, If it's insects or a fungus or watering issues.
Speaker 8: Usually when something happens in the tips and margins of the leaf, Robert, it's a plumbing problem, meaning that you can get that from, you know, temporary drought. You can get that from burning the roots with a salt based fertilizer. An excessive amount of salt based fertilizer. Burning the roots will do that. Something like that's going on because that's the last part of the leaf to get it's the end of the pipeline to get water. And that's also the end where fertilizer salts would build up. In that case, is it all over the plant or just kind of here and there.
Speaker 13: Here and there, and yeah, here and there. And of the two plants, one seems to exhibit that more than the other in separate pots.
Speaker 8: Yeah, separate pots. Maybe one pot doesn't drain as well as the other. Maybe the soil volume is different, maybe the amount of sunlight they get is different. I've got some you're talking about tropical hibiscus, Yes, this is the tropical Okay, Yeah, I've got some plants like that. And you know, one plant seems to go into drought stress much faster than the other one, same soil too, by the way, but that so it's it's kind of interesting, but just kind of water them accordingly. I think they're okay. You know, we're we're entering the season where there's zero stress on them and we just start worrying about not freezing them. And up in college station, you're going to need to be able to roll that pot into your garage and when it gets cold.
Speaker 13: Yeah, okay, all right, so I'll watch my.
Speaker 1: My watering.
Speaker 13: Maybe needs it's time to replant repot those two because it is I think one pot is I think about it. It's smaller than the other and to be an issue, okay.
Speaker 8: Yeah, it could be. Yeah, it's not difficult to grow them. And boy they're beautiful. Love those things. In fact, you need if you're more. I got a one of the Cajun Hibiscus cajun Is. They're a certain breeder that puts together series called Cajun Hibiscus, and they are just so beautiful and gaudy at the same time that I got to go get a different one next year because I've enjoyed them so much. Well, man, thanks for the thanks for the call, and good luck with you your hibiscus.
Speaker 13: Okay, thank you goodbye.
Speaker 8: Yes sir, bye bye. Well I'm looking at the clock and the clock says, skip quit talking. We got to go to a break. I'll be right back. Here's the phone number if you'd like to call in the meantime, be first up seven one three two one two KTRH. Welcome back to garden Line, folks. We are ready to go. What what kind of questions do you have about gardening? Vegetables, flowers, fruit and plant some herbs. Got issues with the lawn? Maybe a tree suggestion? No trees are I was telling talking to my wife yesterday and mentioning the saying is the best time to plant a tree was forty years ago? The second best time is today? And isn't that true? We were looking at a I know, watching something on TV, and I had the street lined with beautiful trees that reached across the street and touched and it was just this gosh, the scene was gorgeous. But somebody a long time ago made a decision to put some little scrny trees up and down that street, and boy did they ever turn out. Right. When you're going to plant a tree, you want to make sure and pick a species that wants to grow here. That is very important a species that is gonna thrive in this area. And there are a lot of different species out there, and sometimes there's even varieties of the tree that do better. I mentioned griping about I was griping about the cypress knees in my yard earlier, and there are cypress that, like Montezuma cypress that really don't produce knees. There's even some strains of the regular cypress that don't. But boy, I wish I could go back in time and advise the people that were planting those trees in my yard. I don't know if they listened to it or not, but hey, why don't you instead of putting those in, why don't you put a different kind of cypress in and avoid knees. That's what I'm talking about. There are types of red oaks that do super well here. If you've got a soggy area, the nuthull red oak does better in poor drainage than the shoe mard for example. Wood Those are both great beautiful types of red oak, but each I'm just saying that species and varieties matter, and think about that. It's a long term investment or at least you hope it is. Back in the nineteen sixties and seventies, people planted Arizona ashes and new neighborhoods all over the place. They grew fast, and then they fell apart and by the time you know, we got about oh about thirty forty years down the line from that planting. Now you drive through those neighborhoods, or then you drove through those neighborhoods and it looked like hat racks. They'd been cut off. The trees had sometimes split in the storm. That's not a not a good variety for strength of the branches. And so here's this neighborhood that sho been and it's tree prime, just gorgeous shade trees, and it was basically going back to the drawing board. And so that was poor choice for that time. Fortunately, we don't see as many Arizona ash around, but there are trees like that. Pick a tree that's going to last a long time and get better and better and better, and secondly, take care of it. From the time the tree goes in the ground. You need to be thinking about how do I train this tree, how do I prien this tree, or hiring somebody like Martin Spoon more affordable tree that knows how to do it, to come out and do that for you. Because when you do this, pick the right tree, put it in the right spot. Right spot two means not ten feet from your house or a curb or a sidewalk, because that has issues down the line, and you take care of it, It's going to add a lot of value to your home if you ever sell that home, but also if you stay in that home to have that gorgeous, beautiful shaded area to enjoy. So that's a little public service announcement, I guess for the day. But trees are a long term investment. You know, you plant it tomato, you don't liking, dig it up and plan another one. With trees, this is a long term investment, so think about that. I'm going to be heading out to the Wild Bird's Unlimited store in Kingwood, Texas today. I'll be there from noon to two and I'm going to be given away. Nelson Plant Food has donated a lot of products, and I mean a lot. So if you show up at if you show up at Wildbird's, chances of you getting a really cool product, winning a row coal product, or very very high today. I've got color Store on hand. I've got their vegetable fertilizer on hand. I've got the fertilizer that is for planting plants, the one that called Genesis. I've got two different kinds of samples. Are a sample and also just a canister of that that I'm going to be giving away as well. And there's another one. What is the one I'm forgetting about. I'll think of it in a minute. Anyway, I got like four different kinds of Nelson products and a lot of them that I'm going to be given away there. Nelson produces quality fertilizers they do. The color Star is just like a standard. It's one of their most universal blends. It can be used on annuals and prins. You can use it on flowering trees and shrubs too. It works really well. You know, professionals have long been using this, not just here in Texas, but many other states. People have Nelson shipped in because they've learned. Color Star is a super quality, quality product created over forty years ago by Dean Nelson. It's got five different sources of nitrogen. It's got organic bone meal and blood meal, both organic products to feed the soil and your plants and come on out to Wallbirds Unlimited in Kingwood today. That's on Kingwood Drive, right behind Torches Tacos, and I'll give you some Nelson products that you can take home and try. All right, there you have it. Tell your friend bring some friends with you too. By the way, it is our last appearance of the year, last one, last call. I was working on that back patio that I was telling you about earlier, and I have a couple of golden retrievers and I never knew what golden retrieve. I thought maybe they were bred to like retrieve ducks out of a pond or something. I found out they're bread to retrieve plants. I didn't know this, but when Ellie was little, I went out and Ellie went with me and we planted some I think it was Echinasia, four inch pots purple cone flour in the back in a bed and we get them all done. I went inside, I don't know good drink water. And when I walked back out, there on my back step was Kenesha. Ellie had brought it back to me. It's kind of like, hey, Skip, I think you forgot this in the garden. So I just wanted to bring it back, so you didn't. So anyway, that's I always thought they were in the sporting group, the Golden Retrievers, but actually they're in the gardening group. I don't know if you knew that that a CAC has a gardening group as well. If you're looking for products, you know, I've been talking about Nelson products. I've been talking about the microlife products, been nitropized products, Medina products, Ace hardware stores all over the Houston area say stocked up on whatever products you need. You know, when I start talking about a fertilizer that I think would be an excellent one for you, you're going to find it today. There's forty stores in the Greater Houston area, actually more than forty now in the Greater Houston area, and that's where you get everything. It is still time to treat for fire ants. Get that done before it cools off. Whenever the weather's mild, fire ants are out, they're out feeding. In fact, we've got some rain the other day and here comes some mounds up. I didn't even know they were there. That's why you want to use a fire ant bait. And i'd just done individual mound treatments. These that I hadn't seen yet, I would have then had to treat with individual mound treatments again. So that's called whack a mole with fire ants. Go to ACE Hardware get a quality fire ant bait when you're picking up your fertilizer or your turf disease control or your turf insect control or your turf weed prevention. It's all there at Acehardware dot com. I'm going to take a break now and I will be back for our last segment today if you'd like to be first up seven one three two one two K t R H. Welcome back to guard Line. Welcome back. Glad to have you with us. Hey, those of you out there in Kingwood, you got a couple of great garden centers. You got Warrens and you got Kingwood Garden Center. Now Warrens that we're in Southern Gardens. That's the one on North Park Drive and Kingwood Gardens Centers on Stone Hollow. Both of them are open seven days a week. They are They're just the kind of place where you go when you want to find plants that are gonna do well. Here where you're going to find products and cool stuff. For example, right now, they've got the Amarillis bulbs of forcing bulbs they're in stocking. Plant them in the ground, or you can actually force them indoors. I think that's kind of cool. Plenty of fall veggies Moms still still available. Whenever you go into Warren's, make sure and enjoy their newsletter that if you sign up for the newsletter, you will get special coupons and offers, especially that they're monthly lawn care coupons. Those are that right, there's worth the price of admission, and the permission is free forgetting the newsletter. Just you can go to the website and sign up. You can call them and sign up, and walk in the store and sign up. However you want to go about it. Over at Kingwood Garden Center, their gift shop is clearing out. They are having their clearance event now on November or first through the eighth. It was twenty five percent off. Guess what we are now the ninth through the fifteenth it's thirty percent off, and next week there'll be forty. But don't wait because that one thing you really want to get is not going to be available anymore. So that is a really good deal. They're clearing it out so they can restock on some really nice stuff. You've got to make room for that. So things like if you haven't been to the gift shop at Kingwock Garden Center, that's jewelry, there's skincare products, they're scented sprays, flood See how just all over the places, says kitchen stuff, floor mats, vases, glassware bowls, picture framed sunglasses, hats, candles, oh wife, loaves, candles, light fixtures, bracelets, stationary. You see what I'm talking about. It It is a great gift shop loaded with stuff, and right now is your opportunity. This week it goes to thirty percent off starting today. Take advantage of that and get out there and check out that beautiful gift shop. We're going to go to the phones now and talk to David and Tomball. Hello, David, Welcome to Garden Line.
Speaker 14: Good morning, sir. Hey, before I ask you my question, you were talking about labrador retrievers. I had a chocolate lab one time, and she was the best dog I ever had.
Speaker 15: But she was.
Speaker 14: Always bringing me rewards and going out and finding me stuff and trying to satisfy me with gifts.
Speaker 16: And one time she got.
Speaker 1: Loose in the neighborhood.
Speaker 14: She got loose in the neighborhood and must have gone into somebody's open garage and brought me back a pop up toaster.
Speaker 17: And I just I don't know.
Speaker 11: I even I.
Speaker 14: Tried to find the neighbor to see who was missing one and it worked.
Speaker 8: He's just crazy.
Speaker 14: But anyway, she was always giving me rewards like that too. But my question is, you were talking about putting down the pre emergence right now. If I put it down now, am I also going to be putting it down and like early March or February as well.
Speaker 8: February yes, uh huh, yeah you are, And but get it. If you're doing it now, get it done soon because those we've had that rain, a little bit of cool temperatures, and those seeds are gonna be sprouting, so yeah, that it'll last. It'll take you all the way through the winter. But then the February application is going to be for your spring weeds, your warm season weeds. The application now is for cool season weeds.
Speaker 14: It's the same stuff though, like barricade.
Speaker 8: Yes, sir, barricade for both.
Speaker 11: Okay, that's all I had.
Speaker 15: Have a good day man.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you, appreciate appreciate your call very much. We're gonna now head over to Sean and Katie. Hey, Seawan, welcome to garden.
Speaker 15: Hey, good morning Skip.
Speaker 5: I had a similar question as a previous caller, so I had my yardists full of what did that call slander after weed? Is it too late to put down that carmel load by Nelson?
Speaker 8: Well, okay, first of all, it's not too late to put on carbo load by Nelson. That's a pre emergent and a fertilizer. It works really, really well. You just have to water it in, get the nutrients and the product into the ground after you do it. However, it will not control slender aster by putting it down. Now. The slen aster has already got its little blooms on it. It's setting seed. And as much as you don't want to hear this, the best thing you can do right now is pull it up. It all comes out of one tap root in the ground. You may have one the size of the steerweel in your car. It's coming out of one place. When the soil is moist, it pulls pretty easily. Because you will be producing thousands of seeds. If you leave that in the lawn now for next year, if you wanted to do an application, let's say maybe March for slender aster, maybe a second one later into the summer. That's when it's sprouting, and that's where your carbo loade kind of fertilizers or whatever kind of pre emergent would be used for that.
Speaker 5: Okay, And my second question is I bought a Microlife compost in the bag and also the multipurpose fertilizer.
Speaker 3: Would that help?
Speaker 5: Would it hard to put it down nail or I mean, or just a pre merging be fine?
Speaker 8: It would be fine. The concentrated compost in the bag that's humous. That is like if you take compost all the way past compost to its final stage, it's a great soil building product. It's not like you're adding a nutrient. It's like you're putting stuff into the soil that makes the soil the structure of it better and just enhances mycrobio content and things like that. So that anytimes a good time to do the humans the the other fertilizers by Microlife. Now would be a time to do your fall fertilizing with the one called brown patch. It's it's a brown bag and it's designed for applying this time of year.
Speaker 11: Okay, that's it.
Speaker 3: Thank you, have a great day.
Speaker 8: You've bet Thank you. I appreciate the appreciate the call very much. I Uh you heard me talk about Quality Home Products of Texas. You know, Quality makes the automatic or sells the automatic standby generator by Generats, high quality, high quality generator. It sits outside your house, power goes off, it comes on. You have to run out there, gass it up and pull a pull chain to get the thing producing energy. It does it automatically, just fires up. Quality is hiring licensed electricians and plumbers right now. And you know there's all these storms. I mean, everybody wants a generator now because we learned our lesson that Hey, this happens here. Welcome to the greater Houston, Aario. And it doesn't just have to be hurricane in the summer. I mean it could be it could be winter storms. You know where we lose our power. That's happened here before as well. But to be an employee of Quality and one of their licensed electricians and plumbers, you know Quality, all these guys are in house for them, they don't. They don't go out and hire somebody, you know, secondarily to come in and work on your stuff. They have their own competitive pay, comprehensive insurances, four one K matching retirement plans, holiday pay, and time off. Uh and just it's just a reputable, stable organization. Everybody I've ever talked to a quality I can just tell they loved working there. Go to Quality t X dot com. Quality t X dot com, and that's where you can apply online. We're going to head now to Joe Joannie, Joanne, excuse me, Joanne on Lake Conroe. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 7: Yeah, good morning.
Speaker 18: I bought a couple of plants yesterday at the store, grocery store, and I probably mistakenly bought three of the wrong ones. I like Turk's cap, but I've only seen it in the ground just growing natively. And I bought a single plant. I don't know what I'm going to do with it, but yeah, I put it in a pot for now, and I didn't know how that would work out, if I should put it in the ground or just try to start it in the pot for a while.
Speaker 8: Well, I mean you could put it in the pot, but it'll do just fine in the ground. It's a very tough perennial here.
Speaker 3: My ground is one.
Speaker 18: Yeah, and do they spread?
Speaker 8: They gradually spread outward over time, so occasionally you know you're gonna probably go out to that out and dig it up and say, okay, that's far enough. But it's not like bermuda grass. It's taken over the flower better thing. It's not that kind of spreader.
Speaker 18: And I thought, a my ground isn't the greatest, so I'll probably have to add some good soil to it. But I also bought a plant. I've never heard it called pepperonia for some reason. And what do you know about that plant?
Speaker 8: It's a houseplant. It needs quite a bit of light to do its best. Just be careful not to overwater it. The pepperonia will do just fine. But if you can get a bag, or if you can get you a bag or two a compost and throw it down on the ground, mix it in a little bit, you can go ahead and plant that turk's cap. And it's a nice plant. It has big red flower. Most of the types are red. There's a pink and a white type that they're not.
Speaker 19: Looking all right.
Speaker 11: Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 8: Love, thanks, thanks, bye bye. Well I already hear music. So when we come back, George and David, you are our first two up. Not gonna be able to catch your call before us our ends, but if you can hang around, well we'll put your first up when we come back. You're listening to garden Line our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kt r H Garden Line with Skip Rictor.
Speaker 2: It's Essy gas Trim. Just watch him as well.
Speaker 8: As so many birthdays.
Speaker 2: To sup Brasy gas lea not a sun glass, sun beam.
Speaker 20: And of.
Speaker 8: Good morning, Good morning on a beautiful Saturday morning. Get outside and get a little gardening done today. Boy is the weather ever great? I mean it just this. I love these temperatures. I spent yesterday all day out work and in the garden. By the way, my muscles are talking to me about that today. They were not real happy with the amount of exertion I was putting out, but I sure was happy with the results. I got a lot of things cleaned up and done. Let's head straight out to the to the phones this hour. We're going to go to George in Jersey Village. Hey, George, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 19: Thank you sched, Good morning to you too. And this is my wife's question. She's, well, we got about a million get goes in the garden and they come inside the house and they scare the poop out of her. So she wonders, is that kind of a can we do something about it or not? I don't care.
Speaker 11: I like them.
Speaker 19: And the next thing, thank you very much, go ahead, no, go ahead, thank you very much for the via that you talked me into getting. Man, it is beautiful now. But okay, how about the.
Speaker 8: Well, the geckos, you know, I mean, when someone's afraid of something, it's hard to talk them out of it. I just those geckos are eating insects, and so I had them running around the house. You know, I'm just saying they are a beneficial creature. Now we're going to quit trying to convince people to leave geckos in their house after that statement. But they're getting in under the door probably, and so it's kind of checked the thresholds. If you do, you know, tighten up that underneath the door crack, and that is probably one of the best ways to keep them out of there. That's the main way they're getting in, they're just looking for a warm place to be. They know what's coming. And so I had I had a couple of my house the other day, and my Golden Retrievers found them and it was game on. They didn't know what to do with them, but they were very excited about the fact that they were there. So yeah, all right, thank you, by bye, you bet you bet, thank you. You take care, appreciate your call. Plants for all seasons? Is that garden center you have been to before if you live anywhere up in that direction. They are off two forty nine, right where Luetta comes into two forty nine. So if you were going north, let's say we're heading from Houston to Humble and you exited Lueta, it wo just cross over Luetta and they're right there on the right hand side. Full service garden center BET around since nineteen seventy three, and that history and time has really made them a solid horticultural fixture in that whole region. People all know about plants for all seasons. They know when you go in there, you're going to find really cool plants. They know when you go in there, you're going to find lawn and garden experts that can direct, advise, diagnose, suggest and help you have success. You can take pictures and samples in there if you want to do that. Plants four All Seasons dot Com is the website, the phone number two eight one three seven six one six four six. When you swing by, check out all the new holiday cactus that are in. Oh my, they are primetime looking and beautiful. And another plant I don't talk about much here on guarden Line, but the adenium the desert rose, Oh my goodness here are so gorgeous. I just can't just I don't know a plant that has as many different colors of beautiful blooms as desert rose. And it's easy, easy to grow. They got them at Plants for All Seats. Go by there and check it out, just just north of Luetta on the Feeder Road FM two forty nine Tomboll Parkway. We're going to go now to David out in a tess Casita. Hey David, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 21: Good morning, how are you? Thanks for taking my call. I sent you an email day yesterday with a couple of pictures of some fungus or mushrooms growing in my yard. I want to try and get rid.
Speaker 11: But I have a dog that I.
Speaker 21: Send more time outside than inside, so I don't want to use a whole bunch of poison. I've tried some of the I guess you could call them over the counter fungus control methods liquid, and I think I even try to dry it one one time, and I thought I had them under control, but then they just started coming back. I don't know, like I said, if it's actually a mushroom or if it's just some other kind of fungus. Because it doesn't grow stem and cap like your normal mushrooms. It almost looks like growing across the ground.
Speaker 8: Yeah, those are. There are a bazillion different species of decomposer fungi out there. It looks like did you do a top dressing on the lawn. No.
Speaker 11: No, it's like.
Speaker 8: That's just your soil.
Speaker 21: Everyone's while. If I empty pot, I'll throw some dirt on the ground.
Speaker 8: Well, in the fall, when we get a little rain, get a little break in the temperatures, all kinds of mushrooms pop up all over the landscape. And basically all they're doing is they're just turning organic matter back into soil. That's what they do. And so they can pop out of the mulch on top of your garden beds, they can pop out of the grass. This is a is a particular kind of fungus. Of course, I'm not a mycologist. I can't tell you the name of all these fungi. But this is not a disease of plants, and they will come and go pretty rapidly. Actually, I would not be worried about them. I don't think you're gonna do anything trying to spray them with a funge a side at all. I don't think that'll help it.
Speaker 21: Okay, Okay, So yeah, either let them go or dig them up if I don't.
Speaker 8: Like them, If you don't like them, yeah, dig them up, or get a rate and kind of get under there and try to pull them out. But when they're all entangled with the Saint Augustine runners and leaves, it's it's a little hard to get them out of there. But yeah, you could do that. But like I said, they just something that comes and goes this time of the year a lot.
Speaker 21: Okay. And then the other I sent you. In the corner of my garden, we have a Japanese maple. I think it's a Japanese maple, and the previous owners of the house had elephant ears and other large leaf plants just surrounding it, and it took over the corner, and the sprinklers wouldn't get out onto the grass, and all kinds of others, and my wife doesn't like them. So I dug them all up, and I thought I got the roots, and I thought I got all the tubers that were down on the ground as best I could without cutting a whole bunch of the tree's roots. And I laid down some garden fabric, and I know what Randy used to say about that, but I did it anyway, and covered it up with new molts. And the elephant ears have found their way through that fabric and are growing back up. I'd like to get rid of them without damaging my tree. And once again, I have a dog. Well to spend a lot of time in.
Speaker 8: The yard right well, when you're out there digging around, usually you have to redig elephant ears two or three times just to get them all because the little piece left in the ground will pop back up. But you could go back to that with a fabric that's going to be hard to do. You might try a product wiping, a product that contains triclop here t ri I c l O P y r onto the leaves of those plants, or just a good broad leaf weed control product that you would use in your lawn. If you go to my website Gardening with Skip dot com, you will see something called herbicides for skip'sweed wiper, and those herbicides are grouped by the kind of plants you're going after. So either something you're spraying for like poison ivy on my list there, or something you're spraying for lawn weeds on my list there, they're all listed out. I would do that, just make sure and maybe put a little bit of a surfactin in there. Spreader it's called spreader sticker. Wherever you buy your product, get some spreader sticker and that makes it stick to those leaves and not not just run right off.
Speaker 21: Okay, and I'm in the I would Hunter would be the best place to go.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, Kingwoo Garden Center, Warren Southern Gardens out there. You got a number of places out there to go. And look, you know, got some great stores out there as well, So you guys are rich with opportunities of places to get this kind of stuff.
Speaker 21: Okay, all right, well I appreciate you, all right, thanks for the information.
Speaker 8: You bet and thank you for the call. All right, appreciate that. Take care, bye bye. All right, folks, got to run to a break. When we come back, we will be talking to Roger and Mark. All right, Welcome back to garden Line on a great day for gardening. I'm your host, Skip Richtor, and we're here to help you have a more bountiful garden, a more beautiful landscape, and more fun in the process. If someone asked me the other day, is it okay to put up azamite?
Speaker 20: Now?
Speaker 8: The answer is yes, it is. And here's the deal. Azmite is not the kind of fertilizer that makes your takeoff growing like that's nitrogen. That's the three big numbers on the bag kind of fertilizer. Azmite is a trace mineral supplement. When you put on asimite, what you're doing is you are investing in the bank account of your soil for trace minerals, so that when the grass needs a trace mineral, it's there and it's available and it'll need it. There are a number of different minerals that are needed in very tiny amounts, but they're essential and so as it's trying to grow, it's going to have to draw on though, So create that bank account in your soil with as mite azimite texas dot com. You can do it at the same day you're fertilizing. Just don't put fertilizer and asimite in the same hopper because the particle size is different. So just do the fertilizer, then do the as mite, or do the asmite anytime of the year that you choose to do that. That's just fine. I'm going to go now to Tumball, Texas and talk to Roger. Hey, Roger, welcome to Guardline.
Speaker 11: How you doing today. I'm calling to see what kind of I had a treat taken out and I have a big void and want to put some kind of grass in there. I have some Saint Augustine, but I have a cedar tree. It's kind of cut up high, you know, it's up high, but something will grow under there fairly. Well.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, if you've got Saint Augustine, you could just stay with that unless you want a mixture of different kinds of grasses in your launch. Saint Augustine is the most shade tolerant we've got. That's the thing. It's a very good grass for low light level areas, and so you could go that route. There's there's some zoysias that have significant shade tolerance as well.
Speaker 11: Any particular type on the Saint Augustine.
Speaker 8: Oh gosh. There are a lot of good varieties out there, and each one has its pros and cons. If you, you know, wherever you go and purchase your grasses, they're going to have certain varieties that they carry. Different different grass producers grow certain varieties. They don't try to grow everything there is out there. Uh, And again, each one has its pros and cons. But there's there is one called Cobalt that just came out of A and M recently that is very very drought resilient. It is a very deep rooted, tough Saint Augustine for drought resilience, very good for that. It also has pretty good shade tolerance too.
Speaker 11: Okay, thank you very much. Any nurseries carry those or just have to call around to see who.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you just have to call around. So there, you know, there's soil there. Nurseries that carry sod, some sod h Then there's soil purveyors around the area. You know that that's that's what they do, is they carry sod. I know there's a King Ranch has a bunch of stores in the Greater Houston area, And so you just go to where you are. I think I'd do better probably Roger if you if you said, yeah, I went this place and they had this and this and this, what do you think is about? So I could comment on those, that'd be a little leisure. But there's dozens of options out there.
Speaker 11: Thank you very much, free time, have a good one, all right, you.
Speaker 8: Bet you take care, Thanks for the call. Warbird's Unlimited is the place you go for anything related to birds, including knowledge related to birds. You walk into wildbirds, you talk to them and they can help guide you as to what you want to accomplish. Do you want a quality bird feeder? Well, what kinds of seed or what kind of birds do you want to feed? And they can show you the different feeders and the pros and cons that they have and they're all quality products. Their selection of seeds is second to none. Wibird's unlimited, unbelievable selection and a lot of cheap bird seed has those red bebes in it. Birds kick it out. They don't like to eat that stuff, and so you may not have spent as much for that bag, but you spent more for the seeds you actually got. Do you see what I'm saying. So what gets kicked on the ground can be half of what is actually in the sack of a cheap bird seed, and that is just not That is a waste of money. Wibirds Unlimited as quality feeds, and if you are looking for something for this time of the year, I would say use their unlimited Wildbirds Unlimited their Winter super Blend. That's the one. It has got lots of fat and protein. You know, birds have less time to feed these days because the days get shorter and shorter, and then there's a cold weather and having to make energy for their bodies stay warm and things. This Wabird's Unlimited Winter Super Blend is an excellent one. If you want to see some of it, come see me today. I'll be out in Kingwood at the wild Birds Store there on Kingwood Drive behind Torchy Stockos. We'll show you that that particular product as well as the other ones that they have, and I can explain to you better eye to eye there, what the difference is in these and why why you need to go with one of these wallbirds unlimited seed our feeders. I'm gonna head out now to Clear Lake, Texas and talk to Mark. Hey, Mark, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning.
Speaker 22: After the hurricane here this summer, I lost a couple of oak trees, and they took the rest of them out and ground the stumps, and they also filled in those areas with some good soil and also put some sod on top of it. So what I did is I watered it, you know, twice. I've put little pieces of sod before, but this was about a palletteful there in the backyard, so it was a large area, and so I watered it twice a day for at least a couple of weeks, especially in October, we weren't getting any rain and everything looked fine. And then after you know, about two weeks, I backed off and just did it once a day conservatively, And then we started getting some rain there towards the end of October, so I just let you know, nature water it. It was getting some nice steady rain back there.
Speaker 5: Well.
Speaker 22: Now last week it happened pretty fast that whole area now is brown it looks, and it's also on the outlying area.
Speaker 3: So it's not just the new saw it. So I don't know if it's some kind of fungus or something. I don't know what to do now.
Speaker 8: It must be it must be a rhizoctonia, which is what a large patch. I'm sorry, brown patches. I've seen a lot of browning out of areas. You know. Sometimes with brown patch you get these nice round circles that are real distinct, and sometimes it's kind of general areas just sort of browning out with the amount of water you gave it for the amount of time you watered it. It's not a lack of water that's causing this, that's for sure. Okay, Okay, I think now the more you water, the more brown patch becomes a problem. So it's possible that actually, you know that you've kind of got that really going in there now and you just got to let it run its course. You can put a fungicide on it, but once the circles appear, they're there. And if you had like one circle and you want to prevent more of them in the yard, I would say use use a product like nitrofoss eagle to stop it where it is. And there's nothing wrong with you in that. It's just that eagle can't turn dead grass green. And so if anything, i'd put out the eagle, get it, get it applied, water it in, believe it or not. You water that one in because the roots take it up and stop any additional damage that might be occurring.
Speaker 22: Well, these are huge areas, you know, and I was afraid to put anything. I was afraid to put anything on it. I really didn't want to put any fertilizer or any of that stuff on that new grass, right right.
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, i'll tell you what. I'm going to put you on hold, and I want you to won't you send me some pictures of it?
Speaker 4: Uh?
Speaker 8: My producer will give you my email address. Take some pictures of different angles. Maybe get something up close to so I can kind of see up close what this is looking like. And if I see anything else in it, I'll advise you on that. Okay, Mark, Oh that'll be great because I'll run out today, is all right? Get any products that you suggest, Okay, okay, I'll hold on, thank you, thank thank you. Just hang on and the manuel pick that up for you. Buchan As Native Plants is a premier garden center down in the Heights. You've probably been there before, you know what I'm talking about. They always have a wonderful stock of natives, but they have so much more right now. You ought to see their gift shop. Gift shops for all kinds of holiday decor. Oh my gosh, it's beautiful for trimming the tree. Are you looking for maybe a holiday plant for example, Thanksgiving or Christmas type cactus? Those holiday cacti make a good gift if you're going to visit somebody. They got the cyclomen that are just gorgeous in colors of white and pink and red and salmon, and they're just beautiful, beautiful color that can take cool. Not a hard heart freeze, but they can take considerable amount of cool down there at Buchanans. They also have camellias, which are a cool season plant. We got the Japonicas and the zankas. One of them gives you some December bloom when i'm's going to bloom more in January. But just gorgeous plants all at Buchanans. They are on Eleventh Street in the Heights East eleventh Street, Buchanansplants dot Com. We're going to go to a break here. When we come back, Fred and Kingwood, you will be our first up. Just one more reminder Today after the show twelve noon to two pm, i'llbe at the Wabbirds Unlimited, Kingwood on Kingwood Drive, right behind torches Tacos. Come on out, bring some samples, let's talk, let's figure things out, and let's help you have a more beautiful garden, a more bountiful landscape in the process. Hey, welcome back to garden Line. Welcome back to garden I'm glad to have you with us today. I wanted to talk to you about the Nitrofoss Texas three step. You've heard me mention it a number of times. Basically what it is. It's a fertilizer, a weed prevention and a disease prevention. Okay. The fertilizer is Nitrofoss Fall Special designed for fall. The sooner you get it down the better, so the grass plants can take it up for it gets too cold, and it will make them more hearty. Because when you provide a good load of potassium the third number on the bag with some nitrogen, the first number on the bag. That helps the plants as they capture sunlight and make carbohydrates to be heartier and they come out stronger in the spring. Also second is the barricade. The weed prevention doesn't kill weeds that are there. It prevents weed seeds from germinating. And our cool season weeds are germinating right now now. Nitropus barricade is applied and watered in. The third is Nitropus eagle turf fungicide, again applied and watered in. The roots take it up and then when brown patch tries to attack the plant, it's got the eagle turf fungicide in it. Think of it like you would take an antibiotic, and then if you got some disease that's infecting you, that antibiotic fights it off. Right, That's how that eagle turf fungicide works. It gets in the plant and it protects the plant that way. Three steps Nitropos falls special wind a riser, Nitrofus barricade pre emergent control for the cool season weeds that are germinating now, and Nitropus eagle turf fungicide which helps protect against brown patch and some that take all root Rod as well. You're gonna find this down in Baytown at Fishers Hardware, as well as the Fishers in Mount Bellevue, Pasadena and Laporte and the East Hardware up there at Single Ranch Arborgate up in Tombaugh in Shades of Texas, Southeast Houston on Genoa Red Bluff. We're going to go now up to Kingwood and talk to Fred. Hey, Fred, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 4: Good morning, Skip. We've had stumps ground before, and this particular one I had ground.
Speaker 1: Earlier this week.
Speaker 4: There was hardly any big chips. They were all very tiny, about the size of my little finger or fingernail. And I've been trying to separate the dirt from the chips and that's an almost impossible task. Is there anything that I can pour into the hole in various layers to help those chips decompose faster?
Speaker 8: Well, they are in contact with some microbes and they will decompose. Wood chips have a lot of carbon, and so a little boost of nitrogen with it will help a little bit. So you might want to get you, you know, a nitrogen fertilizer. A fertilizer has quite a bit of nitrogen in it. Which is not what we're putting on our yards right now, the high nitrogens. But for this chip, sprinkling a little bit on there and watered in, you know, and then I would say, late winter, sprinkle a little bit more on there and water and scratch it in. And as that nitrogen gets down there, the combination with the microbes and little extra nitrogen will speed that decomposition some.
Speaker 4: So a high nitrogen granule fertilizer.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you can do granule, you could do a liquid. It doesn't matter how you go about it. It's a little less expensive to use a granule that compared to a liquid.
Speaker 4: All right, that sounds great. I'll do that, thank you, sir.
Speaker 8: Yeah, yeah, not a problem at all. In fact, Nelson Fertilizers has something called bruce Is that would be a good one for use on that. It's it's uh, it's going to release over time, but give you some good immediate release too.
Speaker 4: Thank you, very good.
Speaker 12: Appreciate it.
Speaker 8: All right, thank you, you bet, Thank you. Appreciate your call. We are now going to go to Matt Matt in the NASA area. Hey Matt, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 5: Nice kid.
Speaker 15: Just an update. I'm actually dying Corpus. Now I'm always there over at NASA.
Speaker 8: The last time I called you, you're in Corpus.
Speaker 15: Okay, Yeah, I have two questions. The first one is I have a chili tippee plant that's about three people, and about two weeks ago, it looked like the landscapers might have come and like user weed eater and like chopped part of the side of it. All there's like little raw snu where it was like they were just torn off, so I thought it was maybe them, and I looked at it. About another week later, I noticed it had like some little mites and stuff crawling on it. So I bought some uh to any uh it's dicidal soap organic and I gred it really good at that and then that was about four or five days and now it's basically I took some picture though I couldn't find the place to send them to you, but it's basically lost all the leaves off of it, all the stems and everything else that's healthy. And then around some of the areas where it was broken off, the leaves like turned brown, so it has well.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would I would hold off on the anymore spraying. You know, we're getting into the cool season here, and so just you know, if you've grown those before, if we have a real hard for you, you should want to protect them a little bit. But I would I think it'll be okay. It's it could be a number of things. It could be an excessive amount of water. Sometimes when you mix soap and sexidal soap too strong, you can burn leaves with that. But there's not a pest of chili pekins. That's something you need to really spray for. In general, they're they're a pretty tough plant, so I would just give it some time.
Speaker 15: It look like it's like chewed through the stem. Though it was like I mean, it was like a I took a weed eater to the side of it, but I think it was wherever it was was eating.
Speaker 8: I tell you what, I'll put you. I'm gonna put you on hold. My producer will give you an email and send me some pictures. I want to see the whole bush, and I want to see up close and sharp focus those areas you're talking about. And if I see anything else, I'll let you know.
Speaker 3: Okay.
Speaker 15: And I had a second question also, okay, real quick, what do you recommend for like Stickerberr or Sandsburg control over the large arty.
Speaker 8: Nitroposs makes a product called Barricade that works well for that, and you're going to want to apply it down in the corpus area. You want to get it out in I would say early February so that you you don't have any graspers germinating too early on it. Then you probably want to go about sixty ninety days later and apply it again to continue that protection. Barricade by Nitrophoss, Yes, barricade is is their pre emergent and it grasper is a warm season germinator. It germinates a little bit later than some things like crabgrass do. But you just need that second application because when the first wears off, the graspers can still germinate if you don't. Okay, yeah, I do it early, and I would do it again. I'm a sixty to ninety days later. All right, Matt, thank you, and I'll put you on hold a man you'll pick it up and he'll give you an email address that you can send that to. Well, let's see here. I wanted to tell you about landscapers Pride a couple of products that they have. They've They've got something called healthy Soil compost. It's made from one locally sourced green materials. They decompose it down into a super high quality compost material that is good for any kind of soil, sand or clay, whatever you've got. Quality compost like healthy soil compost will benefit that soil and therefore make a better root zone for the plants. Therefore better plants, a better production. Mushroom compost is made from clean local mushroom substrate. The mushroom compost is a very potent kind of compost and I've used it for year decades. Actually, mushroom compost is really good for giving plants an extra boost even beyond on what a regular composts can do. You can go to Landscaperspride dot com find out more about all their products. They've got a couple dozen plus products that they produce, from soil amendments to mulches, widely available in the Houston area. Go to Landscaperspride dot com you can find out exactly where near you you can find their products. We're going to go to a break now and I'll be right back with some more calls. We're going to talk to Marie and Jeff and Jeff got two Jeffs waiting in line. Hey, welcome back to the garden line. Glad you're listening today. We've got a lot to talk about. There's plenty of things to be doing out in the garden and the landscape. If you are west of Tombol or Tumble area and toward the west out twenty nine to twenty is D and D Feed and Supply. D and D Feed and Supply has been around since nineteen eighty nine and the place just keeps getting better. They added onto the building a little while back, and the stock that they have of everything you need for your lawn in your garden is outstanding.
Speaker 12: You know.
Speaker 8: Of course it's a feed store. You're going to find lots of different quality feeds for livestock and pets whatnot. For example, dog food they got Origin Diamond, Victor Star Pro, real high quality types of things. You're going to find nitrofoss there. You're going to find bonnit Microlife, Turf Star, Medina, Airloom soils, Nilson, plant Food, Landscapers, Pride. They do carry flats of vegetables and seeds and things like that, and other kinds of plants seasonally out there out front as you drive by, three miles west of two forty nine on twenty nine twenty. The Dover family has been operating this since it first opened up in nineteen eighty nine, and it just again, it just keeps getting better. If you hear me talk about, oh, you got this past or weed or disease problem, and you need to go get such and such, they're going to have it there at D and D Feed. We love our feed stores on Guardline and D and D Feed just west of Combol on twenty nine twenty. It's about three miles west of two forty nine. Go check them out. Let's see here. We are now going to go to Jeff in Plantersville. Hey Jeff, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 16: Hey Skip, how are you doing.
Speaker 8: I'm good.
Speaker 16: I just wanted to ask you about I've got this weed called barning or stinging nettle.
Speaker 21: I don't know if you're okay with it, but I am.
Speaker 16: It's terrible when I go out to feed my horses in the morning and I go out there and open toe shoes or sandals, I'm in trouble because that.
Speaker 8: Oh yeah, yeah, fils you about.
Speaker 16: I just want to know what.
Speaker 8: It's believe it or not. Even though the leaves are fine textured, it's it's a type of broad leaf weed. It's not a grass, it's.
Speaker 12: Not a salt, it's a broad leaf.
Speaker 8: So anything you would put out to control broad leaf weeds in your lawn would control that. I would say, in the spring, go online to my gardening schedules that are at gardening with skip dot com. Look at the lawn pest Disease and Weed Management schedule. Put down the barricade pre emergent in the spring, apply that in. Let me see where your planters be. Yeah, you're going to apply that in early to mid February for that weed, and then you could do it a little bit later. But just to be safe, you may need to do a second application thirty or sixcuse me sixty to ninety days later and rodded in. If you get some of that that escapes the pre emergent, you can use a post emergent, a TRIMEC type product or some post emergent broadly weed control to control it. But do it early on when the plants are young, before they're already setting their seeds and things like that. Yeah, okay, and get you a pair of closed toad shoes.
Speaker 16: Yeah, it's terrible. Another thing I was gonna tell you a couple of years ago, told me about I was trying to grow me some live oak trees and I'm out in planter's feeling there is they're not just indigenous to that area. But whatever you told me worked perfect.
Speaker 21: I've got that live oak in there and it's.
Speaker 3: Twenty booths all now, so oh my gosh.
Speaker 20: Okay, yeah, well, thank you, thank you.
Speaker 8: Glad to hear that word. You bet you take care. Appreciate your call very much. The folks at Medina have a number of quality products. You know, Medina products have been around for a very long time and everybody knows about you know, Medina's has to grow six twelve six six T six is a plant food, got high phosphorus that middle number, and it's excellent for transplanting plants. So it's got Medina soil activator in it. It stimulates biological activity. It's got humid humic acid excuse me, which improves the soil structure, improves nutrient uptake. As a result of that, seaweed extracts are in it as well. It's really quite the concoction medina has to grow six well six. Get you a watering can, low measuring cup. Follow the label. You're not going to burn with it, by the way, it's not a salt based kind of product that you burn your plants with. You can use it for folier application, but i'd put it in a watering can. Anything you plant in the ground, drench it in well with. Medina has to grow six twelve six and that will help the roots get off to a good start. That's why that hiphosphorus is in there. By the way, help it get off to a good start and you can have success fallest planting season. The best planting season. Medina has to grow six twelve six is something you need to look at. We're going to go now to Marie. Hello, Marie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 23: Thank you, Good morning, Good morning, good morning. My question is can you fertilize your lawn while treating it for nut fledge? We had it, we had a really bad case of nut fledge weed, and we applied some Ortho nuts sledge this insecticide on Wednesday. And now I'm wondering if I can go ahead and fertilize now or should I wait?
Speaker 8: No, you can't you can do that. I'm not familiar with what's in that ortho nuts sedge probably.
Speaker 7: Okay, it was specifically it said nuts sledge.
Speaker 8: On the bag, so okay, well, I'm gonna see if I can find out what's in it. Make sure this is gonna be one that is gonna work pretty well for you if I can get it to tell me what's in the label. Here we go, Okay, self enter zone. Yeah, you may get pretty good results with it. If you don't, next time you go out shopping, get something that has a lot that's called sedge hammer or sedge ender. Sedge hammer or sedge ender. And if you go to my website Gardening with skip Com, I have two publications on nuts edge. If you'll read the longer one, it'll help you understand how that weed works. Uh, and it's you. You don't ever let nutsedge be in your yard until it has more than five leaves on the nut sedge, meaning you want to when it gets up and gets some leaves so you can put spram spram because if you let it set, it'll create eight daughter plants and you may kill mama. But now you've got eight times as much because you let you let it send too long. So read that publication. It's really really helpful. And also on there it'll give you a list of the products I'm talking about that I think will do their best on that.
Speaker 23: Okay, we have a lot of nut sledge. We had our yards resought it this summer and with the rain and YadA, YadA YadA, the grass never really.
Speaker 8: So all I got you, I got you what what what part of the area listening area for you will Woodland's okay? All right, well just just get that, get that go online. It's all free my stuff up there, and just read about it, learn about it, get the names. In next spring when the nutsedge comes back, that's the time to go after one of those products. I got to run, Marie, but thank you for the calling. Good luck getting ahead of that little monster.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: Southwest Fertilizer is the kind of place that you find everything. You know, I'm naming these products for Nutsedge. Bob's got all of that. And then it's been around since nineteen fifty five on corner Bissonet and Renwick. Corner Bissinet and Renwick, So it's real easy. It's easy to get to and they always have everything that you need. That That is just how it is a Southwest Fertilizer. If they don't have it, you don't need it. Ninety foot wall of tools now the largest selection in the city of products to control weeds, insects, and diseases. The largest section of fertilizers, and the largest section of organic products. Did you know that if you're an organic gardener, Southwest Fertilizer gives you the biggest range of organic options you got. Hey, it's time done with mowing season coming up here, Get that mower blade, sharpen. They can do that there Southwest Fertilizer. If you got any small engine repair you need to do, they got a shop in the back that can do that as well. Southwest Fertilizer dot com is a website and the phone number seven one three six six six seventeen forty four. Well, I hear the music coming here. Jeff out in Spring Branch. We worked hard at getting to you, but didn't quite make it this hour. You will be our first up if you can hang around when we come back into the next hour. I want to remind you I'm going to be a Kingwood wild Birds Unlimited on Kingwood Drive right behind Torchies Tacos. I'll be there today from twelve noon until two pm. Come by. I want to show you this Kingwood is the awesome Kingwoodwall birds store there really really cool. Bring me samples of plants. You know we've been talking about weeds and describing and things. Throw it all in the bag, bring it in. We'll identify it, We'll tell you what to do. This is ida eye time with me rather than a quick call on the phone. Here we can sit and we can talk. We can look at things, uh and just really do a good job diagnosing, identifying whatever you need. Plus, I just love to meet folks that listen to garden Line. Bring your camera so we can get a picture made.
Speaker 1: To Welcome to kat r H garden Line with Scamp Richard.
Speaker 3: It's trim.
Speaker 18: Just watch him as.
Speaker 2: So many things to spot taking not a sign s starting out.
Speaker 8: Hey, welcome back, Welcome back to garden Line. Glad to have you with us this morning. Thanks for being a garden Line listener. My goal is for you to have more success in your garden. I want gardening to be fun. It should be fun. You can't fail at gardening. You're going to give up. You give up. That's failing. If you just stick with it, keep learning, keep listening, keep calling with your questions, we will just help turn that brown thumb green. Because there is no such a thing as a brown thumb, by the way, just an uninformed thumb. And we're here to inform your thumb, so make sure your thumbs listening. This morning, we'll go ahead straight out to Spring Branch and talk to Jeff. Jeff, thanks for waiting. How can we help.
Speaker 24: Today, Hey, Skiff, happy to wait. Man, you are such a huge help. And I'm looking for suggestions on some fruit trees or something that I can plant up in western Walker County, some property that I've had and want to get some trees started. The one caveat that I'll go out there and get your take on it happens to be a part of the property that it's it's always a little.
Speaker 21: Wet, not not real wet.
Speaker 24: I'm not worried about, you know, playing something in the swamp, but it's always got plenty of water as where the drainage goes. So happy to answer me the other questions, but want your advice.
Speaker 3: All right.
Speaker 8: First of all, I got to make my phone quit ringing somebody, I thought, now find my phone alert? Well, I know where my phone is, right in front of me, ringing on the radio. You know, most fruit likes well drained soil. So if periodically when you go when we go through those rainy periods of death, you end up with kind of soggy conditions, fruit's not gonna be real happy with that. So what you can do, I'd do two things. First, I'd go out there where you think your fruit trees need to go and get you a post holed digger and dig down about two feet, just straight down, and then fill that. Get you a you know, five gallon bucket of water, fill it up, fill up the hole, and then come back and see how long it takes to drain out. You know, come back in eight hours, come back in twelve, come back in twenty four forty eight. It ought to drain out in twenty four hours. If it doesn't, if there's still water at the you know, maybe a foot down or whatever in the hole that's not draining out, that's an indication you're gonna need to build up or raised area for those trees. You know, you can do it by bringing soil in and dump it in, making a big pictures mound out there for each tree. You can do it by. I don't know what kind of equipment you have, but if there's a way to plow up a little area, but you do need good drainage, and so you ought to at least have a foot of soil the water table lot to at least be a foot down. It'd be better for his little further than that. But anyway, I would check that first, and maybe you choose a different location. Maybe you do something like I was saying, to raise up the soil. As far as trees go, you can grow a lot of stuff up there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 8: There's a lot of peaches that will do well in that area. The pears, there's a lot of good pears. It just kind of depends on what kind of fruit you want to grow. Do you know if hand? If do you know if hand if the soil is sandy or clay.
Speaker 24: I haven't done in a two analysis on it yet, you know, And there's all kinds of different ways I could do that, I know, but I would assume that it's predominantly clay. I know that there are some nice sandy areas, so it might be a good mixture there. I don't know, but I'll check it out.
Speaker 8: Okay, all right. Well, and then when you're ready to plant, are you are you in Walker County?
Speaker 12: Yeah right?
Speaker 24: I mean literally right at the Walker Montgomery line.
Speaker 8: Oh okay, well, you you know you've you've access to done Montgomery County. You've got a horticulture agent Michael Potter that could advise you there up in Walker, You've got an ag agent there that could advise you to on some of those things as far as soil maps and whatnot. But uh, the AGI Horticulture website has got a lot of good stuff on fruit trees. You go there and look at the fruit tree section, and you know, let's say you wanted to do pairs, well, it would show you varieties of pairs that do well in your area. It would it would give you emation on planting and pruning each of the fruit trees just however you whatever you decide to plant. So I take advantage of that free info too.
Speaker 21: Yeah, definitely, Well, thank you very much.
Speaker 24: Most important is getting my getting my soil, right, I got that, so thank you?
Speaker 8: Yep, yeap, you got it all right?
Speaker 3: Well care.
Speaker 8: Bye bye? All right, folks, fruit trees are fun to grow. I love I love fruit trees and more people ought to be growing fruit trees. When you plant a fruit tree, one of the things you need to remember is drainage. It's important, and sunlight is important. If you want a sweet fruit, it's made sweet by sugars, and sugars are carbohydrates and carbon hybrids. Hydrates are only made when the sun shines on the fruit trees leaves. So if you're in half day shade, you're going to get half the carbohydrate production you would have in full sun. That kind of thing, and then pick the variety that fits, pick one that has the right chilling for the area that you're in. And we can help you with those kind of things here on Guardline. But like I said, the horticulture website, the fruite section is awesome. I mean it goes into all of that stuff. Let's see, We're gonna head now out to Correne in Houston. Hey, Corene, Hi, Skip, how are you?
Speaker 25: I have a big problem with dollar eat.
Speaker 1: I mean I've tied to.
Speaker 20: Rip it out.
Speaker 19: I sprayed with vinegar that just the grass dive.
Speaker 11: But not the dollar beat.
Speaker 19: What can I do?
Speaker 10: Okay, it's really bad?
Speaker 8: This Yeah, there is a there are products that are on my website at the Herbicide for skip'sweed wiper forget the weed wiper apartment. It's the list. It's called Herbicides for weed Wiper and if you go to the section on herbicides that are for broad leaf weeds in the lawn, it will give you a list of options. One of the better ones to use is something called Celsius, like the temperature Celsius. Okay, it's not it's not cheap, but you buy a little packets that make a gallon of spray, and a gallon goes a long way because you're just barely wetting the leaves of the weed. And if if you get celsius, get a spreader sticker with it, something that helps the spray not roll off of those slick dollar weed leaves. That that's very important for it being successful. But there are other herbicides out there. Celsius is just one that I think you.
Speaker 7: I mean, the leaves are getting bigger and bigger. They start out real tiny, and sometimes I'm on my hands and knees with some something and try to pull them up.
Speaker 20: But it's it's a fighter.
Speaker 19: That's not that I'm not going to go in.
Speaker 8: Yeah you can't. You can't pull dollar weed successfully. So just get that spray makes it real easy to do. Okay, you'll you'll win. You may have to treat it again some next year, but you good ahead of it.
Speaker 12: Yeah, okay, thank you so much, you.
Speaker 8: Bet, Thank you appreciate the call. Hey, our phone number seven one three two one two k t r H if you'd like to call in. Uh, Janet Forest is stocked up right now. They are absolutely stocked up with all kinds of things for the cool season. You know, Amarillis bulbs for example. They've got the cyclomen is, just one of the best cool seasoned flowers we have, so pretty. They're loaded up on herbs and all kinds of quality really qualities, shrubs and trees for example. Uh, they've got hollies, many many varieties of hollies, the red maple, the kind that will grow here. They've got that Chinese fringe tree, one of my favorite spring blooming trees, little shaggy white ballooms with a pleasant fragrance, and then red buds of course. And in the gift shop, well, it's it's looking a lot like Christmas in there. Christmas round top materials. The iron materials have arrived as well. All you have to do is head out to Enchanted for us. They are on FM twenty seven to fifty nine, twenty seven to fifty nine, So if you're going from Richmond towards sugar Land, it's off to the right FM twenty seven to fifty nine Enchanted Forests. And I promise you this, when you go, you will be very impressed with this place. It is when I drive up and park in the parking lot, it's like I can't wait to get in because it just looks so cool. It's enchanting. I guess that's what they call it that anyway, Enchanted for us everything you need for fall planting, vegetables, herbs, flowers, and definitely the most important planting season of the year for shrubs and trees. They've got new shipments and it is ready to go go home with you so you can have beautiful blooms, beautiful foliage, beautiful shade, whatever you choose in the future. Well, I got to go to a little break here. I've gone really long on this one. When I come back, we'll talk to Bob and Conroe. First. Hey, welcome back to the guard Line. Good to have you with us today. Hey, I wanted to tell you a little bit about Pierce Scapes. Pierce Scapes they are landscape magicians. They really are. If go online, don't take my word for it, go online to Piercescapes dot com. Piercescapes dot com. Take a look at the work they do. It is gorgeous. I mean they can do a major complete planting or overhaul of your entire property, or they can just work on a particular area. Maybe you've got you want a bed installed or a bed revamped and some new plants put in, and just general. Do you need irrigation repairs, Do you need landscape lighting, do you need hardscapes? Maybe you want a patio that is just a beautiful outdoor gathering area. Maybe you want to go all out and have a patio that has a rocked in barbecue pit, and you know, you get the idea. They do any of that kind of thing. They also do quarterly maintenance trimming, weeding, fertilizing, air raiding, soil soil additions, mult editions, seasonal color irrigation inspections, all of that. Just sign up for the quarterly maintenance for that Pierce Caapes dot Com is the website. The phone number two eight one three seven oh fifty sixty. Write this down two eight one three seven zero five zero six zero. We're going to go now to Conroe and talk to Bob. Hey, Bob, welcome to Guardenline.
Speaker 25: Good morning, Skip sure appreciate all of the patients and that you provide for us novices out here.
Speaker 8: Happy to be here. Hey, how can we help today?
Speaker 25: I send in a couple of pictures that I wanted you to take a look at of some shrubery in our yards.
Speaker 11: I don't know exactly what these are.
Speaker 25: I believe that they're comia or something.
Speaker 8: Okay, I think that what you have there is a wax leaf lagustrum.
Speaker 25: Is what it looks Okay, Now that makes sense as well, and and and.
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, yeah, that is the number one disease of wax leaf lagustriums called it's a fungal leaf spot, so cosparra leaf spot.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: Every one of those spots has a little black dots in it. Eventually that are spores like volcanoes shooting spores in the air. So all of the other leaves now have spores land on them and get sick and the more it rains or the more you water with a spray mists it gets up on the leaves. Either way, it just gets worse and worse. I'm not a fan of them.
Speaker 3: Uh.
Speaker 8: And if you've ever been thinking about redoing that area, well, this would be a good time just to do it and put something else in that's not like that. If you don't want to do that, and I understand that, you're going to need to get on a spray schedule, rake up all the fallen leaves to get them out of the area, and if if it's not too tedious picking off leaves that are affected would be good, spraying them with a product that I'm going to give you two different products, and you're gonna want to alternate between them. So whenever you have a rainy spell, go out and spray right away and get those leaves sprayed with either DACONYL D A C O N I L or something called belaton B A Y L E T O N and you can alternate between those two. Fungen X is also something that you could that you could use fungen X, but you don't want to use just one. You want to alternate between the two and especially after anything that what's the foliage? You need to get out there and do a spray and eventually by raking up leaves, picking off affected leaves, spraying regularly, you can get back ahead of it again. But it's always going to be around because it's just ubiquitous out there in nature.
Speaker 25: Yes, indeed, it is okay, very good.
Speaker 8: Why that's why I said at the beginning, if you're thinking about replanting, now would be a good time that once you start dealing with that, that is just who wants to get and spray every time it rains, you know? So anyway, I hope that helps Bob. Very good, Thank you sir, Thank you appreciate that call very much. Uh So the nitrophos folks, I was telling somebody wall to go about barricade there. We were doing it for grassburs for example, and that's something you do in the spring. And that's on my schedule. You look at my schedule gardening with skip dot com. That's my website. The schedule's free. There's a lawn care schedule and a weed, pest and disease management schedule. You'll find these nitroposs products on there. On both schedules. For example, the three step nitrofoss Fall special fertilizer. That's step one, step two nitrofoss barricade to prevent weeds. Now graspers we prevent in the spring, but right now you're putting barricade down to prevent the cool season weeds like chickweed and hend bent and carpet weed and cleavers and all of those clover those kinds of things. And then the third step is eagle tour funge a side. You can put all three down on the same day, just one right after the other, and then water them all in with about a half inch of water. Get them in the soil where all three of them do what they're going to do to protect your plants. You're going to find these products at dead Feed and Tomball at Plantation Ace Hardware out in Richmond, and Hiding and Feed on Stubner Airline. I gotta take a little bit of a break. I believe we're up against a break. Is that correct?
Speaker 3: Or?
Speaker 8: Am I off on my time here? So speak in my ear if you if you hear one way or the other. Uh, we had some time, okay.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: Let me then go out to Dickenson and talk to Linda. Hey, Linda Walk of the garden line.
Speaker 7: Thank you. I have yellow spots in my yard and they're getting bigger and getting more of them. I put down the eagle turf fund beside around the middle to the end of October, and.
Speaker 15: That happened.
Speaker 7: Kept them from appearing. And I tried bug bug out and compost.
Speaker 19: And that hasn't okay, okay.
Speaker 8: So there's two kinds of yellow out there. One of them, the whole leaf just turns kind of a bright yellow color before it turns brown and dies back. That is probably due to raise actonia, which is what brown patch is. There are other versions of raisa than brown patch, but anyway, that's the bright yellow leaves and then turned brown. If when you see yellow, you go pick one of those leaves and hold it up to the sky and it's green and yellow striped when you look at it real close, little skinny little lines up and down the leaf, then that's iron deficiency, and you can fix that with a keylated iron product, something that has iron in a keylated form, which means the soil doesn't tie it up so much. But one of those two is going to be the cause of your.
Speaker 7: They turn brown, there are no lines from the earth.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Then nine to five says a product called Eagle Turf fungicide. I would go ahead and do it now and water it in with about a half inch of water so the roots can take it up. Areas where you've lost the leaves are going to stay that way until we have enough warm weather for the grass to grow new leaves on those runners. So it's not going to just make everything change overnight, but it will prevent it'll prevent further damage and loss.
Speaker 7: Okay, I put down Aiden turf in October, So you think I need to.
Speaker 19: Read Oh you did.
Speaker 8: You shouldn't need to reapply it that fast. Maybe you were. Maybe some of this was already infecting before you applied it. I don't know. I'll tell you what. Let's do this, Linda. Will you take some pictures, show me the whole lawn and then get up close to the yellow areas and show me some pictures in good sharp focus. I'm going to put you on hold. My producer will give you an email. Let me take a look at those, just to make sure I'm talking about the same thing you're seeing. Okay, okay, thank you, all right, I'll be happy to happy to go. That was just hang on a second, Emmanuel, pick up the phone just second. Yeah, that that's boy, that's interesting. You know, it's always good to see pictures because I have folks that will send me a picture and then they'll go, I'll call on Saturday or Sunday. And by the way, when you email me, I would I like to be able to answer everybody's email, but I just can't handle the volume. There's just no way. So what we do is if send me an email and then follow up with a call, and we'll be happy to help you as best we can that way. You know, the Arbor Gate in Tomball is an extraordinary place. Those of you who have been there know what I'm talking about. By the way, I allow yourself some time when you go. It's not a place you run into and run out of, like a seven eleven. This is a place you go in and you hang out and you just go wow or cool, or I didn't know they had those, or oh, I can't live without that yard art. They have got all kinds of good stuff right now. The gift shops are loaded for the holidays. Do you want something, maybe you don't have a chameleon in your yard. Wouldn't you like a Camellia japonica or susanqua that gives you blooms in either late the early winter or the late winter, mid to late winter. They've got those, They've got azilia. They've got all kinds of wonderful plants there, plus everything else you possibly would want a plant, from houseplants to vegetables, to herbs to annual flowers. Have some gorgeous, always always seasonal color is galore at the arbor Gate is. It is the kind of nursery and garden center where you know you're going to get great plants and unusual things as well, so you don't want the same meat and potatoes everybody else has. But you're also going to get advice. You're going to get professional advice by people that know what they're talking about. And you know what I say, brown stuff before green stuff, meaning fix the soil, then plant the plant. Arbor Gates got you covered in their one two three easy system. Unorganic food complete, unorganic soil complete, in an organic compost complete. Those three bags set you up for success with your plants. All right, Time for me to take a break. I'll be right back. When we come back, we will head out to Clear Lake and talk to Mark. Welcome back, Welcome into Gardenline. We're glad to have you with us. We've got lots of things to still talk about. That's the way it is with gardening. No matter what the day is, no matter what the weather is, there's something to be doing. There's something to be talking about, that is for sure. ACE Hardware Store speaking of something to be talking about. Ace Hardware Stores have the products you hear me talk about on garden Line to help you have a more bountiful garden and a more beautiful landscape right now. For example, in your yard, we're talking about fall fertilizers. ACE has it. We're talking about, you know, barricade to prevent weeds from coming up. Ace has it. We're talking about eagle tour fungicide. Ace has it. From ninetrofiles. They've got everything you can imagine. They've got the fire ant baits and maund treatments. By the way, now's the time I keep telling you, this is the best time to get those baits down, to shut those little boogers down, so when you come out in spring, you're not overloaded with the fire ants. Now it's a good time to do that. ACE seasonally always has something going on, you know, their life and things like that. We're gonna be talking about that soon because they are the place to decorate inside and outside your home for all these holidays that we're about to enter into. Go to Acehardware dot Com find the store locator and you can find one of the over forty stores that's near you. I'm going to head now to mark Out in clear Lake. Hello, Mark, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 3: Hey, good morning, Skip. I sent you the email that you wanted.
Speaker 22: It's got some pictures that those brown patched areas and if you've noticed where I resided that that browning's kind of extended outside of that boundary a little bit.
Speaker 8: So, oh, yes, yes I did. I did see those. Yeah, I can so what I see over in the distance or the circles that are rise like Tonya brown patch, and I see some of that in the floor ground. The problem. The thing that's throwing me though, is throughout the yard it is brown completely and there's some little sprigs of green in it. And I'm thinking maybe you have to take all root rot going on in those areas. I can't stand, you know, ten feet away from grass and say that's take off for sure. But I've seen it so much that I kind of know it, and I think you may be dealing with take all root rot on that. Did you I'm trying to remember now the call. Did you say you had used eagle already or not?
Speaker 3: Oh? No, sir, I have not. I was afraid to really put anything on there.
Speaker 17: You know.
Speaker 22: I didn't want to destroy the new grass and I was just trying to figure out what's going on.
Speaker 3: You can do it, you know, you can go ahead.
Speaker 8: I'm sorry, No, No, it's okay, go ahead.
Speaker 22: You know the the picture, the far off pictures you see there you can see where there was a tree there, and then you look beyond the merd bath and there was a tree there, and so mine watering when I watered those areas.
Speaker 3: I'm sure you know.
Speaker 22: I just didn't do that one area, but you can see I kind of watered the border as well, so right, I.
Speaker 3: Can see what kind of spread.
Speaker 8: Yeah, I would get some eagle to our fund to side and I put that down right away, water it in and let's try to hold things where they are right now and not get any worse. If a couple of options. There are some products that are especially good against takeoll. Root right eagle will help on that, But there's some other products that you can use for take off and then there we've seen good results with putting peet moss out at about a third of an inch deep. You can buy peat moss by the compressed bale. You break it apart and you just take your little barrow, dump little piles of it everywhere and turn a rake upside down, a soil rake upside down so the times are pointing upward, and play shuffleboard out there, you know, get your arms down low, swinging back and forth, and you can just spread that real easily all over that area, and any grass that's still alive in there, it will help bring that back. There are a number of if we determine it's take all, there are a number of things you can do for it. But I think you know, I hate to send you out to do everything without knowing for sure what we're dealing with. But it looks dead enough to not be brown patched to me. Get on your hands and knees, look at those dead areas, look at the runners and see if the runners are still green. If they are, you probably are Okay. If not, you're going to be residing those areas.
Speaker 22: There's a there's a close up area picture I took. I don't know if that if that helps any.
Speaker 8: Oh did you send me a photo of that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's there's one see three four pictures. And I think it's cold.
Speaker 8: Okay, I see, yeah, I see the clothing. Yeah, that that's the resodded area. Okay, Well, uh, still what I said, same thing. Put the eagle out a S A P. And let's watch and see how it does. H and just kind of watch the overwatering. It doesn't need hardly any water once we cool off here. So uh, just let's let's go from there. Okay.
Speaker 3: So you think the sod is I resott it is, okay, but around it is, yeah.
Speaker 8: Bottom bottom line. I'm having to guess from photos. But get on your hands and knees, look for the runners and see if they're green or not. If they're green, that was probably brown patch and it'll bounce back. If they're brown, it was takeoff patch and they're not coming back. You're gonna end up resotting some of those, okay, Okay, gonna have to run. I'm gonna have to run. But yeah, thanks for the call. By the way, I appreciate that. Good luck with it. Don't don't hesitate to call back. And some more.
Speaker 3: Well, I'd like to talk to you about the tomatoes I grow in the summer, so we'll see you then. Let's do that.
Speaker 8: Sounds like a plan, man, appreciate that, you know, talking about beautiful lawns and things. BnB Turf Pros is the company for those of you in south West Houston to get your grass in top shape. They will come in, they will do a core aeration. They pop the little plugs out of the ground, leave them on the surface, which is what you want, and they will then do it compost top dressing. Now they have a special going on this fall free aeration when you schedule a compost top dressing. And they use quality, only quality stuff from like Cena Molts where they get their composts. That if they look at the kinds of companies I recommend here on Guardline, and that's the quality stuff that they go after, whether they're fertilizing or ampos top dressing or whatever they're doing out there.
Speaker 5: Uh.
Speaker 8: BnB Turf Pros covers the area from about sugar Land and Missouri City on the west end, swings down you know, through Sienna, Iowa Colony, Manville, Fresno, all the way up to Pearland on the east end. That's their service area. And if you want to give them a call seven one three two one two fifty five ninety eight. Excuse me, gave you the wrong number. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. I'm going to give that again. Seven one three two three four fifty five ninety eight. Or just go to the website where you can see the work they do. They got some great video on there. BB Turfpros dot com. BB turf pros dot com. All right, I'm up against a break here. When we come back, I will pull up Steve from Deer Park. Look forward to talking to you. All righty, welcome back to guarden Line. Glad to have you listening in today. You know we're talking about a lot of diseases in the lawn. Oh my gosh, I've never seen so many pictures. In fact, I had to go I had to go cry. I've seen so many pictures of dye in grass. It's just depressed me to the point, seriously, You know, there's different approaches to diseases, and one approach that is very effective is to use products that help that protect the plant microbially and that help the plant microbially to be stronger. You know, there's fun there are microbes in the soil that interact with the plant root and cause that plant to develop more disease resistance to certain kinds of diseases. Did you know that micro grow bioinoculant by Microlife. That's a maroon bag microbe grow bioinoculant, sixty three different beneficial microbe strains in that product. It's a granular you put it out, it goes a long way, like five to ten pounds will cover a thousand square feet. Because you're not fertilized with it, you are basically seeding out, if you will, the microbes all through the yard that then become part of helping that protect that plant. Micro Grow bionoculant can be used at the same time you're fertilizing. Just put out the fertilizer, then put out the bionoculant. But it gives that extra boost to the swall. It gives the plant the best chance it has now like with anything a disease like brown patch. You're not going to have big brown circles and put a fungicide or put micro grow on it and it just all goes away. It's too late. The disease has already killed those grass plates. But it's going to regrow. It's going to put green leaves back on the runners. And when you do, it's good to have the beneficial kinds of things that are there to help the plant. And if you don't have brown patch, and you have in the past, get the micro grow out asap and get it on there so that when the disease tries to attack, you at least have a good supply to make that grass plant surface a little bit more of a inhospitable place for a fungal infection to occur. That's one way you go about it. It's all for microlife. Microlife products are easily available all through widely available in the Houston area. Microlife Fertilizer dot Com is where you go to find out just exactly where you can purchase those. We're going to go now, let's see, we're going to the galleria to talk to Forest. Hey Forrest. Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Hey Good morning, Skiff.
Speaker 26: I had a quick question about safe pesticides or insecticides for my vegetable gardening, and it is slug and snail bait also safe.
Speaker 8: Okay, I'm sorry I didn't quite follow. Are you asking if slug and snail baits are safe?
Speaker 17: Well, I'm asking two questions. Can I put down slugins and they albate in and around my vegetable garden? And then what other pesticides or insecticides could I use to prevent thugs eating my vegetables that they're safe?
Speaker 8: Gotcha? Okay, So for the slug and snow bait, get one that has iron phosphate as the ingredient. It is a bait the slugs eat it that that high dose of iron gives them a terminal case of constipation. Isn't that a nice thought? And so that would be the one I use. Always use fresh bait, and don't put too much out at one time, Put enough out here and there, and then rebait again. You want them to have fresh bait so they get a lethal dose of it when they eat. And as far as other insects, it depends on the insect as to what you do. If it's aphids or spider mites. I would say your best control is going to be insecticidal soap sprays. If it is something that is chewing and eating the leaves, like a caterpillar or a beetle, then I would say you could use something that has name in it or something that has spin no said in it sp I N O S A D. Those are both organic.
Speaker 17: Okay, that's great. I appreciate it very much, thank you.
Speaker 8: Yeah, there's one hundred other insects out there, but those are some of the more common ones that we run across. Oh, by the way, stink bugs. Those learning what their eggs look like and as you're looking at your plants, pulling those off helps a lot. But also a product with pyreethern in it would be helpful for those. Alrighty RCW. RCW has got their sale going on on shrubs, and you know they have such a wide variety. You think my daughter's thinking about putting some shrubs in. They just redid some flower beds at their house and we were just talking about that the other day. And you know, RCW has got a wide range of all kinds of cool shrubs. They got a sale on them, really good deal. Right now, and now's the time to plan them. While you're there, they will provide you with the things you need to go with that trub, for example, a root stimulator, of fertilizers and things like that to help get that shrub off to a good start. Now, they're way more than shrubs, herbs, perennials, annuals, native plants, trees. They grow their own trees up in Plantersville, and so they have trees that want to live here. They're selected for here. They're not going to say something that won't grow here, and they've been grown right and they can even come plant them out, you know, larger container. You're not going to lift that yourself unless you want to put your chiropractors kids through college. But they'll come out and do a good job of planning them. RCW nurseries dot com. Tombole Parkway where it comes into belt Way eight. That's Tombo Parkway Hagby two forty nine, right where it comes into belt Way eight. We're going to go now to Deer Park and talk to Steve. Hello, Steve, Welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 12: Yeah, good morning, Skip. I sent a picture that I was going to get you to identify the tree or shrub for me.
Speaker 8: Okay, let me see. Let me come up here, Steve, I don't have a Steve here? Is that the name on the email Steve.
Speaker 12: Well, Steven would be as as Porter as Porter Porter, I do not have that.
Speaker 8: I don't know why it didn't come through.
Speaker 12: Okay, let's do this.
Speaker 8: Let me let me check one more time, make sure Richard and Rick and all the rest we have covered here, and go back just one more quick check. No, no, I don't I don't see it. I'm gonna put you on hold. Let's see. Yeah, we got another hour left here. Uh a manual. My producer will pick up the phone and check. Make sure you have the right email, and let's try it on and I'll be happy to take a look at it. And you just want an identification on it, correct, right? Yeah.
Speaker 12: I don't think there's anything wrong with it right now or anything, but what I could ask you one other question about a plumeria real quick. We have a plumeria that we pull it up every year for the winter and then replant it in the spring, and it makes flowers only on one branch it makes. It's got multiple branches, but only one of them makes flowers. Is there anything I can do to spread the flowers out?
Speaker 8: Well, that's strange. I don't know what would cause that. A plumeria with one branch balloons only. I don't know. We got any Plumerius Society people out there that know about this situation. That's a new one on me. I haven't run across before. I assume all the areas are getting the same amount of sunlight and everything.
Speaker 12: Yeah, yeah, and they all grew gross, please all over, but just the one branch gross flowers.
Speaker 8: Very curious. I'll look into that. If I find anything, I'll say it on the air. But maybe someone from Plumerius Society. They they even breathe plumerias and they may be at ware something. I'm not so all right, all right, well, thank you, thank you for the call. All right, just hang on. It may take him just a little bit because he's got the top of the hour news to do, but I'm put your on hold and we'll be right back. Well, just a quick reminder, I'm going to be at wild Bird's Ace giving away lots of Nelson fertilizer products that from twelve to two today in Kingwood, Kingwood Drive.
Speaker 1: Welcome to kg R h guarded line with Cap Richard, so.
Speaker 2: Just watch him as.
Speaker 8: So many good things.
Speaker 24: Not a sign.
Speaker 8: Hey, welcome back. Good to be back with you guys. Guess what we're entering our last hour of the day, nine to ten am. We're here every Saturday and Sunday from six am to ten am. For those of you just tuning in for the first time. Tell your friends. The more the merrier, love to have them listening in. At noon today, I will be out at wild Birds in Kingwood. Wile ago I said wild Birds Ace. I don't think there's an Ace hardware store called Wilbirds. The Ace hardware stores in Kingwood. Some goodwoods, but Wildbirds Wildbirds in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive right behind Torchy Stockos and I'm going to be given away a lot of Nelsen fertilizer. We got these little jars. They are just.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 8: For example, I got color Star, I got Rose, I've got vegetable garden, and I've got Genesis the transplant mix, which I love that one. I even have some small packets of the Genesis too, But four different sizes, four different kinds of jars. I have so many of them. If you show up at Wildbirds, I bet you get one. I mean, I don't think I'll run out, So come on, let's.
Speaker 20: Go for it.
Speaker 8: Nelson provided us a lot of their quality mixes to get in people's hands. And while we're out there, bring me your questions, bring me your samples, your diseases, your insect infestations, your plan identifications. I feel like the statue of liberty. You're tired, you're weary, you're huddled masses yearning to breathe free. I think something like that. Anyway, I'll be the statue of liberty for plants today. Bring me some things, less know some let's talk about them, let's identify them, let's help you have success. Can't wait to see you out there. All right, we're going to go straight back here. We were talking a little bit earlier with Steve and deer Park. Hey, Steve, what you sent me a picture of is called Chinese or Japanese privet. It is Lagustrum japonicum and it is a very invasive plant. Those little berries get eaten by birds. They haul them around and poop them out, and these come up in the woods. It's one of the more difficult invasive plants that the southeastern United States is struggling.
Speaker 3: With right now.
Speaker 12: Oh well, I hate to chop it down. Yeah, okay, well we did you know what it is?
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's what it is, and that's the berries. And if you look around you probably see it somewhere around there, because you know, of course birds can fly a long way. But that is lagustrum Japonicum Japanese privot.
Speaker 12: Well the one year this we had was loaded with berries and we must have had a million little bitty birds on it and they just ate them all up in a few days. But anyway, I appreciate the identification.
Speaker 8: Thank you, you bet, you bet. Thanks for hanging around. Good luck with that, take care, thank you. Ready here, we're going to now head to Linda and Dickinson. Hello, Linda, I think you sent me some pictures too.
Speaker 7: Is that right right about the ground?
Speaker 8: Okay?
Speaker 3: Was this?
Speaker 8: Let me make sure I got yes, I replied by email. That is brown patch. Uh, brown patch is causing those yellowing spots, and uh the way to prevent it is with eagle turf funge aside by nitrophiles Eagle turf fund.
Speaker 7: But I put that down in October do you want me to put I put it down in October.
Speaker 8: Here's the deal. Yeah, here's the deal. It works, but you got to put it down, you got to water it in, and then you got to do that before the infection. But what I see in the picture is a lot of infection. So there are very few areas in that yard other than way out by those trees where it hasn't already hit. So right, you know, you have to just decide is it worth to protect a little bit of what's left to put it down again or not. But if you get it down ahead of time, watered in real good, and the plant takes it up, then when the brown patch hits it, it tries to infect. Put the eagles there. At this stage, like I said, you're only protecting the parts that haven't gotten it yet, and all of it will green back up in the spring as it warms up.
Speaker 7: Okay, thank you very much. I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: All right, it's already be the bear of bad news today. Take care, all right, Bobby, Yeah, we you know I got I just use this opportunity to say, I got these schedules up there, and these schedules are on my website at gardening with Skip dot com Gardening with Skip dot com. They are free. One of them is the lawn care schedule, mowing, watering, fertilizing, adding mineral supplement, micro nutrient supplements, doing aeration. All of that is on the schedule. The other schedule is the lawn pest, disease and weed management schedule. So think of it this way. The first schedule is how to grow on the second schedule is how to deal with things that are after your lawn or that are causing problems in the lawn. Both of them go from January to December. There's multiple colors in them that make them real easy to follow. Like on the on the disease schedule, you know, I said I had the insect disease and schedule. On that schedule, if you look, there's a road that's yellow for insects, there's a road that's brown for diseases, and then there's two rows that are green for weeds because weats are green. And if you follow that color to the bottom, it tells you exactly your control options that you would use there. It makes it really really easy. But I'm telling you, folks, timing is everything.
Speaker 5: You know.
Speaker 8: I over and over again on guarden Line, I talk about, Hey, it's time to do this or it's time to do that. Fall is the best planning season of the year. You can plant twelve months out of the year here in Houston, but fall is the best. So the longer you wait, the closer are you are to summer, and the longer it takes. By the way, that nitrofas Eagle Turf Fungicide is one of the three parts of their three step system. That would include the Eagle Turf fungicide. That would include the nitroposs barricade that prevents weed seeds from getting started, makes a barricade over the surface of the soul they can't come through. Second or third, the Nitrofoss Fall Special. That's a winner riser. Now you're going to find Nitrofoss products. It in Channel Forest and Richmond. You're going to find it at Ace Hardware, a Memorial Drive. You're going to find it at Gym's hardbur Montgomery and Stanton shopping Center for those of you down there in the Alvin area. All part of Nitrofoss is one two three easy system. Don't delay. With every delay the problems increase. Alrighty, I think we are looking at up time for another break boy. Time is flying this morning, as it usually does. Built in sugar Land, you will be our very first up and when we come back from break, I just want to remind you today Kingwood wild Birds Unlimited on Kingwood Drive, behind torches Tacos. Come on and see me, bring me samples and things you want to talk about. I'd love to meet you. Bring your camera phone so we can take a picture together. And I want you to see this swell bird store. It is really cool. I promise you that, but I got to warn you birding is addictive. I've never considered myself a birder until I started getting some things from wild birds and started gathering them to the backyard and oh my gosh, I don't know where they were. It was where I was before and not having birds because I so enjoy them. Now just another aspect of gardening. We'll be right back. Hey, welcome back to your guarden line. Welcome back. We're going to jump right in things again. Hey, uh, you've heard me talk about Jorges Hidden gardens down in Alvin, Texas. For those of you down in the Greater Alvin area unless I Greater Avenue, what I'm talking about is, you know, like Santa fe Dickinson, Algoa, Arcadia, Alt Loma, alb of course Alvin h what I leave, Oh, Hillcrest is down in that area too. This is your hometown garden center. Jorges Hidden Gardens Now. Jorge has got an excellent selection of all kinds of plans, so I know right now he has a really good selection of roses, and he always has a good selection of fruit trees, and he's got plenty of those as well as well as other shrubs and trees. And then of course the plants of the season are there at Horas Hidden Gardens.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 8: Jory also carries the three sixty degree Tree Stabilizer, the best product for when you plant a new tree, for staking that tree and holding the tree while allowing movement on the tree. That's very important. Hoy carries us for example, his fall hours. He's closed on Monday, but he's opened today and tomorrow from eight am to four pm, Saturday and Sunday, and then Tuesday through Friday from nine to three Jorge'es Hidden Gardens. He's on Elizabeth Street in Alvin, just south of Highway sixth There go check him out. He's got some really really cool stuff around We're going to go back to the phones now and head to Sugarland to talk to Bill.
Speaker 11: Hello Bill, Hello, Skip, how are you serving?
Speaker 8: I have two questions?
Speaker 15: Could I have two questions?
Speaker 27: My first is, we have some Japanese blueberry trees in the back. They're about twelve foot high, provide a privacy backdrop. I keep them pretty trimmed into hedge. They're pretty unwieldy right now. I need to be trimmed. My question is can I do that now in November or is that something I should wait till, you know, February or so to do?
Speaker 6: You know?
Speaker 8: A good, A good, really hard freeze can can knock Japanese blueberry back, and anytime you prune it stimulates tender new growth, which would be a disaster with a hard freeze coming in. I would wait until we get past the freezes this winter and do the.
Speaker 27: Pruning you need to do then, okay, super. And my second question is we have lantana kind of the same way. Is that prune now or just wait wait it out through the winter and oleanders too.
Speaker 8: I would I would let the land, let the lantana go, get a good free on it, kind of kill it back, and then cut it off just a few inches above the ground and it will it will come back out as a fresh new bush next spring. So a lot of people wait until midwinter to prune the lantana just because you know how it is down here. I mean, we could get almost eighty degrees for a week and everything.
Speaker 9: Start growing right right, and oleanders same thing, yeah, leander, just probably wait until the end of the winter time to cut those back.
Speaker 8: There's not a particular pruning system for leanders. You can cheer them back a little, but I like the natural form. So taking in tarcanes out back at the base of the bushes is another option for those just what you want to look at, but get past the freezes before you do that.
Speaker 27: Well, yeah, just give me a lot of extra time today, thank you, sir.
Speaker 20: I did.
Speaker 8: I did. Drive to Kingwood and I'll see you there. It's not far. I mean it's just on the opposite end of hereon Bibill, right, thank you, all right, that's right. Ciena Molts is the place for the brown stuff that sets the foundation for all success in a garden. Cianna Malts south of Houston. They are in that area of Pomona and Fresno and manfol and First Colony and Pearland and oh gosh, Sandy Point our Cola, Iowa colony. That they cover that whole area down there, and they deliver within about twenty miles for a delivery fee. But they are really well known for their premium hardwood bought mulches in bulk and their premium soils and soil blends and composts. So when you go there, do you want native hardwood malts, doubble ground molts, two inch screen malts. Do you want a nice beautiful chocolate colored malts, not dyed, natural smells amazing? Do you want to buy Landscaper's Pride black velvet for example? They carry that down there. They have rose soils, they organic composts, they've got you know, the veggiean urbics that heirloom soils produces, and they carry the fertilizers that I talk about on garden Line that are part of the brown stuff, part of the soil, part of making the foundation perfect. So your plants are just happy and it makes it look like you got a green thumb because you informed your thumb by taking care of the soil first, brown stuff before green stuff Microlife Asamite, Nelson, turf Star, Heirloom Soils, nitrofoss Landscapers, Pride, Nelson, plant Food, Medina. All of this stuff to set the foundation is there at Siena Maltch near Highway six and two eighty eight. They're on FM five twenty one. They're open today till two, closed on Sundays Monday through Friday, seven thirty to five. We're going to head now to Kyle in Boston. Wor'st Boston, Kyle.
Speaker 28: Sorry, it must have sounded like Boston. Austin the Republic of Austin, Central Texas.
Speaker 8: Oh, the People's Republic of Okay, I got you. I used to live there.
Speaker 20: I know.
Speaker 28: Actually I'm on the west side near Dripping Springs. I only claim Austin who I can get mailed.
Speaker 8: You know, there's bumper stickers in Austin. Hey, Kyle, there's bumper stickers in Austin that say keep Austin weird. I promise you that is the most unnecessary campaign. They are in no danger of not being weird. But let's quit having fun with Austin and let's get to your question.
Speaker 11: There we go.
Speaker 28: Yeah, so I brown stuff before green stuff.
Speaker 8: I keep hearing that.
Speaker 28: Over the past few weeks, I listened to you regularly on Saturdays as I go in to work out and come back home. I've got a little round trip, and we live on a ten acre piece of property that's about eight acres of really thick ash juniper woods, thick like.
Speaker 3: Machete cut through the woods, thick.
Speaker 28: There are some trails cut through the woods, and we manage those those trails as trees fallen, et cetera. But the couple of acres around our actual house is a just mixture of random weaves and flowers and grasses and whatever has come along over the years. I don't really pay a lot of attention to treating or taking care of the nutrient base of that particular couple of acres. I mow it maybe five six times a year as it gets tall in certain areas.
Speaker 3: But as I'm hearing more.
Speaker 28: Brown stuff before green stuff, my question to you is what would be best for the total ecology of our property in treating either nutrient based or pesticide based, or nothing at all as I'm doing and just letting nature.
Speaker 8: Take its course. You know, in an area that big out there, I don't see a need to go out and try to fertilize and add compost in the soil and things just in uneral. Now, if you wanted to put a vegetable garden or an herb garden, or flower beds in or shrub beeds or things, yes, then we would be bringing in decomposed organic matter, compost, mixing it in with the soil. Maybe bringing in a bed mix that already has a mixture of things and putting it on the soil. Most of your saws out that way, or kind of a clay a black clay type soil. But there's some variation, yes, sure, but just in a kind of I'll just say a wildscape kind of area. Yeah, don't waste your time and money on fertilizing unless you're trying to grow grass, pasture, grass for cattle or some other thing.
Speaker 28: Okay, My last part of the question would be, there is a particular area we are dedicating toward planting blue bonnets by seating or actually have done that in the past couple of weeks.
Speaker 8: Since we've read up.
Speaker 3: This is the time of year to do it, not expecting blue it is for.
Speaker 11: The next year and a half.
Speaker 8: What cod or should we be doing in that particular.
Speaker 28: Area over this next year and a half to keep it healthy so we do get a good bloom and a good taking of the seeding.
Speaker 8: Yeah, you should have blooms in the spring, at least a few. Some blue bonnet seed has been scarified, meaning they break the coat down a little bit so it sprouts better. Others isn't scarified. And you may get some seeds up this year and some may not come up till next fall. But whichever way, no fertilizer for the blue bonnets. Their lagoons, they make their own nitrogen. The main thing you need for them is for them not to be shaded out by other plants. So if you have grasses, mowing them down really really low, getting all that debris off the surface, because the mode grass becomes a mulch on the surface. And the reason we molt is so weed seeds don't come up. So if you want your blue bonnets to establish, they need sunlight. So whatever it takes to make sure sunlight hits the soil where you planted your blue bonnets, that would be recommended. Okay, great, well, good advice. I appreciate. I know.
Speaker 28: Wildscaping is not necessarily a common topic. So I just was wondering what would be best for the general ecology the plants as well as the deer, the rabbits and the whatever, if I should be treating or just leaving it alone, doing what I'm doing, bowing four or five six times a year and letting it be.
Speaker 8: Yeah, that's probably it. And now that you're over there, have you been to the Wallflower Center yet? In southeastern or south Austin.
Speaker 3: That's actually know what happened, but my wife has all.
Speaker 8: Right, well, go there. They've got a lot of advice. Their website is excellent for native plants, and they can kind of help you create the kind of wildscape that you're looking at. And you've also got let's see you are you're in cott in what part of Austin? Did you say you're west southwest dripping springs? Oh my gosh, Okay, Well, the Natural Gardener is the best garden center in that town, and they're they're out on the southwest side of town. Go there, good advice, they have native plans, they've got all kinds of good stuff there. Spend some time there with them and they'll hope you get off to a good start too.
Speaker 3: Brady advice. Rady.
Speaker 8: Thank you for appreciate the time, sir. All right, tell them tell them Skip said Hi. Thanks for being a listener out there. Tell your neighbors listen, Yes, sir, good time A right bye bye, m all right, Well we're coming up on another bright here we go. Hey, I wanted to tell you about Nelson's carbo Load. Carbo Load is a product that contains both the nutrient blend you need high potassium, low nitrogen for going into fall for your lawn, but it also has a pre emergent herbicide in it. So you put carbolod down, you watered in, and you've done both. You've done pre emergent weed control and you've done fertilizing. From the folks at Nelson. It's part of their turf Star line of quality products. And for those of you who would like to try out some Nelson products, I'm going to have a bunch of jars of Nelson fertilizer, the Genesis transplant mix of rose oil, the color Star perhaps the most famous one over the years, and their vegetable garden mix, and I'll be given away out in Kingwood, So anyone out in that direction come by, say hi. I got so much. I bet, I bet, I don't run out, but don't delay. I'll be there from twelve until two. Look forward to seeing you, seeing you out there. We are up against a break. I will be right back with your questions. Give us a call seven one three two one two KTRH. Hey, welcome back to Garden Line. Good to have you with us today. You know, whenever our clay soil is predominant here in the Greater Houston area, whenever they get wet, they swell, Whenever they get dry, they shrink. Did you know that there's that movement. I've got a broken water line beside my house and I have not dug there, and it's just the fact that the oil moved and actually broke physically broke that water line. I've got to go fix it now.
Speaker 20: Yay.
Speaker 8: Anyway, It also moves and messes with your sidewalks and your driveways and your home foundations. Saw movement is so powerful it can crack a home slab. Well, fix my slab foundation repair. Ty Strickland's the owner, been doing that for twenty three years. He knows what he's doing. They can come out take a look and see what may or may not be needed, and they don't jump the gun. They don't be Oh, I see a little crack somewhere, So we got to do all this and now they're not that way. They will look at it and they will tell you whether it needs work or not, and what you might do, what your options are, and how to do it right. When Tide does work, there's three things that happen. Number One, he shows up on time. Wow, don't you wish all your service people showed up on time? Number Two, he prices it fair. Don't you wish all your service people did that? And he fixes it right. Isn't that all we're asking for is fix it right?
Speaker 24: Right?
Speaker 3: Well?
Speaker 8: Ti is a native Estonian, fifth generation Texan, and I'm telling you he knows how to handle this. So if you got cracks in your brick, cracks in your sheet rock, if your sidewalk is heaving, or whatever, call Tie two eight one two fy five forty nine forty nine two eight one two five five forty nine forty nine. Tell him you're a garden line listener. Pre estimates for gardenline listeners, or go to the website fixmyslab dot com Fix myslab dot com. Add no hesitation knowing the tie is going to treat you right, and you will be You will be happy with the service and the work quality that you get from fix my slab. We're gonna head out now to Katie and talk to Donnie. Hello, Donnie, welcome to garden Line.
Speaker 10: Hey this is Johnny.
Speaker 8: But that's okay, Oh Johnny, okay, all right, we'll talk to Johnny.
Speaker 10: The Medina products that you recommend and I use the Medina has to Grow long food starting this spring and summer, and it had good, good results with it. Is there any benefit that say in instructions to keep using it during the non growing cool season or just wait till spring to start using it again.
Speaker 8: The has to grow six twelve six. Is that the one that you have?
Speaker 12: Yes?
Speaker 8: Yes, yeah, so.
Speaker 11: That you could use, Oh yeah.
Speaker 8: You can use that one. The thing is, you're not trying to fertilize your plants and make them grow, but you're you're if you did any kind of planting, the hash to grow six twelve six would be good for helping as they during the cool season. Even though the top may not be growing, the roots are growing and it helps a plant get established. It's the has to grow plant six twelve six. Now, you know I wouldn't. I wouldn't use their lawn products in the winter.
Speaker 10: You know.
Speaker 8: I like their super Grow plus I like their has to Grow lawn. Those are great products. But let's wait until spring those But the the has to grow six twelve six, has to grow plant six twelve six. That would be a good one to use at this time. The humic acids humde humic acid liquid product would be a good one because that is helping the soil structure quality. So it's always a good time to be doing that. It's not meting plants grow, it's fixing the soil soap plants will grow.
Speaker 12: Okay, that's what I need to know. I appreciate it.
Speaker 8: You bet, Johnny, thank you, thanks a lot. I appreciate it the goal. You take care hey our phone number seven one three two one two fifty eight seventy four seven one three two one two five eight seven four. I was visiting with Luis from Airlym Soils a little bit earlier this week, uh, and they got some new product packaging I think is really good. It really looks just excellent. Looking forward to seeing all that come out. I want to remind you that they are out at the Warren's Rock and mult location, which is in Porter, Texas. That's where you can get rocks and soils and mulches and all kinds of things from heirloom soils. It's on fifty nine Access Road right up there in Porter. They're having a one cubic yard sack of either the leaf mold compost or the veggie an herb mix for one twenty nine and you keep the sack. I actually in another area of way outside of the Houston area, we recently had picked up some materials from a place that had big supersacks and I paid sixty bucks a sack for the sacks. For crying out loud, well, you can't beat those. I mean one cubic yard sack of leaf moll compost or veggie herb mix. It's they just bring it and set it right there in your driveway. It is so convenient. I appreciated the one I got. I got some I don't decomposed grantite. I think in one of mine. It is so easy to shovel and scoop and move around. You'll have a mess in your driveway. One hundred and twenty nine and you keep the sack itself, so you need to take advantage of that leaf more compost. Super for top dressing your lawn, Super for mixing into your flower beds. Super for mixing. I will eve in you know, as my pot containers, you know, container pots of flowers and vegetables and all kinds of things. I will mix a little leaf more compost into the mix as it starts to settle down in there. I'll just mix a little fresh on kind of before our replant something in those pots. It works really well for that. They also have a new product, Premium lawn Mix, Premium Lawn medd brand new it is. It is not made with topsail, that's made with Mason sand, compost and bed mix. It's really good for preparing for sod. Listen, I've seen a lot of pictures of dead sod this year, and somebody's going to be doing some replanning. Get their Premium lawn mix. It's seventy four dollars per sack. That is really really a good price. Get that and there you go. I mean you are right in business, spreading it out, leveling that area out, getting the soil ready for sad. They also have in qbcard sacks the region or mix and leafold. As I mentioned, they also have cedar malts, They've got hardwood molts, they got pine bark. They have beautiful black star gravel that is just gorgeously ornamental, and the black and the rainbow gravel too, little pebbles that come in different colors. It's really really attractive, all from mariloom soil. So here's what you need to do. You need to give them a call two eight one three five four nineteen fifty. That's calling out to the porter location two eight one three five four nineteen fifty. Or go online to rockinmultch dot com slash delivery. I'll say that again, Rock the Letter Mulch dot com slash delivery. Take advantage of this. This this is an awesome, awesome sale. All right, I believe it's time for me to quit talking. Uh, And I'm gonna take my last break of the day and I'll be right back with your calls. Seven one three two one two KTRH. Welcome back to Guardline. Glad to have you with us, Appreciate you listening in today.
Speaker 20: Uh.
Speaker 8: I don't know if you've ever been out to Moss Nursery. Out in Seabrook, those of you out in that region, of course you've been. I mean, that is the most famous nursery in that area. It's been around a very long time. And when you go to Moss, you are gonna wander through eight acres. Just think of it this way, eight acres of paradise. I mean, plants and yard art and things you would never expect to see. I mean it really Moss Nursery just it's just fun. It's fun to go to and you're gonna find everything you need there. I mean, like right now, they got all the cool season color in plenty of pansies and biolas, and on and on and on down the line their house plant greenhouse plan to spend some time, because whether you're into succulence or foliage or indoor flowering plants, they have it all right there. Massive pottery selection right now, they got a bunch of those. If you've seen the containers, it looks like a face. It's almost like a statue, you know, of some Greek goddess statue, but the head is like cut off above the eyes and there it's hollow and you can plan in it. It's a planner, but it looks like a face, so you want to put a vine in there so it can drape over and look like hair. Well anyway, that is another shipment that they just got in from that and most nursery, no matter what you need, they've got it. Good service, knowledgeable people. Every time I've gone there, I met somebody that has impressed me with their knowledge. You know, they harre master gardeners. For example. There are a number of very very knowledgeable master gardener's working and then a lot of folks that have been in the gardening business for a long time and they know it all they do. Moss Nursery on Toddville Road in Seabrook. The website Moss m aas Nursery dot com m aa S Nursery dot com. By the way, when you're there, African violet, get you one they you know, African violets used to be really popular. Everybody had them. They're easy to propagate, they're easy to grow if you give them some simple things they want, uh, And most nursery's got a good little selection of them for you there. I'm gonna head out now to Calvin and talk to Craig. Craig, where's Calvin.
Speaker 3: No, Alvin, Texas.
Speaker 8: Oh Alvin, Okay, got you? Got you all right? How can I help?
Speaker 20: Okay, I'm in a rental property. I was able to get the main portion of the front yard back to health, to a healthy lawn, but I've got that three foot section that's between the sidewalk and the street, and it's just pretty much covered up in this that nasty weed that we've always had, the uh one with a great big base on it. But anyhow, I've got some san augustine in there, but I'm kind of a weed and feed it and everything else like that. But I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of that nasty weed and get that san augustine to take over.
Speaker 8: Then I need to know what weed it is to give you the best solution.
Speaker 20: It's it's that uh, it's that field I've been in the Houston area my whole life. Sorry, but it's that that field weed that's got this really dense base and uh, you know, it just springs up, you know, within a couple of days every time you cut it. But it's just that nasty old.
Speaker 8: N Let's do this. Why don't you take some pictures of it?
Speaker 20: Uh?
Speaker 8: From a somewhat of a distance and then uproll close, make sure it's in sharp focus, and email it to me. And that way I can know that when I suggest something, I'm giving you the stuff that's going to work best on that weed. That way we're all on the same page. I can put you on hold my producer Emmanuel, pick up the phone. He will give you my email address. Send that to me. It probably won't require you calling back in this case and through where we talk, but I'll send you some suggestions for it. But I just need to know what it is, so I don't mislead you, send you out wasting your time and money. Okay, okay, not a problem. Thank you so much, you bet, Craig. You just hang on all right. We're going to go to Southwest Houston now and talk to Jesse. Hello Jesse, Yeah, this good morning everybody.
Speaker 29: Thanks for taking the call. I had a question about this most that was placed around the base of the of the tree. It's probably like two foot round, and.
Speaker 15: I don't know my neighbors did this?
Speaker 29: My friends, you know, So I'll just call them because that particular mold that they place on there, it looked okay, but after a month and a half or something like that, it started developing.
Speaker 1: Like a white mold on it on the top, not all of it, but in.
Speaker 29: Certain sections.
Speaker 3: Underneath.
Speaker 29: It also was underneath there some kind of a bacterial So I just want to what costs?
Speaker 8: Okay, Well, you know, malt is dead organic matter and dead organic matter rots and the primary thing that causes it to decompose is fungi. Fungi.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 8: You know, you go in the forest and you find a fallen log and it's got these little shelf fungi sticking out from it, and you break the log open. It's got white strands all through the wood. And that's just part of nature making more quality soil. And so I wouldn't worry about it on the malts. That is what you're describing as not a disease of any plants. If you don't like the look of it, you can take a raak and kind of start around a little bit. But bottom line is it's gonna go away. These are these are very seasonal, very seasonal. You know, they crop up typically we get we hit fall, we get a coal front, we get some rain, and oh my gosh, there's toadstools popping up.
Speaker 3: In the yard.
Speaker 8: There's stuff that looks like the dog threw up, and the flower beds and there's just every kind of fungi you can image. But the bottom lizer. They're good things. They're good things to not worry about. Yeah.
Speaker 11: Well that's good news. That's good. That's good.
Speaker 8: Yeah. Just make sure around those trees you don't pile the mulch up against the trunk. Uh. Nature doesn't do that. You want. You want to pull the multch back away from the base of the trunk so you can see the broadening, flared out base of the trunk. Uh, and then put the meulch, you know, on out far as you The further you put mulch out, the happier the tree will be. Trees hate grass, hate weeds. They like to drop organic matter called leaves on the ground in the forest and just make rich or soiled year by year.
Speaker 19: All right, Well, think it's good, a good day.
Speaker 8: All right, Thanks for the call, you bet, I appreciate that. Jesse, thank you very much for that call.
Speaker 20: Uh.
Speaker 8: I want to talk about a couple of things here as we as we head out today.
Speaker 10: UH.
Speaker 8: First of all, just just a quick reminder again, I will be at wallber birds unlimited in Kingwood on Kingwood Drive, behind torches tacos, and I'm gonna be there from twelve to two answering your gardening questions. So I didn't get a chance to call in today, Well, take a picture of things, bring them to me. Let's take a look at them. Maybe you got an area in the garden that you would like to do something, but you just don't. What would be a good plant for right there? What would I suggest? I'll give you some ideas for that. Maybe you have a sample of a weed or a bug, or a disease or something like that. Put it in a bag, bring it to me. I get so many weeds I could probably create a multipile a mile deep. And all the weeds people bring to these appearances because everybody's got weed problems. That's okay. Wherever sunlight hits the soiled nature plants a weed, which, by the way, is a tip for weed control. You know, I talk a lot about products to put down to prevent wheat seeds from germinating a products to put down to kill existing weeds. But you know the best first step and all weed control isn't the sunlight hit the soil. That's important. And so if you can grow a denser lawn that keeps sunlight from hitting the soil. If you do the compost hop dressing, that helps a little bit in keeping sunlight from hitting the soil. If you got a vegetable garden and you have plowed things up and you're gonna plan a little bit later, or maybe you're gonna plant, now, get mulch on all the other soil areas so that sunlight doesn't hit the soil and you cut out on your weed problems that way. That's just a simple tip for doing that sort of thing. We try to take the approach that cultural practices are the best approach to all plant problems. Now, there's gonna be time where dense turf still gets weeds. Dollar weed will grow in dense turf, Virginia button weed will go in dense turf. Slender aster will grow in dense turf. But those are the exceptions. Most weed seed problems. We choke them out by not letting the sunlight reach the soil. Wherever sunlight hits the soil, nature plants. A weed fall is the best season for planting. I hope that you will get out there and do some soil prep brown stuff before green stuff. It is well worth your time and money to prepare the soil I've got. I have two plants and containers that have been sitting in front of my house waiting for me to get to them because I've been busy with other things. But I'm not putting them in the ground until the bed where they're going has been prepared. I'm ready to go out the bags of quality soil products sitting right there on the bed ready to be mixed in. Those plants aren't going to the ground until the soil is prepared. Don't PLoP a plant into an unprepared plot, Peter Piper, Don't PLoP a plant into an unprepared plot. I need to get better at saying that. Get the soil right, get the foundation right. It's where it all begins. Brown stuff before green stuff. That's compost, that is expanded shale for heavy clay. Soil improvement that is fertilizer nutrients, so the soiled bank account is stocked up and ready to go to support your plant. I'm telling you those tips for success right there. Look at your thumb. Isn't it already greener than it was? Before I started saying all that. I'm telling you you inform that thumb and you can have success. And that is a key tip for success with that. So come on and see me Kingwood wild Birds Unlimited. I want to show you on that store seeds, some of these feeds that they have bird seeds that they have rather I've got. In fact, I'm going to be picking some up today myself. I'm in a low supply on some of the stuff that I need, darn birds to state at all, But the squirrels didn't. I got that squirrel excluding feeder from wild Birds Unlimited, and boy does it ever work. Hey, it's been a good day. Look forward to talking to you again tomorrow. In the meantime, come on out to Kingwood