Speaker 1: You're listening to episode sixty four of GameSpot after Dark. This week, we're joined by Cirio Vasquez to talk about amnesia, rebirth, hades, and fasmophobia. Hello and welcome to episode sixty four of game Spot after Dark. I'm your host Jake Decker, and joining me this week is Lucy James Ay, Kelly Plaguey Hello, and Sirial Vasquez. Hello. Thank you so much for joining us.
Speaker 2: I'm glad to be here.
Speaker 1: Before we get into what we've been playing, we like to do the Chris from Dayton, Ohio segment, but Up Up, Up Christ, that's our little song. So basically, this is just an opportunity for you to tell our listeners a little bit about yourself. What kind of games you like to play, what games you come back to, what are some of your favorite games. In fact, it doesn't even have to be about games, if there's other stuff you want to talk about, and maybe a little bit about how you got into the industry and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so I've been kind of writing kind of back and forth. I was a former gaming former associate editor, but I've been doing you know, freelance basically before and after just writing about you know, random video games, but a lot of it is just like I end up falling down like a lot of fighting game and DODA stuff because I a lot of people weren't covering that at the time, So you know, I have like almost four thousand hours of DODA logged at this point.
Speaker 2: So that was mostly.
Speaker 3: Launched my career in a way because it was no one was writing about DODA, and it was like kind of a lot of people saw it as, oh, you know esports, right, you can write about esports. That's popular. So that's kind of how I got my foot in the door. So yeah, then I started writing about fighting games as well, but I'm more mostly like an action heavy kind of guy. But it's also weird because like every once in a while I'll sneak in like a really cool, like story based game, like right now, I think Kentucky About Zero is probably my favorite game this year.
Speaker 2: And then.
Speaker 3: So every once in a while and like this School Easim I really like last year. So it's kind of a mix between like really like really intense games. I like games that are like all about story or all about action in a way. So that's sort of where I'm at. Like a lot of dark soul stuff I'm really into. So that's sort of where I'm at.
Speaker 1: Well, this is a disco Elysium podcast. I would say at least it was last year, because that's like all we talked about every episode.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that game's great. I love it.
Speaker 1: You're also a frequent host on mid max too, right, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do a podcast over at mid Max, So we do a podcast every week, and we do some streams as well, So I talk about games on there as well, So you can find me there at YouTube dot com slash mid Max Show I believe is the u r L. Or to support us on Patreon because we're in independent media, So Patreon dot com slash Midmax I believe is the u r L.
Speaker 1: Hell yeah, and you've been doing some reviews for us, which we'll touch on later in the what we've been playing section? Actually, why don't we just start with you what you've what have you been playing? Cereal?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so I'm still playing Hades.
Speaker 3: Several weeks later, I'm at a well, the Epic Game Store thing doesn't count ours directly, it just says days, and I'm at like five days worth of because like, I think that game does such a fantastic job of doling out rewards and having all these like quests basically like they're cult prophecies where it's like, oh, do you like get every boot, every like upgrade for every weapon, you know, every randomized buff that you can get. And so I've been kind of picking away at those, and some of the relationships with like the different gods and stuff are take a little while to figure out, so I've been I've been doing a lot of that. And there's also like the heat system, which if you've played say the Spires, kind of similar where you can apply different kind of difficulty modifiers and so and that applies like one heat per modifier, and so I'm at like around fifteen sixteen heat at this point with each of the weapons. And so I've been kind of slowly built making the runs harder and harder, and still you know, getting upgrades and stuff. So that game has a long tail for a single player game, which I'm really excited about.
Speaker 1: It seems like it people are so into it on Twitter. I haven't had a chance to play as much as i'd like, but what I played was very, very good. You mentioned that Kentucky Route Zero was your favorite game, so far this year. However, it sounds like you've played a ton of Hades. Yeah, are they like pretty neck and neck? You'd say, yeah.
Speaker 3: I oscillate between like which one I like more, because clearly I have more time in Hades, But it's you know, Kentucky Rad zero is not.
Speaker 2: A long tail game. You know, you can't just like, you know, play that over and over again.
Speaker 3: But I am considering I've played it basically one and a half times at this point because I played the episodes as they came out until episode four of Kentucky Rod zero, and then I played the whole game again when it came out on Switch, and I'm kind of thinking about okay, am I just kind of applying like roastented glasses to that game because it hit me in a really good moment and it was like right before the pandemic, so it was like kind of like the last like I really enjoy that. I'm really happy right now. I'm having a lot of fun because that was also like I went to Japan earlier this year, and that was like on the edges of that where I played it before and after my trip, so I was like, ah, I was kind of maybe on the high of of going you know, traveling abroad. So I do want to play it again. But that game, I think still is incredible.
Speaker 1: I love it totally. I didn't finish it. I still plan on going back and finishing it, but the music was so good.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and it's it was so fun to see I guess the fictional band in that game, June Bug, ended up releasing an album, I think earlier this month, I think where Yeah, and the single was like the big song that they have in the game, but they also had a bunch of other like weird ambient song cause that's that game is a lot of ambient music that is really good.
Speaker 2: But they had like a whole music video for for.
Speaker 3: Like one of their songs, because I think part of it is that, like they're this weird concept group.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I've been like that. That music. I've been enjoying all year, you know.
Speaker 3: In a way, which is maybe the closest thing to like having played one hundred hours of Hades, is I've been listening and thinking about Kentucky Road Zero basically all year.
Speaker 1: I am going to listen to that album after this podcast, for sure, because I remember playing it and there's that one scene early on where you're I think exploring a house or something like that, and the cameras zooms out and there's that band playing. Yeah. I thought it was just like an incredible moment.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the soundtrack is on Spotify and then the Junebug EP is on band camp, so you can listen to both of those basically.
Speaker 1: Nice. And then you said you've also been playing a bit of Amnesia.
Speaker 3: Too, right, Yeah, the new one, the Rebirth, which came out I believe this week, right, which, Yeah, I've been enjoying that as well. I've been a big fan of Friginal. I liked Amnesia, and then I really like So. I think Soma is amazing. I think it's one of my favorite sci fi stories in games because of the way that it uses gameplay basically to tell like an AI centric story about like consciousness and things like that. And this feels very similar in tone in that there are monsters and stuff, but kind of the the key takeaways are like story beats of like, you know, you are this person who's crash landed in the middle of Africa and you're trying to find your way to your group, but you know, there there's this mystical element to it, but you're also you find out very early on, so I don't think this is like a spoiler or anything that you're that you're pregnant. Uh, and so you're like it's a game about motherhood very explicitly, which is which is pretty rare, and like, I think it ends up leading you to these very interesting like moral quandaries about Okay, well, if you were in this situation, what would you do? And it's it's like one of the legitimately like, well, I feel like the right answer is this, but you know, if I were actually in this situation, I would maybe lean towards the kind of like the the less you know, altruistic option.
Speaker 2: So there's a lot of interesting questions that it asks.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's as good as some I think some of the monstery parts aren't as interesting. And I'm kind of surprised that they don't have the what they added to Soma post launch, which like the all the like it basically gets rid of the monsters, like they're still walking around, but you can't you can't like interact like they won't hurt you. I'm surprised that isn't here, But maybe the latter at some point, But yeah, I was really impressed with it, and I'm I'm glad to see that Frictional is able to do games like this.
Speaker 1: So would you consider Amnesia a sad mom game?
Speaker 4: A little?
Speaker 3: I mean, yeah, it's it's the the opening scenes of that game are just her talking about like vaguely, like you don't know what it's referring to about, like how kind of you know this thing like some event has ended up hurting her, like very deeply in how you don't ever really recover, you just kind of change as a person.
Speaker 2: And that felt pretty relatable.
Speaker 3: I know that there's kind of a trope of like, whenever a game is about woman, it's always about their trauma, but this feels this feels like it's approaching that topic with some nuance, and her being the main character I think also helps a lot.
Speaker 2: And she's like a voice character. It's not like you are this person it is.
Speaker 3: She has a lot of voice lens in the game, which I don't know if it's gonna I know some people don't like that, but I like it when I'm playing someone who is different and I'm kind of seeing.
Speaker 2: The world through their eyes. Versus this person is me.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I definitely prefer voice protagonists. In our Amnesia Rebirth review, Phil Hornshaw did call it a mom game.
Speaker 5: He said it was unabashedly a mom game, and that was like.
Speaker 4: Sold, because you really don't get a lot of those, you really, I've played plenty of dad games, so I'm very curious. I haven't played the previous Amnesia games though, or some Actually I kind of want to play someone now after hearing you talk about it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, like you don't.
Speaker 3: You really only need to play the Dark Descent to play Rebirth, Like there are some kind of references, but even then, if you haven't played Amnesia, I think the game just does a good job of being set in that world without kind of being about the stuff that happened. It's just like, oh, you'll catch a reference in like a diary to a character from the Dark Descent. But I don't think you need to play it. But yeah, that's the only one, because a Machine for Pig isn't like relevant to this story. It's kind of its own thing and so much pretty standalone.
Speaker 1: Wasn't Machine for Pigs also not developed by Frictional Games, or at least not the core team that did Soma and the original Amnesia.
Speaker 3: I believe it was written by the Chinese room, which who did Dear Esther. Yeah yeah, so yeah, I think like all of those games. I think, like starting with MUG because I know they made like Panumbra, I think was the games they made before that. I haven't played those, but starting from MG, I think Frictional has a pretty strong track record, so I think all of their games are pretty good.
Speaker 1: Nice. I definitely want to check it out. I have not finished any of those games, however, I've enjoyed all of them, but so many. In particular is one that I've been meaning to get back to and finish because that setting I thought was excellent. I mean, they're always good at creating dark and scary atmospheres. But yeah, I'm excited to check it out. Lucy, you've been watching more bake Off. How's that going?
Speaker 6: Bacoff remains the light of twenty twenty, That's how that's going.
Speaker 5: I mean, I was gonna say, like, the.
Speaker 6: Only game I've been playing is I played twenty something hours of Persona five Royal in a week. Hell yeah, I'm in Like, well, it's because now it's all new stuff.
Speaker 1: For me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, wow, So what hour are you at?
Speaker 1: I guess, like when did the new stuff start rolling out? Because I'm curious when that'll be. So I'm at.
Speaker 5: Fifty five hours. I got the broken There is a there is a fight.
Speaker 6: In that game that is fully broken, and like the only way to get past it is you have to play on merciless difficulty. So I was like, I was the perfect level for this boss fight, Like I was the same level as the boss, which usually for the rest of Royal is completely fine. You can actually do stuff, mostly being under leveled, but this boss fight requires you to knock down like four enemies in one go in one turn and if you don't, no in two turns sorry, And if you don't do that, then the enemies that are left run away and then it starts again, so you can get caught in this loop if you if you know, like we're bad on Maboufu.
Speaker 5: It's a margarula.
Speaker 6: You don't have wind and so even though I had more Gana and my party, even though I had Joker with a wind persona, like, it just didn't because it's meant to be the fight that promotes you using baton pass and the only way to do it.
Speaker 5: Is to do un merciless difficulty.
Speaker 6: If you get in that weird stuck loop that I was in and I was so I did that, and I was like, that's a.
Speaker 1: Bit of shit.
Speaker 5: But so I'm at fifty five hours now, I'm still at the.
Speaker 6: Like it's it's still a palace from the main game, but they've the introduction of all the new characters. I've just had a new sequence with the school dance that maybe wasn't done as elegantly as I'd hoped, because it's meant to be like this, this part in the story that you go with the new character consue me and so she invites you to go to this dance and then you're like, oh, the dances finished, I better go home, And then you get a text from Haru that says, hey, the dancers just started.
Speaker 5: Let's go.
Speaker 1: Oh weird.
Speaker 5: But still very good. But bakeoff Al also played some Ghost of Sushima Legends, which is very fun. Did you play with a friend of the podcast, Andrew Goldford?
Speaker 1: I did not.
Speaker 6: I played with friend of the podcast Zach Ryan and Kristin Vandier and Josh Do we did. We did a couple and it's really fun. And also I'm not one for a destiny type luke grind, but the way that it's a very similar approach in ghost but I found it very very fun. I'm obviously maning an archer because that is my yeah, but bakeoff very quick one bake off update.
Speaker 5: This is your bake off in it Jesus Christ. The first the first. So I'm not gonna spoil who went or anything, but.
Speaker 6: The fact that the first challenge from last week was making brownies, and every single one of them biffed it, right, every single one of them biffed it because they all tried to go like, way too complicated with it. They could have just done standard brownies and it would have been fine. Some of them were undercooked. One of them had figs on, which looked interesting. I've become a real backseat babe.
Speaker 5: Bit stargy bit stargy bit. One of them was just fully undercooked. It just looked like liquid.
Speaker 3: Was the person who put figs? Is that how they biffed it? They said no figs in brownies under no circumstances.
Speaker 5: No, that wasn't even a biff. It was just I think I can't remember for theirs did they do gluten free?
Speaker 6: That's the glute. It's the gluten free guy. And so my I used to live with someone who was gluten free, and gluten free flower is just really difficult to work with because it's obviously doesn't have gluten in it, so it's like some of the stuff is frequently quite dry. You have to really adapt your cooking to make up for the dryness of it. I'm speaking, I'm talking out my ass because I'm a terrible cook, but that's all my experience with gluten free. But no, bakof was really good. And also, I mean my picks are the two marks I love. I love the marks Mark with a Sea, who is a kearr and in my eyes an srang human being. And Mark with a k who is like just bizarrely well traveled, like he is a very international man anyway mystery.
Speaker 1: No, it's quite like.
Speaker 5: He's not very mysterious.
Speaker 6: He just like knows stuff about like tribes in Africa and brings that into his cooking and stuff.
Speaker 5: It's very good anyway, that's bakeoff well.
Speaker 1: Kelly and I have both been playing a lot of fasmophobia with Matt Paget and the great Peter Brown.
Speaker 4: Oh, yes, it has been quite the time. Have we talked about fastmophobia on the podcast yet we have?
Speaker 1: We haven't. I'm excited to talk about it because I've been having a ton of fun with it. It's janky, it's buggy. It makes a lot of people sick as well, because including Lucy. But there's something about it.
Speaker 4: We should say it's an early excess, so the jankiness is part of the course. But yeah, the I've gotten pretty motion sick playing. We were playing the other night and I died, and I when you die, you go into like ghost World and you can walk around and like.
Speaker 5: See stuff, and sometimes you can see the ghost that's haunting.
Speaker 4: You, but you can't like interact with your team if you're using like in game chat, and so I was just walking around ghost World. And then after we finished that game, I was like, guys, I need to go. Oh I don't, I can't do this. And I was at a commission for like half an hour. I had to lie down and then I rejoined and it was like Peter's last game, and I was like, well, nice playing with you for one game.
Speaker 5: I'm ready to play an.
Speaker 1: I guess we should talk about what Fasmophobia is for the people listening may not know, but it's basically a ghost hunting game, except you don't really hunt the ghost. You just need to figure out what ghost is haunting the building that you're infiltrating, I guess, And you have a bunch of tools that you can use to help you find clues. Once you find three clues, you mark them in your journal and you'll know what ghost it is. And then you even get paid and you can level up by new gear and so on. I think what makes it so good is how well it works with friends and how the scares are pretty unpredictable. I won't say it's the scariest game I've played. It's probably nowhere near that, just because it's kind of cheesy and it gets away with like a lot of jump scares and stuff. But the way it works to the team, in the way it's so unpredictable, makes it incredibly addicting.
Speaker 4: Yeah, the like we've definitely gotten scared, like totally. Maybe you spend like the first like five or ten minutes like setting up like setting up a camera so you can view stuff for like sweeping the house, because you have all these tools that it's really interesting the way the tools work. It's not really like in a video game sense, like the tools that you have just kind of work the way they would in real life. So there's like a remote that's like an EMF reader and it reads like EMF traces and you just walk around the house until the beeps and you're like the ghost is nearby, and that's when you start setting up your gear. And it's like Matt Pagett was like he and I watched The Conjuring together over like Zoom or will Discord because he had never seen it, and I love The Conjuring, so I was like, let's watch it. So when Fasmophobia like started getting attention, he was like, Kelly, we're gonna play ed Lorraine Warren and we're gonna hunt some ghosts. So I like setting up the camera because it's like in The Conjuring, but like last night, like just to because like Jake said, like some of the ghosts look kind of like cheesy or whatever, but the way the hauntings happen is what gets really exciting. Like we were just waiting around, we were in this house and we had had a really hard night, like not telling we were like having a really hard time telling what ghosts were around. We were not getting evidence very easily. We're playing on harder difficulties than we usually do. And I was just getting impatient, and everybody else was in the truck outside the house, They're like safe, and I was like, I was just gonna go in and see if I can get anything. And like the second I came, went in, the door locks behind me, and I see the ghost walking and I was trying to get photos of it. So I'm like snapping photos and like shaking, and I can hear Matt Pagett outside being.
Speaker 5: Like Cali, hide in the closet, Hide in the closet. It's coming.
Speaker 4: So I ran to the closet and I just turned my flashlight off and I sat there and like they're waiting outside. They can't tell if I've died or not, because walkie talkies don't work when this is happening, so they're just like waiting outside, like maybe Kelly's dead.
Speaker 5: Maybe she's dead. And I'm sitting in the cloak. Oh God, I can hear it moving outside and so but it was just like this weird. It looks like a thing made of like Plato or something like.
Speaker 1: It was just like, yeah, it was like that little child looking ghost.
Speaker 4: Like tiny little baby ghost walking around, but like the atmosphere of it all and like everybody freaking out and I can hear them through the walls being like, don't move, Kelly, and so that that makes it like really fun and exciting. And then I also I tweeted about this, but I I laughed, and Matt.
Speaker 5: Was like, oh my god, did you guys hear that ghost? And I was like, no, that's just me. That's just me because I have a witch laugh.
Speaker 1: To be fair, it was because the how the proximity chat works and just how proximity chat works, Like we were very far uh and Callie had laughed, but they were so far away that they just heard a faint laugh in the distance.
Speaker 5: We were playing.
Speaker 6: So I played on Sunday with Tam and our friend Andy and we were just in Discord, so we didn't have the proximity stuff going on.
Speaker 5: Because it was my first game, and I had the little radio. I think, oh no, the spirit box.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Jean won't use that, won't take it. It scares him too much as well.
Speaker 6: It's my first game and I am given this, and then there's a point where I had to play, like I turned all of my lights off, I closed my blinds, I did the full thing. And then we get to a bit we're near a piano. Someone starts talking through the thing and they go, oh, okay, well, in order to do this, Lucy, we're gonna have to leave you in here with all the lights off.
Speaker 5: They leave, and I don't even know what it was, but it spooked me so bad. It's like, guys, I want to leave.
Speaker 1: How do I run?
Speaker 5: And they're like, oh, shift or whatever, and I was like, it's this ship.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it does nothing.
Speaker 5: It does barely anything. It's just a power walk.
Speaker 4: The spirit box is so like for context, it's like a way to like channel the spirit and it's one of the tools you use to get evidence. And yeah, the person who uses it has to be alone in the room with all the lights off, and you have to go like, can you hear us? Where your friends give us a sign? And then the ghost will like play the piano or something and you're like by yourself, or.
Speaker 1: It'll just say kill on the speaker and it's.
Speaker 3: Like is there?
Speaker 5: It is?
Speaker 1: And everyone hears it too, and they're like we heard it. We heard it, put it in your journal, Put in your journal, Let's get out of here.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it only says like one word through the spirit box, and it's always like at teck like in this like horrible like robot.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I'm I'm I'm having a blast with that game. I'm curious to see how long I'll stick with it because I think Steam artists I've played twenty hours, which is far more than I already exped Yeah, we started put last week. I know I've been playing a lot, but like, I'm excited to see what they do with it because I feel like there should be more tools that give you evidence, especially on the tougher difficulties, because there are a lot of tools you can buy that kind of don't really serve much of a purpose apart from just giving you more information about where the ghost might be. And then I also am eagerly awaiting more maps because we've played them all by now at least six or seven times, and it works because the ghost is always in a different room. You're dealing with a different ghost. Like it's still pretty unpredictable, but like loading into that cabin for like the twentieth time is like, all right, I know how this cabin works. I've explored it, I know where to go, I know where to hide, and it kind of takes some of the edge off I would say, which, which you know, is not what I want in a horror game.
Speaker 3: Yeah, hearing people talk about fast and Phobia is kind of cool because like it feels like this weird emergent horror game where everyone's kind of making their own scares kind of. It also kind of reminds me of the uh the Vine where they're talking about, like where they're all around a wiki board and they're like, what's your name? And it slides over to and everyone starts fighting each other because like I guess they just.
Speaker 4: Yeah, that's one of my all time favorite vines. I love that vine so much. There are Oigi boards in this game, but you don't bring them with you. Sometimes you find them in the house. We actually had a horrific time with one of the Oigi boards because there's like a sanity meter in Fasmophobia, and like using it drops your sanity like really rapidly, and like the lesser demon unless it's a demon, but the lower your sanity gets, like the more the ghost will like bother you. But we were like over the Ouiji board and it was like in this weird It was just like in a laundry room. So we're all crowded around this Swuiji board in like a really small room and we're like how old are you? And it goes too it's fourteen and we were like, oh god.
Speaker 5: And then matt Us, where are you? And it spills out foyer and Jake's.
Speaker 1: Like where is that?
Speaker 5: All the all the boys are like where is that? Where's that was like the entrance of the.
Speaker 2: House, like what's a foyer?
Speaker 5: What would you do without me?
Speaker 4: But the ghost showed up like in the laundry room and we all were like get out of here.
Speaker 5: Oh god.
Speaker 4: So yeah, just in conclusion, it's a lot of fun and I enjoyed a lot. And I like proximity Chat because it's pushed to talk so you guys can't hear my horrible horse noise that I make when I get scared.
Speaker 1: One other thing I do want to mention is that the character animations are kind of busted, and that like when you look down, your whole torso goes down, and when you look up, your whole torso goes back and it is. It might be one of the scariest things in the game, but it is. It makes for some good laughs, like if you look up and crouch. I don't know, at the very least, like if you're too afraid to play it, loaded up with a friend and just look at that because it is.
Speaker 4: Yeah, we like ease each other, like where the girl from the Exorcists going down the stairs. Oh. Another thing that we should mention is that the tutorial is horrible. The titorial is so bad we couldn't figure it out. Like, like, just be patient if you're playing it for the first time, like go through this tutorial because it does introduce you to like the key tools, but like it's not gonna it's not great.
Speaker 5: You're just gonna have to do some trial and error.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I do have a video that I'm working on that should hopefully help you out on that end.
Speaker 5: But I worked on the article version and.
Speaker 1: Keli worked on the article, which is that up now? Yeah okay, so yeah, check that out if you wanna, if you want to give it a shot, because that will help a lot.
Speaker 4: The last thing I wanted to mention is that the Pokemon the second DC for Sword and Shield Crown Tenders out today as of this recording, so I'm gonna be playing that and checking that out as as you might have expected of me, So I'll hope come on, I'll have more later.
Speaker 1: All right. Well, with that, we'll head onto topics. And moving on to topics for this week, the first one that we're going to talk about is AOC streams among us. Callie, you were very excited. You watched a lot of it. I watched a good amount too, but you were very into it.
Speaker 4: I yeah, I like almost didn't watch it. I was kind of like, because I've been so disillusioned with everything and just sad all the time, and I was kind of like, what if I just didn't And then.
Speaker 5: I was like, no, no, no, no, I'll watch it. I'll give it a shot.
Speaker 4: And I actually found her really like genuine and charming, not that like I didn't think she would be, but like I was more delighted by it than I thought I would be. It was kind of like, oh, a politician who actually, like who isn't doing this just as a ploy, but like actually understands this world.
Speaker 5: More than most.
Speaker 4: And Michael Hyam wrote a really good article about this, Like, you know, it's not something that I would want to see basically any other politician do, but it works for her because I mean she's established that she is interested in video games. She's talked about playing League Donkey hung sixty four with Yeah, with h mom Er guy, So it just felt like a natural extension of that. She also does a lot of stuff on Instagram Live and so that's very streaming adjacent. And I just like it was like the first time in a really long time where I was like, oh my god, I think this is what it's like to not have depression. I was like really just really psyched and like having a great time. And when she was like I hate being the impostor. I don't want to be the imposter, I was like, that's me. And then she got the impostor and I was like no, Like I was just I was like right there with her the whole time, like, no, girl, you can do it. She's playing with all these people who have a ton of experience in the game. I also was very delighted by ilhan Omar like being like I don't know how to play and then like subsequently killing like everybody that rig as well the rising, so there was some confusion about that.
Speaker 5: It wasn't actually it's not her PC.
Speaker 4: It's for her like communications directors, I think, but posting the specs, I was like.
Speaker 5: That PC is like leagues ahead of my PC. I need a new one.
Speaker 4: And it was also really cool like when her daughter joined, because her daughter like knew what the fuck was up. And when Corpse joined, that was like a whole thing. I didn't I was not ready for that. When he called, he called a meeting and he was like AOC, like in a super deep voice, and she was like what, I didn't do anything, and he's.
Speaker 5: Like, how's your day?
Speaker 4: And everybody was just like I just oh, it was so nice to feel joy for once.
Speaker 5: I really I really.
Speaker 4: Can't emphasize enough like it was just kind of it was like, Wow, somebody who kind of understands the world that I'm in. Not that I'm like we need a gamer president, but like just he's already running, yeah, Ace Watkins or whatever, Yeah, Like that's that's not what I mean. I just mean like, like, this is someone who can like say what she feels. The whole point was like to talk about voting. She was like making fun of the like combustion engine on the ship, which like I had never thought about, but I liked that a lot. She had like her Green New Deal posters in the background. I just found it very like, very very good, and I'm not articulating it well at all, but I came cracking right back down to Earth the next day.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it was just nice to see someone who like, hopefully that this is like a new generation of politicians where they don't have to meet with their staff to ask what a Facebook is, you know, because you were like, if you think back to the other big kind of convergence of tech and politics, it was like those those meetings that Facebook and Google had about like, you know, are you destroying America? And they're like we run ads like and like how much those meetings centered on what Facebook was and them understanding that, I think, even being able to start that conversation from like Okay, I know you're not gonna, you know, pull the wool over us because we understand what you're doing, and seeing someone like AOC like in Congress, as someone who understands that stuff and that this is like another outlet for that, like she understands, she understands like what is happening in tech more so than a lot of politicians, and in a way that feels more genuine than like if someone much older were to have done that. So that was nice to see that. It's like there's some bit of comfort in that there's that headline.
Speaker 1: Well, there's lots of headlines with Rudy Giuliani in it right now, but there was that headline saying that Rudy Giuliani owns three phones and doesn't know how to use any of them, according to like his staffers or something like that. And I think I saw it right after I was watching AOC stream and it was like, yeah, I think I'm tired of these kind of politicians.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I mean, I think there's a lot of conversations happening right now about the age of our politicians. And you know, I don't think age necessarily precludes anyone from anything, but like the average age of an American is like, I think, like thirty seven or something, in the average age of our politicians is like seventy or whatever, and you have there's a big disconnect because technology evolves so rapidly that there's a lot of things that we can keep up with that you know, they just can't, and it's very discouraging when people feel that out of touch and you look at like we were talking to Matt Paget, who's Canadian, and we were like, are your politicians like ninety how old are How.
Speaker 5: Old are the people who run your country? And he was like, I don't know, like forty were.
Speaker 6: Like, oh no, like fifty, well, I mean Bars is in his fifties. But then like the rest of Parliament and public sixty plus.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: And you know, another thing about the streaming platform or not streaming platform, but like format, is that you do get to see how somebody reacts in an unfamiliar situation, because you know, she hadn't really played much among us, and she adapted so quickly, and when they were talking about like, oh, AOC doesn't know how to vent, it couldn't have been AOC. And then she was like, I got to learn how to vent because they won't suspect me. And then she like figured it out watching her do the task like she was doing, like the difficult tasks like in one go very naturally, and it's just nice to see someone adapting on the fly like that, being comfortable in a new situation, being comfortable like with experts, like she's an expert in what she does and they're an expert in this thing that she's doing right now, and she didn't seem intimidated. So I find all of those qualities really admirable. And yeah, I was just like over the moon. I was like, I I.
Speaker 5: For once, I don't want to move to another country. That's nice.
Speaker 1: Lucy, did you watch it at all or did you just catch highlights?
Speaker 5: I just caught highlights.
Speaker 6: For me, I have a lot of anxiety around the election in general, because as a person who is here on a visa and can't vote, it's a yeah, it's.
Speaker 5: Very anxiety inducing. But I did. I basically watched all the Corps highlights. No, everything I saw from OOC.
Speaker 6: She just seemed really, really wonderful and just like like Kelly was saying, like someone who's relatable in a position of power, which is something that's quite rare. Yeah, just a quick aside on Corpse. I The thing is I hope that she looked up who he is.
Speaker 5: Well he's messaged her or he he tweeted her like if AOC follows me back, you know, and she replied, so maybe basically the corpse. Corpse is basically just like a dude who reads like spooky stories and stuff on YouTube.
Speaker 6: But he has a really really deep voice that is just like it's captivating. Is the only what I could really describe as.
Speaker 4: Like when he joined the server, AOC like like you could see it in her face. She was like, what is this man's voice?
Speaker 6: He joined TikTok and all of the girls. He uploaded a video of his hand and I don't even think he said anything, and TikTok just exploded.
Speaker 4: Gets like one point five million lights. It's it's just it's a song he wrote about girls and that's playing over the footage of his goth ass hand. It was like bracelets and rings and stuff, and yeah, people really lost it. So that was an interesting twist, an interesting wrinkle.
Speaker 1: Next big thing we have here is well, I don't know if it's big, but a lot of people are talking about it right now. Is Tom Holland. Is we finally got a photo of Tom Holland in the Uncharted movie. He's wearing a brown shirt. I have not cared about this Uncharted movie since, like I don't know, twenty fifteen or whenever. I don't know what's going on.
Speaker 5: I didn't even know this happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, they're on like this second to last day of shooting.
Speaker 5: I didn't even realize it was in full production. I guess, I guess I heard that they were.
Speaker 6: But it just seems so weird to me that people are even shooting things at all right now. I think the only movie who's shooting schedule I've been keeping up with it's been The Batman, just because of the chaotic energy of Robert Banks. I mean honestly, like, I'll watch it, but I feel like it's gonna be one of those movies where it'll be written by one person and then an ampersand with two people, and then they'll be an and written all out. It's like just rewrites on rewrites on rewrites, and like, I find it very funny that originally Marky Mark was supposed to be Drake and now he's playing Sully. I guess this film has been in development.
Speaker 4: I don't I don't know what like most of those words mean. I've never played Uncharted, and I I really I just don't care.
Speaker 6: So you should play like a Lost Legacy, because that is two badass bitches just searching for treasure and actually having conversations. It struck me when I played Lost Legacy, it was like the way that they have a conversation, it feels like an actual conversation that women would have and not a conversation that men feel like women would have. It's very good and also Claudia Black is phenomenal serial Do you have any interest in this uncharted movie?
Speaker 3: It's more it's mostly martageous to see what happens because I'm actually like, I'm a pretty big Tom Tom Holland fan, but so I'm curious to see how what he brings to the role, like it is being pissed as like he's like a young Nathan Drake, right, this is supposed to be like an origin story kind of thing.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious to see what they do.
Speaker 3: And I'm like interested in seeing what not a dog kind of like what their role is in this because i feel like they're much more involved with the Last of Us show that HBO is producing, which I think is still happening. So I'm wondering I'm curious about, like what is the difference between like them working with a major studio about like, Okay, here's what we like, here's what you can kind of play fast and loose with, and here's what we have to have in a non charted movie. And how when you know Neil Druckman, who I think he's more directly involved in the show the Last of a Show, I'm curious to see what the difference between those two things are because they are probably going to come out pretty close to each other, maybe like a year or two apart, just to see what, like the studio production is. But it's weird to see, you know, this comfortble circle is like, here's a movie based on a game that isn't like in large part inspired by movies to see like, okay, does it actually have sure like the magic of what, like you know, the Anna Jones movies, or does it just feel completely different and than those movies just because of like something was lost in translation totally.
Speaker 1: I mean, I'm curious too about the Last of Us show, right because I feel like, wasn't that originally supposed to be a movie and Neil Druckman had written the script a long time ago and then we kind of didn't hear anything about it, and then the Last of Us two happened, and like didn't hear anything about it, and then like what Shortly before the Last of Us two came out, they announced that they were doing an HBO series with the Last of Us And then yeah, like you're saying.
Speaker 6: Gigs ah, dude, the guy who wrote to Noble, Oh, yeah, he's doing the Last of Us show.
Speaker 5: So I am significantly more interested in that one.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean too.
Speaker 4: I just like, I think part of what makes the Last of Us work though, is the fact that you play it, because I think on paper it's.
Speaker 5: Just the road right like if if not like.
Speaker 4: Particularly outstanding, it's it's the interactivity that makes it what it is. So I'm not I don't know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I actually I'm kind of curious to see, like what people who don't play a lot of games but watch a lot of movies think about because this has always been like, well, there's always been like this weird thing of like, well, this is good for a game, but if it were a movie then I don't know if it would get as much of a past story wise. So I'm wondering, like with Neil direct and be more directly involved in the show, is are people who are like more in line with like I watch a lot of TV stuff, and I know, like you know, good storytelling in TV shows, how that would measure up versus you know, like to have that analogy be more direct. I think it's going to be interesting.
Speaker 1: Before we move on to listener questions. GameSpot Extra Life GameSpot staff will be doing our annual seventy two hour stream of Palooza starting November twentieth at twelve pm Pacific. We'll be streaming with various members of game Spot staff and friends to help raise money for uc SF Benioff Children's Hospital. You can check out our extra Life page at tiny dot, cc slash gs Extra Life twenty twenty. We will be updating it with more details, such as a schedule closer to the event. But that's not all this year. We want to get the community more involved if you're interested in streaming. If you're interested in streaming yourself under the banner of team GameSpot, you can join by visiting tiny dot, cc slash gs Extra Life Team. You can stream anytime you want during the month of November. We'll be coordinating with community streams in the discord, so make sure to join if you haven't already. We look forward to making this Extra Life one of our best ones yet with the help of all you wonderful folks. Once again, I had to read John Luke's text because I knew I would forget something otherwise. But if you're interested, feel free to DM myself for Lucy or John Luke or to more on on what's it called? What's the social media site? Twitter? Twitter? Yeah, thatsite dot com, hellsite dot com and we will get you in there. You can just email after Dark Podcast at GameSpot dot com and I will send you a link and get you right in there. But yeah, with that, let's move on listener questions, and we're back with listener questions. As I said before, if you have any questions, you can email us at after Dark Podcast at GameSpot dot com, or you can join our discord. This first question here comes from v Tour on discord, Cali. Do you want to read this one?
Speaker 5: Yes?
Speaker 4: Okay, So question regarding the new game prices, with games of next Gen going to be around seventy dollars retail and here in Europe sometimes as high as seventy five euros, do you think that this change is going to affect a lot of game sales numbers? From my perspective, it will just make me even more selective on the titles that I choose and regarding console versions. It seems that disc is still very viable. Is still a very viable option given the trading and reselling factor. What are your thoughts on that? Honestly, this price change just makes game Pass look like an even better deal. Cheers guys, and stay face. I don't know what stay faced means, but sank thank you.
Speaker 1: I was thinking it meant. Are they meant to say stay safe?
Speaker 5: Stay safe? Stay face?
Speaker 1: But also like, I don't know, stay faced, your composure possible.
Speaker 6: That I don't know that you know, it could be I mean, it could be some European slang, you know, could be to do I have to do a lot of translating and British slang. So maybe this is just a new one. Disc is sort of of a viable option into next Gen if you buy a Series X or PlayStation five disc edition.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Yeah, I would not call it very viable given that the more affordable options for both consoles are disc loss. I also don't think you really get a whole lot from trading in a game or reselling it, so like I wouldn't really bank on that. I do think it does make game Pass more attractive. Yeah, I was just gonna say, I think we've talked about this a little bit on the podcast before, but our perspective on game prices is going to be a little skewed because oftentimes the biggest games, like we were going to get advanced code for from the publisher, Like in my case, like if I'm reviewing a game, like, I'm not paying for that out of pocket. So I do think like cost is always going to be a factor, like and always has been for me, Like I've always been kind of selective about what I'm going to buy because you only have so much money to spend on games and also time.
Speaker 5: But so like, I don't know.
Speaker 4: If seventy dollars versus sixty dollars is like necessarily I mean, ten dollars here and there can definitely add up, but I don't know if that's necessarily the biggest thing. I do think that game Pass is super attractive, and I think we'll get even more so.
Speaker 1: Yeah, for someone in this like in this position, I still find myself buying a lot of full price games, whether that be on Steam or Xbox PlayStation. Usually Digital. I don't know if it'll change a lot. I think the biggest thing that will happen for me is that I'll probably think twice, well I usually think twice anyway about whether or not I should buy this game unless it's something I'm very excited for. But I feel like I will probably do that more often because seventy dollars, Like it's a reasonable i'd say amount to pay considering how expensive a lot of these triple games are, but that's still I don't know, that's still ten extra dollars that I will undoubtedly be thinking about. Yeah, but I think to your point, like I think game Pass is really going to succeed with this in mind, just because you can just pay a flat fee per month, well hopefully a flat fee, and then you can access all these games, and especially with all the acquisitions that Microsoft has been doing, it makes it even more attractive, right like like with Bethesda in particular, like even if Mike Stuff does end up putting those games on another console, which I doubt, but if they do, like it's still like, oh well, there's still seventy dollars now, or if I had an Xbox, or I could just have game Pass on my Xbox, and I'll be able to play these games for much cheaper.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I also think that there's a lot of potential for games kind of being further stratified, Like waiting until something is sixty dollars is going to be like, oh, I'm waiting for the first sale versus something for fifty and forty. So I'm curious to see how developers adapt, Like how often do we see games that are seventy dollars and how often we see more games that are forty dollars because I think we're we're seeing some of those games. I think like the Crash Collection was forty dollars. I know Activision has been doing some kind of less than full price games, and I'm curious to see if developers kind of take advantage of Okay, well, like the budget games can now maybe charge fifty dollars instead of forty and people will be more amenable to that. And then but yeah, I think like game pass is going to be a thing where that's it's smart of Microsoft to lean on that more now than ever, as you know, games get more expensive and it seems like that's where things are going to go. We'll see how this first round of seventy dollars games goes. But yeah, I don't think it's like, I don't think it's going to change much about games. I think it's more about like compensating for kind of borrow time, because on the PS four and Xbox One, it definitely felt like games should be more expensive, but they're not, so like they're kind of charging you know, through other means like micro transactions and stuff.
Speaker 2: So I'm curious, Like.
Speaker 3: I don't think it's going to be a huge change in terms of what we get out of the games, but I think it's, yeah, it's kind of them doing what they have to.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, I think my biggest hope going off what you said is that we just see more variety in game prices, you know, like and we we are kind of seeing that too, right with Star Wars Squadrons, which launched at forty bucks. So I just I hope you see more of that. Like I wouldn't mind paying seventy dollars for a big triple A game if maybe like a double A game is a little bit less instead of hitting that standard sixty seventy dollars. Right, all right, next question here is from Jarrett, Lucy, do you want to take this one?
Speaker 5: Sure?
Speaker 6: My significant other doesn't love the fact that I play video games. In fact, she sees them as a waste of time. Even though I've tried to show her games that can be educational like brain age and good for physical fitness like ring Fit, she still looks at games with a bit of disdain. Any thoughts about how to show her that they can not only be good for building various skills but also a great escape from reality. Oh that's a tough one, Doozy.
Speaker 5: Jarrett, because.
Speaker 3: This is also another field where we feel maybe a little bit privileged than that you're able to justify it by saying like, oh, this is work.
Speaker 2: You know, I'm doing work by playing too much Hades.
Speaker 3: But I think maybe the best, the better pitch is less about like how it can benefit you as a human being and more about like, this is something that I This is what I do instead of like watching movies. This is my hobby, right, Like I don't, you know, I don't I can't really garden right now, and I don't build model kits or whatever other hobbies people have.
Speaker 2: I play.
Speaker 3: I play video games instead, right, And that this is like my me time. I think that's maybe your best chance for making that pitch.
Speaker 6: I mean, well, I think if you're showing games like brain Age and ring Fit, why not explore something together so you can show your partner. You know, it's kind of difficult if you're just on the outside looking in, unless it's a really story driven game or something super cinematic like maybe like a Last of Us or an Unchied or any other you know, narrative driven game where you can just kind of follow along and kind of I don't know, explore the parallels between games as a kind of storytelling vehicle. If you're playing something together, something that's co op and something that's kind of easy to get to grips with, they can maybe see, yeah, can get the reinforcement that is kind of you know, driving the the brain juice is to love gaming.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 5: My My thing is.
Speaker 4: I am reading this question for me is just kind of like, you know, at a certain point, like if the person you're with doesn't respect your hobby, Like, like I agree with Surreal that it's it's about like communicating, Like I don't think you need to get your partner to play games with you. Well, I mean, like I do think that's a good tactic if like that's something you really want to explore. But I I think just generally, like your partner should just respect what your hobbies are. And so that's what I get hung up on is, yeah, if your.
Speaker 5: Partner doesn't.
Speaker 4: It doesn't have to like games, doesn't have to understand games, but should at least respect that you like to do that. I think that's the foundation for a good relationship. Isn't a real relationship advice show? That's my main that's my main takeaway from this question is just like, yeah, I don't necessarily have a recommendation for a game to show that'll like magically cure this. I think it's a communication situation.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: I think you can also get into a bit of a trap if you're only showing them games like brain Age and things like Ring Fit of having those be the only relevant games in that discussion then because it's like, well, what is you know, for example, what is Goest of Sushima doing for you?
Speaker 2: Right?
Speaker 3: And so you start you use those as the metric, it kind of starts to skew it a little bit, so you're kind of having to justify every game by like how is it benefiting me as a human being, which is sort of why I lean to it more is like, yeah, the fact that brain age is helpful and ring fit is as well helps but that shouldn't be like the only metric that makes a game useful or good, you know.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and I don't think that every minute of your day needs to be productive. I think it's totally valid to just be like, I like it because I like it, and I and I want to do this and I don't care if it doesn't provide me with anything I like. I do think I'll use a video game example. Actually, like in the SIMS, like one of the meters you have to watch is fun, and like doing like watching TV or whatever in the SIMS like doesn't give your sim anything unless you're watching the Cooking channel, but it doesn't increase your fun if you do that, you know, it's just spending time. The way you want to spend time is an entirely valid reason. You don't have to justify it further in my opinion.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean, I think if you really want to like show off games to your significant other, maybe going down the artistic path could be good, like because because I think of a game like gre Grease gree. I never learned how to pronounce that game, but that that game was gorgeous, And I feel like, even if you're not super into games, it's hard not to look at that and have some sort of sense of wonder. Yeah, or maybe even like or is another beautiful game. But I think all in all, yeah, I definitely agree with what Kelly and Surreal are saying about about like just pitch it more as like this is kind of what I do to blow off steam, to relax, to recoup after a long day or whatever it might be. Because because that that seems totally reasonable.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I think as well, if your partner is saying that they see games as a waste of time, maybe there's an undercurrent thereof it's time not spent with me. So that's why I was suggesting, like the trying to involve them. But I agree with like I agree with Kellie that like you shouldn't like your partner shouldn't be shitting on your hobbies. I thought that's not cool. That's not a grown up thing to do. He allowed your own hobbies.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think that's a very good point though, is like it might just be a veiled way of being like I want to spend more time together. But in that case, like you could meet, like you meet in the middle and figure out what their hobbies are.
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I haven't had this problem really with like my family or anything. I've never dated anyone who didn't play video games, and like my parents play video games, so I like I have that advantage, but I do think, like, yeah, it's a communication. I would just talk to your partner.
Speaker 1: Well. Anyway, that's been episode sixty four of GameSpot After Dark. Thank you all so much for listening, and thank you guys for joining me this week. If you have any questions, you can email us at after Dark podcast at GameSpot dot com. And with that, Lucy, where can people find you and what are you working on this week?
Speaker 5: I'm on Twitter at Lucy James Games.
Speaker 6: This week Generation Next, we are talking with Michael him once again now that his series x Embogo is fully up, so we're putting your questions to him. That should be up right now. Jake, you, John Luck and I ran through some listener questions and video questions on clibern twenty seventy seven, so that should also be up and other than that, I'm dealing with my visa fun.
Speaker 1: Kelly.
Speaker 4: You can find me on Twitter at inky dojico I n k y d o j I kk oh where you can see all the puzzles I'm doing, dude, that puzzle.
Speaker 3: Puzzle, Yeah, Jesus, I.
Speaker 4: Didn't I think it would take a lot of people really reacted to that puzzle. My I did it with my mom and we just we worked on it for like two months or something. Yeah, I'm like I said, I'm working on some fasmophobia stuff just to help out, and then I'll be checking out Crown one hundred DLC for Pokemon Sword and Shield, so hopefully like I'll have some some more like you know, guide stuff and other you know, I do reviews, So planning a review for.
Speaker 1: That, yeah in Sereal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you can find me at Twitter dot com slash sireal Avascaz s U r I E L And I think auto auto complete will will do the rest hopefully at that point. But I'm also on you know, mid max with two ends. By the way, I should I should mention m I N N M A x uh. So you can find me there on Patreon and on YouTube. We're doing an anniversary stream because it's the when you're anniversary of mid Max. I want to say this Saturday. And then if you're looking for more extra left ahead of game spots, we have our own uh extra live stream the week I think one or two weeks before I think November seventh. So if you're looking to watch all the extra live streams, we're also doing one of those.
Speaker 2: And I think that's.
Speaker 5: Everything is in like Minnesota? Is that why? Yes?
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I have spelt mid Max like in a game with two ends because of multiple times, and I think I think Edit and including Kelli have even like corrected and be like, no, I know this, but I don't just my fingers do think that is?
Speaker 2: That is a compliment and I appreciate it.
Speaker 5: I also want to shout out sire L's Hades review. It was excellent.
Speaker 4: We all really enjoyed it, so if you haven't read it, definitely read it.
Speaker 5: If you want to.
Speaker 4: If the podcast didn't convince you to play Hades after hearing how many days Creal's played Hades, definitely read this review.
Speaker 1: And you can find me at Jacob Deckt And I'm working on a Fasmophobia guide, which hopefully will be up by the time this podcast goes up, but it is considerably longer than I expected. And then, like Lucy said, there's cyberpunk stuff. I think Jean Luke should have another cyberpunk lore video up suit. I don't know. I think this weekend, I think we get the.
Speaker 5: Q and A up first, and then law Cyber Saturdays.
Speaker 1: Yeah, normally they go up Saturday.
Speaker 5: I'll call it that.
Speaker 1: We don't normally they go up Saturdays. But this one has been particularly tough because A this has been this week has been madness, and B the topic he's covering there's not a lot of b roll or anything to go off of, so it's A it's been it's been a long edit. I don't envy him at all. But with that, I'll see y'all next week.
Speaker 6: M h.