Speaker 1: This podcast is intended for mature audiences. Listener discretion is advised.
Speaker 2: A bizarre case is murder, sexual abuse and alleged law enforcement misconduct is unfolding here, and it's questioned the innocence of children, a police officer, and a legal system. Few people question the Kerr children's claims of sexual abuse, but it's the stories of devil worshiping and Satanic sacrifice that have some wondering if the children may have been led or prompted into saying those things by adults. You don't believe there's in satanic rituals.
Speaker 3: Nobody nobody found any kind of evidence to show that they would.
Speaker 4: If they have, they're not making it public.
Speaker 2: For the past few years, Sergeant James Brown has been the only investigator on the Wilson Kate. It was a job he volunteered for. Now he's a suspect in her disappearance.
Speaker 1: So our last episode was all about Raymond Smith, the little boy who falsely accused his mom and stepdad of being in a satanic cult of murdering Kelly Wilson, the teenager who vanished on January fifth, nineteen ninety two, from the town square in Gilmour two years after Kelly disappeared, just to quickly recap, Special Prosecutor Scott Leefford and his pair of investigators, Steve Baggs and Brooks Flagg convinced a grand jury to indict eight people for the kidnapping, rape, and murder of Kelly. The suspects included Gilmert police sergeant James York Brown, and Raymond's parents Don and Tammy. They were facing death penalty offenses. But there were big problems with Leefford's case. Here's Kelly's mom, Kathy on the local news.
Speaker 5: I feel like you'll have to prove it in order for us the family to believe, to believe that he's going to have to prove it. Beyond shadow of dot, this is all happened, and it's the people are involved with Kelly's disappearance, and artist got to maintain objectivity and they're going to have to have lord and circumstance argents and they haven't shown missed anything.
Speaker 1: Special Prosecutor Scott Lyfford's case against Sergeant Brown and its co defendants. Most of the members of the Kerr family hinged on the witness statements of Raymond and Connie Martin the common law wife of one of the Kerr brothers, with a little help from Connie's sister in law Wanda, if Scott Lyfford had the goods, though he was keeping the details to himself.
Speaker 6: I really am not comfortable talking about the evidence at this point, and Connie Martin's not being charged because she's cooperating with it.
Speaker 1: Another star witness for the Lifer team had already recanted Wanda's brother, Lucas.
Speaker 2: A new set back to Lyford's case is Lucas Gear, a Kerr family uncle. Gear is currently serving time in prison on child molestation charges. In the Search War, Gear is listed as a coroborating witness to the children's accounts of Satanic rituals and human sacris. He passed a polygraph test, but Nawgere says he lied.
Speaker 6: Thank him, kept nay.
Speaker 7: They wanted something.
Speaker 8: They wounded me to go along with them.
Speaker 2: Oh, they'd lead me home, so I had to lead them on to enter.
Speaker 1: Shane Phelps, Assistant Attorney General for the State of Texas.
Speaker 9: Now the Texas Attorney General's Office has stepped in. Assistant Attorney's General Shane Phelps and Lisa Turner are conducting the investigation and working with the grand jury.
Speaker 1: Reviewing the case files, Shane Phelps and his assistant prosecutor, Lisa Tanner knew what they had to do. Shane had to drop the charges and clear Sergeant Brown's name. By this time, Sergeant Brown had already been released after spending six days in the county jail. To cover his bond, Sergeant Brown's dad put up the family farm as surety, but the city council had already voted to suspend Sergeant Brown from the police department. No pay, no job. Sergeant Brown was so broke he put his own mobile home and pickup truck on the market. As for the curs and Raymond's parents, his mom Tammy and stepdad Dawn, they had it even worse. They were still behind bars.
Speaker 10: I'll never forget being in jail and going into the courtroom to be arrain.
Speaker 1: That's Tammy turned myself in.
Speaker 10: I mean, I'll just never forget how shocked I was, like, what in the hell is going on? You know, I mean it was just crazy. And that was the first time you see us coming out in the orange suits.
Speaker 11: That was what was on my.
Speaker 10: Mind as I'd be like, I cannot believe that that just happened. You just feel like you're in a movie, you know what I mean. It's just feel like it's real. You just can't believe. And all I kept thinking is these are smart, intelligent people, you know, because like I said, I had all trust in our government, I had all trust in our system, police officers, and do the right thing, do what they say. They're gonna figure this all out. They're smart, educated people. Come on, it just kept getting stupider worse. I mean, they had like when they would interrogate me, they would have pictures of skulls on the table, you know, trying to convince me that I had had these babies and sacrificed them to the devil.
Speaker 1: And I was just like, what in the.
Speaker 6: Heck is going on here?
Speaker 10: My lawyer's sitting there going now, Tammy, They're gonna give you a deal and give you your kids back in six months if you just tell them what happened. And I said, Mike, I don't even know what all the other girls are saying.
Speaker 6: If I did want to take the deal.
Speaker 10: And he sat there and told me he's up there and told me what the other girls were and I'm like, I am praying and asking God out of this crap. I ain't lying on the one person, and so don't ask me again to do that. And because my ownlawyer tried to get me to lie and say stuff, this is bull crap. When your own lawyer is telling you to confess, confess on dawn and lie on dawn. And since I'm so much younger, you know, I'm going to get off and then we'll fly around and do a book deal.
Speaker 6: And this is my lawyer.
Speaker 10: Telling me this crap. I'm like, jeez, I can't trust anybody literally.
Speaker 12: Any of this that they alleged actually happened.
Speaker 10: Absolutely none. Absolutely. I have not ever met Kelly Wilson, not once. I've never molested my children.
Speaker 1: When she was first locked up, Tammy didn't believe her son Raymond would ever accuse her of such horrible crimes.
Speaker 10: After he got in foster care. My lawyer at the time, the good one. I can't even think away, he said Tammy. Unfortunately, he said, Raymon is a smart kid and he will be their star witness. And I went, no, Raman is a kurch young boy.
Speaker 13: He will not.
Speaker 10: Lie, Timmy, Yes he will.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 10: That was my lawyer telling me.
Speaker 13: He was, you know, he's being awestome with Timmy.
Speaker 10: They're gonna convert him or whatever because he's smart, and they're gonna make him their star witness. And I be darned if he wasn't right. I remember one time being in jail and one of the guys has books Brooks flag. They let him come in. Myself, my one man self, myself, and he touches my hand and he goes, how does it feel to know you're never gonna know the touch of a man? And I just thought, And then he looks up at my wall, and you know, in jail, you take toothpaste and you stick your pictures on the wall. And he goes, I see you're getting used to your new home. You're going to have a good married Christmas hunchin and he walks out. I mean, I just couldn't believe that people were really like that. That's how innocent and naive I was. One time I was brought into this room and I don't never forget all these big men, big men, and there was probably like seven or eight of them, and they set me down. They're all looking at me like me, mugging me. And they turned on this TV and they go, we want you to watch this, and I sit down and there's my little Raymond. His head's all shaved completely. He's sitting in a chair and Anne Gore is on her knees in front of him, asking him questions did your mama? And he's putting his hands in his mouth and he's mumbling, and she says, did your mama do that? And you can tell she's like suggests of questioning him over and over and over, and them guys are just looking at me like you are sick. You ought to be it, you know. I'm just sitting there crying and thinking, what is this? What what are they doing to my baby? You know, that's when I realized my kids are not safe where they're at. You know, this isn't what I thought.
Speaker 9: It was anymore.
Speaker 10: For some reason, I always had faith in God that it was just gonna get better.
Speaker 14: I always had that faith that it was going to get better. I just couldn't believe though that all the lies, you know, how these people had.
Speaker 6: So much control.
Speaker 10: And they lie are so bad, and then everybody else just lets them. I mean judges. I remember being at court and Barbara Best and they're talking about how they kept getting these threats and everything. And I'm thinking, we're in jail, how can we threaten you? Oh you know they were Cannis. We can't call you unless you accept the phone called. I mean, there would be records of all this stuff.
Speaker 14: And they're saying all these lies in court, and I'm thinking, why.
Speaker 10: Isn't anybody doing anything? Why is this judge sitting here allowing these lies when he freaking knows better. I mean, I just couldn't. I couldn't grasp it, and I still can't grasp it.
Speaker 1: The lurid details and sensational indictments swept East Texas. It was all anybody could talk about.
Speaker 5: This case still has many people in Gilma riveted to the goings on at the courthouse and wondering if there will ever be a resolution to the mystery.
Speaker 10: Every day on the news, we were on the news every day for two years.
Speaker 11: On the news.
Speaker 6: Top story.
Speaker 10: It was either Kanya Harding or.
Speaker 5: For us.
Speaker 1: Tanya Harding had nothing on this From Imperative Entertainment, I'm wes Ferguson. This is Deviltown. This is chapter six courtroom drama. Here's Raymonds stepdad Don Holman.
Speaker 6: I went to a church for about three and a half years that you couldn't go the amboree.
Speaker 1: The Yamboree is the fall festival in Gilmer. It's a lot like any county fair, parade, Queen's Court, livestock show if you throw in a lot of yams. Don is a self described Bible thumper. His church back then was so strict he couldn't even have fun at the Yamboree.
Speaker 6: You can't watch showbiz pizza, you can't go on a trip without asking to get permission from the preacher. And I'm not that I was a sergeant in the army. I mean I told people what to do in a nice way, but they come and ask me, hey home and listen my wife. I think my wife's running around on me. Would you help me out? You know yeah, send her a dozen roses and apologize, you cheat, bastard. You know I've been around. I've been a cop before in Big Sandy, back when Texas largest man hunt. I was a good guy and then all of a sudden I'm in jail, going killing, killing eight a seventeen year old girl and sacrificed ten babies to the devil. And I mean just hateful things to me and put me in a dorm with a bunch of idiots. I'm not saying idiots. They was all right after I threatened to kill them, you know, but one had I kept up with him and he got seventy five years from murder, nineteen year old black guy. Another one he had tattoos, had his head shaved on each sign. Me and him used to get a water iglue and work out with it.
Speaker 10: We got along.
Speaker 6: I got along with everybody. Oh and one boy was in there in that hole and cell guy. I said, what's that all about? Who's that guy? And he goes, oh, that's one of them old charm listening curves. And when he said that, I walked over to him. I said, I said, come here. I said, you see a name right there. I said, my name is Don Holman, not Curve. Don't call me a curve. He goes, okay. I wasn't gonna hurt the guy. But from then on, when he woke my my jail, cell, he put his head down. You don't, I mean, you don't call me no charm listener. When he said you lost a bunch of weight, was that fasting? I fasted not to show off. I fasted to God. And when they asked me, I'll go get you a cheeseburger or whatever want you want to eat, I said, ma'am, listen please. I said, I'm not doing this to be stubborn headed. I appreciate anything you do. And I said, I can't. This is something I got to deal with. And I asked one of them, I said, you know what I'm in here and she said not really. I said, they're saying I'm a rapist and a murderer and a child lester. And they said want and I said yeah. And I said, and I've got to get in touch with God. Humbled. I mean, if David said I humbled, my soul was fasting, so fasten and he doesn't turn away.
Speaker 1: The Humble Down had a long history with the Kirklan local family, who's incest and child abuse got tangled up with the search for Kelly Wilson. Don says he was not particularly close to Wendell, the Kerr brother who was first convicted of abusing his own kids, which is how the case against the entire family got started, but Don says he and Wendell talked in lock up after they were both arrested So when.
Speaker 12: Wendell was telling you about some stuff about his own dad, was that when.
Speaker 15: Y'all were in jail.
Speaker 1: What did he say?
Speaker 6: Well, I hate to say this, I really do because it relates to Wendell, and I don't like to tell on him for what he was already done. Roman He said, his daddy used to soldomize him. I said, well, Wendell, does he do it anymore? He said, well, what I would do, I'd go out work, and he said, I just take the money home and give it to him. He said, after why, he said, I said no more, You're not doing this no more? He said. I got mad, and he didn't do it no more. I said, when let me tell you something, you're not to hold that against you. It's whether you go do somebody else like that. I said, you couldn't help that.
Speaker 1: Did Wendall say how old he was when he.
Speaker 8: Was getting abused?
Speaker 6: Young? Young, probably liking grad school.
Speaker 1: Wendell, the abused became the abuser. He was also a truck driver, the one who had shipping receipts which proved he'd been hauling freight on the East Coast when Kelly disappeared. The receipts even had Wendell's own signature on them. Although members of Scott Lyffort's team were convinced that Wendell was a master Satanist who'd forged the receipts, it should have been obvious to anyone else that Wendell had done no such thing, whatever his other crime. Wendell, who died in twenty eighteen, was innocent in the murder of Kelly Wilson.
Speaker 8: No grand jury's indict based on probable cause. But there wasn't probable cause, and they acknowledged that. Liferd acknowledged that.
Speaker 1: To me that Shane Phelps again.
Speaker 8: Credible witness statements could be enough, but this was outlandish stuff. I don't think there's a prosecutor in the state of Texas who has any sense of what prosecution is about. Whoever would have been dieted that case if for nothing else for the fear of I would get my ass handed to me in court. Because it didn't take long for their case just to.
Speaker 1: Fall apart, Shane says the Lifeer team had lost sight of what should have been their first priority.
Speaker 8: Prosecutors are sworn to do justice, not to seek convictions, and to my mind, and this is a case that I've often pointed to as illustrative of this idea. To my mind, it is every bit is important, if not more so, for a prosecutor to protect the innocence than convict the guilty. And I truly believe that it is more important to make sure that the criminal justicism doesn't victimize in this person than it is ultimately to convict a guilty person. It's that old adage about you know, ten guilty people go free rather than one innocent person going to prison or the death end. There's no oversight to prosecutors in Texas. They have the power to basically affect the lives of citizens in pretty detrimental ways. Put people in prison, put people on death row, you know, and if you're not motivated properly ethically, you will damage people. You will end up doing more harm than good. When I told them that their rationalization was nobody was talking to us, they were again in their mind, we know this happened, So when somebody won't talk to us about it, they must either be lying part of it, or afraid of Scott or Little Life or team afraid of law enforcement in Upshire County. Don't know who's involved and this is how they put it. We had to show them who had the power. In fact, there's an exchange with Kannie or Wanda in one of their interviews subsequent to the indictments where they say the response from Connie or Wander was, we didn't know you had that kind of power. So in their minds, it would let whoever they're talking to, who had information that they wanted, know, we're more powerful than what you're afraid of, so you can talk to us. That's why they indicted it.
Speaker 12: So they were using indictment as a tool for their investigation.
Speaker 8: Yes, I think that's right. You know there was a great deal of ignorance involved in that approach.
Speaker 1: On March fourteenth, Shane was back in Gilmer his first pre trial hearing as the lead prosecutor after taking over for Scott Leiford. Nearly everyone in the courtroom was expecting routine stuff.
Speaker 8: We went to Gilmer for the first setting. Basically what was an arrangement on all of the defendants. So they were all in the court. I'll never forget this one, all in the courtroom, all their lawyers are in the courtroom, and the judge called the case and I said, well, judge the timber We're going to dismiss everything, which took a lot of people by surprise.
Speaker 1: They did not expect that kidnapping, rape, murder. Just like that, all the charges involving Kelly Wilson, they were gone.
Speaker 16: Sort of, it is back to square one in the Kelly Wilson case. Could happen in everyone. Charges against eight people in the Kelly Wilson case have been dropped. The Attorney General's office moved were dismissal of the chargers deal with a lack of evidence. Judge James Zimmerman granted the motion this morning, and now eight people, including Sergeant James Brown, Don Holman, Danny Kerr, Eugene Kerr, Geneva Kerr, Wendel Kerr, Tammy Smith, and Wanda Kerr, are no longer suspects in the Kelly Wilson case. The state says the Wilson case remains open.
Speaker 11: This preliminary hearing originally was scheduled to go over motions by attorneys and to also look at the pre trial order. But after this development, many people are now just scratching their heads in disbelief.
Speaker 8: I think the judge was actually quoted at some point saying I just had no idea that was coming. I didn't give anybody any warning, and there was no reason to.
Speaker 1: Raymond's mom, Tammy was just as clueless.
Speaker 10: I didn't know it was going to happen. I was sitting in jail and it was lunchtime, and I was sitting right in.
Speaker 13: Front of the TV fixing to eat lunch in jail, and all of a sudden, this kicker came on on the bottom of the screen and it said all charges in the Gilmer Killy Wilson case.
Speaker 10: Had been and I remember just thinking, holy shit, we're gonna get out of here.
Speaker 1: That was on a Monday, when Shane dismissed the charges. By Friday, Don and Tammy were out of jail unreduced bond. As for the parents of Kelly Wilson, they were split when the case imploded. On one side Kelly's mom and Stepdadlene.
Speaker 5: What about reaction tonight from Kelly's parents.
Speaker 11: We talked with the Carlsons this afternoon and they said that they were basically stunned.
Speaker 1: On the other side was Kelly's dad.
Speaker 9: Robbie worked with James pretty close for the last two years. Firstly, my gut thinking the names. He has no involvement in it. And secondly, we were presented with no evidence.
Speaker 1: Towards James Brown was a free man, believe it or not. Though James wasn't thrilled, but what has happened to me to date is a travesty.
Speaker 9: I have always maintained my innocence and still do.
Speaker 15: We would haveferred.
Speaker 7: To have been able to have a speak trial in this guy. We would haveferred to be able to take Connie Martin's deposition so we can see whether or not.
Speaker 17: You know she's telling me the truth.
Speaker 1: James Brown and his attorney David Moore actually wanted to take the case to trial. Sergeant Brown's reputation had already been so tarnished in gilmer He wanted a chance to prove without a shadow of a doubt that he was innocent, not just in the court of law, in the court of public opinion too.
Speaker 16: I would ask if he would move back to Gilmour. Brown seemed unsure.
Speaker 1: There's a lot of herd, there's.
Speaker 17: Been a lot of stress.
Speaker 16: Well, Brown is out of jail. The knife it seven others charged in the will and case remained behind bars. Several members of the Kerr family and others are still being held charged with several accounts of child molestation. But despite that, Danny Kerry today from his jail cell in Upsu County, said he was happy to hear charges in the Wilson case were dropped.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm more relieved than anything else. It's just like I said, all these murder charges were bound. I didn't want to get back to my normal life like it's supposed to be.
Speaker 1: The molestation trial against Raymond's stepdad, Dawn, was actually scheduled to begin in just a week's time, but the Attorney General's office decided to postpone Dawn's and all the other molestation cases. Assistant Attorney General Shane Phelps had to regroup. He just made a bunch of enemies in Gilmer.
Speaker 8: There really was quite a bit of a fure about the dismissals because by this time the life Or team had really gathered kind of a following. It's almost like a cult of people who just believed this happened so again in their in their minds. If I step in and dismiss them all, then I'm corrupt. Not this guy's been doing this for a long time. He knows what he's doing and so on. It was I'm corrupt, I must be protecting powerful people in Upshire County from this information getting out. But I also, you know, made it clear that we were going to devote the full resources of my division in the Attorney Dental's office to investigating this whole thing, and we would be back before the grand jury.
Speaker 1: Shane was going to reinvestigate the kidnapping and death of Kelly Wilson, and then he'd take the case back in front of the grand jury, the same grand jury that indicted Sergeant Brown, the curs and Don and Tammy in the first place. But he couldn't hold the grand jury forever. He had three months.
Speaker 8: I guess. I dismissed the charges in the March, and I was back in.
Speaker 1: June Shane Phelps again.
Speaker 8: So maybe three months that's all we did. And we devoted thousands of man hours to that case. We worked with the FBI, we worked with the Sheriff's department, the police department. A big part of that focus was on changed around really involved, and we got things like his lawyer provided to us his personal diary that that was clearly his personal diary that recorded you know, a lot of his investigation into into Kelly's disappearance. You know, we talked to FBI agents who who were involved at that early stages, and we're saying this guy was doing everything he could to find this girl. Of police officers he worked with, We're talking about the fact that he was working around the clock when all this is supposed to happen, Right, He's working with people trying to find this girl while he's allegedly part of this cult that is were theoretically she was still alive, and so he would work to find her and then go get involved in It was just absurd. I have no doubt we were able to alibi him. He just had nothing to do with this. Only we had his his journal, We had his He was alibied by I think at the time, his girlfriend. The FBI. Actually, he just didn't have anything to do with that. That's and that made me angry because you know, we're talking about a death penalty case, but we're also talking about them destroying the career of a guy. And in law enforcement. I mean, I don't know that James Brown. I mean he was a chargeant in the Gilbert Police Department. I did not know who he was. I just knew he was a police officer who had been in charge of these crimes. And it became absolutely clear to me over the next ninety days getting the thing ready to go back to the grand jury, that he didn't have anything to do with it at all, that he was a victim, and as were all these other people, because there was no evidence to support like window Kerr. I mean, I got those original bills of lading and hotel receipts and gas receipts and sent those to the Department of Public Safety crime Lab, which Scott Leiford could have done, and they confirmed one percent these are original signatures by window Kerr. And I knew when I saw the bills of lading and his exemplar that it was the same guy. It was clear to me, But we sent it to the Department of Public Safety anyway for their forensic handwriting group to take a look at it, and they confirmed this was Wendell Kerr. He was out of the state the entire time.
Speaker 1: In June of nineteen ninety four, Shane Phelps took his findings back to the Grand Jury in Gilmer. By this time, Shane was so convinced of the suspect's innocence. He did something kind of unusual. He didn't even give the grand jury a chance to reindict Sergeant Brown and the others.
Speaker 8: The fact is, I wasn't going to present an indictment against people I knew to be innocent of these charges. So I made a decision. I did some things that were somewhat irregular in this whole thing. When the grand jury basically agreed with me, I had prepared a statement that I showed a grand jury, and they said yes. So I had a press conference as soon as we were done. We were in the courthouse, had been going in and out of the grand jury. I remember the press was just it was crazy. There was press everywhere. They were following me to the bathroom.
Speaker 1: It was wild.
Speaker 8: To the coke machine. I mean, I couldn't say anything. You know, I'm not going to make a comment about an ongoing investigation. I'm not going to tell you what happened in the grand jury because it's secret. The reason it's secret. So it was it was a bit of pandemonium attached on this and a lot of a lot of tension, a lot of high tension just across the board. It was. It was a bit of a circus. But I understood that people were interested in this case for obvious reasons.
Speaker 7: I think he did did what he said he was going to do, and that was look at it, look at it objectively, and when he did, he dismissed the case.
Speaker 1: That's Sergeant Brown's attorney, David Moore again fact.
Speaker 7: Not only did they just dismiss it, he made a statement to the media that it won a matter of not having enough evidence, but he said James Yort Brown is in fact an innocent man, which was a stout comment for a prosecutor to make, andppreciating him doing that.
Speaker 8: Oh, I remember it quite well. I think I said James Brown had nothing to do with this, he is innocent, because I guess that's kind of a personal thing. I think James Brown deserved having somebody in a position of authority tell the rest of the world he didn't have anything to do with it. I know the insidious power of an accusation. That is, even if it's disproved, people will still there are some people out there stood believe it. And I kind of slammed the life or team. People needed to hear that this was such a disruptive event in the lives of so many people. But James Brown had been accused of brutally raping, torturing, and abducting and murdering a seventeen year old girl. If I had just gotten in a plane and flown back to Austin, how would he have ever lived that down? Well, that he needed somebody to say.
Speaker 12: That, I mean, one of there's so many tragedies in this story, but one of the big ones is that so many people in Gilmer still think that James Brown had something to do with this.
Speaker 8: That's what I say. That's the insidious power of an accusation, particularly a wrongful accusation, And those people, you know, felt great of the same nonsense that I think Scott Leiffer did, because I think this Scott Leifert wasn't experienced, He didn't know how to conduct a criminal investigation, and he was swayed by this nonsense he was hearing from bags and flag.
Speaker 12: Even the victim's mom cappy at first, he said this is this can't be true, but at some points she was persuaded.
Speaker 8: Otherwise, his dad never did. I mean, he was relieved when when James was exonerated and these and these indictments were dismissed. It was you know, you asked the question, you know, why did I do that? Because, as I say, it was a fairly irregular thing from my perspective, from my moral framework, from my ethical foundation of being a prosecutor, I didn't think I had any of the choice. You can't just point to figure at somebody and say horrible things about them and then when you know you're wrong, not corrected, and that's that's what we did. I to this day have absolutely no regrets about doing that. I think it was the right thing to do.
Speaker 1: Shane's decision angered a lot of people in Gilmer. Remember Melvin Dodd, the Gilmer school teacher and co founder of the Justice for Kelly Wilson Committee. When Melvin read Shane's statement in the newspaper, he immediately called his friend Harvey, who'd sat on the grand jury.
Speaker 17: And then the charge has been dropped. They were dropped by the Texas Attorney General's Office, and there was a statement in there they said that they were acting on behalf of the grand jury. I'm trying to think of the name of the man from the Attorney General's Office who, in my opinion's totals.
Speaker 1: Come back Shane Phelps.
Speaker 17: Shane, Yeah, Shane Phelps. So I read Harvey Rason this statement where Shane Phelps said that the grand jury requested that they dropped the charges. This is the way Harvey Rason spoke to.
Speaker 4: Me, Melvin. The grand jury took no action, So every raceing was saying that that was a lie. The grand jury absolutely did not ask Shane Phepps and Lisa Tanner and the Attorney General's office to drop the charges.
Speaker 1: But our rations dead now, so he he was not convinced then to drop the charges. He would have.
Speaker 17: Oh, he was upset that the charges were dropped.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 17: We had on the south side of the court House in Gilmer a rally called Justice for Kelly Wilson. And I think I didn't go around county, but I think we probably had over five hundred people there.
Speaker 8: You know, a little bit of knowledge about the criminal justice system can be dangerous. So everybody assumed that because the grand jury didn't no. Billet said, that means that there must have been something going on that I fooled the grand jury in which is nonsense.
Speaker 1: The Justice for Kelly Wilson committee would go on to hold a bunch of rallies. They even protested outside the Attorney General's office in Austin, but their protests went nowhere. To this day, many Gilmer residents believe Shane was part of a conspiracy to protect evildoers, and Gore, the CPS caseworker who uncovered the abuse in the curR home, is among them.
Speaker 12: And I talked to Anne Gore.
Speaker 15: She wouldn't talk for the recorders, but she still professes to believe that, you know, she thinks she was in the right. You know, she thinks that she was like following this holy crusade or something.
Speaker 8: You know. I suppose, you know, I can't speak for Anne Gore. I suppose when you get so invested in something being true that cause was so much damage that I guess from a psychological perspective, you just can't admit you were wrong. I feel sorry for her, you know, laboring under a you know, an apprehension that is just not true. We know it not to be true, and yet in her mind, for the rest of her life, she's going to think it was. And some horrible things happened. And in terms of you know, killers getting away with it, people in power protecting other people in power, I mean, it is a fantasy world that she lives in that I guess she just can't disabuse herself, which is which is tragedy.
Speaker 7: And then the injustice of.
Speaker 12: You know, there was actual abuse that was kind of paper over, you know, because it morphed.
Speaker 8: Into this story as he did. And a Gore and Debbie Minshew and Brooks slag and Scott or Steve Baggs and Scott Lafford are responsible for the people who abuse those kids never being held responsible. It's their fault because they contaminated those children to the extent that those children could never be credible in the court of law. I mean, you can imagine the cross examination when we start talking about, well you also saw those penis shaped elevators, didn't you. Yeah, and nobody would believe. I mean, these children were horribly manipulated and they were destroyed in terms of their credibility and frankly, how much damage did it do to these kids? It did a ton of damage.
Speaker 1: To evaluate Raymond and the Kirk kids, the state of Texas hired a noted psychiatrist named Bruce Perry. His research focuses on the long term effects of trauma and children, and he's been an expert witness and a number of high profile incidents, including the Oklahoma bombing and the Columbine massacre.
Speaker 8: You know, one of the reasons that Bruce Perry came into the picture was to try and deal with these children, to try and sort this out. Can can these cases be salvaged? And the bottom line was non. I could not be salvaged. And that was hard, you know, but again, you walk away as a good prosecutor from a case, even though you may believe that the person is guilty, but if it has been so compromised because of misconduct and the credibility of the children has been so destroyed, you may not like it. You have no choice. You have to walk away. And that's what happened in that case. We had to dismiss and I had already left the AG's office. Wouldn't happen, but we all knew it was going to happen. That was one of our biggest concerns was is there any way to salvage these cases against these people who may or may not have I mean, I can't tell you at this point. I believe something happened. I believe there was some validity in those original cases but it was all just lost in all of the subnunsense.
Speaker 1: So not only was the search for Kelly Wilson lost in the hysteria, there was very little doubt that at least some members of the Kerr family had abused their own kids. In those cases, they were ruined too. But there was a bright side. Don and Tammy hadn't done anything wrong. Their son Raymond had been pressured into making up abuse claims against them. For all this time, Don and Tammy had been waiting for justice too. Folks and Gilmer were split on their guilt or innocence.
Speaker 10: Somebody took a spray paint and spray painted a big IM on my car for molester. He had a big Cadillac, Maroon Cadillac, and I mean this huge m spray painting all over my Cadillac.
Speaker 6: So much stuff that want and people were so hateful, big old go limb written across tobacco it and people told me how to get it off. I said, I ain't getting it off. I drove around town with it on there. I mean, like you want to call me a name? I said, Now it's gone. Now it finally wore all.
Speaker 1: Don was also fielding anonymous phone calls.
Speaker 6: Like, hey, yeah, ho's this. Well I just saw you on TV and I thought she's good looking and I'd like to get to know you. And I said, well, I got me a woman and I'm faithful to her. Well okay, and one of us said, hey, you you that guy like to eat women, you know, and well killed then eat them.
Speaker 1: Don tries to make light of things now, but the legal limbo was clearly taking a toll.
Speaker 10: We got to coordinate and then they cancel it court they knew they cancel it, and I mean, my nerves were just shot. And I remember one day I broke down crimes so hard, right in the middle of work, and I was a cashier at a convenience store and there was it was full, and I remember this guy walked up to me, goes, baby, we've been watching you for years. He goes, You've been so strong, he said, don't give up now, and I just I was like, you don't know, you just don't know.
Speaker 1: He goes, no, we know you.
Speaker 6: We're so proud of you.
Speaker 10: And it was just like a lift me up, you know. I mean, this stranger guy knew who I was. I didn't even know if they knew because that was the embarrassing part. You don't know who knows who you are. You know, and I always feel I had an obligation when I'd meet you people, I needed to tell them right off who I was.
Speaker 1: Now, thanks to the bungling of Scott Lyfford's team and the CPS caseworkers, the molestation charges were gone. Don and Tammy were free and clear, But Raymond he was still trapped in foster care and Kelly was still missing. Deviltown is a production of Imperative Entertainment. It was written and created by me Wes Ferguson. Executive producer is Jason Hoak. Audio engineering and editing by Shane Freeman and Jason Hoak. Original score is by Robert Ellis. Recording by Austin Sissler at Eastside Studios. If you like the show, leave a review and don't forget to tell your friends thanks for listening.