Speaker 1: Three and FM at ninety five point one.
Speaker 2: The Green Country Gardner Program with our expert Larry Class is brought to you by Green Colum Nursery and Greenhouses, United, Reynolds, Kelly Banks, Tree Service, Roman's Outdoor Power, Accent, Pest Control, Ascension, Saint John, James Phillips and Gateway First Back. Ah Yeah, good morning, good morning, good morning, welcome, welcome time now for the Green Country Gardener Program.
Speaker 1: He's Larry Glass, He's our expert. I'm Tom Davis. I just answered the Poe's the kind of way ad level of the humor.
Speaker 2: But our phone line is open, so if you do have a question or a comment at poor Larry are expert, make sure you called in at one eight hundred seven four nine five nine three six. Happy crabgrass season crabgrass. Yes, I got a crop for you, buddy.
Speaker 3: How tall is cra well?
Speaker 2: I'm starting to see you get back home from vacation. Time to get it before that happened.
Speaker 3: I know, I've ran into some of the toughest crabgrass in my place. It'll bend your blades. Yeah, it's crazy. I love this weather. Some people actually call it waters water crabgrass, but it's when it gets to that point. Uh, the herbicides just won't work.
Speaker 1: No, it's it's it's that will work.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: Is a claw hammer?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Pickax? How big it is?
Speaker 3: I got craggrass the size of redwood redwood trees. Oh my goodness, you can cut it up and make lumber out of them.
Speaker 1: Anyway, that's not a good thing for here.
Speaker 3: Typically we're running into a lot of dry weather and you know, I've cactus screwing in my front yard. But this year things are looking pretty good.
Speaker 1: They are.
Speaker 3: We've had some makeup rain from last year. We've already reached our amount of rain almost till the end.
Speaker 1: Of the year. You were showing me back graft. That was impressive.
Speaker 3: We've had thirty one point seven inches of rain so far, and typically we have forty. So they're going to have to the Weather Department's going to have to make a bigger chart. Probably. Yeah, we'll see what happens. Actually, I've had experiences where it's we've had wall clouds come in on July the fourth.
Speaker 1: I bet we have in the past.
Speaker 3: Back in the eighties and nineties.
Speaker 1: Do we have some politility back then? Is that what you're saying.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and we still do. I mean that still happened. The weather's cyclical and it's unpredictable. So yeah, anyway, we would take all we can get.
Speaker 1: We will.
Speaker 2: I don't want to have anything like I was seeing a few years ago where the fish will hit track into the next pond because you're breaking out of water.
Speaker 5: Catch me, please, trying to fight and chance with you.
Speaker 3: Try not to, however, over water your tomatoes and try not to. People who are watering the grass every single day haven't water mine yet, and it looks great. So that's a terrible waste of water. So you don't if you don't need to, don't. I mean it's that does is it makes your grass dependent on that shallow water.
Speaker 1: It does, and.
Speaker 3: When the time gets rough, they don't have the deep roots, and it's like, uh, you know, like being on a drug or something. They just can't survive a drought. You know, we need to when you do water, let the ground dry out between watering. This is a simple thing. Just look look down in there and put your finger on the ground. If you raise a kid, you know. But anyway, see if it's wet down there, and if it's wet, don't water yeah, easy. That Typically you get take your wife's nine by thirteen pain and put it out in the yard and run your sprinkler for a while, and when you get to get it to one inch, that's how much time it takes to water though the whole yard on a weekly period. So typically about an inch a week is its adequate brain for our needs around in here.
Speaker 1: All right.
Speaker 3: So, and we've had that really so grounds and got to lead. The trees are doing great.
Speaker 1: The trees look wonderful.
Speaker 3: Those that survived the past year's droughts. Yeah, I pulled up the trucks from the Weather Service and it's been three years in a row. We've been stuck in a dry situation. And this is cyclical if you go back way back in time patterns. Yeah, yeah, you look at it. It's a cycle that comes and goes. So it's just a natural thing. So don't worry about it. Just prepare for it, right right, So, trying not to overwater your tomatoes at this point, they're cracking the heat.
Speaker 1: I was going to ask you what made tomatoes do that?
Speaker 3: Now I know it's the Typically the skin when the water comes in, they ripen the the water in there soaks up the water and it breaks the breaks the skin. So if you do have a situation where your tomatoes crack a lot, you might want to pick them as they turn peak and then bring them in the house with them, ripe it in the house. Very good idea, So that way, at least you won't have a little little critters in.
Speaker 2: Your I used to see those things about as big as your fist, and then they would start to crack, and the you know, we'd have to run into the garden because somebody saw a crack and just pull them out, you know quick, you know, before they start pick them, Yeah, pick them, bring him in, put them in the window, Put them in the window.
Speaker 1: Still right.
Speaker 3: So anyway, so that's kind of it. With the tomatoes. I'd be sure to keep a steady fertilizer on them. Don't try to overdo it, no, just just a good steady flow use a you know, Tremertle Vitaler tomato fertilizer.
Speaker 6: There you go, phanetic food pot there, just having an issue there. Get to that for a lie as as recommended on the package of the okay okay, also time to in the in the in the garden.
Speaker 3: Time to plant okram, so it'll be ready to go. And Oka likes it's hot.
Speaker 1: I heard her say that on TV. No O crah o.
Speaker 3: Cra Yeah, your crap there, you just find Okay, the roses are slowing down a little bit. Hydrants are slowing down also a little bit. It's the latest time right now to cut back to dogwood trees. They're going to begin differentiating the days are what is summer solstice? Anyway, we're there, huh, we're there over there now, Okay, these aids are going to start getting a little bit shorter, and that's their signal to go ahead and initiate blooms. So you if you haven't prune back, and if you do want to prune back your dogwood trees and your zellios and other things like that to bloom this ring lightlacs, etcetera, etcetera. Uh, get away along because they're going to start differentiating based on the length of day. So as they shortened, uh, they get that signal to put on bloom. So uh, the wisteria buyings the same thing. It sets booms. The booms are set in the fall and then when the spring comes.
Speaker 1: There you go.
Speaker 2: Hey, getting back to roses, kind of go ahead knockout roses. I've seen some of them start to turn pinkish sh bang red, you know, yeah, is not a sign that's not doing well.
Speaker 3: It's probably either rosette disease or excessive water.
Speaker 1: I'm going with excessive water.
Speaker 3: Yeah. The rosette disease, which is a problem that people a few years ago outs at the house too Thursday. They had had it real bad on their knockouts. And if it's typically associated with very closely related and numerous uh thorns, and the flowers get all distorted and actually they get a little bit of a little bit pinky too when that happens. Okay, so your leaves get distorted, the tips get burned, and that's typically typical of Rosette's disease, which came a while back, and it's spread by mikes. So I don't have it on my knockout road, of.
Speaker 1: Course you don't. You do nothing to yours. They just magically they just grow.
Speaker 3: But anyway, they're planting on the north side of the house away from mine on the south, and there's a vegetation between it and the rock on the house. So's it's in any microclimate that the mics really don't prosper very well.
Speaker 1: Yeah, mine's right there on the southwest, right in the heat, so.
Speaker 3: That, yeah, you'll you'll probably have them if you haven't yet. They probably hopefully that this disease will run its course and then there will be a problem anymore. We can grow some really nat rods is again, but kay, the knockouts can't beat big old plants. They are nice and just covered in blue booms and just boom like they're all the same color. But they're coming out with some different colors that there's a pink one and a yellow knockout and a white one. It's called white out, believe it or not. A man yeah white yeah that. But anyways, so you want to kind of keep them fertilized to on a regular basis. To add, with all this rain, it's kind of washed away some stuff, so it might be malnutriented due to just the fertilizer washing out of the soil utilized by crabgrass.
Speaker 1: So in your case, crab grass turned into a mouture.
Speaker 3: And when your fertilizer, your roses don't use a high nitrogen use ten twenty ten or something like that that's thick or just get some rose fertilizer. Very simple, it's all the work for you.
Speaker 1: It'll diffuse nicely.
Speaker 3: It's right now. Also is the latest time for the fertilizer operation applications on azalias. This is the last one to do. They're going to be initiating blooms pretty soon too. And you don't want a whole lot of top growth at this point. You want to kind of slow down a little bit. So something with a fairly low nitrogen level. Your jalies and look at the leaf size of the rxalis that the leaves are really kind of small. Senses are your pH is too high, So you get somen with some salts in it or some iron salfate on them or something to lower try to lower that pH. Because they they're not native to this area. Alias or what we call ericaceous, and that covers that term covers a broad spectrum of plant cetera, acid requiring azalias and rhododendrons and et cetera. Et cetera, like a require an acid soil.
Speaker 1: Got it.
Speaker 3: They come from the Orient and they have a lot of volcanic foil there and that that's why they're kind of suited to that. Gotcha, up on Circle Mountain, though, we do have some situations where the soil is somewhat acid and these values do bid. I see some lawns over their beautiful jailias, but some of them, some of them around around town, just don't do as well because we have a limestone based soil.
Speaker 1: I've seen those. Yeah, I think maybe at my house.
Speaker 3: So I don't have any values in my house.
Speaker 1: Well, I've learned my lessons that Rhode todendron they don't work.
Speaker 3: Well, yeah, there are. Actually I have a customer who has a rotor dinner in her backyard in an elevated bed that shielded from the afternoon sun by a pergola thing.
Speaker 1: And it's lucky her, but it still has a little bit of.
Speaker 3: Stamp virus in it. But I told her to slow down on the watering and hopefully it'll do better.
Speaker 2: Let's take a quick break. We're going to be right back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 7: Did you know green Thum Nursery and Greenhouses is home to Barnos Bill's largest election of quality plants shot their new sales ribera Daisy's fifty percent off rows of Sharon, African Violence, Japanese maples, clemenus, hydranges all thirty percent off. Perennials get a dollar off person lane hanging basket regularly twenty four ninety nine now nineteen ninety nine, and roses at fifty percent off. Thigs, blueberries, blackberries all forty percent off, but only at Greenum Nursery and greenhouses on the Weather Road, open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, eleven to four on Sunday.
Speaker 8: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my yard? Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 9: There's a dead tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall.
Speaker 8: Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eighty three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 11: Call today for your tree trimming, stump grinding and tree removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven thousand.
Speaker 9: The employees at United Rentals or local folk who work, play, go to church and send their kids to school in Bartlesville and the surrounding area. But United Rentals also has corporate buying power, which gives them power and leverage to get you the best deal on equipment. You need to get your job done right and with twenty four hours service, there's always someone from United Rentels to help you. United Rentals on the southeast corner of Highway sixty and seventy five United Rentals.
Speaker 12: Are you scheduled for a CT scan or MRI? Does it cause you concerned or even fear? Know what to expect and how to prepare by visiting radiologyinfo dot org. Today, that's radiologyinfo dot org.
Speaker 2: Good morning, and welcome to the Green Country Gardener Program. Our phone line is open at one eight hundred seven three six. In that way you can get in and get your question answered by our expert, Larry Glass. I'm Tom Davis. Where are we now on the program?
Speaker 1: Larry, Well, we were.
Speaker 3: Talking about the weather and how it's affecting things and now this year I noticed a lot of the scale insects are a little late, but you do need to inspect your plants for those. And actually I've found some clean crape myrtles here and there. Typically they're not associated with the war with the worm spot and mine at home don't seem to have too many of them scale insects either.
Speaker 10: Uh.
Speaker 3: The scale insect also is spreading across the board into the uanamous family, specifically burning bush and Manhattan euana us. So you want to watch for that too.
Speaker 2: How do I know if I have scale, Well, it's a little dark, and it's kind of slimy.
Speaker 3: It's a real small imagine a overcooked fried egg stuck to the stem, very small though, about as big as the head of a pin or something. And what they do is they cling themselves to the tree and they draw juices out of the plant. Then they take that juice and do whatever they do with it, and then they poop it out, if you will, along with eggs, along with ants. Like that syrupy stuff they put out, and that's good. They walk through it, and them and Fred and Ethel and George also walk through that. Ants walk through that slimy stuff and they carry it around. And that's why there's one reason why the spacing on them is fairly uniform too. Just by the the ant has six legs, and that one leg is the same distance. Yea, So watch out on your oak trees. I was at a customer's house earlier this year, and they had terrible problem with scale on their oaks. I wonder why they're not growing fast. Well, they're they're being stressed out from the scale insects. Then about two weeks ago went to their house and we looked at it and the scale. They put the amidle clo prid down the tree, drew it up and then, uh, the scales are still there, but they're they're not alive. Knocked them out and the tree is actually having a second flush.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: So yeah, crape myrtle's burning bush uanymous And actually a lot of other plants are starting to get affected by them as they kind of changed their diet habits, I guess, so watch out for those. They're pretty bad things, okay, they, like I said, the amid clo prid is at this point is a good control, while the dormant In the winter dormant oil works real well. But you don't want to use dormant oil when it's hot. Yeah, leaves all dry up flow lace. So timing is very important on that too. So at the nursery, golly, we got all kinds of container and bald bird out trees can be planning just about new time, just don't want to move them. Hawsters are doing very well. They're starting to bloom a little bit. Encore as there's putting on As is putting on some flowers here and there, and I began to show some budswell opening up to colb. Flowers are showing some color. Harder high Biscuits is growing aggressively and then beginning to bloom. Hardy high Biscuits is a pretty cool plant.
Speaker 1: It gets big, the name hardy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I have heard my house in the bed and they're six feet tall, and you're starting to bloom right now. But they need they get tall. So but I tried on one of them, I tried cutting it back and it actually increased the branching while it was young. Maybe more branches coming out, so we'll have more blooms. So but they will form eventually a kind of a V shaped cluster of stems or clump, if you will, And they bloom for a pretty long period of time, and in the summer. I wouldn't make a big deal of their composition. I mean, in your composition, you know, an entire entire composition of these plants, because they're going to bloom for a short period of time, so you put them here and there to give you some seasonal interest. Yeah. They associate real well with with rows of Sharon, which is actually related. So and the roads of Sharon are in full bloom right now too.
Speaker 1: I see how you work in it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so.
Speaker 1: The mesage to your madness.
Speaker 3: So the crape myrtles are starting to starting to make some show. Some of the earlier blooming ones are blooming right now. And yeah, some a purple ones in the landscape too. I'm working on a plan for somebody and they wanted something purple on the west side of the house. I said, well, I really wouldn't go with the little Japanese maple. No, it'll turn into post hostis in no time. So let's think about maybe a purple leaf crape and a dwarf too, and that'll give you that purple color. There's also nine bark, which is one two, but it's it's very irregular in this growth habit and in this situation, it wouldn't work because it's porky growth, you know. And they just don't make a good form. I mean, they're pretty well when they bloom, they're nice, and the purple leaves are nice too, and They take the sun real well, and we've used them on very successfully on some landscapes when you allow it to get fairly large, and the blooms all kind of show you on them too. But anyway, so something purple like that would work. It's fine. There's also a dwarf purple leaf plum, but they get so full of bugs and disease and boards and stuff, but it's not worth it at all. But probably one of the better purplely plants on the Wist side is barbary well really yeah, and thorns, but no, really, you really only have to do anything with your barberies maybe once a year in the spring, just cut them back a little bit. People let them get too big and about middle February early early March they need to be cut back rather sternly. And my neighbor across the street did that and they're beautiful and he doesn't do anything to them. You know, some pleasure gloves you know in winter, and the thorns aren't that bad on them.
Speaker 2: If you got a rose bush, I think it'll be Okays.
Speaker 3: Are worse, really, But the barbary is takes our heat and it doesn't get the diseases we have here and so on so on. So for some purple color you might consider that good. Okay, we'll do our tree this week is a little gym magnolia. The little gym is a smaller version of the regular magnolia treetch. But however it stays small because it has a shorter node between the stems and the leaves. A node is a link between the stem it branches out, or the distance between the leaves. On the planet too, it thinks it's hey, I'm a two hundred foot magnolia. I'm big and tall. But no, no, it gets about ten or twelve feet tall. So if you do want to magnolia or something, it doesn't get us tall. Over here on the notes that says gets up to forty feet forty by thirty feet. But not in Oklahoma, No, no, not at all. One thing about the magnolia tree is this, we planted something for somebody and they said, you don't want to trend them from the ground up. You don't know, And so why is that? Because every single day they drop something, They drop leaves. They're done with their leaf, drop in the string. Then they around the leaf. They have a sheath that falls off when the flowers come out. They have a sheath that falls off the blooms, the bloom fold bud. So there's also stuff, a lot of stuff below them, So you want to make that just a surface where all that's stuck and decomposed and go back into the soil. Also act as the mults. So when you're planting magnolia trees, planting is this is what one of my college professors said. It's so funny, like southern bells dancing across the yard. You know, those big dresses. So they that's kind of how you want to do your magnolia trees. Don't get them close to the house. Keep them twenty feet away from the sidewalk or the driveway and twenty thirty feet from the house. They grow to be a really nice big plant.
Speaker 1: That's all you say they get. Huh, how do all do you say they get?
Speaker 3: They can get up to forty one hundred fifty fifty feet around. Okay, pretty good, thie, and a little gym is a smaller plant than that, so okay, very good. Anyway, I mentioned that because they're blooming and they look good.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they look good, folks.
Speaker 2: We're going to take a time out We'll be back after this one minute, sorry, two minute break.
Speaker 13: The strength of America, our values, our way of life hasn't just been one on the battlefield. It's one every day in our communities when we come together extending hands of compassion, service, and hope to those who need it most.
Speaker 3: For over one hundred.
Speaker 13: Years, the American Legion has been strengthening communities across our nation by providing life saving help and support to our veterans and neighbors during times like we're facing today. It's what the Legions allow pout from blood drives to distributing food, from responding to emergencies and protecting the most vulnerable among us. Our mission is making America's community stronger.
Speaker 3: We are one family, and therefore we care.
Speaker 13: We are the American Legion Veterans Strengthening America. To learn how you can help, visit Legion dot org.
Speaker 14: Do you enjoy helping people grow their business?
Speaker 11: Me too.
Speaker 14: I'm Tami Brinkman, sales manager for K one, KYFM, KRIG and KPGM, and I'm looking for someone to join my team as a marketing specialist. You work closely with business owners in Bartlesville and across Northeast Oklahoma in Southeast Kansas to help them grow and excel in the ever changing world of advertising. Our company offers on air radio, billboards, digital marketing products, video, print and promotions. We start with guaranteed salary leading to commissions with benefits including profit sharing. If you like to help people succeed, join my team and media. You can pick up an application at our office twelve hundred Southeast Frank Phillips Boulevard, or download an application at Bartlesville Radio dot com and click employment opportunities.
Speaker 11: Join our team at Bartlesville Radio K one, KYFM, k RIG and KPGM Bartlesville Radio and equal opportunity employer.
Speaker 1: We're your sports.
Speaker 12: Source K one AM fourteen hundred and FM ninety three point three and ninety five point one.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardner Program. And it's a thirty four seventy seventy degree is a little overcast right now. To take a look at the Tray County Tech Interactive Radar. One big cloud in the sky and it's over us.
Speaker 1: I like that.
Speaker 2: Our phone line is open at one eight hundred seven four nine five nine three six.
Speaker 3: Larry Well, yeah, we're oh yeah, there's a little well, it kind of went away. But let's talk a little bit about cone flowers.
Speaker 1: Let's do that.
Speaker 3: Echinacea is a cone flower and it's a hearty perennial here if where snake wret comes from. And it does quite well in our climate. Of course, this one loves the heat, but kind of within limits too, you know, to go so far.
Speaker 1: Like one hundred and four and then it starts to wilt a little bit.
Speaker 3: About at about one hundred and twenty degrees. It kind of will little.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, the available in colors from white to yellow, orange and red to purple. They boom for a fairly long period of time in the summer. But they do like well drained soil and a wide open situation. And I like to use them in a composition where there's just not a bunch of them, just you will get a bunch of them eventually kind of doum, just kind of dotum around a little bit. Give them some room to grow, because you'll they will be joining hands in no time. They read received. The sells very well, they do, and sometimes you get some variations in the color too.
Speaker 1: Nice.
Speaker 3: Anyway, we have met the nursery and it's a big color kind of rainbow colors, some white, yellow, orange, red, purple. The stock option, of course, there's kind of a lavender purple is sort of color.
Speaker 1: And they.
Speaker 3: They do quite well here because they're native to the area. If you have to on the roadside, you see them all over the place. They're a really really good plant. Actually, so you might consider some cone flowers to be prepared for them to have seeds come up everywhere and make little cone flowers all over the place, so some thinning is necessary, and they can makes good early Christmas gifts for somebody. Do you have my cone flowers? You can have some. So anyway, they're a really good plant. I like them in the landscape, has some of my house, and most people I do know really kind of like them too. They seem to be very resistant to diseases, insects and everything and just tolerate to heat very well.
Speaker 1: Good.
Speaker 3: Okay, so hard to have. Biscuits are kind of the same way. I think we talked about them earlier. Anyway, planning your landscape, that's kind of important thing. Kind of know what's going to happen when on your landscape. That's something we do. We go to your house and take some measurements, and I take a lot of pictures too, and basically build build a house virtually with the landscape around it, and get get the measures measurements really close and then come up with with an idea. And once you get the base information down you can work with some which there are no variables in the equation when it comes to base base information is there set, but there are some in the landscape type. So when you do I want us to come out and give you a landscape planning. I kind of need to know what are you looking for, what you need? What is your vision of the landscape, I mean, and then then I can interpolate that and assign different shrubs and shape and elevations and stuff like that to make the landscape do what you wanted to do. Okay, one thing you have to consider it. I ran into this this week also is at a kind of an elderly couple. It must have been sixty five. Hey, shut out, you're.
Speaker 1: Older now, Hey both of us are older.
Speaker 3: No, not really, but anyway, they overdid the landscape too too much.
Speaker 1: So they had like some kind of like a rainforest going on in there.
Speaker 3: It's just a whole lot of disassociated plants and overgrown stuff here and there, and it just looks And I know they spent a lot of money on it because a lot of plants, just too many plants put in there. They had it, they had done, somebody did it for them. But you need to use a little discretion on some of this and try not to overdo it and think, what's it gonna What is this landscape going to look like in ten years?
Speaker 1: What do you want it to accomplish? Where do you see? So?
Speaker 3: Right? Yeah, and this one, uh, the design who designed it that completely ignored the house.
Speaker 1: It's just basically they sold them a bunch of plants and cash.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just kind of threw them in the ground. And it's a it's a maintenance nightmare for them. And I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible, lurry glass law and rescue and reducing some of the square footage of the bed is just a whole lot of probably a quarter acre planter beds themselves. And when you get older, you just don't want to mess with that.
Speaker 2: So you like looking at it, you appreciate it being pretty, but it's like getting down on my knees. I made a commitment here.
Speaker 3: One of my thoughts is to keep it, keep it simple, so and also kind of envision Yeah the people, Yeah, they might be in their you know, thirties forties right now, but what's going to happen in you know, twenty years. Yeah, are they going to want to do that much work later on? I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm fond of it right now.
Speaker 3: So yeah, and then you know, and during the conversation and try to get information from them, but whether or not they really like to work out in the yard or they don't. And actually I made some converts credit converts. As far as I don't want to do a thing with this too, well, I kind of enjoyed this. So it just depends on where you are on the number one, the environment, number two the house style of the house and what do they want to do with the landscape. How big is it, how big are the beds all this other things? How much rooms are between the sidewalk and the house. Not only builders do that, you get but nine inches, dude, what are you going to plan that?
Speaker 1: Come on, you can't even move that without.
Speaker 3: You take the sidewalk and you put a little curve into it. You have some specimen plants that work with the landscape of the house, come up with a designer where it actually goes on the outside of the of the sidewalk, where it sort of curves around outside where is your imagination. You're kind of walking through the landscape rather than walking at it, if you will. And some people are kind of slow to accept that. They just see this boundary that they don't want to go past. So we try to break those boundaries. And then you know when it really kind of emphasized.
Speaker 1: The front door, it's your welcome spot.
Speaker 3: This one I went to this week, everything was kind of sort of overemphasized except the front door. O. Yeah, very odd. Yeah, so what do you know? So I'll probably present them a plan where we tear out all the concrete and make it more creative. But wish'll thinking that's what you would do, That's what I did in my house.
Speaker 1: You did do that, so you're speaking from experience.
Speaker 3: We'll come on over sledgehammer and I cut those stones. Actually with us a sledge hammer, you can go kind of linear thing and you have a what it used for retaining wall block.
Speaker 1: On the back.
Speaker 3: Really, yeah, you didn't waste anything, didn't waste anything. And and it turned some of them upside down and put some iron sulfate on them and some water and turned him into sandstone.
Speaker 5: Rocksh you go, so my boulders are artificial. But anyway, so did you do something like that out of the huge range? Yeah, actually liked it everything. Yes, it looks concrete column right by the back door. And the ground elevation was too high, the water was going towards the house. We rearranged all that so the water goes away.
Speaker 3: From the house. And and being so there's this ugly concrete thing, a chunk that was poured, like, what do we do with it? It took my grinder to it and kind of sculpted a little bit. And then you use the the iron sulfate on it and let it sit for a little while. And it took some hydrated line and sprinkled it here and there. It gave you some color verry.
Speaker 2: So it looks it looks it looks like a rock, looks like heame out of the ground exactly poured from some guy's truck.
Speaker 3: So sometimes when you get back in their corner yet to use the creativity.
Speaker 2: And creativity about Larry, let's take a quick break We're going to be right back after this two minute timeout.
Speaker 7: Did you know Green Thum Nursery in Greenhouses is home to barnos Bill's largest election of quality plants shot their new sales Ribera Daisies fifty percent off, Rows of Sharon, African Violence, Japanese maples, Clemenus high ranges all thirty percent off. Perennials get a dollar off first lane hanging basket regularly twenty four ninety nine now nineteen ninety nine, and roses at fifty percent off. Thigs, blueberries, blackberries all forty percent off, but only at green Tham Nursery in Greenhouses on the Water Road, open Monday through Saturday, nine to five, eleven to four on Sunday.
Speaker 8: Who do I call to get my trees trimmed? Kelly Banks Tree Service? Who can grind up these stumps in my Kelly Banks Tree Service.
Speaker 1: There's a dead.
Speaker 8: Tree right by my house and I'm nervous it might fall. Well, you better call Kelly Banks Tree Service. What's that number?
Speaker 10: It's nine one eight three three five seven thousand. It's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero.
Speaker 11: Call it today for your tree trimming, stop grinding and trad removal needs.
Speaker 10: That's nine one eight day three five seven zero zero zero nine one eight day three five seven.
Speaker 3: Thousand Paralyzed Veterans of America National Service Officers.
Speaker 8: We've got an entire generation of men and women who have seen war.
Speaker 1: They're going to need voices.
Speaker 3: Perilized Veterans of America represents them changing lives, building futures. That's Paralyzed Veterans of America. To learn more, visit PVA dot org. A public service message from Paralyzed Veterans of America.
Speaker 7: Melissa Wandell was nine months pregnant with her first child when her husband Mark was killed in a car accident. His life insurance made a huge difference for Melissa and her daughter Madison.
Speaker 11: I wasn't going to have to worry about going to work every day, leaving her in the hands of somebody else struggling day by day to get by.
Speaker 3: A message from the nonprofit Life Foundation.
Speaker 2: How hot is it? It is eight forty five and we're at seventy seven degrees. This is the Green Country Gardener Program with Larry Glass. I'm Tom Davis, and your phone calls are always welcome.
Speaker 1: At nine.
Speaker 2: I'm sorry that's a one eight hundred seven for nine five dying three six. Once again toll free. It is one eight hundred seven four nine five dying three six.
Speaker 3: Larry, Yeah, we're getting back to lawns. We touched a little bit on craggrass, and crabgrass is a warm season annual grass which grows best in the heat of midsummer. Boy, doesn't I see some people's lawns that are entirely crabgrass, and fine.
Speaker 1: This is great.
Speaker 3: If that's what you want, that's fine.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: It overwinters as a seed comes up about mid May or later, so it's killed by the fall frost. Crab grass is not shade tolerant. It grows best in full sun. I have a big maple tree and a Chinese ustache under which there is no crabgras, and have a little bit in the front yard. I actually found something that kind of selectively removed it. But there's some extenuating circumstances you have to work around, so kind of run out of time. But anyway to help control the crabgrass, you want to use a pre emergent. You do that early in the spring, right, it'll take care of it.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: If if you want to get rid of handbit stuff like that that comes up in the spring. You do that in October. So a pre emergent urban side works pretty well too. Per Dieman's a good one to help stop the growth of crabgrass in the yard. And I didn't do that on my yard this year, unfortunately, because the last three years has been so dry. That's all I had. Yeah, that's not the trace this year, not not the shape, not the well anyway, it's not having this year. It has some really nice permetographs. So it and as time goes on, it's more difficult to control. So you might want to consider a law management program. Say we talked about long of pecan trees right now, conserve moisture, control weeds on your pecans, collect leaf samples if you have a problem with them. The extension agent can tell you if you got problems with your thing, soil drain and clean ditches and so. All the stuff is from the fact sheet. So anyway, if you're having trouble with your pecans bearing or anything, you might might consider a zinc And the zinc does a pretty good job of it's it's a trace element that the precontra and need to grow real well. But after all the rain this year, we I don't know how the crop's going to be. But anyway, so you want to if you do hapicons right now. It's not a whole lot to do with them right now. Just don't let them get too wet.
Speaker 1: Gotcha.
Speaker 3: I watch carefully for aphids and case bears and all the stuff. So the insects are coming in the spinners. Ad works pretty well to control a lot of wide variety of insects. So look at su pecontril close and look for little maybe little holes or if you see a spider web, black pain. Yeah, yeah, you want to control those two. Anyway. So there's time here, not allowed to talk about.
Speaker 2: Really, everything's either growing or burning up, depending on what kind of year we're happening.
Speaker 3: One thing, though, it's going to quit watering here pretty soon. It's gonna quit rainy, I mean pretty soon. So you want to of course, water properly. Water water is expensive. Yeah, you should get my water belts in nurthtry.
Speaker 1: My goodness, Oh i'd faint.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and the grass will do much better if you have a drying out period between waterings. In other words, let it. I'm not saying let it wilth a little bit. But check the surface of the soil and see if it's drying and drying, drying out quickly or drying out slowly. And then when it gets fairly dry to the touch and gets a little dry on the surface, then your water. Yeah, but try to manage your watering like that and eventually you will develop a schedule. Basically, you just don't want to do every other day for twenty minutes each, No, you don't need to do that. You just need to do it when it's needed. Now, there are sprinter timers also. When we install these that connect to the weather Service and shut it down when it's going to rain, gotch and also when it gets through a windy it'll shut it down, et cetera, et cetera. So they're smart timers can run it. I'll set it my den and so my flowers need water and it'll water them.
Speaker 1: Hit me out a little.
Speaker 3: People people kind of like these. Some people are real tech savvy. They really enjoy that. And some people I don't want that.
Speaker 1: They don't want it at all.
Speaker 3: I don't want it at all.
Speaker 1: But they still work.
Speaker 3: It's just a regular timer, but it kind of knows when the weather's going to happen, and it's the whole idea behind these is to try to save water. I mean, we don't need to water every single day and have all the water run down into the ditch and down to the drain back into the river then whatever, So you don't You just want to water judicially and water properly and try to respond to the environment. Really Now, they also have raine sensors which are really good, and freeze sensor. Free sensors are very important, very because it will get cold one of these days and you don't want to have your sprinkler system run at three am and walk out the front door and trip and fall on your briefcase and have the wind blow all your documents away.
Speaker 1: No, you don't want No, what wants that? Nobody wants that. Nobody wants to lose their briefs elarry really.
Speaker 3: So so anyways, so do some kind of sense or just be aware of it, you know, just say, okay, I'm going to turn this thing off for a while. I don't need the water. And as your grass becomes more savage, the more distance time apart, you want to water. You want those richs to go deep down into the soil. So they do that. You don't want them to live on the shallow step.
Speaker 1: You don't want to say, hey, babe.
Speaker 3: You might also consider a drip system. I utilize that at home, a drip system, and it works very well. I even have hanging pots on that drip system and it comes on every day at six o'clock for the pots, but nothing else. The other subject to rain and all this other stuff, or just manual watering, but they run. The pots are dependent on that. They run. It's basically every day. So you can have a hanging pots up with the drip tube and so on. I put it in the guttering and let it come out each one. You really don't see too much of it from inside the house. So there are a lot of ways of water. And also when you're doing water, make sure your contractor does his math and gets because these sprinter nozzles they have a specific PSI ranges where they're effective. And if you have too much water pressure and jazz, you get a lot of aerosol. So you want to keep you want to design your system based on that so you don't have a lot of steam myst coming out. You want that to go in your yard in the atmosphere, right, and I see someone you go down the street and they're just shooting water and just half of it's going up to the to the clouds to come down as rain injured neighbor's yard. They did come out with some moisture sensors. I tried them out on a project and they still need to work on those a little bit.
Speaker 1: Still not quite really to be corrosions real bad on me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, Well, it takes a bimetallic or two different metals to generate a current based on the moisture, and they decomposed real quickly. So they're coming along with a moisture sensors. But right now we just use environmental cause and effect to regulate the water.
Speaker 2: Very good, Very good. All right, We're gonna take another break. We'll be it's a eight fifty three. We'll be back after this two minute time out.
Speaker 4: Ascension. Saint John Cardiology is a leader in hard care. From complex procedures to routine screenings. Our cardiologists care for hearts all over the region using the latest advancements in cutting edge technology. Your care teams listen to you and deliver the heartcare that's right for you. Closer to home. Make Ascension Saint John your choice for regular heartcare and your most urgent cardiac emergencies. Find the cardiologist who's right for you at Ascension dot org, slash st John Hart.
Speaker 8: Jane Phillips and Bartlesville.
Speaker 15: Back in the early nineteen thirties, Frank and Jane Phillips hosted a wonderful party at their lodge home at Willarock. For this special party, Frank hired the world famous magician Harry Blackstone to provide the entertainment for the large crowd. Throughout the evening, Blackstone amazed the guests with his card tricks and sleight of hand, with the crowd applauding and laughing as the tricks got better and better. Finally, Blackstone asked Jane Phillips to step forward. He reached into his coat and removed a new deck of cards and dramatically unwrapped them. Removed the cards from the deck and shuffle them several times. He then asked missus Phillips to cut the cards, which she did, pulling the Queen of Spage, which she showed to the crowd. She put the card back into the deck and Blackstone carefully shuffled the cards two or three times, then suddenly spun around and threw the entire deck of cards into the wall of the lodge, just to the left of the front door. Fifty one cards fell to the floor and the Queen of Spades stuck on the wall, where it still remains today, a perfect example of the magic of Willarock. Come see it for yourself and welcome home to Willarock.
Speaker 2: Depend on K one A fourteen and ninety three point three for locally sourced news, weather and sports. Two went from work and everything in between. K one the one you trust.
Speaker 1: Welcome back to the Green Country Gardener Program.
Speaker 2: It is an eight to fifty five and a half seventy seventygrees is a little bit of overcast at this point, and our telephone number to reach Larry glass Are Expert today is one eight hundred seven nine three six on the Green Country Gardener Program, which you got.
Speaker 3: We didn't discuss our trade of the week yet, No, we didn't. The emerald arborvite emerald arbor vitae.
Speaker 1: I get to feeling these things kind of go up and down.
Speaker 3: It's yeah, it's that green green plant, fairly dark green and actually fairly dense growing for an arborvity actually, and at a small tray or evergreen shrub kind of well seited for the loose border style of a privacy screen. A lot of people plant in a row like that to block things off. Yeah, and they get about three feet water, so twenty feet tall on their on their growth, and they I make a good backdrop, so fifteen to twenty feet four to six of spread to make excellent screen to grow iterat of about four feet per year.
Speaker 1: Oh that's getting up there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so you won't be one hundred years old when the thing's sure. When they're young, they have a bright green color and it's darkened to as the plant ages. In other words, that's a real dark, lush green color to its cures immatures. Yeah, anyway, we it's often a little trimming might be necessary, but generally it's not needed. You need to give them room to grow and develop. They need to have a space where they grow in the bellow, and they go naturally into a somewhat paramidal shape over time. It's kind of narrow when they're young, but they kind of like like everything, yeah, kind of broaden out of the middle.
Speaker 1: As I hear you. You need to look at me when you say broad. I have ready at clear.
Speaker 3: Anyway, advantage in the mist as they will grow and basically ordinary soil. They will grow in alkaline soil, and they're hardy and zones three through seven, so they're hardy pretty far up north. The emerald green arborvietry prefers full sun to thrive and they are performed best in areas with high atmospheric moisture, which is humid here, so I know my sweat planets can attest to that.
Speaker 10: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Anyway, this is grown for kind of like a narrow upright screen. A few years back we had a cold spell. It got down to I think four or five hundred degrees below zero. I think it was here for that, yeah, yeah, I think it was absolute zero. Well, the people who didn't water them, they got knocked out. Yeah, so if if you do plant emerald iverybody and there is a real cold spill coming on, you might want to go ahead and water it so it'll stay alive. It knocked out a a whole bunch here intown.
Speaker 1: I saw someone Madison. It didn't do too good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And the last three we had a cold spiale couple years ago. Some of them made it. Most of them made it, though probably a substitute right now will be the the tailor juniper. The tailor juniper is a narrow, narrow, upright growing juniper plant, resembling the Italian cypress, and it's used for kind of an informal screen, not much of a not much of a heavy screen, but kind of an implied sprint to screen, if you will. It's also used for specimen interest. We use it at the corner houses and things like that because it does resemble the Italian cypress. With if you've been to Las Vegas, they're all over this and that's pretty well. And a customer actually brought in a picture of bagworms on his tailor jennifer, which is very very uncommon. But because they're so small and narrow that they don't have a you have much of a problem with them, and the armor vio. He does have a problem with bagworms too as well. That seems across the platform as far as these plants that have a resonance. So anyway, come by the nursery and stick out and see what we have. We have still have a great selection of annuals. There's a good selection of perennials, hummingbird plants. We got to the lantanas and all that stuff for hummingbirds too, and a great selection of shrubs and trees and so on. And we can come out your health, to your house and help you out with a problem. So Tom, keep your shovel sharp. We will see you next week.
Speaker 15: Truity credit Union a better way to bank where members always come first. Experienced the credit union difference today Truity see U