Speaker 1: Texas Monthly. I want to tell you the story of a cover up, one that lasted almost sixty years, and the guy who exposed it and.
Speaker 2: Actually kind of happenstance. I was looking for something else, and that's frequently the way it is when you're doing archival work. You stumble upon something that you weren't expecting.
Speaker 1: That's James Sandos in nineteen seventy five. He was back from Vietnam and he was a graduate student at UC Berkeley. He was researching cross border raids by Mexican revolutionaries in the nineteen tens, and at the National Archives he'd seen a report on the Texas Rangers role on the border. It was a transcript of hearings at the Texas Capitol, split into three folios, but the third folio was missing.
Speaker 2: And the one that was missing seemed to have all the information about out ranger activity. Why isn't it there?
Speaker 1: James thought that the complete report might still be in Austin, so he went to take a look in the middle of what was still a sleepy college town. The Texas State Archives and Library is a grand, imposing building right next to the Capitol.
Speaker 2: Well, I thought, boy, this is on a par with the archival storage facilities in Washington, d C.
Speaker 3: I thought, you know who.
Speaker 2: These people take their history seriously.
Speaker 1: And they did and do Inside he flipped through the card catalog and found the report, all three.
Speaker 2: Volumes, and I was told, well, you know, the Canalists investigation is closed and it won't be open for fifty years. And I said, excuse me, this is nineteen seventy five. The investigation was in nineteen nineteen. I think, even in history, you've got to do the math. And she went downstairs and talked to some people, and she came back an hour later and said, well, I guess you're going to get to look at it.
Speaker 1: James wondered, that was so delicate that it had to be locked away for half a century.
Speaker 2: It was on a cart, and it was she had somebody helping her pull the cart.
Speaker 1: It was more than sixteen hundred pages from nineteen nineteen. James began to read.
Speaker 2: I was just I was stunned. I was stunned at what I found.
Speaker 1: In the third volume, he found testimony about dozens of instances of ranger attacks, crimes and murders, testimony from survivors of Porbanir.
Speaker 2: You know, it was just boom, boom boom. I thought, this is this is incredible and first of all, second thought, it is no wonder if they wanted to keep this seal for as long as they could. According to James, by sealing that document for fifty years, there was a very vivid hope there would be no further inquiry. Whatever the official story was, that would be the official story.
Speaker 1: In this episode, we're going to find out how that happened, how that official story took hold, and how this other version of events, even though the state locked up the records survived anyway. From Texas Monthly, This is White Hats, a story of the legendary Texas Rangers and a struggle for the soul of Texas. I'm your host, Jack Arera. This is episode four the Cold Case. Back in nineteen eighteen, as Lore Sandre continued to rage in South Texas, one Texas lawmaker began to hear disturbing reports. His name was Jose Tomascanales. He's the man behind the Canalis investigation, those shocking documents James Sandos found in nineteen seventy five.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so he is. At the time, he's the sole Mexican American elected state.
Speaker 1: Representative is Monica Muno's Martinez.
Speaker 4: He's from Brownsville and start receiving complaints about violence by Texas rangers.
Speaker 1: Monica is a professor at the University of Texas in Austin.
Speaker 4: So I'm a historian of US history of race relations in the US. My primary research is focused on Texas and the history of racial violence in Texas.
Speaker 1: Monica has spent more than a decade researching the Porvenian massacre, and she explains that in the year after it happened, Canalis began working for justice for the survivors and other victims of ranger of violence. He heard stories of prisoners who'd been taken by the rangers from local shriffs and shot in the brush, of people who've been pistol whipped and tortured, and of a small village of Borvnir where rangers had killed fifteen men. Canal has tried to raise the alarm in Austin. He very much.
Speaker 4: Believed in the system and his ability as a politician to go through the proper channels, you know, writing to Jugend General, writing to the governor, to try to get help in curtailing these acts of violence by Texas rangers.
Speaker 1: Canalis was a gentleman. He was born in eighteen seventy seven on his family's ranch, a large estate outside of Kingsville. The Canalis family had roots in Texas deeper than the state itself. They were at the Hanos, whose claims the land went all the way back to the Spanish crown. He studied law at the University of Michigan and entered the Texas State House as a Democrat in nineteen oh five. He represented the area around Brownsville, the lush border town where the Rio Grande empties into the Gulf of Mexico, the Idara family in Laredo. The newspaper publishers you heard about in the last episode, they actually wrote about Canatis and the discrimination he faced in the capitol, in a story that describes how Mexican people were denied service at shops or denied the right to vote. They write that even Canals's fellow Lawmads had called him el Mechicano seboso, the greaser Mexican. But he was also insulated, in part by his own enormous wealth. In Austin, he went by Joe.
Speaker 4: He's from a wealthy Dahano family. His wife is white right. So in this era, when you see all of these Jim Crow Wancrow laws being passed, all of segregation being built into the institutions, he flies in the face of all of that.
Speaker 1: For months, Canalis asked the governor to reign in the rangers, but the governor put him off with false promises, and officials in Austin worked to undercut him, and his word spread that Canalis was investigating the Rangers. It earned him enemies. In December, almost a year after the Bordevinir massacre, a ranger approached canals in the border town of San Benito. He was over six feet tall and around two hundred and thirty pounds, and he had a violent reputation. His name was Frank Kamer, and he had a message for Canals.
Speaker 4: And essentially, you know, threatens him like if you go through with this, you know you're gonna regret it.
Speaker 1: But Hamer's threats motivated him. The lawmaker gave up appealing to the governor and took matters into his own hands. Less than a month after Hamer confronted him, Gannellis introduced a daring piece of legislation.
Speaker 4: So he is in the company of others who are saying, we've got to stop, we have to stop this filence by the Texas Rangers. He gains enough support to pass h B five, which is a bill that calls for a hearing an investigation to the Texas Rangers. It's also calling for the same kinds of reforms that you hear about people advocating today that text Range should be under bond, that you should increase their wages so that you have, you know, a more competitive pool of people applying for these positions, but also that you reduce the force and you eliminate, you know, having these people who who have these bloody records from being on the force.
Speaker 1: But lawmakers were outraged by even at of criticism against the Rangers. They accused Canalis of lying and demanded that he produce evidence.
Speaker 4: And so what you get is two and a half weeks of over eighty witnesses coming in either to support the Texas Rangers and endorse their practices or violent practices, or to bring evidence of harms that they have caused, murders that they've committed, participating in torture of prisoners.
Speaker 1: In a room at the state Capitol, a handful of wall makers listen and question witnesses. Canalis actually isn't on the panel, but he's allowed to join in and ask questions. He and other witnesses sit in the room with the same men they're accusing. Canali has worried about assassination attempts and outside the capital. Frank camer had stocked Canalis around Austin, reminding him that he was watching. But Canalis succeeds in getting accounts of the Rangers brutality committed to the official record. Witnesses came from all backgrounds. In Anglo woman complains about Rangers quote reign of terror in South Texas. An Anglo judge describes how Ranger captain, who seemed to be drunk, approached him in the courthouse and pistol whipped him. That Ranger captain was named John J. Sanders. Sanders took the stand and admitted that he attacked the judge. He said he felt justified because the judge had published writing that condemned the Rangers attacks on Mexicans. Ganalis introduced more charges of his own, that Rangers tortured a Mexican American man in Duval County, that they murdered others in Cameron County, and Rio Grande City. The eleventh charge he brought is one you've already heard. Gannalis read it to the record. He said, I charge that on January twenty eighth, nineteen eighteen, fifteen Mexicans, after they'd been arrested in disarmed by the state rangers at Al Borvener Presidio County, were murdered by said rangers without any justification or excuse. By this time, more than a year had been passed since the massacre, and throughout the rangers of Company B had proclaimed their innocence. An outpass on newspaper had reported on the massacre but claimed that the massacred villagers were raiders and squatters, but the real story still got out. The survivors fled into Mexico and told officials there what had happened. Mexican officials complained to Washington, and eventually, under pressure from both federal governments, Texas Governor William Hobby dismissed five of the rangers and pushed Captain J. M. Fox for his resignation. But to the survivors of Borviner this was still not justice. Canalis's hearings in Austin gave them another chance. Lawmakers read a long collection of their testimonies. There was sixty six year old one Mendez who recalled quote the dead bodies were left lying in the same place where they were. The bodies had been shot straight through and in their heads, and Babla Menez explained that the men killed were peaceable citizen and dedicated completely to their work. For years, Rangers had been killing people of Mexican descent with near impunity, as the English language press cheered them on for stopping the bandits. Now, thanks to the state houses, only the Hano member survivors were getting to tell their side of the story in the capitol in the public record. But the Rangers fought back. The Rangers had a legal team of the hearings, and this was their strategy. Instead of letting the hearings proceed as an investigation of the Rangers, they would use them as an opportunity to take down the Rangers' most powerful critic, Ganals.
Speaker 4: You know, the lawyers for the Texas Rangers say, we need to question this guy's motives to see why he is bringing these charges, and so they smear him. They make these accusations that you know, because he has Mexican blood in his veins, that he is unconsciously loyal to Mexico and not to the United States.
Speaker 1: One of the Rangers lawyers asked Canalis multiple times if he was, quote by blood, a Mexican. Canalis replied, I am not a Mexican. I'm an American citizen. But the Rangers attorney declared, quote, blood is thicker than water. The lawyers also questioned Canalis's mental state. They suggested he'd imagine that Hamer had threatened him in Austin. They said, now, isn't it a fact, mister Canalis, that you have become obsessed in a way with suspicion and hallucination regarding the seriousness of this matter.
Speaker 4: They publicly go out of their way to try to humiliate him, to call him to question, and it's a hard transcript to read the sort of disdain that they showed for him.
Speaker 1: Ganellis isn't the only person the Rangers lawyer's attack. They throw doubt on essentially everyone who challenges the Rangers. After Canalis introduced the charge of the Porvenir massacre, the lawmakers read the account of Fox, the captain of Company B. Rangers, described the massacre as a shootout with bandits.
Speaker 4: And Fox continues to contest it, you know, and what he's also contesting is not you know in the end that the massacre happened, but like what's wrong with it?
Speaker 1: And that idea what's wrong with it permeated the entire Canalist investigation. Captain John Sanders, who had pistol, whipped that judge explained that residents on the border were terrified because they'd heard that Mexican mobs were coming to rob the banks and burn the towns. A US congressman from West Texas and Claude Benton Hudsmith, offered his own philosophy for survival along the border. He told lawmakers that to quote, put down this lawlessness. You have got to kill those Mexicans when you find them, or they will kill you. Today, the counties of the west of Borvenier is called Hudsmith County after that congressman. Through all of this, Canalis keeps his school. He tells the lawmakers that even with the harm they've caused, he still believes in the rain. He says that knowing the range of forces, I do, I know that we need the rangers.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: He's a complicated figure and he One of the ways that he actually tries to defend himself when he's being interrogated is actually by saying, like, you know, I fund Texas Rangers and I support them so, and he refers to the era of Texas Rangers from the late nineteenth century is like the good old days, right, That's like when Texas Rangers they are committing murders and massacres of Mexicans, but they're also committing acts of brutality against indigenous people.
Speaker 1: Ganalis isn't just being diplomatic. He had close friends who are rangers, and he says he feels caught between the devil and the deep blue sea, between those who want to abolish the Rangers and those who want to put them on a pedestal. All he wants, he says, is to purge the Rangers of what he calls their bad element. Ganellis says, I'm not here to protect any Mexican bandits, but if a man is murdered, another man shouldn't be murdered. After twelve days of testimony, the hearings come to a close.
Speaker 4: And they release a report. Their findings are that there were absolutely some civil rights abuses by Texas Rangers, that they absolutely committed some horrific acts of violence, but that on the whole that Texas Rangers did the best that they could in violent circumstances. And so the Committee buys into the version that the lawyers for the Texas Rangers submitted that South Texas is a violent place, that Mexicans are inherently violent people, and that to control those populations you have to use force.
Speaker 1: In nineteen twenty five, Captain J. M. Fox was welcomed back into the Ranger force. Other Rangers who'd been dismissed for the role in the Bordavnir massacre were also reinstated.
Speaker 4: And so what you don't see is any prosecution. So in the case is when there's clear evidence of Texas Range participating in murders, the Committee doesn't call for those text of Strangers to be prosecuted.
Speaker 1: For survivors like Juan Flores, who you heard about in the last episode, it must have been a heartbreaking moment. Over a year after the massacre, after round's a painful testimony, he and his family had nothing to show for it, no justice.
Speaker 4: Juan Bodina Floris is somebody whose life I've spent a lot of time thinking about I mean, so here's this child who's just experienced this massacre. You know, then he's tasked with going to get the teacher, going to get Warren for help. And then Juan has to participate in this act of identifying the remains of his father. And so the kinds of injustices that people feel are multiple. It's not just the injustice about the massacre itself, but it's the injustice of the failure to fully acknowledge and reckon with the harm cause and so instead you have the racist tropes of Mexicans continue. And the other thing that happens is that these investigations, these volumes are not made public.
Speaker 1: After the hearings, Canalis began working for change outside of the Capitol. In nineteen twenty nine, he joined other Tahano progressives, including Jovite Dad's brother Edgardo dar in founding LULAC, the League of United Latin American Citizens. Today, it's the oldest and largest Latino civil rights organization in the country, and Canalis did win some meaningful reforms at the Capitol after the hearings. The ranger force was reduced, pay was increased, and the state created new requirements to become a Ranger, and Monica says that after the Canalis investigation, the Rangers made an effort to move on.
Speaker 4: And so the sort of convenient version of this history, the whitewashed version of this history, is that there's this hearing in nineteen nineteen. You know, if Texas Rangers are let go, and the Texas Ranger force moves on and it professionalizes, and so Hamer becomes a symbol of this kind of progression.
Speaker 1: Frank Hamer, the same guy who threatened JT. Kanalis. He becomes one of the most celebrated Rangers in Texas history. If you know any Texas Rangers by name, you've probably heard of Frank Hamer. They're still making movies about.
Speaker 5: Him's a time we put a pair of man killers on the trail and let them do their job.
Speaker 4: This is nineteen thirty four, Lee, and you want to put cowboys on Buddy and Claude.
Speaker 1: Is that what you're.
Speaker 6: Selling, Frank Hamer, That's what I'm selling.
Speaker 1: That's from the movie The Highwaymen from twenty nineteen. Kevin Costner played Hamer that movie. And Hamer's legend isn't about the nineteen tens. When Hamer fought in the Bandit Wars and threatened Canalis. Hamer had a long, storied career.
Speaker 6: He, in my opinion, was the greatest American lawman of the twentieth century. Nobody had a career that came close to Frank Hamer's.
Speaker 1: That's John Bosnecker. He wrote a best selling biography of Hamer in twenty sixteen. Francis Augustus Hamer was born in eighteen eighty four in Fairview, Texas, just north of Dallas. As a boy, he read stories about the rangers' battles against the Comanche and Kiowa, and in nineteen oh six he joined a ranger company in South Texas, patrolling the Mexican border.
Speaker 6: He had no intention of ever going into law enforcement, but he was an expert horseman, an expert cowboy in West Texas, crack shot, and incredibly intelligent. He only had a sixth grade education, but he was naturally intelligent.
Speaker 1: Hamer served along the border under Captain J. M. Fox in the conflict Rangers called the Bandit War, and Hamer saw some of its most brutal action. The rebels, Saidisnistas, derailed a train, attacked ranches, and killed indiscriminately. Hamer saw the terror they had inflicted on South Texans. It was Texas Governor James Ferguson who dispatched Fox along with Ranger Captain Harry Ransom to deal with the insurgency in South Texas. Both men already had bloody reputations. Ferguson told them to do whatever it took to stop the violence, and he said he'd pardon them if they'd broke any laws. From his letters, we know how Hamer felt about these two men.
Speaker 6: I think that Hamer was disgusted with both Captain Fox and with Captain Ransom. Hamer had multiple encounters with both of them and strongly disliked them and believed they'd brought terrible discredit to the Ranger Service.
Speaker 1: Even know Hamer served under Fox, John says, it's important to understand that Hamer wasn't at Porvenia.
Speaker 6: Hamer certainly had controversial aspects to his career and certainly made some terrible errors of judgment during his career, but none of them were taking part in these evaporations.
Speaker 1: Hamer saw the aftermath of the largest battle of the Bandit Wars in nineteen fifteen, about fifteen surgeons attacked a railroad stop at the King Ranch, the biggest richest ranch in Texas. The battle was called the Noreas Raid. For hours, Fox and the Rangers exchanged gunfire with the rebels. The fighting had already ended when Hamer arrived with Fox, he searched the area looking for any rebels who had escaped. Using his Winchester rifle, he pulled open the door to a shack. The site that greeted him was horrific. On the floor was the body of a Mexican woman. The back of her head had been shot off by the rebels. A group of Mexican railroad workers huddled next to her, surrounded by her blood. In South Texas, Hamer and the Rangers felt like they were fighting a war rather than acting as police.
Speaker 6: If you look at it as a military expedition carried out on the Mexican Texas border. You know the Special Forces. When they ambush a patrol of ISIS fighters, they open fire. They don't order them to surrender.
Speaker 1: Like many Rangers, Hamer believed that the only way to stop the rebels was with the shock in All campaign and after the Notius Raid, he tried to send them a message.
Speaker 6: And in the morning, Hamer and Captain Fox and some other men posed for photographs where they had lariats looped around the bodies of several of these dead rebels or bandits, depending upon how you look at it. And these were widely sold throughout the border region, even in north in Mexico, and they just enraged the Latino population because it was a picture of the very complaint against the rangers misabusing Tejanos.
Speaker 1: This was a time when postcards of black men being lynched were sold in stores across the South, and understandably, many people in Mexico and South Texas interpreted the photo as an image of Texas rangers lynching Mexicans.
Speaker 6: It was one of the biggest blunders of his career was to pose for that photo. And during the later Canalis hearings, one of the US Cavalry officers testified that those photos did a tremendous amount of damage because it incited feelings against Texans by people in northern Mexico.
Speaker 1: After the Canella's hearings, as dozens of rangers were fired and the force was professionalized, Hamer was one of the rangers who managed to keep his job. But now the rangers were changing, and he had to change too. John says, you can see this new chapter begin in of all places, a meeting of the Ku Klux Klan.
Speaker 6: And his friends come and invite him to a meeting of the clan, and they tell him it's to support law enforcement, and Hamer says, I'm all for anything that supports law enforcement. So he goes to the meeting, and part way through the meeting, they bring up an African American prostitute and they start planning in the meeting that they're going to grab this prostitute and tar and feather her and ride her out of town on a rail. And Hamer listens to this for a few minutes, and he stands up and he says, if anybody in this room lays a finger on that woman, I'll put him in prison. And he stormed out of the meeting, and ever after he's a bitter enemy of the Ku Klux Klan.
Speaker 1: John argues that Hamer did more than any other lawman in Texas to stop the practice of lynching in the state.
Speaker 6: This is the Jim Crow era. He was a white supremacist, but he also believed in the civil rights of blacks, and he believed strongly against lynching, so during his career he personally saved fifteen African Americans from lynch mobs, and then he led the fight against the Klan in Texas in the nineteen twenties.
Speaker 1: In one dramatic instance, a black man in Waco had been accused of rape and a lynch mob had surrounded the courthouse looking to kill him.
Speaker 6: And the sheriff and the county judge are pleading with them to break up. People have all lost your minds, go home, let the law take its course. And a motor car with five men pulls up to the curb, and this burly man wearing a fedora and carrying a Thompson submachine gun walks very quietly through the mob. He goes up the steps of the courthouse and he sits down on the top step and he just swings the barrel of the Thompson submachine gun to face the mob. He doesn't say a word, and suddenly people in the mob start saying, that's Hamer, that's Captain Hamer. He's killed twenty five men. That's Hamer. And the mob just drifts away. But that was his reputation because at this point, you know by that time in the nineteen twenties. He's the most famous lawman in the American Southwest.
Speaker 1: Abruptly, though, in nineteen thirty three, the new Texas Governor, Miriam Ma Ferguson fired all the Rangers. Her decision wasn't about the Rangers' methods or about how modern Texas was changing. She just didn't like them. They had supported her opponent, the last governor, in the election, and for a moment, Texas was without his Rangers. But in nineteen thirty four, Hamer would crack the case that turned him into a Texas legend and helped resurrect the range of force.
Speaker 7: Clyde Barrow, the most ruthless killer of the Southwest has ever known, was granted a parole from the Texas State Penetentiary on February second, nineteen thirty two. After Clyde had become a full fledged killer and gone in for big time crime, he met Bonnie Parker, waitresses and wife of a convict. What attracted this strange pair to each other will never be known.
Speaker 1: Bonnie Parker and Clyde Barrow were on a deadly spree of small time robberies, prison breaks, and hold ups across the country. This was the Great Depression, and in the press they became outlaw folk heroes, and Hamer came out of retirement for one last big job. For months, he tracked Bonnie and Clyde. He went so far as to acquire the same nineteen thirty four ford that they drove, and he slept in it, living on the road just like they did. And on May twenty third of that year, he was way for them in the brush, along with the posse of five other officers.
Speaker 3: Death is at the steering wheel, the inevitable end retribution.
Speaker 7: Here is Clyde, Beryl and Bonnie Parker, who died as they lived by the gun.
Speaker 1: The famous outlaws were dead, and the men who'd killed them had stepped into their spotlight. After decades as a lawman, Frank Hamer became a celebrity. His long career tracks the same arc of the Texas Rangers. After surviving dozens of gunfights, he cracked his most famous case as an investigator, a detective following the clues. When the Rangers were resurrected in nineteen thirty five under a new governor, this was their job description as a branch of the new Texas Department of public safety. The Rangers became a modern police force, the state's elite investigators. Hamer's heroics also coincided with the major history of the Rangers written by a friend of his, Walter Prescott Webb. Webb is probably Texas's most influential historian, and he wrote the first great history of the Rangers, The Texas Rangers, a Century of Frontier Defense. The Bonnie and Clyde affair helped convince Texas it still needed real life Rangers, but it's Webb who made those Rangers into legends. Webb dug into the Ranger's own reports and wrote a history of the great Ranger leaders Jack Coffee, Hayes, Leander McNelly, and Frank Hamer. Of course, the book came out in nineteen thirty five and readers loved it. Hollywood even made it into a movie called The Texas Rangers.
Speaker 3: These are the men called Texas Rangers, molded in the crucible of heroics, struggles, guardians of the Frontiers makers.
Speaker 1: The web celebration of the Rangers is one sided. The book has been described as a life of saints. When I first read it, I assume that Web just didn't know what the Rangers had done during La Matanza that he'd never come across stories told by survivors of Borvenir. But I was wrong. When James Sandoz finally got the Canalist transcripts unsealed in the seventies, the archivist told.
Speaker 2: Him, no one has seen this report since Walter Prescott Web, And I said before he wrote his book on the Texas Rangers. As he said, yes, that's the only person who's seen it since nineteen nineteen.
Speaker 1: It's not just that Web included the Canali's hearings in his research. Years later, he said the hearings were actually what motivated him to write his book.
Speaker 4: He's not telling the story from the point of view of people who were massacred. He's telling it from the point of view of the Texas Rangers, and so he's justifying their action.
Speaker 1: It may not have been great history, but it was great entertainment. In the forties and fifties, the Rangers had a real pop culture renaissance.
Speaker 3: Texas Rangers first two advanced, last to retreat.
Speaker 8: Fiery, Harsh, with the speed of light, a cloud of dust and a hardy oil silver, A lone.
Speaker 1: Ranger as the country singer tex Ridder put it.
Speaker 5: I'll bet there's not a boy girl in this whole country of ours who hasn't thrilled the stories of the Texas Rangers. The high principles and courage of that failst little band of men will remain an inspiration to us down through all the years.
Speaker 1: In nineteen fifty seven, a state Senator from West Texas named Dorsey B. Hardiman introduced an amendment saying, quote, the Texas Rangers shall not be abolished. It is still today actually against the law to get rid of the Rangers. I had to ask Monica to help me understand, just forty years after Borvenir, how did the Rangers become bigger heroes than ever?
Speaker 4: It happens because somebody like Walter Prescott Webb doesn't see the humanity of the victims.
Speaker 1: But it's Webb's version of the Rangers that took hold. When Monica was taking seventh grade Texas history in the nineties, she says she didn't learn any stories about Ranger abuse. Still, there were places where the stories survived. Sometimes they survived in songs. Did you grow up with any folk allusions to what had happened in early twentieth century to Mexican Americans and Mexicans at the end of the Texas Rangers or is that totally revelatory when you start learning about it.
Speaker 4: It was totally revelatory, although I should say I had heard the corrido ye.
Speaker 5: Lucien al.
Speaker 1: She'd heard a version recorded by one of the legends of Mexican ortheno.
Speaker 4: Music, Ramoniela. He's saying that ballad and so.
Speaker 1: That about oral history.
Speaker 4: Yeah, you know, so it's a Mexican ballad tradition.
Speaker 1: Gregorio Cortez tells the story of what happened on a ranch southwest of San Antonio in nineteen oh one. A sheriff got into an argument with the rancher and shot him, and in return, the dying man's brother, Gregorio Cortez, shot the sheriff. Then Gregorio disappeared.
Speaker 9: Yeah, greg Cortes mamoienda macien.
Speaker 4: And part of what was the sort of folklore around it was not only his brother being killed in him shooting a law enforcement agent, but that he had made fools of the Texas Rangers that were trying to hunt him down.
Speaker 1: For ten days, Gregorio led hundreds of men, including Texas Rangers, on one of the largest man hunts the country had ever seen.
Speaker 4: And there was a sense of for Mexican American populations that new histories of oppression and violence and racism, that he was a folk hero.
Speaker 1: So while the official history of the Rangers was written by men like Walter Prescott Webb about heroes like Frank Hamer, Gorrios helped another version of the history, the Hanos version of the history, survive. In nineteen fifty eight, at the height of the Rangers' popularity, an author from South Texas named Americo Barreres published a book about Gregorio Cortez. Barreres was one of the first scholars in Texas to elucidate Mexican American identity, and his book called With His Pistol in his Hand, helped inspire the Chicano movement. Monica's parents grew up during this time.
Speaker 4: They taught me and my sister to think critically about the way that issues around race or civil rights are framed in the press, and so I learned to think critically of issues, but also to think critically of history.
Speaker 1: Monica grew up in Uvaldi, Texas. It's about ninety minutes west of San Antonio, towards the border. Today it's known as the site of the deadliest school shooting in Texas history. But fourteen years before Monica was born, Euvoldi was in the news because of a student protest.
Speaker 4: My mom shared a memory with me when I remember looking at photographs of the school walkout.
Speaker 1: In the nineteen sixties, Chicano activists, inspired by writers like Americo Bareres, had been organizing voters and raising money to pay poll taxes and supporting Mexican American candidates. Mexican American students in South Texas were staging protests against school segregation, and then in nineteen the school board in Valdi fired a teacher named hassueg Gaiza. He was a beloved figure for Mexican American students, but when he ran for county judge, part of this movement to claim the Hano political power, the district refused to renew his contract. Students rallied around him. They delivered a list of demands, and as many as six hundred of them walked out of class and led marches. Monica's mother was one of them.
Speaker 4: And you see elementary school kids and high school kids in their single file lines. And I asked her, I said, you know, why are we always walking in these lines? And she explained that the Texas Rangers and the local law enforcement were writing to arrest anybody who didn't stay on the sidewalks.
Speaker 1: Witnesses remember that two dozen Texas Rangers and two State police helicopters came to town.
Speaker 4: My parents, who were sophomores at the time, also knowing they knew the history of brutality. They knew the history, they knew the recent history of some of the Texas Rangers that were there, like ay.
Speaker 1: Lee Alfred Young. Ali was the captain of the Rangers Company D. He developed a troubled reputation in South Texas.
Speaker 7: Right.
Speaker 4: It wasn't only that he was an intimidating factor as a law enforcement officer, right, criminalizing, making these kids and these parents out to be some threat, but also that they had records of violence.
Speaker 1: A reporter in the seventies called Ali the last of the old time Rangers. He joined the force in nineteen thirty one, and his grandfather, father, and son were all Rangers too. Ali was a compelling figure for new Rangers. Here's how one of them, Jerome Price, remembered him.
Speaker 9: We the Rangery Company D at that time, it's under the head of Captain A Y Ali, the great Texas Ranger, captain whom I had admired as a young man, and hope that every vacancy was ever came up in the Rangers, that it could be under Captain Ali.
Speaker 1: But by nineteen seventy, Ali was also notorious in South Texas, especially among Mexican Americans gives sans and mostly for one incident, his response to a farm worker strike on the border in Star County.
Speaker 8: Delos Boni.
Speaker 1: Eso anay. It even inspired a new Koreo los Rinces de Dejas sung here by Deeto Reinosa. It describes an act of bloodshed against those farm owners then marry Tonio.
Speaker 4: And Joe Ang.
Speaker 1: It also inspired a lawsuit accusing Ali and his rangers and the local sheriff of violence an orbit trary arrests. It went all the way to the Supreme Court.
Speaker 10: On appeal from a three judge district court in Texas, and the controversy rose in connection with the effort of the union to unionize farm workers.
Speaker 1: Ultimately, the case wound up giving more protections to labor organizers in Texas and at a federal Civil rights hearing in San Antonio, people came forward accusing Ali of slapping them and roughly grabbing them by the pants. Ali was at that hearing, and as the audience booed him, he defended himself, saying it was the organizers who'd been loud and abusive elsewhere. Ali called the accusations quote just a bunch of perjuries and complained that this civil rights was the dog gondess business I ever heard of. But he also later admitted to hitting an organizer named Magdaleno Dimas with the barrel of his shotgun. Dimas wound up hospitalized with a concussion and spinal damage. This was the same ranger captain who led the response to the student walkout in Uvaldi. It was an unmistakable history lesson.
Speaker 4: I remember talking to my Tia Rodriguez, who recalled the memories of walking into the school buildings to meet try to meet with school board members and seeing Texas Rangers on the rooftops with rifles, you know, pointed down at them at high schoolers basically, and parents at high schoolers and parents, yes, children, also elementary school children.
Speaker 1: Many students kept quiet about the protests for years afterward.
Speaker 4: But growing up it was the history of the school walk out was something that people talked about in private in their family homes and family barbecues at gatherings, but it was still a history that had not been actually publicly reckoned with. There was still a sense that, you know, the students had walked out were troublemakers. And so it was the lessons that I learned about the past were you know, that these calls for justice were unanswered, that they were continue knewing, but also that people who stood up and vocalized their concerns did so, and they may create sacrifices for it.
Speaker 1: Like texts itself. The Rangers have tried to move on from the violence of the twentieth century, but they still carry the same name and wear the same white hats of those Rangers of the past. For today's Rangers, what's changed and what hasn't next time on white hats.
Speaker 8: Everyone has something in the past, probably that they're not proud of. But you change that and the Rangers change and they progress. You know, if the Rangers have been around for two hundred years, they've vound to be doing something right.
Speaker 2: So this whole myth about them being the standard barrel for what just is supposed to be like.
Speaker 8: It's all BS.
Speaker 4: I can tell you that because I witnessed it, I experienced it the firsthand.
Speaker 1: This episode features additional field record by Katie mcmurran. Archival tape in this episode was from the nineteen thirty four news film The Retribution of Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker from the Jamison Film Company. Via the Texas Archive of the Moving Image and the University of Texas at San Antonio Institute of Texan Culture's Oral History Collection. You can read more about the stories in this episode in the Injustice Never Leaves You by Monica Munyas Martinez and Texas Ranger The Epic Life of Frank Hamer, The Man Who Killed Bonnie and Clyde by John Bosnecker. Special thanks for Reescher's help on this episode to the Legislative Reference Library of Texas and to the Vosses Oral History Center at the University of Texas at Austin. White Hats is a Texas monthly production. The show is produced and edited by Patrick Michaels and produced and engineered by Brian Standifer, who also wrote the music. Additional production is by Isabella Van Trees and Claire Mcinernie. Additional editing by Ray Bartholomew. Our reporting team included Mike Hall, Kat Catanas, and Christian Wallace. Will Bostwick is our factchecker. Artwork is by Emily Kimbrell and Victoria Milner. I'm your host and writer Jack Adredra. See you next week.